PDA

View Full Version : Teyo Johnson

CyberTexan
09-04-2005, 02:59 PM
I heard Teyo Johnson was let go by the Raiders , is that true ? and does anyone think he would be a good pick up if so ?

TMac48
09-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Yep, it's true. I doubt our front office will go after him though, seeing as how we just released Billy and all.

jacquescas
09-04-2005, 04:28 PM
umm yes sign him. former 2nd round pick, has that long athletic basketball body like gonzales and gates, only 23 years old.

Teyo Johnson 6'6 260lbs

2005 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 68 | Key
Alert: None

Comment:
He has the versatility to align on the line, in the backfield, out wide, and in the slot. He is an exceptional athlete that can run. He shows the speed to separate and stretch the middle of the field. He is a physical receiving TE that will push off to create separation. Good reach block effort. Can come off the ball and make strong initial contact. Can motion and position block on LB's and DE's. Has given effort to improve as a blocker, but he is still a ways away. Not physical at the point of attack. Can get his legs locked when engaged. Will hop on his catch. Didn't get a lot of touches and chances to run after the catch last season despite his special abilities in this area. He can lose focus and have easy ball drops. He is a player that needs to mature and develop more consistent work habits.

i mean compared to what we have on the roster now.

Bruener had 4 catches for 52 yards last year. rivers had 5 for 36 and one TD last year.

and underused Teyo Johnson out did that last year. He had more production that all our tight ends and is younger bigger faster and stronger. He isn't that great of a blocker but much better than Billy Miller and is much taller and weighs more.

I dont care what anyone else says Teyo Johnson needs to become a Texan give Carr another weapon. We have the cap room. We already have guys infront so he can work his way into the rotation. We sign him today and people will be saying Joppru? Remember year 1 when we had a tight end who could catch Miller lead our team in receptions. having Teyo will give Carr that saftey valve back but in a real tight end body.

TMac48
09-04-2005, 04:39 PM
The problem is that we released Miller because the coaches have decided that the pass-catching tight end is no longer a part of our offense. Why would we go sign this guy?

PapaL
09-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Didn't we just release a player in his mold?

ESPN: (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2151804)
TE Teyo Johnson, Oakland (experience: two seasons): A second-round choice in the 2003 draft, the former Stanford standout never quite developed into the player Raiders coaches thought might dominate the middle of the field. More a receiver than a blocker, he nonetheless had only 23 catches in 24 appearances over two seasons, and eventually fell into coach Norv Turner's doghouse. At 6-feet-6 and 260 pounds, though, and with the basketball-type skills teams covet at the position, he'll be intriguing to someone.

jacquescas
09-04-2005, 04:43 PM
yes but miller was also undersized for the position. Teyo has the size needed and if he could become an adquet run blocker he would be an improvement

everyone says carr needs to get the ball out quick, well thats wht a TE who can get the ball can do.

rmartin65
09-04-2005, 04:49 PM
sounds good to me

PapaL
09-04-2005, 04:54 PM
TE Teyo Johnson - 6-6 and 260lbs
TE Billy Miller - 6-3 245lbs

CyberTexan
09-04-2005, 05:34 PM
I think Teyo has alot better potential than Miller had , he has the size and can catch you can teach blocking to a guy that size. I agree too if Carr is supposed to get rid of the ball quicker TE is a great place to do that.Cut Joppru take our losses there too injury prone sign Teyo :texans:

rmartin65
09-04-2005, 05:57 PM
or just sign him and use it as incentive for joppru

Grid
09-04-2005, 06:30 PM
we have a glut of talented slot receivers to do the job that other teams would use a TE for.

TigerV1
09-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Or is there even a problem at all? Since Teyo Johnson has been released, is he worth picking up? I am not familiar with his blocking ability, but isn't he a pretty decent receiving TE? Being 6'6" and 260 lbs he could be a big help if his blocking ability is good.

CyberTexan
09-05-2005, 06:21 PM
I started a post suggesting the same thing that we really could use him good size and reciever had alot of people here saying the same thing that they liked the idea as well but somone decided to delete the post i guess. :brickwall

Rightnow
09-05-2005, 07:06 PM
If we pick up another TE we will have to let somebody go. I would probably be Rivers. I don't know if we need a new tight end. I don't think our offense style has them do anything but block. Bruener is a very good blocker.

texasguy346
09-05-2005, 07:12 PM
I started a post suggesting the same thing that we really could use him good size and reciever had alot of people here saying the same thing that they liked the idea as well but somone decided to delete the post i guess. :brickwall

It was moved to the NFL Forum. That's generally where we post things like that.

**There we go I went ahead and merged the two threads together.

bckey
09-05-2005, 07:17 PM
If we pick up another TE we will have to let somebody go. I would probably be Rivers. I don't know if we need a new tight end. I don't think our offense style has them do anything but block. Bruener is a very good blocker.

If our offense was just going to use the TE to block then we might as well put another OL out there and also we would have never drafted Joppru. I think the TE is way under used in our offense but I think it has been due to us not having one that can block and catch. Hopefully Murphy can change that this year. I am all for taking a look at Teyo Johnson. Can't hurt.

El Tejano
09-05-2005, 10:43 PM
We need to sign him for the mere fact we have his rookie card for sale on our website. ha Ha ha!!! I never understood that. Can anyone pleases explain?

http://store.houstontexans.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1374937&cp=1883994.1905678&page=2&doVSearch=no&pageBucket=0&parentPage=family

WildBlackBear32
09-06-2005, 12:03 AM
That is really strange....I donno. I hear Teyo Johnson is a real headcase and not someone you want in the locker room...rumors, but I've seen some tidbits on him that have not put him in a good light.

PBuch had the same rep and we took a chance on him...

Elite
09-06-2005, 12:19 AM
i would like to have a big target like teyo he showed alot of potential two years ago i believe. but was never to be heard of again. :texans:

El Tejano
09-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Still no reason on why we are selling his rookie card on our website?

TheOgre
09-06-2005, 05:34 PM
I had heard that Courtney Anderson was going to win that job (Raider's TE) a few weeks ago. I guess that made Teyo expendable.

D-ReK
11-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Cardinals November 23: Signed center Shawn Lynch from the practice squad; released tight end Teyo Johnson.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6399

Should we take a look? I know he's not a good blocker, but still...