PDA

View Full Version : Roster Cut Down | Chronicle

Vinny
09-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Swinton, who played at Dallas and Detroit before coming to Houston, also led the team in kickoff returns (30.9-yard average) and punt returns (12.3).

As a second-year receiver, Thomas is a candidate for the practice squad again.

The Texans also waived receiver Donovan Morgan, quarterbacks B.J. Symons and Preston Parsons, running back Adam Matthews, guards Chad Beasley and Brandon Evans, offensive tackle Tim Brown, tight end Aaron Halterman, defensive linemen Jason Davis and Alfred Malone, cornerbacks Chris McKenzie, Jerron Wishom and Jon Pendergrass, safety Jammal Lord, kicker Chris Snyder, punter Cody Scates and linebackers Kenneth Pettway, Frank Chamberlain, Zeke Moreno and Anthony Dunn.

Once the 53-man roster is established, the Texans can sign players to the eight-man practice squad. The Texans also will be looking at candidates for the regular roster and practice squad who have been waived by other teams.

For example, former New England quarterback Rohan Davey, who played at LSU, is getting a tryout today, even though the Texans don't need another player at his position.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3337862

09-03-2005, 01:25 AM
Maybe Vinny gets his wish and Rollhan comes aboard.

Vinny
09-03-2005, 01:27 AM
Roll on Rollhan!!...just keep him away from the biscuits.

ccdude730
09-03-2005, 01:29 AM
im not going to completely disagree with capers, but i do believe it would have been possible to carry a 6th WR on the roster. we will have to see how this pans out to see what other personel they are going to carry.

and so much for my predicted 53 man roster! just CRUMBLE my dreams CAPERS!!!

El Tejano
09-03-2005, 03:07 AM
So was Swinton cut? What happened to Sloan?

ccdude730
09-03-2005, 03:12 AM
So was Swinton cut? What happened to Sloan?
the texans have yet to make a decision on the wide receivers.

the chron is expecting swinton and thomas to be cut. we just have to hope thomas clears waivers so we can sign him to the practice squad. swinton will likely be picked up quickly but another team. i really wish they would keep 6 receivers.

Grid
09-03-2005, 03:16 AM
Id really like to know what coaches daughter Corey Bradford is dating.

Im sorry but WHAT has this guy done? He has been on our team since 2002 and not ONCE has he been an integral part of our offense. If we need SPEED.. then throw Mathis out there and tell him to go deep.

ugh.. Thomas should have made the team. Maybe the coaches just feel that having what is essentially two rookies at WR..is just too risky. But dang it..

I dunno.. maybe its just because Sloan Thomas = Derrick Armstrong = Jabar Gaffney. Maybe you can only use so many "quick" receivers with good hands.

Grid
09-03-2005, 03:18 AM
the texans have yet to make a decision on the wide receivers.

that article is saying that Thomas and Swinton are expected to be cut. Meaning.. it hasnt happened yet.. but they have inside info that says it is going to happen.

El Tejano
09-03-2005, 03:40 AM
Wow, I thought Swinton would be a lock. But i guess if mathis and Buchannon are doing well, that makes him expendable.

3960AD
09-03-2005, 04:40 AM

Looks like Chris's injury hurt him. We'll see him on practice squad.

3960AD
09-03-2005, 04:42 AM
Can BJ make practice squad?????? I thought he did better than Banks....

ccdude730
09-03-2005, 05:10 AM
Can BJ make practice squad?????? I thought he did better than Banks....

him and thomas are both going to get signed to the practice squad. (if your taking about bj symons)

...unless sloan gets picked up by another team though. at least i think thats how it works, they must clear waivers after getting released before getting signed to the PS.

3960AD
09-03-2005, 05:17 AM
him and thomas are both going to get signed to the practice squad. (if your taking about bj symons)

...unless sloan gets picked up by another team though. at least i think thats how it works, they must clear waivers after getting released before getting signed to the PS.

thanks. so with the practice squad, how does it work in regards to the other team (53 squad). are they just like 3-4 stringers??? waiting their turn to be brought up if needed?

clandestin
09-03-2005, 05:23 AM
Practice squad players are inactive (can't play) for all games, unless they get added to the active roster prior to the game. Any team can pick up a practice squad player (from their own or any other team's roster) so long as they are willing to keep them on their active gameday roster.

hot pickle
09-03-2005, 05:53 AM
so Chris McKenzie got released, that sucks I was hoping he would make it :crying:

ArlingtonTexan
09-03-2005, 07:44 AM
that article is saying that Thomas and Swinton are expected to be cut. Meaning.. it hasnt happened yet.. but they have inside info that says it is going to happen.

That article is written weirdly. At the top, it does not sound definitive, but later McClain states that the Texans waived the players. Confusing writing from a career journalist.

I will wait until the Texans post it on thier site.

angeltexus
09-03-2005, 07:44 AM

Im sorry but WHAT has this guy done? He has been on our team since 2002 and not ONCE has he been an integral part of our offense. If we need SPEED.. then throw Mathis out there and tell him to go deep.

ugh.. Thomas should have made the team. Maybe the coaches just feel that having what is essentially two rookies at WR..is just too risky. But dang it..

I dunno.. maybe its just because Sloan Thomas = Derrick Armstrong = Jabar Gaffney. Maybe you can only use so many "quick" receivers with good hands.
Bradford is a mean SOB, he will put a great block and catch a 90 yard bomb. You know we love that down here in the Lone Star State. Now only if he could get open for the first 10 yards!!

nunusguy
09-03-2005, 08:13 AM
That article is written weirdly. At the top, it does not sound definitive, but later McClain states that the Texans waived the players. Confusing writing from a career journalist.
I will wait until the Texans post it on thier site.
I agree to being confused myself. Don't know for sure what is speculation and
what is official. I think you're right Arlington, waiting for the Texans site to
post a statement is the best way to go in this situation.

rmartin65
09-03-2005, 08:21 AM
i was hoping pettway would make it.

Dime
09-03-2005, 09:39 AM
IF sloan does not make it.. it would be the dumbest move since drafting steve. He has shown he is a true NFL reciever. He will not make it to our practice squad. He will be picked up.

cuppacoffee
09-03-2005, 09:57 AM

Hollings must be dating the other daughter. :confused:

3960AD
09-03-2005, 11:45 AM
so Chris McKenzie got released, that sucks I was hoping he would make it :crying:

Yeah it does. He got hurt...after game 1. Was still in a tight spot against Bell. Good thing is that he'll be on practice squad. Shows that the coaches are willing to see him heal and potentially make the active squad if needed.

TexanPride#1
09-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Get rid of bradford. Keep gaff mathis sloan swinton armstrong and of course AJ. Keep 2 TE bruener and murphy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ok:

WILLIEG
09-03-2005, 12:12 PM
I can't believe that Thomas and Swinton didn't make the team with all that they showed in their abilities to be play makers and what in the **** were Capers and others thinking to keep Bradford. That guy is horrible at running routes and even catching the ball. What's really going on here? I Love the Texans but I don't honestly believe that Thomas and Swinton deserved to be cut in my opinion. Someone should be fired for a lack of evaluating good talent when it's right in front of their eyes. :bomb: :texans:

Tulip
09-03-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm bummed. I opened this thread thinking there was an official announcement.

Bubbajwp
09-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Does anybody know what happened to kevin kasper?

Houston_Fan4life
09-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Get rid of Bradford and Murphy. Keep Gaff, Mathis, Sloan, Swinton, Armstrong and of course AJ. Keep 2 TE Bruener and M. Rivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ok:

I dont know why the Texans need cut Sloan Thomas and Reggie Swinton....That soooo stupied cuts

That True....Texans should do because they need cut Corey Bradford and Matt Murphy cause Bradford on preseason...he cant catch the ball and Matt Murphy not good on preseason and both of them dont improve on preseason.......Sloan Thomas and Reggie Swinton.....they make improve that they should make on teams rosters......Sloan Thomas and Reggie Swinton has a good preseason and they got speeding..........

texasguy346
09-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Does anybody know what happened to kevin kasper?

Kasper was cut in the first round of cuts about a week ago.

DefLord
09-03-2005, 01:11 PM
I think this is wrong... Bradford should be CUT... He hasn't proved us anything while Swinton has been EXCELLENT in special teams and proved himself as a receiver along with Sloan. I am really disappointed here.
Besides the fact is that Swinton and Sloan are BOTH younger than Bradford it would have given us a younger corps.

Well Hope they know what they are doing!

:texflag: :rolleyes:

================================================== ========

Loaded at WR, Texans forced to cut two at deadline
By JOHN MCCLAIN
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

When the Texans identify the 22 players they have placed on waivers today, it should be obvious that the toughest cuts came at wide receiver.

Reggie Swinton and Sloan Thomas who led the Texans in scoring and receiving in preseason, respectively are expected to be cut as the roster is reduced to 53 names.

Hottoddie
09-03-2005, 02:41 PM
I sure hope this isn't the true list. But, if it is, I too, agree that Bradford should be cut. Thomas definitely showed that he can play in this league. He's younger, has speed, size, good hands, & he's cheaper than Bradford. Keeping Thomas over Bradford would save us about $660,000 this year. Look for Dallas to snatch up Thomas.

I'd been thinking that Swinton might not make the roster, even with that great return he made. With PB & Mathis able to fill the role & being better/potentially better at their regular positions, it just makes sense.

I'm hoping & praying that McKenzie makes it to our Taxi Squad. Prior to his injury, he was making plays & looking like the steal of this year's college crop. Imo, if McKenzie hadn't gotten injured, he would've beaten out Bell. Bell might be a good special teams player, but he's a liability on coverage. I pray for the day when we can release him.

Chamberlin is also another player that I'm surprised to see on this list. He was making plays all over the field & I felt he was better than Polk. But, that's just my opinion.

The one player that I feel needs to be cut (other than Bradford), is Banks. I feel that Ragone more than showed he's ready to step up to the next level. With Rohan Davey coming in for a tryout, he'd give us a nice nucleous of young talent at the QB position & we'd be able to save about $850,000, less what it would take to sign Davey.

One last thought. I'm also surprised to see Jason Davis (DL) on this list. I've heard CC rave about how much progress Davis has made this year on several occasions & just assumed that he would make the roster. Maybe, CC was building him up & trying to shop him around for a draft pick.

TexasAggie
09-03-2005, 02:50 PM
www.houstonprofootball.com has the same list posted.

the wonger need food
09-03-2005, 03:24 PM
I wonder if this is just speculation by McClain or if he's actually got the inside information. Hollings, Sanders, Bradford and Banks should have all been cut.

To cut the only 2 players to show anything the entire preseason makes no sense.

Scottyboy
09-03-2005, 04:10 PM
I agree, but I think our coaching staff is Mentaly Retarded! :drool: :tomato:

Str8tupg42k1
09-03-2005, 04:31 PM
i havent heard anything yet but the texans still have them on their roster on the website i like everybody hope this isnt true cuz i will be reaaaaaally dissapointed in the coaching staff when they should have released bradford and hollings

Errant Hothy
09-03-2005, 05:10 PM
The offical depth chart no longer shows Thomas or Swinton, but is still show Rivers. It is also shows just 53 players. I wanna know what the staff sees in Hollings and Bradford.

ccdude730
09-03-2005, 05:13 PM
The offical depth chart no longer shows Thomas or Swinton, but is still show Rivers. It is also shows just 53 players. I wanna know what the staff sees in Hollings and Bradford.

rivers and bradford werent going to get cut. i think for me that was pretty much a given even though everyone on the boards thinks bradford needs to go.

hollings on the other hand has no value to us at all

the wonger need food
09-03-2005, 05:16 PM

Good catch Hoth, I guess it's official.

This organization never ceases to amaze me.

Vinny
09-03-2005, 05:18 PM
I figured Hollings would make it because he is in most of the special teams packages. He has an NFL body and has great speed. He may not be a great feature back at this point in his career but he has value to the roster as the teams 3rd halfback. He will have plenty of special teams snaps to cover his roster spot.

ArlingtonTexan
09-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Looks like John Boy knew what he was talking about by the roster and depth chart. Surprised @ 11 OLman (unless I can't count) as the thing not seen mentioned.

V Man
09-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Well I can honestly say, this is the first time I'm real disappointed in the Texans GM and Coaching Staff. To me it looks like they want to stay right where they are at. Let us just keep the same old players who haven't done anything for us before. And it isn't just at WR, try the D-line also. Bradford has been on the Team for 3 years and in the league a few before that. And he isn't getting any better, at least with Thomas (I know an unproven risk) but I think he is already as good as Braford, and he has the chance to improve with more playing time (we will see this on the team that signs him).

D-line (I know we drafted TJ) still has the same stiffs of Ioane and Deloach who haven't given us a pass rush in the years they have been here, so lets keep them. Boy that makes since to me. J. Davis and A. Malone were both very active on the line during the preseason, let them get a chance, can't be any worse than the back-ups we have.

And Hollings (they other teams best player), who should be the new Fumbleman for the Justice League on the ExtemeSkins.com cartoons. Like someone else posted either he is dating someone's daugther or the Texans officals don't want to admit they made a mistake by using a second round pick on him.

Tulip
09-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Link to the official list of cuts:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1913

I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

texasguy346
09-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Looks like John Boy knew what he was talking about by the roster and depth chart. Surprised @ 11 OLman (unless I can't count) as the thing not seen mentioned.

I would have liked to seen Weary let go, but I guess Texans still like him enough to give him a spot. Not sure why we're keeping 3 centers unless they think Washington can serve as a backup at the G spots as well.

I like that Ramon Walker made the roster if only for his special teams play.

ccdude730
09-03-2005, 05:27 PM
I figured Hollings would make it because he is in most of the special teams packages. He has an NFL body and has great speed. He may not be a great feature back at this point in his career but he has value to the roster as the teams 3rd halfback. He will have plenty of special teams snaps to cover his roster spot.

i havent really seen him that much, even on special teams this preseason. that is why i made that statement.

i still would have released him if it meant we would not loose swinton or thomas.

TMac48
09-03-2005, 05:28 PM
I wonder if this is just speculation by McClain or if he's actually got the inside information. Hollings, Sanders, Bradford and Banks should have all been cut.
For those of you who want to keep complaining about Banks and saying he should be cut and Ragone should be 2nd string, just shut up. Honestly, Banks has been a solid back-up for us the entire time he's been here. Oh, let me guess, you're probably the same guy that thinks Symons should get more playing time because he was good a Tech right? No, he wasn't a product of the system at or anything...whatever. It is pure ignorance to think that we could afford to lose a veteran QB like Banks as our back-up. Just because Ragone goes to NFL EUROPE...NFL EUROPE, and does a great job doesn't mean he's ready to step in here and play with the big boys. Having a veteran to put in the game when Carr gets hurt (and he will with our o-line) is priceless. That said, GO TEXANS!
:texflag:

the wonger need food
09-03-2005, 05:29 PM

Hollings was kept for political reasons, plain and simple. If he was cut it would have made the front office look bad.

Actually, Wells and Morency will get carries before Hollings, so he's really the 4th string RB... and valueless.

Vinny
09-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Perhaps you have a better feel for their motivations than I, but I posted before the cuts that I thought he would survive the turk because of his role on special teams.

texasguy346
09-03-2005, 05:31 PM
The most shocking move was the fact that they let go of Preston Parsons. :rolleyes: :texflag:

Lucky didn't you have a bet with Jakebrake about him making the roster?

ccdude730
09-03-2005, 05:33 PM
For those of you who want to keep complaining about Banks and saying he should be cut and Ragone should be 2nd string, just shut up. Honestly, Banks has been a solid back-up for us the entire time he's been here. Oh, let me guess, you're probably the same guy that thinks Symons should get more playing time because he was good a Tech right? No, he wasn't a product of the system at or anything...whatever. It is pure ignorance to think that we could afford to lose a veteran QB like Banks as our back-up. Just because Ragone goes to NFL EUROPE...NFL EUROPE, and does a great job doesn't mean he's ready to step in here and play with the big boys. Having a veteran to put in the game when Carr gets hurt (and he will with our o-line) is priceless. That said, GO TEXANS!
and this year IS this year. i would not decide a players fate/roster spot just because he played well 2 years ago and played horrible this preseason when we do have a suitable backup in ragone. move banks to 3rd at least, or find someone else to man the 3rd spot.

Dime
09-03-2005, 05:33 PM
I am quite peaved right now.. Hollings, an unproductive player stays and a person like sloan gets released... That is stupid!! He was working like a playmaker... We better go to the freakin playoffs this year... thats all I have to say!!!

the wonger need food
09-03-2005, 05:38 PM

Actually, there are several reasons for Banks to get cut.
1) He gets paid almost $1 million per season.
2) He's a 3rd string QB. On most teams the 3rd string guy is young and paid the league minimum.
3) He's terrible and would be cut from just about any AFL team.

Ragone is no great shakes, but he has outperformed every other QB on the roster.

ccdude730
09-03-2005, 05:40 PM
i think some of the guys we have backing up our starters on the oline are questionable. we all know how the browns game went.

i think we have enough depth at SS where they could have let walker go. i love the idea of him being a standout on special teams, but im sure they could have let a younger guy step in there to save a spot.

maybe its just me, but there were just a couple of guys i would have tried to keep if it meant shuffling people around or what not.

vinny, i know you felt he would stay, and you were right, but do you feel that he is going to contribute alot to special teams and the offense?

RTP2110
09-03-2005, 05:40 PM
It's official as of the main page......

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1913

TopTexanFan16
09-03-2005, 05:42 PM
its official on teh website the texans realeased sloan thomas and reggie swinton, this comes to a surprise cause both of them have essentially been great for us and reggie i thought was doin a hell of a job at returning kickoffs and sloan was makin play after play. we shoulda at least have carried a 6th WR on the chart.

the wonger need food
09-03-2005, 05:46 PM
we shoulda at least have carried a 6th WR on the chart.

Hollings was a 2nd round pick. There was no room.

GP
09-03-2005, 05:55 PM
I am just speechless right now, which is probably a good thing.

OK. I can talk now.

(SIGH)

(ANOTHER SIGH)

What in the wide wide world of sports is going on? Who suggested that Swinton and Thomas get cut, and more importantly who approved the cuts?

:brickwall :brickwall

See ya'll next year. This is just the icing on top of the c r a p cake for me. Nothing but pure politics. Period.

Did Trump start a TV reality show at Texans camp this year?

Vinny
09-03-2005, 06:00 PM
vinny, i know you felt he would stay, and you were right, but do you feel that he is going to contribute alot to special teams and the offense?Most 3rd backs around the league play mainly special teams. Guys like Kerry Carter, Arlen Harris, & Eric Bickerstaff hang on year to year but never get much PT when it comes to the standard offense, but they all have a role on special teams and as an emergency back.

TMac48
09-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Ragone is no great shakes, but he has outperformed every other QB on the roster.
But who has he been playing against?? The answer to that is NFLE players, 3rd and 4th stringers. Banks has proven himself in regular-season games against actual NFL starters. His 3 starts in 2003 included wins over NFC champion Carolina, Atlanta, as well an overtime loss to Super Bowl champion New England.

GP
09-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Vinny:

Do you think it was a good call to cut Swinton and Sloan?

I can see Swinton getting cut (due to Mathis and Buchanon) but how does a guy like Sloan, who made some pretty clutch catches in pressure situations, get thrown under the bus?

Just wanted your take on it. And I know you might not be willing to tell us, so that's OK. Just curious.

Vinny
09-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Vinny:

Do you think it was a good call to cut Swinton and Sloan?

I can see Swinton getting cut (due to Mathis and Buchanon) but how does a guy like Sloan, who made some pretty clutch catches in pressure situations, get thrown under the bus?

Just wanted your take on it. And I know you might not be willing to tell us, so that's OK. Just curious.I think Sloan is much like Armstrong and Gaffney, and perhaps he slips to the PC...donno, but I like Gaff and Armstrong better than him as a possession guy at this point in each of their respective careers. I figured either Swinton or him would make the team but I wasn't expecting both to be cut. Mathis probably factored in the cutting of Swinton though. I think Pbuc will be the primary return man and Mathis showed enough to make him the PR2 guy, and I think Hollings will be in the mix on kick-off returns sometime this year.

TMac48
09-03-2005, 06:11 PM
I don't understand how they can cut Swinton. We realeased Moses because we wanted a guy that could take it to the house and play reciever. So what does Swinton do? He takes one to the house and he catches a touchdown pass. WTF are they thinking? I've tried to be positive through all of the moves this offseason, but this one just makes me scratch my head a bit... idonno:

ccdude730
09-03-2005, 06:13 PM
But who has he been playing against??

we know how banks did 2 years ago and we know how ragone did in europe.

but how have they done in camp and in the preseason? that is what im looking at and that is what i would base my decision on to move ragone to the number 2. as for banks? keep him at number 3 or find someone else.

i just dont want banks to come in this season if carr goes down and play like he did in the preseason. if we do base it on preseason, i want to see ragone in there with the rest of the 1st teamers.

rmartin65
09-03-2005, 06:15 PM
I don't understand how they can cut Swinton. We realeased Moses because we wanted a guy that could take it to the house and play reciever. So what does Swinton do? He takes one to the house and he catches a touchdown pass. WTF are they thinking? I've tried to be positive through all of the moves this offseason, but this one just makes me scratch my head a bit... idonno:
i think that they think that mathis and pbuc can take it to the house.

Dime
09-03-2005, 06:18 PM
I have to say I am absolutely livid on us cutting... no.. it aint us... the texans cutting Sloan. Not only has he had several awesome plays and showed a huge amount of maturity, but he has been majorly giving a effort which I have seen disappear from some other folks... In addition, he was becoming a playmaker imo. I can see Swinton being cut.. but I feel we.. errrr the texans have made a HUGE error here... Dont tell me he will make the practice squad.. He will get picked up quickly from another team easy. I have NEVER bashed a coach here, but this was a STUPID move. Needless to say, I am quite bitter/

ccdude730
09-03-2005, 06:20 PM
i think that tmac48 thinks that they didnt need to risk putting a starting CB back there.

jk. :) i dont want to put words in tmac48s mouth. that was just how i feel. yes i agree mathis and pbuc can take it back all the way, but its just that risk. well see how that pans out this season though.

the wonger need food
09-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Most 3rd backs around the league play mainly special teams. Guys like Kerry Carter, Arlen Harris, & Eric Bickerstaff hang on year to year but never get much PT when it comes to the standard offense, but they all have a role on special teams and as an emergency back.

Let's get this straight... he is the 4th back, not 3rd.

the wonger need food
09-03-2005, 06:33 PM

But they KNOW that Swinton can take it to the house.

Dime
09-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Let's get this straight... he is the 4th back, not 3rd.

Lets get this more straight.. he is what? 175 ibs of a special teams player who run into the punt returner.. So he aint even that good at that either..

Vinny
09-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Let's get this straight... he is the 4th back, not 3rd.get it as straight as you want....semantics

the wonger need food
09-03-2005, 06:45 PM
get it as straight as you want....semantics

I've got it straight, just trying to help you out.

Bottom line is that the guy is garbage on offense and does not contribute on special teams. If they needed to keep a good special teams player they should have kept Starling. At least that guy contributed.

This was a political decision to save face for wasting a 2nd round pick on a defensive back that never proved anything as a running back.

GoBlue
09-03-2005, 07:29 PM
I'm confused as all of you about Sloan, but I'm pumped to see Shantee Orr make the team. He's got good size and a good motor and he was able to pressure the QB off the practice squad last year. If Peek goes down between Orr and Anderson I don't think there will be much of a drop off. Go Blue!!

Cheroqui
09-03-2005, 07:46 PM
??? Are you #$%^ kidding me? We should have one more WR and one more CB than we do right now. You leave a one man cover in certain slots but have 3 centers and four HB's? Oh come oooooooooon! We couldn't drop Drew Hogdon, Brandon Evans or Tony Hollings, possibly Corey Bradford to keep Sloan and a cornerback? I don't understand why you would let a SS or FS fill a CB spot. C.C. Brown might be able to pull it but man listen... I hope this works out cause I'm feeling sick right now.

Hottoddie
09-03-2005, 07:52 PM
While I'm disappointed in Hollings performance this pre-season, I suspect that the team wants to give him 1 more year (they must think he's really special) to prove himself. After all, this'll be the first year that he's been completely healed. The same will hold true for Joppru, if he can get, & stay, healthy through next year.

I just hope that Capers isn't making personnel decisions based on him keeping his job, only.

By the way, did anyone notice that Wesley Britt was cut by San Diego? I know he's recovering from an injury, but he might be worth picking up.

Porky
09-03-2005, 08:05 PM
But who has he been playing against?? The answer to that is NFLE players, 3rd and 4th stringers. Banks has proven himself in regular-season games against actual NFL starters. His 3 starts in 2003 included wins over NFC champion Carolina, Atlanta, as well an overtime loss to Super Bowl champion New England.

You're very right. Banks has proven himself. He proven himself to be terrible.

Lucky
09-03-2005, 08:05 PM
While I'm disappointed in Hollings performance this pre-season, I suspect that the team wants to give him 1 more year (they must think he's really special) to prove himself.
I think it's more so that Davis & Wells are still a little banged up. If & when they're completely healthy, Hollings may be on shaky ground.

the wonger need food
09-03-2005, 08:12 PM
??? Are you #$%^ kidding me? We should have one more WR and one more CB than we do right now. You leave a one man cover in certain slots but have 3 centers and four HB's? Oh come oooooooooon! We couldn't drop Drew Hogdon, Brandon Evans or Tony Hollings, possibly Corey Bradford to keep Sloan and a cornerback? I don't understand why you would let a SS or FS fill a CB spot. C.C. Brown might be able to pull it but man listen... I hope this works out man cause I'm feeling sick right now.

Why is no one talking about Lewis Sanders? This guy has been toasted the entire preseason.

I'm convinced that there is no sense of urgency to win this year. There is no way that Sanders, Hollings, Banks and Bradford have earned their way onto this team during the preseason. It's a shame that the guys who actually make plays (Swinton, Thomas, Chamberlin) get cut while these underperformers keep getting a paycheck. Keep the politics in Austin.

Porky
09-03-2005, 08:13 PM
I've got it straight, just trying to help you out.

Bottom line is that the guy is garbage on offense and does not contribute on special teams. If they needed to keep a good special teams player they should have kept Starling. At least that guy contributed.

This was a political decision to save face for wasting a 2nd round pick on a defensive back that never proved anything as a running back.

Ditto for me. This was a face saving decision. Nothing more, nothing less. Hollings has done zero to distinguish himself. Hopefully, Wells will be the #3 back, and Hollings will be inactive on game days, as Wells is a better RB, and ST player than Hollings, and can also play some at FB. I am as perplexed and disapointed as most of the others here about the cuts...both those made, as well as those not made.

Now that we are at the end of the road of the offseason, from FA signings, trades, releases, draft, cuts, etc., I have to say I am hugely disapointed overall in this opffseaon. The list is too long. Suffice it to say, I have disagreed with almost every major, and many minor decisisons they have made this year. Time will tell, and I will wait for the season to play out, but I am moving my prediction down to 7-9, and I feel that may now be generous. I feel like the team has taken a step back, and IF I am right, I will be one that will be calling for changes to coaches, and potentially the front office. I think Mcnair will be feeling the heat of dedicated and VERY patient fans like myself, if my prediction comes to fruition. I sincerely hope I am wrong. :tomato:

Porky
09-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Why is no one talking about Lewis Sanders? This guy has been toasted the entire preseason.

I'm convinced that there is no sense of urgency to win this year. Their is no way that Sanders, Hollings, Banks and Bradford have earned their way onto this team during the preseason. It's a shame that the guys who actually make plays (Swinton, Thomas, Chamberlin) get cut while these underperformers keep getting a paycheck. Keep the politics in Austin.

I'm not sure if we share the same brain or not...but Ditto again.

ArlingtonTexan
09-03-2005, 08:42 PM
On a couple of the cuts:

Swinton: Yes, he was the best return man and can contribute as a Wr, but he will never be more than a 4th WR barring injury. Mathis will improve as a returner and has potential to be a legitimate NFL WR, not just a fill-in type.

Hollings: Besides the fact that Tony has figured out he needs to play special teams, there really is not a 3rd or 4th Rb in camp that was better than him. The numbers just worked in his favor.

Thomas: While he had catches and yards was any of it in the first half or against a number one defense? I don't think so. He also is a repeat of Armstrong in terms of his overall skill package. Most likely (not guaranteed) he will clear to the practice squad and continue to develop for the future.

Bradford: Not a big fan, but not convinced as some here that Armstrong, Mathis or Thomas are better than him at this point in thier careers. I am guessing that we have only one more year to whine about his presence on the team.

Grid
09-03-2005, 09:14 PM

Ive already responded to this comment once but I will do it again.

There is NO logic in calling this a "political move"

for one.. the majority of Texans fans do not even know who Hollings is. he has never been a big name and the only people who know who he is or what we spent on him are the hardcore fans.

for two.. how can you say ANYTHING that the Texans organization has done is "political" when we just got finished cutting Sharper, Foreman, and Glenn? It is pretty dang obvious that we are willing to do whatever it takes to make this a good football team.. regardless of whether or not it is a "politically" positive move.

Please.. stop spreading such stupid rumors.

bottom line is that we did not have enough depth at RB and FB to let Hollings go.

texasguy346
09-03-2005, 09:17 PM
I don't understand why you would let a SS or FS fill a CB spot. C.C. Brown might be able to pull it but man listen... I hope this works out man cause I'm feeling sick right now.

Keep in mind that Simmons has the ability to play CB if needed, and he does a decent job at it.

I, and others, mentioned his poor play after the Raiders game as well. If McKenzie isn't hobbled by the hamstring injury we're probably talking about him making it as a 4th CB, but then again he might have still got cut since he'd be PS elligible whereas Sanders isn't.

ccdude730
09-03-2005, 09:37 PM
bottom line is that we did not have enough depth at RB and FB to let Hollings go.

RB: dom davis, morency, wells

FB: norris, wells

what more depth do you HONESTLY need? if dom davis goes down (i hope he doesnt, but its a real possibility) we have morency then wells. our base offense is usually 3 wr, 1 te, and 1 rb. the fullback is not a huge position to where we need a plethora of guys for depth. norris is the main guy, wells is there to add another dimension when he is in.

IMO we have plenty of depth if we were going to release him. vinny believes it is his special teams that keeps him here while others think it is political. we are never going to know

ccdude730
09-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Keep in mind that Simmons has the ability to play CB if needed, and he does a decent job at it.

i think simmons is one of the more versatile guys in our defensive backfield. he can come in a SS, FS, CB, and special teams.

anyone forgeting the hit he put on chris brown when we played the titans?

texasguy346
09-03-2005, 09:55 PM
anyone forgeting the hit he put on chris brown when we played the titans?

I think Chris Brown might have a hard time remembering that hit. "Who dat? Who there?"

Grid
09-03-2005, 11:21 PM
RB: dom davis, morency, wells

FB: norris, wells

what more depth do you HONESTLY need?

Well lets see.

Davis has gone down for at least one game every year. SO if Davis was to go down.. Lets say Morency goes in. Ok so Morency is in.. and lets say something happens to Norris and Wells has to start at FB.

We now have NO DEPTH at FB or RB. If either of these guys go down we have NO ONE to replace them. With just TWO injuries you are out of depth.

Thats why Hollings needed to stay. Well..thats not why Hollings needed to stay..but thats why we needed a 4th RB on the roster. Personally I would have preffered we let him go and got someone else off the waiver wire.

Crank_It_Up
09-03-2005, 11:31 PM
i wasn't that impressed with swinton, seems to me he made some bad decisions when trying to field returns, including a fumble in the dallas game. Also, with a o-line that can't give the Q-back much time, how is he expected to connect with his WR anyway?

Corrosion
09-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Well lets see.

Davis has gone down for at least one game every year. SO if Davis was to go down.. Lets say Morency goes in. Ok so Morency is in.. and lets say something happens to Norris and Wells has to start at FB.

We now have NO DEPTH at FB or RB. If either of these guys go down we have NO ONE to replace them. With just TWO injuries you are out of depth.

Thats why Hollings needed to stay. Well..thats not why Hollings needed to stay..but thats why we needed a 4th RB on the roster. Personally I would have preffered we let him go and got someone else off the waiver wire.

Quinton Griffin would be a good candidate for that , Yeah I know he's a Sooner but he would sure as hell be an upgrade over Hollings http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395972

ccdude730
09-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Well lets see.

interesting scenario, but not a likely one. like i said, norris is a FB that we likely wont use down after down. but im not saying its impossible for him to get hurt.

but in the bucs game did you see murphy moving around? seems like he could be more of an hback for us than just a TE.

your point is valid and im sure i would COMPLETELY agree with you if it were someone besides hollings.

Meisterman
09-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Hollings is a BUST...they would be better off cutting this 4th string running back and keeping Sloan Thomas just to send a message that working your Butt off in pre season matters.

And speaking of BUSTS "and always injured"...Instead of Joppru ..the Texans could of drafted Jason Witten (Dallas stud TE). Oh wait...Charlie's A Genius!

Finally...Corey Bradford must have pictures of a coaches wife. "Hands of Stone" has mouthed off alot this pre-season and done NOTHING!

No wonder the team plays flat...I'm inspired.

<end of rant>

Grid
09-04-2005, 12:44 AM
And speaking of BUSTS "and always injured"...Instead of Joppru ..the Texans could of drafted Jason Witten (Dallas stud TE). Oh wait...Charlie's A Genius!

Im sure we could all make a superbowl team if we went back and saw what draft picks we COULD have taken at each spot.

Matter of fact.. every team in the NFL would be better off if they could go back in time and change their draft picks to make sure they took the best player available in every round.

Casserly has done a great job so far. We have some of the best young players in the NFL.

El Tejano
09-04-2005, 09:09 AM
My thing is this. Capers said he was looking for guys who still had fight in them when the game is out of reach. Thomas showed that, Hollings didn't. He was also looking for someone who could contribute on ST and offensively. Swinton did that and Hollings didn't. You wanna keep Bradford because of past experience and already developed chemistry with the QB (although this wasn't shown in the preseason) fine. But Hollings hasn't shown fight, hasn't done nothing on ST or the offense. And you really can't say anything about Hollings hasn't proven himself yet. He has been given plenty of opportunity but he has only responded with an injury or poor play. I would rather have a guy that returned kicks only, then risk injury to a starter on defense and risk injury to a key player off the bench offensively.

I also am sick and tired of Joppru on this team. 3 years, 3 injuries. Let him go and let's go on. I realize this guy may still have some upside but he isn't helping us put the best players on the field for us at this time. I am looking for the logic in keeping him.

I just see us not having any clue as to what we do with this team.

HJam72
09-04-2005, 09:18 AM
The thing about Joppru (I think) is that he's not getting paid much anyway (salary cap) and there's absolutely no FA's to replace him with anyway. Add to that the dream that he might get healthy some day and play well and they might as well keep him in PUP. I know it's really really frustrating, but I don't think cutting him would help in any way.

I totally agree with you about Hollings and Bradford and about keeping Sloan Thomas.

Tulip
09-04-2005, 09:43 AM
??? Are you #$%^ kidding me? We should have one more WR and one more CB than we do right now. You leave a one man cover in certain slots but have 3 centers and four HB's? Oh come oooooooooon! We couldn't drop Drew Hogdon, Brandon Evans or Tony Hollings, possibly Corey Bradford to keep Sloan and a cornerback? I don't understand why you would let a SS or FS fill a CB spot. C.C. Brown might be able to pull it but man listen... I hope this works out man cause I'm feeling sick right now.

It's a mistake that Brandon Evans is still listed on the depth chart. He's on the cut list and was removed from the roster. But I agree, there are too many o-lineman on the roster. One of those spots could have gone Sloan. I feel like I'm a little biased because he's a Longhorn, but he made great plays and showed what heart and fire (and skill) he has during this preseason.

Tulip
09-04-2005, 09:48 AM
I'm confused as all of you about Sloan, but I'm pumped to see Shantee Orr make the team. He's got good size and a good motor and he was able to pressure the QB off the practice squad last year. If Peek goes down between Orr and Anderson I don't think there will be much of a drop off. Go Blue!!

He's been my favorite backup since the 2003 season when so many starters were hurt. Shantee was the guy I got excited about when I saw him run on the field during the drive - because I knew he'd be gunning for the quarterback. And we've had so little of that (QB pressure/sacks) during the first 3 seasons.

I'm very glad to see that he's still a Texan.

Cheroqui
09-04-2005, 10:13 AM

Oh yeah him too :heh:

Cheroqui
09-04-2005, 10:34 AM

Yeah I agree with you on that. I couldn't cover or evaluate everyone but yeah I know Simmons gets it done. I just meant that if you look at the depth chart some of the slots look crazy. Having Chester Pitts or J. Babin with no one behind them, but 3 centers, and then 4 RB's immidiately puts you on that "We could have room for him mode". Yes people can ba shifted, I know you can just as easily slide people around. One from the left, goes to the right side of the formation, etc. but you know most people around here wanted or wants someone one to stay or be brought in to fill a "void".

Cheroqui
09-04-2005, 10:48 AM
One of those spots could have gone Sloan, he made great plays and showed what heart and fire (and skill) he has during this preseason.

Maybe it's a cut and re-hire type of deal. No? :shrug:

edo783
09-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Casserly FORCING Capers to keep him? THAT is not how a team works. The cuts are not cleared through Charley. Capers team makes those calls. Cass makes the final draft calls. Now it is probably true he is on the team because of burning a 2 on him, but that is likely because Capers pushed for him.

Lucky
09-04-2005, 12:30 PM
My thing is this. Capers said he was looking for guys who still had fight in them when the game is out of reach. Thomas showed that, Hollings didn't. He was also looking for someone who could contribute on ST and offensively. Swinton did that and Hollings didn't...
That's an excellent point. Shows how little stock the Texans put into the results of these exhibition games. I think the roster decisions were made well before the Buc game. John McClain had indicated prior to the game that Sloan Thomas wasn't going to make it.

NeViKaN
09-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Well lets see.

There is always Robaire Smith in this dooms day scenario.

William.carter
09-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Keeping Hollings is uselessin opinion. Matt Murphey was adequate at full back in TC. They ahve options to fill gaps in depth. There must be other reasons for keeping Hollings. I think they believe they can pull off some sort of trade for a draft pick for him and didn't want to release him where he could be picked up for free. If that is what they thing, I think they are highly delusional considering Quinten Griffen was relase by Denver. If they are smart, they will go after Griffen and dump Hollings on his ***.

I'm crossingmy fingers that Sloan clears waivers and we resign him to the practice squad until there is room to elevate him to the active roster.

Tulip
09-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
One of those spots could have gone Sloan, he made great plays and showed what heart and fire (and skill) he has during this preseason.

Maybe it's a cut and re-hire type of deal. No? :shrug:

I think we'll keep him on the practice squad if he isn't picked up by another team. I just don't like leaving him exposed like that.

Grid
09-04-2005, 05:32 PM
I'm crossingmy fingers that Sloan clears waivers and we resign him to the practice squad until there is room to elevate him to the active roster.

Considering how much trouble WRs have had this offseason finding new homes.. I think there is a good chance Sloan will be available to sign to the practice squad.

I also think he will be kinda like Starling last season.. where we pull him into the active roster the second that a spot opens.

rmartin65
09-04-2005, 07:59 PM
well, thomas is not on the practice squad..