PDA

View Full Version : Farve's Family Home Destroyed

texasguy346
08-31-2005, 09:45 AM
Favre Finally Hears from Mother, Brothers in Mississippi
Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Mississippi family home of Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre was flooded by Hurricane Katrina within a matter of minutes and his mother and grandfather rode out the storm in the attic, the team said Tuesday.

Favre spent most of the last two days nervously waiting to hear from family members in his hometown of Kiln, Miss., in the heart of the Gulf Coast area devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

The Packers said Favre finally spoke to his mother, Bonita, late Tuesday afternoon when she was able to reach him with the help of a Houston television station in the area covering hurricane damage.

According to the team, Favre said his mother reported spending Monday night in the family attic, along with his grandmother, after the house filled up with water within a matter of 5-10 minutes, much like a tsunami.

On Tuesday, the water receded enough that she was able to leave the family home and go to his brother Jeff's nearby house, which is slightly higher and away from the water.

Bonita Favre told Brett that Hurricane Camille, which the family experienced in 1969, didn't compare to this one and the damage it has caused.

She indicated the family home is destroyed and probably will have to be bulldozed, but the good news is that everyone in the family appears to be fine.

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2147301)

ledzeppelin229
08-31-2005, 12:52 PM
I feel bad for Favre's family and all, but the result of this is going to be hearing even more about Favre in the media than we already do. I don't even know if I'll be able to listen to the announcers if I watch a Packers game on national tv.

Derek
08-31-2005, 01:07 PM
Man, I'm a huge Favre fan. I used to be a really big Packer fan so, I definately feel for the guy. The thing that I most like about him is that he's not a celebrity like other stars are made out to be, he's a real guy. He's lost so much in the past year or 2, and now he's lost the house he grew up in. I hope we can see him in the league for many years more.

Blake
08-31-2005, 01:21 PM
Man, I'm a huge Favre fan. I used to be a really big Packer fan so, I definately feel for the guy. The thing that I most like about him is that he's not a celebrity like other stars are made out to be, he's a real guy. He's lost so much in the past year or 2, and now he's lost the house he grew up in. I hope we can see him in the league for many years more.

C'mon. I know he lost his old house, but there are people out there dying, and searching through the water, for the bodies of their loved ones.

Brett is the last guy who gets sympathy.

Derek
08-31-2005, 01:27 PM
C'mon. I know he lost his old house, but there are people out there dying, and searching through the water, for the bodies of their loved ones.

Brett is the last guy who gets sympathy.

True, but what am I able to do? NBA Players Association has agreed to raise at least $1 M dollars total. Each NBA player will be asked to donate to the cause. We should expect many more contributions from music artists and probably the NFL too.

ledzeppelin229
08-31-2005, 02:58 PM
I would make a significant contribution too if I was a millionaire. The majority of it is about publicity, and while donations are donations, to gain significant respect there needs to be atleast minimal personal intent as well.

z0rpAn
09-01-2005, 01:11 PM
if they are already wellstated organizations such as the NFL and NBA, what publicity do they need? ever consider without them naming names that they are doing this for generous reasons?