PDA

View Full Version : Other teams discards

Dime
08-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Hey, anyone know any players from other teams that might be good pickups for us? Surely we can be the only ones having to decide from cutting decent players off the roster.

ATX
08-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Coey Simon DT, Eagles could play DE in the 3-4

Dime
08-29-2005, 03:23 PM
What is his hurt ratio? If he doesnt get hurt, he cant play for us... rofl.

the wonger need food
08-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Coey Simon DT, Eagles could play DE in the 3-4

Would be a sweet pickup. But he'll want too much money and a long-term deal. Plus about 30 other teams probably want him.

He is a Florida State alumn, maybe another good mentor for TJ.

PapaL
08-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Heres the big questions for Simon, how many teams can afford him right now? There are only a handful of teams far enough under the salary cap to be able to sign him. Not that far of a reach for us IMO. Stranger things have happened.

Dime
08-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Whoa.... Peerless Price is to be cut.. he has sunk... Wow..

Buzz
08-30-2005, 01:38 AM
Here are a few names I recognized of guys who might be worth a look:
Luther Elliss- Broncos
Raylee Johnson- Broncos
Ifeanyi Ohalete- Cardinals
Mike Compton- Jaguars
Hannibal Navies- Packers
Antonio Cochran- Seahawks

dalemurphy
08-30-2005, 01:42 AM
Here are a few names I recognized of guys who might be worth a look:
Luther Elliss- Broncos
Raylee Johnson- Broncos
Ifeanyi Ohalete- Cardinals
Mike Compton- Jaguars
Hannibal Navies- Packers
Antonio Cochran- Seahawks

wow, let's get Ohalete. He'd be the perfect replacement and upgrade for Jason Simmons. He's a little bigger and he can play CB in a pinch and both safety positions.

did any really talented LTs get released?

dalemurphy
08-30-2005, 02:03 AM
Holy! Moulds got Peerless some serious lanes and when he got them, he exploited the zone hard. When he became #1 in Atlanta, he became below average.

If he come cheap, I would give this guy a try. Let AJ be our Moulds and let Peerless go wild. I am not saying it will work, but we can experiment. Peerless was so good at the crossing patern in Buffalo. He cross the middle like nobody's business and took the heavy hits. I am still a fan...

We don't have room for anymore WRs.. We're more talented and deeper at WR than anywhere else on the team. assuming we keep 6, i still think bradford will be cut: AJ, Gaffney, Armstrong, Mathis, Swinton, SThomas

I wouldn't release any of those guys for Price. Gaffney and Armstrong have great hands. Mathis is faster than God. Swinton has speed and is a special teams difference maker. SThomas has a lot of potential and has had a very good preseason. I don't think Price helps us.

texasguy346
08-30-2005, 07:42 AM
I recall hearing that Price was having some sort of vision problems. Not something you want from someone who's supposed to be your #2 WR. I don't think he's someone the Texans should go after given our depth at the WR position.

keyfro
08-30-2005, 09:12 AM
dexter reid was cut by the patriots...he's a solid FS to mold behind coleman

quinton cravor was released by the chiefs...remember hearing that we were interested in this kid during the offseason

corey simon's franchise tag was removed...this guy is huge the only problem he's a starter...we are set for right now at our starters...don't think we could sign him to sit right now

pete mcmahon was released from the raiders...might be a better tackle to develop than m. brown

frank middleton was cut from the dolphins...maybe better than our back-up guards...unforunetly i think he's gotten too fat and too lazy

marcus lawerance was released earlier from the panthers...former south carolina gamecock who can play inside linebacker

William.carter
08-30-2005, 11:09 AM
did any really talented LTs get released?

Not to sound like a jerk, but teams aren't in the habit of releasing really talented LTs unless they are old and hurt, not even either or.

Texas
08-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Simon wants a long term contract for more then 5$Million. He would be a burden on our cap room and he wouldnt play as good in a 3-4. Hes a 4-3 player. Maurice clarett I beleive would be a good pickup and ill tell you why. He has been shamed and **** on by the broncos. He has played like a high school player and hasnt shown anything but a hot ego. However when his ego settles he will become a good 2nd string RB. I beleive we could use a power back of his caliber because we never seem to be able to get that goal line play that we need.

Errant Hothy
08-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Not to sound like a jerk, but teams aren't in the havit of releasing really talented LTs unless they are old and hurt, not even either or.

I believe it was an attempt at humor

Petey Warrick was cut by the Bun-gels, and I'd take him over Price.

William.carter
08-30-2005, 11:22 AM
Simon wants a long term contract for more then 5$Million. He would be a burden on our cap room and he wouldnt play as good in a 3-4. Hes a 4-3 player. Maurice clarett I beleive would be a good pickup and ill tell you why. He has been shamed and **** on by the broncos. He has played like a high school player and hasnt shown anything but a hot ego. However when his ego settles he will become a good 2nd string RB. I beleive we could use a power back of his caliber because we never seem to be able to get that goal line play that we need.

I don't know if we are the team to do it or not, but I think someone will take a shot on Clarett because his contract is low risk unless he performs... and if he does, he's earned it. Denver was just too deep with good RBs for him. I think he'll end up in Dallas personally.

Errant Hothy
08-30-2005, 11:24 AM
I don't know if we are the team to do it or not, but I think someone will take a shot on Clarett because his contract is low risk unless he performs... and if he does, he's earned it. Denver was just too deep with good RBs for him. I think he'll end up in Dallas personally.

Being here in Dallas I dont think so. Jones, A. Thomas, Tyson Thompson(?) and Marion Barber III I dont think the Cow-Girls even have the room.

Algebrat
08-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Petey Warrick was cut by the Bun-gels, and I'd take him over Price.

What's the story on Warrick? Not that we need receivers...
I thought he was a pretty good player.

William.carter
08-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Being here in Dallas I dont think so. Jones, A. Thomas, Tyson Thompson(?) and Marion Barber III I dont think the Cow-Girls even have the room.

Good point. I was thinking on a lark they might take him and try and develop him becasue Parcells expressed interest in him during the draft.

PapaL
08-30-2005, 11:44 AM

He shall be released shortly: ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2146727)

Mostly injury problems...

z0rpAn
08-30-2005, 11:48 AM

the only thing i know about him being released, houshmanzadeh rocks. Warrick might be one of those injury prone guys as well, I know he was injured most of last season, if not all and he was injured the season before that as well.

Diehardtexan
08-30-2005, 12:36 PM
the only thing i know about him being released, houshmanzadeh rocks. Warrick might be one of those injury prone guys as well, I know he was injured most of last season, if not all and he was injured the season before that as well.
Peter Werrick is still hurt, he played in one game this preseason and he stunk it big time. He is not healthy and any thing that comes out of the Bangals can never be healthy. They are nothing but a bunch of losers.

beerlover
08-30-2005, 12:48 PM
for those of you looking for a young LT I believe Oakland released Pete McMahon 6th rd (#214) pick this year. The Raiders are set on the offensive line with Gallery as thier future LT so no need to develop Pete. he played @ Iowa stands over 6'7" & 330 lbs. he is a very good pass blocker, he has long arms, powerfull hands & good footwork plus his contract should not be any problem. I just don't see the Texans going for any big name players/contracts the gems are going to be people like this guy you probably never heard of and because of the competition on a team in a specific area of strength is considered expendable :drool:

William.carter
08-30-2005, 01:05 PM
for those of you looking for a young LT I believe Oakland released Pete McMahon 6th rd (#214) pick this year. The Raiders are set on the offensive line with Gallery as thier future LT so no need to develop Pete. he played @ Iowa stands over 6'7" & 330 lbs. he is a very good pass blocker, he has long arms, powerfull hands & good footwork plus his contract should not be any problem. I just don't see the Texans going for any big name players/contracts the gems are going to be people like this guy you probably never heard of and because of the competition on a team in a specific area of strength is considered expendable :drool:

i know nothing of him other than what i read on draft boards but he's more a right tackle than left and a better guard than tackle... the common thread between each othe the draft boards i frequent mentioned his lack of foot speed and foot work. Both critical to the LT position. He might be worth a look as a project but i think we have enough projct linemen. IMHO

Porky
08-30-2005, 02:00 PM
How about Rohan Davey? I have liked him since his college days. I was surprised to see he was cut. I think he is better than any QB on the roster save Carr, unless their are recent developments I don't know anything about.

El Tejano
08-30-2005, 02:30 PM
I think Davey will and should be coveted by Chicago.

keyfro
08-30-2005, 02:34 PM
chicago...what about miami where his old ball coach is the head coach

rmartin65
08-30-2005, 02:57 PM
i live in cincinatti, and i hope the texan sdont pick up warrick. he's not that good of a player. he is injured a lot. he complains about not being played after he comes back from an injury. he asked to be cut. and i dont see him as being one of the better recievers if we get him.

HardCoreTxn
08-30-2005, 03:08 PM

I could see the raiders picking him up

LBC_Justin
08-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Anyone spot a cut player the Texans could use?

Some teams are making some tough cuts! Anyone spot a guy we could use?

El Tejano
08-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Look on the board and you will see that everyone here wants us to get Peerless Price. I think the LT from the Raiders would be good.

Texas
08-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Warrick/Simon/Clarett/Price just to name a few.

AndreJ
08-30-2005, 04:15 PM
Warrick/Simon/Clarett/Price just to name a few.
Is that Warrick Dunn...? Suprised to see he got cut...Although it shouldn't hurt them too much with M. Vick and T.J. Duckett

Exascor
08-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Is that Warrick Dunn...? Suprised to see he got cut...Although it shouldn't hurt them too much with M. Vick and T.J. DuckettNope-Peter Warrick

AndreJ
08-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Nope-Peter Warrick
ok thnx

Buzz
08-30-2005, 05:33 PM
wow, let's get Ohalete. He'd be the perfect replacement and upgrade for Jason Simmons. He's a little bigger and he can play CB in a pinch and both safety positions.

I think he would be the best guy to get from that group I mentioned. He's still young, and has potential, where the other guys I mentioned (if I remember right) are all older, and have been around for a while.

Dime
08-30-2005, 05:50 PM
Bengals | Navies Signed
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:58:06 -0700

The Cincinnati Bengals have announced the signing of free agent LB Hannibal Navies (Packers). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Bengals | Ohalete Signed
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:56:50 -0700

The Cincinnati Bengals have announced the signing of free agent S Ifeanyi Ohalete (Cardinals). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Buzz
08-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Oh well so much for those guys. I haven't seen anything on Compton yet though- they could still consider him for the OL if he's available.

DatTexBoy
08-30-2005, 08:05 PM
I have to admit that I will definitely want Chris Palmer fired and check Dom Capers' shorts to see if he still has what it takes to call blitzes and take some chances with our defense. The offense looked like it could move the ball but with the NFL you can't think that this offense will fool defenses all year. I am hoping that they have some five and seven step drop backs in the arsenal. I was feeling pretty positive about the season earlier but I am realizing that this team is not a playoff contender this season. 8-8 will be great at this point of my assessment of this team.

I am begining to think that they won't get players like Peerless Price and Corey Simon or anyone else that could make this team substantially better b/c they can still hide behind their "this team needs to grow" B.S.

I have to vent this out so I can cheer them on for the Buffalo game. But I hope we don't start 0-fer this year. The team and the coached need to prove themselves to our great owner and the fans that pay ridiculous prices for tickets and beer.

Okay, I think I am done. But it is killing me b/c the rockets seem to be the only Houston team doing something about our mediocridy.

Grid
08-30-2005, 08:09 PM
bleh.. there is absolutely NO logic in criticizing our playcalling in preseason.

and bringing in every high profile FA you can get your hands on is NOT a sound strategy for building a prolific team.

sometimes (most of the time).. developing your own young talent is the best and FASTEST road to take towards contention.

DatTexBoy
08-30-2005, 08:15 PM
not really grading them on preseason...just a feeling I am getting from the comments made by Casserly and Capers. They are saying things that aren't definite. This team offensively I feel should be better. Defensively, it worries me. AJ needs a complimentary receiver, yes? Jason Babin is lost on defense or just a plain bust for a 1st rounder. I want to be so wrong about this but it is only preseason and I want Buffalo right now!!!

Grid
08-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Babin has been playing very well I thought.

Offensively we are better. Carr is getting much better protection and our running game looks great.

We have a very nice group of young receivers... ill be surprised if at least one of them doesnt become a big part of our offense.

rmartin65
08-30-2005, 08:24 PM
whoo-hoo go Mathis!! :texflag:

V Man
08-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Here is one all the UT fans would love. Denver released BJ Johnson, we could sign him and put him on the PS. :homer:

texan279
08-31-2005, 12:11 AM
The Jags released Greg Favors...

grandslam1
08-31-2005, 09:25 AM
anyone think we should sign him?

El Tejano
08-31-2005, 09:27 AM
What do yall think? Go for him? Aside from Charlie Anderson the difference between 1st and second string is something to be desired.

Anyone know why he was cut? I am just glad to know he is gone because he is a pretty good LB.

El Tejano
08-31-2005, 09:28 AM
Prepare to have this thread communed and moved to another department.

texan279
08-31-2005, 09:34 AM
He was beat out for the starting job by a rookie...

El Tejano
08-31-2005, 09:48 AM
Dang, what rookie?

beerlover
09-01-2005, 03:33 AM
i know nothing of him other than what i read on draft boards but he's more a right tackle than left and a better guard than tackle... the common thread between each othe the draft boards i frequent mentioned his lack of foot speed and foot work. Both critical to the LT position. He might be worth a look as a project but i think we have enough projct linemen. IMHO

I'll concure probably not the Texans future starting LT, but in a pinch then again who really knows. but the fact that you listed his ability to play RT plus guard positions makes him a real value pick-up. he came from an excellent program @ Iowa who have produced over a dozen NFL players the past 2 or 3 years and last years group is no exception (Jonathan Babineaux, Matt Roth, Sean Considine along with Pete McMahon). at the very least this would improve depth across the offensive line which was negleted for other needs in the draft (much higer rated than Drew Hodgdon).

Its just unfortunate that there is not an impact, ready to contribute, available talent there for the choosing. the key is all teams have a certain strength & sometimes because of that release a player another team who have a weakness could use. another example is Dante Ridgeway in the 6th round by the Rams, well you know they already have Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Shaun McDonald & Kevin Curtis so how do you break into that lineup? well I believe he was scooped up immediatly by the Bengals who just cut Warrick.

ROYDESTROY
09-01-2005, 03:55 AM

We do not and probably would not :)

touttail
09-01-2005, 10:41 AM
LCROD,

Love your photo with your Number 1 Texans fan!!!!!!
He's so cute. I know you are proud!

Bobby 119C

z0rpAn
09-01-2005, 11:20 AM
the only 2 names i recognized was S Dexter Reid and eric flowers, not saying we should get flowers though.

the wonger need food
09-03-2005, 08:04 PM
The Pats cut Kyle Eckel today. This guy will be the next Mike Alstott or Tom Rathman if given a chance.

Several Pats fans wanted him to stick. I'm not sure what his Naval committment is though and this may deter teams from looking at him.

He could serve as that bruising back that the organization talked about getting in the offseason and seems to be very multi-talented.

Malloy
09-03-2005, 08:20 PM
The Pats cut Kyle Eckel today. This guy will be the next Mike Alstott or Tom Rathman if given a chance.

Several Pats fans wanted him to stick. I'm not sure what his Naval committment is though and this may deter teams from looking at him.

He could serve as that bruising back that the organization talked about getting in the offseason and seems to be very multi-talented. His

interesting, we could use some *****-whooping in the back. I must admit though, that I have a feeling that we won't be signing anyone from now on; what we see is what we got.

Errant Hothy
09-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Attaj Hawthorne, Robert McCune, Carphonse Thorpe, Teyo Johnson, Jay Foreman, PK Sam, Attiyah Ellison, Liam Ezekial.

I would love to see the team take a run at Teyo Johnson or Robert McCune.

the wonger need food
09-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Quinton Griffin released by Denver. Another huge upgrade over Hollings.

Errant Hothy
09-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Quinton Griffin released by Denver. Another huge upgrade over Hollings.

I don't knos about that. He was beat out by Ron Dayne of all people.

ledzeppelin229
09-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Hawthorne released? Wow, I know he dropped in the draft but I remember last year some people were touting him as a first rounder. McCune would be another one to look at for ILB potential. Isn't Attiyah Ellison a NT?

I know all these guys were released for a reason and likely wouldn't add much to the team, but I'd rather talk about another teams garbage than the garabge we saw against the Bucs.

Errant Hothy
09-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Buccaneers | Heller Waived
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 18:54:59 -0700

Buccaneers.com reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have waived TE Will Heller.

Damn, thought he would make their team. I mean we made the guy look like frickin' Superman.

feebleminded
09-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Attaj Hawthorne, Robert McCune, Carphonse Thorpe, Teyo Johnson, Jay Foreman, PK Sam, Attiyah Ellison, Liam Ezekial.

I would love to see the team take a run at Teyo Johnson or Robert McCune.

I agree about Teyo Johnson......

texan279
09-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Just read Peerless Price's contract is a 1 year $2.5 million contract...wish we could have snagged him as a #2...

swtbound07
09-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Hugh Douglas released by the eagles. anybody wanna pick up a gary walker insurance policy?

texan279
09-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Not Hugh Douglas, no thanks. Or as the Jag fans call him Who Douglas... :)

keyfro
09-03-2005, 11:13 PM
pick up mccune and drop s. orr...not sure about hawthorne or ellison...just think ioane and deloach are just as good...plus they already know the system...no decent recievers or o-lineman yet

vtech9
09-03-2005, 11:15 PM
pick up mccune and drop s. orr...not sure about hawthorne or ellison...just think ioane and deloach are just as good...plus they already know the system...no decent recievers or o-lineman yet
better yet...keep Shantee Orr and release Evans.

Crank_It_Up
09-03-2005, 11:21 PM
...Maurice clarett I beleive would be a good pickup and ill tell you why. He has been shamed and **** on by the broncos. He has played like a high school player and hasnt shown anything but a hot ego. However when his ego settles he will become a good 2nd string RB. I beleive we could use a power back of his caliber because we never seem to be able to get that goal line play that we need.MC is a prima donna... he was too much of a "star" to associate with his teamates at Ohio State, he was too much of a "star" to accept not being the starter in Denver during the preseason and must have done something terribly wrong to never appear once during preseason... not what you'd expect from a 3rd round draft pick. Give Denver's coach props for the ability to admit making a mistake by drafting him in the first place, and getting rid of the poison before it could spread through his team.

I can only hope and pray Dallas picks him up.

edo783
09-03-2005, 11:28 PM
must have done something terribly wrong to never appear once during preseason... .

He had a groin injury and didn't seem to be making full effort to get back on the field. I think he knew he didn't have enough horsepower to make the team and was just trying to make the club from the tub, which ya can't do in the Pros.

Crank_It_Up
09-03-2005, 11:33 PM
yeah i read he had a groin injury, but I wasn't convinced how much was injury and how much was his way of pouting cause of lack of use

GP
09-04-2005, 12:00 AM
Hey guys....

I have a couple fo discards that I think we should pick up:

Swinton and Sloan Thomas. Have you guys seen them? Man, Swinton caught a TD pass AND he returned a kick for a score (which Houston has never done) and Sloan Thomas made some pretty clutch catches in pressure situations--One of those set up a field goal for a win against the Raiders I think!

Anyway, I think if we got those two guys we could land some real steals.

Kind of hard for me to get jazzed about other team's discards when we have about 2-3 guys who made the cut who shouldn't have at the risk of at least two guys who DID deserve to make the cut. I haven't had a hard time with the Texans' cuts the past few years...but these cuts are brutal to anybody who has been watching the WR battles during camp and preseason.

Errant Hothy
09-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Hey guys....

I have a couple fo discards that I think we should pick up:

Swinton and Sloan Thomas. Have you guys seen them? Man, Swinton caught a TD pass AND he returned a kick for a score (which Houston has never done) and Sloan Thomas made some pretty clutch catches in pressure situations--One of those set up a field goal for a win against the Raiders I think!

Anyway, I think if we got those two guys we could land some real steals.

Kind of hard for me to get jazzed about other team's discards when we have about 2-3 guys who made the cut who shouldn't have at the risk of at least two guys who DID deserve to make the cut. I haven't had a hard time with the Texans' cuts the past few years...but these cuts are brutal to anybody who has been watching the WR battles during camp and preseason.

I hope they sign Thomas to the practice sqaud.

As for Swinton, which of these three would you rather have: P-Buc, Swinton or Mathis? P-Buc is a started on D and a damn good return man; MAthis is in front of Swinton on the WR depth chart and is showing signs of becoming a better returner; or Swinton who is an average to below average reciever and a good return man. Swinton got cut for the same reason JJ got cut; inability to contribute outside of reutrning kicks. And don't give me the "but he caught a TD in a preseason game," becasue alot of WRs that are no longer in the NFL have also.

GP
09-04-2005, 12:12 AM
How many Texans WRs caught a TD this preseason? And if I'm right, he caught it from David Carr and the rest of the first team unit. It wasn't "scrub" time when he did that.

Why did they even bring him in? Why? Absurd.

We have historically kept about 12 TEs in previous seasons, which didn't matter because we don't throw the ball to the TE anyway. And this year we finally seem to have gotten over the "keep a million TEs" syndrome...but can we keep a stable of good WRs THIS year? Nope. Gotta cut 'em. I, to, hope they get to our practice squad, etc..but I bet Sloan gets picked up by another team.

Swinton frickin' PERFORMED. What in the blue blazes does a guy have to do to win a job during the preseason? What do they have to do?

Errant Hothy
09-04-2005, 12:20 AM
Swinton frickin' PERFORMED. What in the blue blazes does a guy have to do to win a job during the preseason? What do they have to do?

Did you watch the games, and read what I said?

Swinton did indeed perform as a returner, but so did others.

As for performing as a WR:

Please, we must all bow down to the mighty Reggie Swinton, cathcer of a signle pass, gainer of a mammoth 2 yards, a no-shower is the other 3 games. Yes, how is it possible that this soon to be hall of famer was cut by thw lowly Texans, this man amongst boys, this colossus of a reciever who was by far and awau the best PERFORMER in the preseason.

Rant over.

Corrosion
09-04-2005, 12:25 AM
I agree , they BOTH performed . Swinton was pretty damned good returning both kicks and punts .
Sloan Thomas was .... the best reciever the Texans had this pre-season .

Bradford did NOTHING to show me he has improved
Armstrong was hurt for the majority of the pre-season .... i do like him.... but Both of the above mentioned out-performed him.

I really hope for the Texans sake that no one picks up Thomas but on the other hand I'd like to see him get a shot with another team.

:texans:

Hottoddie
09-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Ernest Shazor (S) was cut. Anyone still want to convert him to LB?

C.J.Brooks (G), Vince Carter (C), & Wesley Britt (OT) were waived. Although he's been injured, Britt made a good showing at the combine. He might be worth bringing in for a look.

aj.
09-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Things that caught my eye on the transaction page:

Eric Shelton placed on IR by the Panthers
Charles Hill released by the Panthers
Greg Randall released by the Browns
Jamel White released by the Lions
Quentin Griffin released by the Broncos
The Colts trading for Rocky Calmus
Crap Thorpe released by the Chiefs
Derrius Thompson placed on IR by the Dolphins
Steve Martin placed on IR by the Vikes
David Terrell released by the Pats
Raheem Orr released by the Giants
Curry Burns released by the Giants
Sean Landeta released by the Eagles (how old is he anyway?)
Fred Gibson released by the Steelers
Wesley Britt released by the Chargers
Kevin Dyson released by the Redskins

El Tejano
09-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Buccaneers | Heller Waived
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 18:54:59 -0700

Buccaneers.com reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have waived TE Will Heller.

Damn, thought he would make their team. I mean we made the guy look like frickin' Superman.
I agree I think this guy could be a good pick up.

El Tejano
09-04-2005, 09:33 AM

I would love to see the team take a run at Teyo Johnson .
Yeah especially since the Texans online store has this guys rookie card like we drafted him or something.

GP
09-04-2005, 09:48 AM
HothBoy,

Swinton's purpose was NOT to be a WR first. His roster spot was to be a kick returner first, then a WR.

He fills out a roster spot primarily as a kick returner, but (and stay with me here, ok?) he can also GASP! plug into the depth chart as a WR if we need him.

Mathis is a WR first, then a KR. Buchanon is a CB first, then a KR. They both have primary roster spots, but can also go as KR. Swinton could have been designated the KR, but could also serve as a WR in a crunch.

It could have been a win-win situation if you ask me.

The guy took a kick to the house, which has never been done. We cut JJ because he couldn't take one to the house. I guess that should help JJ feel better to know that even a guy we brought in to replace him still got cut even after returning a kick for a score. :embarrass

In addition, Swinton showed that he can catch a pass, a TD pass, in a pressure situation with our first team unit. The coaches didn't have Swinton in the vast majority of plays this preseason because there are soooo many other WRs that DON'T return kicks (like Swinton does) and needed to get the reps so the coaches could see them play.

But when the guy was in there, he did something we rarely saw this preseason....catch a TD pass.

That's my argument. I don't know how much clearer I can get it.

We might just have to agree to disagree, and that's OK.

wags
09-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Ernest Shazor (S) was cut. Anyone still want to convert him to LB?

Does anyone think he's as good as T. Davis anymore? :rolleyes:

Fred Gibson released by the Steelers

This is one of the few Georgia players I really despise. He was a weenie at Georgia and apparently he carried it over to the preseason. No worries for Fred though, he can sell all his Steelers gear on EBAY and make a nice profit.

Crap Thorpe released by the Chiefs

Not surprised here. The kid broke his leg twice in college.

The one guy I would like to see us pick up is Johnathan Goddard. He could be a nice edge rusher for us.

texasguy346
09-04-2005, 12:04 PM
The one guy I would like to see us pick up is Johnathan Goddard. He could be a nice edge rusher for us.

He looked pretty good for the Lions.

Errant Hothy
09-04-2005, 03:22 PM
HothBoy,

Swinton's purpose was NOT to be a WR first. His roster spot was to be a kick returner first, then a WR.

He fills out a roster spot primarily as a kick returner, but (and stay with me here, ok?) he can also GASP! plug into the depth chart as a WR if we need him.

Mathis is a WR first, then a KR. Buchanon is a CB first, then a KR. They both have primary roster spots, but can also go as KR. Swinton could have been designated the KR, but could also serve as a WR in a crunch.

The guy took a kick to the house, which has never been done. We cut JJ because he couldn't take one to the house. I guess that should help JJ feel better to know that even a guy we brought in to replace him still got cut even after returning a kick for a score. :embarrass

In addition, Swinton showed that he can catch a pass, a TD pass, in a pressure situation with our first team unit. The coaches didn't have Swinton in the vast majority of plays this preseason because there are soooo many other WRs that DON'T return kicks (like Swinton does) and needed to get the reps so the coaches could see them play.

But when the guy was in there, he did something we rarely saw this preseason....catch a TD pass.

He returned a a kick fdor a score in teh second half of teh second preseason game also known as garbage time.

As for Swinton's purpose, who HAVE to factor in what Swinton can do outside of kick returns; because for the first time in this tema's history we have enough depth to not carry a specialist like Swinton, or Holling (but thats a rant for another time). And if yuo go back and LOOK at the stats for teh preseason games, the TD pass was teh only one Swinton caught (and he probaly wouldn't have even been in the game except for Gaff injury).

P-Buc ahd proven to be an electric reutn man in the league, now do I want one of teh startign CBs to be returning kicks? I not so sure that it is that big of a risk; but if you don't want him to return kicks Mathis proved that he was better at it then Swinton ( and he is a better WR then Swinton).

And FYI you were clear, but so was I. Swinton is NOT a good enough of a reutrn man or reciever to bet out the guys on the 53 man roster.

Ask yourself this; Is Reggie Swinton as good fo a returned as Dante Hall? Because Hall is the only dedicated return man I can think of on any NFL 53 man roster.

Corrosion
09-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Ask yourself this; Is Reggie Swinton as good fo a returned as Dante Hall? Because Hall is the only dedicated return man I can think of on any NFL 53 man roster.

D.Hall is also the Chiefs 3rd reciever :ok:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/KC

jacquescas
09-04-2005, 03:35 PM
TEYO JOHNSON

guys this is a 6'6 260lbs former second round pick. Was from the same draft and round as Joppru but many people had him ranked higher. Just 23 years old. former wideout who has been working on his blocking. Think Billy Miller plus 4 inches and 30 pounds. which alone will make him a better blocker. Would be our best tight end on the roster.

PapaL
09-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Didn't we just release a player in his mold?

ESPN: (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2151804)
TE Teyo Johnson, Oakland (experience: two seasons): A second-round choice in the 2003 draft, the former Stanford standout never quite developed into the player Raiders coaches thought might dominate the middle of the field. More a receiver than a blocker, he nonetheless had only 23 catches in 24 appearances over two seasons, and eventually fell into coach Norv Turner's doghouse. At 6-feet-6 and 260 pounds, though, and with the basketball-type skills teams covet at the position, he'll be intriguing to someone.

TE Teyo Johnson - 6-6 and 260lbs
TE Billy Miller - 6-3 245lbs

Errant Hothy
09-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Eckel and Heller were claimed by the 'Fins.

Hottoddie
09-05-2005, 12:21 AM
HothBoy,

It's not quite that simple. The one thing that you're leaving out of your assessment, is that JJ didn't have the speed to take it to the house. P-Buc, Mathis, & Swinton all have the speed to take it to the house at any given time.

Now, stay with me here, returns for TD's are very rare in the NFL (2,155 Kickoff returns for 17 TD's last year). That's 1 TD for every 126.76 returns, or less than 1% (.8%) of the time. Everything has to fall into place, such as, all key blocks need to be made, the opposing team making at least one mistake in coverage, the kicker out kicking his coverage, & no one getting flagged on the return. There are other variables as well, but if you've stayed with me, I'm sure you get the point.

P-Buc has great speed & has returned 3 punts for TD's in his career. That tells me he knows what he's doing on punt returns.

Mathis is arguably, the fastest man in the NFL. His only question mark is, since he has no NFL experience returning kicks, does he have the instincts/intelligence to return kicks with the big boys? In college, he returned 62 kickoffs for 1648 yards (26.6 avg.) & 6 TD's. Now, that doesn't necessarily translate into him being a great returner in the NFL, but his 9 returns for an average of (19.56) yards per return this preseason is only (7.34 ypr) behind the best the NFL had to offer last year (26.9 ypr), & those averages include several long returns. I realize that, that was against a lot of 2nd & 3rd stringers, but even still, you have to have some skills to get even that at the NFL level. Also, I'm sure you remember his 51 yard punt return in the Dallas game. Given an opening, the kid has the speed to take it to the house.

Now, Swinton's 7 returns for an average of (30.86 ypr) is quite impressive, until you leave out the 1 return for 102 yards (19.0 ypr). Swinton didn't even rank in the top 30 in the NFL last year at (22.8 ypr) & no TD's.

I would've loved to have kept Swinton as well, but with roster spots at a premium, if you have 3 guys that can do the same job & 2 of those guys can do their regular jobs better than the 3rd does his job, then it's a no brainer.

ledzeppelin229
09-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Kick returns typically come against 2nd and 3rd stringers anyway, so that isn't really relevant. I remember reading something Parcells said, about how if he thinks a guy is a great college returner, it generally translate equally to the pros. And that's coming from a guy that knows what he's talking about.

keyfro
09-05-2005, 11:22 AM
what about the now former greenbay packer dt cleditus hunt...he was their starter at DT for years?

Crank_It_Up
09-05-2005, 12:10 PM
didn't Swinton fumble the catch on a return against dallas?

throwANDREtheBALL
09-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Teyo Johnson - TE - why don't we give him a chance ?
Honestly, even if he can't block, why not convert him to WR......hahhaha......maybe he'll beat out Bradford, and add another Johnson to our recieving core. He's gotta have better wheels and hands than any of our tight ends.

Jonathan Goddard - OLB - Former DE, the guy has more pass-rushing ability than any Linebacker on our roster. Nuff' said. Detroit probably signed him to the practice squad though.

Anttaj Hawthorne and Attiyah Ellison DTs - These guys are both big and faster than any of our backups at DT/DEs. I'm sure their teams put them on the Practice Squad though.

THUMP BELTON FB - I have no idea who this guy is, I just love his name, and he's a fullback. I just had to write it down.

Kerry Carter RB - Seattle was stocked at RB, and this kid supposedly can get the tough yards.

Reshard Lee RB - he's not a big name, but this guy can return kickoffs very well, and he runs hard when he's a runningback, I like him better than Quentin Griffin and our very own Hollings.

Alonzo Jackson OLB - played the 3-4 defense in Pittsburgh, at least he knows the sheme. And he's big.

Rashad Moore DT - He's big, strong and still young. I don't know how bad his injury is but, he's stronger than most of Defensive Lineman.

Jed Weaver TE - Caught 35 passes a year ago with the 49ers. He's 29 so he might have a couple years left. I actually don't know if he can block, but I figure he must still be good, since the team that released him has 3 great TEs already. The Patriots.

the wonger need food
09-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Good article on some the cuts. A few of our guys are mentioned. A few are missing also.

Hard-luck cuts (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4841418)

PapaL
09-06-2005, 09:38 AM
THUMP BELTON FB - I have no idea who this guy is, I just love his name, and he's a fullback. I just had to write it down.

I am all for picking up a guy named Thump Belton. Now thats a football player!

beerlover
09-06-2005, 09:52 AM
I would take a chance on Anttaj Hawthorne he fits the 3-4 defense, 1st round talent, would give the Texans two young DT's for the future adding depth and talent. he fits the NT position more @ 6' 3" 321 lbs is a wide body who can push in the pocket & be productive against the run. http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/17/177671.jpg http://www.jsonline.com/graphics/badger/img/oct04/4uw1009.jpg

edo783
09-06-2005, 10:38 AM
1st round talent and cut??? Why?

Vinny
09-06-2005, 10:57 AM
In reality he was the 175th player taken in the 6th round. Million dollar body and a 10 cent mind...that's the long and short of it. I think he tested positive for drugs as well.

bckey
09-06-2005, 10:59 AM
We should take a look at Teyo Johnson and Antaaj Hawthorne.

TigerV1
09-06-2005, 11:14 AM
In reality he was the 175th player taken in the 6th round. Million dollar body and a 10 cent mind...that's the long and short of it. I think he tested positive for drugs as well.

Not sure we need a guy like him in the locker room. I would love to see both him and Teyo Johnson signed by the Texans, but if they are problem players I say we just look in the other direction.

Errant Hothy
09-06-2005, 12:03 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Hawthorn was signed to the Raiders practice squad.

beerlover
09-06-2005, 12:14 PM
practice squad players are open game for other NFL teams are they not? the Texans would need to release someone off the 53 man roster to make room, one of their career jouneymen for a possible future front line player sounds like a good deal even if it means he needs treetment for substance abuse or personel issues :cool:

just thought it would be nice to add this from earlier in the year posted by Vinny-

Vinny 04-02-2005 11:39 PM

Rick Gosselin's position-by-position rankings

03:25 PM CST on Friday, April 1, 2005

HALFBACK
Rank, Player School
1. Ronnie Brown Auburn
2. Cedric Benson Texas
3. Carnell Williams Auburn
4. Vernand Morency Oklahoma State
5. J.J. Arrington Cal
Sleeper: Brandon Jacobs Southern Illinois

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
Rank, Player School
1. Travis Johnson Florida State
2. Shaun Cody Southern Cal
3. Luis Castillo Northwestern
4. Jonathan Babineaux Iowa
5. Anttaj Hawthorne Wisconsin
Sleeper: Willie Page NW Oklahoma
State

El Tejano
09-06-2005, 01:31 PM
If the release of Swinton and Thomas means we get to bring in a decent defensive lineman, I can be all for it but until then.

NoBullTexan
09-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Hawthorne is too much of a doper to take a chance on.

Meisterman
09-06-2005, 04:28 PM
How about picking up Quentin Griffin ...and putting Hollings on the Practice Squad :)

Quentin is a local guy (positive), has game experience (positive), apparent good guy (positive) who made a mistake an attended school named after "Dirt Robbers" (negative).

ATX
09-06-2005, 04:31 PM
How about picking up Quentin Griffin ...and putting Hollings on the Practice Squad :)

Quentin is a local guy (positive), has game experience (positive), apparent good guy (positive) who made a mistake an attended school named after "Dirt Robbers" (negative).

Hollings isn't eligible for the practice squad. We'd have to cut him, if we picked up Griffin.

Hottoddie
09-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Well, at least the defending Super Bowl Champions, & winners of 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls, had enough sense to pick up Wesley Britt. What would it have hurt to sit him on the Practice Squad? This team needs a LT for the future, & if Britt hadn't been injured, he might've gone in the first round. I just don't get it. It's not like we're so deep in talent that we can't let a potentially solid LT heal up on the PS for a little while. :brickwall

William.carter
09-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Hollings isn't eligible for the practice squad. We'd have to cut him, if we picked up Griffin.

And the problem with that is??? Griffen is already used to working with a Zone blocking scheme. He'd be a perfect fir for depth and would be a value pickup while dumping Hollings in the process. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Corrosion
09-06-2005, 10:01 PM
And the problem with that is??? Griffen is already used to working with a Zone blocking scheme. He'd be a perfect fir for depth and would be a value pickup while dumping Hollings in the process. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Un-Believable .... Im agreeing with the Barfalo Bills #1 Troll :texflag:

Quentin Griffin would be a huge upgrade over Hollings

William.carter
09-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Un-Believable .... Im agreeing with the Barfalo Bills #1 Troll :texflag:

I'm A Die Hard Texans Fan!

Corrosion
09-07-2005, 12:34 AM
I'm A Die Hard Texans Fan!

WOOPS ! ... i got yer name mixxed up w/ WillisXPress ...dont ask me how but i did :brickwall

Either way Griffin would be a nice upgrade over Tony Hollings

Mr Shush
09-07-2005, 07:16 AM
Quentin Griffin: personally, I can live without a guy who only averages 3.7 yards a carry behind the Denver offensive line - the Denver offensive line, for crying out loud - and fumbles once every thirty touches. The only positive thing to be said about Quentin Griffin is that he's better than the guy Denver signed to replace him. Unfortunately, that guy is Ron Dayne, whose best chance at looking like a top level sportsman is to make like a Spanish basketball player and pretend to be handicapped so he can compete in the Paralympics.

Teyo Johnson: if he was going to learn to block, he would've done by now. As it is, we'd be getting a younger version of Miller but with questionable attitude. My guess is we'll just run more 4WR in obvious passing situations than we have in the past, and I like that idea better than using up roster space on a guy who isn't really the answer.

feebleminded
09-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Teyo Johnson: if he was going to learn to block, he would've done by now. As it is, we'd be getting a younger version of Miller but with questionable attitude. My guess is we'll just run more 4WR in obvious passing situations than we have in the past, and I like that idea better than using up roster space on a guy who isn't really the answer.

Makes sense... been in the league for 2 whole years already.....

William.carter
09-07-2005, 06:02 PM
WOOPS ! ... i got yer name mixxed up w/ WillisXPress ...dont ask me how but i did :brickwall

There was no foul on the play. First down Texans! *whistle blows*

wags
09-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Texans | Mruczkowski Worked Out
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 06:56:15 -0700

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports free agent OL Gene Mruczkowski (Patriots) worked out for the Houston Texans, but he hasn't been signed to a contract.

Texans | Interested in Carlyle
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 12:07:00 -0700

The Houston Texans have shown an interest in free agent DB Calvin Carlyle (Ravens).

from www.kffl.com