PDA

View Full Version : Where will NO play?

bignasty
08-28-2005, 01:13 PM
If the reports are correct and they say that the city will be 25 feet under water for up to 4 months. Where will they play this year and what will the 1.5 million people do? Very sad times for such a unique city

Fiddy
08-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Los Angeles probably or they may use some college stadium somewhere in Lousiana...

awtysst
08-28-2005, 01:39 PM
If the reports are correct and they say that the city will be 25 feet under water for up to 4 months. Where will they play this year and what will the 1.5 million people do? Very sad times for such a unique city

Unfortunatly the people will have to seek temporary or permanent residence elsewhere. as for the Saints, they might play at LSU.

bignasty
08-28-2005, 01:40 PM
they just announced that the winds are up to 184 and the pressure is down to 902. That would make it # 2 on the worst hurricanes EVER

Errant Hothy
08-28-2005, 02:16 PM
I would quess LSU or just make them a permament road team till NO is okay. I cant imagine any of teh season ticket holders travelling to see teh team anywhere when their city is leveled (or likely to be).

Godspeed to those in this thing's path.

Buzz
08-28-2005, 04:53 PM
LSU seems like a good place for the team since it's still in-state, but they could probably move a few games to Reliant Stadium or prep the Astrodome and have them play there if necessary.
Hopefully things won't be too bad and they can get everything cleaned up and people back into the city soon afterwards.

Fiddy
08-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Astrodome would take too much work to fix up. I have heard that there are rats the size of cats...

Derek
08-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Could the game be reschuduled a day earlier or something? Because in the season opener last year the Titans faced Miami and a hurricane was in Miami but they played the game on Sat. avoiding the hurricane.

Fiddy
08-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Could the game be reschuduled a day earlier or something? Because in the season opener last year the Titans faced Miami and a hurricane was in Miami but they played the game on Sat. avoiding the hurricane. There are 1000s of people staying in the Superdome to get away from the Hurricane. The Superdome is deemed useless this year if the hurricane hits cause Nawlins will be under water for a very long time.

Derek
08-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Yeah I just read more about this so yeah I know now..

Hervoyel
08-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Astrodome would take too much work to fix up. I have heard that there are rats the size of cats...

The Saints will feel right at home then. The Superdome's rats are second to none.

Fiddy
08-28-2005, 10:23 PM
The Saints will feel right at home then. The Superdome's rats are second to none. LOL, excellent point. Remember the mouse that ran across the field when we were there 2 years ago???

Hervoyel
08-28-2005, 11:00 PM
LOL, excellent point. Remember the mouse that ran across the field when we were there 2 years ago???

Oh yeah, that little dude was truckin too. Right in the middle of the game he just decides to cross the field. When a rat's got no fear of Gary Walker then that my friend is rat to be reckoned with.

bignasty
08-28-2005, 11:10 PM
when the field floods like they have been predicting then those cat rats will join the 30000 people taking refuge in the upper decks. Talk about histaria

Fiddy
08-28-2005, 11:35 PM
When a rat's got no fear of Gary Walker then that my friend is rat to be reckoned with. That went straight to the sig. Had to edit it a little bit but it is alright.

I'm seriously laughing everytime I read it...

HowBoutThemCowboys!
08-29-2005, 05:56 PM
How about Nacho Town? Red McCombs has always been flirting with the idea to move to San Antonio, now would be the perfect time. All they need to do with the Alamo Dome is put some field turf in and it'll be ready to go.

Jagsbch
08-30-2005, 07:05 AM
NEW: Saints' contingency plans include San Antonio
Web Posted: 08/29/2005 04:55 PM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

The Alamodome will keep Sept. 18 vacant should the New Orleans Saints decide to move their home opener against the New York Giants to San Antonio, a city official said today.

“We would love to have them,” Alamodome director Mike Abington said. “We certainly don’t wish them the misfortune that would force them to come here. But if that is the case, we would love to have them and a lot of our citizens would love to watch them.”

San Antonio has never hosted a regular-season NFL game.

Saints officials called Abington after learning Hurricane Katrina had ripped two holes in the curved roof of the Louisiana Superdome, the Saints home.

Each hole measured about 15 to 20 feet long and 4 to 5 feet wide, Superdome and government emergency officials estimated.

The Saints flew to San Jose on Sunday to prepare for their Thursday night preseason game against the Oakland Raiders.

Abington said the Saints official said the team plans to practice next week in Charlotte, N.C., where the club will open the regular season on Sept. 11 against the Carolina Panthers.

The Saints practiced in San Antonio for three days last September after fleeing New Orleans ahead of Hurricane Ivan.

Saints owner Tom Benson, a New Orleans native, was once one of San Antonio’s biggest car dealers. He still owns a ranch in the Hill Country and often attends Mass at the University of the Incarnate Word.

In addition to speaking to Abington, the Saints also called the Marriott Rivercenter to ask about availability.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA082905.en.saints.760ae68.html

shinerbock_girl
08-30-2005, 07:53 AM
How about Nacho Town? Red McCombs has always been flirting with the idea to move to San Antonio, now would be the perfect time. All they need to do with the Alamo Dome is put some field turf in and it'll be ready to go.

Actually there is talk from the SA radio station and other news that they are considering the Alamodome here in SA because they were trying to locate areas to play but could not find any stadiums available except the Alamodome....And it is large enough to accommodate 68,000 ppl.....They said sept 18th against the giants here, and if their dome is not in shape by oct 2 then that game will be here in SA also...I can't wait.... :drool:

swisher
08-30-2005, 04:21 PM
The Superdome is looking pretty bad right now. The material on the roof is ripped to shreds and its starting to fill with water...just like the rest of New Orleans. They are in the process of evacuating the stadium.

Thousands of wet people, two holes in the roof, a stadium full of water, no AC, bathrooms that must reek (is the plumbing even working?)

Not to mention the couple people who have died there, including one apparent suicide jumper from the upper deck.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/swisher/capt.jpg

"Officials had earlier reported two deaths at the Superdome, and now, they report that someone died Tuesday after plunging from an upper level of the stadium. They say the person probably jumped."

http://www.wdsu.com/news/4916024/detail.html

shinerbock_girl
08-30-2005, 05:00 PM
The Superdome is looking pretty bad right now. The material on the roof is ripped to shreds and its starting to fill with water...just like the rest of New Orleans. They are in the process of evacuating the stadium.

Thousands of wet people, two holes in the roof, a stadium full of water, no AC, bathrooms that must reek (is the plumbing even working?)

Not to mention the couple people who have died there, including one apparent suicide jumper from the upper deck.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/swisher/capt.jpg

"Officials had earlier reported two deaths at the Superdome, and now, they report that someone died Tuesday after plunging from an upper level of the stadium. They say the person probably jumped."

http://www.wdsu.com/news/4916024/detail.html

That is sooo horrible.....They said even if they could get the dome repaired by Oct 2 they were concerned about the saftey issue of the structure when it fills with a loud crowd of ppl....

shinerbock_girl
08-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Well it looks like the Saints will be playing here in SA against the Giants since they will be setting up their practice facility here...Iam definately going on the 18th.....

HowBoutThemCowboys!
08-30-2005, 05:17 PM
3 Texas teams. Finally.... The way it should be.

It was ridiculous when we only had one NFL team in all places- TEXAS. While Florida and and California had 3 each.

z0rpAn
08-30-2005, 05:19 PM
wish we could get some louisianans tickets and free travel to their game, that would look very good for Houston...even if it IS a preseason game.

WWJD
08-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Yea it would look good but something tells me if you lived in NO you probably could care less about football right about now.

Ibar_Harry
08-30-2005, 09:07 PM
They are reporting locally that the Fresno State Stadium has been offered to the Saints for their games. That would be a funny development.......

TEXANS84
08-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Well it looks like the Saints will be playing here in SA against the Giants since they will be setting up their practice facility here...Iam definately going on the 18th.....

Not so fast. I've seen reports that they may be having practice in San Antonio, but the first game date has not been set yet.

Word is that Shreveport, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are in the mix to get the Saints for the opener:

Tim Brando was on a local radio station this afternoon. He spoke to Greg Bensel and asked whether or not any discussion about moving the Saints games had taken place and was Tiger stadium under consideration. Bensel replied it had been discussed and Tiger stadium was not being considered. The four options at this time were San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, and Shreveport. Any change would have to be approved by the league and could be vetoed by an owner if the site is deemed by the league to be within that teams’ area. This would obviously apply to Houston and Dallas and probably San Antonio.

LINK (http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=171831&perpage=20&pagenumber=2)

V Man
08-30-2005, 09:10 PM
San Antonio has also offered the Alamodome. Supposedly the Saint officals have talked with local officals. Plus Benson (Saint's owner has San Antonio ties), and they practiced in the dome last year while avoiding a storm.

texansfan88
08-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Not so fast. I've seen reports that they may be having practice in San Antonio, but the first game date has not been set yet.

Word is that Shreveport, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are in the mix to get the Saints for the opener:

LINK (http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=171831&perpage=20&pagenumber=2)
Houston has a home game that day, so it wont happen

Hervoyel
08-30-2005, 09:20 PM
3 Texas teams. Finally.... The way it should be.

It was ridiculous when we only had one NFL team in all places- TEXAS. While Florida and and California had 3 each.

If the third team is the Saints then I don't want them. Not because Texas is too good for the Saints. I'm just not comfortable with even joking about taking their football team. At the best of times that's not a laughing matter. Right now it's unthinkable.

San Antonio will give them a good "home" crowd for as long as they need it I'm sure and send them back to the Superdome when it's ready feeling like they have a second home field.

Also I'm fairly certain that even the NFL isn't foolish enough to take a citys football team after that city went through an ordeal like this hurricane. Hopefully they look elsewhere for their pet Los Angelas franchise. I'd really rather they forget about it altogether.

Boxscore
08-30-2005, 09:52 PM
If Houston is not at home, I think Reliant would be a great place for the Saint's to play. Many of New Orleans residents may still be here, and even if the Saint fans have to travel, Houston is close. It would also give us Houston football fans a chance to go see some other pro teams.

Reminder: Houston Texans - third week bye.

TEXANS84
08-30-2005, 09:55 PM
Houston has a home game that day, so it wont happen

FOX26 just confirmed with Bob McNair offering to the Saints and the NFL for them to play on September 18th at Reliant Stadium. I am assuming it would be put in as a night game.

McNair stated-"It would be a stretch, but we would help out our friends. It would take a lot of effort to get it done, but we could do it".

slyfox68
08-30-2005, 10:50 PM
During the Channel 13 10:00 news, they reported the Saints will play at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

TEXANS84
08-31-2005, 11:05 AM
During the Channel 13 10:00 news, they reported the Saints will play at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Practice, but nothing is set in stone as far as the home opener against the Giants is confirmed.

Here is new info, geared towards Houston:

HOUSTON -- The Houston Texans' stadium could be used for the New Orleans Saints' home opener if the hurricane-damaged Louisiana Superdome isn't available, stadium president and general manager Shea Guinn said Tuesday.

Guinn offered Reliant Park as an option to the NFL, but hasn't heard back from the league.

The Saints are supposed to play their home opener Sept. 18, the same date the Texans play the Pittsburgh Steelers at home.

"It would be a heck of a lot of work and a challenge but the circumstances are extraordinary. We would do everything we can to help," Guinn told Houston television station KRIV.

Tens of thousands of refugees from Hurricane Katrina have been staying at the Superdome, but officials said Tuesday they would have to evacuate as flood water continues to rise.

AP NEWS
LINK (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8788075)

Speedy
08-31-2005, 02:55 PM
They'll probably play their first couple of games at the Alamodome, then finish out the "home" schedule at LSU. Heard today that the Sugar Bowl would probably have to be moved. If that's the case, the Saints will not be playing there this year.

TEXANS84
08-31-2005, 03:23 PM
I just don't see them playing there anytime soon.

The #1 prority there is finding people. Not to rebuild the stadium. And even if they did, who would come to the games or how would they get there? Who would work the games and what hotels are available?

The Saints will not play there at least until November at the earliest.

shinerbock_girl
08-31-2005, 03:26 PM
If the third team is the Saints then I don't want them. Not because Texas is too good for the Saints. I'm just not comfortable with even joking about taking their football team. At the best of times that's not a laughing matter. Right now it's unthinkable.

San Antonio will give them a good "home" crowd for as long as they need it I'm sure and send them back to the Superdome when it's ready feeling like they have a second home field.

Also I'm fairly certain that even the NFL isn't foolish enough to take a citys football team after that city went through an ordeal like this hurricane. Hopefully they look elsewhere for their pet Los Angelas franchise. I'd really rather they forget about it altogether.

Oh i wasn't talking about Texas taking away their football team...That would be unthinkable right now...Only excited the possibility was there to actually have an NFL game being played in SA....

Studmuffin
08-31-2005, 03:45 PM
The Texans will have to share the playing field with the New Orleans Saints since the Louisiana Superdome and the infrastructure of New Orleans, LA seems to be "off line" until further notice?

What do the Texans fans think about this? :fishing: :hmmm:

infantrycak
08-31-2005, 03:58 PM
Really doubt it happens. Welcome to the MB though. After a little while this thread is going to be merged into the Where will NO play thread over in the NFL forum.

Fiddy
08-31-2005, 05:00 PM
The Saints will not play there at least until November at the earliest. I think that is wishfull thinking. I believe that the earliest they play there is next year.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
08-31-2005, 05:08 PM
I'm in shock over this whole thing. I know alot of New Orlean fans from other message boards that lost everything.. I cant believe it. God Bless New Orleans.

WWJD
08-31-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm guessing most of the Saints players/coaches and management probably lost everything also.

I am 48 and searching my little brain I cannot remember our country ever facing such a horrific event with so much damage and who knows how many deaths. 9/11 is the closest thing I can compare this to in this country. The news gets worse everytime you switch on the TV.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
08-31-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm guessing most of the Saints players/coaches and management probably lost everything also.

I am 48 and searching my little brain I cannot remember our country ever facing such a horrific event with so much damage and who knows how many deaths. 9/11 is the closest thing I can compare this to in this country. The news gets worse everytime you switch on the TV.

Galveston went through a devastating hurricane a long time ago, but I don't think it was this bad..

I cannot believe what is happening, so many people have lost everything. God Bless the victims.

swisher
08-31-2005, 06:38 PM
Galveston went through a devastating hurricane a long time ago, but I don't think it was this bad..

I cannot believe what is happening, so many people have lost everything. God Bless the victims.

Well, 8,000 people died (and it might actually be closer to 10 to 11,000) in Galveston during the 1900 hurricane. There were so many dead they had to pile bodies on rafts and dump them in the sea, and when the bodies washed ashore a few days later they had to take them back out and burn them....so it was pretty bad.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/Landsea/deadly/Table2.htm

Hervoyel
08-31-2005, 07:50 PM
The Galveston hurricane of 1900 was this bad or worse. Maybe the storm wasn't as powerful (I honestly don't know) but the lack of warning back then along with the lack of concrete more than made up for it. There was no sea wall and the island was something like less than a couple of feet above sea level if I remember correctly. The city was made up of almost all wood frame houses and buildings with very few brick or stone structures. Notice all the lumber floating around Louisiana and Mississippi right now? Pictures from the Galveston storm look like that except the stacks of sticks are twice the height of a man in places. The whole island was washed/blown away.

There were only a handful of structures standing after the Galveston s

JustBonee
08-31-2005, 07:55 PM
Well, 8,000 people died (and it might actually be closer to 10 to 11,000) in Galveston during the 1900 hurricane. There were so many dead they had to pile bodies on rafts and dump them in the sea, and when the bodies washed ashore a few days later they had to take them back out and burn them....so it was pretty bad.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/Landsea/deadly/Table2.htm

There is a little movie theater in Galveston, down by Landry's, that continually shows 'the storm'. Whether 6000 - 8000- or 10,000 people died, the population was only around 37,000. So, yes, that is a great deal of the people killed no matter how you size it up.

Storm Facts: http://www.1900storm.com/facts.lasso

TEXANS84
08-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Just heard them say that they are going to have to evacuate the Prison (not the jail) in Jefferson Parrish.

TMac48
08-31-2005, 11:32 PM
If the folks in San Antonio play their cards right and show the Saints managment that they can be good fans and fill up the Alamodome, I could see the Saints moving there. There has been talk of the Saints relocating and SA has been brought up in those discussions. This is SA's chance to prove they deserve a team.

JustBonee
09-01-2005, 09:39 AM
It would be good for the people of Louisiana to have LSU's Tiger stadium be the temporary home to the Saints games, if that is feasible.
There are so many Saint fans around Baton Rouge, and at a time like this, they need this.

WWJD
09-01-2005, 10:41 AM
The History Channel periodically has a special they show on the 1900 storm. A good read about the same storm is a book called "Issac's Storm". I had a great great grandfather that lost his whole family..wife, children. He never found out what happened to them although of course he knew they died. He spent the whole storm hanging on to a pole.

I do wonder how/if New Orleans will change. Galveston was THE city in the South until that 1900 storm. They never recaptured what they lost. You wonder if NO will suffer the same fate.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
09-01-2005, 05:23 PM
There is a little movie theater in Galveston, down by Landry's, that continually shows 'the storm'.

Yeah, I check out the movie everytime I visit Galveston.

Boxscore
09-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Saints owner has a home in San Antonio. Could they relocate?

HowBoutThemCowboys!
09-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Giants-Saints game moved to Meadowlands

(Sept. 2, 2005) -- A statement from NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue:

Our nation has experienced an unprecedented natural disaster and we join everyone now in focusing our attention on the massive relief and recovery needs of the Gulf Coast region.

On the home schedule of the New Orleans Saints this season, we will move the site of the Saints' first home game, which had been scheduled for the Louisiana Superdome on September 18 against the New York Giants, to Giants Stadium on that same weekend. We are in the process of working out the specific arrangements, including the day and kickoff time of the game and plans for television coverage. Information on tickets will be announced by the Giants within a few days.

We deeply appreciate the strong cooperation and leadership of Saints owner Tom Benson and the entire Saints organization in addressing the current extraordinary situation. We also appreciate the support of the Giants and the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority in these efforts.

There are many reasons for this decision, including recognizing that the overwhelming priority for public and private resources in Louisiana and the Gulf Coast region in the weeks ahead must be the essential needs of the public and the restoration of the area’s infrastructure.

With the support of Giants fans and others in the New Jersey/New York area, this Saints-Giants game will be presented with elements that will highlight and contribute to the national relief effort. The Saints and Giants will donate a portion of the gate proceeds from the game to Hurricane Katrina relief.

The Saints represent Louisiana and New Orleans, and we will work closely with public officials there to maintain a focus on the region's needs and the role of the NFL and Saints in the recovery.

- http://nfl.com/news/story/8798023

HowBoutThemCowboys!
09-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Oh my God. If your listening to music right now, put it on pause I listen to this. I swear this will go down as one of the most inspirational radio interviews in the history of the U.S.

The New Orleans Mayor literally explodes. Very emotional at the end- http://tinyurl.com/7kt5t

He tells it as it is.

Fiddy
09-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Giants-Saints game moved to Meadowlands I'm not surprised by this. The NFL went for the money. Go to the small market in San Antonio or go get another game in the biggest market in America. The money made better go to the Saints and New Orleans...

swisher
09-03-2005, 09:05 AM
I'm not surprised by this. The NFL went for the money. Go to the small market in San Antonio or go get another game in the biggest market in America. The money made better go to the Saints and New Orleans...

How does this make any sense? Giving the Giants 9 home games this season? Why not find an NFL stadium any where in the country that is not in use that day?

I thought I remember Tags saying it was important that the Saints to play as close to home as possible....I guess he thinks New Jersey is just down the road.

JustBonee
09-03-2005, 09:20 AM
They are probably making Saint football plans on the fly right now while more important issues are dealt with. I've heard that maybe all their 'home' games might be on the road, at their opponent's field, this season. Probably nobody knows what is going to happen.
They might find their way to some home games at LSU, but the circumstances there are too confusing for the moment.

Texans_Chick
09-04-2005, 02:26 PM
I hope this is not true.

http://www.wdsu.com/news/4934334/detail.html

Saints To Play In San Antonio: No Refunds

POSTED: 6:55 am CDT September 4, 2005

The New Orleans Saints will play all home games and San Antonio and will not refund ticket holders, according to a high-ranking official with the team who contacted a WDSU sports reporter. An official announcement is expected in the next day or two.

I truly hope they reconsider this. Maybe they want to get some salt and lemon juice to pour in their wounds too.