PDA

View Full Version : Julius Jones

HJam72
08-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Not a cowboy fan, but just wondering what some of you think of this guy. I heard last night that he ran for 800 yds. in those 4 games that he was so hot toward the end of the year last year, before he got his collar bone broken. Is he gonna be back and for real?

Also, how 'bout Chris Brown from Tennessee?

DoCt3rJ
08-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Julius Jones came on during the 2nd half of the season when he was fully fresh. Ofcourse you have to remember the players all around him have been playing the whole season. But he did rush for over 800 yards in the last half of the season. I dont think Parcells will put that kind of load on him this year with the depth at RB(A-Train, Barber). His avg was only 3.8, but then again LT's was 3.9 last year. He's a good back, quick and shifty. Parcells said he's added weight and is lookin real good this training camp. So expect him to be a top 10 back atleast.

As for Chris Brown, he's showed alot of flash, but can he stay healthy? Plus, with Travis Henry now in the mix, Henry may be the better option, as he got the start last night (not sure if Brown was injured), but expect both to split alot of time.

Texas Torture
08-14-2005, 06:07 PM
he looks to be like a type of joe morgan [if that means something to u]. jones is a smallish guy who won't knock anyone over, but if the hole is there, he's gone. he's relatively untried, but fresh. doc told u about last yr, but before that, at notre dame, he struggled early with academic problems, but came on late. that looks to be behind him and he seems to have grown up a little.

bill parcells isn't my fav, but he does seem to have a knack for unearthing some relatively obscure rbs from the college ranks. besides morgan, he discovered curtis martin and rodney hampton.

and he revived the career of ottis anderson. adrian murrell and richie anderson did well under him, but by the time they got to dallas, the sun had already set on their careers.

the bottom line on julius jones, is that the jury is still out. he hasn't done alot yet, but showed flashes last yr. but u can say that about alot of rbs over the yrs, can't u?

z0rpAn
08-15-2005, 11:05 AM
bill parcells...discovered curtis martin...

didn't martin win the heisman? He was at least a candidate so parcells discovered something that was already there...

Huge
08-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Martin came in the league in '95. He wasn't in the top 10 of the Heisman for any year prior to that. And usually if it's pretty obvious you've got it, you don't last 'till the 3rd round of the draft (74th overall pick).

michaelm
08-15-2005, 12:54 PM
I saw an interview with julius last year that made me like him despite the fact that he's a cowgirl. It's very difficult for me to actually like a cowgirl, but even harder to say it...
He is a very well spoken, and modest young man. He was very objective about his own abilities and acknowleged his short comings and the work he needs to do to improve on them.
Physically, I think he is pretty gifted. He should easily be in the top ten RBs league wide if he plays a full season. Considering Parcell's type of offense, he should put up good numbers.
Even though he is a cowgirl, and even though he is on the roster of my fanasy football division rival, I still find myself pulling for the guy.

michaelm
08-15-2005, 12:56 PM
You mean Joe Morris right? I don't remember a Joe Morgan, only in baseball. :)

That's what I was thinking... although I did think I was losing it for a minute because I couldn't place this Joe Morgan running back...

Texas Torture
08-16-2005, 05:16 PM
You mean Joe Morris right? I don't remember a Joe Morgan, only in baseball. :)

right u r! good call! i don't even watch bb much, so i don't know where that 1 came from. :confused:

TheOgre
08-16-2005, 05:26 PM
I remember Curtis Martin played UT when he was in college. It seems like he rushed for over 200 yards in a close game (I think UT won but I cannot remember). It was early in the season, so I started to keep an eye on him. The problem was that he was VERY injury prone throughout college. It is the reason he fell in the draft (3rd round?). I liked the fact that the Patriots drafted him to go with Bledsoe. I remember thinking they were building a team that could win a couple of rings.

It is amazing to see that Martin has been the model of health over his Pro career after what I saw in college.

Just goes to show you that impressions of players often do not reflect reality.

TheOgre
08-16-2005, 05:30 PM
Wow my memory is better than I thought (apparently Texas won 30-28):

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/jets/2004-09-29-curtis-martin-cover_x.htm

cuppacoffee
08-16-2005, 07:37 PM
I saw an interview with julius last year that made me like him despite the fact that he's a cowgirl. It's very difficult for me to actually like a cowgirl, but even harder to say it...
He is a very well spoken, and modest young man. He was very objective about his own abilities and acknowleged his short comings and the work he needs to do to improve on them.
Physically, I think he is pretty gifted. He should easily be in the top ten RBs league wide if he plays a full season. Considering Parcell's type of offense, he should put up good numbers.
Even though he is a cowgirl, and even though he is on the roster of my fanasy football division rival, I still find myself pulling for the guy.

I declared Julius the steal of the draft last year on draft day.

"Patting self on back"...:D

cac: :coffee:

Go Irish :yahoo:

Texas Torture
08-17-2005, 05:45 PM
yr after yr, the 'experts' kept ignoring martin. well, no one's ignoring him anymore. i like lamont jordan and wish him the best in oakland, but i wouldn't start scalping sb tickets because they had some 1st qtr success vs the niners in the first preseason gm. it's a lot different when u have to go out on the field every sunday and perform- ask troy hambrick. a few yrs ago, he was gripin that emmitt was getting too many snaps. the next yr, smith went to the cards and troy moved to starting rb and it was time for his back up to start gripin- along with the rest of us.