PDA

View Full Version : Clarett Turns Down Guaranteed Cash

Vinny
07-28-2005, 09:55 PM
He is putting his money where his mouth is. On Thursday, he signed a four-year contract in which he gave up the $410,000 of guaranteed money in order to secure an incentive-laden deal that could eventually earn him $7 million...

...Specifics of the contract are sketchy, but it works something like this. If Clarett gains 1,000 yards, he could hit an escalator worth more than $1 million, almost three times what he would have made in a signing bonus given to him by the Broncos.

The more he rushes for, the more he makes. He can max out at around $7 million.

This was Clarett's gamble. He has the confidence he can gain the yards and hit the $7 million figure. Rollovers give him a chance to make the big bumps in salary if he doesn't do it as a rookie.

To further show his commitment, he accepted no guarantees. The $410,000 the Broncos were willing to give him Thursday was put into workout bonuses in 2006, 2007 and 2008. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2119064

kbourda
07-28-2005, 10:05 PM
That's ok. If he does well great. I think it's more of a PR move by Clarett but even more than that it may be a risky one. I never had a bad thought about him one way or another.

Youngstown Colt
07-28-2005, 10:38 PM
I think it's a great move for him. It will keep him motivated.

nunusguy
07-29-2005, 08:38 AM
"Instead of suing the league, Clarett came up with a novel approach. He is putting his money where his mouth is. On Thursday, he signed a four-year contract in which he gave up the $410,000 of guaranteed money in order to secure an incentive-laden deal that could eventually earn him $7 million."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2119064
The former Ohio State RB wants to make his money the old fashioned way,
he wants to earn it.

JustBonee
07-29-2005, 08:52 AM
No one can accuse him of being mainstream. This cat is different! Hope that he is motivated enough to show everyone what he can do. After all the detours along the way, maybe he is ready to get it right.

Yankee_In_TX
07-29-2005, 09:03 AM
*shrugs*

Unless he's done some SERIOUS growing up in the last few years....

But I will NEVER get visions of the temper tantrum throwing it takes a coach and a few players to calm me down when play doesn't go me way out of my head......

StarStruck
07-29-2005, 01:00 PM
*shrugs*

Unless he's done some SERIOUS growing up in the last few years....

But I will NEVER get visions of the temper tantrum throwing it takes a coach and a few players to calm me down when play doesn't go me way out of my head......

Some would call that passion :) It will be interesting to see how Clarett does now that he has begun his career.

BringItOn
08-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Remeber Ricky's wonderful incentive-ladden contract that everyone thought was bone-headed? I think it's more likely that this is being driven by ego and not humility.

Even if he wasn't competing with a handful of legitimate starters, what's the last Denver running back you can name that started 4 years in a row? It's extremely unlikely that he will reach the max on that contract.

Ihategeeks
08-03-2005, 05:11 PM
PR move? PR moves are visitng sick Kids

Not putting yourself in the position to lose million of dollars with 1 knee injury.

Clarrett has a contract that everyone wants players to have. One that pays for what he does, and not what he could do.

Buzz
08-03-2005, 07:14 PM
I think it's more of a PR move by Clarett but even more than that it may be a risky one.
I agree that it's risky- he has to get ahead of both Bell and Anderson right now before he can even think about putting up good numbers.

Huge
08-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Bell and Anderson have injury issues (or at least a history of them). I think the Broncos are going to want to turn Clarett into a feel good story and will see he gets the carries. In their offense, if he gets the carries, he's going to get the numbers.

I think it's partly a PR move. But knowing their offense, he could hit the incentives pretty easily (I say that not knowing what the incentives are).

Youngstown Colt
08-03-2005, 11:09 PM
PR move? PR moves are visitng sick Kids

Not putting yourself in the position to lose million of dollars with 1 knee injury.

Clarrett has a contract that everyone wants players to have. One that pays for what he does, and not what he could do.Yep, he made a move that can actually lose him money, and like you said, this is the contract we want them to have.

It's a pretty bad PR move if the only publicity it get's is on internet forums. But I can't expect many people to give him the benefit of the doubt.

TheOgre
08-04-2005, 08:00 AM
I am actually hoping he turns it around and does well. It isn't like he was involved in a murder or drug trafficking (like some Ravens). He made some bad choices. He has paid for them already. Time to move on.

Yankee_In_TX
08-04-2005, 03:13 PM
I am actually hoping he turns it around and does well. It isn't like he was involved in a murder or drug trafficking (like some Ravens). He made some bad choices. He has paid for them already. Time to move on.
That's the thing.

He didn't pay for any of his mistakes.

He dropped out of school.

He never apologized.

His only 'penalty' we getting out of shape.

kbourda
08-04-2005, 06:01 PM
That's the thing.

He never apologized.

So are you his judge , jury, and executioner? Does that really bother you that he dropped out of school and didn't apoligize (for what I don't know)? I'm not trying to be rude so please don't think I am. I'm just trying to understand why some people take the actions of athletes so personal.

Porky
08-04-2005, 06:13 PM
So are you his judge , jury, and executioner? Does that really bother you that he dropped out of school and didn't apoligize (for what I don't know)? I'm not trying to be rude so please don't think I am. I'm just trying to understand why some people take the actions of athletes so personal.

You sig is "All a Man's got is the integrity of his work" but you don't understand what the flap is about? Irony is a beautiful thing. :highfive:

kbourda
08-04-2005, 06:30 PM
You sig is "All a Man's got is the integrity of his work" but you don't understand what the flap is about? Irony is a beautiful thing. :highfive:
I know what my sig is but at the sametime how does that directly affect me as an individual? Being that it is Mr. Clarett's actions, right. And it is nowhere near irony.

kbourda
08-04-2005, 06:31 PM
And furthermore there is no "flap". At least not anymore.

Ihategeeks
08-04-2005, 08:39 PM
You are old.

wags
08-04-2005, 09:57 PM
I never apologized for dropping out of College either. I hope it doesn't haunt me when I get old.

Yes, but I'm sure you didn't break university rules, lie to investigators, or try to get your coach (professor) in trouble upon your departure. Or did you? :hmmm:

Youngstown Colt
08-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Yes, but I'm sure you didn't break university rules, lie to investigators, or try to get your coach (professor) in trouble upon your departure. Or did you? :hmmm:many people have falsified insurance reports, many have broken university rules, and the coach thing? What would you do if you were backed into a corner and everyone was blaming everything on you.

Sorry, but what he did isn't that bad.

Ihategeeks
08-04-2005, 11:24 PM
many people have falsified insurance reports, many have broken university rules, and the coach thing? What would you do if you were backed into a corner and everyone was blaming everything on you.

Sorry, but what he did isn't that bad.

Clarrett was realesed from OSU, and had his scolarship revoked because of a misdermeanor charge.
Even before he had his day in court.

I think it was to cover up all the scandal that was going on at OSU, and keep the attention of the NCAA away from them.

Clarett accused coach Jim Tressel, his staff and school boosters of arranging for him to get passing grades, cars and thousands of dollars, including for bogus summer jobs.

Geiger said many of them were found to be baseless in investigations by the NCAA and the university.

"The allegations are so sweeping, so over the top that we are going to be forced to spend huge resources, so much time and energy and effort, to try and get this right," Geiger said. "This isn't going to be solved by the Michigan game or by (the time of) a bowl game. It will take months, I imagine."

Tressel sternly shook his head no when asked if the article distracted his players from the game against Purdue, which the Boilermakers won 24-17.

On Sunday, the Columbus Dispatch reported 64 car dealers are part of a program to give free cars to Ohio State coaches and members of the athletic department staff in exchange for perks, such as access to great tickets.

The program is allowed by the NCAA at Division I schools, and it is up to the schools to monitor it, NCAA spokeswoman Jennifer Kearns told the newspaper.

Clarett said Tressel set him up with a free loaner car from the same dealership where the coach gets his cars under the program.

Geiger said Tressel did try to help Clarett buy a car through the dealership that leases cars to several Ohio State coaches and administrators. But Clarett and his mother did not meet with the dealer to make arrangements to buy the car, Geiger said, and the dealership came to Columbus several days later to repossess it. . cbs

Andy Geiger is stepping down as athletic director at Ohio State, citing burnout after almost two years of NCAA investigations into the school's football and basketball programs. espn

next time Ohio state wants to sell out their players, they better make sure they don't have any dirty deals with him

Like the work program Clarrett Mentioned.
Players get a paycheck to work. But don't actually have to work, or even be there to get paid.

in any event, the whole mess with Clarrett, Geiger, then Troy Smith, and a few other players, made Michigan Look a bit better because of it's basketball scandal. OSU hardly got punished for all the violations. Which is bullcrap.

SicilianJag
08-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Did Maurice have a rapper negotiate his new deal? Sounds like Ricky Williams all over again, except Ricky at least knew he had a good chance to start and earn his incentives.

The one thing I can't get over is how SLOW he was at the combine. He wasn't even average. I guess with the bronc's blocking scheme all he needs to do is have good cutback instincts, but still.....

We'll find out. At least he's not holding out.

SicilianJag
08-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Ricky threw away guaranteed millions as a first rounder. 3rd round guys don't get guaranteed millions. This is fairly low risk compared to RW's contract.

That is a good point. Ricky's mistake was made on a much larger scale, but I still don't think you pass up the guaranteed money in this business.

TheOgre
08-05-2005, 02:11 PM
That's the thing.

He never apologized.

He lost out on a year of either playing college ball or making money in the NFL.

He tarnished his image so badly that he was barely taken at the end of the first day. This surely cost him a ton of money.

Instead of being drafted as a player that would likely start, he is going to have to struggle just to stay in the NFL.

He is now in a position where one big screwup and his career is probably over. Compare that to Ricky (how has been given more lives than a cat), and do you see the difference?

I think he has paid. Maybe not the way you want him to pay, but he has paid.

SicilianJag
08-11-2005, 03:53 PM
It was good money for most of us to say the least...but I think he will earn it unless he gets cut. For instance, our 3rd rounder Morency had $567k in guaranteed money in his contract. That would put Clarett in the 400k + range of bonus he passed on for incentives.

I heard on ESPN this morning that Clarett's hurt, not playing in the preseason game this weekend, was not running out his assignments like the other RBs and currently 5th on the depth chart.

Hindsight's 20/20, so I'm not criticizing your original opinion, but the guy's gotta be wondering about his contract now.