PDA

View Full Version : Clowney had sports hernia surgery

Playoffs
06-13-2014, 12:26 PM
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
J-Jo and Brooks Reed had sports hernia surgery in Philadelphia in the past. Now Clowney has gone there for it. J-Joe told me it’s one of best

O’Brien says Clowney has been sent to Philadelphia for sports hernia surgery. Will be ready for training camp. #Texans
Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
O'Brien says that Clowney was sent to Philadelphia for evaluation. Team felt surgery was the best option for him. #Texans

Bill O'Brien says Clowney had an issue with his groin. Had sports hernia surgery yesterday. Will be back for training camp.
Brian T. Smith @ChronBrianSmith
#Texans' O'Brien said team decided to take care of Clowney's groin issue now. Hadn't been troubling him long. Expects him in camp. #NFL
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Johnathan Joseph had sports hernias a couple years ago that he waited to treat. It's usually better to surgically repair it quickly. #Texans

kingtexan
06-13-2014, 12:28 PM
Ouch ...

badboy
06-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Don't stop taking the painkillers too early.

honored82
06-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Does this surgery really have such a small recovery time ?

DX-TEX
06-13-2014, 12:38 PM
I cant WAIT for Cloaks rainbows and lollipops diagnosis.:gun:

PDS ‏@PatDStat · 10m
J.J. Watt suffered an hyper extended knee yesterday at practice. Held out today. #Texans

Great! Awesome! let the March for Mariotta begin!!

badboy
06-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Does this surgery really have such a small recovery time ?My bi-laterals done April 4th and were still tender until later in May. I was walking but nothing like he will be doing.

cland
06-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Damnit Watt! Doing squats while holding a Mack Truck in each hand may work for you, but you should know Clowney needs to work up to that level.

DX-TEX
06-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Clowneys groin, Watts knee and newton named starter.....

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Kristen-Bell-Laughing-to-Crying.gif

Todays Texans emotions in gif form.

Playoffs
06-13-2014, 01:24 PM
You don't read about Blake Bortles having hernia problems... just saying.

http://www.mediabistro.com/prnewser/files/2014/02/Fat-Green-Troll.jpg

IDEXAN
06-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Jez, between this new announcement on JD and Quesenberry's diagnosis of lymphoma just a couple days ago, this is not an auspicious start to the 2014 season.

CloakNNNdagger
06-13-2014, 03:07 PM

It is unlikely that Clowney has been dealing with this since only the draft. Even though there may be an acute incident that leads to this condition, it is not something that is immediately recognized. Seldom is surgery performed short of ~6 weeks of conservative treatment. Theoretically, athletes can return to play in as little as 4-6 weeks. However, it tends to be closer to 8-10 weeks. The good news is that studies have shown that ~95% of athletes will be able to return to their pre-injury performance level. There are several studies that have shown that to attain this level, it will typically take anywhere from 3 to 6 months. Many surgeons will perform a contralateral (opposite) re-inforcement in athletes, even if there is no positive findings on this side, since later in 10% of cases, players go on develop one on that side. Some surgeons are critical of this approach because it increases the risks of the surgery theoretically x 2. Johnathan Joseph underwent bilateral surgeries also by Dr. William Meyers in Philadelphia. Since this surgery, Joseph has apparently not regained his pre-injury performance for whatever reason. On the other hand, Brooks Reed had bilateral repair, again by Dr. Meyers, and seems to have regained his pre-injury performance level.

Playoffs
06-13-2014, 03:19 PM
...studies have shown that ~95% of athletes will be able to return to their pre-injury performance level.

:clap:

Texian
06-13-2014, 03:24 PM

MSR

CloakNNNdagger
06-13-2014, 03:28 PM

PDS ‏@PatDStat · 10m
J.J. Watt suffered an hyper extended knee yesterday at practice. Held out today. #Texans

This injury can be caused during contact or non-contact or by an already present posterior collateral ligament (PCL) or meniscus or even ACL injury. It can also notoriously cause PCL and ACL tears (as well as meniscus damage). Studies have shown that knee hyperextensions can increase the potential risk for ACl tears by 5 times. The extent of the hyperextension will determine the recovery. Mild injury may only take several weeks. Significant collateral damage of structures may require surgery. An MRI will be performed to determine if Watt has sustained a minor sprain or a major tear. Only then is it likely that we will be able to determine his probable time of return. Hopefully this will have only been a small bump in the road for the big man.

EllisUnit
06-13-2014, 03:45 PM
This injury can be caused during contact or non-contact or by an already present posterior collateral ligament (PCL) or meniscus or even ACL injury. It can also notoriously cause PCL and ACL tears (as well as meniscus damage). Studies have shown that knee hyperextensions can increase the potential risk for ACl tears by 5 times. The extent of the hyperextension will determine the recovery. Mild injury may only take several weeks. Significant collateral damage of structures may require surgery. An MRI will be performed to determine if Watt has sustained a minor sprain or a major tear. Only then is it likely that we will be able to determine his probable time of return. Hopefully this will have only been a small bump in the road for the big man.

My brother played center and had this happen to his knee, he had a partial PCL tear and his recovery time was 6 months to fully recover. Hopefully no tears occured.

Lambert
06-13-2014, 04:57 PM
It is unlikely that Clowney has been dealing with this since only the draft. Even though there may be an acute incident that leads to this condition, it is not something that is immediately recognized. Seldom is surgery performed short of ~6 weeks of conservative treatment. Theoretically, athletes can return to play in as little as 4-6 weeks. However, it tends to be closer to 8-10 weeks. The good news is that studies have shown that ~95% of athletes will be able to return to their pre-injury performance level. There are several studies that have shown that to attain this level, it will typically take anywhere from 3 to 6 months. Many surgeons will perform a contralateral (opposite) re-inforcement in athletes, even if there is no positive findings on this side, since later in 10% of cases, players go on develop one on that side. Some surgeons are critical of this approach because it increases the risks of the surgery theoretically x 2. Johnathan Joseph underwent bilateral surgeries also by Dr. William Meyers in Philadelphia. Since this surgery, Joseph has apparently not regained his pre-injury performance for whatever reason. On the other hand, Brooks Reed had bilateral repair, again by Dr. Meyers, and seems to have regained his pre-injury performance level.

From what I read at the time, I don't think Brooks had bilateral surgery, one side only.

CloakNNNdagger
06-13-2014, 05:07 PM
From what I read at the time, I don't think Brooks had bilateral surgery, one side only.

Going back, you're correct. I stand corrected. Although my source related that there was debate over performing a bilateral "repair." (rep on the way)

Hottoddie
06-13-2014, 05:34 PM

Doc,

STOP IT!! You're starting to scare me. Losing JJ for any amount of time would be devastating to my well being. :scare:

Marshall
06-13-2014, 05:44 PM

I've honestly not heard ANYTHING about Blake Bortles so that's no surprise.

Lambert
06-13-2014, 05:50 PM

On a better note, I have seen college players go down with a hyperextended knee---very painfull---go to the sidelines for a series and come back in the game seemingly ready to go.

MistaRed
06-13-2014, 06:14 PM
March for mariota? Scust.

Speedy recovery for Clown.

Playoffs
06-13-2014, 06:17 PM
It is unlikely that Clowney has been dealing with this since only the draft...

I posted about his "slight groin pull" he was dealing with during his pro day somewhere back in the Clowney prospect thread.

CloakNNNdagger
06-13-2014, 07:01 PM
I posted about his "slight groin pull" he was dealing with during his pro day somewhere back in the Clowney prospect thread.

MSR. That now makes sense. In order to make the diagnosis of "athletic pubalgia," or sports hernia, doctors must be aware of lending significant suspicion to the possibility of the diagnosis or they are bound to miss it until quite late when it has progressed to a point where it becomes somewhat debilitating.

Lambert
06-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Maybe someone knows why Clowney doesn't have the bone spur(s) on his right foot taken care of at the same time?

CloakNNNdagger
06-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Maybe someone knows why Clowney doesn't have the bone spur(s) on his right foot taken care of at the same time?

I've beaten that horse all through the predraft discussions. I believe the choice to ignore that chronic problem will come to bite him and the team in the butt.

Lambert
06-14-2014, 03:44 AM
I've beaten that horse all through the predraft discussions. I believe the choice to ignore that chronic problem will come to bite him and the team in the butt.

The prospect doesn't look good, does it? Reading between the lines, the #1 pick has groin surgery, needs foot surgery, is having trouble picking up the nuances of the OLB position, has red flags about work ethic. I know the Texans tried to trade out of the pick, but perhaps asked too much. Now that we're down to no depth at RT, Greg Robinson would have been a pick of the ages.

This is the stuff that makes or breaks GM's.

LikeMike
06-14-2014, 06:11 AM
The prospect doesn't look good, does it? Reading between the lines, the #1 pick has groin surgery, needs foot surgery, is having trouble picking up the nuances of the OLB position, has red flags about work ethic. I know the Texans tried to trade out of the pick, but perhaps asked too much. Now that we're down to no depth at RT, Greg Robinson would have been a pick of the ages.

I don`t know if it is time to panic yet. So far the injuries don`t seem "life threatening" and could be taken care of before the season starts. Clowney wasn`t injured a lot before, at least he is not known as an injury prone player. Maybe his drop in production even had something to do with the sports hernia?

IŽd have loved the Robinson pick, but I am also on the Clowney bandwagon. He clearly had the most impressive tape I watched out of all the prospects and he plays at a high value position and is said to be one of the best defensive prospects of the last 15 years. So let`s see how this plays out before we panic.

TheIronDuke
06-14-2014, 07:51 AM

Thankfully we have your awesome boyfriend Brooke Reed on defense so that's all we need!

CloakNNNdagger
06-14-2014, 08:31 AM

It has long been well known that foot problems will change the way you walk and can notoriously cause mechanical strain on the hip and back. Sports hernias, in turn, are very commonly found in individuals with a mechanical disorder of the hip and can often be resolved by addressing the underlying factor affecting this hip incoordination. As I said many times before the Draft, I wanted the pick, but only if Clowney agreed to address the bone spurs problem that he himself admitted on several interviews progressively bothered him over the years dating back to high school and affected his last year's performance.

Uncle Rico
06-14-2014, 09:51 AM
So it begins. Next up bone spurs. After that?

steelbtexan
06-14-2014, 10:52 AM

True

But is it impossible to break Teflon?

Seegara
06-14-2014, 08:55 PM

I was in favor of taking Robiinson #1 even if we couldn't trade down. Now we hear about the health conditions. Is Clowney going to be another one of those injury prone draft mistakes?

Bone spurs now, eh? Maybe CnD can tell us how serious it is.

infantrycak
06-14-2014, 08:57 PM
Bone spurs now, eh? Maybe CnD can tell us how serious it is.

We've been talking about it for months and CnD has described the ramifications several times.

Lambert
06-15-2014, 02:51 AM
Thankfully we have your awesome boyfriend Brooke Reed on defense so that's all we need!

The Ironduck speaks!

Uncle Rico
06-15-2014, 06:46 PM
Yeahhh, so my kids gave me a Clowney jersey for fathers day LOL ! Talk about ironic. Sooo get well soon #90