PDA

View Full Version : Hard knocks baby!!!

Pages : [1] 2

wolf123
06-12-2014, 11:37 AM
With the Falcons being picked that means we will get to see our beloved Texans on Hard knocks for the practices and the Pre-season Game!!:gamer:

TEXANS84
06-12-2014, 12:20 PM
With the Falcons being picked that means we will get to see our beloved Texans on Hard knocks for the practices and the Pre-season Game!!:gamer:

Just saw that as well, that should be interesting.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/12/falcons-selected-for-hbos-hard-knocks/

kingtexan
06-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Doubt BoB lets the cameras in very close to the Texans.

wolf123
06-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Doubt BoB lets the cameras in very close to the Texans.

Don't you try and steal my JOY!:cutthroat:

Playoffs
06-12-2014, 12:41 PM
AdamWexlerCSN ‏@awexler
The Tues. Aug 19 Hard Knocks episode (ep. 3) should feature the #Texans-#Falcons joint practices & 8/16 preseason game. @HBO

HOU-TEX
06-12-2014, 01:20 PM
I'm not going to expect much, if anything at all, considering they're coming here. I reckon we'd see a bit more if we went to Atl.

xtruroyaltyx
06-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Just seeing how their players respond to our players is going to be nice.

There's gotta be at least one fight right?

Would love to hear a player on the Falcons talk about how #?? is a beast or really any kind of insight.

Norg
06-12-2014, 07:49 PM
is dunta still with the falcons ..???

The Pencil Neck
06-12-2014, 10:33 PM
is dunta still with the falcons ..???

lol

:kubepalm:

beerlover
06-12-2014, 11:37 PM
HBO is still "under-rated" hard to believe with all the hype but it just is. :spit:

False Start
06-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Cool, I watch every year, but it will be especially interesting to see the Texans on there. :texflag:

wolf123
06-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Cool, I watch every year, but it will be especially interesting to see the Texans on there. :texflag:

Same!!! I love me some Hard Knocks:whip:

Playoffs
06-15-2014, 09:11 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/130014/dimitroff-all-on-board-with-hard-knocks
The Atlanta Falcons aren’t the only team that will have to be comfortable with an inordinate amount of cameras at training camp.

Part of the process of HBO’s "Hard Knocks" trailing the Falcons includes a trip to Houston, where the Falcons and Texans will hold a pair of joint practices (Aug. 13-14) leading up to their Aug. 16 preseason matchup.

The film crew won’t travel on the plane with the Falcons, but it will be inside Houston Methodist Training Center for the Falcons’ arrival.

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff thoroughly discussed the matter with the Texans.

"I’ve talked to the general manager, Rick Smith, and Smitty [Mike Smith] has talked to Coach [Bill] O’Brien, and they are comfortable with it," Dimitroff said. "[Hard Knocks] will not be showcasing the other team that we will be visiting. They’ll continue to focus on our team."
HBO debuts "Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Falcons" on Aug. 5.

Playoffs
08-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Thirty members of @NFLFilms crew will be shooting #Texans-#Falcons practices Wednesday and Thursday for @HBO's "Hard Knocks." #NFL

DX-TEX
08-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith

Guess BOB gonna have to choke someone.

b0ng
08-12-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm not going to lie, this season of hard knocks has seemed a little more boring than most. I'm just hoping the Texans don't make it even more boring. Anybody going to TC those two days?

Mr teX
08-12-2014, 12:12 PM
dont know what all fuss is about, hard knocks doesnt typically show much of the other team.......unless a skirmish or some other crap breaks out

xtruroyaltyx
08-12-2014, 12:54 PM
dont know what all fuss is about, hard knocks doesnt typically show much of the other team.......unless a skirmish or some other crap breaks out

Just that glimpse into one of those practices is exciting to me.

I want to see how some of our players match up with their guys as well...

They'll probably show Matthews vs Clowney at some point...

Talent appreciates talent. It's just no fun beating up on those who are far less talented than you are. Simple enough, no? And when those opportunities present themselves, you can't help but get excited. Such is the case for our young right tackle. Per the Falcons' Jay Adams, this week presents a unique opportunity for Jake Matthews.

He could see himself in matchups against Watt and draft-mate Clowney, and having the chance to measure himself this week is an opportunity he relishes: "Like I've said, I love the challenge of going against the best players. I want to see where I'm at. I want to see where I can improve. There's always going to be areas I can improve in so it's going to be a really good challenge for us up front."

Can you really blame him? It's perfectly natural to compare yourself to others. As humble as Matthews is, you'd better bet he wants to prove his worth.

More at link (http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/8/11/5993449/jake-matthews-looking-forward-to-opportunity-to-play-against-jj-watt)

b0ng
08-12-2014, 12:59 PM

They'll still show them practicing against the Texans, scuffle or no, since I doubt they are just going to cut off 2 days worth of footage. No, there won't be interviews of Texans players or any of that, but we will actually get to see something I've kind of wanted to see for a few years now: Texans on Hard Knocks. No, it's not a season of Hard Knocks, but one week is acceptable.

kiwitexansfan
08-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Just that glimpse into one of those practices is exciting to me.

I want to see how some of our players match up with their guys as well...

They'll probably show Matthews vs Clowney at some point...

More at link (http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/8/11/5993449/jake-matthews-looking-forward-to-opportunity-to-play-against-jj-watt)

IIRC from the highlights, Matthews struggled in his preseason debut.

He can't handle Clowney.

Tolar's Ghost
08-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Hard Knocks focuses very, very little on "the other team."

TV critique: After two episodes, this season's series is disappointing. It's pretty much Coach Smith repeating how "tough, but smart" the Falcons are going to be.

Smith seems like a nice guy. But he looks like he should be with Mike and Frank on American Pickers.

- William Moore might be a good DB. But his extremely expensive, extremely tacky house, indicates he could be the type of player who's broke a few years after his football career is over.

houstonspartan
08-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Hard Knocks focuses very, very little on "the other team."

TV critique: After two episodes, this season's series is disappointing. It's pretty much Coach Smith repeating how "tough, but smart" the Falcons are going to be.

Smith seems like a nice guy. But he looks like he should be with Mike and Frank on American Pickers.

- William Moore might be a good DB. But his extremely expensive, extremely tacky house, indicates he could be the type of player who's broke a few years after his football career is over.

Agree with this. Haven't been impressed by the first two episodes.

wolf123
08-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Agree with this. Haven't been impressed by the first two episodes.

First episode was bad. But the 2nd was a lot better. :gamer:

False Start
08-14-2014, 07:09 PM
The only things they showed of the Titans last week were the plays when the Falcons players were getting over on the Titans. I have a feeling it will be that way with the Texans too.

Texian
08-14-2014, 07:31 PM
The only things they showed of the Titans last week were the plays when the Falcons players were getting over on the Titans. I have a feeling it will be that way with the Texans too.

It's going to be about 97% Falcons.

xtruroyaltyx
08-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Texans have some good high profile players. I could see us getting a little more air time than the inbreds. But if we don't, oh well. I'll still be interested in seeing it.

False Start
08-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Texans have some good high profile players. I could see us getting a little more air time than the inbreds. But if we don't, oh well. I'll still be interested in seeing it.

Yep.

beerlover
08-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Guess 3% is better than nothing at all?

Frankly dear I don't give a damn, not watching any of it.

Lambert
08-16-2014, 02:50 AM
Matthews has trouble with Brooks Reed---lots of holding in his first game and in Atlanta/Texans practice. If he had "good and bad moments" Vs Reed, you only need one or two "Bad moments" a game to make you a failure.

fiasco west
08-17-2014, 05:02 AM

We'll see some highlights of the game, maybe they'll cut to the Clowney play and one of the Falcons players will say "Man he fast brah..." and you'll see some players saying "Good game" after it ends.

We may get a fight during the practice though, probably involving Swearinger...but then Coach Smith does disapprove of that sort of thing, all the fighting...well except for after the practice where he then tells the players they need to be tougher and that if they need to stick up for a fellow player than do so.

BullsOnParade
08-17-2014, 05:01 PM
should be fun to see what they include from the game

DocBar
08-18-2014, 05:48 PM
We'll see some highlights of the game, maybe they'll cut to the Clowney play and one of the Falcons players will say "Man he fast brah..." and you'll see some players saying "Good game" after it ends.

We may get a fight during the practice though, probably involving Swearinger...but then Coach Smith does disapprove of that sort of thing, all the fighting...well except for after the practice where he then tells the players they need to be tougher and that if they need to stick up for a fellow player than do so.That play in the game where JAG ( #90 ) slobberknockered Atlanta's stud ( :spit: ) RB and rung his bell til it broke? That highlight? Or the sack he had on the next play? You need to be specific with Clowney preseason highlight plays, dammit!!! :fingergun:

gtexan02
08-19-2014, 10:19 PM
Anyone see it?

Pollardized
08-19-2014, 10:22 PM
Anyone see it?

Yep. Texans got some air time. Swearinger talking much shit on the field. Lots of respect for JJ.

houstonspartan
08-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Anyone see it?

!@#!!! Forgot to set the DVR to record it. Left, came back, expecting to watch it, and it's not recorded.

Luckily the West Coast version is on in about 15 minutes, so I'll catch it then. So far, this has been a dull Hard Knocks. Frankly, the Falcons are a boring team.

False Start
08-20-2014, 01:18 AM
They actually made the Texans look really good. They gave them a lot more play than I thought they would. JJ got lots of love. The Falcons were happy that he wasn't active for the game, but then they discovered they had to account for Clowney, :littlelol:

Scooter
08-20-2014, 01:19 AM
the "baddest man on the planet" solo walkout that they did for JJ watt was pretty dang epic.

the slow motion behind the line shot of clowney's sack is ... i dont have a word, it's beyond description. clowney's moving past the left tackle before he can even turn his head at the snap. "shot out of a cannon" is taking a new meaning, this is ridiculous.

edit: and i'm getting a bit tired of swearinger's schtick. he's turning into cortland finnegan, without any of 'innegan's results.

False Start
08-20-2014, 01:59 AM
the "baddest man on the planet" solo walkout that they did for JJ watt was pretty dang epic.

the slow motion behind the line shot of clowney's sack is ... i dont have a word, it's beyond description. clowney's moving past the left tackle before he can even turn his head at the snap. "shot out of a cannon" is taking a new meaning, this is ridiculous.

edit: and i'm getting a bit tired of swearinger's schtick. he's turning into cortland finnegan, without any of 'innegan's results.

Yes it was... very cool (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-hard-knocks/0ap3000000380954/Hard-Knocks-J-J-Watt-is-a-monster)! :swatter:

Texn4life
08-20-2014, 04:05 AM
JJ Watt raped Matthews... Goodness he almost made him do a split. Watt is absolutely no joke at all. If I was Matthews I wouldn't feel bad at all, JJ Watt is on track for the HOF and NOBODY can block him one on one, but seeing his strength in those drills man... Dude is a direct descendant of the Football God.

This post on the Falcon forum kind of made me chuckle a little. Watt did have him on skates during the piece.

klockWork
08-20-2014, 07:22 AM
HBO portrayed Watt in such a scary cinematic manner I nearly pissed my pants but didn't because I'd remember he's on my team.

xtruroyaltyx
08-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Told y'all the texans would get some air time :)

klockWork
08-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Lol. JJ Watt had some nice things to say about Jake Mathews but referred to him as "little right tackle" 3 times to one of the coaches. Jake is 6'5 300lb. I guess thru JJ pov everyone is....
http://www.okmoviequotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Hulk-quotes.gif

HOU-TEX
08-20-2014, 08:58 AM
My dislike for Swearinger grew a little more last night. It'd be different if his performer came anywhere close to the amount of BS he spews....But it doesn't! He's hurt this team more than helped it since he got here.

He even had coach Smith make a comment about his lip.

I hope he eventually gets it, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

nero THE zero
08-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Yep, they made Swearinger look at bad as they made Watt look good. And, they made Watt look really, really good (which I suppose doesn't take much effort).

Playoffs
08-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Bruce Matthews is no ordinary Dad, he's a Hall Of Fame tackle.

But like all Dads, he worries. Today, he has good reason:

https://twitter.com/nfl/status/501945487579033600

:texflag:

Edit: Single view token invalidated, probably because of embedded add. Video is in the above tweet link.

Also here: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-hard-knocks/0ap3000000380954/Hard-Knocks-J-J-Watt-is-a-monster

Carr Bombed
08-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Bruce Matthews is no ordinary Dad, he's a Hall Of Fame tackle.

But like all Dads, he worries. Today, he has good reason:

http://media.snappytv.com/video/magnum/importasset/9602/clip/928000.mp4?token=1408546822_b7bbf450be99b43eeb907b ccec91bd8e

:texflag:

Link isn't working for me, but it could just be my phone.

xtruroyaltyx
08-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Falcons fan:

That episode showed how big of an *** clown the falcons really are. First 22min we clowned around all up until JJ Watt came out with a knees brace on his arm squirting an a water bottle looking like a robotic version of triple H. He chocked out the guy who we call a freak. While our 3 receivers joked about not being able to be stopped. Harry got into it with #36 so 36 punked him out and dam near killed Julio in the game. All that with a blowout final score. We are not that guy! Not the tough one. It's just not our head coach so it's not who we are.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4008967-falcons-on-hard-knocksgetting-lame/page__st__40

nero THE zero
08-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Falcons fan:

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4008967-falcons-on-hard-knocksgetting-lame/page__st__40

Ugh. "That fan" is the worst.

cstyle42
08-20-2014, 11:21 AM
JJ Watt is a freaking monster unfreakinbelievable Jake Matthews has nothing to be ashamed about.

Blake
08-20-2014, 01:20 PM
I loved it. Texans got more air time than I thought they would. JJ Watt looked scary as shit with his introduction. Schooled Matthews and then said he would be a good little tackle someday. They made Clowney look awesome with his pair of plays, and DJ talked a lot of shit, but at least DJ didn't retaliate when Harry Douglas took a swing at him. Then DJ lit up Julio to end the starters segment. A lot about Yates coming back to Houston, he looked like poo in the game.

I do agree with others that Mike Smith keeps talking about how they are tough, but it just isnt working. He has this really nice grandpa look to him. And his players obviously arent buying that they are tough because the Texans just knocked the snot out of them.

Playoffs
08-20-2014, 01:37 PM
I need to find someplace to watch Texans episode.

Not buying HBO just for one hour.

I wonder if anyone is posting them on YouTube behind "hidden"/private links?

houstonspartan
08-20-2014, 02:50 PM

What's your cable provider? Call them up, tell them you're thinking about adding HBO, and ask if they can give you a free trial of a month or two. They most likely will say yes.

houstonspartan
08-20-2014, 02:51 PM
I do agree with others that Mike Smith keeps talking about how they are tough, but it just isnt working. He has this really nice grandpa look to him. And his players obviously arent buying that they are tough because the Texans just knocked the snot out of them.

The Falcons remind me of the Texans under Kubiak a few years ago: milquetoast coach, some talent on the team, but, all talk.

The sad thing is, I'd take their QB in a heart beat...

infantrycak
08-20-2014, 02:55 PM
The Falcons remind me of the Texans under Kubiak a few years ago: milquetoast coach, some talent on the team, but, all talk.

The sad thing is, I'd take their QB in a heart beat...

For the love of all that is holy, being boring at a press conference doesn't mean someone has the same demeanor as a coach. Kubiak by all reports from the team and insiders was no milquetoast at all.

houstonspartan
08-20-2014, 03:01 PM
For the love of all that is holy, being boring at a press conference doesn't mean someone has the same demeanor as a coach. Kubiak by all reports from the team and insiders was no milquetoast at all.

I never said anything about Kubiak's press conferences. Nor about his not looking at field goals. Nor about any other trivial things people have held against Kubiak.

What I am saying, is that his message stopped getting through; and it appears that, on the surface, the same thing is going on with the Falcons. No, I do not work for the Falcons, and do not know what's going on, or what Mike Smith is like. I am saying, however, that based on what they've shown, Smith reminds me of Kubiak. That is all.

Clear enough? Sorry to offend you by calling out Kubiak.

infantrycak
08-20-2014, 03:13 PM
I never said anything about Kubiak's press conferences. Nor about his not looking at field goals. Nor about any other trivial things people have held against Kubiak.

What I am saying, is that his message stopped getting through; and it appears that, on the surface, the same thing is going on with the Falcons. No, I do not work for the Falcons, and do not know what's going on, or what Mike Smith is like. I am saying, however, that based on what they've shown, Smith reminds me of Kubiak. That is all.

Clear enough? Sorry to offend you by calling out Kubiak.

You didn't offend me in the least.

The point is what the public sees of a coach and how he is around the players is often very different and that was the case with Kubiak. Not the same situation with Smith where you are getting a look at his coaching persona.

Vance87
08-20-2014, 03:15 PM
HBO portrayed Watt in such a scary cinematic manner I nearly pissed my pants but didn't because I'd remember he's on my team.

I wouldn't even want to be the guy holding the football pretending to be the QB...

gtexan02
08-20-2014, 03:18 PM
You didn't offend me in the least.

The point is what the public sees of a coach and how he is around the players is often very different and that was the case with Kubiak. Not the same situation with Smith where you are getting a look at his coaching persona.

We've been told by the players themselves how different O'Brien is than Kubiak, both on the field and off. I'm sure Kubiak got upset at times - that doesn't make him a tough guy or intense head coach

infantrycak
08-20-2014, 03:27 PM
We've been told by the players themselves how different O'Brien is than Kubiak, both on the field and off. I'm sure Kubiak got upset at times - that doesn't make him a tough guy or intense head coach

Have you ever heard a single player in all your NFL observation describe a new HC as anything like a fired HC?

xtruroyaltyx
08-20-2014, 03:39 PM
O’Brien can also be intense. For a team that was often too soft in recent seasons and was plagued by poor execution in 2013, having a fiery, loud coach has initially shaken up the Texans.

“It’s something that was needed around this place,” Johnson said.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/07/andre-johnson-says-texans-need-bill-obriens-loud-fire/#25408101=0

Seems Dre is implying that it wasn't something they had before.

Personally, I don't care about a coach's demeanor.

Is he a good head coach or not? In Kubiak's case, my opinion is no. Great offensive mind. Not a good head coach. JMO.

Double Barrel
08-20-2014, 03:46 PM
I don't know about demeanor, but Kubiak's gameplans and inability to make meaningful adjustments is the definition of "milquetoast (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/milquetoast)": timid, meek, or unassertive.

His team's personae was often milquetoas (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/milquetoast)t against superior teams (i.e. "especially one who is easily dominated or intimidated"). It is often said that teams take on the personae of their head coach, and their dismal record against winning teams for 8 years says it all.

houstonspartan
08-20-2014, 04:17 PM
I don't know about demeanor, but Kubiak's gameplans and inability to make meaningful adjustments is the definition of "milquetoast (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/milquetoast)": timid, meek, or unassertive.

His team's personae was often milquetoas (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/milquetoast)t against superior teams (i.e. "especially one who is easily dominated or intimidated"). It is often said that teams take on the personae of their head coach, and their dismal record against winning teams for 8 years says it all.

One of the most amazing things about this team over the last 8 years is how, when faced with a strong opponent or big stage (Sunday Night, Monday Night, Thursday Night) this team completely and utterly folded. It was truly amazing to watch.

Honoring Earl 34
08-20-2014, 04:21 PM
One of the most amazing things about this team over the last 8 years is how, when faced with a strong opponent or big stage (Sunday Night, Monday Night, Thursday Night) this team completely and utterly folded. It was truly amazing to watch.

They came apart like a cheap rug .

drs23
08-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Anyone else have the sneaking suspicion/feeling that the Texans get tagged for Hard Knocks next season since the league is force feeding it? We've never been on, won't have the "first year head coach" out and if we have a decent showing this season, I see us as being a prime candidate.

I wouldn't mind seeing what they "kinda" look like behind closed doors.

houstonspartan
08-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Anyone else have the sneaking suspicion/feeling that the Texans get tagged for Hard Knocks next season since the league is force feeding it? We've never been on, won't have the "first year head coach" out and if we have a decent showing this season, I see us as being a prime candidate.

I wouldn't mind seeing what they "kinda" look like behind closed doors.

Ha! Last night, while in the middle of watching, the following thought randomly jumped into my head: we're next.

Yep, our turn is coming. We're the newest team in the NFL, and no one knows about us, behind the scenes. And, next year we'll still be in "development" mode, trying to figure out the QB situation, etc.

We're next.

DocBar
08-20-2014, 05:35 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing what they "kinda" look like behind closed doors.Could happen, but I would expect major lobbying/incentives added. Houston gets a Super Bowl if they do it or extra prime time games. Oddly enough, Mr. McNair will have a huge say in this and might just give it a go for the extra media coverage. Especially if the Texan's rebound this year to a decent record. 6+ wins, I'm all in. LOL

Scooter
08-20-2014, 05:37 PM
haven't the texans turned down hard knocks a time or two already?

DocBar
08-20-2014, 05:38 PM
haven't the texans turned down hard knocks a time or two already?Under Kubiak, iirc.

houstonspartan
08-20-2014, 06:01 PM
Could happen, but I would expect major lobbying/incentives added. Houston gets a Super Bowl if they do it or extra prime time games. Oddly enough, Mr. McNair will have a huge say in this and might just give it a go for the extra media coverage. Especially if the Texan's rebound this year to a decent record. 6+ wins, I'm all in. LOL

We are already getting a Super Bowl.

houstonspartan
08-20-2014, 06:02 PM
Under Kubiak, iirc.

Yep. Kubiak said no.

drs23
08-20-2014, 06:40 PM
haven't the texans turned down hard knocks a time or two already?

As stated, yes, under Kubiak.

It's no longer an option.

If there are no volunteers then the league will "volunteer" for you.

I think it'll be us.*

Four paragraphs in memory of GP. :kitten:

Ryan
08-20-2014, 06:42 PM

I think it'll be us.*

We're immune from being volunteered if we have been to the playoffs within the last two years, so we are eligible if we do not get in this year.

Pollardized
08-20-2014, 07:35 PM

I think it'll be us.*

What happened to that dude?

houstonspartan
08-20-2014, 09:21 PM

I think it'll be us.*

Yep. We are next.

cstyle42
08-20-2014, 10:55 PM

http://m.firedrive.com/file/9B2621815342FFBA

Texans portion of Hard Knocks starts at about the 27:00 mark.

TEXANRED
08-20-2014, 11:33 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/07/andre-johnson-says-texans-need-bill-obriens-loud-fire/#25408101=0

Seems Dre is implying that it wasn't something they had before.

Personally, I don't care about a coach's demeanor.

Is he a good head coach or not? In Kubiak's case, my opinion is no. Great offensive mind. Not a good head coach. JMO.

Kubiak is the next Norv Turner.

Vinnie
08-20-2014, 11:41 PM
http://m.firedrive.com/file/9B2621815342FFBA

Texans portion of Hard Knocks starts at about the 27:00 mark.

My computer feels very unclean after clicking that link.

False Start
08-21-2014, 12:55 AM
Link isn't working for me, but it could just be my phone.

This one works that I had posted before in this post:

Yes it was... very cool (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-hard-knocks/0ap3000000380954/Hard-Knocks-J-J-Watt-is-a-monster)! :swatter:

xtruroyaltyx
08-21-2014, 09:51 AM
I liked the episode...Didn't have any problem with Swearinger either...

In fact I LOVED it..

HOU-TEX
08-21-2014, 10:42 AM
I liked the episode...Didn't have any problem with Swearinger either...

In fact I LOVED it..

So, I guess you don't have a problem with him getting the 15 yard flags? Causing his defense to stay on the field?

Eh, the dude's mouth writes checks that his play can't cash imo.

xtruroyaltyx
08-21-2014, 10:53 AM
So, I guess you don't have a problem with him getting the 15 yard flags? Causing his defense to stay on the field?

Eh, the dude's mouth writes checks that his play can't cash imo.

His mouth didn't get him any penalty flags.

And I like him as a player and think he will be good this year. That aside, he was all in the Falcons players heads.

He had Douglas taking a swing at him in practice. Roddy White and Julio dropping passes. They were so consumed with him they were even on the sideline talking about him. And then he comes up and makes the big hit on Julio and almost came up with a pick on another play.

No, I don't have any issue with having a firecracker back there on the back end. Ultimately, his play on the field is what will keep him on the field, but if he can turn into a good player, then I welcome that attitude. He's not backing down from anyone and he's going to have his teammates backs and he's going to be hated by opponents. I LOVE it.

Football matters a lot to him. Fans clamor for players with passion and ferocity all the time. Dude likes to play football, hit people, beat down opponents and talk shit. He provides an edge that football teams need.

You should go over to the Falcons board and here them talking about how Swearinger punked their soft team and how they wished they had a guy like him.

disaacks3
08-21-2014, 11:17 AM
His mouth didn't get him any penalty flags. It definitely did last year. Taunting calls are all about his mouth.

HOU-TEX
08-21-2014, 11:19 AM

And I like him as a player and think he will be good this year. That aside, he was all in the Falcons players heads.

He had Douglas taking a swing at him in practice. Roddy White and Julio dropping passes. They were so consumed with him they were even on the sideline talking about him. And then he comes up and makes the big hit on Julio and almost came up with a pick on another play.

No, I don't have any issue with having a firecracker back there on the back end. Ultimately, his play on the field is what will keep him on the field, but if he can turn into a good player, then I welcome that attitude. He's not backing down from anyone and he's going to have his teammates backs and he's going to be hated by opponents. I LOVE it.

Football matters a lot to him. Fans clamor for players with passion and ferocity all the time. Dude likes to play football, hit people, beat down opponents and talk shit. He provides an edge that football teams need.

You should go over to the Falcons board and here them talking about how Swearinger punked their soft team and how they wished they had a guy like him.

He accounted for his fair share of dumb penalties as a rookie last year. Given he's a year in, I'd assume we'll see more of the same.

I'm all for that firecracker you're talking about. It's a matter of being smart about it. Taunting after a hit is not being smart. Doing a useless celebration with a teammate after a play is not smart. I'm totally for ferocity, especially on defense. Heck, Deion Sanders trash talked more than anyone I've seen and rarely cost him team by being dumb. Until Rison came along lol

I'm hoping he'll learn the limits and get right. More importantly, I'm hoping his coverage skills catch up to the mouth

xtruroyaltyx
08-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Swearinger had 4 penalties last year:

1 face mask
1 defensive holding
1 taunting
1 unnecessary roughness

http://www.nflpenalties.com/all-players.php

The flag he got for taunting was in the Jacksonville game right before Kubiak got fired. Antonio Smith used to be involved in a lot of things too.

Go look at some of the penalties by players. Swearinger wasn't even close to being a flag magnet for this team. That's one flag every 4 games.

Duane Brown had 7 penalties with one being a personal foul and one for taunting.

I can't convince anyone to like Swearinger and that's not what I'm trying to do. All I did was write why I do like him. And if he doesn't live up to what I expect of him with his play, then I'll sour on him as a player...but not because of his talking and histrionics.

xtruroyaltyx
08-21-2014, 12:14 PM
It definitely did last year. Taunting calls are all about his mouth.

Taunting

Definition

A form of unsportsmanlike conduct. Includes any "prolonged and premeditated celebrations" by players including those that use props such as the end zone pylon in a touchdown celebration.

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/dj-swearinger-hips.jpg

I don't think it was his mouth. I think it was him getting in the guys face and being all demonstrative. He pointed the guy towards the sideline as well.

Playoffs
08-21-2014, 12:53 PM

It's all about punkness, punkosity, and depunking yourself...

#Broncos' Rahim Moore: "This just shows you that the #Texans, they’re not going to back down. They’re no punks and neither are we." #NFL

klockWork
08-21-2014, 12:54 PM
I love Swearinger. I think he's gonna be a helluva player. Yeah he miss alot of tackle. But that also shows he has the instinct and talent to get to the area of plays. That's much harder to teach than tackle.

And his mouth. I kind of like it. My friend who's a Falcons fan, is Roddy White biggest fan. He watched Hard knocks with me and saw Roddy on the bench expressed frustration by #36, something he never saw anybody did in all the years he watched the Falcons game. He said to me, "Man, my boy Rod, getting own by the one thing he's always been good at, and that's talking. I always thought his speed would decline first, not his mouth."

houstonspartan
08-21-2014, 01:12 PM
I love Swearinger. I think he's gonna be a helluva player. Yeah he miss alot of tackle. But that also shows he has the instinct and talent to get to the area of plays. That's much harder to teach than tackle.

And his mouth. I kind of like it. My friend who's a Falcons fan, is Roddy White biggest fan. He watched Hard knocks with me and saw Roddy on the bench expressed frustration by #36, something he never saw anybody did in all the years he watched the Falcons game. He said to me, "Man, my boy Rod, getting own by the one thing he's always been good at, and that's talking. I always thought his speed would decline first, not his mouth."

I like Swearinger. Yes his penalties last year got on my nerves, but, a lot of that is on the coaches. He should have been benched in that second Jax game. He was a mess. But, that's ok, because the next day, McNair "benched" the head coach - for good.

Vance87
08-21-2014, 01:20 PM
I don't mind DJ talking, but he's gotta back it up. You can tell he's extremely passionate about the game, he's constantly trying to fire up the guys on the team.

Vinny
08-21-2014, 01:20 PM
I'd like Swearinger better if he played as well as he talked.

HOU-TEX
08-21-2014, 01:29 PM

^This^

I guess I coulda made it easier on myself with a 1 liner lol.

gtexan02
08-21-2014, 02:30 PM

Best quote of the show was from a Falcon's player to the effect of: He talks a lot but he doesn't make any plays

I loved the episode. Really enjoyed seeing the personal side of the NFL. I felt terrible for Baker after seeing him go down with that patellar tendon tear and am cheering for the Dutch kid to make the team

cstyle42
08-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Best quote of the show was from a Falcon's player to the effect of: He talks a lot but he doesn't make any plays

I loved the episode. Really enjoyed seeing the personal side of the NFL. I felt terrible for Baker after seeing him go down with that patellar tendon tear and am cheering for the Dutch kid to make the team

Lol isn't this his 2nd year in the league? Give the man some time to prove himself.

klockWork
08-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Here's links to watch last episode

http://download1477.mediafire.com/hbw8bkhid7tg/bhac8mur01t9ye7/H.Knocks%2520S09E03.mp4

alternative links

http://crixxic.noip.me/H.Knocks%20S09E03.mp4

DocBar
08-21-2014, 03:02 PM
I'd like Swearinger better if he played as well as he talked.Gawd...he would be voted into the HOF before he even retired! :toropalm:

Originally Posted by cstyle42
Lol isn't this his 2nd year in the league? Give the man some time to prove himself. Maybe he should give himself to prove himself before flapping his gums all the time? That kind of stuff works both ways.

cstyle42
08-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Gawd...he would be voted into the HOF before he even retired! :toropalm:

Maybe he should give himself to prove himself before flapping his gums all the time? That kind of stuff works both ways.

Talking trash goes both ways too dude it's football everyone doesn't play without talking back or generally talking. Different personalities are okay as long as everyone has each others back and are operating as one team.

fiasco west
08-21-2014, 06:12 PM
I loved it. Texans got more air time than I thought they would. JJ Watt looked scary as shit with his introduction. Schooled Matthews and then said he would be a good little tackle someday. They made Clowney look awesome with his pair of plays, and DJ talked a lot of shit, but at least DJ didn't retaliate when Harry Douglas took a swing at him. Then DJ lit up Julio to end the starters segment. A lot about Yates coming back to Houston, he looked like poo in the game.

LOL

That really stood out to me. He dominated him and all he had to say about it was "You have a good little player, he going to be a good little tackle someday" he used the word little I'm sure like three times.

It's great to have a player that other players respect and fear that much and that intro was something out of a movie.

Nawzer
08-21-2014, 10:51 PM
Loved JJ Watt's entrance. It was badass.

JCTexan
08-22-2014, 12:00 AM
I just watched the episode. One thing I noticed was Mike Tice & the commentator both said Watt didn't play. I was pretty sure he played the first series and had a sack..

klockWork
08-22-2014, 12:07 AM
I just watched the episode. One thing I noticed was Mike Tice & the commentator both said Watt didn't play. I was pretty sure he played the first series and had a sack..
Ah, no. JJ sat out. I'm pretty sure of that.

Texn4life
08-22-2014, 12:10 AM

You're probably thinking of the Arizona disaster. Watt didn't play against the Falcons.

Vance87
08-22-2014, 12:25 AM

NC, you're outta your element.

The Pencil Neck
08-22-2014, 01:14 AM

You're thinking of the Cardinals.

He didn't play at all in the Falcon game.

False Start
08-22-2014, 01:23 PM

The relief they expressed cracked me up. :littlelol:

TheIronDuke
08-22-2014, 02:09 PM
From the episode where they make JJ look like a WWE wrestler walking out to the ring.

http://giant.gfycat.com/BriefInsidiousGnu.gif

NCTexan
08-22-2014, 02:20 PM
NC, you're outta your element.

Woah woah woah man.

JC, NC, completely different.

:kitten:

disaacks3
08-22-2014, 02:31 PM
I don't think it was his mouth. I think it was him getting in the guys face and being all demonstrative. He pointed the guy towards the sideline as well.

In his case, he was just saying, ‘Get back on the bench. Get back on the bench.’ They threw the flag on him.” Link (http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/swearinger-given-talking-about-penalty) Yep, that's his mouth.

Don't get me wrong, I like a player with a chip on their shoulder that plays with attitude. I liked the Swearinger pick when the Texans made it and still do. I'm just honest about the downside in today's NFL. Deion talked a lot too, but he had better talent to back it up. But in the "modern" NFL, Deion would be getting 3x as many flags as well.

xtruroyaltyx
08-22-2014, 02:33 PM
Link (http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/swearinger-given-talking-about-penalty) Yep, that's his mouth.

I disagree.

Like I said...He was also standing there being demonstrative.

Get back on the bench is not something in and of itself that you'd see a flag thrown for IMO.

Players talk mess to each other all the time. Get back on the bench is pretty tame.

If you go back and watch it, Swearinger was standing there in the players face pointing and making gestures.

If you watch the hardknocks episode, Swearinger was talking mess and when the WR swung on him in practice, the Falcons coaches chastised their own player and said he was wrong in the whole thing. He said they had been talking back and forth all practice, but their guy decided to swing. He said to the head coach "Harry was wrong" like 3 or 4 times.

Talking on the football field is nothing. Lots of players talk ALL THE TIME. Get back to the bench is nothing. Running over to opponents and being extra demonstrative is.

Swearinger isn't the only one out there running his mouth. You would never know he was running his mouth as much if he wasn't showing it all the time...

You think Andre doesn't talk? Duane Brown? Cushing?

Have you played football? guys are always talking mess on the field. Not everyone. But A LOT of them are.

"We finna **** yall bitches...No Jelly!!!"

"Is that your T-lady in the stands calling your name? I'm going to **** her good after we **** ya'll...****ing twice in one night!!!"

"you can't ****ing stop me bro...You are too ****ing weak *****!!!"

"Get back to the sideline!!!!"

LOL...ok...

klockWork
08-22-2014, 02:58 PM
From the episode where they make JJ look like a WWE wrestler walking out to the ring

From the Falcons point of view it probably looked more like this
http://media1.giphy.com/media/12Jbd9dZVochsQ/200.gif

Vance87
08-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Woah woah woah man.

JC, NC, completely different.

:kitten:

I guess I'm out of MY element. :headhurts:

thunderkyss
08-22-2014, 04:03 PM
My dislike for Swearinger grew a little more last night. It'd be different if his performer came anywhere close to the amount of BS he spews....

I watched several games last weekend, & the weekend before. I saw several people celebrating their plays a lot more than what Dj did when he got flagged. But, like you, I think the flag he got was a cumulative douchery type foul.

He had that hit on Julio Jones, where he stood over him saying something.. then he struck that pose. Then of course the play where he was flagged.

It's like that one guy said, "He's saying a lot, but he ain't making no plays."

I think the refs got tired of it & saw an opportunity. He'll most likely have a target on his back, from the refs, all season.

JCTexan
08-22-2014, 04:57 PM
You're probably thinking of the Arizona disaster. Watt didn't play against the Falcons.

You're thinking of the Cardinals.

He didn't play at all in the Falcon game.

Yeah, I must have been thinking about the one vs. Arizona.

klockWork
08-22-2014, 05:02 PM
It's like that one guy said, "He's saying a lot, but he ain't making no plays."

Roddy White is just sour that he let DJ broke into his head. Players jawing at each other will never say anything complimentary toward each other.

Trashing talking is just another tool in the game of any sports. If DJ played the game with duct tape over his mouth I guarantee you he won't last long in this league. Besides getting into an opposing player head it also serves as a stimulus, pumping himself up and teammates. And it also makes the game fun!

xtruroyaltyx
08-22-2014, 05:03 PM
He had that hit on Julio Jones, where he stood over him saying something.. then he struck that pose. Then of course the play where he was flagged.

I think that was the play he got flagged on.

And the Flag was for the synchronized handshake celebration I think. I don't think you can have any planned things like that.

ThaShark316
08-22-2014, 06:34 PM
From the episode where they make JJ look like a WWE wrestler walking out to the ring.

That's the kind of intro I need on my honeymoon, if I were to get married. "That's right, white woman, you're in trouble."

Scooter
08-22-2014, 09:06 PM

all that's missing is jim ross going ballistic "HE'S HERE!!!"

Carr Bombed
08-22-2014, 11:20 PM

And kick ass entrance music. BTW, what should that song be?

I LOL'ed at that one Falcon Fan's comment.. "He looks like Tripple H with a knee brace on his arm".

The look on HOFer Bruce Matthews' face was priceless.. Even he knew his son was getting manhandled, it was almost like he wanted to throw in a towel.

I know it was only practice, but that had to be Jake Matthew's "welcome to the NFL" moment.

Scooter
08-23-2014, 12:01 AM
And kick ass entrance music. BTW, what should that song be?

I LOL'ed at that one Falcon Fan's comment.. "He looks like Tripple H with a knee brace on his arm".

The look on HOFer Bruce Matthews' face was priceless.. Even he knew his son was getting manhandled, it was almost like he wanted to throw in a towel.

I know it was only practice, but that had to be Jake Matthew's "welcome to the NFL" moment.

the music that hard knocks used works for me - subtle and dangerous - it just needs to be cranked up.

lol i was just thinking of posting the knee brace comment, that was perfect. i was all for drafting matthews, that poor kid's eyes near popped out of his head in those drills though. and kudos to hard knocks, you really get to see the violence of those impacts that watt generates in a single step - i would be on life support with multiple broken bones and contusions with the first hit. the way they made watt and clowney look was epic all around. tice jokes "sorry, 99's not playing" ... lineman asks "what about 90?" and tice's face drops "ummm you got this" lol.

steelbtexan
08-23-2014, 09:43 AM

Awsome Gif

Repped

False Start
08-23-2014, 01:35 PM

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/xdkR0S7.png

"IT'S JJ WATT! IT'S JJ WATT! IT'S JJ WATT! BUSINESS IS ABOUT TO PICK UP FOLKS! BAH GAWD!!! CARNAGE!"

:littlelol: :cool:

Scooter
08-23-2014, 04:56 PM
yes! lol

Playoffs
01-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Richard Deitsch @richarddeitsch
Teams Eligible for Hard Knocks if no Team volunteers...

NYG, Wash, Vikings, Bucs, Rams, Browns, Texans, Jaguars, Titans

Thorn
01-05-2015, 08:33 AM
No. Just no. No. No. No.

Corrosion
01-05-2015, 08:36 AM
No. Just no. No. No. No.

Man I want to see this train wreck .... Would be interesting to see the QB issue up close.

nero THE zero
01-05-2015, 08:37 AM
I would absolutely love to see the Texans on Hard Knocks. Doubt it happens, though.

Thorn
01-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Man I want to see this train wreck .... Would be interesting to see the QB issue up close.

LOL. It'd be like discovering yourself in the middle of the mall in your underwear, but it's not a dream.

infantrycak
01-05-2015, 09:49 AM

Selfishly I'd like to have the insight into the team, but for the team I want them to avoid it until forced by the NFL.

MistaRed
01-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Out of all those teams listed that could be forced to doing it, Texans are the best team but the Browns would have the most intrigue due to Johnny foozball. Bucs could be in the mix too especially if they pick Mariota.

speedfreek
01-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Might as well. I'd like to see just how much of a hardass
BoB really is. Somehow I don't think his public persona is the
same as his locker room persona..

nero THE zero
01-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Out of all those teams listed that could be forced to doing it, Texans are the best team but the Browns would have the most intrigue due to Johnny foozball. Bucs could be in the mix too especially if they pick Mariota.

NYG would be pretty good as well.

ObsiWan
01-05-2015, 10:35 AM

I would absolutely love to see the Texans on Hard Knocks. Doubt it happens, though.

I cannot see O'Brien permitting anyone, let alone the TV viewing public, peek behind his curtain.
It would have to be a mandate from the league office.

Kgbmedic
01-05-2015, 10:45 AM
I am of two thoughts on this one. While I would like to get a peek behind the scenes. I don't want the distraction that Hard Knocks causes. The team needs to be fully committed to the game instead of playing for the camera.

Playoffs
01-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Hopefully Johnny Money Football saves us... how can the NFL not go for that circus?

ObsiWan
01-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Hopefully Johnny Money Football saves us... how can the NFL not go for that circus?

yeah.... Yeah!
Cleveland would make much better drama TV...
Josh Pothead and JFF! What's not to watch?

Double Barrel
01-05-2015, 01:23 PM
What would the NFL do if a team straight up said "no"?

Please keep this huge distraction away from our Texans as they try to build this thing into a good football team.

JB
01-05-2015, 01:25 PM

Please keep this huge distraction away from our Texans as they try to build this thing into a good football team.

Didn't they come out a couple years ago and say that if no one volunteered then a team would be assigned?

Speedy
01-05-2015, 01:26 PM

I'm assuming playoff teams and teams that have already been on are not eligible?

Double Barrel
01-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Didn't they come out a couple years ago and say that if no one volunteered then a team would be assigned?

yeah, and that's why I was wondering what the NFL would do if a team assigned to this show said "no" to it all.

Fine 'em? McNair's got deep pockets. Maybe lose a draft pick? idonno:

infantrycak
01-05-2015, 01:34 PM

Yes, the list provided up thread are the teams who under the owners' agreement would be eligible for forced participation if no team volunteers.

DB - my bet is some sort of sanction. McNair wouldn't push that I don't think.

JB
01-05-2015, 01:36 PM
yeah, and that's why I was wondering what the NFL would do if a team assigned to this show said "no" to it all.

yeah I'm thinking they would lose a draft pick or two

Thorn
01-05-2015, 05:01 PM
OK, is it actually true the NFL can actually assign a team to this shit, and they have to do it? Bullshit on that. States rights, franchise rights, don't make a shit to me they both are good things.

If the Texans organization don't want to do it, and the NFL makes them, what are you going to think then?

The Pencil Neck
01-05-2015, 05:02 PM
yeah I'm thinking they would lose a draft pick or two

Or you're forced to fire your GM.

Oh.

Hey.

:thinking:

nero THE zero
01-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Yes, the list provided up thread are the teams who under the owners' agreement would be eligible for forced participation if no team volunteers.

McNair openly lobbied for Hard Knocks the year it was awarded to the Jets.

He most definitely wouldn't push it.

xtruroyaltyx
01-05-2015, 06:25 PM
I hope it's us.

ObsiWan
01-05-2015, 06:55 PM

Can someone please explain why this is quasi-mandatory??
It's not even good TV
...but then I've never been a fan of reality TV shows

JB
01-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Can someone please explain why this is quasi-mandatory??
It's not even good TV
...but then I've never been a fan of reality TV shows

Mo Money

Carr Bombed
01-05-2015, 07:01 PM
If no team volunteers you can bet your bottom dollar they'll give it to the NY media market.. If I'm in the Texans organization I wouldn't worry about it.

ObsiWan
01-05-2015, 07:06 PM
here's an idea...
how about they do a reality series on what Goodell knew, and when he knew it, during that whole the Ray Rice fiasco
How about that Rog?
Maybe we'll get to watch the Owners ask you to turn in your playbook. Now I'd watch that.

Norg
01-05-2015, 07:12 PM
is it one team or two teams ..????

anyway this year I would like to see

NFC Greenbay

AFC Patriots or Texans

MistaRed
01-05-2015, 07:14 PM
Only one team a year.

Sigma
01-05-2015, 11:36 PM
is it one team or two teams ..????

anyway this year I would like to see

NFC Greenbay

AFC Patriots or Texans

I highly doubt greenbay or new england are going to volunteer, and I don't think playoff teams can be forced to do it

steelbtexan
01-05-2015, 11:53 PM

McNair aint giving up a dime.

LOL, that you think this could be possible. Billionaires don't get that way doing things like this.

infantrycak
01-06-2015, 12:10 AM

LOL, that you think this could be possible. Billionaires don't get that way doing things like this.

They don't get there by being cheapskates who never take risks and don't care about winning either but that doesn't stop your storyline.

ChampionTexan
01-06-2015, 12:11 AM

The idea of "compelling" a team to do this was voted on and approved by the owners, so with Al Davis gone, the idea of any of them straight up saying no is likely pretty remote.

Essentially, it came about when they had to use the Bengals for a second time in 2013 because they (whoever "they" are) couldn't get anyone else to agree to do it.

There are three categories of exemption:

Any team that has made the playoffs in the previous two seasons (So if we're forced this season, we can blame it on Cleveland)

Any team with a first year head coach

Any team appearing on Hard Knocks in the previous 10 seasons

Trap_Star
01-06-2015, 12:20 AM
it's going to be cleveland.

they're going to bank on people wanting to tune in to see what manziel is up to.

steelbtexan
01-06-2015, 12:57 AM
They don't get there by being cheapskates who never take risks and don't care about winning either but that doesn't stop your storyline.

Agreed about the risk taking thingy.

Winning? What's that?

JB
01-06-2015, 12:59 AM
Agreed about the risk taking thingy.

Winning? What's that?

what everyone wants but only one knows how to get

Malloy
01-06-2015, 03:39 AM
yeah.... Yeah!
Cleveland would make much better drama TV...
Josh Pothead and JFF! What's not to watch?

They could name it The Cleveland Sho... wait a minute... ?

TejasTom
01-06-2015, 06:31 AM
yeah I'm thinking they would lose a draft pick or 2.

Or you're forced to fire your GM....

We already lose a draft pick or two or three with this GM. Usually a third and fourth rounder. :turtle:

markn
01-06-2015, 08:48 AM
As others have mentioned it looks like the two biggest attractions are JJ Watt and Manziel. Based on the viewing habits of the US television audience I think train-wreck wins over professionalism.

For that reason I predict it will be Cleveland.

On a selfish level, I'd like to see us featured, but I doubt it's good for the team.

steelbtexan
01-06-2015, 09:06 AM
what everyone wants but only one knows how to get

Who is this ONE you speak of. I do believe there's a higher power. Lets hire him on ASAP. LOL

Double Barrel
01-06-2015, 10:05 AM

McNair can spend money when he wants to. He fired a head coach with a year left on his contract, so it's not like the bottom line is the only factor in his decisions (I know, contrary to your oft-stated assumptions).

I could see McNair being on board with the show. It's another great marketing opportunity.

I just don't see O'Brien being on board with it. It is too disruptive to football operations and has the potential of revealing things that he does not want to be revealed.

I side with the head coach. Football first.

infantrycak
01-06-2015, 10:11 AM

And I think the evidence is McNair does too. He has both opposed and favored the Texans being on Hard Knocks in the past. Good guess would be based on what the coach thought.

Double Barrel
01-06-2015, 10:28 AM
And I think the evidence is McNair does too. He has both opposed and favored the Texans being on Hard Knocks in the past. Good guess would be based on what the coach thought.

Yep, I agree. Which is why I asked the initial question with regards to how far would McNair go to honor his head coach's thoughts on it.

I personally think McNair always wants what is best for his franchise, first in terms of football operations and then in terms of positive media. Contrary to the bitterman perspective, I do not think profit is what drives him. He is already wealthy beyond imagination, and almost all teams make a profit regardless of seasonal outcome.

michaelm
01-06-2015, 10:38 AM
McNair can spend money when he wants to. He fired a head coach with a year left on his contract, so it's not like the bottom line is the only factor in his decisions (I know, contrary to your oft-stated assumptions).

I could see McNair being on board with the show. It's another great marketing opportunity.

I just don't see O'Brien being on board with it. It is too disruptive to football operations and has the potential of revealing things that he does not want to be revealed.

Honest question. Do we really know how disruptive it is to football operations? I mean, that's the overriding sentiment, but how pervasive is it, overall?

infantrycak
01-06-2015, 10:43 AM
Yep, I agree. Which is why I asked the initial question with regards to how far would McNair go to honor his head coach's thoughts on it.

I personally think McNair always wants what is best for his franchise, first in terms of football operations and then in terms of positive media. Contrary to the bitterman perspective, I do not think profit is what drives him. He is already wealthy beyond imagination, and almost all teams make a profit regardless of seasonal outcome.

I think one thing fans don't understand is a lot of the stuff they think is for increased profits don't having anything or very little to do with increased profits. For example, jersey sales. With a few exceptions, most things are pooled in the NFL. The individual stadium ticket sales and concessions are not but the Texans have sold out every game.

Vinnie
01-06-2015, 10:47 AM
They've also increased the price of beer to $8 a can. That's beyond ridiculous.

infantrycak
01-06-2015, 10:50 AM
They've also increased the price of beer to $8 a can. That's beyond ridiculous.

Don't buy it. That's something we actually have control over. Beer sales go down 25% and you'll see the price come down.

Unless I can watch Bavarian gnomes massaging the hops, I'm not buying an $8 beer.

steelbtexan
01-06-2015, 10:52 AM

Kubiak was fired because there was no way McNair could sell a 2-14 HC to the fanbase. Along with Kubiak directly defying McNair's order to play Keenum the rest of the season. (Bad for business)

Smith having 2 yrs on his contract and the 4-6 mil buyout of BOB's Penial St. contract probably has a lot to do with why Smith got retained as GM. Not that I blame McNair I would have done the same thing if I were in his shoes. Nrg is going to be sold out regardless of the Texans record. So the McNair's did the right thing business wise and basically pocketed the cash they would've had to spend on a new GM. (Good for business) I mean that would be the only reason they would keep a GM as incompetent as Smith?

I also agree with whatever direction BOB wants to go. It should be his choice. Will it be?

The1ApplePie
01-06-2015, 10:56 AM
OB being a dick to the media because that is what Belichick does. Hard Knocks usually makes soft-spoken coaches look incompetent, so I guess it would make OB look good in comparison to Mike Smith or the Dolphins coach.

Arian being a dick to the media because of the whole love child thing

Don't see it happening, since the only draw for HBO will be Watt.

infantrycak
01-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Kubiak was fired because there was no way McNair could sell a 2-14 HC to the fanbase.

Nrg is going to be sold out regardless of the Texans record.

Someone needs a continuity checker.

Smith having 2 yrs on his contract and the 4-6 mil buyout of BOB's Penial St. contract probably has a lot to do with why Smith got retained as GM.

Hiring OB is proof all your cheap talk is wrong. There were plenty of candidates who were free to hire and McNair paid millions to get the one he liked best.

Double Barrel
01-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Honest question. Do we really know how disruptive it is to football operations? I mean, that's the overriding sentiment, but how pervasive is it, overall?

I figure there has to be a general idea behind a majority of teams wanting to avoid this circus. The logical explanation is that it could be disruptive to have film crews all over the place, and then the added burden of having to explain what happens on the show weeks after events happened in real life.

Plus, I'd think some coaches just want a driving focus on nothing but football during that crucial pre-season period.

Just my guess, though, mainly based on so many teams seemingly trying to avoid it.

I think one thing fans don't understand is a lot of the stuff they think is for increased profits don't having anything or very little to do with increased profits. For example, jersey sales. With a few exceptions, most things are pooled in the NFL. The individual stadium ticket sales and concessions are not but the Texans have sold out every game.

No doubt about it. The NFL has historically done a fantastic job of revenue sharing and making sure that all teams are competing on a somewhat even economic playing field.

Forbes reports that McNair is worth $2.4 Billion, so all the assumptions about his alleged greed is nothing more than uneducated tripe with origins in envy and desire to hate the guy at the top. It tends to be a sort of class warfare spite of pointing at and blaming the rich guy.

steelbtexan
01-06-2015, 11:02 AM

Keeping Rick Smith is what's best for the football operations side of the org? We will have to disagree, Profit is what drives most billionaires, maybe McNair is different. But I don't see anything that provides evidence to the contrary.

steelbtexan
01-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Someone needs a continuity checker.

Hiring OB is proof all your cheap talk is wrong. There were plenty of candidates who were free to hire and McNair paid millions to get the one he liked best.

The continuity of me talking about how incompetent Rick Smith is? If the McNair's aren't being frugal then they are the most incompetent owners when it comes to the on the field product imaginable. (Cleveland/Tampa bad)

BTW, it's possible to like the guy (McNair) hate the way he goes about running his business.

steelbtexan
01-06-2015, 11:15 AM
No envy what so ever, just want the best people possible running the football operations side of things.

McCarragan (SP?) is a holdover from the Casserly era. That could explain the abysmal draft history of the Texans. Yet he will still have a job next yr if Casserly can bamboozile Woody into hiring him for the Jets GM job. Woody is an idiot so there is hope.

infantrycak
01-06-2015, 11:17 AM
The continuity of me talking about how incompetent Rick Smith is?

The continuity of the two quotes right before the continuity comment. It's not that hard.

If the McNair's aren't being frugal then they are the most incompetent owners when it comes to the on the field product imaginable. (Cleveland/Tampa bad)

Yeah because anyone who disagrees with you is incompetent.

steelbtexan
01-06-2015, 11:19 AM
The continuity of the two quotes right before the continuity comment. It's not that hard.

Yeah because anyone who disagrees with you is incompetent.

Playing that card. LOL

My opinion is just as valid as yours. Only difference is one side has 12 yrs of evidence on its side.

Tell me how those quotes lacked continuity?

pirbroke
01-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Why such a small list of teams, why are the patriots not on the list, they have never been on the show. How did they get out of it?
I would like for the patriots to be on it for the sole reason of bill belichick, he would absolutely hate cameras on his field. Even though he is used to watching other teams practice

markn
01-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Why such a small list of teams, why are the patriots not on the list, they have never been on the show. How did they get out of it?
I would like for the patriots to be on it for the sole reason of bill belichick, he would absolutely hate cameras on his field. Even though he is used to watching other teams practice
Teams that have made the playoffs in the last two years, teams with new coaches, and teams that have been on Hard Knocks within the last decade are exempt.

steelbtexan
01-06-2015, 11:27 AM

Because God'ell can tell you how Kraft's a** tastes.

MistaRed
01-06-2015, 11:28 AM
The patriots are always in the playoffs so they can't be forced to do it.

Playoffs
01-06-2015, 11:30 AM
OB being a dick to the media because that is what Belichick does...

I saw one instance all season where OB was a dick to media -- and it was to a Texas Monthly guy with pointy shoes and greased-back hair who kept prodding him with the same dumb questions who was in to write a hatchet piece.

Not that it won't happen, it surely will, but I watched every single presser since his hire and he was fine. He makes fun of them. Had a few times where he raised his voice -- like when Tania asked about a silver lining to a loss -- but those were regarding "failure is unacceptable" responses.

What ticks the media off is OB holds close things that fall into competitive advantage as he defines it. But way more times than not, O'Brien was standing at the podium waiting for the next questions and the media didn't have any. He's like, "Really? Okay." And then he goes on with his 10-14 hour work day. Steph was not around much for the pressers due to other obligations, but the other locals just aren't very prepared week-in/week-out to write out-of-the-box, off-schedule pieces.

Belichick is crusty with media, but he did do "A Football Life" which let us see a lot of the who and how. Hard Knocks will get us eventually. Hopefully next year after we've had two offseason cycles to fully structure and fine tune the process.

infantrycak
01-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Playing that card. LOL

What card? You like ascribing evil intentions or incompetence to anyone on the team you disagree with or want gone. It's never good enough for you to just say they did something poorly or you'd prefer someone else. It's they don't want to win, they're cheap, etc.

Tell me how those quotes lacked continuity?

They speak for themselves.

Kubiak was fired because there was no way McNair could sell a 2-14 HC to the fanbase.

Nrg is going to be sold out regardless of the Texans record.

What's worse is your contradiction is in pursuit of the same stupid demonization. Can't give McNair credit for getting rid of Kubiak because it was best for the team - have to sell that as "he had to" or he'd lose the fan base. Then turn around and paint keeping Smith as another cheap move he can get away with because he can't lose the fan base. It's absurd.

And that has nothing to do with the individuals involved. Other folks manage to talk about owners, coaches, players without demonizing everyone they would like to see gone.

Double Barrel
01-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Keeping Rick Smith is what's best for the football operations side of the org?

Since we truly do not know the scope of Smith's duties, we cannot really have an educated opinion on the reason(s) why McNair continues to employ him.

There is much speculation that Smith is not a traditional GM (i.e. a conduit between the owner and head coach). Even O'Brien said that him and Smith are equals in the organizational structure. That is not a traditional power structure.

I honestly think that Charlie Casserly turned McNair off to a powerful GM that controls everything with his franchise. After the Casserly experience, I think McNair was looking for a GM that would operate more like a corporate board room, something McNair is comfortable and familiar with based on his history as a businessman.

Even Smith admitted to coaches having a lot of power when they fired Kubiak. It is easy to put all the blame on one man, but Smith is not the one coaching the players and calling the plays. Heck, he might not even be the one picking the players.

We will have to disagree, Profit is what drives most billionaires, maybe McNair is different. But I don't see anything that provides evidence to the contrary.

Dude makes a profit regardless of what happens on the field. They could go 0-16 for two seasons and still make a profit.

Do you want to know what would make him even MORE profit? Winning a championship.

Kinda' weird how it works out that way, yeah?

infantrycak
01-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Do you want to know what would make him even MORE profit? Winning a championship.

Not sure how that keeps getting overlooked.

JB
01-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Who is this ONE you speak of. I do believe there's a higher power. Lets hire him on ASAP. LOL

One team every year. The only one that does it consistently is Belichek

Vinnie
01-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Don't buy it. That's something we actually have control over. Beer sales go down 25% and you'll see the price come down.

Unless I can watch Bavarian gnomes massaging the hops, I'm not buying an $8 beer.

I have, or at least I've cut way back. I'm down to buying the two Bud Lights for $5 before walking in, and then maybe one of the $8 cans if that. I hate Bud Light but Miller doesn't have that deal. I used to buy at least two or three cans in the stadium when it was around $6.50 which wasn't all that long ago.

Marshall
01-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Mo Money

It's like the TV contracts. It is an agreement with the NFL and Hard Knocks so the owners have obligations as members of the NFL. But they don't have to make it easy...

Marshall
01-06-2015, 01:30 PM

It has always been a good idea to leave a bit early and eat on the way to the stadium instead of at the stadium. It is true from HS to the NFL. But Peewee concessions are usually reasonable.

As for drinking? Just don't be the sucker that's born every minute.

Marshall
01-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Since we truly do not know the scope of Smith's duties, we cannot really have an educated opinion on the reason(s) why McNair continues to employ him.

There is much speculation that Smith is not a traditional GM (i.e. a conduit between the owner and head coach). Even O'Brien said that him and Smith are equals in the organizational structure. That is not a traditional power structure.

I honestly think that Charlie Casserly turned McNair off to a powerful GM that controls everything with his franchise. After the Casserly experience, I think McNair was looking for a GM that would operate more like a corporate board room, something McNair is comfortable and familiar with based on his history as a businessman.

Even Smith admitted to coaches having a lot of power when they fired Kubiak. It is easy to put all the blame on one man, but Smith is not the one coaching the players and calling the plays. Heck, he might not even be the one picking the players.

Dude makes a profit regardless of what happens on the field. They could go 0-16 for two seasons and still make a profit.

The Power structure is not unusual in business. There is an operations hierarchy and staff positions. I suspect Rick Smith is simply in a Staff Position with the Texans rather than the operations hierarchy.

ObsiWan
01-06-2015, 03:21 PM

I'd ask the question differently:
Has appearance on this show been demonstrated to be, in any way, beneficial to a team's win column? If not, if I'm head coach, I don't have time for it.

michaelm
01-06-2015, 03:25 PM
I'd ask the question differently:
Has appearance on this show been demonstrated to be, in any way, beneficial to a team's win column? If not, if I'm head coach, I don't have time for it.

I agree with that, and it's relevant as long as a franchise has a choice in the matter, but that might not be the case this year.

Double Barrel
01-06-2015, 03:58 PM
The Power structure is not unusual in business. There is an operations hierarchy and staff positions. I suspect Rick Smith is simply in a Staff Position with the Texans rather than the operations hierarchy.

Yeah, time's are changing. The old school structure was owner > GM > HC.

These days, we are seeing variations, from the above mentioned structure, to ones where head coaches are acting as GMs, to some teams with more of a board room setup.

I was curious so did a little Googling, and found an interesting article with some details on how the Texans are set up with O'Brien:

Browns, Texans among five teams with new power structures (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000346645/article/browns-texans-among-five-teams-with-new-power-structures)

Something from the article that I did not know: "Likewise, offseason coaching hires Bill O'Brien (Texans) and Lovie Smith (Buccaneers) inherited ultimate authority over the 53-man roster."

I did not realize that O'Brien was granted that much power.

More on the Texans from that article:

Houston Texans

Owner: Bob McNair, 13th year
General Manager: Rick Smith, 9th year
Head Coach: Bill O'Brien, 1st year
Other front-office notables: Cal McNair, Chief Operating Officer; Brian Gaine, Director of Pro Personnel; Mike Maccagnan, Director of College Scouting; Chris Olsen, Vice President of Football Administration.

Who's really in charge? The firing of Gary Kubiak brought the first big shakeup for McNair's organization in almost a decade. Smith survived the switch as the team's GM, and he still runs the draft and free agency. But just the same, it's clear that O'Brien carries a big stick coming aboard from Penn State, as evidenced by his securing contractual final say over the 53-man roster.

McNair has long viewed the Patriots organization -- which O'Brien spent five years in -- as a model. To that end, the Texans brought Brian Gaine -- who interviewed for the Dolphins', Jets' and Rams' GM openings in the past three years -- over from Miami as pro director. Gaine is fluent in the Parcells/Belichick language. Perhaps the biggest difference from last year is the specificity of the traits that O'Brien and his staff look for in players (the difference between "X" and "Z" receivers, "Y" and "F" tight ends, etc.). Maccagnan is a holdover, and has long been a trusted voice for Smith. Olsen handles the cap.

Both O'Brien and Smith report to McNair, who's very well-respected in ownership circles. McNair is in the office when he's in town, but because his other businesses do take him away at times, he has entrusted his son Cal to oversee day-to-day operations. McNair also is there as a tiebreaker for big football decisions, though that hasn't been needed early on in the O'Brien/Smith partnership.

An outside perspective from an NFC personnel executive: "They've been an operation where the owner lets the GM do his deal the way he wants to do it. Rick's well-respected. Some of the decisions that have been made, you wonder, Are they coach-driven or GM-driven, or a combination? That's a question that's tough to answer. They do a lot, draft-wise, off of need -- and that's what causes you to question some of their decisions. ... I know from the people that I've talked to, it seems like Bill's a hell of a coach and quarterback developer. You know that in that tree, with the things they're used to doing, it will be interesting to see the player personnel stuff work, because he's from New England, where Belichick runs everything."

Based on the above, blaming Rick Smith for everything is not just a little myopic, but also basically misinformed.

JB
01-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Based on the above, blaming Rick Smith for everything is not just a little myopic, but also basically misinformed.

Always has been but this board doesn't let facts or truth get in the way... :kitten:

Same as the old McNair is cheap argument

MistaRed
01-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Are you guys really whining about being on hard knocks?

infantrycak
01-06-2015, 04:12 PM
Are you guys really whining about being on hard knocks?

I don't see a single person whining. Some don't like the idea.

JB
01-06-2015, 04:39 PM
I don't see a single person whining. Some don't like the idea.

I would say most don't like the idea. And I can't recall a single team that had a decent season after being on hard knocks

TexansFight
01-06-2015, 04:51 PM
What card? You like ascribing evil intentions or incompetence to anyone on the team you disagree with or want gone. It's never good enough for you to just say they did something poorly or you'd prefer someone else. It's they don't want to win, they're cheap, etc.

They speak for themselves.

What's worse is your contradiction is in pursuit of the same stupid demonization. Can't give McNair credit for getting rid of Kubiak because it was best for the team - have to sell that as "he had to" or he'd lose the fan base. Then turn around and paint keeping Smith as another cheap move he can get away with because he can't lose the fan base. It's absurd.

And that has nothing to do with the individuals involved. Other folks manage to talk about owners, coaches, players without demonizing everyone they would like to see gone.

You add nothing to this board.. You are a bully and need to be stripped of moderator title

JB
01-06-2015, 05:15 PM
You add nothing to this board.. You are a bully and need to be stripped of moderator title

moderators can't have opinions too?

He points out the fallacy of many posts, don't make him a bully

xtruroyaltyx
01-06-2015, 05:51 PM
I hope we get it. The Texans have won two playoff games in their existence. Earned number 1 overall twice. As a fan I want something else to get excited about. Ted Johnson made an interesting point which was that cameras are there all the time and when hard knocks came last season (even though the attention wasn't on us per se) it was just a few more cameras.

I know that would be magnified if it was us on the show. On field, film room, off field stuff...

But I don't care. If hard knocks distracts them to keep them from reaching their full potential then we probably aren't real good anyways.

As a fan, I want to see it.

Nitrofish
01-06-2015, 06:26 PM

I would disagree with this. He adds lot's of great stuff, but it can be confrontational, or at least appear that way sometimes. Perhaps you see mods as someone who is there to defend the meek, or ***** foot around your feelings?

I agree that he has his own opinions, and expressing those opinions does not exclude him from being able to carry out his duties as a mod. Perhaps you are thinking of the official Texans message board. They actively run members away with their squad of goons masquerading as mods.

Besides. Cak is a lawyer. What else do you expect from a blood sucking demon from the depths of hell? :kitten:

dalemurphy
01-06-2015, 06:58 PM
I hope we get it. The Texans have won two playoff games in their existence. Earned number 1 overall twice. As a fan I want something else to get excited about. Ted Johnson made an interesting point which was that cameras are there all the time and when hard knocks came last season (even though the attention wasn't on us per se) it was just a few more cameras.

I know that would be magnified if it was us on the show. On field, film room, off field stuff...

But I don't care. If hard knocks distracts them to keep them from reaching their full potential then we probably aren't real good anyways.

I hate the idea of my team volunteering to be on Hard Knocks. I don't think an organization with its priorities in order would invite a side show like that. It is unnecessary and does nothing to prepare a team for the football season, which should be the absolute focus during training camp. It would confuse/mitigate the coaches' message to players about focus if the organization is inviting a distraction like that. However, I don't think the side show is more than a minor nuisance and a distraction that can be dealt with efffectively... I would love the additional 6+ hours of coverage we would have of the Texans' camp/preseason. So, the NFL forcing Hard Knocks upon an otherwise unwilling Texans management/coaching staff is an ideal scenario.

Heath Shuler
01-06-2015, 07:22 PM
I would say most don't like the idea. And I can't recall a single team that had a decent season after being on hard knocks

http://grantland.com/features/the-questionable-perils-training-camp-microscope-offseason-stories-matter/

2009: Cincinnati Bengals

Previous season: 4-12
Hard Knocks season: 9-7, lost in wild-card round

2010: New York Jets

Previous season: 9-7, lost in AFC championship game
Hard Knocks season: 11-5, lost in AFC championship game

2012 Bengals: 10-6
Hard Knocks season 2013:11-5

Marshall
01-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Poor Bengals. Twice cursed.

ObsiWan
01-06-2015, 07:47 PM
http://grantland.com/features/the-questionable-perils-training-camp-microscope-offseason-stories-matter/

2012 Bengals: 10-6
Hard Knocks season 2013:11-5

According to the article, the results are, at best, mixed.

Heath Shuler
01-06-2015, 07:57 PM
According to the article, the results are, at best, mixed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82996e4a/article/there-is-no-hard-knocks-curse

The record of teams during the season before they appeared on "Hard Knocks": 57-55.

The record of the eight teams in the season during which they appeared on "Hard Knocks": 57-55.

this is from 2012

Thorn
01-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Just to reiterate my feelings on the matter, NO. Not just no, but **** no.

steelbtexan
01-06-2015, 09:07 PM
moderators can't have opinions too?

He points out the fallacy of many posts, don't make him a bully

I just don't think the Texans will ever win anything of significance as long as Rick Smith is GM. I've got 8 yrs of substance that make me believe this. I've been consistent with this since 2009. If that's a fallacy so be it.

Or could it just be an opinion, you know just like his opinion?

If that's demonization so be it. Tell you what when Rick Smith proves me wrong then I will eat crow. Until then things will continue to be what they are. It doesn't look like that crow will be cooking for awhile.

How many more yrs of mediocrity will it take until people will admit they were wrong about Smith just like they were about Kubiak. I mean Smith had the 1st pick in every rd of the draft and got basically nothing from it. (I do still think the draft class has potential. Although the Clowney injury is a bummer.)

I've never been known to let the demons get the best of me. LOL

steelbtexan
01-06-2015, 09:10 PM
Always has been but this board doesn't let facts or truth get in the way... :kitten:

Same as the old McNair is cheap argument

McNair has done a GREAT job.

There does that make everything better.

Playoffs?

steelbtexan
01-06-2015, 09:13 PM

^^^^
This

JB
01-06-2015, 09:17 PM
I just don't think the Texans will ever win anything of significance as long as Rick Smith is GM. I've got 8 yrs of substance that make me believe this. I've been consistent with this since 2009. If that's a fallacy so be it.

If that's demonization so be it. Tell you what when Rick Smith proves me wrong then I will eat crow. Until then things will continue to be what they are. It doesn't look like that crow will be cooking for awhile.

How many more yrs of mediocrity will it take until people will admit they were wrong about Smith just like they were about Kubiak. I mean Smith had the 1st pick in every rd of the draft and got basically nothing from it. (I do still think the draft class has potential. Although the Clowney injury is a bummer.)

I understand where you're coming from, and I share your frustration. But how do we know that Smith is too blame for all of it? He don't have the power of the old time GM that ran the show, it's a group think tank in which he is only one voice.

Cal McNair oversees day to day operations so shouldn't he be getting the hate?

steelbtexan
01-06-2015, 09:18 PM
I would disagree with this. He adds lot's of great stuff, but it can be confrontational, or at least appear that way sometimes. Perhaps you see mods as someone who is there to defend the meek, or ***** foot around your feelings?

I agree that he has his own opinions, and expressing those opinions does not exclude him from being able to carry out his duties as a mod. Perhaps you are thinking of the official Texans message board. They actively run members away with their squad of goons masquerading as mods.

Besides. Cak is a lawyer. What else do you expect from a blood sucking demon from the depths of hell? :kitten:

I think ICAK does a great job and is much appreciated. We just disagree. With that said I find it humorous that a lawyer would used the word demonization when it comes to describing an opinion that disagrees with his.

b0ng
01-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Just to reiterate my feelings on the matter, NO. Not just no, but **** no.

What are you going to do if the Texans (as unlikely as it is, thanks Johnny Football!) end up on hard knocks? Smoke a joint about it?

steelbtexan
01-06-2015, 09:53 PM
I understand where you're coming from, and I share your frustration. But how do we know that Smith is too blame for all of it? He don't have the power of the old time GM that ran the show, it's a group think tank in which he is only one voice.

Cal McNair oversees day to day operations so shouldn't he be getting the hate?

Hate is a strong word.

There's plenty of ineptitude to be shared when it comes to how the Texans on field product has been run for the past 12 yrs. Cal McNair would be near the top of that list.

Thorn
01-06-2015, 09:57 PM
What are you going to do if the Texans (as unlikely as it is, thanks Johnny Football!) end up on hard knocks? Smoke a joint about it?

After serious consideration of a long list of ideas, that one still remains at the top.

JB
01-06-2015, 10:27 PM
Hate is a strong word.

Just a figure of speech to give the negative flavor

JCTexan
01-06-2015, 10:34 PM
One team every year. The only one that does it consistently is Belichek

I'm assuming by 'one team every year' you mean the Super Bowl winner. If that's the case the Patriots haven't won it since the 2004 season.

steelbtexan
01-06-2015, 10:34 PM
Just a figure of speech to give the negative flavor

I understand.

I just hate the word hate.

JB
01-06-2015, 10:38 PM
I understand.

I just hate the word hate.

lol

Marshall
01-07-2015, 04:22 AM

Probably about as long as it will take for people to realize that Rick Smith got what the coaches wanted and that he's staff and not the lead dog.

ObsiWan
01-07-2015, 05:35 AM
Probably about as long as it will take for people to realize that Rick Smith got what the coaches wanted and that he's staff and not the lead dog.

I think DoubleBarrell posted in a different thread that O'Brien has absolute and final say on the final 53. Does anyone think he doesn't have final say on who gets drafted too? My money says Kubiak, control freak that he was, had the same level of roster input. We just never heard whether it was written into his contract.

houstonspartan
01-07-2015, 11:24 PM
If Bill O'Brien does his loud blasting of music from his I Pod during practices, HBO may have to buy all the rights to all of those songs (beyond fair use limits). That could get expensive.

Regardless, it would be interesting to see our team on national tv.

Playoffs
03-23-2015, 05:49 PM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Texans to star on HBO's 'Hard Knocks?' Owner says it's an option http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/03/texans-to-star-on-hbos-hard-knocks-owner-says-its-an-option/ …

Texans invited on Hard Knocks but Gary Kubiak wasn't in favor of it. They didn't qualify last year cause O'Brien was a first-year coach.

McNair on Hard Knocks “Our first responsibility is 2 do everything 2 win on the field so the question is what impact does that have on you?”

McNair on Hard Knocks possibility: "It’s a distraction, but it’s something people like to see." Texans turned down the series N the past.

Bob McNair said Texans may appear on Hard Knocks. “It’s something we’re considering, but I haven’t decided," he said today.

xtruroyaltyx
03-23-2015, 05:52 PM
Please let this happen.

infantrycak
03-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Hopefully the Texans never appear on the show.

Playoffs
03-23-2015, 05:55 PM
Please let this happen.

I want the Browns in 2015 and us in 2016. I think JD's best chance to do anything will be in the latter. And Johnny Football! Could be now or never for him.

Bulls on Parade
03-23-2015, 06:13 PM
I thought HBO already picked the Texans to be on 2015 Hard Knocks, for the third time now I believe, it's just a matter of Bob McNair signing off on it which he didn't do the previous two times they were selected. I'd love to see it happen. We have the greatest player in the game in J.J. Watt and a pretty good quarterback battle on our hands, along with a first overall pick trying to work his way back from a serious injury and rehab. Also Bill O'Brien's charisma and toughness will be fun to watch. A lot of entertaining storylines to follow. I didn't even mention Brian Cushing, who will provide a lot of fun sound bytes. Plus the rookie class we end up drafting, two of which, will likely be immediate starters at wide receiver and outside linebacker. That's always exciting to follow on Hard Knocks.

Bulls on Parade
03-23-2015, 06:25 PM
I want the Browns in 2015 and us in 2016. I think JD's best chance to do anything will be in the latter. And Johnny Football! Could be now or never for him.
The Houston Texans offer a lot of everything. They will draw the best ratings out of all the teams available.

TheRealJoker
03-23-2015, 06:28 PM
You can never get enough JJ Watt on TV. That's why he was all over that episode the Falcons played the Texans in preseason.

JB
03-23-2015, 06:35 PM

This^^^^

markn
03-23-2015, 06:38 PM
Please let this happen.
I'm curious, what possible benefit do you see for the Texans? Or is it more for selfish reasons of being able to be a fly on the wall (not meant disparaging).

PHILLYTEXANFAN
03-23-2015, 06:42 PM
I could care less about it. They've never had a good team on so its coincidental that no team on the show went to the playoffs that year

Mollywhopper
03-23-2015, 06:43 PM
As much as I would love to see the Texans in this format, I more so don't want my team to have to put up with the bs this format brings.

Wish we could just luck out have the all-access itch scratched playing the featured team in the preseason every year.

ObsiWan
03-23-2015, 06:46 PM
I'm curious, what possible benefit do you see for the Texans?

Damn if I can think of a single way this circus helps the team's progress
but hey, what do I know

EllisUnit
03-23-2015, 06:48 PM
I just get my dose of the Texans before the season starts, so i'm all for it...

Thorn
03-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Won't do me any good anyway, I don't have cable. Unless they are going to put it on HBO Go, I'll never see it until people start posting it on u-tube.

Bulls on Parade
03-23-2015, 06:52 PM
I was trying to text John McClain and receive some confirmation. He just responded back to me that it's about 70-30 that Bob McNair will give the green light. He thinks Mr. McNair is going to approve very soon after a meeting he had with him.

In fact, John McClain was so certain it was happening that he wrote an article on Chron.com/sports about two hours ago that the Texans will appear on the show, but then he edited that it's still an option as Bob McNair is still considering it. So pretty much it's up to McNair but he's leaning towards a yes with HBO.

Here is the edited article that John wrote.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/03/texans-to-star-on-hbos-hard-knocks-owner-says-its-an-option/#31508101=0

This is great news then. The Texans will likely appear on Hard Knocks.

markn
03-23-2015, 06:54 PM
I was trying to text John McClain and receive some confirmation. He just responded back to me that it's about 70-30 that Bob McNair will give the green light. He thinks Mr. McNair is going to approve very soon after a meeting he had with him.

In fact, John McClain was so certain it was happening that he wrote an article on Chron.com/sports about two hours ago that the Texans will appear on the show, but then he edited that it's still an option as Bob McNair is still considering it. So pretty much it's up to McNair but he's leaning towards a yes with HBO.

Here is the edited article that John wrote.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/03/texans-to-star-on-hbos-hard-knocks-owner-says-its-an-option/#31508101=0

Why is it great news? I genuinely don't understand.

JB
03-23-2015, 06:57 PM

Don't know why you would think that. Just another Major distraction while trying to get the team built.

I took McNairs comment that he hadn't decided yet to mean he hadn't discussed it with OB yet, and I can't fathom OB being ok with it.

Other than purely selfish reasons, why would anyone want their team to be on it?

thunderkyss
03-23-2015, 06:57 PM
I don't see how any good can come of Hard Knocks. I would honestly think it a dumb decision if the Texans do it.

But I'll be eagerly awaiting each episode.

Bulls on Parade
03-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Why is it great news? I genuinely don't understand.
I don't understand why this is not great news. Anybody who has a passion for the Houston Texans should really enjoy this. It's going to feel like an extra bonus for anybody who loves the Texans but doesn't have inside access to the team like most of the media does.

Thorn
03-23-2015, 07:01 PM
Well fellahs, just look at it this way. We'll have more shit to fight over now. :cowboy1:

JB
03-23-2015, 07:01 PM
I don't understand why this is not great news. Anybody who has a passion for the Houston Texans should really enjoy this. It's going to feel like an extra bonus for anybody who loves the Texans but doesn't have inside access to the team like most of the media does.

I'd rather training camp stay behind closed doors and have a successful team than be exposed and be a major disappointment like everyone else that's been on there. What possible benefit to the team could it have from a fans perspective? More exposure to the country? That helps you how? You want insider access? Go to the open practices... do you really need to see the coaches tell some kid his life long dream is over?

markn
03-23-2015, 07:04 PM
I want what's best for the Texans chances of winning. Having season preparation interrupted for this circus cannot possibly enhance their chances of winning. I get people will enjoy the fly-on-the-wall aspect, but not at the expense of having a poorly prepared team

Edit: or what JB said.

JB
03-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Well fellahs, just look at it this way. We'll have more shit to fight over now. :cowboy1:

Like you, I don't have HBO so it don't matter to me, just don't think any good can come from it.

We can aways find shit to fight over... :pirate:

Bulls on Parade
03-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Don't know why you would think that. Just another Major distraction while trying to get the team built.

I took McNairs comment that he hadn't decided yet to mean he hadn't discussed it with OB yet, and I can't fathom OB being ok with it.

Other than purely selfish reasons, why would anyone want their team to be on it?
The people who think it will be a major distraction will probably be the ones enjoying the show the most once it starts airing. I understand it may not be the most pleasant thing while the actual filming is going on. Always having those cameras following you around. Let me guess, those same people who disagree with the Houston Texans being on 2015 Hard Knocks will be watching every second of the show on HBO I'm sure.

infantrycak
03-23-2015, 07:07 PM
The people who think it will be a major distraction will probably be the ones enjoying the show the most once it starts airing. I understand it may not be the most pleasant thing while the actual filming is going on. Always having those cameras following you around. Let me guess, those same people who disagree with the Houston Texans being on 2015 Hard Knocks will be watching every second of the show on HBO I'm sure.

So what if that's true? That makes no difference whatsoever. There isn't even an argument for how this HELPS THE TEAM, not you the fan, the team.

Bulls on Parade
03-23-2015, 07:09 PM
Like you, I don't have HBO so it don't matter to me, just don't think any good can come from it.

We can aways find shit to fight over... :pirate:
You can easily access the show on-line if you don't have HBO. I remember watching every episode on-line, for free, at HBO.com when my digital cable was down a few summers ago. Anything with the Houston Texans is worth a watch regardless of what it is. I've been suffering over the years watching teams I don't even care about appear on the show and I still enjoyed it.

JB
03-23-2015, 07:10 PM

If I had HBO, I still doubt I'd watch it. Watched the first season and it's a colossal waste of time in my opinion, and certainly is not for the benefit of the team.

What do you care most about, the Texans or 1 hour a (day?) (week?). Tell me the positives to be gained by the Texans other than letting more of the country see behind the scenes action of OUR team?

PapaL
03-23-2015, 07:10 PM

Concur.

The camaraderie that is formed away from the public eye should stay away from the public.

Has any team had a good season after appearing on Hard Knocks?