PDA

View Full Version : Which QB will be waived?

Hottoddie
06-12-2014, 02:26 AM
It's being reported that OB wants to go into training camp with only 3 QB's. So, who do you feel will be the odd man out?

EDIT: It should be Fitzpatrick, instead of Fitzgerald. I had a brain fart. :D

Hottoddie
06-12-2014, 02:54 AM
I wanted to vote for Yates, but I can't shake the feeling it's going to be Keenum.

xtruroyaltyx
06-12-2014, 07:24 AM
I think Yates will be cut. One thing that's been noted about keenum is his exuberance for the game. OB likes football guys. I think keenum fits the offense a little better...jmo. I also think he has the higher upside.

I never got the feeling from Yates that he was dying to be a starter. I just didn't get the vibe that he wanted to be the guy...the leader.

But I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes there. Going to be interesting to discuss when it happens.

HJam72
06-12-2014, 07:28 AM
I picked the wrong guy, LOL. :kubepalm:
I meant to pick Yates.

TheIronDuke
06-12-2014, 07:35 AM
I think Yates fits the mold that OB looks for in a QB and according to rumors, they had an offer for a late round pick in the last draft for Yates and declined.

So I think Keenum is going to be cut but I hope not because I really don't like Yates.

PapaL
06-12-2014, 07:41 AM
I think Yates fits the mold that OB looks for in a QB and according to rumors, they had an offer for a late round pick in the last draft for Yates and declined.

So I think Keenum is going to be cut but I hope not because I really don't like Yates.

^^This ^^

Mr teX
06-12-2014, 07:42 AM
I honestly think that Keenum's hometown fanfare is gonna keep him on the roster and conversely get Yates cut.

Sad really b/c honestly he and Keenum are more alike than they are different in terms of their upside. Yet some fans have no problem making a definitive judgement on Yates but have come up with every excuse in the world for Keenum.

disaacks3
06-12-2014, 08:15 AM
I think of Yates these days as a "camp arm", he was chosen specifically to run Kubiak's system. The only way I see BoB hanging on to him is he sees more upside than Keenum.

Brisco_County
06-12-2014, 08:28 AM
I remember reading that Yates had injury concerns that affected his chances of winning the backup job last season. I can't search for a source for that since I'm at work.

What works in Keenum's favor is that he has more of a tendency to keep his eyes downfield, and he's accurate.

Nitrofish
06-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Who the hell is Fitzgerald?

No Worries
06-12-2014, 08:36 AM
I hope that it is Fitzpatrick. That would mean that he got outplayed by both Yates and Keenum. Fitzpatrick is a placehoilder. The faster he is gone, the better it will be for the Texans.

Nitrofish
06-12-2014, 08:36 AM
I remember reading that Yates had injury concerns that affected his chances of winning the backup job last season. I can't search for a source for that since I'm at work.

What works in Keenum's favor is that he has more of a tendency to keep his eyes downfield, and he's accurate.

When did 54.2% become accurate?

HOU-TEX
06-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Personally, I'd like to cut both Keenum and Yates. Given the fact there will be a lot of players cut over the next couple months, I think it's a distinct possibility.

I had to choose one, so I chose Keenum. A lot has been made of the prototypical O'Brien QB and Keenum doesn't fit. Plus, he was really bad toward the end of the season. He refused to take check downs and hot routes when they were running wide open underneath. He either couldn't or chose not to read blitzes that my mom could see. Always tried to win the game in one play.

Corrosion
06-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Personally, I'd like to cut both Keenum and Yates. Given the fact there will be a lot of players cut over the next couple months, I think it's a distinct possibility.

I had to choose one, so I chose Keenum. A lot has been made of the prototypical O'Brien QB and Keenum doesn't fit. Plus, he was really bad toward the end of the season. He refused to take check downs and hot routes when they were running wide open underneath. He either couldn't or chose not to read blitzes that my mom could see. Always tried to win the game in one play.

Prepare to be flamed by the Keenum Fan Club.

I don't at all disagree with your assessment.

beerlover
06-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Keenum. Let him find a new home maybe Baltimore or Cleveland let him test the market for better situation now so that he can catch on with another team.

I don't need Yates to be a starter just reliable, cheap insurance in back-up roll. Great young man, keeps quiet, minds his buisness & never I mean never complains.

Fitzpatrick has a couple years here to bring experience & leadership to the table for younger guys. Not costing much either!

Savage should groom into starters role but will have to earn it.

Playoffs
06-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Fitzgerald, Keenpatrick, or Yavage.

HOU-TEX
06-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Prepare to be flamed by the Keenum Fan Club.

I don't at all disagree with your assessment.

Yeah, and that's fine. I still have all the games recorded (no clue why) and crank one up when ever there's nothing worth watching on TV. It truly is painful to watch. Especially later in the season where teams knew he struggled under pressure.

By no means am I saying Yates is that much better. I just think Yates would at least take what the defense gives him

Double Barrel
06-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Only one of them has won a playoff game, iirc. :evil:

Bye bye Case. :BananaWav

Corrosion
06-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Yeah, and that's fine. I still have all the games recorded (no clue why) and crank one up when ever there's nothing worth watching on TV. It truly is painful to watch. Especially later in the season where teams knew he struggled under pressure.

By no means am I saying Yates is that much better. I just think Yates would at least take what the defense gives him

It was apparent in the very first game he started (KC). On multiple occasions they bring only 4 defenders but would do so by overloading one side or the other and he failed to recognize it and make the adjustment in protection & route combination (hot route). Those were things he did have the ability to change within the scope of Kubiak's audible system.

That pretty much became par for the course as the season wore on.

I'd give him a pass for that first game or two had he shown improvement in that aspect as the season went on but it appeared to me he got worse , not better.

NCTexan
06-12-2014, 10:48 AM
I fully expect Yates to surprise some people here this preseason.

Yates has always dealt with getting more **** than he deserved (at UNC it was similar), and he always improved and got better. I don't see this being any different.

Yes, I'm full UNC homer here.

Hervoyel
06-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Not interested in having this conversation again. It's just been beaten to death as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that I voted for Keenum. I don't think I have any idea who it actually will be (beyond Yates or Keenum. Fitz and Savage aren't going anywhere) so there it is. No idea who wins that one but I like Keenum slightly more than Yates.

Vinny
06-12-2014, 11:07 AM
As the season gets closer I think they will both be cut and we'll pick up somebody like Matt McGloin when he gets cut since Schaub has guaranteed money this season and Carr will push for the starter job. With Trent Edwards this is a crowded situation in Oakland. McGloin is an overachiever with NFL experience that knows BoB's system.

eriadoc
06-12-2014, 11:15 AM

This doesn't deserve to be flamed. You have your opinion and others have theirs. That's cool. I think we all agree that Keenum didn't cut it last season. The only spot where some differ is some people would like to see if the potential that he did show can develop and can he overcome his deficiencies.

I honestly think that Keenum's hometown fanfare is gonna keep him on the roster and conversely get Yates cut.

Sad really b/c honestly he and Keenum are more alike than they are different in terms of their upside. Yet some fans have no problem making a definitive judgement on Yates but have come up with every excuse in the world for Keenum.

Now this post deserves to be flamed. No two ways about it, this is just stupid and inflammatory. This post basically says that BO'B is going to come in to a new situation and let the fan sentiment (of a VERY small segment, btw) dictate who he keeps on his roster. That ranks among the stupidest things typed in this forum in recent memory. But that's not even the worst part. What's worse is this is just a lame attempt to get ahead of the rationalization curve. You're setting yourself up to be able to rationalize why Keenum might be kept, in the event that he is. If he is kept on, it couldn't possibly be because BO'B sees something in him and/or thinks he's at least the third best QB on the roster. No, you're trying to set up a "just in case" scenario that establishes that BO'B would only keep Keenum because the all powerful UH alumni are pressuring him to do so.

Jeez, I wish I had as much actual power to influence NFL decisions as you just gave me credit for.

Corrosion
06-12-2014, 11:33 AM
This doesn't deserve to be flamed.

Nope , it doesn't but that wont change the fact that some will flame it. Keenum has a lot of hometown fanboys.

Sad really b/c honestly he and Keenum are more alike than they are different in terms of their upside. Yet some fans have no problem making a definitive judgment on Yates but have come up with every excuse in the world for Keenum.

Now this post deserves to be flamed. No two ways about it, this is just stupid and inflammatory. This post basically says that BO'B is going to come in to a new situation and let the fan sentiment (of a VERY small segment, btw) dictate who he keeps on his roster. That ranks among the stupidest things typed in this forum in recent memory.

Thing is its not just BO'B .... its the other Bob too and he has a mancrush on Keenum. He for all intents and purposes gave the last HC an ultimatum to play Keenum .... That hometown fanfare does play into McNair's thinking even if it doesn't play into O'Brien's. Call it a fall back plan if FitzSavage is a failure. Something to keep asses in the seats when the team is multiple games below .500.

eriadoc
06-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Thing is its not just BO'B .... its the other Bob too and he has a mancrush on Keenum. He for all intents and purposes gave the last HC an ultimatum to play Keenum .... That hometown fanfare does play into McNair's thinking even if it doesn't play into O'Brien's. Call it a fall back plan if FitzSavage is a failure. Something to keep asses in the seats when the team is multiple games below .500.

See, I know the stuff with McNair and Kubiak, but I find it hard to believe that the same onus will be put on O'Brien, especially since, 1.) He's a new coach taking over and trying to rebuild. He has to have early control to build the team the way he wants. 2.) Last year was the first (maybe only) chance to see Keenum, and Schaub had shown he couldn't get the job done. Just like we've all said around here in many situations, there are times when you just play the young guy to see what he's got. If he fails, it's not like you've really lost anything, and actually gained intel. If he succeeds, then you're better off. Last year was a perfect illustration of that. This year? Not so much.

No way McNair is dictating to O'Brien that he has to keep Keenum around.

infantrycak
06-12-2014, 11:52 AM

I'm not so sure it was a man crush on Keenum so much as McNair coming to believe Schaub was done and wanting the younger QBs evaluated. It's at least a possibility the directive was "anyone but Schaub" rather than "play Keenum." I lean toward anyone but Schaub because McNair ignored the hometown fanfare of VY which was way stronger than for Keenum.

CloakNNNdagger
06-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Last year, I reported that Yates was dealing with elbow (throwing arm) problems dating back to 2011 (when he also had a throwing shoulder problem), and constantly from the middle of 2012, and through parts of the 2013 season.........and this was obviously without the trauma of being a starting "full-time" QB. Elbow problems in a QB can quickly become chronic and progressive with repeated damage. It already appears that Yates history is trying to enter that status. Then he developed back problems through the last 3 games of last season. Not really a history of problems I would want in a backup QB that may be needed to takeover long-term at moment's notice.

Hottoddie
06-12-2014, 12:16 PM
It was apparent in the very first game he started (KC). On multiple occasions they bring only 4 defenders but would do so by overloading one side or the other and he failed to recognize it and make the adjustment in protection & route combination (hot route). Those were things he did have the ability to change within the scope of Kubiak's audible system.

That pretty much became par for the course as the season wore on.

I'd give him a pass for that first game or two had he shown improvement in that aspect as the season went on but it appeared to me he got worse , not better.

Not to make excuses for Keenum, but I have to ask the question, was he mentally prepared to be a starter at that point?

Even though he had been on the roster for just over a year he was always the 3rd string QB. While he got reps, he most likely didn't get the personal coaching that he needed. In the KC game he freestyled & almost helped us pull off the upset. He had a solid game the next week, but Kubiak started clamping down on him in the 3rd week & his performance steadily dropped off each subsequent week there after. Was he over thinking it & trying to not make mistakes rather than play the game? Was the speed of the game & Kubiak's multiple options per play too much for him at that point? While it's always a possibility (and became a reality), the 3rd string QB was never expected to start a single game.

Again, I don't mean to be making excuses for Keenum, but I saw enough in him to believe he has a future as a solid backup & possible starter if he's given the right coaching & put in the right system. I really like him, but can't shake the feeling he will be the odd man out.

kingtexan
06-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Yates, no brainer. He was only drafted because he ran the same system Gary used, in Butch Davis offense in NC. Case has a bigger upside, and could be thrown in for a wrinkle (wildcat style) if they wanted. It will be Yates.

Mr teX
06-12-2014, 12:32 PM
This doesn't deserve to be flamed. You have your opinion and others have theirs. That's cool. I think we all agree that Keenum didn't cut it last season. The only spot where some differ is some people would like to see if the potential that he did show can develop and can he overcome his deficiencies.

Now this post deserves to be flamed. No two ways about it, this is just stupid and inflammatory. This post basically says that BO'B is going to come in to a new situation and let the fan sentiment (of a VERY small segment, btw) dictate who he keeps on his roster. That ranks among the stupidest things typed in this forum in recent memory. But that's not even the worst part. What's worse is this is just a lame attempt to get ahead of the rationalization curve. You're setting yourself up to be able to rationalize why Keenum might be kept, in the event that he is. If he is kept on, it couldn't possibly be because BO'B sees something in him and/or thinks he's at least the third best QB on the roster. No, you're trying to set up a "just in case" scenario that establishes that BO'B would only keep Keenum because the all powerful UH alumni are pressuring him to do so.

Jeez, I wish I had as much actual power to influence NFL decisions as you just gave me credit for.

You've got your head so far up Keenum's ass you can't even admit that fan influence has some bearing on coaching decisions...& that is more sad and sillier than anything i typed in my last post b/c it shows your obvious bias. My post wasn't an attempt at anything other than to convey my thoughts on the hypocrisy of many of you Keenum sympathizers. You honestly make your cohorts (Hervy) look bad with this kinda crap.

& the worst part in your ridiculous rant is the bolded. All that crap is assumptions on your part. You have absolutely no clue about what i will think if he's kept.

Stop trying to be Ms. Cleo and stick to your day job.

badboy
06-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Did not vote as hoping a pick will again be offered for Yates resolving the issue.

drs23
06-12-2014, 12:43 PM
I can't see the future so I din't vote. That and it's pointless. Like Herv said: :deadhorse:

Doc Jean brings up some really good points though. O'Brien seems to be very thorough in every step he's taken to this point so it would really surprise me to find out that he wouldn't know about T.J.'s health issues. I would think that he would take that under consideration for the exact reasons Doc stated. If he's still having issues or the condition has become chronic it seems to me that it would show in his mechanics when he get's his chance at the rotation. I don't know at all how these go but O'Brien has stated that only three of the four are getting reps on a given day. I've been trying to figure out how he's been splitting them. One sitting out every third day? One of two sitting out every other day? idonno:, but I'd sure like to.

Again, not voting but I'd be of the mindset that if T.J. has fully recovered and doesn't have a chronic health issue that he'll make the cut. If he does or is showing signs of same then Kenuum would get the nod by default.

Then Vinny poses, what I think, is a possibly valid scenario and that's not an option on the poll...

76Texan
06-12-2014, 12:46 PM
I thought about wishing both boys luck, saying that I will cheer for either one who remains on the roster.
And I will.

But, some posts were kinda funny to me (no offense, guys), so I want to check out something about Yates as well, since we've been talking enough about Keenum.

Game 6 vs Packers, 2012.
3rd and 9.
Texans lined up in 11 spread.
They kept the RB back to block the 5-man rush.
Texans had sent the TE from right to left such that Posey was now the lone receiver on the right.
The Packers didn't bulge.
With 3 receivers on the left and only 2 defenders underneath, the Texans had advantage there.
You figure it's going to be an automatic completion with Captain check down, but no.
Despite seeing the LB right in front of him, Yates tried a pass over him to Posey on the right.
Ball tipped. INT.

Game 15 vs Vikings.
3rd and 9.
The Texans ran a hi-lo on the right with AJ going deep and Walter wide open underneath.
Easy enough for Captain check down.
No.
Despite Walter calling and calling for the ball.
Yates, after rolling out, hang on the ball and kept running.
He was chased from behind, tackled, and fumbled the ball.
Turnover.

Week 6 , 2013 vs Rams.
4th and 3 at the Rams 6.
With no pressure, Yates decided from the get go that he will force the ball to Graham, who was running straight into double coverage.
INT.
94-yd pick six.

Next series, 2nd and 10.
Texans in the red zone again with Graham having a couple of step on the defender who was totally vulnerable when he turned his back on the receiver, Yates rolled left and promptly threw the ball right to the defender.
INT; what else.

I mean, I don't hate Yates.
But, I certainly don't want to witness these things for the fourth straight year.
Can anybody blame me?

Corrosion
06-12-2014, 02:23 PM
But, I certainly don't want to witness these things for the fourth straight year.
Can anybody blame me?

If you expect much more than that from either Yates or Keenum at this point ... you have to be wearing rose colored glasses or are flat out delusional.

Neither is the solution at QB , Fitzmagic is a placeholder at best & Savage is a complete unknown commodity.

Worst case is that they get ~average~ play at QB , the defense has a stellar year and they win a few they shouldn't and have no shot at one of the top QB's next year without mortgaging the future.

Best case is Savage turns into the next Tom Brady and they got their QB of the future in the late 4th round.

Somewhere in between is a few W's and an early draft pick to land that future QB without selling the next years draft in the process.

xtruroyaltyx
06-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Can anybody blame me?

All those guys have positives and negatives when you watch the film.

BUT...I do think that Keenum and Savage have the highest upside. I think Keenum can be at least a good starter in the NFL.

I'm aware of his problems from last season, but I'm also aware of the positives he brought to the team. I just wish Kubiak had 100% committed to him once he put him in.

I think the positives Keenum bring are things that you want in a starting QB and the negatives he has are correctable. Especially with a better functioning offense around him which he should have this season.

corytx8
06-12-2014, 03:30 PM
You've got your head so far up Keenum's ass you can't even admit that fan influence has some bearing on coaching decisions...& that is more sad and sillier than anything i typed in my last post b/c it shows your obvious bias. My post wasn't an attempt at anything other than to convey my thoughts on the hypocrisy of many of you Keenum sympathizers. You honestly make your cohorts (Hervy) look bad with this kinda crap.

& the worst part in your ridiculous rant is the bolded. All that crap is assumptions on your part. You have absolutely no clue about what i will think if he's kept.

Stop trying to be Ms. Cleo and stick to your day job.

I completely disagree with the fans playing a role in decision making because if that's was the case then Manziel would have been drafted.

paycheck71
06-12-2014, 03:42 PM

That, I think, is one of the reasons he's going to get cut. If he's not appreciably better than Yates, than OB will want no part of the circus that a local undrafted QB superstar can potentially create.

Double Barrel
06-12-2014, 04:00 PM
I have nothing against Case, but I do seriously wonder how folks around here would perceive him if he was the UDFA QB from Wisconsin State.

I honestly think we've got four clipboard holders on the roster right now. Maybe they prove otherwise this season, but what I expect is to see a formidable defensive unit being built and a rather anemic offense that tries to avoid losing games.

Playoffs
06-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Chron.com's McClain and Brian T. Smith think Yates will be waived:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/06/video-mcclain-and-smith-talk-texans-quarterback-situation/

Marshall
06-12-2014, 04:10 PM
I like both Yates and Keenum and Savage is this years QB pick so i went with Fitz as the odd man out. But I really don't see them going with just 3 QBs before the first round of cuts. There are too many receivers who need someone to throw them the ball.

infantrycak
06-12-2014, 04:18 PM
I like both Yates and Keenum and Savage is this years QB pick so i went with Fitz as the odd man out. But I really don't see them going with just 3 QBs before the first round of cuts. There are too many receivers who need someone to throw them the ball.

The thing the coaches have been clearest on is they think 4 is too many.

Mr teX
06-12-2014, 04:31 PM
I completely disagree with the fans playing a role in decision making because if that's was the case then Manziel would have been drafted.

Right...but then we see Manziel drafted by a team whose owner reportedly was "convinced" by a bum on the street to draft Manziel....Then we hear that Manziel wasn't even the qb they were planning on drafting until the very last minute...Owner's are fans too. Just b/c their influence on the coach matters more than ours doesn't mean that it's no less fan influence that can affect coaching decisions.

You don't think Schaub getting booed at home for his poor performances didn't influence the owner/coach into blowing right by Yates and starting Keenum? What coach skips over his 2nd string qb to go to his 3rd string qb?

Everyone remember the offseason of 2011? Fans were in an uproar because of how bad Frank Bush's defense was. I remember seeing fans on the news threatening not to support the team anymore if a credible defensive mind (not another one of Kubiak's cronies) wasn't brought in to fix the team's defense. Some time later Wade Phillips was spotted entering Reliant.

People like to act like McNair isn't a fan of this team and he doesn't hear the fans; trust, he does. What's more is the people around him who are fans of the team & have considerable influence on him hear us too. It's not a stretch at all to believe that fan influence might have at least a little something to do with Keenum staying on board here. Obviously he'll have to show a little something to warrant sticking around but the fanfare could very well be the deciding factor between he and Yates who both are pretty much the same guy in terms of upside imo.

CloakNNNdagger
06-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Chron.com's McClain and Brian T. Smith think Yates will be waived:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/06/video-mcclain-and-smith-talk-texans-quarterback-situation/

The link (trying IE 11 and Firefox) takes me to the title.......but only has a 200 count slide show.......no discussion???????

Number19
06-12-2014, 05:09 PM
The link (trying IE 11 and Firefox) takes me to the title.......but only has a 200 count slide show.......no discussion???????I use Firefox. There's a commercial above the slideshow. I don't believe there are any controls and it takes a bit of time with nothing happening, then the commercial self loads. When the commercial completes, the discussion will self load. That's how it worked for me.

Playoffs
06-12-2014, 05:14 PM
The link (trying IE 11 and Firefox) takes me to the title.......but only has a 200 count slide show.......no discussion???????It's a video.

Nothing earth-shattering in there, no "new" news. Smith likes Case as a change of pace to Fitz/Savage. McClain going with home town guy, but throwing it in there that we might snatch another QB off the waiver-wire since we're first in line.

76Texan
06-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Just more speculation; as if we don't have enough of that already, LOL.

Malloy
06-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Also interesting, WHEN the odd man out will be let go...?

76Texan
06-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Wade Smith makes excuses for Keenum:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/06/09/why-does-houston-have-such-a-hate-for-matt-schaub/

The Play button is on the bottom left.

Goldensilence
06-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Here's two things I feel confident saying : Fitz will, barring some miracle turnaround by Keenum and Yates will be the starter. Savage will be one of three they keep.

I think the most important question is where does Savage stand in the mix after TC. Does he look closer to backup or still too raw? If he's closer to backup, prolly bodes better for Keenum cause he's got more upside to stay on that third spot. If too raw, I'd prolly give the edge to Yates on possibly being more steady in pocket.

Either way I think if the team gets mediocre qb play it could surprise.

legacy_gt
06-12-2014, 06:53 PM
I think who will be cut will be the person who has shown the least potential in the new system.

I've seen enough of Yates. He's been in this league long enough while Keenum has basically played as a thrown in rookie last year that I know will improve. So IMHO Yates will be cut.

Weather it's Keenum or Yates, the person picked to stay is because he's shown more upside and has played better, and has an IQ that the coach is looking for.

Mr teX
06-12-2014, 07:21 PM
I think who will be cut will be the person who has shown the least potential in the new system.

I've seen enough of Yates. He's been in this league long enough while Keenum has basically played as a thrown in rookie last year that I know will improve. So IMHO Yates will be cut.

Weather it's Keenum or Yates, the person picked to stay is because he's shown more upside and has played better, and has an IQ that the coach is looking for.

This is funny b/c Yates actually was a true rookie who was thrown into the fire when he played his 6 games in 2011. Meanwhile, Keenum had a whole year to sit on the practice squad to get ready to even be able to compete....and didn't look much better.

Texan_Bill
06-12-2014, 07:30 PM
My vote was Keenum (unfortunately). I don't think he's BOB's type of QB. That said, I don't think Yates is either and both guys have playing time. Yates has won a couple of big games and therefore a little more battle tested.

The argument to my above opinion might be that Yates may (or may not be) a little more expensive.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

AngryNateFTW
06-12-2014, 07:35 PM
Yates fits what BOB is looking for more than Keenum but who offers me more on Sunday? Keenum.

Seegara
06-12-2014, 07:35 PM
I think Yates fits the mold that OB looks for in a QB and according to rumors, they had an offer for a late round pick in the last draft for Yates and declined. <snip>
Until we have a direct quote from a team insider, I have to believe it's just that, a rumor. They couldn't be crazy enough to refuse a pick in exchange for Yates.

Norg
06-12-2014, 07:44 PM
prob keenum Yates is more of a OB type of QB chase is not

Should be both IMO

we should start the season with only 2 QBS Fitz and savage

hradhak
06-12-2014, 09:38 PM
I don't think Savage will be the #2 on this team until midseason. He's a little too raw at this point. That leaves either Keenum or Yates as the #2 and the other on the street. I would be very surprised if Yates makes the team over Keenum. I just don't think Yates has enough talent.

I also don't think Keenum will be the long term answer at backup. My guess is that he'll stay on the roster to appease the homers and then get cut after the season. Here's to hoping that Savage becomes a stud while learning the system and can take over the starting role late in the season / next year (or show us enough to know we need to draft a QB)

badboy
06-12-2014, 10:00 PM
That, I think, is one of the reasons he's going to get cut. If he's not appreciably better than Yates, than OB will want no part of the circus that a local undrafted QB superstar can potentially create.

Lots of people go to circus enjoy and spend lots of money. What NFL owner does not want that? QB (or any position) controversy does not have to be a negative especially with strong coaches. Also why does a player have to be "appreciably" better to be selected? Yates and Keenum costs and age are about equal so could not a "slightly" or even a"minuscule" better player be selected, especially if O'Brien is as smart as it is said? Not trying to play word games but I don't think any of the QBs have to be much better than others to be on roster, with maybe the exception of Savage but even then if the other three are better, store him and if he is taken, so be it.

Texan_Bill
06-12-2014, 10:14 PM
prob keenum Yates is more of a OB type of QB chase is not

Should be both IMO

we should start the season with only 2 QBS Fitz and savage

:gun:
What the what??? This is crazy, even for you Norg!! WTH are you trying to say??

thunderkyss
06-13-2014, 07:41 AM

So, either OB does not have control of the 53 man roster, or he's not the man for the job? Is that about right?

thunderkyss
06-13-2014, 07:50 AM
Keenum. Let him find a new home maybe Baltimore or Cleveland let him test the market for better situation now so that he can catch on with another team.

We've got to have one of the worst QB situations in the league. I don't understand why anyone would pick up any of these guys when we cut him. They'll be picking a guy who couldn't beat out a back-up's back-up.

thunderkyss
06-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Thing is its not just BO'B .... its the other Bob too and he has a mancrush on Keenum. He for all intents and purposes gave the last HC an ultimatum to play Keenum ....

I think McNair had his eye on a particular Gamecock & wanted to make sure we were in position to nab him.

thunderkyss
06-13-2014, 08:23 AM
I thought about wishing both boys luck, saying that I will cheer for either one who remains on the roster.
And I will.

But, some posts were kinda funny to me (no offense, guys), so I want to check out something about Yates as well, since we've been talking enough about Keenum.

Can anybody blame me?

You can break down Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, & Aaron Rodgers & find mistakes. No doubt you can find more mistakes per snap for Tj Yates.

But you can't find one mistake made by Case Keenum.

:thinking:

thunderkyss
06-13-2014, 08:47 AM
I have nothing against Case, but I do seriously wonder how folks around here would perceive him if he was the UDFA QB from Wisconsin State.

I was interested in Timmy Chang coming out of Hawaii. I wanted to see him get a shot in the NFL, but he could never make it out of training camp.

Just like Vince & Johnny, any time a kid makes some noise in college, I want to see him in the pros (I can't follow college football); Vick, Peyton, all the way back to Kosar)... some make it, some don't. I think Case & Kolb did just as much at the college level at that level.

Didn't matter to me where they come from, I want to see them play in the NFL. Being that they come from Texas I do root for them to succeed, but I'll call a spade a spade.

Still think Kubiak could have ran all over the NFL with Kevin Kolb.

I honestly think we've got four clipboard holders on the roster right now. Maybe they prove otherwise this season, but what I expect is to see a formidable defensive unit being built and a rather anemic offense that tries to avoid losing games.

I think some QBs have it & can be instantly successful in the NFL. Others would do great if they had a solid team under them for a few years. Peyton Manning was one of t he former. His team didn't win a lot, but there was no doubt he could play this game at this level. Tom Brady was the latter. He was a game manager for three years, at the same time he studied & eventually mastered the game.

I know that Tj & Case aren't the Peyton Manning type. I'd like to see if they can become game managers, then maybe progress from there. Actually, I've seen enough from Tj to make me believe he can be that game manager for us.

ChampionTexan
06-13-2014, 08:59 AM
We've got to have one of the worst QB situations in the league. I don't understand why anyone would pick up any of these guys when we cut him. They'll be picking a guy who couldn't beat out a back-up's back-up.

You mean you don't think that Gary Kubiak anxiously awaits each and every waiver wire report hoping against hope that he can start the campaign with Ozzie and Harbaugh to claim Case on waivers?

DBCooper
06-13-2014, 09:15 AM
Blah blah QB blah blah Keenum blah blah blah

Lucky
06-13-2014, 09:25 AM
We've got to have one of the worst QB situations in the league.
The Texans don't have a frontline starter. But, they have several backups. There are teams out there who could use a Texan QB as a backup.

disaacks3
06-13-2014, 10:01 AM
The Texans don't have a frontline starter. But, they have several backups. There are teams out there who could use a Texan QB as a backup. If only we could trade one for a starter. :kitten:

Lucky
06-13-2014, 11:02 AM
If only we could trade one for a starter. :kitten:
One of the reasons to hire a QB guru like O'Brien is that he can supposedly develop one. I'm willing to see if he can do just that.

CretorFrigg
06-13-2014, 11:09 AM
One of the reasons to hire a QB guru like O'Brien is that he can supposedly develop one. I'm willing to see if he can do just that.

Isn't that what they said about Kubiak as well?

False Start
06-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Even though he carries my family name, I think it will be Yates. I really dont want to give up on Case just yet.

legacy_gt
06-13-2014, 11:50 AM
This is funny b/c Yates actually was a true rookie who was thrown into the fire when he played his 6 games in 2011. Meanwhile, Keenum had a whole year to sit on the practice squad to get ready to even be able to compete....and didn't look much better.

2011 and all this time and yates hasn't learned much everytime he's had his chances. as far as keenum, many are wondering if he's learned anything either. time will tell and still think yates will be cut.

thunderkyss
06-13-2014, 11:50 AM

I thought Kubiak did a good job with Carr & Rosenfels. He got good production from both of them with very little time/work invested. He also ascertained in a short amount of time, that it wasn't worth further investment for the likely returns.

Then there was Schaub. Not a whole lot of talent there, but Kubiak was able to get "elite" like production out of him.

Problems there, we missed four years of Schaub's prime years while he sat on Atlanta's bench, Schaub's window closed a whole lot quicker than it should have, Kubiak's back up plan got superceeded, & he had to do his thing on the fly with Super Bowl expectations on his mind (& heart).

If OB can get out the production out of Fitz/Case/Yates/Savage that Kubiak got out of Carr/Sage/Schaub... things may not be so bad.

thunderkyss
06-13-2014, 11:54 AM
2011 and all this time and yates hasn't learned much everytime he's had his chances. as far as keenum, many are wondering if he's learned anything either. time will tell and still think yates will be cut.

It would have been nice to see Tj for eight games, couldn't have been much worse than 0-8. What little bit of Yates we did see didn't look too bad to me. 2 INTs in a game we were getting our butts handed to us any way...

But he was throwing the ball well, & working the offense.

76Texan
06-13-2014, 11:55 AM
You can break down Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, & Aaron Rodgers & find mistakes. No doubt you can find more mistakes per snap for Tj Yates.

But you can't find one mistake made by Case Keenum.

:thinking:

Not biting, LOL.

I'm sure there are plenty of posts of mine where I mentioned his mistakes.
I can't be repeating myself all the time.

Just use the search function.

thunderkyss
06-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Not biting, LOL.

I'm sure there are plenty of posts of mine where I mentioned his mistakes.
I can't be repeating myself all the time.

Just use the search function.

As useful as the search function is, you've got a rep around here, one you've worked pretty hard to get. My statement may not be 100% accurate, but I think most people know where I'm coming from.

& honestly, if you want my opinion, it's a waste. I think you've got a good football mind & before Case, I used to enjoy talking football with you (we were often on the same side), I enjoyed following your QB breakdown before the 2012 season & was optimistic about landing Case as an UDFA, but since then it's as if you've lost all objectivity.

I would have loved to hear your take on the 2014 QB draft. Would've loved to hear how the top prospects compared to the QBs on our roster. However, after you came back, I realized it would have been a waste & nothing more than a "Case is better than all these mofos" campaign.

76Texan
06-13-2014, 12:05 PM
I thought Kubiak did a good job with Carr & Rosenfels. He got good production from both of them with very little time/work invested. He also ascertained in a short amount of time, that it wasn't worth further investment for the likely returns.

Then there was Schaub. Not a whole lot of talent there, but Kubiak was able to get "elite" like production out of him.

Problems there, we missed four years of Schaub's prime years while he sat on Atlanta's bench, Schaub's window closed a whole lot quicker than it should have, Kubiak's back up plan got superceeded, & he had to do his thing on the fly with Super Bowl expectations on his mind (& heart).

If OB can get out the production out of Fitz/Case/Yates/Savage that Kubiak got out of Carr/Sage/Schaub... things may not be so bad.

Schaub might have been a third round draft pick, but he had been in the league for awhile.
Kubiak/Smith saw enough of him to be willing to trade the equivalence of the 22nd pick or so.
They also gave him a big contract on top of that..

Then they re-upped him with an even bigger contract.

Somebody has to be responsible for his play besides Schaub himself.

Whether they got enough out of it all depends on each fans perspective.

In my eyes, they fell short.
I can't say that I saw Kubiak as a QB's guru.

Mediocre to fair is the most I can agree with.

76Texan
06-13-2014, 12:12 PM
I've already given my opinions on the vast majority of QB'S pre-draft.

I said I saw Mariota at the top of the prospect list, and I hope that he comes out.

I would rather that the Texans traded away the top pick to stock pile on future draft picks in order to trade up in the future, in 2015, if they can.

I also gave some suggestions on guys if the Texans didn't want to wait, even though I would rather that they don't.

If you want a hell of a prospect, save up your farm.

It's Bob's first year anyway; he's going to get some slack

badboy
06-13-2014, 12:26 PM
I've already given my opinions on the vast majority of QB'S pre-draft.

I said I saw Mariota at the top of the prospect list, and I hope that he comes out.

I would rather that the Texans traded away the top pick to stock pile on future draft picks in order to trade up in the future, in 2015, if they can.

I also gave some suggestions on guys if the Texans didn't want to wait, even though I would rather that they don't.

If you want a hell of a prospect, save up your farm.

It's Bob's first year anyway; he's going to get some slackIf Winston avoids legal trouble, I like him and Mariotta with Hundley and Bryce a liitle bit later. Your thoughts?

kingtexan
06-13-2014, 12:30 PM
If Winston avoids legal trouble, I like him and Mariotta with Hundley and Bryce a liitle bit later. Your thoughts?

Winston is an illiterate rapist. Mariotta I could see if he does well again this year and makes strides.

Double Barrel
06-13-2014, 03:38 PM
I think some QBs have it & can be instantly successful in the NFL. Others would do great if they had a solid team under them for a few years. Peyton Manning was one of t he former. His team didn't win a lot, but there was no doubt he could play this game at this level. Tom Brady was the latter. He was a game manager for three years, at the same time he studied & eventually mastered the game.

According to Peyton Manning, all good QBs are so-called "game managers".

And I have to disagree with you about Brady. His first four years in the league as starter (including 2001), he had 17 fourth quarter comebacks/game-winning drives (Source (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=BradTo00)). Many of those were in the post season, including Super Bowls. Any QB that is clutch and can consistently produce game winning drives is more than just a "game manager" in the sense that you are using it.

Heck, just look at that first Super Bowl vs. the Rams. Patriots tied 17-17, get the ball on the 17 with 1:21 on the clock. Brady marches them down the field with all passes to get them in FG position to win the game. That's not Trent Dilferish game manager. That was a sign of clutch and greatness in his first season as a starter.

Lucky
06-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Winston is an illiterate rapist.
So if Winston could read and write, you'd be OK with him?

Kubiak couldn't fix Carr. But he did an OK job with Schaub before the foot injury. I'm sure he'll end up helping Flacco. I just don't think he was a NFL head coach.

Mr teX
06-13-2014, 04:25 PM

yates playing time since 2011:

2012 - none
2013 - 1 half of football in an out of control game

So where's all this playing time Yates has had to show what he's learned?

76Texan
06-13-2014, 06:22 PM
yates playing time since 2011:

2012 - none
2013 - 1 half of football in an out of control game

So where's all this playing time Yates has had to show what he's learned?

You want to check the records again.
Yates played in 3 games in 2012, and 2 games in 2013.

The additional learning comes from being the second string QB who would see some snaps with the first string each week and all the reps with the second string instead of running the scout team.

By starting 6 full games in 2012, Yates got plenty of times with the first string already.
While Case was busy running the scout team for over a year, Yates had the time to learn and take mental reps within Kubiak's offense.

Coming in those second half situTions, he would see more backups from the opponents than normally.

Those are times to learn like Schaub did in Atlanta, when he was the backup.

The games are supposed to be easier, yet he still made mistakes after mistakes.

Did you listen or read what he had to say about last year?
He said he blew his chance.

Playoffs
06-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Yates took 50 snaps in 3 games in 2013 and 23 snaps in 4 games in 2012.

76Texan
06-13-2014, 06:30 PM
It would have been nice to see Tj for eight games, couldn't have been much worse than 0-8. What little bit of Yates we did see didn't look too bad to me. 2 INTs in a game we were getting our butts handed to us any way...

But he was throwing the ball well, & working the offense.
Sure, if you count throwing to the opponents as good throws.
Working the offense is to get the ball to a wide open Walter who was calling for it right in front of him, not keeping the ball and try to run with it only to lose it on a fumble.

3 INTs and a lost fumble with 3 sacks in 32 attempts.
That's the equivalence of at least 48 INTs and 48 sacks over the course of one full season, at the minimum.
That is unless the offense consists.of just running the ball.

76Texan
06-13-2014, 06:32 PM

I don't count kneeling down to end a game or the equivalence as a snap. :good:

ObsiWan
06-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Blah blah QB blah blah Keenum blah blah blah
Link?
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/bd8.gif

Playoffs
06-13-2014, 06:54 PM
I don't count kneeling down to end a game or the equivalence as a snap. :good:
Have you ever knelt down as a QB in a college NFL game? It's not easy. :truck:

Future NFL QB here: http://youtu.be/jQz4BFbgARI?t=1s

Thorn
06-13-2014, 10:07 PM

Yes, they did. We're trying again. It's all part of the giving the new coach slack his first year. Right now I'm an O'Brien fan, just like I was once a Kubiak fan. Kubiak tried to screw me without Vaseline and now I hate him. If O'Brien does that, then I'll hate him.

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

76Texan
06-14-2014, 12:24 AM
Have you ever knelt down as a QB in a college NFL game? It's not easy. :truck:

Future NFL QB here: http://youtu.be/jQz4BFbgARI?t=1s

Why I can't never never ever be an NFL QB. :texanbill:

76Texan
06-14-2014, 12:25 AM
Yes, they did. We're trying again. It's all part of the giving the new coach slack his first year. Right now I'm an O'Brien fan, just like I was once a Kubiak fan. Kubiak tried to screw me without Vaseline and now I hate him. If O'Brien does that, then I'll hate him.

Tried to or did?
:butterfly:

Hottoddie
06-14-2014, 03:14 AM

Soooo........, are you saying if he had vaseline it would've been okay? :D

J/K

Marshall
06-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Sure, if you count throwing to the opponents as good throws.
Working the offense is to get the ball to a wide open Walter who was calling for it right in front of him, not keeping the ball and try to run with it only to lose it on a fumble.

3 INTs and a lost fumble with 3 sacks in 32 attempts.
That's the equivalence of at least 48 INTs and 48 sacks over the course of one full season, at the minimum.
That is unless the offense consists.of just running the ball.

That is the oldest mistake in the book. You can't extrapolate things like this from such a small sample size under extraordinary situations.

Marshall
06-14-2014, 06:30 AM
I think McNair had his eye on a particular Gamecock & wanted to make sure we were in position to nab him.

That was your first mistake.

76Texan
06-14-2014, 05:22 PM
That is the oldest mistake in the book. You can't extrapolate things like this from such a small sample size under extraordinary situations.

IMO, a coach wants to see progress from year to year.

I believe that if Yates had not make those mental mistakes, he would have gotten the starts, not Keenum.

That said, everyone gets a clean slate.
I hope they all improve and I will cheer for the ones on the 53-man roster.
It's a game and I like to enjoy it rather than to see them struggling.

kingtexan
06-15-2014, 09:18 AM
So if Winston could read and write, you'd be OK with him?

No. Did you miss the whole rapist part?

Mr teX
06-16-2014, 07:53 AM

exactly which breaks down to:

5 snaps in 4 games for 2013..

Lol at him counting "mental" reps. People watching the team during training camp get mental reps...guess we can count them all as having gotten plenty of time to learn how to play qb in the NFL too then huh?

ObsiWan
06-16-2014, 08:52 AM

Lol at him counting "mental" reps. People watching the team during training camp get mental reps...guess we can count them all as having gotten plenty of time to learn how to play qb in the NFL too then huh?
They don't have the playbook. So it (watching the team) doesn't count if you don't know what you're looking at.

76Texan
06-16-2014, 10:56 AM

You missed an important Zero after the number 5.

If Yates had made that many mistakes in just 5 snaps, I doubted that he's still with the team.

kingtexan
06-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Yates, no brainer. He was only drafted because he ran the same system Gary used, in Butch Davis offense in NC. Case has a bigger upside, and could be thrown in for a wrinkle (wildcat style) if they wanted. It will be Yates.

So it is ...

DBCooper
06-18-2014, 08:25 AM
So it is ...

http://global3.memecdn.com/toot-my-own-horn_o_239627.jpg

The Pencil Neck
06-18-2014, 10:28 AM
I admit. I wuz worng.

HOU-TEX
06-18-2014, 10:51 AM
I admit. I wuz worng.

Me too, but imo, it's like picking the worst looking turd of the bunch. In the end, they're all still going to be turds

Mr teX
06-18-2014, 10:57 AM
I knew TJ was likely the odd guy out...he was the guy least freshest in everyone's mind in terms of play on the field....he was the guy everyone says had the least upside. The 2 reasons above also didn't jive well with the fact that he was to be the 2nd highest paid qb on the roster. No brainer really.

Hottoddie
06-18-2014, 12:13 PM
I'm glad it turned out this way. I like Case a lot & think he has a future as a backup & the potential to be a starter someday. However, I don't think he's out of the woods just yet. Depending upon who gets released, Case could still be let go later. He's on the bubble right now & can't let up even a little bit yet.

Playoffs
06-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Case Keenum: "Still have to get better" (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Case-Keenum-Still-have-to-get-better/29f9b047-753b-4f3f-8a81-433f3c07cd7b)
Part one of three. Keenum addresses Yates being released, and more

Keenum: "I've got to prove myself" (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Keenum-Ive-got-to-prove-myself/f31f1e67-70b6-4b48-a13d-8831b6a39bf2)
In part two of three, Keenum addresses what sets him apart, how the offense is different than last year and more.

Keenum: "I'm my harshest critic" (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Keenum-Im-my-harshest-critic/60f0fde9-4733-415d-a71c-bc267184cc41)
In part three of three, Keenum says he has a long way to go, competing with the other QBs, UofH coach Art Briles, and more.

CloakNNNdagger
06-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Case Keenum: "Still have to get better" (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Case-Keenum-Still-have-to-get-better/29f9b047-753b-4f3f-8a81-433f3c07cd7b)

Keenum: "I've got to prove myself" (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Keenum-Ive-got-to-prove-myself/f31f1e67-70b6-4b48-a13d-8831b6a39bf2)

Keenum: "I'm my harshest critic" (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Keenum-Im-my-harshest-critic/60f0fde9-4733-415d-a71c-bc267184cc41)

Thanks for posting. The young man demonstrates honest insight.

76Texan
06-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Thanks for posting. The young man demonstrates honest insight.

It's one of the very important character trait that I saw in Keenum that I like.

On the field, of the field.
From my observation, he's never shown a displeasure of a blocker missing a block or a receiver dropping a pass or running a different route than he anticipates.

In every interview, even in college, he always took the brunt.
It's never "we can play better"; it's always " I should play better".

With that attitude, even if he doesn't become a starter in the NFL, I believe he will contribute to society.

steelbtexan
06-18-2014, 08:51 PM
It's one of the very important character trait that I saw in Keenum that I like.

On the field, of the field.
From my observation, he's never shown a displeasure of a blocker missing a block or a receiver dropping a pass or running a different route than he anticipates.

In every interview, even in college, he always took the brunt.
It's never "we can play better"; it's always " I should play better".

With that attitude, even if he doesn't become a starter in the NFL, I believe he will contribute to society.

I agree with you on Keenum.

Even though Keenum becoming a great QB means more to me than his contributions to society. LOL

He will do just fine after he's thru with the NFL. Probably will become a HS/College HC.

Texan_Bill
06-18-2014, 09:02 PM
I got this one WAAAAY wrong. I thought Keenum would be gone for sure.

While I didn't feel that either TJ or Case were BOB's kind of guys, I thought that BOB would take Yates over Keenum, given Yates playoff experience.

Meh, sometimes I like being wrong.

NCTexan
06-18-2014, 09:50 PM
PDS ‏@PatDStat 3m

According to @ProFootballTalk the #Texans have traded T.J. Yates to the Atlanta Falcons for LB Akeem Dent.

Hottoddie
06-18-2014, 11:13 PM
How ironic would it be if they both become the backup to their respective starting QB's?:bravo:

thunderkyss
06-19-2014, 07:00 AM
On yesterday's Koch & Kalu (http://www.sports790.com/media/podcast-koch-kalu-koch_and_kalu/wednesday-june-18th-2014-24919879/) Pat Starr reported that Fitz & Savage were getting most of the snaps during OTAs, Case & Tj were alternating days when they took snaps & days when they didn't.

The deck seems stacked against the Coog.

CloakNNNdagger
06-19-2014, 07:45 AM
On yesterday's Koch & Kalu (http://www.sports790.com/media/podcast-koch-kalu-koch_and_kalu/wednesday-june-18th-2014-24919879/) Pat Starr reported that Fitz & Savage were getting most of the snaps during OTAs, Case & Tj were alternating days when they took snaps & days when they didn't.

The deck seems stacked against the Coog.

Looks like they don't care too much for Fitzpatrick........no more than 6 wins in any season he was a starter.

Another interesting point they brought out. That million dollar roster bonus that AJ lost increases our cap by a million, if it is not renegotiated if AJ returns.

PapaL
06-19-2014, 08:42 AM
I got this one WAAAAY wrong. I thought Keenum would be gone for sure.

While I didn't feel that either TJ or Case were BOB's kind of guys, I thought that BOB would take Yates over Keenum, given Yates playoff experience.

Meh, sometimes I like being wrong.

Technically this is still in play. Keenum could still be the player that is waived since Yates was traded. Lets see how it plays out in preseason.

Playoffs
06-19-2014, 09:38 AM
Technically this is still in play. Keenum could still be the player that is waived since Yates was traded. Lets see how it plays out in preseason.

Hmmm... :thinking:

CloakNNNdagger
06-19-2014, 09:47 AM

Hmmm... :thinking:

That takes for granted that Fitzpatrick is something other than what he has been in the past, that Keenum is what he has been in the past, and the Texans pick up someone on the waiver wire that they think can be brought up to snuff in a timely fashion to surpass Keenum, or that they will choose to only keep 2 QBs (not likely).

HOU-TEX
06-19-2014, 10:01 AM
That takes for granted that Fitzpatrick is something other than what he has been in the past, that Keenum is what he has been in the past, and the Texans pick up someone on the waiver wire that they think can be brought up to snuff in a timely fashion to surpass Keenum, or that they will choose to only keep 2 QBs (not likely).

I think there's a very good chance of that happening. If McGroin is cut I think we'd be all over him. There might be a few QBs cut that we rate higher than Keenum, which shouldn't be that high imo

RT22
06-19-2014, 10:21 AM
I still believe that O'brien doesn't like his back up QB options and will move both Yates (traded) and Keenum some how. I believe he wants to acquire McGloin from the Raiders as he is currently 3rd on the dept chart.

CloakNNNdagger
06-19-2014, 10:27 AM
I think there's a very good chance of that happening. If McGroin is cut I think we'd be all over him. There might be a few QBs cut that we rate higher than Keenum, which shouldn't be that high imo

IMHO, the Raiders would be foolish to go into the season with only 2 QBs. As good as Carr has looked thus far, he has not faced live bullets. Schaub has significant reliability questions after the past 2 seasons and, in addition, likely to "degenerate" quickly when played.

Norg
06-19-2014, 01:41 PM
IMHO, the Raiders would be foolish to go into the season with only 2 QBs. As good as Carr has looked thus far, he has not faced live bullets. Schaub has significant reliability questions after the past 2 seasons and, in addition, likely to "degenerate" quickly when played.

sometimes u gotta gamble there is wut only like 53 spots

so not wasting one spot on a 3rd string QB who will prob never see the field to a position other then QB who could prob see the field a hole lot would help

that's u hope your starting QB can play well and stay healthy the hole season would be best

the perfect thing for bob would prob be Fitz #1 Mcgolin #2 and Savage on practice squad

badboy
06-19-2014, 01:46 PM
what about mcgloin is a turn on? 6'1 & avg stats if that http://www.nfl.com/player/mattmcgloin/2542065/profile

The Pencil Neck
06-19-2014, 01:46 PM
what about mcgloin is a turn on? 6'1 & avg stats if that http://www.nfl.com/player/mattmcgloin/2542065/profile

The fact that he spent a year playing for OB already. Nothing much else.

76Texan
06-19-2014, 03:04 PM
The fact that he spent a year playing for OB already. Nothing much else.

That and the fact that he looks like Superman against the Texans D.

They will wait and trade him or cut him after week 2 though. :kitten:

Playoffs
06-19-2014, 03:16 PM

Smart, over-achiever, good arm, knows OB's scheme... walked on at Penn State and led them to 8-4 in OB's first year. In his first season in O’Brien’s offense, McGloin led the Big Ten with 3,266 passing yards while completing 61 of his passes, to go along with an impressive 24:5 touchdown to interception ratio. (He also ran for five touchdowns.)

Solid backup material who's highest/best use is with O'Brien.

eriadoc
06-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Smart, over-achiever, good arm, knows OB's scheme... walked on at Penn State and led them to 8-4 in OB's first year. In his first season in O’Brien’s offense, McGloin led the Big Ten with 3,266 passing yards while completing 61 of his passes, to go along with an impressive 24:5 touchdown to interception ratio. (He also ran for five touchdowns.)

Solid backup material who's highest/best use is with O'Brien.

How is McGloin any better than Keenum? Citing college stats doesn't support that. The fact that he played in O'Brien's system? The one that lost to Keenum's Cougars? *shrug*

Not saying Keenum's all that, but cutting Keenum for McGloin seems silly, TBH.

Playoffs
06-19-2014, 03:36 PM
How is McGloin any better than Keenum?

That determination will be made by O'Brien.

PapaL
06-20-2014, 07:18 AM
How is McGloin any better than Keenum? Citing college stats doesn't support that. The fact that he played in O'Brien's system? The one that lost to Keenum's Cougars? *shrug*

Not saying Keenum's all that, but cutting Keenum for McGloin seems silly, TBH.

Well, he's won ONE game in the NFL as opposed to Keenum's ZERO. Against Keenum, at Keenum's home stadium. How's that for quoting relevant stats?

Both turds being equal, one has experience in the system and the other doesn't. Which turd do you think might be more beneficial to the team?

revan
06-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Well, he's won ONE game in the NFL as opposed to Keenum's ZERO. Against Keenum, at Keenum's home stadium. How's that for quoting relevant stats?

Both turds being equal, one has experience in the system and the other doesn't. Which turd do you think might be more beneficial to the team?

The turd with no pieces of corn in it.

thunderkyss
06-20-2014, 07:34 AM
Looks like they don't care too much for Fitzpatrick........no more than 6 wins in any season he was a starter.

What is it about Fitz & Savage taking the majority of the snaps that makes you think they don't care much for Fitzpatrick?

I still believe that O'brien doesn't like his back up QB options and will move both Yates (traded) and Keenum some how. I believe he wants to acquire McGloin from the Raiders as he is currently 3rd on the dept chart.

How many times does a coach in the NFL go after his QB from college? The only reason they were his starting QB in college was because he was the best he had available to him at the time, once he gets to the NFL, he's got more options.

Like Pete Caroll had absolutely no interest in either Carson Palmer or Matt Lienart when he got to the NFL. Maybe he felt they were overachievers, maybe he felt like they limited his offense too much, maybe he felt they were high maintenance.

If OB had his eyes on McGloin, if he thought he was worth getting, he'd have been got, especially considering McGloin is not in the Raiders' plan for their future.

CloakNNNdagger
06-20-2014, 08:31 AM
What is it about Fitz & Savage taking the majority of the snaps that makes you think they don't care much for Fitzpatrick?

How many times does a coach in the NFL go after his QB from college? The only reason they were his starting QB in college was because he was the best he had available to him at the time, once he gets to the NFL, he's got more options.

Like Pete Caroll had absolutely no interest in either Carson Palmer or Matt Lienart when he got to the NFL. Maybe he felt they were overachievers, maybe he felt like they limited his offense too much, maybe he felt they were high maintenance.

If OB had his eyes on McGloin, if he thought he was worth getting, he'd have been got, especially considering McGloin is not in the Raiders' plan for their future.

I was commenting of the link you posted, referring to the broadcasters' comments re. Fitzpatrick.

thunderkyss
06-21-2014, 07:53 AM
I was commenting of the link you posted, referring to the broadcasters' comments re. Fitzpatrick.

My bad, you're right, Koch & Kalu don't particularly care for Fitz.