PDA

View Full Version : Do Texans have an enforcer?

badboy
05-29-2014, 08:11 PM
A guy who would get some pay back for unnecessary hits by the opposing team? Hits that were maybe not penalized by refs? I think Antonio Smith was this guy for a while although some of his actions resulted in flags. Unlike baseball where the pitcher can get some retribution, has football gotten away from that? Did it ever really exist? I remember defensive linemen and linebackers giving extra push or punch to a QB that was down. NFL is protecting QB much more now. I am talking about plays that happened to Schaub's foot or the kick to his groin. Guys that say you hit one of my guys after whistle blew, or threw illegal block or out of bounds so I will get you back.

I am interested in your thoughts.

LikeMike
05-29-2014, 08:15 PM
Cushing.

Txn_in_Oki
05-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Incognito is without a team right now.

:kitten:

AngryNateFTW
05-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Nope. Can't think of one off the top of my head.. :thinking:

http://www.dudelol.com/DO-NOT-HOTLINK-IMAGES/Cortland-finnegan-is-now-named-Corltand-Innegan-because-Andre-Johnson-beat-the-F-out-of-him.gif

badboy
05-29-2014, 08:32 PM
Cushing.
Tough? Absolutely but an enforcer? Not sure I believe that not recall Brian hitting anyone in a get you back mode. Can you give example or clarify your opinion?

CloakNNNdagger
05-29-2014, 09:06 PM
It would seem to me at this point that more likely Cushing would need his own personal enforcer.

Corrosion
05-29-2014, 09:09 PM
Nope. Can't think of one off the top of my head.. :thinking:

http://www.dudelol.com/DO-NOT-HOTLINK-IMAGES/Cortland-finnegan-is-now-named-Corltand-Innegan-because-Andre-Johnson-beat-the-F-out-of-him.gif

That was more of an "I'm sick of your sh!t one time thing" not an "enforcer."

Ninja played that role for the past couple years here .... but got caught more often than not.

Glover Quin .... Sucks he's in Detroit.

Swearinger strikes me as that "take no sh!t kinda player "....

CloakNNNdagger
05-29-2014, 10:08 PM
That was more of an "I'm sick of your sh!t one time thing" not an "enforcer."

Ninja played that role for the past couple years here .... but got caught more often than not.

Glover Quin .... Sucks he's in Detroit.

Swearinger strikes me as that "take no sh!t kinda player "....

At this point in time, Swearinger has not proven he can control is sh!it. Until then, he remains a liability.

DocBar
05-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Not since Pollard, imo. Swearinger could fit that mold, but CnD nailed it pretty good on him. What do you expect from good character, high motor guys?:cool:

Carr Bombed
05-29-2014, 10:37 PM
A guy who would get some pay back for unnecessary hits by the opposing team? Hits that were maybe not penalized by refs? I think Antonio Smith was this guy for a while although some of his actions resulted in flags. Unlike baseball where the pitcher can get some retribution, has football gotten away from that? Did it ever really exist? I remember defensive linemen and linebackers giving extra push or punch to a QB that was down. NFL is protecting QB much more now. I am talking about plays that happened to Schaub's foot or the kick to his groin. Guys that say you hit one of my guys after whistle blew, or threw illegal block or out of bounds so I will get you back.

I am interested in your thoughts.

Antonio Smith was never a "enforcer" given the definition you gave.. Antonio simply was pissed off at Richie Incognito for cheap plays done against him and retaliated rightfully so. That was a personal battle against one guy.

As far as the "enforcer role" as it pertains to someone cheap shotting your QB.. that can only come from one place on your team.. and that's along the offensive line and about the only time I ever saw it was (say what you will about the guy) was Eric Winston vs KVB.

As far as guys that set a tone.. Cushing is your guy, followed by Watt. But it's hard to enforce anything when you aren't even playing across the line from the guy who cheap shotted your QB.

The NFL isn't baseball and guys aren't going to dive at knees or ankles and take the chance at ruining the career of another player who had nothing to do with what one of their other eleven teammates did to your team's QB. Not in today's game. That doesn't make you a "enforcer", it makes you a dirty player.

However like I said.. If your QB is being bullied.. only one unit on your team can come to his rescue and that's his offensive line. They are the ones that have to enforce and stand up for their QB. That's pretty much their job and what they're paid to do.

infantrycak
05-29-2014, 10:40 PM
Duane Brown mixes it up. Formerly Leach and Winston would weigh in.

Carr Bombed
05-29-2014, 10:41 PM
It would seem to me at this point that more likely Cushing would need his own personal enforcer.

That's why we traded up for Louis Nix? :cool: Nix was drafted to be his enforcer.. I can't wait to see how much freedom Cushing will have to roam with that guy occupying multiple blocks in front of him.

badboy
05-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Too early to tell and hard for a rookie but I think X could be that guy.

steelbtexan
05-29-2014, 10:45 PM
D.Brown

Nix

DocBar
05-29-2014, 10:57 PM
Duane Brown mixes it up. Formerly Leach and Winston would weigh in.But as a true "enforcer" type? I agree those guys would mix it up after a play, but I never saw them actually try to exact revenge.

To me, it's harder to see an enforcer on offense than defense, though. I keep thinking of the Steel Curtain, for some strange reason. And The Oilers under Glanville. Hell, that was an entire team full of enforcers.

Carr Bombed
05-29-2014, 11:02 PM
But as a true "enforcer" type? I agree those guys would mix it up after a play, but I never saw them actually try to exact revenge.

To me, it's harder to see an enforcer on offense than defense, though. I keep thinking of the Steel Curtain, for some strange reason. And The Oilers under Glanville. Hell, that was an entire team full of enforcers.

Add the Raiders, but how long ago was that? That era of the NFL is over.

DocBar
05-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Add the Raiders, but how long ago was that? That era of the NFL is over.Yeah, Ted Hendricks was a pretty dang good enforcer. Way back when the NFL was a man's game. Imagine the numbers QB's would've put up back then. They would compare to....todays QB numbers. LOL

Ronnie Lott was one helluva enforcer, too. Dude got a finger cut off so he could play.

mussop
05-29-2014, 11:15 PM
Do we need one? This ain't hockey.

DocBar
05-29-2014, 11:22 PM
Do we need one? This ain't hockey.
:mancard:

I'll take a 15 yd penalty for an enforcement penalty.

thunderkyss
05-29-2014, 11:31 PM
I don' think KJax is the retaliation guy, but he's a punisher. Not so much the guy he's covering, but if another receiver catches the ball anywhere near him, I'm sure they're looking for him because he's bringing the wood.

I think, & I know I'm alone on this, Welker was looking for him which led to a couple of drops.

infantrycak
05-29-2014, 11:35 PM
But as a true "enforcer" type? I agree those guys would mix it up after a play, but I never saw them actually try to exact revenge.

As you say, it is very hard to tell on O if someone is making a revenge point. I'd say even more so with our zone stretch offense than usual. But all three of the guys I mentioned didn't just react when personally confronted. They actively went after guys for teammates. eg., after they cleared AJ from the fight, Brown went back into the scrum and a few seconds later Innegan went flying out the backside. As Ron White would say, he got hurled into pub-lik.

DocBar
05-29-2014, 11:41 PM
As you say, it is very hard to tell on O if someone is making a revenge point. I'd say even more so with our zone stretch offense than usual. But all three of the guys I mentioned didn't just react when personally confronted. They actively went after guys for teammates. eg., after they cleared AJ from the fight, Brown went back into the scrum and a few seconds later Innegan went flying out the backside. As Ron White would say, he got hurled into pub-lik.

Innegan wasn't smart enough to figure out how many they were gonna use. Handy bit of information...:specnatz:

badboy
05-29-2014, 11:54 PM
Do we need one? This ain't hockey.but there are times when the opponent needs to know if they keep up their crap and refs don't stop it that one of my guys is going to even steven.

Carr Bombed
05-30-2014, 12:27 AM
:mancard:

I'll take a 15 yd penalty for an enforcement penalty.

It's no longer just a 15 yard enforcement penalty

Carr Bombed
05-30-2014, 12:30 AM
but there are times when the opponent needs to know if they keep up their crap and refs don't stop it that one of my guys is going to even steven.

yes and the Texans have made that known before on offense and in their past before. The player you named Antonio Smith only "even stevens" he ever made was equal penalties from the guy who committed those penalties/dirty plays against him.. That's not a "enforcer", it's a guy who wants to get equal against a certain player he faces every now and then.

I agree with Infrancak.

I'll take Vonta Leach, D. Brown, and Erick Winston over anybody on defense. When your QB is under attack.. you have to have enforcers on offense to combat that, because they actually play on that side of the ball.

DocBar
05-30-2014, 12:31 AM
It's no longer a 15 yard enforcement penaltyLosing your man card is a greater than 15 yd penalty? Cool. It should be.

beerlover
05-30-2014, 12:32 AM
has to be a defensive player almost by default. So my vote goes to the best defensive player JJ Watt :swatter:

revan
05-30-2014, 12:47 AM
I would definitely put Cushing as our enforcer. I know he has missed the last two seasons with injury but remember this guy is an in your face kind of guy that steps up for the team. The no helmet head butt in Cleveland, common. Also that time that I think Arian was ran out of bounds to the Texans sideline and as Foster passed Cush and Ryans, Cush stepped right in front of the defender to cut him off from Foster like "what?!".

Carr Bombed
05-30-2014, 12:56 AM
Losing your man card is a greater than 15 yd penalty? Cool. It should be.

Not really.. especially when we have tone setters on defense that are already doing their jobs. That type of play should strictly come from a tough hard nosed offensive line that goes to everyday meetings with their QB and has his back until no end. That's the make up of a championship caliber offensive front. If I was expecting my defensive players to be the players that retaliated on a attack on my QB then I'd have to concede that my front seven was filled with nothing, but *******.

DocBar
05-30-2014, 01:00 AM
Not really.. especially when we have tone setters on defense that are already doing their jobs. That type of play should strictly come from a tough hard nosed offensive line that goes to everyday meetings with their QB and has his back until no end. That's the make up of a championship caliber offensive front. If I was expecting my defensive players to be the players that retaliated on a attack on my QB then I'd have to concede that my front seven was filled with nothing, but *******.????

Carr Bombed
05-30-2014, 01:02 AM
Losing your man card is a greater than 15 yd penalty? Cool. It should be.

When you can be suspended for a game, thus making it greater than just a 15 yard penalty... yes, it should be. It's not the defense's job to stick up for a QB.. at least not on a team that is correctively constructed. If you are a QB and you are expecting your defensive players to fight your battles for you that just tells me you don't have the right offensive payers around you... especially the ones you need in front of you.

DocBar
05-30-2014, 01:05 AM
When you can be suspended for a game, thus making it greater than just a 15 yard penalty... yes, it shout be. It's not the defense's job to stick up for a QB.. at least not on a team that is correctively constructed. If you are expecting your defensive players to fight your battles for you that just tells me you don't have the right offensive payers around you... especially the ones you need in front of you.ok!

Carr Bombed
05-30-2014, 01:05 AM
????

What are you questioning? I've been pretty clear.

Wolf6151
05-30-2014, 01:06 AM
Duane Brown mixes it up. Formerly Leach and Winston would weigh in.

Those are the names I immediately thought of when I read the OP, but unfortunately they're both gone. On offense it almost has to be an OG or FB, a player that's easy enough to replace if thrown out of the game for retaliation. On defense I think it would have to be an ILB, Reed comes to mind, or one of the Safties, again someone that can be replaced if thrown out of the game. Yes that enforcer is important on a team. They let the opposition know that their BS won't be tolerated, they set a toughness standard for others, and bring an attitude to the team.

Carr Bombed
05-30-2014, 01:07 AM
ok!

???

DocBar
05-30-2014, 01:09 AM
What are you questioning? I've been pretty clear.I guess the fact that enforcement plays occur, that they are more effective than you think they are and that they are worth the penalty, unless a clearly superior player is suspended because if a clearly inferior player.

Carr Bombed
05-30-2014, 01:28 AM
I guess the fact that enforcement plays occur, that they are more effective than you think they are and that they are worth the penalty, unless a clearly superior player is suspended because if a clearly inferior player.

Name all the enforcement plays that occurred so we can get a example.

We have had those type of players, yet people just disagree on what side of the ball those players should come from in defense of their QB.. given the scenario that those "enforcers" should respond to attacks to our QB.

Antonio Smith was never a enforcer.. he was a retaliator.. there's a difference

The problem here is some people don't want to actually buy the concept that Eric Winston, Vonta Leach, and Duane Brown (or that more often than not offensive players in general are the "enforcers" on a football team) are the enforcers on their team when their QB was cheap shotted.

DocBar
05-30-2014, 01:30 AM
In which multiple people have gave examples on how we've have those type of players, yet disagree on what side of the ball those players should come from.. given the scenario that they're attacking our QB.

The problem here is some people don't want to actually buy the concept that Eric Winston, Vonta Leach, and Duane Brown (or that more often than not offensive players in general are the "enforcers")huh?

Carr Bombed
05-30-2014, 01:38 AM
huh?

what?

it's extremely hard to argue with your one word responses.

infantrycak
05-30-2014, 01:50 AM
what?

I think he is saying WTF why can't an offensive player be the enforcer for an offensive player (QB).

It makes way more sense than a D player. The O and D are separate units so each should stick up for their own. The offender has to be a D player so an O player is the only one with an opportunity. Frankly a retaliatory move against some uninvolved offensive player is kind of a d!ck move.

DocBar
05-30-2014, 02:06 AM
Name all the enforcement plays that occurred so we can get a example.

We have had those type of players, yet people just disagree on what side of the ball those players should come from in defense of their QB.. given the scenario that those "enforcers" responded to attacks to our QB.

The problem here is some people don't want to actually buy the concept that Eric Winston, Vonta Leach, and Duane Brown (or that more often than not offensive players in general are the "enforcers" on a football team) were enforcers on their team

what?

I think he is saying WTF why can't an offensive player be the enforcer for an offensive player (QB).

It makes way more sense than a D player. The O and D are separate units so each should stick up for their own. The offender has to be a D player so an O player is the only one with an opportunity. Frankly a retaliatory move against some uninvolved offensive player is kind of a d!ck move.Sigh...

thunderkyss
05-30-2014, 02:38 AM
I think we have wildly different views of what an enforcer is.

Antonio Smith was a retaliator. I agree with that. He retaliated when someone tried to punk him. I don't remember him getting involved when someone else got the wrong end of something or other.

'cak's example of Brown going at Innegan is a good example of what an enforcer is.

Had someone did something to Jared Allen, or Joe Mays, then I'd really buy into having an enforcer on offense.

Jj Watt & Cushing may be tough crazy dudes, but I don't think of them as enforcers. Cushing got his legs rolled up on him, Charles took out his knee... Charles was giving it to several players that game (I remember a cheap shot to someone's ribs) & could have used some enforcing if you ask me... but nothing happened.

Remember when Aaron Hernandez ran over Glover Quin? Gangster or not, someone should have T-boned his ass on the next play.

Sigma
05-30-2014, 04:53 AM
Cushing.

more enforced than enforcer :)

Thorn
05-30-2014, 06:17 AM
Not really sure I like the idea of deliberate retaliation except for extreme players, like Incognito or Suh. Rather I like just knocking them all on their butts every play.

xtruroyaltyx
05-30-2014, 07:24 AM
Football teams shouldn't need a particular "enforcer".

Olinemen generally protect their skill guys and the entire defense should be a unit of legal enforcers knocking the **** out of the opponent between the whistle.

So yeah, the texans have enforcers..the oline and the defense.

CloakNNNdagger
05-30-2014, 07:29 AM
A great deal of enforcement occurs inside the "pile." Most of it goes unnoticed and unappreciated. But the message does reach the most important "recipient".....the players of the opposing team.

Marshall
05-30-2014, 07:31 AM
Tough? Absolutely but an enforcer? Not sure I believe that not recall Brian hitting anyone in a get you back mode. Can you give example or clarify your opinion?

The smartest enforcers use the time between the whistles for payback.

steelbtexan
05-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Football teams shouldn't need a particular "enforcer".

Olinemen generally protect their skill guys and the entire defense should be a unit of legal enforcers knocking the **** out of the opponent between the whistle.

So yeah, the texans have enforcers..the oline and the defense.

Well then, the Texans enforcers got the crap kicked out of them last yr.

Can you say soft, the sign of a soft team is when they cant stop or convert 3rd and short situations.

HouSportsWriter
05-30-2014, 08:23 AM
Bill O'Brian is the Texans enforcer, and that's how it should be. With less drama on the field. They can focus more on winning the game.

Marshall
05-30-2014, 08:25 AM

Can you say soft, the sign of a soft team is when they cant stop or convert 3rd and short situations.

We were seldom playing with a full deck. That's not being soft, it's being injured or bad.

xtruroyaltyx
05-30-2014, 09:25 AM

Hard to win every fight in the NFL. Last year the Texans were extremely terrible at winning battles.

HOU-TEX
05-30-2014, 09:26 AM
I don't know about enforcer, but Duane Brown would likely be the last person on the team I'd want to piss off during a game.

Defensively, it'd be Cush. I think he gets so emotionally tied into a game that he could go off if something went down while the D was on the field

Playoffs
05-30-2014, 09:49 AM
I'd be surprised to see one of OB's guys lose his cool and start punching an opponent.

You enforce on the scoreboard.

Still, I wouldn't want to tangle with #76...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs5/3057734_o.gif
http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/files/2011/10/this_is_what_james_harrison_looks_like_right_now.j pg

thunderkyss
05-30-2014, 10:00 AM
I'd be surprised to see one of OB's guys lose his cool and start punching an opponent.

You enforce on the scoreboard.

Or you set a hard pick. Block a guy who isn't involved in a play. You tackle a guy as soon as the ball's snapped. There's a lot of ways to get a guy between the whistles.

kingtexan
05-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Enforcer could mean, you late hit our QB, we late hit yours.

Or if you do someting dirty in the pile to our RB, we send someone to blindside block your ass and knock you off your feet, or worse ...

Could be O or D.

Not sure who fits that bill right now, but will be interesting to see if it manifest itself.

Playoffs
05-30-2014, 08:28 PM
Patriots had an enforcer...

If you accidentally bumped into the guy & spilled his drink he'd shoot your clumsy azz and all of your friends, too. :bat:

HouSportsWriter
05-30-2014, 09:34 PM
patriots had an enforcer...

If you accidentally bumped into the guy & spilled his drink he'd shoot your clumsy azz and all of your friends, too. :bat:

rep +

badboy
05-30-2014, 10:01 PM
Enforcer could mean, you late hit our QB, we late hit yours.

Or if you do someting dirty in the pile to our RB, we send someone to blindside block your ass and knock you off your feet, or worse ...

Could be O or D.

Not sure who fits that bill right now, but will be interesting to see if it manifest itself.This and I think it was CNND that said in the pile is good spot for correcting bad behavior.