PDA

View Full Version : Kendrick Lewis and Chris Clemons, who do you prefer?

76Texan
05-22-2014, 03:52 PM
I take Lewis at FS.

Clemons is a question mark for me at this time.

kingtexan
05-22-2014, 03:57 PM
Whoever BoB prefers ...

PHILLYTEXANFAN
05-22-2014, 06:04 PM
My buddy is a chiefs fan and says Lewis is hot garbage

PHILLYTEXANFAN
05-22-2014, 06:14 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/2/17/5406708/the-chiefs-defense-and-25-yard-plays-part-2

badboy
05-22-2014, 06:19 PM
I'd prefer neither but no other choice.

76Texan
05-22-2014, 06:20 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/2/17/5406708/the-chiefs-defense-and-25-yard-plays-part-2

I've only got to week 5, haha.

Thus far, from my observarion, Lewis had been quite solid, but Clemons was a mess.

Can't say anything about the rest of the season though.

WolverineFan
05-22-2014, 06:30 PM
IIRC, Clemons was a top 25 Safety on PFF last year. The Dolphins sure didn't care to see him leave though.

I liked Lewis coming out in the draft, but he struggled in coverage with KC. I still like him though.

DocBar
05-22-2014, 06:38 PM
I take Lewis at FS.

Clemons is a question mark for me at this time.Ask me again after training camp. :handshake:

76Texan
05-22-2014, 06:42 PM
IIRC, Clemons was a top 25 Safety on PFF last year. The Dolphins sure didn't care to see him leave though.

I liked Lewis coming out in the draft, but he struggled in coverage with KC. I still like him though.

Clemons must have done quite well in the last eleven games.
He sure looks bad at the start of the season.
Consistent bad angles and poor tackling.
You think the Texans safeties were bad, meet Clemons.
And I liked him out of college.

I did not expect to see what I saw; at all.

76Texan
05-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Ask me again after training camp. :handshake:

Considered asked.

WolverineFan
05-22-2014, 06:48 PM

Didn't watch much of Miami so I couldn't tell you. I'm pretty sure he was top 25 though. Perhaps it was only top 25 in coverage.

That said, Miami didn't even offer him a contract when he became a FA this offseason. In fact, they went out and signed Louis Delmas to replace him.

76Texan
05-22-2014, 06:49 PM
My buddy is a chiefs fan and says Lewis is hot garbage

It's kinda weird, because through week 5, I was surprised that Lewis was fairly competent.
With safeties, you never can tell for sure when they can get exposed though.

Still very interesting comment from Chiefs fans.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
05-22-2014, 06:54 PM
It's kinda weird, because through week 5, I was surprised that Lewis was fairly competent.

They also thought that Their young DB Cooper was pretty good than teams caught on he can't cover a cross pattern and similar routes

PHILLYTEXANFAN
05-22-2014, 06:55 PM

Yeah, my buddy said he felt sorry after we signed him

76Texan
05-22-2014, 07:12 PM
Yeah, my buddy said he felt sorry after we signed him

Well I know where to dig now.

But that was really surprising.

Lewis looks quite good to me after five games.
And I did not expect that either.

How weird.
Totally different responses from what I expect.

It sounds like their seasons went completely the opposite way from start to finish.

thunderkyss
05-22-2014, 07:31 PM
I'd prefer both of them to respond extremely well to new coaches & the realization they could have easily been out of the league, then become the best Safety combination the NFL has ever seen.

If DjSwag can get in on that conversation, that would be fine with me as well.

DocBar
05-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Considered asked.

Send me a reminder. I'm not sure if either make it halfway through TC... :)

steelbtexan
05-23-2014, 05:23 AM

Atleast now we will know who to blame when KJ gets burned again.

EllisUnit
05-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Where is Troy Nolan, i still believe he played better than keo and i like him more than any other safties on our roster.

WolverineFan
05-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Where is Troy Nolan, i still believe he played better than keo and i like him more than any other safties on our roster.

He's a FA who didn't play in the league last year. He was signed by Tampa last year but was released after 2 weeks without seeing the field.

EllisUnit
05-23-2014, 12:53 PM
He's a FA who didn't play in the league last year. He was signed by Tampa last year but was released after 2 weeks without seeing the field.

I dont care i am only going off how he played when he was here.

WolverineFan
05-23-2014, 12:57 PM
I dont care i am only going off how he played when he was here.

I was only answering the question. He's a FA right now so he's there for the taking. I like him as well. I feel like he never really got a fair shake here. He was, at worst, our 2nd or 3rd best Safety while he was here.

EllisUnit
05-23-2014, 01:09 PM
I was only answering the question. He's a FA right now so he's there for the taking. I like him as well. I feel like he never really got a fair shake here. He was, at worst, our 2nd or 3rd best Safety while he was here.

yeah i was pretty shocked when he was cut instead of keo, that's some of that kubiak BS.

thunderkyss
05-23-2014, 11:17 PM

We cut him what?? Three times?

Dude has some serious off-field issues, doesn't appreciate the opportunity he's got in front of him.

No doubt the kid can play. But he doesn't appear to be worth the headache.

thetexanator
05-23-2014, 11:29 PM
its my understanding that they both suck

TexansSeminole
05-24-2014, 12:10 AM
Clemons over Lewis but they are both in the "need to be replaced" category, so whoever plays better in TC will start. Our secondary is going to be a serious liability.

b0ng
05-24-2014, 07:58 AM
When talking to both fanbases Miami fans seemed indifferent about Clemons while the Chiefs fans absolutely hate Lewis.

Neither one of them are guys that you can put down as the starter for the next 2 years ( Hope not anyway)

76Texan
05-24-2014, 09:36 PM
When talking to both fanbases Miami fans seemed indifferent about Clemons while the Chiefs fans absolutely hate Lewis.

Neither one of them are guys that you can put down as the starter for the next 2 years ( Hope not anyway)

For Lewis, it could have been the injury that led to a poor year in 2012.

So far, I had went through 7 games, and he still look solid to me; serviceable for sure.

Clemons started to make a few plays and were generally in better positions.

thunderkyss
05-24-2014, 09:43 PM
What was the talk about Pollard when we signed him off the waiver wire?

76Texan
05-27-2014, 08:05 PM
What was the talk about Pollard when we signed him off the waiver wire?

This will depend on who you ask.

For me, Pollard is (was) the guy he always were.

Speed, heavy hitter, not reliable in coverage (though he seemed to do better in Baltimore a little later.)

As far as Lewis and Clemons, I got up to week 14, and saw two journeymen.

Clemons has good speed and therefore can make some plays and save some TDs. He takes a few more bad angles that I'd like; must be why he's a FA without heavy courtship.

If this guy can get that part down, he can be quite good.
Not sure he can cover the top tier TE though.

Lewis is slower, but a smarter guy.
He's in good position almost all the time; a better Keo.

They both had pretty good fronts and so they weren't challenged as much.
It also makes it tougher to really gauge their talent (or the lack of.)

Hey, at least, neither made as many poor plays as Ed Reed in his last year with the Ravens and both seem to be healthy at the moment.

ArlingtonTexan
05-29-2014, 09:00 AM
on the roles of Jerrell Powe and Kendrick Lewis, who both played for Romeo Crennel in Kansas City) ďI think each and every guy is determining his own role on the team right now. Like the way we put them in different situation, whether itís Powe as a nose guard and Lewis as a safety or maybe even a corner. Maybe being involved a lot in special teams. I know that both guys have worked extremely hard and weíve really enjoyed working with them but I think every guy on this team is still in the process of determining their own role, meaning we put them in a role, we start them somewhere and they kind of take it from there and try to expand that role because, really, in the NFL, thatís what itís all about. Itís having a guy that can do a few different things and not just one thing at most positions.Ē

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-Transcripts-May-28/26388917-1ddd-4524-b695-1f8691db8086

DocBar
05-29-2014, 12:00 PM
on the roles of Jerrell Powe and Kendrick Lewis, who both played for Romeo Crennel in Kansas City) ďI think each and every guy is determining his own role on the team right now. Like the way we put them in different situation, whether itís Powe as a nose guard and Lewis as a safety or maybe even a corner. Maybe being involved a lot in special teams. I know that both guys have worked extremely hard and weíve really enjoyed working with them but I think every guy on this team is still in the process of determining their own role, meaning we put them in a role, we start them somewhere and they kind of take it from there and try to expand that role because, really, in the NFL, thatís what itís all about. Itís having a guy that can do a few different things and not just one thing at most positions.Ē

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-Transcripts-May-28/26388917-1ddd-4524-b695-1f8691db8086JJ, AJ, Cush, DB, Meyers...that's all I can come up with that are absolute locks at their position.

I'm pretty sure about KJ, JJo and DSwag but not 100%.

It's certainly going to be an interesting summer.

The Pencil Neck
05-29-2014, 07:22 PM
JJ, AJ, Cush, DB, Meyers...that's all I can come up with that are absolute locks at their position.

I'm pretty sure about KJ, JJo and DSwag but not 100%.

It's certainly going to be an interesting summer.

I'm pretty sure KJ, JJo, and Swearinger are locks. So only that other safety position is seriously up for grabs.

On the front 7, I think JJ, Nix, Clowney, Cush, and Reed are locks. Mercilus has to prove what he can do and someone's got to step up for that other DE position.

And I think Brooks and the X are locks along with Myers and Brown. So only the RT spot is open on the OL.

I think AJ and Deandre are locks, the rest of the WRs are open. The TEs... I expect Fiedorowicz to be the primary guy but GG and RG will be in the mix, too.

Arian is a lock as the starting RB. Prosch isn't a lock as the FB, but he's pretty darned close.

76Texan
05-29-2014, 08:03 PM
I finally finished watching the entire season, and I concur that the general observation from both fan bases are warranted.

Clemons did look better while Lewis was going the opposite direction.

I didn't really noted down the competition, though I did try some.

Neither can cover a top tier TE (Lewis wasn't asked to do much of that.)

Clemons can really run and he did save quite a few plays.
Both front ends were pretty good so they weren't challenged extensively.

I really wish that Clemons can be taught and/or improve on angle.
Neither is physical.

Lewis was used more at FS while Clemons more at SS.

IMO, Clemons can serve better at FS due to his speed and range.

If he can just learn better angle and breaking down better for the tackle, we could find a late bloomer.

Lewis was supposed to be the last line of defense, and he was for at least the first half, but it was a reversal in the second half.

I don't know of the reasons; just reporting what I saw.

thunderkyss
05-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Neither can cover a top tier TE (Lewis wasn't asked to do much of that.)

Uh... no safety can. That's why they're "top tier" TEs.

Graham, Gronk, Davis... fuggitaboutit

76Texan
05-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Uh... no safety can. That's why they're "top tier" TEs.

Graham, Gronk, Davis... fuggitaboutit

It still remains a mystery to me why they have been emphasizing on the nickel who can can cover a wicked slot guy and there hasn't been enough attention (in my view) to take care of these monsters.

Well, maybe they have been trying, but there's no real solution.
I mean, we're talking about playmakers.
Not sure if there's a breed to counter these guys.
Just a question.

steelbtexan
05-29-2014, 09:16 PM
It still remains a mystery to me why they have been emphasizing on the nickel who can can cover a wicked slot guy and there hasn't been enough attention (in my view) to take care of these monsters.

Just a question.

You need 2 types of S both need to be great tacklers.

The type that can drop down and cover the slot in you base defense. Earl Thomas.

The type like Quin who can play LB in the nickel and cover the TE/short cross and provide run support.

Atleast one of the S also needs to have the speed to be able to cover the deep ball.

Maybe Clemons can do this because he's got the speed, but neither one of these guys are very good tacklers. CB/S should be a priority in FA/Draft next offseason.

badboy
05-29-2014, 09:58 PM

Just a question.Should a safety or nickle CB cover a TE or a LB in our defense?

steelbtexan
05-29-2014, 10:00 PM
Should a safety or nickle CB cover a TE or a LB in our defense?

At this point I don't think we as fans know.

thunderkyss
05-29-2014, 11:02 PM

Just a question.

I don't think the answer is going to be a safety. It's going to have to be a bigger corner... like Sherman.

Shaft75
05-30-2014, 12:03 AM
Do you really need a top tier safety when Watt and Clowney are meeting at the QB?

badboy
05-30-2014, 12:06 AM
Do you really need a top tier safety when Watt and Clowney are meeting at the QB?yes because premiere QBs often get ball out before being disruptive. I am really concerned about our safeties. WE probably need to focus on this position next draft.

michaelm
05-30-2014, 10:57 AM

Just a question.

Is your comment specific to the Texans? If so, it might have something to do with the teams we will face this year. On casual glance, it doesn't appear that we will see a TE like those monsters you mention.