PDA

View Full Version : Waiver wire pickups

mussop
05-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Just heard we picked up two OL off waiver wire. Anyone know a thing about these guys? Pretty cool we have first rights to anyone waived.

Wolf6151
05-20-2014, 05:09 PM
Just heard we picked up two OL off waiver wire. Anyone know a thing about these guys? Pretty cool we have first rights to anyone waived.

For us to have an opinion about the players, it'd be nice to know who they are. Who'd we get? I'm glad we're getting O-linemen. Being 1st in line is cool, could net us some quality players from other teams.

Texan in Japan
05-20-2014, 05:25 PM
The Texans have added a pair of offensive linemen waived by clubs on Monday.

According to the NFL’s Tuesday transactions, the Texans have been awarded Iowa offensive guard Conor Boffeli on waivers from Minnesota and Massachusetts offensive tackle Anthony Dima on waivers from Cleveland.

The 6-foot-4, 298-pound Boffeli started 16 games at left guard in his collegiate career with the Hawkeyes, while Dima (6-7, 302) was a 31-game starter, seeing action at both left and right tackle for the Minutemen.

In another Texans transaction Tuesday, rookie offensive tackle Chris Martin, an undrafted free agent from UCF, has reverted to injured reserve after being waived/injured on Monday.

Blake
05-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Nothing special. But its good to see that they want a battle on the OL this summer.

kiwitexansfan
05-20-2014, 06:04 PM
In another Texans transaction Tuesday, rookie offensive tackle Chris Martin, an undrafted free agent from UCF, has reverted to injured reserve after being waived/injured on Monday.

Stashed away on injured reserve.

I know some people liked this guy.

Never heard of the two we picked up.

Playoffs
05-20-2014, 06:21 PM
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Now that the #Texans have claimed OG Conor Boffeli, Houston has 3 rookies that blocked on Iowa's OL. Boffeli, CJ Fiedorowicz, James Ferentz.

eriadoc
05-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Well, one thing I know - they aren't the smaller, athletic OL that we've been told were superior in the past. They might be athletic, but at 6'4" and 6'7", they ain't small. :cowboy1:

infantrycak
05-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock

Well, one thing I know - they aren't the smaller, athletic OL that we've been told were superior in the past. They might be athletic, but at 6'4" and 6'7", they ain't small. :cowboy1:

Maybe so but this is throwing a giant bucket of water on getting rid of or minimizing zone blocking. Iowa = zone blocking. Ferentz = zone blocking.

drs23
05-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Maybe so but this is throwing a giant bucket of water on getting rid of or minimizing zone blocking. Iowa = zone blocking. Ferentz = zone blocking.

So they're finding big bodies that can be effective in space and get to the second level and perform?

Honest, don't know the answer question.

From the heights & weights they sound a little 'lanky' to me. How am I seeing this wrong?

infantrycak
05-20-2014, 08:53 PM
So they're finding big bodies that can be effective in space and get to the second level and perform?

From the heights & weights they sound a little 'lanky' to me. How am I seeing this wrong?

I don't think you are. I think the rumors of the demise of the ZBS have been greatly exaggerated.

Playoffs
05-20-2014, 09:11 PM
...I think the rumors of the demise of the ZBS have been greatly exaggerated.

Never was going to be done away with, just not run 95% of the time like w/Kubiak. We'll have the option to run power if it better defeats a defense. Versatilty in players, versatility in scheme.

OB's word we'll tire of -- multiple.

CloakNNNdagger
05-20-2014, 09:29 PM

My guess is that they will all put on at least an additional 10 pounds on their frames before its all over. I doubt any will end up being pushovers.

CloakNNNdagger
05-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Never was going to be done away with, just not run 95% of the time like w/Kubiak. We'll have the option to run power if it better defeats a defense. Versatilty in players, versatility in scheme.

OB's word we'll tire of -- multiple.

OB's "Mega ZBS" will bear little resemblance to the ZBS we leave behind.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2421/4094543967_62ed9e5581_o.jpg

badboy
05-20-2014, 09:48 PM
I was thinking Dima was a pretty good prospect out of college. I'm interested in seeing what he can offer.

badboy
05-20-2014, 09:53 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2421/4094543967_62ed9e5581_o.jpgMe likee.

CloakNNNdagger
05-21-2014, 08:20 PM
HOUSTON – The Houston Texans have claimed the following free agents off waivers:

Conor Boffeli G/C 6-4 304 22 rookie Iowa Minnesota

Anthony Dima T 6-6 295 23 rookie Massachusetts Cleveland

nero THE zero
05-22-2014, 05:08 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2421/4094543967_62ed9e5581_o.jpg

Oh, Paul Johnson.

Your departure can't come soon enough.

Thorn
05-23-2014, 10:15 PM
HOUSTON – The Houston Texans have claimed the following free agents off waivers:

Conor Boffeli G/C 6-4 304 22 rookie Iowa Minnesota

Anthony Dima T 6-6 295 23 rookie Massachusetts Cleveland

He's certainly bringing in big boys. I wonder how many of these UDFAs and waiver wire guys actually make it to the final roster or the practice squad? I thinking a tad more than usual because of BoB wanting to reboot the team.

Goldensilence
05-25-2014, 12:06 PM
He's certainly bringing in big boys. I wonder how many of these UDFAs and waiver wire guys actually make it to the final roster or the practice squad? I thinking a tad more than usual because of BoB wanting to reboot the team.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Could see higher than what some might consider starters from a draft and UDFA class because of wanting to turn the roster pretty quickly. Pretty slotting top there as day one starters. Nix might not, but it wouldn't surprise me to see some real rotated time in at nose. Prosch has a legit shot at starting FB, laying waste to opposing LBers, and turning into fan favorite. Bullough might have a shot at opposite ILB om Cush that the team has been seeking.

Playoffs
05-25-2014, 05:34 PM
...I wonder how many of these UDFAs and waiver wire guys actually make it to the final roster or the practice squad?
It'll be interesting. Our personnel guys better be on their toes when teams have to cut down to 53 players.

badboy
05-25-2014, 11:25 PM
It'll be interesting. Our personnel guys better be on their toes when teams have to cut down to 53 players.Yep. I still want to see more DBs and LBs to evaluate. A WR or two would not hurt.

dalemurphy
05-26-2014, 05:24 AM
This is the deepest, most talented Texans team in its history. It is amazing to see how successfully this roster has been supplemented and re-worked. Other than QB, the only question mark on offense is RT... And, even at RT, there are 3 or 4 talented athletes that could win the job... Most remarkable, though, is the job they did redesigning the front 7 of the defense. The versatility, talent, and depth of that group is exciting.

Given all the inexperience, not to mention the question mark at QB, I don't think this years team will be nearly as good as the 2011 team, nor as successful as the 2012 team. That being said, I think we are competing for the playoffs this year... And, unlike in previous seasons, an injury or two won't derail this group because there is positional depth across the board.

Playoffs
05-26-2014, 08:57 AM
This is the deepest, most talented Texans team in its history... I think we are competing for the playoffs this year... And, unlike in previous seasons, an injury or two won't derail this group because there is positional depth across the board.

Have to disagree on our depth.

Remove Watt or JJo, Duane Brown or AJ and we're pedestrian. We've seen what losing Cush does. Who's our other DE? What if Brandon Brooks or X goes down? Who's our RT? Who's behind him? What if Nix is never healthy? We have depth at QB, but any talent?

I think we're at least another draft away from contending.

Goldensilence
05-26-2014, 09:26 AM
This is the deepest, most talented Texans team in its history. It is amazing to see how successfully this roster has been supplemented and re-worked. Other than QB, the only question mark on offense is RT... And, even at RT, there are 3 or 4 talented athletes that could win the job... Most remarkable, though, is the job they did redesigning the front 7 of the defense. The versatility, talent, and depth of that group is exciting.

Given all the inexperience, not to mention the question mark at QB, I don't think this years team will be nearly as good as the 2011 team, nor as successful as the 2012 team. That being said, I think we are competing for the playoffs this year... And, unlike in previous seasons, an injury or two won't derail this group because there is positional depth across the board.

I think the biggest difference is a staff that seems to already know how they want their roster. Not sure outside qb and the OL that Kubiak and his staff had a clear vision of what their roster should be. Looking back, there were a lot of guesses and let's see if this sticks.

It is completely early, but based on the draft this staff seems to know exactly what they're looking for: tough, physical, and athletic. The days of the David Anderson's and your colorado state pipeline are thankfully over.

dalemurphy
05-26-2014, 10:06 AM

Remove Watt or JJo, Duane Brown or AJ and we're pedestrian. We've seen what losing Cush does. Who's our other DE? What if Brandon Brooks or X goes down? Who's our RT? Who's behind him? What if Nix is never healthy? We have depth at QB, but any talent?

I am not saying that we have more elite talent than we ever have. But, position to position, there is talented depth... This has never been the case. In 2011 (and certainly in 2012), there were a number of positions that if we lost a starter, the backup was a fringe talent. Since you mentioned AJ, let's start with WR:

AJ, Hopkins, Posey, Martin, Labhart, Bonner, Lemon, Nwachuku... in 2011, we had a declining KWalter as the #2, followed by guys like David Anderson.

At the DL positions: Watt, Nix, Crick, Powe, Pagan, Jamison, Matthews Browner. (Of course losing Watt would hurt. He's elite) However Powe, Nix, Matthews, Pagan can all play well in a 2gap system and will not be manhandled by NFL offenses.

LB: Cushing, Mercilus, Clowney, T.Williams, B.Reed, Bullough (and a large group of other young athletes)... We've never had that many talented LBs. There are plenty of questions but talent is not one of them.

RT: Newton, Quessenberry, Brennan Williams, Dima- Four talented guys fighting for one spot

I like Ben Jones as a backup guard in a power system.

I love Hal at CB and think Brandon Harris will be better under Crennel. I am also intrigued by the UDFA from North Dakota State. I also think Buoye and Pleasant can play and their size and physicality will be more valuable in this defense.

Do we have talent at QB?: Yes! Tom Savage is very talented. He's the most talented QB we have had since David Carr. I don't know how he'll develop... we'll have to see.

I don't know whether Quessenberry, if he wins the RT job, will be better than Ryan Harris this year. I just like the fact that he could be. I like the fact that AJ will be the least explosive WR in our 3 WR sets. I also like that we will have a TE that will be a physical presence in the running game and a match-up concern in the pass game. I like that we can line up 3 DL men on 3rd and 1 who won't get washed away by the offensive line. I like that our 2 starting guards have elite strength to go along with excellent athleticism. And, I like the fact that there is a QB on the roster that can drive the ball down through zone defenses.

I don't think this team will be as good as the one in 2011 or 2012. However, when this year's team struggles, there is the real hope that they will learn from those mistakes and be better the next game. This team will struggle due to inexperience and immaturity but not because it does not have the athletes to compete.

xtruroyaltyx
05-26-2014, 11:54 AM
I expect this team to be vying for a play off spot this year.

I expect an offense that features the ground game. Smart play calling in both sides of the ball and a really strong defense.

Our division is that good. Our schedule isn't loaded with powerhouses.

If another qb beats out Fitzpatrick that would help my expectations since I believe fitz represents avg qb play as the bench mark.

76Texan
05-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Remove Brady or their LT, Wilfork or Gronk and the Pats would also be pedestrians.
No?

PHILLYTEXANFAN
05-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Remove Brady or their LT, Wilfork or Gronk and the Pats would also be pedestrians.
No?

Lol, remove BB and their pedestrian imo

drs23
05-26-2014, 12:57 PM
Lol, remove BB and their pedestrian imo

But, but they've got Mallet waiting in the wings. Never miss a beat. :kitten:

Playoffs
05-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Remove Brady or their LT, Wilfork or Gronk and the Pats would also be pedestrians. No?
Not necessarily.

2008: without Brady (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2008/), 11-5 record, 6th best point differential in the NFL, 2nd most points in AFC, 8th least points against in NFL, missed out on playoffs tiebreakers to...
AFC East
Miami Dolphins* 11 5
AFC North
Pittsburgh Steelers* 12 4
Baltimore Ravens+ 11 5
AFC South
Tennessee Titans* 13 3
Indianapolis Colts+ 12 4
AFC West
San Diego Chargers* 8 8

2013: Gronk played 6 games & Wilfork played 3 games and Patriots went to AFC Championship game.

Not what I'd call pedestrian, ymmv.

Uncle Rico
05-26-2014, 09:12 PM
I'd temper the accolades about a team who hasn't played 1 single game as assembled.

the 2011 team was a super bowl contender, albert haynesworth single handedly derailed the possibilities that year.

Im cautiously optimistic about this squad.

thunderkyss
05-27-2014, 04:43 AM
We have depth at QB, but any talent?

We've got plenty of talent at QB. Don't mean they'll be any good though.

Have to see if OB & Godsey can make chicken salad or not.

steelbtexan
05-27-2014, 09:14 AM

Who has dubbed Mallett as some kind of savior?

EllisUnit
05-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Not necessarily.

2008: without Brady (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2008/), 11-5 record, 6th best point differential in the NFL, 2nd most points in AFC, 8th least points against in NFL, missed out on playoffs tiebreakers to...

2013: Gronk played 6 games & Wilfork played 3 games and Patriots went to AFC Championship game.

They also had Belichek who adapts and adjusts to players, we had no adjust Kubiak. I would give the advantage to the Patriots there even if they were missing 10 starters and we were missing one.

Cant call a brown horse white just because they are standing next to each other.

steelbtexan
05-27-2014, 09:24 AM
They also had Belichek who adapts and adjusts to players, we had no adjust Kubiak. I would give the advantage to the Patriots there even if they were missing 10 starters and we were missing one.

Cant call a brown horse white just because they are standing next to each other.

Yep,

BTW, BB helped put together a lot of the talent on the Ravens roster that helped them win the the Dilfer lead SB.

BB=Genius, Kubiak = ? There's really no comparison.

76Texan
05-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Not necessarily.

You only use one part of the equation, Playoffs.

steelbtexan
05-27-2014, 09:58 AM
You only use one part of the equation, Playoffs.

what are the other parts of the equation?

drs23
05-27-2014, 10:33 AM

Who has dubbed Mallett as some kind of savior?

steelb, see the kitty?

Shoulda used :stirpot: I reckon.

HOU-TEX
05-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Another WR. Kofi

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider · 5m ·
Texans awarded Kofi Hughes off waivers from the Redskins

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro · 9m ·
The #Texans claimed WR Kofi Hughes off waivers (Redskins) and waived OT Kevin Forsch.

Playoffs
05-28-2014, 06:46 PM
The #Texans claimed WR Kofi Hughes off waivers

6'1", 206 lbs., 4.52 40 yard dash

2013 Indians University (Senior) (http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kofi_hughes_712191.html): Elected team captain along with Ted Bolser and Greg Heban ... started all 12 games and made 47 receptions for 739 yards with seven touchdowns ... finished second on the team in catches, yards, yards per game (61.6) and yards per catch (15.7) and third in TDs ... ranked sixth in the Big Ten in yards per game, tied for seventh in scores and ninth in yards ... posted three 100-yard games ... forced one fumble on special teams at No. 17 Wisconsin ... matched a career-high with nine grabs for 120 yards at No. 4 Ohio State ... pulled in six balls for a season-high 138 yards and a 67-yard touchdown at Michigan ... made six receptions for 102 yards with a 45-yard TD against Navy ... added four catches for 85 yards and a 36-yard score in win over Penn State ... collected 12 20-plus yard (four TDs - 67, 45, 36, 27) and seven 30-plus yard receptions ... led team in yardage four times and in catches three times ... two-time IU offensive player of the week (Michigan and Ohio State) ... six-time game captain.
In the shadow of Cody Latimer.

ObsiWan
05-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Why did they say "awarded"??

I thought you "claimed" guys off the wire... or are they the same thing?
:thinking:

Playoffs
05-28-2014, 07:36 PM

Teams put in ww claims... highest in line(us) is awarded the player.

76Texan
05-28-2014, 07:37 PM

Claim your award at the meat market, I guess. :roast: