PDA

View Full Version : Texans roster moves

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Playoffs
05-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
Texans cut RB Chad Spann, RB Ray Graham, CB Loyce Means, TE Phillip Supernaw, DB Steven Terrell, WR Rico Richardson

WolverineFan
05-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Only surprising one to me is Graham. I thought he would at least make it to camp.

76Texan
05-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Only surprising one to me is Graham. I thought he would at least make it to camp.

Too many RBs on the roster.

Vance87
05-14-2014, 04:41 PM
No not Uncle Rico!!

Bulls on Parade
05-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Too many RBs on the roster.
The problem is three of them are injury prone. If we can keep Arian Foster, Andre Brown and Alfred Blue healthy we should have a top five rushing offense in 2014. That would help our unknown quarterback situation a lot. A strong running game and dominating defense would net us an 11-5 or 10-6 record and an AFC wild-card berth regardless of our quarterback play. Assuming it's not so horrible a la Matt Schaub and his pick six burgers last year. All we need is a game manager. Which I believe Tom Savage and Ryan Fitzpatrick can do. Even Case Keenum if he's not asked to throw it a ton.

76Texan
05-14-2014, 04:50 PM
The problem is three of them are injury prone. If we can keep Arian Foster, Andre Brown and Alfred Blue healthy we should have a top five rushing offense in 2014. That would help our unknown quarterback situation a lot. A strong running game and dominating defense would net us an 11-5 or 10-6 record and an AFC wild-card berth regardless of our quarterback play. Assuming it's not so horrible a la Matt Schaub and his pick six burgers last year. All we need is a game manager. Which I believe Tom Savage and Ryan Fitzpatrick can do. Even Case Keenum if he's not asked to throw it a ton.

True, but we're not gonna cut our top 3, are we?

Scooter
05-14-2014, 05:03 PM
surprised about supernaw, i figured he'd at worst be a helpful camp body at the tightend and fullback positions. i wouldnt have penciled him as part of the 53, but would've kept him to or through the first cut.

Seegara
05-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Agreed.

Seegara
05-14-2014, 06:13 PM
The problem is three of them are injury prone. If we can keep Arian Foster, Andre Brown and Alfred Blue healthy we should have a top five rushing offense in 2014. That would help our unknown quarterback situation a lot. A strong running game and dominating defense would net us an 11-5 or 10-6 record and an AFC wild-card berth regardless of our quarterback play. Assuming it's not so horrible a la Matt Schaub and his pick six burgers last year. All we need is a game manager. Which I believe Tom Savage and Ryan Fitzpatrick can do. Even Case Keenum if he's not asked to throw it a ton.We've had running backs named Green and Brown and now Blue. Colorful running game (except in the red zone.)

CloakNNNdagger
05-14-2014, 07:01 PM
surprised about supernaw, i figured he'd at worst be a helpful camp body at the tightend and fullback positions. i wouldnt have penciled him as part of the 53, but would've kept him to or through the first cut.

I was hopeful of Supernaw developing well. However, when he suffered a stress fracture of an unidentified bone of his foot, the prognosis was not able to be determined.........much like the question that I have of Ques, who we don't know what fracture of the foot he sustained.........a favorable prognosis break like a Jones fracture, or another type that would lead to chronic problems and/or susceptible to re-fracture in a big man (like Yao Ming)

Perki-Perk
05-14-2014, 07:11 PM
We've had running backs named Green and Brown and now Blue. Colorful running game (except in the red zone.)

Maybe all those colors will "Foster" in a new era...

Thorn
05-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Enough with the puns already.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/funny-pun-photos-8.jpg?w=750

thunderkyss
05-14-2014, 08:35 PM
I was hopeful of Supernaw developing well. However, when he suffered a stress fracture of an unidentified bone of his foot, the prognosis was not able to be determined.........much like the question that I have of Ques, who we don't know what fracture of the foot he sustained.........a favorable prognosis break like a Jones fracture, or another type that would lead to chronic problems and/or susceptible to re-fracture in a big man (like Yao Ming)

As big a part as TEs are going to be to our offense, I didn't expect this either.

However, I can see why they decided to go this way, next to Whitney he's the only player with a name more bad ass than our QBs...

DBCooper
05-14-2014, 09:16 PM
Enough with the puns already.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/funny-pun-photos-8.jpg?w=750

Making you Blue?

Thorn
05-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Making you Blue?

http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/funny-puns-in-pictures-dumpaday-5.jpg

msbbc833
05-14-2014, 09:37 PM
So we are down to 84 players now? Let the trimming commence!

badboy
05-14-2014, 09:42 PM
The problem is three of them are injury prone. If we can keep Arian Foster, Andre Brown and Alfred Blue healthy we should have a top five rushing offense in 2014. That would help our unknown quarterback situation a lot. A strong running game and dominating defense would net us an 11-5 or 10-6 record and an AFC wild-card berth regardless of our quarterback play. Assuming it's not so horrible a la Matt Schaub and his pick six burgers last year. All we need is a game manager. Which I believe Tom Savage and Ryan Fitzpatrick can do. Even Case Keenum if he's not asked to throw it a ton."I cannot believe you said that! Look what happened to me." signed A J McCarron.

DocBar
05-14-2014, 09:50 PM
"I cannot believe you said that! Look what happened to me." signed A J McCarron.TK is gonna totally neg rep yo azz!!!! LMAO!!!! :barman:

Norg
05-14-2014, 10:02 PM
time to trim a little more of that fat big boy

badboy
05-14-2014, 10:47 PM
TK is gonna totally neg rep yo azz!!!! LMAO!!!! :barman:Nah, he knows I was a fan of McCarron before TK was. I have posted that being a game manager is not necessarily a bad thing especially for this team.

thunderkyss
05-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Nah, he knows I was a fan of McCarron before TK was. I have posted that being a game manager is not necessarily a bad thing especially for this team.

I just don't understand how some one can watch Greg McElroy & J.P. Wilson manage that Alabama offense & still call McCarron a "game manager" in the same ilk. He was more like Russell Wilson than Trent Dilfer, clear as day.

Maybe not good enough to take #1 overall... I understand that, but I thought we cleared that hurdle a long time ago. You want to take Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles in the first fine... I never argued against that. But when you get to the second, third, fourth, fifth... I think it's hard to do better than A.J. McCarron. At least with the information available to the general public.

Insideop
05-14-2014, 11:41 PM

I thought Quessenberry had a knee issue and Brennan Williams was the one with the serious (knee/foot) injury that may not be able to play again. Man that's not good to hear about Quessenberry. I was counting on him taking the RT spot.

dream_team
05-15-2014, 12:05 AM
How many times are we gonna cut Supernaw?

Wolf6151
05-15-2014, 12:33 AM
I thought Quessenberry had a knee issue and Brennan Williams was the one with the serious (knee/foot) injury that may not be able to play again. Man that's not good to hear about Quessenberry. I was counting on him taking the RT spot.

Quessenberry had a broken foot that he sustained in training camp last year. Hopefully he'll heal up fine and be ready to make some major contributions next season. I saw somewhere last week that he's supposedly added some weight and was doing well in OTA's a week ago. B. Williams had the knee injury that required micro-fracture surgery and I've got serious doubts that he ever plays a down for us. I even heard on 610am last week that Kubiak almost cut B. Williams last season due to the injury, so you know it can't be good. I'm hoping that Newton heals up and is better able to play because an injured Newton sucked last year.

Norg
05-15-2014, 01:28 AM

Dats Kubes and rick for yeah

I would say he will be back but kubes is gone now so he might be heading to OL Balty !!!! LOL

I wonder howmuch power kubes has in balty prob zilts to none but I wonder if he will try and bring in some of his old players prob not since they were the ones who got him fired LOL

houstonspartan
05-15-2014, 01:56 AM

I would say he will be back but kubes is gone now so he might be heading to OL Balty !!!! LOL

I wonder howmuch power kubes has in balty prob zilts to none but I wonder if he will try and bring in some of his old players prob not since they were the ones who got him fired LOL

If Baltimore is smart, they'll have Kubiak on such a short leash he'll have to punch a time clock every day. That guy should have less power than the stadium janitor.

Hottoddie
05-15-2014, 03:11 AM

He got OD.

CloakNNNdagger
05-15-2014, 06:56 AM
Quessenberry had a broken foot that he sustained in training camp last year. Hopefully he'll heal up fine and be ready to make some major contributions next season. I saw somewhere last week that he's supposedly added some weight and was doing well in OTA's a week ago. B. Williams had the knee injury that required micro-fracture surgery and I've got serious doubts that he ever plays a down for us. I even heard on 610am last week that Kubiak almost cut B. Williams last season due to the injury, so you know it can't be good. I'm hoping that Newton heals up and is better able to play because an injured Newton sucked last year.

Yes, but I don't know how much anyone can make of that since he was working out only on the SIDE FIELD. That's a little disconcerting as it was a noncontact injury and it is so very long following his foot fracture........way longer than a period you would still be cautious if it were a straight-forward fracture with the fracture in a relatively innocuous anatomic area. We'll just have to see when he once again places repeated heavy stresses on that foot over a long period of time.

dsorc
05-15-2014, 07:32 AM
So we are down to 84 players now? Let the trimming commence!

I think we're still over 90, at least if the roster in the depth chart thread is accurate. More cuts should be coming soon.

Troy Chapman
05-15-2014, 08:48 AM
I think we're still over 90, at least if the roster in the depth chart thread is accurate. More cuts should be coming soon.

94 players by my count if including all the UDFA's. Is it a minimum or maximum of 90 players at training camp?

Playoffs
05-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
The six players the #Texans cut yesterday, including RB Ray Graham, cleared waivers. So they're now free agents.

BullNation4Life
05-15-2014, 04:26 PM

Dunno but I wonder if he can sing like his daddy?

thunderkyss
05-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Does anyone think we'll cut Tom Savage & try to land him on the Practice Squad?

BigBull
05-15-2014, 07:04 PM
I don't. I think he was OBs target all along and will be the second or third string qb to start the season with a chance to start anywhere from 4-8 games this year. All this depends how fast he picks up the offense.

infantrycak
05-15-2014, 07:09 PM

Step away from the bong.

WolverineFan
05-15-2014, 07:11 PM

Absolutely not. Keenum/Yates will compete for the last QB roster spot. Fitzpatrick and Savage are locks.

dsorc
05-15-2014, 07:15 PM
When was the last time a 4th round pick made it to the practice squad? We lost a 6th round NT because we tried to get him to the PS just last year. A mid round QB would have to fail hard in preseason to not be poached from the PS.

xtruroyaltyx
05-15-2014, 07:17 PM

I would put that possibility at 0%.

Even if savage struggles tremendously.

badboy
05-15-2014, 07:25 PM
I just don't understand how some one can watch Greg McElroy & J.P. Wilson manage that Alabama offense & still call McCarron a "game manager" in the same ilk. He was more like Russell Wilson than Trent Dilfer, clear as day.

Maybe not good enough to take #1 overall... I understand that, but I thought we cleared that hurdle a long time ago. You want to take Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles in the first fine... I never argued against that. But when you get to the second, third, fourth, fifth... I think it's hard to do better than A.J. McCarron. At least with the information available to the general public.
totally agree but never gonna change some folks minds. He should be able to sit a while @ Cincy and adjust. Couple years and he could be a very good starter. Anyway time to move to next crop.

drs23
05-15-2014, 11:35 PM

The thing this 'general public' learned through various media outlets that he sucked in the interview process and it turned a pile of teams off. No specifics, just that he interviewed really badly.

A few here (https://www.google.com/search?q=mccarron+bad+interviews&rlz=1C1TSNO_enUS499US500&oq=mccarron+bad+interviews&aqs=chrome..69i57.28688j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8) and Mike & Mike had a segment on it as well.

That, or they just thought he sucked in general. idonno:

Playoffs
05-19-2014, 01:45 PM
How many times are we gonna cut Supernaw?One last time.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Phillip Supernaw to the Ravens. Gary working.

That's one for Norg.

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/116761/micheal-jordan-basketball-game.gif

Playoffs
05-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Texans signed WR Lacoltan Bester, DE Julius Warmsley.

Cut WR Andy Cruse, DL Tyrone Ezell, WR Nathan Slaughter.

Waived/INJ T Chris Martin.

NCTexan
05-19-2014, 03:14 PM
#Texans released WRs Andy Cruse and Nathan Slaughter, DL Tyrone Ezell. Waived OT Chris Martin. Signed WR Lacoltan Bester, DE Julius Warmsley

Some moves. So much for Slaughter.

Edit: I can't even beat him in post-draft...

ObsiWan
05-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Some moves. So much for Slaughter.

Edit: I can't even beat him in post-draft...
So these moves are out-&-out cuts...?
They are not roster moves to sneak these guys onto the practice squad early...?

ChampionTexan
05-19-2014, 04:37 PM
So these moves are out-&-out cuts...?
They are not roster moves to sneak these guys onto the practice squad early...?

There is no practice squad until after the final cut to 53 is made.

ObsiWan
05-19-2014, 04:39 PM
There is no practice squad until after the final cut to 53 is made.
Aaah...
you know I had that thought in the back of my mind as I typed that post but wasn't 100% sure so I thought I'd go ahead and ask.
thx

NCTexan
05-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Aaah...
you know I had that thought in the back of my mind as I typed that post but wasn't 100% sure so I thought I'd go ahead and ask.
thx

Good question. I wasn't sure either, but I figured that was the answer.

kiwitexansfan
05-19-2014, 04:41 PM
Cruse was with the team last year right?

NCTexan
05-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Cruse was with the team last year right?

He spent the season on the practice squad.

kiwitexansfan
05-19-2014, 04:47 PM
He spent the season on the practice squad.

Wow, from Practice Squad to pre pre-season cut.

OB clearing house.

kiwitexansfan
05-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Really wish HT.com would post who is officially signed as UDFA on their website.

They talk about equal treatment for all the rookies but only the drafted ones have names on the HT.com roster.

LIES!

Hottoddie
05-19-2014, 06:20 PM
I would've liked to have seen Cruse get a shot in camp. I liked what I saw last year. Oh well, I'll just have to watch him on Baltimore's team. :D

drs23
05-19-2014, 06:48 PM
I would've liked to have seen Cruse get a shot in camp. I liked what I saw last year. Oh well, I'll just have to watch him on Baltimore's team. :D

Ditto X 2. pee'r. I really liked what I saw. Oh well...

EllisUnit
05-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Dunno but I wonder if he can sing like his daddy?

I didnt call Kubiak daddy when he took care of things, but when the texans cut me on Monday are you gonna bring me anything

badboy
05-19-2014, 10:49 PM
I also looked to see how Cruse would do this year in TC. Anyway..onward thru the night.

Troy Chapman
05-20-2014, 11:15 AM
Really wish HT.com would post who is officially signed as UDFA on their website.

They talk about equal treatment for all the rookies but only the drafted ones have names on the HT.com roster.

LIES!

They do post that information, under transactions. Don't look at the roster right now, it is not up to date.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/transactions.html

Playoffs
06-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Texans announce they have released TE Chris Coyle and DE Sullivan Grosz and signed DL Tim Jackson and OT Will Yeatman

Playoffs
07-21-2014, 05:31 PM
Houston Texans @HoustonTexans

HOUSTON – The Texans have placed the following players on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) List:

NAME POS HT WT AGE EXP COLLEGE
Brian Cushing ILB 6-3 249 27 6 Southern California
Louis Nix III NT 6-2 331 22 R Notre Dame
Trevardo Williams OLB 6-1 236 23 2 Connecticut

The Houston Texans have waived/failed physical the following player:

NAME POS HT WT AGE EXP COLLEGE
Brennan Williams T 6-6 310 23 2 North Carolina

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Brian-Cushing-2-others-placed-on-PUP-list/36d3cd62-92f5-40df-b0cd-3cd52c402b31

DocBar
07-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Houston Texans @HoustonTexans

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Brian-Cushing-2-others-placed-on-PUP-list/36d3cd62-92f5-40df-b0cd-3cd52c402b31Just started a thread on this. With Cushing being on PUP, I thought it was threadworthy. Nix too.

Playoffs
07-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Drew Dougherty @DohertyDrew
New #Texans TE Chris Coyle will wear jersey #85.
Deepi Sidhu @DeepSlant
TE Chris Coyle was signed as a rookie free agent following the the draft. He was released on June 18 during OTAs.

CSN Houston @CSNHouston
The #Texans waive Brad Smelley, Tim Jackson and sign TE Chris Coyle. Roster sits at 88.

@DZangaro has more: http://t.co/rcLtMO3xtn

ObsiWan
07-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Drew Dougherty @DohertyDrew

Deepi Sidhu @DeepSlant

CSN Houston @CSNHouston

from S.I. (http://houseofhouston.com/2014/07/22/houston-texans-release-two-sign-one/)

The Houston Texans have released FB Brad Smelley (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmelBr00.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-houseofhouston.com) and DL Tim Jackson (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackTi20.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-houseofhouston.com), and have signed TE Chris Coyle.
With Smelley’s release, rookie FB Jay Prosch has become the team’s main fullback.
The Houston Texans actually signed Tim Jackson and cut Chris Coyle on June 18th, and have now reversed the transaction.
Coyle signed with the team after the draft but was cut during OTA’s. He will wear #85.
Neither of these moves too relevant in the grand scheme of things. Coyle will have a tough time making the roster with Garrett Graham (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrahGa00.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-houseofhouston.com), Ryan Griffin (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrifRy00.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-houseofhouston.com), and rookie C.J. Fiedorowicz all ahead of him on the depth chart. Neither Jackson nor Smelley were expected to make the final 53-man roster.
The Houston Texans will have their first Training Camp practice on July 26th.

WolverineFan
07-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Physically, Jackson brings a lot to the table. 6'4, 290 lbs and runs a 4.90 forty. 32 bench reps. The guy is a great athlete for his size.

Unfortunately, he never produced at UNC despite a lot of opportunity at a school that churns out defensive prospects.

Troy Chapman
07-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Per multiple twitter sources:

#Texans sign NT David Hunter, who played college ball at Houston. #NFL

Playoffs
07-24-2014, 03:15 PM
AdamWexlerCSN ‏@awexler
Both Powe & Nix are listed at 331. Hunter 301 RT @sportsmediaLM: @awexler how fat is he?

#Texans announce signing of NT David Hunter (Houston) who had been with Houston previously in 2012

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Hunter was with #Texans in 2012.

Camp body for Nix, III.

badboy
07-24-2014, 10:33 PM
I think he could be more than camp fodder.

Hunter spent 2008-11 with the Cougars, totaling 163 tackles and seven sacks in four seasons.

xtruroyaltyx
07-25-2014, 09:07 AM
I actually liked Hunter when he was here before.

Playoffs
07-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Brooks, Sapp, Grimes and Quessenberry all count toward the 90-man roster.

The team has also announced the signing of OT Tyson Clabo. #Texans

David Quessenberry has been added to Active/Non-football illness list. Still counts toward 90-man roster. #Texans

The #Texans have added Brandon Brooks, Jonathan Grimes and Ricky Sapp to Active/Non-football injury list.

Porky
07-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Brandon Brooks? What's his issue?

drs23
07-25-2014, 07:45 PM

Yeah, I don't like the sound of that.

Paper cut at the bank I hope. They're very painful ya know?

CloakNNNdagger
07-25-2014, 09:03 PM

Little was made of an injury that Brooks was dealing with since near the beginning of the season last year..........turf toe.......just like Duane Brown. In that all the "active/non-football illness list" tells you is that the reason for the listing is not based on an injury (does not even have to be an injury, e.g., Quessenbery) suffered practicing or working out with the team.

Just a thought. Both Brooks and Brown were publicized to have trained MMA in the offseason (would fit the definition). Someone suffering from a turf toe does not tend to do well with kicking maneuvers involved in MMA........not a real smart type of activity for a previous injury that commonly recurs and as such can easily become chronic.

Playoffs
07-26-2014, 09:58 AM

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Didn't go into detail on length of time on Brooks, said Sapp back in 1-2 weeks

Sources say that Brandon Brooks was placed on the NFI list due to a back issue & Ricky Sapp due to a deep gash around the ankle. #Texans

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock

If you trust the injury explanation, MMA is also great for the back.:kitten:

Playoffs
07-26-2014, 04:06 PM
If you trust the injury explanation, MMA is also great for the back.
OB seemed a little put out with him, so it may have been extra-curricular.

Playoffs
07-26-2014, 09:13 PM
Adam Caplan @caplannfl
OLB Lawrence Sidbury is expected to sign with the #Texans, per source.

Sidbury, a fourth-round pick in 2009, spent the first four seasons of his NFL career with the Falcons. Although he was active in 48 games for the team, he played sparingly, totaling just 362 defensive snaps in those four years, along with occasional contributions on special teams. The 28-year-old signed joined the Colts in 2013, but was sidelined with a shoulder injury and landed on injured reserve.
Height: 6-3
Weight: 269

More size, camp body.

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
One year, vet minimum deal

dalemurphy
07-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Adam Caplan @caplannfl

Height: 6-3
Weight: 269

More size, camp body.

very good athlete... but he never has figured it out in the NFL. He has the potential to make an impact as a pass rusher. I like the optimism. Instead of adding bodies in camp that don't belong in the NFL but have ties to some of the coaches, we are signing guys that could become real assets if they figure it out. Good move.

infantrycak
07-26-2014, 09:33 PM
very good athlete... but he never has figured it out in the NFL. He has the potential to make an impact as a pass rusher. I like the optimism. Instead of adding bodies in camp that don't belong in the NFL but have ties to some of the coaches, we are signing guys that could become real assets if they figure it out. Good move.

How many guys figure it out after 5 years?

Why is 3 years too much patience for the Texans' picks?

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2014, 09:38 PM
IIRC, a lot of us liked him when he was coming out of college... at least, I remember him being one of the guys on my list, at any rate... but if he hadn't put it together, yet, and has been one of the problems on that Falcon defense...

I'd say he's turned out to be JAG and I doubt he'll be anything but a blocking dummy.

dalemurphy
07-26-2014, 11:04 PM
How many guys figure it out after 5 years?

Why is 3 years too much patience for the Texans' picks?

Your second question is coming from left field.

To answer your first: not many. I'm simply stating that I like that they are filling the back end of their 90 man roster with a guy that has potential, even if it is not likely to see it realized.

RT22
07-26-2014, 11:35 PM
Texans | Will sign Quentin Groves

Sat, 26 Jul 2014 21:09:21 -0700
The Houston Texans will sign free-agent LB Quentin Groves (Browns).

Comment | Source: FOXSports.com - Mike Garafolo | Share:

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz38dl0aWYb

xtruroyaltyx
07-27-2014, 12:42 AM
I like that competition. Olb is a weak spot on this defense with Mercilus and reed. Clowney is a rookie. Need guys that can at least be in a rotation and give some good snaps.

Need Mercilus to take a big leap forward. A huge leap. I'll be surprised if it happens, but it's possible.

Either way, he and Reed need to have some talent behind them just in case.

WolverineFan
07-27-2014, 12:57 AM
I was a huge fan of Sidbury when he came out. He was obviously a project, but had a great set of tools to work with. Really hoping he can figure it out.

TheRealJoker
07-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Texans | Will sign Quentin Groves

Sat, 26 Jul 2014 21:09:21 -0700
The Houston Texans will sign free-agent LB Quentin Groves (Browns).

Comment | Source: FOXSports.com - Mike Garafolo | Share:

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz38dl0aWYb

Former Jags 2nd round pick in 08. This will be his 5th NFL team. I don't have high hopes for the former pass rushing specialist out of Auburn.

pirbroke
07-27-2014, 07:55 AM
Hmmm two OLB's. Maybe Reeds experiment in the middle is going full go.

Playoffs
07-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Quentin Groves at 6'3", 265 lbs gives the Texans yet another camp body to allow them to run two full sets of 11-on-11 drills, which gives a lot more reps to down the roster players during camp -- instead of 22 guys working & 68 guys watching.

Reason behind the #Texans signings of 2 LBers today Only Whitney Mercilus & 3 UDFAs are completely healthy & full-time OLBers at training camp Ricky Sapp and Trevardo Williams are currently sidelined, Jadeveon Clowney isn't full go, and Brooks Reed will split time at ILB & OLB this season. That leaves Whitney Mercilus, Jason Ankrah, Terrance Lloyd, and Chris McAllister as the only full-time OLBs that are completely healthy. -- Braddock

Playoffs
07-27-2014, 09:03 AM
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
With OLBs Groves and Sidbury at practice, 2 players have 2B moved to stay @90. Hearing Cody White & Alan Bonner the moves, hearing no1 cut

Injury moves to be made to get back to 90. Shame for Bonner. Hope it's not the hammy, again.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2014, 09:36 AM

Injury moves to be made to get back to 90. Shame for Bonner. Hope it's not the hammy, again.

I was thinking the same (recurrent hamstring). But anatomic (medical) definition of "leg" is the portion of the lower limb between the knee and ankle only (including tibia and fibula, calf muscles, Achilles tendon, etc.). The term is sometimes used incorrectly to refer to the entire "lower limb" (with what should be the true anatomic "leg" in this case designated by the term "lower leg") Most teams and their medical staffs are sophisticated enough that they differentiate the two terms and use the correct anatomic designation in reporting injuries. So, technically, Bonner's injury should not reflect another hamstring tear..............

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2014, 12:37 PM
To reinforce the anatomic definition of "leg" in my post above, Cody White who was reported to have a "right leg injury," has now been identified as having a torn Achilles tendon.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2014, 12:53 PM
I was thinking the same (recurrent hamstring). But anatomic (medical) definition of "leg" is the portion of the lower limb between the knee and ankle only (including tibia and fibula, calf muscles, Achilles tendon, etc.). The term is sometimes used incorrectly to refer to the entire "lower limb" (with what should be the true anatomic "leg" in this case designated by the term "lower leg") Most teams and their medical staffs are sophisticated enough that they differentiate the two terms and use the correct anatomic designation in reporting injuries. So, technically, Bonner's injury should not reflect another hamstring tear..............

I did not know that technical distinction.

Thanks!

VTexan
07-27-2014, 01:46 PM
this is how i imagine doc feels after he dishes out some med talk

http://i.imgur.com/oIJEuK6.gif

EllisUnit
07-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Picture 660 looks like some kind of special Olympics event :scarygirl:

EllisUnit
07-27-2014, 01:54 PM
opps wrong thread

kiwitexansfan
07-27-2014, 04:25 PM

So what does one call the upper part of the lower limb in reporting out of curiosity?

Playoffs
07-27-2014, 05:16 PM
It's official, #Texans waived the following players injured: Alan Bonner, Cody White.

Also Texans waive Anthony Dima. He left the team.

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
They'll [Bonner/White] revert to IR if they aren't claimed. Could have injury settlements

DocBar
07-27-2014, 06:27 PM
So what does one call the upper part of the lower limb in reporting out of curiosity? The thigh....

Playoffs
07-27-2014, 08:11 PM

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
WR Alan Bonner, who was waived injured, suffered a fractured foot.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2014, 08:31 PM

The anatomic leg and anatomic foot, just like the anatomic thigh and anatomic leg, are distinctly separate entities. Either they originally used the wrong term, or very likely, the correct diagnosis of the injury was not made until after the initial report.

Playoffs
07-27-2014, 08:33 PM
The anatomic leg and anatomic foot, just like the anatomic thigh and anatomic leg, are distinctly separate entities. Either they originally used the wrong term, or very likely, the correct diagnosis of the injury was not made until after the initial report.

Or they're :stooges:

dc_txtech
07-27-2014, 09:32 PM
The thigh....

Pffft I doubt if Docbar is even a real doctor.

:kitten:

badboy
07-27-2014, 09:47 PM

I think he has a PHD in hanging in bars.

DocBar
07-28-2014, 07:46 AM

I think he has a PHD in hanging in bars.I've been busted!!
Actually, DocBar was a very famous quarterhorse.:cowboy1:
I would be an attorney, but I haven't found the 1st bar I could pass!!:toropalm:

Troy Chapman
07-28-2014, 08:49 AM

Bonner & White only revert back to Houston's IR if Houston chooses to do so.

Also B. Williams cleared waivers but Houston did not retain him to their IR.

ChampionTexan
07-28-2014, 11:07 AM
Bonner & White only revert back to Houston's IR if Houston chooses to do so.

Also B. Williams cleared waivers but Houston did not retain him to their IR.

Kind of.

Bonner and White will automatically revert to the Texans IR list unless the Texans reach an injury settlement with them. The injury settlement route is very likely to the the route the Texans go, but they can't just walk away without doing something more.

Williams situation is different because it relates to an injury incurred during a previous season. Different rules and remedies apply to that.

CloakNNNdagger
07-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 34s

#Texans think real highly of Ricky Sapp and he knows the defense, now. Team will continue to churn roster. Could make his way back in '14.

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 44s

#Texans have released OLB Ricky Sapp, who was on NFI list. Surprised they didn't wait for him to heal.

DocBar
07-28-2014, 04:22 PM

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 34s

#Texans think real highly of Ricky Sapp and he knows the defense, now. Team will continue to churn roster. Could make his way back in '14.

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 44s

#Texans have released OLB Ricky Sapp, who was on NFI list. Surprised they didn't wait for him to heal.

Could mean the coaching staff likes what they see from the other guys?
:koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

Playoffs
07-28-2014, 04:25 PM
#Texans have released OLB Ricky Sapp, who was on NFI list.

Just shows to go you the best "ability" is availability.

I wonder if he got the "gash around his ankle" the same night he mixed it up with that ex-singer gal he called the cops on???

DocBar
07-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Just goes to show you the best "ability" is availability.

I wonder if he got the "gash around his ankle" the same night he mixed it up with that ex-singer gal he called the cops on???FIFY :boogereater:

So that's the guy with the gash around the ankle? :thinking::smiliepalm:

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2014, 08:58 AM
Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 30s

RT @McClain_on_NFL: Texans sign RB Tim Cornett and OT Mike Farrell. Waived LB Ricky Sapp. Put on IR injured G Cody White and WR Alan Bonner.

Although he accomplished a 4.9 ypc av last year (and 5.1 with a torn shoulder labrum in 2012), Cornett's Draft Profile not very impressive:

Analysis

Strengths Thick, muscular build. Outstanding timed speed. Is tough and will play through injuries (battled through a torn left labrum as a junior). Very good weight-room worker. Terrific production -- UNLV's all-time leading rusher. Has kickoff-return experience.

Weaknesses Tight-hipped and straight-linish. Marginal power and tackle-breaking strength -- limited yards after contact. Minimal creativity to set up runs -- takes little more than the defense gives him. Runs tall and is easily turned on contact. Struggles to take the corner. Average balance and body control. Struggles negotiating through traffic. Does not play to his timed speed. Passive blocker.

Draft Projection Priority free agent

Bottom Line A one-cut zone runner lacking ideal balance and competitiveness desired on the front lines and the temperament for special teams. More of a workout warrior than football player at this stage of his development and will be challenged to produce against better competition. ...link (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/tim-cornett?id=2543667)

Farrell is an OB Penn State Adoptee who seemed to show great promise after OB took over.

DocBar
07-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Although he accomplished a 4.9 ypc av last year (with 0 TDs) Cornett's Draft Profile not very impressive:

link (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/tim-cornett?id=2543667)

Bottom Line A one-cut zone runner lacking ideal balance and competitiveness desired on the front lines and the temperament for special teams. More of a workout warrior than football player at this stage of his development and will be challenged to produce against better competition. ...
That's a pretty harsh assessment right there.

Playoffs
07-29-2014, 09:48 AM
Man, Briane Gaine & the scouts are putting some work in. Roster moves are kind of ridiculously high, seems like.

Rick said they have all of their scouts, college & pro, out working now with Texans having #1 spot on waiver wire.

xtruroyaltyx
07-29-2014, 10:08 AM
He went to Northshore too...

DocBar
07-29-2014, 11:35 AM
We can finally quit worrying about the Texans signing this guy (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24641571/report-ot-eric-winston-signs-one-year-deal-with-seahawks)again!!! Whew!! :texanbill:

Troy Chapman
07-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Kind of.

Bonner and White will automatically revert to the Texans IR list unless the Texans reach an injury settlement with them. The injury settlement route is very likely to the the route the Texans go, but they can't just walk away without doing something more.

Williams situation is different because it relates to an injury incurred during a previous season. Different rules and remedies apply to that.

Good points; yes it is quite a complicated process. Both White and Bonner are now on Houston's IR.

WolverineFan
07-29-2014, 12:56 PM
I actually liked Cornett coming out. He was one of my higher rated UDFA's. Definitely has the physical tools but needs some direction. It's worth noting that he signed with Arizona after the draft and already washed out.

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2014, 09:37 PM
He went to Northshore too...

And Blue is a Louisiana to Humble transplant after Katrina.

barrett
07-30-2014, 12:45 AM
Despite O'Brien's positive statements about Newton, does anyone else think that the two RT's signed in the past few days might suggest that maybe Newton hasn't shown the kind of improvement that O'Brien perhaps expected to see?

Clabo is a sloppy vet who can get it done Brisiel-style but I'd hate to see him in there as a starter by any means other than injury. The other kid, Ferrel I believe, is a known for the head coach.

I just have to wonder. I'm very, very curious to see how this plays out. My biggest fear is that our offensive line will not be good enough, from an ability standpoint, for us to execute the scheme well enough to keep QB#14 upright.

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2014, 06:00 AM
Despite O'Brien's positive statements about Newton, does anyone else think that the two RT's signed in the past few days might suggest that maybe Newton hasn't shown the kind of improvement that O'Brien perhaps expected to see?

Clabo is a sloppy vet who can get it done Brisiel-style but I'd hate to see him in there as a starter by any means other than injury. The other kid, Ferrel I believe, is a known for the head coach.

I just have to wonder. I'm very, very curious to see how this plays out. My biggest fear is that our offensive line will not be good enough, from an ability standpoint, for us to execute the scheme well enough to keep QB#14 upright.

I don't know if signing 2 tackles is a sign of no confidence towards Newton. It is probably more a reflection of lack of OL depth following the loss of recent Quess and White.

barrett
07-30-2014, 12:57 PM
I don't know if signing 2 tackles is a sign of no confidence towards Newton. It is probably more a reflection of lack of OL depth following the loss of recent Quess and White.

I just thought the timing seemed odd following a few days in pads. Quessenberry has been out for a bit. White, I can't remember for certain but I believe was an interior linemen, correct?

7/21 - B. Williams waived. (if I'm not mistaken, we knew his career was done last year. This was degenerative if I'm remembering correctly.)

7/25 - Quessenberry is IR'd and Clabo signed so that's a one for one I suppose.

7/29 - Farrell signed (after being found wandering in the wilderness)

dalemurphy
07-30-2014, 12:58 PM

Barrett,

New era. The back end of the roster will be continually turned over in an effort to gain any advantage possible, even if that is the 9th offensive lineman, who also improves the front line on the kick return team. I don't think we will see backups, who do not truly excel on special teams, survive the roster for 3+ years anymore. There is too much focus on genuine competition and too much belief in the quality/value of coaching for a player to simply maintain a backup role on the depth chart... Either he will be genuinely pushing the starter, a stud on special teams, or he won't survive a second training camp.

DocBar
07-30-2014, 01:03 PM
I just thought the timing seemed odd following a few days in pads. Quessenberry has been out for a bit. White, I can't remember for certain but I believe was an interior linemen, correct?

Most accounts I've read have been positive about Newton in TC. Needs to work on consistency and technique but is now healthy enough to do so.

barrett
07-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Most accounts I've read have been positive about Newton in TC. Needs to work on consistency and technique but is now healthy enough to do so.

I've read as much, also. That's why the moves stood out on my radar. (I have an actual radar)

barrett
07-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Barrett,

New era. The back end of the roster will be continually turned over in an effort to gain any advantage possible, even if that is the 9th offensive lineman, who also improves the front line on the kick return team. I don't think we will see backups, who do not truly excel on special teams, survive the roster for 3+ years anymore. There is too much focus on genuine competition and too much belief in the quality/value of coaching for a player to simply maintain a backup role on the depth chart... Either he will be genuinely pushing the starter, a stud on special teams, or he won't survive a second training camp.

(bold added for emphasis)

I'm not sure we have enough information... but I'm hopeful that will be the case. There is no question that this staff has been very active, as many new staff's are.

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2014, 01:25 PM

7/21 - B. Williams waived. (if I'm not mistaken, we knew his career was done last year. This was degenerative if I'm remembering correctly.)

7/25 - Quessenberry is IR'd and Clabo signed so that's a one for one I suppose.

7/29 - Farrell signed (after being found wandering in the wilderness)

White was IR'd on 07/28. If you remember in college, he was moved from TE to the offensive line during 2010 spring practice and played in all 11 games in the fall spending time at both tackle positions. He then started all 11 games in 2011 at left tackle and was part of a line that allowed only three sacks during the season. So just like Quess, he was counted on as depth at both G and OT if needed.

DocBar
07-30-2014, 01:38 PM
I've read as much, also. That's why the moves stood out on my radar. (I have an actual radar):faildetector:

badboy
07-30-2014, 11:58 PM
I've read as much, also. That's why the moves stood out on my radar. (I have an actual radar)I'll see your radar and call with my sources.

bayoudreamn
07-31-2014, 01:24 AM
Reminds me of the long running television series, M*A*S*H, and the character "Radar".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlkxcC79LA8

DocBar
08-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Texans add a pair (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/01/texans-add-a-pair-including-former-panthers-fourth-rounder/)
Didn't we just trade a Schwab? I hope this Schwab ends up better than the last Schwab they had!:peek:

Playoffs
08-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Texans add a pair (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/01/texans-add-a-pair-including-former-panthers-fourth-rounder/)

John McClain
Texans sign WR Joe Adams and OT Brice Schawb

WR Joe Adams played at Arkansas and was Carolina's 4th rd pick in 2013. Played at Edmonton this year. Also returns kickoffs.

OT Brice Schwab is 6-7, 302 and went 2 Arizona State. Signed with Bucs and also spent time with Pats last season on p squad. Adds depth 4 OL
Adam Wexler @awexler
T Bryan Witzmann was #72. Suspect he’s waived,then IR(arm) RT

@DZangaro: #Texans new WR Joe Adams will wear #6. New OT Brice Schwab - #72
Well I'm here at #texans practice & I don't see Trevardo Williams. With 2 new players at practice, him and T Bryan Witzmann are the moves
Texans keep signing guys due to various injuries to keep roster active & full.

xtruroyaltyx
08-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Texans have a real live game in a week?

I just want to shout and scream.

IDEXAN
08-01-2014, 08:53 AM
I remember this Joe Adams from the Senior Bowl a couple years ago when he came out of Arkansas and was on his way to the NFL. Very talented, very exciting open field runner, after a catch or returning punts. However sounds like he's got some serious "ball security" issues, but still looks like O'Brien and staff looking for a return guy so they'll check him out.

gohogs14
08-01-2014, 09:10 AM
I remember this Joe Adams from the Senior Bowl a couple years ago when he came out of Arkansas and was on his way to the NFL. Very talented, very exciting open field runner, after a catch or returning punts. However sounds like he's got some serious "ball security" issues, but still looks like O'Brien and staff looking for a return guy so they'll check him out.

Yep. He had a stroke in college too so that probably scared a lot of teams off.

Made a lot of plays though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtd2pNdsWUU

DocBar
08-01-2014, 09:19 AM
I remember this Joe Adams from the Senior Bowl a couple years ago when he came out of Arkansas and was on his way to the NFL. Very talented, very exciting open field runner, after a catch or returning punts. However sounds like he's got some serious "ball security" issues, but still looks like O'Brien and staff looking for a return guy so they'll check him out.Never hurts to kick the tires on these guys in TC and PS.

IDEXAN
08-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Never hurts to kick the tires on these guys in TC and PS.

Absolutely, especially with us having first crack this year at anybody coming available on the waiver-wire.

CloakNNNdagger
08-01-2014, 10:03 AM
With Martin (with his ball security issues) still continuing to be auditioned for punt returner, you know that they are desperate.

xtruroyaltyx
08-01-2014, 10:30 AM
So we're going to cut Trevardo?

If so, good. Clear those guys out.

Troy Chapman
08-01-2014, 10:31 AM
So we're going to cut Trevardo?

If so, good. Clear those guys out.

Appears so. And Whitzman to IR (if clears waivers).

Playoffs
08-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Romeo Crennel says OLB Trevardo Williams has been released

xtruroyaltyx
08-01-2014, 10:59 AM

Good.

TEXANRED
08-01-2014, 11:14 AM
one year removed from the 2013 draft and we are left with 3 players. WOW.

xtruroyaltyx
08-01-2014, 11:19 AM

Good!

More chances for Undrafted Guys and the Journeymen that are better players than the scrubs we drafted.

TheRealJoker
08-01-2014, 11:21 AM

So normally we should wait 3-5 years to judge a draft... but I think it's safe to say 2013 was the worst draft in team history!

Troy Chapman
08-01-2014, 11:25 AM

Yep 3 on the active roster. Quess on NFI and Bonner on IR (again).

TEXANRED
08-01-2014, 11:26 AM
So normally we should wait 3-5 years to judge a draft... but I think it's safe to say 2013 was the worst draft in team history!

We might as well have not even had a draft.

Carr Bombed
08-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Rick Smith should've been fired just on the results of that one draft. To already write that many draft selections off after just one year is beyond pathetic.

Troy Chapman
08-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Well Chris Jones was not a miss by RS, but a miss by the coaching staff.

Edit

HOU-TEX
08-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Well Chris Martin was not a miss by RS, but a miss by the coaching staff.

Chris Martin?

Troy Chapman
08-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Chris Martin?

6th round pick, waived by the coaching staff. Picked up by New England, 5.5 sacks after Wilfork went down.

Texian
08-01-2014, 12:06 PM
and yet the folks who do all the initial scouting and evaluating of talent are all still there doing what they do.....

thunderkyss
08-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Rick Smith should've been fired just on the results of that one draft. To already write that many draft selections off after just one year is beyond pathetic.

Hard to argue.

TheIronDuke
08-01-2014, 12:10 PM
6th round pick, waived by the coaching staff. Picked up by New England, 5.5 sacks after Wilfork went down.

Chris Jones.

I remember Trevardo Williams compared his play as similar to Dwight Freeney on the radio last year. Uh huh.

houstonspartan
08-01-2014, 12:14 PM

As much as I blame this team's performance on Kubiak and bad coaching, once you get into the 3rd and 4th rounds, that's all on the GM.

I think Rick should have been kept after last year, to give him a chance to see what he's got away from Kubiak's shadow. But he needs to be on a REALLY short leash. And, yeah, that many players gone after one year is not acceptable. At all.

Kubiak was a terrible coach, but 3rd rounders failing (and overall lack of depth on the team) is all on the GM.

TheIronDuke
08-01-2014, 12:15 PM

Ehhh, I don't know about that. 2005 was absolute trash and we didn't even get anything approaching talent besides Jerome Mathis who flashed one year. At least we got Griffen and Hopkins in 2013.

2005 draft:

1/16 Travis Johnson Defensive tackle Florida State
3/73 Vernand Morency Running back Oklahoma State
4/114 Jerome Mathis Wide receiver Hampton
5/151 Drew Hodgdon Center Arizona State
6/188 C.C. Brown Safety Louisiana-Lafayette
7/277 Kenneth Pettway Linebacker Grambling

2013 is probably Smith's worst draft ever probably tied with 2007 at least.

Troy Chapman
08-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Chris Jones.

I remember Trevardo Williams compared his play as similar to Dwight Freeney on the radio last year. Uh huh.

Thanks for the correction.

Playoffs
08-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Eric SanInocencio ‏@EricSan
Now that Joe Adams is a #Texan, it gives me a reason to share this video. One of the best punt returns ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvZdu3RLeLU …

NCTexan
08-01-2014, 01:47 PM

Damn. Dude is fast.

Malloy
08-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Never seen so many missed tackles before in my life...

Trap_Star
08-01-2014, 02:10 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Xh8c5.gif

False Start
08-01-2014, 02:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Xh8c5.gif

Holy crap! I remember seeing this gif, awhile back. I would have never thought the Texans would end up with the troll returner. :littlelol:

Next GM should be... :mcclain:

Playoffs
08-01-2014, 05:09 PM
John McClain @McClain_on_NFL Jul 30
Texans waive LB Ricky Sapp

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock
Hearing that Ricky Sapp could be back in Texas soon. Cowboys are interested & wouldn't be surprised if Texans bring back, when fully healed.

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2014, 08:30 AM

# Seahawks waived OG Bronson Irwin Tuesday and is now the latest member on the #Texans roster. 6'4 316 Oklahoma

cuppacoffee
08-02-2014, 08:45 AM

# Seahawks waived OG Bronson Irwin Tuesday and is now the latest member on the #Texans roster. 6'4 316 Oklahoma

No one is going to sneak someone to their practice squad before we take a look?

:coffee:

EllisUnit
08-02-2014, 10:07 AM

Thats a good thing IMO, there is always room for improvement

ObsiWan
08-02-2014, 10:38 AM

link (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208409656)
Played in all 13 games ... started at right tackle in the Sugar Bowl vs. Alabama (1/2) ... ... started at left guard at Oklahoma State (12/7) after making the first start of career at the position at Kansas State (11/23) ... made six starts at right guard: against Iowa State (11/16), Baylor (11/7), Texas Tech (10/26), Kansas (10/19), Texas (10/12) and TCU (10/5)
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/20120711_irwin.jpg
Named Academic All-Big 12 Second Team ... started all 13 games at right guard... made first career start at UTEP (9/1).
Smart and versatile; definitely an O'Brien kind of guy.
:fostering:
Okay Cloak, what's the injury scoop on this dude?
Looks like a decent pickup; there must be something amiss if the Seahawks let him walk. It's not like they had the greatest O-Line last year.

Playoffs
08-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
The #Texans cut TE Chris Coyle to make room for G Bronson Irwin.

PapaL
08-03-2014, 12:00 AM
link (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208409656) Smart and versatile; definitely an O'Brien kind of guy.
Looks like a decent pickup; there must be something amiss if the Seahawks let him walk. It's not like they had the greatest O-Line last year.
Didn't they just pick up Winston?

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2014, 01:30 AM
link (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208409656) Smart and versatile; definitely an O'Brien kind of guy.

In college, he was pretty much considered to be a road grader and mauler in the run game........his strong suit was the strong side of the offensive line. He played 2 seasons at both the right guard and right tackle positions and held up commendably. But at this level the right tackle position may be too much for his level of foot work/mobility. With Brooks status making him questionable, this may be where they want to try Irwin out.......and also see if has any value at potential filling in at right tackle. For the latter, he may present the same deficiencies we saw in Winston's pass protection.

BTW, he has had no history of injuries throughout his college career.......and he has even managed to stay injury-free during his extensive professional career.:texflag:

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2014, 02:08 AM
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 3h

#Texans released TE Chris Coyle with the rarely used "failure to disclose physical condition" designation.

This designation was evidently instituted by the NFL during the 2012 season.

The "Failure to Disclose Physical Condition" tag was instituted last year, and it's an interesting and lesser used one. It gained a little bit of fame when the Patriots cut defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene in August, a few months after paying him nearly $4 million in a signing bonus. This is what the Patriots' Jonathan Kraft said about the "Failure to Disclose Physical Condition" tag back then:

"So the idea is you need to disclose everything that is going on with your personal situation and then you sign it, and it's a legal document. And if somebody isn't completely up front with everything that's going on there and eventually that leads to them not being able to perform, you have a situation where it's probably best to part ways.

And the NFL, just in the last week or two, created a new designation which is released I think is failure to disclose, or failure to disclose conditions, something like that. And I think this situation falls into that category. And it's one thing if a player comes in, performs as he asked to do and develops a serious injury in the line of duty, that happens all the time, and you see your obligation through.

But in cases where somebody may not have been completely accurate up front, I think it leads to a different situation, and this probably falls into that category more than the other one."link (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/2/20/4008322/kevin-bosss-release-chiefs-failed-physical)

Too bad someone didn't slap the tag on our disingenuous wounded duck safety last year.

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2014, 02:11 AM

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 3h

Bryan Witzmann (Texans), Tariq Edwards (Dolphins), Travis Howard (Giants), and Jesse Williams (Seahawks) all went unclaimed & revert to IR.

sandman
08-03-2014, 03:57 AM
We might as well have not even had a draft.

9 players in that draft, with five still being on the team and one playing for NE. 3 out of 9 picks you can point to and say they were bad. Are you really going to say that RS screwed up drafting a kid that got cancer?

#2 starting WR
Potential starting safety
TE that fits BOB's system (big and has gotten bigger)
Versatile OL
And a DT castoff that NE of all places was able to get production from

Not saying the 3rd/4th round picks didn't hurt, but this class was nowhere close to the epic fail of the 2005 draft class.

ObsiWan
08-03-2014, 04:08 AM
In college, he was pretty much considered to be a road grader and mauler in the run game........his strong suit was the strong side of the offensive line. He played 2 seasons at both the right guard and right tackle positions and held up commendably. But at this level the right tackle position may be too much for his level of foot work/mobility. With Brooks status making him questionable, this may be where they want to try Irwin out.......and also see if has any value at potential filling in at right tackle. For the latter, he may present the same deficiencies we saw in Winston's pass protection.

BTW, he has had no history of injuries throughout his college career.......and he has even managed to stay injury-free during his extensive professional career.:texflag:

An injury free pickup? How did that happen?

ObsiWan
08-03-2014, 04:16 AM
Didn't they just pick up Winston?
You mean the Seahawks, yeah, I think they did (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11280005/seattle-seahawks-ink-nflpa-president-eric-winston). It's a one year deal.

Breno Giacomini (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11384/breno-giacomini), who started at right tackle for the Seahawks last season, signed a free-agent deal with the Jets this offseason. Before Winston's addition, second-year offensive lineman Michael Bowie (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/15975/michael-bowie) and rookie Justin Britt (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/16742/justin-britt) had been competing this offseason to fill the right tackle spot.
Winston played his first six NFL seasons with the Texans, joined the Chiefs in 2012 and the Cardinals last season. Winston has started 119 consecutive games, the second-longest streak for an active player. He also has played in 124 straight regular-season games, also second-most among active players.

Apparently the 'Hawks needed a RT and not a OG.

Playoffs
08-03-2014, 05:25 PM
AdamWexlerCSN ‏@awexler
#Texans awarded Sam Longo (Dolphins) via waivers. Waive Brice Schwab. Longo is a center, played at Cincinnati.

Height: 6045
Weight: 301
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 47

And the search continues.

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
I hope Brice Schwab enjoyed his day with the Texans.
:spit:

Number19
08-03-2014, 07:01 PM
I hope Longo proves capable. I'm OK with Myers, but driving out of town this morning got to thinking that I'd like to see someone a little more stout at the position.

6'-4" and 301#, with 47 reps might prove a better 1-1 match with a NT. Has 33 1/4" arms and 10 1/8" hands. Physically impressive. Had an end of the season injury and foot surgery. Wasn't invited to the combine but had an impressive pro day, although not 100%. Went undrafted.

Also plays OG. Excelled at run blocking.

Will be a long shot; maybe a candidate for the PS.

TejasTom
08-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro

I hope Brice Schwab enjoyed his day with the Texans.

At least we aren't putting names on jerseys yet.

xtruroyaltyx
08-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Texans putting the equipment people to work.

TejasTom
08-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Texans Release WR Kofi Hughes

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/kofi-hughes/5569631c-2feb-4df1-a41b-4ce788eaff1a/

thunderkyss
08-11-2014, 08:33 AM
I was really expecting this thread to be blowing up by now.

Honoring Earl 34
08-11-2014, 08:49 AM

Peter King in the MMQB on SI.com says he expects Mallett to get cut . I think I'd throw a 7th round pick for him .

When is the first cuts ?

Hervoyel
08-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Peter King in the MMQB on SI.com says he expects Mallett to get cut . I think I'd throw a 7th round pick for him .

When is the first cuts ?

Why? If he gets cut don't we get first crack at him anyway?

HOU-TEX
08-11-2014, 08:59 AM

Why would it be blowing up? There hasn't been any "Texans Roster Moves".

Do we think there needs to be? Indeed

Why? If he gets cut don't we get first crack at him anyway?

Yup

xtruroyaltyx
08-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Merciless was out there late in the third quarter struggling against guys that aren't going to make a team.

That's not a good sign for him.

I'd be searching the waiver wire for outside pass rushers.

HOU-TEX
08-11-2014, 09:06 AM
Merciless was out there late in the third quarter struggling against guys that aren't going to make a team.

That's not a good sign for him.

I'd be searching the waiver wire for outside pass rushers.

Agreed! Thanks for the reminder. Although, our entire offense and majority of defense struggled against 2s, 3s, 4s, etc

ChampionTexan
08-11-2014, 09:18 AM

When is the first cuts ?

After the third preseason game.

Playoffs
08-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Peter King in the MMQB on SI.com says he expects Mallett to get cut . I think I'd throw a 7th round pick for him.

I guess that 6th we offered isn't on the table anymore...

If Pats are going to cut Mallett I'd think they'd want Orton in camp asap to get him up to speed. Still doesn't make sense to me, but I'm no Belichick.

Playoffs
08-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Texans today work out 3 running backs: Brian Leonard, William Powell, Ronnie Brown.

Hmmm.... Andre Brown going bye-bye?

HOU-TEX
08-11-2014, 04:26 PM

Possibly, or both he and Dennis Johnson. He's had a rough camp from what I've gathered

xtruroyaltyx
08-11-2014, 04:27 PM
I like Brian Leonard...Ronnie Brown...if they have anything left...

Leonard is older but don't think he has much tread...not sure of their injury history either...

Leonard might be able to play a little FB if needed as well...

PHILLYTEXANFAN
08-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Andre Brown cut per bleacher report

EllisUnit
08-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Fitzpatrick cut per bleacher report

Would of been better !

CloakNNNdagger
08-11-2014, 07:07 PM

You were correct. I just think that DJ is not far behind.........unless they can find him a ball that does not have a built-in ground-seeking homing device.:chef:

Playoffs
08-11-2014, 07:21 PM
You were correct. I just think that DJ is not far behind...

Side by side, DJ is gonzo too, nice call.

Better be able to pick up the protections... and have some receiving capabilities... and hang onto the rock.

DJ got Savage blown up in the end zone and considered for potential concussion. Now he's on the street.

michaelm
08-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Dennis Johnson also released.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/11/texans-release-two-runningbacks/

Playoffs
08-11-2014, 07:41 PM
John McClain @ mcclain_on_nfl
Texans cut RBs Tim Cornett, Andre Brown and Dennis Johnson.

http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/icons8/ios7/128/Hands-Three-Fingers-icon.png :barman:

Josina Anderson @josinaanderson
Texans sign RB William Powell to 2 year deal.

Said Eagles GM Howie Roseman of the 5-9, 207-pound Powell, per PhiladelphiaEagles.com: “Good vision, quick, runs really hard, he can also return kickoffs … he’s a little undersized in terms of height but he’s fun to watch because he’s getting yards after contact.”
Maybe kickoff return guy...?

EllisUnit
08-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Only positive about the game was the running game and then today we release virtually every RB we have, including one who didnt even get a chance to play in the game. Am i missing something. If anything a few secondary guys would seem like logical cuts.

DX-TEX
08-11-2014, 07:56 PM
PDS ‏@PatDStat · 4m
#Texans RT @JosinaAnderson: Source: Texans sign RB William Powell to a 2-year deal.

I don't know who that is,

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2014, 08:01 PM
PDS ‏@PatDStat · 4m
#Texans RT @JosinaAnderson: Source: Texans sign RB William Powell to a 2-year deal.

I don't know who that is,

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608031459416867888&pid=15.1

DX-TEX
08-11-2014, 08:02 PM
I STILL don't know who this is.

Marshall
08-11-2014, 08:03 PM

When is the first cuts ?
That's a total waste of a seventh round pick when you have the first position on the waiver wire. That's IF we want to pick him up at all.

Honoring Earl 34
08-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Side by side, DJ is gonzo too, nice call.

Better be able to pick up the protections... and have some receiving capabilities... and hang onto the rock.

DJ got Savage blown up in the end zone and considered for potential concussion. Now he's on the street.

I'm happy to see that laps are past tense and now the penalty is getting cut .

Honoring Earl 34
08-11-2014, 08:04 PM
That's a total waste of a seventh round pick when you have the first position on the waiver wire. That's IF we want to pick him up at all.

We don't draft so well so it may be a good thing .

thunderkyss
08-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Josina Anderson @josinaanderson

Texans sign RB William Powell to 2 year deal.

Really?

http://www.hollywoodsgoldenage.com/images/wpowell.jpg (http://www.hollywoodsgoldenage.com/actors/william_powell.html)

That Rick Smith... GM of the year.

Edit: Dangit TPN beat me to it

Marshall
08-11-2014, 08:08 PM
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608031459416867888&pid=15.1

THAT William Powell was a matinee idol in the thirties and forties. A very fine actor imho. I particularly liked his pairing with Myrna Loy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Powell

Honoring Earl 34
08-11-2014, 08:10 PM
THAT William Powell was a matinee idol in the thirties and forties. A very fine actor imho. I particularly liked his pairing with Myrna Loy.

Dude led the nation in average kickoff return at Kansas State .

DX-TEX

But can he play RB and run the Wildcat like a mug?

thunderkyss
I STILL don't know who this is.

He played with the Cardinals last year (http://www.nfl.com/player/williampowell/2531056/profile), out of K-State.

Marshall
08-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Although dead, probably as well as some on the team...

Kaiser Toro
08-11-2014, 08:20 PM

He ran with Wildcats back in the day

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Myrna_Loy.jpg/220px-Myrna_Loy.jpg

Honoring Earl 34
08-11-2014, 08:36 PM
He ran with Wildcats back in the day

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Myrna_Loy.jpg/220px-Myrna_Loy.jpg

Man I'm having dirty desires about someones great grandmother . :smiliepalm:

brg88tx
08-11-2014, 08:50 PM
we just need to sign ronnie brown and run the wildcat 100% of the time.....qb problem solved.

DX-TEX
08-11-2014, 09:11 PM
we just need to sign ronnie brown and run the wildcat 100% of the time.....qb problem solved.

Congrats!

PDS ‏@PatDStat · 8m
#Texans add veteran running back Ronnie Brown. http://hou.scout.com/story/1432945-texans-sign-veteran-ronnie-brown …? #NFL

thunderkyss
08-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Congrats!

Maybe they're going to trade Arian for a QB.

DBCooper
08-11-2014, 09:31 PM

That would be interesting.

kiwitexansfan
08-11-2014, 09:33 PM
http://verysmartbrothas.com/images/rearrange-deckchairs-and-ignore-sinking-1.png

kiwitexansfan
08-11-2014, 09:35 PM
Foster, Blue, Grimes.

That is our likely running back stable.

Still have Opurum too... Whoever that is.

Now Powell and Brown.

Gotta be camp meat.

JCTexan
08-11-2014, 09:35 PM
Only positive about the game was the running game and then today we release virtually every RB we have, including one who didnt even get a chance to play in the game. Am i missing something. If anything a few secondary guys would seem like logical cuts.

The obvious? The RB's cut got a combined 1 carry for -2 yards. Grimes/Blue got 15 of the 16 carries Saturday.

DX-TEX
08-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Maybe brg88tx can make wishes come true?

Quick! Wish Ted Thompson to go batshit insane and trade us Rodgers for some BBQ

Vinny
08-11-2014, 10:11 PM
I hear Brown arrived (https://twitter.com/TexansTalk/status/499020279859781633) with Mr Peabody in his wayback machine.

thunderkyss
08-11-2014, 10:38 PM

That would be interesting.

Foster, Blue, Grimes.

That is our likely running back stable.

Still have Opurum too... Whoever that is.

Now Powell and Brown.

Gotta be camp meat.

Look at it this way. We'll have a pretty successful season if Andre has another good year, if DeAndre continues to improve, if Arian can stay healthy, if Brian Cushing can finish the season, & if Fitz can limit his mistakes.

Chances of them finding a WR of Andre's caliber is nil. Now, three months ago, in the draft... wasn't going to happen. Then McNair done said Andre's going nowhere. We're rolling with the big guy... nuff said.

DeAndre didn't impress Saturday, I know it was just one game... still, Mike Thomas, Devier Posey, & Nwachukwu gives us options.

I like Arian, he's special. So is Cush...... & I don't like to talk about trading players as if I want to trade players (I don't, I want them both to retire Texans), but let's say we trade them both for Nassib, Claussen, Cousins, or... Garroppolo.

Nah, I don't think it's going to happen, but it's too late to be bringing in camp bodies like Ronnie Brown. We don't need a veteran RB on the team, when we've got Arian.

kiwitexansfan
08-12-2014, 12:30 AM
How many snaps did Hopkins play Saturday?

I don't care what happens before the season proper starts.

The only exception, injuries.

beerlover
08-12-2014, 12:52 AM
feel like spiraling downward :drunk:

really don't feel up to investing time or energy into another draft. The most obvious deduction is the Texans needed to trade down with Atlanta if in fact the offer was made but Rick was holding out for more. He should be fired. Despite how good Clowney will become Texans are in dire need of rebuilding roster multiple positions. Rick continues to build top heavy then only hit half the time while missing completely in late rounds. He must be held accountable some point because this isn't right or acceptable. :twocents:

Honoring Earl 34
08-12-2014, 05:56 AM
A message has been sent and some players may evacuate the area .

https://www.medco-athletics.com/images/products/72440L.JPG

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2014, 06:05 AM
Mostly re. the RB moves.......Read bottom to top:

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 1m

2 spots remain RT @McClain_on_NFL: Texans agree to terms with RBs Ronnie Brown and William Powell.

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 7s

Also, worth noting that the Texans have been signing former Dolphins like crazy since Brian Gaine got hired. Devlin makes sense.

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 19s

Haven't watched Devlin in years, as he's been hidden on the bench, but enough there to be intrigued. Not saying he's the savior.

Pat Devlin is a QB that the Texans should have interest in. Buried behind Ryan Tannehill and Matt Moore. Could replace Case Keenum.

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 19s

RT @MikeGarafolo After signing Brady Quinn, the Dolphins will release Pat Devlin, source says. Ravens among the teams who may have interest

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 53s

With 1 of the Texans' roster spot, they should sign S Dion Bailey. Wouldn't care if he spent whole year on IR. Team needs his abilities.

and Penn State RT @texanfan2785: Redd played for USC right

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 27s

Silas Redd & Mike Gillislee are two backs that could end up in Houston if they don't make the final cut in Washington & Miami.

Any RB signed now by Texans will probably be a glorified preseason, protector of QBs. Guys who could catch on the roster, are final 53 cuts

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 51s

Flashes. Very raw, but Billy thinks he can mold, so have to protect investment RT @ProsFB Has Savage shown you much at camp?

Kid trying to make an impact MT @DXTex why were cards blitzing up by 30, 2 mins left in game and Texans on their own 5 in game 1 preseason?

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 11s

Or, Texans trade / sign a QB to compete to start & Savage stays as the 3rd QB on the depth chart. Either way, needs better protection.

For that same reason, Savage should move ahead of Keenum on the depth chart. No concern in losing a guy who isn't in the long term plan.

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 36s

O'Brien isn't going to risk losing Savage, due to a young RB, not being able to pick up full speed linebackers.

Tom Savage is the future QB of the franchise in Bill O'Brien's mind. He'll probably sign vets that can pick up blitzes, so Savage is safe.

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 52s

Watch the play in which Tom Savage was almost murdered at the end of the Texans game. Dennis Johnson blew blitz pickup.

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 32s

Texans have their top 3 RBs and all were called 3 down backs by Bill O'Brien. Arian Foster, Jonathan Grimes & Alfred Blue.

EllisUnit
08-12-2014, 06:15 AM
The obvious? The RB's cut got a combined 1 carry for -2 yards. Grimes/Blue got 15 of the 16 carries Saturday.

That's my point, the secondary plays like shit. But yet we are cutting guys who didn't even get a shot in Saturdays game.

DBCooper
08-12-2014, 06:20 AM
That's my point, the secondary plays like shit. But yet we are cutting guys who didn't even get a shot in Saturdays game.

It's all part of O'Brien and Romeos master plan.

Rope a dope until the other teams are lulled into complacency, then BAM!

Shitzizzle!

Number19
08-12-2014, 06:47 AM
That's my point, the secondary plays like shit. But yet we are cutting guys who didn't even get a shot in Saturdays game.We can't sign new players without opening up spots. The players released are not going to make the final cut and aren't needed in camp these last few weeks.

EllisUnit
08-12-2014, 06:50 AM
We can't sign new players without opening up spots. The players released are not going to make the final cut and aren't needed in camp these last few weeks.

My point is that i see a few secondary guys we could of cut, and kept atleast a few guys who didnt even get to play in the pre season. I'm sure we can all agree the secondary was by far the worst position in game 1.

PapaL
08-12-2014, 07:14 AM
What happened to Andre Brown?!?

EllisUnit
08-12-2014, 07:15 AM
What happened to Andre Brown?!?

Cut

xtruroyaltyx
08-12-2014, 07:17 AM
Arian might get cut.

EllisUnit
08-12-2014, 07:18 AM
Arian might get cut.

:gamer: Maybe if your the GM on Madden25

xtruroyaltyx
08-12-2014, 07:21 AM
:gamer: Maybe if your the GM on Madden25

I don't know the salary stuff...

But that hamstring thing is worrisome. I almost think it's inevitable he gets injured during the season.

DocBar
08-12-2014, 07:30 AM
My point is that i see a few secondary guys we could of cut, and kept atleast a few guys who didnt even get to play in the pre season. I'm sure we can all agree the secondary was by far the worst position in game 1.If BO'B cut Harris and Keo today, who's out there to replace them? Would they be any kind of improvement? If they would be, wouldn't they be on a team right now?

They cut Andre Brown, Johnson and that JAG but immediately replaced them, for depth and RC bodies, if nothing else.

PapaL
08-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Cut

Just saw it. My bad...

Texans dump Andre Brown; LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/11/texans-dump-andre-brown/)

Number19
08-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Who in the defensive backfield really stunk it up? One is Brandon Harris - but I don't have him penciled in as a starter. My position has been my belief that our starting 22 is fairly sound, our problem is our lack of quality depth.

IDEXAN
08-12-2014, 07:36 AM
I almost think it's inevitable he gets injured during the season.

Cushing too, who I have little faith in lasting beyond mid season if he makes it that far ? And what's the latest on Brandon Brooks, I still think we could have a very respectable OLine if Brooks gets back out there and the X-man gets some experience under his belt at LG.

Number19
08-12-2014, 07:44 AM
I agree there is some concern about the health of Arian and Cushing, but the flip side of this coin is that it seems we have pretty good depth at these positions.

thunderkyss
08-12-2014, 07:45 AM
Mostly re. the RB moves.......Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 52s

Watch the play in which Tom Savage was almost murdered at the end of the Texans game. Dennis Johnson blew blitz pickup.

Any RB signed now by Texans will probably be a glorified preseason, protector of QBs. Guys who could catch on the roster, are final 53 cuts

Ok, that makes more sense than my trading Arian :tinfoil: thing.

thunderkyss
08-12-2014, 07:47 AM
If BO'B cut Harris and Keo today, who's out there to replace them? Would they be any kind of improvement? If they would be, wouldn't they be on a team right now?

Keo played better than Dj... against the 2s & 4s, I know, but still.

Number19
08-12-2014, 07:48 AM
Going into the game Saturday, Brandon Brooks was one of my big question marks - we simply have no solid news on him. Right now I'm thinking he won't be available for Washington and this presents a problem because of our lack of depth at this position. Even if we pick someone up off of waivers, they won't be up to speed for several weeks.

DocBar
08-12-2014, 08:03 AM
I agree there is some concern about the health of Arian and Cushing, but the flip side of this coin is that it seems we have pretty good depth at these positions.The Texans have good depth at ILB? Who? I like the depth at RB, though. Blue has the potential to be a very special player.

Keo played better than Dj... against the 2s & 4s, I know, but still. Swag is just awful in coverage. Maybe zone will help him once he learns it? I like him on ST if he can control himself and not get stupid PF penalties.

Number19
08-12-2014, 08:12 AM
The Texans have good depth at ILB? Who?..We have Reed, Bullough, Tuggle.

DocBar
08-12-2014, 08:19 AM
We have Reed, Bullough, Tuggle.Reed is learning the position, Tuggle and Bullough ( plus he's a rookie UDFA ) may have potential, but right now are complete question marks. I certainly wouldn't be excited if they are week 1 starters.

Defensive depth chart. (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depth-chart.html)

xtruroyaltyx
08-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Louis Nix taken off PUP.

He's on the active roster now. Should be practicing today.

DocBar
08-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Louis Nix taken off PUP.

He's on the active roster now. Should be practicing today.That's good news! I hope they're SMART with him, because I believe he's a good teammate.

EllisUnit
08-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Reed is learning the position, Tuggle and Bullough ( plus he's a rookie UDFA ) may have potential, but right now are complete question marks. I certainly wouldn't be excited if they are week 1 starters.

Defensive depth chart. (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depth-chart.html)

i dunno i have liked what i have seen from Tuggle.

DocBar
08-12-2014, 08:45 AM
i dunno i have liked what i have seen from Tuggle.I do too. I also like the terrapin. I don't think either one is capable of holding a 100% healthy Cushing's jock, though.

EllisUnit
08-12-2014, 08:56 AM
I do too. I also like the terrapin. I don't think either one is capable of holding a 100% healthy Cushing's jock, though.

no doubt, but i think they have looked solid enough to start next to him.

Playoffs
08-12-2014, 09:02 AM

Also, worth noting that the Texans have been signing former Dolphins like crazy since Brian Gaine got hired. Devlin makes sense.

Haven't watched Devlin in years, as he's been hidden on the bench, but enough there to be intrigued. Not saying he's the savior.

Pat Devlin is a QB that the Texans should have interest in. Buried behind Ryan Tannehill and Matt Moore. Could replace Case Keenum.

RT @MikeGarafolo After signing Brady Quinn, the Dolphins will release Pat Devlin, source says...

and Penn State RT @texanfan2785: Redd played for USC right?

Silas Redd & Mike Gillislee are two backs that could end up in Houston...

Redd has a high ankle sprain, Devlin is a ???, and I'm not too sure about Brian Gaine... I hope OB has the power to fire him if he turns out to be no good. I don't hear a lot of people talking about Miami's great roster...?

DocBar
08-12-2014, 09:07 AM
I thought I'd throw this (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Put-the-Film-on-Bro-Texans-at-Cards/e37a0209-efa2-4de8-b804-663d2d56940d) in, since there's been a lot of talk about the DB's. I'm always interested in coverage responsabilities, because I think that we, as fans, end up blaming thr wrong guy far too often.

The article is really a good read.

Helping each other

Having played safety many eons ago, I always feared playing cover two because it was a ton of room to cover, especially for a slow guy like me. A deep half safety MUST have a CB that re-routes a WR at the LOS or else the safety has no chance to defend a sideline route "in the hole".

In the second quarter, CB A.J. Bouye, who played fairly well, did not contact the Cardinals No. 1 perimeter receiver, which allowed Walt Powell a free run right up the sideline. Bouye had short flat responsibility but he MUST ALWAYS collision the perimeter receiver to allow the safety time to get over the top and prevent the deep throw. But, he didn't.

Cardinals QB Drew Stanton threw a dart into the hole well before S Eddie Pleasant could arrive. Powell made the catch, avoided Pleasant in the open field and sprinted the ball on down into field goal territory. Again, Bouye was being aggressive, but the technique needed to come first.

xtruroyaltyx
08-12-2014, 09:12 AM
That's good news! I hope they're SMART with him, because I believe he's a good teammate.

I'm trying to find a link...

I've just heard it reported on the radio.

xtruroyaltyx
08-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Texans rookie NT Louis Nix has been removed from the active/PUP list.
Nix missed all of spring and the first three-plus weeks of training camp after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. He underwent surgery on his left knee in November. Nix is behind the eight ball. Jerrell Powe has been running as the starting nose tackle and was solid versus the run in the preseason opener. Aug 12 - 9:56 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9428/louis-nix