PDA

View Full Version : Texans roster moves

Playoffs
05-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
Texans cut RB Chad Spann, RB Ray Graham, CB Loyce Means, TE Phillip Supernaw, DB Steven Terrell, WR Rico Richardson

WolverineFan
05-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Only surprising one to me is Graham. I thought he would at least make it to camp.

76Texan
05-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Only surprising one to me is Graham. I thought he would at least make it to camp.

Too many RBs on the roster.

Vance87
05-14-2014, 04:41 PM
No not Uncle Rico!!

Bulls on Parade
05-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Too many RBs on the roster.
The problem is three of them are injury prone. If we can keep Arian Foster, Andre Brown and Alfred Blue healthy we should have a top five rushing offense in 2014. That would help our unknown quarterback situation a lot. A strong running game and dominating defense would net us an 11-5 or 10-6 record and an AFC wild-card berth regardless of our quarterback play. Assuming it's not so horrible a la Matt Schaub and his pick six burgers last year. All we need is a game manager. Which I believe Tom Savage and Ryan Fitzpatrick can do. Even Case Keenum if he's not asked to throw it a ton.

76Texan
05-14-2014, 04:50 PM
The problem is three of them are injury prone. If we can keep Arian Foster, Andre Brown and Alfred Blue healthy we should have a top five rushing offense in 2014. That would help our unknown quarterback situation a lot. A strong running game and dominating defense would net us an 11-5 or 10-6 record and an AFC wild-card berth regardless of our quarterback play. Assuming it's not so horrible a la Matt Schaub and his pick six burgers last year. All we need is a game manager. Which I believe Tom Savage and Ryan Fitzpatrick can do. Even Case Keenum if he's not asked to throw it a ton.

True, but we're not gonna cut our top 3, are we?

Scooter
05-14-2014, 05:03 PM
surprised about supernaw, i figured he'd at worst be a helpful camp body at the tightend and fullback positions. i wouldnt have penciled him as part of the 53, but would've kept him to or through the first cut.

Seegara
05-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Agreed.

Seegara
05-14-2014, 06:13 PM
The problem is three of them are injury prone. If we can keep Arian Foster, Andre Brown and Alfred Blue healthy we should have a top five rushing offense in 2014. That would help our unknown quarterback situation a lot. A strong running game and dominating defense would net us an 11-5 or 10-6 record and an AFC wild-card berth regardless of our quarterback play. Assuming it's not so horrible a la Matt Schaub and his pick six burgers last year. All we need is a game manager. Which I believe Tom Savage and Ryan Fitzpatrick can do. Even Case Keenum if he's not asked to throw it a ton.We've had running backs named Green and Brown and now Blue. Colorful running game (except in the red zone.)

CloakNNNdagger
05-14-2014, 07:01 PM
surprised about supernaw, i figured he'd at worst be a helpful camp body at the tightend and fullback positions. i wouldnt have penciled him as part of the 53, but would've kept him to or through the first cut.

I was hopeful of Supernaw developing well. However, when he suffered a stress fracture of an unidentified bone of his foot, the prognosis was not able to be determined.........much like the question that I have of Ques, who we don't know what fracture of the foot he sustained.........a favorable prognosis break like a Jones fracture, or another type that would lead to chronic problems and/or susceptible to re-fracture in a big man (like Yao Ming)

Perki-Perk
05-14-2014, 07:11 PM
We've had running backs named Green and Brown and now Blue. Colorful running game (except in the red zone.)

Maybe all those colors will "Foster" in a new era...

Thorn
05-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Enough with the puns already.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/funny-pun-photos-8.jpg?w=750

thunderkyss
05-14-2014, 08:35 PM
I was hopeful of Supernaw developing well. However, when he suffered a stress fracture of an unidentified bone of his foot, the prognosis was not able to be determined.........much like the question that I have of Ques, who we don't know what fracture of the foot he sustained.........a favorable prognosis break like a Jones fracture, or another type that would lead to chronic problems and/or susceptible to re-fracture in a big man (like Yao Ming)

As big a part as TEs are going to be to our offense, I didn't expect this either.

However, I can see why they decided to go this way, next to Whitney he's the only player with a name more bad ass than our QBs...

DBCooper
05-14-2014, 09:16 PM
Enough with the puns already.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/funny-pun-photos-8.jpg?w=750

Making you Blue?

Thorn
05-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Making you Blue?

http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/funny-puns-in-pictures-dumpaday-5.jpg

msbbc833
05-14-2014, 09:37 PM
So we are down to 84 players now? Let the trimming commence!

badboy
05-14-2014, 09:42 PM
The problem is three of them are injury prone. If we can keep Arian Foster, Andre Brown and Alfred Blue healthy we should have a top five rushing offense in 2014. That would help our unknown quarterback situation a lot. A strong running game and dominating defense would net us an 11-5 or 10-6 record and an AFC wild-card berth regardless of our quarterback play. Assuming it's not so horrible a la Matt Schaub and his pick six burgers last year. All we need is a game manager. Which I believe Tom Savage and Ryan Fitzpatrick can do. Even Case Keenum if he's not asked to throw it a ton."I cannot believe you said that! Look what happened to me." signed A J McCarron.

DocBar
05-14-2014, 09:50 PM
"I cannot believe you said that! Look what happened to me." signed A J McCarron.TK is gonna totally neg rep yo azz!!!! LMAO!!!! :barman:

Norg
05-14-2014, 10:02 PM
time to trim a little more of that fat big boy

badboy
05-14-2014, 10:47 PM
TK is gonna totally neg rep yo azz!!!! LMAO!!!! :barman:Nah, he knows I was a fan of McCarron before TK was. I have posted that being a game manager is not necessarily a bad thing especially for this team.

thunderkyss
05-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Nah, he knows I was a fan of McCarron before TK was. I have posted that being a game manager is not necessarily a bad thing especially for this team.

I just don't understand how some one can watch Greg McElroy & J.P. Wilson manage that Alabama offense & still call McCarron a "game manager" in the same ilk. He was more like Russell Wilson than Trent Dilfer, clear as day.

Maybe not good enough to take #1 overall... I understand that, but I thought we cleared that hurdle a long time ago. You want to take Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles in the first fine... I never argued against that. But when you get to the second, third, fourth, fifth... I think it's hard to do better than A.J. McCarron. At least with the information available to the general public.

Insideop
05-14-2014, 11:41 PM

I thought Quessenberry had a knee issue and Brennan Williams was the one with the serious (knee/foot) injury that may not be able to play again. Man that's not good to hear about Quessenberry. I was counting on him taking the RT spot.

dream_team
05-15-2014, 12:05 AM
How many times are we gonna cut Supernaw?

Wolf6151
05-15-2014, 12:33 AM
I thought Quessenberry had a knee issue and Brennan Williams was the one with the serious (knee/foot) injury that may not be able to play again. Man that's not good to hear about Quessenberry. I was counting on him taking the RT spot.

Quessenberry had a broken foot that he sustained in training camp last year. Hopefully he'll heal up fine and be ready to make some major contributions next season. I saw somewhere last week that he's supposedly added some weight and was doing well in OTA's a week ago. B. Williams had the knee injury that required micro-fracture surgery and I've got serious doubts that he ever plays a down for us. I even heard on 610am last week that Kubiak almost cut B. Williams last season due to the injury, so you know it can't be good. I'm hoping that Newton heals up and is better able to play because an injured Newton sucked last year.

Norg
05-15-2014, 01:28 AM

Dats Kubes and rick for yeah

I would say he will be back but kubes is gone now so he might be heading to OL Balty !!!! LOL

I wonder howmuch power kubes has in balty prob zilts to none but I wonder if he will try and bring in some of his old players prob not since they were the ones who got him fired LOL

houstonspartan
05-15-2014, 01:56 AM

I would say he will be back but kubes is gone now so he might be heading to OL Balty !!!! LOL

I wonder howmuch power kubes has in balty prob zilts to none but I wonder if he will try and bring in some of his old players prob not since they were the ones who got him fired LOL

If Baltimore is smart, they'll have Kubiak on such a short leash he'll have to punch a time clock every day. That guy should have less power than the stadium janitor.

Hottoddie
05-15-2014, 03:11 AM

He got OD.

CloakNNNdagger
05-15-2014, 06:56 AM
Quessenberry had a broken foot that he sustained in training camp last year. Hopefully he'll heal up fine and be ready to make some major contributions next season. I saw somewhere last week that he's supposedly added some weight and was doing well in OTA's a week ago. B. Williams had the knee injury that required micro-fracture surgery and I've got serious doubts that he ever plays a down for us. I even heard on 610am last week that Kubiak almost cut B. Williams last season due to the injury, so you know it can't be good. I'm hoping that Newton heals up and is better able to play because an injured Newton sucked last year.

Yes, but I don't know how much anyone can make of that since he was working out only on the SIDE FIELD. That's a little disconcerting as it was a noncontact injury and it is so very long following his foot fracture........way longer than a period you would still be cautious if it were a straight-forward fracture with the fracture in a relatively innocuous anatomic area. We'll just have to see when he once again places repeated heavy stresses on that foot over a long period of time.

dsorc
05-15-2014, 07:32 AM
So we are down to 84 players now? Let the trimming commence!

I think we're still over 90, at least if the roster in the depth chart thread is accurate. More cuts should be coming soon.

Troy Chapman
05-15-2014, 08:48 AM
I think we're still over 90, at least if the roster in the depth chart thread is accurate. More cuts should be coming soon.

94 players by my count if including all the UDFA's. Is it a minimum or maximum of 90 players at training camp?

Playoffs
05-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
The six players the #Texans cut yesterday, including RB Ray Graham, cleared waivers. So they're now free agents.

BullNation4Life
05-15-2014, 04:26 PM

Dunno but I wonder if he can sing like his daddy?

thunderkyss
05-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Does anyone think we'll cut Tom Savage & try to land him on the Practice Squad?

BigBull
05-15-2014, 07:04 PM
I don't. I think he was OBs target all along and will be the second or third string qb to start the season with a chance to start anywhere from 4-8 games this year. All this depends how fast he picks up the offense.

infantrycak
05-15-2014, 07:09 PM

Step away from the bong.

WolverineFan
05-15-2014, 07:11 PM

Absolutely not. Keenum/Yates will compete for the last QB roster spot. Fitzpatrick and Savage are locks.

dsorc
05-15-2014, 07:15 PM
When was the last time a 4th round pick made it to the practice squad? We lost a 6th round NT because we tried to get him to the PS just last year. A mid round QB would have to fail hard in preseason to not be poached from the PS.

xtruroyaltyx
05-15-2014, 07:17 PM

I would put that possibility at 0%.

Even if savage struggles tremendously.

badboy
05-15-2014, 07:25 PM
I just don't understand how some one can watch Greg McElroy & J.P. Wilson manage that Alabama offense & still call McCarron a "game manager" in the same ilk. He was more like Russell Wilson than Trent Dilfer, clear as day.

Maybe not good enough to take #1 overall... I understand that, but I thought we cleared that hurdle a long time ago. You want to take Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles in the first fine... I never argued against that. But when you get to the second, third, fourth, fifth... I think it's hard to do better than A.J. McCarron. At least with the information available to the general public.
totally agree but never gonna change some folks minds. He should be able to sit a while @ Cincy and adjust. Couple years and he could be a very good starter. Anyway time to move to next crop.

drs23
05-15-2014, 11:35 PM

The thing this 'general public' learned through various media outlets that he sucked in the interview process and it turned a pile of teams off. No specifics, just that he interviewed really badly.

A few here (https://www.google.com/search?q=mccarron+bad+interviews&rlz=1C1TSNO_enUS499US500&oq=mccarron+bad+interviews&aqs=chrome..69i57.28688j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8) and Mike & Mike had a segment on it as well.

That, or they just thought he sucked in general. idonno:

Playoffs
05-19-2014, 01:45 PM
How many times are we gonna cut Supernaw?One last time.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Phillip Supernaw to the Ravens. Gary working.

That's one for Norg.

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/116761/micheal-jordan-basketball-game.gif

Playoffs
05-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Texans signed WR Lacoltan Bester, DE Julius Warmsley.

Cut WR Andy Cruse, DL Tyrone Ezell, WR Nathan Slaughter.

Waived/INJ T Chris Martin.

NCTexan
05-19-2014, 03:14 PM
#Texans released WRs Andy Cruse and Nathan Slaughter, DL Tyrone Ezell. Waived OT Chris Martin. Signed WR Lacoltan Bester, DE Julius Warmsley

Some moves. So much for Slaughter.

Edit: I can't even beat him in post-draft...

ObsiWan
05-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Some moves. So much for Slaughter.

Edit: I can't even beat him in post-draft...
So these moves are out-&-out cuts...?
They are not roster moves to sneak these guys onto the practice squad early...?

ChampionTexan
05-19-2014, 04:37 PM
So these moves are out-&-out cuts...?
They are not roster moves to sneak these guys onto the practice squad early...?

There is no practice squad until after the final cut to 53 is made.

ObsiWan
05-19-2014, 04:39 PM
There is no practice squad until after the final cut to 53 is made.
Aaah...
you know I had that thought in the back of my mind as I typed that post but wasn't 100% sure so I thought I'd go ahead and ask.
thx

NCTexan
05-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Aaah...
you know I had that thought in the back of my mind as I typed that post but wasn't 100% sure so I thought I'd go ahead and ask.
thx

Good question. I wasn't sure either, but I figured that was the answer.

kiwitexansfan
05-19-2014, 04:41 PM
Cruse was with the team last year right?

NCTexan
05-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Cruse was with the team last year right?

He spent the season on the practice squad.

kiwitexansfan
05-19-2014, 04:47 PM
He spent the season on the practice squad.

Wow, from Practice Squad to pre pre-season cut.

OB clearing house.

kiwitexansfan
05-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Really wish HT.com would post who is officially signed as UDFA on their website.

They talk about equal treatment for all the rookies but only the drafted ones have names on the HT.com roster.

LIES!

Hottoddie
05-19-2014, 06:20 PM
I would've liked to have seen Cruse get a shot in camp. I liked what I saw last year. Oh well, I'll just have to watch him on Baltimore's team. :D

drs23
05-19-2014, 06:48 PM
I would've liked to have seen Cruse get a shot in camp. I liked what I saw last year. Oh well, I'll just have to watch him on Baltimore's team. :D

Ditto X 2. pee'r. I really liked what I saw. Oh well...

EllisUnit
05-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Dunno but I wonder if he can sing like his daddy?

I didnt call Kubiak daddy when he took care of things, but when the texans cut me on Monday are you gonna bring me anything

badboy
05-19-2014, 10:49 PM
I also looked to see how Cruse would do this year in TC. Anyway..onward thru the night.

Troy Chapman
05-20-2014, 11:15 AM
Really wish HT.com would post who is officially signed as UDFA on their website.

They talk about equal treatment for all the rookies but only the drafted ones have names on the HT.com roster.

LIES!

They do post that information, under transactions. Don't look at the roster right now, it is not up to date.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/transactions.html

Playoffs
06-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
Texans announce they have released TE Chris Coyle and DE Sullivan Grosz and signed DL Tim Jackson and OT Will Yeatman

Playoffs
07-21-2014, 05:31 PM
Houston Texans @HoustonTexans

HOUSTON – The Texans have placed the following players on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) List:

NAME POS HT WT AGE EXP COLLEGE
Brian Cushing ILB 6-3 249 27 6 Southern California
Louis Nix III NT 6-2 331 22 R Notre Dame
Trevardo Williams OLB 6-1 236 23 2 Connecticut

The Houston Texans have waived/failed physical the following player:

NAME POS HT WT AGE EXP COLLEGE
Brennan Williams T 6-6 310 23 2 North Carolina

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Brian-Cushing-2-others-placed-on-PUP-list/36d3cd62-92f5-40df-b0cd-3cd52c402b31

DocBar
07-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Houston Texans @HoustonTexans

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Brian-Cushing-2-others-placed-on-PUP-list/36d3cd62-92f5-40df-b0cd-3cd52c402b31Just started a thread on this. With Cushing being on PUP, I thought it was threadworthy. Nix too.

Playoffs
07-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Drew Dougherty @DohertyDrew
New #Texans TE Chris Coyle will wear jersey #85.
Deepi Sidhu @DeepSlant
TE Chris Coyle was signed as a rookie free agent following the the draft. He was released on June 18 during OTAs.

CSN Houston @CSNHouston
The #Texans waive Brad Smelley, Tim Jackson and sign TE Chris Coyle. Roster sits at 88.

@DZangaro has more: http://t.co/rcLtMO3xtn

ObsiWan
07-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Drew Dougherty @DohertyDrew

Deepi Sidhu @DeepSlant

CSN Houston @CSNHouston

from S.I. (http://houseofhouston.com/2014/07/22/houston-texans-release-two-sign-one/)

The Houston Texans have released FB Brad Smelley (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmelBr00.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-houseofhouston.com) and DL Tim Jackson (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackTi20.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-houseofhouston.com), and have signed TE Chris Coyle.
With Smelley’s release, rookie FB Jay Prosch has become the team’s main fullback.
The Houston Texans actually signed Tim Jackson and cut Chris Coyle on June 18th, and have now reversed the transaction.
Coyle signed with the team after the draft but was cut during OTA’s. He will wear #85.
Neither of these moves too relevant in the grand scheme of things. Coyle will have a tough time making the roster with Garrett Graham (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrahGa00.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-houseofhouston.com), Ryan Griffin (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrifRy00.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-houseofhouston.com), and rookie C.J. Fiedorowicz all ahead of him on the depth chart. Neither Jackson nor Smelley were expected to make the final 53-man roster.
The Houston Texans will have their first Training Camp practice on July 26th.