PDA

View Full Version : Selection 7.256: Lonnie Ballentine S

ArlingtonTexan
05-10-2014, 07:23 PM
6'3" 220 with 4.4ish speed...now has not played football worth a spit.

Thorn
05-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Analysis

Strengths
Exceptional size, length and closing speed. Can get over the top and leverage the field. Plays with emotion. Superb pro day workout, posting some sub-4.4-second 40 times and a 38-inch vertical jump. Flashes straight-line striking ability when he has a clean angle.
Weaknesses
Pedals tall and does not play to timed speed. Has a bit of a track mentality. Cautious running alley. Not a strong, face-up, wrap tackler. Does not trigger quickly vs. the run and is late to see plays developing. Average processing speed. Gives up too much separation in transition and is not quick out of his pedal. Shaky hands -- not a natural catcher and will mistime jumps. Marginal career production on the ball.
Draft Projection
Rounds 6-7
Bottom Line
A long-limbed, rangy back-half defender with intriguing straight-line speed, range and leaping ability to compete for a job as a backup safety and special-teams performer. Has intriguing physical tools to be molded if he bows up.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/lonnie-ballentine?id=2549940

LikeMike
05-10-2014, 07:25 PM
To me that`s the perfect mr. irrelevant. A guy with exceptional size and speed that plays with an attitude but is really raw. Take a look at him, try to teach him to use his physical gifts. With his traits he could turn into a star - well he probably will be out of the league in 2 years, but still, this is a guy you absolutely should take a flyer on.

Honoring Earl 34
05-10-2014, 07:29 PM
To me that`s the perfect mr. irrelevant. A guy with exceptional size and speed that plays with an attitude but is really raw. Take a look at him, try to teach him to use his physical gifts. With his traits he could turn into a star - well he probably will be out of the league in 2 years, but still, this is a guy you absolutely should take a flyer on.

It beats a 5'10 safety that runs a 4.7 40 .

BullNation4Life
05-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Wonder if he can return punts and kickoffs...

TejasTom
05-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Beats a over the hill safety with 2 bad hips.

kiwitexansfan
05-10-2014, 07:36 PM
It beats a 5'10 safety that runs a 4.7 40 .

Keo?

76Texan
05-10-2014, 07:40 PM
This guy will at least make the PS.

I need to watch him some more, but I think he has a chance to be more than Mr. IRRELEVANT.

infantrycak
05-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Belated poll.

Marshall
05-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Belated poll.

I shall not vote since this is a prospect rather than instant help. I will say there are about 10 guys I would have picked instead of this guy. But he has nice measurables and hopefully we have good coaches.

EllisUnit
05-10-2014, 08:11 PM
i like his speed and his swagger. You never know

Honoring Earl 34
05-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Keo?

Yup

Seegara
05-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Sounds like cannon fodder for training camp. A fat C+ is what is deserved, IMO.

Marshall
05-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Yup

But Keo was a fifth round pick and shouldn't be irrelevant.

WolverineFan
05-10-2014, 10:24 PM
He's what a 7th round pick is really about. Just overflowing with athletic potential and perhaps a good coach like Romeo Crennel can bring it out.

SAMURAITEXAN
05-10-2014, 11:32 PM
I think he will be a good ST player. With a few years of experience, he might turns out to be a good S/LB as well.

eriadoc
05-11-2014, 12:33 AM
Not many guys taken as the last pick even end up sticking in the NFL. So it doesn't really matter who they took here, it's probably a lost pick. But if so, you may as well take a guy with interesting athletic ability and see what happens.

Wolf6151
05-11-2014, 03:48 AM
He sounds like a good special teams gunner with good size and speed and what you'd be looking for at this position in the draft.

Goldensilence
05-11-2014, 10:58 AM
If he takes Keo off this roster, a plus selection.

TejasTom
05-11-2014, 07:41 PM
@JaysonBraddock: The most talented Mr Irrelevant that I can remember. I expect him to make the 53. Ballentine is 6'3 220 runs 4.39 & has 33" arms. #Texans

@JaysonBraddock: Lonnie Ballentine has insane range, crazy size, speed vertical. So you're asking why he was there? Questionable angles & need to be physical

@JaysonBraddock: #Texans will turn Ballentine over to RAC and hope that Romeo can mold this Memphis Tiger like his former teammate, Poe a few years ago.

CloakNNNdagger
05-11-2014, 08:20 PM
He sounds like a good special teams gunner with good size and speed and what you'd be looking for at this position in the draft.

I'd be somewhat concerned about a gunner known for not being able to wrap face-up....and about a returner described as having shaky hands.

phantom17
05-11-2014, 09:24 PM
I think that this is an excellent pick for a 7th rd! I like his height, speed, & long arms. I hope he makes the team. If he does, probably special teams & to replace the Keo, a plus!:specnatz:

Playoffs
05-12-2014, 12:24 AM
Pete Bommarito of BPS (http://www.bommaritoperformance.com/) is reported by John Harris to have said Ballentine has the best work ethic of any prospect they've worked with. And "by the way, he's 6'3", 220 lbs. and runs a 4.4" 40 yard dash.

The Pencil Neck
05-12-2014, 12:37 AM
Pete Bommarito of BPS (http://www.bommaritoperformance.com/) is reported by John Harris to have said Ballentine has the best work ethic of any prospect they've worked with. And "by the way, he's 6'3", 220 lbs. and runs a 4.4" 40 yard dash.

This kids' measurables are insane. If they can coach him up and develop him, he could be a great pick.

thunderkyss
05-12-2014, 01:27 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnZLnCyCcAAh-jF.jpg

xtruroyaltyx
05-12-2014, 08:25 AM
On film he doesn't look like a physical freak except for when he's chasing guys down from behind.

He doesn't appear to be very physical, especially when going for tackles. Probably needs to get a bit stronger.

He was around the ball quite a bit though which is a good sign.

Hard to tell with guys like this, but good guy to take a flyer on I guess.

thunderkyss
05-12-2014, 09:00 AM
Hard to tell with guys like this, but good guy to take a flyer on I guess.

With the long list of UDFAs we signed, why use a draft pick on this guy, & not one of them? Max Bullough for instance. Why not lock him up with a draft pick instead of having to negotiate a contract?

xtruroyaltyx
05-12-2014, 10:16 AM
With the long list of UDFAs we signed, why use a draft pick on this guy, & not one of them? Max Bullough for instance. Why not lock him up with a draft pick instead of having to negotiate a contract?

Maybe they knew they had Bullough in the bag if he went undrafted....

Maybe Bullough indicated that he'd rather go undrafted than be a late round guy...Maybe Bullough's incident that caused him to miss the Rose Bowl was a concern..

Maybe they simply liked this guy more...

I don't know. But it's a 7th round pick, so I wouldn't dissect it too much even though I get the main point of what you're saying...

Playoffs
05-12-2014, 10:28 AM
With the long list of UDFAs we signed, why use a draft pick on this guy, & not one of them?

There's 40 UDFAs that were draftable this year. Good on/off the field. Ballantine fit the mold -- traits, potential, worker. He was one of the 30 team visits, so they know him better.

Bulls on Parade
05-12-2014, 10:37 AM
6'3" 220 with 4.4ish speed...now has not played football worth a spit.
http://i.imgur.com/CA7kvgA.jpg

Incredible leaping ability. This guy will be able to out-jump most wide receivers on the fade routes. Free safety or cornerback? He has raw athleticism you can't teach. If the Texans defensive backs coach can teach him how to play the proper way he may beat the odds as a seventh-round pick and make the team.

At the very least put this guy out there on red-zone defense. I'd be rich if I had a quarter for every time a Texans cornerback or safety was beat in the end zone on a simple fade route, not even turning their head and looking back at the ball, and allowing a Touchdown pass every single time. If nothing else, Lonnie Ballentine will make an attempt at the ball in those situations.

WolverineFan
05-12-2014, 03:39 PM

Like Bill Polian was talking about during the draft, you always draft measurables toward the end of the draft. You can let good football players go undrafted and sign them to team friendly contracts as free agents.

Playoffs
05-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Field Yates ‏@FieldYates
Texans FS Lonnie Ballentine signs rookie contract.

steelbtexan
05-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Anybody think this guy could possibly fill the nickel CB role?

WolverineFan
05-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Anybody think this guy could possibly fill the nickel CB role?

No. Despite the great straight-line speed, he doesn't move well laterally and doesn't mirror well. Not a guy I want covering the slot. You need quick feet and great hips to play the slot, which is why those guys are usually noticeably smaller than most CB's.

His body type is perfect for a box-safety, but he also has the range to play centerfield. The problem is he lacks the ball skills for FS and the natural instincts of a SS. He's also not a solid tackler. The guy has measureables, but he needs a lot of work as a football player.

steelbtexan
05-14-2014, 05:20 PM
No. Despite the great straight-line speed, he doesn't move well laterally and doesn't mirror well. Not a guy I want covering the slot. You need quick feet and great hips to play the slot, which is why those guys are usually noticeably smaller than most CB's.

His body type is perfect for a box-safety, but he also has the range to play centerfield. The problem is he lacks the ball skills for FS and the natural instincts of a SS. He's also not a solid tackler. The guy has measureables, but he needs a lot of work as a football player.

Thanks, I've never seen this guy play.

Playoffs
06-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Texans’ Ballentine mature beyond his years (http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/texans%E2%80%99-ballentine-mature-beyond-his-years)
After spending hours practicing in the hot Houston sun, after meetings and film study and meals and private playbook homework, Texans rookie safety Lonnie Ballentine has one more thing to do before his dreadlock-covered head finally crash lands on his pillow.

He has to call his wife and kids.

“Talk to them every time I can,” said the soft-spoken Ballentine on Monday afternoon. “Every minute of the day.”

While Ballentine, the seventh-round draft pick from Memphis, is the second-youngest player on the Texans’ 90-man roster (he just turned 21 on April 23), he has some real life experience. He graduated high school before he could vote; he got married before he could take a legal drink.

And after each long day of OTA practice and studying is finally over, Ballentine settles into his room at a nearby hotel to call or video chat with his wife Brittany and their two young daughters.

“Then it’s time for bed,” he said, “because six o’clock comes early.”

Ballentine met his wife, Brittany, when he was just 16-year-old. They met in...

xtruroyaltyx
06-03-2014, 03:25 PM
I'm excited about this draft....

I think this could end up being a really special draft for us.

I like Ballentines measureables, but he has some football stuff he needs to work on. Mainly, it stems from his lack of physicality...IMO. He's got to get that cautiousness out of him and be willing to come up and strike...Be physical with guys...

AngryNateFTW
06-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Great read. Enjoyed that entire article. Smart and responsible young man.

thunderkyss
06-03-2014, 08:17 PM
I'm excited about this draft....

I think this could end up being a really special draft for us.

It's nice to have a draft where there is so much promise throughout... gives us a reason to hope.

AngryNateFTW
06-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Looks very raw. He'll either be PS or pure ST's player for a few years. Takes bad angles, looks like tarzan hits like jane.

steelbtexan
06-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Great read. Enjoyed that entire article. Smart and responsible young man.

Texans worthy?

AngryNateFTW
06-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Texans worthy?

Character-wise, sure.

Talent-wise, meh.

Playoffs
07-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Mr. Irrelevant plans to be relevant (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Mr-Irrelevant-plans-to-be-relevant/84d177cd-e743-4ab5-a0ae-b629b9045198)

Houston Texans safety Lonnie Ballentine talks about his title as "Mr. Irrelevant" and his experience in the NFL so far.

As cool as the other side of a pillow. :shades:

EllisUnit
07-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Mr. Irrelevant plans to be relevant (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Mr-Irrelevant-plans-to-be-relevant/84d177cd-e743-4ab5-a0ae-b629b9045198)

As cool as the other side of a pillow. :shades:

Very cool, plus i like how he presents himself.

drs23
07-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Very cool, plus i like how he presents himself.

You're just a homer and not too smart at that.

Uh, wait a minute, I don't believe that at all but we've all been accused of it by, well, you know...:kitten:

Still at the shop. Can't wait to get home to see it myself.

EllisUnit
07-12-2014, 11:13 PM
You're just a homer and not too smart at that.

Uh, wait a minute, I don't believe that at all but we've all been accused of it by, well, you know...:kitten:

Still at the shop. Can't wait to get home to see it myself.

haha what can i say :kitten:

Where is ole mighty lord at anyways.... i noticed a big lack of negativity and didnt realize it until you said something. Good call ;)

Thorn
07-13-2014, 05:52 AM
Good size for a safety. I hope he's good enough to make the team.

TEXANRED
07-13-2014, 10:00 AM
I take it the drug testing is over with.

badboy
07-13-2014, 01:43 PM
I take it the drug testing is over with.Not sure what you're hinting at but I know of nothing on Ballentine and drugs. Here is a very lengthy bio article if any interested. http://www.localmemphis.com/story/d/story/lonnie-ballentine-prepares-for-the-draft/11808/WbnGuaTCOUeuOT3XBJ8oHQ

Ballentine’s transition into the Fuente Era turned out to be successful as far as the numbers and statistics go, but there is another transition in his life that deserves some recognition. At the tender age of 20, Ballentine is a husband and father of two beautiful girls. In this day and time, the last thing on a young man’s mind is marriage. So what prompted Ballentine to make such a monumental step? He credits his support system for helping him. “I had children and I really loved her (Brittany,) so I didn’t see why not,”said Ballentine. “It has paid off in the long run. I’m happy with who I’m with, and my girls are happy.” As a mother, Smith has taken notice of her son’s dedication to taking care of his family. In fact, she applauds it. “I am so proud of him, but it still goes back to the support system and the atmosphere that he grew up in,” Smith explains. “He has always grew up around good people, good role models. Even when he was at Word of Faith Christian Academy (Kindergarten-Elementary), he still had the older guys to look after him.” Smith appreciates the role models that his coaches in middle school and high school have been to him, and she acknowledges their presence in his life. However, she credits his father, Lonnie Ballentine, on helping him assume his responsibilities as a father. “For him to transition into being a father, it wasn’t hard,” Smith said. “His father has been there for him and been supportive of him; so looking at him take responsibilities for his actions at 16, I’m very proud of him.” Smith says that he could have taken the easier route, and left to go play with Coach Saban at Alabama but that wasn’t in his heart.

“If he would have taken that choice, then we wouldn’t even be hoping and praying that oh he might get drafted or he might, we’ll be talking about top five pick right about now,” Smith said with certainty. “Instead, he took the hard road and said I’m going to come back, I’m going to take care of my little girl, I’m going to take care of my wife; then he had another little girl that was born with down syndrome, had heart surgery, had complications and he still got through that adversity, he still went to football practice every day.”

“Every team that was at that Pro Day can tell you that his workout was off the charts.” Ballentine’s numbers at the end of his Pro Day read: 4.3 in the 40, 38” vertical, 18 reps on the bench press, 10.6 broad jump, and 100% beast. Ok, so the last one wasn’t a category but it definitely should have been one when describing the performance and measuring of the 6’3” 220 pound defensive back.

Needs work I know but could tangibles and I will be rooting for this young man.

EllisUnit
07-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Not sure what you're hinting at but I know of nothing on Ballentine and drugs. Here is a very lengthy bio article if any interested. http://www.localmemphis.com/story/d/story/lonnie-ballentine-prepares-for-the-draft/11808/WbnGuaTCOUeuOT3XBJ8oHQ

Needs work I know but could tangibles and I will be rooting for this young man.

Possible KR/PR with that speed as well

badboy
07-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Possible KR/PR with that speed as wellyes sir and strong enough to not go down easily.

CloakNNNdagger
07-16-2014, 07:03 AM
Another good article re. Ballentine:

Virgen: Special fun for Ballentine (http://www.dailypilot.com/sports/tn-dpt-sp-0713-irrelevant-week-nfl-play-60-20140712,0,6280868.story)

By Steve Virgen
July 12, 2014 | 9:30 p.m.

After a day at Disneyland with his family, Mr. Irrelevant Lonnie Ballentine received an unexpected visit from an NFL representative Friday night.

Ballentine, the final pick of the NFL Draft, had to undergo a random drug test at the Island Hotel in Newport Beach just before joining friends and fans at the Costa Mesa 55 Tavern + Bowl.

However, if the NFL wanted a better indication of the type of rookie joining the Houston Texans it would have been better off sending the rep to Jim Scott Stadium on Saturday.

Ballentine displayed altruism, humility and inspiration when he took part in the NFL Play 60 Field Day with Mr. Irrelevant.

He posed for several photos with children and adults, and signed all sorts of items. He coached his team in the Unified Flag Football Exhibition Game, which featured former pro football players and Special Olympics athletes.

The event was close to Ballentine's heart. His youngest of two daughters, 2-year-old Laila, was born Down syndrome. She also had fun with her older sister, Londyn, 4, who loved the temporary tattoos that had something to do with football.

Everyone at Jim Scott Stadium appeared to love football, the game brought so many together and resulted in many smiles. It turned out to be a great community event, as Estancia High and its cheerleaders, as well Costa Mesa High cheerleaders and Costa Mesa Pop Warner Football players participated.

Click on the article title to read the rest.

Marshall
07-16-2014, 07:08 AM
I shall not vote since this is a prospect rather than instant help. I will say there are about 10 guys I would have picked instead of this guy. But he has nice measurables and hopefully we have good coaches.

I changed my mind. Voted positive on attitude.

EllisUnit
07-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Wow i really like this kid, and if not for the article noone would of known that while on his trip he participated in this ! Very cool !

Playoffs
07-16-2014, 10:43 AM
They really go all out for "Mr. Irrelvant"... there's a lot of events/appearances.