PDA

View Full Version : Selection 4.135: Tom Savage QB

Pages : [1] 2 3

pappy
05-10-2014, 12:49 PM
this the qb ?:toropalm:

badboy
05-10-2014, 12:51 PM
research his history and stats before you condemn him. Has the physicals and could be taught.

NastyNate
Boooooooo. :p

phantom17
I LIKE!!!!!:swatter:

The Pencil Neck
05-10-2014, 12:52 PM
This is THE guy OB wanted.

Worked him out a lot at his Pro Day.

Some of the guys on the board were expecting us to draft him at 33.

I've got no problem with this pick.

infantrycak
05-10-2014, 12:52 PM
There's your QB flyer.

phantom17
05-10-2014, 12:53 PM
If OB likes him.........:swatter:

pirbroke
I like the name, never watched him play though so what y'all think?

NastyNate
Sweet, I like the pick.

The Pencil Neck
I like the name, never watched him play though so what y'all think?

He needs some work but he could be developed.

Sigma
stupid nfl network put commercials right when texans were picking -.-

qb at last, let's hope he is the right choice

thunderkyss
05-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Not my first choice... or second... or third......

But you know me...... :fans:

pappy
05-10-2014, 12:54 PM
research his history and stats before you condemn him. Has the physicals and could be taught.

No condemnation good or bad but have seen some who said he is a statue aka Brady .
:gamer:

JCTexan
05-10-2014, 12:55 PM
I love this pick. I mentioned him being a possible sleeper in my mock. I'm really liking the entire draft so far.

Txn_in_Oki
05-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Is this a pick? It's 0300 in the morning in Okinawa and I'm a tad lit right now. This was a pick by some people.

ThaShark316
05-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Macho Man Tommy Savage.

Playoffs
05-10-2014, 12:56 PM
This is worth watching...

Video: goPro Helmet Cam on Pitt Quarterback Tom Savage (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGBExvpIHts)

4th Round compensatory pick

OB really liked him at his pro day, which was one of the first on the calendar. OB must see his flaws as fixable. Watching tape, his O-line play was just horrid at times. Derek Newton is 10x better than Pitt's RT.

rmartin65
05-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Another good pick, IMO. Big, strong-armed QB that can be molded into a starter. I dont think he starts this year, but stranger things have happened.

Sigma
05-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Is this a pick? It's 0300 in the morning in Okinawa and I'm a tad lit right now. This was a pick by some people.

yes, it's our 4th round pick

I also needed some time to be sure :)

Thorn
05-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Bye Bye Yates. Thanks for the playoff win, I really appreciated that.

Fitzy starter
Case 2nd string
Mr. Savage 3rd string

Txn_in_Oki
05-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Just found the draft on tv… wow, McCarron still on the board. In Obie we trust I guess. Has been a great draft so far, let's see how this pans out.

TexansFight
05-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Bill Polian was raving about Tom Savage. That guy knows QBs.

xtruroyaltyx
05-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Savage life.

And I wouldn't rule out Yates. Appears OB like him some big qb's.

Keenum going to have to be really good.

Lucky
05-10-2014, 01:02 PM
His history and stats are weak. Better to concentrate on the fact that O'Brien likes him. Savage had a great pro day. I guess that means something around here. I'm just glad it was a late 4th, and not an early 2nd round pick.

LikeMike
05-10-2014, 01:03 PM
I like it... but I´m an optimist.

If you take a chance on a late rounder, you might as well take on with a cannon of an arm and prototypical size. He has a lot to learn, but at least he has all the tools.

O´Brien likes him and that`s good enough for me. I´d be ecstatic about Bridgewater, but Savage in the very least could be our next Yates - backup QB with the chance to develope into something more. And if he doesn`t pan out, there is always next season. We probably won`t win too many games this year anyways (because of QB), so we should be able to get a "real" QB-talent next season. Now let`s get an ILB...

Edit: Oh, and it`s by far the QB with the coolest name... a lot easier to root for Savage than for Mettenberger or Bortles...

EVOLVIST
05-10-2014, 01:05 PM
For what it's worth (cue Buffalo Springfield) this was Mel Kiper's 4th rated QB and OB's boy. Jump for joy!

"There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear... young people carrying signs, mostly saying, hooray for our side..."

Hervoyel
05-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Savage life.

And I wouldn't rule out Yates. Appears OB like him some big qb's.

Keenum going to have to be really good.

This. Keenum is going to have to make an impression to stick around. OB doesn't appear to like manlets.

texan_joe
05-10-2014, 01:08 PM
I like it. I was hoping Thomas would've fell to us, but I can live with Savage. Great draft so far.

Goldensilence
05-10-2014, 01:09 PM
First non "value" pick, could've been round 5 or 6th, but i appreciate if Savage is who they targetted to not be cute and take him.

Rounding out to be a really good draft.

mattieuk
05-10-2014, 01:09 PM
I'm really happy with this draft now. We've got our nasty in for the D, got a huge TE target, o line upgrade and now a guy that BOB appears to have been high on from the outset.

This is one of the best drafts I can remember, and we still have time to fill out the last couple of needs.

dalemurphy
05-10-2014, 01:11 PM
I didnt want Clowney... And, as you all know, I was a big supporter of Kubiak. That being said, this Smith/OBrien organization is operating at another level. They have masterfully constructed this off-season-culminating with an incredible draft that has blended value with need better than any draft I have ever closely followed.

Playoffs
05-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Tom Savage said he was running Pitt's offense "a lot more" by the end of his time there. #NFL #Texans

Tom Savage learned four offensive systems in four years.

#Texans' Tom Savage said "hitting rock bottom" was the best thing for him. Was humbled, became a man and fell in love with football again.

#Texans' Tom Savage: "I obviously have a lot to learn. I went 1,024 days without playing a game." #NFL

#Texans' Tom Savage: "I know what I don't want to do after football and that's work construction." Said his time doing so was "brutal."

#Texans' Tom Savage: "Tom Brady is always one of my favorite quarterbacks." #NFL

Tom Savage acknowledged being a "young, 19-year-old bitter kid" at one point during college career. #NFL #Texans

#Texans QB Tom Savage: "I always felt real comfortable with coach (Bill) O'Brien." Knew him from Penn State days. #NFL
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
Savage says toughness/ability to get back up after getting knocked down is his best quality as a QB.
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Savage referred to himself as a young, bitter, entitled when he left Rutgers. Feels he matured a lot in the past few years.

Tailgate
05-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Has a cannon, pretty ball, fine release, good feet, good size, can process the field.

BUT its all from a small sample size. That is his big knock. Transferred from Rutgers to Arizona to Pitt. Alot of time missed and alot of change to deal with really hurt his stock.

Needs alot of reps.

Texecutioner
05-10-2014, 01:14 PM
His history and stats are weak. Better to concentrate on the fact that O'Brien likes him. Savage had a great pro day. I guess that means something around here. I'm just glad it was a late 4th, and not an early 2nd round pick.

Of course it means something. If you look back on every draft we have the typical folks in here swear up and down that we have an amazing draft every year despite our losing history. I've heard that same line stating "If Kubiak likes this guy then I'm sold" stuff a Million times. Did you not expect it in this draft? Of course you did.

I don't know much about the kid. Hopefully he is just depth and can sit behind Keenum/Fitzpatrick.

Sigma
05-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Edit: Oh, and it`s by far the QB with the coolest name... a lot easier to root for Savage than for Mettenberger or Bortles...

I liked garoppolo :)

Wolf
05-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Liked the pick plus it told Belichick that we don't have to trade with you right now.

good thing is this guy can sit and learn a bit

xtruroyaltyx
05-10-2014, 01:17 PM
3rd best ball velocity at the combine behind only Logan Thomas and Stephen Morris.

Lucky
05-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Bill Polian was raving about Tom Savage. That guy knows QBs.
Because he drafted Peyton Manning? You could've made that pick.

House of Pain
05-10-2014, 01:18 PM
I voted 'No' because I win either way. If I'm right, I get to come back and troll you guys. If I'm wrong, the Texans FINALLY get their QB.

:fans:

Vinny
05-10-2014, 01:18 PM
nice call from those Savage table-pounders. You know who you are.

A developmental guy who's kinda well traveled. Long story short...he was injured at Rutgers as a Freshman starter and lost his job to Chas Dodd (I'm vague on this part) so he transferred to Arizona. Rich Rodriguez later came in as Head Coach and has a different play style so he transferred again to Pitt. Drafted by the Texans and went on to be the next back to back MVP.

beerlover
05-10-2014, 01:19 PM
reminds me of Bortles but with a stronger arm.

jtexas
05-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Can he throw farther than 35 yards? Check - better than Schaub.

DX-TEX
05-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Can he throw farther than 35 yards? Check - better than Schaub.

There ya go. A rational, thought our comment. Serious.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnSyWMzCAAAkLgo.jpg:large

ThaJokaa
05-10-2014, 01:23 PM
In cool with this, Keenum will start, and Futz will be mentoring both of em as OB molds Tom

DBCooper
05-10-2014, 01:24 PM
In cool with this, Keenum will start, and Futz will be mentoring both of em as OB molds Tom

No way Keenum starts.

Lucky
05-10-2014, 01:25 PM
reminds me of Bortles but with a stronger arm.
Savage doesn't have Bortles mobility. Not by a long shot. But, he's not a statue, either. Has the same reverse pivot move Bridgewater employs. The main problems I see in watching him are ball security and locking onto receivers. A lot of young QBs have this problem. But then, most rookie QBs are younger than 24.

76Texan
05-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Does this guarantee that the Texans will carry three QBs this year?

Does this mean that Savage get an automatic free ride?

Lucky
05-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Does this mean that Savage get an automatic free ride?
Savage will really have to screw the pooch in camp and preseason not to get a job.

utahmark
05-10-2014, 01:27 PM

Texansfight wanted Leaf.:chef:

JCTexan
#Texans QB Tom Savage: "I always felt real comfortable with coach (Bill) O'Brien." Knew him from Penn State days. #NFL

Can someone clarify this? Was Savage recruited by O'Brien or something?

sandman
No way Keenum starts.

Exactly. Roster spot is where he needs to place his worry.

Do the measurements of the four QB's on the roster.

Especially two that OB has specifically brought in this year.

One of these things is not like the others.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2014, 01:29 PM

Let's not revise history here and act like it wasn't a toss up between Manning and leaf.

nut
05-10-2014, 01:30 PM
From NFL.com:

Strengths Terrific size. Sets with balance. Easy, compact, high three-quarters release. Spins a catchable ball. Excellent arm strength to complete NFL throws -- capable of sticking outs from the deep hash or launching balls 60 yards on the money. Experience in pro-style offense. Smart and hardworking. Solid personal and football character. Has tools to work with. Team captain.

Weaknesses Needs to speed up his clock and show better awareness in the pocket. Needs to quicken his eyes, expand his field vision and learn to manipulate safeties. Tends to stare down his target. Forces some throws into traffic. Erratic accuracy. Slow of foot -- not a scramble threat. Can improve play-action fake. Had some duds -- struggled against Florida State, Virginia and Virginia Tech. Mental toughness needs to be looked into.

Draft Projection Rounds 5-6

Bottom Line Big, inconsistent pocket passer who took a circuitous route to Pittsburgh, where he played a full season for the first time since 2009. Is inconsistent and in need of more reps, but has ample arm talent to warrant developmental consideration if teams deem his intangibles worthy of an investment.

- Maybe OBrian wanted him because he is a Pennsylvania guy. I guess I like having a QB pick but would have preferred Murray (or Carr earlier.) Hopefully, Keenum steps up. In my opinion Fitzpatrick is just another guy like Schaub. The talking heads on ESPN were calling him a "serviceable veteran", which is a euphemism for a bum.

chicagotexan2
05-10-2014, 01:30 PM

That's what I was thinking. If there was ever a guy who's body was of work was average only because one player he drafted its polian.

I was hoping for Aaron Murray but at this point the risk is lower and ill still be optimistic and believe the new regime can develop a QB that fits their mold.

DX-TEX
05-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 4m
#Texans now have 4 QBs on their roster. #Ravens have been open about getting a backup in this draft. TJ Yates / Keenum know the offense.

hmmmmm

mattieuk
nice call from those Savage table-pounders. You know who you are.

A developmental guy who's kinda well traveled. Long story short...he was injured at Rutgers as a Freshman starter and lost his job to Chas Dodd (I'm vague on this part) so he transferred to Arizona. Rich Rodriguez later came in as Head Coach and has a different play style so he transferred again to Pitt. Drafted by the Texans and went on to be the next back to back MVP.

Wih regards to the Arizona situation, there is no fault on Savage for that situation. Matt Scott (who was Rodriguez's QB1) was absolute chalk and cheese in style to savage.

I'm hoping that the lack of consistency in Savage's college career has helped us pick up someone who would have gone a lot higher had he had a more stable college situation.

Vinny
Savage doesn't have Bortles mobility. Not by a long shot. But, he's not a statue, either. Has the same reverse pivot move Bridgewater employs. The main problems I see in watching him are ball security and locking onto receivers. A lot of young QBs have this problem. But then, most rookie QBs are younger than 24.

He kinda moves like Rex Grossman. He could be the next Cody Carleson if he plays his cards right. I wonder if we dip back into the QB pool and take another one?

sandman
05-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Let's not revise history here and act like it wasn't a toss up between Manning and leaf.

And that Manning didn't suck monkey butt his rookie season with 28 INT's and a 70% QB rating...

Lucky
05-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Only those in love with measurables would have picked Leaf. You know who you are.

infantrycak

Being on the right side of a coin toss doesn't make you a genius.

Vinny
That's what I was thinking. If there was ever a guy who's body was of work was average only because one player he drafted its polian.

I was hoping for Aaron Murray but at this point the risk is lower and ill still be optimistic and believe the new regime can develop a QB that fits their mold.

I hate to stand up for Polian but he put together an excellent Bills team and put together another excellent team in Indy.

Thorn
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 4m
#Texans now have 4 QBs on their roster. #Ravens have been open about getting a backup in this draft. TJ Yates / Keenum know the offense.

hmmmmm

Interesting idea. I would think if Kubiak had anything to do with a trade he would take Yates before Keenum. But if the others talking about BOB's like for bigger QBs, they Keenum would be the trade bait and I don't think Kubiak wants Keenum.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Savage will really have to screw the pooch in camp and preseason not to get a job.

He was a 4th round pick.. a vet was signed, there's currently two other players on the roster that have starting NFL experience... it was a pick made in the middle of the draft, if he is a day 1 starter it'll be because he earned a spot to play. When you take a QB at the bottom of the 4th round, you are hardly tied or committed to him.

We hear about "QB battles" in NFL camps all the time that are absolute B.S. This will be one of those instances where it won't be. There will be a legit battle at that spot and the QB position will be the position everyone will keep there eyes on during camp.

infantrycak
05-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Interesting idea. I would think if Kubiak had anything to do with a trade he would take Yates before Keenum.

Why? He had Keenum jump him and then went back to Schaub. Yates was a non-entity last season.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2014, 01:38 PM

Do we just forget the work he did in Buffalo?

Thorn
05-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Why? He had Keenum jump him and then went back to Schaub. Yates was a non-entity last season.

It's just a feeling of mine. I just don't think Kubiak liked Keenum as being ready and was pressured into starting him.

infantrycak
05-10-2014, 01:39 PM
He was a 4th round pick.. a vet was signed, there's currently two other players on the roster that have starting NFL experience... it was a pick made in the middle of the draft, if he is a day 1 starter it'll be because he earned a spot to play. When you take a QB at the bottom of the 4th round, you are hardly tied or committed to him.

We hear about "QB battles" in NFL camps all the time that are absolute B.S. This will be one of those instances where it won't be. There will be a legit battle at that spot and the QB position will be the position everyone will keep there eyes on during camp.

Lucky's point was he will get a roster spot, not the starting gig.

Vinny
05-10-2014, 01:40 PM
All I see is a fork sticking squarely out of Keenum. No offense to the cult of personality.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Being on the right side of a coin toss doesn't make you a genius.

No it doesn't, but guess what does... Building a team that reached the SB 4 straight times and winning one with another franchise.

I'm not putting my faith in Savage "because Polian likes him", but rather scoffing at those who are writing off what Polian has accomplished as a G.M.

He accomplished a LOT more then just calling the right side of a coin.

TheMatrix31
05-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Macho Man Tommy Savage.

If this guy ever turns into anything worth a damn, his nickname should be Macho Man.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Lucky's point was he will get a roster spot, not the starting gig.

Well yeah, if that's his point then I agree.. that's a no brainer. He'll have to have naked pictures with O'Brien's wife to not net a spot on the team. :)

Carr Bombed
05-10-2014, 01:47 PM
All I see is a fork sticking squarely out of Keenum. No offense to the cult of personality.

I don't, simply because he's cheaper and already beat out Yates (he's better than Yates). Yates is walking the green mile right now.

kiwitexansfan
05-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Watching some Savage cut-ups on draftbreakdown.com.

Guy does have a cannon.
Seems to have good ball placement.
Steps up in the pocket.
Keeps his eyes up field.

May need to learn to take a bit off.
Doesn't look to be going through progressions.

Not entirely a statue, Pitt seemed to roll him out and move the pocket a fair bit. He will try and run if there is space.

thunderkyss
05-10-2014, 01:53 PM
First non "value" pick, could've been round 5 or 6th, but i appreciate if Savage is who they targetted to not be cute and take him.

Rounding out to be a really good draft.

If we had a fifth, we probably would have waited.

Anyway, here's a feel good piece (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvdZPsm-8k) on the kid.

chicagotexan2
05-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Do we just forget the work he did in Buffalo?

Dang yes I did forget at buffalo. That's a big booger hanging out of my snout. I stand corrected. Although manning masked so many of his average to below average moves in Indy.

bah007
I don't, simply because he's cheaper and already beat out Yates (he's better than Yates). Yates is walking the green mile right now.

Nobody has done anything since the new staff got here.

If he beats out Yates this year then I'll agree.

Vinny

he beat out the guy you think sucks. That's something.

sandman

IMHO, Yates suffered the misfortune of following up Schaub's pick-6 run by throwing one of his own. McNair then pressured Kubes into playing Keenum.

Yates has proved more on the field that Keenum has. See: Playoff win.

CloakNNNdagger
05-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Love this pick!!!!!

"I think this is a great fit for the Texans. He's got a hose. His arm is any bit as good as Logan Thomas' or Zach Mettenberger's. He took a beating at Pitt, but he continued to stand in the pocket. He's a natural thrower of the football. He's got all the mechanics, so now it's all about developing the kid's ability." -- Mike Mayock

Tough SOB, for those who don't know........

Savage also injured his ribs against the Orange, but he returned against Miami the next week and threw for 281 yards and two touchdowns in a loss to the Hurricanes. Savage also had a head injury earlier in the season, but didn't miss any games. That rib injury apparently was susceptible to further damage, because a hit there during the bowl game fractured his ribs and bruised a kidney. He had some internal bleeding as well, so a long rest was needed.

That meant Savage had to decline an invitation to the East-West Shrine Game. He also had to miss the Senior Bowl, as he was to be an alternate. Savage took a couple weeks off before training for the NFL Combine, and it paid off. He reportedly was solid during on-field drills, displaying accuracy and a strong arm.link (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-nfl-draft/2014/2/26/5448932/2014-nfl-combine-results-quarterbacks-wide-receivers)

And we all know how he did in his Pro Day.

kiwitexansfan
05-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Guys, you seem to be forgetting the best way to assess a QB.

How hot was his GF?

http://sports-kings.com/downanddistance/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/CatieVarleyTomSavage.jpg

mattieuk
05-10-2014, 01:59 PM

How hot was his GF?

http://sports-kings.com/downanddistance/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/CatieVarleyTomSavage.jpg

Daym. Week 1 starter.

Welcome to Houston Ms. Savage!

TheMatrix31
05-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Damn. It pays to be a college QB, man.

CloakNNNdagger
05-10-2014, 02:01 PM
IMHO, Yates suffered the misfortune of following up Schaub's pick-6 run by throwing one of his own. McNair then pressured Kubes into playing Keenum.

The team backing him up was incomparably better as a whole during that period as compared to what Keenum had to work with. Every time Yates was put in after that year, he looked terrible.

thunderkyss
05-10-2014, 02:02 PM

I think he's just as mobile/athletic as Bortles... doesn't have the same "spidey sense" though. By the time Savage realizes he's in trouble, it's too late.

Two biggest problems I see involve bad decision making. I don't mind a QB taking a sack, that's part of the game, but he's loosing 10+ yards on quite a few of them. Then he tends to force some throws..... may be because they were losing & he felt he had to... so those are the things I'll be watching.

DX-TEX
05-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Savage wears #7. Keenum wear #7.

Sorry Case

The Pencil Neck
05-10-2014, 02:07 PM

Sorry Case

Savage will switch his number to 8.

OH NO!!!

:panic:

DX-TEX
05-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Savage will switch his number to 8.

OH NO!!!

:panic:

Dear Tebow I hope not.

thunderkyss
05-10-2014, 02:11 PM

That's what it looks like to me too... but Keenum gave them hell playing out of the spread, New England liked to spread the field, McNair really wanted to see the kid play (most likely to secure the #1 overall), he might be the darkhorse in this race.

TexansBull
05-10-2014, 02:13 PM

Sorry Case

Savage should wear number one. It makes more sense. Savage one. Savage seven doesn't have as much as a ring to it.

sandman
05-10-2014, 02:13 PM
The team backing him up was incomparably better as a whole during that period as compared to what Keenum had to work with. Every time Yates was put in after that year, he looked terrible.

And what exactly did Keenum do this last season that says he is clearly better than Yates? Have one good game where he and AJ connected... but still lost? Took Carr-like 20 yard sacks trying to run away from the blitz? Not be able to make a hot read, which has nothing to do with the play of those around him?

I swear, I get the hometown hero bullcrap, but it's getting to be too much. People are talking about how he needs another shot at starting this coming season because it wasn't "fair" what he was asked to do last year. Well that is where the opportunities lie. When everything has gone to hell in a handbasket. And he wasn't able to do anything with that opportunity. Time to move on. I honestly don't care that it is fair.

Do I think that Yates is a starter? No. Do I think that he will be a much better back-up in this system than Keenum will be? Absolutely.

Size and mobility-wise Savage, Fitzy and Yates are very similar. Obviously OB wants his QB to look a certain way in his system. Keenum is not that QB.

DX-TEX
05-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Savage should wear number one. It makes more sense. Savage one. Savage seven doesn't have as much as a ring to it.

Unless your describing our front 7 on defense.

76Texan
05-10-2014, 02:25 PM
And what exactly did Keenum do this last season that says he is clearly better than Yates? Have one good game where he and AJ connected... but still lost? Took Carr-like 20 yard sacks trying to run away from the blitz? Not be able to make a hot read, which has nothing to do with the play of those around him?

I swear, I get the hometown hero bullcrap, but it's getting to be too much. People are talking about how he needs another shot at starting this coming season because it wasn't "fair" what he was asked to do last year. Well that is where the opportunities lie. When everything has gone to hell in a handbasket. And he wasn't able to do anything with that opportunity. Time to move on. I honestly don't care that it is fair.

Do I think that Yates is a starter? No. Do I think that he will be a much better back-up in this system than Keenum will be? Absolutely.

Size and mobility-wise Savage, Fitzy and Yates are very similar. Obviously OB wants his QB to look a certain way in his system. Keenum is not that QB.

Your opinion counts as much as mine, or any other fan; ie. Zero.

We'll just have to wait and see how it shakes out.

But, you have no idea who's a homer and who's not.
You're not in my head, or anybody else's.
So please quit with the accusations, please.

mattieuk
05-10-2014, 02:32 PM

It all comes down to this. Keenum is not a BOB style QB, and I can't see him being kept around.

I think we go into the season Fitz starting, and Yates backing up, with Savage spending a year learning the system and how to be a professional QB.

This season will be all about how far Fitz can take us - and then the assessment will be made next off season about how the year went with regards to whether Fitz stays around as starter, or backs up Savage/a high draft pick QB or is moved on.

Playoffs
05-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Savage will switch his number to 8. OH NO!!! :panic:

Savage should switch to #6... how many points we get for a TD pass!

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/JennB_213/Smileys/Patriotic/Cheer_3Smileys_Out_UpLR.gif

thunderkyss
05-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Savage Seven sounds pretty cool.

The internets like it

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TnAcMqiBxug/TMrkY-19DtI/AAAAAAAAWkk/_BqFIxgUbV8/s1600/File0009.jpg

thunderkyss
05-10-2014, 02:38 PM

Agreed. Someone else already mentioned Case is going to be in camp. That's more than he or Yates deserve. They'll get their chance. It's up to them to rise to the occasion.

The deck is stacked against them, welcome to the life of an NFL QB.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2014, 02:39 PM
he beat out the guy you think sucks. That's something.

Regardless what I think.. does it change the fact that Keenum beat out Yates? Keenum is cheaper and holds more value/upside.. the only way he's let go over another QB who lost his spot to a undersized undrafted QB is if Keenum sucks it up at camp.

And yes, Yates does suck, but my opinion won't matter when the ax drops. We're arguing over the 3rd QB on the roster BTW. What's the point?

sandman
05-10-2014, 02:43 PM

We'll just have to wait and see how it shakes out.

But, you have no idea who's a homer and who's not.
You're not in my head, or anybody else's.
So please quit with the accusations, please.

Accusations? Really? OMG, I accused someone of being a homer for the local kid. Ban my IP!!!!

:toropalm:

Note: my sarcastic replies are my humble and personal opinions that count in no way more than anyone else's sarcastic replies on this anonymous sports message board.

Corrosion
05-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Poll results are 50-5 in favor.

I wonder if 55 know who he is ???

He does have some redeeming qualities - He has the size , has a very strong arm and isn't a statue back there. A project with long term potential.

I had other QB's above him .... but I can see the potential. If he develops even into a backup , getting him at 4:35 is good value anything beyond that is gravy. QB is such a hard position to fill.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2014, 02:47 PM

:toropalm: LOL..

You are really going to give credit to Yates for that playoff win.. hahaha.. cough ha ha. Wow. I could've suited up under center in that game, would you gave me credit for the win too? Yates was a participant in that game.. nothing else.

Look I'm not going to lie.. when Keenum started I got wrapped up in the story of the local hero saving the day, but he didn't.. that's when the dream stopped. But I'm still not going to lie to myself and act like he isn't better than T.J. Yates, because he is. And I'm certainty not going to act like Yates was the reason why we beat the Bengals or give Yates for that win.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2014, 02:52 PM

How hot was his GF?

Dayum.. Screw A.J. McCarron. :user:

EllisUnit
05-10-2014, 03:00 PM

Riddle me this riddle me that at what point did case start taking those 20 yard sacks.

I'll give you a clue, if i may do such. although i dont think it will change your opinion much.

Schaub on the bench, Kubiak itching to put him in. As if he would of actually helped us win.

Kubiak to keenum boy stay it the pocket. No more running around slinging that thing like a rocket.

Keenum so scared of losing his spot. He begins staying in the pocket which isnt tht smart.

So now he's doing what coach kubes wants him to do. With D Newtons protection you'd get sacked too.

So is it his fault that kubiak tried to mold him into something he's not. Do you really feel that case was given a fair shot ?

Simple enough ? Or do i need to elaborate ?

sandman
05-10-2014, 03:01 PM
:toropalm: LMAO..

You are really going to give credit to Yates for that playoff win.. hahaha.. cough ha ha. Wow. I could've suited up under center in that game, would you gave me credit for the win too? Yates was a participant in that game.. nothing else.

Don't recall stating where I thought Yates was a starter in this league. In fact, I actually said that I thought he was a back-up. I'm not defending Yates, and I'm not sure why you think I am. My comments about him were related to Keenum and posters on this site giving their opinions that Keenum is clearly a better QB than Yates. In my personal and humble opinion, of course.

TexansFanatic
05-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Great article about Savage here:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/05/2014_nfl_draft_after_hitting_rock_bottom_former_ru tgers_qb_tom_savage_finding_happy_ending.html

sandman
05-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Riddle me this riddle me that at what point did case start taking those 20 yard sacks.

I'll give you a clue, if i may do such. although i dont think it will change your opinion much.

Schaub on the bench, Kubiak itching to put him in. As if he would of actually helped us win.

Kubiak to keenum boy stay it the pocket. No more running around slinging that thing like a rocket.

Keenum so scared of losing his spot. He begins staying in the pocket which isnt tht smart.

So now he's doing what coach kubes wants him to do. With D Newtons protection you'd get sacked too.

So is it his fault that kubiak tried to mold him into something he's not. Do you really feel that case was given a fair shot ?

Simple enough ? Or do i need to elaborate ?

So it is everyone else's fault that Keenum played so poorly last year?

So give him a coach that is crushing on him, a guarantee that he won't get pulled, a good offensive line. THEN he will do good. Gotcha.

If I can channel Kubes for a moment... Case is a good kid. Don't wish him ill will. But life - and life in the NFL - isn't fair. He got a chance. Couldn't do anything with it. Even if all of it wasn't his fault. He isn't owed anything else.

midway
05-10-2014, 03:10 PM
this Smith/OBrien organization is operating at another level. They have masterfully constructed this off-season-culminating with an incredible draft that has blended value with need better than any draft I have ever closely followed.

Except we have no idea what the level is, or if it's any higher than Smith/Kubiak, and we can't know for at least 2 years if this was an incredible draft or yet another crap draft by Smith.

bckey
05-10-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm good with Savage at the spot we got him. I'm really liking the Texans entire draft. It is a bunch of big uglies and that is how you build a winner. From the inside out.

gafftop
05-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Just watched a couple utube vdos (Notre dame, Florida State) . Reminds me of Pick-6 before he got hurt.
Stronger arm, less accurate, can throw the long ball but poor accuracy, seemed to make poor decisions against FloState , Just depends on how he progresses. Just my opinion.

Thorn
05-10-2014, 03:22 PM
This is nice.

Pick Analysis: "I think this is a great fit for the Texans. He's got a hose. His arm is any bit as good as Logan Thomas' or Zach Mettenberger's. He took a beating at Pitt, but he continued to stand in the pocket. He's a natural thrower of the football. He's got all the mechanics, so now it's all about developing the kid's ability." -- Mike Mayock

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker?icampaign=nfl_drafttracker_nav-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:hou

sandman
05-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Except we have no idea what the level is, or if it's any higher than Smith/Kubiak, and we can't know for at least 2 years if this was an incredible draft or yet another crap draft by Smith.

You don't have tomorrow's data available today. Based on the information at hand, this has been an incredible draft. Definitely better than anything we've seen from the Texans in several years.

Thorn
05-10-2014, 03:24 PM
You don't have tomorrow's data available today. Based on the information at hand, this has been an incredible draft. Definitely better than anything we've seen from the Texans in several years.

I agree. On paper this is the best draft I've ever seen from the Texans.

EllisUnit
05-10-2014, 03:24 PM
So it is everyone else's fault that Keenum played so poorly last year?

So give him a coach that is crushing on him, a guarantee that he won't get pulled, a good offensive line. THEN he will do good. Gotcha.

If I can channel Kubes for a moment... Case is a good kid. Don't wish him ill will. But life - and life in the NFL - isn't fair. He got a chance. Couldn't do anything with it. Even if all of it wasn't his fault. He isn't owed anything else.

No it is not everybody elses fault, BUT kubiak told keenum to stay in the pocket, the boy started listening to his coach in fear of getting benched and he began taking sacks.

before that he had a 8TD to 1 int ratio, he also led the yard in yards per completion. Not to mention he had no Foster, no O.D a gimpy D. Brown.

houstonspartan
05-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Dayum.. Screw A.J. McCarron. :user:

Lol. She's definitely hot, but, let's be real: all QB girlfriend/wives basically look the same - blonde, hot, well-endowed, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

houstonspartan
05-10-2014, 03:26 PM
No it is not everybody elses fault, BUT kubiak told keenum to stay in the pocket, the boy started listening to his coach in fear of getting benched and he began taking sacks.

Yep. I'm not a Case Keenum fan, so I have no horse in the debate about his talents, but, it seemed to me that once Kubiak started coaching him, he got worse.

I do think the guy has some potential, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corrosion
05-10-2014, 03:32 PM

No , he didn't.

In fact , they designed a large portion of plays to get Keenum outside the pocket.

Keenum's failures were largely pre snap. He couldn't recognize pressure and coverage packages and didn't make the proper adjustments to those pressures and coverage's.

Even when teams only rushed four but overloaded from one side or the other , Keenum struggled , just go back and watch the 4th quarter of the KC game or the second half against the Dolts.

Keenum's failures were his own , not the coaching staffs ... No , the OL didn't help him and having UDFA's toting the ball in the running game didn't either but he was as much the problem as they were.

sandman
05-10-2014, 03:38 PM
No , he didn't.

In fact , they designed a large portion of plays to get Keenum outside the pocket.

Keenum's failures were largely pre snap. He couldn't recognize pressure and coverage packages and didn't make the proper adjustments to those pressures and coverage's.

Even when teams only rushed four but overloaded from one side or the other , Keenum struggled , just go back and watch the 4th quarter of the KC game or the second half against the Dolts.

Keenum's failures were his own , not the coaching staffs ... No , the OL didn't help him and having UDFA's toting the ball in the running game didn't either but he was as much the problem as they were.

This. No one is saying he was handed a perfectly healthy and coached team. If that were the case (pun intended), they wouldn't have activated their 3rd string QB. Regardless of the situation, he wasn't able to have results substantial enough to warrant anything other than a roster spot. May not be fair, but it is what it is.

Note: my 400th post and been here 5 years. This rash of postings on Draft Day may ruin my lurker status...

badboy
05-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Gonna disagree with you; look at stats after being off a year. He just needs good coaching and consistency.

Savage enrolled at Rutgers University in 2009, and after Rutgers opened the season with a loss to Cincinnati, he was named the starting quarterback. He led the team to a 9-4 record. During his freshman year at Rutgers, Savage passed for 2,211 yards and 14 touchdowns, while throwing only 7 interceptions. In arguably his best game of the year, he completed 14 of 27 passes for a season-high 294 yards and 2 touchdowns against the University of Central Florida in the 2009 St. Petersburg Bowl.[2] He was named on the All-American Freshman Team by the Football Writers Association of America.[3]

In 2010, Savage threw for 521 passing yards, two touchdowns, and three interceptions.[4] Early in the season, he was sidelined by an injury to his hand and replaced with freshman quarterback Chas Dodd. Dodd remained the starting QB based on his performance against Connecticut in his first ever start. On January 8, 2011, Savage announced he would be transferring from Rutgers University.[5] Rutgers granted Savage a conditional release. In February 2011 he announced that he was transferring to Arizona. He would have had to sit out the 2011 season due to NCAA transfer rules but would be eligible to play in 2012.[6]

Late in 2011, Savage announced that he would be leaving Arizona. This move followed the announcement that Arizona had hired Rich Rodriguez as Head Coach. In June Savage announced via his Twitter page that he would be transferring to Pittsburgh where he redshirted in 2012.[7] Savage initially wanted to play at Rutgers again; however a hardship waiver was denied by the NCAA.

On August 14, 2013, Pitt head coach Paul Chryst officially named Savage the starting quarterback for the 2013 season opener against Florida State.[8] For the season he passed for 2,958 yards and 21 touchdowns.

References[edit]
Jump up ^

PapaL
05-10-2014, 03:52 PM
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014tsavage.php

Strengths:
Strong arm
Pocket presence
Height to see the field well
Ability to spin the ball
Can make all the throws
Can fit the ball into tight windows
Good mechanics
Quick release
Good size, height and bulk
Willing to run
Experience in a pro-style offense
Upside

Weaknesses:
Questions about his commitment, intangibles
Must improve his ability to work through progressions
Lacks mobility
Not a true dual-threat quarterback
Raw
Inconsistent
Needs to improve accuracy
Needs to improve footwork
Only played two seasons
Sat out two seasons due to transferring twice
Had a concussion in college

Player Comparison: Chad Henne. If Savage develops, he looks like he could become a better version of Henne (6-4, 230). Both of them are thick pocket passers with the arms to make the necessary throws. They can be inconsistent with accuracy and decision-making. Henne was a second-round pick by Miami, and Savage could easily go on the second day of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Tom Savage | 2013 Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjf78sZxrfU

dalemurphy
05-10-2014, 05:16 PM

We can't assess how this group will turn out. What I'm referring to is the discipline they used sticking with their board, the quality gambles they made (waiting for that group of QBs to drop instead of reaching early), the success in grabbing need positions at high value, and the execution in transitioning the roster into a much more physical one.

Honoring Earl 34
05-10-2014, 05:40 PM

How hot was his GF?

I want to pet that cat .

Playoffs
05-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Official Highlights | Pittsburgh QB Tom Savage (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqnwiSLXrdI)

Tom Savage's maturity impressed O'Brien (http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/5536/tom-savages-maturity-impressed-obrien)

"I was just a young 19-year-old bitter kid who thought I was entitled to some things," Savage said.

jtexas
05-10-2014, 05:46 PM
There ya go. A rational, thought our comment. Serious.

English please.

EllisUnit
05-10-2014, 06:13 PM
No , he didn't.

hmmm maybe you should go read some of Kubiaks quotes back when keenum started his first few games. You know the ones where keenum was lighting it up. He clearly stated that Keenum needs to do a better job staying in the pocket and trusting his protection. He said this many times.

I dont recall seeing any designed plays to get keenum out of the pocket, infact when he was in i saw some of the most plain/vanilla play calling i had ever seen in the Kubiak era.

Oh and you mean the KC game where we had 0 running backs,,, yeah situational in that case. Prob not a fair assessment there.

chicagotexan2
05-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Daym. Week 1 starter.

Welcome to Houston Ms. Savage!

Oh man the SPCA is not gonna like that. then who's the chick?

leebigeztx
05-10-2014, 06:50 PM
This is worth watching...

Video: goPro Helmet Cam on Pitt Quarterback Tom Savage (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGBExvpIHts)

4th Round compensatory pick

OB really liked him at his pro day, which was one of the first on the calendar. OB must see his flaws as fixable. Watching tape, his O-line play was just horrid at times. Derek Newton is 10x better than Pitt's RT.

Not really. Id be surprised if he's anything more than a backup or flash like derek anderson. He's not good at all. He graded out as the worse qb in in terms of accuracy in both short,medium,and long. He gets sacked a lot because he has no pocket presence and throws a lot of questionable balls. He's a poor mans logan thomas. Except logan can run like a deer at times.

Texecutioner
05-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Really didn't know anything about this kid, but I've watched a ton of tape on him in the last hour.

Really nice arm if you ask me. He isn't mobile, but he'll take the ball and has a body that can absorb some hits. He'll sit in the pocket and take that hit to deliver a pass unlike many QB's.

I'm on a wait and see approach with this guy. Definitely like the touch on his passes though. He can sling it.

Seegara
05-10-2014, 07:44 PM
It's about time! He has some downside and let's hope he can learn. They say he has enough intelligence to learn. A grade of A- for this pick.

Hervoyel
05-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Clearly possesses a "laser-rocket arm" and I think with a couple of camps and only a single offense to learn he might just amount to something special.

I've got high hopes.

dalemurphy
05-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Not really. Id be surprised if he's anything more than a backup or flash like derek anderson. He's not good at all. He graded out as the worse qb in in terms of accuracy in both short,medium,and long. He gets sacked a lot because he has no pocket presence and throws a lot of questionable balls. He's a poor mans logan thomas. Except logan can run like a deer at times.

Lee,

I respect your knowledge of the game and know that you are able to rational assess players in an unclouded and unbiased fashion. So, I certainly respect your opinion on Savage, and I'm sure you have spent more time studying him than I have. That being said, I was very impressed with him- loving his delivery and natural arm strength and also believing that he illustrated a very good feel in the pocket considering all the rust he had to overcome this year. I'm not foolish enough to predict he'll turn into our future QB, but I see plenty to be hopeful for and nothing precluding the possibility.

False Start
05-10-2014, 08:55 PM
http://media.nj.com/rutgers_football/photo/11232627-large.jpg

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/men/nicolas-cage/pictures/nicolas-cage-picture-3.jpg

Long lost... father and son? :thinking:

Jackie Chiles
05-10-2014, 09:08 PM

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/men/nicolas-cage/pictures/nicolas-cage-picture-3.jpg

Looks more like the younger brother of Trey Parker to me.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/TreyParkerHWOFApr2013.jpg

Playoffs
05-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Can someone clarify this? Was Savage recruited by O'Brien or something?

Savage considered transferring to Penn State when he began his college tour.

MEGA SWATT
05-10-2014, 09:21 PM
interesting. i hope he becomes a r,eally good qb for us.

DBCooper
05-10-2014, 10:41 PM
interesting. i hope he becomes a r,eally good qb for us.

He doesn't play for the Browns.

Norg
05-10-2014, 11:43 PM
stupid nfl network put commercials right when texans were picking -.-

qb at last, let's hope he is the right choice

this happens every time every year its like Texans didn't pay something to the NFL to were they do this on purpose LOL

leebigeztx
05-11-2014, 01:43 AM
Lee,

I respect your knowledge of the game and know that you are able to rational assess players in an unclouded and unbiased fashion. So, I certainly respect your opinion on Savage, and I'm sure you have spent more time studying him than I have. That being said, I was very impressed with him- loving his delivery and natural arm strength and also believing that he illustrated a very good feel in the pocket considering all the rust he had to overcome this year. I'm not foolish enough to predict he'll turn into our future QB, but I see plenty to be hopeful for and nothing precluding the possibility.

He can throw the ball through a car wash. I've said this in another thread,if the texans wanted a guy like this,why not sign Josh Freeman or draft Logan Thomas? I mean,this dude is a long,long way away. As many noted about TB long ball inaccuracies,savage is worse. The tv people said they didn't see a college qb who could throw a 20 yd comeback route,but there are 6 or 7 qb in the nfl who can do that. Guess what? None are named brees,brady,manning. The guys who can throw those are ben,flacco,stafford,cutler,cam,kaep,and maybe rg3. That's it. I still think mallett is in play for the texans. I doubt they go into camp with any of these 4 and expect to win 7 games.

76Texan
05-11-2014, 01:52 AM
He can throw the ball through a car wash. I've said this in another thread,if the texans wanted a guy like this,why not sign Josh Freeman or draft Logan Thomas? I mean,this dude is a long,long way away. As many noted about TB long ball inaccuracies,savage is worse. The tv people said they didn't see a college qb who could throw a 20 yd comeback route,but there are 6 or 7 qb in the nfl who can do that. Guess what? None are named brees,brady,manning. The guys who can throw those are ben,flacco,stafford,cutler,cam,kaep,and maybe rg3. That's it. I still think mallett is in play for the texans. I doubt they go into camp with any of these 4 and expect to win 7 games.

And why would you want Mallett?

Weren't you one of those who said that a team needs a first rounder at QB?

htownfan32
05-11-2014, 02:07 AM
I don't love the pick, but I see the upside and the possibilities. I'll like for now and trust in Bill O'Brien.

Wolf6151
05-11-2014, 02:11 AM
I don't love the pick, but I see the upside and the possibilities. I'll like for now and trust in Bill O'Brien.

Same here. I like the potential, I just hope he learns fast and gets a chance to play quickly. I graded him a B in the grade the draft thread. Based on girlfriend, I give him an A+

ArlingtonTexan
05-11-2014, 02:23 AM
Same here. I like the potential, I just hope he learns fast and gets a chance to play quickly. I graded him a B in the grade the draft thread. Based on girlfriend, I give him an A+

So what starting QB at a large university either does not have a really hot girlfriend or a harem of skanks.

leebigeztx
05-11-2014, 02:26 AM
And why would you want Mallett?

Weren't you one of those who said that a team needs a first rounder at QB?

I don't want mallett,but he's better than the options in front of us. To be exact,I wanted mallett ,foles,wilson,and geno withinn the last 3 years. I knew schaub wasn't the answer,but that's me.

Going into the season with fitz and his bad play,keenum or tj,and savage is not a option I would like to see happen. The team would be 1 injury away from another disaster.

Wolf6151
05-11-2014, 02:28 AM
So what starting QB at a large university either does not have a really hot girlfriend or a harem of skanks.

You make it sound like having a harem of skanks is a bad thing. As long as you wrap that rascal and aren't creating a bunch of child support checks, he should play the field.

htownfan32
05-11-2014, 03:45 AM
Lack of mobility? I saw that as a knock on him, but he doesn't seem like a statue. I wouldn't say he was as fast as Keenum or anything, but his highlight reel shows him able to escape pressure and extend the play.

Liked a bit of what I saw. He has a rifle of an arm, for sure.

revan
05-11-2014, 03:55 AM
Drew Henson, Dave Ragone, B.J. Symons, Alex Brink, and T.J Yates welcome Savage. At least with Yates we have some good memories.

LikeMike
05-11-2014, 04:42 AM
Lack of mobility? I saw that as a knock on him, but he doesn't seem like a statue. I wouldn't say he was as fast as Keenum or anything, but his highlight reel shows him able to escape pressure and extend the play.

Liked a bit of what I saw. He has a rifle of an arm, for sure.

Well, he is more like Peyton Manning when it comes to mobility. He does a lot of small, smart movements in the pocket that make guys miss. But he also takes off more than he should, and he seems to be an awful runner that doesn't slide.

I've watched some tape on him and so far he looks really promising. He has a cannon of an arm as we all know, but he doesn't look half as inaccurate as I feared. Frankly I've seen McCarron miss on more easy throws, but that may just be because of the limited tape I've watched.

Of course he still has to develope his reads, eyes, and decicion making and define his mechanics. When you take a QB at the bottom of the fourth you know, that there is a big chance he never developes into something. But I agree that his tape and his tools are impressive, plus you have got to like his story. I am anxious to see what OB can do with him. Frankly I would be more than happy to see him start sooner rather than later. I dont think any QB on the roster is the answer, so lets give him a shot. If he doesnt impress us, take a QB next draft.

Edit: Alright, I´ve now watched 3 games (draftbreakdown).

He´s had a real good game vs. Miami. I´ve counted 7 very catchable throws that were dropped. Savage also really showcases his ability to get out of trouble when the pocket collapsed. He had a handful of bad throws in there and an INT when he forced it late in the 4th. Great game overall.

Vs. NC was a lot tougher for him. He had several bad throws in there and fumbled the ball. His O-Line gave him no help at all. He got pressured all day. Still, you see all his upside. Look at his first 2 throws that game, those are perfect NFL throws. He doesn`t only throw it fast, he also throws a perfect spiral. He has a tendency to stare down his receivers and he needs to learn, when it is better to just take a sack. But he also led a pretty good comeback that fel just short.

After that gametape I feel even better than before. I havent seen one wtf throw, I haven`t seen lots of screens to boost his stats and I haven`t seen inaccuracy. I have seen a horrible o-line and I have seen receivers, that drop easy balls (though it wasn`t half as bad vs. NC as it was against Miami). I can see now, why scouts fell in love with him.

Thorn
05-11-2014, 07:07 AM

He's the baby from Raising Arizona!

I loved that movie.

Ed McDonnough: You mean you busted out of jail.

Evelle: No, ma'am. We released ourselves on our own recognizance.

Gale: What Evelle here is trying to say is that we felt that the institution no longer had anything to offer us.

ArlingtonTexan
05-11-2014, 07:36 AM
You make it sound like having a harem of skanks is a bad thing. As long as you wrap that rascal and aren't creating a bunch of child support checks, he should play the field.

Only bad because I did not have one in college

Pollardized
05-11-2014, 08:50 AM

How hot was his GF?

she has a nice looking....

cat

Honoring Earl 34
05-11-2014, 08:53 AM
she has a nice looking....

cat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRR1aKBOCOQ

WolverineFan
05-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Was not a big fan of Savage during the pre-draft process. He got a lot of hype behind him because of his physical attributes and not for his play on the field. He struggled against good competition and his best qualities were traits and not skills (aka being big and strong arm).

That being said, O'Brien clearly likes him and thinks he can work with what he's got. I don't love the pick, but I don't hate it. Especially since it was a late 4th rounder instead of a 2nd-3rd rounder like many people were saying. I would have lost it if we had taken him with a 2nd or 3rd.

LikeMike
05-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Was not a big fan of Savage during the pre-draft process. He got a lot of hype behind him because of his physical attributes and not for his play on the field. He struggled against good competition and his best qualities were traits and not skills (aka being big and strong arm).

That being said, O'Brien clearly likes him and thinks he can work with what he's got. I don't love the pick, but I don't hate it. Especially since it was a late 4th rounder instead of a 2nd-3rd rounder like many people were saying. I would have lost it if we had taken him with a 2nd or 3rd.

Just finished watching the game against Florida. While I said he didn`t have any wtf throws the 3 other games I watched, he had 3 in this one. But to his defense, he was severly pressured and sackes often. Still, you can`t make some of these throws.

Still, what I am seeing on tape is really encouraging. Also in the Florida game he had several throws that not many people in the NFL can do. Like 60 yards bombs that hit the receiver in stride.

I would almost go as far as to say: accuracy is not a big problem. I haven`t seen many bad throws. Some were a little low, and a couple got away from him some. But overall he throws to good spots. His low completion % is probably at least in part due to his horrible O-line (rushing throws and having to throw away the ball hurts your percentage) and to the bad hands of several of his receivers that dropped lots of balls.

His problem is more his vision and going through his reads fast. He knows who he wants to throw to and stares at him - defenders can easily read him. When his guy isn`t open, he takes to long to go to the next option. And, especially late in games, he´s got a tendency to force the ball into good coverage. Oh and he definetly needs to improve his play action, that is fooling no one.

I can absolutely see what scouts love about him. After scouting him and the top 4, I´d say he easily has the best arm (better than Carr) and he also is one of the most accurate if it only comes down to ballplacement. Carr and Bridgewater were horrible on deep balls, Savage is pretty good. And I saw fewer balls get away from him, than from Bortles.

Coaches need to work with his vision and fast decisionmaking, his eyes and what to do when there is a blitz (hint: don`t run backwards and get sacked and don`t run for it when there are defenders nearby. Oh and please slide). Considering he hasn`t been in any offense for more than a season and he lacks experience, those are things that are definetly correctable. Savage looks like a winner.

Texecutioner
05-11-2014, 10:46 AM

Yeah, why are their GF"s of so much importance all of a sudden? I'd imagine every starting college QB even at Junior colleges have hot GF's. Big deal.

The Pencil Neck
05-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Yeah, why are their GF"s of so much importance all of a sudden? I'd imagine every starting college QB even at Junior colleges have hot GF's. Big deal.

There was a running... or should I say IS a running joke about the confidence of the QB prospect being related to how hot his GF is.

It's just a joke.

I think.

76Texan
05-11-2014, 12:04 PM
I don't want mallett,but he's better than the options in front of us. To be exact,I wanted mallett ,foles,wilson,and geno withinn the last 3 years. I knew schaub wasn't the answer,but that's me.

Going into the season with fitz and his bad play,keenum or tj,and savage is not a option I would like to see happen. The team would be 1 injury away from another disaster.

All you can say is that you like Mallett; you can't tell us why he will be better than what we currently got.

Lucky
05-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Come on guys seriously this guy?:

Look at that face, does that look like a guy in the same level as russell wilson, eli & payton manning, joe montana, dan marino, aaron rodgers?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdeadaRkVr1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

You have a thing for these guys? If not NFL QBs, they would be perfect as Gomer and Goober if the Andy Griffith Show ever made it to the big screen.

And by your criteria, Tom Savage is a kickass, Super Bowl MVP type name. At the very least, it's a great porn name.

infantrycak
05-11-2014, 12:37 PM
All you can say is that you like Mallett; you can't tell us why he will be better than what we currently got.

In your absence the reasons to like Mallett have been laid out several times. Besides, it doesn't appear you are going to give due consideration to any explanation anyway.

rmartin65
05-11-2014, 12:40 PM
honest question,

can you seriously trust a young athlete to be consistently great if he's already balding in his prime?

i dunno, maybe its just me but i wouldnt trust any young athlete already balding during their prime athletic years.

in any sport.

Ryan Getzlaf, C, Anaheim Ducks (NHL)

htownfan32
05-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Why are we reading any post by an obvious 4chan troll with the same username as a Dragon Ball Z character from a made for DVD movie released only in Japanese?

76Texan
05-11-2014, 02:47 PM
In your absence the reasons to like Mallett have been laid out several times. Besides, it doesn't appear you are going to give due consideration to any explanation anyway.

I've been around, just haven't been posting until the last few days.
You made me go back and read over 900 posts for nothing; sorry.

I don't see how anybody can prove that Mallett is better than what we currently have.

Lucky
05-11-2014, 03:01 PM
i dunno, maybe its just me but i wouldnt trust any young athlete already balding during their prime athletic years.

in any sport.
http://rollingout.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/michael-jordan.jpg

You're right again. Can't think of anyone.

DBCooper
05-11-2014, 03:24 PM
http://rollingout.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/michael-jordan.jpg

You're right again. Can't think of anyone.

Damn, beat me to it!

But hairlines and looks are the most important thing for a football player, right up there with them having the correct sexual orientation.

Vance87
05-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Lebron is balding, so is Luck. :)

thunderkyss
05-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Just finished watching the game against Florida. While I said he didn`t have any wtf throws the 3 other games I watched, he had 3 in this one. But to his defense, he was severly pressured and sackes often. Still, you can`t make some of these throws.

Still, what I am seeing on tape is really encouraging. Also in the Florida game he had several throws that not many people in the NFL can do. Like 60 yards bombs that hit the receiver in stride.

The buzz is that he got better as the season progressed. I think he said it was 1,024 days of not playing in a real game before he stepped on the field against Florida State. He walked on with no scholarship, learned the offense, won the starting job & started against Florida State.

When you take that into account, that Florida State game doesn't look so bad, but I saw several WTF throws.

Then you look at his stat line against Miami (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=333330221), 24/43 (55%), 281 yards (6.5 ypa), 2 TDs, 1 INT & I'm not seeing the progression people are talking about.

But if you watch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDdA-Q-74eI)the game, not so bad. He's got his mechanics worked out. Holds the ball high on the chest (still lower than the way it's taught) but the draw back & release is perfect & fluid. His feet work the way they're supposed to, in rhythm with his reads, & when he gets to the bottom of his drop, he's made his decision & he's loading up off that back foot.

He's not a dual threat, but he's no Schaub. He moves well on bootlegs & designed roll outs. Throws well on the run.

NFL.com grades him as a backup (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker?icampaign=nfl_drafttracker_nav-tracker#dt-by-round-input:1/dt-tabs:dt-by-position) with a 5.2, but I like his chances to start better than Garoppolo or Manziel since he's already doing things they aren't. Things they'll have to do in the NFL in so much as his footwork/reads/rhythm & going through progressions.

Garoppolo is a Senior & three plus year starter.

I like Manziel, but who knows how well he's going to learn & work inside an offensive system?

I think Savage compares well to Bortles. Bortles definitely has a leg up in that he's put up better numbers & had more success. But Savage is more mechanically sound.

Bortles was on my list of 5. Savage was not & I've been looking at him since his name popped up. I never would have drafted Savage over McCarron, or Murray, or Bortles... but like I said before, I'm not privy to the interviews & that could have made the difference. This kid has been through a lot & he never gave up on football. He's a fast learner. He's just as talented as any QB in this draft, maybe more.

But I'm glad we didn't use a high 4th rounder on him..... expectations are low & we'll see how he do.

xtruroyaltyx
05-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Don't discount good coaching.

Even if savage isn't the guy we want him to be right this second, he can and should get better the longer OB coaches him.

4th round pick. Going to have some warts. Even first rounders do.

If he's not the guy, well, ok. But I'm not going to condemn him just yet.

Wasn't my too choice, but he does have some skills that can be honed/molded. That's about as much as I expect out if a fourth round qb.

Nawzer
05-11-2014, 08:55 PM
If he can become a serviceable no.2 then the pick will have accomplished its goal. I don't see him becoming a starter.

The Pencil Neck
05-11-2014, 09:44 PM
This kid has been through a lot & he never gave up on football.

There was a thread a couple of months ago where it was brought up that the QBs that end up doing well are frequently (not always) the ones who've had to fight through some sort of adversity along the way and not the ones who've been successful and the top of the class every step of the way.

One of the things I like about Savage is what you've said here. He's had some ups and downs, he's learned a lot about himself, and he fought through it.

I've got pretty high hopes for him.

leebigeztx
05-11-2014, 10:32 PM

When I wanted mallett 3 yrs ago, my reasons were pretty simple: if you're gonna have a slow footed qb, at least have one who can challenge every blade of grass with his arm like mallett. My reason for wanting mallett now vs savage are just as simple. If you want a big guy with a strong arm,mallett speaks the language you're already speaking. Nobody called mallett a project. Mallett, can come in now and understand the plays right now. Its the same as cassell under haley,schaub under kubes. I would rather have that that fitz starting or one of the other guys being 1 play away. Mallett is what, 25?

thunderkyss
05-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Mallett is what, 25?

He'll turn 26 in June

DX-TEX
05-11-2014, 11:08 PM
He'll turn 26 in June

Almost the same age as Savage...

leebigeztx
05-12-2014, 12:08 AM
He'll turn 26 in June

Top that off, brady doesn't even fit the profil for obrien. There is a reason brady almost went undrafted. He didn't have a nfl arm. Even now his arm is just solid,but it never gets exposed until they play a good defense. Brady was never able to throw deep comebacks and flag patterns. That's why they got the te and slot wrs. If you chart brady throws, 85% are inside the hash 6-10 yds away.. Ne led the nfl in yac. That inflated bradys ypa. When it was charted out his throws outside the numbers,15 yds down the field,he completed the fewest in that range. More like bottom 3 among all qbs.

Back to the topic,really in response to 76Texan, I just don't see Savage being anything. Sure he can throw it through a carwash,so what? There are guys from Billie Joe Tolliver to Derek Anderson to John Skelton who could do that. Didn't mean they could play qb in nfl.

thunderkyss
05-12-2014, 12:26 AM
Back to the topic,really in response to 76Texan, I just don't see Savage being anything. Sure he can throw it through a carwash,so what? There are guys from Billie Joe Tolliver to Derek Anderson to John Skelton who could do that. Didn't mean they could play qb in nfl.

So what's the difference between a guy like Billy Joe Tolliver & Aaron Brooks?

steelbtexan
05-12-2014, 12:34 AM
Top that off, brady doesn't even fit the profil for obrien. There is a reason brady almost went undrafted. He didn't have a nfl arm. Even now his arm is just solid,but it never gets exposed until they play a good defense. Brady was never able to throw deep comebacks and flag patterns. That's why they got the te and slot wrs. If you chart brady throws, 85% are inside the hash 6-10 yds away.. Ne led the nfl in yac. That inflated bradys ypa. When it was charted out his throws outside the numbers,15 yds down the field,he completed the fewest in that range. More like bottom 3 among all qbs.

I would take on Mallett for a 2015 3rd in a heartbeat and trade Keenum/Yates to the Ravens. What's not to like about Savage? Smart? (Learned a pro style offense on his own, check) Arm Strngth? (Strongest arm in the draft, Check) Movement Skills? (Looks like he navigates the pocket a lot like your boy TB, Ckeck) Accuracy? (Good accuracy from what I saw looking at his you tube film. Check)

What QB not named TB would have been a guy that you would've been on board with as possible QB of the future? The thing about Savage that I like is that after 3yrs away from the game he started out with 6 TD's and 6 int's. Then improved as he got back into the rhythm and the speed of the game. He played behind a terrible OL and still produced. Shocking that Savage would have a bad game in his 1st game in 3 yrs against last yrs Fla St defense.

DocBar
05-12-2014, 01:06 AM
Watching this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSfhpmeRmY0) highlight reel, I see a quick release, strong arm and the ability to move and be accurate. I also see some footwork issues (but I'm not that great at judging that) and the tendency to stare down his receiver. I don't see him going through his progressions very much. That worries me.

I also see some throws that are "highlights" but could've been lowlights. Did he make a great throws or get lucky? A lot of them looked like NFL tight coverages, so who knows? My biggest questions are can he read a defense, can he learn to stay in a clean-ish pocket and is he as coachable? After reading his story, I'm sure he'll put in the time to learn the offense and work his tail off to translate it on the field.

Sorry if this has already been brought up. Had a busy weekend and I'm not going to read through 9 pages or so to find out.

DocBar
05-12-2014, 01:16 AM
I would take on Mallett for a 2015 3rd in a heartbeat and trade Yates to the Ravens. What's not to like about Savage? Smart? (Learned a pro style offense on his own, check) Arm Strngth? (Strongest arm in the draft, Check) Movement Skills? (Looks like he navigates the pocket a lot like your boy TB, Ckeck) Accuracy? (Good accuracy from what I saw looking at his you tube film. Check)

What QB not named TB would have been a guy that you would've been on board with as possible QB of the future? The thing about Savage that I like is that after 3yrs away from the game he started out with 6 TD's and 6 int's. Then improved as he got back into the rhythm and the speed of the game. He played behind a terrible OL and still produced. Shocking that Savage would have a bad game in his 1st game in 3 yrs against last yrs Fla St defense.FIFY. There's no way in hell Keenum gets anywhere near a Kubiak team unless he wakes up in the morning and sees Joe Montana in the mirror. Keenum is likely high on the list of why Kubiak lost the team and the owner. Having said that, Kubiak's hardheadedness and inflexibility are the reasons he's no longer coaching the Texans. IMHO, he did the entire organization wrong by not game planning for Keenum's strengths (minus the 1st two games) and insisting Keenum fit "The System".

I've taken a hide and watch approach to this draft. Regardless of my opinion, I approve and support every pick in this draft. In BOB/Smith I trust until proven otherwise.

Savage wasn't in my top 5 or so QB's, but I start and commission power plants for a living, not draft or coach players for an NFL franchise.

:fans:

thunderkyss
05-12-2014, 03:29 AM
Chris Simms loves Tom Savage (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2052857-tom-savage-nfl-draft-2014-grading-texans-fourth-round-pick)

.While he's taken an unconventional road to the NFL, there is a lot to like about him as a pro prospect. With a big arm to go with his 6'4" frame, the intriguing journeyman QB caught the attention of teams around the league.

leebigeztx
05-12-2014, 03:37 AM
I would take on Mallett for a 2015 3rd in a heartbeat and trade Keenum/Yates to the Ravens. What's not to like about Savage? Smart? (Learned a pro style offense on his own, check) Arm Strngth? (Strongest arm in the draft, Check) Movement Skills? (Looks like he navigates the pocket a lot like your boy TB, Ckeck) Accuracy? (Good accuracy from what I saw looking at his you tube film. Check)

What QB not named TB would have been a guy that you would've been on board with as possible QB of the future? The thing about Savage that I like is that after 3yrs away from the game he started out with 6 TD's and 6 int's. Then improved as he got back into the rhythm and the speed of the game. He played behind a terrible OL and still produced. Shocking that Savage would have a bad game in his 1st game in 3 yrs against last yrs Fla St defense.

Savage accuracy is in the same class as josh freeman. I like his arm,but arm doesn't mae a good qb. Decision making,pinpoint accuracy are probably the 2 most importat traits qbs need to have. As I've said before,what the difference in logan thomas ad savage physically?

Scooter
05-12-2014, 03:45 AM
best feet in the class, as well as a huge arm. one of only a couple this year with recognizable pocket presence in spite of constant pressure his senior year. i think these 3 talents - feet, cannon, awareness - make savage the most likely to realize a high potential from this class. i'd in no way put him in as a rookie, and may even wait until his 3rd season to put him into the game if he pans out. his true growth will come on the practice field. learning and accepting what it means to be a leader of men, knowing every nuance of the playbook, and fighting up to earn the job.

revan
05-12-2014, 03:55 AM
best feet in the class, as well as a huge arm. one of only a couple this year with recognizable pocket presence in spite of constant pressure his senior year. i think these 3 talents - feet, cannon, awareness - make savage the most likely to realize a high potential from this class. i'd in no way put him in as a rookie, and may even wait until his 3rd season to put him into the game if he pans out. his true growth will come on the practice field. learning and accepting what it means to be a leader of men, knowing every nuance of the playbook, and fighting up to earn the job.

If these were the real plans that our team would have then I hope they trade away AJ to a contender and not let him suffer three years of crappy QB play while we wait to see if Savage will be our future franchise QB.

dalemurphy
05-12-2014, 06:09 AM
Savage accuracy is in the same class as josh freeman. I like his arm,but arm doesn't mae a good qb. Decision making,pinpoint accuracy are probably the 2 most importat traits qbs need to have. As I've said before,what the difference in logan thomas ad savage physically?

First, let's put the Freeman issue aside. Freeman is as available next week as he was during the draft. Nothing about the Savage pick eliminates the possibility to go get a veteran. Moreso, Savage is cheaper and more raw than any available veteran- while "raw" seems like a con, I think OB is wanting a guy to develop instead of a guy who has had some success and years of habits that he may first have to break down...

The Logan Thomas and Savage comparison makes sense to me. L Thomas appears to be a better athlete and his arm strength is probably better than Savage's. That being said, I think Savages delivery is quicker and more natural/fluid. The ball comes out of his hand, IMO, naturally. He appears to have all the ingredients of an accurate NFL passer other than the college resume' to prove it.

I am happy with the pick despite the flaws and issues, because I think it is uncommon that an NFL team finds a QB with all of the passing ability Savage has, without significant health issues, and also with character and leadership intangibles needed for sustained success... To me, therefore, the risk/reward for the pick makes total sense.

LikeMike
05-12-2014, 07:37 AM
I wouldn`t even call him that raw. He might have the best combination of size, arm strength and accuracy of the whole draft class. He also has nice feet and a nice spidey sense inside the pocket and is tough as nails.

What he needs is experience and a whole lot of learning NFL coverages. He also needs to improve not staring down his receiver and going through reads quicker. And he should improve his presnap reads to cover blitzes. And he definetly needs to work on his play action fakes.

I think he is a typical mid-late round QB that OB wanted. He is a guy that has all the tools you can`t teach. And everything he lacks seems to be teachable. Usually that doesn`t work out. But the few times it does, the QB can turn into something special. And Savage has all the tools to be special.

Sigma
05-12-2014, 08:01 AM

I feel the same way, but in the end I guess is better solidify the core and then take the very good qb.
because if you take the very good qb and give him zero protection he won't last long. and then you find yourself with an injured (not any more) very good qb and a bad core.

I would have liked to solve all problems, but maybe patience is the better way.

If these were the real plans that our team would have then I hope they trade away AJ to a contender and not let him suffer three years of crappy QB play while we wait to see if Savage will be our future franchise QB.

just wait untill next year, if I'm not mistaken this is the last year on AJ contract... meaning that he could very well retire or change team next year if he doesn't like what he sees here

thunderkyss
05-12-2014, 08:14 AM
I think he is a typical mid-late round QB that OB wanted. He is a guy that has all the tools you can`t teach. And everything he lacks seems to be teachable. Usually that doesn`t work out. But the few times it does, the QB can turn into something special. And Savage has all the tools to be special.

How would you compare him to Jay Cutler?

Mr teX
05-12-2014, 08:37 AM

That's who he reminded me of when i started watching videos of him....mainly b/c both guys have a similar delivery. Even though Cutler was still a 1st rounder & Savage was a 4th, both guys were still under-the-radar compared to their more talked about cohorts VY, Lienart, Bortles, Manziel & Bridgewater.

Another guy that has a similar delivery to him is Matt Stafford...the obvious HOF candidate he's most similar to is Brett Favre. & it's not just b/c of the big arm. the deliveries of all these guys are very similar. that small little hop all these guys have when they're trying to hum it in there...those "all arm" throws that wow you....everything they throw are pretty spirals that just cut through wind...

Bulls on Parade
05-12-2014, 09:17 AM
That's who he reminded me of when i started watching videos of him....mainly b/c both guys have a similar delivery. Even though Cutler was still a 1st rounder & Savage was a 4th, both guys were still under-the-radar compared to their more talked about cohorts VY, Lienart, Bortles, Manziel & Bridgewater.

Another guy that has a similar delivery to him is Matt Stafford...the obvious HOF candidate he's most similar to is Brett Favre. & it's not just b/c of the big arm. the deliveries of all these guys are very similar. that small little hop all these guys have when they're trying to hum it in there...those "all arm" throws that wow you....everything they throw are pretty spirals that just cut through wind...
I've seen comparisons of Tom Savage to Troy Aikman, including from Gil Brandt, longtime Vice President of player personnel for the Dallas Cowboys from 1960 to 1988. If anybody would know his stuff it's him.

http://thevikingage.com/2014/03/21/vikings-draft-targets-tom-savage-reminds-gil-brandt-troy-aikman/

All the buzz leading up to the draft was how Norv Turner was intrigued by the possibility of drafting Tom Savage. I guess they were surprised when Teddy Bridgewater fell to the last pick in round one. Another thing about Tom Savage that I hear from all the experts on TV is that he has Tom Brady like qualities. Which if true, I'm sure Bill O'Brien was sold on that.

LikeMike
05-12-2014, 09:21 AM

Interesting comparison. Reading back some scouting reports on Cutler, it does sound a lot like what you are hearing and seeing in Savage. But there is a reason Cutler was a first round QB and Savage a 4th round. I am not saying Savage deserved to get selected much higher. He definetly needs to develope the "football knowledge" aspect of the game. Cutler was much more adept at reading defenses and making adjustments at the line. But really, with their strengths and weaknesses they sound a lot alike.

The thing about Savage: he is kinda an unknown. He never really had the time to learn a system and he had such a long football break inbetween. If he stayed at Rutgers and fought for his job back, all the mental aspects should`ve been much farther along.

The question is: is he capable of learning everything he missed and will he improve a lot when he has time to learn a system? I guess OB thinks so. Like I said, the tools are there. Now it`s time to go to the filmroom and out on the practice field.

steelbtexan
05-12-2014, 09:28 AM

Work ethic? Thomas never got better throughout his college yrs. Savage took it upon himself to make himself a draftable player.

Physically? not much

I agree with the Freeman comparison, but I doubt Savage will be spending as much time on the party scene and more time perfecting his craft, unlike Freeman who has issues that stretch far beyond the field. I sincerely hope Freeman can get his life back together and become the QB that his great talent dictates.

Mr teX
05-12-2014, 09:32 AM
I've seen comparisons of Tom Savage to Troy Aikman, including from Gil Brandt, longtime Vice President of player personnel for the Dallas Cowboys from 1960 to 1988. If anybody would know his stuff it's him.

http://thevikingage.com/2014/03/21/vikings-draft-targets-tom-savage-reminds-gil-brandt-troy-aikman/

All the buzz leading up to the draft was how Norv Turner was intrigued by the possibility of drafting Tom Savage. I guess they were surprised when Teddy Bridgewater fell to the last pick in round one. Another thing about Tom Savage that I hear from all the experts on TV is that he has Tom Brady like qualities. Which if true, I'm sure Bill O'Brien was sold on that.

He's probably got very sound reasoning for it, but i don't see it. Everything from the hype coming into the draft to how they throw it is different to me. Aikman was much more polished & technically sound. His throwing motion to me looked like it was built & he perfected it through time & repetition...much like Peyton Manning..he wasn't a guy that just went out & slung it around like Savage/Favre.

Aikman is only similar to Savage in that both guys transfered from a college that didn't appear to highlight their skill sets.

The Pencil Neck
05-12-2014, 10:01 AM
I think one HUGE difference between Tom Savage and Josh Freeman is guts. Tom Savage got battered at Pitt and he kept playing. Josh Freeman got battered during one game with us and was heard (on Mic'd Up) that he just wanted the game to be over and he was playing like it. I think that means a lot to OB, that QB who will keep fighting and battling.

I think Savage is also smarter and harder worker than Freeman or Logan Thomas. OB has known Savage for several years and he's seen the progression he's made. I think that indicates to OB that Savage is a guy who's going to put in the time and effort to improve.

I expect Savage to be starting earlier than later.

xtruroyaltyx
05-12-2014, 10:15 AM
He looked awful against Florida St which was their first game...Then I watch the Miami game which was their last regular game and he looked much better.

One thing I see is that Savage seems to get jittery in the pocket and will sometimes make a rushed/ill advised throw. Also, he needs to step up into the pocket more.

I though Aaron Murray was excellent in these regards, but Savage is the bigger guy with the stronger arm.

Savage is going to have to get better in the pocket. If he can do that then my hopes for him as a QB get much higher.

But overall, he shows some good things, some bad things. Just have to hope OB is the QB guy he's touted as and that Savage can be molded into the guy we want.

One thing I wonder is how soon OB expects to know this, because we'll have the chance to draft a QB again next year and Mallett will be a FA most likely....especially if no one trades for him.

steelbtexan
05-12-2014, 10:20 AM

Why do you feel sorry for AJ? He's made millions of $$$$. The only way that I would trade him is after this yr if he's had a great yr and the Texans org could get a kings ransom for him and the team is a long way away from winning.

The Astros are suffering the consequences of holding on to Biggio/Bagwell when they were way past their prime. Instead of trading them off to restock the franchise with young and up & coming talent. I don't get this wanting to have star players retire with the hometown team. The jersey on the front means more to me than the name on the back. The only player in Houston sports history I haven't felt that way about was Hakeem. I mean even Earl got traded at the end.

Not that any of this has a thing to do with AJ.

DX-TEX
05-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Why do you feel sorry for AJ? He's made millions of $$$$. The only way that I would trade him is after this yr if he's had a great yr and the Texans org could get a kings ransom for him and the team is a long way away from winning.

The Astros are suffering the consequences of holding on to Biggio/Bagwell when they were way past their prime. Instead of trading them off to restock the franchise with young and up & coming talent. I don't get this wanting to have star players retire with the hometown team. The jersey on the front means more to me than the name on the back. The only player in Houston sports history I haven't felt that way about was Hakeem. I mean even Earl got traded at the end.

Not that any of this has a thing to do with AJ.

Agreed. Anytime I even mention trading him I get assaulted.

Face facts: he is an aging WR who is going to hit the downside of his career pretty damn fast

Mr teX
05-12-2014, 10:43 AM
He looked awful against Florida St which was their first game...Then I watch the Miami game which was their last regular game and he looked much better.

One thing I see is that Savage seems to get jittery in the pocket and will sometimes make a rushed/ill advised throw. Also, he needs to step up into the pocket more.

I though Aaron Murray was excellent in these regards, but Savage is the bigger guy with the stronger arm.

Savage is going to have to get better in the pocket. If he can do that then my hopes for him as a QB get much higher.

But overall, he shows some good things, some bad things. Just have to hope OB is the QB guy he's touted as and that Savage can be molded into the guy we want.

One thing I wonder is how soon OB expects to know this, because we'll have the chance to draft a QB again next year and Mallett will be a FA most likely....especially if no one trades for him.

basically. He looks like most college qb's in their 2nd full year of starting look.......which is essentially what he is in despite what his college career and age suggest.

Double Barrel
05-12-2014, 10:55 AM
just wait untill next year, if I'm not mistaken this is the last year on AJ contract... meaning that he could very well retire or change team next year if he doesn't like what he sees here

AJ is a free agent in 2017 according to Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1575/andre-johnson):

8/5/2010: Signed a seven-year, $62.7 million contract. The deal contains $48 million guaranteed, including a $2.8 million signing bonus. Another $10 million is available through incentives based on performance. Johnson is eligible for annual workout bonuses of $1 million throughout the contract's life. The Texans paid Johnson a $5.5 million "signing" bonus during the 2013 offseason. 2014: $6.5 million, 2015: $10.5 million, 2016: $11 million, 2017: Free Agent

thunderkyss
05-12-2014, 11:08 AM
But there is a reason Cutler was a first round QB and Savage a 4th round. I am not saying Savage deserved to get selected much higher. He definetly needs to develope the "football knowledge" aspect of the game. Cutler was much more adept at reading defenses and making adjustments at the line. But really, with their strengths and weaknesses they sound a lot alike.

The thing about Savage: he is kinda an unknown.

Hmmm. Interesting take. I think the only reason Cutler was a first round pick, was because the only decent, pro system QBs in that draft was him & Matt Lienart. If there were other QBs his size that played in a pro system in that draft, he'd have gone much lower.

I don't know if we can say Cutler was more adept at reading coverages or setting protections... Cutler's (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jay-cutler-1.html)OL didn't protect him anymore than Savage's protected him & Savage (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tom-savage-1.html) had a higher completion percentage, higher YPA, & higher rating their senior year. They both threw 21 TDs & 9 Ints against comparable levels of competition.

Only difference is that Cutler was a four year starter.

BullNation4Life
05-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Well, I guess now we get to see what kind of QB Guru O'Brien is....

If he turns Savage into a legit starter and wins games, great...

If not, then Texans are looking for a starting QB in a couple of years...

Playoffs
05-12-2014, 11:50 AM
Only difference is that Cutler was a four year starter.Interesting comparison...

Cutler is a miserable child who quickly tires of his new coaches then goes all "silent treatment" on them requiring intermediaries for communication. He is the picture of a ME player. And despite having his mechanics coached up for years now he has yet to ingrain the proper fundamentals. But a truly great arm talent.

Savage as a freshman at Rutgers sounds like Cutler. If Savage has anything like Cutler's personality defects remaining -- after his humbling college experiences that left him working construction -- the Texans are flat out doing it wrong. Seems to me like he has grown up. We'll see.

Big Lou
05-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Don't discount good coaching.

Even if savage isn't the guy we want him to be right this second, he can and should get better the longer OB coaches him.

4th round pick. Going to have some warts. Even first rounders do.

If he's not the guy, well, ok. But I'm not going to condemn him just yet.

Wasn't my too choice, but he does have some skills that can be honed/molded. That's about as much as I expect out if a fourth round qb.

Or Propecia for some in the forum.

kingtexan
05-12-2014, 12:39 PM
One thing OB mentioned he really liked about this guy was the straight forward answers during his interview.

If he is intelligent and a no BS'r, then that is a good start.

Along with the physical traits it could mean a teachable athlete. That's really all you need.

The1ApplePie
05-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Solid potential. Seems to be a Favre/Romo style QB, which the franchise has never had.

If he sucks, it was just a 4th round pick, no harm in punting on it.

badboy
05-12-2014, 01:20 PM
I wouldn`t even call him that raw. He might have the best combination of size, arm strength and accuracy of the whole draft class. He also has nice feet and a nice spidey sense inside the pocket and is tough as nails.

What he needs is experience and a whole lot of learning NFL coverages. He also needs to improve not staring down his receiver and going through reads quicker. And he should improve his presnap reads to cover blitzes. And he definetly needs to work on his play action fakes.

610 radio reported today that O'Brien said they will work with Savage to develop "what we call silent alarm" so he understands when to get rid of the ball.

LikeMike
05-12-2014, 03:07 PM
610 radio reported today that O'Brien said they will work with Savage to develop "what we call silent alarm" so he understands when to get rid of the ball.

With spidey sense I meant he notices it when a defender is very close to tackling him and he spins out of harms way. The silent alarm is, at least in my opinion, an internal clock that tells you: it`s about time to throw or a defender will get too close to you.

kiwitexansfan
05-13-2014, 03:33 AM
Been watching Savage cut-ups.

He definitely has a arm far superior to anyone that we have had in Houston since Carr left.

All his throws look effortless.

He seems to be able to manage and offense and make adjustments.

Does ok working through progressions and placing the ball in good spots.

May tend to throw a bit high at times, which might work well with Hopkins.

Calm under pressure.

More mobile than you think, an upgrade of Schuab for sure.

I'm quietly optimistic.

I am looking forward to some bombs being thrown this year.

thunderkyss
05-13-2014, 03:41 AM
Meltzer did a video breakdown (http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/05/12/mike-meltsers-video-analysis-of-tom-savage/). Not the greatest breakdown, but something to talk about.

DocBar
05-13-2014, 04:06 AM
Meltzer did a video breakdown (http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/05/12/mike-meltsers-video-analysis-of-tom-savage/). Not the greatest breakdown, but something to talk about.

Accuracy

I’ve always believed that the most important attribute of a quarterback is accuracy, and putting the football in the right spots. Savage’s general summary (tall, big-arm) may indicate someone who struggles in this department. I was actually consistently impressed with his ability to hit WRs, TEs, and RBs within 5 yards or even behind the line of scrimmage. Savage usually gave his weapons a chance to run with the football after the catch.
I haven't watched a video yet, but the bolded really jumped out at me. Is that really something to be impressed by? Those should be pretty much a given for a drafted QB.

That last clip clearly showed what a quick release he has, a pretty dang good arm and very good accuracy on the deep ball. He had a clean pocket but also just a 4 man rush.

All in all, I'm good with the Texans draft. I'm glad they didn't reach on a QB out of desperation. This looks like a BPA draft for the most part. Maybe a reach with Fido, but other than that, I don't see one.

How Savage develops will go a long way as far as BO'Bs QB "guru" status goes. Can he take a kid with all the physical tools and teach him how to read a defense quickly and correctly? I have no real idea if that can be taught.

thunderkyss
05-13-2014, 04:30 AM
I haven't watched a video yet, but the bolded really jumped out at me. Is that really something to be impressed by? Those should be pretty much a given for a drafted QB.

I heard him saying something similar on the radio, "under duress" was part of the on air comment. He was impressed with Savage's accuracy while getting hit. The first video (I think) illustrates as much, so I have to imagine that's what he meant to say there.

DocBar
05-13-2014, 04:48 AM
I heard him saying something similar on the radio, "under duress" was part of the on air comment. He was impressed with Savage's accuracy while getting hit. The first video (I think) illustrates as much, so I have to imagine that's what he meant to say there.His youtube highlight reels are inconclusive to THIS QB expert. I can't decide if he make good throws into tight windows or got lucky with a bad decision. I really don't trust his ability to read a defense ( my biggest worry).

thunderkyss
05-13-2014, 07:01 AM
His youtube highlight reels are inconclusive to THIS QB expert. I can't decide if he make good throws into tight windows or got lucky with a bad decision. I really don't trust his ability to read a defense ( my biggest worry).

I don't think any college kid comes out of the NFL knowing how to read NFL defenses as well as we like to think.

"Bridgewater can read defenses like a mutha..." well, those weren't "NFL" defenses. Just like there are college offenses & pro offenses, most college deffenses aren't "pro style" and most college defenses don't have near the talent an NFL defense has, so windows don't close as fast, you don't have to throw as high to get over the second level, & so one & so forth.

Alabama with Nick Saban runs a "pro defense" but Johnny Football tore that sht up.... not because he could read them, but because he could break it down.

Even Peyton Manning and Tom Brady had to learn to read NFL defenses.

That said... I think OB has a good way of teaching (http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/3/6/5476912/the-bill-obrien-prototype-what-houstons-new-head-honcho-expects-from) how to read defenses as it relates to his system & New England has a system that is QB friendly.

I also realize I am way to "excited" about this QB.

Lucky
05-13-2014, 07:19 AM
i am looking forward to some bombs being thrown this year in preseason.
fify

The Pencil Neck
05-13-2014, 10:31 AM
His youtube highlight reels are inconclusive to THIS QB expert. I can't decide if he make good throws into tight windows or got lucky with a bad decision. I really don't trust his ability to read a defense ( my biggest worry).

I think TK has this dead-on. No college QB really comes into the NFL knowing how to correctly read an NFL defense. They all have to learn it; some are just at a worse starting point and lack some things.

Now. Think about this.

Savage spent 1000 days NOT playing football. He went to a new school ( a couple) and was given a playbook. He learned the playbook on his own and came into practice and won the starting job. The WORST film we have on him is his first game after that break. But my point is that he taught himself that offense.

One of the things OB likes about him is that he thinks Savage is smart and "teachable." And a lot of why OB thinks that may have come from the private workouts. I've heard several guys say that both Accuracy and Reads are tied to the footwork and if you can clean up a guy's footwork and teach them how to go through their progressions and get their feet set, a lot of things smooth out.

For me, Savage's biggest problem is staring down his receivers but again, that's something that could be fixed by just teaching him how to properly go through his progressions. If he can get that... and it's a big if... he's got the physical tools to be really good.

thunderkyss
05-15-2014, 02:37 AM
Now. Think about this.

Savage spent 1000 days NOT playing football.

“If you look at the first four games, I probably threw six picks,” Savage said (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-select-QB-Tom-Savage/6fda7fe5-b03a-4198-966d-01471905ba4d). “In the last eight or nine games, I threw two or three. The game slowed down for me and I think it just came with getting out there and getting the experience. Just going out there and playing; the game will slow down for you. I am just excited to continue my progress as a quarterback and continue to learn the game.”

I still can't help but get excited about this kid. It was mentioned earlier, that Boyd was thought of as a late 1st rounder this time last year. Now, a year later he goes at the top of the sixth.

I imagine if Savage had another year to play, he would be thought have a first round grade. I think we got real lucky on this one & we have O'Brien's college experience to thank for it. Kind funny really. I thought Bortles' rating shot through the roof because of his associations with OB... he played him in 2013, he was coached by a mentor of O'Briens. who'd have thunk there was another one out there OB had his eyes on?

The Springfield, Pennsylvania native was sacked an astonishing FBS-high 43 times...

But still got better as the year progressed.

He also added three rushing scores.

Just imagine we might see our QB tucking & running to keep the chains moving in the future.

76Texan
05-15-2014, 07:19 AM
I still can't help but get excited about this kid. It was mentioned earlier, that Boyd was thought of as a late 1st rounder this time last year. Now, a year later he goes at the top of the sixth.

I imagine if Savage had another year to play, he would be thought have a first round grade. I think we got real lucky on this one & we have O'Brien's college experience to thank for it. Kind funny really. I thought Bortles' rating shot through the roof because of his associations with OB... he played him in 2013, he was coached by a mentor of O'Briens. who'd have thunk there was another one out there OB had his eyes on?

But still got better as the year progressed.

Just imagine we might see our QB tucking & running to keep the chains moving in the future.

As long as he doesn't have to face a defense like that of Fla. St., he'll be fine.

dalemurphy
05-15-2014, 07:50 AM
As long as he doesn't have to face a defense like that of Fla. St., he'll be fine.

The Florida state game is the reason for hope. Watch that game then watch him play later in the season. He improved a great deal after shaking off the rust. Nobody believes he is ready to start now, but there is reason to believe he will continue to mature as a QB.

thunderkyss
05-15-2014, 08:26 AM

You know, I really missed you leading up to the draft. We were bickering back & forth about Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, & McCarron.... okay, I was the only one talking about McCarron.

I thought you did a good job analyzing the QBs in the 2012 draft & I wanted to hear your take on this crop.

But now, seems like you don't like anyone who threatens Keenum, so I guess I can fill in the blanks. But I will say this.

I don't hate Keenum. Regardless where he plays, I'll be rooting for him to succeed just like I root for Vince, Kolb, McGee, Tanehill, Griffin, Dustin Vaughn & several other signal callers that originated in the great state of Texas. But even more so for Case since he wears Battle Red, Liberty White, & Cold Steel Blue on game day.

I'd like nothing more than for Case to lead this team to it's first Super Bowl, and several Lombardies. But I'm not going to hold my breath. But he's a grown man & a professional athlete & his future on this team has a whole lot more to do with what he does than what I say on an internet message board. So whether he's my favorite going forward, or at the bottom of my list it makes no difference.

If OB is the man we need him to be, there will be an open competition for the starting QB spot this summer & if Case is the man you think he is, he'll win the job. To tell you the truth, I think the fix is in & McNair ensured Case has the inside track to that starting job.

But if I'm wrong..... I'm wrong. I can see the good in all the QBs on our roster. I just hope OB can maximize their potential, put the best one on the field, & get this club to the Super Bowl.

76Texan
05-15-2014, 10:08 AM
You know, I really missed you leading up to the draft. We were bickering back & forth about Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, & McCarron.... okay, I was the only one talking about McCarron.

I thought you did a good job analyzing the QBs in the 2012 draft & I wanted to hear your take on this crop.

But now, seems like you don't like anyone who threatens Keenum, so I guess I can fill in the blanks. But I will say this.

I don't hate Keenum. Regardless where he plays, I'll be rooting for him to succeed just like I root for Vince, Kolb, McGee, Tanehill, Griffin, Dustin Vaughn & several other signal callers that originated in the great state of Texas. But even more so for Case since he wears Battle Red, Liberty White, & Cold Steel Blue on game day.

I'd like nothing more than for Case to lead this team to it's first Super Bowl, and several Lombardies. But I'm not going to hold my breath. But he's a grown man & a professional athlete & his future on this team has a whole lot more to do with what he does than what I say on an internet message board. So whether he's my favorite going forward, or at the bottom of my list it makes no difference.

If OB is the man we need him to be, there will be an open competition for the starting QB spot this summer & if Case is the man you think he is, he'll win the job. To tell you the truth, I think the fix is in & McNair ensured Case has the inside track to that starting job.

But if I'm wrong..... I'm wrong. I can see the good in all the QBs on our roster. I just hope OB can maximize their potential, put the best one on the field, & get this club to the Super Bowl.

I do like the potential of Savage and Bortles.
I'm good with JFF at 2.1
Savage in the fourth is great, but to me, he needs some work.

I like next year crop better.
I've watched some of them, like our draftnik do.
In fact, I've been re-watch them the last few days. :)

beerlover
05-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Jaguars may finally got their franchise QB but they over paid in the process doing it while Texans acquired Savage for fair value. Something to be said for each franchise, however Clowney is far more immediate impact & it's not out of the question Savage could develop as fast, even faster, into a franchise QB.

Thorn
05-15-2014, 11:53 AM
I want to see the Texans in a Super Bowl victory parade in downtown Houston. Who we celebrate as our winning quarterback makes no difference to me whatsoever. I would go crazy happy if it was Keenum, but even if it's Putin draped in a Soviet flag I still cheer for the winning QB no matter who he is.

Savage is like every other QB in this years draft, not a damn one of them was worth the 1.1 pick, and who you pick is a matter of fitting into the coaches system. Besides, Savage has a cool name and is big and tall and strong. For now, that's good enough for me. We all know Fitzybeard will be starting game one anyway. Who's left standing at starting QB by game 16 this year is anyone's guess.

Porky
05-15-2014, 12:05 PM

Wait, didn't you at one point say you would take AJ McCarron with the first pick in the draft? Where did he go again? And I'm now supposed to believe in your ability to assess the fate of Savage and Keenum?

Playoffs
05-15-2014, 01:24 PM
I like next year crop better.
I've watched some of them, like our draftnik do.
In fact, I've been re-watch them the last few days. :)

Give me some sleepy guys to look out for, 76T.

Connor Cook? Dax Prescott?

mattieuk
05-15-2014, 02:42 PM
I imagine if Savage had another year to play, he would be thought have a first round grade.

That is what I'm excited about with Savage. He was obviously punished for his lack of football at college in his draft positioning. There are seldom few QBs out of college who are really ready for the NFL on day one, regardless of what round they are picked in. I see this specific draft pick as similar to the Lattimore pickup last year by the 49ers - where there is a great deal of unknown (obviously differences coming off of injury vs. a low amount of college gametime/continuity) - but you can tuck them away for a year with little pressure on the player, and see if you can end up with talent in year 2 that would be worthy of a 1st/2nd rounder.

I'm really looking forward to the 2015 preseason to see exactly what we have with Savage once he's had a season of NFL coaching under OB.

He reminds me of Roethlisberger in some ways - one of which is in what I've seen in his running style. He obviously isn't going to be a guy who they're going to call plays to outsprint someone, but he has that same kind of awkward but effective mobility for a bigger framed guy that can make the first guy miss and pickup a few yards in short yardage situations especially.

That said, obviously any QB who can post a positive gain is going to look like Adrian Peterson to us after watching Schaub play for the last few years.

badboy
05-15-2014, 02:49 PM
I like his stats 2013 after basically sitting out two seasons and going thru coaching changes. Give him some consistent good coaching & he could be really good.

76Texan
05-15-2014, 03:22 PM
Give me some sleepy guys to look out for, 76T.

Connor Cook? Dax Prescott?

You're ahead of me there, PO.
I'm still busy making notes of the top ones to see what I like for them to improve on.

Those two names are good ones to watch.

Besides the more familiar names like winston, Mariota, and Hundley, I'm interested in the development of Gardner and Miller.
I think Miller is making good strides.

Then there's a bunch of guys that I want to review.
Is Petty a considerarion?
What about Driskel?
And quite a few others in the so - so class.

What's been happening to the rest of the top of the recruiting classes of 2010-2012?

Some lesser known names that caught my eyes, maybe just for a fleeting moment like Cato,
Fajardo, Kelly.

Will Nick Montana amount to any good?

Then there's a bunch of guys a year further away, but you never know when the lights might come.

Then I want to count on other draftniks (like our 3 amigos) to give me a lead on prospects from smaller schools; I've become dependent on them for that.

Sigma
05-15-2014, 03:36 PM
I want to see the Texans in a Super Bowl victory parade in downtown Houston. Who we celebrate as our winning quarterback makes no difference to me whatsoever. I would go crazy happy if it was Keenum, but even if it's Putin draped in a Soviet flag I still cheer for the winning QB no matter who he is.

Savage is like every other QB in this years draft, not a damn one of them was worth the 1.1 pick, and who you pick is a matter of fitting into the coaches system. Besides, Savage has a cool name and is big and tall and strong. For now, that's good enough for me. We all know Fitzybeard will be starting game one anyway. Who's left standing at starting QB by game 16 this year is anyone's guess.

well, putin does have more superbowl rings than keenum :)

76Texan
05-15-2014, 03:47 PM
I like his stats 2013 after basically sitting out two seasons and going thru coaching changes. Give him some consistent good coaching & he could be really good.

What I want to remind people is that Savage is not ready; I don't even think I need to add "IMO" or "IMHO".

To dalemurphy, for example, he ought to know that I take into consideration the chronological order of development of players, and also the caliber of the competition.
What kind of O-line he has (or any QB for that matter - see Bryce Petty or McCarron.)

I still remember Caldwell when we drafted him.
Many, as in "MANY" , people thought I was either "Crazy" or a relative of Myers.
I even spent the time to check out every Lineman that Caldwell faced in his last two years in college.

I also reported on the lack of caliber of receiver Kareem Jackson faced.

When I compared Keenum, I only pull out games of common opponents that he faced as other QBs that were drafted.
I even took notes of injuries that might change the make- up of the teams.

Not that I can be thorough, but I do like to compare oranges to oranges, if possible.
But I also realize that my info is far from complete, no matter how hard I try.

You guys ought to know by now that my nature is never to shot down nobody.

Playoffs
05-15-2014, 04:06 PM
What I want to remind people is that Savage is not ready...

Yep, NOT ready. ~750 college attempts and some lost time in there.

Bortles ~900

Bridgewater ~1150

Aaron Murray ~1500

Needs to redshirt.

76Texan
05-15-2014, 04:37 PM
The meat of Pitt ' schedule:

10 points scored against Ga. TECH. (Loss)

28 points scored against a heavily depleted Iris squad (watch the game; you would hear about it.) (WIN)

A 27-pt scored against UNC.
Watch this game; it's most telling.

This kind of games and the Fla. St. Game are the kind of games I watch the QB play.
The heavier the pass rush, the better for my evaluation.

76Texan
05-15-2014, 04:44 PM
And why I wasn't sold on Teddy B?
Easy, if you know where I'm coming from.
A name school doesn't necessarily give you the best challenge.
You just have to watch how they operate.
By watching a good numbers of games

... to start.

DX-TEX
05-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 29m
Texans reached agreement with fourth-round pick, former Pitt QB Tom Savage.

It begins! #SAVAGEFUTURE

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/v1/compositions/107954620/views/1,width=280,height=280,appearanceId=17.png/macho-man-tom-savage-tee_design.png

OH YEAH! SNAP INTO IT!

Playoffs
05-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Savage's High School coach: 'He was like Rocky' (http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/savages-hs-coach-he-was-rocky)
...they were losing a starter per game due to injury and were down eight starters, including three offensive lineman, heading into a game with St. Joseph’s Prep.

“He got killed,” Algeo said of the beating Savage took during that game. “I’ve never seen a kid in a high school game take a beating the way he did.”

After each hit, Savage returned to his feet, never complaining or seeking an excuse to stand behind. He also, more importantly, never said a negative word toward his offensive line.

“He showed so much grace in that game,” Agleo said. “He was like Rocky in that game.”

Savage was running the majority of the offense by his senior season and was the eighth ranked quarterback in the country. He had the arm that he’s known for now, back then.

“His senior year he made a 60-yard throw completely across the field,” Agleo said laughing. “He hits the guy in stride and he walks into the end zone. I’ve never seen a throw like that in high school.”

LikeMike
05-15-2014, 06:05 PM
What I want to remind people is that Savage is not ready; I don't even think I need to add "IMO" or "IMHO".

To dalemurphy, for example, he ought to know that I take into consideration the chronological order of development of players, and also the caliber of the competition.
What kind of O-line he has (or any QB for that matter - see Bryce Petty or McCarron.)

I still remember Caldwell when we drafted him.
Many, as in "MANY" , people thought I was either "Crazy" or a relative of Myers.
I even spent the time to check out every Lineman that Caldwell faced in his last two years in college.

I also reported on the lack of caliber of receiver Kareem Jackson faced.

When I compared Keenum, I only pull out games of common opponents that he faced as other QBs that were drafted.
I even took notes of injuries that might change the make- up of the teams.

Not that I can be thorough, but I do like to compare oranges to oranges, if possible.
But I also realize that my info is far from complete, no matter how hard I try.

You guys ought to know by now that my nature is never to shot down nobody.

I think it is clear to everyone that Savage is not ready. QBs drafted at the end of the 4th round are basically never ready. Especially if it is a QB that went almost 1000 days without playing football in between. Savage is a project - and I believe that is exactly what OB wanted.

Savage is tall, has a strong arm and throws a beautiful accurate ball. He can also move pretty good in the pocket. Those are things OB can work with. He can`t dissect defenses yet, he isn`t fast enough going through his reads and he holds on to the football a little too long. It would probably be best for him to sit for a year, hold the playbook, breath in everything around him and get better.

The thing that makes me and others feel good about this pick: the only reason he wasn`t a first round pick is, he is not ready because he missed so much football and never had time to learn a system. He is a gamble, a high risk high reward kinda guy. But we only gave up a 4th for him. If he works out, that`d be amazing. If he doesn`t, well let`s go for it again in a year or two.

Honoring Earl 34
05-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Looking for a franchise QB is like playing the lottery . The 1st round gives you more tickets and increases your odds but there are no guarantees you'll hit . Like the lottery , all it takes is one lucky pick or one ticket . :cowboy1:

BigBull
05-15-2014, 07:30 PM
Looking for a franchise QB is like playing the lottery . The 1st round gives you more tickets and increases your odds but there are no guarantees you'll hit . Like the lottery , all it takes is one lucky pick or one ticket . :cowboy1:

I couldn't agree more. I just hope Savage is that franchise QB the Texans have been looking for.

Sent from the future...

badboy
05-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Biggest concern I have on Savage is actually twofold. First I am concerned, he will be forced to start due to injury or failure of Fitz and Keenum. Second, he took a beating in high school & college and I'm concerned he does not psych out ala Schaub. The time off between college seasons had to help + he just looked mentally strong last year.

Another QB I will focus on again is Oregon's Sean Mannion. Despite going to a more balanced attack, he doubled his attempts, completions and yards while maintaining his avg. His accuracy improved only to 66% and really needs to improve on that. TDs 37 to 15 INTs needs to be better also. Arm strength turned me off last year & he was smart to accept the 3rd round eval he received & return to school despite having his degree.

thunderkyss
05-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Jaguars may finally got their franchise QB but they over paid in the process doing it while Texans acquired Savage for fair value. Something to be said for each franchise, however Clowney is far more immediate impact & it's not out of the question Savage could develop as fast, even faster, into a franchise QB.

I originally thought the same thing.

Then I got to thinking, if you factor in what they've done this offseason... I mean, really... they may not be half bad this year.

Grade: A

Best addition: Chris Clemons, DE
Biggest (likely) loss: Maurice Jones-Drew, RB

Yes, the Jaguars might miss MJD and they’re clearly still closer to being a 5-11 team than an 11-5 bunch. There is really no disputing, however, that this team both has improved its talent level and found a way to better fit Gus Bradley’s mold over the past month. Clemons and fellow defensive linemen Red Bryant both know Bradley’s system (they played for Bradley when he was Seattle’s D-coordinator), which should help expedite the improvement process for the entire unit. Ziggy Hood has a shot to be a steal, too.

Obviously, the missing piece in all this is at quarterback. Keeping Chad Henne at least leaves Jacksonville a serviceable option, though he’s nowhere near the answer. Whichever guy ends up under center will have help from RB Toby Gerhart and WR Tandon Doss, both underrated talents. The Jaguars overpaid for Zane Beadles … but teams that have struggled like Jacksonville sometimes must bite that bullet.

I mean they could probably be pretty good this year.

thunderkyss
05-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Wait, didn't you at one point say you would take AJ McCarron with the first pick in the draft? Where did he go again? And I'm now supposed to believe in your ability to assess the fate of Savage and Keenum?

I said that knowing full well he would most likely go as late as he was being projected. The book isn't closed on Aj McCarron. Get back with me in three years.

& you don't have to believe in my ability to assess anything, that was not at all what that post was about.

My opinion is slanted heavily towards anyone in a Texans Uniform. I can btch & moan about the worst that can happen, but I don't find any enjoyment in that. I'd rather stick my head in the sand, cross my fingers, & hope for the best.

It sucks when you end up 2-14, but it pays off when you're chearing your ass off in the stadium for a home play off game... which I've been lucky enough to experience twice in the last three years & hope to do at the end of the 2014 season.

ObsiWan
05-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Nope, not by a long shot.
Watched the FSU, NC, ND, and UofM games. I saw little to like.
Maybe O'Brien can make a silk purse out of this sow's ear.
We'll see.

steelbtexan
05-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Nope, not by a long shot.
Watched the FSU, NC, ND, and UofM games. I saw little to like.
Maybe O'Brien can make a silk purse out of this sow's ear.
We'll see.

Pennsylvania is the breeding ground for great QB's (Namath/Montana/Marino/Kelly etc...) lets hope Savage can join this group.

thunderkyss
05-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Biggest concern I have on Savage is actually twofold. First I am concerned, he will be forced to start due to injury or failure of Fitz and Keenum. Second, he took a beating in high school & college and I'm concerned he does not psych out ala Schaub. The time off between college seasons had to help + he just looked mentally strong last year.

The only way I see him starting is if the season is already lost. In the AFC, that means that 8-8 is no longer mathematically possible. Then it's up to OB to protect him.

Football players learn by playing football. His biggest problem is that he hasn't played a lot of football in the last three years. Can't fix that on the bench.

Edit: on the protection front. I believe (hope, fingers crossed) we're going to see a focus on protecting the QB. Teaching the OL to do their job better than the defense is doing their job. Which has not been a focus in Houston, ever. Schaub was taught to get rid of the ball on time, in rhythm. All QBs need to learn that, but all offensive lines need to learn how to defend a pocket.

ObsiWan
05-15-2014, 11:59 PM
Pennsylvania is the breeding ground for great QB's (Namath/Montana/Marino/Kelly etc...) lets hope Savage can join this group.
yes, let's hope....

what is Corrosion tag line...
Oh yeah, "Hope is a poor man's disease."

call me poor, cause I'm hoping too.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
05-16-2014, 12:02 AM
yes, let's hope....

what is Corrosion tag line...
Oh yeah, "Hope is a poor man's disease."

call me poor, cause I'm hoping too.

Schaub came from here as well

BullNation4Life
05-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Schaub came from here as well

Pennsylvania would like to forget that....kinda like aliens, ghosts or Star Wars movies 1, 2 & 3

They don't exist....it never happened...

beerlover
05-16-2014, 11:48 PM
disclaimer: tired as hell

just watched Pitt vs ND tape from last year & have to say Tom reminds me a little of Joe Montana. Early developmental years. Better velocity than he appears, pure pocket passer but has presence in the pocket flashing ability to move & extend plays. Joe was something like 6-2 205 coming out of College while Tom is listed 6-4 228 (does not look it). Joe was taken in 3rd Tom in 4th. OB is a huge plus for putting him on a fast track. Too early but does posses makings of a franchise QB.

thunderkyss
05-17-2014, 11:31 PM
I found this blog (http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2014/05/houston_texans_the_truth_on_to.php?page=2), which provides a "mathematical" argument as to why Tom Savage won't be any good.

And history has not been kind at all to fourth rounders (Savage's round). Below are all of the quarterbacks chosen in the fourth round since 2001, along with their records as starters and statistical performance. Please note that all of these quarterbacks were taken prior to the 135th pick (Savage's slot):

TOTALS: 367 games played, 217 starts (92-125), 4363-7362, 48561 yds, 271 TD/217 INT
WIN %: .424 win percentage (6.78 wins per season)
TOTAL QB RATING: 78.94

Fairly hideous.

In fact, of the 12 quarterbacks chosen in the fourth round, the closest thing to full-time starters that were developed were David Garrard and Kyle Orton. That's your gold standard. Fool's gold, indeed.

Fairly logical argument.... right?

So I was wondering if you took those stats from all the QBs drafted in the first round, how would they compare? I'm too lazy to compile the stats myself, but I was hoping one of you stat junkies wouldn't mind lending a hand. I did get a list of all the 1st rounders though....

2001: Michael Vick
2002: David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey
2003: Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Bollar, Rex Grossman
2004: Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, J.P. Losman (Shaub was taken in the 3rd round of this draft, Luke McCown in the 4th)
2005: Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell (Matt Cassell & Ryan Fitzpatrick were taken in the 7th round of this draft)
2006: Vince Young, Matt Lienart, Jay Cutler
2007: Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quin
2008: Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco
2009: Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman
2010: Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow
2011: Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbart, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder
2012: Andrew Luck, RG3, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden
2013: Ej Manuel

Lot of 1st round QBs taken since 2001. That's going to be a whole lot of work. Thank you in advance.

aussie_texan
05-17-2014, 11:34 PM
I found this blog (http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2014/05/houston_texans_the_truth_on_to.php?page=2), which provides a "mathematical" argument as to why Tom Savage won't be any good.

So I was wondering if you took those stats from all the QBs drafted in the first round, how would they compare? I'm too lazy to compile the stats myself, but I was hoping one of you stat junkies wouldn't mind lending a hand. I did get a list of all the 1st rounders though....

2004: Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, J.P. Losman (Shaub was taken in the 3rd round of this draft, Luke McCown in the 4th)
2005: Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell (Matt Cassell & Ryan Fitzpatrick were taken in the 7th round of this draft)

Lot of 1st round QBs taken since 2001. That's going to be a whole lot of work. Thank you in advance.

http://cdn2.business2community.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/31395483.jpg

:kitten: :toast2:

The Pencil Neck
05-18-2014, 12:44 AM

I've just started. I forgot to get the years vs. starts vs. games played info. smh.

But basically, an average 1st round QB gives you:

* A 51% win percentage
* A 59.7% completion percentage
* 13500 yards
* 81 TDs
* 57 INTs

That's basically Josh Freeman's career so far with a slightly better completion percentage.

thunderkyss
05-18-2014, 01:13 AM
And history has not been kind at all to fourth rounders (Savage's round).
WIN %: .424 win percentage (6.78 wins per season)
TOTAL QB RATING: 78.94

But basically, an average 1st round QB gives you:

* A 51% win percentage

So a first rounder, on average, would give you 2 additional wins??

:jogger:

The Pencil Neck
05-18-2014, 03:26 AM
So a first rounder, on average, would give you 2 additional wins??

:jogger:

Well, no.

51% of a 16 game season is 8.16 wins. 6.78 is damned close to 7 and when you don't round the numbers, you end up with a massive 1.38 win difference.

CloakNNNdagger
05-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Well, no.

51% of a 16 game season is 8.16 wins. 6.78 is damned close to 7 and when you don't round the numbers, you end up with a massive 1.38 win difference.

We went through a similar exercise when evaluating Keenum's first year. Where these players ultimately end up tends to be directly influenced/determined by how much persistence in time and effort along with patience an organization is willing to invest in a player to see him through the sometimes painful but necessary developmental phase.

drs23
05-18-2014, 12:21 PM

TK, I'm not crunching meaningless numbers either. You can look at Warner/Romo (UDFAs), Brady a sixth to Ryan Lief and everywhere in between. It will come down to the individual, his learning capacity and work effort along with being able to absorb excellent coaching which will be right there.

It will be what it will be and is as unpredictable as SE Texas weather.

All we can do is wait and see. And hope.

Playoffs
05-20-2014, 11:34 AM
One-on-one instruction benefits Texans rookie QB Savage (http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/One-on-one-instruction-benefits-Texans-rookie-QB-5488137.php)
"You really do start from square one," Godsey said. "You assume (Savage) knows nothing. It's almost like you're a foreign language teacher. This is a brand-new system for him. The vernacular is different, and the way we call certain things, the terms we use, may be totally different. It's difficult for any of these (rookies), but it's especially true for a quarterback because he needs to learn all 22 positions on the field."
"It's a brand-new environment," Godsey said. "He's got to get comfortable with a lot of things … like new shoes … who his teammates are … the wind … how we practice. Football players learn from their mistakes. He needed all the reps he got. A rookie is always playing catch-up."
Of Tom Savage's performance in rookie minicamp, quarterbacks coach George Godsey said, "I think he's taken to what we've given him."
"You don't want to overwhelm him with so many things he can't focus on one thing," Godsey said. "We worked on technique in a certain periods, reads in another. We try to hit all the main points. And I think he's taken to what we've given him. He's gone out there and executed the plays. There haven't been too many re-dos. There's things he can get better at, but I will say he's putting a lot of time into it, and I appreciate him doing that.

"Tom himself will determine how long it takes him to catch up (to the other quarterbacks). There are only so many hours in the day, but you've got to put in the time, and he seems willing to do that. Every quarterback that's here right now is going against himself, trying to absorb as much information as possible and doing the best they can do. It's really not a looking-over-the-shoulder kind of deal for any of them."

kiwitexansfan
05-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Listening to John Harris on HT.com sounds like he thinks Savage is projected to start ASAP.

ASAP being dependent on how well he learns the playbook.