PDA

View Full Version : Selection 1.1: JaDeveon Clowney DE-OLB

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

dalemurphy
06-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Who cares the right thing to do was taking Clowney .

Time will tell. You can't know that anymore than Lord Bills knows that Bortles should have been the pick. Regardless, all organizations miss on some big decisions. I won't spend too much time obsessing over a single pick if they are building a great team with the rest of the draft.

CloakNNNdagger
06-22-2014, 03:46 PM
lol wut?

did manziel, bortles, bridgewater become busts already?

i love how players who have yet to play a single down is a bust in order to rationalize certain agendas.

like i said before, you only need one of those qbs to become good to great and for clowney to become average or below for it to be a failed pick.

what do you think has a higher chance of happening?

one of those early round qbs being good to great and clowney not living up to his #1 pick status or all first round qbs being total busts and clowney becoming a productive star?

Seeing that I never saw any reason to believe any of the other 3 would translate to the NFL as anything but mediocre or bust, long-term I will put my money on Clowney coming out on top of this group pending his pre-existing injuries (sports hernia/bone spurs[any hip mechanics/damage if present and not able to be corrected with bone spur surgery]) are properly surgically addressed and given unhurried time for rehab.

Wolf
06-22-2014, 03:59 PM
cloak isn't one to sugar coat anything when he is talking about injuries

DBCooper
06-22-2014, 04:23 PM
ok.

thread subscribed.

there are gonna be some threads coming back to life real soon i reckon.

the man has yet to play a single down in the nfl and he's already having surgery.

smdh.

come on man.

Better be careful, all that head shaking looks to be rattling some loose and falling out.

Seegara
06-22-2014, 07:12 PM
Seeing that I never saw any reason to believe any of the other 3 would translate to the NFL as anything but mediocre or bust, long-term I will put my money on Clowney coming out on top of this group pending his pre-existing injuries (sports hernia/bone spurs[any hip mechanics/damage if present and not able to be corrected with bone spur surgery]) are properly surgically addressed and given unhurried time for rehab.
Those 3 QB's may not develop into star players, but what about Greg Robinson? As bad as the Texans needed a right tackle, selecting Clown will turn out to be the greatest faux pas in NFL history.

Honoring Earl 34
06-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Those 3 QB's may not develop into star players, but what about Greg Robinson? As bad as the Texans needed a right tackle, selecting Clown will turn out to be the greatest faux pas in NFL history.

Robinson is struggling at LG so he's a bust .

CloakNNNdagger
06-22-2014, 07:48 PM

He's not just struggling.........it's MUCH MUCH WORSE.........he's downright STUGGLING!

Greg Robinson stuggles with NFL transition (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/22/greg-robinson-stuggles-with-nfl-transition/)

Posted by Mike Florio on June 22, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT

When the Rams made Greg Robinson the second overall pick in the draft, it was assumed he’d play left tackle. Only days later, G.M. Les Snead explained that Robinson may play guard.

Since then, it’s become more clear that Robinson will indeed play guard as a rookie. It’s also becoming clear that he’s having a hard time with the transition.

“It’s frustrating that I’m not up to pace right now because the playbook is more intense and things are changing but once I get back to where I’m comfortable, things will calm down and I can be myself out there,” Robinson said recently, via Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com. “I didn’t know what to expect, honestly. I put a lot of pressure on myself because I like to challenge myself. It’s something I want to do and just stand out to the coaches and let them be comfortable with their choice.”

While tackle is regarded as the more difficult position, Robinson is learning that guard has its own challenges.

“It’s just everything happens faster inside,” Robinson said. “Outside you have a little more time to kick. The guys are faster but these guys are just quick and trained to rush the passer. It’s just about keeping my feet working and knowing when to pull. Right now it’s a lot of thinking going on, it causes me to move a little slower. Once I get up to speed, I can move with the snap count and stuff like that.”

Robinson’s struggles aren’t a complete surprise to league insiders who had their doubts about Robinson’s ability to be dominant at the next level. Robinson’s reference to the intensity of the playbook won’t surprise skeptics, either, given that Robinson dealt with a limited range of plays and protections at Auburn. It makes the Rams’ risk even bigger, especially since they’ve moved Robinson to a position that typically doesn’t demand a top-five draft pedigree.

Honoring Earl 34
06-22-2014, 07:58 PM
He's not just struggling.........it's MUCH MUCH WORSE.........he's downright STUGGLING!

Hmmm struggles and juggling = stugglling .

Playoffs
06-22-2014, 08:10 PM
C'mon, GRob will be fine. Just needs to be coached up & a little time.

Honoring Earl 34
06-22-2014, 08:18 PM

You're not going to write him off ?

This cat has control of the huddle and I'm envious .

http://barstoolu.barstoolsports.com/files/2014/05/Screen-Shot-2014-05-27-at-11.55.18-AM.png

IDEXAN
06-22-2014, 09:53 PM
I don't care what others might say about this, there's something wrong with the Rams decision to draft Robinson if they use the #2 overall pick in this Draft to play inside at guard. If it's because he's unable to play tackle or they intended all along to play him inside, they've made a big mistake IMO.

Texian
06-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Robinson will be in the league a dozen years and half of them will be in the Pro Bowl. The 2nd coming of Rams Orlando Pace.

xtruroyaltyx
06-22-2014, 10:24 PM
I don't care what others might say about this, there's something wrong with the Rams decision to draft Robinson if they use the #2 overall pick in this Draft to play inside at guard. If it's because he's unable to play tackle or they intended all along to play him inside, they've made a big mistake IMO.

I agree.

Unless he turns into a monster.

I wouldn't have liked that pick though.

Marshall
06-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Robinson will be in the league a dozen years and half of them will be in the Pro Bowl. The 2nd coming of Rams Orlando Pace.

One in ten "players of a generation" come close to their hype. Perhaps he will or perhaps he doesn't. No one knows for sure. But len Bias was supposed to be a great talent and died tragically as some number of athletes do each year because they have not matured before being influenced by idiots who encourage them to indulge in self destructive behavior.

So there is no way of knowing that someone will or will not even be playing in a year, much less a career.

dc_txtech
06-23-2014, 12:06 AM

At this point he sounds a lot more like the 2nd coming of Robert Gallery.

badboy
06-23-2014, 12:11 AM
maybe we can trade AJ for him?

mussop
06-23-2014, 07:29 AM
At this point he sounds a lot more like the 2nd coming of Robert Gallery.

Why is that?

CloakNNNdagger
06-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Double post.

CloakNNNdagger
06-23-2014, 07:35 AM

He may not end up being great (of course, it wouldn't surprise me if he did), but this is way too early to be worried about him not becoming a perennial solid player. Starting him off at guard gives him a chance to get his feet wet and get used to the speed of the NFL game.

And remember, HE is the one being critical of himself. You aren't hearing criticism from the coaching staff. He's already been told that he will also get some reps in TC at OT. At this point in time, the Rams may feel that putting him at LG this year serves as good transition and meanwhile allows them to field all of their best players together at the same time.

Honoring Earl 34
06-23-2014, 08:59 AM

So it's

Robinson = Pace
Bortles = Elway
Clowney = Bruce

beerlover
06-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Means instead of drafting #1 OG Texans wound up with #2 OG prospect 4 heck of a lot less money, so hopefully, Rick can extend Watt to charge NRG.

HOU-TEX
06-23-2014, 09:06 AM
So it's

Robinson = Pace
Bortles = Elway
Clowney = Bruce

Nah, Bortles is balding, so he'll be a bust. :rolleyes:

Honoring Earl 34
06-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Nah, Bortles is balding, so he'll be a bust. :rolleyes:

Clowney has lots of hair ... HOF .

HOU-TEX
06-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Clowney has lots of hair ... HOF .

Yup, obviously the right pick. Well, until we see his wardrobe....

DBCooper
06-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Yup, obviously the right pick. Well, until we see his wardrobe....

No, had to be a mediocre QB or nothing.

TheIronDuke
06-23-2014, 10:17 AM
I wonder if the Texans knew that AJ was going to pull this stunt that if they'd have considered Watkins at #1.

Texian
06-23-2014, 10:21 AM
I wonder if the Texans knew that AJ was going to pull this stunt that if they'd have considered Watkins at #1.

AJ voiced his displeasure before the draft. The Texans knew! What is becoming clear is the executive floor at Reliant is absent of clear and logical thinking.

Seegara
06-23-2014, 10:31 AM
AJ voiced his displeasure before the draft. The Texans knew! What is becoming clear is the executive floor at Reliant is absent of clear and logical thinking.
^They dang sure must be, if AJ said that and they chose to ignore it. AJ doesn't run his mouth very much, and like most people who don't run their mouths very much, he means what he says.

Honoring Earl 34
06-23-2014, 10:37 AM

or they had Clowney ranked higher and why didn't they draft one later ?

IDEXAN
06-23-2014, 10:54 AM
^They dang sure must be, if AJ said that and they chose to ignore it. AJ doesn't run his mouth very much, and like most people who don't run their mouths very much, he means what he says.
Their strategy apparently includes a decision to ignore Andre Johnson which I totally concur with because he's a part of the past not the future of this franchise and besides OB has the luxury of what amounts to a mulligan for the 2014 season.

DX-TEX
06-23-2014, 10:58 AM

Yeah lets be just like the national media and just say after Dre the Texans WR corp is a giant, lack of any skills black hole. Never mind we used a first round pick last season on a WR who had better stats than Watkins and played on the same college team......

ObsiWan
06-23-2014, 11:24 AM
Now, now... we should have learned from the Duane Brown or Kareem Jackson experiences that you really don't know if a draft pick will pay off for two or three years.

and here you guys are declaring "busts" before training camp hitting starts...

Srsly?

Texian
06-23-2014, 11:28 AM
or they had Clowney ranked higher and why didn't they draft one later ?

as much as you hang on every word of each of my posts, I am surprised you missed where I said they should've drafted Donte Moncrief in RD 3. You usually do a much better of keeping up but it's Monday so you're forgiven.

Texian
06-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Now, now... we should have learned from the Duane Brown or Kareem Jackson experiences that you really don't know if a draft pick will pay off for two or three years.

and here you guys are declaring "busts" before training camp hitting starts...

Srsly?

msr

Rams putting him at LG to get him on the field. He's not replacing Jake Long as a rookie.

xtruroyaltyx
06-23-2014, 11:40 AM
That was sarcasm.

Honoring Earl 34
06-23-2014, 12:44 PM
as much as you hang on every word of each of my posts, I am surprised you missed where I said they should've drafted Donte Moncrief in RD 3. You usually do a much better of keeping up but it's Monday so you're forgiven.

No , why didn't the Texans draft one in the later rounds if the need was so dire ?

Texian
06-23-2014, 12:50 PM
No , why didn't the Texans draft one in the later rounds if the need was so dire ?

That's a very good question, why didn't they? Replacing a HOF WR who is at an age when skills begin to show NOTICEABLE decline should be a HIGH PRIORITY!

xtruroyaltyx
06-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Just because you have Andre doesn't mean you have to look to replace him with another top flight WR.

Teams are built differently.

Also, you only have so many draft picks. You can't fill every hole. No team ever does. What you do is assemble the best roster possible and whatever weaknesses you have you coach around them or hope that they aren't so weak that it costs you.

Texian
06-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Just because you have Andre doesn't mean you have to look to replace him with another top flight WR.

Teams are built differently.

Also, you only have so many draft picks. You can't fill every hole. No team ever does. What you do is assemble the best roster possible and whatever weaknesses you have you coach around them or hope that they aren't so weak that it costs you.

I see you looking for an argument for the sake of having an arument but I'm not going to bite. Let me just say that a team without playmakers is not much of a team. Imagine if you will the Texans the last decade without their own true playmaker, Andre Johnson and I'm just going to leave it at that.

Trap_Star
06-23-2014, 02:44 PM
I see you looking for an argument for the sake of having an arument but I'm not going to bite. Let me just say that a team without playmakers is not much of a team. Imagine if you will the Texans the last decade without their own true playmaker, Andre Johnson and I'm just going to leave it at that.

McFly, how many games did AJ play in 2011 and how did the Texans do that year?

xtruroyaltyx
06-23-2014, 02:50 PM

You should expand your thinking.

Vance87
06-23-2014, 02:56 PM
McFly, how many games did AJ play in 2011 and how did the Texans do that year?

It's like he forgot we went 2-14 last year with a megastar on offense AND defense.

badboy
06-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Yeah lets be just like the national media and just say after Dre the Texans WR corp is a giant, lack of any skills black hole. Never mind we used a first round pick last season on a WR who had better stats than Watkins and played on the same college team......

Watkins 2011: 13 g 1219 yds 14.9 12 TDs
Hopkins 2011: 978 13.6 5

Watkins 2012: 10 games 708 yds 12.42 3 TDs
Hopkins 2012: 12 games 1405 17.13 18 TDs

Watkins 2013: 13 games 1464 14.5 12 TDs
Hopkins 2013 drafted

*Watkins suspended 2012 two games for having Mj and 2 pills and missed another with stomach virus and played one series in bowl game ankle injury. Hopkins was go to WR. I think it would be interesting if Watkins was to play opposite Hopkins. Sammy heavier but faster.

Playoffs
06-23-2014, 03:25 PM
I wonder if the Texans knew that AJ was going to pull this stunt that if they'd have considered Watkins at #1.They knew about AJ but Watkins wasn't in our sights. This offense runs through TEs, Slot WRs, RBs --go back at look at NE skill production -- performance based fantasy scoring over the years gives a decent idea. Reallocation of our resources in progress.

Means instead of drafting #1 OG Texans wound up with #2 OG prospect 4 heck of a lot less money, so hopefully, Rick can extend Watt to charge NRG.Yep, X wasn't "supposed" to be there.

ObsiWan
06-23-2014, 07:40 PM
It's like he forgot we went 2-14 last year with a megastar on offense AND defense.
so what you're saying is that there ISN'T any magic formula.
it's all luck.
:D

Vance87
06-23-2014, 07:46 PM
so what you're saying is that there ISN'T any magic formula.
it's all luck.
:D

Was that what I was saying? LOL

Playoffs
06-23-2014, 08:01 PM
it's all luck. :D
We try not to use that particular term here in the AFC South. :fingergun:

Playoffs
06-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Report: Clowney had sports hernia last year (http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/report-clowney-had-sports-hernia-last-year)

Aditi Kinkhabwala ‏@AKinkhabwala
Jadeveon Clowney told @Gil_Brandt he played w/ the sports hernia all last year. And that the surgery for it was his first ever operation.

Local media (some) is all in a tizzy over this because they say JD didn't tell them the truth in interviews. "He misrepresented himself to us!!! :overreact:

EllisUnit
06-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Report: Clowney had sports hernia last year (http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/report-clowney-had-sports-hernia-last-year)

Local media (some) is all in a tizzy over this because they say JD didn't tell them the truth in interviews. "He misrepresented himself to us!!! :overreact:

Well duh he wanted to be the #1 pick......:kitten:

badboy
06-26-2014, 06:02 PM

Evidently Mr. Reed did same thing and an S. Storm broke out. Why not the same for the Clown?

drs23
06-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Evidently Mr. Reed did same thing and an S. Storm broke out. Why not the same for the Clown?

Hide-N-Watch...:kitten:

Specifically if he doesn't outperform my Man K. Mack. The Raider.

Playoffs
06-26-2014, 06:28 PM

Reed wasn't checked out by 100 doctors at the NFL Combine like Clowney was. And they disclosed a groin issue at his Pro Day.

Dr. CND has maintained this was a long standing issue. Some are saying you can think it's just a lingering groin tweak... I dunno, I'm not a high level athlete... I don't think I'd gloss over any pain down there. http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee379/gizmobrown/pacalo_smilies/smiley_embarrassed1-1.gif

badboy
06-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Reed wasn't checked out by 100 doctors at the NFL Combine like Clowney was. And they disclosed a groin issue at his Pro Day.

Dr. CND has maintained this was a long standing issue. Some are saying you can think it's just a lingering groin tweak... I dunno, I'm not a high level athlete... I don't think I'd gloss over any pain down there. http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee379/gizmobrown/pacalo_smilies/smiley_embarrassed1-1.gif100 doctors missed? Easily can believe Texans did but not combine, I think Texans wanted him anyways. If so just say so it's your dough.

phantom17
06-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Good! Take care of this issue, so he can terrorize opposing teams!:koolaid:

IDEXAN
06-26-2014, 10:32 PM

Dr. CND has maintained this was a long standing issue. Some are saying you can think it's just a lingering groin tweak... I dunno, I'm not a high level athlete... I don't think I'd gloss over any pain down there. http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee379/gizmobrown/pacalo_smilies/smiley_embarrassed1-1.gif
I remember the talk of Clowney pulling a groin during or around the period of his Pro Day, so that condition was known to the public in general.
But groin pulls are fairly routine sort of things to athletes, personally I had two way back in the day, one from football and one from track. They require rest, gotta stay off of them, that's the only way to recover from them.

badboy
06-26-2014, 10:55 PM
I remember the talk of Clowney pulling a groin during or around the period of his Pro Day, so that condition was known to the public in general.
But groin pulls are fairly routine sort of things to athletes, personally I had two way back in the day, one from football and one from track. They require rest, gotta stay off of them, that's the only way to recover from them.

how do you know it was a pull and not tear?

beerlover
06-27-2014, 01:27 AM

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that Clowney spoke to Gil Brandt of NFL.com at the Rookie Symposium on Thursday and told Brandt that he played through a sports hernia at South Carolina last season. McClain also reports that Clowney’s agent Bus Cook called it a groin injury that caused Clowney to think about sitting out the pro day workout.

If it was a complete tear I doubt he would have played at all, hurts just to think about it :splits:

CloakNNNdagger
06-27-2014, 06:23 AM

As a quick review, "pull" is still another name for a type of "tear"......musculotendinous tears are classified as to "Grade." In lay terms, Grade I consists of mostly multiple micro tears, Grade II of true partial tears, and Grade III complete tears. Sports hernias are partial or complete tears of the oblique muscles or disruptions of the attachments of tendons or muscles to the pubic bone or inguinal (groin crease) ligament.

revan
06-27-2014, 06:33 AM
Lol gotta love the offseason.

b0ng
06-27-2014, 08:18 AM
I would rep you CnD but, that post made my balls hurt. I can't rep that.

tedr
06-27-2014, 09:14 AM
I assume that even if he misses the beginning of training camp, he'll be all right for the regular season?

Personally, I'm glad he's taking care of this now. I'd rather him miss some training camp/preseason time than later on. I'm assuming, if it's true that he played through this last year, that this might be a reason for what some considered a subpar year from him in 2013?

IDEXAN
06-27-2014, 12:10 PM
If it was a complete tear I doubt he would have played at all, hurts just to think about it :splits:
It's difficult to play with a garden variety pull, they are very painful, atleast they were for me. But as CND says, a pull is also a tear though there's varying degrees.

False Start
06-27-2014, 01:11 PM
I think he'll be ready for the regular season, but this sucks. As someone said, better to take care of it now, than wait. I would like to see him get some playing time in preseason.

The Pencil Neck
06-27-2014, 01:14 PM
I think he'll be ready for the regular season, but this sucks. As someone said, better to take care of it now, than wait. I would like to see him get some playing time in preseason.

Does anyone remember Cushing's hamstring in TC his rookie year? He was held out of most of training camp (iirc) and everyone was worried about him going into the season.

And then he crushed it.

At this point, I'm not worried about Clowney.

xtruroyaltyx
06-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Does anyone remember Cushing's hamstring in TC his rookie year? He was held out of most of training camp (iirc) and everyone was worried about him going into the season.

And then he crushed it.

At this point, I'm not worried about Clowney.

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't...I'm not worried about clowney either, tbh...

BUT just because Cushing did it doesn't give me reason to believe Clowney will...

And Cushing was likely on some type of illegal performance enhancer at the time.

The Pencil Neck
06-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't...I'm not worried about clowney either, tbh...

That's all I'm saying.

BUT just because Cushing did it doesn't give me reason to believe Clowney will...

And Cushing was likely on some type of illegal performance enhancer at the time.

Personally, I'm of the belief that close to 100% of all professional athletes are taking some type of performance enhancer, many of which are of questionable legality. So I'm not worried if Cushing was doing something at the time.

Lambert
06-27-2014, 05:39 PM
That's all I'm saying.

Personally, I'm of the belief that close to 100% of all professional athletes are taking some type of performance enhancer, many of which are of questionable legality. So I'm not worried if Cushing was doing something at the time.

If you mean creatine, advil, caffine, multi vitimins, gatoraide, etc. you are correct. Weight lifting is an artifical performance enhancer.

Indeed, in the past, professional athletes may have indulged in steroids, etc., but nowadays it is extremely rare. There is constant random testing---in season and off. The penalties are draconian.

The only scenario where I could understand a pro-player taking illegal PED's is where he (she) knows he will be cut if he doesn't vastly improve his performance. Then he might risk the drugs cause if they catch him he'll be suspended or waived, but that's what was going to happen anyway if he didn't turn it around.

Other than those cases, I don't think either college or professional athletes take illegal PEDs.

The Pencil Neck
06-27-2014, 07:35 PM
If you mean creatine, advil, caffine, multi vitimins, gatoraide, etc. you are correct. Weight lifting is an artifical performance enhancer.

Indeed, in the past, professional athletes may have indulged in steroids, etc., but nowadays it is extremely rare. There is constant random testing---in season and off. The penalties are draconian.

The only scenario where I could understand a pro-player taking illegal PED's is where he (she) knows he will be cut if he doesn't vastly improve his performance. Then he might risk the drugs cause if they catch him he'll be suspended or waived, but that's what was going to happen anyway if he didn't turn it around.

Other than those cases, I don't think either college or professional athletes take illegal PEDs.

There are a lot of performing enhancement drugs that are not "illegal" in terms of US law but will still get you suspended from your sport. In my old sport, if you drank too much coffee, you could test positive (caffeine); if you took an over-the-counter cold medicine, you could test positive. If you want to take anabolic steroids, you can totally do it and be totally legal about it and still get suspended.

Every professional athlete -- if they really want to succeed and at the professional level, that should be everyone -- should be looking at every possible way to boost their performance and gain an advantage. That includes weight training, brain training, lifestyle choices, and diet.

For athletes with as much money as these guys have, they should exploring every avenue to boost their performance and that means exploring drugs and compounds that border on legality, drugs and compounds that can't be tested for, and methods to take drugs so that they won't show up on tests.

I imagine, and I could be wrong about this, but there should be designer versions of many of these drugs that don't show up on tests but give benefits. I imagine, and I could be wrong about this, that athletes are on protocols of compounds that the lay public hasn't heard of, yet, and that the NFL doesn't even know it needs to test for, yet. When testing for anabolics, they don't test for the drug itself, or even for having unusually high levels of testosterone, they test for its effect on the testosterone/epi-testosterone ratio and one of the things BALCO was doing was giving people a combination of drugs that maintained the test/epitest ratio so it didn't test positive.

For me, the concept of "performance enhancing drug" is problematic because there are some drugs that should be considered performance enhancing that are allowed... painkillers. And those are allowed in a lot of cases. If the NFL wants these guys to go out there without being chemically supported, then they shouldn't allow guys to get painkillers (or any other kind of injection) on the sidelines or in the locker rooms.

nut
06-28-2014, 08:53 PM
to the guys saying we should have replaced Andre with the 1st pick, who do we have that could throw to him?

badboy
06-28-2014, 10:06 PM
to the guys saying we should have replaced Andre with the 1st pick, who do we have that could throw to him?uh..the same guys we expect to throw to a possible HOF receiver?

EllisUnit
06-28-2014, 10:12 PM
to the guys saying we should have replaced Andre with the 1st pick, who do we have that could throw to him?

AJ was really productive last season, and he did not say anything about holding out until after the draft. So i doubt the staff was considering needing a replacement for AJ.

xtruroyaltyx
06-28-2014, 10:34 PM
I was never for drafting Watkins.

If we were going to target WR I much rather would have traded down and taken Evans. I like him more. And he could've been had a bit later. I think he's going to be a beast.

Could've traded down with Atl, picked up some extra picks...maybe include Yates in the deal.

But whatever. I'm happy with clowney.

MFG16
06-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Man, crazy to me that I haven't posted in a couple of years. Might as well get to my opinion now though. Didn't want JD before the draft and told my friends that I thought he had bust written all over him. From the draft until now I have somewhat changed my stance to "liking" the pick but I still have my worries about him being a bust. Of course you have no idea how much his hernia affected him last year and his drive but a switch to OLB isn't easy, especially for a rookie. I am eager to see him on the field, whenever that will be, and have faith in this new coaching staff. I have no idea if my opinion is the majority or the minority but someone will probably let me know, hopefully lol.

TexansSeminole
06-28-2014, 11:59 PM
So, this thread turned into Texian trolling everyone, like the majority of the draft section.

Good times.

Texian
06-29-2014, 10:30 AM
So, this thread turned into Texian trolling everyone, like the majority of the draft section.

Good times.

Not quite, I basically said that Clowney reminds me of Aundray Bruce and Kool Aid drinkers feeling insulted came out of the wood work. What flavor are you drinking this weekend? And when you get up each morning and bow to Kirby, in what direction are you facing?

Honoring Earl 34
06-29-2014, 10:39 AM
Not quite, I basically said that Clowney reminds me of Aundray Bruce and Kool Aid drinkers feeling insulted came out of the wood work. What flavor are you drinking this weekend? And when you get up each morning and bow to Kirby, in what direction are you facing?

They can't be kool aid drinkers strictly based on not agreeing with your opinion . You feel like a scorned lover because they didn't draft Bortles so how can you be objective .

EllisUnit
06-29-2014, 10:52 AM
They can't be kool aid drinkers strictly based on not agreeing with your opinion . You feel like a scorned lover because they didn't draft Bortles so how can you be objective .

We got the most savage QB in the draft....Bortles who :bat:

Texian
06-29-2014, 01:21 PM

I don't care if they agree with my opinion or not. One thing I can be sure of is how quickly you will respond to most of my post.

dc_txtech
06-29-2014, 04:23 PM
Why is that?

Late response but they were both 2nd overall picks that were expected to play tackle but moved to guard.

Robinson may turn out to be a good or even great player but I wouldn't be very happy if the Texans drafted an OT with the second overall pick and immediately moved them to guard.

TheIronDuke
06-29-2014, 07:14 PM

If you're talking about me, I never suggested that we should have drafted Watkins. Might want to re-read my post if I am who you're referring to. I merely asked that if the FO knew AJ would do this that if they'd had considered Watkins over Clowey.

Playoffs
07-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Insightful interview...

NFL Network: Clowney Speaks at Rookie Symposium (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/NFL-Network-Clowneys-Impact/cd1b58d1-72f2-4eb8-ab4b-2a7858bcaf9b)
Linebacker Jadeveon Clowney talked about his goals for the NFL and the expectations he has coming in as the No. 1 overall pick.

MyTicketin
07-03-2014, 10:03 AM
The Texans are currently facing several questions and criticism regarding whether they knew or should have known about Jadeveon Clowney's sports hernia. In the Texans defense, they claimed that the injury arose after the draft. Which means that, if Clowney had the hernia in 2013, they missed it during the pre-draft process.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10501644_473383496098707_3920318832819394566_n.jpg

DX-TEX
07-03-2014, 10:15 AM
So with a sports hernia he was referred as the greatest NFL prospect in the last 20 years at the combine and his pro day. How much faster would his forty time had been if he was 100%?

P.S.- that sound you hear is AFC South QBs ****ting themselves collectively

DBCooper
07-03-2014, 10:26 AM
So with a sports hernia he was referred as the greatest NFL prospect in the last 20 years at the combine and his pro day. How much faster would his forty time had been if he was 100%?

https://d16jfyletng9p5.cloudfront.net/media/2XskdWCkHzSGaifVGgg/giphy.gif

MyTicketin
07-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Athletic pubalgia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_pubalgia

infantrycak
07-03-2014, 10:46 AM

I have yet to see a single QB anywhere **** themselves over a player on the sidelines.

DX-TEX
07-03-2014, 10:53 AM
I have yet to see a single QB anywhere **** themselves over a player on the sidelines.

Why must you ruin my dreams?

Monster

steelbtexan
07-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Speaking of ****ting themselves,

It appears the Texans medical staff **** themselves once again.

Vance87
07-03-2014, 11:50 AM

OK, who died?

infantrycak
07-03-2014, 12:11 PM

Why, you knew all this stuff and were in favor of the risk. So you're bagging on them for agreeing with you.

Double Barrel
07-03-2014, 12:33 PM
AJ was really productive last season, and he did not say anything about holding out until after the draft. So i doubt the staff was considering needing a replacement for AJ.

AJ told the team before the draft in a team meeting. He did not go public with it until after the draft.

TEXANRED
07-03-2014, 01:04 PM

I think Locker might be your man for that this year. Watt coming off the edge on one side and Clowney coming free through the line. Lockers pants go from baby blue to runny brown in .02 seconds.

CloakNNNdagger
07-03-2014, 01:57 PM

https://d16jfyletng9p5.cloudfront.net/media/2XskdWCkHzSGaifVGgg/giphy.gif

This should not be surprising. An athlete dealing with a "sports hernia" (athletic pubalgia), despite experiencing its associated pain, may be very little affected running a continuous straight line. Their ability to change of direction movements, backpedaling and opening of hips to change direction, cutting sharply, and twisting intensely would be the activities significantly affected..............if you remember, Clowney did not participate in any Combine maneuvers that would likely affect his performance.

DBCooper
07-03-2014, 01:59 PM
This should not be surprising. An athlete dealing with a "sports hernia" (athletic pubalgia), despite experiencing its associated pain, may be very little affected running a continuous straight line. Their ability to change of direction movements, backpedaling and opening of hips to change direction, cutting sharply, and twisting intensely would be the activities significantly affected..............if you remember, Clowney did not participate in any Combine maneuvers that would likely affect his performance.

I understand Doc.

I just wanted to see JD beating Manziel in the 40 again.

steelbtexan
07-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Why, you knew all this stuff and were in favor of the risk. So you're bagging on them for agreeing with you.

Ummm, no

I didn't know that Clowney had a sports hernia. I did know that he had bone spurs in one of his feet and was alright with them drafting Clowney 1-1 as long as he agreed to have surgery to remove them after he signed his contract.

But you already know this and are just trying to be argumentative.

alphajoker
07-03-2014, 04:14 PM
This should not be surprising. An athlete dealing with a "sports hernia" (athletic pubalgia), despite experiencing its associated pain, may be very little affected running a continuous straight line. Their ability to change of direction movements, backpedaling and opening of hips to change direction, cutting sharply, and twisting intensely would be the activities significantly affected..............if you remember,Clowney did not participate in any Combine maneuvers that would likely affect his performance.

But he did at his pro day with RC and it didn't seem to hinder his performance.

drs23
07-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Clowney is on record earlier as saying he was going to return to SC to train between OTAs and camp. I just read on the mothership an interview dated Monday that gave me the impression he was here in town. Anyone know for sure whether he's here, or there???

CloakNNNdagger
07-09-2014, 03:40 PM
But he did at his pro day with RC and it didn't seem to hinder his performance.

You're correct. He had 2 months to rehab/rest. Pro Day may have very well set him back, for which he had another length of time for rehab/rest before joining the Texans in their workouts after the Draft.........after which a period of time the Texans saw as something that was not going to let him be without recurrent need for rehab/rest.

Hervoyel
07-09-2014, 04:01 PM
I'm fine with things as they went down. It's all done now and we can't change anything. Just get him physically right and get him on the field. Glad they went ahead and addressed it when they did.

The Pencil Neck
07-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Clowney is on record earlier as saying he was going to return to SC to train between OTAs and camp. I just read on the mothership an interview dated Monday that gave me the impression he was here in town. Anyone know for sure whether he's here, or there???

In an interview at the Rookie Symposium (a few days ago, I think), he said he was heading back to Houston as soon as it was over. I've assumed he was back in Houston since then.

xtruroyaltyx
07-09-2014, 04:19 PM
I'm fine with Clowney.

If we weren't going to draft a QB at 1.1 I would haver preferred trading down a bit and taking Mike Evans. Dre or No Dre, I thought Evans could have been a beast in this offense playing a hybrid Gronk type role in the passing game.

Would have also picked up some extra picks. Could have possible moved up into the first for TB (if they wanted to) and still picked up our other draft choices minus savage.

But like I said, I'm completely fine with Clowney and with how the draft turned out.

HOU-TEX
07-15-2014, 09:29 AM
Decent little break down by Payne

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/07/14/coaching-up-jadeveon-clowney/

Playoffs
07-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Decent little break down by Seth Payne

Seth tells it like it is, knows his stuff.

I still think JdC will shine in year 2 moreso than year 1...

But look out when he assimilates better techniques past the point of thinking... http://www.beesource.com/forums/images/smilies/lookout.gif

HOU-TEX
07-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Seth tells it like it is, knows his stuff.

I still think JdC will shine in year 2 moreso than year 1...

But look out when he assimilates better techniques past the point of thinking... http://www.beesource.com/forums/images/smilies/lookout.gif

I agree. I think he's still very raw. I'm not sure what sort of position coaching he was under in SC, but it appears very basic to say the least. I still think he can have a decent year this year if Crennel & co. utilize what he can do now.

PapaL
07-15-2014, 01:38 PM
Decent little break down by Payne

Great find. No one better to break down a player.

badboy
07-15-2014, 08:55 PM
good article but I preferred the one to the side about the bikini from 1950s to now.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
07-15-2014, 08:55 PM
I agree. I think he's still very raw. I'm not sure what sort of position coaching he was under in SC, but it appears very basic to say the least. I still think he can have a decent year this year if Crennel & co. utilize what he can do now.

I wanna guess SC had an idea of what Clowney could do/be, but instead of taking the time to help his development, just lined him up and said have at it and do what comes natural

beerlover
07-16-2014, 08:11 PM
The OL' ball coach, ain't what he use to be. Can still recruit with best of them however. Talent pool each year @ SC deep & rich, last season was actually best finish in awhile but have had top tier players past several years always a hotbed for NFL scouts.

Vance87
07-17-2014, 03:22 AM
Is he a bust yet, or...?

Honoring Earl 34
07-17-2014, 06:48 AM
Is he a bust yet, or...?

He hasn't thrown one pass and you're already labeling him a bust . :runaway:

Playoffs
07-18-2014, 03:54 PM
Kevin Clark ‏@KevinClarkWSJ (https://twitter.com/KevinClarkWSJ)

Clowney will get to Houston tomorrow (from NY) and said he doesn't know if he'll be full-speed for camp “We’ll see, it’s up to the trainers”

Full video and blog on Clowney coming in a few hours. Comments on Spurrier, his health and the Texans' staff.

Just spoke with Jadeveon Clowney. He never considered sitting out the season. Although he joked he should have (repeat: he was joking).

Video(upcoming): Jadeveon Clowney Talks Spurrier, Health, Houston (http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2014/07/18/video-jadeveon-clowney-talks-spurrier-health-houston/?mod=ST1)

Clowney is hoping not to sit out the first part of his training camp. He had sports hernia surgery this offseason and said he doesn’t know if he will be full speed when he reports to camp. And even if he’s full-speed physically, it may take a while for the dominant, lightning-fast Clowney of his college days to return.

He has to learn the playbook first. He said the multiple plays which require players to “flip” sides of the field have been confusing. He’s learned, quickly, he said, that the NFL is not a major athletic step up in competition–it’s an intellectual one. “A lot of guys, it’s not as much athletic as it is they are just a lot smarter.”

CloakNNNdagger
07-18-2014, 05:01 PM

Video(upcoming): Jadeveon Clowney Talks Spurrier, Health, Houston (http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2014/07/18/video-jadeveon-clowney-talks-spurrier-health-houston/?mod=ST1)

He has to learn the playbook first. He said the multiple plays which require players to “flip” sides of the field have been confusing. He’s learned, quickly, he said, that the NFL is not a major athletic step up in competition–it’s an intellectual one. “A lot of guys, it’s not as much athletic as it is they are just a lot smarter.”

Clowney certainly showing important incite to the transition to the NFL.

Clowney is hoping not to sit out the first part of his training camp. He had sports hernia surgery this offseason and said he doesn’t know if he will be full speed when he reports to camp. And even if he’s full-speed physically, it may take a while for the dominant, lightning-fast Clowney of his college days to return.

Although players are typically expected to be able to return to play by anywhere from 4-8 weeks following surgery, it will inevitably take them 3-6 months to return to pre-injury performance level.

Playoffs
07-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Although players are typically expected to be able to return to play by anywhere from 4-8 weeks following surgery, it will inevitably take them 3-6 months to return to pre-injury performance level.

Safer or better in long-run to hold him out longer?

Playoffs
07-18-2014, 05:26 PM

Video: Jadeveon Clowney Talks Spurrier, Health, Houston (http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2014/07/18/video-jadeveon-clowney-talks-spurrier-health-houston/?mod=ST1)

Video is now up, fwiw.

EllisUnit
07-18-2014, 06:23 PM
i am enjoying all the great insight in the comment section of the video ;)

steelbtexan
07-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Clowney certainly showing important incite to the transition to the NFL.

When did he have the surgery?

The bone spurs in his foot still concern me. Valid concern?

humblegeo
07-21-2014, 05:25 PM
What a joke! Clowney's goal for the 2014 season is to sack Andrew Luck one time. I was hoping that he might set his goals a little higher than that. Like I want to get a sack or two in every game I play in. I'm already getting a bad feeling about this pick. Is he even going to be able to play in the season opener? Who knows..........

Playoffs
07-21-2014, 05:42 PM
Clowney notably not on the PUP list today.

PapaL
07-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Madden Rating:

http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/Madden_15_NFL_EA_Sports_Ratings_Jadeveon_Clowney.j pg

Thought I read it went up when he is lined up at DE.

*edit*
Madden 15' Rookie Ratings;LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24631568/madden-15-rookie-ratings-blake-bortles-tops-johnny-manziel)

DM: Yes it will, he will increase to a 92 Overall if you move him to DE (his natural position). That is NOT intentional though, if/when the Texans move him to the DE position, expect some rating adjustments to reflect his new position (which would more than likely lower him from 92). Things like Zone Coverage are factored in at OLB for OVR rating, so that is why there are two different grades.

Playoffs
07-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Deepi Sidhu @DeepSlant
Set your DVRs, ESPN2 is airing a special on Jadeveon Clowney @clownejd tonight at 6:30 pm CT. #Texans

ObsiWan
07-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Deepi Sidhu @DeepSlant
Just Clowney...?
Why?

Double Barrel
07-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Just Clowney...?
Why?

I don't get it, either. :um:

xtruroyaltyx
07-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Manziel and Clowney are wildly popular.

Just giving the masses what they want.

DocBar
07-23-2014, 08:56 AM

Just giving the masses what they want.Clowney has been a model citizen so far. I'm glad the Manziel circus is not in Houston. :barman:

ObsiWan
07-23-2014, 09:36 AM

Just giving the masses what they want.

Apparently, I'm not one of "the masses".
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/hexer.gif

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2014, 02:46 PM
Safer or better in long-run to hold him out longer?

As far as his sports hernia surgery, if everything has gone well, I would feel comfortable putting him out there at 6 weeks.

When did he have the surgery?

The bone spurs in his foot still concern me. Valid concern?

His hernia surgery was on June 12.

As far as the bone spurs. I've made my point repeatedly.......I think it has been a poor call to ignore addressing this long-standing problem, as concerns regarding compromised mechanics and potential for future injuries

Playoffs
07-23-2014, 02:49 PM
As far as his sports hernia surgery, if everything has gone well, I would feel comfortable putting him out there at 6 weeks.

Tomorrow will be 6 weeks.

Texian
07-23-2014, 02:50 PM

His hernia surgery was on June 12.

As far as the bone spurs. I've made my point repeatedly.......I think it has been a poor call to ignore addressing this long-standing problem, as concerns regarding compromised mechanics and potential for future injuries

IMO I have thought that Texans front office often lives by the band aid approach.

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Tomorrow will be 6 weeks.

Yep.

Playoffs
07-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Hopefully JD gets cleared by doctors for full go soon... http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/images/smilies/2014_whistling_and_rolling_eyes.gif

http://i58.tinypic.com/10ngoed.jpg

Vance87
07-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Just Clowney...?
Why?

Cuz he was the #1 overall pick in the draft?

bOODRO87
07-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Hopefully JD gets cleared by doctors for full go soon... http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/images/smilies/2014_whistling_and_rolling_eyes.gif

Haha, so awesome.

Playoffs
07-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Here's the YouTube video of the hit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Onp_RqveY

Looks like Yeatman/Sua-Filo we the guys blocking air.

Honoring Earl 34
07-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Here's the YouTube video of the hit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Onp_RqveY

Looks like Yeatman/Sua-Filo we the guys blocking air.

The guy with the camera is shaking like a dog pooping a peach pit .

SAMURAITEXAN
07-28-2014, 02:47 PM
Happy to see Clowney's play but, concern about OL. Like, yeahhhhh! Oh! Wait a minute!

DX-TEX
07-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Happy to see Clowney's play but, concern about OL. Like, yeahhhhh! Oh! Wait a minute!

they wont face freaks on D line like Watt and Clowney weekly

Vance87
07-28-2014, 04:32 PM

No O-line is secure 100% of the time...

DocBar
07-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Happy to see Clowney's play but, concern about OL. Like, yeahhhhh! Oh! Wait a minute!Practicing against JJ and JD will only make them better and will really highlight their strengths and weaknesses. That will help the coaching staff address their weaknesses and play to their strengths. I hope.
:koolaid:

DX-TEX
07-28-2014, 04:47 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/24-Training-Camp-Observations-Day-3/36f0dc50-8caa-44f1-974f-0ab07a340501

9.. It was the first opportunity for the Houston public to see Jadeveon Clowney up close. He didn't disappoint. On his first rep during 9-on-7, he drove TE Ryan Griffin back into the ball closing down an open hole. On the second, he ran down the RB from behind. On the third, he was so fast off the ball that he nearly created another 2013 Outback Bowl moment, although he pulled off on the hit on RB
Dennis Johnson (luckily) at the last minute. The burst off the ball is what we've all wanted to see and we didn't have to wait long to see it.

Damn

DocBar
07-28-2014, 04:54 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/24-Training-Camp-Observations-Day-3/36f0dc50-8caa-44f1-974f-0ab07a340501

DamnYeah. I'm officially hoping I have to borrow michaelm's avatar and eat crow on this pick. :d:

I might even buy his jersey and I never do that until a player has performed at a high level for at least 2 years.

Playoffs
07-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Jadeveon Clowney just the second player to ace Detroit Lions' Jim Washburn's drill
(http://www.freep.com/article/20140730/SPORTS01/307300198)
Jadeveon Clowney wowed NFL scouts when he broad jumped seven tackling bags at his South Carolina pro day in March in a drill that Detroit Lions defensive line coach Jim Washburn has been using for years to evaluate pass rushers.

Asked about that workout Tuesday, Washburn, who ran the defensive line drills at the Gamecocks’ pro day, said “a lot should be made” of Clowney’s jump, something he’s seen just one other player do in his 16 NFL seasons.

“We just lay down bags and see if they could explode, and after they could explode, land on two feet and see if they could run and bend over and gather themselves and pick up the balls,” Washburn said. “I’ve been doing this for a long time and he was really impressive.”

Clowney, who went first overall in May’s draft to the Houston Texans, jumped seven bags laying side-by-side in the middle of the field, picked up one tennis ball with his left hand a step later and another with his right hand a few yards away.

The bags, three big and four small, covered about 3 yards, and Washburn said Clowney cleared them with “6, 8 inches to spare.” The drill is designed to measure a player’s explosion.

“He’s got it,” Washburn said. “He’s got explosion plus.”

Former Tennessee Titans defensive end Jevon Kearse also could jump seven bags, and Washburn said he’s used the drill to eliminate draft prospects in the past.

“There was a guy that was drafted in the first round several years back that I went to the school and did that, he had trouble with four,” Washburn said without naming the player. “He clipped the fourth bag and I came back and said he’ll never be a pass rusher because he just doesn’t have quite enough explosion.

“I never saw vertical jump as important as that, and the guy never became a pass rusher. And not saying there’s any absolutes, but Clowney did good.”...

Texian
07-30-2014, 04:44 PM
In the FWIW department, Clowney's Combine strength and explosion measurements (bench, broad, vertical) were a combined total of 68. 2 below the magical number of 70 that indicates great strength and explosion. For comparison sake, Mario blew the doors off with a combined total of 85.

DocBar
07-30-2014, 04:56 PM
In the FWIW department, Clowney's Combine strength and explosion measurements (bench, broad, vertical) were a combined total of 68. 2 below the magical number of 70 that indicates great strength and explosion. For comparison sake, Mario blew the doors off with a combined total of 85.They still haven't found a way to measure heart, though...:cowboy1:

drs23
07-30-2014, 06:34 PM
They still haven't found a way to measure heart, though...:cowboy1:

Yeah, tell that to #99. :pirate:

Texian
07-30-2014, 07:22 PM
They still haven't found a way to measure heart, though...:cowboy1:

Mario = 85
JJ Watt = 81
Clowney = 68

DocBar
07-30-2014, 07:42 PM

Mario = 85
JJ Watt = 81
Clowney = 68Yeah...cuz everyone knew JJ Watt was the right pick in 2011. The dude got booed by Texans fans. Nice manipulation of stats, though.

Besides. it's JJ's heart that makes him so dominant. Just imagine if Mario had that much in him. :fight:

Texian
07-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Yeah...cuz everyone knew JJ Watt was the right pick in 2011. The dude got booed by Texans fans. Nice manipulation of stats, though.

Besides. it's JJ's heart that makes him so dominant. Just imagine if Mario had that much in him. :fight:

I didn't manipulate anything, I just posted actual NFL Combine results. How you decide to manipulate, explain or dismiss them is up to you. And we can clearly see you did.

Uncle Rico
07-30-2014, 08:09 PM
Instead of continuing to break down the new guy why not start to embrace him?

I'm sure after a year or two with Watt and Cushing, Clowney will be stronger since that was the one glaring weakness in his workouts.

Texian
07-30-2014, 08:45 PM

I'm sure after a year or two with Watt and Cushing, Clowney will be stronger since that was the one glaring weakness in his workouts.

In another thread you will find I was defending his spindly legs. I don't consider posting Clowney's combine results, breaking down the new guy. His numbers are what they are and they are better than most.

Honoring Earl 34
07-30-2014, 08:57 PM
Yeah...cuz everyone knew JJ Watt was the right pick in 2011. The dude got booed by Texans fans. Nice manipulation of stats, though.

I didn't manipulate anything, I just posted actual NFL Combine results. How you decide to manipulate, explain or dismiss them is up to you. And we can clearly see you did.

That 70 is for defensive lineman . JD is an OLB which means speed and agility is more important . What Mario and JJ have on JD is the bench press .

infantrycak
07-30-2014, 09:08 PM
That 70 is for defensive lineman . JD is an OLB which means speed and agility is more important . What Mario and JJ have on JD is the bench press .

The 70 is for explosiveness. They made a deal of it because DeMeco's was real high in addition to Mario.

Texecutioner
07-30-2014, 09:14 PM

I'm on board with this. Clowney was the last guy I wanted headed into the draft, but he is one our team now. It's time to hope for the best and root for him.

Honoring Earl 34
07-30-2014, 09:17 PM

The 70 is for explosiveness. They made a deal of it because DeMeco's was real high in addition to Mario.

Vernon Davis was off the chart as well .

Trap_Star
07-30-2014, 09:21 PM
So Clowney has gone from a retar... errrrrr Aundray Bruce, to now lacking athleticism?

boy, that bortles jizz must be something.

Texian
07-30-2014, 09:47 PM
Just putting it in perspective people. Folks were having multiple orgasms about jumping over 7 bags. The BIG whoop about jumping over 7 bags may be overstated. The Combine results doesn't verify it's greatness. His 37" vert and 10' broad is still above avg but jumping over bags from a standing position is basically a broad jump.

Vinny
07-30-2014, 09:53 PM
Just putting it in perspective people. Folks were having multiple orgasms about jumping over 7 bags. The BIG whoop about jumping over 7 bags may be overstated. The Combine results doesn't verify it's greatness. His 37" vert and 10' broad is still above avg but jumping over bags from a standing position is basically a broad jump.
and the broad jump is only done to gauge explosiveness...so yeah

beerlover
07-30-2014, 11:31 PM
and the broad jump is only done to gauge explosiveness...so yeah

Ouch :swatter:

beerlover
07-30-2014, 11:43 PM
My focus is & has always been the draft. Love the process, can't get enough College Football & the real beauty is projecting them into NFL, specifically Texans!

Once the draft is concluded I just file information away & move on try to make sense of why teams do what they do.

Most important for Clowney is he has a mentor in Vrabel. College film, combine, pro-days, private workouts, medical opinion it all boils down to talent meets support group. He has that with Texans & I expect him to be wildly successful & puller of strength in his community!

badboy
07-30-2014, 11:49 PM
My focus is & has always been the draft. Love the process, can't get enough College Football & the real beauty is projecting them into NFL, specifically Texans!

Once the draft is concluded I just file information away & move on try to make sense of why teams do what they do.

Most important for Clowney is he has a mentor in Vrabel. College film, combine, pro-days, private workouts, medical opinion it all boils down to talent meets support group. He has that with Texans & I expect him to be wildly successful & puller of strength in his community!I'm just not as positive about Texans' medical team.

DocBar
07-31-2014, 06:54 AM
I'm just not as positive about Texans' medical team.Good point. :rake::crutch:

IDEXAN
07-31-2014, 09:18 AM
In another thread you will find I was defending his spindly legs. I don't consider posting Clowney's combine results, breaking down the new guy. His numbers are what they are and they are better than most.
Actually that wasn't a criticism on my part but more of an observation which I made in response to another poster saying he thought Clowney was a "big dude". JD is long or lengthy, but he's not big in the sense that he's heavy or thick, certainly not his limbs.

IDEXAN
08-01-2014, 06:59 AM
"He reminds me so much of when I was with the Cowboys, there was a young player, a rookie coming in named DeMarcus Ware," Nguyen said. "This guy’s bigger, stronger, seems like faster, than DeMarcus Ware was when he came into the league. Pretty scary.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Dat-Nguyen-compares-Clowney-to-Ware/f58de4f3-164d-42b4-b994-55125b6d775b
"Bigger, stronger, seems faster, than DeMarcus Ware" ? Hey don't look at me, I didn't say. It was just some guy who played with Ware, a teammate in the NFL who said it.

Playoffs
08-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Left tackle Duane Brown gives Clowney tips on how to beat him. (http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/6649/brown-vs-clowney-helps-both-players)
"I'm learning a lot," Clowney said. "He's helped put me on moves to do on against certain guys. You just have to watch offensive linemen and know where to attack them at. I ask him every day, 'How was my pass rush today?' He says to just keep working, 'You're pretty good, you're just getting better. Just keep doing what you're doing.'"

"We are battling and I'm trying to make him as best as I can," Brown said. "And he's making me work too to get me better. So it's a great competition over there."

disaacks3
08-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Mario = 85
JJ Watt = 81
Clowney = 68

Whitney Mercilus 70.67
Trevardo Williams 78.4

xtruroyaltyx
08-01-2014, 05:35 PM
I wonder what Jared Allen scored

ObsiWan
08-01-2014, 07:02 PM
Left tackle Duane Brown gives Clowney tips on how to beat him. (http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/6649/brown-vs-clowney-helps-both-players)
Two more Texans just trying to be the best teammates they can be...
:hides:

drs23
08-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Two more Texans just trying to be the best teammates they can be...
:hides:

Obsi, you KNOW that's important!

dc_txtech
08-01-2014, 09:04 PM

Great find Playoffs, thanks for posting. MSR.

This did kind of throw me off though

Brown was a top-10 pick in 2008, one who learned from his early struggles against some of the best pass-rushers in the league.

I had no idea that Brown was a top-10 pick.

C'mon man!

:vincepalm:

Lambert
08-01-2014, 09:11 PM
In the FWIW department, Clowney's Combine strength and explosion measurements (bench, broad, vertical) were a combined total of 68. 2 below the magical number of 70 that indicates great strength and explosion. For comparison sake, Mario blew the doors off with a combined total of 85.

Just to understand, if a player gets 25 on the bench and has a vert of 30, does that mean he only has to broad jump 15 inches to make the magic number of 70? How does it work?

infantrycak
08-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Just to understand, if a player gets 25 on the bench and has a vert of 30, does that mean he only has to broad jump 15 inches to make the magic number of 70? How does it work?
Vertical is in inches. Broad is in feet.

Lambert
08-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Vertical is in inches. Broad is in feet.

Thanks, I should have figured that out. :boogie:

Lambert
08-02-2014, 01:40 AM
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Behind-the-Scenes-Clowney-in-NYC/59cb4949-38cf-4b79-847f-09cf8863d856

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BncQywAIMAAKnEM.jpg

What's up with the camera man's forearm???

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2014, 07:42 AM

From the overlying old scar, looks like an old radius bone forearm (Colle's ) fracture that was either poorly reduced or developed a large bone callus.

http://www.epainassist.com/images/Article-Images/Colles-Fracture-of-Wrist-or-Distal-Radius-Fracture2.jpg

Playoffs
08-02-2014, 09:26 AM

From the overlying old scar, looks like an old radius bone forearm (Colle's ) fracture that was either poorly reduced or developed a large bone callus.

http://www.epainassist.com/images/Article-Images/Colles-Fracture-of-Wrist-or-Distal-Radius-Fracture2.jpg

Where else could you get an answer to that except TexansTalk? :fostering:

Playoffs
08-02-2014, 12:13 PM
8/02 practice tweets on JD's "not tweaked" hip-somethingorother...

James Palmer @JPalmerCSN
Clowney still sitting on trainers table.

Jadeveon Clowney putting ice on his upper right leg by his waist. Don't want to assume specific injury. That's all we have for now.

Jadeveon Clowney sitting on trainers table with head trainer. He's upset. Grabbing right thigh and hip flexor area.

Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli
Clowney has been on the trainer's table for a few minutes. Has an ice pack on what looks like the hip flexor area. #Texans
AdamWexlerCSN @awexler

Clowney is icing down his upper right leg/hip area now

Clowney been with trainers for a bit, appear to be looking at right leg, groin, hip. Walks over to tent to get looked at more
Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
Jadeveon Clowney leaves practice field on a cart.

Jadeveon Clowney icing his upper right leg near his waist.

Texans trainers looking at Jadeveon Clowney.

IDEXAN
08-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Texans rookie Jadeveon Clowney exited practice Saturday, dealing with what appeared to be a right leg injury.

The No. 1 overall pick of the 2014 NFL draft was active from 8 a.m. until about 10, when he moved toward the trainer’s table.

Clowney lifted his right leg several times and ice was applied. He eventually left practice on a cart.

“We’re just trying to manage him,” coach Bill O’Brien said at NRG Stadium. “He’s coming off of surgery and we’re just trying to manage him. He’s out there and he wants to go every rep. And I’m sure just like all the guys, after seven practices I’m sure he’s a little sore and we’ll just continue to manage him.”

O’Brien said Clowney didn’t tweak anything, stressing the team is simply keeping the rookie defender on a “pitch count.”

The former South Carolina star underwent sports hernia surgery during offseason workouts. He’s had a strong training camp, despite being restricted during some activities.

“I go with (trainer) Geoff Kaplan on that,” O’Brien said. “We try to measure or count how many reps he has in practice. … He wants to be in every drill, so we’ll just continue to do that.”

Clowney looked sharp again Saturday before his early exit. He blocked a Shane Lechler punt and displayed the explosiveness that made him the first pick in this year’s draft
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/08/texans-jadeveon-clowney-exits-practice/#25408101=0
I dunno, what exactly are we to make of O'Brien's comments here ? It would seem that Clowney was injured but O'Brien seems to be saying otherwise ?

PapaL
08-02-2014, 02:14 PM
After seeing Paul George's leg injury last, I'm not thinking too much of this.

Playoffs
08-02-2014, 02:20 PM
I dunno, what exactly are we to make of O'Brien's comments here ? It would seem that Clowney was injured but O'Brien seems to be saying otherwise ?

The real-time, as it happened tweets tell the tale. Trainers table, icing a specific area, upset, left on a cart... http://www.smileysnetwork.com/ecole/school19.gif

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2014, 02:38 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/08/texans-jadeveon-clowney-exits-practice/#25408101=0

The real-time, as it happened tweets tell the tale. Trainers table, icing a specific area, upset, left on a cart... http://www.smileysnetwork.com/ecole/school19.gif

Geppetto has evidently come out of retirement.

ObsiWan
08-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Geppetto has evidently come out of retirement.
Hmmm... which one of the voices do I listen to...?
the optimist:
Oh our crack medical staff is just trying to minimize the chance that Clowney reinjures his recently repaired groin area by taking him off the field. And Clowney, being a baller, isn't happy about being pulled out of the mix.

or the pessimist:
Clowney is hurt yet AGAIN!! He'll be another Mario. AAAALLways something wrong with him.

:thinking:

Texian
08-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Hmmm... which one of the voices do I listen to...?
the optimist:
Oh our crack medical staff is just trying to minimize the chance that Clowney reinjures his recently repaired groin area by taking him off the field. And Clowney, being a baller, isn't happy about being pulled out of the mix.

or the pessimist:
Clowney is hurt yet AGAIN!! He'll be another Mario. AAAALLways something wrong with him.

:thinking:

You had me up until you said "crack medical staff".

Playoffs
08-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Geppetto has evidently come out of retirement.As it happened...

http://www.texansbullpen.com/14photogallery/Preseason/2014-08-02-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0673.JPG
http://www.texansbullpen.com/14photogallery/Preseason/2014-08-02-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0811.JPG
http://www.texansbullpen.com/14photogallery/Preseason/2014-08-02-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0850.JPG

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2362965#post2362965

djohn2oo8
08-02-2014, 05:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1O9iQ2-60

Jesus

thunderkyss
08-02-2014, 05:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1O9iQ2-60

Jesus

I used to shake my head every time I saw an unblocked Texan trying to figure out what to do. Looks like JD isn't going to have that problem. I know he didn't have a lot of stats last year, but everything I saw made me think he had a knack for finding the ball.

dc_txtech
08-02-2014, 09:30 PM
This makes sense.

"I go with [Texans head trainer] Geoff Kaplan on that," O'Brien said. "We try to measure or count how many reps he has in practice and kind of keep him on a pitch count there. He wants to be in every drill, so we'll just continue to do that."

Typically that involves sitting out certain plays. This is the first time Clowney has left practice early on a cart since training camp started.

Pitch count? WTF is that?

Lambert
08-02-2014, 09:36 PM
This makes sense.

Pitch count? WTF is that?

It's what O'Brian said, counting the reps he gets each day, so he doesn't overwork his repaired groin----as they do in baseball, to be careful that a pitcher doesn't hurt his arm.

dc_txtech
08-02-2014, 09:46 PM
It's what O'Brian said, counting the reps he gets each day, so he doesn't overwork his repaired groin----as they do in baseball, to be careful that a pitcher doesn't hurt his arm.

I understand what a pitch count is.

This was the point.

Typically that involves sitting out certain plays. This is the first time Clowney has left practice early on a cart since training camp started.

DX-TEX
08-03-2014, 12:45 AM
You had me up until you said "crack medical staff".

Maybe he meant our medical staff is on crack?

I understand what a pitch count is.

This was the point.

He just felt the time was right to try the cart.

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2014, 01:14 AM
As it happened...

http://www.texansbullpen.com/14photogallery/Preseason/2014-08-02-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0673.JPG
http://www.texansbullpen.com/14photogallery/Preseason/2014-08-02-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0811.JPG
http://www.texansbullpen.com/14photogallery/Preseason/2014-08-02-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0850.JPG

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2362965#post2362965

With a typical groin pull (adductor muscle), you would expect the ice pack to be positioned lower over the upper inner thigh. The position of Clowney's ice pack is more centralized over the lower anterior abdominal wall/pubic bone area, more consistent with concern over the region more associated with athletic pubalgia (sports hernia).

Carr Bombed
08-03-2014, 01:19 AM
Maybe Saturday's weather threw him off, "It's Texas (in Aug) and it wasn't hot"

Sure as hell put me in shock. :)

Lambert
08-03-2014, 01:23 AM
Isn't a groin adductor muscle pull or tear also called athletic pubalgia?

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2014, 01:52 AM
Isn't a groin adductor muscle pull or tear also called athletic pubalgia?

No. Groin "pull" involves a tear of the adductor muscles proper....not their tendons.

http://www.mendmeshop.com/_img/groin-pull-adductor-muscle-strain.jpg

Athletic pubalgia (sports hernia) usually involve the oblique muscles in the lower abdomen, many times with the tendons that attach the oblique muscles to the pubic bone being the site of tear. In many cases of sports hernia, the tendons that attach the thigh (adductor) muscles to the pubic bone are also stretched or torn.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/figures/A00573F01.jpg

Lambert
08-03-2014, 02:39 AM
So what surgury did JC have, a torn adductor muscle repair, or an adductor muscle tendon tear repair?

I'm thinking that it must have been just the adductor muscle repair, cause if he played on it all last year, as has been reported, a tendon tear would have been too debilitating, no?

The quote from your information seems to say that a "sports hernia" and "Athletic pubalgia" can be the same.

"Athletic pubalgia (sports hernia) usually involve the oblique muscles in the lower abdomen, many times with the tendons that attach the oblique muscles to the pubic bone being the site of tear. In many cases of sports hernia, the tendons that attach the thigh (adductor) muscles to the pubic bone are also stretched or torn."

DocBar
08-03-2014, 09:33 AM
I wonder what Jared Allen scored 56.
Jared Allen Combine results. (http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Jared&l=Allen&i=6742)

GNTLEWOLF
08-03-2014, 09:41 AM
With all the injuries to key players, and having Fitz as our best option at QB, is there anybody else who has lost any optimism for this season?

76Texan
08-03-2014, 09:45 AM
With all the injuries to key players, and having Fitz as our best option at QB, is there anybody else who has lost any optimism for this season?

What optimisim? :brando:

sandman
08-03-2014, 09:50 AM

What key players have been officially designated as injured that has caused you to lose any and all optimism for this season?

dc_txtech
08-03-2014, 10:02 AM
What key players have been officially designated as injured that has caused you to lose any and all optimism for this season?

I don't know about "official" but AJ and Foster have "non life-threatening" injuries. Cushing isn't practicing, Clowney carted off the field, Nix hasn't practiced, Quessenberry is out and Bonner broke his foot. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm probably missing somebody.

Hopefully the injuries aren't severe but I have to admit I am a bit concerned.

DocBar
08-03-2014, 10:17 AM
I don't know about "official" but AJ and Foster have "non life-threatening" injuries. Cushing isn't practicing, Clowney carted off the field, Nix hasn't practiced, Quessenberry is out and Bonner broke his foot. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm probably missing somebody.

Hopefully the injuries aren't severe but I have to admit I am a bit concerned.I'm concerned about Cush. I think there's a very real chance he might never come back.
I'm pretty OK with them keeping AF and AJ off the field for a couple of weeks and let the hammies heal. I've never seen JD,Q, Nix or Bonner suit up in the regular season, so it's hard for me to miss what I've never had.

The OL seemingly being healthy has me :texanbill:
Reports keep talking about how improved Newton looks this year and DB is back up to his fighting weight.

I also have a lot of optimism in our WR corps from what I hear out of camp.

I'm feeling pretty good about where the team is after 1 full week of camp.

GNTLEWOLF
08-03-2014, 10:19 AM

Well, let's start with Cushing. He is injured and the nature of his injury is obviously a lot more serious than the TEXANS have let on. As a matter-of-fact, his noticeable abscence makes one wonder if the injury isn't carreer threatening.
Next is Quesenberry. I know, it is not an injury, but he is lost to the team, and he was projected to be a key player.
How about Andre? He is still not back at practice. Nobody REALLy knows what the nature of his injury is. I would say he is a key player.
Now Clowney. I kind of think he might be pencilled in as a key player. Oh I know that we don't know how bad his injury really is. may be nothing. Bur again, may be something.
And let's not forget Arian Foster's on again, off again injuries.
I'm sure there have been others that are less than key players, but that might have filled important roles that I am forgetting. But that list is enough.
Now, I have watched and coached enough football in my life to know and understand that injuries happen. That is a part of the game. But this list makes me more than somewhat less than optimistic about Our chances to make any real noise in the AFC South.

Number19
08-03-2014, 10:20 AM
I'll wait until after TC for final assessment, but I'm trending more optimistic. I've already predicted we make the playoffs as a wild card, but I'm liking what I see in our (potential) starting 22. AJ, Foster, Cushing, Clowney and, possibly, Nix will be ready to answer the bell. If we stay healthy we may challenge the Colts for the division title.

GNTLEWOLF
08-03-2014, 10:22 AM

Hopefully the injuries aren't severe but I have to admit I am a bit concerned.

Ah, see, I had forgotten about NIX and Bonner.

Marcus
08-03-2014, 10:28 AM
I'll wait until after TC for final assessment, but I'm trending more optimistic. I've already predicted we make the playoffs as a wild card, but I'm liking what I see in our (potential) starting 22. AJ, Foster, Cushing, Clowney and, possibly, Nix will be ready to answer the bell. If we stay healthy we may challenge the Colts for the division title.

:spit:

ObsiWan
08-03-2014, 10:32 AM
You had me at "Fitz is our best option at QB".
Maybe he'll have a career year in O'Brien's offense.
...we'll see.

GNTLEWOLF
08-03-2014, 11:05 AM
You had me at "Fitz is our best option at QB".Maybe he'll have a career year in O'Brien's offense.
...we'll see.

That one was and has been the number one buzz kill for me too.:loser

Brisco_County
08-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Nick Scurfield confirms that Clowney isn't practicing today.

The Pencil Neck
08-03-2014, 11:51 AM

Lost? Lost optimism? That implies there was some optimism to begin with. With Fitz as our QB and the hope that he's replaced early on by a rookie, I don't think I've ever expected much out of this season.

My hope is that we're building toward a good future.

DBCooper
08-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Lost? Lost optimism? That implies there was some optimism to begin with. With Fitz as our QB and the hope that he's replaced early on by a rookie, I don't think I've ever expected much out of this season.

My hope is that we're building toward a good future.

And being a great team mate!

Playoffs
08-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Note the limp at 0:09: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/First-Look-Sunday-highlights/dc58137d-1812-46a8-8f97-180ee531911d

DocBar
08-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Note the limp at 0:09: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/First-Look-Sunday-highlights/dc58137d-1812-46a8-8f97-180ee531911d

That looks exactly like I would walk with a strained hip flexor. Hmmmm

PapaL
08-03-2014, 06:10 PM
That looks exactly like I would walk with a strained hip flexor. Hmmmm
That's how I walk when my balls are stuck to my leg in that summer heat.

Playoffs
08-03-2014, 06:23 PM

Thaaaaat might fall into the TMI category... by just a bit. http://www.4smileys.com/smileys/embarrassed-smileys/embarrassed-smiley62.gif

lol

ObsiWan
08-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Thaaaaat might fall into the TMI category... by just a bit. http://www.4smileys.com/smileys/embarrassed-smileys/embarrassed-smiley62.gif

lol
MIGHT??
heh

steelbtexan
08-03-2014, 11:14 PM

Texas summer heat?

It's been a relatively cool summer in Houston this yr.

sandman
08-04-2014, 03:14 AM
Well, let's start with Cushing. He is injured and the nature of his injury is obviously a lot more serious than the TEXANS have let on. As a matter-of-fact, his noticeable abscence makes one wonder if the injury isn't carreer threatening.
Next is Quesenberry. I know, it is not an injury, but he is lost to the team, and he was projected to be a key player.
How about Andre? He is still not back at practice. Nobody REALLy knows what the nature of his injury is. I would say he is a key player.
Now Clowney. I kind of think he might be pencilled in as a key player. Oh I know that we don't know how bad his injury really is. may be nothing. Bur again, may be something.
And let's not forget Arian Foster's on again, off again injuries.
I'm sure there have been others that are less than key players, but that might have filled important roles that I am forgetting. But that list is enough.
Now, I have watched and coached enough football in my life to know and understand that injuries happen. That is a part of the game. But this list makes me more than somewhat less than optimistic about Our chances to make any real noise in the AFC South.

OK, let me rephrase. What injuries have been catastrophic in nature to have dashed all hope for this season?

Cush? He has been a known commodity on the injury scene for many months now. Were we really counting on him this season? We are all rooting for him, but we all have in the back of our minds that ANYTHING we get from him is beyond expectations.

DQ? Tough to lose OL depth, but he was not projected to be a starter this year.

Foster, Johnson and Clowney all got a bit banged up in TC. Injuries sure, but well towards the "tweak" side of the scale than the "we are going 0-16!" side.

Real games don't happen for a while. When it comes to those three missing games instead of missing a practice, then I'll go look for a ledge.

hookinreds
08-04-2014, 01:21 PM

Ahh, the ol' bat wing syndrome.

Vance87
08-18-2014, 12:53 AM
Falcons RB Smith on Jadeveon Clowney hit: Nothing 'special'

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/17/antone-smith-jadeveon-clowney-hit-gif-video

Houston Texans rookie Jadeveon Clowney introduced himself to Falcons running back Antone Smith in a big way on Saturday, flattening Smith with a huge hit behind the line of scrimmage in the first quarter of a preseason game.

But Smith, for one, isn't much impressed by Clowney, the No. 1 pick in this year's NFL draft. In an interview with 610 Sports Radio in Houston, Smith called Clowney "just a guy" and said his play wasn't "anything special."

“Just a guy,” Smith told the radio station. “I don’t see anything special. He’s just a guy. He’s a guy who plays defensive end. He plays pretty good. Made a good play.”

"Just a guy" is one way to put it. Texans coach Bill O'Brien put Clowney's play into another category on Sunday.

“I think that Clowney has come in here and worked hard, he’s a very instinctive player for a rookie,” O’Brien told reporters on Sunday, according to Pro Football Talk. “He’s a hard working guy. He’s a guy that when he’s played in these games, he’s played well. He’s been able to show his pass rushing abilities. He’s been able to show his defense against the run ability. He’s dropped into coverage, so he’s done a lot of different things for us and he just needs to keep improving and that’s what he’s going to do.”

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/images/1310566609761.jpg

:evil:

TheIronDuke
08-18-2014, 08:07 AM
http://gfycat.com/MeekKindAnura

Gif of the Clowney play on the RB. Looks pretty special to me.

xtruroyaltyx
08-18-2014, 08:42 AM
http://giant.gfycat.com/MeekKindAnura.gif

Do we play any read option teams this year?

HAHAHAH....

DX-TEX
08-18-2014, 08:46 AM

The last time an opponent said a Texans defensive player was "just a guy" was in 2012. Then that player won DPOY. Isnt that right Mr Warmack?

Playoffs
08-18-2014, 08:53 AM
Antone Smith...?

Never heard of him.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvM7_HWIYAACw7S.png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvM7_HWIYAACw7S.png (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvM7_HWIYAACw7S.png)

SAMURAITEXAN
08-18-2014, 09:31 AM
I think Clowney is not 100% back from his surgery right? Can you imagine when Clowney is back 100%? I mean damn.

DocBar
08-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Antone Smith...?

Never heard of him.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvM7_HWIYAACw7S.png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvM7_HWIYAACw7S.png (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvM7_HWIYAACw7S.png)Isn't that the guy JDC decleated? :kitten:

He should be thanking JDC for getting him so much exposure.

CloakNNNdagger
08-18-2014, 02:41 PM
OK, let me rephrase. What injuries have been catastrophic in nature to have dashed all hope for this season?

Cush? He has been a known commodity on the injury scene for many months now. Were we really counting on him this season? We are all rooting for him, but we all have in the back of our minds that ANYTHING we get from him is beyond expectations.

DQ? Tough to lose OL depth, but he was not projected to be a starter this year.

Foster, Johnson and Clowney all got a bit banged up in TC. Injuries sure, but well towards the "tweak" side of the scale than the "we are going 0-16!" side.

Real games don't happen for a while. When it comes to those three missing games instead of missing a practice, then I'll go look for a ledge.

Seems as though many here were saying the same thing about not worrying about them missing OTAs.....but then worrying a great deal ONLY if they miss any of camp...........the standard appears to be a very mobile one these days.:kitten:

DocBar
08-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Seems as though many here were saying the same thing about not worrying about them missing OTAs.....but then worrying a great deal ONLY if they miss any of camp...........the standard appears to be a very mobile one these days.:kitten:Ya have to stay flexible, doc. It helps keep you from injuring yourself! :chickendance:

Carr Bombed
08-18-2014, 03:35 PM

"Just a guy"

What a idiot..

Hey, I'm "just a guy", your average Joe. So all it takes for this moron to get face planted into the turf is just a random average joe to blow through your line and flatten you?, where do I sign up :rolleyes: Really? So just any random Joe can embarrass him and man handle him like that.. As a coach who's looking to fill that spot, I'd starting looking for "any other guy" who can actually not allow "J.A.G.'s" to make my running back look like their prison *****. :smiliepalm: If he feels like Clowney is "just a guy" then what does that say about him?

Yes He's definitely mad lol

ObsiWan
08-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Seems as though many here were saying the same thing about not worrying about them missing OTAs.....but then worrying a great deal ONLY if they miss any of camp...........the standard appears to be a very mobile one these days.:kitten:

Why whatever are you implying my good man??

http://www.johnlocke.org/site-docs/lockerroom/movinggoalpost.gif

This would make quite the fine smiley
...if only I knew how to make smilies.

DocBar
08-18-2014, 05:28 PM

...if only I knew how to make smilies.LMAO!!! MSR. That's effing hilarious!!!

DocBar
08-18-2014, 05:32 PM
"Just a guy"

What a idiot..

Hey, I'm "just a guy", your average Joe. So all it takes for this moron to get face planted into the turf is just a random average joe to blow through your line and flatten you?, where do I sign up :rolleyes: Really? So just any random Joe can embarrass him and man handle him like that.. As a coach who's looking to fill that spot, I'd starting looking for "any other guy" who can actually not allow "J.A.G.'s" to make my running back look like their prison *****. :smiliepalm: If he feels like Clowney is "just a guy" then what does that say about him?

Yes He's definitely mad lolThat makes it so much funnier watching the replay. The dude got absolutely slobberknockered. His back hit the ground with his feet off the ground. Looking at the angles, that was a vicious hit. Did he stay in the game? With interviews like that, the NFL might want to question Atlanta's medical staff. That guy was concussed.

ObsiWan
08-18-2014, 05:49 PM
LMAO!!! MSR. That's effing hilarious!!!

Found another good one...

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/debs711/goalposts.gif

DocBar
08-18-2014, 05:52 PM

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/debs711/goalposts.gifStill MSR, you rep whore!!! I love it!!!

ObsiWan
08-18-2014, 05:57 PM
Still MSR, you rep whore!!! I love it!!!
If I only knew how to put that in our stash.

DocBar
08-18-2014, 06:35 PM
If I only knew how to put that in our stash.Maybe another member does...think mangoes....

Txn_in_Oki
08-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Not being able to see any games of him yet have made me kind of "meh" on the pick. I finally saw his highlight against Atlanta and my first thought is that I can't belive how fast he is. A guy that big should not be able to move like that. Ridiculous.

CloakNNNdagger
08-18-2014, 07:19 PM

You made my day with this gif!!!!!!!! I'm all repped out.....gotta spread it again.

DocBar
08-18-2014, 07:22 PM
You made my day with this gif!!!!!!!! I'm all repped out.....gotta spread it again.That was great, wasn't it? I got a great laugh out of that. Should be added to our smiley list.

Nitrofish
08-19-2014, 04:29 AM
If I only knew how to put that in our stash.

You mean they people who run the board do not know how to do that? I do not believe a mod can do it. Has to be admin if I remember correctly.

ObsiWan
08-19-2014, 06:58 AM
You mean they people who run the board do not know how to do that? I do not believe a mod can do it. Has to be admin if I remember correctly.
I'm sure they can

infantrycak
08-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Shoot a pm to Khari. She handles the smilies.

CloakNNNdagger
08-19-2014, 08:19 AM

I think that if she tries to use that gif and shrink it, it will lose too much resolution. You can already see the pixelation on the large gif. (I tried it on my own computer)

BigBull17
08-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Not being able to see any games of him yet have made me kind of "meh" on the pick. I finally saw his highlight against Atlanta and my first thought is that I can't belive how fast he is. A guy that big should not be able to move like that. Ridiculous.

More impressive is how quick he is. Explosive and agile. Not only did he beat a pulling guard, on his own side, to the punch, but he also had the CoD skills to make the play.

xtruroyaltyx
08-19-2014, 10:33 AM
http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/37159174/20140816_tcb_al2_163.JPG.0_standard_783.0.jpg
http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/8/19/6044837/houston-texans-news-august-19-2014

Bulls on Parade
08-19-2014, 12:03 PM
I never had any doubts but are we wasting Clowney anytime he has to drop back in pass coverage as an outside linebacker? This monster should be off the edge ready to rush the passer or stuff the run in any situation. He's too quick and unblockable when his motor is running rampant. I don't want him to play a so called Willie McGinest role in Romeo Crennel's defense. He's far more talented than that. To waste any down with him in pass coverage is absurd.

I love the improvements with his hands as well. He reminds me of a more athletic and stronger, bigger version of a young Javon Kearse. Back in 1999 to 2001 when he would average 12 sacks a year and was nicknamed "The Freak." I truly believe Jadeveon Clowney can haul in 14 to 20 sacks a year for a long time. He's that special of a talent. But only if he's being put into those situations where he can terrorize opposing quarterbacks. He will also pulverize opposing running backs in the backfield. I love his quick tackle techniques. Very fluid and no wasted movement. He can get low in a second and bring you down.

The Pencil Neck
08-19-2014, 12:24 PM
I never had any doubts but are we wasting Clowney anytime he has to drop back in pass coverage as an outside linebacker? This monster should be off the edge ready to rush the passer or stuff the run in any situation. He's too quick and unblockable when his motor is running rampant. I don't want him to play a so called Willie McGinest role in Romeo Crennel's defense. He's far more talented than that. To waste any down with him in pass coverage is absurd.

I don't think he should be used in pass coverage very often but I think everyone on that line should be moved into pass coverage every so often. That includes JJ Watt, Nix, Powe, Crick, whatever. We saw some Zone Dogging in the game against the Falcons and I think we should continue to do that from time to time just to screw up the blocking assignments.

For example, if Clowney shows he's coming and two guys go to block him and then he backs out into a zone... that's two guys doing nothing and an extra set of arms that the QB isn't accounting for.

As long as they don't drop him back very often and only do it at unexpected, random times, I'll be fine with it.

If they have him trailing RBs and TEs across the field all the time, I'll be pizzed.

xtruroyaltyx
08-19-2014, 12:35 PM
I really think Watt and Clowney are going to win a couple games for us. Just having those two on the field together is going to be crazy.

I want to see them competing for DPOY.....against each other...

I just hope they don't get hurt bumping heads while simultaneously crashing an opponent in their backfield...

Vance87
08-19-2014, 01:14 PM
I really think Watt and Clowney are going to win a couple games for us. Just having those two on the field together is going to be crazy.

I want to see them competing for DPOY.....against each other...

That'd be cool, and also very expensive...

TheMatrix31
08-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Watt won a few games for us directly in 2012. I can only hope Clowney can add to the mix in that same fashion.

ObsiWan
08-19-2014, 05:36 PM

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/debs711/goalposts.gif

I think that if she tries to use that gif and shrink it, it will lose too much resolution. You can already see the pixelation on the large gif. (I tried it on my own computer)
Well, there are two to choose from; and the second one is already smiley-size.

Playoffs
08-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Texans’ Jadeveon Clowney impresses Broncos in joint practice (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/08/19/texans-jadeveon-clowney-makes-strong-impression-in-joint-practice-with-broncos/28903/)
It took all of two hours Tuesday for No. 1 overall draft pick Jadeveon Clowney to show why he’s one of the most hyped pass rushers in recent memory.

Just ask Ryan Clady, the Broncos‘ left tackle who was charged with keeping Clowney away from Peyton Manning during Tuesday’s joint practice with the Houston Texans at the Broncos’ Dove Valley training complex.

“He’s gonna be in this league for a while,” Clady said. “He’s definitely got some explosiveness, and I can see why he was the first overall pick for sure. It shows. It’s just how fast he can move at his size. Not a lot of guys can do that and he’s obviously gonna have success in this league with that kind of talent.”

Several times Clady and Clowney matched up in individual drills and live team exercises. Once, toward the end of practice during a hurry-up drill, Clowney beat Clady to the inside and pressured Manning on a touchdown pass to Demaryius Thomas. Had it been a regular season game, it’s likely that Clowney would have knocked Manning to the ground on the throw, if not made it all the way there for a sack...

Nitrofish
08-19-2014, 09:16 PM
Here is a reduced size version I converted. This should work fine on the board if someone can get this to Khari, or whomever has the credentials to do it. I can make it smaller if that is too big.