PDA

View Full Version : What are the real ‘lessons learned’ from Texans 2002 draft?

Texans_Chick
04-30-2014, 08:29 PM
What are the real ‘lessons learned’ from Texans 2002 draft? (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/04/real-lessons-learned-from-texans-2002-draft/)

This is a combo look at Peter King's MMMQ and McClain's Carr/McNair article.

Basically, it is a non-profane sum up of what I think a lot of people from this part of the world thought after reading both.

I say non-profane because I am guessing a lot of people's initial reaction to it and some of the quotes was some version of GTFO.

Hope you enjoy it, say hi at the draft party if you are there.

Playoffs
04-30-2014, 08:40 PM
Second to last paragraph sums it up exactly for me.

Nice work, Steph.

Norg
04-30-2014, 10:57 PM
Should of picked Peppers and then David garrad in the 2nd

powda
04-30-2014, 11:18 PM
How bout zero tolerance for bad coaching and worse gm'ing? Any qb needs some talent around him. And regardless of the tools that qb has he'd better put in the effort to win. If a qb won't work extra because he's busy getting haircuts, I blame him and the coaches for not making him accountable. Draft position and salary should never equal rights to a starting position. And whats with overpaying stars AFTER theyre good? What happened? Fail on all fronts. Took to long to flush it.

thunderkyss
05-01-2014, 01:56 AM
What are the real ‘lessons learned’ from Texans 2002 draft? (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/04/real-lessons-learned-from-texans-2002-draft/)
The key lesson learned is that the quarterback you choose has to eat, breathe football and have the best work ethic and football IQ in the locker room. More is rightfully expected from that position than any other one on the field. And that the mental component of the quarterback is a key part of any quarterback evaluation. Hard work isn’t enough, but it is a prerequisite to long run success.

File this viewpoint in “Easier Said Than Done.”

I think you're close to "the real lesson" here.

What did David want?

There's no doubt in my mind he was the leader of that Fresno state team. I'm sure he ate/slept/breathed enough football to sit him squarely as the undisputed leader of that football team... but what happened?

Right now, Manziel is saying all the things that need to be said & doing all the things that he needs to do to make sure he's the #1 pick. Or at least a first round QB.

What's he going to do when he's finished doing that?

What's Bortles going to do if he's made the 1st round pick?

I think the thing that made Tom Brady great, was that he wanted to prove that he was the best. Had he not gone through what he did at Michigan, & still have six QBs taken before him, I doubt the need to "prove" he was the best would have been so strong.

What is it that drives Peyton? What drives Brees? What drives Rodgers? If he started right away, would he be the guy that he is today?

Just like any other player, a lot of guys goal is to get to the NFL & once they get there, it's over. That carrot that compelled them to put in that work, to sacrifice, to demand more of themselves is gone.

So... the question we need to ask about our next QB is what does he want & how badly does he want it?

cland
05-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Congrats Stephanie, you just got quoted on the PFT one-liners! (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/01/thursday-morning-one-liners-262/)

I agree with your points. I do think the Texans set up David to fail with a coordinator who had an overly complex option-route based system in his first year, an o-line that certainly was in the lower-third of the league, and not enough competition to win his starting QB role.

That being said, the truth is that David Carr all being perfect from the beginning was a bottom-third starting QB at best. That was proven after he left the Texans and never made any sort of run as a starter again.

I still recall the fact that all you had to do to stop David Carr was throw out the dreaded cover-2 defense. You got him into check down mode early in the game, and when it mattered you just pulled down your coverage knowing that he was so shaky in the pocket he wouldn't see the deep routes that were now wide open.

Double Barrel
05-01-2014, 12:53 PM
What are the real ‘lessons learned’ from Texans 2002 draft?

Same thing 31 other teams learned, that Charlie Casserly is a fraud. :fingergun:

Honoring Earl 34
05-01-2014, 01:05 PM
I think you're close to "the real lesson" here.

What did David want?

There's no doubt in my mind he was the leader of that Fresno state team. I'm sure he ate/slept/breathed enough football to sit him squarely as the undisputed leader of that football team... but what happened?

Right now, Manziel is saying all the things that need to be said & doing all the things that he needs to do to make sure he's the #1 pick. Or at least a first round QB.

What's he going to do when he's finished doing that?

What's Bortles going to do if he's made the 1st round pick?

I think the thing that made Tom Brady great, was that he wanted to prove that he was the best. Had he not gone through what he did at Michigan, & still have six QBs taken before him, I doubt the need to "prove" he was the best would have been so strong.

What is it that drives Peyton? What drives Brees? What drives Rodgers? If he started right away, would he be the guy that he is today?

Just like any other player, a lot of guys goal is to get to the NFL & once they get there, it's over. That carrot that compelled them to put in that work, to sacrifice, to demand more of themselves is gone.

So... the question we need to ask about our next QB is what does he want & how badly does he want it?

Carr was a 5th year senior , in a week conference , at a leadership position , and had A monster year , not career but year .

Carr got married as a sophomore because he was lonely . That tells me he has the charisma of a brick and couldn't lead grown men to a free buffet . Carr wasn't chummy with the other players of course that could be because he was carpooling with his dad .

At the end of the day you had Toto fighting pit bulls . I never bought into Carr being so tough because to me , he took a beating to hide his failures .

What we learned was you can't build a team from the billboard down .

HJam72
05-01-2014, 01:11 PM
What most of us didn't really know until he was gone is that David Carr does not put forth the film study effort throughout the week that a successful starting QB needs to. We debated and argued everything else under the sun (and I think I was wrong about like 95% of it, btw), but the whole time he was taking film home....and then apparently watching The Lion King all evening with the kiddies.

Honoring Earl 34
05-01-2014, 01:18 PM
What most of us didn't really know until he was gone is that David Carr does not put forth the film study effort throughout the week that a successful starting QB needs to. We debated and argued everything else under the sun (and I think I was wrong about like 95% of it, btw), but the whole time he was taking film home....and then apparently watching The Lion King all evening with the kiddies.

The thing is in most professions that's very admirable . As an NFL QB , you're married to that job if you want to be great .

Dave had the best of both worlds cause he made a ton of money and did it his way .

Double Barrel
05-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Carr simply did not have the hunger for it like you see in the great ones. He did not live and breathe the game. It's not a knock on him, because I think there are probably more players like him than not. Guys extremely gifted as athletes, and what separates the good from the great is what is in their heart and how they mentally handle and process it year after year.

I think Carr's potential was to be a Trent Dilfer-like game manager. Given the right circumstances, he probably could have reached that potential. The expansion team Texans were obviously far from the right circumstances.

Seegara
05-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Congrats Stephanie, you just got quoted on the PFT one-liners! (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/01/thursday-morning-one-liners-262/)

I agree with your points. I do think the Texans set up David to fail with a coordinator who had an overly complex option-route based system in his first year, an o-line that certainly was in the lower-third of the league, and not enough competition to win his starting QB role.

That being said, the truth is that David Carr all being perfect from the beginning was a bottom-third starting QB at best. That was proven after he left the Texans and never made any sort of run as a starter again.

I still recall the fact that all you had to do to stop David Carr was throw out the dreaded cover-2 defense. You got him into check down mode early in the game, and when it mattered you just pulled down your coverage knowing that he was so shaky in the pocket he wouldn't see the deep routes that were now wide open.
He must have been a lot like Case Keenum.