PDA

View Full Version : Article on ACL's (Antone Exum)

badboy
04-25-2014, 11:34 AM
I found this interesting article and wanted to share it; very long but easy to read.

"The initial questions are always the same: How soon will I be back? When can I expect to play again? For Exum, it was even more specific. As soon as he was diagnosed, he wanted to know if he would be ready to take the field by Aug. 31, the date of Virginia Tech's season-opening showdown with defending BCS champion Alabama.
There were no immediate answers. The journey from the operating room to the locker room is nonlinear, a track filled with ups and downs, advances and unforeseen setbacks. Before he could run, Exum had to relearn to walk. Before he could walk, he needed to be able to extend his knee and bear weight on his right leg again.
On Feb. 6, Exum met with Albi Gilmer, a physical therapist and clinic manager at the Andrews Institute, to go over his rehab plan. He began a program that consisted of quadriceps-setting exercises, heel slides, gastroc stretches and patellar mobilizations -- low-impact routines that would help Exum gradually improve his extremely restricted range of motion and limited strength.
The most painful periods in the early part of his recovery were the approximately 45 to 60 minutes each day in which therapists would stretch Exum's knee into flexion and extension, manually attempting to break through scar tissue.
"It sounds pretty cruel, but it's a guy pushing on his knee until it starts breaking loose," said Ben Graff, a clinical athletic trainer at the Andrews Institute who works closely with Gilmer. "We got to get that range manually. It's probably pretty gruesome to watch, but a guy pushing on another kid's ankle trying to bend his heel toward his butt and manually loosening it."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131009/antone-exum-virginia-tech-acl-recovery/#ixzz2zutIefO1