PDA

View Full Version : Falcons ‘most likely’ partner if Texans deal No. 1 pick in 2014 NFL draft

House of Pain
04-25-2014, 11:23 AM
http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/24/atlanta-falcons-trade-houston-texans-2014-nfl-draft/

I know there is all sorts of scuttlebutt out there about what the Texans are doing with their #1 pick, but I thought I'd ask the question: If the Texans do trade back, what would you think they should get in return? (Assuming the report is true and the Texans would trade with the Falcons)

I would think:

Falcons get--
#1 pick of the 1st Round (2014)

Texans get--
#6 pick of the 1st Round (2014)
#6 pick of the 2nd Round (2014)
#6 pick of the 3rd Round (2014)
#6 pick of the 2014 1st Round (2015)

By all accounts this is a deep draft. The Texans can get their pick at #6. They also pick up much needed extra picks in the first round, not to mention having two 1st round picks in the 2015 Draft. I would feel much better going forward with the Texans picking 5 times in the first 3 rounds.

What do y'all think?

HOU-TEX
04-25-2014, 11:26 AM
If a team offered that I'd pee in my pants whilst jumping up and down.

Count down to move to the draft forum...3...2...1

JB
04-25-2014, 11:31 AM
http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/24/atlanta-falcons-trade-houston-texans-2014-nfl-draft/

I know there is all sorts of scuttlebutt out there about what the Texans are doing with their #1 pick, but I thought I'd ask the question: If the Texans do trade back, what would you think they should get in return? (Assuming the report is true and the Texans would trade with the Falcons)

I would think:

Falcons get--

Texans get--

By all accounts this is a deep draft. The Texans can get their pick at #6. They also pick up much needed extra picks in the first round, not to mention having two 1st round picks in the 2015 Draft. I would feel much better going forward with the Texans picking 5 times in the first 3 rounds.

What do y'all think?

I like it a lot, but it's even better since Atlanta has the #5 pick in the second round and the #4 pick in the third round this year. The first next year would probably be in the 20's

honored82
04-25-2014, 11:55 AM
That trade don't make sense. That's just too many picks to give away just to move up 5 spots, come on now. ATL does not have a lot of quality picks. They have TWO 7th rounders and such, and they have a lot of holes to fill. O line, TE ( Tony gonzales replacement ) pass rush....etc

We lucky if they do 1st round + 2nd round + 4th round pick for our 1st.
That's what i would ask if I was GM.

DocBar
04-25-2014, 12:08 PM
That trade don't make sense. That's just too many picks to give away just to move up 5 spots, come on now. ATL does not have a lot of quality picks. They have TWO 7th rounders and such, and they have a lot of holes to fill. O line, TE ( Tony gonzales replacement ) pass rush....etc

That's what i would ask if I was GM.Agreed. Atlanta's GM would be ran out of town on a rail for making that deal. Atlanta needs to nail this draft as badly as the Texans do and they are also more than a couple of players away.

eriadoc
04-25-2014, 12:21 PM
I would think:

Falcons get--

Texans get--

Curious why you didn't include the Falcons second rounder from 2015? Too much?

JCTexan
04-25-2014, 12:27 PM

That's what i would ask if I was GM.

It all depends on how bad they want Clowney. When the Falcons made a similar trade for Julio Jones they traded their 1st (27th overall), 2nd (59th), 4th (124th overall) round picks in 2011 and their 1st & 4th in 2012. Moving up to #1 for Clowney for that package doesn't seem outlandish in comparison.

VTexan
04-25-2014, 12:31 PM
uh, yes PLEASE.

swap 1'st. we get their 2nd and 4th. they get our 5th and we get their 1st next year.

Porky
04-25-2014, 12:36 PM

I would think:

Falcons get--

Texans get--

What do y'all think?

That's all? You forgot to throw in Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. I mean come on. :headhurts:

IDEXAN
04-25-2014, 12:40 PM

I would think:

Falcons get--

Texans get--

What do y'all think?
If it were only true, but we are all dreaming if we think Clowney can fetch that volume and quality of picks.

JCTexan
04-25-2014, 12:43 PM
If it were only true, but we are all dreaming if we think Clowney can fetch that volume and quality of picks.

Julio Jones did.

Double Barrel
04-25-2014, 01:01 PM
That trade scenario has a Bud Light Real American Heroes vibe to it. :thinking:

honored82
04-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Julio Jones did.

That was jumping 27th overall to 6th for Julio.

This is 6th to 1st. Not many spots here.

I believe all these draft pick trades have a formula or points. They all look the same unless you are dealing with Belichick.

stingray
04-25-2014, 01:18 PM
That was jumping 27th overall to 6th for Julio.

This is 6th to 1st. Not many spots here.

I believe all these draft pick trades have a formula or points. They all look the same unless you are dealing with Belichick.

It actually takes a lot more to move from 6th to 1st then from 27th to 6th if you go by the chart points system.

Corrosion
04-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Water is wet..

STL is sitting pretty @ #2

Jax isn't making a deal with the Texans being a division rival

Cleveland will have a chance at hitting a home run at #4 where they are already guaranteed one of Clowney , Robinson , Mack or Watkins and probably their choice of at least two of the top 3 QB's.

Oakland has no motive to move up & have more holes to fill than picks.

ATL is the most likely being they have their QB (If they can keep him upright) and adding a guy like Clowney , should he be all that gives them a formidable defensive front for a potential deep playoff run (Again , if they can keep their QB upright). They could also make that same move and take Robinson instead of Clowney.

stingray
04-25-2014, 01:23 PM
I really wouldnt want to do this trade. The only other players i want besides clowney are mack or bridgewater. And i think Mack will be gone by the 6th pick and I think you can nab bridgewater later in the round.

stingray
04-25-2014, 01:25 PM

I would think:

Falcons get--

Texans get--

What do y'all think?

By doing the math, that trade is about right.

Corrosion
04-25-2014, 01:50 PM
I really wouldnt want to do this trade. The only other players i want besides clowney are mack or bridgewater. And i think Mack will be gone by the 6th pick and I think you can nab bridgewater later in the round.

You could always move back again and pick up more draft picks in the process.

DocBar
04-25-2014, 01:53 PM
Water is wet..

Jax isn't making a deal with the Texans being a division rival

Cleveland will have a chance at hitting a home run at #4 where they are already guaranteed one of Clowney , Robinson , Mack or Watkins and probably their choice of at least two of the top 3 QB's.

Oakland has no motive to move up & have more holes to fill than picks.

ATL is the most likely being they have their QB (If they can keep him upright) and adding a guy like Clowney , should he be all that gives them a formidable defensive front for a potential deep playoff run (Again , if they can keep their QB upright). They could also make that same move and take Robinson instead of Clowney. I bet that would blow up some draft boards and get some telephones lighting up.

If the original scenario played out, I'd be more than happy take BPA at 1.6

Corrosion
04-25-2014, 01:58 PM
I bet that would blow up some draft boards and get some telephones lighting up.

If the original scenario played out, I'd be more than happy take BPA at 1.6

Well , Atlanta's biggest issue last season was keeping Ryan upright , what better way to fix it than take the best OT in the draft ??? If Ryan isn't getting hit so often , that team is a real contender.

Or they could take one of Clowney or Mack , whichever they believe makes them the better team.

At 6 The Texans probably have a shot at two of Bortles , Bridgewater or Manziel

IDEXAN
04-25-2014, 02:06 PM
Julio Jones did.
That's true, but it was a different deal in terms of what was exchanged by each team. Don't get me wrong, it would be great for us to get that deal, I hope they can pull it off or something close to it.

honored82
04-25-2014, 02:08 PM
By doing the math, that trade is about right.

I dont know what math you talking about. Do you have the points chart system for trading draft picks ? or does anyone else have it ?

JB
04-25-2014, 02:13 PM
I dont know what math you talking about. Do you have the points chart system for trading draft picks ? or does anyone else have it ?

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

The Pencil Neck
04-25-2014, 02:20 PM

This draft is so deep that I would jump all over this trade. If our plan is to revamp our defense to fit Crennel's system AND to upgrade our offense to fit OB's system, all those picks are going to come in really handy. Granted, we'd be going in with a really young team next year but we could make some serious upgrades with those picks.

Just going by the Texan's Talk Mock Draft

Pick #6 == Khalil Mack
Pick #37 == Morgan Moses, OT (With Yankey, Amaro, Niklas still on the board)
Pick #68 == Terrence Brooks, FS (With Garopollo, Hyde, Mettenberger, Deone Bucannon still on the board)

If you add that to our own picks... wow. You could do a lot with that draft.

honored82
04-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Yea, if this trade happens, we will have 13 picks. Could be the best draft in the history of Texans.

stingray
04-25-2014, 03:21 PM
I dont know if my math is right but heres a three way trade that would work. Falcons give their 2015 1st round pick(16th), 2014 6th overall pick and 2nd round (37th) to the Texans. Texans then trade the 6th 2014, and next years Falcons or Texans 1st round pick(16th) to the Rams. Texans would end up with the 2nd pick and can draft Khalil Mack and then pick up an the 37th pick just to move down one spot.

The reason for this trade is because im almost sure Mack will not be available at the 6th pick.

powda
04-25-2014, 03:37 PM
I feel like a comprehensive study of previous rick Smith trades vs. the draft chart values would make for a GREAT THREAD...but I have personal limitations which prevent me from doing so right now. At any rate, it's always felt like smith settles for less then what the chart demands. I'm not sure if that's a consistent all the time but if we do trade back, I do not expect a haul like the Herschel Walker or Julio Jones trades. Lose those expectations now.

Corrosion
04-25-2014, 03:48 PM
I dont know if my math is right but heres a three way trade that would work. Falcons give their 2015 1st round pick(16th), 2014 6th overall pick and 2nd round (37th) to the Texans. Texans then trade the 6th 2014, and next years Falcons or Texans 1st round pick(16th) to the Rams. Texans would end up with the 2nd pick and can draft Khalil Mack and then pick up an the 37th pick just to move down one spot.

The reason for this trade is because im almost sure Mack will not be available at the 6th pick.

Is Mack going to play Quarterback ?! :bubbles:

IDEXAN
04-25-2014, 03:52 PM

I don't think Mack is among the elite prospects in this Draft, who I believe to be limited to Clowney, WR Watkins, & OT Robinson. Mack is an excellent football player who would certainly help the Texans or any team that ends up with him, but he's not a truly elite talent IMO.

The Pencil Neck
04-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Is Mack going to play Quarterback ?! :bubbles:

No.

That's going to be: Bridgewater-Mettenberger-Garoppolo-McCarron-Murray-Savage-...

+ Ryan Fitzpatrick

+ Yates or Keenum.

stingray
04-25-2014, 04:04 PM
No.

That's going to be: Bridgewater-Mettenberger-Garoppolo-McCarron-Murray-Savage-...

+ Ryan Fitzpatrick

+ Yates or Keenum.

Bingo!!

stingray
04-25-2014, 04:07 PM
I don't think Mack is among the elite prospects in this Draft, who I believe to be limited to Clowney, WR Watkins, & OT Robinson. Mack is an excellent football player who would certainly help the Texans or any team that ends up with him, but he's not a truly elite talent IMO.

Well, thats where we disagree. :cool:

Porky
04-25-2014, 04:28 PM
No.

+ Ryan Fitzpatrick

+ Yates or Keenum.

Or the guy the Texans are selecting - Bortles.

Corrosion
04-25-2014, 06:03 PM

Don't count out Manziel ..... especially if they trade down.

I know McNair likes him some Johnny Football. :mail:

The Pencil Neck
04-25-2014, 06:07 PM

He's included in the "..." along with Manziel.

Playoffs
04-25-2014, 06:28 PM
Rumor is it's the Texans who are generating these Falcons trade up rumors,

but a rumor about rumors is often rumerroneous. :bubbles:

The Pencil Neck
04-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Rumor is it's the Texans who are generating these Falcons trade up rumors,

but a rumor about rumors is often rumerroneous. :bubbles:

Like a RumorCube.

Texian
04-25-2014, 06:44 PM
I know McNair likes him some Johnny Football. :mail:

I thought Case Keenum was his starting QB????

DocBar
04-25-2014, 09:52 PM
Well , Atlanta's biggest issue last season was keeping Ryan upright , what better way to fix it than take the best OT in the draft ??? If Ryan isn't getting hit so often , that team is a real contender.

Or they could take one of Clowney or Mack , whichever they believe makes them the better team.

At 6 The Texans probably have a shot at two of Bortles , Bridgewater or ManzielI'm not disagreeing with you, just thinking of all the teams that would be lighting up the Rams telephones because Player X is still on the board.

I'm thinking some teams in the 20's that are one difference maker away from a championship would be willing to part with plenty to take their Player X at 1.2. Maybe I'm buying into some of the Clowney/Mack/Watkins hype, but I just see your scenario as game changing for some reason.

Corrosion
04-26-2014, 12:23 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you, just thinking of all the teams that would be lighting up the Rams telephones because Player X is still on the board.

Water is wet..

^^ My first post in this thread^^

I'm thinking some teams in the 20's that are one difference maker away from a championship would be willing to part with plenty to take their Player X at 1.2. Maybe I'm buying into some of the Clowney/Mack/Watkins hype, but I just see your scenario as game changing for some reason.

I think it could be the first domino to fall ..... I could see a number of teams wanting to make a move up for one of the premium prospects who could be difference makers to those teams picking at the tail end of the round.

After Clowney & Mack , I think Watkins & Evans are the two players those teams would covet (KC , Carolina , SF , Pitt & Philly) as after them , the talent drops dramatically.

Other teams like Tennessee could surprise us and take a QB.

Yeah , the Rams are in real good position with #2 & #13

Sigma
04-26-2014, 08:21 AM
In the endless chatter about what the texans will do with their 1st overall pick the voice of those who have houston trading down were always in the background.

In the last days the possibility of a trade (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341550/article/jadeveon-clowney-should-be-target-for-falcons-in-draft-trade) with (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000342837/article/jadeveon-clowney-among-stars-visiting-falcons) atlanta (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000344052/Clowney-to-meet-with-Falcons-on-Friday) is becoming (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/0ap2000000344600/Can-Falcons-afford-to-trade-up-for-Clowney) ever (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000344174/article/jadeveon-clowney-undergoes-force-plate-testing-by-falcons) more (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000344620/Will-Clowney-end-up-in-Atlanta) real (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000343995/article/falcons-might-trade-up-to-no-1-will-meet-with-clowney-again).

It's no secret that I would rather a trade down scenario than drafting clowney.

I still am not sure on who to pick at #6 tho.

Anyways having some more picks in the 2nd and 3rd round could be the best help in our situation.

Since this topic has now some "meat" I thought it deserved it's own thread, if this is not the case feel free to merge to others.

IDEXAN
04-26-2014, 08:29 AM
My prediction ? Texans unable to pull-off a trade for their #1 overall.

Sigma
04-26-2014, 08:40 AM
My prediction ? Texans unable to pull-off a trade for their #1 overall.

Well they did get a trade for schaub :)

I don't know if pulling-off the trade is the difficult part

Getting a good deal and drafting the right players on the other hand....

beerlover
04-26-2014, 08:40 AM
my prediction is this thread will be moved to NFL Draft section.

JCTexan
04-26-2014, 08:47 AM
My prediction is it will get merged with this (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104820).

thunderkyss
04-26-2014, 08:49 AM
my prediction is this thread will be moved to NFL Draft section.

Probably in a thread already started about the Atlanta trade possibility (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104820).

PapaL
04-26-2014, 09:01 AM
21 hours late and wrong forum. Meeeeeerge!

IDEXAN
04-26-2014, 09:01 AM
How many posters in here from Italy ? Shouldn't Italian posters have atleast one thread of their own ?

thunderkyss
04-26-2014, 09:03 AM
How many posters in here from Italy ? Shouldn't Italian posters have atleast one thread of their own ?

They can have as many as they want as long as it isn't a repeat of another thread &/or in the right forum.

DocBar
04-26-2014, 09:07 AM
^^ My first post in this thread^^

I think it could be the first domino to fall ..... I could see a number of teams wanting to make a move up for one of the premium prospects who could be difference makers to those teams picking at the tail end of the round.

After Clowney & Mack , I think Watkins & Evans are the two players those teams would covet (KC , Carolina , SF , Pitt & Philly) as after them , the talent drops dramatically.

Other teams like Tennessee could surprise us and take a QB.

Yeah , the Rams are in real good position with #2 & #13I think Tenn will take a QB, but not in the 1st. They have too many other needs. Locker is adequate if and when he's healthy. If the top QB's slide to the late 1st or 2nd round, I could see them trading up for a QB.

Carolina could be drafting WR in every round cuz they really need some. :boogereater:

IDEXAN
04-26-2014, 09:19 AM
They can have as many as they want as long as it isn't a repeat of another thread &/or in the right forum.

What are you Gary Kubiak or something ? Why not develop some flexibility and let the one and only poster from Italy who's showed up in these parts have a thread of his own, even if it's not entirely original ?

ArlingtonTexan
04-26-2014, 09:25 AM
What are you Gary Kubiak or something ? Why not develop some flexibility and let the one and only poster from Italy who's showed up in these parts have a thread of his own, even if it's not entirely original ?

The poster being in Italy is irrelavant.

Texian
04-26-2014, 09:38 AM
My reading of the Tea Leaves regarding Falcons trading up is this: Dimitroff & CO likely assume there is high probability that the Texans take a QB with their first pick since they're sans QB. Snead, Fisher & CO will pass on Clowney/Mack with Long and Quinn already on the front line. Therefore Jacksonville becomes the attractive candidate for Atlanta to trade up with so the Falcons can draft Clowney or Mack. In turn, moving from #6 to #3 vs #6 to #1, saves the Falcons 800 trade value points. The equivalent of a 1st and 3rd RD pick and still getting a player they covet.

bah007
04-26-2014, 09:50 AM
I think Tenn will take a QB, but not in the 1st. They have too many other needs. Locker is adequate if and when he's healthy. If the top QB's slide to the late 1st or 2nd round, I could see them trading up for a QB.

Carolina could be drafting WR in every round cuz they really need some. :boogereater:

Carolina has the worst WR corp in the NFL right now, but their OL is also terrible. They need to come out of this draft with two starting OL and an impact WR. Not gonna be easy picking at the back of the pack.

thunderkyss
04-26-2014, 09:55 AM
My reading of the Tea Leaves regarding Falcons trading up...

Unless they think neither Clowney or Mack will be there at 6, I'm just not seeing it. I imagine they'd be happy with either.

phantom17
04-26-2014, 10:07 AM
yup, lots of smoke screens! If they can't trade down, I think it will be a Clowney!:koolaid:

DocBar
04-26-2014, 06:13 PM
I really hope this scenario plays out, then Smith trades down again for even more picks. I can see 3-4 guys I'd like at 10 or 11 that would be instant starters and impact players.

The more I watch Justin Gilbert and Ha Ha, the more I like them. This could be a need and bpa pick.

stingray
04-26-2014, 10:25 PM
As most would say that two division rivals wouldnt trade. But a simple trade with the jags would also make sense. The jags are more of a natural fit for clowney as they run a 4-3 defense. Mack would be more of a fit in Houston in a 3-4. The jags can send their 3rd overall pick along their 2nd and 3rd round pick. The draft chart equals to an even trade with the point system. The texans get mack and extra two early round picks and the jags get their man in clowney.

DocBar
04-26-2014, 11:20 PM
As most would say that two division rivals wouldnt trade. But a simple trade with the jags would also make sense. The jags are more of a natural fit for clowney as they run a 4-3 defense. Mack would be more of a fit in Houston in a 3-4. The jags can send their 3rd overall pick along their 2nd and 3rd round pick. The draft chart equals to an even trade with the point system. The texans get mack and extra two early round picks and the jags get their man in clowney.Not bad reasoning. I'm confident enough in Clowney being a :clown: at the NFL level that I would pull the trigger on that and risk facing him twice a year.

Dan B.
04-27-2014, 01:40 AM
Could we trade down with Atlanta to 6th, then flip the sixth pick and a second rounder to St. Louis and move up to 2? Clowney stays in the NFC and we still get Mack before JAX picks along with another pick or two from Atlanta..

Corrosion
04-27-2014, 02:27 AM
Could we trade down with Atlanta to 6th, then flip the sixth pick and a second rounder to St. Louis and move up to 2? Clowney stays in the NFC and we still get Mack before JAX picks along with another pick or two from Atlanta..

Probably no need to trade back up

1 Atlanta - Clowney
2 STL - Robinson
3 Jax - Bortles
4 Cleveland - Watkins
5 Oakland - Matthews
6 Houston - ????

Marshall
04-27-2014, 04:45 AM
http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

First-Pick has modified their chart to something like this because of the deep draft:
1-1 2500 (was 3000)
1-2 2300 (was 2600)
1-3 2100 (was 2200)
1-4 1900 (was 2000)
1-5 1700 (was 1800)

Then it continues with the traditional formulas.

LikeMike
04-27-2014, 07:35 AM

With getting that much back, I´d definetly do it. I´d be satisfied with any of the following:

Clowney
Robinson
Mack
Matthews
Watkins
Bortles
Manziel
Bridgewater

So basically I´d be alright with trading down all the way to #8. Picking up another 2nd this year and another first next year would be enough for me - getting another third rounder would be icing on the cake.

I´d take Clowney if we stay put, but there are several questions around him, so I wouldn`t hesitate to trade the pick if we really get that much in return.

IDEXAN
04-27-2014, 09:19 AM
First-Pick has modified their chart to something like this because of the deep draft:
1-1 2500 (was 3000)
1-2 2300 (was 2600)
1-3 2100 (was 2200)
1-4 1900 (was 2000)
1-5 1700 (was 1800)

That more progressive scale works with an Andrew Luck/RG3 type Draft, but without those kinda QB prospects the top picks are worth much less. I think any basis for assignment of points in a year like this is nearly random, and I would hope the Texans are so aggressively shopping their pick that they are offering trade terms just as appealing as the Rams are for their #2 overall.

badboy
04-27-2014, 11:30 PM
While I do consider points, I prefer to focus more on the picks and who I can get.

Playoffs
05-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Ted Johnson ‏@Teddyjradio
SHOP IS CLOSED.....you heard it here first. ATL doesn't want to do biz with the Texans after all... http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/05/01/falcons-not-interested-in-clowney-or-no-1-pick/ …

Falcons Not Interested In Trading For Clowney & No. 1 Pick (http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/05/01/falcons-not-interested-in-clowney-or-no-1-pick/)

The Atlanta Falcons and Houston Texans will not be working together on a trade for the No. 1 overall pick involving Jadeveon Clowney, SportsRadio 610 has learned.

The Falcons are interested in trading up to acquire a player they value above their spot at No. 6, but they do not believe that player is worth picking with the No. 1 pick. SportsRadio 610 has also learned that the player the Falcons are interested in is not Jadeveon Clowney.

Greg Robinson, OT.

DX-TEX
05-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Ted Johnson ‏@Teddyjradio

Falcons Not Interested In Trading For Clowney & No. 1 Pick (http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/05/01/falcons-not-interested-in-clowney-or-no-1-pick/)

Greg Robinson, OT.

Not buying it. They visited with Clowney 3 times. Third time was a quick turn around to go see him at USC after visiting him in Atlanta.

Playoffs
05-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Not buying it.

I am. Not the only team with Greg Robinson #1 overall.

I think that's why Rick volunteered the "can never have enough CBs and OTs" yesterday. Trying to smoke out more offers to trade up for Robinson.

Lucky
05-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Not buying it. They visited with Clowney 3 times. Third time was a quick turn around to go see him at USC after visiting him in Atlanta.
Wonder if the force plate test revealed something wrong with Clowney? Still, not buying that there is or isn't a deal until the Texans are actually on the clock.

powda
05-02-2014, 10:56 AM
They have a trade in place with the Rams and dont want anybody leapfrogging them for Clowney.

mussop
05-02-2014, 11:54 AM
They have a trade in place with the Rams and dont want anybody leapfrogging them for Clowney.

This is confusing??

powda
05-02-2014, 12:08 PM
This is confusing??

They didnt want to pay the price to move up with the Texans.

Theyre not convinced we will select Clowney so in the event someone else is desperate enough to possiblly move with us they want to create less urgency by taking their name out of the hat. All while bargaining with the Rams who are in the cat bird seat.

mussop
05-02-2014, 12:22 PM
They didnt want to pay the price to move up with the Texans.

Theyre not convinced we will select Clowney so in the event someone else is desperate enough to possiblly move with us they want to create less urgency by taking their name out of the hat. All while bargaining with the Rams who are in the cat bird seat.

That makes sense.

Blake
05-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Teams dont divulge their plans. They just dont. How can anyone actually believe this is 100% true?

pirbroke
05-02-2014, 01:08 PM
They all lie and never show their cards until the final minute or two on the clock. Why would you put all your chips in a week ahead of time. Media release is their version of wearing shades and shrugging their shoulders when they have a bad hand. Everybody needs to let all this stuff go in one ear and out the other. 6 more days and the fun begins, I can't wait.

bah007
05-02-2014, 03:28 PM
I really think the Texans end up with Bortles or Mack and Atlanta trades into #2 for either Robinson or Clowney.

badboy
05-02-2014, 04:34 PM
so if true, Atlanta does not think Texans will pick Clowney?

thunderkyss
05-02-2014, 04:51 PM

Damnear every mock I've seen has the Rams taking Robinson. If the Falcons want him, the only way to get him is to trade with us.

However, if they believe we're going to take Mack & St Louis is going to take Robinson, they probably feel that Clowney will fall past Jacksonville & Cleveland.

I don't think he gets past Jacksonville, but I think it's more likely the Jags will take a QB. Probably Bridgewater, maybe Carr.

thunderkyss
05-02-2014, 04:54 PM
so if true, Atlanta does not think Texans will pick Clowney?

& they've probably got good reason to believe so. Something said while negotiating the trade I bet.

badboy
05-02-2014, 04:58 PM
& they've probably got good reason to believe so. Something said while negotiating the trade I bet.
So Texans may have slipped and gave unintended info to Falcons?

thunderkyss
05-02-2014, 05:02 PM
So Texans may have slipped and gave unintended info to Falcons?

Or maybe he Smith needs to work on his poker face.

http://pictures.bigfunnysite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/bad-poker-face.jpg

DocBar
05-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Damnear every mock I've seen has the Rams taking Robinson. If the Falcons want him, the only way to get him is to trade with us.
However, if they believe we're going to take Mack & St Louis is going to take Robinson, they probably feel that Clowney will fall past Jacksonville & Cleveland.

I don't think he gets past Jacksonville, but I think it's more likely the Jags will take a QB. Probably Bridgewater, maybe Carr. So NFL GM's and HC's rely on talking head/fan mock drafts to make their draft day decisions???

thunderkyss
05-02-2014, 09:59 PM
So NFL GM's and HC's rely on talking head/fan mock drafts to make their draft day decisions???

Good point

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

DocBar
05-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Good point

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TapatalkLOL. You know as well as I do that everything is smoke and mirrors til draft day is here. Believe none of what you hear and little of what you see. I'm thinking JFF, Robertson or take less than we think to trade back. Jmho.

Corrosion
05-03-2014, 01:52 AM
Dam near every mock I've seen has the Rams taking Robinson. If the Falcons want him, the only way to get him is to trade with us.

I don't think he gets past Jacksonville, but I think it's more likely the Jags will take a QB. Probably Bridgewater, maybe Carr.

I think the first five off the board in no particular order are Clowney , Robinson , Mack , Matthews & Watkins.

If Atlanta wants one of those players , they have to move up to get him.

Marshall
05-03-2014, 04:15 AM
My reading of the Tea Leaves regarding Falcons trading up is this: Dimitroff & CO likely assume there is high probability that the Texans take a QB with their first pick since they're sans QB. Snead, Fisher & CO will pass on Clowney/Mack with Long and Quinn already on the front line. Therefore Jacksonville becomes the attractive candidate for Atlanta to trade up with so the Falcons can draft Clowney or Mack. In turn, moving from #6 to #3 vs #6 to #1, saves the Falcons 800 trade value points. The equivalent of a 1st and 3rd RD pick and still getting a player they covet.

I do not understand the comment of Houston being sans QB. We have three QB and, while we could improve the position, we could start the season without any additions at the position.

We are a wild card with the first pick and other teams need to know it. Assuming we will pick QB with 1-1 is an invalid assumption. I personally think Clowney, Robinson and Mack are all viable options at 1-1 as well as Bortles, Manziel and Bridgewater. I'd even think Watkins might be considered as Johnsons replacement. If you want your guy, you HAVE TO go to Houston or risk us taking him first.

Marshall
05-03-2014, 04:18 AM
1-1 2500 (was 3000)
1-2 2300 (was 2600)
1-3 2100 (was 2200)
1-4 1900 (was 2000)
1-5 1700 (was 1800)

Now they've changed it back.

badboy
05-03-2014, 09:09 PM
I do not understand the comment of Houston being sans QB. We have three QB and, while we could improve the position, we could start the season without any additions at the position.

We are a wild card with the first pick and other teams need to know it. Assuming we will pick QB with 1-1 is an invalid assumption. I personally think Clowney, Robinson and Mack are all viable options at 1-1 as well as Bortles, Manziel and Bridgewater. I'd even think Watkins might be considered as Johnsons replacement. If you want your guy, you HAVE TO go to Houston or risk us taking him first.
I think most folks doubt the ability of Yates or Keenum to get team more than 8-8 and we know little about the new FA Fitzy so getting a solid option in this draft does make sense.

Scooter
05-04-2014, 02:28 AM
I think most folks doubt the ability of Yates or Keenum to get team more than 8-8 and we know little about the new FA Fitzy so getting a solid option in this draft does make sense.

it's probably my own bias, but i dont know that teams would be so quick to write off keenum. o'brian fits his talents much better than kubiak as someone who can coach a wider passing offense. likewise, an early pick plus a healthy brown and foster on offense would go a long way to negating the single (but huge) knock he had last season.

the few times fitz has had healthy talent around him he's performed very well. the talent was thin and didnt last long, but he's shown he can play when even some of the pieces are in place. he'd have more all-pros at starter next season than he's had in the rest of his career combined. as someone who's battled up his whole career, he's got the mental fortitude, and with that talent i'm more than a bit curious.

yates, as much as i want to, i dont see it from. his talent is in his head, and his head seems to have taken the rosencopter route - overcompensating and trying to be more than he can.

Number19
05-04-2014, 06:45 AM
Something I haven't seen mentioned, the Texans have been in phase two of the off season workout program for a week, or so, now. During this phase coaches can actually evaluate the players in drills. They can also do drills as a team on a separates basis, meaning the offense can't go against the defense. Also, I believe they are limited to shorts, no pads.

Like I said, I haven't heard a word, but O'Brien has a limited opportunity to actually see what he has in Case and Yates.

Number19
05-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Right after writing the above, I go out to breakfast, pick up a Chronicle and read that O'Brien has been focusing on offseason workouts.

Texian
05-04-2014, 10:19 AM

Let me be a little more clear and precise. The Texans are without a > .500 QB. Without a QB who can throw twice as many TDs as INTs. Without a QB that has a QB rating of > 80.Without a WINNING QB.

Hervoyel
05-04-2014, 10:50 AM

I'd take 8-8 in OB's first season as HC. I'd take that in a heartbeat following 2-14.

Seegara
05-04-2014, 07:13 PM
One thing the Texans are good at is surprising people in round 1 draft day. Most journalists expect them to take Clowney. I bet they won't.

Playoffs
05-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Chris Mortensen says "the price the Texans would want is swap firsts, 2nd, 4th, and 2015 1st."

IDEXAN
05-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Chris Mortensen says "the price the Texans would want is swap firsts, 2nd, 4th, and 2015 1st."
But where ? They'd do that deal with StLouis, but certainly not Seattle.

Playoffs
05-05-2014, 02:01 PM
But where ? They'd do that deal with StLouis, but certainly not Seattle.

Falcons -- subject of thread. I just can't see doing it from their end. I'd protect Matty Ice and get more bodies on defense. They need a TE now, too.

badboy
05-05-2014, 02:14 PM
it's probably my own bias, but i dont know that teams would be so quick to write off keenum. o'brian fits his talents much better than kubiak as someone who can coach a wider passing offense. likewise, an early pick plus a healthy brown and foster on offense would go a long way to negating the single (but huge) knock he had last season.

the few times fitz has had healthy talent around him he's performed very well. the talent was thin and didnt last long, but he's shown he can play when even some of the pieces are in place. he'd have more all-pros at starter next season than he's had in the rest of his career combined. as someone who's battled up his whole career, he's got the mental fortitude, and with that talent i'm more than a bit curious.

yates, as much as i want to, i dont see it from. his talent is in his head, and his head seems to have taken the rosencopter route - overcompensating and trying to be more than he can.Vet FA and a high draft pick QBs probably will eliminate Keenum getting much time. I see him starting over with O'Brien as he did with Kubiak as #3. I think Yates is cut.

IDEXAN
05-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Falcons -- subject of thread. I just can't see doing it from their end. I'd protect Matty Ice and get more bodies on defense. They need a TE now, too.

Duh - yes it is ATL specific isn't it. OK, so I lost track of that for a moment.
But if the Texans are smart and they could get just those '14 picks they should jump all over it IMO. You can have Bortles, Mack, Watkins, Robinson, or Matthews and the 37th pick plus a 4th rounder. I doubt that they get a better deal than that. No way they can also get ATLs '15 first rounder.

badboy
05-05-2014, 02:21 PM
what if Houston would take 1-6, 2nd, 4th and 2015 2nd? Smith should not get caught up in points for points but players he could draft with a trade.

Lucky
05-05-2014, 02:39 PM
what if Houston would take 1-6, 2nd, 4th and 2015 2nd? Smith should not get caught up in points for points but players he could draft with a trade.
There's the rub. Can Ricky get his guy @1-6? If he has to spend picks to move back up, it's not really worth the effort.

LikeMike
05-05-2014, 02:41 PM

I´d definetly want the first next year. I´d be ok with just 1-6, 2nd and next years first. I´d probably consider 1-6, 3d and next years first...

At 6 one of those guys is definetly available:

Clowney
Robinson
Matthews
Mack
Watkins
Bortles
Manziel

I´d be ok with any of them - and even with Bridgewater even though his stack has fallen.

mussop
05-05-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by JB
I would want 6, 37, 68 and 2015 first that will likely be mid 20's

This is pretty much how I feel. I might consider their fourth instead of their third since this is a very deep draft. I would not accept anything less than that. But I would start the negotiations off with JBs reply.

I said this a week ago. NO!!! The future pick must be a first rounder IMO.

IDEXAN
05-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by JB
I would want 6, 37, 68 and 2015 first that will likely be mid 20's

I said this a week ago. NO!!! The future pick must be a first rounder IMO.
Why do you expect THAT MUCH ? And if you say Draft Value Chart, why do you think it's relevant this year, what do you base it on ?

JB
05-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Why do you expect THAT MUCH ? And if you say Draft Value Chart, why do you think it's relevant this year, what do you base it on ?

I don't know if you are talking to me or Mussop, but if to me then I would have to ask if you had trouble with reading comprehension. I said that is what I wanted, not what was expected. But I wouldn't do it for much less. As far as the Draft Value Chart, I referenced it for just that, so we would have a reference point

Texian
05-05-2014, 03:28 PM

Why is it not relevant? Jimmy Johnson inventor of the chart says just because rookie salary has changed, player value has not, so the chart is still relevant.

For Me: it's swap 1st in 2014, plus ATL 2nd RD; 2015 1st RD and 2015 3rd RD.

beerlover
05-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Why is it not relevant? Jimmy Johnson inventor of the chart says just because rookie salary has changed, player value has not, so the chart is still relevant.

Convince them, that future #1 would be 32nd overall & I'm sure they do that deal. :handshake:

IDEXAN
05-05-2014, 04:06 PM

It's too arbitray, too random. Logically we know that draft classes change every year, consequently every one is unique. Some classes have very valuable QB prospects, while other classes don't but might have very deep talent where there's not that much difference between the 3th overall and the 6th overall.
For example the Draft value chart says that last year Eric Fischer was as valuable as both Tavon Austin and Sheldon Richardson combined. That's silly, but on the other hand, there's no doubt that the 2012 top pick (Andrew Luck), was certainly more valuable than both of those players together.
If the draft classes were the same, and evenly balanced throughout the rounds it would mean something, but they are anything but that. If you were to base a DVC on logic, you'd have a different Chart for every year/Draft Class.

nytexan
05-05-2014, 04:36 PM
The main reason to trade down is not just the extra picks this year but that 1st rounder next year. The QB draft is next year. Pack up with players this year, trade draft assets next year to move up into the top 2 picks. That's the smart way to rebuild this team.

Dan B.
05-05-2014, 05:18 PM
The main reason to trade down is not just the extra picks this year but that 1st rounder next year. The QB draft is next year. Pack up with players this year, trade draft assets next year to move up into the top 2 picks. That's the smart way to rebuild this team.

Lots of people have been saying this. Who is the can't miss guy next year? I know Winston and Hundley are basically gone. I don't like Winston's chances to be frank, and I like Hundley but not so much for O'Brien's style of offense. I don't see a potential Luck next year either.

ObsiWan
05-05-2014, 05:27 PM
And Mort heard this from who on the Texans' staff??

The Pencil Neck
05-05-2014, 05:44 PM
And Mort heard this from who on the Texans' staff??

Charlie Casserly.

badboy
05-05-2014, 06:30 PM
I´d definetly want the first next year. I´d be ok with just 1-6, 2nd and next years first. I´d probably consider 1-6, 3d and next years first...

At 6 one of those guys is definetly available:

Clowney
Robinson
Matthews
Mack
Watkins
Bortles
Manziel

I´d be ok with any of them - and even with Bridgewater even though his stack has fallen.
I understand what you want but Falcons allegedly shot that down & I am thinking "get what you can Ric" in this deep draft.

nytexan
05-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Lots of people have been saying this. Who is the can't miss guy next year? I know Winston and Hundley are basically gone. I don't like Winston's chances to be frank, and I like Hundley but not so much for O'Brien's style of offense. I don't see a potential Luck next year either.

Mariota out of Oregon, Winston and Petty out of Baylor to begin with, plus Hundley out of UCLA

badboy
05-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Mariota out of Oregon, Winston and Petty out of Baylor to begin with, plus Hundley out of UCLA
Beginning of '13 season this draft looked to be super strong at Qb and that supposedly has not turned out.

ObsiWan
05-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Charlie Casserly.
Oh... Well...
Why didn't you say so...
http://www.quotesworthrepeating.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Guardian-of-the-Emerald-City-Gates.jpg

That's a horse of a different color

nytexan
05-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Beginning of '13 season this draft looked to be super strong at Qb and that supposedly has not turned out.

Mariota was expected to come out, no-one could have predicted he'd get hurt during the season and come back to school.

mussop
05-05-2014, 09:40 PM

That's no reason not to set ourselves up if we have the chance.

thunderkyss
05-05-2014, 10:46 PM

Depends on how you define "Super Strong"

I always heard there were no "can't miss" franchise guys, but several that will have long successful careers. Looks that way to me. McCarron, Carr, Murray, Bridgewater, Mettenberger.... I'm sure two of those guys will be starters & Garoppolo, Bortles, Manziel, Fales, may add another.

Playoffs
05-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Atlanta Journal Constitution: Here’s what it would cost to land Jadeveon Clowney (http://atlantafalcons.blog.ajc.com/2014/05/06/heres-what-it-would-cost-to-land-jadeveon-clowney/)
Here’s what it would cost for the Falcons to trade up to the No. 1 spot to land Jadeveon Clowney.
The Falcons have to make up 1,400 points in the Draft Trade Value Chart.
After the Falcons and Texans flopped first-round picks there would be 1,400 point differential. The Falcons’ second-round pick (530 points) and third-round pick (250 points) this year, would leave them short of 620 points.

The Falcons would likely have to send next season’s first-round pick to make up the difference, if they believe the Falcons will draft 30th or lower next season.

If the Falcons win the Super Bowl, the 32nd pick would have the value of 590.

Let’s sum that up, it would be a 4-for-1 trade.
–Falcons would get No. 1 overall 2014 pick.
–Texas would get No. 6 overall 2014, No. 37 (second), No. 68 (third) and next year’s No. 1.

Wolf6151
05-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Atlanta Journal Constitution: Here’s what it would cost to land Jadeveon Clowney (http://atlantafalcons.blog.ajc.com/2014/05/06/heres-what-it-would-cost-to-land-jadeveon-clowney/)

I sure hope they make that trade. It seems to be team building suicide, but hopefully they go for it. I'd run to the podium with that trade agreement.

IDEXAN
05-06-2014, 04:34 PM
–Texas would get No. 6 overall 2014, No. 37 (second), No. 68 (third) and next year’s No. 1.
Not gonna happen, no way Jose, not even close. Maybe they could get ATLs first and second and a mid-round 2015 pick, but that's the best deal they'll see if they see that.

markn
05-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Swap firsts then take atl's second this year and next. I think that's about right and a deal I'd do.

DX-TEX
05-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Not gonna happen, no way Jose, not even close. Maybe they could get ATLs first and second and a mid-round 2015 pick, but that's the best deal they'll see if they see that.

Swap firsts then take atl's second this year and next. I think that's about right and a deal I'd do.

Nope. Its 1,2,3 this year and #1 next year. If they don't agree....meh, fudge em. You still have the #1 overall pick.

DocBar
05-06-2014, 06:54 PM

Nope. Its 1,2,3 this year and #1 next year. If they don't agree....meh, fudge em. You still have the #1 overall pick. I'd take either of the top two scenarios before playing hardball and getting stuck with the 1st overall pick. Way too deep of a draft to do that.

JMHO, though....

badboy
05-06-2014, 07:05 PM
I think some are slipping into 'this is what I want for 1.1' syndrome and not remembering the deal has to be accepted. Watkins and Robinson are probably only two "minimal risk" choices. Most now agree none of QBs are solid first pick so if we can get a trade from another team offering a top 8 player + at least two more picks, why refuse deal if 2015 first not offered?

Yeah I want it but let's not cut our nose off to spite face

NastyNate
05-06-2014, 07:35 PM
I think some are slipping into 'this is what I want for 1.1' syndrome and not remembering the deal has to be accepted. Watkins and Robinson are probably only two "minimal risk" choices. Most now agree none of QBs are solid first pick so if we can get a trade from another team offering a top 8 player + at least two more picks, why refuse deal if 2015 first not offered?

I agree with this logic. The draft is loaded this year, so why not give a buyer's incentive to secure two more picks in the first 3 rounds? I feel like the draft chart only works when teams are jumping over themselves to get a certain player.

ObsiWan
05-06-2014, 07:50 PM

I agree with this logic. The draft is loaded this year, so why not give a buyer's incentive to secure two more picks in the first 3 rounds? I feel like the draft chart only works when teams are jumping over themselves to get a certain player.
I'm with you guys. I think of it as swapping Clowney (or whoever the Falcons draft @ 1-1) for the chance to fill three spots for the upcoming season.
Next year can take care of itself.

badboy
05-06-2014, 08:06 PM
I'm with you guys. I think of it as swapping Clowney (or whoever the Falcons draft @ 1-1) for the chance to fill three spots for the upcoming season.
Next year can take care of itself.yeah a first round is good but you do not know where that team ends up picking or who will be there. Go for most you can get but get something. I'm not sure Browns and Vikings are out of it yet.

DocBar
05-06-2014, 08:17 PM
yeah a first round is good but you do not know where that team ends up picking or who will be there. Go for most you can get but get something. I'm not sure Browns and Vikings are out of it yet.

If the Browns are in it, what's the price difference, in picks, between taking #4 or #26? Taking #26 is one helluva trade back and would take considerable more compensation, imo, even if they were in rounds 3-4.

What would be acceptable to you?

JB
05-06-2014, 08:27 PM
If the Browns are in it, what's the price difference, in picks, between taking #4 or #26? Taking #26 is one helluva trade back and would take considerable more compensation, imo, even if they were in rounds 3-4.

What would be acceptable to you?

I would take #4, 26, and a 4th in 2014 plus a 3rd in 2015 and give them our 3:1 this year

DocBar
05-06-2014, 08:40 PM
I would take #4, 26, and a 4th in 2014 plus a 3rd in 2015 and give them our 3:1 this yearTHAT is an interesting combo...I like it!!

pbat488
05-06-2014, 10:58 PM
texans were in talks to move from 33 to 16 with cowboys but talks stalled

DocBar
05-06-2014, 11:04 PM
texans were in talks to move from 33 to 16 with cowboys but talks stalledLink?

Wolf6151
05-07-2014, 04:15 AM
The fly in the ointment of all this trade down talk is St. Louis at #2. They are almost assuredly going to trade down, but with who. Whoever they trade down with could seriously F up our ability to trade down and still get the QB that we want.

DraftNick
05-07-2014, 04:58 AM
The fly in the ointment of all this trade down talk is St. Louis at #2. They are almost assuredly going to trade down, but with who. Whoever they trade down with could seriously F up our ability to trade down and still get the QB that we want.

Unless they trade down with a team that doesn't want a qb.

badboy
05-07-2014, 09:56 AM

What would be acceptable to you?We get Browns 1.4 & 1.26, 2.3, 3.7 & 3.19 = both of their firsts, swap seconds and both their thirds.

Cleveland gets 1.1 & 2.1

You have to give them incentive to trade. In this deal, I am unconcerned about points.

DX-TEX
05-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Evan SilvaVerified account
‏@evansilva More Werder: "Word on the street" is #Texans asking #Falcons for RG3-like haul to get from 6 to 1. (That was 3 1st-rounders & 2nd-rounder.)

If Rick pulls this off after getting a pick in trade for Schaub....

Double Barrel
05-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Honestly, an epic deal of this nature seems too good to be true...as a Texans fan.

DX-TEX
05-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Honestly, an epic deal of this nature seems too good to be true...as a Texans fan.

Its a new day in Houston. BOB will lead us out of the darkness and into the light.

ATXtexanfan

right! especially when they're not chasing a qb

DocBar
If Rick pulls this off after getting a pick in trade for Schaub.... GM of the year!!!Honestly, an epic deal of this nature seems too good to be true...as a Texans fan.No kidding...I'd hurt myself doing the happy dance!!! :hurrah:!

JCTexan
05-07-2014, 10:53 AM

Yeah it does. Maybe the Texans actually like Clowney and it would take this sort of package to pass on him? Otherwise, forget the 2016 1st rounder, add a 3rd round pick this year and make it happen. Two 1st-rounders, a 2nd-rounder & a 3rd would seem a tad more realistic.

Double Barrel
05-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Its a new day in Houston. BOB will lead us out of the darkness and into the light.

I hope you're right. Every new regime brings the potential to change the nature of Houston's pro football history.

I'm on the fence....waiting. Grass is always greener yada yada yada, but half the time it's because the grass grows well over a septic tank. :shades:

My conditioning as a lifelong H-town football fan has made me jaded and cynical, but I try not to put all that baggage on a new head coach. However, I cannot run from it. It is me, so I sip some koolaid - mainly to make sure it's not poisoned for the rest of you - and wait to react.

If they pull it off, I'll be happy to react in a very happy manner. :D Might even put on my dancing shoes with DocBar.

Playoffs
05-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Unlikely to happen. So is this, imo...

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Bottom line is no one is buying Texans are locked in on a guy at 1, know they could get QB at 6 or lower. Asking price will drop I reckon

Would not be surprised at all if ultimately a 2015 1st round pick and a 2014 3rd is enough to go from 6th to 1st. Stay tuned

Also, the Rams at 2nd overall open for business. ATL could go to 2nd pick for Mack. Further hurts HOU leverage. I still smell a trade

I still believe the asking price for the 1st overall pick will drop closer we get. ATL want to keep '14 2nd rnd pick but plenty of options..

powda
05-07-2014, 11:44 AM

If all we do is swap 1's and get a 3 i'll be pissed. I agree our asking price may drop the closer we get but not as much as he thinks. I think there's more then just Atlanta in the trade up camp...let them bid against each other.

Playoffs
05-07-2014, 11:45 AM
If all we do is swap 1's and get a 3 i'll be pissed...
As would I. We need to kill it in a trade or draft our guy.

Troy Chapman
05-07-2014, 11:47 AM
I read it as swap firsts this year, get their 1st next year and their third this year. Need something else as it appears Atlanta does not want to give up their 2nd round pick.

DX-TEX
05-07-2014, 11:50 AM
I read it as swap firsts this year, get their 1st next year and their third this year. Need something else as it appears Atlanta does not want to give up their 2nd round pick.

If they wont include this years 2nd in that deal then Rick needs to walk away.

JCTexan
05-07-2014, 11:54 AM
As would I. We need to kill it in a trade or draft our guy.

What if their guy is a player you absolutely know would be there at 6? Why not take the deal and get the extra picks instead of making a reach at 1.1?

IDEXAN
05-07-2014, 11:55 AM
I read it as swap firsts this year, get their 1st next year and their third this year.
Done !

ObsiWan
05-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Evan SilvaVerified account
‏@evansilva More Werder: "Word on the street" is #Texans asking #Falcons for RG3-like haul to get from 6 to 1. (That was 3 1st-rounders & 2nd-rounder.)
Asking is one thing.

Getting is quite another.

but I'll sure be cheering for them to get this done but won't be surprised if ATL says "that's too much; pass."

TheRealJoker
05-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Adding their first next year and 3rd this year is sufficient to trade up 5 spots imo. This draft is stacked. "Our guy" may still be there at 6 and if not we will have a 1st next year plus the 3rd to make us happy with the alternative option.

DocBar
05-07-2014, 12:18 PM
As would I. We need to kill it in a trade or draft our guy.I disagree with this. Killing it in this draft is getting a couple of extra picks. It's just so deep that there's not a ton of incentive to throw a bunch of picks at a team and move up to get "that guy".

It's my opinion that if the Texans don't make a trade, then they're stuck taking a guy.:spin:

powda
05-07-2014, 12:22 PM
I disagree with this. Killing it in this draft is getting a couple of extra picks. It's just so deep that there's not a ton of incentive to throw a bunch of picks at a team and move up to get "that guy".

It's my opinion that if the Texans don't make a trade, then they're stuck taking a guy.:spin:

So give us an acceptible trade scenario in your eyes.

DocBar
05-07-2014, 12:29 PM
So give us an acceptible trade scenario in your eyes.I'm cool with swapping 2014 1's, 2014 3rd and 2015 1st.If you could talk them out of 2014 4th, that would be pure gravy for me.

Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered. I value the extra picks in this draft much more than I do any particular player at 1.1, and this is a buyers market, not a sellers.

ArlingtonTexan
05-07-2014, 12:43 PM

If a trade happens the truth is probably between the two and more likely to be closer the 2nd one than the first.

Assuming the Texans really have 6 dudes rated pretty much the same getting one of them and getting a good pick this year and 1st next along with paying the dude less is the point of trading down. I personally don't care about a silly trade chart or making sure that I raped the team trading up.

More assets for something I might have done anyway is a good thing.

IDEXAN
05-07-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm cool with swapping 2014 1's, 2014 3rd and 2015 1st.If you could talk them out of 2014 4th, that would be pure gravy for me.

Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered. I value the extra picks in this draft much more than I do any particular player at 1.1, and this is a buyers market, not a sellers.
Dang right that's a deal, do it now Rick !

stingray
05-08-2014, 09:01 AM
My final prediciton is this. Falcons swap 1st round picks with Texans, Falcons also give the Texans their 2nd rounder this year and next years 1st rounder and 3rd rounder. Falcons select Clowney, and Texans select Bortles.

JB
05-08-2014, 09:30 AM
My final prediciton is this. Falcons swap 1st round picks with Texans, Falcons also give the Texans their 2nd rounder this year and next years 1st rounder and 3rd rounder. Falcons select Clowney, and Texans select Bortles.

I would be good with this

powda
05-08-2014, 11:08 AM
"The Falcons will "not sell the farm for anyone at the top of the draft, and will go left tackle at No. 6." - Peter King

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors.php

The1ApplePie
05-08-2014, 12:42 PM
"The Falcons will "not sell the farm for anyone at the top of the draft, and will go left tackle at No. 6." - Peter King

I'm pretty sure no one is going to sell the farm for a freakin' DE.

chicagotexan2
05-08-2014, 12:53 PM

Dammit I wish rick smith would take a deal that would be more reasonable. Maybe it's atl that's not being reasonable. Either way please please deal the top pick.

phantom17
05-08-2014, 01:00 PM
I would not mind if the pick the Clown! Trading down would be also great, but who would take the bait? I'm hoping OB & Romeo will let have a lot of say in this Draft, because Rick sucks at picking from round 3-7. Maybe they will slip him a tranquilizer before the Texans pick!:aggressive::swatter:

thunderkyss
05-08-2014, 07:43 PM
I'd have taken Buffalo's 1st, 4th, & next year's first to move down to 9