PDA

View Full Version : Why is Derek Newton Still a Texan?

Nitrofish
04-04-2014, 02:15 AM
Yea the recent signing of players like Ryan Fitzpatrick, I find myself confused regarding what O'Brien is up to, but nothing even comes close to wondering why Derek Newton is still a Texan. I can find no justification for keeping that guy around.

I have read posts calling for blood after last seasons disaster. Yet I hear no one calling for this guys head. Why not? Someone please explain this to me.

Why?

The Pencil Neck
04-04-2014, 02:28 AM
Maybe OB wants to see what he can do with him. Maybe OB doesn't think he's as bad as we do. Maybe they're not worried about cutting him because they're not planning on needing an extra $1.4 million right now and think they can wait until after the draft and after training camp.

BigBull
04-04-2014, 02:39 AM
Maybe OB thinks he can play guard.

Sent from the future...

Trap_Star
04-04-2014, 02:40 AM
he's the third musketeer....with ricky and cal.

Wolf6151
04-04-2014, 04:09 AM
Maybe O'Brien realizes that Newton played all of last season injured and wants to see what Newton can do coming into training camp fully healthy. I'm sure there will be competition at RT and that it won't just be given to Newton, he'll have to earn it if he plays the position. Newton is also young, cheap, has 2 yrs. of experience at the RT position and we have to have 90 players on the roster for training camp anyway.

Lucky
04-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Maybe OB wants to see what he can do with him. Maybe OB doesn't think he's as bad as we do. Maybe they're not worried about cutting him because they're not planning on needing an extra $1.4 million right now and think they can wait until after the draft and after training camp.
Where is this number coming from? Newton signed a 4 year, $2.1 million deal as a rookie in 2011. This is the last year of his contract at $645,000. Newton made an additional $175k in "performance pay" last year. No, I'm not joking.

The Texans would take a dead money cap hit of about $15k ($60k/4) with a net savings of about 630k if Newton is released. Not much there. The Texans haven't signed any OTs, and the draft is still a month away. No need to make that move now. And as BigBull suggests, the Texans may want to look at Newton at guard.

ArlingtonTexan
04-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Where is this number coming from? Newton signed a 4 year, $2.1 million deal as a rookie in 2011. This is the last year of his contract at $645,000. Newton made an additional $175k in "performance pay" last year. No, I'm not joking.

The Texans would take a dead money cap hit of about $15k ($60k/4) with a net savings of about 630k if Newton is released. Not much there. The Texans haven't signed any OTs, and the draft is still a month away. No need to make that move now. And as BigBull suggests, the Texans may want to look at Newton at guard.

Basically, it is cheap to keep him, nothing more, nothing less.

_King_
04-04-2014, 08:07 AM
I don't know what to think of newton. I saw some things technique wise that made me question John Benton as a line coach. Guys making the same mistakes over and over. Seems like the line got progressively worse under him.

Corrosion
04-04-2014, 08:19 AM
Why is he still a Texan ?? His contract is relatively small for the position with little guaranteed. May as well bring him to camp and let him compete , if he doesn't win a spot on the roster then cut him and the cap hit still next to nothing ($15k).

As bad as he is and as much as we all think he needs to get gone , it just doesn't make much sense to cut him prior to camp.

Marcus
04-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Because he might not be as bad as "we" think he is? :kitten:

2slik4u
04-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Two things:

1. We are probably drafting a RT and therefor Newton will be only depth

And

2. Maybe he was never suited for the ZBS and that was why he failed miserably?

thunderkyss
04-04-2014, 08:42 AM

OTC says (http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Texans) $1,431,000 in salary for the up coming season.

I'm with Nitro on this one, doesn't make sense that he's still here. If we're wanting Danieal Manning to take a pay cut saving something less than $4.5M, then that $1.43M allotted for Derek Newton should be awful attractive. Manning, imo, earned his money when he was healthy, Newton did not. If we're saying let's wait to see if these guys are healthy... well why aren't we waiting to see if producers are healthy? I know OD failed his physical, but he is healthy enough now, less than a month later, to be signed by Baltimore. & it's not like we're signing FAs to $5M against the cap deals... or even $2M against the cap.

Doesn't make sense to me.

infantrycak
04-04-2014, 08:54 AM
OTC says (http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Texans) $1,431,000 in salary for the up coming season.

Yes it does, and so does spotrac ... and it makes no sense. As Lucky said they also report the 4 year $2.1 mil deal on which there is only $645k remaining unpaid. Rotoworld has that $645k as his base 2014 salary. That makes sense.

Either way there is no particular benefit to cutting him. He's dirt cheap and the Texans are looking for camp bodies not to trim the roster. There is no reason for guys to go from starter to off the team - there are backup spots and camp bodies needed.

If they get to the point of needing his $630k/$1.416 mil in cap space to sign someone then they sign the new guy and cut Newton 1 second earlier. There's zero benefit to cutting him until you need the space and he may stick as a cheap backup.

Troy Chapman
04-04-2014, 09:09 AM
I guess nobody read OTC's article earlier this year on salary escalators. Derek Newton had $744,000 in salary escalators, which increased his 2014 base salary by that much. That is why his base salary is so high this year.

http://overthecap.com/updated-2014-nfl-salary-increases

The escalator is not guaranteed. Would be a $1.4m in cap savings if released at any point. But he is still relatively inexpensive. Has game time experience. So even if he is not the starter, he is a good back up to have at this point. I am confident Newton will be on the 53 man roster this year.

Corrosion
04-04-2014, 09:13 AM
I guess nobody read OTC's article earlier this year on salary escalators. Derek Newton had $744,000 in salary escalators, which increased his 2014 base salary by that much. That is why his base salary is so high this year.

That may be the case , but he's still cheap in terms of the position and that minimum bump in salary is still no reason to cut him prior to camp where you can see if he sticks as a starter or backup.

It costs no more to cut him in July than it does today.

Troy Chapman
04-04-2014, 09:14 AM
That may be the case , but he's still cheap in terms of the position and that minimum bump in salary is still no reason to cut him prior to camp where you can see if he sticks as a starter or backup.

Yep agreed. I added to my original post covering the same thought.

steelbtexan
04-04-2014, 09:27 AM
he's the third musketeer....with ricky and cal.

^^^^
This

steelbtexan
04-04-2014, 09:31 AM

I'm with Nitro on this one, doesn't make sense that he's still here. If we're wanting Danieal Manning to take a pay cut saving something less than $4.5M, then that $1.43M allotted for Derek Newton should be awful attractive. Manning, imo, earned his money when he was healthy, Newton did not. If we're saying let's wait to see if these guys are healthy... well why aren't we waiting to see if producers are healthy? I know OD failed his physical, but he is healthy enough now, less than a month later, to be signed by Baltimore. & it's not like we're signing FAs to $5M against the cap deals... or even $2M against the cap.

Doesn't make sense to me.

It makes plenty of sense, if you're penny pinching instead of trying to put the best product on the field as possible. How long did it take for the Bengals to sing Manning?

HOU-TEX
04-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Cheap and like Icak said, we need players. I don't expect him to start for us again, but he's ok for depth.

thunderkyss
04-04-2014, 09:32 AM

The escalator is not guaranteed. Would be a $1.4m in cap savings if released at any point. But he is still relatively inexpensive. Has game time experience. So even if he is not the starter, he is a good back up to have at this point. I am confident Newton will be on the 53 man roster this year.

good stuff... I can buy that, thanks.

I understand where you're coming from, but the tone of the original post was more of a "if he was soooooo bad" kind of thing, generated from all the slack he's been getting here. I don't think he meant, "Obviously he wasn't that bad." kind of thing, but more along the, "we tend to overreact" kind of thing.

TheIronDuke
04-04-2014, 09:41 AM
It makes plenty of sense, if you're penny pinching instead of trying to put the best product on the field as possible. How long did it take for the Bengals to sing Manning?

I wouldn't look to the Bengals as an example of a team that isn't penny pinching just because they signed Manning. They're $27 million under the cap (http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/10/5490460/bengals-are-26-851-million-under-the-2014-salary-cap) and have always been known as one of the most penny-pinching franchises in the league. When Joseph signed here he even said they have vending machines in the locker room instead of providing free Gatorade to the players.

drs23
04-04-2014, 12:28 PM
I know OD failed his physical, but he is healthy enough now, less than a month later, to be signed by Baltimore.

He did indeed and was released. His signing with Baltimore is also dependent on his passing their physical as well. It's not a DONE DEAL yet.

Norg
04-04-2014, 12:34 PM
cus hes young and cheap

we can cut him after the draft or before the 53 man roster cut does not matter

The Pencil Neck
04-04-2014, 12:51 PM

I got that number from OverTheCap.

BullNation4Life
04-04-2014, 02:14 PM
still wondering the same thing...

CloakNNNdagger
04-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Maybe O'Brien realizes that Newton played all of last season injured and wants to see what Newton can do coming into training camp fully healthy. I'm sure there will be competition at RT and that it won't just be given to Newton, he'll have to earn it if he plays the position. Newton is also young, cheap, has 2 yrs. of experience at the RT position and we have to have 90 players on the roster for training camp anyway.

Like most around here, I wasn't impressed with his play last year......in fact, I thought it was horrible. But at the same time if you remember, I kept on pointing out that he was never given a reasonable time to rehab after his patellar tendon surgery before forcing into play. This type of surgery is bad enough for a small player, but it is especially onerous for a big tackle who is expected to have good mobility. He will have had his deserved rehab time over the offseason to prove after the Draft that his injury was the main factor in his poor play......or only part of the problem, to which he may be more seriously considered at guard.......or that it was none of the problem to which he is just down right horrible. As the money involved is not the driving force, we and OB will find out certainly by the last cut.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
04-04-2014, 07:04 PM
The reasoning is simple, Gary hasn't called yet.

Playoffs
04-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Why is Derek Newton Still a Texan?

Because Newt's can come in handy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzYO0joolR0) sometimes.

Seegara
04-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Yea the recent signing of players like Ryan Fitzpatrick, I find myself confused regarding what O'Brien is up to, but nothing even comes close to wondering why Derek Newton is still a Texan. I can find no justification for keeping that guy around.

I have read posts calling for blood after last seasons disaster. Yet I hear no one calling for this guys head. Why not? Someone please explain this to me.

Why?
dumbness.

Nitrofish
04-05-2014, 02:58 AM

Seems hard to believe he would have made any performance incentives. I understand the money aspect of it, but you get what you pay for so why would you keep a guy just because he is cheap? If he can't play, then who cares if he is cheap? Lot's of other terrible, cheap players available. A bird in the hand?

Now using him at guard makes more sense although, guard play was not as much of a problem as the RT play. Having Newton as depth at right guard might be ok.

Basically, it is cheap to keep him, nothing more, nothing less.

Yes I get it, but as I said above, why keep a player who cannot play just because he is cheap?

I don't know what to think of newton. I saw some things technique wise that made me question John Benton as a line coach. Guys making the same mistakes over and over. Seems like the line got progressively worse under him.

Agreed

Two things:

1. We are probably drafting a RT and therefor Newton will be only depth

And

2. Maybe he was never suited for the ZBS and that was why he failed miserably?

Ok, but ZBS has nothing to do with pass protection right? I was not complaining about his ability to run block even though he was terrible at that also, I was specifically talking about pass protection. If Newton is playing for the Texans in 2014, I don't care who is back there. They are going to face constant pressure on the right side. Hopefully O'Brien is better at giving help to someone who is getting burned over and over if Newton remains a starter.

dumbness.

:mcnugget:

thunderkyss
04-05-2014, 07:43 AM
Now using him at guard makes more sense although, guard play was not as much of a problem as the RT play. Having Newton as depth at right guard might be ok.

I disagree that guard play was not the issue. The poor play at LG was probably more of the reason for DBrown's season than his toe (or whatever injury he was dealing with).

steelbtexan
04-05-2014, 09:28 AM

Benton is certainly no Alex Gibbs.

dream_team
04-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Because believe it or not, we drop Newton, and we're even worse at RT. We'd be left with Quess and Williams, two guys that have never played a snap of a regular season game (not even going to mention the question marks with Williams).

A better question would be why haven't we signed a veteran tackle as insurance yet?

CloakNNNdagger
04-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Seems hard to believe he would have made any performance incentives.

Most likely, those incentives were simply tied to games played specifically at RT. With his short arms, at the Draft for that reason Newton was deemed by many to project better at guard. Of course, the Texans have shown that they are willing to try short-armers at RT (Winston).

CloakNNNdagger
04-05-2014, 09:53 AM
I disagree that guard play was not the issue. The poor play at LG was probably more of the reason for DBrown's season than his toe (or whatever injury he was dealing with).

Yep, BOTH were definitely a problem. And his unrested turf toe was definitely a significant factor in Brown's down year. But Brown was forever looking to his right while cheating to the right to compensate Smith's poor play. That contributed to a decent share of the D managing to get outside and around Brown too often.

Lucky
04-05-2014, 10:18 AM
It's still the offseason, with the draft and June 1st cuts to go. Let's wait before we panic about the RT position. I'm sure O' Brien has something in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDEXAN
04-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Though certainly his play has been very inconsistant (and that's putting it mildly/politely), Newt is cheap and we are still very thin at OT. And BTW, it's not like the previous regime didn't try to shore up things at RT. They did draft Williams last year in the third round expecting him to be the next RT and another potential fix at RT in Quess and yet had the great misfortune of losing both for the season to injuries. We've got a long ways to go until September, we might end up with more possible candidates to play RT than we know what to do with.

DocBar
04-05-2014, 06:58 PM
Yep, BOTH were definitely a problem. And his unrested turf toe was definitely a significant factor in Brown's down year. But Brown was forever looking to his right while cheating to the right to compensate Smith's poor play. That contributed to a decent share of the D managing to get outside and around Brown too often.

It's still the offseason, with the draft and June 1st cuts to go. Let's wait before we panic about the RT position. I'm sure O' Brien has something in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAgree with both!!

thunderkyss
04-05-2014, 07:49 PM
If Newton wasn't here, everyone would know we were targeting Greg Robinson. That's the only thing that makes sense.

JB
04-05-2014, 07:56 PM
If Newton wasn't here, everyone would know we were targeting Greg Robinson. That's the only thing that makes sense.

:lol: You have a sense all your own...

ObsiWan
04-05-2014, 10:32 PM
You just HAD to go an blab!
:foottap:

DocBar
04-06-2014, 01:28 AM
If Newton wasn't here, everyone would know we were targeting Greg Robinson. That's the only thing that makes sense.Yeah, the Texans are going to draft a RT #1 overall. That's just silly. LOL

Nitrofish
04-06-2014, 01:40 AM
Most likely, those incentives were simply tied to games played specifically at RT. With his short arms, at the Draft for that reason Newton was deemed by many to project better at guard. Of course, the Texans have shown that they are willing to try short-armers at RT (Winston).

That would make sense. I could not figure out why they kept plugging him in there anyway when I felt like Harris was doing a better job than Newton.

I guess the short arms are the problem then because Winston while better than Newton at pass protection left a lot to be desired. Winston was certainly better in run blocking than Newton.

I sure hope you're right!

I don't see the Texans taking an OT 1:1 and the only way I see us ending up with Robinson is if we trade back, then it might be a possibility, but very low possibility. I think the Texans already have their board in place, and the only thing that will change it at this point is a blockbuster trade, which is still possible.

ObsiWan
04-06-2014, 02:16 AM
Yeah, the Texans are going to draft a RT #1 overall. That's just silly. LOLyou forgot the sarcasm smiley

ubecool454
04-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Newton was raw when he got here and maybe he never got coached up. He is a big guy and with the right coaching he could be a good player. You can't teach that kind of size and he did come from a small school.

ArlingtonTexan
04-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Yeah, the Texans are going to draft a RT #1 overall. That's just silly. LOL

with the amount of passing and the increasing number of teams that are attempting to use above average pass rushers from both sides (not just the blind side), I don't think having elite pass protecting OTs on both sides is as silly a notion as it would have been a decade ago.

DocBar
04-06-2014, 11:13 AM
you forgot the sarcasm smiley:toropalm::doghouse::sarcasm:

Happy? lol

thunderkyss
04-06-2014, 12:23 PM
with the amount of passing and the increasing number of teams that are attempting to use above average pass rushers from both sides (not just the blind side), I don't think having elite pass protecting OTs on both sides is as silly a notion as it would have been a decade ago.

& with the new CBA it opens the possibility to draft a lot of other positions. In the past, it was either a QB, LT, WR, DE, or CB because guys like Sam Bradford were coming into the league making more money than Tom Brady without ever throwing a pass.

Eric Fisher (last years #1 overall selection) had a cap number smaller than Eric Winstons had here in 2011. If people didn't have a problem paying Eric Winston $5M & would love to bring him back for $5M, it doesn't make sense to me not to draft Robinson.

& just because he plays RT doesn't make him a RT. He most likely will be better than Duane Brown when it's all said & done. People get all wet thinking about Jj Watt on one side & Clowney on the other. For me, thinking about Duane Brown on one side & Robinson on the other makes it wiggle.

We'll score on 80% of our possessions, or damn near. No matter how bad our defense is, it's going to be hard for other teams to keep up.

infantrycak
04-06-2014, 12:28 PM
We'll score on 80% of our possessions, or damn near. No matter how bad our defense is, it's going to be hard for other teams to keep up.

Without looking at anything name the top 5 RTs in the league?

thunderkyss
04-06-2014, 12:40 PM

Well theres... & ....

Again, I want to draft the best OT in the draft. If he's better than Brown..... he's better than Brown. If not, he's a RT & I'm fine with that, even if I can't name the five best in the league (kind of embarrassing that I was stumped at one though).

Actually, I want to draft the best player available, who is Watkins, but I think Robinson would help us more. I don't want Clowney or the QBs.

infantrycak
04-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Well theres... & ....

Again, I want to draft the best OT in the draft. If he's better than Brown..... he's better than Brown. If not, he's a RT & I'm fine with that, even if I can't name the five best in the league (kind of embarrassing that I was stumped at one though).

Actually, I want to draft the best player available, who is Watkins, but I think Robinson would help us more. I don't want Clowney or the QBs.

Well it's hard to judge what a great RT will do for a team or where they come from if they can't be named.

It also illustrates another consideration, not one that bars the pick but something to think about. Two WRs, DEs, LBs, DBs on a team can shine and get limelight. Julio Jones, Houshyourmama and Boldin are names casual fans know. Only the most fanatical fans know who the top RTs are and they essentially never get pro bowl or all pro accolades. A dude taken at 1.1 is going to want that plus it isn't just ego but bonuses are often tied to pro bowls and all pro selections so there is a very real monetary effect.

thunderkyss
04-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Well it's hard to judge what a great RT will do for a team or where they come from if they can't be named.

It also illustrates another consideration, not one that bars the pick but something to think about. Two WRs, DEs, LBs, DBs on a team can shine and get limelight. Julio Jones, Houshyourmama and Boldin are names casual fans know. Only the most fanatical fans know who the top RTs are and they essentially never get pro bowl or all pro accolades. A dude taken at 1.1 is going to want that plus it isn't just ego but bonuses are often tied to pro bowls and all pro selections so there is a very real monetary effect.

The casual fan probably can't name the top 5 offensive guards either, doesn't take away how important they can be for a football team. I'm saying the best OT in this draft will help our team, because I feel really good about what we have in Brown, Myers, & Brooks. & I think the best OT in the draft can help our QB, whoever he may be, get the time he needs to do his job. The best OT in the draft can help open holes for Foster & whoever his back up is going to be. The best OT in this draft will give all the receivers more time to get open.

And unlike the best DE in the draft, the best OT gives us depth at the LT position. If Jj Watt goes down, having Clowney isn't going to help us one bit. If Cushing gets hurt, I can see the best ILB taking his spot.

But still, I think the OT will have the biggest impact on our team.... it's not pretty, but this is football.

infantrycak
04-06-2014, 02:02 PM
The casual fan probably can't name the top 5 offensive guards either, doesn't take away how important they can be for a football team. I'm saying the best OT in this draft will help our team, because I feel really good about what we have in Brown, Myers, & Brooks. & I think the best OT in the draft can help our QB, whoever he may be, get the time he needs to do his job. The best OT in the draft can help open holes for Foster & whoever his back up is going to be. The best OT in this draft will give all the receivers more time to get open.

You see any OGs being taken at the top of the draft?

The 2nd best OT can't do any of those things you say the best will do?

I agree a solution at RT is one of the top priorities for this offseason. I just disagree with what you want to spend, your impact estimate and the rosy picture you paint of having Brown and Robinson as a tandem for any length of time.

The Pencil Neck
04-06-2014, 02:25 PM

^^^ This.

The NFL is constantly changing. A decade ago, I wouldn't have considered drafting a guy to play RT at 1-1.

But now?

It's affordable. If that's the position that's going to make the biggest impact, then go for it.

Lucky
04-06-2014, 02:43 PM
The NFL is constantly changing. A decade ago, I wouldn't have considered drafting a guy to play RT at 1-1.

But now?

It's affordable. If that's the position that's going to make the biggest impact, then go for it.
Maybe. If you have a franchise QB. Right now the Texans have Ryan Fitzpatrick and Case Keenum. Spending the 1st pick in the draft on an OT seems like the cart before the horse.

RT will not make the biggest impact. Not even Manning or Brady have 2 1st round picks at OT. And they are worth that investment. First things first. Get a QB worth protecting.

badboy
04-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Maybe. If you have a franchise QB. Right now the Texans have Ryan Fitzpatrick and Case Keenum. Spending the 1st pick in the draft on an OT seems like the cart before the horse.

RT will not make the biggest impact. Not even Manning or Brady have 2 1st round picks at OT. And they are worth that investment. First things first. Get a QB worth protecting.This is the problem for me as I don't want any of these QBs at 1-1 & if no other way would prob go Manziel. Look guys, Moses in 2nd or Jawuan James 3-1 resolves RT. So...1-1 ? 2-1 Garoppolo Qb 3-1 James :foottap:

The Pencil Neck
04-06-2014, 02:53 PM

RT will not make the biggest impact. Not even Manning or Brady have 2 1st round picks at OT. And they are worth that investment. First things first. Get a QB worth protecting.

If there's no franchise QB in the draft, why NOT create the strongest line possible? That way, our less-than-stellar QBs can do better work. AND when we do get our Franchise guy (assuming that we will), he won't get killed because of a porous line.

Manning and Brady don't NEED 2 1st round picks at OT. We don't have Manning or Brady and we're not going to get either of them in this draft. Ryan Fitzpatrick, otoh, could really use 2 1st round picks at OT.

I don't see a QB in this draft that's worth protecting. At least, not without a whole lot of development.

The Pencil Neck
04-06-2014, 02:57 PM
This is the problem for me as I don't want any of these QBs at 1-1 & if no other way would prob go Manziel. Look guys, Moses in 2nd or Jawuan James 3-1 resolves RT. So...1-1 ? 2-1 Garoppolo Qb 3-1 James :foottap:

If you go Robinson at 1-1 and Garoppolo at 2-1, then Garoppolo will be able to be developed without him worrying about someone getting a free-runner at him on every pass play. That way he won't get shell-shocked and turn into Blaine Gabbert or David Carr.

Although, frankly, I don't expect us to go Robinson 1-1 because I think OB likes Quess at RT.

But I don't think taking Robinson should be dismissed out of hand. It's a legitimate possibility.

badboy
04-06-2014, 03:03 PM
If you go Robinson at 1-1 and Garoppolo at 2-1, then Garoppolo will be able to be developed without him worrying about someone getting a free-runner at him on every pass play. That way he won't get shell-shocked and turn into Blaine Gabbert or David Carr.

Although, frankly, I don't expect us to go Robinson 1-1 because I think OB likes Quess at RT.

But I don't think taking Robinson should be dismissed out of hand. It's a legitimate possibility.anything solid to Q moving to RT? Still seems like LG but I have nothing from new staff to support. Also, if Q is RT who plays LG? Brandon Thomas at 4-1 would be perfect and he can play OT also.

steelbtexan
04-06-2014, 03:08 PM
I would have no problems with

1. Clowney
2.Moses
3.Savage

Although I really like Garappollo a lot.

Or

1.Clowney
2. Garappolo
3. Brandon Thomas

They may have to trade up a bit to get Thomas. I've got him in the 45-55 range. What would be the cost of moving up 10-12 spots into the 2nd rd?

The Pencil Neck
04-06-2014, 03:30 PM
anything solid to Q moving to RT? Still seems like LG but I have nothing from new staff to support. Also, if Q is RT who plays LG? Brandon Thomas at 4-1 would be perfect and he can play OT also.

No, nothing solid about Q to RT and they could just be looking for him to be LG. He is, however, someone that OB specifically mentioned so I'm pretty sure he's in their plans.

There are a bunch of good guards in this draft. I wouldn't mind Brandon Thomas, Cyril Richardson or Dakota Dozier in the middle rounds.

thunderkyss
04-06-2014, 03:31 PM
This is the problem for me as I don't want any of these QBs at 1-1 & if no other way would prob go Manziel. Look guys, Moses in 2nd or Jawuan James 3-1 resolves RT. So...1-1 ? 2-1 Garoppolo Qb 3-1 James :foottap:

Garoppolo will develop just fine behind Robinson & the rest of our OL

The Pencil Neck
04-06-2014, 03:33 PM
I would have no problems with

1. Clowney
2.Moses
3.Savage

Although I really like Garappollo a lot.

Or

1.Clowney
2. Garappolo
3. Brandon Thomas

They may have to trade up a bit to get Thomas. I've got him in the 45-55 range. What would be the cost of moving up 10-12 spots into the 2nd rd?

I wouldn't mind that second one. The first one... eh... if we're going to get Savage, I'm going to prefer him later in the draft. I think he's got a lot of work to do. I'm not sure his decision making is up to where OB wants it... although if he interviews well... He's tough to judge, though, because of the talent (or lack thereof) around him.

ObsiWan
04-06-2014, 10:38 PM
That's not a fair gauge. I can't name the top five centers in the game or come up with five LTs for that matter.
Guess I'm too Texans centric.

infantrycak
04-06-2014, 10:55 PM
That's not a fair gauge. I can't name the top five centers in the game or come up with five LTs for that matter.
Guess I'm too Texans centric.

My original intent was to see how the teams performed who he judged had the best RTs to see how they compared to his prediction.

ObsiWan
04-07-2014, 06:13 AM
While this list isn't RT-specific it is a ranking of the performance of every O-line's in 2013. We were middle of the pack.
Goodness knows how...
LINK (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/)
Rank. .Team. . PB . . RB . . PEN
32 . . AZ . . 32 . . 27 . . 22
31 . . JAX. . 23 . . 32 . . 29
30 . . ATL. . 30 . . 26 . . 18
29 . . OAK. . 21 . . 31 . . 32
28 . . NYG. . 31 . . 20 . . 4
27 . . SEA. . 25 . . 23 . . 30
26 . . NYJ. . 15 . . 30 . . 25
25 . . IND. . 28 . . 22 . . 13
24 . . TB . . 21 . . 25 . . 17 (yes, I dbl-chk'd, PFF have both TB & Oak rated 21st in PB (??)
23 . . BAL. . 20 . . 24 . . 27
22 . . BUF. . 11 . . 29 . . 7
21 . . MIA. . 14 . . 28 . . 11
20 . . KC . . 16 . . 23 . . 28
19 . . CHI. . 29 . . 11 . . 9
18 . . SD . . 24 . . 12 . . 23
17 . . TEN. . 26 . . 13 . . 8
16 . . HOU. . 27 . . 08 . . 21
15 . . PIT. . 12 . . 21 . . 14
14 . . NE . . 19 . . 15 . . 1
13 . . STL. . 17 . . 09 . . 26
12 . . CLE. . 06 . . 18 . . 20
11 . . NO . . 08 . . 16 . . 05
10 . . GB . . 03 . . 17 . . 16
09 . . SF . . 13 . . 03 . . 31
08 . . DET. . 05 . . 14 . . 1 (they did it again, NE & DET both #1 in Penalties - ??)
07 . . CAR. . 10 . . 07 . . 6
06 . . MIN. . 07 . . 06 . . 15
05 . . WAS. . 04 . . 10 . . 3
04 . . DAL. . 09 . . 02 . . 24
03 . . DEN. . 02 . . 04 . . 7
02 . . CIN. . 01 . . 05 . . 12
01 . . PHI. . 18 . . 01 . . 19
Okay, this make no sense either, how can being outside the top 15 in two of three categories make you rank higher than the line that's in the top ten in all three?? I'm losing confidence in PFF.

Another note I hate to bring up but Seattle's success seems to indicate a mobile QB can make up for a sucky O-line.

thunderkyss
04-07-2014, 07:48 AM
My original intent was to see how the teams performed who he judged had the best RTs to see how they compared to his prediction.

I'm not looking at the position so much as the OL as a whole. If we were drafting later (say 10-15) I might be pumping the best guard in this draft opposed to the 4th-5th best tackle.

Two badasses on the OL is better than 1. Three is better than 2. & last year, our badass was gimpy. Maybe Brooks turns into a badass in his own right. Chances of that happening is better, I think, with better talent next to him.

The idea of adding someone to this OL who may be better than Duane Brown excites the crap out of me. If you're sitting there at the top of the draft & have your pick of the best of the best, it doesn't make sense not to draft someone because "you're good" at one position or another. QB I can understand.

If you have your QB, you don't go taking one that "might" be better. If you need a QB, you take one, if there is one graded 7 or higher.

If you can't trade down & you question Clowney's work ethic, or his bone spurs, or whether he'll be able to change positions, you take either Watkins or Robinson. I like Watkins, but I think Robinson will help the team a lot more.

But I'm just a guy. You don't have to agree with me.

thunderkyss
04-07-2014, 07:59 AM
LINK (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/)
Rank. .Team. . PB . . RB . . PEN
05 . . WAS. . 04 . . 10 . . 3
04 . . DAL. . 09 . . 02 . . 24
03 . . DEN. . 02 . . 04 . . 7
02 . . CIN. . 01 . . 05 . . 12
01 . . PHI. . 18 . . 01 . . 19

Interesting.

Cincinnatti is #2, with the best pass blocking & 5th best run blocking OLs. Dalton has gone to the play offs three times. Can't win a game, but they've been three times. That's at least three winning seasons.

But then you've got Dallas & Washington in the top 5. Washington, I know their QB had some issues, but their back up is "supposed" to be pretty good as well.

Dallas.... well, just saying, Romo reminds me an awful lot of one of the QBs in this draft. I love to watch him play, but I'm glad he's not on my team.

ObsiWan
04-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Interesting.

Cincinnatti is #2, with the best pass blocking & 5th best run blocking OLs. Dalton has gone to the play offs three times. Can't win a game, but they've been three times. That's at least three winning seasons.

But then you've got Dallas & Washington in the top 5. Washington, I know their QB had some issues, but their back up is "supposed" to be pretty good as well.

Dallas.... well, just saying, Romo reminds me an awful lot of one of the QBs in this draft. I love to watch him play, but I'm glad he's not on my team.
I'm still trying to figure out PFF's logic in putting Philly at #1 when they have two of three categories outside the top 15 when Denver has all three categories inside the top ten?

Lucky
04-07-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm losing confidence in PFF.

Another note I hate to bring up but Seattle's success seems to indicate a mobile QB can make up for a sucky O-line.

You have to take these websites analysis with a more than a grain of salt. And I agree about the QB. Unless you have a coach-on-the-field type like Manning or Brady, a mobile QB is an o-lines best friend. BTW, all 3 of the top QBs in this draft are mobile.

Marshall
04-07-2014, 10:10 PM

Why?

Some players who struggle as Tackles do well as guards. Perhaps OB wants to see if he can transition into another role? There is a little too much all or nothing with players around here. Most players aren't stars and that doesn't mean they should be drawn and quartered because they aren't. Of course you'd never know it by looking at these boards. There is no middle ground here.

IT'S A GAME, NOT LIFE OR DEATH! Get some perspective.

Texan_Bill
04-07-2014, 10:47 PM

:thinking:

Could be................ Or not! :kitten:

DocBar
04-07-2014, 11:38 PM
My original intent was to see how the teams performed who he judged had the best RTs to see how they compared to his prediction.hmmmm\

ObsiWan
04-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Marcus http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2322294#post2322294)
:thinking:

Could be................ Or not! :kitten:
It's not just us who think he's bad...

16. Houston Texans (10th)
PB: 27th, RB: 8th, PEN: 21st
Stud: He wasn’t as good as last year, but left tackle Duane Brown (+14.6) still had a useful year. We expect an athlete like him to do a little more in the run game.
Dud: It’s hard to imagine Bill O’Brien sticking with Derek Newton (-24.3). If you could give him a pass last year, then this year there were no excuses.
Analysis: A line that has talent but didn’t always live up to it. Wade Smith remains a player not matching the high expectations he created in his first year, while the right tackle spot is just a mess at this point. The good news is Brandon Brooks is coming along nicely, but you do wonder if a change in offensive schemes might leave some players out of place.

From RotoWorld; this ranking is going into last season. The number is parenthesis was our rank going into 2012...
12. Houston Texans (5)

2012 Run Block Rankings: 13, 9
2012 Pass Block Rankings: 11, 9

LT: Duane Brown (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4852/Duane-Brown)
LG: Wade Smith (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/1249/Wade-Smith)
C: Chris Myers (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/3373/Chris-Myers)
RG: Ben Jones (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/7561/Ben-Jones)
RT: Derek Newton (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/6716/Derek-Newton)
Super Sub: OT Ryan Harris (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4457/Ryan-Harris)

Overview: Although Houston's 2012 front five drew strong marks across the board and returns every starter, this is not quite a question mark-free line. Brown and Myers remain top-notch starters, but both Smith and Newton are coming off knee surgery. Smith is 32 and entering his decline. Newton was the Texans' biggest up-front liability last season, getting overpowered in the run game and playing a big role in Arian Foster (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5469/Arian-Foster)'s career-worst 4.06 YPC average. Newton will be pushed by Harris and 2013 third-rounder Brennan Williams (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/8521/Brennan-Williams). Line play is still a plus for this offense, but the group has weaknesses and can no longer be considered among the NFL's elite.

Nitrofish
04-08-2014, 03:13 AM
Some players who struggle as Tackles do well as guards. Perhaps OB wants to see if he can transition into another role? There is a little too much all or nothing with players around here. Most players aren't stars and that doesn't mean they should be drawn and quartered because they aren't. Of course you'd never know it by looking at these boards. There is no middle ground here.

IT'S A GAME, NOT LIFE OR DEATH! Get some perspective.

Oh really? Name 5 who struggled at tackle but were given a chance on the same team that succeeded at guard.

I never said nor implied it was life or death, so telling me to get some perspective makes no sense. I asked why a player who is obviously less than average is still on the team. And while I realize your comments were not necessarily directed at me, I never said anyone was going to die, or that they should be drawn and quartered. I suggested that the player in question should be cut. All NFL players are stars, that is why they are in the NFL and not delivering pizzas, so perhaps it is you who needs some perspective.

You're right on one thing though, there is no middle ground on this or any other message board, and your comments prove there is no shortage of over the top drama either. IT'S A MESSAGE BOARD, NOT LIFE OR DEATH! Get some perspective.

Reading all of the opinions is pretty funny, because the same people who are saying oh give him another chance, or maybe he would be better at guard are the same people who said they wanted blood with other players who failed less miserably than Newton has over the last few years, but now, with a guy who clearly deserves to get the axe, it's all butterflies and rainbows. :butterfly:

What happened to all the "We don't want losers on our team" attitude? Newton fits that bill and then some, why waste more time trying him at guard when he has proven to be sub standard? When you take out the garbage, you take it all out. You do not leave a bag here or there.

Those saying he may not make it past camp make sense, but that is just another excuse. Plenty of other bodies out there. Just because he is still employed by the Texans should not figure into it. You send a message to the locker room that sub par pay will not be tolerated, and you cut the guy.

infantrycak
04-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Oh really? Name 5 who struggled at tackle but were given a chance on the same team that succeeded at guard.

Robert Gallery and Tony Manderich immediately come to mind.

From possibly the greatest OL over a decade, the 90s Cowboys line - Nate Newton, Larry Allen and Kevin Gogan all played both OT and OG.

One every Texan fan should know - Chester Pitts. Actually another every Texan fan should know - Zach Wiegert.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
04-08-2014, 09:17 PM

From possibly the greatest OL over a decade, the 90s Cowboys line - Nate Newton, Larry Allen and Kevin Gogan all played both OT and OG.

One every Texan fan should know - Chester Pitts. Actually another every Texan fan should know - Zach Wiegert.

Sometimes I feel Chester was under appreciated. He was definitely a master of all the OLINE trade.

Texan_Bill
04-08-2014, 09:47 PM
WHY THE PHYCKE DID the NFL move the draft back to May??? (while not immediately related to this thread, still related to this thread). It encompasses replacements for our RT via draft, FA or otherwise.

Now that the Final Four is over and and there is a National Champ, I don't have any other sports to keep me occupied (i.e. Rockets & 'Stros - THANK YOU COMCAST!!!) until the draft.

Nitrofish
04-09-2014, 01:17 AM

OK so you are saying those players sucked as bad as Newton at Tackle (Not possible!), were then demoted to guards on the same team and succeeded?

Even if that is true, you will have to admit, there are far more failures than success stories in this arena... most teams just cut the player and move on.

I honestly cannot believe any of you are defending Newton. But I think this is my point. You guys rail on certain players or coaches, but then want to give a pass to Newton. Madness!

As horrible as Newton played for the last two seasons, there should be no question that regardless of your perceived potential for Newton at guard, he should not make the 53 man roster, and should be joining other failures on the unemployment line.

infantrycak
04-09-2014, 01:59 AM
OK so you are saying those players sucked as bad as Newton at Tackle (Not possible!), were then demoted to guards on the same team and succeeded?

As horrible as Newton played for the last two seasons, there should be no question that regardless of your perceived potential for Newton at guard, he should not make the 53 man roster, and should be joining other failures on the unemployment line.

No, but that wasn't what you asked.

In any event, all I (and I believe several others) are saying is there is something in between starter and the street. There is zero reason to cut him right now. Might as well let him compete to make the 53 as a backup. Gotta have depth also, not just starters.

beerlover
04-09-2014, 02:17 AM
maybe a change in coaching & scheme helps him out plus being fully healthy & three years NFL experience for a 7th rd. draft pick he could actually become a decent starting RT. Personally I hope he does, good for him, good for Texans & we don't have to upgrade position high in this years draft. Did I mention he is cheap? :cheese:

thunderkyss
04-09-2014, 08:30 AM
WHY THE PHYCKE DID the NFL move the draft back to May???

Apparently for no reason (http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/6039/nfl-draft-needs-to-be-moved-up-not-back)...

The NFL pushed the draft back this year because Radio City Music Hall was booked up with "Heart and Lights," a spring show featuring the Rockettes slated to run from March 27 through May 4.

The production was scrapped just a week before the curtain was to rise. Producers told the Rockettes "additional work is needed" before the show was ready to be seen by audiences.

So 256 college football players will still have their names called at the NFL draft, but on May 8-10 instead of later this month.

But cheer up laddy...... the NBA play-offs are about to start & ComCast ain't got no say in that.

BullNation4Life
04-09-2014, 02:36 PM
WHY THE PHYCKE DID the NFL move the draft back to May???

Isn't that sweeps month? April 24th - May 21. ESPN wants a big prime time ratings boost...

so the rumor goes...

Nitrofish
04-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Isn't that sweeps month? April 24th - May 21. ESPN wants a big prime time ratings boost...

so the rumor goes...

Goodell said the change was needed next year because the venue, Radio City Music Hall, will host an Easter show in April. So much for rumors.

"We're actually getting bumped by the Easter Bunny. They're going to have an Easter show. We'll be prepared for that," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in 2013 on "The Rich Eisen Podcast."

Playoffs
06-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli
"We've been pleased with his progress, no doubt about it," O'Brien says on Derek Newton. #Texans

"Derek Newton's our starting righ tackle. He's had a good offseason," O'Brien said. #Texans

badboy
06-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Tania Ganguli @taniaganguliGreat! I defended Newton for two seasons and I hope he really comes back healthy & becomes the starter I hoped he'd be. Now if Williams can miraculously recover...

Nitrofish
06-13-2014, 03:35 PM
Newton is the starter? :mcnugget:

CloakNNNdagger
06-13-2014, 04:33 PM
I'm not surprised. He had too many negative factors for the most part out of his control, to be fairly evaluated.

chicagotexan2
06-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Great! I defended Newton for two seasons and I hope he really comes back healthy & becomes the starter I hoped he'd be. Now if Williams can miraculously recover...

Newton is to Pass Blocking what Bullock is to FG Kicking.

xtruroyaltyx
06-13-2014, 05:04 PM
I like Newton's ability...

I think that injury last year and some technique issues really plagued him.

But the guy has the ability and physical traits to be a good RT in the league.

False Start
06-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Newton =

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50272595/Tripod_Turnstile.jpg

badboy
06-13-2014, 05:32 PM
Newton is to Pass Blocking what Bullock is to FG Kicking.You clearly show that you either did not know about his injuries or just chose to ignore them. I am not saying he would have been great if healthy but would have been serviceable while he continued to learn. Also who lined up next to him at OG was nothing to write home about. Brooks did better as 2012 wore on but he was in Kubiak's dog house for reporting as a circus tent rather than a football player. Remember Mike Brisiel left after 2011 the year Newton was drafted (7th round) and was replaced at RG by a fat Brandon Brooks in 2012. Brooks could not beat out Ben Jones (college center) & who started most games. Brooks missed games due to toe injury 2013 but played at about 335. He is now about 325. He goes down and DB gains 20.

A slimmer Brooks will also benefit a slimmer Newton in his second full season as a starter. A stronger Brown and X now at LG should give us a much better Oline. Arian Foster says Namaste :fostering:

xtruroyaltyx
06-13-2014, 05:34 PM
Is Brooks back at RG?

Last thing I remember seeing was him at LG....

The Pencil Neck
06-13-2014, 05:53 PM
Is Brooks back at RG?

Um... I don't recall him being at LG.

drs23
06-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Is Brooks back at RG?

Pretty sure. O'Brien mentioned that Ben Jones has been taking the reps at LG.

Marshall
06-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Newton is to Pass Blocking what Bullock is to FG Kicking.

Good! Then we won't have any problems at right tackle.

Troy Chapman
06-13-2014, 07:37 PM
Is Brooks back at RG?

I think the reason we saw Brooks at LG in OTA's was that Sua'Filo is still in school. I fully expect B. Brooks back at RG come training camp.

Insideop
06-14-2014, 10:26 PM
I think the reason we saw Brooks at LG in OTA's was that Sua'Filo is still in school. I fully expect B. Brooks back at RG come training camp.

Did Su'a-Filo miss all the OTA's? Will he be there for Mini Camp this week?

I can't imagine being in school this long unless he's taking a summer semester, which, to me, would be pretty foolish on his part.

The Pencil Neck
06-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Did Su'a-Filo miss all the OTA's? Will he be there for Mini Camp this week?

There are several schools, UCLA and Stanford at least, who graduate their classes very late. Because of the NFL rules, they can't attend the OTAs. I think they can attend the rookie mini-camp but I'm not sure.

But it's my understanding that he should be here for Mini-Camp.

xtruroyaltyx
06-15-2014, 01:21 AM

Was he there during ota's? I know he was there at some point.

I don't understand why they'd put him there if they intended to play x at lg and brooks at right...

I thought brooks was at lg sometime before the draft. I never saw anything else about where they were lining up.

If he was at lg after x was drafted, then I think they are at least considering him for lg. Oline is a position group where you king of want to get your starters locked in. Don't wanna be moving guys all over. Unit continuity with the OL is probably more important than any other position group.

76Texan
06-15-2014, 10:08 AM

I don't understand why they'd put him there if they intended to play x at lg and brooks at right...

I thought brooks was at lg sometime before the draft. I never saw anything else about where they were lining up.

If he was at lg after x was drafted, then I think they are at least considering him for lg. Oline is a position group where you king of want to get your starters locked in. Don't wanna be moving guys all over. Unit continuity with the OL is probably more important than any other position group.

I saw Brooks play RG in college a bunch.
I'm pretty sure he played some LG in his Jr year.
(And I think I read somewhere that he also played OT).

drs23
06-15-2014, 11:54 AM

They're allowed to participate in ROOKIE camp. Pretty sure that's when we saw him. Then back to graduate. He should be back for mandatory but has fallen way behind so will stick to guard and not guard & tackle like O'Brien wanted to do. Don't have a link but IIRC that was an exchange between John Harris an Marc Vand'mr on "Inside The Huddle" a few weeks back.

CloakNNNdagger
06-15-2014, 12:27 PM
I saw Brooks play RG in college a bunch.
I'm pretty sure he played some LG in his Jr year.
(And I think I read somewhere that he also played OT).

Redshirted in 2007. Was Miami’s Freshman of the Year in ’08 after starting all 12 games at left guard and grading out at 81 percent with 70 knockdowns. Moved to left tackle in ’09 and started all 12 games. Played in nine games in ’10, making two starts at left tackle and the final five games at left guard. Saw action in only two of the first seven games because of a pulled hamstring. Sat out ’11 spring drills with an injury but made all 12 starts at right guard in the fall.
link (http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/brandon-brooks-56/)

Playoffs
06-15-2014, 12:30 PM
To encourage more prospects to finish their spring classes, the NFL doesn't allow a rookie to participate in team activities -- except for a team's three-day rookie minicamp -- until his spring semester's classes and final exams are completed.

The NFL rule applies whether the draft pick was enrolled for spring classes or not, so there's no incentive for draft hopefuls to drop out of classes.
X was at rookie minicamp, but missed 10 days of OTAs.

I'm not sure that missed time disqualifies him from taking some reps at RT -- he excelled as a T at UCLA, setting record for most starts on offense by a true freshman... 2012: started 14 games at LG but played some LT... 2013: started 7 games at LG and 7 games at LT winning Morris Award for best lineman in PAC12 and was UCLA's offensive MVP.

I think he has the classic OG body, but wouldn't be surprised to see him get reps at RT and even at C. He's a mature, serious young man.

xtruroyaltyx
06-15-2014, 05:53 PM
They're allowed to participate in ROOKIE camp. Pretty sure that's when we saw him. Then back to graduate. He should be back for mandatory but has fallen way behind so will stick to guard and not guard & tackle like O'Brien wanted to do. Don't have a link but IIRC that was an exchange between John Harris an Marc Vand'mr on "Inside The Huddle" a few weeks back.

My bad I wasn't clear. The "him" I was talking about was brooks and the "there" was the lg spot.

I can't remember where that info came from and I'm too lazy to look. Can't remember if it was a photo, a tweet or from the team themselves...or maybe my mind made it up.

But I could've sworn brooks was repping at lg before the draft....and since then I hadn't seen anything with regards to where guys were lining up.

Troy Chapman
06-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Su'A Filo should be at camp this week, he should already be in town. UCLA graduates on the quarters system, their graduation was this past Friday. Xavier apparently had an iPad with him since the rookie mini camp. He was able to attend one rookie mini-camp but that is it. That's why he hasn't signed his contract and wasn't at OTA's.

Luck went through the same thing coming out of Stanford a few years ago.