PDA

View Full Version : Andre Johnson believes in Devier Posey

htownfan32
04-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Read the full story: http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/texans-3rd-wr-could-already-be-roster

I think before he had that injury man, we saw the flashes in practice. You noticed he got more playing time and stuff like that, Johnson said. You know guys were actually rooting for him to get on the field. Wed see him in practice we were like, 'Coach, you got to put him out there.'"

After returning so quickly, Posey struggled through the 2013 season physically and this year could be back to the player teammates were campaigning to get on the field back in 2012.

I think the best is yet to come for him, Johnson said confidently. I think hes going to have a breakout year this year. Hes finally healthy and hes not worried about the Achilles and hes just ready to go.

Thorn
04-01-2014, 09:26 PM
I hope he does well. It will be interesting to see who is throwing to him this year.

thunderkyss
04-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Read the full story: http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/texans-3rd-wr-could-already-be-roster

Y'know, after his second 2-14 season, I'm about ready to hear Andre tear somebody a new colon.

Not Devier per se, but somebody.

Dude's just too good to be true.

TEXANRED
04-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Y'know, after his second 2-14 season, I'm about ready to hear Andre tear somebody a new colon.

Not Devier per se, but somebody.

Dude's just too good to be true.

He's not the only one. 3 #1 picks in 12 years? I am a die hard Oiler fan, even the Oilers would be a juggernaut once every 10 years, not 2 good seasons out of 12 then rebuild for 4 more.

I am on the verge of telling this organization and the NFL to kiss my ass and take up competitive crochet. At lest AJ can go cry into his big bag of money.

beerlover
04-01-2014, 10:58 PM
problem is, Devier injury history, see no reason to think different until proven otherwise. medical team has done a poor job for this organization that I'm sure richly rewards them since inception. if they draft another injury prone player with a known medical condition I'll scream :overreact:

EVOLVIST
04-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Andre Johnson
DeAndre Hopkins
Devier Posey
Alec Lemon
*** New guy ***

htownfan32
04-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Andre Johnson
DeAndre Hopkins
Devier Posey
Alec Lemon
*** New guy ***

Lemon is still on the practice squad?

Brandon420tx
04-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Honestly I want to see Bonner in the slot

thunderkyss
04-01-2014, 11:20 PM
problem is, Devier injury history, see no reason to think different until proven otherwise. medical team has done a poor job for this organization that I'm sure richly rewards them since inception. if they draft another injury prone player with a known medical condition I'll scream :overreact:

& Devier isn't a slot receiver. He's an outside guy, like Andre & DeAndre. Fully healthy, I can see a 3 WR formation with those guys putting real pressure on a defense, & I'm looking forward to seeing those three guys on the field at the same time... but when our new coach says we're looking for a slot receiver because we don't have one, I think he's looking for something different than the guys we do have.

Bulls on Parade
04-02-2014, 12:19 AM
Andre Johnson
DeAndre Hopkins
Devier Posey
Alec Lemon
*** New guy ***
Keshawn Martin is still with the team the last time I checked.

Dutchrudder
04-02-2014, 01:38 AM
Ok, but does he have an "aura" about him?

sandman
04-02-2014, 04:46 AM
He's not the only one. 3 #1 picks in 12 years? I am a die hard Oiler fan, even the Oilers would be a juggernaut once every 10 years, not 2 good seasons out of 12 then rebuild for 4 more.

I am on the verge of telling this organization and the NFL to kiss my ass and take up competitive crochet. At lest AJ can go cry into his big bag of money.

Then do it. Every fan wants their team to go to the Super Bowl. Every year. No matter that it is completely illogical. That is what makes us fans.

I moved to Houston in 2003 after the expansion season. I saw a team start from scratch and get to 7-9 in their third year, before their head coach and quarterback were exposed for going as far as they were going to go.

I saw the next head coach and quarterback take a 2-14 back on the track to being a .500 team then improve on to a division winner with playoff wins over a seven year span. Then I saw that head coach and quarterback have their limitations exposed as well and took the team as far as they could.

At any point did the Texans come close to the Super Bowl? No. Have I seen progressions and improvements within each regime and with the regime changes? Obviously yes.

And quite frankly, if you don't say yes, you're just being blinded by your hatred of <insert Kubiak/Smith/McNair> or because of you're unrealistic expectation that it is the norm for an expansion team to reach the Super Bowl within 10 years of existence.

Kubiak didn't take over a consistent 2-14 team. He took over an emerging team that had it's limitations at HC/QB exposed in one cruel season and took it back on the upward trajectory.

OB is not taking over a consistent 2-14 team either. He took over a good team that had it's limitations at HC/QB exposed in one cruel season.

But that doesn't fit the narrative of the cursed Houston sports fan suffering with a "2-14" team...

CloakNNNdagger
04-02-2014, 06:40 AM
AJ has had a knack for coming out in support of players that go on to fade deeply into dark holes. Posey is not a slot reciever. Even in college, he was known to hear hoof beats coming across the middle, losing all physicality in that position. He also did not handle being bumped at the line very well. Coming off of his Achilles, he may never regain his sudden burst or ability to make sudden changes in direction. With his 4.50 40, I don't know that his long game in the softer college game will ever translate into the NFL.

thunderkyss
04-02-2014, 08:36 AM
And quite frankly, if you don't say yes, you're just being blinded by your hatred of <insert Kubiak/Smith/McNair> or because of you're unrealistic expectation that it is the norm for an expansion team to reach the Super Bowl within 10 years of existence.

But that doesn't fit the narrative of the cursed Houston sports fan suffering with a "2-14" team...

right, they're adding the Oiler's failure to win an AFC Championship game to the Texans.

_King_
04-02-2014, 09:15 AM
I like Devier too.

I like our receiving corps as a whole...except for Keyshawn Martin. Not a fan.

EVOLVIST
04-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Keshawn Martin is still with the team the last time I checked.

Yeah, and I'm saying he won't be. Lemon will be elevated. There's a reason he was fake IR. Get Lemon in practice with a new regime and Martin is as good as gone. If OB is true to his word it won't matter where a player was drafted.

I'm not even sure Posey is safe. He's great after the catch but gets very little separation.

Then again, in all fairness, I've thought for a long time that Larry Kirksey wasn't getting the job done as WR coach...so we might see a difference in performance across the board with a change (I hope).

ArlingtonTexan
04-02-2014, 09:31 AM
3rd WR does not always mean slot WR...i.e. a little quick guy or TE spread out. In fact, if anything more teams probably don't have a 3rd WR like Wes welker than do. Plenty of ways that a Posey, AJ, Hopkins trio could operate without one of them being what is now thought of a 'true" slot player.

_King_
04-02-2014, 09:38 AM
3rd WR does not always mean slot WR...i.e. a little quick guy or TE spread out. In fact, if anything more teams probably don't have a 3rd WR like Wes welker than do. Plenty of ways that a Posey, AJ, Hopkins trio could operate without one of them being what is now thought of a 'true" slot player.

O'Brien is the one who said he doesn't think the team has a true slot reciever at this point.

Slot guys come in many forms, but all that matters is what form OB wants.

Double Barrel
04-02-2014, 10:17 AM

I was a huge Oilers fan, as well. But, if we are honest with ourselves, the Oilers really accomplished jack squat in four decades. Their peak was Luv Ya Blue years when they went to back-to-back AFC Championship games. They certainly accomplished nothing notable in 7 straight playoff years with the run-and-shoot team. Heck, if anything, they left us with deep emotional scars from choking away leads in playoff games with one of the most talented rosters in the NFL at the time.

In all honesty, you've got to let the Oilers history go if you are going to truly embrace the Texans as a fan. I had to do it, others the same, or you end up bringing bitterness to a team that does not deserve it and certainly did not earn it.

We have a good owner with Bob McNair. He has built a first class franchise with regards to how they operate and the facilities, not to mention fan service and how much respect they seem to have for the Texans fan base.

Winning is a process. If it was easy, everyone would do it, right? I'm a cynical person, so I get what you're saying, but you have to give the new regime a chance before giving up completely. I know you were probably joking, but just figured I'd comment as I know where you're coming from and would hate to see you miss out on something special in the next few years.

[/off topic] :foottap:

revan
04-02-2014, 10:21 AM
& Devier isn't a slot receiver. He's an outside guy, like Andre & DeAndre. Fully healthy, I can see a 3 WR formation with those guys putting real pressure on a defense, & I'm looking forward to seeing those three guys on the field at the same time... but when our new coach says we're looking for a slot receiver because we don't have one, I think he's looking for something different than the guys we do have.

You are right, Posey was never a true slot WR. Depending on the type of offense BOB runs I don't see him or Martin having a future past next year here. I like Posey though, he can have a Lance Moore type of impact but, again, I have no idea what BOB's offense will look like in the NFL.

The Pencil Neck
04-02-2014, 10:36 AM
You are right, Posey was never a true slot WR. Depending on the type of offense BOB runs I don't see him or Martin having a future past next year here. I like Posey though, he can have a Lance Moore type of impact but, again, I have no idea what BOB's offense will look like in the NFL.

Well.

Imagine the New England offense without Tom Brady and I think we have a starting spot.

El Tejano
04-02-2014, 10:39 AM
So the team was campaigning for Posey and Kubiak was still limiting Posey? Wow! Says alot.

ArlingtonTexan
04-02-2014, 10:50 AM
O'Brien is the one who said he doesn't think the team has a true slot reciever at this point.

Slot guys come in many forms, but all that matters is what form OB wants.

just got around to reading the town hall stuff..so gotcha

CuseFan
04-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Lemon is still on the practice squad?

Lemon was on IR last year -- think he makes a push for the slot position this summer. That's his natural spot.

CloakNNNdagger
04-02-2014, 12:04 PM
Lemon was on IR last year -- think he makes a push for the slot position this summer. That's his natural spot.

Lemon at Syracuse was used both as a slot and wide receiver. He really doesn't have speed. But due to his superior route running, he was virtually unstoppable as a slot. I see him as big slot/possession version of Wes Welker.

Even though at first the Texans put him on IR for an "unnamed injury," the "unnamed injury" ends up being a right hamstring tear. He's had plenty of time to recover/rehab and hopefully it does not become a recurrent problem.

ArlingtonTexan
04-02-2014, 12:43 PM

The late draft pick a bonner also seems like stereotypical slot.

infantrycak
04-02-2014, 01:10 PM

Yes. I hope he doesn't go overlooked in this process. OB's comments may have been limited to those with game tape, i.e. Keyshawn ain't it.

EVOLVIST
04-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Lemon at Syracuse was used both as a slot and wide receiver. He really doesn't have speed. But due to his superior route running, he was virtually unstoppable as a slot. I see him as big slot/possession version of Wes Welker.

Even though at first the Texans put him on IR for an "unnamed injury," the "unnamed injury" ends up being a right hamstring tear. He's had plenty of time to recover/rehab and hopefully it does not become a recurrent problem.

Don't forget his hands. Unlike Martin that kid, Lemon, doesn't drop many. Doesn't have alligator arms and he can take a hit with his size. Average 40 time a 4.56, although his best unofficial 40 time was 4.49 (for what it's worth). I've always liked him and he tore it up last preseason.

Still, you're right, he's not a burner, and I suspect the Texans are going to draft one come May.

CloakNNNdagger
04-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Don't forget his hands. Unlike Martin that kid, Lemon, doesn't drop many. Doesn't have alligator arms and he can take a hit with his size. Average 40 time a 4.56, although his best unofficial 40 time was 4.49 (for what it's worth). I've always liked him and he tore it up last preseason.

Still, you're right, he's not a burner, and I suspect the Texans are going to draft one come May.

That's why I included "possession" in his description.:highfive:

thunderkyss
04-02-2014, 02:01 PM
So the team was campaigning for Posey and Kubiak was still limiting Posey? Wow! Says alot.

I didn't get that from what Andre said at all. I thought he said teh Achilles was still a concern for Posey last season, but that's behind him now, he won't be slowed down by thinking about his Achilles in 2014.

Typical?? I don't know about that, but yeah... I think he fits the definition we're all thinking about.

I do tend to forget about him.

_King_
04-02-2014, 02:16 PM

Lots and lots of Bonner plays: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeT7i7A5G_E

Looks like much more of a football player than Keyshawn Martin, whom I don't think should make the team...And at best is a bottom depth chart wr.

JB
04-02-2014, 02:22 PM
How would Sammy Watkins look in the slot?

thunderkyss
04-02-2014, 02:27 PM
How would Sammy Watkins look in the slot?

I think with Andre, DeAndre, & Watkins they'll each switch in & out of that slot position & really fck up some DBs.

Those three can be really, really good at all three positions.

JB
04-02-2014, 02:38 PM
I think with Andre, DeAndre, & Watkins they'll each switch in & out of that slot position & really fck up some DBs.

Kinda my thinking. AJ has always done well out of the slot, tho you don't want to leave him there all the time. With a running game like Foster will hopefully deliver would be a nightmare for defenses with those 3 at WR. Add in a quality TE or two, BOOM!

Of course that is predicated on having a QB that can get them the ball

The Pencil Neck
04-02-2014, 03:05 PM

That's what I've been saying. I doubt they'll go in that direction but... man... I think that would be awesome.

Norg
04-02-2014, 03:19 PM
lets believe in Hopkins cuz hes pretty much yeahhhh our #1 pick LOL

_King_
04-02-2014, 03:22 PM
That's what I've been saying. I doubt they'll go in that direction but... man... I think that would be awesome.

Who's throwing them the ball?

_King_
04-02-2014, 03:23 PM
lets believe in Hopkins cuz hes pretty much yeahhhh our #1 pick LOL

What?

The Pencil Neck
04-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Who's throwing them the ball?

Tajh Boyd... who was Sammy and Deandre's QB at Clemson? :kitten:

At first, Fitzpatrick. Next year, who knows. But that trio could make a decent QB look pretty good.

ArlingtonTexan
04-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Typical?? I don't know about that, but yeah... I think he fits the definition we're all thinking about.

I think you just said what I already said...no harm form me btw.

Norg
04-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Tajh Boyd... who was Sammy and Deandre's QB at Clemson? :kitten:

At first, Fitzpatrick. Next year, who knows. But that trio could make a decent QB look pretty good.

We can become Clemson SOUTH :P

DocBar
04-02-2014, 07:25 PM
we can become clemson west :pfify.

ObsiWan
04-02-2014, 07:45 PM
yep. you've been waiving the Watkins banner since we started talking draft talk. It wouldn't hurt my heart to snag him either.

htownfan32
04-02-2014, 10:27 PM

If you saw my "no QB in the first" mock in the mock section (you might have) you'd probably enjoy it. I picked Watkins for the hell of it and to be honest, the idea is rubbing off on me more and more recently.

The Pencil Neck
04-02-2014, 10:50 PM
If you saw my "no QB in the first" mock in the mock section (you might have) you'd probably enjoy it. I picked Watkins for the hell of it and to be honest, the idea is rubbing off on me more and more recently.

When I first suggested Watkins, it was just as a "wouldn't it be crazy" kinda idea. And I even posted it as a Hopkins-Watkins-Boyd reunion.

The more I think about taking Watkins, the more I like it.

I just don't think there's any way they actually do it. It's a move that smacks of the Millen-era Lions.

infantrycak
04-02-2014, 10:55 PM
I just don't think there's any way they actually do it. It's a move that smacks of the Millen-era Lions.

Not to me. They only kept doing it because they kept failing at getting even one credible WR.

Wolf6151
04-03-2014, 02:47 AM
When I first suggested Watkins, it was just as a "wouldn't it be crazy" kinda idea. And I even posted it as a Hopkins-Watkins-Boyd reunion.

The more I think about taking Watkins, the more I like it.

To me there are only 2 can't miss players at the top of the 1st round, Watkins and Robinson, and while Watkins wouldn't fix any of our big holes he sure would create one of the best WR corp. in the NFL, maybe the best. As long as we could fix the O-line issues, RT and LG, we could have a very potent offense even with Fitzpatrick at QB. He's definitely worth giving heavy consideration at 1.1

aussie_texan
04-07-2014, 01:05 AM
To me there are only 2 can't miss players at the top of the 1st round, Watkins and Robinson, and while Watkins wouldn't fix any of our big holes he sure would create one of the best WR corp. in the NFL, maybe the best. As long as we could fix the O-line issues, RT and LG, we could have a very potent offense even with Fitzpatrick at QB. He's definitely worth giving heavy consideration at 1.1

when was the last time a WR was taken first overall??

The Pencil Neck
04-07-2014, 01:12 AM

Keyshawn Johnson in 1996.

But, would you rather have:

1999: Tim Couch (1-1) or Torry Holt (1-6)
2003: Carson Palmer (1-1) or Andre Johnson (1-3)
2004: Eli Manning (1-1) or Larry Fitzgerald (1-3)
2007: Jamarcus Russell (1-1) or Calvin Johnson (1-2)

Now, granted, I'm cherry-picking there. QB is almost always the position drafted at 1-1 nowadays. But if the QB isn't that good, then maybe you should be more open to other positions.

infantrycak
04-07-2014, 01:15 AM

1996 - Keyshawn Johnson

Mario was the last DE taken. Prior to that were two guys who never made a pro bowl and then back to 1985 for Bruce Smith.

aussie_texan
04-07-2014, 01:33 AM
Keyshawn Johnson in 1996.

But, would you rather have:

1999: Tim Couch (1-1) or Torry Holt (1-6)
2003: Carson Palmer (1-1) or Andre Johnson (1-3)
2004: Eli Manning (1-1) or Larry Fitzgerald (1-3)
2007: Jamarcus Russell (1-1) or Calvin Johnson (1-2)

Now, granted, I'm cherry-picking there. QB is almost always the position drafted at 1-1 nowadays. But if the QB isn't that good, then maybe you should be more open to other positions.

2 SBs would be nice.

but yeah i know what you mean, BPA is always going to make your team stronger, but it doesnt make the decision any easier to pass up the opportunity of getting a possible franchise QB at first overall.

The Pencil Neck
04-07-2014, 02:25 AM
2 SBs would be nice.

but yeah i know what you mean, BPA is always going to make your team stronger, but it doesnt make the decision any easier to pass up the opportunity of getting a possible franchise QB at first overall.

I left the Eli Manning/Larry Fitzgerald duo in there just to show one that would be a difficult decision. 2 SBs are nice but I don't consider Eli Manning an elite QB, just a very, very lucky QB playing on the right teams at the right times.

In most of the other years QB was taken at 1-1, there wasn't a top flight receiver or the QB taken at 1-1 was an obvious and good choice or both. Or both choices were bad.... which has happened.

For example, in 2009, Stafford was taken at 1-1 and the first WR taken was Darius Heyward-Bey at 1-7 and the next one was Michael Crabtree at 1-11. While in 2005, you had a pick of Alex Smith or Braylon Edwards. (Yikes.)

But my main point is that you don't just take a QB because most years have a QB at 1-1. You use that 1-1 pick on a guy you think is going to do the most good for your team. If that's a WR or a RB or a NT, I don't think you should let yourself be bound by history and force the drafting of someone who's going to bust like Jamarcus Russell when you could draft a Calvin Johnson or an Adrian Peterson.

ObsiWan
04-07-2014, 12:17 PM
I left the Eli Manning/Larry Fitzgerald duo in there just to show one that would be a difficult decision. 2 SBs are nice but I don't consider Eli Manning an elite QB, just a very, very lucky QB playing on the right teams at the right times.

In most of the other years QB was taken at 1-1, there wasn't a top flight receiver or the QB taken at 1-1 was an obvious and good choice or both. Or both choices were bad.... which has happened.

For example, in 2009, Stafford was taken at 1-1 and the first WR taken was Darius Heyward-Bey at 1-7 and the next one was Michael Crabtree at 1-11. While in 2005, you had a pick of Alex Smith or Braylon Edwards. (Yikes.)

But my main point is that you don't just take a QB because most years have a QB at 1-1. You use that 1-1 pick on a guy you think is going to do the most good for your team. If that's a WR or a RB or a NT, I don't think you should let yourself be bound by history and force the drafting of someone who's going to bust like Jamarcus Russell when you could draft a Calvin Johnson or an Adrian Peterson.

Well put.
repped.

And "franchise QB" is a function of the skill set a guy has perfectly matching the offensive scheme (and supporting cast) that he was drafted (or traded) into. The more weapons (and protection) a QB has in his offense, the higher the likelihood of him (and with him, the team) being successful.

leebigeztx
04-08-2014, 07:56 AM
I didn't understand last yr why the texans didn't play more big 11 which is posey,hopkins,and andre. The way andre attacks routes insde and make tough catches,it automatically makes defense play nickle. This also opens the run lanes. GB plays 3wr without a wes welker type of inside wr also.

acal21
04-08-2014, 08:57 PM

Are you even a little surprised? Im not at all..

acal21
04-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Obviously we need a QB to throw the football but is anyone else excited about these Wrs? I know OB is not the patriots and tom brady but they did some work with some nobodies

Texan_Bill
04-08-2014, 09:25 PM
I would hope that AJ believes in Posey.

I would also hope that AJ believes in NUK as well. I would hope that AJ believes in OD, errrrrrrr Garret Graham.

I would hope that the first TEXAN ever entered into the HOF would love all of his teammates, unfortunately including HWSRN, and Matt Schaub... He's that classy of a guy!

Andre is probably still good friends with the likes of Jacoby Jones, LeStar Jean, and many others that escape me right now.

Bottom line! Andre is such a stud and has much trust in teammates that he doesn't give a phuk!!

Second "Bottom Line":
AJ will kick ass for a few more years, no???

El Tejano
04-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Are you even a little surprised? Im not at all..

No I'm not. That WOW! was a sarcastic one and just cemented how everyone felt that Kubiak only played his favorites.

Errant Hothy
04-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Man, remember all of the Posey hate when he was drafted?

htownfan32
04-10-2014, 04:34 PM

I still think Posey is capable of being a good #3 or even a #2 given the opportunity, but man, if we didn't trade down with Tampa Bay we could have had Lavonte David.

Texecutioner
04-10-2014, 09:48 PM
I really don't give a damn who AJ has faith in. He isn't a coach and he has never been known as some motivational leader. He is just a great guy with a great attitude.

As far as Devier Posey. I've been laughing at all the folks who have been hyping this kid for two years. He has never done squat on this team. I'd really like to know why he still is on the team. The blind faith in him is about as bad as it was for Molden.

ubecool454
04-11-2014, 09:32 AM

I believe in Posey too. He just needs to be on the field more and avoid injuries. He is not flashey or fast but he runs good routes and has good size and hands.

Scooter
04-11-2014, 09:43 AM

i was one leading the charge. the draft choice of posey ruffled my feathers quite a bit, but i'm changing my tune. by all accounts he's working as hard as anyone despite the injuries, and has looked relatively good when on the field. my plate of crow only extends as far as his ability to see the field however ... a serving i'm hoping to force down, but it's not happening yet.

The Pencil Neck
04-11-2014, 11:28 AM
i was one leading the charge. the draft choice of posey ruffled my feathers quite a bit, but i'm changing my tune. by all accounts he's working as hard as anyone despite the injuries, and has looked relatively good when on the field. my plate of crow only extends as far as his ability to see the field however ... a serving i'm hoping to force down, but it's not happening yet.

Honestly, though, after 2 years, do you need to eat any crow at all no matter how he turns out?

For a team in a win-now mode that needed to find an answer on the other side from AJ, Posey turned out to be not such a great draft choice. The fact that we've gotten very little stat-wise from him means he should have been drafted in a later round.

Scooter
04-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Honestly, though, after 2 years, do you need to eat any crow at all no matter how he turns out?

For a team in a win-now mode that needed to find an answer on the other side from AJ, Posey turned out to be not such a great draft choice. The fact that we've gotten very little stat-wise from him means he should have been drafted in a later round.

from what i saw when he was on the field, yeah i'm still holding my breath. my err was that he was a selfish kid who wouldnt take the game seriously and be a wasted pick because of effort.

well, the effort's there as far as i can tell, and then some. if he cant get healthy it's still a wasted pick, but someone else can have that serving. when on the field he runs routes like andre. not as crisp, but with the same intensity and drive on every down - whether he's part of the play or not. that's what i didnt expect. he's got physical ability, and that determination is what i thought would be lacking. if he cant get on the field it's all for naught, but if he can get healthy posey has what it takes to be at worst a 3rd.

thunderkyss
04-11-2014, 12:04 PM

That's kind of like saying we should have drafted Ben Tate in the 4th, because he was going to miss his rookie season. Or we should have tried to get Charles Spencer as an UDFA because he was going to have a career damaging injury.

Posey appeared to be on track at the end of his rookie year & had he not got hurt in our final game that year, I'm sure we would not have drafted DeAndre.

The Pencil Neck
04-11-2014, 12:16 PM
That's kind of like saying we should have drafted Ben Tate in the 4th, because he was going to miss his rookie season. Or we should have tried to get Charles Spencer as an UDFA because he was going to have a career damaging injury.

Posey appeared to be on track at the end of his rookie year & had he not got hurt in our final game that year, I'm sure we would not have drafted DeAndre.

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. We didn't make the best draft choices with Ben Tate or Charles Spencer or Devier Posey. We could have drafted other guys at those spots that would have been much more productive.

The knock on Posey was that he was going to be a project that was going to take some time to develop. Well? A couple of years in and he hasn't developed into the guy we hoped he would be. There were other WRs available (that many here were pounding the table for) that we could have drafted AND gotten more production out of in the first two years AND probably not have had to use a 1st round draft pick on a WR.

I liked the Ben Tate draft pick. BUT. In hindsight, we could have gotten more value out of that pick but where we were at the time, he looked to be the best option available.

I was surprised by the Spencer draft pick although I warmed up to it pretty quickly. BUT. In hindsight, we could have gotten more value out of that pick but you can't predict a Ron Dayne career-ending catastrophe.

I like Posey. I didn't mind that we drafted him at the time. But in hindsight, we could have done better.

thunderkyss
04-11-2014, 12:42 PM
BUT. In hindsight...

BUT. In hindsight...

But in hindsight...

OH...... then, carry on.

Scooter
04-11-2014, 12:52 PM
That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. We didn't make the best draft choices with Ben Tate or Charles Spencer or Devier Posey. We could have drafted other guys at those spots that would have been much more productive.

I was surprised by the Spencer draft pick although I warmed up to it pretty quickly. BUT. In hindsight, we could have gotten more value out of that pick but you can't predict a Ron Dayne career-ending catastrophe.

time out. i followed you with everything else, but spencer may have been the best selection we've ever made. you cant fault anyone for an after-the-fact freak injury inflicted by our own player. i maintain to this day that spencer is the single best offensive line prospect i've ever seen, his bust in canton would already be sculpted at this point in his career if not for injury. dude had pace's feet, ogden's trunk, and hands that would frighten even the deacon (i've never seen better hands from an offensive lineman). a bit of a sore spot for me, it's still raw that i didnt get to see more than a glimpse at his rookie year.

thunderkyss
04-11-2014, 01:46 PM
time out. i followed you with everything else, but spencer may have been the best selection we've ever made. you cant fault anyone for an after-the-fact freak injury inflicted by our own player.

I don't think he's trying to lay blame, just pointing out things didn't work out the way we planned.

The Pencil Neck
04-11-2014, 05:17 PM
time out. i followed you with everything else, but spencer may have been the best selection we've ever made. you cant fault anyone for an after-the-fact freak injury inflicted by our own player. i maintain to this day that spencer is the single best offensive line prospect i've ever seen, his bust in canton would already be sculpted at this point in his career if not for injury. dude had pace's feet, ogden's trunk, and hands that would frighten even the deacon (i've never seen better hands from an offensive lineman). a bit of a sore spot for me, it's still raw that i didnt get to see more than a glimpse at his rookie year.

That's kinda what I was saying.

When they first drafted Spencer, I wasn't following draft prospects very closely and I didn't know who he was. So I was a little on the "hmmm" side but the more I learned about him and heard about him, the more excited I was. I really thought we'd turned a corner and worked some magic by getting our two tackles to last us for years and years. And then... bam. Not so much.

But my overall point wasn't that he was bad but that things didn't work out the way we'd hoped or planned.

Scooter
04-11-2014, 06:51 PM
apologies, i was drinking into the morning/afternoon lol.

steelbtexan
04-12-2014, 12:57 AM
I believe in Posey too. He just needs to be on the field more and avoid injuries. He is not flashey or fast but he runs good routes and has good size and hands.

I'm looking for flashy and fast.

You know, something out of the Texans org's norm.

I don't think Posey will ever become what he could've become, which is a solid WR2. Kinda like what is Hopkins upside.

steelbtexan
04-12-2014, 02:51 AM

I'm looking for flashy and fast.

You know, something out of the Texans org's norm.

I don't think Posey will ever become what he could've become, which is a solid WR2. Kinda like what is Hopkins upside.