PDA

View Full Version : Should foster be next to go?

mussop
03-31-2014, 12:58 PM
I know foster has a lot off supporters here but when you look at his mileage, contract, injury history and current off field issues it should be considered. I believe his value will only decline from this point forward. IMO we should seeing what we can get in return for him in a trade.

There should be some very good backs available late in this draft.

Texaninlild
03-31-2014, 01:05 PM
He will have the season to get right because we currently do not have a better option. I suspect this will be his last season here and we will draft or pick-up some UFAs to fill the backup role.

Tailgate
03-31-2014, 01:09 PM
Just a tid bit.. salary and cap hit stay roughly 5 and 9 million respectively over the remainder of his contract. 7.5 dead money this yr, 5 million next, 2.5 last yr.

All depends on his current value and what we would get in return. Everything is for sale. Just depends.

mussop
03-31-2014, 01:12 PM
He will have the season to get right because we currently do not have a better option. I suspect this will be his last season here and we will draft or pick-up some UFAs to fill the backup role.

The point is this is a rebuilding year and he probably doesn't have much value left after this year so why not get something for him now while we still can?

Mr teX
03-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Not released...but he should be the next 1 they ask to take a pay cut though...given his off season shenanigans & his injury history the last 2 years. He's got to be brought back into affordability.

infantrycak
03-31-2014, 01:30 PM
There is negligible cap savings to trading him. He is coming off an injury and hasn't had an opportunity to show he has recovered. Combine that with the Texans trying to trade him and his value will be squat. Let him play next year and then re-ask the question.

Troy Chapman
03-31-2014, 01:30 PM
The point is this is a rebuilding year and he probably doesn't have much value left after this year so why not get something for him now while we still can?

Not sure you can get anything for a high paid RB coming off back surgery and constant hamstring issues. I believe Arian will remain for one more year. Very good 3 down back regardless.

The Pencil Neck
03-31-2014, 01:34 PM
I don't think this is the good time for that.

I don't think he's going to be what he was in the past but he should still give us a few good games.

BUT.

When you look at the Patriot model for using RBs, they tend to platoon the position (although they had some pretty good success with Corey Dillon as the feature back, iirc). I'm expecting them to move to that 2-3 back rotation that NE uses. So Foster's career could be extended because he'll be used more in rotation and situationally. I was a little surprised we didn't go after Blount.

badboy
03-31-2014, 01:38 PM
I vote no at least for now. Apparently he is healthy & if he can get a reduced load, could be excellent. We need to bring in a replacement though & I was leaning towards Knoshown Moreno before he went to Miami. I like Carlos Hyde @#33 with a trade to Browns getting #4 & #26 but am mocking no RB until third day with Storm Johnson UCF.

steelbtexan
03-31-2014, 01:43 PM
No for this yr.

Yes if he isn't his old self next yr.

Marcus
03-31-2014, 02:22 PM
I think the better question should be...

Should he have been given that big money contract to begin with?

IDEXAN
03-31-2014, 02:29 PM
What are the cap savings for releasing him now ? If they are significant I would lean towards releasing him. He's had a few real good years here, once was named to the All-Pro team if I'm not mistaken and he finally got that one big pay day after receiving little compensation comparativly speaking when first signing with the Texans as an UDFA when initially coming into the league. He'll soon be 28, and there's the history with the injures, and most of all a new HC who wants his own guys on the roster.

ObsiWan
03-31-2014, 02:32 PM
This is another question that cannot be answered until it's too late.

Two important factors need careful analysis before one can give an intelligent answer:
1) Will he be the pre-contract/pre-injury Foster in 2014?
and
2) How important will Foster's running style and talents be in the new O'Brien offense?

Does O'Brien need a 25-30 carry/game RB like Kubiak's offense did? Or will O'Brien - as N.E. seems to do - run a lot of delays, draws, and screens that can be achieved by committee?

If the answer is yes to the 25-30 carry/game question AND Foster is the 2011 Foster, then we keep him. IF our newfangled offense mirrors the Patriot offense where you mainly run when you catch the defense with the wrong personnel set on the field then maybe RBBC will do just fine and we try to trade him.

After getting a 6th for Schaub I'm shopping EVERYbody around before they're just plain released. Never hurts to ask.

My answer to the original question: I don't know yet.

htownfan32
03-31-2014, 02:36 PM
Baltimore has a lot of picks and needs a RB. Just saying :swatter:

However, I think it'd be good to give Foster a year. I admit I'm curious to see how O'Brien's offense incorporates him into the attack. Foster running well could also help our rookie QB/Keenum/Yates/Fitzpatrick/whoever settle down through the year.

ThaShark316
03-31-2014, 02:41 PM

It was a bargain considering all the money guys like DeAngelo Williams got. *shudder*

thunderkyss
03-31-2014, 02:45 PM
There is negligible cap savings to trading him.

This is where I'm at. What's the point?

Far as I know, the guy can still play. You're not going to sign a replacement for what you'll be saving. I have no problem with the Texans drafting his replacement, & letting that guy show that he can be as good as Tate was when he was healthy.

We'll save $1M if we cut him this year. $4M to cut/trade him next year.

Makes more sense to have this discussion after the 2014 season.

revan
03-31-2014, 02:55 PM
Can we at least see if the guy is back to form?. We just let Tate walk and now you guys want to let Foster go too?.

Hervoyel
03-31-2014, 03:03 PM
I know foster has a lot off supporters here but when you look at his mileage, contract, injury history and current off field issues it should be considered. I believe his value will only decline from this point forward. IMO we should seeing what we can get in return for him in a trade.

I said "No" but it was really more of a "Not quite yet'. I know the day is coming and I know that we maybe even run the risk of keeping him a year too long but Foster even last year until he got hurt was a complete game changer for us. Ben Tate and all the guys who came after him weren't even close to being what Foster was when he was healthy. I think with a new QB coming in (and I think a young QB will be starting by mid-season if we take one) we would be foolish taking a veteran like Foster away from him.

Maybe next year. I know one thing. By next year the answer to this question will be apparent to everyone.

Thorn
03-31-2014, 03:07 PM
Makes more sense to have this discussion after the 2014 season.

This. A thousand times this. Unless Foster is injured again and becomes useless forever, he could very well have a season or two left in him of greatness. We have ZERO RBs worth a damn on the roster other than Foster as it is, lets not get rid of the only RB we have that we know can play.

thunderkyss
03-31-2014, 03:09 PM
...but Foster even last year until he got hurt was a complete game changer for us. Ben Tate and all the guys who came after him weren't even close to being what Foster was when he was healthy. I think with a new QB coming in (and I think a young QB will be starting by mid-season if we take one) we would be foolish taking a veteran like Foster away from him.

Just imagine if we fix our OL issues.

Hervoyel
03-31-2014, 03:13 PM
Just imagine if we fix our OL issues.

Then I think we'd be looking at the possibility of seeing a young QB flourish in a very supportive environment. Granted most of us wouldn't recognize what we were seeing since that would be damn near unprecedented for any Houston football team but hey, it sure would be nice to see it happen here for a change.

Seems like we get our young QB's when there's nothing there for them to work with or to protect them. Pastorini, Carr, it's the same situation. You can't see what you got because he's running for his life and has no running game. Pastorinis youth was wasted and Carr's shortcomings hid far too long on that barren expansion team. Even Moon came into a team that was years from coming together. The next Houston QB would look a lot better with time to throw and a guy to hand the ball of to who was a legitimate threat to break one off.

thunderkyss
03-31-2014, 03:47 PM
Then I think we'd be looking at the possibility of seeing a young QB flourish in a very supportive environment. Granted most of us wouldn't recognize what we were seeing since that would be damn near unprecedented for any Houston football team but hey, it sure would be nice to see it happen here for a change.

Seems like we get our young QB's when there's nothing there for them to work with or to protect them. Pastorini, Carr, it's the same situation. You can't see what you got because he's running for his life and has no running game. Pastorinis youth was wasted and Carr's shortcomings hid far too long on that barren expansion team. Even Moon came into a team that was years from coming together. The next Houston QB would look a lot better with time to throw and a guy to hand the ball of to who was a legitimate threat to break one off.

Right. I think a lot of people don't give Schaub his due. The line looked a lot better with him behind it, because he know how to work a 3 & 5 step drop. I might recall one time that he's been able to stand in a pocket & survey the field without having to use play action or a boot.

_King_
03-31-2014, 03:47 PM
No...

I don't think he's going to be the guy he was a couple years ago, but I think he's at least solid at this point in his career. Likely going to have a rookie QB, so you want a reliable back that also understands pass protection. Arian will still be a good dump off option.

I expect OB to use Arian more wisely than Kubiak did as well. He's talked about having different types of RB's. He called Arian an every down back, but I think he'd like to use a scat back and bruiser back type as well...depending on various factors.

But overall, Arian should at least be here one more year. IMO.

jaayteetx
03-31-2014, 04:20 PM
Better a year to early than a year to late...

markn
03-31-2014, 05:08 PM
As many have said, his trade value is low because of the contract, and there's almost no cap saving. We should spend a mid-late pick on trying to find his long term replacement and pick up a couple of UDFAs.

There's still a decent chance he's got a bit left in the tank and a smaller (but still significant) chance that he can come back strong.

Keep.

TexanBacker93
03-31-2014, 05:11 PM
I don't think this is the good time for that.

I don't think he's going to be what he was in the past but he should still give us a few good games.

BUT.

When you look at the Patriot model for using RBs, they tend to platoon the position (although they had some pretty good success with Corey Dillon as the feature back, iirc). I'm expecting them to move to that 2-3 back rotation that NE uses. So Foster's career could be extended because he'll be used more in rotation and situationally. I was a little surprised we didn't go after Blount.

I don't think that is just a NE thing now. A lot of teams seem to go with 3 mid level guys that can provide some decent numbers but don't break the bank. In the current NFL I'd rather have 3 1.5-2 million/year guys than a $5 million guy and 2 guys at the league minimum.

The Pencil Neck
03-31-2014, 05:14 PM
I don't think that is just a NE thing now. A lot of teams seem to go with 3 mid level guys that can provide some decent numbers but don't break the bank. In the current NFL I'd rather have 3 1.5-2 million/year guys than a $5 million guy and 2 guys at the league minimum.

I brought up NE because of the O'Brien connection to NE.

Norg
03-31-2014, 07:09 PM
Sure why not I was on they Lets d a complete 100% Purge along with the GM but hey .... and it looks like there doing that but on a much slower pace we shall see ..???

its not like we are going any where dis year

JRingo
03-31-2014, 07:18 PM

I would let him go. Hollywood is calling.

DocBar
03-31-2014, 07:59 PM
I'm for keeping Foster for another year and seeing how he does. I have high hopes that the new S&C team will do wonders with the team, as a whole, and Foster in particular.

It's going to be interesting to see OB's approach as far as schemes go. All of this talk of different schemes for different teams has me wondering how the final roster will look and what OB covets at different positions. A one cut and go RB fits just about any scheme. I doubt any coach has every wanted a "dance around in the backfield and see what happens" RB that wasn't named Barry Sanders or maybe Chris Johnson.

I would think the OL would be the biggest difference compared to Kubiak's scheme.

Texecutioner
03-31-2014, 09:12 PM
There is negligible cap savings to trading him. He is coming off an injury and hasn't had an opportunity to show he has recovered. Combine that with the Texans trying to trade him and his value will be squat. Let him play next year and then re-ask the question.

This. We don't have a better option either. I think that he'll be in a position where he'll know that he has to work hard next year and produce. New coach, new situation. I think he will probably be cut after next season though. Even with a good season he likely won't be worth the contract.

DocBar
03-31-2014, 09:52 PM
This. We don't have a better option either. I think that he'll be in a position where he'll know that he has to work hard next year and produce. New coach, new situation. I think he will probably be cut after next season though. Even with a good season he likely won't be worth the contract.As long as he produces in 2014, who cares?

The Pencil Neck
03-31-2014, 10:12 PM
I'm for keeping Foster for another year and seeing how he does. I have high hopes that the new S&C team will do wonders with the team, as a whole, and Foster in particular.

It's going to be interesting to see OB's approach as far as schemes go. All of this talk of different schemes for different teams has me wondering how the final roster will look and what OB covets at different positions. A one cut and go RB fits just about any scheme. I doubt any coach has every wanted a "dance around in the backfield and see what happens" RB that wasn't named Barry Sanders or maybe Chris Johnson.

I would think the OL would be the biggest difference compared to Kubiak's scheme.

I don't expect there to be too many OL changes. The main thing is solving the question of RT and deciding what they want to do at LG. I think the rest of it will be stable.

OB's offense will employ a lot of zone based schemes when it comes to blocking. Although he'll pepper in some more power and trapping and whatnot, I think he'll work with the pieces that we've got.

The defensive front 7, otoh...

DocBar
03-31-2014, 10:15 PM
I don't expect there to be too many OL changes. The main thing is solving the question of RT and deciding what they want to do at LG. I think the rest of it will be stable.

OB's offense will employ a lot of zone based schemes when it comes to blocking. Although he'll pepper in some more power and trapping and whatnot, I think he'll work with the pieces that we've got.

The defensive front 7, otoh...How do you come to these decisions?

The Pencil Neck
03-31-2014, 10:22 PM
How do you come to these decisions?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

But...

I don't expect there to be any changes at LT, C, or RG. Brown, Myers, and Brooks are solid pieces there.

The biggest question is Quessenberry. OB has specifically mentioned him as someone his line coach has been looking forward to work with. I am one of the people who has a really high expectation for Q. Best case, I think he becomes our RT and solves that problem for years and worst case, I think he becomes a backup to LG, RG, and RT. Well. Actually. Worst case is he doesn't get healthy.

If we take Robinson or Matthews, I expect them to become the RT and Q to be our LG. However, this is a draft rich in guards. So we could nab a guard later in the draft to go in at LG.

acal21
03-31-2014, 10:24 PM
I honestly wouldn't want to see him go but I'm sure no one in philly wanted jackson gone

Maybe you let him go if you don't want to have that kind of money invested in the running back position

Kubiak was a players coach.. we will have to wait and see if foster is gonna have the right kind of work ethic for OB

JB
03-31-2014, 10:25 PM

Not sure it was by you, maybe by many, but I swear I read this same exact thing before in this forum

The Pencil Neck
03-31-2014, 10:59 PM
Not sure it was by you, maybe by many, but I swear I read this same exact thing before in this forum

From what I heard, the S&C coaches under Casserly & Capers were old style, bodybuilding based weight training. Very idiotic chrome and tone kinda stuff.

Kubiak and Smith kept those guys for the first few years. THEN they changed to what was said to be a more free-weight based approach. And I'm all for that. I prefer a free weight approach based on simulating the things they need to strengthen to perform the functions of their positions as well as pre-hab lifts to correct various imbalances, to work on specific weaknesses, and to work on general physical preparedness (GPP).

Now... these guys are coming in and saying that they're the free-weight based approach and the LAST guys weren't.

I don't know what to think anymore.

mussop
04-01-2014, 12:54 AM
Better a year to early than a year to late...

I appears kubiakeyetus is running rampant around here.

Marcus
04-01-2014, 07:18 AM

I also read the the exact same thing every year. There are "many" who overplay the significance of the S & C coaches. Especially at finger-pointing time. It's the player himself that decides how dedicated he is in getting in shape.

Marcus
04-01-2014, 07:49 AM
I honestly wouldn't want to see him go but I'm sure no one in philly wanted jackson gone

Maybe you let him go if you don't want to have that kind of money invested in the running back position

Kubiak was a players coach.. we will have to wait and see if foster is gonna have the right kind of work ethic for OB

Hmm.....I'm trying to think of the last time a big-name free-agent RB who signed the big-money contract, didn't already have his best years behind him.

It makes more sense to draft 1 or 2 of them on the cheap each year, run them til the wheels fall off in about 2 or 3 years, and then stick another one in there. Like changing tires when the tread is worn. Sounds impersonal, but to me, it's a lot more practical than having a high paid RB, past his prime, sitting hurt on the bench.

infantrycak
04-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Hmm.....I'm trying to think of the last time a big-name free-agent RB who signed the big-money contract, didn't already have his best years behind him.

It makes more sense to draft 1 or 2 of them on the cheap each year, run them til the wheels fall off in about 2 or 3 years, and then stick another one in there. Like changing tires when the tread is worn. Sounds impersonal, but to me, it's a lot more practical than having a high paid RB, past his prime, sitting hurt on the bench.

Are you essentially saying only play rookie contract RBs?

The answer to your question is not very many because if a RB is productive the team that drafted him signs him to at least one contract after his rookie contract just like the Texans did with Foster. You don't see productive RBs hit free agency after their rookie contract.

mussop
04-01-2014, 08:16 AM

The answer to your question is not very many because if a RB is productive the team that drafted him signs him to at least one contract after his rookie contract just like the Texans did with Foster. You don't see productive RBs hit free agency after their rookie contract.

Yep and good teams will cut bait as soon as the RB isn't living up to his new contract.

mussop
04-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Link (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/518611/arian-foster)

New Texans head coach Bill O'Brien said at the NFL Owners Meeting in Orlando to CBSSports.com that he expects running back Arian Foster to be ready to participate in offseason workouts. Foster effectively missed nine games last season with a back injury.

"He's good. He's going to participate in the spring," O'Brien said. "I've had like three conversations with Arian, good conversations, good guy. I believe he'll be ready to go in the minicamps."

Well doesn't look like it's going to happen. We'll see if he makes it to and through minicamps and spring. My money is on him pulling a hammy and having to sit out most of it.

texansrule2014
04-01-2014, 09:13 AM
yeah! maybe Kub wants his old buddie

Marcus
04-01-2014, 09:30 AM

That's exactly what I'm saying. I know it would have been an unpopular move. Yeah, you could cut him the following year, but that signing bonus is guaranteed, and that's a chunk against the cap. This is a position I've always had. And Chris Johnson was proving my point during Foster's contract year.

Now, I don't have stats to back it up, or if they even have a stat on it ... but my contention is, given today's NFL, is that by the time a RB, not just any position, a RB, finishes his rookie contract, he's already past his prime.

He might prove me completely wrong this season, but I'm not expecting it. What I am expecting, is more back issues, more hammy issues, saying all the right things to OB, and dare I say it, dedication issues.

WolverineFan
04-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Nobody is going to trade for Foster and he's the best back here by a long shot so I don't see any point in releasing him.

IlliniJen
04-01-2014, 09:39 AM
That's exactly what I'm saying. I know it would have been an unpopular move. Yeah, you could cut him the following year, but that signing bonus is guaranteed, and that's a chunk against the cap. This is a position I've always had. And Chris Johnson was proving my point during Foster's contract year.

Now, I don't have stats to back it up, or if they even have a stat on it ... but my contention is, given today's NFL, is that by the time a RB, not just any position, a RB, finishes his rookie contract, he's already past his prime.

He might prove me completely wrong this season, but I'm not expecting it. What I am expecting, is more back issues, more hammy issues, saying all the right things to OB, and dare I say it, dedication issues.

Unless your name is AP, then I think running backs have quickly reached their earning/trade potential in the NFL and their salaries and demand for "top" running backs will just continue to slide as more teams plug and play rookies and journeymen in their systems. I've never seen a position get devalued so quickly and so suddenly. It's going to take top-tier talent like AP to get the big bucks anymore.

I think Foster has one decent year left, and that's if he can stay healthy, which at this point, I highly doubt. His deal wasn't a fantastic idea a the time, even if RBs still yank at the heartstrings of fans who see them as a major cog in a successful offensive machine. Unpopular though it may be, "Random Running Back #12" might be how things shake out for many teams, including ours over the next few years. BOB may have learned that from the Pats and their faceless committee of unspectacular but workable backs over the last 10 years.

infantrycak
04-01-2014, 10:10 AM

Well teams disagree with you. You don't see healthy, above average backs hit the market. You don't need any magic stat. Of the top 10 RBs last year all but 1 were on the team that drafted them and only 2 were on rookie contracts. Marshawn Lynch was traded primarily due to off field issues. You'd have a good argument after the 2nd contract but not rookie contracts.

Unless your name is AP, then I think running backs have quickly reached their earning/trade potential in the NFL and their salaries and demand for "top" running backs will just continue to slide as more teams plug and play rookies and journeymen in their systems. I've never seen a position get devalued so quickly and so suddenly. It's going to take top-tier talent like AP to get the big bucks anymore.

Top backs aren't hitting the market place. What you are seeing is that mediocre backs are not getting FA premiums just because they are the best available anymore.

Double Barrel
04-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Foster is an asset in the backfield, both in terms of running the ball and picking up the blitz. With a new offense, and perhaps a rookie QB, having a veteran in the backfield protecting him is a positive thing.

Obviously health is an issue, but that's always a concern in football.

texan_joe
04-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Keep him, at least through this season, give him a chance to prove he can stay healthy and see how he fits in BOB's scheme.
Draft a guy in round 5 or 6 (Isaiah Crowell), and see what happens.

CloakNNNdagger
04-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Keep him, at least through this season, give him a chance to prove he can stay healthy and see how he fits in BOB's scheme.
Draft a guy in round 5 or 6 (Isaiah Crowell), and see what happens.

In a little different way of stating the same thing that Lucky present in his post above....................injured players don't tend to fit very well in any coach's schemes.:kitten:

mussop
04-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Foster is an asset in the backfield, both in terms of running the ball and picking up the blitz. With a new offense, and perhaps a rookie QB, having a veteran in the backfield protecting him is a positive thing.

Yeh he's an asset, when he's healthy. And yes health is always a concern in football but his health is a major concern. He's never been a bust his ass kind of guy. He's coming off of back problems that cost him more than HC the season last year. He's got a ton of mileage and he's been dealing with serious personal issues for the last few months that surely pare going to linger on for some time.

There are at least six backs in this draft I would rather see I'm the backfield this year over Foster.

And to the person who said no one will trade for Foster, someone traded for Matt freaking Schaub. So......

El Tejano
04-01-2014, 02:01 PM
My main concern is that just the change of the offense is going to not agree with Foster. I'm really hoping like he doesn't end up like other RBs that excelled in that Kubiak offense. Guys like Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary etc.... all had awesome careers with Denver and then sucked when moved to a different style offense.

infantrycak
04-01-2014, 02:10 PM
And to the person who said no one will trade for Foster, someone traded for Matt freaking Schaub. So......

Is one of Foster's old coaches now a HC for a team sitting on a stack of money so high they are required to spend a bunch of it?

Are there 6 QBs other teams want to start week #1?

Schaub is irrelevant. At best you might get the same kind of token 6th or 7th and there is no point to that.

Not sure why you started the thread even since you clearly have your mind up and are just going to slag anyone who answers no.

WolverineFan
04-01-2014, 02:13 PM

And someone else traded for Blaine Gabbert. The difference being they are QB's, not RB's.

You only have to look as far as the Chris Johnson situation to see how much trade value Foster will garner on the market.

HOU-TEX
04-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Yeh he's an asset, when he's healthy. And yes health is always a concern in football but his health is a major concern. He's never been a bust his ass kind of guy. He's coming off of back problems that cost him more than HC the season last year. He's got a ton of mileage and he's been dealing with serious personal issues for the last few months that surely pare going to linger on for some time.

There are at least six backs in this draft I would rather see I'm the backfield this year over Foster.

I'm not sure what makes you say this other than personal speculation. Link? From what I've gathered this dude busts his ass just as much, if not more than other players. Before his Twitter hiatus he'd tweet of his workouts all the time. So, that comment is nothing but hogwash unless you link to otherwise.

The 2nd bolded statement is just crazy talk. Granted, I get you on the health situation, but he's one of the best in the league when on the field. To say you'd rather have a clueless rookie RB instead of a dude that, when healthy, has been top 5 in the league is kind of ridiculous imo

To be honest, this whole thread is kinda ridiculous. You gain nothing by getting rid of him. Yet, gain everything when he's on the field

thunderkyss
04-01-2014, 02:25 PM
To be honest, this whole thread is kinda ridiculous. You gain nothing by getting rid of him. Yet, gain everything when he's on the field

Exactly. Whether the money is already spent or not, we're gonna feel it on our cap. Might as well try to get something out of him, on the field.

IlliniJen
04-01-2014, 03:12 PM

This is a very good point. Foster gives us a very reliable back who has enough experience to help foster (d'oooooooooh!) a fledgling QB along. We'd need experience back there regardless to pick up the blitz. I wouldn't trust a rookie RB to shoulder that responsibility and protect Bortles...I mean Manziel...I mean Bridgewater...

ubecool454
04-01-2014, 04:12 PM

I give him 2 more years max and he will be replaced by a younger RB.

thunderkyss
04-01-2014, 04:43 PM
This is a very good point. Foster gives us a very reliable back who has enough experience to help foster (d'oooooooooh!) a fledgling QB along. We'd need experience back there regardless to pick up the blitz. I wouldn't trust a rookie RB to shoulder that responsibility and protect Bortles...I mean Manziel...I mean Bridgewater...

:foottap:

uh... McCarron.

The Pencil Neck
04-01-2014, 04:55 PM

uh... McCarron.

Holmes, you are the only one on that ship.

ObsiWan
04-01-2014, 05:40 PM

You just defeated your own argument.

Why would anyone give up even a late pick if your final statement is anywhere close to true. Why would a team give up a pick then pay even vet minimum (assuming Foster'd sign for that) when as you said yourself "there should be some very good backs available late in this draft" for 5th thru 7th round rookie money?

kiwitexansfan
04-01-2014, 05:54 PM

uh... McCarron.

Logan Thomas!!

:kitten:

_King_
04-01-2014, 06:15 PM
I wouldnt call myself a Foster supporter. But I recognize the situation.

I think we need to be looking for a replacement in this upcoming draft, myself.

But it doesnt make any sense to just cut him or trade him for a low round pick.

mussop
04-01-2014, 06:15 PM
You just defeated your own argument.

Why would anyone give up even a late pick if your final statement is anywhere close to true. Why would a team give up a pick then pay even vet minimum (assuming Foster'd sign for that) when as you said yourself "there should be some very good backs available late in this draft" for 5th thru 7th round rookie money?

Why would anyone give up a pick for a washed up Matt Schaub when this draft has many good young QB prospects?

infantrycak
04-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Why would anyone give up a pick for a washed up Matt Schaub when this draft has many good young QB prospects?

Again - (1) coach familiarity (2) need to spend cap and (3) RBs hit the ground running, QBs do not.

ObsiWan
04-01-2014, 07:02 PM
As far as "good young prospects" are concerned Oakland already has Matt McGloin and Terrell Prior so they must not have thought any of the current crop represented the opportunity for success that Matt Schaub does to them. Perhaps Matt Schaub represented a mentor for those two young'uns. Given that they just signed MJD, maybe the coach thinks their locker room needs "veteran presence" or something.

Hell, its the Raiders. Who knows.

But if you can only get a 6th for a former starting QB, what do you think a "troubled", injury-prone, "weirdo", Hollywood-on-the-brain, (did I cover everything?) RB will bring you? :)

drs23
04-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Again - (1) coach familiarity (2) need to spend cap and (3) RBs hit the ground running, QBs do not.

Hmmm, not as a rule but it looked like Kennum did. Bless his heart.

Goldensilence
04-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Doesn't make sense... Yet. I'd like to see if he regains form or close to it this fall.

acal21
04-01-2014, 07:54 PM

When it comes down to it, you have to have a good RB... it might seem like RBs come a dime a dozen but at the same time you see teams struggling mightily at the RB position

Foster isn't the most gifted athlete but he's smooth and better than any RB thats played for the texans

mussop
04-01-2014, 09:31 PM
When it comes down to it, you have to have a good RB... it might seem like RBs come a dime a dozen but at the same time you see teams struggling mightily at the RB position

How good can he be if he's sitting on the bench hurt?

Foster isn't the most gifted athlete but he's smooth and better than any RB thats played for the texans

What does this have to do with anything? Are you saying we should keep him just because he WAS better than all the other RB's that have played for us?

leebigeztx
04-01-2014, 10:05 PM
If he plays like he was playing last yr no. I will say, I wouldn't pass sims or seastrunk in the 4th rd. He's still a good player who is still a 3 down back which is very rare. I would like to see his touches go down to extend his career.

acal21
04-01-2014, 11:00 PM
How good can he be if he's sitting on the bench hurt?

What does this have to do with anything? Are you saying we should keep him just because he WAS better than all the other RB's that have played for us?

You are thinking way too much into what i said... yeah foster is a RB he gets beat up and misses sometime but that doesn't mean you just give up on the guy

Im sure you would have just cut AP after he tore his acl

IlliniJen
04-02-2014, 09:07 AM

uh... McCarron.

You're on that train? David Carr 2.0.

ObsiWan
04-02-2014, 09:31 AM
How so?

The Pencil Neck
04-02-2014, 09:32 AM
How so?

From what I've seen, he doesn't respond well to pressure.

infantrycak
04-02-2014, 09:39 AM

How so?

Other than ultimate destination being backup QB, I'm not seeing the comparison.

thunderkyss
04-02-2014, 09:54 AM

That's all relative.... not to defend McCarron, but any QB. Peyton has issues dealing with pressure. So does Brady (remember when the Giants stomped his azz?)... it's just varying degrees of pressure.

Some QBs like Carr eventually, start out pretty good under pressure but after too long, they start hearing footsteps. That's when I think it's an issue, when he starts hearing & responding to ghosts.

WolverineFan
04-02-2014, 10:26 AM
That's all relative.... not to defend McCarron, but any QB. Peyton has issues dealing with pressure. So does Brady (remember when the Giants stomped his azz?)... it's just varying degrees of pressure.

Some QBs like Carr eventually, start out pretty good under pressure but after too long, they start hearing footsteps. That's when I think it's an issue, when he starts hearing & responding to ghosts.

Peyton also beats pressure. So does Brady. That's why they're so good. A lot of people like Bridgewater because he's good against pressure.

Nobody really knew what McCarron was like under pressure because his O-Line was so good that he rarely saw any. He did in the Oklahoma game though and he laid an egg.

The Pencil Neck
04-02-2014, 10:31 AM

And I think with McCarron, it doesn't take much for him to start responding to it poorly. He had it easy with that line of his but when he did get a little pressure, he quickly fell apart. He's not accustomed to having to make decisions quickly. Maybe he has an untapped ability for that and he just needs to work on it.

Dutchrudder
04-02-2014, 11:32 AM
No, there is little salary cap relief. Next year is the time to discuss this.

thunderkyss
04-02-2014, 11:32 AM
And I think with McCarron, it doesn't take much for him to start responding to it poorly. He had it easy with that line of his but when he did get a little pressure, he quickly fell apart. He's not accustomed to having to make decisions quickly. Maybe he has an untapped ability for that and he just needs to work on it.

Ok..

Like I said, I wasn't trying to defend McCarron.

CloakNNNdagger
04-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Peyton also beats pressure. So does Brady. That's why they're so good. A lot of people like Bridgewater because he's good against pressure.

Nobody really knew what McCarron was like under pressure because his O-Line was so good that he rarely saw any. He did in the Oklahoma game though and he laid an egg.

During the playoffs last year when his line seemed to have a total breakdown, something he has hardly ever had to deal with, Peyton looked exactly like a taller version of Keenum.

JB
04-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Is this thread about Foster? Or McCarron, Peyton, Brady, Keenum? Kinda lost here

:drunk:

drs23
04-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Is this thread about Foster? Or McCarron, Peyton, Brady, Keenum? Kinda lost here

Heck, take your pick. Throw someone else in the mix even. :D

JB
04-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Heck, take your pick. Throw someone else in the mix even. :D

It's the damn kicker's fault!!!

:party:

thunderkyss
04-02-2014, 04:06 PM
It's the damn kicker's fault!!!

:party:

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/f8/f880a43421acb46ec69d413b8382664a32d0db004e68407d91 2f2bc37cea9a49.jpg

ObsiWan
04-02-2014, 04:25 PM

Was it as big as the 18-1 Brady-led Pats laid or the Peyton-led Broncos laid just this past Feb.? And those guys are highly paid, NFL-veteran QBs.

Anyone can crack if the pressure is high enough and consistent enough.

And how did we get from Foster to QBs anywho?

IlliniJen
04-02-2014, 04:33 PM
How so?

Somebody who will be one day, in retrospect, a very regrettable decision for some team. Hopefully not ours.

JB
04-02-2014, 04:52 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/f8/f880a43421acb46ec69d413b8382664a32d0db004e68407d91 2f2bc37cea9a49.jpg

Hey I've been on a diet, I thought was looking good!

Norg
04-02-2014, 05:02 PM

Nope this franchise seems to have a hard time forseeing in the future or at least 2 years ahead LOL giving away all these big money contracts to players who will not even be here

I blame KUBES and """""RICK SMITH""""""""

thunderkyss
04-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Hey I've been on a diet, I thought was looking good!

Not you. Our kicker looks like a Hobbit.

http://balls.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/randybullock.jpg

http://www.incognitocomics.co.uk/_pics/FS_53001.jpg

kingtexan
04-04-2014, 09:01 AM
What the heck do we have without Foster?

Letting him go or trading him based on almost no savings would be ignorant.

Remember back when he was one of the best in the league? Not that long ago ...

Lets see what he has left.

mattieuk
04-04-2014, 10:45 AM

You'll find you answer here (highlighted the relevant rule):

TexansTalk.com Forum Rules

1.) Starting of the gameday thread without the approval of the approval of the most superstitious member of the board shall be punishable by implemenation of a Tacks avatar for 7 days.

2.) Mods are on holiday from Superbowl Sunday until training camp. Please try and keep offseason threads started to a minimum by interjecting QB debates whereever possible.

3.) If Bill offers you candy, do...not...take...it.

infantrycak
04-04-2014, 11:33 AM

LOL - well played.

HOU-TEX
04-04-2014, 01:13 PM

This is awesome. +Rep

ObsiWan
04-04-2014, 02:43 PM
You'll find you answer here (highlighted the relevant rule):TexansTalk.com Forum Rules
1.) Starting of the gameday thread without the approval of the approval of the most superstitious member of the board shall be punishable by implementation of a Tacks avatar for 7 days.
I thought there were laws against Cruel and Unusual Punishment in this country

AngryNateFTW
04-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Foster just tweeted..

Just got pulled over for being black in a Benz.

Nah I was doing 62 in a 45.

RELEASE HIM! :user:

dream_team
04-05-2014, 08:55 AM
I'm surprised there are no cut Andre Johnson threads yet? A guy that's past his prime and by far the highest paid player on our team.

Now I am not saying we should cut him, but with the re-building tone of alot of people on here, just surprised I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

On a side note... the way his contract is structured, he's lined up for a sure-cut by 2016. He'll be getting paid +14M, but only 2.7 of it is dead money.

infantrycak
04-05-2014, 09:15 AM
I'm surprised there are no cut Andre Johnson threads yet? A guy that's past his prime and by far the highest paid player on our team.

Now I am not saying we should cut him, but with the re-building tone of alot of people on here, just surprised I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

On a side note... the way his contract is structured, he's lined up for a sure-cut by 2016. He'll be getting paid +14M, but only 2.7 of it is dead money.

Dredge up one of the old ones. There are plenty around including from this season.

He isn't past his prime. He just had 1400 yds with dumb and dumber at QB and is in the stretch of his career where Jerry Rice had the best 4 years of his career.

He contract is set up perfectly for a restructure to have him go from being paid as he deserves as one of the best #1's in the league to an extension as one of the best #2's in the league.

MEGA SWATT
04-05-2014, 03:20 PM

That is in the past and it is completely irrelevant right now. If you say yes, if you say no to your question - How does that change anything?

You can choose to focus on what you can't control while the rest of us focus on what you CAN control.

maddogmrb
04-05-2014, 04:10 PM
I don't think we can afford to cut Foster but I don't know if his mind is in the game anymore either ... since he got his contract ....

If he's not going to dedicate himself to the game and be an everyday contributor ... including practice .... we don't lose much by letting him go because he's just going to sit it out until he sees we are a contender or not before getting serious again.

He's got the team between a rock and a hard place.

CloakNNNdagger
04-05-2014, 04:40 PM
I don't think we can afford to cut Foster but I don't know if his mind is in the game anymore either ... since he got his contract ....

If he's not going to dedicate himself to the game and be an everyday contributor ... including practice .... we don't lose much by letting him go because he's just going to sit it out until he sees we are a contender or not before getting serious again.

He's got the team between a rock and a hard place.

He's looking towards his next big pay day........in California.

Movie Review of Draft Day (Featuring Texans RB Arian Foster) (http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/04/04/movie-review-of-draft-day-featuring-texans-rb-arian-foster/)

chicagotexan2
04-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Foster just tweeted..

RELEASE HIM! :user:

I think he should contact Isaiah Carey's to expose the racist police. I wonder if he has Isaiah's card somewhere in his toyota pickup? Maybe its in the gold diggers car? Foster is an attention whore.

humblegeo
05-22-2014, 07:02 AM
Foster has been with the Texans since 2009. That's 5 maybe 6 seasons of hard running with lots of carries and several injuries along the way. Average length of an NFL running back's career 2.57 years. Sure hope Blue works out because Foster is on the tail end of his career just like Johnson is.

Texanmike02
05-22-2014, 07:10 AM
Never thought of it that way. Thank you for bringing it up.

Mike

LikeMike
05-22-2014, 07:13 AM
I don`t worry about Foster. He is a great guy, a very smart runner and great to have on the team. There is a good chance his career won`t last too much longer, but I don`t think losing him would be catastrophic. It would free up lots of capsapce, and it is not too hard to find a runner that gets the job done free.

So IŽll be happy for as long as we have that real playmaker in Foster - when we have to let him go IŽll be sad to see him go, but I will really like that extra capspace. I still believe you shouldn`t invest too much money in positions like HBs or WRs (I love AJ, but I still think you need to spend your money elsewhere to win big). Get great lines on both sides of the ball, get a QB that is worth spending 15 million on, get good CBs and guys on defense that can get to the QB and you have a good chance to win.

Thorn
05-22-2014, 07:19 AM
I like Foster. I hope he does well this season. I like the story of the UDFA makes good, like I hope Keenum fits the local boy does well story. Those types of stories about your team are better than the ones like are coming out of Cleveland, and much more endearing to the fans.

thunderkyss
05-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Maurice Jones Drew was rode hard. In his first five years, he carried the ball 1141 times. Including 312 carries his 4th year & 299 carries his fifth year. He went on to carry the ball another 663 times over three years averaging 4.3 yards per carry.

I don't know if Arian has many thousand yard seasons left in him. But with the meat we've got in front of him, he's not going to have many "hard yards" in the near future.

thunderkyss
05-22-2014, 07:48 AM
Arian Foster ready to tackle Texans new offense (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/25584247/running-back-arian-foster-ready-to-tackle-texans-new-offense#ixzz32Q7zUEpu)

Foster has recovered from back surgery and worked hard to make sure he would be able to take part in the Texans offseason workouts.

He was at the team's voluntary minicamp for veterans and will be working with his teammates during the Texans' organized team activities which begin next week.

"Yea, I'm back," Foster said.

He's back and ready to tackle the Texans new offense.

"They have a lot of zone schemes, runs, every offense does," Foster said. "The way they want to use me out of the backfield as far as different alignments and matchups they want to have against linebackers and things like that."

PHILLYTEXANFAN
05-22-2014, 07:49 AM
It could be me, but imo Foster never really took any real punishment running like some of the other backs in the league have

Troy Chapman
05-22-2014, 07:51 AM
It could be me, but imo Foster never really took any real punishment running like some of the other backs in the league have

Arian is very good at avoid big hits.

Arian & AJ will both be cap casualties after the 2014 season.

DBCooper
05-22-2014, 07:54 AM
I am wondering about Foster too (worried is not my word of choice, but close).

Foster is coming off back surgery, and to tell the truth looked sluggish when he was healthy.

How does his running style fit the new scheme?

I hope he does great, and I don't think Blue is the answer if he falters.

Playoffs
05-22-2014, 07:59 AM
He's a RUNNING BACK.

kingtexan
05-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Hey look, another dumb thread ...

:ahhaha:

drs23
05-22-2014, 08:13 AM
I thought I was having Deja Vu all over again or an early morning time warp before I realized...THREAD MERGE!

Dang, you mod guys are quick.

Along with being all those things that LB says you guys are...:kitten:

:D

steelbtexan
05-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Arian is very good at avoid big hits.

Arian & AJ will both be cap casualties after the 2014 season.

Depends on whether Foster has another big yr. Foster is essentially playing for his job next yr. If his back holds up I think he will have a big yr. He is running to support his gold digger and illegitimate child.

kingtexan
05-22-2014, 10:09 AM
He is running to support his gold digger and illegitimate child.

Ouch ... easy big fella.

DocBar
05-22-2014, 12:36 PM

Foster is coming off back surgery, and to tell the truth looked sluggish when he was healthy.

I hope he does great, and I don't think Blue is the answer if he falters.What do you not like about Blue? I think he could be the steal of the draft.

DBCooper
05-22-2014, 01:27 PM
What do you not like about Blue? I think he could be the steal of the draft.

I hope you're right.

I probably haven't watched enough of him to make a fair assessment.

DocBar
05-22-2014, 04:07 PM
I hope you're right.

I probably haven't watched enough of him to make a fair assessment.LSU was my college team until aTm made the jump to the SEC.

Very talented, big back. Torn ACL in 2012 and a deep pool of RB's at LSU affected his draft staus quite a bit.The guy reminds me a lot of Foster.
Player profile (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1749753/alfred-blue)

DBCooper
05-22-2014, 05:11 PM
LSU was my college team until aTm made the jump to the SEC.

Very talented, big back. Torn ACL in 2012 and a deep pool of RB's at LSU affected his draft staus quite a bit.The guy reminds me a lot of Foster.
Player profile (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1749753/alfred-blue)

Thanks man, been trying to find as much on the guy as I can.

CloakNNNdagger
05-22-2014, 08:02 PM

I hope he does great, and I don't think Blue is the answer if he falters.

I like Blue. He reminds me a lot of Eric Dickerson in stature and in that he runs "straight up." However, this leaves an RB totally exposed to injuries such as knee injuries since the knees are kept in extended locked position so much of the time. Blue has already suffered one ACL surgery. Even more worrisome for an erect running back the probability of repeated cervical whiplash when forcefully taking blows............just ask Eric. Dickerson had to have a large neck roll fashioned to stabilize his neck and protect it from whiplashing. A herniated disc in his lower cervical region forced his retirement, when he could no longer pass the Packers physical.

http://espn.go.com/i/abcsports/mnf/!2001/0126/photo/s_dickerson_i.jpg

DocBar
05-22-2014, 08:30 PM
I like Blue. He reminds me a lot of Eric Dickerson in stature and in that he runs "straight up." However, this leaves an RB totally exposed to injuries such as knee injuries since the knees are kept in extended locked position so much of the time. Blue has already suffered one ACL surgery. Even more worrisome for an erect running back the probability of repeated cervical whiplash when forcefully taking blows............just ask Eric. Dickerson had to have a large neck roll fashioned to stabilize his neck and protect it from whiplashing. A herniated disc in his lower cervical region forced his retirement, when he could no longer pass the Packers physical.

http://espn.go.com/i/abcsports/mnf/!2001/0126/photo/s_dickerson_i.jpgSince you're always crapping on my heart and depressing me, can you at least prescribe me some happy pills? Hell, at this point I'd be good with a Happy Meal!! Still love ya though, Dr. Doom. :fostering:

CloakNNNdagger
05-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Since you're always crapping on my heart and depressing me, can you at least prescribe me some happy pills? Hell, at this point I'd be good with a Happy Meal!! Still love ya though, Dr. Doom. :fostering:

Hey DocBar,

On the bright side, Dickerson had 6 GREAT years, 3 MEDIOCRE years and 2 POOR years in his career. In his 12 year career, he averaged 4.4 yds/carry..I think we'd all be happy if Blue could pull off close to that.:)

DocBar
05-22-2014, 09:32 PM
Hey DocBar,

On the bright side, Dickerson had 6 GREAT years, 3 MEDIOCRE years and 2 POOR years in his career. In his 12 year career, he averaged 4.4 yds/carry..I think we'd all be happy if Blue could pull off close to that.:)You mean the bright side isn't that Dickerson is in the HOF ? You suck as a motivational speaker, Jean. :kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
05-22-2014, 09:48 PM
You mean the bright side isn't that Dickerson is in the HOF ? You suck as a motivational speaker, Jean. :kitten:

http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/DonŽt+be+a+cheerleader+they+said+_cea5034692ab650d 7619a2f9ff1e8938.jpg

Rah, rah, kick 'em in the nuts! That better?:)

DocBar
05-22-2014, 09:59 PM
http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/DonŽt+be+a+cheerleader+they+said+_cea5034692ab650d 7619a2f9ff1e8938.jpg

Rah, rah, kick 'em in the nuts! That better?:)
weeping.....weeping....I'm not happy with you. Any chance that you'll pour yourself a nice, hot cup of STFU?

DocBar
05-22-2014, 10:00 PM
weeping.....weeping....I'm not happy with you. Any chance that you'll pour yourself a nice, hot cup of STFU?That looks a lot like Tom Brady, btw...

CloakNNNdagger
05-22-2014, 10:02 PM
weeping.....weeping....I'm not happy with you. Any chance that you'll pour yourself a nice, hot cup of STFU?

I can take the hint, despite the subtlety of it all. Good night, Gracie!:)

DocBar
05-22-2014, 10:04 PM
I can take the hint, despite the subtlety of it all. Goracie!:)lol. I'm known for that. Keep up the good work, doc.

CloakNNNdagger
05-23-2014, 07:06 AM
A new HT.com VIDEO (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/The_Briefing_RB_Alfred_Blue/e60ac3c1-0a80-43bf-a2a4-26d4a0b3bc04) on Blue.

kiwitexansfan
05-25-2014, 04:52 PM
He might be next to go.

The cat lovers will force his exit.

LINK (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/arian-foster-wants-to-free-the-cats/)

humblegeo
05-25-2014, 06:37 PM
If he hates cats them he can't be all that bad. I say lets keep him around for awhile longer.

fiasco west
05-27-2014, 03:35 PM

Only reason it is a question is because of his injury history now. When he got that contract he was the best all around RB in the NFL and was a elite top tier RB.

I guess you can argue if HBs should get that much money, but he was a elite player not to long ago.

I wouldn't get rid of him, only if he's not willing to take a cut and realize he's on the downside of his career. I have a feeling that BOB will be more interested in the RB stable rather than relying so much on one guy like Kubiak did any ways.

Ryan
05-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Kubiak ruined him in 2012 for no reason. He ran him into the ground while Ben Tate was at least moderately healthy riding pine. That will always be the most inexcusable thing Kubes did. Running him into the ground would be a wiser move like this year at least in the 3rd year of his contract when you see the end of Foster's tunnel.

EllisUnit
05-27-2014, 04:54 PM
I dont see why so many think Arian Foster is already on the down slide.

Earl Campbell took a beating and played 8 seasons

Barry Sanders more elusive like Foster 10 seasons

Eddie George a bruiser 9 seasons

The list goes on and on. The point is that Foster in his first season only started 2 games at the end of the season, and last year he only played half a season so he has only actually played in the NFL for 4 seasons. He did not tear an ACL didnt get his knee blown out. He had a back injury that i think wasnt really as bad as we think. The season was already lost so i think it was more pre caution than anything.

If Foster comes back healthy which i believe he will going from histories stand point he has 4-5 more middle to productive seasons.

DocBar
05-27-2014, 05:06 PM
I dont see why so many think Arian Foster is already on the down slide.

Earl Campbell took a beating and played 8 seasons

Barry Sanders more elusive like Foster 10 seasons

Eddie George a bruiser 9 seasons

The list goes on and on. The point is that Foster in his first season only started 2 games at the end of the season, and last year he only played half a season so he has only actually played in the NFL for 4 seasons. He did not tear an ACL didnt get his knee blown out. He had a back injury that i think wasnt really as bad as we think. The season was already lost so i think it was more pre caution than anything.

If Foster comes back healthy which i believe he will going from histories stand point he has 4-5 more middle to productive seasons.The number of touches is what concerns me.
www.nfl.com/.../article/going-deep-is-300-the-magic-number-for-rbs

Can't go to the web page at work for some reason.

EllisUnit
05-27-2014, 05:25 PM
The number of touches is what concerns me.
www.nfl.com/.../article/going-deep-is-300-the-magic-number-for-rbs

Can't go to the web page at work for some reason.

yeah it isnt working for me either while sitting at home on my unemployed ass haha i will look up carries for each.

Eddie George - 2865... 9 seasons
Barry Sanders - 3602... 10 seasons
Earl Campbell - 2187... 8 seasons
Emmitt Smith - 4409... 15 seasons
Ladanian Tomlinson - 3174... 11 seasons
Edgerrin James - 3028... 11 seasons

FOSTER - 1131... 5 seasons

EllisUnit
05-27-2014, 05:28 PM
foster is a pseudo intellect. like a rapper who thinks he's so intelligent because he raps against the illuminati.

i knew foster was a fraud with very low IQ when he did that segment with spencer tillman about his poetry. Tillman showed what real intelligence is all about while foster came off like a conceited public school idiot sitting next to a harvard educated man.

he's even a fake vegetarian.

What are you even talking about ? Who cares he produces on the field that's all you as an NFL fan should worry about.

DocBar
05-27-2014, 05:32 PM
yeah it isnt working for me either while sitting at home on my unemployed ass haha i will look up carries for each.

Eddie George - 2865... 9 seasons
Barry Sanders - 3602... 10 seasons
Earl Campbell - 2187... 8 seasons
Emmitt Smith - 4409... 15 seasons
Ladanian Tomlinson - 3174... 11 seasons
Edgerrin James - 3028... 11 seasons

FOSTER - 1131... 5 seasonsThere's an article on the interwebs that talks about a steep decline in performance when a back gets over 300 or so carries in a single season. It's been discussed on TT before.

infantrycak
05-27-2014, 05:36 PM
There's an article on the interwebs that talks about a steep decline in performance when a back gets over 300 or so carries in a single season. It's been discussed on TT before.

It's 370 - Link (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2007/370-carries-revisited)

Foster's highest carry total is 351.

DocBar
05-27-2014, 05:37 PM
It's 370 - Link (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2007/370-carries-revisited)Thanks. I knew it was 3something.

EllisUnit
05-27-2014, 05:38 PM
It's 370 - Link (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2007/370-carries-revisited)

Foster's high carry total is 351.

Well were golden then cause Fosters highest is 351, unless you include the playoffs :voodoo:

DocBar
05-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Well were golden then cause Fosters highest is 351, unless you include the playoffs :voodoo:The playoffs count.
EDIT:Pushes that 2012 total up to 405 carries for Foster. He had 378 carries in 2011.
Kubiak Terrell Davis'd him.

All players with 390 or more carries, no matter how these carries were split between the regular season and the postseason, averaged a 33 percent drop in total yards, and an 11 percent drop in yards per carry
:firehair:

infantrycak
05-27-2014, 06:34 PM
The playoffs count.Pushes that 2012 total up to 405 carries for Foster.

:firehair:

Then they need to revise their statement because Foster is now an exception to the rule since is ypc went up from 2012 to 2013 by .4 ypc.

* the playoffs do not count for the 370 figure.

DocBar
05-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Then they need to revise their statement because Foster is now an exception to the rule since is ypc went up from 2012 to 2013 by .4 ypc.

* the playoffs do not count for the 370 figure.Is he an exception? He only played in 8 games in 2013.
Agreed on the 370 but I feel 378 is close enough to 390 to be worried about it.

infantrycak
05-27-2014, 07:03 PM

I think you are misreading your quote. It is not that each player with over 390 carries had a reduction in yards and ypc. It is that as a group they averaged a reduced number of yards and ypc. Take a look at Emmitt Smith's 91-95 seasons. Boy was stomping all over those numbers and just getting better (the missed games were due to a contract holdout).

91 - 406 carries, 4.3 ypc
92 - 441 carries, 4.6 ypc
93 - 348 carries, 5.3 ypc (holdout)
94 - 395 carries, 4.0 ypc
95 - 450 carries, 4.7 ypc

EllisUnit
05-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Is he an exception? He only played in 8 games in 2013.
Agreed on the 370 but I feel 378 is close enough to 390 to be worried about it.

I wont be worried about it until i see his play actually drop off, cause when he was out there last season he was still just as effective as ever, besides in the TD department but that was a whole team issue.

DocBar
05-27-2014, 07:32 PM
I think you are misreading your quote. It is not that each player with over 390 carries had a reduction in yards and ypc. It is that as a group they averaged a reduced number of yards and ypc. Take a look at Emmitt Smith's 91-95 seasons. Boy was stomping all over those numbers and just getting better (the missed games were due to a contract holdout).

91 - 406 carries, 4.3 ypc
92 - 441 carries, 4.6 ypc
93 - 348 carries, 5.3 ypc (holdout)
94 - 395 carries, 4.0 ypc
95 - 450 carries, 4.7 ypc

All players with 390 or more carries, no matter how these carries were split between the regular season and the postseason, averaged a 33 percent drop in total yards, and an 11 percent drop in yards per carry.

To summarize, eight of these 14 players were injured or lost effectiveness the following season. A ninth, Thomas, was still effective and healthy, but lost stamina. Three players, Davis, Campbell, and Smith (1994) had problems two seasons later, after another year of overuse. Only two of these players, Martin and Smith (1991) seemed to have no ill effects for multiple seasons afterwards.

What part am I misunderstanding?

thunderkyss
05-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Is he an exception? He only played in 8 games in 2013.

Which means he'll be like a brand new RB in 2014.

DocBar
05-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Which means he'll be like a brand new RB in 2014.Shiny and happy. Just like Herv!!:spit:

Thorn
05-27-2014, 07:51 PM
Foster is a major reason for the Texans successful seasons, when they had them. I can't believe some people are dumping on him now.

DocBar
05-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Foster is a major reason for the Texans successful seasons, when they had them. I can't believe some people are dumping on him now.Because some people realize that keeping expensive players past their prime (not saying Foster is) is bad business and that trading a player approaching that point, but still productive is good business.

I'm not for dumping Foster this year, but if he's injured again or not as productive as his salary says he should be, I'd be OK with it. With a BB disciple as HC, I expect to see some odd personnel moves at every position but QB, once he knows he has his "Tom Brady". That QB will probably be the last jersey I buy. :pop:

EllisUnit
05-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Foster is a major reason for the Texans successful seasons, when they had them. I can't believe some people are dumping on him now.

Thank you, this is exactly how i feel. Foster in the back field, AJ on the outside and you have 2 of the 3 biggest parts it takes to make an offense succesful. Well and a good oline but you get my point.