PDA

View Full Version : Rank Team Needs.

Corrosion
03-21-2014, 09:02 PM
The talk in the rebuilding thread got me to thinking about which needs have a higher priority.

I think it starts at QB , but that's pretty obvious. There is a lack of bodies along the defensive line (Watt , Crick & Powe). The OL has some holes too , especially RT and to a lesser extent LG.
Cant forget about ILB and the secondary either. That nickel CB is a starter ....

Here's my list. Obviously some get filled thru the draft but the rest need attention after the draft with bargain FA's , kinda like Mays last year.

QB - Fitzpatrick , Keenum & Yates. I don't see a starter for a contending team.

DE - Watt & .....

CB - That Nickel corner is a starter. Seriously lacking talent behind KJax and JJo.

DT/NT Only one on the roster.

RT - Newton was just bad last year. Harris is gone (for now). Neither of last years rookies contributed and finished the season on IR. The Andrew Gardner project should be over. If you think Quessenberry or B.Williams will contribute the need is less critical.

RB - Tate gone , Foster coming off of an injury riddled season. Had street FA's toting the rock late in the season. If Foster is healthy there isn't much concern for anything but a backup.

ILB - Cushing & who ? Maybe Tuggle contributes ?? Reed moves inside making a hole at OLB ??

WR & TE probably belong on the list. Not much talent behind #80 , Hopkins & Posey when healthy. Graham looks capable & Griffin showed well but neither are traditional blocking TE's.

infantrycak
03-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Qb

rt, de, ilb, nb

nt, rb

amazing80
03-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Qb

rt, de, ilb, nb

nt, rb

I would add TE to the 2nd group and OLB to the third group.

Playoffs
03-21-2014, 09:38 PM
We need 20+ players, imo... BPA.

QB, DE, SCB, RT, NT, rush OLB, big ILB, LG, Slot WR, RBs, SS, LG, and depth across majority of these and other positions plus quality move and Y TEs with an eye on replacing #1 WR, C, CB.

thunderkyss
03-21-2014, 09:43 PM
QB.. I don't see a future with what we've got
RT... maybe he's on the roster, Q or Brennan, maybe not
TE.... again, maybe on the Roster, doubt it
WR... I still got hope for Posey, but it's running out
RB... the one thing I did like about Tate, was that I thought he pushed Foster. I hate that it's got to be that way, but I think Foster works better with competing against someone on our team
K... I don't trust the Hobbit
ILB... Batman needs a Robin
SS... I miss Glover. I hope DJ works out & Crennel's defense helps him shine
OLB... if our DEs play as 2 gap defenders over the OT, maybe Brooks & Whitney can be who we need them to be

Defense beat Peyton Manning the last two years... but putting pressure on him to score was just as important as chasing him off his spot & harassing his receivers.

I don't think we'll be contending for a Super Bowl next year, but I'd rather start on our offense in 2014 since it takes longer for an offense to mature. We can add 3 or 4 defensive players in 2015 & they can start kicking butt right away.... and our offense will pull it's own weight.

I believe if we add our defensive pieces now, their efforts will be wasted as we struggle to score 16 points. Then add a few offensive pieces in 2015 & they still not gel until it's too late in the season to mean anything.

Playoffs
03-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Catching up on today's television chatter about the Schaub trade (and Fitz)...

What does it mean for the Raiders?

The Raiders do not need to take a QB at pick #5 now, there's no QB worth top 5 pick.

What does it mean for the Texans?

The Texans will be taking Blake Bortles #1.

:hmmm:
:thinking:
http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/images/smilies/lalala.gif

powda
03-21-2014, 10:13 PM
The talk in the rebuilding thread got me to thinking about which needs have a higher priority.

I think it starts at QB , but that's pretty obvious. There is a lack of bodies along the defensive line (Watt , Crick & Powe). The OL has some holes too , especially RT and to a lesser extent LG.
Cant forget about ILB and the secondary either. That nickel CB is a starter ....

Here's my list. Obviously some get filled thru the draft but the rest need attention after the draft with bargain FA's , kinda like Mays last year.

QB - Fitzpatrick , Keenum & Yates. I don't see a starter for a contending team.

DE - Watt & .....

CB - That Nickel corner is a starter. Seriously lacking talent behind KJax and JJo.

DT/NT Only one on the roster.

RT - Newton was just bad last year. Harris is gone (for now). Neither of last years rookies contributed and finished the season on IR. The Andrew Gardner project should be over. If you think Quessenberry or B.Williams will contribute the need is less critical.

RB - Tate gone , Foster coming off of an injury riddled season. Had street FA's toting the rock late in the season. If Foster is healthy there isn't much concern for anything but a backup.

ILB - Cushing & who ? Maybe Tuggle contributes ?? Reed moves inside making a hole at OLB ??

WR & TE probably belong on the list. Not much talent behind #80 , Hopkins & Posey when healthy. Graham looks capable & Griffin showed well but neither are traditional blocking TE's.

Qb

Rt, de, nt, olb
( I dont believe powe is a starter and I think reed shifts inside making olb more urgent then ilb)

nickel (agree with corrosion completely, this is basically a starting role.)

Lg, rb, ilb
(Q is my favorite for LG easily, we're counting on Cushing who's comming off 2 injuries, yeesh)

Somewhere far away in the distance i'd include te and slot wr.

The Pencil Neck
03-22-2014, 12:58 AM
1. QB -- We need someone who's going to lead this team.
2. RT -- We need someone who keeps the guy who's going to lead this team from getting killed.
3. OLB -- We need someone who can put pressure on the other team's QB without putting his hand in the dirt. Right now, I'm not convinced that's Whitney Mercilus or Brooks Reed.
4. DE -- We need someone opposite JJ.
5. ILB -- We need someone beside Cush. If Brooks Reed can fill this role, great.
6. K -- Seriously. Get Rob Bironas on the phone, STAT!
7. CB -- We need a nickel corner and/or depth. Not feeling the Brandon NoFly Harris love.
8. G -- In case Quess isn't the guy I think he is.

That would be my shopping list based on need. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't draft a TE or a WR or some other position if they were the BPA.

htownfan32
03-22-2014, 01:04 AM
1. QB -- We need someone who's going to lead this team.
2. RT -- We need someone who keeps the guy who's going to lead this team from getting killed.
3. OLB -- We need someone who can put pressure on the other team's QB without putting his hand in the dirt. Right now, I'm not convinced that's Whitney Mercilus or Brooks Reed.
4. DE -- We need someone opposite JJ.
5. ILB -- We need someone beside Cush. If Brooks Reed can fill this role, great.
6. K -- Seriously. Get Rob Bironas on the phone, STAT!
7. CB -- We need a nickel corner and/or depth. Not feeling the Brandon NoFly Harris love.
8. G -- In case Quess isn't the guy I think he is.

That would be my shopping list based on need. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't draft a TE or a WR or some other position if they were the BPA.

Absolute best case scenario with bold is that we draft an OLB high (Van Noy or Dee Ford @ 2-1) and Brooks has the ability to play inside. Kill two birds with one stone IMO.

The Pencil Neck
03-22-2014, 01:19 AM
Absolute best case scenario with bold is that we draft an OLB high (Van Noy or Dee Ford @ 2-1) and Brooks has the ability to play inside. Kill two birds with one stone IMO.

That's what I'm hoping.

Last year, I was really, really wanting us to find a good ILB in the draft. It didn't happen and that hurt us in the long run.

Scooter
03-22-2014, 05:44 AM
right tackle, inside linebacker, nose tackle, and depth in the secondary are our main concerns.

left guard, right defensive end, outside linebacker, and depth at runningback are question marks.

obviously i'm missing a big one that most will label first, and that's quarterback. i'm leaving it out because honestly i dont know where we're at at quarterback. i'm not ready to write off keenum because he couldnt carry the epic failure our team became last year, and i'm a bit curious to see what fitz can do on a team that isnt quite the disaster that he's used to. we most likely need our "QB of the future", but i'm in more of a wait and see approach here.

No Worries
03-22-2014, 08:04 AM
Offense starters:

QB, RT, LG, FB

Defense starters:

Front seven minus JJ and Cushing

bah007
03-22-2014, 04:02 PM
1. QB - Starter
2. DE - Starter
3. NT - Starter
4. RT - Starter
5. ILB - Starter
6. OLB - Starter
7. RB - Depth
8. DE - Depth
9. ILB - Depth
10. CB - Depth
11. S - Depth
12. TE - Depth
13. OT - Depth
14. OLB - Depth
15. OG - Depth

LikeMike
03-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Here is my ranking:

1. QB
2. RT
3. ILB
4. NT
5. DE
6. TE
7. OLB
8. OG
9. HB
10. WR
11. K

QB is obviously our biggest need. We might have our RT on the team already, but that`s what we were thinking the last two seasons. With a real RT we`d have made the playoffs last season (no, I am not crazy - we headed into a downward spiral because of losses...), so I am not ready to just hope on the guys on our roster.

We don`t really have anyone who can play next to Cushing, and his health is a concern. NT is an important position in Crennels defense, so is DE. TE is a little bit more of a luxury, but I expect BoB wants to play with lots of 2 TE sets. We can always use another pass rusher, or at the very least depht behind Mercilus and Reed. Our O-line could use another guard, maybe Quess can take that spot.

With Tate gone, we could really usa an HB to push Foster. We don`t know if we have a reliable slot receiver yet - who knows if Martin or Posey can fit that role. And our kicking last year was atrocious - I don`t know if I feel comfortable to give Bullock another chance.

TheIronDuke
03-22-2014, 05:03 PM
QB, RT, 2 ILB's (not Brooks Reed, can't rely on Cushing), OLB (replace Reed), DE, NT, nickel CB (please not Harris).

ObsiWan
03-22-2014, 11:03 PM
right tackle, inside linebacker, nose tackle, and depth in the secondary are our main concerns.

left guard, right defensive end, outside linebacker, and depth at runningback are question marks.

obviously i'm missing a big one that most will label first, and that's quarterback. i'm leaving it out because honestly i dont know where we're at at quarterback. i'm not ready to write off keenum because he couldnt carry the epic failure our team became last year, and i'm a bit curious to see what fitz can do on a team that isnt quite the disaster that he's used to. we most likely need our "QB of the future", but i'm in more of a wait and see approach here.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I'd like to use this year to install/improve the supporting cast for our franchise QB - whoever that might be. I know I'm alone here, but I'm just not convinced that guy is in this draft.

JB
03-23-2014, 01:05 AM
speed, nt, speed, ilb, speed, OT, speed, cb, speed, ILB, speed, S, speed, rb

Really need to improve team speed

kingtexan
03-23-2014, 08:27 AM
QB
CB
ILB
DT
RT
OLB
K
cheerleaders with bigger butts

kiwitexansfan
03-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Defensive Tackle - Powe and nobody...... yeah huge issue.
ILB - Cushing might get back on the field but at some point we need to write him off and apart from him...... yeesh.
DE - JJ, Crick, Jamison.... that is a precipitious fall off
CB - JJo and KJ are solid enough but after that, AAARGH my eyes
T - Newton is still projected to start FULLSTOP
QB - I don't mind Pickspatrick, but he is not the future
IL - Left Guard is an issue we need to fix

DocBar
03-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Qb

rt, de, ilb, nb

nt, rb

What is an nb? nickel back?

mussop
03-23-2014, 04:29 PM

I'm pretty sure it does. I agree with all of his choices as well. I'd also add OG and OLB as well.

infantrycak
03-23-2014, 04:31 PM

I'm pretty sure it does. I agree with all of his choices as well. I'd also add OG and OLB as well.

You are both correct.

ljhog
03-23-2014, 08:22 PM
The NFL is a QB league. Go get Ryan Mallett from NE.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
03-23-2014, 09:11 PM
Qb

olb

fs

Corrosion
03-24-2014, 07:17 AM
The NFL is a QB league. Go get Ryan Mallett from NE.

Damn near everyone in this thread realizes that QB is the most obvious need , there is a 47 page thread on "who's your QB" .... what about the rest of the teams needs ?? That's the discussion here .... :kitten:

Sigma
03-24-2014, 07:32 AM
what about center?

we just have 1 right?

Scooter
03-24-2014, 07:38 AM
what about center?

we just have 1 right?

ben jones is the backup interior lineman, best suited to play center.

thunderkyss
03-24-2014, 08:13 AM
what about center?

we just have 1 right?

Ben Jones was arguably the best center of his draft class.

Corrosion
03-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Ben Jones was arguably the best center of his draft class.

Yeah , I think Center is one of the few positions this team is solid at with Myers and Jones. Maybe Safety as I like Keo more than most , think he played well when given the opportunity. With he , Swearinger , Manning and the recent signing of Kendrick Lewis they wont have to add another body there.

Damn near every other position needs some help , from starter to depth.

Hervoyel
03-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Team Needs (As I see them)

1. Super Bowl Victories. Biggest need the team has at this point in time. Most likely this will remain at the top of the teams list of needs. Expect to see it year in and year out.

2. Super Bowl Appearances. Nearly as important as #1.

3. Playoff Wins.

4. Playoff Appearances.

5. Division Championships.

6. Regular Season Wins.

Wait, that's not what you meant?

TexansFTW
03-25-2014, 10:15 AM
Yeah , I think Center is one of the few positions this team is solid at with Myers and Jones. Maybe Safety as I like Keo more than most , think he played well when given the opportunity. With he , Swearinger , Manning and the recent signing of Kendrick Lewis they wont have to add another body there.

Damn near every other position needs some help , from starter to depth.

Let's talk safety for a minute. So we have Manning and Swearinger AKA Jungle Boi Swagg at SS.

I know Keo looked improved last year, but I don't think he could get any worse than he was in the past. So are we confident moving forward with Keo/Lewis (who might be washed up/not that good (what I think) or might be good again with Romeo C) as our starting FS?

It appears by signing Lewis, we are likely not going to further address the FS position which I felt should be addressed, but like you all are saying, it's kind of low on the list. Would you address it in the draft? By address I mean 4th round or earlier.

Wolf6151
03-26-2014, 04:20 PM
Team needs, as I see them:
1. QB, obviously.
2. RT, Newton sucked and B. Williams probably will never play. Someone has to protect our new investment at QB.
3. OLB, in the 2 gap system the OLB's are the play makers and a good OLB fixes 2 spots by moving Reed to ILB.
4. FS, a good FS offers better support to the CB's allowing them to take chances occasionally and making the secondary better as a whole.
5. DE, we currently got Watt and Crick, but we need an upgrade at DE and depth.
6. CB, we need added competition with Brandon Harris for the nickle spot, current depth, and future starters at the position.
7. RB, we've currently got an injured Foster and ..........
8. LB corp. depth, the heart of a 3-4 defense is the LB corp. and we need depth badly.
9. O-line depth, we need depth at OG and OT.

Norg
03-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Lets get dis Beast CLowney and THe rest of the draft will be rosey has long has we have him

it will make our entire Def that much better he will effect the Lber core and the secondary

has far has needs man we need help everwhere cus last year we sucked hardcore

badboy
03-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Identifying needs is easy part, getting right player each round to fill need is primo.

Bleed_Blu_Red
03-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Well we got quite a few Pick's this year, so there will be some moving of picks I rank team needs like this.

1.QB
2.DL or LB
3.RT
4.CB
5.RB
6.WR
7.TE

honored82
03-29-2014, 07:58 AM
Lets get dis Beast CLowney and THe rest of the draft will be rosey has long has we have him

it will make our entire Def that much better he will effect the Lber core and the secondary

John Mclain has been saying that
- Texans already went that route with Mario Williams and look what we got.
- Clowney doesn't fit RC scheme
- Clowney never played a snap with his hand in the dirt

mussop
03-29-2014, 08:39 AM
John Mclain has been saying that
- Texans already went that route with Mario Williams and look what we got.
- Clowney doesn't fit RC scheme
- Clowney never played a snap with his hand in the dirt

McLain emphatically said three weeks ago that we would NOT trade Matt Schaub. He's wrong as much as he is right.

Clowney wouldn't be playing with his hand in the dirt. He would be playing the elephant position. Players that have played the position in this defense have said Clowney could play it.

If RAC couldn't find a way to use a talent like Clowney then he isn't much of a coach.

SAMURAITEXAN
03-29-2014, 09:02 AM
McClain is working for chronicle not for the Texans. He may get more info than many of us here but, he is not a member of Texans' FO. So, his insight can be wrong as his prediction has been wrong many times in the past.

honored82
03-29-2014, 09:46 AM
I hope Mclain will be wrong. I will tweet this picture to him if he is wrong.
http://i58.tinypic.com/2pys0id.jpg

honored82
04-08-2014, 04:15 AM
According to Rotoworld this is our starting line up. This should help understand better where our Biggest Need is.

Texans Current First-Team Offense

QB: Ryan Fitzpatrick
RB: Arian Foster
WR: Andre Johnson
WR: DeAndre Hopkins
TE: Garrett Graham
TE: Ryan Griffin
LT: Duane Brown
LG: Ben Jones
C: Chris Myers
RG: Brandon Brooks
RT: Derek Newton

Texans Current First-Team Defense

LE: J.J. Watt
RE: Jared Crick
NT: Jerrell Powe
ILB: Brian Cushing
ILB: Jeff Tarpinian
OLB: Whitney Mercilus
OLB: Brooks Reed
LCB: Kareem Jackson
RCB: Johnathan Joseph
FS: Chris Clemons
SS: D.J. Swearinger

Scooter
04-08-2014, 05:17 AM
According to Rotoworld this is our starting line up. This should help understand better where our Biggest Need is.

call me crazy or a homer - or both. i dont think that's a bad lineup overall. the two that stand out to me are derek newton and jeff tarpinian ... neither have any business being near a starting job. most of the rest are at worst competent starters, and all the way up to all-pros. i think quess takes over at LG, there's no guarantee that fitz is the QB, and we'll have a draft pick or two win starting jobs on defense. provided we address those two most glaring holes (RT and ILB) and do a fair amount of work building depth, i'm ok going into next season with that lineup.

Scooter
04-08-2014, 05:30 AM
double

honored82
04-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Definitely does not look bad at all. They are all starters if the season started today. Offense looks better than Defense.

Offense : RT needs upgrade immediately. Ben jones and Quess should handle LG
Defense : DE, NT, ILB needs upgrade immediately.

so Just 5 dire need positions including QB. We need a Quality ILB in the early rounds. NT, CB, RB, TE, WR can wait for later rounds.

HOU-TEX
04-08-2014, 11:02 AM
The 1st team defense looks horrendous compared to the offense, and that's including the Fitz at QB. Especially the front 7. Watt, Cush then bleh

BullNation4Life
04-08-2014, 11:05 AM
QB
RT
Nick DB
DE
NT
depth at all other positions

Not too concerned with the DE and NT in this defense, I know you need a big fat guy to plug holes but may need to go with what you can this year and look for those positions next year...

honored82
04-08-2014, 11:48 AM
The 1st team defense looks horrendous compared to the offense, and that's including the Fitz at QB. Especially the front 7. Watt, Cush then bleh

Add Clowney, and then we will get Instant Media attention!!!

ObsiWan
04-08-2014, 12:53 PM

The bolded positions need serious upgrading.
And as everyone has said, we need quality depth, especially on defense. A decent nickle CB or cover safety would be great. A quality OLB to rush the passer and a ILB that can cover when needed are needed to build a solid D.
I'm convinced we would have won more games last year if the first string defense didn't have to be on the field so long OR if there wasn't such a drop-off when the second string came out.

Oh and have I mentioned to you guys that RT is an issue...?

ObsiWan
04-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Add Clowney, and then we will get Instant Media attention!!!
WINNING will get us all the media attention we need.

thunderkyss
04-08-2014, 01:00 PM

RB: Arian Foster*
WR: Andre Johnson*
WR: DeAndre Hopkins*
LT: Duane Brown*
C: Chris Myers*

LE: J.J. Watt*
ILB: Brian Cushing*
LCB: Kareem Jackson*
RCB: Johnathan Joseph*

* means bonafide starter, possible pro-bowl/all-pro player.

I'm giving DAndre the benefit of the doubt. I feel really good about him. I like players who get in, go to work, & let their play speak for them. I don't have problem with a guy who runs off at the mouth & backs it up, but Dj Swag's play has a little catching up to do. I saw flashes. Just need to see more.

I like Brandon Brooks, I think he can be a solid starter. I'm not seeing pro-bowl or All-pro caliber, but maybe it's there. I also like Ben Jones. I think he plays well enough & would be a solid starter if he had the opportunity to play more.

I think Crick is about the same on the other side of the ball. He'll be a good solid starter.

I like Chris Clemons, or at least what I've read. I like him enough not to panic about FS. I like Tarpinian (I also like Mohamed)

That's a nice football team. Not championship caliber or anything like that, but if they get better QB play than what we had last season, that team can win in 2014.

If we can get just 3 starters out of this draft (I know, asking a lot) then that's a very good roster. Add a franchise QB & I can see play offs year after year after year.

Blake
04-08-2014, 01:17 PM
We wont know the biggest needs until we know what type of offense and defense they plan on running. Probably wont know that until after the draft.

Texanmike02
04-09-2014, 04:16 PM

We need to make sure to get a new NI. (Norg Interpreter)

Mike

honored82
04-09-2014, 04:34 PM
lol but seriously though we need to add a good DE and LB. Look what other teams have done in our division, while we did nothing

Jags added Defensive ends Chris Clemons and Red Bryant.
Colts added DE Arthur Jones and LB D'Qwell Jackson
Titans added DE Shaun Phillips and LB Wesley Woodyard

Lurvinator11
04-09-2014, 05:22 PM
We need to make sure to get a new NI. (Norg Interpreter)

Mike

ets get dis Beast CLowney and THe rest of the draft will be rosey has long has we have him

He said:

We should draft Clowney, who might I add, is a beast. If we draft him, we can tank the rest of the draft, as long as we got Clowney in the first. He will make not only the Dline better, but it will also impact the Linebackers in a positive fashion. (We have?) needs everywhere, so we should look to improve from last year, because last year just wasn't that good.

ObsiWan
04-09-2014, 08:48 PM
ets get dis Beast CLowney and THe rest of the draft will be rosey has long has we have him

He said:

We should draft Clowney, who might I add, is a beast. If we draft him, we can tank the rest of the draft, as long as we got Clowney in the first. He will make not only the Dline better, but it will also impact the Linebackers in a positive fashion. (We have?) needs everywhere, so we should look to improve from last year, because last year just wasn't that good.
Not bad...
Do you do CoachSpeak too?
:)

Pitbull 56
04-09-2014, 08:56 PM
QB.

ILB.

DE.

I don't think there is a QB in the 14 class worth the 1st pick with that being said, I would have to roll with Clowney. Hopefully, McCarron falls to the 3rd.

:d:

Texas Nomad
04-09-2014, 09:11 PM
QB.

ILB.

DE.

I don't think there is a QB in the 14 class worth the 1st pick with that being said, I would have to roll with Clowney. Hopefully, McCarron falls to the 3rd.

:d:

Congrats on the new grandchild oldtimer.

honored82
04-09-2014, 11:09 PM
DE Stephon Tuitt is visiting the Texans Thursday. May be he is on the radar for pick 2.1 and Bortles with 1.1

kiwitexansfan
04-10-2014, 01:02 AM
lol but seriously though we need to add a good DE and LB. Look what other teams have done in our division, while we did nothing

Jags added Defensive ends Chris Clemons and Red Bryant.
Colts added DE Arthur Jones and LB D'Qwell Jackson
Titans added DE Shaun Phillips and LB Wesley Woodyard

Maybe that means we need to add OL?

honored82
04-10-2014, 04:05 AM
Maybe that means we need to add OL?

Yea, Mercilus has not lived up to his First Round Pick expectations. Either way we need to put pressure on QB's. Not sure how our QB will perform with those FA signings our division rivals have done.