PDA

View Full Version : Pitt QB Tom Savage

Playoffs
03-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Pitt QB Tom Savage keeps popping up on my radar, so I'm giving him a thread. He's had a bumpy road on his was to becoming a draft prospect, getting crossways with Greg Schiano and losing HC w/ pro system. Might be on OB's 3rd day radar... ?

http://i.imgur.com/VPVfAgR.gif
6'4 1/4", 228 lbs., big arm.

OB personally attended his pro day and had him throw specific passes.

Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN
@Gil_Brandt I applaud you. Tom Savage is for real.

And doing it all within the structure of an NFL-style passing game/offense that he played in/started in just 1 season.

No QB in this draft class making the 18-22yd opposite "college" hash corner and comeback throws like Savage can. Mad I am late watching him.

Considering circumstances - background, play history, character, scheme, talent played with....Savage should be getting much more attention.

Finally getting to watch QB Tom Savage closely, and as some have told me, he makes some serious big-time throws. This should be fun..

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt Mar 12
C'mon, Phil. I was touting Tom Savage 6 months ago. RT @seniorbowl: @SeniorBowlPhil Savage names his 'super sleepers' http://bit.ly/19hUGhn

Tom Savage 2nd best ball velocity behind LThomas

> Tom Savage was best QB in second group. better athlete than anticipated. Best velocity, accuracy in 2nd group of QBs.

Best QB in 2nd group was Tom Savage. Has a gun for arm.

Tom Savage: The best QB prospect you've never heard of (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000260414/article/tom-savage-the-best-qb-prospect-youve-never-heard-of)
By Gil Brandt | NFL Media senior analyst
Watching this game, the quarterback, Tom Savage, reminded me a lot of a player I had the privilege to scout and eventually draft back in the 1980s -- Troy Aikman...

2014 Pitt Pro Day (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24466052/pro-days-penn-state-dt-donald-continues-climb)
Bill O'Brien of the Houston Texans made Pitt his first pro day stop as an NFL head coach. Four quarterbacks coaches and Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly were also in attendance according to Pitt's Sports Information Department.
Quarterback Tom Savage, who could be a late-round riser, went through a scripted workout of 100 passes. Savage (6-4, 228), has the arm strength to be at least a quality backup.

A two-time transfer, Savage said he patiently explains to scouts that his travels should not be a red flag. But his limited experience against FBS defenses do complicate Savage's evaluation. Savage, who also attended Rutgers and Arizona, said it doesn't have to be a negative.

"I've been in three different systems, probably four or five different offensive coordinators. I don't even know anymore I've been to so many schools," Savage said. "You kind of have to pick it up on the run. You have to learn on your own. At Pittsburgh, I had to walk on and earn my spot. I had to pick up the offense and learn it by myself. Being ineligible you can't offer to much to the team. You really have to grind in the film room and pick it up on your own, kind of like the NFL will be. There will be veterans that know the playbook. They're not going to slow down for some rookie."

Playoffs
03-20-2014, 11:50 AM
ESPN Insider: Developmental Day 3 bargains (http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl-draft/post?id=3635)

...there are a pair of developmental quarterbacks in Pitt’s Tom Savage and Georgia’s Aaron Murray who are creating buzz among NFL personnel. These two QBs also have caught my eye on recent film study.

In my opinion, Savage is one of the most underrated quarterbacks in this class. A highly touted recruit out of high school, Savage was a double transfer who started his career at Rutgers before transferring to Arizona and then to Pitt once Arizona hired Rich Rodriguez, who didn't see Savage as a fit in his spread zone-read offense.

I had a chance to see Savage live twice this fall: once against Duke and once against Miami late in the season. In addition, after working through six more coaches' tapes, the things that jump out about Savage are his stature, his arm strength and his polished mechanics. At nearly 6-foot-4 and 228 pounds, Savage has a sturdy build and, along with Logan Thomas, might have one of the strongest arms in the class. He is an effortless thrower of the football, which means the ball comes clean off his hands with plenty of rpm and finishes with a lot of energy without having to overcompensate with his mechanics, particularly in his lower body.

Savage also has experience in a pro-style system, and it shows with his ability to get to his second and third reads. Although he still has developing to do in terms of touch and accuracy as a deep-ball thrower, he is steady in the short to intermediate part of the field and frequently provided his receivers the opportunity to run after the catch.

It's obvious Savage lacks ideal athleticism for the position and will never be a running threat at the next level. However, he has above-average pocket instincts and functional mobility moving within the pocket to buy time. In addition, he stands strong in the pocket, rarely blinks in the face of pressure and will stare down the gun barrel to deliver an accurate throw while taking a hit.

There are plenty of variables that need to go into Savage’s evaluation. First, being a double transfer, he was unable to gain any type of stability learning and gaining experience within one system. Second, and most important, in my opinion, was the lack of a supporting cast. Up front, the Panthers' offensive line was a nightmare in protection -- particularly on the right side of the line -- surrendering 43 sacks, which ranked 118th out of 123 FBS teams (a handful were on Savage for holding the ball too long). In addition, aside from freshman WR Tyler Boyd, the Panthers' perimeter was plagued by critical drops throughout the year.

This leads to the toughness Savage displayed this year both physically and mentally. I don’t know whether I’ve seen a quarterback take more physical punishment than Savage did this past fall. He was constantly being knocked to the ground throughout each tape I watched: against Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Syracuse, Florida State and North Carolina.

When I spoke with a defensive assistant coach during pregame of the Panthers' regular-season finale against Miami, he praised Savage’s toughness and leadership skills throughout the season. The coach claimed that it would have been easy for Savage to go into the tank but that he continued to battle and to compete while maintaining a positive attitude with his teammates.

Savage is far from a finished product. However, he displays a physical skill set that translates well to the next level. In addition, he is built for the inclement weather, and teams such as the Jets, Bears, Bills, Packers and Bengals looking to add a developmental backup to their roster could find strong value for Savage early in the Day 3 range...

_King_
03-20-2014, 11:53 AM
I watched some film of Savage last night...and man...He can really spin the ball...

I like him as a later round development guy.

Playoffs
03-20-2014, 12:07 PM
On why he missed EWSG & Senior Bowl... (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-nfl-draft/2014/2/26/5448932/2014-nfl-combine-results-quarterbacks-wide-receivers)
...a hit there during the bowl game fractured his ribs and bruised a kidney. He had some internal bleeding as well, so a long rest was needed.

That meant Savage had to decline an invitation to the East-West Shrine Game. He also had to miss the Senior Bowl, as he was to be an alternate...

beerlover
03-20-2014, 12:32 PM
big Savage fan, mocked him to Texans with 4th round selection but some like Cak disagree Seems like throwing away a 4th round pick.

infantrycak
03-20-2014, 01:25 PM
big Savage fan, mocked him to Texans with 4th round selection but some like Cak disagree

Great pick for a team like the Patriots. Wasted pick for the Texans at this time.

bah007
03-20-2014, 03:01 PM
There's a lot of potential in Savage but I think people are going a little bit overboard with this stuff. Just like usual, some guy looks good in shorts at the combine and people are all over him. Look at the tape.

Savage takes as many sacks as any college QB not named Logan Thomas. Blame his line all you want but a lot of them are his fault. A ton of them actually.

If you want the scoop on Savage try to find these three games from this season:

9/21 at Duke - 424 yards and 6 TDs in a 58-55 shootout win

9/28 Virginia - 41% completion, 6.1 YPA, -57 rushing yards, and 2 INTs in a win against Virginia (hint: defense gets the game ball)

10/12 @ Virginia Tech - 46% completion, 6.6 YPA in a 19-9 loss in which Thomas outplayed him drastically

Hervoyel
03-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Great pick for a team like the Patriots. Wasted pick for the Texans at this time.

What if he was still around in the 5th?

If we still had Casserly he'd grab in the 3rd like he did Ragone :)

infantrycak
03-21-2014, 10:50 AM
What if he was still around in the 5th?

If we still had Casserly he'd grab in the 3rd like he did Ragone :)

With the Texans' situation I am taking a swing at someone I think can be the starting QB in 2015 (maybe earlier). Anything other than that is a waste IMO. I am not saying has to be 1st round - just belief by the coaches he is the future. QBs have one of only two modes - starter or piece of meat. 5th or any other place in the draft, starters or at least rotational players can be found at other positions. I'd rather nail the kicker we want in the 7th rather than spend the pick on a QB.

beerlover
03-21-2014, 12:00 PM
With the Texans' situation I am taking a swing at someone I think can be the starting QB in 2015 (maybe earlier). Anything other than that is a waste IMO. I am not saying has to be 1st round - just belief by the coaches he is the future. QBs have one of only two modes - starter or piece of meat. 5th or any other place in the draft, starters or at least rotational players can be found at other positions. I'd rather nail the kicker we want in the 7th rather than spend the pick on a QB.

name someone not in 1st rd. this years class. who is to say Texans don't look QB next years draft who could start? Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, Kevin Hogan, Bryce Petty.

in regards to Savage, I think your doing an excellent smoke screen job for Bill. http://www.stateofthetexans.com/blog/2014/03/04/bill-obrien-first-stop-pitts-pro-day/ The headline players were defensive lineman Aaron Donald, wide receiver Devin Street and quarterback Tom Savage. The Texans had a formal interview with Donald at the NFL combine, and O’Brien meet with Savage after his workout that consisted with over 100 scripted passes. O’Brien even instructed Savage to make some throws he wanted to see after his workout for the 28 teams in attendance. Reports are that Savage threw well and showed impressive arm strength and accuracy in the cold conditions (Kevin Weidl, ESPN) facts suggest otherwise :specnatz:

infantrycak
03-21-2014, 12:10 PM
name someone not in 1st rd. this years class. who is to say Texans don't look QB next years draft who could start? Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, Kevin Hogan, Bryce Petty.

Was the first supposed to be a question? Garoppalo, Murray, Mettenberger, Carr. Polish or cut the gem prospects not create the gem prospects.

I am against waiting a year to get a rookie to start immediately next year as well at this point as nobody looks like a Luck sure fire worth waiting for prospect. That's a plan to write two seasons off IMO and I don't see it as either likely or wise. When the season starts in 2014 I believe OB will have a QB on the roster he believes will start no later than 2015.

Honoring Earl 34
03-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Was the first supposed to be a question? Garoppalo, Murray, Mettenberger, Carr. Polish or cut the gem prospects not create the gem prospects.

I am against waiting a year to get a rookie to start immediately next year as well at this point as nobody looks like a Luck sure fire worth waiting for prospect. That's a plan to write two seasons off IMO and I don't see it as either likely or wise. When the season starts in 2014 I believe OB will have a QB on the roster he believes will start no later than 2015.

You can raise the bridge or lower the water IMO .

If no stud muffin QB is there , draft the best player and make the team better for the lesser QB drafted later .

If I deem a prospect , say , at OT or DE/OLB as a 9.3 prospect and the best QB prospect is a 7.8 , you'd be crazy to draft the QB .

powda
03-21-2014, 12:19 PM
If I deem a prospect , say , at OT or DE/OLB as a 9.3 prospect and the best QB prospect is a 7.8 , you'd be crazy to draft the QB .

Do you think the gap in talent between clowney (or whoever) and any Qb in this draft is that drastic?

NCTexan
03-21-2014, 12:24 PM

What always gets me about this is that this is what people were saying about this years class... Boyd. Bridgewater, etc.

infantrycak
03-21-2014, 12:36 PM
You can raise the bridge or lower the water IMO .

If no stud muffin QB is there , draft the best player and make the team better for the lesser QB drafted later .

Totally irrelevant to what I am saying. I am not saying force a QB into any selection. If they don't believe any QB in this draft can start in 2015 then don't waste a pick on any of them in any round.

beerlover
03-21-2014, 01:22 PM
What always gets me about this is that this is what people were saying about this years class... Boyd. Bridgewater, etc.

I would take a shot on Boyd in 4th as well if that who O'Brian likes :fingergun:

beerlover
03-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Was the first supposed to be a question? Garoppalo, Murray, Mettenberger, Carr.

yes & you followed through like a champ. All of which would be even worse. Let's just take a new Car :drunk: We started with David, then took a Schuab (lemon) then only makes sense to buy into Derek. Garoppalo is way over hyped after reviewing game film, he is worse than Savage under pressure & lacks size/strength. Murray I like but certainly not that high, coming off acl think he is there in the 5th/6th. Mettenberger is a whiny baby, cannot move around in the pocket & forces the ball, maybe not unlike Savage in this regard but lacks his toughness.

The Pencil Neck
03-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Do you think the gap in talent between clowney (or whoever) and any Qb in this draft is that drastic?

I do.

The Pencil Neck
03-21-2014, 01:47 PM

Yep. Same here.

Honoring Earl 34
03-21-2014, 01:55 PM

I do.

FWIW......

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker#dt-by-name-input:b/dt-tabs:dt-by-grade

I hate to say it but Clowney is elite . Look where he ranks at 3 different positions .

http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-combine-ratings/2014/

The Pencil Neck
03-21-2014, 02:07 PM
FWIW......

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker#dt-by-name-input:b/dt-tabs:dt-by-grade

7.5 to 6.4/6.3 is a pretty drastic drop.

Honoring Earl 34
03-21-2014, 02:15 PM
7.5 to 6.4/6.3 is a pretty drastic drop.

It's even a bigger drop from Clowney to the next DL .

_King_
03-21-2014, 02:16 PM
I think I'm starting to lean more towards taking Clowney...

santo
03-21-2014, 02:22 PM
I think I'm starting to lean more towards taking Clowney...

Maybe that's what O'Brien meant when he said "that's enough" during Bortles' pro-day.

Probably didn't see a difference between any of the quarterbacks.

Welcome to the Texans, Clowney. :specnatz:

bah007
03-21-2014, 02:52 PM
I love the wait til next year argument on the QBs. I'm not saying we have to take one #1 but considering what is going on with this class right now it's a hilarious attempt.

Last year, this QB class had can't miss talent. Now, nobody wants any of them.

But just wait til next year. The QBs in that class have can't miss talent...

thunderkyss
03-21-2014, 03:11 PM

NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker/by-name#dt-tabs:dt-by-grade/dt-by-position-input:qb) doesn't think it's that wide this year.

Clowney is graded at 7.5

the highest graded QB is Bortles at 6.4 with six players in between.

The Pencil Neck
03-21-2014, 03:34 PM
NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker/by-name#dt-tabs:dt-by-grade/dt-by-position-input:qb) doesn't think it's that wide this year.

Clowney is graded at 7.5

the highest graded QB is Bortles at 6.4 with six players in between.

That's a pretty big drop-off in rating. There may not be a lot of people in between, but when you're looking at a scale that's going from 0 to 7.5, each 0.75 is a 10% drop. So on a scale of 0-100 where Clowney is 100, someone like Robinson would be at about 90, and Bortles at about 85.

Using the old college scale of 90-100 = A, 80-89 = B, 70-79 = C, 60-69 = D, then you've got to ask yourself if you want an A with someone like Clowney or Watkins or if you want a B with someone like Bortles or Bridgewater.

And that's all assuming you rate these guys the same way NFL.com does.

I personally feel the drop-off is bigger than that.

amazing80
03-21-2014, 03:36 PM
If BOB is really set on getting a developmental guy I like Savage and Murray the best.

Honoring Earl 34
03-21-2014, 03:47 PM
That's a pretty big drop-off in rating. There may not be a lot of people in between, but when you're looking at a scale that's going from 0 to 7.5, each 0.75 is a 10% drop. So on a scale of 0-100 where Clowney is 100, someone like Robinson would be at about 90, and Bortles at about 85.

Using the old college scale of 90-100 = A, 80-89 = B, 70-79 = C, 60-69 = D, then you've got to ask yourself if you want an A with someone like Clowney or Watkins or if you want a B with someone like Bortles or Bridgewater.

And that's all assuming you rate these guys the same way NFL.com does.

I personally feel the drop-off is bigger than that.

I think the QB position gives them a 10% b00st in grade .

Honoring Earl 34
03-21-2014, 03:48 PM
I love the wait til next year argument on the QBs. I'm not saying we have to take one #1 but considering what is going on with this class right now it's a hilarious attempt.

Last year, this QB class had can't miss talent. Now, nobody wants any of them.

But just wait til next year. The QBs in that class have can't miss talent...

No one is saying next year , they are saying next round .

bah007
03-21-2014, 03:59 PM
No one is saying next year , they are saying next round .

I was tagging onto this discussion:

name someone not in 1st rd. this years class. who is to say Texans don't look QB next years draft who could start? Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, Kevin Hogan, Bryce Petty....

beerlover
03-21-2014, 04:19 PM

Haha, I am no one, lol.

IDEXAN
03-21-2014, 05:56 PM
Maybe that's what O'Brien meant when he said "that's enough" during Bortles' pro-day.

Probably didn't see a difference between any of the quarterbacks.

Welcome to the Texans, Clowney. :specnatz:
That's a real possibility, and there's also a lot of NFL guys who don't think there's a first-round QB in this Draft.

bhsman
03-21-2014, 06:08 PM

Probably because three of the people you mention didn't enter the draft, which is part of the reason why people thought this QB class was going to be stacked. :p Half of the big names are just waiting until next year, plus you never know who shows up next season.

bah007
03-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Probably because three of the people you mention didn't enter the draft, which is part of the reason why people thought this QB class was going to be stacked. :p Half of the big names are just waiting until next year, plus you never know who shows up next season.

Reason #1 why banking on next year is a bad idea. Next year's #1 QB, Winston, has already said that he plans to play two more years at Florida St.

If you don't like anybody this year then obviously don't take anybody. But don't pass on a guy you like because you see a guy in next year's draft that you like more. That's ridiculous. So much could happen between now and then.

bhsman
03-22-2014, 11:21 PM
Reason #1 why banking on next year is a bad idea. Next year's #1 QB, Winston, has already said that he plans to play two more years at Florida St.

If you don't like anybody this year then obviously don't take anybody. But don't pass on a guy you like because you see a guy in next year's draft that you like more. That's ridiculous. So much could happen between now and then.

I know, but this is also a good reason not to get hung up on getting a position filled this year with a high pick, especially if it's not the BPA.

Playoffs
03-23-2014, 11:25 AM
A well-connected NFL source told ESPN's Todd McShay (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/131027/tom-savage) that he'd be surprised if Pittsburgh QB Tom Savage wasn't picked on Day 2.

The postseason QB prospect darling continues to take on helium as evaluators become infatuated with his arm strength on film. McShay called Savage's OTs last season at Pitt the worst he's ever seen at college football's highest level, and he joked earlier this month that Savage "could build [a] strong malpractice suit vs. [his] supporting cast" with the Panthers.

Savage was a relative unknown heading into last season after beginning his college career at Rutgers, transferring to Arizona State, and finally settling in at Pittsburgh for one season as a starting QB. Coaches have egos, too, and you can bet the house that at least a few QB coaches will swear to their GMs that they can make an NFL player out of these tools. Mar 22 - 5:00 PM
Source: ESPN's First Draft podcast
:rolleyes:

bah007
03-23-2014, 12:33 PM
I know, but this is also a good reason not to get hung up on getting a position filled this year with a high pick, especially if it's not the BPA.

I certainly agree with that. I'm not stuck on any one position with the #1 pick. I want the player that will make the biggest positive impact.

It's funny that QB is the only position that people use this argument for. You never hear anyone talk about passing on a LT because there is a great one in next year's class.

The Pencil Neck
03-23-2014, 12:44 PM
I certainly agree with that. I'm not stuck on any one position with the #1 pick. I want the player that will make the biggest positive impact.

It's funny that QB is the only position that people use this argument for. You never hear anyone talk about passing on a LT because there is a great one in next year's class.

Actually... I think I have heard something similar to... "Don't draft a WR high in this draft because there are going to be a lot of great ones next year." I think... was it SteelB or Beerlover?... someone said that last year.

I mean, it's nowhere near as often but iirc, I've heard it said on this board about WRs and defensive backs.

bah007
03-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Actually... I think I have heard something similar to... "Don't draft a WR high in this draft because there are going to be a lot of great ones next year." I think... was it SteelB or Beerlover?... someone said that last year.

I mean, it's nowhere near as often but iirc, I've heard it said on this board about WRs and defensive backs.

Maybe it has been said around here and I just haven't seen it.

I still think it's a terrible idea. If the WR is the player that will make the biggest positive impact then you are making a mistake by passing on him. If he isn't then you shouldn't draft him regardless of who is in the draft next year.

beerlover
03-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Maybe it has been said around here and I just haven't seen it.

I still think it's a terrible idea. If the WR is the player that will make the biggest positive impact then you are making a mistake by passing on him. If he isn't then you shouldn't draft him regardless of who is in the draft next year.

Having the first selection puts you in control, what you do with it can make or break your draft.

Looks like a collision course has been set with Blake Bortles. Matches up with salary usually paid out to position as well new coach Bill O'Brian, stop gap free agent QB Ryan Fitzpatrick who is making back-up money & jettisoned out of H-Town starting QB Matt Schaub.

Regardless, still forcing a pick over bpa who isn't game ready, biggest impact you seek.

beerlover
03-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Tom Savage velocity from combine tested ahead of Blake Bortles. YEAR: 2014

Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech 60
Stephen Morris, Miami 59
Tom Savage, Pittsburgh 57
Blake Bortles, Central Florida 56
Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois 56
Jeff Mathews, Cornell 56
Keith Wenning, Ball State 56
Jordan Lynch, Northern Illinois 55
Tajh Boyd, Clemson 54
Bryn Renner, North Carolina 54
David Fales, San Jose State 53
AJ McCarron, Alabama 53
Dustin Vaughan, West Texas A&M 53
Connor Shaw, South Carolina 50
Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville – Did not throw
Derek Carr, Fresno State – Did not throw
Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M – Did not throw
Zach Mettenberger, LSU – Did not throw
Aaron Murray, Georgia – Did not throw

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2012/

Playoffs
03-25-2014, 01:03 PM
Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball
I do think Tom Savage is fool's gold for scouts. Discover him late, see the big arm, miss the inconsistency

aussie_texan
04-01-2014, 03:27 AM
count me as all in on savage and would even be happy taking him in the 3rd even though we might have a chance taking him in the 4th. doubt he lasts longer than this

IDEXAN
04-01-2014, 07:56 AM
In terms of physical talent, looks like an O'Brien kind of QB with that big gun 'cause he can make that ball
hum on a deep out like no other QB in this Draft except for Mettenberger.

Playoffs
04-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Hearing A LOT of buzz around #Pitt QB Tom Savage. People will be surprised how high he goes in #NFLDraft.
John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff
Hear the same.

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
How hot a prospect is Tom Savage? He has had workouts with 9 #NFL teams so far, has another 7 scheduled this month. #NFLDraft

So 16 teams will work out Savage??? Sumpins up...

:thinking:

beerlover
04-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt

don't have to tell me, caught all kinds of grief about selecting him in the 4th rd. for Texans, lol :rake:

Playoffs
04-05-2014, 10:44 AM
TS helmut cam video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGBExvpIHts

Kinda cool. :shades:

Savage led all FBS QBs in being sacked: 43 sacks in 389 attempts(11%)... Derek Carr: 11 sacks in 659 attempts(1.5%).

http://www.bigskyfans.com/wildcats/images/smilies/doh.gif

aussie_texan
04-06-2014, 01:15 AM
TS helmut cam video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGBExvpIHts

Kinda cool. :shades:

Savage led all FBS QBs in being sacked: 43 sacks in 389 attempts(11%)... Derek Carr: 11 sacks in 659 attempts(1.5%).

http://www.bigskyfans.com/wildcats/images/smilies/doh.gif

his line was dreadful. certainly makes it harder to evaluate him

The Pencil Neck
04-06-2014, 02:46 AM
his line was dreadful. certainly makes it harder to evaluate him

From what I've seen, he also had problems recognizing corner blitzes.

aussie_texan
04-06-2014, 03:23 AM
From what I've seen, he also had problems recognizing corner blitzes.

yeah he needs work recognising defences in general

Playoffs
04-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Film review: Is Pitt QB Tom Savage worthy of draft-sleeper buzz? (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339738/article/film-review-is-pitt-qb-tom-savage-worthy-of-draftsleeper-buzz?)

By Bucky Brooks
What's up with the buzz surrounding quarterback Tom Savage?

That's the question that I've been wrestling with since my colleague, NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt, began to rave about the potential of the Pittsburgh standout last fall. The wily evaluator likened Savage to a young Troy Aikman after watching him toss six touchdowns against Duke, and said he expected Savage to emerge as a top-50 prospect by the end of the draft process. Not to be outdone, NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock called Savage the "wild card" of the 2014 QB class, citing his prototypical size and superior arm talent as traits that could make him a steal in the draft.

With my colleagues and other several other analysts raving about Savage's talent and potential, I thought I would dig into the tape to see if his game matches the hype. Here's what I discovered:

Athleticism
Savage is a classic dropback quarterback with exceptional...

Here's a chart to put his measurements and drill results from the NFL Scouting Combine in perspective:

6-4"/228 lbs./9 5/8" hand...

Arm Talent
Savage has one of the strongest arms in the draft. He capably makes...

Pocket Poise
Savage's limited athleticism and movement skills make...

Football IQ
Savage enters the NFL with experience playing in multiple pro-style systems from his time...

Clutch Factor
Coaches are always looking for quarterbacks who possess the "it" factor...

Character
Normally, I don't include this category in my evaluation, but I must make mention of...

Conclusion
Savage is certainly an intriguing prospect based on his physical tools and arm talent. He looks like the traditional dropback passer that has long thrived in the NFL, and his experience working in a pro-style offense puts him ahead of the competition in several aspects. From a playing standpoint, Savage is nowhere near...

_King_
04-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Tom savage as a second round pick....

Hmmmm....

JB
04-07-2014, 01:45 PM
[URL="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339738/article/film-review-is-pitt-qb-tom-savage-worthy-of-draftsleeper-buzz?"]Film review: Is Pitt QB Tom Savage worthy of draft-sleeper buzz?

I wonder how his scouting report compares to Brady's coming out

:kitten:

Playoffs
04-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Guys who develop QBs will always believe they can take clay & mold it. Gary Kubiak did the same with David Carr his first year w/ #Texans

I'm not big on drafting QBs early that don''t show consistency in college but "look the part". But, my opinion is just that, an opinion.

I personally wouldn't take Tom Savage before the 7th rd. Teams are reportedly interested in Logan Thomas as a 2nd-4th round pick as well.

cont'd...now reports are that teams are interested in him as a top 40 pick. Gil Brandt has been on this kid since last year.

I was surprised when Bill O'Brien showed up to Tom Savage's pro day, surprised again when he mentioned him by name as a QB of interest...

_King_
04-07-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm going to spend some time watching some more Savage film today.

I have skimmed over some of his stuff previously and I liked what I saw. Going to give him a closer look.

I can get behind a QB with the last name Savage.

kiwitexansfan
04-07-2014, 02:37 PM
I can get behind a QB with the last name Savage.

I'd prefer my linebackers to be called Savage and my QB to be named Accurate.

_King_
04-07-2014, 02:54 PM

I'll take a savage on the football field anywhere I can get em...

The Pencil Neck
04-07-2014, 03:10 PM
I'll take a savage on the football field anywhere I can get em...

Actually.

The name is kind of a problem for me.

My old drummer and I used to call each other that word, with a lisp, as a kind of a "gay joke" sort of thing.

And.

Almost 40 years later, we still do.

If we get a QB with the last name of Savage, there will be an unending torrent of gay jokes.

:toropalm:

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

thunderkyss
04-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddockI'm not big on drafting QBs early that don''t show consistency in college but "look the part". But, my opinion is just that, an opinion.

Does anyone know what "consistency" Braddock is talking about here? There's not a lot of video out there on this guy, so I can't see what he looked like at Rutgers. But from what I understand, he played well at Rutgers then left because he lost the starting job (after an hand injury), he didn't play at Arizona (not eligible) transferred to Pittsburgh (wanted to go back to Rutgers), led them to a Pro Bowl victory after having to learn the offense on his own.

I'm cautious of only starting for two years & I'm sure you can spin the quitter thing, but I wouldn't say that he just "looks the part."

thunderkyss
04-07-2014, 03:40 PM

I felt good about a LB named Mercilus not too long ago.

Gots to look at that first name. :kitten:

The Pencil Neck
04-07-2014, 03:42 PM
I felt good about a LB named Mercilus not too long ago.

Gots to look at that first name. :kitten:

"Tom" has had some success as a QB name.

"Whitney"... well... there you go but it's not as bad as "Pat".

_King_
04-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Watched some more of Savage...

Not very mobile, extremely strong arm and quick release. Can't really comment much on his reading of defenses. I don't like his rhythm in the pocket. It's like he's always in a two minute drill. Like the college game was moving really fast for him. Didn't seem like he really was in control of the offense. Didn't control the flow of the game and have that pace to his play.

Besides his measurables/strong arm I didn't see a guy I'd take before the 4th or 5th round.

Looks like he's going to struggle adjusting to the NFL game and his head will be spinning. May be a guy that feels pressure early and pre-maturely gets rid of the ball or starts watching the rush too much.

But again...Very strong arm, but appears to struggle with accuracy. Probably has to do with his hurried nature/footwork in the pocket. Also, I don't know if he understands ball placement.

He's raw. I wouldn't take him expecting him to be my Franchise QB.

Really I wouldn't take him at all, because he doesn't show things I like in a QB.

If I was going to take a QB later in the draft or as an UDFA I'd rather target a guy like Brett Smith. I think cheaper with about as much upside just from watching film.

Not really sure about either guys' mentals.

Playoffs
04-14-2014, 10:18 AM
4. Speaking of surprise players … The stunner this draft season is a quarterback who threw 83 passes as a Rutgers sophomore in 2010, then didn’t play college football in 2011 or 2012 as he transferred from Rutgers to Arizona to Pitt. “The hottest guy in the draft,” Brandt of Tom Savage. How hot is he?

Late last week Savage’s agent, Neil Schwartz, had to tell two teams who wanted to set up a visit or meeting with the quarterback that he didn’t have any time left to do so. “There are literally no days left on his calendar for him to go see any other teams,” Schwartz said Saturday. The deadline for teams to host players or work them out is April 27, and by then Savage is scheduled to have either worked out for or had visits with 24 or 25 teams. That’s an amazing number of workouts and/or meetings … and when I say meetings with teams, I mean time with either the GM, coach, offensive coordinator or two or three of those.

Savage is popular because he’s got an above-average NFL arm right now—some are calling it the best in the draft—and showed well over the last half of last season with a bad offensive line at Pitt. He spent Friday with the Oakland staff, and that’s a place he’d fit in well. Amazing to think a player so itinerant and with so little college success could be leap-frogging A.J. McCarron, Aaron Murray and Zach Mettenberger. But there’s a good chance Savage will. Todd McShay had Houston taking Savage with the 33rd overall pick. Now there’d be a way to kick off the second day of the draft in style, with a stunner like that.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/14/nfl-draft-jadeveon-clowney-monday-morning-qb/

thunderkyss
04-14-2014, 12:36 PM
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/14/nfl-draft-jadeveon-clowney-monday-morning-qb/ Todd McShay had Houston taking Savage with the 33rd overall pick. Now there’d be a way to kick off the second day of the draft in style, with a stunner like that.

I guess McShay was ahead of the curve on that one. Not that I think we'll be drafting Tom Savage, but there appears to be real interest in the kid & he may be an option there at 32. I doubt it, but who knows?

This may have been exactly what OB wanted to happen when he first showed interest in Savage a month ago.

Playoffs
04-14-2014, 12:55 PM
I guess McShay was ahead of the curve on that one...

Gil Brandt was ahead of the curve on Savage. Rob Rang a little bit.

McShay started chirping after Bill O'Brien took particular interest in Savage at his pro day.

thunderkyss
04-15-2014, 09:21 AM
I brought this over from another thread, because I didn't want to bog that thread down with Tom Savage talk.

The Tom Savage stuff is just beyond me. Comes off as just going for broke on a guy and hoping you nail it so everyone will think you're a genius.

yep!

Then, I'm brining back comments from the first post in this thread.

Might be on OB's 3rd day radar... ?

http://i.imgur.com/VPVfAgR.gif
6'4 1/4", 228 lbs., big arm.

OB personally attended his pro day and had him throw specific passes.

Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN
@Gil_Brandt I applaud you. Tom Savage is for real.

And doing it all within the structure of an NFL-style passing game/offense that he played in/started in just 1 season.

No QB in this draft class making the 18-22yd opposite "college" hash corner and comeback throws like Savage can. Mad I am late watching him.

Considering circumstances - background, play history, character, scheme, talent played with....Savage should be getting much more attention.

Finally getting to watch QB Tom Savage closely, and as some have told me, he makes some serious big-time throws. This should be fun..

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt Mar 12
C'mon, Phil. I was touting Tom Savage 6 months ago. RT @seniorbowl: @SeniorBowlPhil Savage names his 'super sleepers' http://bit.ly/19hUGhn

Tom Savage 2nd best ball velocity behind LThomas

> Tom Savage was best QB in second group. better athlete than anticipated. Best velocity, accuracy in 2nd group of QBs.

Best QB in 2nd group was Tom Savage. Has a gun for arm.

Tom Savage: The best QB prospect you've never heard of (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000260414/article/tom-savage-the-best-qb-prospect-youve-never-heard-of)
By Gil Brandt | NFL Media senior analyst
Watching this game, the quarterback, Tom Savage, reminded me a lot of a player I had the privilege to scout and eventually draft back in the 1980s -- Troy Aikman...

So.... I think we should give Gil Brandt some credit. He's been pretty consistent with Tom Savage for a long time. All the other guys jumping on the wagon, then I can see where WolverineFan & mussop are coming from.

I honestly thought the O'Brien interest was a smoke screen until recently. I read another article somewhere & they pretty much said what was said in this post..

2014 Pitt Pro Day (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24466052/pro-days-penn-state-dt-donald-continues-climb)"I've been in three different systems, probably four or five different offensive coordinators. I don't even know anymore I've been to so many schools," Savage said. "You kind of have to pick it up on the run. You have to learn on your own. At Pittsburgh, I had to walk on and earn my spot. I had to pick up the offense and learn it by myself. Being ineligible you can't offer to much to the team. You really have to grind in the film room and pick it up on your own, kind of like the NFL will be. There will be veterans that know the playbook. They're not going to slow down for some rookie."

What did Fitzpatrick say was his strength? What is it that "everyone" says is key to every member of the New England Patriots?

Versatility.... right?

Playoffs
04-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Josina Anderson@JosinaAnderson
Confirming that QB Tom Savage has declined an invitation to attend the NFL Draft in NY.

Playoffs
04-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
Interesting one here -- Pitt QB Tom Savage visited the Bengals in Cincinnati about a week ago. He's the one QB they've brought to town.

thunderkyss
04-21-2014, 03:05 PM
2. Pittsburgh does not appear to have a great OL. But after watching Savage, I'm forced to conclude that he has no idea when or where pressure is coming. He takes more bad sacks than any QB in this class not named Logan Thomas. That is just my opinion of course. Someone else may watch Pittsburgh and think Savage does just fine picking up pressure. But I would disagree.

I think it's a good point, but just like everything about all of these prospects, must be looked at in context. He was a walk on as a senior. How many times does that happen where the guy ends up starting from day one & takes them to a bowl game? He said (so take it with a grain of salt) that he had to teach himself the offense.

I think he's clearly out of the day 1 starter list... or maybe at the very bottom of the list, but I wouldn't completely write him off (not saying that you are). I give him some leeway & I'll accept some imperfections from him where I wouldn't from others.

He's either at the bottom of my Day 1 starter list, or the top of my projects list.

bah007
04-21-2014, 03:32 PM
I think it's a good point, but just like everything about all of these prospects, must be looked at in context. He was a walk on as a senior. How many times does that happen where the guy ends up starting from day one & takes them to a bowl game? He said (so take it with a grain of salt) that he had to teach himself the offense.

I think he's clearly out of the day 1 starter list... or maybe at the very bottom of the list, but I wouldn't completely write him off (not saying that you are). I give him some leeway & I'll accept some imperfections from him where I wouldn't from others.

He's either at the bottom of my Day 1 starter list, or the top of my projects list.

He's at the top of my projects list. 3rd round grade.

The guy has physical tools. And they are very much worthy of the effort it will take to hone them. But I cannot see any circumstance where he would be on the field next season.

Playoffs
04-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Is the Pittsburgh QB Tom Savage worth a chance in the draft? (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Prospect-Focus-Tom-Savage.html)
During the season, I watched about three games on Savage and felt he was an average prospect. He had size and a strong arm, but I didn’t see much else to say that he wasn’t more than a late round pick or priority free agent. In recent weeks, Savage has made some visits and the draft analyst community has him going as high as the second round. Seeing that, I felt I'd better watch some more tape to see if I was missing something...

steelbtexan
04-23-2014, 12:26 PM

If Savage has the ability to be a productive starting QB for the Pats then why would the Texans not pick him?

Not taking the best players leads to 2-14 and the reason the Pats are where they are and the Texans are where they are. If Savage is good enough for the Pats he's good enough for the Texans. Let Savage spend a yr learning BOB's system and start him in 2015. After all the Texans wont be in the SB next yr so I've got no problem with the Texans going BPA this yr and filling in the rest of the holes in the draft/FA in the 2015 offseason. This is a long term fix rather than the short term thinking used by the previous regime. (Minus Smith)

The Pencil Neck
04-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Is the Pittsburgh QB Tom Savage worth a chance in the draft? (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Prospect-Focus-Tom-Savage.html)

One of the things I almost like about this kid is that he's gone through so much adversity, bounced around, worked hard, tried to find the right spot. Instead of just sitting back and taking what was given to him, he showed a lot of fight and a lot of want-to by following the bizarre path he's followed.

Granted, he probably won't be anything other than a 3rd string QB that never does anything. But because of that desire and drive, he could be an over-achiever who has a long and stellar NFL career. This is a guy who could succeed because he just refuses to fail.

Playoffs
04-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Prospect Profile: Tom Savage (http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/73004576/pitt-qb-tom-savage-has-a-strong-arm-but-inconsistent-accuracy-could-hurt-him-in-draft)
Russ Lande
This time of year, the phrase "rising up draft boards" is mentioned nearly every day in various draft rumors. This year's No. 1 riser, according to media reports, is Pittsburgh quarterback Tom Savage. While I have no doubt that Savage is going to be selected much higher than many scouts expected when the regular season ended, that doesn't mean there's a consensus among NFL personnel regarding how good he is and can become. Taking this into account, I felt it wise to chart out every pass in order to project the likelihood of Savage becoming a quality starter in the NFL...

infantrycak
04-23-2014, 01:19 PM
If Savage has the ability to be a productive starting QB for the Pats then why would the Texans not pick him?

Not taking the best players leads to 2-14 and the reason the Pats are where they are and the Texans are where they are. If Savage is good enough for the Pats he's good enough for the Texans. Let Savage spend a yr learning BOB's system and start him in 2015. After all the Texans wont be in the SB next yr so I've got no problem with the Texans going BPA this yr and filling in the rest of the holes in the draft/FA in the 2015 offseason. This is a long term fix rather than the short term thinking used by the previous regime. (Minus Smith)

What is it in what you quoted did you think you were disagreeing with?

steelbtexan
04-23-2014, 01:25 PM
What is it in what you quoted did you think you were disagreeing with?

Not disagreeing,

Just wondering why Savage would be a good pick for the Pats but not the Texans? IYO

Either he's got the talent to be a productive QB or he doesn't.

Playoffs
04-23-2014, 03:29 PM
One of the things I almost like about this kid is that he's gone through so much adversity, bounced around, worked hard, tried to find the right spot. Instead of just sitting back and taking what was given to him, he showed a lot of fight and a lot of want-to by following the bizarre path he's followed...

Pretty sure I read somewhere he owned his part in leaving Rutgers to Schiano/Belichick... said he was wrong. That impressed.

badboy
04-23-2014, 05:52 PM
I cannot figure out where the air is coming from to fill his balloon to the height he is now at.

revan
04-23-2014, 06:01 PM
I cannot figure out where the air is coming from to fill his balloon to the height he is now at.

I completely agree, I mean I would at least give credit if it was Fales maybe even Boyd but Savage?! Common now, these people are really bored. What sucks is that after the draft, we still have to wait four months to see those players in action, FOUR MONTHS aahhhh.

badboy
04-23-2014, 06:11 PM
I completely agree, I mean I would at least give credit if it was Fales maybe even Boyd but Savage?! Common now, these people are really bored. What sucks is that after the draft, we still have to wait four months to see those players in action, FOUR MONTHS aahhhh.
I researched him months ago and was intrigued by his history which I posted elsewhere, when he played he was pretty good stat wise and did suffer from Oline and too many coaches. He was a 7-UDFA all year and without any evidence to support he started the elevator ride. This is what bothers me about dome sites.

thunderkyss
04-23-2014, 07:30 PM

There isn't a franchise guy in this draft, everybody is looking at the next best thing. Bridgewater is missing the size & the arm. Manziel is missing the size & experience in a pro offense. Bortles is missing the elite arm, experience against elite competition, & another year of data would have been really nice.

Savage... what's he missing?
The most glaring thing I believe he's missing, is tape. He hasn't played the two years prior, so we don't know where his consistency is, or how he's progressed.

But he's a walk-on, started every game as a senior, after basically teaching himself the offense. So If your primary concerns are:

Able to throw with accuracy
Must make good decisions
Must have a high football IQ

wouldn't you at least consider Tom Savage? I think the media are looking at the activity around him & they're interpreting that to mean "2nd round pick" but that attention might not mean that at all.

Playoffs
05-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Futures: Tom Savage (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2014/futures-tom-savage)
by Matt Waldman
Beware of the fast rising quarterback. This is what The Big Lead's Jason Lisk wrote in 2012 after he did a search on quarterbacks whose stock rose in the month prior to the draft since 1990. His article led with Ryan Tannehill as the "buzz creator" approaching the 2012 NFL Draft that motivated his search for the history of players with dubious, late charges up draft boards and into the first round.

While I liked Tannehill and still believe he is on his way to becoming a decent NFL starter, I think Lisk offered compelling examples why he could write an article about this subject. He mentions several players who reportedly had draft grades lower than the first round before the collective buzz from the postseason all-star games, combine, and workouts upped their draft stock in the final weeks.

I want to dig deeper than draft stock, which is shorthand for "ability and talent" for some, but as Lisk points out with some hindsight on his side, draft stock contains a healthy dose of other factors that influenced errors of judgment. One of these factors is what we might as well call "the eyeball test" -- does he look like a franchise quarterback?

Does he have the requisite height?
Does he have the requisite weight?
Does he have a big arm?
Does he demonstrate the pro style throws that project well to the NFL?

If he has at least three of these four things, it appears that there will be enough teams that believe that they can mold this player into a good quarterback. They will often bet on these players at the expense of a more polished passer who lacks the same qualities in abundance, but has enough to get the job done.

Jim Druckenmiller is a great example. Tall, strong, and capable of throws that make people gush at workouts, Druckenmiller had trouble reading defenses and maneuvering the pocket.

Bill Walsh saw this was the case and told the 49ers to draft Jake Plummer. While Plummer never full lived up to his potential, he had enough moments to illustrate why Walsh liked the Arizona State Sun Devil the most from this quarterback class. Druckenmiller continued to have trouble with the same things he had in college and never left the San Francisco bench.

Patrick Ramsey was another late riser. ESPN’s Chris Mortensen relayed a lot of positive sentiment in the final month prior to the draft for this strong-armed quarterback from Tulane with consistency issues. According to a Chicago Bears’ fans scouting site, Ramsey "looks like an All-American quarterback one play and totally different the next."

Ramsey had difficulty reading defenses and maneuvering the pocket. Neither skill progressed enough for the former first-round pick to become a consistent NFL starter.

J.P. Losman was another Tulane product with a big arm and athleticism. He thought he could throw holes through defenders to get the ball to his wide receivers. He found out his ball didn’t burn through an opposing defender’s flesh.

I’ll add Brandon Weeden to this list. A big guy with a big arm who had big production at a big-time school. Add it all up and it still didn’t compensate for his big problem with rushing his reads under pressure because he didn’t maneuver the pocket with a comfort level desirable for an NFL quarterback. Weeden is now considered another one of Cleveland’s big mistakes on draft day.

I’m beginning to think there’s a pattern of mistakes that certain NFL teams make when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks. I don’t know if this is true, but after 10 years of studying players -- nine of those where I published the RSP -- it appears that some teams have too many magnifying factors and not enough knockout factors.

As I mentioned in my piece on Jimmy Garoppolo, I’m getting closer to the point of instituting knockout factors in evaluations. Certain mistakes in quarterbacking are fatal errors and might be too difficult to fix. How a passer reacts to pressure is one of them.

Magnifying factors is a term I thought of while writing this column. It’s a set of qualities that prospects display that get NFL decision makers excited -- too excited. Scouts, general managers, coaches, or owners see some of these qualities and let them overshadow flaws.

Based on the strengths and weaknesses of these five players above, it appears some teams will rationalize that they can coach these flaws away where they might not feel the same if the prospect lacked these magnifying factors. A simple way of putting it is crass, but I believe it illustrates the point:

Some NFL analysts and decision-makers look at a quarterback's arm strength the way some men look at the quality of a woman’s chest when they decide whom to date. Later, they have the nerve to complain about all the person’s other flaws.

I believe there is a lot of magnification happening with quarterback evaluation, none more apparent this year than with Pittsburgh quarterback Tom Savage...

Texian
05-01-2014, 11:48 AM
When a QB transfers school it's usually not a good thing. When he does it twice you can almost be assured that something negative is the reason why. BUYER BEWARE! Be very leery of a QB who couldn't cut it at one school, much less two.

steelbtexan
05-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Futures: Tom Savage (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2014/futures-tom-savage)
by Matt Waldman

Add Brett Favre/Montana/Flacco/Kaepernick/Brees etc.... to the list of late risers. Fact is that drafting a QB is a crapshoot.

Even though Savage went to 3 different schools (Rutgers he got beat out for the starting job then transferred to Arizona and transferred after Rodriguez became the new HC and installed the spread offense that didn't fit his skillset.) At Pittsburgh I thought Savage played very well on a bad team and lead that team to a bowl game.

He already has experience in a pro system and definitely has talent to be a way above avg NFL starter.

With that said I wouldn't touch him before 3-1 or trade back into the late 2nd to pick Savage. Savage has as much or more talent as the big 3 QB's do. But there is risk involved.

leebigeztx
05-02-2014, 01:11 AM
Add Brett Favre/Montana/Flacco/Kaepernick/Brees etc.... to the list of late risers. Fact is that drafting a QB is a crapshoot.

Even though Savage went to 3 different schools (Rutgers he got beat out for the starting job then transferred to Arizona and transferred after Rodriguez became the new HC and installed the spread offense that didn't fit his skillset.) At Pittsburgh I thought Savage played very well on a bad team and lead that team to a bowl game.

He already has experience in a pro system and definitely has talent to be a way above avg NFL starter.

With that said I wouldn't touch him before 3-1 or trade back into the late 2nd to pick Savage. Savage has as much or more talent as the big 3 QB's do. But there is risk involved.

Flacco was on everyones radar. Big strong kid who was a good foot athlete. Flacco dominated the small division he was in. Favre had the same traits as any other potential great qb. He played in a run based offense,but he beat a then vaunted fla st team stock full of nfl talent. Brees set all kinds of passing records at purdue. The only concerns had were his size. Brees was also a tremendous athlete and even in college had the fastest pull back from center. Montana,well we know the story on him.

Savage is garbage. Watch the tape. Dude is a sack waiting to happen. His poise in the pocket is terrible. Top it off,he didn't even play well in in college.