PDA

View Full Version : Random thought: Do you think Hopkins could net us a 1 in trade?

Hervoyel
03-18-2014, 02:22 PM
I'm just curious. Just asking what you think but Carolina needs a WR now that Smith is gone. Hopkins showed us something this year but didn't blow any of us away I don't believe. Could he fetch a 1 from Carolina or really anyone?

If he did and we had a pair of 1's would you consider taking Sammy Watkins first overall and coming back later in the round to get a LB or your QB before grabbing a defender at the top of the second?

Could be the wrong forum for this. Move as needed mods. Just the thought occurred to me and wondered if anyone was enamored with Hopkins enough to not be interested in trading him in that scenario.

ArlingtonTexan
03-18-2014, 02:28 PM
This is considered a deep draft @ WR where team may be able to get a Hopkins level talent into the 2nd round.

amazing80
03-18-2014, 02:32 PM
This is considered a deep draft @ WR where team may be able to get a Hopkins level talent into the 2nd round.

Agreed, only way something like trading him works is in a wr STARVED class, this is the deepest in a long time.

bah007
I could see Carolina giving up their 2nd (#60). I don't think they would give up their first though. I don't think any team would.

WolverineFan
Doubtful. This is a really deep draft at WR.

TexansSeminole
I like him enough to keep him and not trade him for a first. At the same time, I think there is enough potential with the WRs in this draft, as ArlingtonTexan said, that we may not even be able to net that.

People always talk about WRs having a difficult job acclimating to the NFL, so Hopkins actually had a pretty damn good year last year with poor QB play.

ChampionTexan
03-18-2014, 02:39 PM
He was a late first round pick a year ago, and barring some compelling reason to the contrary, draft picks are like cars - as soon as you drive them home from the dealership, they lose value.

Hopkins had a reasonably promising first year, but not enough to overcome being driven home from the dealership. At least not yet.

kingtexan
03-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Sure, lets trade away our future #1 WR ... that would be smart.

deucetx
03-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Eh, I doubt it but you never know. I could see why Carolina would. Yes, the draft is deep at receiver but look what they have. They aren't just lacking Smith. They lost LaFell too. So they have no #1 or #2 receiver. On top of this they lost their left tackle to retirement as well. To say they are in need is an understatement. Granted doesn't help that Newton is now shelved for four months.

_King_
03-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Deep draft at WR...But they have very, very little at WR...And then you are still talking about rookike WR's coming in to be targets for a team that wants to contend.

Probably couldn't get a 1st for Hopkins straight up, but maybe package him with something.

IDEXAN
03-18-2014, 04:49 PM
And consequently an instrcutive lesson in why teams should draft on the basis of talent available rather than need.

Porky
03-18-2014, 05:32 PM
I doubt he would fetch more than a #3 if anything at all.

steelbtexan
03-18-2014, 05:37 PM

True

This makes me sad.

Another example of reaching for need.

When will the Texans org ever learn?

Ryan
03-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Sure, lets trade away our future #1 WR ... that would be smart.

I had considered this trading Hopkins thing just a few days ago. If we could somehow net a 1st which seems unlikely, but if we could, we'd be free to use our #1 pick on perhaps the best player on the board in Sammy Watkins and have the same result.

But i like Nuk too much to part with him for anything less than a 1st.

thunderkyss
03-18-2014, 06:34 PM
I bet we could get a 1 if we give them Hopkins & Foster.

Playoffs
03-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Keep yer hands offa my NUK...

http://images.buzzillions.com/images_customers/00/54/35397673_271942_full.jpg

Hervoyel
03-18-2014, 08:20 PM
It was just a thought that briefly skipped across my mind. Having that second 1 would be what made it work. I regard Watkins as much better than Hopkins and so I'd let Hopkins go, possibly even Hopkins and Foster as thunderkyss mentioned. We're drawing to the close of Foster's prime anyway and it's not like RB's are all that hard to find anyway.

I guess the same thing that makes many of us not all that worried about letting go of Hopkins for a deal like this keeps him from being worth what we'd need to get out of him to do a deal like this. He wasn't bad at all but he didn't really knock anyone out with his 2013 performance. The way the season went I have trouble holding that against him but I guess if I was planning on parting with a 1 to get him then I'd want to see better than what he's shown so far.

Still Porky that's just ridiculous. a 3rd if anything? Come on!

AngryNateFTW
03-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Hopkins had over 800 yards receiving during a pretty inconsistent year. He works on his consistency and he's a 1200+ WR for a long time.

ArlingtonTexan
03-18-2014, 09:39 PM
And consequently an instrcutive lesson in why teams should draft on the basis of talent available rather than need.

True

This makes me sad.

Another example of reaching for need.

When will the Texans org ever learn?

I think the idea of need vs BPA is really not really the case. It is normally a combination and teams lean one direction versus the other, but in the perfect these meet up. Well, the Texans don't draft in a perfect world like we don't live in one.

I agree that more mistakes are made overdrafting for need than best player , but based on the draft board of 2013 Hopkins was not over drafted in any way. He played okay enough overall and was better than the other number 2 WR the Texans ran out in previous years. Just because this years draft has more similar level players does not mean that the 2013 pick was wrong. Teams have enough trouble getting the current year's board right, if you think some team has a true feel for the 2015 draft enough not to take ------ player or ---- position in 2014, I had those lottery numbers for tonight also.

There are other examples of need drafting from last year (see both 3rd round picks) way worth more criticism than Hopkins.

thunderkyss
03-19-2014, 07:05 AM
Hopkins had over 800 yards receiving during a pretty inconsistent year. He works on his consistency and he's a 1200+ WR for a long time.

A little "consistency" from the QB position wouldn't hurt either.

LikeMike
03-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I don`t know why we should let Hopkins go already. He showed plenty potential and with better QB and O-Line play should turn into a pretty good WR. If we could get a first rounder it would be a low first rounder, and those guys have potential, but they haven`t proven anything yet.

I love Watkins - but I consider him a luxury pick. WR might be one of the the least important position to have an elite prospect. In the last 10 years which super bowl winner had a top 5 WR?

So, let`s keep Hopkins and maybe try to trade out of the #1 spot to grab another first rounder...

AngryNateFTW
03-19-2014, 07:55 AM
A little "consistency" from the QB position wouldn't hurt either.

That too. :D

badboy
03-19-2014, 12:23 PM
In my plans as GM for Texans (cough) AJ, Hopkins and Sammy Watkins gives our new QB Garoppolo great weapons. Now if I can just find way to draft Carlos Hyde to back Foster. May have to go with Terrance West in 4th.

ObsiWan
03-19-2014, 12:48 PM
In my plans as GM for Texans (cough) AJ, Hopkins and Sammy Watkins gives our new QB Garoppolo great weapons. Now if I can just find way to draft Carlos Hyde to back Foster. May have to go with Terrance West in 4th.
Ozzie Newsome...? is that you?

The Pencil Neck
03-19-2014, 01:20 PM

Uh oh... we are moving in very similar directions...

:slapfight:

Blake
03-19-2014, 02:31 PM
At least half of first round picks dont work out.

We have a good player and a good professional type guy in Hopkins. I think he has a bright future. He is a known commodity. Why trade that away for another gamble?

revan
03-19-2014, 02:58 PM
I had considered this trading Hopkins thing just a few days ago. If we could somehow net a 1st which seems unlikely, but if we could, we'd be free to use our #1 pick on perhaps the best player on the board in Sammy Watkins and have the same result.

But i like Nuk too much to part with him for anything less than a 1st.

It was just a thought that briefly skipped across my mind. Having that second 1 would be what made it work. I regard Watkins as much better than Hopkins and so I'd let Hopkins go, possibly even Hopkins and Foster as thunderkyss mentioned. We're drawing to the close of Foster's prime anyway and it's not like RB's are all that hard to find anyway.

I guess the same thing that makes many of us not all that worried about letting go of Hopkins for a deal like this keeps him from being worth what we'd need to get out of him to do a deal like this. He wasn't bad at all but he didn't really knock anyone out with his 2013 performance. The way the season went I have trouble holding that against him but I guess if I was planning on parting with a 1 to get him then I'd want to see better than what he's shown so far.

Still Porky that's just ridiculous. a 3rd if anything? Come on!

Hopkins has shown to step up in big situations and win games. In college he would single handedly beat teams, LSU game is a great example. He showed that same instinct when we played Tennessee to give us one our two wins. No we are fine with him here, lets move on to the next subject.

DocBar
03-19-2014, 03:17 PM
In my plans as GM for Texans (cough) AJ, Hopkins and Sammy Watkins gives our new QB Garoppolo great weapons. Now if I can just find way to draft Carlos Hyde to back Foster. May have to go with Terrance West in 4th.It would be great if we got Watkins. We would be set at WR for another 12+ years

IlliniJen
03-19-2014, 03:49 PM

Were you touching yourself inappropriately as you wrote this? Because you should have been.

Troy Chapman
03-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Last I checked, Hopkins' 3 of 4 year contract is guaranteed. Trading him away would net a $3 million loss towards the cap. 2016 would the earliest you could do anything with him.

Norg
03-19-2014, 04:31 PM
I like that car way of thinking

Hop already gots a year under his belt teams will what him at a used price so best u could get is a 2nd I would bet

I think it could be done getting a #1 but the team would have to realllyyyyyy like him

I was also thinkin if we got Watkins we would def have the best WR CORE in the NFL .... then we might has well grab Boyd in the 3rd and be the Clemson of Houston LOL

drs23
03-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Were you touching yourself inappropriately as you wrote this? Because you should have been.

:kitten:What is this "inappropriately" you speak of? :kitten:

steelbtexan
03-19-2014, 04:36 PM
I think the idea of need vs BPA is really not really the case. It is normally a combination and teams lean one direction versus the other, but in the perfect these meet up. Well, the Texans don't draft in a perfect world like we don't live in one.

I agree that more mistakes are made overdrafting for need than best player , but based on the draft board of 2013 Hopkins was not over drafted in any way. He played okay enough overall and was better than the other number 2 WR the Texans ran out in previous years. Just because this years draft has more similar level players does not mean that the 2013 pick was wrong. Teams have enough trouble getting the current year's board right, if you think some team has a true feel for the 2015 draft enough not to take ------ player or ---- position in 2014, I had those lottery numbers for tonight also.

There are other examples of need drafting from last year (see both 3rd round picks) way worth more criticism than Hopkins.

Stills/Rodgers who I mocked to the Texans represented much greater value in the 5th/UDFA vs Hopkins in the 1st. You think that Kiko Alonso might look pretty good in the Texans LB corps about now?

Vinny
03-20-2014, 12:55 AM
I'd love to see AJ mentor a future tandem of Watkins and Hopkins. Re-sign Watkins when his contract expires and let the overrated Hopkins go fetch his 'big' contract with somebody else. AJ can play a mean situational possession wr at the end of his career ala Boldin....and then all we have to do is kick back and watch this trio light up the NFL for the next 3-4 seasons.

ArlingtonTexan
03-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Stills/Rodgers who I mocked to the Texans represented much greater value in the 5th/UDFA vs Hopkins in the 1st. You think that Kiko Alonso might look pretty good in the Texans LB corps about now?

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99830&highlight=kffl

I can the mock game too, but I am not sure that it helps with the analysis of what the Texans did

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99830&highlight=kffl