PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Texans have waived/released...

Pages : [1] 2

_King_
03-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Heard it on the radio.

No link yet

Maybe this thread should be an all encompassing Texans players released/not retained thread?

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 7m
Texans released CB Brice McCain.
Expand
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 7m
Brice McCain, a 6th round pick in 2009, has been the nickel CB for years.

Simply a bad re-signing by the Texans. McCain should have been allowed to walk in FA.

BigBull
03-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Yah

Sent from the future...

BullNation4Life
03-11-2014, 10:46 AM
can't....control....my....happy...dance.....

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/dance-party/swanson-dance.gif

now for #8....

DBCooper
03-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Thank god.

I couldn't take another season of watching him chase down big plays from behind.

TheIronDuke
03-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Glad he's gone but I hope we're not relying on crappy Brandon Harris as his replacement. I also really hope we're not relying on pathetic defensive back talent evaluator Rick Smith to pick a corner in the draft because he's proven to be completely awful at it.

HOU-TEX
03-11-2014, 11:06 AM
His release supposedly saves us 900k on the cap

_King_
03-11-2014, 11:08 AM

I think I heard it wrong...

On the radio I think they said it was 900k dead money...But I know very little about the cap and contracts so. And I don't even know if I heard that right...

Playoffs
03-11-2014, 11:08 AM
McCain was rated 110th out of 110 CBs overall in 2013 and 110th/110 in pass coverage by ProFootballFocus (http://www.profootballfocus.com/) (>25% team snaps).

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Brice McCain was drafted by #Texans in 6th RD in 2009. played 72 games, 5 picks, 1 TD, 111 career tackles. played in all 16 games in 2013

Nitrofish
03-11-2014, 11:09 AM
While I am pleased to see him go, I will never get back the ten years that was taken off my life from watching him play. Best of luck in the future Brice.

infantrycak
03-11-2014, 11:16 AM
I think I heard it wrong...

On the radio I think they said it was 900k dead money...But I know very little about the cap and contracts so. And I don't even know if I heard that right...

It is $900k in dead money off a 2014 cap hit of $1.75 mil so a net cap savings of $850k.

ArlingtonTexan
03-11-2014, 11:17 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/11/texans-part-ways-with-brice-mccain/

For those who like linage

_King_
03-11-2014, 11:21 AM
It is $900k in dead money off a 2014 cap hit of $1.75 mil so a net cap savings of $850k.

Ahhhh....Ok...

Playoffs
03-11-2014, 11:48 AM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Texans released TE Owen Daniels.

The Texans saved $4.5 million on the cap by releasing Daniels.

Owen Daniels counted $6.25 million on the cap. He was scheduled to make $4.5 million. He's recovered from a fractured fibula.

Owen Daniels had been with the team since 2006 when he was a fourth-round pick. This means they must be re-signing TE Garrett Graham.
John Harris ‏@jharrisfootball
NFL's current CBA seems to have an indirect impact on player safety going forward..."older" players are getting snipped at much earlier age

NFL dynamics for cap-strapped team RT @taniaganguli Have confirmed HT released Owen Daniels. Saves them $4.5 million in cap space.

Hate to say it, OD but "I earned it" or "I deserve to be here" is NOT what the world is anymore, in any walk of life. #livingproof

DX-TEX
03-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock 59s
Texans save $4.5 mil and take on $1.75 mil in dead money RT @McClain_on_NFL: Texans released TE Owen Daniels.

:swatter:

htowntexans1985
03-11-2014, 11:50 AM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

Garrett Graham, you're time to shine.

DX-TEX
03-11-2014, 11:52 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdt9u2Bsrk1r270ozo3_250.gif

BOB's back doing his thing!

TexansFight
03-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Owen Daniels has just been released. Got a text from 610.

_King_
03-11-2014, 11:53 AM
So far...

Released

OD
McCain

03-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Damn, I'm gonna miss OD. Great guy and great player for us. I totally understand the business side of it, though.

Vinny
03-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Damn, I'm gonna miss OD. Great guy and great player for us. I totally understand the business side of it, though.

Me too...Good guy and overachiever. I wish him good luck as well.

Playoffs
03-11-2014, 12:02 PM

Yep, great guy and put a lot of good play in for us. Watch to see if Kubiak taps him for Ravens.

Two-time Pro Bowler...

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/10/files/2010/07/Owen-Daniels-Raiders.jpg

HOU-TEX
03-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Yep, great guy and put a lot of good play in for us. Watch to see if Kubiak taps him for Ravens.

Possibly. They just gave Pitta a good deal though. Maybe that affects their decision on OD.

I too, enjoyed watching OD play.

TexansFight
03-11-2014, 12:06 PM

Same here. I had been to his charity waiter steak dinner with the players serving as waiters the past few years. Great guy, good player and I will miss him. Where are we going to get his production from? He was Schaub's security blanket.

Jackie Chiles
03-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Tough to see OD go, best TE we have ever had, obviously. The way he was playing before he injured his leg at Buffalo in 2009 I thought he could have had 1000 yards and 10 TDs by the end of the season. Never quite got back to that level but he was still rock solid. What a fantastic 4th round pick he turned out to be.

Vinny
03-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Tough to see OD go, best TE we have ever had, obviously. The way he was playing before he injured his leg at Buffalo in 2009 I thought he could have had 1000 yards and 10 TDs by the end of the season. Never quite got back to that level but he was still rock solid. What a fantastic 4th round pick he turned out to be.

Casserly's last call was to talk the team into Daniels with that pick.

Texn4life
03-11-2014, 12:10 PM
I can tell this is going to be a pretty bittersweet day.

Jackie Chiles
03-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Casserly's last call was to talk the team into Daniels with that pick.

I do recall hearing about how hard he lobbied for that pick. I also remember that I had absolutely no idea who he was when we drafted him.

2012Champs
03-11-2014, 12:19 PM
can't....control....my....happy...dance.....

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/dance-party/swanson-dance.gif

now for #8....

I really hope that they keep #8 and name him starter for the season. Not because I think he can recover from last season/end of the season before that to playing really well but simply for the meltdown it would cause among many people such as youself :hairpull:

SCOTTexans
I can tell this is going to be a pretty bittersweet day.

Yes it is, sad release but I'm looking forward to the changes to come

steelbtexan
With the McCain/OD/Schaub cuts cuts BOB should be able to find a NT/CB/LB /WR-Kr in FA.

Hate to see OD go but this was necessary.

_King_
03-11-2014, 12:20 PM
There are some good TE's in this draft.

I think OD may be best served going to a team with a big need at the position because if he goes somewhere as a second TE he could end up battling for PT if the team is sitting there on draft day with a young TE on the board they don't want to pass up.

Good luck to OD. He was one of my favorite players and provided a lot of good memories and spectacular catches. Played hard all the time.

DX-TEX
03-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Call me an ass or whatever but this team went 2-14 after being predicted to make a deep run. There sure as hell better be blood.

#NOMERCY

_King_
03-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Waiting for the Schaub cut/no cut will be interesting...

Tick, Tock...

SAMURAITEXAN
03-11-2014, 12:25 PM
I will miss OD. Best of luck to you OD and thanks.

steelbtexan
03-11-2014, 12:36 PM
I really hope that they keep #8 and name him starter for the season. Not because I think he can recover from last season/end of the season before that to playing really well but simply for the meltdown it would cause among many people such as youself :hairpull:

I'm kind of hoping for the same thing because if Schaub if he remains the QB the Texans are going to be a 4-12, 6-10 team and should be able to get one of the top QB's in the 2015 draft.

It amazes me how fans just love holding onto the past. Even if the past = 2-14.

TexansSeminole
03-11-2014, 12:38 PM
I hope we don't cut Manning, unless we plan to sign a higher profile guy or draft one high. We have no depth a safety and I'm not sold on Swearinger, even though he's likely the other starter.bad safety play is so difficult to watch.

HOU-TEX
03-11-2014, 12:42 PM
I hope we don't cut Manning, unless we plan to sign a higher profile guy or draft one high. We have no depth a safety and I'm not sold on Swearinger, even though he's likely the other starter.bad safety play is so difficult to watch.

Me neither. Unless he improves his pass coverage a LOT, he's nothing more than a box safety. I think he'll be better, but how much?

TheIronDuke
03-11-2014, 12:43 PM

I'd definitely hate to see Keo and Pleasant back at FS while that swag idiot is at SS. We have to shore up the safety position in the worst way.

Texn4life
03-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Me neither. Unless he improves his pass coverage a LOT, he's nothing more than a box safety. I think he'll be better, but how much?

Safeties typically improve a lot from year 1 to 2. The game slows down a lot and route recognition tends to get a lot better too. I'm hoping this will be the case for him.

Texn4life
03-11-2014, 12:50 PM
I'm kind of hoping for the same thing because if Schaub if he remains the QB the Texans are going to be a 4-12, 6-10 team and should be able to get one of the top QB's in the 2015 draft.

Maybe I've been in the draft section for too long, but I haven't really seen many advocating for holding onto the past. Of course you're going to see people have mixed feelings about OD leaving, but that's just because he's battled hard for the franchise and helped the team get to its first 2 postseasons. It's time to move on though and I think most people understand that. I can love my wife and realize that divorce is the best thing for us at the same time.

Nitrofish
03-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all the memories OD, and best of luck wherever you land. I will continue to following your career.

gwallaia
03-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Joel Dreesen, James Casey, Owen Daniels, .............

Troy Chapman
03-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Joel Dreesen, James Casey, Owen Daniels, .............

Well the first two went on to do nothing for their next team....does that make the Texans look smart?

Ben Frank
03-11-2014, 01:00 PM
I love OD as much as the next guy and I wish him the best of luck, but maybe we should give him his own appreciation thread, I would really like to view this thread with updates without having to stroll pages and pages to see if anything new has happened... Not trying to be a ass.. js

mussop
03-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Simply a bad re-signing by the Texans. McCain should have been allowed to walk in FA.

Maybe in hindsight. How was smith supposed to know his play would go from promising to trash?

infantrycak
03-11-2014, 01:16 PM
I love OD as much as the next guy and I wish him the best of luck, but maybe we should give him his own appreciation thread, I would really like to view this thread with updates without having to stroll pages and pages to see if anything new has happened... Not trying to be a ass.. js

No, avoiding that was the purpose here.

El Tejano
03-11-2014, 01:19 PM
I'll never forget that one handed grab in Cincy to keep our drive to the playoffs alive. Gonna miss "Open" Daniels.

_King_
03-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Maybe in hindsight. How was smith supposed to know his play would go from promising to trash?

I didn't want McCain re-signed and McCain had one good year. He was sub par or poor every other year. And I know I wasn't the only one that was saying we should just let McCain walk.

But whatever...Not really a big debating point...he's gone now...

Que sara sara

_King_
03-11-2014, 01:20 PM

You haven't missed anything really...

Just OD and MCCain as far as I know.

Porky
03-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Question - If Schaub isn't released today, he could still be let go at any time, or do they have to wait for the June 1 cuts? I assume there are various cap implications on timing?

The whole FA/Cap thing is not my cup of tea. I do keep up with the draft and what not, but the rules associated with the cap and FA is vague to me.

Sorry to see OD go. The cap sucks but it had to be done.

thunderkyss
03-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Question - If Schaub isn't released today, he could still be let go at any time, or do they have to wait for the June 1 cuts? I assume there are various cap implications on timing?

IMO, if they don't cut him today, it means they haven't made up their mind to do it.

There's no benefit for us to keep him until June 1st. No benefit not to either.

Releasing him now would just get him on the market sooner, benefit Matt & whatever team he goes to.

mussop
03-11-2014, 01:31 PM
I don't mind keeping Schaub simply because I don't see a better option out there and I don't care when we draft a QB, I don't want him starting day one. IMO None of the QB's in this draft (even Bridgewater) are going to come right in and be ready to start.

mussop
03-11-2014, 01:33 PM
IMO, if they don't cut him today, it means they haven't made up their mind to do it.

Releasing him now would just get him on the market sooner, benefit Matt & whatever team he goes to.

Maybe they want to try and trade him after the draft.

mussop
03-11-2014, 01:40 PM
I didn't want McCain re-signed and McCain had one good year. He was sub par or poor every other year. And I know I wasn't the only one that was saying we should just let McCain walk.

But whatever...Not really a big debating point...he's gone now...

Que sara sara

It doesn't matter what you say no matter how rediculous you will always have someone here agree with you. Not resigning a young player after what appeared to be a breakout year to a reasonable contract would be a mistake. Smith has made plenty of BIGTIME mistakes to complain about. No need to fabricate more.

Brisco_County
03-11-2014, 01:44 PM
OD is a hard worker, a great player, and an overall good dude. One of my favorite Texans. I hope he has a breakout year with his next team.

Troy Chapman
03-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Same difference if they release him today or in two weeks. Just a few paychecks that McNair pays out each week he is here. No salary cap implications between now and two weeks from now.

El Tejano
03-11-2014, 01:51 PM
If they cut Schaub now, it'll tip their hand for the draft. They aint cutting Schaub now.

infantrycak
03-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Same difference if they release him today or in two weeks. Just a few paychecks that McNair pays out each week he is here. No salary cap implications between now and two weeks from now.

There are no paychecks involved here.

Nitrofish
03-11-2014, 02:03 PM
If they cut Schaub now, it'll tip their hand for the draft. They aint cutting Schaub now.

I keep hearing this excuse, but could you elaborate how it tips their hand please?

silentassassin
03-11-2014, 02:22 PM

http://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

EDIT: I should add that the purpose of posting the link isn't to directly contradict what I bolded, but to shed some light on the topic itself.

infantrycak
03-11-2014, 02:35 PM

That's not correct as stated. There is no difference on cap issues because they could designate him June 1st and cut him now. But keeping him obscures the Texans' QB intentions and many teams like to hide their cards.

jradMIT
03-11-2014, 02:41 PM
That's not correct as stated. There is no difference on cap issues because they could designate him June 1st and cut him now. But keeping him obscures the Texans' QB intentions and many teams like to hide their cards.

This, he could be a designated as such, meaning they don't have to actually wait for June 1st, I think this was new in the last CBA. They either don't want to tip their hand and/or keep their options open. I am still thinking there is only a remote chance he is here next year, but uggh it might be an actual possibility.

Troy Chapman
03-11-2014, 02:43 PM
This, he could be a designated as such, meaning they don't have to actually wait for June 1st, I think this was new in the last CBA. They either don't want to tip their hand and/or keep their options open. I am still thinking there is only a remote chance he is here next year, but uggh it might be an actual possibility.

I don't think it is remote chance, I think it is happening.

TexansSeminole
03-11-2014, 02:50 PM
I keep hearing this excuse, but could you elaborate how it tips their hand please?

Leave that stuff for the thread that you keep defending him in. We really don't need that in this thread.

We've been debating this and other topics in that thread for what seems like weeks. Are we really going to do that here too?

TheMatrix31
03-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Get the **** out of here, Brice McCain.

....sad to see Daniels go :(

TexansSeminole
03-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Get the **** out of here, Brice McCain.

....sad to see Daniels go :(

Daniels was clutch in the Kubiak system. It is sad to see him go, but I certainly understand it.

8 years, 385 receptions, 4617 yards, 29 touchdowns.

Nitrofish
03-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Leave that stuff for the thread that you keep defending him in. We really don't need that in this thread.

We've been debating this and other topics in that thread for what seems like weeks. Are we really going to do that here too?

I was unaware of a time limit imposed on topics, or what could be discussed in other topics. Thanks for setting me straight.

TexansSeminole
03-11-2014, 03:08 PM
I was unaware of a time limit imposed on topics, or what could be discussed in other topics. Thanks for setting me straight.

I see 4 pages of back in forth with you and 10 people discussing why we should or shouldn't keep Schaub in the future of this thread and I don't want that. I'd like to check this thread for cuts, especially with the 4pm deadline approaching, not to watch a debate from another thread get rehashed.

Your question is a bait question, that you will respond to with one of your extra long pro-Schaub rants and we'll get atleast a page of people arguing against it.

No thanks.

gtexan02
03-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Some guy on twitter said schaub trades to browns for a 4th. Any truth to this?

dalemurphy
03-11-2014, 03:20 PM

However, if they designate him as a June 1st cut, even if they cut him today, they do not receive the cap savings until June 1st... In other words, they can't use any of that $10 million until June... However, if they cut him today (without the June 1st designation), they would get the immediately $4 million in cap relief.

My guess is that they will keep him until they sign/trade for the veteran they may be targeting, or until after the draft, or until they find a trading partner.

Nitrofish
03-11-2014, 03:21 PM
I see 4 pages of back in forth with you and 10 people discussing why we should or shouldn't keep Schaub in the future of this thread and I don't want that. I'd like to check this thread for cuts, especially with the 4pm deadline approaching, not to watch a debate from another thread get rehashed.

Your question is a bait question, that you will respond to with one of your extra long pro-Schaub rants and we'll get atleast a page of people arguing against it.

No thanks.

Seems to me you are the one derailing this thread. I didn't bring up Schaub, I asked the commenter to elaborate on his post. Moving on.

kiwitexansfan
03-11-2014, 03:26 PM

Please be true. That would be awesome.

The Pencil Neck
03-11-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm going to miss OD. He had so many great plays while he was here. But... damn... every time he started to take over and live up to his potential he broke.

People talk about how the Patriots installed the two TE thing and everyone tried to copy them... but that was US with Dreessen and OD. We just never could capitalize on it.

Good luck to him.

But that had to be done. Let's see how deep this rebuild goes.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
03-11-2014, 03:29 PM

Package him with the first to them for their first and extra

Your man... Pots and pans

Troy Chapman
03-11-2014, 03:36 PM

"some guy" should give you enough indication. None of the other reputable sources have mentioned it.

HJam72
03-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Don't see this anywhere here. Haven't looked to see if it's in Chronicle or anything.

Sad to end it this way. It's just bleacher report, but I don't think they flat make stuff up.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1988745-owen-daniels-cut-by-texans-latest-details-comments-and-analysis?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=houston-texans

HOU-TEX
03-11-2014, 03:46 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104376

_King_
03-11-2014, 03:47 PM
So far Just OD and McCain Cut...

ObsiWan
03-11-2014, 04:42 PM
I'm going to miss OD. He had so many great plays while he was here. But... damn... every time he started to take over and live up to his potential he broke.
Sounds kinda like Gronk up in N.E. don't it?

People talk about how the Patriots installed the two TE thing and everyone tried to copy them... but that was US with Dreessen and OD. We just never could capitalize on it.
Well, not to the extent the Pats seemed to. But that's the diff between having a Brady vs. a Schaub as your triggerman.

Good luck to him.

But that had to be done. Let's see how deep this rebuild goes.
I wish him well also.

infantrycak
03-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Well, not to the extent the Pats seemed to. But that's the diff between having a Brady vs. a Schaub as your triggerman.

I'd say that was more the diff between Dreesen and either of the NE TEs. Schaub was always good at finding TEs and had OD on pace for 1000 yds 10 TDs one season.

Hervoyel
03-11-2014, 04:55 PM

I guess releasing him tells the world we're going QB with 1-1 or that's the assumption. Nobody who wants to trade the farm to get Clowney will call us because they'll figure we're not interested in him and they'll talk to the teams below us? Hanging on to him means we still have an interest in either the QB's or Clowney in play.

How that really matters I have no idea.

Mr teX
03-11-2014, 06:00 PM
I don't mind keeping Schaub simply because I don't see a better option out there and I don't care when we draft a QB, I don't want him starting day one. IMO None of the QB's in this draft (even Bridgewater) are going to come right in and be ready to start.

I agree...whomever we draft at qb needs to sit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CloakNNNdagger
03-11-2014, 06:05 PM
One the reasons going into the decision for the Texans to part ways with OD was because he failed his physical.

_King_
03-11-2014, 06:07 PM
One the reasons going into the decision for the Texans to part ways with OD was because he failed his physical.

Wow...

Playoffs
03-11-2014, 06:42 PM

For the record, OD says he's fully recovered/healthy.

thunderkyss
03-11-2014, 06:42 PM

Right. If we cut Matt Schaub, we're going to take a QB in the first.

Or... maybe the second.

If we don't cut Matt Schaub, QB is off our list.

That Rick Smith... he's playing chess, I'm playing checkers.

aussie_texan
03-11-2014, 06:50 PM

Or... maybe the second.

would trading him have the same cap implications as if we cut him today (ie not as a june 1st)

thunderkyss
03-11-2014, 06:51 PM
I guess releasing him tells the world we're going QB with 1-1 or that's the assumption. Nobody who wants to trade the farm to get Clowney will call us because they'll figure we're not interested in him and they'll talk to the teams below us? Hanging on to him means we still have an interest in either the QB's or Clowney in play.

We benched him for an UDFA who had been here for 3 years & had no idea what a zero blitz was. What about that says we're not looking for a QB at 1-1?

thunderkyss
03-11-2014, 06:55 PM
For the record, OD says he's fully recovered/healthy.

Ed? Is that you Mr Reed?

thunderkyss
03-11-2014, 06:57 PM
would trading him have the same cap implications as if we cut him today (ie not as a june 1st)

Yes. If we trade him we have to eat $10M of dead money this season. No way to push it off to next year where the cap goes up another $10M.

Marshall
03-11-2014, 07:03 PM

It amazes me how short of a memory many fans have. Schaub may not be elite, but he's not manure as many here would have you believe. He's probably better than any rookie we can draft, but too expensive. Value is his problem. Cutting him won't save too much this year, but it saves a bundle in 2015 and 2016 when we need the room.

Marshall
03-11-2014, 07:08 PM

Agreed. Hold your cards close to the vest. Keep a straight face and give no tells.

Marshall
03-11-2014, 07:12 PM

Or... maybe the second.

Or maybe we're going with Keenum... Every team needs to know that any player they covet might be gone with Houston's first pick. That's how to maximize the value of the pick for any trade. Keep them guessing.

aussie_texan
03-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Yes. If we trade him we have to eat $10M of dead money this season. No way to push it off to next year where the cap goes up another $10M.

ok thanks. surely we could trade him for a 4th maybe even in 3rd.
Gabbert of all people went for a 6th!

Marshall
03-11-2014, 07:16 PM
ok thanks. surely we could trade him for a 4th maybe even in 3rd.
Gabbert of all people went for a 6th!

The problem with trading him is his contract. It's too large to trade. It's far cheaper to just wait and work out a more favorable contract for a veteran QB and make Houston eat the dead money.

Lucky
03-11-2014, 07:20 PM
It amazes me how short of a memory many fans have. Schaub may not be elite, but he's not manure as many here would have you believe. He's probably better than any rookie we can draft, but too expensive. Value is his problem. Cutting him won't save too much this year, but it saves a bundle in 2015 and 2016 when we need the room.
The Matt Schaub of recent is manure. In his last 16 starts, Schaub has a 78.1 QB rating. That's Blaine Gabbert territory. Christian Ponder's area code. Yes, I remember Matt Schaub circa 2009-2011. Wish we still had him. Wish he still existed on the Planet Earth. He doesn't.

So, it's time to move on in the heartless world of professional sports. Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel will be good QBs, at some point. Bortles will be good, might take a little longer. Better to get one now, than hold on to some false hope that Matt Schaub will ever be a good QB again.

Maybe. But, how many guys coming off IR would pass a physical in March? Cushing probably wouldn't. I think the salary is the main factor. The Texans will probably use the cap savings to re-sign Graham, then take a bigger TE in the draft.

aussie_texan
03-11-2014, 07:32 PM
The problem with trading him is his contract. It's too large to trade. It's far cheaper to just wait and work out a more favorable contract for a veteran QB and make Houston eat the dead money.

its large but not unfavourable. to a team that has a large cap space, like the raiders, browns etc schuab offers better quality (at least thats how i would spin it if i was GM) for a contract that you can get out of relatively quickly without long term damage

steelbtexan
03-11-2014, 07:36 PM

He wasn't manure last yr?

Lucky
03-11-2014, 07:38 PM
its large but not unfavourable. to a team that has a large cap space, like the raiders, browns etc schuab offers better quality (at least thats how i would spin it if i was GM) for a contract that you can get out of relatively quickly without long term damage
A GM that could sell a Matt Schaub trade would be the ultimate spinmeister.

steelbtexan
03-11-2014, 07:40 PM

Joel Osteen would have nothing on said GM.

Marshall
03-11-2014, 07:48 PM

2014 $10,937,500
2015 $13.5M
2016 $15.5M

That is just too much when you can negotiate a favorable contract in the 7 figure range with just a little patience. My guess is $3M max.

Marshall
03-11-2014, 07:50 PM
He wasn't manure last yr?

No, he wasn't He was a descent QB with REALLY bad turnover problems. That part of a game can change quickly back with a running game and OL help.

CloakNNNdagger
03-11-2014, 07:58 PM
The Matt Schaub of recent is manure. In his last 16 starts, Schaub has a 78.1 QB rating. That's Blaine Gabbert territory. Christian Ponder's area code. Yes, I remember Matt Schaub circa 2009-2011. Wish we still had him. Wish he still existed on the Planet Earth. He doesn't.

So, it's time to move on in the heartless world of professional sports. Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel will be good QBs, at some point. Bortles will be good, might take a little longer. Better to get one now, than hold on to some false hope that Matt Schaub will ever be a good QB again.

Maybe. But, how many guys coming off IR would pass a physical in March? Cushing probably wouldn't. I think the salary is the main factor. The Texans will probably use the cap savings to re-sign Graham, then take a bigger TE in the draft.

Daniels said when he suffered the injury he thought it was a severe leg cramp. Another player landed on his leg as he made a catch. He ran off the field even after the break and didn't think much of it. He was found to have suffered a mid shaft fibula fracture. His fibula fracture was not displaced. If the fibula is not displaced, it heals without need for a cast nor crutches since it's not a weight-bearing bone. Daniels never required crutches or a cast and was expected to be back (remember he was designated to return following a week 5 injury). But it never happened due to slow progress. Now five months later, if he is not ready to pass his physical, something is significantly not right.

Lucky
03-11-2014, 08:01 PM
No, he wasn't He was a descent QB with REALLY bad turnover problems. That part of a game can change quickly back with a running game and OL help.
So it was the O-line's fault? Didn't Keenum have the same o-line and lack of running game? Maybe he's a decent QB, as well? Keenum, with the same line and running game, had a better TD %, better INT%, better YPA, and a higher QB rating. Guess we won't have to draft a QB, after all!!!

aussie_texan
03-11-2014, 08:03 PM
2014 $10,937,500
2015 $13.5M
2016 $15.5M

That is just too much when you can negotiate a favorable contract in the 7 figure range with just a little patience. My guess is $3M max.

who's to say team x negotiating with schuab actually gets him. if there are multiple teams that want him (so far reports say there are) than its a sellers market. play the teams against eachother. Schuab is easily the best QB from the draft (as in talent right now) or FA in the market. several teams will be desperate for him.

Lets say team Y trades for him and he plays up to his ability than his contract is favourable, if he doesnt then you cut him with little long term damage.
Making calls to teams saying that you dont have to be involved in a bidding war is the texans leverage

aussie_texan
03-11-2014, 08:03 PM

give it here!:user:

Lucky
03-11-2014, 08:07 PM
Now five months later, if he is not ready to pass his physical, something is significantly not right.
That's very likely true. But, these are the same doctors that OKed Ed Reed last year, right? Seem like if they want a guy to pass a physical, he passes. If they don't, he doesn't. I'm always a little leery of what I hear from the Texans. Your word is golden to me.

infantrycak
03-11-2014, 08:27 PM

So it was the O-line's fault? Didn't Keenum have the same o-line and lack of running game? Maybe he's a decent QB, as well? Keenum, with the same line and running game, had a better TD %, better INT%, better YPA, and a higher QB rating. Guess we won't have to draft a QB, after all!!!

I'd say the OL impaired the QBs last year but not enough to change conclusions about them.

Having said that Marshall has a point to a degree. Schaub's play was down across the board last year but it was the INTs that truly killed him. If his play had been exactly the same except he had his ordinary TD/INT ratio his rating would have been 17th among starting QBs as opposed to 30th as he was (thanks Eli and Geno). That doesn't mean I think he will be the Schaub of old next year here or anywhere else.

drs23
03-11-2014, 08:35 PM
OD is a hard worker, a great player, and an overall good dude. One of my favorite Texans. I hope he has a breakout year with THE RAVENS.

fify :D

drs23
03-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Don't see this anywhere here. Haven't looked to see if it's in Chronicle or anything.

Sad to end it this way. It's just bleacher report, but I don't think they flat make stuff up.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1988745-owen-daniels-cut-by-texans-latest-details-comments-and-analysis?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=houston-texans

REALLY? You didn't see that ANYWHERE? It's been a pretty hot topic ALL DAY LONG. Just sayin'.

drs23
03-11-2014, 08:48 PM

Really Jean? When did this happen?

If so, that really sux for OD, huh?

Texan_Bill
03-11-2014, 08:50 PM

What's $900k nowadays?!?!?? ;)

Texan_Bill
03-11-2014, 08:54 PM
fify :D

I see what you did there you sly sumbytch! ;)

HJam72
03-11-2014, 08:57 PM
REALLY? You didn't see that ANYWHERE? It's been a pretty hot topic ALL DAY LONG. Just sayin'.

OK, so I just popped in and looked through 2 pages of titles for "Owen" or "Daniels". Didn't notice the Waived/Release thread. So sue me. Didn't know about McCain till I did see this thread.

Big Lou
03-11-2014, 08:59 PM

If Rick Smith gets a third for Schaub they better build a bronze statue of Rick in front of Reliant!

If Schaub is good enough to warrant a third round pick with his overhead then we should be keeping him........

thunderkyss
03-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Or maybe we're going with Keenum... Every team needs to know that any player they covet might be gone with Houston's first pick. That's how to maximize the value of the pick for any trade. Keep them guessing.

Yeah... keeping Schaub doesn't tip our hand about what we're going to do. He's not going to stop us from grabbing a 1st round QB anymore than he'll stop us from grabbing a 5th round QB.

Posturing like we're going to start Kubiak is like John McLain "easing" past the doughnut table. You now damn well that man's going to grab a doughnut.

CloakNNNdagger
03-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Really Jean? When did this happen?

If so, that really sux for OD, huh?

This evening it was revealed by a very reliable source.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 3h

Owen Daniels cut with failed physical designation

drs23
03-11-2014, 09:08 PM
OK, so I just popped in and looked through 2 pages of titles for "Owen" or "Daniels". Didn't notice the Waived/Release thread. So sue me. Didn't know about McCain till I did see this thread.

Be expecting a summons to report! :D

Texan_Bill
03-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Yeah... keeping Schaub doesn't tip our hand about what we're going to do. He's not going to stop us from grabbing a 1st round QB anymore than he'll stop us from grabbing a 5th round QB.

Posturing like we're going to start Kubiak is like John McLain "easing" past the doughnut table. You now damn well that man's going to grab a doughnut.

Hey TK, the way I read that is that we as Texan's fans have Freudian "slips" with the whole Kubes/Schaub era.. :D

*DISCLAIMER*
I may have read that wrong!

Texan_Bill
03-11-2014, 09:15 PM
This evening it was revealed by a very reliable source.

Hey Doc....... What are the chances OD passes his physical in Baltimore??

Playoffs
03-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
The Texans did not make qualifying offers to restricted free agents DE Terrell McClain, WR Lestar Jean & OLB Bryan Braman. They are now UFA.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
From week 1 of the 2013 season. There are 19 players who are not here from that 53 man roster. #Texans

CloakNNNdagger
03-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Hey Doc....... What are the chances OD passes his physical in Baltimore??

Depends if some of the Texans doctors followed Kubiak.:kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
03-11-2014, 09:21 PM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 50m

Texans didn't make qualifying offers to RFAs OLB Bryan Braman, DE Terrell McClain and WR Lestar Jean. They're now free agents....

leebigeztx
03-11-2014, 09:24 PM
As I've said before, there is 0 to gain by cutting schaub now. There is a market for schaub. They could allow a team willing to trade for him to get him to restructure like palmer did last yr. It would serve the texans well and they're in contgrol, not schaub.no player is getting a check right now anyway.

Troy Chapman
03-11-2014, 10:50 PM
David Zangaro reports that an offer was made to Bramam but declined to test the free agent market.

Texn4life
03-11-2014, 11:00 PM
There are going to be a ton of roster spots to fill.

honored82
03-11-2014, 11:06 PM
There are going to be a ton of roster spots to fill.

Yup. There are already 19 members not on roster from Week 1 2013 season. Cant wait to see the names we add....

Texn4life
03-11-2014, 11:08 PM
Yup. There are already 19 members not on roster from Week 1 2013 season. Cant wait to see the names we add....

The only positive I can think of is we'll be a preferred spot for UDFAs.

Lucky
03-11-2014, 11:29 PM
David Zangaro reports that an offer was made to Bramam but declined to test the free agent market.
If the Texans made a qualifying offer, they would have the right to match a offer sheet that Braman signs. Of course, McClain said no offer was made.

Lucky
03-11-2014, 11:33 PM
As I've said before, there is 0 to gain by cutting schaub now. There is a market for schaub. They could allow a team willing to trade for him to get him to restructure like palmer did last yr. It would serve the texans well and they're in contgrol, not schaub.no player is getting a check right now anyway.
If you're using the Palmer trade as a benchmark, the Raiders swapped a 7th rounder for Arizona's 6th round pick, plus a 2014 7th round pick. Not a huge haul. I think they would be better served making Schaub a June 1st cut.

TheRealJoker
03-11-2014, 11:38 PM
The only positive I can think of is we'll be a preferred spot for UDFAs.

Our UDFA class last offseason was "stellar". Lets hope this year none of them wanna blaze up in a hotel room!

Corrosion
03-12-2014, 02:08 AM
. I think they would be better served making Schaub a June 1st cut.

The more I think about it , the less I like the idea of spreading out his cap hit .... I'd rather they eat it all in one season.
Reason being , I don't think they compete for a playoff spot this coming season , any QB they have will need a year in the league & the system.

Why not take all the lumps at once and get them outa the way and have that much more cap space to use the following offseason when JJ Watt is a free agent and you have to pony up ....

thunderkyss
03-12-2014, 02:27 AM
The more I think about it , the less I like the idea of spreading out his cap hit .... I'd rather they eat it all in one season.
Reason being , I don't think they compete for a playoff spot this coming season , any QB they have will need a year in the league & the system.

Why not take all the lumps at once and get them outa the way and have that much more cap space to use the following offseason when JJ Watt is a free agent and you have to pony up ....

I'm warming to the idea of taking our lumps. Originally I wanted to maximize cap space to sign a replacement QB & some nice young promising talent. As usual, most of those guys didn't hit the market, those that did are getting snatched up too quick & we haven't got off the pot yet. & I didn't want to have to cut OD, Manning, or restructure Jjo's deal.

Then the league gave us an extra $10M, which was all I thought we needed & we cut OD first.

Like you said, no need to free up any more money. We're not going to spend it anyway. Which is Rick's MO. He doesn't free up money he doesn't plan to use.

Hottoddie
03-12-2014, 03:50 AM
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26

PDS ‏@PatDStatQuote:
From week 1 of the 2013 season. There are 19 players who are not here from that 53 man roster. #Texans

At this rate, Rick's going to end up with 20-30 comp. picks. :rolleyes:

Sigma
03-12-2014, 04:35 AM
is this for real?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65401284/MSR.JPG

Marshall
03-12-2014, 04:39 AM

You raise an excellent point. We may have our QB already. It's certainly too soon to say what we have is garbage.

Marshall
03-12-2014, 04:45 AM
I'd say the OL impaired the QBs last year but not enough to change conclusions about them.

Having said that Marshall has a point to a degree. Schaub's play was down across the board last year but it was the INTs that truly killed him. If his play had been exactly the same except he had his ordinary TD/INT ratio his rating would have been 17th among starting QBs as opposed to 30th as he was (thanks Eli and Geno). That doesn't mean I think he will be the Schaub of old next year here or anywhere else.

Just to take the point one step further, I do not believe any of the rookie QBs will be better than 17th among starters, even with an improved line and running game. I sincerely believe Keenum might be better than any QB in this years draft, but it might be close.

Marshall
03-12-2014, 04:52 AM

A restructure is the only way I see Schaub involved in a trade, so both the team and Schaub have something to say about it. In fact, the Texans could also ask for a restructure and keep him. He can either go along or leave when cut. But I do not foresee him remaining with his current contract in place.

03-12-2014, 07:03 AM
is this for real?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65401284/MSR.JPG

LOL, interesting mistake you caught there...

Sigma
03-12-2014, 07:08 AM
LOL, interesting mistake you caught there...

I saw this on nfl.com and thought, wow the forum must be exploding right now...

but nothing, I have to say I was surprisingly pleased at the Idea we released Schaub.

I didn't expect to have that reaction to the news.

-edit-
about the mistake: they probably are using an algorithm that search for the player's name and the word "Released" (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331945/article/matt-schaub-would-have-interest-from-browns-raiders), more or less the same tool that helps you see the news about your team on nfl.com mobile app

infantrycak
03-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Just to take the point one step further, I do not believe any of the rookie QBs will be better than 17th among starters, even with an improved line and running game. I sincerely believe Keenum might be better than any QB in this years draft, but it might be close.

I am not going there. I think any of the top 3 QBs or Mallett have a chance to be top half QBs in their 1st year. A couple of the others might if they go to a low draft order team who plans to sit them and then loses their starter early.

Playoffs
03-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Signed away to "Texans North"...

Eagles snag another former #Texans player. Teams announces Bryan Braman 2-years, 3.15 million. 1 mill guarnteed.

2slik4u
03-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Signed away to "Texans North"...

I hate this move. Always like Braman and hoped he would turn out to be a solid starter for us one day. I think he has great upside.

Nitrofish
03-12-2014, 12:36 PM
I hate this move. Always like Braman and hoped he would turn out to be a solid starter for us one day. I think he has great upside.

He's a special teams expert, I don't think he will see any playing time at the LB position with the Eagles.

TheIronDuke
03-12-2014, 12:42 PM

I'll miss his ST play but if he couldn't get any PT at LB in our scrub-assed LB corps then I don't think he'll make it anywhere at LB.

CloakNNNdagger
03-12-2014, 01:29 PM

He's a special teams expert, I don't think he will see any playing time at the LB position with the Eagles.

I'll miss his ST play but if he couldn't get any PT at LB in our scrub-assed LB corps then I don't think he'll make it anywhere at LB.

I really liked Braman and had high hopes for him as an OLB. But it wasn't that he never got a legitimate chance at the position, rather than he never got the hang of playing OLB with his helmet on.

Norg
03-12-2014, 01:54 PM
what is it with the eagles with lovin them some former Texans players ..???

do they got a former coach or Office person there that came from Houston ..??

bah007
03-12-2014, 01:59 PM
I will miss Braman's tenacity on special teams but this is not some huge loss. He never gave us anything on defense and is easily replaceable.

TexansSeminole
03-12-2014, 01:59 PM
what is it with the eagles with lovin them some former Texans players ..???

do they got a former coach or Office person there that came from Houston ..??

They moved the a 3-4 defense last year so naturally our defensive players are going to be of interest to them.

HOU-TEX
03-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Eh, on Braman. He was given every opportunity to win the OLB spot after Barwin left and was easily beat out in preseason.

His special teams performance had been very good up until last season. Our STs were bad and he didn't do much to help them in 13

Happy for him getting a little cabbage, but also happy it isn't with us

Norg
03-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Eh, on Braman. He was given every opportunity to win the OLB spot after Barwin left and was easily beat out in preseason.

His special teams performance had been very good up until last season. Our STs were bad and he didn't do much to help them in 13

Happy for him getting a little cabbage, but also happy it isn't with us

was he really givin a chance realllyy reallyyyy with Kubes lol or even wade

Esp right when connar left we drafted merclius

HOU-TEX
03-12-2014, 02:29 PM
was he really givin a chance realllyy reallyyyy with Kubes lol or even wade

Esp right when connar left we drafted merclius

Yes, he was. He even talked about it in training camp

Corrosion
03-12-2014, 03:17 PM
I'm warming to the idea of taking our lumps. Originally I wanted to maximize cap space to sign a replacement QB & some nice young promising talent. As usual, most of those guys didn't hit the market, those that did are getting snatched up too quick & we haven't got off the pot yet. & I didn't want to have to cut OD, Manning, or restructure Jjo's deal.

Then the league gave us an extra $10M, which was all I thought we needed & we cut OD first.

Like you said, no need to free up any more money. We're not going to spend it anyway. Which is Rick's MO. He doesn't free up money he doesn't plan to use.

To me its simple , there is no instant fix to this team , especially @ QB.

I think its likely they draft one early (a QB) and it will take that player time to acclimate to the NFL. This coming season may be better than the last but I have low expectations going in , its a building year , not a competing year.

Because of that it makes little sense to spend money or divert money onto next years cap. Take the hit now , have a clear cap in 2015 after your new QB has a year under his belt , use that money to lock up Watt & fill some holes via FA and field a team with reasonable expectations of a deep playoff run for the next few seasons.

Diverting cap space in a year in which you don't expect to contend .... just doesn't make much sense to me.

TheIronDuke
03-12-2014, 03:25 PM
But I thought Bob said that he expects us to contend this year?

infantrycak
03-12-2014, 03:28 PM
But I thought Bob said that he expects us to contend this year?

I think folks are blowing that comment up and what he means is a substantial turnaround so we have not been eliminated from the playoffs before week 16 or 17. Think 2009 Texans - didn't make it on tie breakers.

BullNation4Life
03-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Braman...Braman....Braman....

Nope doesn't ring a bell...

See ya...Hardly knew ya...

Sigma
03-12-2014, 07:01 PM
Braman...Braman....Braman....

Nope doesn't ring a bell...

See ya...Hardly knew ya...

he was the one to block and return that punt (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000111720/WK-15-Can-t-Miss-Play-Texans-return-blocked-punt-for-TD) against indy

PHILLYTEXANFAN
03-12-2014, 07:07 PM
He tackled Marc Mariani without a helmet

PapaL
03-12-2014, 07:13 PM
He's the guy everyone wanted to do well but he was never able to learn to play D. That guy...

PHILLYTEXANFAN
03-12-2014, 07:14 PM
He's the guy everyone wanted to do well but he was never able to learn to play D. That guy...

Lol, right on the money with that one

steelbtexan
03-12-2014, 09:22 PM
To me its simple , there is no instant fix to this team , especially @ QB.

I think its likely they draft one early (a QB) and it will take that player time to acclimate to the NFL. This coming season may be better than the last but I have low expectations going in , its a building year , not a competing year.

Because of that it makes little sense to spend money or divert money onto next years cap. Take the hit now , have a clear cap in 2015 after your new QB has a year under his belt , use that money to lock up Watt & fill some holes via FA and field a team with reasonable expectations of a deep playoff run for the next few seasons.

Diverting cap space in a year in which you don't expect to contend .... just doesn't make much sense to me.

Yep, but boardroom BoBBy said coaching was the problem and expected a quick turnaround. Are you saying it's a talent issue and if so, who's responsible for these issues?

Corrosion
03-13-2014, 12:20 AM
Yep, but boardroom BoBBy said coaching was the problem and expected a quick turnaround. Are you saying it's a talent issue and if so, who's responsible for these issues?

Its a talent issue .... the gaping hole at QB is example #1. None of us ever expected Schaub to be a world beater but no one really expected him to be as bad as he was last season. Injuries strip players of their talents ... Schaub was limited already ,the injuries sealed the deal.

As for who's to blame , that'd be the guy who inked him to his current deal (Rick) after multiple injuries.

Blown draft picks , last years 3rd / 4th round was an absolute waste of assets. Injuries , poor fit , reaches , bad apples .... At the end of the day that falls on the GM.

Analyze the roster & tell me how many positions are lacking in talent from the beginning of last season , the team that started the season. Many here were complaining about RT , NT/DT , ILB , RG , CB and OLB. Then came the QB debacle.

Look at todays roster where there are holes at RT (Why hasn't Newton been cut?!) NT/DT , DE , LG , nCB , OLB , ILB , S , TE & QB with depth and health issues at RB & WR.

Some of those holes will be filled in the draft .... but its impossible to address them all there and because of the cap situation , difficult to add quality via FA.

When you realize just how many holes there are on this roster , you can easily see that McNair is delusional in thinking this is a quick turnaround. They might improve their record this season .... but it wont be the giant leap that KC made. We're looking at a 2-3 year rebuilding period ....

The common denominator in all the Texans issues is Rick Smith - lack of talent , poor drafting and cap hell. He had a hand in all of the above ....

steelbtexan
03-13-2014, 12:25 AM
Its a talent issue .... the gaping hole at QB is example #1. None of us ever expected Schaub to be a world beater but no one really expected him to be as bad as he was last season. Injuries strip players of their talents ... Schaub was limited already ,the injuries sealed the deal.

As for who's to blame , that'd be the guy who inked him to his current deal (Rick) after multiple injuries.

Blown draft picks , last years 3rd / 4th round was an absolute waste of assets. Injuries , poor fit , reaches , bad apples .... At the end of the day that falls on the GM.

Analyze the roster & tell me how many positions are lacking in talent from the beginning of last season , the team that started the season. Many here were complaining about RT , NT/DT , ILB , RG , CB and OLB. Then came the QB debacle.

Look at todays roster where there are holes at RT (Why hasn't Newton been cut?!) NT/DT , DE , LG , nCB , OLB , ILB , S , TE & QB with depth and health issues at RB & WR.

Some of those holes will be filled in the draft .... but its impossible to address them all there and because of the cap situation , difficult to add quality via FA.

When you realize just how many holes there are on this roster , you can easily see that McNair is delusional in thinking this is a quick turnaround. They might improve their record this season .... but it wont be the giant leap that KC made. We're looking at a 2-3 year rebuilding period ....

The common denominator in all the Texans issues is Rick Smith - lack of talent , poor drafting and cap hell. He had a hand in all of the above ....

Just wanted everybody to hear it from a guy who knows how the Texans inner workings are being carried out.

Thanks for responding

Hottoddie
03-13-2014, 12:27 AM
Hmmm......, the way Denver's loading up in free agency (and we're not even loading), why don't we just tank from the beginning so we can guarantee ourselves of the #1 pick next year. That's one way of getting our QB. :pissed:

steelbtexan
03-13-2014, 12:49 AM
Hmmm......, the way Denver's loading up in free agency (and we're not even loading), why don't we just tank from the beginning so we can guarantee ourselves of the #1 pick next year. That's one way of getting our QB. :pissed:

I hate losing but if you aren't a SB contender then you might as well tank

TheMatrix31
03-13-2014, 12:49 AM
Yay! What a great idea! Let's intentionally have a season like this last one again next time around!

What a ****ing stupid mentality.

thunderkyss
03-13-2014, 01:35 AM

I thought Sam Montgomery was 1st round talent, with character issues. I'm beginning to wonder if he was ever given a fair chance here. Maybe Rick picked him & Gary/Wade never wanted him. What if they took a stand & set the kid up to fail? Same with Trevardo, same with Brandon Harris? I know Harris isn't well liked around here, but he definitely out played McCain.

What if the rift between Kubiak & Smith started years ago, finally came to a head last season? This team has been bleeding talent for no good reason. Paying the wrong people a lot of money & getting nothing for talented players.

I'm pretty sure the coaches decide who makes the roster & who does not. Newton somehow made it past OB's crew, OD did not. McCain did not.

I've never understood why we couldn't get our young players to be as productive as the young players for other teams. We'll run Foster into the dirt before we put a healthy Ben Tate on the field. KDub takes every snap even though we have faster players on the sideline.... but we'll swap out or OGs & OTs every series?

That doesn't make sense.

Sigma
03-13-2014, 06:05 AM
Yay! What a great idea! Let's intentionally have a season like this last one again next time around!

What a ****ing stupid mentality.

I find it difficult to think we lost all that games in a row not on purpose.

sandman
03-13-2014, 06:13 AM

When you continue to trot out a UDFA that spent a few years on the practice squad over and over to "see what he's got", then yeah, you are basically saying you are not competitive. IF Keenum had brought a few victories, then it would have been a bonus, but to me it was clear that the coaches and FO gave up on the season long before the players did.

Sigma
03-13-2014, 06:51 AM
When you continue to trot out a UDFA that spent a few years on the practice squad over and over to "see what he's got", then yeah, you are basically saying you are not competitive. IF Keenum had brought a few victories, then it would have been a bonus, but to me it was clear that the coaches and FO gave up on the season long before the players did.

I can't say I'm against it tho, if your goal is winning the SB and nothing else matters you should put yourself in the best position to win the SB.

And that means that if you don't have a shot to the playoffs you have to lose out in order to improve your draft value.

I think people can't have that "losing on purpose is bad" attitude and at the same time say "the only thing that matters is winning the SB, everything else is worth nothing"

I personally would like a team that is a contender every year, going to the playoffs 8-9 years in a decade and to the SB one or two times even if they don't win (read, NE - indy) more than a team that maybe wins the SB 1 time and then goes into oblivion (read, baltimore - giants)

infantrycak
03-13-2014, 07:59 AM
I thought Sam Montgomery was 1st round talent, with character issues. I'm beginning to wonder if he was ever given a fair chance here. Maybe Rick picked him & Gary/Wade never wanted him. What if they took a stand & set the kid up to fail? Same with Trevardo, same with Brandon Harris? I know Harris isn't well liked around here, but he definitely out played McCain.

I've never understood why we couldn't get our young players to be as productive as the young players for other teams. We'll run Foster into the dirt before we put a healthy Ben Tate on the field. KDub takes every snap even though we have faster players on the sideline.... but we'll swap out or OGs & OTs every series?

That doesn't make sense.

What doesn't make sense is going all conspiracy theory when the coaching decisions don't agree with yours. Montgomery was a raw player many did not like as a pick and were consistently panning in their observations all the way back to training camp. He then got caught up in off field issues just like had him fall in the draft. He had shown nothing to support some kind of coaches were against him theory.

Tate got play time in line with backup RBs around the league when he was healthy.

Harris they simply did not like. I happen to agree he should have benched McCain but I am not going to assume the coaches agreed on talent and kept him off the field to spite themselves and the team over some feud with the FO.

Obviously they felt Walter's total package at WR was more valuable than a little extra speed. Get over it. Again that isn't evidence of a feud.

I can't say I'm against it tho, if your goal is winning the SB and nothing else matters you should put yourself in the best position to win the SB.

As Vinny and others have pointed out many times before that isn't how the NFL works. Players are not wedded to teams and there are too many of them for secrecy. They aren't going to hurt their careers to go out throw INTs, fumble the ball, miss tackles, miss blocks, etc. in order to have a less enjoyable life playing football and earn less money for the "good of the team" to get someone who may replace them and their teammates. Plus you don't waste 1 year of what on average is a 3-4 year career that way.

ArlingtonTexan
03-13-2014, 08:17 AM

Coaches/GMs should never play a dude "too see what they got." It is their business to know what which UFDA player has starter talent they lucked into, is a guy you have to put in a specific situation, or is playing because there is nothing better on the roster.

We fans might want to see "what someone has" teams are supposed to know.

ArlingtonTexan
03-13-2014, 09:07 AM

And that means that if you don't have a shot to the playoffs you have to lose out in order to improve your draft value.

I think people can't have that "losing on purpose is bad" attitude and at the same time say "the only thing that matters is winning the SB, everything else is worth nothing"

I personally would like a team that is a contender every year, going to the playoffs 8-9 years in a decade and to the SB one or two times even if they don't win (read, NE - indy) more than a team that maybe wins the SB 1 time and then goes into oblivion (read, baltimore - giants)

The NFL is not basketball or to some level baseball. Outside of the odd years where there is a clear franchise QB, the worst place to be is at the top of the NFL draft. Trading down is not more than 10% option. ( I will let you look up the last time the 1st pick overall was traded). the rest of the league knows that the dude that you are drafting at #1 will be no better and draw more attention than the dude they are drafting at 5, 8, maybe even 12.

Teams need 53 for the active roster and real about 65-70 players to get through a season (practice squad and IR). The best organizations find players throughout the draft, no matter the round and have few of UDFAs work beyond normal expectation. They also make a combination of a few key trades/free agent signings to fill specific roles. If you don't believe look at the structure of how Seattle was built.

thunderkyss
03-13-2014, 09:41 AM
What doesn't make sense is going all conspiracy theory when the coaching decisions don't agree with yours.

Conspiracy theory... thinking out loud.. whatever. Rick Smith is still here. Our owner believes we're going to be competitive, most of us see a major lack of talent & little cap room to show for it.

Something doesn't add up.

Get over it.

You're right, the "Rick Smith Sucks!!" dialogue is so much more engaging.

Playoffs
03-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Our owner believes we're going to be competitive, most of us see a major lack of talent & little cap room to show for it. Something doesn't add up.

That narrative is changing. Smith backtracked on the "we're close" when OB and staff completed their player assessments. We have a lot of turnover ahead and depth to add just going from a small 3-4 to a big 3-4. Add in the offensive needs plus depth and it's not going to be a quick turnaround back into the playoffs.

_King_
03-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Has Crennel said we're running a 34?

Hervoyel
03-13-2014, 11:06 AM
Coaches/GMs should never play a dude "too see what they got." It is their business to know what which UFDA player has starter talent they lucked into, is a guy you have to put in a specific situation, or is playing because there is nothing better on the roster.

We fans might want to see "what someone has" teams are supposed to know.

I'd mostly agree with that but I think in a case where a players practice performance doesn't seem to match up with what they saw out of him in games in college or preseason then maybe I can understand the staff needing to see if they have a guy who can do that in real NFL games. When a guy can't practice himself up to a starting role but indications are he plays much better (or might).

Just to see if a guy needs the intensity and competition to step up. Sometimes that is the case.

Admittedly a rare situation but that's all I got. Otherwise I think you're right.

Hervoyel
03-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Has Crennel said we're running a 34?

I don't think anybody has said much of anything about..... anything.

This staff is crazy quiet if you ask me. I think in past years we had more information than this during the offseason but maybe I'm just imagining it because I want more information and this isn't the time of year that the team is usually giving us much.

Hervoyel
03-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Conspiracy theory... thinking out loud.. whatever. Rick Smith is still here. Our owner believes we're going to be competitive, most of us see a major lack of talent & little cap room to show for it.

Something doesn't add up.

You're right, the "Rick Smith Sucks!!" dialogue is so much more engaging.

I look at the guys we're cutting or letting walk and then the guys we are left with.

Then I exclude the ones that are obviously players you keep because there's no question about players like Watt, AJ, Cushing, and so forth.

Then I look at all the "crap that's left over" (Forgive me the "Twins" reference) and ask myself "Who in there that we seem to be keeping around is really going to surprise us and play much better with a different coaching staff or system?"

I don't see a lot of guys in that group who leave me thinking things like "Wait until the league sees what Derrick Newton and Brandon Harris can really do now!"

The guys who are signing with other teams are players that those teams think can help them and they're not holding bad seasons necessarily against them. The Texans obviously disagree in some cases because we're not making any effort to keep most of those guys.

It's disconcerting if you thought they were more talented than their performance indicated. If the Texans are correct though and looking at the guys going out the door it really says that we're rebuilding regardless of what McNair has been saying. I speculate that they've been pretty quiet over there because a dose of reality has hit Bob and he probably knows that we've got to rebuild but won't make a point of coming out and admitting that he was wrong.

dream_team
03-13-2014, 12:35 PM
It's disconcerting if you thought they were more talented than their performance indicated. If the Texans are correct though and looking at the guys going out the door it really says that we're rebuilding regardless of what McNair has been saying. I speculate that they've been pretty quiet over there because a dose of reality has hit Bob and he probably knows that we've got to rebuild but won't make a point of coming out and admitting that he was wrong.

No matter what, the owner has to continuously "sell" his team. Not only to the fans, but also to the players, coaching staff, and free agents. No good comes out if an owner publicly announces, "We have to re-build this team."

Playoffs
03-13-2014, 02:42 PM
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Texans LB Darryl Sharpton agrees to a 1 yr deal with Washington worth up to $2 mil

TheIronDuke
03-13-2014, 02:51 PM
Do we have any ILB's now besides Cushing? Tarpinian? I can't believe how many holes FA has left us with, it's kind of comical at this point.

_King_
03-13-2014, 03:05 PM

That't one guy I won't miss at all really.

Hardly knew him.

Dutchrudder
03-13-2014, 03:09 PM

Texans LB Darryl Sharpton agrees to a 1 yr deal with Washington worth up to $2 mil

Well, if we don't do anything in free agency, we should get a 6th or 7th comp pick for him. Not bad, considering nobody would have traded that for him. Thanks Redskins!

Hervoyel
03-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Texans LB Darryl Sharpton agrees to a 1 yr deal with Washington

ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou.. ....

Far as I'm concerned the Texans just "won" free agency.

Hervoyel
03-13-2014, 03:13 PM
Do we have any ILB's now besides Cushing? Tarpinian? I can't believe how many holes FA has left us with, it's kind of comical at this point.

Did we ever have any ILB's besides Cushing to begin with?

Now if we could see Reed go to ILB maybe things will get better?

Stop laughing.

ArlingtonTexan
03-13-2014, 03:15 PM

Were you really wanting any more Sharpton/Mays right about now? I am rarely the you just find dudes laying around guy, but you always find the Sharpton/Mays type dudes.

ArlingtonTexan
03-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Well, if we don't do anything in free agency, we should get a 6th or 7th comp pick for him. Not bad, considering nobody would have traded that for him. Thanks Redskins!

Yeah, that's the one way these little signings of dudes we don't give spit about do help assuming you care about getting a 7th round pick in 2015. My unofficial count for the Texans is 4 (Ninja I know not done yet, Sharpton, mays, Mitchell).

Dutchrudder
03-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Yeah, that's the one way these little signings of dudes we don't give spit about do help assuming you care about getting a 7th round pick in 2015. My unofficial count for the Texans is 4 (Ninja I know not done yet, Sharpton, mays, Mitchell).

Good so far. I'll let the dust settle before making an estimate on next year's comp picks. Really need to know the APY to get a good guess as to what round the picks will be. The players also need to make the 53 man roster, so Sharpton might end up being a zero if there isn't any guaranteed money.

HOU-TEX
03-13-2014, 03:23 PM

He must've liked their training room

This just in: Sharpton didn't practice today

*Sorry, had to get one last one in*

msbbc833
03-13-2014, 03:26 PM

Are these 7th round picks really any better than signing UDFAs after the draft? I am guessing they are pretty much worthless

ArlingtonTexan
03-13-2014, 03:46 PM
Are these 7th round picks really any better than signing UDFAs after the draft? I am guessing they are pretty much worthless

the best thing is that a team can just draft a guy they like versus have him choose where he wants to go. All of these guys are long shots ever be worth anything, so the overriding point is fair.

Dutchrudder
03-13-2014, 03:52 PM

The Texans are going to need a punter next year, so that would be a good time to draft one with potential.

Playoffs
03-13-2014, 04:21 PM

In this draft, yes. There will be undrafted WRs that make an impact, imo.

Wolf6151
03-13-2014, 07:51 PM
ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou.. ....

Far as I'm concerned the Texans just "won" free agency.

My sentiments exactly.

Insideop
03-13-2014, 08:28 PM

Yeah, Evan Frierson (6-2, 234). He's on IR with Cushing! :)

There are other LB's listed on the Official Roster that could be ILB's but they're only listed as LB's, like Paul Hazel :shocked, Mike Mohamed, Ricky Sapp, Tarpinian, and Justin Tuggle. They're going to have to get one in the Draft IMO, even if they move Reed inside.

Vance87
03-13-2014, 10:17 PM

Right after he signed the contract his hand cramped up, he's currently listed as day to day...:kitten:

Texan_Bill
03-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Did we ever have any ILB's besides Cushing to begin with?.

We once had a guy named Jamie Sharper who wasn't so bad.

That said Cushing is a badass, but he is oft injured - whether cheap-shots or freak injuries.... Bottom line Cush has a hard time finishing a season.

Texan_Bill
03-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Right after he signed the contract his hand cramped up, he's currently listed as day to day...:kitten:

This is extremely funny to me!!! :thisbig:

kingtexan
03-14-2014, 02:57 PM
We once had a guy named Jamie Sharper who wasn't so bad.

Didn't I hear he was in on one of the drug and rape situations his brother recently did?

Maybe he was bad after all ...

The Pencil Neck
03-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Per Adam Schefter, the Ninja becomes a Raider for 2 years, $9 M.

CloakNNNdagger
03-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Didn't I hear he was in on one of the drug and rape situations his brother recently did?

Maybe he was bad after all ...

Pretty sick stuff.

Darren Sharper, brother Jamie, subject of 2011 sexual misconduct probe in Miami Beach, police say

Manuel Torres, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune. By Manuel Torres,
on February 20, 2014 at 12:12 PM, updated February 20, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Darren Sharper and his brother, Jamie, were investigated for sexual misconduct in Miami Beach in 2011, according to a police report detailing allegations made by two women.

The case led to no charges, after a doctor's examination found no evidence of sexual battery, the document say.

But police released the report Thursday, as it confirmed that Darren Sharper is now the subject of a new sexual battery investigation in Miami Beach. The revelation raises to eight the number of ongoing investigations of sexual crimes in recent months involving the former New Orleans Saints star safety.

Miami Beach Police Detective Vivian Hernandez confirmed that police has opened a criminal probe involving Sharper. The investigation was prompted by a complaint made earlier this year, Hernandez said, but she said the department could not release any details because the investigation is ongoing.

The previous investigation of Sharper in Miami Beach was prompted by a March 18, 2011, incident involving two Georgia women who were in Miami on spring break, according to the report from that 2011 probe.

The report said the women had gone to Sharper's condo, where other men were also present, and fallen asleep on a couch. One of the women said she woke up around 6 a.m. to find either Sharper or his brother, Jamie, "behaving inappropriately by exposing his penis and attempting to bring it close to her face," the police report said.

The woman told the man to leave her alone, and the man did, the police narrative said. The woman told police she then fell asleep again and woke up shortly after to find the same man, either Darren or Jamie Sharper, "attempting to lift her dress."

At this point the woman awoke the other Georgia woman and they both noticed their underwear has been removed while they were asleep, the report said.

The Georgia women were taken to a rape treatment center, but a doctor's examination found no evidence of sexual battery, so the case was closed, according to the report.

Authorities say Sharper is a resident of Miami Beach.

Sharper is to be arraigned Thursday (Feb. 20) in Los Angeles on rape and drug charges involving two women in separate incidents. He's also under investigation in five other alleged rapes, including one in New Orleans, two in Arizona and two in Nevada.

Sharper's attorney in New Orleans has said her client did nothing wrong. His attorney in California has said Sharper will be exonerated of the charges there. Jamie Sharper could not be reached for comment.

Hervoyel
03-14-2014, 08:30 PM
I'm confused. The Texans defense was not good last year. The Texans sucked last season and you would think that the guys getting signed like Sharpton, Smith, Mitchell, McClain, Mays, and Braman wouldn't be in much demand.

I'm not all that concerned about how many are going out the door but why is there such a market for Texans defenders? Particularly guys that we're making no effort to keep?

Playoffs
03-14-2014, 08:52 PM
I'm not all that concerned about how many are going out the door but why is there such a market for Texans defenders? Particularly guys that we're making no effort to keep?

Salary cap and some people's need to spend. Reid drafted Mays. Braman special teams. Ignoring injury history. Greater fools. Mitchell is young and projects well to a 4-3.

Some of these prices are just high, imo. Doubling downtrending guy's salaries. Not smart. Smarter budgeting when building allows for splashy need signings when you're closer to the prize.

Big Lou
03-14-2014, 08:53 PM
I feel so bad for AJ we are in full rebuilding mode. If McNair thought we were retooling and contending he's wrong. We got a lot of holes to fill let alone improve at most positions.

infantrycak
03-14-2014, 09:16 PM
I feel so bad for AJ we are in full rebuilding mode. If McNair thought we were retooling and contending he's wrong. We got a lot of holes to fill let alone improve at most positions.

If the coaching was so bad, maybe we don't need a whole new roster. :kitten:

Brisco_County
03-14-2014, 09:26 PM
If the coaching was so bad, maybe we don't need a whole new roster. :kitten:

Maybe it worked out for the best. I still have confidence in Kubiak as a coach, but that ministroke was scary.

DX-TEX
03-14-2014, 09:30 PM

That's why I keep saying (And constantly get flamed for it) trade Dre now while he has some value.

infantrycak
03-14-2014, 09:42 PM
That's why I keep saying (And constantly get flamed for it) trade Dre now while he has some value.

And you deserve to get flamed for it.

DX-TEX
03-14-2014, 09:55 PM
And you deserve to get flamed for it.

Why? He deserves to play on a contender.

infantrycak
03-14-2014, 10:10 PM
Why? He deserves to play on a contender.

He deserves the contract he agreed to, there is no indication he wants to leave and the Texans will receive nothing near his value in trade. It makes zero sense.

DX-TEX
03-14-2014, 10:51 PM
He deserves the contract he agreed to, there is no indication he wants to leave and the Texans will receive nothing near his value in trade. It makes zero sense.

He is on the wrong side of 30 and his contract just escalates going forward. Trade him now, appreciate what he gave and move on.

Its the circle of life Simba.

ArlingtonTexan
03-14-2014, 11:07 PM

I have never gotten scale quite correct between

1- the old player to take joy in sending away
2- the old player who is allowed to in relative terms allow to stay, leave or whatever with little notice or interest.
3- the old player who deserves to be traded for peanuts to a contender.

infantrycak
03-14-2014, 11:51 PM
He is on the wrong side of 30 and his contract just escalates going forward. Trade him now, appreciate what he gave and move on.

Maybe if you would do a modicum of research it would help. His cap hit goes up just 500k in 2015 and then goes down a mil below his 2014 cap hit in 2016.

Instead of your proposal, in 2016 the smart thing would be restructure and extend him for 3 years to finish in Houston at high end #2 money which halves or more his cap hit.

FYI - The stretch AJ is entering is when Jerry Rice led the league in receiving 2 years and then led in receptions the 3rd (and then played another 8 seasons). He's 32, he's not dead. He'd have had another 1500 yd season last year if he hadn't had two monkeys fornicating a football rather than throwing it to him and he still ended up with 1407 yds.

And you want to give him up for what, a 2nd? Yeah, you're nucking futs.

thunderkyss
03-14-2014, 11:59 PM

Andre decided he wanted to be a part of what we've got here. He hitched his wagon to Bob McNair & by extension, Gary Kubiak & Bill Obrien. He saw better than we ever have what was going on down on Kirby & he hitched his wagon to that pony not once, but 3 times.

I'm sure things have not worked out the way he wanted them to, but I'm sure he's willing to accept that.

Hottoddie
03-15-2014, 02:28 AM

If, & only if, AJ asks to be traded would I trade him. He's still putting up incredible numbers & commands the attention of the opposition's #1 CB in every game. I understand what you mean, but AJ has to ask for it first.

I'm as frustrated as anyone on this board over how this off season is going thus far, but I have to believe they have a plan for turning this team around in short order. I'm not going to quit complaining about the fact we've lost 6 players (only 4 that I wanted to keep) so far with Tate to be added shortly & the only FA we've tried to bring in was a 1 year wonder. With all the media out there, we haven't been linked to any free agents or scheduled any visits. I would've been perfectly happy if we had just signed a starting RT. Another year of Newton is going to force me to glue some hair on my head so I can pull it out.:headhurts:

Sigma
03-15-2014, 10:32 AM
nucking futs

lol

djohn2oo8
03-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Browns sign Ben Tate.

ArlingtonTexan
03-15-2014, 03:13 PM

Browns sign Ben Tate.

Well the count is up to five.

Hottoddie
03-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Well the count is up to five.

Actually, I believe it's 7 with 12 more to go.

Bryan Braman
Joe Mays
Terrell McClain
Earl Mitchell
Darryl Sharpton
Antonio Smith
Ben Tate

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

honored82
03-15-2014, 04:05 PM
--DT Earl Mitchell: UFA Dolphins; $16M/4 yrs, $9M guaranteed.
--ILB Darryl Sharpton: UFA Redskins; terms unknown.
--DE Antonio Smith: UFA Raiders; $9M/2 yrs.
--ILB Joe Mays: UFA Chiefs; $6M/2 yrs.
--RB Ben Tate : UFA Browns

--DE Terrell McClain: Not tendered as RFA/Cowboys; 3 yrs, terms unknown.
--OLB Bryan Braman: Not tendered as RFA/Eagles; 2 yrs, terms unknown.

7 so far. The last 2 do not count towards Compensatory picks. So 5 so far.

May be Owen and Wade next....

ChampionTexan
03-15-2014, 04:11 PM
May be Owen and Wade next....

Owen wouldn't/won't count towards comp picks either.

honored82
03-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Owen wouldn't count toward comp picks either.

Yup. Forgot he was released.
I hope somebody picks up Deji Karim, Greg Jones and Ray graham.

Hottoddie
03-15-2014, 10:53 PM
As of this moment, Houston & St. Louis are the only two teams in the entire NFL that have not added even one player in free agency! I sure hope something happens next week. With no updates or communications from the front office, I'm starting to lose some of the excitement about the new regime.

Yea, yea, I know, I need to be patient. After all, we're only 35 days into free agency.:sarcasm::facepalm:

Corrosion
03-16-2014, 12:55 AM
As of this moment, Houston & St. Louis are the only two teams in the entire NFL that have not added even one player in free agency! I sure hope something happens next week. With no updates or communications from the front office, I'm starting to lose some of the excitement about the new regime.

Yea, yea, I know, I need to be patient. After all, we're only 35 days into free agency.:sarcasm::facepalm:

They are doing the right thing by not spending on this years FA's. They aren't close , have no QB and are in cap hell. Might as well take your lumps in year 1 clearing the cap while getting your new coach and QB some on the job training.

I don't expect any significant FA signings this season .... maybe a couple bargain guys like Joe Mays was last season. Capable NFL talent on the cheap.

Hottoddie
03-16-2014, 05:07 AM
They are doing the right thing by not spending on this years FA's. They aren't close , have no QB and are in cap hell. Might as well take your lumps in year 1 clearing the cap while getting your new coach and QB some on the job training.

I don't expect any significant FA signings this season .... maybe a couple bargain guys like Joe Mays was last season. Capable NFL talent on the cheap.

I agree they shouldn't (and didn't have the money) have gone hog wild, but there were several very good RT's available. Even though the better ones would've cost a little more, they were in their 20's & O'Linemen can typically play at a high level into their mid thirties. That would've made signing a RT a good investment. No matter who we put at QB, they won't succeed if they can't stay upright.

Blake
03-16-2014, 07:51 AM
I agree they shouldn't (and didn't have the money) have gone hog wild, but there were several very good RT's available. Even though the better ones would've cost a little more, they were in their 20's & O'Linemen can typically play at a high level into their mid thirties. That would've made signing a RT a good investment. No matter who we put at QB, they won't succeed if they can't stay upright.

Maybe they feel good enough about Brennan Williams coming back and are planning on getting a RT somewhere in the draft which there are plenty of. I mean we did spend a 3rd round pick on Williams, and he does have NFL bloodlines. He might be the answer at that position, so why spend millions on a FA.

ArlingtonTexan
03-16-2014, 09:52 AM

At this point this has to be the strategy. It makes sense. Now, do you trust them to make the right cheap one or two years signings is a whole different question?

thunderkyss
03-16-2014, 12:08 PM

Bryan Braman
Joe Mays
Terrell McClain
Earl Mitchell
Darryl Sharpton
Antonio Smith
Ben Tate

That's how bad we suck. 7 of our FAs snatched up in the frenzy of the first wave of activity.

Playoffs
03-16-2014, 12:22 PM
That's how bad we suck. 7 of our FAs snatched up in the frenzy of the first wave of activity.

It's because of our crappy GM getting crappy players that crappy teams steal away with crappy money. We didn't have this problem with Casserly.

infantrycak
03-16-2014, 12:26 PM
It's because of our crappy GM getting crappy players that crappy teams steal away with crappy money. We didn't have this problem with Casserly.

I'm hoping there is a missing sarcasm smilie for this post.

thunderkyss
03-16-2014, 12:35 PM

There are no lumps to take, unless you cut Schaub, Andre, Jjo, Duane Brown, Arian, & Cushing. That's where our cap hell is. That's where our dead money is.

If we wait until next season to cut these players, there will be:

$13M . Brian Cushing
$7.0M. Andre Johnson
$7.0M. Matt Schaub
$5.0M. Duane Brown
$5.0M. Arian Foster
$3.8M. Johnathan Joseph

$40.8M next year if we don't cut these players now. Rebuilding doesn't start until you cut these players, at least Cushing, Andre, & Matt.

Those contracts are why we are in "cap hell"

Playoffs
03-16-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm hoping there is a missing sarcasm smilie for this post.

I figured the Casserly part made it obvious.

infantrycak
03-16-2014, 12:38 PM

With some of the opinions being slung around lately, just making sure.

CloakNNNdagger
03-16-2014, 12:57 PM
I caught that and figured that's how you meant it.........but that little bit of doubt left me :shots:

steelbtexan
03-16-2014, 01:05 PM

Bryan Braman
Joe Mays
Terrell McClain
Earl Mitchell
Darryl Sharpton
Antonio Smith
Ben Tate

Not 1 above avg player in the bunch. Several below avg guys who may or nay not make it out of TC.

kingtexan
03-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Not 1 above avg player in the bunch. Several below avg guys who may or nay not make it out of TC.

Pretty sure they all make it out of camp, but I agree for the most part. I like Braman, but 610 was talking about him possibly having fell back into the bad crowd again and there being some concerns.

Hope he does well in Philly ... kid had heart.

djohn2oo8
03-16-2014, 01:58 PM

This. People getting riled up over players who barely made a difference. :vincepalm:

infantrycak
03-16-2014, 02:40 PM

Well you've collected a flock with your hyperbole. Smith, Mitchell and Tate are headed off to be starters. Smith and Mitchell are also both above average. Tate I would agree is average as a starter. In comparison to all the RBs in the NFL he is well above average.

JB
03-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Well you've collected a flock with your hyperbole. Smith, Mitchell and Tate are headed off to be starters. Smith and Mitchell are also both above average. Tate I would agree is average as a starter. In comparison to all the RBs in the NFL he is well above average.

You've got to remember that Steelb is gonna be filled with hate as long as McNair owns the Texans... :kitten:

steelbtexan
03-16-2014, 03:53 PM

Really, Smith is 32 yrs old and I can nae you 20 DE's I would take over him off of the top of my head. Mitchell wasn't even a good NT. Did you take a look at PFF's stats on avg gain running between the tackles? Ever wonder why Cushing struggles with injuries? Could it be that Mitchell cant keep OL off of Cushings knees?

Tate has the ability to be great, but he's.

1. Injury prone
2. Isn't good at catching the ball out of the backfield.
3. A fumbler

I hope Tate does well and he could be a steal for the Browns.

If the Texans have all of these above avg players how did they finish 2-14. I for one am glad they are letting people go and turning a new leaf.

steelbtexan
03-16-2014, 04:00 PM
You've got to remember that Steelb is gonna be filled with hate as long as McNair owns the Texans... :kitten:

Wrong,

I don't hate the owner. I just question his will to win over his will to make $$$$. This is shown by the lack of accountability. Why should anybody be held accountable when the owner keeps cashing those checks?

Obviously 3, 1-1's in 11 yrs should make fans question the owners leadership and the direction the franchise is headed.

That only seems reasonable to me. To you I'm a hater.

sandman
03-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Wrong,

I don't hate the owner. I just question his will to win over his will to make $$$$. This is shown by the lack of accountability. Why should anybody be held accountable when the owner keeps cashing those checks?

Obviously 3, 1-1's in 11 yrs should make fans question the owners leadership and the direction the franchise is headed.

Seriously? You're trying to knock him for having 1-1 in the first year of an expansion franchise?

Christ, the last 1-1 was 7 drafts ago. They've only picked higher than 15th once in the last five drafts.

Get some therapy. Or drink a beer or three.

People wonder why the sports gods have cursed this town? Maybe it's because of the fans...

Texian
03-16-2014, 06:04 PM

If you don't think any of these guys were average wait until you see their replacements. You're really going to love it. :)

WolverineFan
03-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Really, Smith is 32 yrs old and I can nae you 20 DE's I would take over him off of the top of my head.

Smith is a solid player. Not anything special, but not a JAG either IMO. He's also slotted to be an interior rusher for Oakland, not a DE.

Mitchell wasn't even a good NT. Did you take a look at PFF's stats on avg gain running between the tackles?

That's probably because he's not a NT. He's a 3' tech pass rusher who was miscast as a NT in a system that didn't suit his skill set. I'm fairly confident he will have a good year in Miami and people around here will be stunned. He was no slouch coming out of college. Just misused.

Ever wonder why Cushing struggles with injuries? Could it be that Mitchell cant keep OL off of Cushings knees?

Pretty sure he struggled with injuries because he took a cheap-shot clip from behind for his first injury and misread a cut-block on his second injury. Neither play involved Mitchell so I fail to see where he fits into that equation.

Tate has the ability to be great, but he's.

1. Injury prone
2. Isn't good at catching the ball out of the backfield.
3. A fumbler

I hope Tate does well and he could be a steal for the Browns.

I agree on Tate. He's definitely a physical talent, but he has plenty of areas to improve on.

JB
03-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Wrong,

I don't think you're a hater, that's why I put up the :kitten:

I do think you don't look at things objectively. Not many franchises have been to the SB in the first 12 years of their existence. I think Bob McNair is trying his best to provide this city with a winner. One that will win multiple super bowls. He's also having to learn. Thinking that he is in it only for the dollars is ludicrous. He wants to win as bad as you do. Unfortunately on the advice of people he trusted he made a bad decision on the two GM's he's hired. He did stick with both for too long, but turning them over too fast would be even worse. He's a hell of a lot better owner than Bud was

But you can keep on with your negativity, keeps things lively on here

dc_txtech
03-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Ever wonder why Cushing struggles with injuries? Could it be that Mitchell cant keep OL off of Cushings knees?

I totally agree with this. Totally legit argument.

Look everybody you can see Earl Mitchell end Cushing's 2012 season at this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8iwf8J2LNw

In 2013 Mitchell ended Cushing's season by letting a RB run right into Cush's knee.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Brian-Cushing-needs-surgery-for-significant-knee-injury/501ffdde-8d38-4d0b-ba85-892f493eb11c

The most impressive part was that Mitchell managed to do this while not even being on the field for either play. Get that guy as far away from Houston as you can or Cushing may never play another down!

infantrycak
03-16-2014, 07:11 PM
The most impressive part was that Mitchell managed to do this while not even being on the field for either play. Get that guy as far away from Houston as you can or Cushing may never play another down!

If Mitchell had been good enough he would have been in the game and Cushing wouldn't have been injured. :cool:

Playoffs
03-16-2014, 07:40 PM
...The most impressive part was that Mitchell managed to do this while not even being on the field for either play. Get that guy as far away from Houston as you can or Cushing may never play another down!
http://i.imgur.com/Oc5H1.jpg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXRM3lFRwRI)

He hates these cans!!!

steelbtexan
03-16-2014, 08:00 PM
I don't think you're a hater, that's why I put up the :kitten:

I do think you don't look at things objectively. Not many franchises have been to the SB in the first 12 years of their existence. I think Bob McNair is trying his best to provide this city with a winner. One that will win multiple super bowls. He's also having to learn. Thinking that he is in it only for the dollars is ludicrous. He wants to win as bad as you do. Unfortunately on the advice of people he trusted he made a bad decision on the two GM's he's hired. He did stick with both for too long, but turning them over too fast would be even worse. He's a hell of a lot better owner than Bud was

But you can keep on with your negativity, keeps things lively on here

It is true I do set high expectations. I also do this in my life. How long should I wait before you believe he's in it for the $$$$? How long is it going to take him to learn to build a winner or want to win as bad as you think he does? A decade, 20 yrs, IYO, You know the owner is in his 70's he probably doesn't have more than 20 yrs left. Although his did is over 100 and I believe still living.

I'm just looking for a time frame that you would change your mind. Also Bud was one of McNaire best friends/business mentors. So they may be more alike than you or I would like to admit.