PDA

View Full Version : Report: Texans attempting to re-sign G. Graham

ArlingtonTexan
03-04-2014, 09:55 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/04/report-texans-working-to-re-sign-garrett-graham/

Playoffs
03-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Patriots and Packers interested.

Troy Chapman
03-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Lock him up. Release OD. Grab another TE in the 5th round.

Dutchrudder
03-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Patriots and Packers interested.

Ouch. Two championship contenders or a team in the midst of rebuilding... I think I'd go with one of the former if the money is even close.

IDEXAN
03-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Not sure why the new regime would be that interested in GG, who's a smallish TE of average ability when OB seems to be more interested in the larger, more traditional in-line TEs, unless it's just a dearth of vets at this position who are available.

bah007
03-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Not sure why the new regime would be that interested in GG, who's a smallish TE of average ability when OB seems to be more interested in the larger, more traditional in-line TEs, unless it's just a dearth of vets at this position who are available.

Graham could fill a role similar to the one Hernandez was in for the Patriots. The Patriots typically like to have two big TEs who can block and run, and one smaller move TE who is a hybrid player.

ObsiWan
03-04-2014, 11:19 AM

That's what the article implies; it's a seller's mkt for TEs.

Jimmy Graham- - - - - Saints - - - - - $7,035,000
Jermichael Finley - - Packers- - - - - $7,000,000
Dustin Keller - - - - Dolphins - - - - $4,250,000
Brandon Pettigrew - - Lions- - - - - - $3,200,000
Scott Chandler- - - - Bills- - - - - - $2,725,000
Fred Davis- - - - - - Redskins - - - - $2,500,000
Brandon Myers - - - - Giants - - - - - $2,250,000
Dennis Pitta- - - - - Ravens - - - - - $2,023,000
Jeff King - - - - - - Cardinals- - - - $1,850,000
Ed Dickson- - - - - - Ravens - - - - - $1,323,000
Jeff Cumberland - - - Jets - - - - - - $1,323,000
Dallas Clark- - - - - Ravens - - - - - $1,005,000
Ben Hartsock- - - - - Panthers - - - - - $905,000
Alex Smith- - - - - - Bengals- - - - - - $905,000
Bear Pascoe - - - - - Giants - - - - - - $900,000
Kellen Winslow- - - - Jets - - - - - - - $840,000
Dante Rosario - - - - Bears- - - - - - - $780,000
Kellen Davis- - - - - Seahawks - - - - - $715,000
Matthew Mulligan- - - Patriots - - - - - $715,000
Andrew Quarless - - - Packers- - - - - - $703,856
David Johnson - - - - Steelers - - - - - $665,000
Kory Sperry - - - - - Cardinals- - - - - $665,000
Jeron Mastrud - - - - Raiders- - - - - - $630,000
Michael Hoomanawanui- Patriots - - - - - $630,000
Garrett Graham- - - - Texans - - - - - - $592,525
Chase Coffman - - - - Falcons- - - - - - $585,000
Clay Harbor - - - - - Jaguars- - - - - - $584,475
Anthony McCoy - - - - Seahawks - - - - - $511,213
Nate Byham- - - - - - Buccaneers - - - - $510,000
Jim Dray- - - - - - - Cardinals- - - - - $497,250

Wow... he's waaay down the list; would not be surprised to see him try and cash in.

TheIronDuke
03-04-2014, 11:31 AM
All our TE's who walk end up not being used at all by the team who signed them. Well, at least 2 that I can think of.

Troy Chapman
03-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Ouch. Two championship contenders or a team in the midst of rebuilding... I think I'd go with one of the former if the money is even close.

I dunno Garrett Graham loves to play A LOT of golf....half the year up in Green Bay or New England doesn't allow that.

CloakNNNdagger
03-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Graham could fill a role similar to the one Hernandez was in for the Patriots. The Patriots typically like to have two big TEs who can block and run, and one smaller move TE who is a hybrid player.

I don't understand this move. ProFootballFocus gave Graham an overall grade of -9.2. If you count all 126 TEs that had seen action last year, he ranked 120. Among all TEs that had played more than 750 snaps, Garrett was the worst TE in the NFL. Some dropped passes, poor route running, poor pass blocking, poor run blocking, etc. Garrett Graham was an especially abysmal pass blocker.

steelbtexan
03-04-2014, 01:42 PM
I don't understand this move. ProFootballFocus gave Graham an overall grade of -9.2. If you count all 126 TEs that had seen action last year, he ranked 120. Among all TEs that had played more than 750 snaps, Garrett was the worst TE in the NFL. Some dropped passes, poor route running, poor pass blocking, poor run blocking, etc. Garrett Graham was an especially abysmal pass blocker.

Which means Silck Rick is all in on re-signing him.

Playoffs
03-04-2014, 01:50 PM
I don't understand this move. ProFootballFocus gave Graham an overall grade of -9.2...

Majority of those negative ratings are run blocking, followed by pass blocking.

Graham will most like be slotted as a "move" TE in OB's two TE scheme, so his blocking assignments will be significantly different than those of an "in line"/Y TE. Think more H-back responsibilities.

We'll use bigger, stronger, better blocking guys up on the line -- the Y.

There's a new sheriff in town. :cowboy1:

infantrycak
03-04-2014, 01:51 PM

I don't get people that think he and OD are fungible.

steelbtexan
03-04-2014, 02:13 PM

Me either, GG cant carry OD's jock.

I kind of hope they let both of them go and draft AC Leonard with the 5th sup pick and pick up a vet min guy in FA.

Griffin/Leonard/Vet blocking guy would be a major TE upgrade. IMHO

It would also save a lot of cap space. Freeing up $$$$ to spend on a S/nickel CB.

Sigma
03-04-2014, 02:36 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330578/article/houston-texans-hope-to-resign-garrett-graham

We're not convinced Daniels will be retained, and neither is he.

Wow, is it THAT obvious???

BullNation4Life
03-04-2014, 03:12 PM
well I trust what O'Brien is doing with the TE, he is the one that got Gronk and Hernandez.....

I would, however question his judgement in character...

bah007
03-04-2014, 03:39 PM

I loved Graham coming out of Wisconsin but I've just about given up on him at this point. I'd rather let him walk. I think Griffin is a better player.

OD/Griffin/rookie looks good to me.

bah007
03-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Me either, GG cant carry OD's jock.

I kind of hope they let both of them go and draft AC Leonard with the 5th sup pick and pick up a vet min guy in FA.

Griffin/Leonard/Vet blocking guy would be a major TE upgrade. IMHO

It would also save a lot of cap space. Freeing up $$$$ to spend on a S/nickel CB.

Leonard would be an awesome replacement. He could play the "move" TE. Griffin could play the Y. And OD could bounce between the two depending on situation.

infantrycak
03-04-2014, 03:44 PM
I loved Graham coming out of Wisconsin but I've just about given up on him at this point. I'd rather let him walk. I think Griffin is a better player.

OD/Griffin/rookie looks good to me.

Precisely what I would like to see. Then let OD go next year and load another rookie.

bah007
03-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Precisely what I would like to see. Then let OD go next year and load another rookie.

Sign me up.

_King_
03-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Seems a lot of people are using what the patriots did when OB was there as almost a step by step guide of what he'll do here. I guess that's a good indicator, but I wouldn't write anything in stone yet.

As far as signing Graham...Depends on what he's asking for. I think he can be a good player.

I'd rather let OD go since he seems to get injured a lot and he's older.

I don't think either one are what I'd call special, but OD is the better of the two. But I'd still keep graham at a lower price and cut OD.

thunderkyss
03-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Seems a lot of people are using what the patriots did when OB was there as almost a step by step guide of what he'll do here. I guess that's a good indicator, but I wouldn't write anything in stone yet.

As far as signing Graham...Depends on what he's asking for. I think he can be a good player.

I'd rather let OD go since he seems to get injured a lot and he's older.

I don't think either one are what I'd call special, but OD is the better of the two. But I'd still keep graham at a lower price and cut OD.

Pretty much how I feel. There was a time I thought OD was special, or could be special. I'm not going to cut him to save a measley $4M, unless I needed it in a bad way.

I'd make GG an offer to be nice... unlike not even extending an offer to Glover or Mario..... I'd probably insult him with my offer, but that's how I roll.

steelbtexan
03-04-2014, 05:54 PM
well I trust what O'Brien is doing with the TE, he is the one that got Gronk and Hernandez.....

I would, however question his judgement in character...

Since we are not talking about Sunday School talent should trump character. Not having this philosophy is a large contributor to 2-14.

Hopefully this is a big change from the Gary yrs.

infantrycak
03-04-2014, 06:01 PM
What is Graham's character issue?

Lucky
03-04-2014, 07:26 PM
I don't know what everyone else's concern is, but I feel that Daniels hasn't been Daniels for awhile. Maybe that has something to do with the drop in QB play. Coming off a season ending injury at 32 with a hefty cap number, the Texans have to be considering moving on without him.

WolverineFan
03-04-2014, 07:33 PM

You can also go by his 2 years at Penn State. In order by number of receptions...

Year 1
77 - WR
36 - TE
31 - WR
24 - TE
20 - RB
17 - WR
15 - TE
15 - FB
10 - WR

Year 2
97 - WR
28 - WR
25 - TE
18 - WR
18 - TE
15 - TE
15 - RB
13 - WR

infantrycak
03-04-2014, 07:37 PM
I don't know what everyone else's concern is, but I feel that Daniels hasn't been Daniels for awhile. Maybe that has something to do with the drop in QB play. Coming off a season ending injury at 32 with a hefty cap number, the Texans have to be considering moving on without him.

He is not as good as he once was, but it is still better than Graham. I understand the cap concerns. I'm just saying, expect a drop off to Graham and I don't want to be tied to him for long.