PDA

View Full Version : Who would be your #1 choice?

LikeMike
02-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Simple poll: if no trade was available to us and you have to select a player, who would it be?

The Pencil Neck
02-23-2014, 12:21 PM
I'm going to wait until everyone's been tested.

Right now, I'm leaning Watkins.

nero THE zero
02-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Extremely tough decision.

I have no strong conviction, but I think Clowney is simply more of a "sure thing" than the QB's.

I was extremely close to going Watkins, but considering the depth of the WR class in this draft and the state of the Texans WR position compared to other positions I couldn't justify it at 1.01.

Lord Bills
02-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Manziel.

We need a quarterback.
We need a playmaker.
We have trouble scoring.
We need that star power in the qb position (yes plenty of people have complained we dont have a flashy quarterback, always complaining about the lack of texans coverage on national stage)

Johnny Football addresses all those issues in spades.

Glad this was a public poll.

_King_
02-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Bridgewater...

I think he's one of the top players in this draft. I think he's has a chance to be a great qb. This team needs a qb.

So even if I thought that clowney or whoever was a superior prospect (I don't), I'd still go with the qb who I thought could be very good.

TexansSeminole
02-23-2014, 12:56 PM
I'm going to wait until everyone's been tested.

Right now, I'm leaning Watkins.

I'm starting lean that way too, but it just feels wrong considering our need at QB.

Watkins is the only guy that doesn't have any questions marks for me.

Lucky
02-23-2014, 01:06 PM
It would come down to Clowney and the 3 QBs for me. Clowney and Watts would be tremendous on the same defense. But, you must have a QB. I take Bridgewater because he's the best passer of the 3. I don't see any real weakness in his game.

The Pencil Neck
02-23-2014, 01:09 PM
I'm starting lean that way too, but it just feels wrong considering our need at QB.

Exactly.

Robinson is pushing him, though.

Clowney is just so damned risky and I've yet to be convinced by any of the QBs.

Playoffs
02-23-2014, 01:10 PM
http://realitypod.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/killer-clown_1024x768_29256.jpg

jradMIT
02-23-2014, 01:34 PM
When all is said and done, we need a qb, and Bridgewater can come in day 1 and make this team competitive. He is pretty much the consensus NFL ready guy. His game directly translates to the NFL. He excel at the mental aspects of the game on and off the field. Pocket passer with athletic ability to throw on the run with excellent accuracy. He has a great track record and has gotten better each year. I have serious questions about Manziel's abilities translating to the NFL without getting him hurt. Bortles I like but I think he is still a little raw and still needs some progression. In the end Bridgewater has the lowest floor and nearly the same ceiling IMHO of the other three. I am intrigued by Watkins but I am not so sure you can pass on Bridgewater and his consistency, and expect to make up for it with a later pick.

markn
02-23-2014, 01:41 PM
My preference in order is:
1. Bridgewater
2. Manziel
3. Clowney

In fact, I'm comfortable with pretty much all the candidates except Bortles. So I fully expect us to take him. Schaub II.

thunderkyss
02-23-2014, 05:21 PM
I voted Manziel.

It's still too early to say, I'm 99% sure the Texans won't do it. I like Watkins better. I like Robinson, Matthews, Mack, Mosley, Evans, Tuitt, Lewan..... all better than I like Manziel.

He's too small, we've only got 2 years of data, he's way to cavalier with the ball & Mike Evans is one helluva WR.

As far as QBs go... I like Aj McCarron the most. He's got everything I'm looking for in a QB, & any coach worth his salt should be able to build a championship team with him.

But my gut tells me Manziel is going to be special. I don't know if that's, "Lombaries in our future" special, or "It can't be the QB so we'll fix everything else for 7 years." special.

Goldensilence
02-23-2014, 05:39 PM
I went with Bridgewater because I think his game has the least holes in it. He's the best passer of the three, he seems to have it between the ears, and seems to be the kind of QB you would preferably trust with the keys to the franchise of any QB prospect this year.

Clowney reminds me of Mario Williams 2.0. Kid has ALL the tools to dominate the game...when he decides to show.

I will say this one thing about Manziel: I do like his competitive fire. However, I have serious concerns about his coachability, his commitment to the position, focus, and how well his game will translate to the NFL.

Bortles, physically he looks the part, but does he have the arm and how raw is he?

Posted in another thread, an AJ, Hopkins, and Watkins trio at WR would terrorize defenses, but....who throws them the ball?

Texn4life
02-23-2014, 05:44 PM
I voted Manziel, but I'd be happy with Bridgewater too. Can't believe I'm saying this because I've been killing the guy, but I wouldn't break my phone if we drafted Bortles either. I'm still not 100% sold, but he does have a lot of tools to work with. I trust O'Brien to pick the right guy he feels like can operate this offense effectively.

AngryNateFTW
02-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Voted Mack but had a hard time between Matthews, Watkins, and Robinson.

Really like Manziel, and Bridgewater but something is keeping me from taking either one.

If you had asked who probably WILL be the #1, sadly, i'm saying Bortles.

Number19
02-23-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm voting Manziel, for several reasons either not mentioned previously, or not widely discussed.

1) Manziel will bring excitement to the Texans games. For many here on the forum, talk is about "franchise" QB who can take us to the Super Bowl. For me, it is as much about, if not more so, making the team an exciting team to watch, win or lose, but always competitive.

2) OB has said he is about taking the talent available and molding a team around that talent. Combined with #1 above, I'm hoping OB can take the innate talent that Manziel has and build a team around his strengths. Remember that Manziel is only a two year college player and is still developing his skills and his potential. Manziel was not asked to develop a pro style of play at A&M, but has the burning desire and drive to excel. He will take to OB's coaching like a fish to water. The results will be exciting to watch.

And, finally, 3) I think Keenum will make the team and will be coached up by OB. Manziel and Keenum are similar in temperament and in style of play. The two will complement each other and if need be, Case will be capable of coming in without the offense missing a beat.

The Pencil Neck
02-23-2014, 06:16 PM
Posted in another thread, an AJ, Hopkins, and Watkins trio at WR would terrorize defenses, but....who throws them the ball?

McCarron, Mettenberger, Garoppolo, Thomas... Keenum...

TexansSeminole
02-23-2014, 06:20 PM

So true. I can't give my opinion on this right now, it's damned difficult.

The Pencil Neck
02-23-2014, 06:27 PM
I went ahead and voted for Watkins even though I'd have preferred to see the LBs before I made my final choice.

But it was tough between Watkins and Robinson. I finally went Watkins because I think he's going to be the best player coming out of this draft. I think he's got a lot less risk than anyone. Even though it's not a position of need, Watkins is a sure-fire replacement for AJ when he retires.

Normally, I'd go with Robinson because I believe in building up the trenches and having a line of Brown - Quess - Myers - Brooks - Robinson would be a pretty awesome line.

If Bridgewater slips like Aaron Rodgers did, I wouldn't mind trading back up into the first to nab him. Other than that, we'll have to look for our QB later and hope that TKyss is right about there not being a difference in the first 5-7 QBs in this draft.

steelbtexan
02-23-2014, 06:34 PM
I want to see the rest of the combine/pro days.

As of right now, Clowney/Robinson.

Honoring Earl 34
02-23-2014, 06:35 PM
I voted Robinson because I think with Watkins , they have the best chance of being the best players in this draft 10 years from now .

I also think that the Texans need to dominate in one area of the game and with Brown , Myers and Brooks ( coming along ) and then adding Robinson , the Texans have a chance to be really dominating on the OL . Besides Robinson would take over LT in a couple of years .

The QB situation has none of them separating themselves from the pack and if they did , they wouldn't be better than the above players .

steelbtexan
02-23-2014, 06:46 PM
I went ahead and voted for Watkins even though I'd have preferred to see the LBs before I made my final choice.

But it was tough between Watkins and Robinson. I finally went Watkins because I think he's going to be the best player coming out of this draft. I think he's got a lot less risk than anyone. Even though it's not a position of need, Watkins is a sure-fire replacement for AJ when he retires.

Normally, I'd go with Robinson because I believe in building up the trenches and having a line of Brown - Quess - Myers - Brooks - Robinson would be a pretty awesome line.

If Bridgewater slips like Aaron Rodgers did, I wouldn't mind trading back up into the first to nab him. Other than that, we'll have to look for our QB later and hope that TKyss is right about there not being a difference in the first 5-7 QBs in this draft.

Who else wishes that the Texans would've drafted Alonzo/Williams/Cyprien etc.... instead of Hopkins and taken Rodgers/Stills etc later in the draft? If they had Watkins would be in play.

If feel the same way about picking the QB's this yr.

steelbtexan
02-23-2014, 06:50 PM
I voted Robinson because I think with Watkins , they have the best chance of being the best players in this draft 10 years from now .

I also think that the Texans need to dominate in one area of the game and with Brown , Myers and Brooks ( coming along ) and then adding Robinson , the Texans have a chance to be really dominating on the OL . Besides Robinson would take over LT in a couple of years .

The QB situation has none of them separating themselves from the pack and if they did , they wouldn't be better than the above players .

^^^^
This

But I also cant get past pairing Clowney with Watt.

Goldensilence
02-23-2014, 06:56 PM
McCarron, Mettenberger, Garoppolo, Thomas... Keenum...

I guess it comes down to how far you feel the gap is between Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel is. Also how do you really feel about any of those being the guy you hand the keys to the offense and franchise to?

Myself? Maybe McCarron...and that is a BIG maybe to me. I'm just not sure from day one even he's ready to take the reins. I'd feel more comfortable with that scenario if I thought Schaub was someone who could stick around for one more year and ease any of those QBs in. I think the way his contract is set up and how bad he was last year it's slamdunk he becomes a June cut.

The next option then becomes, is there a stop gap QB on our roster currently (Keenum or Yates) or FA that you can ink to a short term deal while you develop a QB? I don't see either Yates or Keenum as that guy. Freeman, Cassel, McCown, Flynn maybe out there? Hope that next year's crop is worth moving up for or that the team struggles and lands in a good position to make a high pick again?

The final option becomes acquire a QB via a trade. How much does Philly value Foles? They also have Barkley on the roster whom they took on a flyer in the fifth. New England has Mallet. I am sure there are others, the question becomes trade price and how much do you spend on a contract to put them in place long term if you do believe they are a long term solution?

If it's me take your pick between the top prospects this year and move forward with them. For every Kaep and Russell Wilson there's Trent Edwards, John Beck, and Colt McCoys that people try to pick up later in hopes that they can coach them up or overlook glaring weakness because they won't cost a top pick. I think it's a cheap way out that doesn't work as often as people would hope it would.

aussie_texan
02-23-2014, 06:58 PM
i voted teddy but its still very very close between 5 players for me

Honoring Earl 34
02-23-2014, 07:17 PM
^^^^
This

But I also cant get past pairing Clowney with Watt.

This is my latest on the draft simulator .

OT GREG ROBINSON
AUBURN
DT RA’SHEDE HAGEMAN
MINNESOTA
ILB CHRIS BORLAND
WISCONSIN
QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO
EASTERN ILLINOIS
RB BISHOP SANKEY
WASHINGTON
WR JEFF JANIS
SAGINAW VALLEY STATE
RB TYLER GAFFNEY
STANFORD

kiwitexansfan
02-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Teddy.
Robinson.
Mack.
Bortles.
Clowney.

thunderkyss
02-23-2014, 07:26 PM

I really like this way of thinking. If we had a franchise QB, we could get away with less on the OL. If we had an elite OL, we could get away with less at the QB position.

We're much closer to having an elite OL than we are to having a franchise QB.

I "know" it's the right thing to do...

Honoring Earl 34
02-23-2014, 07:54 PM
I really like this way of thinking. If we had a franchise QB, we could get away with less on the OL. If we had an elite OL, we could get away with less at the QB position.

We're much closer to having an elite OL than we are to having a franchise QB.

I "know" it's the right thing to do...

I think the Texans need to get more athletic real quick . A 6'5 332 lb man that can break a 5 flat 40 is scarce . The Texans would have two of them on the right side of the OL .

steelbtexan
02-23-2014, 08:09 PM
I think the Texans need to get more athletic real quick . A 6'5 332 lb man that can break a 5 flat 40 is scarce . The Texans would have two of them on the right side of the OL .

Yep,

3rd and short/goal line offense shouldn't be a problem anymore.

The Pencil Neck
02-23-2014, 08:16 PM
This is my latest on the draft simulator .

OT GREG ROBINSON
AUBURN
DT RA’SHEDE HAGEMAN
MINNESOTA
ILB CHRIS BORLAND
WISCONSIN
QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO
EASTERN ILLINOIS
RB BISHOP SANKEY
WASHINGTON
WR JEFF JANIS
SAGINAW VALLEY STATE
RB TYLER GAFFNEY
STANFORD

I would sign off on this.

The Pencil Neck
02-23-2014, 08:26 PM
I guess it comes down to how far you feel the gap is between Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel is. Also how do you really feel about any of those being the guy you hand the keys to the offense and franchise to?

This has been tough for me. We need a QB and we need a QB really, really bad.

But... none of these guys make me excited. None of the guys in this draft have made me really excited. If we draft one of them, I'll be OK with it but part of me is going to be very, very worried. I also don't like any of the guys AFTER the top tier guys.

I don't like any of the free agents out there, either. I don't think that means you just roll the dice with the best of the worst, though.

So we chose a bad year to suck.

That's why I'd choose to take the best player available. To me, that's Watkins. (Or Robinson.)

As to our QB situation, we'll just have to rub some dirt in it and walk it off. Literally. Take a flyer on someone who has a shot in the draft, pick up one of those crappy FA vets, and then throw them all into the mix with Keenum and Yates and see who emerges. If no one does, we'll be looking at the QB class next year and hoping it pans out better than this one did for us.

Honoring Earl 34
02-23-2014, 08:38 PM

But... none of these guys make me excited. None of the guys in this draft have made me really excited. If we draft one of them, I'll be OK with it but part of me is going to be very, very worried. I also don't like any of the guys AFTER the top tier guys.

I don't like any of the free agents out there, either. I don't think that means you just roll the dice with the best of the worst, though.

That's why I'd choose to take the best player available. To me, that's Watkins. (Or Robinson.)

As to our QB situation, we'll just have to rub some dirt in it and walk it off. Literally. Take a flyer on someone who has a shot in the draft, pick up one of those crappy FA vets, and then throw them all into the mix with Keenum and Yates and see who emerges. If no one does, we'll be looking at the QB class next year and hoping it pans out better than this one did for us.

The Texans have some good players that need help . Gone are the expensive that don't fit , the oft injured , the slow , and the legacies .

BigBull
02-23-2014, 09:04 PM
I vote for Bridgewater, because I still believe he is the best player available not just qb. I've always found it funny how the combine numbers make people fall in love with a player. I for one tend to go with what I see on the football field.

Honoring Earl 34
02-23-2014, 09:07 PM
I vote for Bridgewater, because I still believe he is the best player available not just qb. I've always found it funny how the combine numbers make people fall in love with a player. I for one tend to go with what I see on the football field.

I don't believe he's going to be the best pro and that's what you're trying to accomplish .

Showtime100
02-23-2014, 09:30 PM
I picked Bridgewater because I think he's the best QB available. I was shocked that the majority agreed.....lol.

Goldensilence
02-23-2014, 09:37 PM

If the Texans did go that route and where in this mindset then hands down Robinson or Watkins. I just keep thinking even with a mediocre vet... Trotting out AH, Hopkins, and Watkins! I mean chose your poison outside or in the slot. Almost guaranteed a mismatch at one spot every down.

Honestly, if I had to make a guess? Two man race between Bortles and Bridgewater.

The Pencil Neck
02-23-2014, 09:44 PM
If the Texans did go that route and where in this mindset then hands down Robinson or Watkins. I just keep thinking even with a mediocre vet... Trotting out AH, Hopkins, and Watkins! I mean chose your poison outside or in the slot. Almost guaranteed a mismatch at one spot every down.

Honestly, if I had to make a guess? Two man race between Bortles and Bridgewater.

Ah, but the question isn't what the Texans will do, it's what YOU would do if you were in a spot to make that choice.

ObsiWan
02-23-2014, 09:48 PM
I voted Matthews but could have just as easily gone with Robinson.

If you ask me tomorrow I could just as easily go Clowney then Van Noy at #2.

Be it offensively or defensively, build solid foundations in the trenches.

We've all seen what happens when you fail to do so.

Mr teX
02-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Bridgewater........Robinson.........Clowney.....in that order.

Whats funny is Aaron Rodgers is the guy TB is most frequently compared to for a number of reasons...among those reasons is him not overly "wowing" NFL scouts with anything. As it stands right now TB's getting the exact same treatment Rodgers got when he was drafted. It's all Manziel or Bortles....all is quiet on TB from scouts. There's either a tremendous amount of disinformation going on about him....or teams really arent impressed with him.

So in my mind, im preparing for the texans to pass on him.......and regret it.

thunderkyss
02-23-2014, 10:21 PM

Whats funny is Aaron Rodgers is the guy TB is most frequently compared to for a number of reasons...among those reasons is him not overly "wowing" NFL scouts with anything. As it stands right now TB's getting the exact same treatment Rodgers got when he was drafted. It's all Manziel or Bortles....all is quiet on TB from scouts. There's either a tremendous amount of disinformation going on about him....or teams really arent impressed with him.

Do you think Aaron Rodgers would have been ready to start day 1?

DX-TEX
02-23-2014, 10:23 PM
I voted Bortles because I didn't want Texian to feel alone.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
02-23-2014, 10:24 PM
I'm compelled to say Watkins

Your man... Pots and pans

Hervoyel
02-23-2014, 10:31 PM

You know, I'm not going to say I'm for Bortles yet but I'm actually starting to think it's not complete madness either.

Goldensilence
02-23-2014, 11:05 PM

I remember differently, Rodgers did recurve fair amount of hype because of his arm strength was it him who they had throwing on,his knees like 70 yards? Dude, has a cannon. If had to pick a comparison: Matt Ryan.

I don't think so, which is why he dropped, that and questions about him being a system qb.

For the record on poll I chose TB and barring Bottles just blowing it out of the water at his pro day, I feel confident that's who the FO will take.

infantrycak
02-23-2014, 11:07 PM
I remember differently, Rodgers did recurve fair amount of hype because of his arm strength was it him who they had throwing on,his knees like 70 yards? Dude, has a cannon.

That was Jay Cutler and Rex Grossman may have done it also.

jradMIT
02-23-2014, 11:14 PM

Rodgers was suppose to be a system guy who would need some time to adjust to NFL offenses.

matts290
02-23-2014, 11:16 PM

And Jamarcus!

Mr teX
02-23-2014, 11:27 PM

Probably not...but prospects who are ready to start from day 1 are few and far in between....hence Manning...Luck and RG3...And even these guys had their struggles. But as good as i feel about TB as a franchise guy, i still expect him to struggle mightily as a rookie starting qb. It's just the nature of the beast.

Where i differ with the TB haters is that i feel his work ethic, poise and general mentality about eating, sleeping and breathing the game will put him over the top and make him the best pro of all the qb prospects after his rookie year and going forward. But even saying that, it's not like his physical attributes are severely lacking compared to the other guys..

Lucky
02-23-2014, 11:29 PM

Kyle Boller.

Wolf6151
02-23-2014, 11:32 PM
Teddy Bridgewater. Easily the best QB in this draft.

mussop
02-23-2014, 11:33 PM
I just can't make my mind up. Watkins and Robinson have been in the running for me for a while. Throw Mack in there as well. I want all of them.

ObsiWan
02-23-2014, 11:52 PM
I just can't make my mind up. Watkins and Robinson have been in the running for me for a while. Throw Mack in there as well. I want all of them.
You're just being greedy.
In this case, I like it
:fingergun:

Scooter
02-23-2014, 11:57 PM
i voted matthews for two reasons. first, it's all about the trenches IMO. a great line changes the world, especially in the playoffs almost regardless of the pieces around it. second, i see matthews as a lifetime player more than than any other option. he doesnt have the super high ceiling as several others, but he does have the qualities that will make a really good pro. bottom line, if i had to choose 1 guy who will be here 5 or 10 or even 15 years from now and at a key position, it would be matthews.

TexansSeminole
02-24-2014, 01:09 AM

Like others, it's down to Watkins, Robinson, Bridgewater, and maybe even Bortles for me. Draft day is going to be a temple-rubbing day for me.

The Pencil Neck
02-24-2014, 01:15 AM

Kyle Boller is the guy I remember doing that.

The Pencil Neck
02-24-2014, 01:18 AM
You know, I'm not going to say I'm for Bortles yet but I'm actually starting to think it's not complete madness either.

Bortles is the most intriguing of the QBs to me.

I expect us to go Bridgewater, although that could be more media hype than actual team hype.

beerlover
02-24-2014, 01:24 AM
y'all going to need help to get through this one I can see it now :ahhaha:
I want to see Clowney doing his thing as well as Mack tomorrow a lot will be riding on how well they respond on a big stage. So far Robinson is leading the faster Watkins by the sand in his pants.

eriadoc
02-24-2014, 01:31 AM
I go BPA, not need. One player from this list is the best, but he plays the "wrong" position to go #1 overall.

Corrosion
02-24-2014, 05:17 AM
Today .... Manziel. Ask me again tomorrow I'm liable to say Bridgewater.

Those two are very close and Bortles isn't very far from them.

I think I'd trade down to #4 with Cleveland pending I got #26 and either their 2nd or 3rd , take the top QB remaining at #4 and the best OT / CB.

If Bortles , Bridgewater and Manziel go 1-2-3 after that trade down .... I'll just take Greg Robinson or Sammy Watkins and look to get A.J. McCarron later.

Marshall
02-24-2014, 05:21 AM

I think I'd trade down to #4 with Cleveland pending I got #26 and either their 2nd or 3rd , take the top QB remaining at #4 and the best OT / CB.

If Bortles , Bridgewater and Manziel go 1-2-3 after that trade down .... I'll just take Greg Robinson or Sammy Watkins and look to get A.J. McCarron later.

I'd really look at Carr if he falls to the second round. I know there is a bad taste left in the palate of many after his brother, but he is not his brother, who really wasn't that bad initially.

Corrosion
02-24-2014, 05:34 AM
I'd really look at Carr if he falls to the second round. I know there is a bad taste left in the palate of many after his brother, but he is not his brother, who really wasn't that bad initially.

I wouldn't touch HHWNBM V2.0.

He struggles against pressure more than any of the top half of the draft QB's and in the NFL , you are going to be pressured.

Bortles , Bridgewater , Garoppolo , Manziel , McCarron and Mettenberger I'd consider in rounds one thru three.

Sigma
02-24-2014, 06:06 AM

I didn't realize there was so little love for bortles around here....
I voted him because I am biased vs the other two QBs

I'm not an expert, so my opinion doesn't count, but I have this strange feeling manziel could be another tebow, and bridgewater another of those "NFL ready QBs" that flops big in the League.

At least noone is overrating bortles (unless he is complete garbage).

anyways I would be ok with the texans picking any of those 3 QBs
I will look at any of them closely hoping he turns out to be the best out of the QBs crop

jradMIT
02-24-2014, 09:59 AM

Not a bad plan if you have the 3 qb's nearly the same. It would put STL in a good position to trade back and let some other team jump into it at 3. But if you really like the other guys a lot, Matthews, Watkins, Clowney, Robinson, Barr etc. Its not a bad plan if you get the two extra picks. Its really hard for me to see Watkins fall past STL though.

VTexan
02-24-2014, 10:25 AM
in a league where QB is king, i select with the 1st overall, clowney. because the prospect of watt + clowney disrupting the oppositions QBs could give us the best defense in the league.

that being said, we do need to find some QB to be at least average for this year.

The1ApplePie
02-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Bridgewater I guess, you he seems to be coming more and more average.

Johnny Football is intriguing, but too damn small.

Bortles? Maybe the next Jay Cutler, maybe the next Gabbert.

I see these 3 as the only viable options. Not a fan of McCarron outside of round 3

htownfan32
02-24-2014, 02:10 PM
I didn't realize there was so little love for bortles around here....
I voted him because I am biased vs the other two QBs

I'm not an expert, so my opinion doesn't count, but I have this strange feeling manziel could be another tebow, and bridgewater another of those "NFL ready QBs" that flops big in the League.

At least noone is overrating bortles (unless he is complete garbage).

anyways I would be ok with the texans picking any of those 3 QBs
I will look at any of them closely hoping he turns out to be the best out of the QBs crop

To the contrary, I think Bortles is where he is because the media has pushed him up to be with all the talk of "Bortles could go #1" or "Texans looking at Bortles & Manziel" etc. Bortles reminds me of a less polished Ryan Tannehill.

mussop
02-24-2014, 02:15 PM
To the contrary, I think Bortles is where he is because the media has pushed him up to be with all the talk of "Bortles could go #1" or "Texans looking at Bortles & Manziel" etc. Bortles reminds me of a less polished Ryan Tannehill.

Actually that is a pretty good description.

bah007
02-24-2014, 02:17 PM

Jake Locker?

htownfan32
02-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Jake Locker?

Actually, yes. I'm not saying Bortles is bad... but at 1-1? No way. Maybe 1-10 or 1-15. Really belongs in the 10-20 range.

WolverineFan
02-24-2014, 02:18 PM
I've compared him to both Tannehill and Locker whereas most people seem to compare him to Roethlisberger and Luck.

htownfan32
02-24-2014, 02:19 PM
I've compared him to both Tannehill and Locker whereas most people seem to compare him to Roethlisberger and Luck.

I think people get hung up on Roethlisberger because of the body type. Luck was far far more advanced as a passer out of college, though.

bah007
02-24-2014, 02:21 PM

Look at the the talent gap between those comparisons and it's pretty easy to figure out who is comparing him to Big Ben and Luck...

I like Bortles. Hell, I liked Locker. But this is a guy who needs two years minimum on the bench. Do you use the #1 pick on that?

WolverineFan
02-24-2014, 02:22 PM
I think people get hung up on Roethlisberger because of the body type. Luck was far far more advanced as a passer out of college, though.

I fully agree. He has Tannehill-like raw physical tools, but plays a lot like Locker. If you look at the stats, he has much better college stats then Locker did, but when I watch him play that's who I think of.

TexansSeminole
02-24-2014, 02:27 PM
I keep telling myself that I need to watch more of Mack, but I have yet to get around to it. He had a good day today and some of his highlights against OSU were impressive.

htownfan32
02-24-2014, 02:28 PM
I keep telling myself that I need to watch more of Mack, but I have yet to get around to it. He had a good day today and some of his highlights against OSU were impressive.

Reminds me a bit of Von Miller, just without the level of competition. Dude tore it up vs. tOSU though, so that's gotta count for something.

Marshall
02-24-2014, 02:28 PM
I changed my mind. Now I'd like Robinson.

WolverineFan
02-24-2014, 02:36 PM

I think he's getting a little bit more press right now than he should, but I do think he's the best LB this year. As Barr moves down the board, Mack will move up because teams covet pass rushers.

I refer to him as the Bridgewater of the LB group. I wouldn't say he's elite in any area, but is good across the board and ready to come in and play now. If he played at a bigger school there would be few questions about him.

Playoffs
02-24-2014, 02:53 PM
I keep telling myself that I need to watch more of Mack...tldr, watch Baylor and OSU games. Frames the conversation, imo.

Honoring Earl 34
02-24-2014, 04:40 PM
tldr, watch Baylor and OSU games. Frames the conversation, imo.

IMO ... that was Buffalo's Super Bowl and maybe OSU showed up asleep . I wonder if that was in the 1st or 2nd half .

bah007
02-24-2014, 08:24 PM
IMO ... that was Buffalo's Super Bowl and maybe OSU showed up asleep . I wonder if that was in the 1st or 2nd half .

OSU actually got up by three scores early and then Buffalo charged back behind some big plays by Mack.

Buffalo was just so outmatched at every other position that they had no shot. Hyde was suspended for that game so his backup filled in and ran really well. Ohio St obviously schemed to play away from Mack but he still made tons of plays.

Would have loved to see him on a team with some talent surrounding him.

Texn4life
02-24-2014, 08:34 PM
I'm as confused now as I was going into the combine........ My head's all tied up like a pretzel! I got a pretzel in my head!

Allstar
02-24-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm as confused now as I was going into the combine........ My head's all tied up like a pretzel! I got a pretzel in my head!

http://static.tumblr.com/wnh56xm/oQBlp4aw9/tumblr_lp44ysivmg1qmhbgeo1_250.gif

Corrosion
02-24-2014, 08:55 PM

Well , the two guy's Im most interested in skipped parts of the process.

I do find it funny that some around here stated that Manziel is off their list for deciding not to throw .... but haven't made the same statements after Bridgewater did the same as well as skipped .... everything but the 40.

Texn4life
02-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Well , the two guy's Im most interested in skipped parts of the process.

I do find it funny that some around here stated that Manziel is off their list for deciding not to throw .... but haven't made the same statements after Bridgewater did the same as well as skipped .... everything but the 40.

I would have liked to see everyone compete, but its still so early in the process. The problem is that none of these guys has really separated themselves from the pack and likely won't before the draft.

Corrosion
02-24-2014, 11:17 PM
I would have liked to see everyone compete, but its still so early in the process. The problem is that none of these guys has really separated themselves from the pack and likely won't before the draft.

I used those exact words a couple months ago .... they still hold true.

Im to the point where I'd trade back a few spots for a kings ransom to one of these teams that falls in love with that :clown:'s 40 time and take an OT with the first rounder , then pick up one of the second tier of QB's in Garoppolo , Mettenberger or McCarron (In order of preference) and still have a pick or two to spend elsewhere.

Say we trade with Cleveland for 4 , 26 , 35 & 71.

#4 - Robinson or Zack Martin
#26 - C.J. Mosley
#33 - David Yankey
#35 - Garoppolo
#65 - Stanley Jean-Baptiste (CB Nebraska)
#71 - C.J. Fiedorowicz

That fixes a whole lot of problems in a hurry.

mussop
02-25-2014, 12:19 AM
I'm starting To lean towards Robinson. And this after I argued with Badboy that you don't take a RT with number one.

aussie_texan
02-25-2014, 01:07 AM

Im to the point where I'd trade back a few spots for a kings ransom to one of these teams that falls in love with that :clown:'s 40 time and take an OT with the first rounder , then pick up one of the second tier of QB's in Garoppolo , Mettenberger or McCarron (In order of preference) and still have a pick or two to spend elsewhere.

^^^ this

a month or so ago i was hoping by this time i would have a pretty concrete opinion on my number 1. unfortunately I'm still not there yet and I'm not sure if ill get there by the time the draft comes around.

Ideal scenario is trading down

beerlover
02-25-2014, 01:29 AM
I'm starting To lean towards Robinson. And this after I argued with Badboy that you don't take a RT with number one.

word of advise, never argue with BB he will beat you down :club:

beerlover
02-25-2014, 01:48 AM
I'm pulling for everyone really but man crush has to go to big Greg Robinson. Love his passion, feel for the game, upside, work ethic, intelligence, movement skills per position, fills huge roster void, bpa, road grader, mauler, size & strength elite for position, tandem with Brooks awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5EGl-iz4_s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqn4CS-AmAs

Corrosion
02-25-2014, 02:00 AM

Remember when I got crucified way early in the process when discussing Matthews @ #1 for the same reasons ?!

Take a look at my post just a few above this one .... :whistles:

Im to the point where I'd trade back a few spots for a kings ransom to one of these teams that falls in love with Clowney's 40 time and take an OT with the first rounder

I just haven't been able to find any separation between Bridgewater & Manziel while both have significant bust possibilities that make them a huge risk @ #1 and by the numbers , they aren't that far ahead of the second tier

I'm right back where I started ..... :smiliepalm:

ObsiWan
02-25-2014, 03:06 AM

yeeessss... join us....

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC9IMNMn4ZjPdMlB_IuViBqD0Ud97UQ _Gd-LManL4cZ9siP9Dc2g

We must fix the trenches
Search your feelings, you KNOW it to be true

thunderkyss
02-25-2014, 06:56 AM

Im to the point where I'd trade back a few spots for a kings ransom....

I'm starting to wonder if there is a player in this draft worth a king's ransom. If there isn't, what's plan B?

thunderkyss
02-25-2014, 06:58 AM

Just because we might start him at RT doesn't make him a RT. Just 4 years ago we were talking about the Badass that is Brian Cushing & how we wanted him to be a Texan forever. Then last year we're discussing what a mistake it was to extend his contract.

NFL... right?

mussop
02-25-2014, 08:08 AM
yeeessss... join us....

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC9IMNMn4ZjPdMlB_IuViBqD0Ud97UQ _Gd-LManL4cZ9siP9Dc2g

We must fix the trenches
Search your feelings, you KNOW it to be true

:thinking: What kind of cookies????

mussop
02-25-2014, 09:34 AM
Just because we might start him at RT doesn't make him a RT. Just 4 years ago we were talking about the Badass that is Brian Cushing & how we wanted him to be a Texan forever. Then last year we're discussing what a mistake it was to extend his contract.

NFL... right?

There are several points that make it easier to swallow drafting a OT. New wage scale, need, his potential, longevity of position, importance of position, the fact that Brown had his worst year since his rookie season last year and the fCt that he is at worst tied for being the best prospect in this draft.

And yes IMO he starts immediately at RT and is Browns future replacement.

HOU-TEX
02-25-2014, 09:49 AM
I must admit, after watching and listening to more of Clowney I'm becoming less impressed.

Having said that, I'd still take him, Watkins or one of the two T's over any of the QBs. I think Mack is even moving up closer to the group.

I'd be ok with grabbing any QB O'Brien likes at 2.1. Just no QBs at 1.1 please.

thunderkyss
02-25-2014, 09:50 AM
And yes IMO he starts immediately at RT and is Browns future replacement.

I don't doubt that. But if they have a true competition, depending on what ever our new offensive "system" without a system is... who's to say Brown's the best fit at LT?

I'm a Duane Brown fan, don't get me wrong. But I know there are better LTs in the league (may not be many) & there will be better LTs enter the league every year... at least OTs with the ability to be better.

I agree with everyone else, if we're drafting a guy with a ceiling of RT, we shouldn't take him with the #1 overall pick. But if this guy has potential to be a LT, a franchise LT... yeah, you take him.

Granted, if there were a franchise QB there I'd take him instead. But next to QB, a franchise LT will make this team better than any other position available.. jmo of course.

beerlover
02-25-2014, 10:01 AM
the key word in this title thread is "your" #1 choice, not necessarily what Texans, Rick Smith or Bill O'Brian will do. rest assured, they will not select Robinson #1 overall. if Rick Smith is unable to work a trade down, he needs to be fired, real talk. If Texans are unable to trade down just watch St. Louis turn that pick into another extra first & still grab Matthews.... Texans need a QB, just don't see maximum value taking Bridgewater (my top QB choice) #1 overall. :bubbles:

Playoffs
02-25-2014, 10:10 AM
if Rick Smith is unable to work a trade down, he needs to be fired, real talk. If Texans are unable to trade down just watch St. Louis turn that pick into another extra first & still grab Matthews...

Yeah, I'd just take the stance of getting the same compensation as a team would give for the #2 if I can't get a bidding war.

mussop
02-25-2014, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I'd just take the stance of getting the same compensation as a team would give for the #2 if I can't get a bidding war.

The price depends on how far down we are willing to move. Where does the elite talent drop off at?

LikeMike
02-25-2014, 12:13 PM
The price depends on how far down we are willing to move. Where does the elite talent drop off at?

Since all of the 8 players listed here received votes (with Mack only getting 1 vote, but also seeming to be Mayocks favorite), I guess you could say 8 - maybe you could even include players like Barr.

I like trading down for the right offer, but I am still a believer in Bridgewater and I would be very intrigued with Manziel. Overall I would only trade down, if we don`t believe in either QB. I donŽt think any other player is worth keeping the pick (instead of a great offer) since we have great depth this season.

And I don`t really like Clowney. Sure, he is a physical freak and maybe a generational talent. But with the way he handles himself and never really giving 100%, I don`t like that. He can get by on his talent alone - and he will be able to get by on talent alone with the pros. But he will never be dominating if he doesn`t drastically change his work ethic and on the field energy. I don`t like to take that chance.

So trade the first pick for a great offer, if you don`t believe in either QB. If you do, I don`t care what the offer is, you take the QB. Right now IŽd say: take Bridgewater.

jradMIT
02-25-2014, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=LikeMike;2304384]Since all of the 8 players listed here received votes (with Mack only getting 1 vote, but also seeming to be Mayocks favorite), I guess you could say 8 - maybe you could even include players like Barr.

I like trading down for the right offer, but I am still a believer in Bridgewater and I would be very intrigued with Manziel. Overall I would only trade down, if we don`t believe in either QB. I donŽt think any other player is worth keeping the pick (instead of a great offer) since we have great depth this season.

And I don`t really like Clowney. Sure, he is a physical freak and maybe a generational talent. But with the way he handles himself and never really giving 100%, I don`t like that. He can get by on his talent alone - and he will be able to get by on talent alone with the pros. But he will never be dominating if he doesn`t drastically change his work ethic and on the field energy. I don`t like to take that chance.

So trade the first pick for a great offer, if you don`t believe in either QB. If you do, I don`t care what the offer is, you take the QB. Right now IŽd say: take Bridgewater.[/QUOTE

Clowney will be a perennial double digit sack artist who never lives up to the expectations. Good but not great.

klockWork
02-25-2014, 12:48 PM
The lack of quality from this year crops of QBs makes it easy for me to choose Clowney @#1.

Ole Miss Texan
02-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Since all of the 8 players listed here received votes (with Mack only getting 1 vote, but also seeming to be Mayocks favorite), I guess you could say 8 - maybe you could even include players like Barr.

So trade the first pick for a great offer, if you don`t believe in either QB. If you do, I don`t care what the offer is, you take the QB. Right now IŽd say: take Bridgewater.
I had to double check who wrote this as it's verbatim how I feel! If OB see a QB he must have then I'm great taking him at 1.1. Outside of that I really want to trade down (like with CLE) and stockpile draft picks. Would take best available at #4 whether that's Robinson or Mack or hell even Clowney. Really want to be able to pick up another pick this draft and a 2015 1st with a trade down.

If we MUST stay at 1.1 I still like Bridgewater. But my mind is open and I look forward to seeing how this all plays out

mussop
02-25-2014, 06:00 PM
I had to double check who wrote this as it's verbatim how I feel! If OB see a QB he must have then I'm great taking him at 1.1. Outside of that I really want to trade down (like with CLE) and stockpile draft picks. Would take best available at #4 whether that's Robinson or Mack or hell even Clowney. Really want to be able to pick up another pick this draft and a 2015 1st with a trade down.

If we MUST stay at 1.1 I still like Bridgewater. But my mind is open and I look forward to seeing how this all plays out

I've said from the start that there is good qualities in all three of theses guys. If we pick one of them I'll be fine with the choice. If Obrian takes one it's going to be because he believes that particular player fits his system the best. If he takes Clowney I'll be fine with that too. Hell I'm cool with Watkins or Robinson. I can justify any of those picks.

IMO all these guys should be difference makers. I think it's silly to lock onto one of them and dog the rest. I'm happy as hell we are going to get one of them.

yep pretty much how i have felt for awhile.

htowntexans1985
02-25-2014, 07:43 PM
No sure thing at the QB position this year. So I voted clowney. Take mccarron 2.1 Look for a vet around the league to push a.j.

Corrosion
02-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Clowney will be a perennial double digit sack artist who never lives up to the expectations. Good but not great.

That's why he had 3.5 sacks last season against college competition !? So much for perennial .....

No sure thing at the QB position this year. So I voted clowney. Take mccarron 2.1 Look for a vet around the league to push a.j.

I fell off the McCarron wagon after watching him throw the other day .... Give me Garoppolo @ 2:1.

htowntexans1985
02-25-2014, 07:56 PM
fell off the McCarron wagon after watching him throw the other day .... Give me Garoppolo @ 2:1.

Fair enough. I'll admit I havent watched much of Garoppolo

steelbtexan
02-25-2014, 08:36 PM
I want a trade down and pick Robinson (Who I voted for) or Clowney at 4. In the trade I want Cleveland's 2nd and a 2015 1st.

Garappolo or Murray would be my QB pick.

TexansFTW
02-26-2014, 06:24 PM

No ?'s on height? Only 6'1"?

If you're a short WR in the league you generally need a special QB to succeed. If you're being drafted in the top 5 you generally don't have a special QB.

ObsiWan
02-26-2014, 07:00 PM
:thinking: What kind of cookies????

Why DARK Chocolate of course....

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sw022.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

eriadoc
02-27-2014, 08:11 AM
No ?'s on height? Only 6'1"?

If you're a short WR in the league you generally need a special QB to succeed. If you're being drafted in the top 5 you generally don't have a special QB.

How is 6'1" a short WR? Jeez ...

jradMIT
02-27-2014, 09:18 AM
In ten years 6 1 will be short for a corner.

infantrycak
02-27-2014, 09:25 AM
In ten years 6 1 will be short for a corner.

Folks were saying that ten years ago.

Dutchrudder
02-27-2014, 09:31 AM
I'm still on the Bridgewater bandwagon, but I agree with some folks that there isn't a true clear #1 prospect in this draft. However, sometimes you gotta take a chance and get a guy who will develop into someone worthy of the #1 overall pick. There is no Andrew Luck, unfortunately, so we will have to take the guy who is most likely to become that franchise QB. I think it will be Teddy.

jradMIT
02-27-2014, 10:05 AM
Folks were saying that ten years ago.

They were just ahead of their time.

infantrycak
02-27-2014, 10:17 AM
They were just ahead of their time.

Well, I guess you'll have that consolation 10 years from now. :fingergun:

jradMIT
02-27-2014, 10:20 AM
not much consolation.

WolverineFan
02-27-2014, 11:00 AM
I'm still on the Bridgewater bandwagon, but I agree with some folks that there isn't a true clear #1 prospect in this draft. However, sometimes you gotta take a chance and get a guy who will develop into someone worthy of the #1 overall pick. There is no Andrew Luck, unfortunately, so we will have to take the guy who is most likely to become that franchise QB. I think it will be Teddy.

Same place I'm at. I could make a case for 7 guys to be the #1 pick. But in such a muddled group, QB is such a huge need that I can convince myself to go QB and Teddy is the one I happen to like the most.

Playoffs
02-27-2014, 11:11 AM
Rumor being floated around is close friends Falcons Thomas Dimitroff and Rams Les Snead already have a trade in place contingent on who the Texans select. Targets could be Clowney or Mack, if...

acal21
02-27-2014, 11:11 AM
I honestly wouldn't know who to take, i would love to trade down somewhere in the top 10...

But if we have the 1st pick I'm gonna let the texans make that decision and not freak out... they are putting in all the work, i don't have time to pretend I'm a scout and watch film

If they take clowney i just hope thats because they fell in love with a QB they could get in the 2nd or 3rd rounds

Corrosion
02-27-2014, 11:13 AM
It would come down to Clowney and the 3 QBs for me. Clowney and Watts would be tremendous on the same defense. But, you must have a QB. I take Bridgewater because he's the best passer of the 3. I don't see any real weakness in his game.

If Clowney turns out to be all he's hyped to be by some , how long do you think you can keep both he & Watt on the same payroll with a salary cap??

Watt is going to get paid soon , likely Mario Williams in Barfalo money , probably after this coming season. That leaves you ~3-4 years before Clowney is wanting the same type of $$$.

Can you spend $40m on two players on the DL and fill the roster with sufficient talent at the other positions ??

I'm still undecided on the QB's .... but I take whichever of them I grade out the highest after all the information is in.

Right now , I'm torn between Bridgewater , Manziel and Robinson .... which would mean taking a QB later.

stingray
02-27-2014, 11:15 AM
This is my top 5 in order. These are my observations in what i have seen on tape and read.

1. Bridgewater- smart, accurate, great work ethic. Only knock is weight but should be fine after weighing 214 lbs.

2. Manziel- Has a wow factor, not super fast but has great change of direction. Can be immature and concerns about him running a lot could make him the next RGiii.

3. Clowney- Extremely talented, rare combination of size and speed. But concerns that he has a lamborghini body and a honda fit motor.

4. Bortles- Looks the part, may turn out great but still raw. Very risky pick in my opinion due to people falling in live with his prototypical size for a qb.

5. Mack- super quick off the line. Looks unblockable at times. Comes from small school so competition is a concern.

I will not be angry if the Texans select any of the 5. I would rather see Teddy but will jump on board with any of them.

thunderkyss
02-27-2014, 11:45 AM

I'd be happy if he turns into the next Donavan McNabb. Or better yet, Jim Kelly.

If we draft him. If not, the next Ponder.

thunderkyss
02-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Watt is going to get paid soon , likely Mario Williams in Barfalo money , probably after this coming season. That leaves you ~3-4 years before Clowney is wanting the same type of $$$.

Can you spend $40m on two players on the DL and fill the roster with sufficient talent at the other positions ??

What if Watt blows out a knee? Or decides to go fight in Afghanistan?

We've got at least 5 years before we have to make that decision. If we get a Super Bowl between now & then (say we draft McCarron in the second).. then it's worth it.

powda
02-27-2014, 11:51 AM
This is my top 5 in order. These are my observations in what i have seen on tape and read.

1. Bridgewater- smart, accurate, great work ethic. Only knock is weight but should be fine after weighing 214 lbs.

2. Manziel- Has a wow factor, not super fast but has great change of direction. Can be immature and concerns about him running a lot could make him the next RGiii.

3. Clowney- Extremely talented, rare combination of size and speed. But concerns that he has a lamborghini body and a honda fit motor.

4. Bortles- Looks the part, may turn out great but still raw. Very risky pick in my opinion due to people falling in love with his prototypical size for a qb.

5. Mack- super quick off the line. Looks unblockable at times. Comes from small school so competition is a concern.

I will not be angry if the Texans select any of the 5. I would rather see Teddy but will jump on board with any of them.

I would add Robinson personally to your list somewhere near Bortles and Mack.

thunderkyss
02-27-2014, 11:52 AM

4. Bortles- Looks the part, may turn out great but still raw. Very risky pick in my opinion due to people falling in live with his prototypical size for a qb.

Let me ask you this. Do you believe there will be one or more players in the second that may do as well as Clowney or Mack?

Do you believe there will be one or more players in the second that may do as well as Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles?

If you answer no to both questions.... then you've got to take your QB. If you answer yes to both questions, then it doesn't really matter.

If you answer yes to one & not the other, then you need to select the other.

TexansFTW
02-27-2014, 02:36 PM
How is 6'1" a short WR? Jeez ...

Really? I don't think it's that absurd.

Look at the less than 6'3"+ WRs, that are strictly WRs (not Pattersons, Harvins, Austins) and look at their success in the NFL that don't have one of very good (top 8 QBs) throwing them the football.

There are definitely some like Steve Smith, Garcon, Boldin, etc, but not many.

I think if guys like Kendall Wright were on a team w/ a very good QB they would be household names putting up Antonio Brown #s.

I have a theory about this though and it involves accurate QBs (the VERY GOOD QBs). Your less accurate QBs like Schaub, Dalton, etc. can just throw jump balls or whatever and those big WRs they have can go up and get them most of the time, but when you get guys like Robert Woods jump balling against a same size CB you have way less success. Your more accurate QBs that can fit the ball anywhere can make anyone great though regardless of size.

This is just my theory though and if you want to shoot it down, fair enough.

LikeMike
02-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Let me ask you this. Do you believe there will be one or more players in the second that may do as well as Clowney or Mack?

Do you believe there will be one or more players in the second that may do as well as Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles?

If you answer no to both questions.... then you've got to take your QB. If you answer yes to both questions, then it doesn't really matter.

If you answer yes to one & not the other, then you need to select the other.

IŽd answer yes to the first question. There usually are great pass rushers in the 2nd or 3d available, Kyle van Noy might be a possibility. And I have major question marks around Clowney and think, that drafting Mack may be reaching a bit. If we were to take him IŽd prefer us trading out of the top spot.

The second question is trickier. I don`t think any other player has the ceiling of these 2 guys. But there are major question marks, if they can hit their ceiling. And it is entirely possible, that a 2nd round QB outperforms them. I also think, that no 2nd round QB is as NFL ready as Bridgewater.

My top 5 would probably be:

1. Bridgewater
2. Manziel
3. Robinson
4. Matthews
5. Clowney/Watkins

ObsiWan
02-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Yes. Dee Ford if we are looking at a pure DE. Van Noy if we're looking for a OLB. Plus Van Noy can cover. I haven't seen any reports on Clowney's coverage skills... and at OLB - he's small for what RAC has historically looked for in DEs - he will have to cover on occasion.

Now this one, as has been said earlier, is trickier to answer since I don't really know what O'Brien wants in a QB. But I think my answer would be a qualified "yes". Garappolo can be had in the 2nd and maybe Mettenberger or Bret Smith can be had in the 3rd, maybe 4th.
I think Bortles is being overly hyped of late and when Manziel and Bridgewater decided not to showcase their skills at the combine both have dropped down my "board" (if I had a board :D). Whatcha skeerd of fellas?

I answered yes to both. But that's me. I have this feeling that Bridgewater will be picked by us at 1-1.
...assuming we don't get a sweet trade down deal.

eriadoc
02-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Really? I don't think it's that absurd.

Well, I never used the word absurd, but I do think it's an extreme position. Just a quick glance at the 2013 receptions leader board shows #1 Garcon at 6', #2 Antonio Brown at 5'10", #3 AJ (6'3", though I've seen him listed at 6'2"), #4 Edelman at 5'10", and #5 Brandon Marshall at 6'4". Rounding out the top 20 are 6 more that are less than your 6'3" mark, 5 of whom are less than 6'1". So 9 of the top 20 are less than 6'3". Notably absent from the top 20 are guys that have been there before or had high yardage and/or TD success, such as Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith (CAR), Victor Cruz, Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Dwayne Bowe, Hakeem Nicks, Danny Amendola, or Steve Johnson. All of those WRs are under your arbitrary 6'3" mark, and almost all of them are under the 6'1" height of Sammy Watkins.

And I didn't even mention our own DeAndre Hopkins, who has the capability of being in such a list.

TexansFTW
02-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Well, I never used the word absurd, but I do think it's an extreme position. Just a quick glance at the 2013 receptions leader board shows #1 Garcon at 6', #2 Antonio Brown at 5'10", #3 AJ (6'3", though I've seen him listed at 6'2"), #4 Edelman at 5'10", and #5 Brandon Marshall at 6'4". Rounding out the top 20 are 6 more that are less than your 6'3" mark, 5 of whom are less than 6'1". So 9 of the top 20 are less than 6'3". Notably absent from the top 20 are guys that have been there before or had high yardage and/or TD success, such as Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith (CAR), Victor Cruz, Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Dwayne Bowe, Hakeem Nicks, Danny Amendola, or Steve Johnson. All of those WRs are under your arbitrary 6'3" mark, and almost all of them are under the 6'1" height of Sammy Watkins.

And I didn't even mention our own DeAndre Hopkins, who has the capability of being in such a list.

I think you only read the first line of what I said, but fair enough.

Dread-Head
02-28-2014, 11:18 AM
:headhurts: Why isn't BILL one of our choices?

Nitrofish
03-03-2014, 01:58 PM
I would take Clowney, and shoot for a QB at the top of the 2nd. But if I had to take a QB I would go with:

Bridgewater
Bortles
Manziel

We all know that the OL is something that needs serious attention, or it won't matter who is under center.

The poll on the official website has Manziel with a wide margin. Imagine that. I think this poll is a bit more realistic with Bridgewater leading the way.

The combine was a waste of time, and I think only players willing to participate in all of the drills should be invited. If you decide not to throw, etc. your invitation is revoked and you have to rely on your pro day only. Allot of good it did to see Bridgewater and Manziel standing on the sidelines watching other guys throw.

And that is why I have Bortles over Manziel. At least Bortles had the balls to throw and show what he's got. This excuse about not having WR's they are familiar with is total BS. The scouts, coaches and GM's all know that.

I see Manziel as Keenum 2.0, and with that much hype around him, he will never be able to live up to that.

Bridgewater the most pro ready which as already been said, but I have to laugh at people who say he is too thin, but never say the same thing about Manziel who is smaller in every way.

ObsiWan
03-03-2014, 02:04 PM
:headhurts: Why isn't BILL one of our choices?

It's implied that we're talking about potential rookies; so are you saying Bill's a rookie??
:shades:

infantrycak
03-03-2014, 02:17 PM
It's implied that we're talking about potential rookies; so are you saying Bill's a rookie??
:shades:

Depends on the subject. Do you want us to fill in the blank? :kitten:

Hervoyel
03-03-2014, 02:58 PM
I'm glad I don't have to make this decision. The longer I think about it the more I waffle around and can't settle on a single player.

JB
03-03-2014, 03:15 PM
I'm glad I don't have to make this decision. The longer I think about it the more I waffle around and can't settle on a single player.

This is where I'm at. Now I'm hoping we can trade down and get 3-4 first round talents out of this draft

ObsiWan
03-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Depends on the subject. Do you want us to fill in the blank? :kitten:
ummmm...
no.
let's not go there.
:)

Honoring Earl 34
03-03-2014, 03:33 PM

I watched "A Football Life " on the NFL Network and Matt Millen was really wanting DeMarcus Ware and Ware fell in his lap . Some of the coaches were talking about Mike Williams WR USC . Matt Millen waffled and let the coaches talk him out of Ware .

Exascor
03-03-2014, 04:10 PM
This is where I'm at. Now I'm hoping we can trade down and get 3-4 first round talents out of this draft
This is me as well. What a strange situation to be in. You have your pick of every eligible player but there's not any players truly separating from the pack. I'm rotating through Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Clowney & Watkins. I hate mocks that have trades but I'd prefer one to happen vs taking someone at 1-1. I'd love to drop to 4-6 range and still get one of the top 3 qbs. At 1-1 my head just hurts.

JB
03-03-2014, 04:14 PM
This is me as well. What a strange situation to be in. You have your pick of every eligible player but there's not any players truly separating from the pack. I'm rotating through Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Clowney & Watkins. I hate mocks that have trades but I'd prefer one to happen vs taking someone at 1-1. I'd love to drop to 4-6 range and still get one of the top 3 qbs. At 1-1 my head just hurts.

Yep, but replace Manziel with OT for me. Either Robinson or Matthews

kiwitexansfan
03-03-2014, 05:50 PM

I'm still a Bridgewater guy but I would not be upset with a trade down, plenty of depth this year.

TexansFTW
03-04-2014, 10:41 AM

I do hear what you're saying, but I also feel like everyone focuses so much on 2012 this is how everyone feels, which leads people to think we are getting screwed to have the #1 pick THIS YEAR or something.

Besides 2012 do you know how many years in the last 10 draft years had an 'easy' decision at 1.01?

The answer is 0.

Even Bradford's year there were a lot of people talking about Suh at #1.

Stafford's year might have been a little easier to take him at #1, but out of about 5 'big boards' I saw he was only #1 on 1 of them and frequently ranked between 5-10 (kind of like this year).

Then you can argue the Raiders 'easily' chose Jamarcus, but that's cause the Raiders are dumb and rarely use proper decision making with their high draft picks.

Dutchrudder
03-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Andrew Luck seemed like an easy decision to me. Probably Stafford and Eli Manning too. 3 outta 10 years at best ain't too great.

TexansFTW
03-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Andrew Luck seemed like an easy decision to me. Probably Stafford and Eli Manning too. 3 outta 10 years at best ain't too great.

I omitted 2004 and Eli by saying last 10 drafts. 2005 - 2014. Eli was a pretty easy #1 too, you're right.

LikeMike
03-15-2014, 05:24 AM
Well, with the Texans seemingly going the rebuild mode - I guess IŽd try to trade down a bit and then select Robinson (at least if they are not in love with any QB). Get draft picks and build the line, so that whoever comes in at QB has a chance. If we can`t get Garrapolo in the 2nd, well then keep going with Keenum. In rebuilding high draft picks are important, so build the lines and the pass rush this year, get a QB, a TE and a safety next year.

I am still in the Bridgewater camp, but if they don`t love a QB and want to be smart and build slowly through the draft, they might as well do it right.

ObsiWan
03-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Simple poll: if no trade was available to us and you have to select a player, who would it be?
Now that we've had combine fever die down and there have been some significant F/A moves, I wonder what the poll would look like if taken today...?

I'm still for Robinson/Matthews.
Although picking Bridgewater wouldn't have me running to jump off a ledge.

Goldensilence
03-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Still Bridgewater here. If you can have a floor high as Matt Ryan, who I think TB is similar to, you make the selection and walk away. I doubt the FO is going to get a legit trade down option, which means they'll have to take #1.

mussop
03-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Now that we've had combine fever die down and there have been some significant F/A moves, I wonder what the poll would look like if taken today...?

I'm still for Robinson/Matthews.
Although picking Bridgewater wouldn't have me running to jump off a ledge.

There is eight guys that wouldn't have me jumping off a bridge. Clowney and Robinson have the most upside to me. I actually think Robinson will end up the best player to come out of this draft.

bckey
03-15-2014, 08:31 PM
The biggest hole on this team is RT. I want Robinson but I would still be pretty happy with Matthews. None of the qbs separate themselves enough from each other and none seem worthy of a number 1 pick and maybe not even top 10 pick. Wr just seems like a waste of a number 1 pick with such glaring needs at other positions. Clowney would be ok now since the departure of Smith and Mitchell but he kind of scares me even though he has all the measurable. Heart is the ? on him. Drafting OT will help whatever qb OB puts out on the field. OL was awful last year. Lets fix it and draft a qb (Jimmy Garoppolo, Zach Mettenberger, or A.J. McCarron) in the 2nd. I would go all defense after that except I would draft OG somewhere from round 4-6.

So basically I am saying with the 1st round pick the Texans need to go with a big ugly. Offense or defense. Robinson looks like he is our best sure thing in that department. Trading down is another option but less likely. If the Texans absolutely are bent on getting a qb with the 1st pick then I hope it is Manziel.

Number19
03-15-2014, 09:36 PM
Four weeks ago I began developing my defense-centric mock with Barr as my first selection. Two weeks later I modified it with Mack as my selection at 1-1. When I did this poll, I was just being a bit of a contrarian and voted for Manziel. If I had a do over, I'd vote Mack to be consistent with my mock.

beerlover
03-15-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm proud to remain unchanged going Greg Robinson as the best prospect in the draft, best prospect in fact since Andrew Luck. Nothing changed tape has been in for months, go with the biggest freak of nature, gonna have to search wide & far for impact player @ QB position I fear..... may have to revisit Tajh Boyd 3rd rd. & hope he turns a Russel Wilson.

steelbtexan
03-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Clowney or Robinson.

The thought of signing Wilfork and having Clowney and Watt in the front 7 is very appealing.

kiwitexansfan
03-15-2014, 09:55 PM
Clowney or Robinson.

The thought of signing Wilfork and having Clowney and Watt in the front 7 is very appealing.

Fearful Wilfork is our next Ed Reed and Clowney is another Vernon Gholston.

The Pencil Neck
03-16-2014, 01:06 AM
I'm still where I was. I think Watkins is going to be the best player coming out of this draft. So that's who I'd pick.

That doesn't help us much.

After that if I decided to pick who would probably help our team more, I'd select Robinson or Matthews.

I'm not feeling these QBs or these DE/LBs.

Texan in Japan
03-16-2014, 01:33 AM
I like Robinson, Clowney and Watkins. I believe all three will be difference makers. Next tier is Mack, Matthews, Evans and Donald. If we can trade down and get any of those 7 and extra picks then I'd be ecstatic.

We need impact players and I'm not feeling any of the QBs in the top 10 picks. While we don't really need a WR and some are saying why are you pimping Aaron Donald for the Texans, I actually like him as an OLB (call me insane)...I believe we have to take the best football player available when we pick.

Bortles has the measurables, but I just didn't see a guy I would take at 1-1 in the bowl game or any other film. TB is OK, but I'm not seeing him at #1, maybe in the 10-20 range. Johnny Manziel I love, but I can't see him at 1-1. If we trade back twice and end in the 8-12 range, he would bring a lot of excitement, passion and swagger to our offense...all things we need. I'm just not sure he's Bob's kinda QB.

The safe pick is probably Robinson, put him a RT now and groom him to replace Brown eventually. Clowney could be a Willie McG kind of player in a Pat's defense. It would be fun to see Vrabel and Kollar fight to see who gets him. Watkins is electric and adding him to our current WRs would make us very potent. He becomes AJ replacement down the road.

Lucky
03-16-2014, 08:46 AM
The more I watch Bridgewater, the more I like him. I'm serious when I say he's probably the most NFL ready prospect in this draft. He can make all the throws and he's fearless in throwing into tight windows. Bridgewater is an effective runner in that he runs with a purpose. Which is to keep the play alive and move the chains.

I mentioned in the Bortles thread that I liked Blake because he's a battler. He is. Watch Bridgewater in the UConn game when he was a soph. He and the team struggled all day. But came up with a 92 yard drive at the end of regulation to tie the score. Was carried off the field with a knee injury in the 1st ot. Came back in the 2nd ot with a td pass to tie the score. It didn't have a happy ending, but that game showed a lot to me of Bridgewater's character.

Playoffs
03-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Film study: A detailed look at the Texans' potential No. 1 QB picks (http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Film-study-A-detailed-look-at-the-Texans-5318260.php?t=b9e1e82440d8ff4dd2)
Two local college defensive coordinators – who have more than 50 combined years of coaching, including stints in the NFL, Southeastern and Big 12 Conferences -- recently opened their film rooms to the Houston Chronicle, providing a detailed look at how they countered, attacked and mostly tried to survive Bridgewater, Bortles and Manziel.
Teddy Bridgewater

Gibbs got Bortles and Bridgewater at the perfect time. The late-season Nov. 9 and 16 American Athletic Conference road matchups weren't ideal for the Cougars, who dropped from a season-best six games above .500 to 7-3. But Gibbs had more than two months' worth of game film as he prepared for the duo and the Cougars' defense..
Blake Bortles

Gibbs turned to Penn State – former home of new Texans coach Bill O'Brien – in the attempt to decipher Bortles.

On Sept. 14, Central Florida pulled off a surprising 34-31 victory against O'Brien's Nittany Lions in State College, Pa. Five games later, Bortles' Knights hosted the Cougars in Orlando, Fla. Gibbs borrowed a Penn State blitz to attack Bortles and the Cougars defensive coordinator entered a Nov. 9 matchup believing his gutsy defense could also surprise. "I thought we could pick the ball off from Bortles a couple times," Gibbs said...
Johnny Manziel

Thurmond has devoted more than 30 years of his life to college football. Rice's defensive coordinator has never seen anyone – on the field or on film – like Manziel.

Thurmond rolled two tapes to prove it. The first, Thurmond turned to when he..
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Film-study-A-detailed-look-at-the-Texans-5318260.php?t=b9e1e82440d8ff4dd2

thunderkyss
03-16-2014, 12:12 PM
The more I watch Bridgewater, the more I like him. I'm serious when I say he's probably the most NFL ready prospect in this draft.

His most impressive throws are darts into tight coverage.... but they are few & far between. When I'm looking for "all the throws" I'm expecting to see quick outs, out routes in general, fades along the sideline, deep posts, as well as a plethora of throws to the middle of the field; slants, deep slants, deep crossers, post routes, etc...

I did not chart Teddy's throws, nor any of the other QBs, but there is a lack of out routes in just about all of them. Teddy in particular, I get the feeling he mostly throws curl routes, & comebacks outside the hashes. Slants & shallow crossers to the middle, some comebacks.

As far as being pro ready, or the most pro ready, it's difficult for me to say that about any QB playing in the ACC, the Big East even (unless it were basketball).

A good prospect no doubt. The best prospect, maybe. He is most probably going to have a nice NFL career. I'm thinking along the lines of Matthew Stafford, especially with the receivers we've got (assuming Andre has a couple of more top of the league performances left in him). Someone said Matt Ryan the other day, I can see that as well.

But I still do not see him as an elite talent, or someone we can pass elite talent on.

Ryan
03-16-2014, 12:17 PM
His most impressive throws are darts into tight coverage.... but they are few & far between. When I'm looking for "all the throws" I'm expecting to see quick outs, out routes in general, fades along the sideline, deep posts, as well as a plethora of throws to the middle of the field; slants, deep slants, deep crossers, post routes, etc...

I did not chart Teddy's throws, nor any of the other QBs, but there is a lack of out routes in just about all of them. Teddy in particular, I get the feeling he mostly throws curl routes, & comebacks outside the hashes. Slants & shallow crossers to the middle, some comebacks.

As far as being pro ready, or the most pro ready, it's difficult for me to say that about any QB playing in the ACC, the Big East even (unless it were basketball).

A good prospect no doubt. The best prospect, maybe. He is most probably going to have a nice NFL career. I'm thinking along the lines of Matthew Stafford, especially with the receivers we've got (assuming Andre has a couple of more top of the league performances left in him). Someone said Matt Ryan the other day, I can see that as well.

But I still do not see him as an elite talent, or someone we can pass elite talent on.

Do you really see us being in a position to pass on a QB in the Stafford/Ryan caliber if that's what our staff really believes about any of these guys? I don't see it.

The Pencil Neck
03-16-2014, 12:34 PM
I'm thinking along the lines of Matthew Stafford, especially with the receivers we've got (assuming Andre has a couple of more top of the league performances left in him). Someone said Matt Ryan the other day, I can see that as well.

We are so worlds apart on this, it's not even funny. And I'm not talking about the evaluation of TB or BB.

If Matt Ryan or Matthew Stafford were the QBs we were talking about here, then we'd HAVE to take one of them. Those are two QBs that you can build an offense around and be very successful with for years to come.

My hesitation with the QBs is that I'm not convinced they're up to that level.

If OB is, then he should take one of them.

steelbtexan
03-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Fearful Wilfork is our next Ed Reed and Clowney is another Vernon Gholston.

Agree with you about Wilfork after reading C-N-D's post about Wilforks injury in another thread. No way Clowney is another Gholston.

thunderkyss
03-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Do you really see us being in a position to pass on a QB in the Stafford/Ryan caliber if that's what our staff really believes about any of these guys? I don't see it.

Yes, because I think McCarron, Murray, & Fales to be of the same caliber.

We are so worlds apart on this, it's not even funny. And I'm not talking about the evaluation of TB or BB.

If Matt Ryan or Matthew Stafford were the QBs we were talking about here, then we'd HAVE to take one of them. Those are two QBs that you can build an offense around and be very successful with for years to come.

My hesitation with the QBs is that I'm not convinced they're up to that level.

If OB is, then he should take one of them.

I said probably. If I were convinced that one of them will I'd agree, we have to take one. But I'm not. I've got a list of 6 that I believe will probably attain that level of success. I won't draft a QB in the top 5, passing on an elite talent, when 3 QBs likely to achieve the same success will be available at 2-1.

This is a deep QB class. Just like we've been saying since last off-season. No Andrew Lucks, but a whole lot of Staffords.

The Pencil Neck
03-16-2014, 02:35 PM
No Andrew Lucks, but a whole lot of Staffords.

And again, that's where we differ.

I don't see these guys as a whole lot of Staffords because I think Stafford is a helluva lot better than you seem to be giving him credit for being.

I see this crop as being a whole bunch of Brady Quinn and John David Booty.

TexansFTW
03-16-2014, 02:35 PM
Hah, we just keep dancing this same dance in the same circle in thread after thread. I won't bite on this one though.

The biggest hole on this team is RT.

Interesting... I could have sworn I saw something different when watching the games last year. Definitely a need though.

infantrycak
03-16-2014, 02:39 PM

I don't see these guys as a whole lot of Staffords because I think Stafford is a helluva lot better than you seem to be giving him credit for being.

I'm with you. TK seems to be taking anyone who is not a dead lock and throwing them into one big "probable" pile and considering everyone in the pile equal. I'll take 90% probable over 5% probable.

Lucky
03-16-2014, 03:40 PM
His most impressive throws are darts into tight coverage.... but they are few & far between. When I'm looking for "all the throws" I'm expecting to see quick outs, out routes in general, fades along the sideline, deep posts, as well as a plethora of throws to the middle of the field; slants, deep slants, deep crossers, post routes, etc.....
I would take another look, because those are exactly the throws Bridgewater makes.

Playoffs
03-16-2014, 03:42 PM

Not Bridgewater, not for me.

The Pencil Neck
03-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Not Bridgewater, not for me.

The top 2 in this draft are the only ones I think have a legitimate shot of NOT being in that group. But I'm not sure it's a great shot.

Of the QBs, it's Bridgewater or Bortles with Bridgewater having the best shot at being a great QB.

steelbtexan
03-16-2014, 03:53 PM

If this is a Quinn, Booty QB class then drafting a QB 1-1 should be out of the question.

The Pencil Neck
03-16-2014, 04:07 PM
If this is a Quinn, Booty QB class then drafting a QB 1-1 should be out of the question.

Which is why I prefer Robinson, Matthews, or Watkins.

TexansFTW
03-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Just because YOU think every QB in this draft is Booty doesn't mean that's true.

Onto other subjects... you might find 1 or 2 NFL throws in this reel if you want to see if he doesn't make any:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwXqubJpNlg

htownfan32
03-16-2014, 04:43 PM
The top 2 in this draft are the only ones I think have a legitimate shot of NOT being in that group. But I'm not sure it's a great shot.

Of the QBs, it's Bridgewater or Bortles with Bridgewater having the best shot at being a great QB.

Actually, even though I'm pulling for Bridgewater, I think Manziel could be the greatest of this draft class. He could also be the absolute worst, which is what makes me cross his name off at 1-1.

thunderkyss
03-16-2014, 05:48 PM

Fair enough, we're in the same camp; Robinson, Watkins, Clowney, I'll even throw Mack in there.

drs23
03-19-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm all in on Khalil Mack as BPA. I believe he's going to beast in the NFL. We need a QB but there are no #1s there. I think the braintrust have probably got a plan in place to address that. Things move slowly on Kirby Dr. ya know?

kiwitexansfan
04-07-2014, 04:51 AM
There are currently four guys I am considering at 1:1

Bridgewater
Robinson
Mack
Clowney

LikeMike
04-07-2014, 05:58 AM
There are currently four guys I am considering at 1:1

Bridgewater
Robinson
Mack
Clowney

I think right now it is coming down to 3 scenarios for the front office:

1. Take bpa which most people believe to be Clowney.
2. Take the QB you like, which seems to be Bortles.
3. Trade down (maybe even for a "bad" offer).

Manziel and Bridgewater could be the guy with the second scenario, but everything we are reading points to Bortles. And it doesn`t seem that any other player stands out the way Clowney does.

Of those 3 scenarios IŽd go with number 3 as long as we don`t drop out of the top 8 and get another first rounder (this year or next year) or at least an early second rounder back.

kiwitexansfan
04-07-2014, 01:25 PM
I think right now it is coming down to 3 scenarios for the front office:

1. Take bpa which most people believe to be Clowney.
2. Take the QB you like, which seems to be Bortles.
3. Trade down (maybe even for a "bad" offer).

Manziel and Bridgewater could be the guy with the second scenario, but everything we are reading points to Bortles. And it doesn`t seem that any other player stands out the way Clowney does.

Of those 3 scenarios IŽd go with number 3 as long as we don`t drop out of the top 8 and get another first rounder (this year or next year) or at least an early second rounder back.

I'm all for trading down for a bad offer.

I'm not inclined to be fussy or demanding.

I'd swap 1:1 for most teams 1, 2, 3