PDA

View Full Version : The NFL is NOT full of "world class" athletic professionals...

Playoffs
02-16-2014, 01:21 PM
http://www.olineperformance.com/images/banner2.png

LeCharles Bentley ‏@OLineWorld65 (https://twitter.com/OLineWorld65/status/435087837814210560)
Simple reasons why NFL players don't really need PEDs - 75/80% of players... pic.twitter.com/MEg2DOioIi (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bgm-FUaCQAE31cf.jpg:large)

A. Don't really want to play.
B. Choose partying over training.
C. Eat like crap.
D. Smoke way too much weed.
E. Are generally lazy.
F. Are mental midgets.

The NFL is NOT full of "world class" athletic professionals. The NFL is full of "world class" genetic lottery winners. Why dope when the equivalence of "doping" in the NFL is simply going to bed, training hard, and eating right... It is exactly what 80% of the athletic peer group is not doing.

LeCharles Vernon Bentley (born November 7, 1979) is a former American college and professional football player (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeCharles_Bentley) who was a center in the National Football League (NFL) for six seasons. He played college football for Ohio State University, earned All-American honors, and was recognized as the best center in the country. The New Orleans Saints selected him in the second round of the 2002 NFL Draft, and he played professionally for the Saints and Cleveland Browns of the NFL. Bentley was a two-time Pro Bowl selection with the Saints. He retired, after a knee injury.

Texecutioner
02-16-2014, 01:48 PM
I agree with this 100%. Even more so for NBA players.

Texn4life
02-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Funny stuff......... BS, but funny stuff though.

infantrycak
02-16-2014, 02:40 PM

How is it BS?

rmartin65
02-16-2014, 02:45 PM

Sounds like you have an agenda. Considering he has first hand knowledge of what the NFL and NFL players are like, I think I will take his opinion over yours.

But funny stuff, though.

Texn4life
02-16-2014, 02:46 PM
How is it BS?

Because "winning the genetic lottery" is simply a small part of making it in the NFL. To say that 80% of players are basically lucking into an NFL career just kind of makes me chuckle a little. Maybe I'm taking his comments a little too literally, but playing the game at as high of a level as its played cannot be accomplished without hard work and dedication to their craft. Are there players who are so physically gifted that they can get away with doing the things he says? Sure, I know there are. 80% though? OK.

Texn4life
02-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Sounds like you have an agenda. Considering he has first hand knowledge of what the NFL and NFL players are like, I think I will take his opinion over yours.

But funny stuff, though.

What agenda would I have?

Texecutioner
02-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Because "winning the genetic lottery" is simply a small part of making it in the NFL. To say that 80% of players are basically lucking into an NFL career just kind of makes me chuckle a little. Maybe I'm taking his comments a little to literally, but playing the game at as high of a level as its played cannot be accomplished without hard work and dedication to their craft. Are there players who are so physically gifted that they can get away with doing the things he says? Sure, I know there are. 80% though? OK.

There have been hundreds if not thousands of NFL guys that have had the talents to dog it and still remain in the NFL. Hell, there have been tons and tons that played for a just a little while because they refused to work hard and it caught up with them. They are some of the least hard working athletes in my opinion though. That doesn't mean all of them by any means. Brady, Manning, AJ, and guys like Watt are exceptions. Not the norm.

infantrycak
02-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Because "winning the genetic lottery" is simply a small part of making it in the NFL. To say that 80% of players are basically lucking into an NFL career just kind of makes me chuckle a little. Maybe I'm taking his comments a little to literally, but playing the game at as high of a level as its played cannot be accomplished without hard work and dedication to their craft. Are there players who are so physically gifted that they can get away with doing the things he says? Sure, I know there are. 80% though? OK.

I took that as 80% of players don't give 100% effort in order to be in the NFL. They are gifted enough that less than total dedication gets them there and keeps them there. Not that 0% effort was required.

It's a rebuttal to the assertion PEDs are necessary to even compete in the NFL. That 100% dedication alone isn't good enough. I suspect the truth is in between. There almost certainly guys who are only hanging on in the league because they are taking PEDs, but they may be in that situation because they are behind someone who neither uses PEDs nor gives 100% but is more genetically gifted.

Texn4life
02-16-2014, 02:53 PM
There have been hundreds if not thousands of NFL guys that have had the talents to dog it and still remain in the NFL. Hell, there have been tons and tons that played for a just a little while because they refused to work hard and it caught up with them. They are some of the least hard working athletes in my opinion though. That doesn't mean all of them by any means. Brady, Manning, AJ, and guys like Watt are exceptions. Not the norm.

I'm talking with an NFL scout right now and he said its a ridiculous comment. This is a guy who played in the NFL as well. He said Bentley is a weird cat. But I'll respect everyone's opinion.

Texn4life
02-16-2014, 03:25 PM
I took that as 80% of players don't give 100% effort in order to be in the NFL. They are gifted enough that less than total dedication gets them there and keeps them there. Not that 0% effort was required.

It's a rebuttal to the assertion PEDs are necessary to even compete in the NFL. That 100% dedication alone isn't good enough. I suspect the truth is in between. There almost certainly guys who are only hanging on in the league because they are taking PEDs, but they may be in that situation because they are behind someone who neither uses PEDs nor gives 100% but is more genetically gifted.

I'm following you. The guy I spoke with just gave me a few examples of players who fit that description. Said they're are not common in the NFL because most guys are playing for their careers every week.

The last part of what you said regarding PEDs I get. I think there is some truth to the fact some guys get into the league based on that, but it doesn't keep you there. There is no substitution for hard work and the guys on the back end of the roster are there because of the dedication to their craft.

infantrycak
02-16-2014, 04:16 PM
I'm following you. The guy I spoke with just gave me a few examples of players who fit that description. Said they're are not common in the NFL because most guys are playing for their careers every week.

Well what is considered common is going to be determined by what is included. If you are including pot smoking some folks have estimated that as high as 50% of the league. Drinking is certainly the majority of the league but definitions will vary on what is more than reasonable. Diets are all over the map and clearly are not ideal in many instances. Put those three alone together and I would be shocked if the majority of the league doesn't fall into one or more. If your attitude is like Bentley that not having a strict diet and restraining from drinking and smoking other than as an occasional matter then his percentages are probably not unreasonable. If you are going to shrug off events like for the Texans all the receivers and a number of other players going out drinking every Thursday then you won't think it is common.

Texn4life
02-16-2014, 04:23 PM
Well what is considered common is going to be determined by what is included. If you are including pot smoking some folks have estimated that as high as 50% of the league. Drinking is certainly the majority of the league but definitions will vary on what is more than reasonable. Diets are all over the map and clearly are not ideal in many instances. Put those three alone together and I would be shocked if the majority of the league doesn't fall into one or more. If your attitude is like Bentley that not having a strict diet and restraining from drinking and smoking other than as an occasional matter then his percentages are probably not unreasonable. If you are going to shrug off events like for the Texans all the receivers and a number of other players going out drinking every Thursday then you won't think it is common.

Ok, so what is smoking way too much? I know guys who smoke a joint a day who play or have played in the NFL, but is that too much? Does that mean that aren't 100% committed to their craft. They work their butts off and the majority of the guys in the NFL do. Is going out every now and then considered a bad thing?

Like I said I respect yours and his opinion, but "I FEEL" like its BS. There are a lot of guys who have played in the league who have said asinine things. I will defer to believing the guys I've just talked to asking them about his comments and believe what they feel about it. To each his own. He's definitely entitled to his opinion. But I'm also entitled to mine.

infantrycak
02-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Ok, so what is smoking way too much? I know guys who smoke a joint a day who play or have played in the NFL, but is that too much? Does that mean that aren't 100% committed to their craft. They work their butts off and the majority of the guys in the NFL do. Is going out every now and then considered a bad thing?

Like I said I respect yours and his opinion, but "I FEEL" like its BS. There are a lot of guys who have played in the league who have said asinine things. I will defer to believing the guys I've just talked to asking them about his comments and believe what they feel about it. To each his own. He's definitely entitled to his opinion. But I'm also entitled to mine.

I wasn't taking any position, just describing Bentley's. Seems to me the conduct he is describing is very common but you and he disagree on its effect and whether it should be considered giving less than 100%.

imatexan
02-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Lets see what Richard Sherman has to say on the topic...

Double Barrel
02-17-2014, 01:15 PM
80% of players sounds more like a generalization than an actual representation of real numbers.

Bentley is probably right to a certain extent. He's got the personal experience to back up his perspective. However, the numbers themselves "75%" and "80%" are just too rounded to say it's anything but a generalization.

A lot of athletes take P.E.D.s to recover, especially from injuries. I do not think there is much 'natural' in terms of exercise and diet that can help speed up recovering from an injury as much as some of these lab substances.

Interesting subject, though. Will be interesting to see if it has any legs.

infantrycak
02-17-2014, 01:19 PM
A lot of athletes take P.E.D.s to recover, especially from injuries. I do not think there is much 'natural' in terms of exercise and diet that can help speed up recovering from an injury as much as some of these lab substances.

I wouldn't object at all to an exception from the general PED ban for use on doctor's advice for recovery from a specified list of injuries to be discontinued prior to resumption of play.

Double Barrel
02-17-2014, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't object at all to an exception from the general PED ban for use on doctor's advice for recovery from a specified list of injuries to be discontinued prior to resumption of play.

I would not have a problem with it, either. If used as part of a medically sound and transparent recovery routine, I think the benefits could be fantastic for these players.

Dread-Head
02-17-2014, 02:27 PM
A. Don't really want to play.
B. Choose partying over training.
C. Eat like crap.
D. Smoke way too much weed.
E. Are generally lazy.
F. Are mental midgets.

The NFL is NOT full of "world class" athletic professionals. The NFL is full of "world class" genetic lottery winners. Why dope when the equivalence of "doping" in the NFL is simply going to bed, training hard, and eating right... It is exactly what 80% of the athletic peer group is not doing.

Replace D. With "Drink too much." and you got me and Bill. Damn it Bill! We could have made it in the NFL!

ArlingtonTexan
02-19-2014, 01:27 AM
A. Don't really want to work.
B. Choose anything over career development.
C. Eat like crap.
D. Have some useless (maybe even harmful) vice that they do too much
E. Are generally lazy.
F. Are mental midgets.

The America is NOT full of "hard working " professionals. This country is full of "born in the right time and right country" lottery winners. Why brown nose when the equivalence of "brown nosing " in the workplace is simply showing up to work, knowing your job , and following simple directions... It is exactly what 80% of employed Americans are not doing.

bah007
02-19-2014, 02:18 PM

I would not have a problem with it, either. If used as part of a medically sound and transparent recovery routine, I think the benefits could be fantastic for these players.

I agree with both of you. But with the stakes so high for every player, how long until this part is exploited?

Mr teX
02-19-2014, 02:33 PM
ehh, I'm with arlington texan...most people don't come into their jobs & give "world class" efforts day in, day out for various reasons. Why should we expect that from pro ball players?

infantrycak
02-19-2014, 04:37 PM
ehh, I'm with arlington texan...most people don't come into their jobs & give "world class" efforts day in, day out for various reasons. Why should we expect that from pro ball players?

It shouldn't necessarily be surprising but on expectations they are hardly ordinary workers given their pay scale.

Mr teX
02-19-2014, 04:43 PM
It shouldn't necessarily be surprising but on expectations they are hardly ordinary workers given their pay scale.

Right, but they're not exempt from falling prey to the same things us ordinary folks do no matter their pay scales. Human nature is human nature. & human nature says that those who can get over without going all out, usually will try to.

ArlingtonTexan
02-19-2014, 06:11 PM

I can't put my hand on one at the moment, there are studies that support the idea that people don't actually work harder..i.e. put in more time/effort because the paycheck is bigger...at least not consistently.

Of my circle friends, the person who makes the most pure cash, is the one spends the least time "working." She is not lazy per se, but her job has not required her to do anything extra and she does not. She has said,yeah I could do more, but there is no reason for me to.

ArlingtonTexan
02-19-2014, 06:30 PM
http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/09/working-hours

EllisUnit
02-22-2014, 01:30 PM

Yeah but most of us live week to week and dont have 6 figure salaries, plus most common Americans dont get 5-6 month vacations every year. Lots of differences, to many to compare regular people with regular jobs who can barely afford to go out to a resturaunt and eat to these guys making ungodly amounts of $$$.

You think someone who makes 10 dollars an hour is more motivated to do their job 100% or someone who mkaes 40 dollars an hour ?

Playoffs
02-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Yeah but most of us live week to week and dont have 6 figure salaries, plus most common Americans dont get 5-6 month vacations every year. Lots of differences, to many to compare regular people...

And most of us don't expect that the bulk of our lifetime earning power will be concentrated within a 3 to 10 year window.

Carr Bombed
02-22-2014, 03:24 PM
I'm throwing the bull**** flag. Bentley didn't even know 80% of the players in the league. Before his career was cut short he played on apathetic crappy Saints teams.. Now I do believe 80% of that team was sand bagging it.. Especially in the big easy.

2012Champs
02-22-2014, 03:53 PM
Yeah but most of us live week to week and dont have 6 figure salaries, plus most common Americans dont get 5-6 month vacations every year. Lots of differences, to many to compare regular people with regular jobs who can barely afford to go out to a resturaunt and eat to these guys making ungodly amounts of $$$.

You think someone who makes 10 dollars an hour is more motivated to do their job 100% or someone who mkaes 40 dollars an hour ?

If "most of us live week to week" then most of us have a spending problem.

EllisUnit
02-22-2014, 04:22 PM
If "most of us live week to week" then most of us have a spending problem.

I dont live week to week, but most of our employees do. And people that say stuff like that dont see other peoples finances, people now days live on credit and if not for that they would have little to make it until their next pay check.

You think the cost of living is getting cheaper ? In south texas for a 1 bed room apartment your looking at 700-900 a month. For my 3 bedroom house in a normal neighborhood i pay 1400 a month for 1300 square feet, and i have one of the cheaper houses.

And you think uncle sam is taking less from peoples checks ? No he is now taking more, you think taxes is going down ? No its going up, you think foods getting cheaper ? No its getting more expensive.

I know i know this has been the theme for years and years. But my whole point is it is un fair to compare someone working at Mcdonalds work ethic and motivation making 7$ an hour to an athlete who makes 500K-10Million + a year.

2012Champs
02-22-2014, 05:08 PM
I dont live week to week, but most of our employees do. And people that say stuff like that dont see other peoples finances, people now days live on credit and if not for that they would have little to make it until their next pay check.

You think the cost of living is getting cheaper ? In south texas for a 1 bed room apartment your looking at 700-900 a month. For my 3 bedroom house in a normal neighborhood i pay 1400 a month for 1300 square feet, and i have one of the cheaper houses.

And you think uncle sam is taking less from peoples checks ? No he is now taking more, you think taxes is going down ? No its going up, you think foods getting cheaper ? No its getting more expensive.

I know i know this has been the theme for years and years. But my whole point is it is un fair to compare someone working at Mcdonalds work ethic and motivation making 7$ an hour to an athlete who makes 500K-10Million + a year.

I see other people's finances for a living so I have more than enough experiance looking over what people make and spend. People do live on credit and this exactly what I said about living paycheck to paycheck. There is a disconnect between more money and drive to do more work as has already been pointed out above

HJam72
02-23-2014, 09:24 AM
My theory is the NFL is full of world-class athletic UN-professionals.

infantrycak
02-23-2014, 09:33 AM
My theory is the NFL is full of world-class athletic UN-professionals.

Which is really what I think his point was just expressed differently.

fiasco west
02-23-2014, 06:10 PM
I agree with this 100%. Even more so for NBA players.

I'd say even less so. Basketball is a sport dedicated around skill. Guys like Lebron are genetic freaks but that means nothing if he can't dribble the ball, have court vision, and shoot the ball.

You can't get by in the NBA just by being athletically gifted, not AT ALL. You actually have to have skill and that takes work to acquire and maintain. Hell some guys are superstars and aren't athletic at all in Basketball. Lazy guys are usually phased out of the NBA sooner or later and it begins to show on the court.

Football is so much about instinct and just being athletic.

EllisUnit
02-23-2014, 07:37 PM
I see other people's finances for a living so I have more than enough experiance looking over what people make and spend. People do live on credit and this exactly what I said about living paycheck to paycheck. There is a disconnect between more money and drive to do more work as has already been pointed out above

Fact is if i tell someone they will make 100K a year if they do a good job but they have to continue to perform otherwise i will give their job to someone who will. Or i tell the same thing to someone and tell them i will pay them 20K a year. WHO do you think will perform their job better ?

I know a lot of these NFL players take what they make for granted but they should all realize just how lucky they are to be making what they make to play a game.

2012Champs
02-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Fact is if i tell someone they will make 100K a year if they do a good job but they have to continue to perform otherwise i will give their job to someone who will. Or i tell the same thing to someone and tell them i will pay them 20K a year. WHO do you think will perform their job better ?

I know a lot of these NFL players take what they make for granted but they should all realize just how lucky they are to be making what they make to play a game.

It depends on the person some people will have the same high level performance no matter what you pay them and likewise some will have the same low level performance no matter the pay. We are getting far off track and my response was only targeted at your paycheck to paycheck comment

Mr teX
02-24-2014, 10:21 AM

But that's not the money dictating work ethic, it's that person's personal situation that dictates that. I would've killed to have a job paying me 20K while i was in college (let alone 100K) where all they asked in return was for me to do a "good" job....Now 10 years out in my chosen field, I'd slap someone if they tried to offer me anything less than what my field demands. Same person, same work ethic, different personal situation.

Regardless of the situation though, i still wasn't going to be putting in a 100% world class job every single day...Human nature was going to eventually settle in & i'd find myself on texanstalk.com messageboard posting about the texans #1 pick & games.......:user: or spending large amounts of time every other day doing something not pertaining to my job....like most people, let alone folks who get paid 6 figures & up to play a damn game.

Double Barrel
02-24-2014, 11:31 AM

Are you going to suffer lifelong injuries and potential dementia from your brain being continuously damaged at your job?

It's a free market economy. Begrudging what someone else makes in a capitalistic system is just another version of class envy/warfare.

I'm throwing the bull**** flag. Bentley didn't even know 80% of the players in the league. Before his career was cut short he played on apathetic crappy Saints teams.. Now I do believe 80% of that team was sand bagging it.. Especially in the big easy.

Good points. I have a hard time believing his nice round numbers (i.e. 75% 80%).

If he has conducted an actual study that can be verified and scrutinized, I'd like to see it. Otherwise, he's generalizing a group of athletes because they do conform to his perceptions and perspectives.

It is too competitive of a league to be complacent. There is always someone waiting in the wings to take your job. Acting like 4 out of 5 players are sand bagging it just seems disingenuous and a bit dishonest.

bah007
02-24-2014, 12:40 PM
I laugh when I listen to people complain about athletes' salaries as they are standing in line to buy a ticket..