PDA

View Full Version : Later Round Gems?

kiwitexansfan
02-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Just wanted to start a thread for those guys who won't get the attention to have a full thread dedicated to them but are intriguing guys that it would be good to get some more info/opinions on.

The guy I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on is Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State LINK (http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/12/18/2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report-cornelius-lucas-ot-kansas-state/)

Projected as a 4th-6th rounder.

Huge physical specimen, good feet, great pass blocker.

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee441/b_moller/hi-res-6920990_display_image_zps00f1d38f.jpg

TheIronDuke
02-03-2014, 04:26 PM
I'd love to have Jimmie Ward, safety, from Northern Illinois.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/502568/jimmie-ward

kiwitexansfan
02-03-2014, 04:28 PM
I'd love to have Jimmie Ward, safety, from Northern Illinois.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/502568/jimmie-ward

I think Ward is getting a lot of love at the moment. Seems like a genuine modern safety prospect.

Wonder if he is slowly creeping up the boards and if he would last to 4:1

TexansFTW
02-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Just wanted to start a thread for those guys who won't get the attention to have a full thread dedicated to them but are intriguing guys that it would be good to get some more info/opinions on.

The guy I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on is Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State LINK (http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/12/18/2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report-cornelius-lucas-ot-kansas-state/)

Huge is an understatement. I actually think he might be too big for his own good. You gotta be real special, like Jonathan Ogden special, to move around at 6'8 at the NFL level and have any success.

I would not be surprised if this dude dips into the 7th come draft day and released 2 years later.

Although he could be absolutely amazing and make me look real dumb, you never know.

kiwitexansfan
02-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Huge is an understatement. I actually think he might be too big for his own good. You gotta be real special, like Jonathan Ogden special, to move around at 6'8 at the NFL level and have any success.

I would not be surprised if this dude dips into the 7th come draft day and released 2 years later.

Although he could be absolutely amazing and make me look real dumb, you never know.

Yeah, leverage is an issue, but they say he has the feet.

Size with good feet just intrigues me as a pass protector. He may struggle to shift people in the run game, but this is a passing league now...

We could just draft him as a TE prospect..... :kitten:

Honoring Earl 34
02-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Yeah, leverage is an issue, but they say he has the feet.

Size with good feet just intrigues me as a pass protector. He may struggle to shift people in the run game, but this is a passing league now...

We could just draft him as a TE prospect..... :kitten:

What about Joe Don Duncan TE ?

kiwitexansfan
02-04-2014, 05:26 PM
What about Joe Don Duncan TE ?

I'd love some more informed opinion on him.

I have mocked him to the Texans late quite a few times based on what I read about him but I don't see enough game tape, or have the evaluative skills to really be critical.

Ask me to evaluate a footballer (round ball football) or a rugby league player though and 60% of the time, I am right everytime.

TexansFTW
02-04-2014, 06:53 PM
I'd love some more informed opinion on him.

I have mocked him to the Texans late quite a few times based on what I read about him but I don't see enough game tape, or have the evaluative skills to really be critical.

Ask me to evaluate a footballer (round ball football) or a rugby league player though and 60% of the time, I am right everytime.

Let's go All Blacks!

aussie_texan
02-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Let's go All Blacks!

you are now on my hit list :aggressive:

kiwitexansfan
02-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Let's go All Blacks!

Appreciate your enthusiasm :)

However wrong rugby code, league is the one that Australia is good at.

Rugby Union is a horrid festering turd of a sport.

drs23
02-04-2014, 07:50 PM

Truer words were never tapped.

Not this prospect specifically, but any other fill in the blank guys.

At this point no one REALLY knows.

One more paragraph since GP isn't here. :)

Marshall
02-04-2014, 07:54 PM

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee441/b_moller/hi-res-6920990_display_image_zps00f1d38f.jpg

If he's all that, why is he only projected 4-6? Does he have a problem blocking for the run?

kiwitexansfan
02-04-2014, 07:59 PM
If he's all that, why is he only projected 4-6? Does he have a problem blocking for the run?

He has some issues generating push in the run game yes.

Defenders have shown ability to get into his pads and he lacks a bit of technique to maintain leverage.... but that is what you have coaching for.

drs23
02-04-2014, 08:06 PM

Defenders have shown ability to get into his pads and he lacks a bit of technique to maintain leverage.... but that is what you have coaching for.

Are we sure we have those in place now? I really hope so. I'm comfy with all the coaching hires so far other than the OL guy. O'Brien din't get his first choice.

Really wouldn't effect him though since it'll be Koller in his ear.

Marshall
02-04-2014, 08:07 PM

Is there reason to believe he hasn't been coached up to this point? Is he new to football?

kiwitexansfan
02-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Is there reason to believe he hasn't been coached up to this point? Is he new to football?

That wasn't NFL coaching.

All you here at the senior bowl is how the NFL coaches spend all their time teaching the basics.

steelbtexan
02-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Jordan Najvar, Talented but oft injured

Demetri Goodson, Former BB player, supremely athletic, has skills needs experience.

Zack Kerr, Big guy who moves well, played against lower lever of comp, Played well in East-West game.

Jay Bromley- reminds me of Geno Atkins, has abilty to convert power into speed. Playmaker.

thetexanator
02-04-2014, 10:58 PM
charles sims. guy could be a starter in the league. can run and catch. if picked up after 3rd rd, id say hes a steal

leebigeztx
02-04-2014, 11:21 PM
charles sims. guy could be a starter in the league. can run and catch. if picked up after 3rd rd, id say hes a steal

That's the wvu rb, right? I like him a lot.

bah007
02-05-2014, 09:57 AM
By late round I'm assuming you mean rounds 5-7. These are some guys who are projected that area who I think are underrated.

Jeremy Gallon - WR, 5th or 6th round
Jordan Najvar - TE, 6th round
Spencer Long - OG, 5th round
Kenny Anunike - DE, 5th round
Chris Whaley - DT, 6th or 7th round
Derrick Hopkins - DT, 6th round
Shaquil Barrett - ILB, 6th or 7th round
Jeremiah George - ILB, 6th or 7th round
Jabari Price - CB, 6th round
Phillip Gaines - CB, 7th round
Tre Boston - FS, 5th or 6th round
Alden Darby - FS, 5th round

NCTexan
02-05-2014, 10:04 AM

I was talking to a DT on the team the other day and he said that Boston's agent is telling him 3rd right now.

I think he goes 3rd or 4th personally.

bah007
02-05-2014, 10:08 AM
I was talking to a DT on the team the other day and he said that Boston's agent is telling him 3rd right now.

I think he goes 3rd or 4th personally.

I have him rated as a late 3rd/early 4th. I really like him.

I just listed the ranking I'm seeing floating around.

thetexanator
02-05-2014, 01:25 PM
That's the wvu rb, right? I like him a lot.

wvu rb. transferred there from uh. guy is built, plays fast and can do lots of things. not sure about his speed though, the combine speed could make or break him.

badboy
02-05-2014, 05:46 PM
By late round I'm assuming you mean rounds 5-7. These are some guys who are projected that area who I think are underrated.

Alden Darby - FS, 5th roundI like Gallon and have mocked Gaines in 7th for a while should be real steal. Like Boston also but cannot understand why he has fallen?

Wolf6151
02-09-2014, 02:53 AM
I like:

James Morris-ILB
Caleb Lavey-ILB
Max Bullough-ILB
Marcel Jensen-TE
Jordan Najvar-TE
Deandre Coleman-DT/DE
Bruce Gaston-DT/NT
Beau Allen-DT/NT
Hakeem Smith-SS
Kenny Ladler-FS
Tre Boston-FS
Nickoe Whitley-FS, but he's an injury concern

texan_joe
02-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Jordan Navjar-TE-Baylor
Isaiah Crowell-RB-Alabama St.
James Morris-LB-Iowa
Jaylen Watkins-CB-Florida

All these guy I think could be had between 4-7. Out of these 4 I'd be most excited by Crowell. The guy has 1st round talent, his downfall was 2 felony weapons charges while he was at Georgia. Those charges were eventually dropped.
I know the Texans don't usually go for that type of character, but maybe with O'Brian being a N.E. guy where they didn't really mind those kind of players, maybe he can convince them to take a chance on Crowell in the 6th.

TexansFTW
02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Jordan Navjar-TE-Baylor
Isaiah Crowell-RB-Alabama St.
James Morris-LB-Iowa
Jaylen Watkins-CB-Florida

All these guy I think could be had between 4-7. Out of these 4 I'd be most excited by Crowell. The guy has 1st round talent, his downfall was 2 felony weapons charges while he was at Georgia. Those charges were eventually dropped.
I know the Texans don't usually go for that type of character, but maybe with O'Brian being a N.E. guy where they didn't really mind those kind of players, maybe he can convince them to take a chance on Crowell in the 6th.

lol, it didn't really work out for them in NE just turning a blind eye and realizing you have just given a serial killer millions of dollars.

texan_joe
02-10-2014, 06:51 PM
lol, it didn't really work out for them in NE just turning a blind eye and realizing you have just given a serial killer millions of dollars.

Yeah. I guess I could've used a better example. I was going more of the Patriots bringing in free agents that had checkered backgrounds and it working out for Belichek. Dillon, Moss, etc. I have no idea why Aaron Hernandez didn't cross my mind, any way we could just forget the whole above comment?

TexansFTW
02-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Yeah. I guess I could've used a better example. I was going more of the Patriots bringing in free agents that had checkered backgrounds and it working out for Belichek. Dillon, Moss, etc. I have no idea why Aaron Hernandez didn't cross my mind, any way we could just forget the whole above comment?

lol. I got your point, but nonetheless, it is forgotten.

steelbtexan
02-10-2014, 09:25 PM

The Pats made it to 2 SB's with Hernandez. I'd say it worked out pretty well.

Give me 2 SB's and a little bad PR any day.

TexansFTW
02-10-2014, 09:30 PM
The Pats made it to 2 SB's with Hernandez. I'd say it worked out pretty well.

Give me 2 SB's and a little bad PR any day.

Hah, I hear what you're saying. I'm pretty sure he was a rookie in 2010 just FYI, so that would only be one. Tom Brady had a lot to do w/ it as well, but I hear you.

mussop
02-12-2014, 03:08 PM

Alden Darby - FS, 5th round

I like Gaines. Think he could be a real good nickel.
Zumwalt ILB
Hart DE
Jackson ILB
Andrews RB

mussop
02-16-2014, 02:22 AM
DT Mike Pennel; Colorado State - Pueblo; 6-3, 365
OG Conor Boffeli; Iowa, 6-3, 295

PHILLYTEXANFAN
02-19-2014, 09:34 AM
FS Kenny Ladler: Vanderbilt
6'0 200 lbs
First team All-SEC

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e9x6p-_qLlI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3De9x6p-_qLlI

Your man... Pots and pans

texan_joe
02-20-2014, 03:12 PM
FS Kenny Ladler: Vanderbilt
6'0 200 lbs
First team All-SEC

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e9x6p-_qLlI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3De9x6p-_qLlI

Your man... Pots and pans

I love Kenny Ladler. I would love for the Texans to nab him in a later round, but he's not gonna drop out of the 3rd. I think after the combine he is really gonna start moving up the charts.

rmartin65
02-21-2014, 10:12 PM
I think John Urschel is an interesting interior line prospect. I saying that a certain team will draft player x because their former coach is the head coach, but I could see Urschel as our 6th or 7th rounder.