PDA

View Full Version : What I took away from Super Bowl related to Texans

gafftop
02-03-2014, 10:00 AM
In no particular order:
* Seattle's D dominated the Broncos O. It seems the Texans are weaker on D than O generally speaking. Is defense more important than offense in being a great team, if so may be a waste to use 1st pick on QB. Now did the Seattle D dominate because Peyton is a statue and is not able to extend play kind of like MS?

*I think you need "some" mobility in a QB. Someone who can create, extend the play, and then make the throw. The Qb may only extend and make 2-3 plays a game but those plays could easily be the difference between a W or L.
Of course the QB must play smart and protect the ball. See Russell Wilson.

*As an organization/GM understand that you really don't know what you have in a player until you have them on your team. (Or at least you hope your coaching staff can evaluate the player without prejudice.) Your job is to get the best players on the team that gives you a chance to win. Don't be afraid to have player turnover. Don't let your ego on insecurity determine who plays or is even on the team. Open your eyes and evaluate your players honestly. Keep your personal relationship with them out of the evaluation. Football is not all physical skills, a players heart may be more important. The Seahawks turned over players more than any other team in the NFL. Don't know where Texans ranked. High draft choices don't guarantee success.

*The above may lead to the idea that if your are able to get multiple picks for the first draft pick you may want to get more picks because you really don't know what you may get especially in a QB and maybe a good D trumps (more important) a good QB.

*Experience is way over rated. You don't need a wise old broken down veteran to pass on his knowledge. I think good coaching should do this. If you feel you need to bring someone in like this you need new coaches. Experience is important but you still must have the physical ability to make the plays.

Concerns I have based on above
*Brown seems to lean towards statue type QB. I really don't know this but just my concern.
*I think the Texans over rate their defense. How did the Texans perform against Peyton vs how the Seahawks performed.
*Don't have confidence in GM.
*Brown is a huge unknown. Inherited a 9-4 team and led them to 8-4 and 7-5. I know all about the situation.

ziggy29
02-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Every time I saw Russell Wilson extend a play with his mobility and then make good decisions with the ball, turning what would have often been a sack or a pick with Texans QBs into a gain or (at worse) a thrown away incompeltion, I just wanted to throw up. That is *exactly* the kind of QB play the Texans desperately need but have never seemed to find.

Nitrofish
02-03-2014, 10:10 AM
In no particular order:
* Seattle's D dominated the Broncos O. It seems the Texans are weaker on D than O generally speaking. Is defense more important than offense in being a great team, if so may be a waste to use 1st pick on QB. Now did the Seattle D dominate because Peyton is a statue and is not able to extend play kind of like MS?

*I think you need "some" mobility in a QB. Someone who can create, extend the play, and then make the throw. The Qb may only extend and make 2-3 plays a game but those plays could easily be the difference between a W or L.

*As an organization/GM understand that you really don't know what you have in a player until you have them on your team. (Or at least you hope your coaching staff can evaluate the player without prejudice.) Your job is to get the best players on the team that gives you a chance to win. Don't be afraid to have player turnover. Don't let your ego on insecurity determine who plays or is even on the team. Open your eyes and evaluate your players honestly. Keep your personal relationship with them out of the evaluation. Football is not all physical skills, a players heart may be more important. The Seahawks turned over players more than any other team in the NFL. Don't know where Texans ranked. High draft choices don't guarantee success.

*The above may lead to the idea that if your are able to get multiple picks for the first draft pick you may want to get more picks because you really don't know what you may get especially in a QB and maybe a good D trumps (more important) a good QB.

*Experience is way over rated. You don't need a wise old broken down veteran to pass on his knowledge. I think good coaching should do this. If you feel you need to bring someone in like this you need new coaches. Experience is important but you still must have the physical ability to make the plays.

*Brown seems to lean towards statue type QB. I really don't know this but just my concern.
*I think the Texans over rate their defense. How did the Texans perform against Peyton vs how the Seahawks performed.
*Brown is a huge unknown. Inherited a 9-4 team and led them to 8-4 and 7-5. I know all about the situation.

Of course you need experience, don't be silly. Those coaches are all "Broken Down" old guys who once played too you know.

This game had nothing to do with Russel Wilson's ability to extend plays. It was a cluster f*ck from the first snap, and the Broncos just kept sliding into the abyss from then on.

The Seahawks D, and the Broncos offense not showing up is what happened, I don't think you can draw any more conclusions than that.

Just for the record. Matt Schaub was shredding that Seahawks D when the Texans played them. Made them look awful. In that game however it WAS Wilson's ability to make plays with his legs that changed the outcome of that game, or rather, our D's inability to contain Wilson and being undisciplined in their pass rushing. Then the inability of Phillips to make adjustments to what Wilson was doing.

TheIronDuke
02-03-2014, 10:17 AM
We have to upgrade our secondary if you want a defense anywhere near what Seattle does. They're finding All-Pro corners in the fifth round and we're getting a serviceable corner in the first and paying out the butt for another corner who's also only serviceable and using a second on a back-up nickel. They have safeties that are leagues better than anything we've ever seen and we have Bernard Pollard 2.0 who we blew a second on, and spent a king's ransom on a dinosaur-aged hobo who was a cancer in the locker room.

What I took away from the game was not that we don't need a QB or that he can't be a pocket passer. I also didn't take away the fact that freaking Matt Schaub is good because he had a good half of football against them and forgot that he threw a pick-6 to them. We still need a QB and we need a friggin GM who can actually draft and not piss away picks on garbage players like Swearinger, Brooks Reed, Brandon Harris, and all the other crap we see at LB and in the secondary.

TL/DR: Rick Smith sucks.

DX-TEX
02-03-2014, 10:25 AM
I get all my opinions from twitter!

Defense wins championships!
Draft Clowney!
Get a QB n the 3rd! Worked for Seattle.
reserve Super Bowl tickets now!

Playoffs
02-03-2014, 10:25 AM
My takeaway, don't underestimate the importance of your center...

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/b9sU6KGcWY_XLxdiT6zCBw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTQyMTtweG9mZj01MDtweW 9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz03NDk-/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2014-02-02/f3cc0061-5051-4ad4-924d-0a6430770c67_466626627.jpg

Omaha, Oh-ma-haaaa!

DX-TEX
02-03-2014, 10:27 AM
http://i.imgur.com/PU4aUUu.gif

revan
02-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Plain and simple, the GM is the reason for that superbowl. Finding talent in the later rounds with guys who played with heart and passion is what won this for them. Sure they will have a hard time retaining them all when they are due their pay day but I have to hand it to the GM for finding this sort of talent at a low cost and going all the way.

ziggy29
02-03-2014, 10:29 AM
This game had nothing to do with Russel Wilson's ability to extend plays. It was a cluster f*ck from the first snap, and the Broncos just kept sliding into the abyss from then on.

To the extent you mean "it didn't change the outcome of the game," sure. Denver was outmanned and outgunned at pretty much every position. But there were plenty of plays where, with Schaub, Yates or Keenum at QB, we would have seen a sack or an interception under pressure, even as Wilson bought time with his legs and eventually made good decision after good decision during the game. It *does* make a big difference in an otherwise relatively close game.

The game may have been a train wreck and Seattle would have still won with a less-than-average performance by Wilson, given their defense and Denver's self-destruction, but it is still something the Texans badly need and turns highly negative plays into good ones, or at least less bad ones (throwing it away incomplete).

Still, Manning, on the other hand, rarely had time. He made bad decisions forced by the pressure and I don't think I've ever seen him check down that much.

HOU-TEX
02-03-2014, 10:30 AM
We have to upgrade our secondary if you want a defense anywhere near what Seattle does. They're finding All-Pro corners in the fifth round and we're getting a serviceable corner in the first and paying out the butt for another corner who's also only serviceable and using a second on a back-up nickel. They have safeties that are leagues better than anything we've ever seen and we have Bernard Pollard 2.0 who we blew a second on, and spent a king's ransom on a dinosaur-aged hobo who was a cancer in the locker room.

What I took away from the game was not that we don't need a QB. I also didn't take away the fact that freaking Matt Schaub is good because he had a good half of football against them and forgot that he threw a pick-6 to them. We still need a QB and we need a friggin GM who can actually draft and not piss away picks on garbage players like Swearinger, Brooks Reed, Brandon Harris, and all the other crap we see at LB and in the secondary.

TL/DR: Rick Smith sucks.

I definitely agree that their secondary's just sick. I don't think I've ever seen such a great combination come together like they've had. Granted, they get away with a boatload of holding, but they're dang good.

I'm not sold on Smith either, but with that said, the previous coaching staff was rumored to have had too much of an influence on the draft. Or at least that might be what he's selling to McNair. To me, he's merely a yes man.

Don't give up on Swearinger yet. I was one of his biggest critics, but he's young and talented. Hopefully he'll become more than just a box safety

TheIronDuke
02-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Don't give up on Swearinger yet. I was one of his biggest critics, but he's young and talented. Hopefully he'll become more than just a box safety

Yeah I should but he really looked like complete crap at the end of the season and also showed that he's emotionally immature and prone to stupid penalties. I do hope he improves beyond a box safety as well. Time will tell.

badboy
02-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Select quality cuts of meat, season properly, apply correct heat, add condiments of your choice and watch your guests enjoy your efforts. Of course there will always be a vegan at the table.

houstonspartan
02-03-2014, 10:48 AM
In no particular order:

I'm confused. Who is Brown? And what situation do you know about that you are referring to? I'm lost.

Dutchrudder
02-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Hmmmmm... Thread title claims it's about the Texans, but the OP doesn't know the name of the current Texans Headcoach...

infantrycak
02-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Yeah I should but he really looked like complete crap at the end of the season and also showed that he's emotionally immature and prone to stupid penalties. I do hope he improves beyond a box safety as well. Time will tell.

Well if you had been watching Chancellor's rookie season you would have seen jack because he barely made the field except on ST.

Let's remember Chancellor is in his 4th year.

Mr. Texan
02-03-2014, 11:04 AM
the seahawks defense held the "greatest offense of all time" to 8 points while scoring 9 from a safety and a pick 6.

meanwhile our defense gives up 6 passing touchdowns and back-to-back 40 point games to elite qb's.

if our defense and special teams was that good we wouldn't even need talk about schaub.

so much for the theory that you need to win a shootout to beat these elite qb's in this new era.

so much for the thoery that you need an "elite" qb to win a super bowl in this new era.

hope bill o'brien can draft well and bring in some great defensive players with ATHLETICISM and pick up a qb in the later rounds.

not to mention bring a little swagger to this team. that's the main thing i'm jealous of the seahawks.

call em cocky, call em arrogant, call em douche bags. whatever. but i'd take that mentality over the country club culture kubiak had when he was here.

JB
02-03-2014, 11:14 AM
I'm confused. Who is Brown? And what situation do you know about that you are referring to? I'm lost.

Exactly what I took away from his post :confused:

infantrycak
02-03-2014, 11:14 AM
if our defense and special teams was that good we wouldn't even need talk about schaub.

so much for the theory that you need to win a shootout to beat these elite qb's in this new era.

so much for the thoery that you need an "elite" qb to win a super bowl in this new era.

All you are doing is swapping one "need an elite" for a different "need an elite."

ziggy29
02-03-2014, 11:15 AM
not to mention bring a little swagger to this team. that's the main thing i'm jealous of the seahawks.

call em cocky, call em arrogant, call em douche bags. whatever. but i'd take that mentality over the country club culture kubiak had when he was here.

To some degree, yes, but IMO it can be overdone. If "my team" became too cocky, too arrogant, too trash-talking, had too much swagger, it would become a lot harder for me to root for them.

Mr. Texan
02-03-2014, 11:18 AM
All you are doing is swapping one "need an elite" for a different "need an elite."

i've always felt it's "easier" to build an elite defense than find an elite qb.

a defense can be built with time. qb's are just a complete lottery crapshoot.

gafftop
02-03-2014, 11:25 AM

Obviously I am too. O' Brien thank you

gafftop
02-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Of course you need experience, don't be silly. Those coaches are all "Broken Down" old guys who once played too you know.

My point exactly.

infantrycak
02-03-2014, 11:41 AM
i've always felt it's "easier" to build an elite defense than find an elite qb.

a defense can be built with time. qb's are just a complete lottery crapshoot.

Four truly elite Ds stick out - '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, '02 Bucs, '13 Seahawks.

In that same period at least 15 SBs have been won by HoF or future HoF QBs.

ziggy29
02-03-2014, 11:51 AM
LOL -- I was going to add the '02 Bucs until you edited into your post....

Mr. Texan
02-03-2014, 11:51 AM

and a ton of other great defenisve teams without elite qb's made it the super bowl and had a chance.

ziggy29
02-03-2014, 11:58 AM
and a ton of other great defenisve teams without elite qb's made it the super bowl and had a chance.

Phil Simms was a good QB but I would not call him "elite" -- but his '86 and '90 Giants teams certainly had elite defenses.

Still, Simms isn't in the same category as McMahon, Dilfer or Brad Johnson. And the jury is still out on the '13 Seahawks, since in retrospect we may come to view Wilson as elite over time. After all, Brady wasn't yet elite by most folks after his first SB win but no one today would say that game wasn't won by an elite QB.

cstyle42
02-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Plain and simple, the GM is the reason for that superbowl. Finding talent in the later rounds with guys who played with heart and passion is what won this for them. Sure they will have a hard time retaining them all when they are due their pay day but I have to hand it to the GM for finding this sort of talent at a low cost and going all the way.

True. This GM put all favoritism, prejudice and good ol boy thinking to the side and found good to great undervalued players. Lots of players that have that pure street toughness to look you straight in the eyes and punch the living shat out of you then classlessly talk trash while kicking you while your down no matter how big of a lead there is or how many seconds are left on the clock. The Texans need that badly... I like and value the pure good natured players but we must have the good and bad ones all in one. When this happens along with better leadership which you also will have automatically when this is done... now your ready to contend.

thunderkyss
02-03-2014, 12:11 PM
My take away is that teams win Super Bowls.

I got the feeling that the Seahawks went into the game thinking it's "one for all & all for one" & they came out playing like it.

Denver on the other hand were hoping Manning would carry them through... this is just a feeling I had as I watched the game. Things started going "bad" for Peyton & the team was deflated.

I also think this same dynamic won the Patriots first three Super Bowls with Brady, the Steelers Super Bowl with Ben (the first one) & the Packers Super Bowl. Yeah, Brady, & Ben are "great" QBs now, but they weren't when they were winning Super Bowls. Now that they are riding Brady & Ben to the next Super Bowl... it's just not happening.

Rodgers was pretty darn good when he won, but that whole team played at a high level.

We need a QB, I'm not saying any different. But there's a culture that we're going to need instilled on our team to win the Super Bowl. I can see guys on this team to help get us there (man I wish Demeco & Glover were still here), but we're going to need that QB. He's going to have to be a leader, but he's also going to have to be a part of the team.

If that makes any sense.

Mr. Texan
02-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Brady wasn't yet elite by most folks after his first SB win but no one today would say that game wasn't won by an elite QB.

i would.

brady had an 87 passer rating throughout the regular season after he took over for bledsoe.

the patriots won in 2001 because of their defense and maybe cameras...j/k.

in the playoffs they held the raiders to 13 points, steelers to 17 points, and arguably the greatest offense of all time to 17 points.

brady was 16/27 for 145 yards with 1 TD and 0 INT's in the super bowl.

brady of course went on to be an elite qb but he was alex smith status that year.

thunderkyss
02-03-2014, 12:25 PM

Who the heck is Brown?

Double Barrel
02-03-2014, 12:26 PM
There is a lot to take away from the Seahawks championship and how they built this team.

I think one of the under the radar moves was the gutsy call to not let the FO make decisions about the roster and who is starting. Most teams would have forced Matt Flynn with the huge contract. Instead, they allowed the HC and staff to pick who they thought gave them the best chance to win, and that was a 3rd round rookie. They did not let salaries determine anything, but instead let the QBs truly compete for the job.

And it's obvious the Seahawks FO is just as much a cohesive team as the one they field. Having the scouting department and personnel people put together a roster that competes at such a high level while allowing the players to maintain their individuality should be a lesson to all those 'old school' coaches who try to force players into their methods and systems.

And the Seahawks also confirmed the old saying "defenses win championship" can still be valid in this day and age of offense-happy league policy and rules. To see one of the greatest offenses in the history of the game being led by one of the greatest QBs ever and have them dismantled and dominated was refreshing to this fan of defense.

thunderkyss
02-03-2014, 12:32 PM

It's more than that. Not only is it finding that talent, but it's getting the most out of them from Day 1 & not losing them because of the cap or whatever.

Demeco, Winston, Briesel, Quinn, Demps, Barwin, Casey, Dressen, Jacoby, Mario..... all guys we could've & probably should've done better with.

We've already lost Schaub's best years as well.

Allstar
02-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Our front office is playing Checkers while Seattle's is Bobby Fischer

ObsiWan
02-03-2014, 01:15 PM

The first one that comes to my mind was Strahan's '07 Giants. They defeated Tampa (Jon Gruden & Jeff Garcia), Dallas (Romo), Green Bay (Brett Favre), and 18-0 New England (Brady, like Manning this year, was at the head of the offensive juggernaut of the time).

I gotta think they were playing at a pretty high defensive level to go thru all three of those QBs to make it to the SB. ...did I mention they won them on the road? And then to beat the - at the time - the most high-powered offense ever! Yeah, for that playoff run they were playing some outstanding defense.

ObsiWan
02-03-2014, 01:28 PM
True. This GM put all favoritism, prejudice and good ol boy thinking to the side and found good to great undervalued players. Lots of players that have that pure street toughness to look you straight in the eyes and punch the living shat out of you then classlessly talk trash while kicking you while your down no matter how big of a lead there is or how many seconds are left on the clock. The Texans need that badly... I like and value the pure good natured players but we must have the good and bad ones all in one. When this happens along with better leadership which you also will have automatically when this is done... now your ready to contend.

I wonder how much of the selection process - finding these "good-to-great undervalued players" - as you say, was due to the fact they needed to pay Matt Flynn vs. having a GM with superb bargin basement shopping skillz.

Personally, I think it was Pete Carroll's unorthodox coaching philosophy and his top notch scouting staff as much as it was anything the GM did. I mean who has an "up for grabs" day every week; where anyone can claim your spot if they outplay you at practice?? Who else does that?!

I mean, everyone CLAIMS they'll put the best 22 on the field but what that often translates to is we're gonna put the highest paid/highest drafted 22 on the field. Seattle actually puts the best 22 on the field no matter how much/how little they make or where they were selected in the draft or F/A process.

infantrycak
02-03-2014, 01:29 PM
The first one that comes to my mind was Strahan's '07 Giants. They defeated Tampa (Jon Gruden & Jeff Garcia), Dallas (Romo), Green Bay (Brett Favre), and 18-0 New England (Brady, like Manning this year, was at the head of the offensive juggernaut of the time).

I gotta think they were playing at a pretty high defensive level to go thru all three of those QBs to make it to the SB. ...did I mention they won them on the road? And then to beat the - at the time - the most high-powered offense ever! Yeah, for that playoff run they were playing some outstanding defense.

All true. Just for an added piece of info as teams get suggested I'll add a measure of QB contribution - post-season QB TDs/INTs

2013 Seahawks - Wilson 3 TDs/0 INTs
2007 Giants - Eli 6 TDs/1 INT
2002 Bucs - Johnson 5 TDs/3 INTs
2000 Ravens - Dilfer 3 TDs/1 INT
1985 Bears - McMahon 3 TDs/0 INTs

So far the 2007 Giants got the most out of their QB.

MightyTExan
02-03-2014, 01:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/PU4aUUu.gif

http://i.imgur.com/7mZXA09.gif

texan_joe
02-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Seattle's entire success on defense is because of the back end. Their secondary is so lockdown that it makes the front sevens job simple. Everyone in the secondary brings something different to the table , but it works. Earl Thomas was the only first rounder of the bunch. Talent can be found at any point in the draft which is something the Texans haven't been all that bad at but could do better. Quarterback is the single most important position not just in football, but in all of sports in my opinion. Seattle won because of their D, but Russell Wilson was damn good after the 1st quarter.You need at least a GOOD quarterback to succeed. That's something we need. We need to draft a QB #1. I personally believe Teddy Bridgewater will be the best in this class and definitely has a chance to be a top tier QB. His skill set is comparable to Aaron Rodgers. We can build our D from there. I think we will be good with Swearinger but we need that ballhawk at safety. I was still pretty good with K-Jack coming in to this last season and I still might be if we can upgrade the other si de. I love J-JO, but injuries have caught up with him. Our front seven is a fairly easy fix in my opinion. We aren't as far off as others seem to think.

drs23
02-03-2014, 01:37 PM
I just hope like hell Rick Smith and O'brown will work together as closely as the 'Hawks management for the team.

Norg
02-03-2014, 01:53 PM
over the past few years tho pocket passing QB's have been the only type of qb's winning SB

Manning
Eli
Eli
Big ben
Big ben
Flacco
Brady
brady
brady
Rodgers
Breees
Trent dilfer
brad Johnson

so Russell last name Wilson imma kinda glad he won now he threw a monkey wrench in that hole thing I think if u have a rookie game manger type qb and a super strong DEF that can work has well

thunderkyss
02-03-2014, 02:07 PM
over the past few years tho pocket passing QB's have been the only type of qb's winning SB

Manning
Eli
Eli
Big ben
Big ben
Flacco
Brady
brady
brady
Rodgers
Breees
Trent dilfer
brad Johnson

so Russell last name Wilson imma kinda glad he won now he threw a monkey wrench in that hole thing I think if u have a rookie game manger type qb and a super strong DEF that can work has well

Big Ben, & Brees aren't exactly drop back passers in my book & Aaron Rodgers stretches the definition as well.

Norg
02-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Big Ben, & Brees aren't exactly drop back passers in my book & Aaron Rodgers stretches the definition as well.

but there all looking for the pass esp Brees and Rodgers they see the field like Madden I bet like got a key on all 4 of there recivers and are looking to pass and if u notice when the do run around they only run like 6 yards horizontally to the left or right or back

why not fwd that would gain u yards right cus they don't care about petty 4 yard gains

and besides BIg ben brees and Rodgers of course they were running arounda little bit for them 4 or 7 years ago they were still pretty fresh and young

but after Major injuries to BIg ben and Rodgers do u see them running around a lot now ...??? NOPE and if they are running now it because there o lines suck and there running for there lives from DE and OLB

it was the same with Elway and Montana

steelbtexan
02-03-2014, 02:21 PM
I definitely agree that their secondary's just sick. I don't think I've ever seen such a great combination come together like they've had. Granted, they get away with a boatload of holding, but they're dang good.

I'm not sold on Smith either, but with that said, the previous coaching staff was rumored to have had too much of an influence on the draft. Or at least that might be what he's selling to McNair. To me, he's merely a yes man.

Sherman 5th rd
Maxwell 6th rd
Browner UDFA
Chancellor 5th rd
Thomas 1st rd.

Texans under Rick/Gary/Wade

KJ 1st rd
JoJo highly paid FA because the Texans cant draft DB's
McCain- 6th rd
Harris 2nd rd
Swearinger 2nd rd
Manning, See JoJo
Keo 6th rd

This shows how terrible Rick (a former DB) is at picking DB's. Tell me how Rick still has a job? For that matter Bobby Greir?

TheIronDuke
02-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Sherman 5th rd
Maxwell 6th rd
Browner UDFA
Chancellor 5th rd
Thomas 1st rd.

KJ 1st rd
McCain- 6th rd
Harris 2nd rd
Swearinger 2nd rd
Manning, See JoJo
Keo 6th rd

This shows how terrible Rick (a former DB) is at picking DB's. Tell me how Rick still has a job? For that matter Bobby Greir?

Not only that but the only DB he ever did hit on was promptly let go after his rookie contract in order to sign an over-the-hill headcase in Ed Reed!

steelbtexan
02-03-2014, 02:43 PM

^^^^
This

IDEXAN
02-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Manning
Eli
Eli
Big ben
Big ben
Flacco
Brady
brady
brady
Rodgers
Breees
Trent dilfer
brad Johnson

I see several excellent to very outstanding defenses backing that list of QBs which begs the question of which was really more important on those various SB teams ?

Mr. Texan
02-03-2014, 02:50 PM
would rick smith do this?

http://i.imgur.com/C3opRSC.png

Dutchrudder
02-03-2014, 03:10 PM
All true. Just for an added piece of info as teams get suggested I'll add a measure of QB contribution - post-season QB TDs/INTs

2013 Seahawks - Wilson 3 TDs/0 INTs
2007 Giants - Eli 6 TDs/1 INT
2002 Bucs - Johnson 5 TDs/3 INTs
2000 Ravens - Dilfer 3 TDs/1 INT
1985 Bears - McMahon 3 TDs/0 INTs

So far the 2007 Giants got the most out of their QB.

Eli had to play 4 games in 2007 to win the Super Bowl. The others listed only had to play 3 because they had first round byes. So here is the average for each:

Wilson: 1
Eli: 1.5
B Johnson: 1.66
Dilfer: 1

While it's interesting to see, we need more SB winning QBs to gauge how much they really did during the playoffs. Here are a few more just for the heck of it.

Big Ben 2005: 4 games, 7 passing TDs, 2 rushing TDs, 803 yards, 3 INT (2.25 TD per game)
Big Ben 2008: 3 games, 3 TDs, 692 yards, 1 INT (1 TD per game)
A Rodgers 2010: 4 games, 9 passing TDs, 2 rushing TDs, 1094 yards, 2 INT (2.75 TD per game)
Brees 2009: 3 games, 8 TDs, 732 yards, 0 INT (2.66 TD per game)

It seems about 2 TDs per game, maybe a little less, would be the measuring stick used to swing it from great defense to great QB carrying the team.

I think you could make a good case for the 08 Steelers' defense being the reason they won. The James Harrison pick 6 was huge, and then holding that offense to only 23 points was a big win for them. Warner/Fitz/Boldin was a hell of a trio that year.

Dutchrudder
02-03-2014, 03:15 PM

Rick has Bob McNair convinced that he is the reason the team picked JJ Watt, so he got to keep his job for another year or so. If not for that, he would have been shown the door.

gafftop
02-03-2014, 03:37 PM
I just hope like hell Rick Smith and O'brown will work together as closely as the 'Hawks management for the team.

I hope Rick and thank you O'brown are as smart as the hawks.

gafftop
02-03-2014, 03:40 PM

And the head of the front office is still there.

Playoffs
02-03-2014, 03:43 PM
I hope Rick and thank you O'brown are as smart as the hawks.

:hankpalm:

escrimador
02-03-2014, 03:55 PM
...our boys need the Seahawks' adderall supplier :d:

Marshall
02-03-2014, 04:03 PM

I'm older than you.

Doomsday I - Elite and
Doomsday II - Almost Elite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Defense

BTW, Count the number of HOF QB's LOSSES or NEVER GOT THERE'S for a better comparison. Plus, you always attribute a W to the QB when it is often deserved by another. Biased awards do not confirm the validity of the bias.

infantrycak
02-03-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm older than you.

Doomsday I - Elite and
Doomsday II - Almost Elite

I'm well aware of the Doomsday defenses, thank you. You will see them in the balanced teams thread in the NFL forum. The four listed are commonly thought of as having won without a top QB (the Seahawks were only included because of Wilson's youth).

BTW, Count the number of HOF QB's LOSSES or NEVER GOT THERE'S for a better comparison. Plus, you always attribute a W to the QB when it is often deserved by another. Biased awards do not confirm the validity of the bias.

Not a better comparison. It's important to look at the post being responded to which was that it is easier to build a D which can carry a team to success than to find an elite QB to do so. So there is no point citing well balanced teams who had both. I mentioned HoF QBs to get rid of the argument they didn't contribute to the win/weren't elite.

Playoffs
02-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar
Then when he gets paid, like Joe Flacco, you lose cap space to keep the team intact. Hence 8-8 Ravens and 22 INTs.

When you have a young QB, and he wasn't drafted to a bogus Sam Bradford-type deal, it's easier to build a great team around him.

This is the impact of the salary cap. The younger QB has won 11 of the last 13 SBs. Before that, just 12-20 (.375).

14 of the last 15 Super Bowl winners had a quarterback age 30 or younger.

infantrycak
02-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Then when he gets paid, like Joe Flacco, you lose cap space to keep the team intact. Hence 8-8 Ravens and 22 INTs.

When you have a young QB, and he wasn't drafted to a bogus Sam Bradford-type deal, it's easier to build a great team around him.

This is the impact of the salary cap. The younger QB has won 11 of the last 13 SBs. Before that, just 12-20 (.375).

14 of the last 15 Super Bowl winners had a quarterback age 30 or younger.

This would be a lot better substantiated if he looked at it by rookie, 1st, 2nd, etc. contract (or by cap hit). He's associating younger with cheaper and that may not be the case after the rookie contract. For example, younger Big Ben beat older Kurt Warner but Big Ben had the bigger contract.

His point is good if you limit to rookie contracts.

ObsiWan
02-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Sherman 5th rd
Maxwell 6th rd
Browner UDFA
Chancellor 5th rd
Thomas 1st rd.

KJ 1st rd
McCain- 6th rd
Harris 2nd rd
Swearinger 2nd rd
Manning, See JoJo
Keo 6th rd

Seattle is the exception, not the rule.
Why don't you pull up the 49er starters on offense and see how many 1st rounders they have.

I say again, it's the coaches and scouts that beat the bushes and truly find the talent. The GM position, on most NFL teams, is over-rated.
...especially by fans.

leebigeztx
02-03-2014, 04:51 PM
I didn't learn what I already knew. Seahawks have a lot of young,cheap talentg. They have a wave of rushers you have to acct for. This is the closest I've seen since the 90s cowboys. They need to win as many as they can in the nxt 2 yrs. By then wilson,sherman,and tthomas will eat up almost half the cap. They will lose the depth they've attained.

From denver point,injuries hurt their depth. Vickerson,miller,the cb who just got hurt and clady. They will lose decker,but they will draft a guy or give a guy a deal that makes sense.

76Texan
02-03-2014, 05:39 PM

If you go back and inspect all the Super Bowl that had been played out since then, you should see a very different story from the one you came up through simplification.

Seriously!

76Texan
02-03-2014, 05:43 PM
There is a lot to take away from the Seahawks championship and how they built this team.

I think one of the under the radar moves was the gutsy call to not let the FO make decisions about the roster and who is starting. Most teams would have forced Matt Flynn with the huge contract. Instead, they allowed the HC and staff to pick who they thought gave them the best chance to win, and that was a 3rd round rookie. They did not let salaries determine anything, but instead let the QBs truly compete for the job.

And it's obvious the Seahawks FO is just as much a cohesive team as the one they field. Having the scouting department and personnel people put together a roster that competes at such a high level while allowing the players to maintain their individuality should be a lesson to all those 'old school' coaches who try to force players into their methods and systems.

And the Seahawks also confirmed the old saying "defenses win championship" can still be valid in this day and age of offense-happy league policy and rules. To see one of the greatest offenses in the history of the game being led by one of the greatest QBs ever and have them dismantled and dominated was refreshing to this fan of defense.

I'll just add to this the importance of the ST, and the running game.

Like TK and others have said, it usually takes the whole team to win a SB.

Bulls on Parade
02-03-2014, 08:01 PM
I get all my opinions from twitter!

Defense wins championships!
Draft Clowney!
Get a QB n the 3rd! Worked for Seattle.
reserve Super Bowl tickets now!
I'm down on all of those ideas but we can draft a quarterback with the 33rd overall pick and the first selection in round two. We don't necessarily have to wait until the third round. We definitely have to beef up our defense and what better way to do that with the top pick? If we can trade down that works also otherwise I'd be happy taking Jadeveon Clowney. It will make J.J. Watt a happy man. A defense built around a young J.J. Watt, Jadeveon Clowney and Brian Cushing would be a damn good foundation to have in place for the rest of the decade, even better than Seattle's top three defensive players IMO. We'll just have to keep on adding defensive talent as we go.

MojoX
02-03-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm down on all of those ideas but we can draft a quarterback with the 33rd overall pick and the first selection in round two. We don't necessarily have to wait until the third round. We definitely have to beef up our defense and what better way to do that with the top pick? If we can trade down that works also otherwise I'd be happy taking Jadeveon Clowney. It will make J.J. Watt a happy man. A defense built around a young J.J. Watt, Jadeveon Clowney and Brian Cushing would be a damn good foundation to have in place for the rest of the decade, even better than Seattle's top three defensive players IMO. We'll just have to keep on adding defensive talent as we go.

There are fantastic arguments for drafting player X at #1 and targeting position X at #33. I am at the point where I almost don't care. I just want to see scheme fit and player development throughout the draft.

Pete Carroll did a masterful job of developing the players identified by Scheider. While he isn't yelling at players and barking furiously before the cameras, Carroll has done a good job of creating a culture of success.

That D was good in 2011. The QB, and receivers, was the final piece. That D wasn't dependent on a single transcendent talent. Those guys are smart, well-coached and perfect fits for the style they play.

Clowney? Manziel? Bridgewater? Dunno. I look forward to seeing what O'Brien thinks, though. ( And I'll keep track of those players where ever they go, except the Cowboys.)

Can't wait for the combine!

Seegara
02-03-2014, 09:56 PM
I saw the first few minutes and thought: There, but for the disgrace of Smithiak, go the Texans. They could have had Manning, and with him maybe they would have been in the SB.

kiwitexansfan
02-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Did a little research on the Seahawks.

They have 73 players on their roster accoridng to Seahawks.com.

They have had 87 draft picks in the last 10yrs according to wikipedia.

Of those 87 picks, only 30 are still on the roster.

Not sure what it means or how it compares to the league average but thought it was interesting.

gafftop
02-03-2014, 10:38 PM

Not sure what it means or how it compares to the league average but thought it was interesting.

I'm sure others read the article that they have had more changeover than any other team in NFL. I think they are always looking for an upgrade no matter how small. If you stop looking you have no chance of finding possible players that will improve your team. Also some of the starters/backups get "comfortable". Maybe new HC will change this for Texans.

MEGA SWATT
02-04-2014, 12:24 AM

Pete Carroll had intimate knowledge on these obscure late round picks from his college days - heck - he may have been in their homes trying to recruit them for college ball. That is an advantage that will end now that PC is farther removed from college. Maybe Brown errr, O'Brien will have similar tricks.

Marshall
02-04-2014, 07:02 AM
I saw the first few minutes and thought: There, but for the disgrace of Smithiak, go the Texans. They could have had Manning, and with him maybe they would have been in the SB.

Would you rather get humiliated in the Superbowl or fall short of reaching the Superbowl. I know the answer most give and I used to give, but my opinion may be changing.

Big Lou
02-05-2014, 12:31 AM
You know what my take aways from the SB were?

Sometimes teams don't show up to games.

Sometimes, Great teams can play like sh!t.

Some teams don't match up well to other teams.

Sometimes defenses impose their will, sometimes they don't.

Sometimes Elite QB's take over games, sometimes they don't.

You can't quantify the entire NFL in one game.........

sandman
02-05-2014, 09:24 AM

You know what I love about this message board? This particular post gets made after every Super Bowl, no matter what team wins.

Go ahead and insert any winner from the Smith/Kubiak era. I promise you there is post just like this out there in the archives.

gtexan02
02-05-2014, 09:38 AM
My takeaway? Pete Carrol is a genius.
He has somehow managed to have a college atmosphere in the pros and it's working like a charm. Kudos to him and what is possibly one of the greatest superbowl performances I have ever seen

Texanmike02
02-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Trindon Holliday can cost you games with stupid decisions. Taking the ball out on that first possession instead of kneeling it was the difference between a safety and a 2nd and 25.

Everyone fell in love with Seattle's offense for some unknown reason. Until Denver was just lunging trying to dislodge the ball I thought Seattle's offense was pretty bad tbh. 3 trips with outstanding field position yeilded 2 FGs.

Denver looked a lot like we did for an entire season in just one game. I kept thinking "they have too much talent to play this badly for this long" and I still think I was right. There were some horrible bounces that cost Denver dearly and some stupid plays (Thomas fumble, punt return) and once Seattle was up by 21 pts you knew that Denver had to take huge risks to try to get back into the game.

Manning will be back along with 3/5 of his offensive line (we should try to sign Unger cause I'm pretty sure Manning put a pink slip on his locker at half time).

Once every 10 years an unbelievable defense wins a championship. The other 9 go to great QBs.

Mike

ArlingtonTexan
02-05-2014, 01:13 PM

They changed gms 4 or 5 years . His record with late round picks. Has been insane and honestly nearly impossible to maintain. Think 8 or 9 starters of 22 are 4th or later

thunderkyss
02-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Trindon Holliday can cost you games with stupid decisions. Taking the ball out on that first possession instead of kneeling it was the difference between a safety and a 2nd and 25.

Mike

If Holiday took a knee & Denver started on the 20, how's 2nd & 25 better than a safety? How's it different?

ObsiWan
02-05-2014, 07:54 PM
If Holiday took a knee & Denver started on the 20, how's 2nd & 25 better than a safety? How's it different?
Is this a trick question?
:D
1. The safety is a turnover
2. ..results in instant pts for the other guys.
3. represents a morale boost to the opposition,
4. potentially causes a collective "OH SNAP" for your guys.

2nd and 25 is no worse than a clipping call (is clipping still a 15 yarder? I forget) on a 2nd down pass play.

Of course that 2nd & 25 thingie assumes that Denver recovers the botched snap and there's no guarantee of that occurrence.

Say Holliday did take a knee and the botched snap still happens; the outcome could just as likely have been 1st and goal on the 10 or the 5 for Seattle. Then they give it to "Beast Mode" and he goes in for six on second or third down.
:cowboy1:

Seegara
02-05-2014, 09:01 PM
My takeaway? Pete Carrol is a genius.
He has somehow managed to have a college atmosphere in the pros and it's working like a charm. Kudos to him and what is possibly one of the greatest superbowl performances I have ever seen
Pete Carroll has long been a super coach. When Seattle got him I figured they would go places. They did, just not right away. Some good coaches turn it around right away; others slowly build a dynasty.

I have a nagging feeling we may wish the Texans had grabbed one of these elite coaches. There are some in college, like Nick Saban.

TheIronDuke
02-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Pete Carroll has long been a super coach. When Seattle got him I figured they would go places. They did, just not right away. Some good coaches turn it around right away; others slowly build a dynasty.

I have a nagging feeling we may wish the Texans had grabbed one of these elite coaches. There are some in college, like Nick Saban.

Who is to say they didn't?

thunderkyss
02-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Is this a trick question?

Well, being that 2nd & 25 from the 20 means you're snapping the ball 5 yards deep in the endzone...

:kitten:

Texanmike02
02-05-2014, 11:18 PM

2nd and 25 means they have the ball at their 5 yardline....

Mike

Texanmike02
02-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Well, being that 2nd & 25 from the 20 means you're snapping the ball 5 yards deep in the endzone...

The first time was understandable but you just defended it... You know that 1st and 10 from the 20... 2nd and 25 from the 5... riiiiiight?

Mike

thunderkyss
02-05-2014, 11:26 PM
The first time was understandable but you just defended it... You know that 1st and 10 from the 20... 2nd and 25 from the 5... riiiiiight?

Mike

Uh... of course I knew that...

:toropalm:

Say, how 'bout that Johnny Football fella??

Speedy
02-05-2014, 11:46 PM

Your assuming the ball was recovered by somebody at the 5 and not kicked back further as can happen when trying to cover a fumble. BTW, the ball was recovered 8 yards deep in the end zone so it still would have been a safety even if they started at the 20.

Carroll stated that Harvin was told to go even if he was just inches from the backline. Maybe Holliday was told to go too. I mean, that's what he is there for. The ONLY reason he's there. He's a weapon for the Broncos in that area, seeing how he has 4 TD returns in 2 years. If you're not going to use him, then why have him taking a roster spot for just that specific duty?

Once every 10 years an unbelievable defense wins a championship. The other 9 go to great QBs

Seattle, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, all great defenses (OK, not all unbelievable but still pretty great those seasons) and I don't think I'd consider Flacco and Eli great QBs. And that's just the last 7 champions.

michaelm
02-06-2014, 11:24 AM

Mike

Uh... of course I knew that...

:toropalm:

Say, how 'bout that Johnny Football fella??

"Gentlemen, which brings me to my next point. Don't smoke crack!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soXMCkoWfQo

ObsiWan
02-07-2014, 04:25 AM

DOH!!
:homer:

ObsiWan
02-07-2014, 04:30 AM
2nd and 25 means they have the ball at their 5 yardline....

Mike
Except that the FUBAR'ed snap took place on first down... the very first play from scrimmage...
1st and 10 at DEN 14(Shotgun) - P.Manning Aborted. M.Ramirez FUMBLES at DEN 14, recovered by DEN-K.Moreno at DEN -8. K.Moreno tackled in End Zone, SAFETY (C.Avril). Penalty on DEN-P.Manning, Illegal Motion, declined.20
the fumble recovery was made a total of 22 yds behind the line of scrimmage (14 yds + the 8 yds deep in the end zone)... My math says the ball would have still been recovered 2 yds deep in the end zone. Still a safety.
Soooo how do you get to 2nd and 25 after taking the ball on the 20 unless you change the whole sequence of events??

Texanmike02
02-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Except that the FUBAR'ed snap took place on first down... the very first play from scrimmage...
the fumble recovery was made a total of 22 yds behind the line of scrimmage (14 yds + the 8 yds deep in the end zone)... My math says the ball would have still been recovered 2 yds deep in the end zone. Still a safety.
Soooo how do you get to 2nd and 25 after taking the ball on the 20 unless you change the whole sequence of events??

I went back and looked at the tape again and again and he likely would have been near the goal line and he was right in the middle of the endzone when he had his first opportunity to handle the ball. 8 yards back was after sliding and covering the ball to prevent giving up a touchdaown. There was no possiblity of getting out of the endzone 8 yards deep. Instead of falling on the ball, if he has his head on the goal line you have to believe he is going to at least try to get out of the endzone. 2nd and 19.99999 is better than a safety.

But using your math, 2nd and 25 would be 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Mike

Goldensilence
02-09-2014, 09:26 PM
What I took away from Seattle winning the SB?

Seattle has done a masterful job of something the Texans can't seem to get for the life of them between Capers and Kubiak, identifying and developing talent.

I think this next year or two will be telling for Rick Smith, was Kubiak scape goated for him? Did Gary really have that much draft input?

One thing I will credit immediately to O'Brien is that it didn't take him four years to finally get in his head he should hire a legit defensive coordinator and also firing the S&T coach and bringing in a pretty well regarded one.

thunderkyss
02-09-2014, 09:35 PM
What I took away from Seattle winning the SB?

Seattle has done a masterful job of something the Texans can't seem to get for the life of them between Capers and Kubiak, identifying and developing talent.

I think this next year or two will be telling for Rick Smith, was Kubiak scape goated for him? Did Gary really have that much draft input?

I honestly thought the Texans, 9ers, & Seahawks were very similar. Still think we'd be very comparable with a 2009 Matt Schaub.

If only Kubiak could have put together an offense for Keenum.

The team we all thought could win the Super Bowl in 2011, the team that should have won in 2012..... very comparable.

gafftop
10-26-2014, 12:06 AM
In no particular order:

As stated above I would have traded No1.1
I don't like Mallet the statue
All the above seems to be coming true.

infantrycak
10-26-2014, 07:49 AM
"I would have traded #1 " is a pretty worthless statement without a trade offer and they went D instead of QB.

You got a more mobile QB and he needs to be benched. And he's the perfect example that more mobile doesn't mean better.

Who the heck is Brown?