PDA

View Full Version : Zach Mettenberger, QB LSU

Playoffs
01-29-2014, 01:26 PM
LSU's Zach Mettenberger is making good progress rehabilitating his surgically repaired knee (http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/01/lsus_zach_mettenberger_making.html)
LSU trainer Jack Marucci is amazed at former Tiger quarterback Zach Mettenberger's progress in rehabbing from knee surgery. Mettenberger himself isn't as easily impressed.

Less than a month after having the torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee repaired, Mettenberger is already able to practice his drops and do some agility drills on a limited basis. He's only able to throw from a stool, but Marucci expects that to change sometime next week...

Game videos: http://draftbreakdown.com/players/zach-mettenberger/

TSV: http://thesidelineview.com/scouting-report/zach-mettenberger

badboy
01-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Thanks! I wished I had focused more on him during the season but saw him as a immobile type QB. Still if we have a good Oline, I do not want my QB scrambling much anyway. If those who did watch Mett could offer their opinions on him, I'd appreciate it. He definitely has size and arm.

Hervoyel
01-29-2014, 01:41 PM
The one thing that stands out to me is that he seems to have the clock in his head and that "Spidey-sense" thing that you can't seem to teach. He isn't mobile in the sense that Bridgewater is mobile but he's got the ability to buy a little time in the pocket with a few steps. Now many people won't agree with me but the athletic mobile guy you can find in a lot of guys who play QB as an "athlete". The running QB is really a guy who has a more common skill (that mobility we're talking about) often pared with good arm and (hopefully) some of those intangibles we all want in our passer.

The guy who can move around in the pocket, stand up tall and throw as the walls come down around him has what I think is a rarer gift. When I see a QB step deftly to one side and avoid a threat without even seeming to look at the guy crashing the pocket I'm more impressed than when one of the newer more mobile guys rips off a run. Manning and Brady both have that. A lot of times it seems like the better QB's rarely ever get hit by surprise even when they're hit from behind. That clock in their head and the spatial awareness are huge. It's like in the back of their mind they're tracking all the pieces moving on the field, even the ones they can't actually see.

You can't teach it. You can beat it out of somebody but you can't seem to instill it in them. Not completely. You can work on that clock with a QB but if he doesn't naturally have that going for him he'll slowly fall back on what he does. David Carr always looked like he was surprised when he got hit. He didn't seem to know it was coming. His little brother has a bit of that to him as well. Brady, Manning, Ben, and a number of others seem to know it's coming right before it gets there. Not every single time of course but most of the time.

I see that in Mettenberger. I think he's going to be a good one.

Blake
01-29-2014, 01:45 PM
With the 33rd pick in the NFL draft, the Houston Texans select Stool.

http://www.remodelista.com/files/styles/733_0s/public/img/sub/uimg/08-2012/700_wooden-stool-dark-wood-horne.jpg

bhsman
01-29-2014, 01:49 PM

http://www.remodelista.com/files/styles/733_0s/public/img/sub/uimg/08-2012/700_wooden-stool-dark-wood-horne.jpg

Granted a stool is probably more mobile than Mett, but a stool won't rifle a pass downfield 30 yards with accuracy.

EDIT: This (http://www.nfldraftmaverick.com/scouting-zach-mettenberger/) is a scouting report on Mettenberger from around the time of the aTm game.

badboy
01-29-2014, 01:52 PM
As long as the stool does not get knocked over and gets ball off, I am cool.

Blake
01-29-2014, 01:54 PM
As long as the stool does not get knocked over and gets ball off, I am cool.

My mistake I wasn't clear, but Stool is the subsequent pick to Mettenberger.

Hervoyel
01-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Lets stick to Mettenberger and consider Stool in another thread. It's possible if Stool can be effective in pass protection that we might consider taking him in later rounds but we're talking QB right now guys.

Playoffs
01-29-2014, 02:43 PM
I see that in Mettenberger. I think he's going to be a good one.

I do too. Shame about the ACL, but he seems to be ahead of schedule.

IDEXAN
01-29-2014, 02:50 PM
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS: Possesses a prototypical frame and arm for the position. Has shown steady improvement in reading defenses throughout his time at LSU, and drew praise over the 2013 summer for his quick pick-up of new offensive coordinator Cam Cameron's scheme. He can drive the ball to the opposite hash, loft the ball over the seam or to the back in the flat and hit receivers streaking down the sideline. Does a nice job of keeping his eyes downfield and steps up to avoid contact. Improved as a senior in keeping his eyes focused downfield when stepping up into the pocket.
WEAKNESSES: Does not possess preferred athleticism to escape pressure. He has slow, heavy feet, and is confined to the pocket. Has a tendency to loft deep balls into coverage
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664450/zach-mettenberger
I dunno, but sounds to me like a BOB sort of QB ?

Playoffs
01-29-2014, 02:54 PM
I dunno, but sounds to me like a BOB sort of QB ?

I know nothing about what he's got between the ears? Important.

_King_
01-29-2014, 03:04 PM
If we were to not take a qb in rd 1 he'd be the guy I targeted in rd 2. Unless Derek Carr fell to rd 2 for some reason.

I didn't like the offense derek ran, and he needs some work for sure, but as far as the over physical traits he's right up there with the top guys.

badboy
01-29-2014, 03:06 PM
My mistake I wasn't clear, but Stool is the subsequent pick to Mettenberger.

Sorry still not clear, are you saying he could sit on stool while play developes or as I took it he is as mobile as a stool?

Honoring Earl 34
01-29-2014, 03:22 PM

Some folks want Mallett and he's a recliner .

TexansFTW
01-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Zach Met will be a middle of day 2 prospect and will NOT succeed in the NFL.

I see Arizona Cardinals, MAYBE Rams or Bengals. If he rolls around to the 3rd then it's just whoever didn't draft a QB yet in the top 11.

Save this post. We will revisit in 2 years and I will give you life advice at that time.

I choose the stool.

Hervoyel
01-29-2014, 05:14 PM
:rolleyes:

I see Arizona Cardinals, MAYBE Rams or Bengals. If he rolls around to the 3rd then it's just whoever didn't draft a QB yet in the top 11.

Save this post. We will revisit in 2 years and I will give you life advice at that time.

I choose the stool.

I will be here to mock you on that day. Should be fun.

steelbtexan
01-29-2014, 07:13 PM
I know nothing about what he's got between the ears? Important.

His father/grandfather are/were engineers. I read a link in another thread.

Marshall
01-29-2014, 07:17 PM

I apologize, but I really didn't think of furniture when you wrote Stool. I think I spent too much time cleaning up after SHASTA III while at UH.

We used stool to describe what is described in the wild as scat.

steelbtexan
01-29-2014, 07:20 PM

I choose the stool.

No, you cant seem to get over your TB mancrush enough to fairly evaluate other QB's. I don't want Mettenberger, but I like him as much as TB. Mallett is my guy. If BO'B signs off on Mallett.

kiwitexansfan
01-29-2014, 07:59 PM
The stool might work for Mettenberger.

Yi Jianlian got drafted at #6 overall in the NBA based on his play against a chair.

Texian
01-29-2014, 08:02 PM
I believe there is a high probability that Zach Mettenberger will be a first rd draft pick, thanks to Cam Cameron. The good news for Mett is he was only able to spend 1 year with a quality OC and QB coach. Zach has more room for development and as a result a higher ceiling. All IMHO.

badboy
01-30-2014, 03:51 PM
I believe there is a high probability that Zach Mettenberger will be a first rd draft pick, thanks to Cam Cameron. The good news for Mett is he was only able to spend 1 year with a quality OC and QB coach. Zach has more room for development and as a result a higher ceiling. All IMHO.If he is there at round 3 #65 and healing on schedule would you select him?

Mr teX
01-30-2014, 04:19 PM
If he is there at round 3 #65 and healing on schedule would you select him?

I would... if we don't select a qb round 1, he's the #1 guy i would target in the later rounds...

Texian
01-30-2014, 04:53 PM

No, based on assumption Texans go QB in RD 1. Texans need to address depleted DL and RDs 2 and 3 are their best opportunities.

kiwitexansfan
01-30-2014, 05:00 PM

I like Metteberger most of the hypothetical 2nd tier QBs. If we are going with a second tier guy he is who I want.

bhsman
01-30-2014, 05:07 PM
No, based on assumption Texans go QB in RD 1. Texans need to address depleted DL and RDs 2 and 3 are their best opportunities.

For the sake of this thought experiment, let's say we grab Clowney and an OT in the first two rounds. If Mett was available at the top of the third, what would you say then?

badboy
01-30-2014, 05:13 PM
No, based on assumption Texans go QB in RD 1. Texans need to address depleted DL and RDs 2 and 3 are their best opportunities.So in your scenario, QB is a must in first? or are you saying if a QB is 1-1 then no to Mett in 3rd? I would agree with the latter as without extra picks we should not double dip on QBs.

See bhsman above.

Texian
01-30-2014, 05:20 PM
For the sake of this thought experiment, let's say we grab Clowney and an OT in the first two rounds. If Mett was available at the top of the third, what would you say then?

Sure, if it played out. However, I don't think Mett sees the 3rd RD and if he doesn't you have no QB. The Texans could draft 3 Clowneys but if they don't have a QB nothing would matter.

Texian
01-30-2014, 05:22 PM
So in your scenario, QB is a must in first? or are you saying if a QB is 1-1 then no to Mett in 3rd? I would agree with the latter as without extra picks we should not double dip on QBs.

See bhsman above.

In a QB driven league when your team does not have a QB, a QB is a MUST with the first pick in the draft.

TEXANRED
01-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Granted a stool is probably more mobile than Mett, but a stool won't rifle a pass downfield 30 yards with accuracy.

EDIT: This (http://www.nfldraftmaverick.com/scouting-zach-mettenberger/) is a scouting report on Mettenberger from around the time of the aTm game.
Cons
Needs to learn to throw it away when nothing is there
Only decent pocket presence, needs to feel the pressure better
Not exceptionally mobile
Makes some risky throws
Concerns about his ability to win the big game and close ones

This sounds like a certain QB I have watched for the last 7 years. Gosh, what was his name? It rhymes with Matt Schaub.

bhsman
01-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Cons
Needs to learn to throw it away when nothing is there
Only decent pocket presence, needs to feel the pressure better
Not exceptionally mobile
Makes some risky throws
Concerns about his ability to win the big game and close ones

This sounds like a certain QB I have watched for the last 7 years. Gosh, what was his name? It rhymes with Matt Schaub.

Oh please. :mariopalm: If Schaub had Mett's arm strength, we wouldn't even be talking about taking a QB this draft.

EDIT: The Pros:

-Ball placement and sharpshooter accuracy
-Makes good decisions under duress
-Takes what the defense gives him
-Constantly making adjustments to offense, even in run game
-Prototypical stature
-Rocket arm, can make every throw in the book, as well as absolutely drill it into a tight window
-Experience in pro style system, both under center and from shotgun
-Has faced toughest competition routinely
-Quick Decisions
-Good field vision and progression
-Marked Improvement from 2012-2013
-Team Captain and a clear leader
-Tough, takes a lot of hits
-High ceiling

TexansFTW
01-30-2014, 06:56 PM
Who did HE beat?

FYI...I watched enough of him because I know there is gonna be "You don't know what you're talking about and you didn't watch him play" cop out responses.

I don't care if members of his line got injured.

Peyton lost 3 lineman this year, couple pro bowlers and he is still in the Super Bowl.

Tyler Bray was huge and had a Rocket arm and could stand in the pocket too.

Maybe it was his come from behind victory against Arkansa.... oh wait... that wasn't him...

Everyone lights up A&M's HORRIBLE defense, so with that said...

So who did he beat? He plays in a conference with the best competition. What GOOD team could you say, "wow, LSU won that game because of Mett, not because of their dominant D".

Texian
01-30-2014, 08:27 PM
What GOOD team could you say, "wow, LSU won that game because of Mett, not because of their dominant D".

Careful now, tread lightly, you don't want to undermine your main man who played beside the #1 defense in college football. :)

bhsman
01-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Before I start working through T-FTW's terrible post, here is a decent writeup (http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/zach-mettenberger-talking-with-his-coaches-about-who-he-is-what-he-s-become-and-where-he-s-headed.html) on Mett.

Who did HE beat?
Everyone lights up A&M's HORRIBLE defense, so with that said...

So who did he beat? He plays in a conference with the best competition. What GOOD team could you say, "wow, LSU won that game because of Mett, not because of their dominant D".

Serious question: You seem to be posting with a lot of anger here, are you frustrated about something? I'm not sure what bug crawled up your butt and died to make you so angry about Mettenberger, but Mettenberger threw well (in 2012) against Alabama (specifically the game last year where the offensive line and Mettenberger started showing more consistency), South Carolina, and Miss. St.

In 2013, he started the season playing well against TCU's passing defense (before their offense blew up for the rest of the season), out-scored the eventual SEC champs in Auburn, had an amazing game against a bad Georgia defense (so he performed well where expected), played well against Alabama until the offensive line just stopped giving a ****, etc. His only real head-scratcher came against Ole Miss where he three three INTs, but those ended up being on deep balls where he got too greedy.

You seem intent on pointing out that Mettenberger played against poor defenses as if he were the only one. Bridgewater faced poor defenses all year, and Jameis Winston's Seminoles faced an even weaker schedule than Ohio State, who had a laughably weak schedule.

FYI...I watched enough of him because I know there is gonna be "You don't know what you're talking about and you didn't watch him play" cop out responses.

I wonder how much you've watched to come to such an antagonizing conclusion. Maybe you're just poor at this?

I don't care if members of his line got injured.

Peyton lost 3 lineman this year, couple pro bowlers and he is still in the Super Bowl.

This is such a gigantic stretch of logic that I won't even point out how stupid it is that you are directly comparing Mettenberger to Peyton Manning and then getting pissy about it. Wow.

Tyler Bray was huge and had a Rocket arm and could stand in the pocket too.

I don't think Tyler Bray was known as a very accurate passer who made good decisions, so between this and your Peyton reference congratulations on making terrible analogies I guess?

Maybe it was his come from behind victory against Arkansa.... oh wait... that wasn't him...

Are you stupid? Are you seriously docking Mettenberger for getting injured near the end of the game, and thus nullifying all that he did up to that point and then throwing all the responsibility for the win at Jennings feet? Jennings played well, considering the circumstances, but my goodness this is a stupid, stupid comment to make.

Please don't make conclusions like this when you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Thank you. :)

TexansFTW
01-30-2014, 10:20 PM
Serious question: You seem to be posting with a lot of anger here, are you frustrated about something?

I wonder how much you've watched to come to such an antagonizing conclusion. Maybe you're just poor at this?

This is such a gigantic stretch of logic that I won't even point out how stupid it is that you are directly comparing Mettenberger to Peyton Manning and then getting pissy about it. Wow.

I don't think Tyler Bray was known as a very accurate passer who made good decisions, so between this and your Peyton reference congratulations on making terrible analogies I guess?

Are you stupid? Are you seriously docking Mettenberger for getting injured near the end of the game, and thus nullifying all that he did up to that point and then throwing all the responsibility for the win at Jennings feet? Jennings played well, considering the circumstances, but my goodness this is a stupid, stupid comment to make.

Please don't make conclusions like this when you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Thank you. :)

lol, self admitted die hard LSU fan, of course you say I'm aggressive while you go out of your way to attack me.

Generally the biggest people on the internet are the smallest in real life. I'll let you have this one tough guy, I know when something isn't worth it.

If anyone else wants to answer I'll be interested in what yall have to say.

bhsman
01-30-2014, 10:54 PM
lol, self admitted die hard LSU fan, of course you say I'm aggressive while you go out of your way to attack me.

Generally the biggest people on the internet are the smallest in real life. I'll let you have this one tough guy, I know when something isn't worth it.

If anyone else wants to answer I'll be interested in what yall have to say.

You came out of nowhere swinging your e-peen and letting everybody know that SOMEONE wasn't going to buy into the sick Mettenberger hype! It was seriously unprompted. Hell, I didn't even touch your "Mett will not succeed!" post and you went out of your way to refer to me, so you must be itching to be told how dumb you are.

Back up your arguments with facts or kindly get bent. Griping about someone not putting up with your crap on the internet doesn't count.

mussop
01-31-2014, 12:20 AM
You came out of nowhere swinging your e-peen and letting everybody know that SOMEONE wasn't going to buy into the sick Mettenberger hype! It was seriously unprompted. Hell, I didn't even touch your "Mett will not succeed!" post and you went out of your way to refer to me, so you must be itching to be told how dumb you are.

Back up your arguments with facts or kindly get bent. Griping about someone not putting up with your crap on the internet doesn't count.

You know sometimes you have decent takes but they get lost on your ***** ass attitude. If you didn't act like and D- bag more people would engage you.

leebigeztx
01-31-2014, 09:04 AM
Oh please. :mariopalm: If Schaub had Mett's arm strength, we wouldn't even be talking about taking a QB this draft.

EDIT: The Pros:

-Ball placement and sharpshooter accuracy
-Makes good decisions under duress
-Takes what the defense gives him
-Constantly making adjustments to offense, even in run game
-Prototypical stature
-Rocket arm, can make every throw in the book, as well as absolutely drill it into a tight window
-Experience in pro style system, both under center and from shotgun
-Has faced toughest competition routinely
-Quick Decisions
-Good field vision and progression
-Marked Improvement from 2012-2013
-Team Captain and a clear leader
-Tough, takes a lot of hits
-High ceiling

So tell me why he basically stockpiled his tds vs furman,uab,and kent state? What about 3int vs fla? Pinpoint accuracy? 2 nfl caliber recievers to throw to and you only hit 64% in college. I don't see why people are even looking at zach until th mid 3rd rd. As I've said before,I see bortles,TB,and manziel. I can even understand the smokescreen king derek carr, but zach metternberger?.

Hervoyel
01-31-2014, 10:57 AM
Yeah. Zach Mettenberger. Wouldn't any good QB stockpile his TD's against those teams? I don't understand the angle of looking down on a guy for doing well against teams he's supposed to do well against. Makes no sense to me.

But that's just me. I don't live and die with this stuff and don't understand why people are fighting over takes on players we'll have no input in actually selecting. I didn't think the scouting report on Mettenberger that was posted in here was all that great (He "takes what the defense gives him" and he "needs to learn to throw it away when nothing is there"? Which of those guys is he?) but no big deal. Just one guys opinion. That's all any of this is.

The 64% completion percentage doesn't both me all that much. Looking at his college career in it's entirety I think last year was a big step forward and I think he's set to build on that.

TexansFTW
01-31-2014, 12:08 PM
Yeah. Zach Mettenberger. Wouldn't any good QB stockpile his TD's against those teams? I don't understand the angle of looking down on a guy for doing well against teams he's supposed to do well against. Makes no sense to me.

But that's just me. I don't live and die with this stuff and don't understand why people are fighting over takes on players we'll have no input in actually selecting. I didn't think the scouting report on Mettenberger that was posted in here was all that great (He "takes what the defense gives him" and he "needs to learn to throw it away when nothing is there"? Which of those guys is he?) but no big deal. Just one guys opinion. That's all any of this is.

The 64% completion percentage doesn't both me all that much. Looking at his college career in it's entirety I think last year was a big step forward and I think he's set to build on that.

Absolutely nothing wrong with beating down on lesser competition. You're supposed to do that if you wanna go pro.

The argument raised was that was the ONLY competition he'd done it too, that and A&M (who hasn't) in wins for the team.

I can definitely argue that he had a great game against Georgia, the same team Tahj Boyd had a great game against too, but the difference between him and Boyd is that Clemson won and LSU lost. Not a knock on him, per say, cause he had a very good game, but I don't see many/any very good games in key WINS his final year under the NFL system of Cam C.

Hervoyel
01-31-2014, 01:32 PM
So Cam Cameron shows up, puts him in an NFL style offense (which I assume means the entire offense got a new, arguably harder to digest system) and he only has the best year of his collegiate career in said system.

I'd say it looks to me like we'd be discussing Zach with Bridgewater, Manziel, and Bortles if Cam had arrived at LSU one season earlier (and if Zach hadn't been hurt).

But to get back on track, so in his (and his teams) first year in this system he didn't dominate the best teams on his schedule in arguably the toughest conference in college football?

I'm OK with that.

Those other guys played in the same system they'd been in since arriving on campus correct?

I think Mettenberger has a lot of upside and I'm not advocating that the Texans take him at 1-1. That makes no sense. I'm pretty sure they'll take Bridgewater there but if they don't. If they decide to take a shot at Clowney instead then I think Mettenberger could be a steal with their next pick.

If they're thinking that then I hope someone is paying very close attention to his rehab. The injury doesn't worry me. What worries me these days with things like this is whether or not they're getting put back together properly.

bhsman
01-31-2014, 01:32 PM
You know sometimes you have decent takes but they get lost on your ***** ass attitude. If you didn't act like and D- bag more people would engage you.

I'm more than happy to talk tape or a player's deficiencies, but when someone wants to make some overtly-conclusive statement like a player will flat-out not succeed and so on, well piss off.

I tried to get you to talk about the specifics of Kollmann's interview, specifically his play breakdown and what Bridgewater does pre-snap, but you refused and only wanted to badmouth him without providing evidence other than some immense hurt feelings over his criticism of Manziel.

Hell, I tried offering you an olive branch in sharing disagreement with Kollmann over his criticisms of Manziel, pointing out that 'lofting it up to Evans' is lazy analysis and telling you in the Manziel thread to ignore leebigztx because he tends to make weird accusations about a player and then ignore when someone points him out as wrong. If you're still pissy about that argument, you have nobody to blame but yourself for your initial overreaction and refusing to come down from it.

So tell me why he basically stockpiled his tds vs furman,uab,and kent state? What about 3int vs fla? Pinpoint accuracy? 2 nfl caliber recievers to throw to and you only hit 64% in college. I don't see why people are even looking at zach until th mid 3rd rd. As I've said before,I see bortles,TB,and manziel. I can even understand the smokescreen king derek carr, but zach metternberger?.

You're seriously going to dock Mettenberger for 'stockpiling' TDs against lesser competition? Do you also take away Teddy's touchdowns against such collegiate greats as Ohio (5 TDs), Eastern Kentucky (4 TDs), FIU (4 TDs), and South Florida (3 TDS)?

As for the accuracy, they're referring to Mettenberger's ability to throw his wideout's open as a useful skill; I was unaware that 64% on the season was a terrible thing, though TexansFTW's direct comparison of Mettenberger to Peyton "****ing" Manning earlier in the thread should have jaded me enough.

I can definitely argue that he had a great game against Georgia, the same team Tahj Boyd had a great game against too, but the difference between him and Boyd is that Clemson won and LSU lost. Not a knock on him, per say, cause he had a very good game, but I don't see many/any very good games in key WINS his final year under the NFL system of Cam C.

Oh come on, that's ridiculous. LSU's offense scores 'only' 41 points, and you lay it at the feet of the quarterback?

TexansFTW
01-31-2014, 04:49 PM
So Cam Cameron shows up, puts him in an NFL style offense (which I assume means the entire offense got a new, arguably harder to digest system) and he only has the best year of his collegiate career in said system.

absolutely true

I'd say it looks to me like we'd be discussing Zach with Bridgewater, Manziel, and Bortles if Cam had arrived at LSU one season earlier (and if Zach hadn't been hurt).

IFF. This is a valid point, but it's a huge IFF, plus you're discounting the severity of this injury, it's a pretty big deal. So what I have to evaluate him on in his final collegiate season is basically a failure against the SEC defenses that the SEC prides themselves on. I want to see ONE big time win where he put the team on his back, and I did not see that. Therefore I DO NOT evaluate him as a franchise QB. I hardly think that's unfair. If you can't do it in college why would I trust you to do it in the pros? Yes, he might get better, but the fact is... so is everyone else x5

But to get back on track, so in his (and his teams) first year in this system he didn't dominate the best teams on his schedule in arguably the toughest conference in college football?

I'm OK with that.

Those other guys played in the same system they'd been in since arriving on campus correct?

I'm not trying to draft those other guys. I'm talking about Zach's draft prospects, not theirs.

I think Mettenberger has a lot of upside and I'm not advocating that the Texans take him at 1-1. That makes no sense. I'm pretty sure they'll take Bridgewater there but if they don't. If they decide to take a shot at Clowney instead then I think Mettenberger could be a steal with their next pick.

Upside is very overrated to me. About 99% of prospects coming out of college have said 'upside'. I hear you though, he does have upside.

If they're thinking that then I hope someone is paying very close attention to his rehab. The injury doesn't worry me. What worries me these days with things like this is whether or not they're getting put back together properly.

See bolded above. I appreciate your thoughts and sounding off and respect your opinion.

badboy
01-31-2014, 05:21 PM
If he is possibly going to participate at his pro day and he was not very mobile pre-injury, is it safe to say injured ACL should not be much of a factor? He is healing much faster or injury not as severe as I had expected. This could put him back into play for me.

mussop
01-31-2014, 06:12 PM
I'm more than happy to talk tape or a player's deficiencies, but when someone wants to make some overtly-conclusive statement like a player will flat-out not succeed and so on, well piss off.

I tried to get you to talk about the specifics of Kollmann's interview, specifically his play breakdown and what Bridgewater does pre-snap, but you refused and only wanted to badmouth him without providing evidence other than some immense hurt feelings over his criticism of Manziel.

Hell, I tried offering you an olive branch in sharing disagreement with Kollmann over his criticisms of Manziel, pointing out that 'lofting it up to Evans' is lazy analysis and telling you in the Manziel thread to ignore leebigztx because he tends to make weird accusations about a player and then ignore when someone points him out as wrong. If you're still pissy about that argument, you have nobody to blame but yourself for your initial overreaction and refusing to come down from it.

You still crying over my remarks about that intern? :vincepalm:

I didn't over react to anything. The guy made several rediculous remarks not only about Manziel but also about Bridgewater. That is all I needed to hear. Like I said before listen to him all you want I have better things to do.

Obviously you have some immense hurt feelings over my criticism of the INTERN. You can't seem to let it go. You act as if I insulted your lover.:lightbulb: Oh, my bad.

leebigeztx
01-31-2014, 06:31 PM

Dude threw 11 of his 22tds vs furman,kent state,and uab. In the sec he had 11 tds and 8 ints despite having 2 wrs who will be drafted in the top 40 players. Not only that, go look at the type of catches they were making. This isn't eli or cutler playing with inferior players,this is a lsu offense that has top flight players. Look at how the alabama game ended when he was folding up in the pocket. No pocket presence,feel, or mobility. He has a great arm,but slow feet. He can't reset,turn and fire when teams get him off his spot. Even big guys like flacco,mallett,and glennon can do this even with the big arms they have. Don't mistake slow feet with athletic ability. You don't have to be a good athlete to have good feet. Slow feet is matt schaub/matt barkley problem and that why they have tgrouble with pressure.

Hervoyel
01-31-2014, 07:49 PM
Dude threw 11 of his 22tds vs furman,kent state,and uab. In the sec he had 11 tds and 8 ints despite having 2 wrs who will be drafted in the top 40 players. Not only that, go look at the type of catches they were making. This isn't eli or cutler playing with inferior players,this is a lsu offense that has top flight players. Look at how the alabama game ended when he was folding up in the pocket. No pocket presence,feel, or mobility. He has a great arm,but slow feet. He can't reset,turn and fire when teams get him off his spot. Even big guys like flacco,mallett,and glennon can do this even with the big arms they have. Don't mistake slow feet with athletic ability. You don't have to be a good athlete to have good feet. Slow feet is matt schaub/matt barkley problem and that why they have tgrouble with pressure.

Just don't agree with you on the guy but don't see any point in going further. I like Mettenberger and you don't. If we take him you better hope I'm right. If we don't I'll feel better about us passing if you are.

bOODRO87
01-31-2014, 08:23 PM
You still crying over my remarks about that intern? :vincepalm:

I didn't over react to anything. The guy made several rediculous remarks not only about Manziel but also about Bridgewater. That is all I needed to hear. Like I said before listen to him all you want I have better things to do.

Obviously you have some immense hurt feelings over my criticism of the INTERN. You can't seem to let it go. You act as if I insulted your lover.:lightbulb: Oh, my bad.

I don't agree with bhsman's post too much, but holy ****, way to take the cake for the most unnecessary, woman-nagging-like posts about football.

TexansFTW
02-01-2014, 10:45 AM
:slapfight:

Lucky
02-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Sort of the AJ McCarron argument. Neither had to carry the team (ala Manziel or Bridgewater).

If the Texans don't go QB in the 1st (which I think is unlikely), I prefer Fales out of San Jose State. But, do the Texans already have a Fales-type in Keenum? Scared of Mettenberger, a statue that could be more immobile after a knee injury. I think the Texans need to get the QB in the 1st, and I'm pretty sure they will.

thunderkyss
02-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Sort of the AJ McCarron argument. Neither had to carry the team (ala Manziel or Bridgewater).

I agree. Never had to. In the same way that I don't hold it against Manziel that he didn't run a "pro" system, I don't hold it against Mettneberger, or McCarron that they didn't have to carry their team.

You can, however, tell that they are both talented, make good decisions, can run a pro offense, have strong enough arms to play in the NFL, & don't wilt under the bright lights. McCarron especially.

I love Manziel, can't wait to see him in the NFL, but just like I enjoy watching Romo, I prefer to watch at a distance.

McCarron, Mettenberger, & Murray will do well in the NFL.

Uncle Rico
02-01-2014, 01:06 PM
hmmmm. 2 turnovers for 14 points under those 'bright lights' vs oklahoma, with the best OL in college football and a great running game. Yup, McCarron will do great when he's drafted to an average team who will expect him to make plays under less than ideal situations.

thunderkyss
02-01-2014, 03:46 PM
hmmmm. 2 turnovers for 14 points under those 'bright lights' vs oklahoma, with the best OL in college football and a great running game. Yup, McCarron will do great when he's drafted to an average team who will expect him to make plays under less than ideal situations.

You can't be telling me Bridgewater will never throw an INT in the NFL?

There's no reason for you to tear down McCarron to make Bridgewater look better. It's just my opinion, no reason to take it out on McCarron.

steelbtexan
02-01-2014, 06:21 PM
You can't be telling me Bridgewater will never throw an INT in the NFL?

There's no reason for you to tear down McCarron to make Bridgewater look better. It's just my opinion, no reason to take it out on McCarron.

2 National Championships and 36-4 record. Enough arm strength to make all of the throws. I think he discounts McCarron's achievements much too easily. Not that I want the Texans to draft McCarron, but McCarron and Bridgewater's skillsets are quite similar.

bah007
02-01-2014, 06:24 PM
2 National Championships and 36-4 record. Enough arm strength to make all of the throws. I think he discounts McCarron's achievements much too easily. Not that I want the Texans to draft McCarron, but McCarron and Bridgewater's skillsets are quite similar.

If I may ask, what do you find about them to be similar?

badboy
02-01-2014, 06:38 PM
My thoughts run more to can Qb x y or z translate to NFL. Example if Manziel is behind a solid Oline can he reduce his running attempts? My understanding his last year he was not only passing better but not fleeing from pocket as quickly. If he can do that I would not be as concerned about his health.

Marshall
02-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Sure, if it played out. However, I don't think Mett sees the 3rd RD and if he doesn't you have no QB. The Texans could draft 3 Clowneys but if they don't have a QB nothing would matter.

Why not just cut everyone else off the team because the QB can hike the ball to himself, block for himself, run for himself, throw for himself, catch the ball for himself, play defense for himself. QB isn't everything, he's the ONLY thing. Right?

Texian
02-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Why not just cut everyone else off the team because the QB can hike the ball to himself, block for himself, run for himself, throw for himself, catch the ball for himself, play defense for himself. QB isn't everything, he's the ONLY thing. Right?

Every HC that has been fired recently was a direct result of having a bad QB.

thunderkyss
02-01-2014, 09:06 PM
My thoughts run more to can Qb x y or z translate to NFL. Example if Manziel is behind a solid Oline can he reduce his running attempts? My understanding his last year he was not only passing better but not fleeing from pocket as quickly. If he can do that I would not be as concerned about his health.

I think Manziel is going to break a lot of hearts... like Romo. He's going to put up the numbers & look like a damn good QB, but like Romo, he'll never "quit while he's ahead" & will "always" make that last stupid mistake to not win the game, or not make the play-offs.

Of course, there is that chance that things will "always" work out for him, like Favre & he'll win a Super Bowl...

I think the same of Aaron Murray, except he'll be drafted in the third or fourth & not given the opportunity & "benefits of the doubt" Manziel will get.

Mettenberger... I'm starting to sour on. I still like his size & arm. But I do not like his placement, & I question his anticipation. May be more of a project than I originally thought.

Texian
02-01-2014, 10:44 PM
I think Manziel is going to break a lot of hearts... like Romo. He's going to put up the numbers & look like a damn good QB, but like Romo, he'll never "quit while he's ahead" & will "always" make that last stupid mistake to not win the game, or not make the play-offs.

Of course, there is that chance that things will "always" work out for him, like Favre & he'll win a Super Bowl...

I think the same of Aaron Murray, except he'll be drafted in the third or fourth & not given the opportunity & "benefits of the doubt" Manziel will get.

Mettenberger... I'm starting to sour on. I still like his size & arm. But I do not like his placement, & I question his anticipation. May be more of a project than I originally thought.

So far Manziel has been able to deliver in those last possession and game winning drives. In fact there is very little evidence of Manziel doing or going Romo. The truth is Manziel has been the opposite of Tony.

thunderkyss
02-02-2014, 06:14 AM
So far Manziel has been able to deliver in those last possession and game winning drives. In fact there is very little evidence of Manziel doing or going Romo. The truth is Manziel has been the opposite of Tony.

In college.

We've got to extrapolate from what we've seen how these guy's play will translate to the NFL. My opinion, Manziel is the next Romo or Farve.

Marshall
02-02-2014, 06:17 AM
Then you agree with my statement? I don't. I intended it to be facetious, but I honestly think many consider the rest of the team irrelevant. If that is what it has become, then I'll take a pass on sports entirely.

MistaRed
02-02-2014, 09:42 AM

Jim Schwartz?

Texian
02-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Jim Schwartz?

Schwartz included. Matthew Stafford QB Rating ranks 37th out of 49 QBs. A QB Rating of 84 is not that good. For a comparison Schaub's QB Rating is 73.

bah007
02-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Jim Schwartz?

I agree with Texian. Stafford is obviously talented, but he is terribly inefficient.

bhsman
02-02-2014, 12:53 PM
:vincepalm:

http://i.imgur.com/KX0vaTh.gif

This is sorta true in the sense that both are run-first teams (this was especially true during the Florida game), though due to the defense regressing this year the offense (and by consequence, Mettenberger - especially during the Georgia game) had to carry the team. Jeremy Hill (who quietly had a really good season; hopefully he cleans up in the pros) was also suspended for the TCU game and that meant Mettenberger had to throw against that passing defense without Hill to hand off to. I don't McCarron has ever not had a really strong defense, running game, and offensive line at the same time.

Oh, and a super-easy schedule, but I digress.

If the Texans don't go QB in the 1st (which I think is unlikely), I prefer Fales out of San Jose State. But, do the Texans already have a Fales-type in Keenum? Scared of Mettenberger, a statue that could be more immobile after a knee injury. I think the Texans need to get the QB in the 1st, and I'm pretty sure they will.

Fales is coming off of a really bad Senior Bowl, which is too bad he was also a QB in the later rounds I thought Houston would look at if we didn't grab a QB in the first.

TexansFTW
02-02-2014, 01:23 PM
I agree. Never had to. In the same way that I don't hold it against Manziel that he didn't run a "pro" system, I don't hold it against Mettneberger, or McCarron that they didn't have to carry their team.

That's the thing. He didn't, but he did NEED to. You say he didn't HAVE to, but when you are LSU you are a team that is in the talk for the national championship pre season every year.

It's because he didn't put together game winning drives in those games you say he didn't have to that they didn't even go to a BCS bowl.

The only game winning drive I saw carried out by an LSU QB this past season was Mett's backup against a crappy Arkansas team. You can MAYBE argue 8 loss TCU, but they were in control of that game and the return guy was the one that put them in TCU territory when he made it a 2 possession game.

If he could make all the throws I assure you he wouldn't be hiding his arm from the scouts. What is their same skillset? Winning maybe, but with 2 completely different circumstances.

Then you agree with my statement? I don't. I intended it to be facetious, but I honestly think many consider the rest of the team irrelevant. If that is what it has become, then I'll take a pass on sports entirely.

QB is not THE only thing, but you must agree it is the most important by a sizeable amount. There are 2 ways of building Super Bowl teams it looks like to me in the past couple years. 1. Good QB or 2. Hit on EVERY SINGLE defensive position in your drafts and trades and have a top flight RB carry your offense. I think the latter is much more difficult to perform.

bhsman
02-02-2014, 02:04 PM
That's the thing. He didn't, but he did NEED to. You say he didn't HAVE to, but when you are LSU you are a team that is in the talk for the national championship pre season every year

Of LSU's three losses this year, only the Ole Miss game can really be blamed on Mett for those early interceptions. This argument is dumb.

infantrycak
02-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Schwartz included. Matthew Stafford QB Rating ranks 37th out of 49 QBs. A QB Rating of 84 is not that good. For a comparison Schaub's QB Rating is 73.

I agree with Texian. Stafford is obviously talented, but he is terribly inefficient.

Stafford has not been great the last two seasons. The owners think that is the fault of coaching rather than his ability. They have an argument since the season prior he had a 97.2 rating for 5th in the league while throwing for over 5000 yds (6th was Schaub at 96.8).

TexansFTW
02-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Stafford has not been great the last two seasons. The owners think that is the fault of coaching rather than his ability. They have an argument since the season prior he had a 97.2 rating for 5th in the league while throwing for over 5000 yds (6th was Schaub at 96.8).

Agreed, Probably coaching, but nonetheless I think it's borderline unacceptable on Stafford's end.

I mean, the dude has Megatron. He is literally the ultimate jump ball master in the NFL.

Shaun Hill a career journeyman and not a very good QB had an 81.3 Rating the year he filled in for injured Stafford. I think having Megatron should start you with a minimum 75-80.

bhsman
02-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Who was it that said losing offensive line members to injury wasn't important because Peyton Manning got away with it?

ziggy29
02-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Fales is coming off of a really bad Senior Bowl...

Which Senior Bowl did you watch? Yes, he threw a pick, but apart from that he was 6-7 passing with a TD and led all Senior Bowl passers with 104 yards and 14.9 yards per completion.

That doesn't seem "really bad" to me.

bhsman
02-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Which Senior Bowl did you watch? Yes, he threw a pick, but apart from that he was 6-7 passing with a TD and led all Senior Bowl passers with 104 yards and 14.9 yards per completion.

That doesn't seem "really bad" to me.

Sorry, I should have specified the practices. If he played well in the game itself, awesome, though I think most people will grade him poorly based on the practices.

thunderkyss
02-07-2014, 11:25 AM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2013/12/04/0ap2000000292624.jpg

Mettenberger works to recover from torn ACL (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/07/mettenberger-works-to-recover-from-torn-acl/)
Posted by Mike Florio on February 7, 2014, 8:32 AM EST

And Mettenberger now has his sights set on working out for scouts before the draft, even if the normal timeline for an ACL recovery is much longer than four months.

“I fully anticipate to be good enough to go and do a five- and seven-step drop for scouts,” Mettenberger said. “I’ve been pushing myself really hard. I’m expecting to be fully healthy in the four- or five-month range. It’s my personal goal.”

It’s a sensible goal, because he could be drafted higher if he can show not only that he’s recovering but also that he’s capable of making NFL throws, in the likely event he’s shelved for 2014 as the knee continues to heal. The end result could be the investment of a mid-to-late-round pick in a guy who can become a viable contributor (and possibly a starter) by his second season.

ArlingtonTexan
02-07-2014, 02:35 PM
LSU offensive coordinator Cam Cameron credited QB Zach Mettenberger's altered mechanics as a reason for his continued development in 2013.

"I watched his lower body and he was, basically, a little too elongated. He'd overstride. We worked on getting his feet up underneath of him and make everything he was doing more compact. What happened is that he got better balance," Cameron said. "We had him flex his knees a little more... He was more accurate. The ball came out quicker. He could move in the pocket better with the subtle movements you need. Everything was just streamlined." Mettenberger's development did start the previous season, but a perfect combination of great receivers, a balanced offense, and time in the pocket certainly helped. Fit will be an important part of Mettenberger's success at the NFL level.

From rotoworld

_King_
02-07-2014, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't target mettenberger but if he fell to like the 4th rd, I'd take him even if I had drafted a qb higher.

aussie_texan
02-08-2014, 09:35 PM
where do y'all (see what i did there) see mett going. do you think he'll be available in the 3rd??

Playoffs
02-08-2014, 10:19 PM
where do y'all (see what i did there) see mett going. do you think he'll be available in the 3rd??

2nd/3rd, imo, unless knee looks bad.

kiwitexansfan
02-09-2014, 12:56 AM
I can't see him being there at 4:1

My concern is he is pushing his recovery too hard and it might come back to bite him.

Any experts in that area?

bhsman
02-09-2014, 02:39 AM

I could see him being there at 3-1, though my concern would be Arizona - they could pick him up in the late 2nd and sit him behind Palmer for a year.

steelbtexan
02-09-2014, 03:34 AM
That's the thing. He didn't, but he did NEED to. You say he didn't HAVE to, but when you are LSU you are a team that is in the talk for the national championship pre season every year.

It's because he didn't put together game winning drives in those games you say he didn't have to that they didn't even go to a BCS bowl.

The only game winning drive I saw carried out by an LSU QB this past season was Mett's backup against a crappy Arkansas team. You can MAYBE argue 8 loss TCU, but they were in control of that game and the return guy was the one that put them in TCU territory when he made it a 2 possession game.

If he could make all the throws I assure you he wouldn't be hiding his arm from the scouts. What is their same skillset? Winning maybe, but with 2 completely different circumstances.

QB is not THE only thing, but you must agree it is the most important by a sizeable amount. There are 2 ways of building Super Bowl teams it looks like to me in the past couple years. 1. Good QB or 2. Hit on EVERY SINGLE defensive position in your drafts and trades and have a top flight RB carry your offense. I think the latter is much more difficult to perform.

Agree with you on Mettenberger.

McCarron currently is trying to get his shoulder healthy. I'm disappointed he probably wont be throwing at the combine. Or that he didn't get to play in the Sr. Bowl.

Good QB, and a great running game/defense/ST's. will get you along way.

I didn't consider Flacco or Ravens defense to be elite. Wilson elite?

aussie_texan
02-09-2014, 04:01 AM

My concern is he is pushing his recovery too hard and it might come back to bite him.

by no means an expert but i tore my ACL just over a year ago. and a good friend of mine is a doctor who gave a talk at a conference about ACL reconstructions and the best recovery methods. so maybe i can help a bit.

it takes about 4-6 months before the graft or the repaired ACL to "feel" 100% but takes up to 10-12months to be fully healed and in some cases up to 2 years for full "explosion" to come back.

Depending on whether he had a patella tendon or hamstring tendon graft makes a small difference. Most athletes go with the hamstring tendon as its an easier recovery process. There is less soreness than with the patella tendon which can cause soreness and stiffness throughout the recovery process and even longterm stiffness when squatting to the floor.

It terms of pushing to hard with recovery. there isn't really such a thing. Once the graft and the removed tendon is healed after a few weeks. its about building the strength back up in the surrounding muscle groups. there are no real exercises to enhance the actual graft/repaired ACL.

My only concern is that he comes back to quickly in regards to running and lateral movements. If this is done to much or not done correctly between the 6-10month faze when he "feels" good but the reconstruction still needs time to heal, he may risk rupturing the ligament again.

hope that helps

thunderkyss
02-09-2014, 05:42 AM

After my daughter had her ACL, her doctor wanted her up & exercising within 6-8 weeks of surgery. She started physical therapy a week after surgery & he said she should have been jogging & the like in that 6-8 week time frame.

Mett had surgery in January, & he's talking about dropping back & throwing a football in the middle of February... sounds like he's on shedule to me.

revan
02-09-2014, 05:51 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1590969/tigersscore.gif

thunderkyss
02-09-2014, 08:01 AM
The more I watch Mettenberger, the more I fall in love with his receivers.

revan
02-09-2014, 08:18 AM

http://cfbsection.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/lsu-landry-catch1.gif

thunderkyss
02-09-2014, 08:36 AM
http://cfbsection.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/lsu-landry-catch1.gif

Exactly.

I like his size, his grit, his arm..... but really don't care for his placement/accuracy.

WolverineFan
02-09-2014, 12:02 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1590969/tigersscore.gif

Solid throw. But that's a throw that every NFL QB is expected to make. CB trailing and Safety late coming over.....that should always be a TD in the NFL.

ArlingtonTexan
02-09-2014, 01:53 PM

I would be surprised if he is there in the 3rd. if he was rated a 1st rounder pre-injury and the recovery is going fine, he is still a 1st rounder. Even if he misses time as a rookie, that is not a reason not draft a guy if you truly think he is starting material long-term.

leebigeztx
02-09-2014, 01:58 PM

What I've been saying about mettenburger. Dude had 13tds and 8 ints with 2 top 40 nfl pro prospect at wr. Not only that,look at the catches and plays those guys made. His accuracy is beyond bad. If those were non draftable wrs,we wouldn't even have this talk about him being anymore than a 4th rd qb at best.

steelbtexan
02-09-2014, 02:07 PM
What I've been saying about mettenburger. Dude had 13tds and 8 ints with 2 top 40 nfl pro prospect at wr. Not only that,look at the catches and plays those guys made. His accuracy is beyond bad. If those were non draftable wrs,we wouldn't even have this talk about him being anymore than a 4th rd qb at best.

While I agree with this

He would go in the 2nd/3rd rd range due to, arm/He's smart and will interview great.

bhsman
02-09-2014, 02:59 PM
I would be surprised if he is there in the 3rd. if he was rated a 1st rounder pre-injury and the recovery is going fine, he is still a 1st rounder. Even if he misses time as a rookie, that is not a reason not draft a guy if you truly think he is starting material long-term.

It'll be key if he can throw at all during his pro day.

IDEXAN
02-09-2014, 03:39 PM
That pass was as good as the catch, don't undersell this Mettenberger guy.

thunderkyss
02-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Solid throw. But that's a throw that every NFL QB is expected to make. CB trailing and Safety late coming over.....that should always be a TD in the NFL.

I can tell you with over 80% accuracy where Matt Schaub would have put that ball.

Honoring Earl 34
02-09-2014, 04:06 PM
I can tell you with over 80% accuracy where Matt Schaub would have put that ball.

35 yards is really pushing it for Schaub . :choke:

WolverineFan
02-09-2014, 04:10 PM
It'll be key if he can throw at all during his pro day.

If he can throw and throw well, then scouts will not mark him for the injury. I still expect him to be a 2nd round pick.

steelbtexan
02-09-2014, 04:19 PM
If he can throw and throw well, then scouts will not mark him for the injury. I still expect him to be a 2nd round pick.

Agreed

kiwitexansfan
02-09-2014, 04:30 PM
by no means an expert but i tore my ACL just over a year ago. and a good friend of mine is a doctor who gave a talk at a conference about ACL reconstructions and the best recovery methods. so maybe i can help a bit.

it takes about 4-6 months before the graft or the repaired ACL to "feel" 100% but takes up to 10-12months to be fully healed and in some cases up to 2 years for full "explosion" to come back.

Depending on whether he had a patella tendon or hamstring tendon graft makes a small difference. Most athletes go with the hamstring tendon as its an easier recovery process. There is less soreness than with the patella tendon which can cause soreness and stiffness throughout the recovery process and even longterm stiffness when squatting to the floor.

It terms of pushing to hard with recovery. there isn't really such a thing. Once the graft and the removed tendon is healed after a few weeks. its about building the strength back up in the surrounding muscle groups. there are no real exercises to enhance the actual graft/repaired ACL.

My only concern is that he comes back to quickly in regards to running and lateral movements. If this is done to much or not done correctly between the 6-10month faze when he "feels" good but the reconstruction still needs time to heal, he may risk rupturing the ligament again.

hope that helps

After my daughter had her ACL, her doctor wanted her up & exercising within 6-8 weeks of surgery. She started physical therapy a week after surgery & he said she should have been jogging & the like in that 6-8 week time frame.

Mett had surgery in January, & he's talking about dropping back & throwing a football in the middle of February... sounds like he's on shedule to me.

Thanks guys.

I'm leaning towards Mett at 2:1 if we pass up on the QB3 at 1:1

thunderkyss
02-09-2014, 04:38 PM
I'm leaning towards Mett at 2:1 if we pass up on the QB3 at 1:1

He was one of my 2nd round targets, but the more I watched... serious ball placement issues. His WRs/TEs are amazing.

Playoffs
02-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Zach Mettenberger Scouting Report: NFL Outlook for LSU QB (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1953659-zach-mettenberger-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-lsu-qb)
Positives
Negatives
NFL Comparison: Philip Rivers, QB, San Diego Chargers

Collegiate Statistics
http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/480251/zach-mettenberger

Personal Notes

Team captain as a junior and senior
Led his JUCO team, Butler (Kan.) Community College to an 11-1 record and national championship berth in 2010
Pled guilty to two sexual battery charges after an incident at a bar in March, 2010
Kicked off Georgia team in 2010 for violating team rules
Graduated with a degree in general studies

Overall

A traditional pocket passer with prototypical size and a rocket arm, Zach Mettenberger looks the part of an NFL quarterback. He showed tremendous progress as a senior under offensive coordinator Cam Cameron before falling victim to a late-season knee injury. While his lack of mobility is sure to turn some teams away, he projects well into a vertical offense that emphasizes attacking downfield.

Draft Projection: Second-Third Round

TexansFTW
02-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Graduated with a degree in general studies
Pled guilty to two sexual battery charges after an incident at a bar in March, 2010
Kicked off Georgia team in 2010 for violating team rules

Who is this guy? Van Wilder?

Don't get this guy and Mallett together in the same room. Sounds like there will be a lot of arrests made (minimum 2).

Honoring Earl 34
02-11-2014, 02:14 PM

Don't get this guy and Mallett together in the same room. Sounds like there will be a lot of arrests made (minimum 2).

He and Murray went to Georgia and Murray beat him out . He then got in trouble and transferred to LSU . His Mom works at the University of Georgia .

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/mother-lsu-quarterback-zach-mettenberger-given-week-off-143939563--ncaaf.html

Tammy Mettenberger, the mother of LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger is an administrative assistant for Georgia coach Mark Richt. Georgia plays LSU on Saturday, so Richt has given Tammy Mettenberger the week off.

Playoffs
02-11-2014, 02:19 PM

Don't get this guy and Mallett together in the same room. Sounds like there will be a lot of arrests made (minimum 2).Not as bad as it sounds, imo. Pretty darn significant punishment...

...the charges "were the result of Mettenberger grabbing the breasts and touching the buttocks" of a 20-year-old female Valdosta State University student in the bar. He was sentenced to 12 months of probation and 80 hours of community service.

Mettenberger was originally facing various charges of underage possession of alcohol, disorderly conduct and possession of false identification. Bulldogs coach Mark Richt allowed him to participate in spring practice and compete for the starting job before removing him from the team last month, indicating the case was more serious. Aaron Murray was named the starter for Georgia after his dismissal.
He apologized...
"I first want to apologize to the young lady my actions most directly affected, and I hope that by me accepting responsibility for my actions that she can move on with her life," Mettenberger said in the statement.

"I would also like to apologize to my family, friends, teammates, the coaching staff and the University of Georgia. Though it was very uncharacteristic of me to act the way I did, I still accept full responsibility for this event. I deeply regret my actions of that night and can assure that these actions will never happen again. I intend to do everything in my power to restore my image and rebuild the trust people had in me before."
Then transferred to Butler Community College for a year.

bhsman
02-12-2014, 12:46 AM
It's funny that they would compare him to Rivers, as Phillip's younger brother - Steven - is one of the backups at LSU.

steelbtexan
02-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Mettenberger supposedly wasn't a drinker, went out with the guys, got drunk and did foolish things that college kids sometimes do. But don't get charged with a crime.

Mettenberger is very smart. In addition to his mothers job, he's from a family of engineers on his dads side of the family. His grandfather got him counseling from HOF WR Danny Abramowitz and there have been no problems since. Mettenberger also has sworn off drinking.

Now if some want to condemn Mettenberger for the rest of his life for touching a girl inappropriately as a college kid in a club then so be it. But watch out about that throwing rocks in glass houses thingy.

BTW, Mettenberger is about 7th on my list of QB's I want the Texans to draft.

drs23
02-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Mettenberger supposedly wasn't a drinker, went out with the guys, got drunk and did foolish things that college kids sometimes do. But don't get charged with a crime.

Mettenberger is very smart. In addition to his mothers job, he's from a family of engineers on his dads side of the family. His grandfather got him counseling from HOF WR Danny Abramowitz and there have been no problems since. Mettenberger also has sworn off drinking.

Now if some want to condemn Mettenberger for the rest of his life for touching a girl inappropriately as a college kid in a club then so be it. But watch out about that throwing rocks in glass houses thingy.

That would explain a lot. The fact that he basically doesn't/didn't drink then went out and tried to keep up with his cohorts. Yep, that can get you in trouble. I think he handled well enough.

As to the bolded, Ya gotta GIF for that? :D

leebigeztx
02-12-2014, 10:06 PM
I'm not really concerned with his actions as a 20 yr old college student. I know when I was in college, my mack game used to have me grabbing a hand or getting close to the female. Not saying its right,I do have a 22 yr old soon to be nurse and I've seen dudes trying to mack. My thing with mettenburger is his play. His poise and ball placement leaves a lot to be desired. Can he throw it through a car wash? Yep,but so could billy joe tolliver. Its not like he doesn't have good talent around him either.

thunderkyss
02-12-2014, 10:09 PM
I'm not really concerned with his actions as a 20 yr old college student. I know when I was in college, my mack game used to have me grabbing a hand or getting close to the female. Not saying its right,I do have a 22 yr old soon to be nurse and I've seen dudes trying to mack. My thing with mettenburger is his play. His poise and ball placement leaves a lot to be desired. Can he throw it through a car wash? Yep,but so could billy joe tolliver. Its not like he doesn't have good talent around him either.

Billy Joe Tolliver was fun to watch... if you weren't a Saints fan that is.

Marshall
02-12-2014, 10:13 PM
That would explain a lot. The fact that he basically doesn't/didn't drink then went out and tried to keep up with his cohorts. Yep, that can get you in trouble. I think he handled well enough.

As to the bolded, Ya gotta GIF for that? :D

Was that supposed to be a joke? Or was it unintentional?

TexansFTW
02-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Mayock: Without injury, still don't think Zach Mettenberger is 1st- or 2nd-rounder. Not a guy who can start from Day One.

Playoffs
02-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Mayock: Without injury, still don't think Zach Mettenberger is 1st- or 2nd-rounder. Not a guy who can start from Day One.

Ramon Antonio Vargas ‏@RVargasAdvocate
Mayock: Zach Mettenberger has good size, ability. But stared down receivers too much, was slow getting ball out, so will go in 3rd or 4th.

Hays Carlyon ‏@HaysCarlyon
Mayock says Mettenberger wouldn't be 1st- or 2nd-round pick even without injury. Stares down WRs and wouldn't be ready right away. #Jaguars

aussie_texan
02-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Ramon Antonio Vargas ‏@RVargasAdvocate

Hays Carlyon ‏@HaysCarlyon

teams taking him will solely be doing so for potential. has the "prototypical" frame.

And his improvements year to year will help his cause but if you take him you have to give him at least 2 years to sit and learn to play QB in the NFL.

MistaRed
02-22-2014, 03:53 PM
Mettenberger meeting with the Texans tonight.

Playoffs
03-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Former LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger said he will throw on Pro Day (http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/03/former_lsu_quarterback_zach_me_1.html)
Zach Mettenberger's recovery from knee surgery continues on a roll. The former LSU Tiger quarterback confirmed on ESPN's SportsCenter Friday that he will throw at the LSU Pro Day on April 9.

"The doctors are thoroughly impressed with where he is and the progress he has made," said Mettenberger's representative Seth Katz. "He's weeks ahead of schedule and it's nothing surprising."

Dan Kadar ‏@MockingTheDraft
Zach Mettenberger throwing at LSU's April 9 pro day. I think that's the most important pro day of the year.

IDEXAN
03-21-2014, 05:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8-mvZ5umo
Metterberger's highlights from last year on Ytube. This guy has an arm which is clearly better that what Bortles, Bridgwater, and Manziel have.

thunderkyss
04-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Zach Mettenberger No. 2 QB in 2014 draft classESPN analyst Ron Jaworski (http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/28/2014-nfl-draft-ron-jaworski-says-zach-mettenberger-is-second-best-qb-in-class/?sct=obinsite) has some interesting takes on the quarterbacks in the 2014 NFL Draft class, with his latest rankings sure to raise a few eyebrows. Jaworski gave his updated quarterback rankings on Friday morning, with LSUís Zach Mettenberger coming in the No. 2 spot behind Blake Bortles of UCF.

Now you know what I think about Jaws... I'm just the messenger here.

kiwitexansfan
04-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Zach Mettenberger No. 2 QB in 2014 draft class

Now you know what I think about Jaws... I'm just the messenger here.

Mett is my #2 now as well.

I'd take him at 2:1 and not look back if we go with someone other than TB at 1:1.

In saying that, me deciding on which QB I like is like a cat chasing his tail.

thunderkyss
04-03-2014, 11:13 PM
Mett is my #2 now as well.

I'd take him at 2:1 and not look back if we go with someone other than TB at 1:1.

In saying that, me deciding on which QB I like is like a cat chasing his tail.

So if we trade down to the 3rd spot, Bridgewater is off the board, you'd take Mettenberger, or would you chose another player, then try to get Mettenberger at 2-1

Texian
04-04-2014, 12:00 AM

Mettenberger is #3 QB on my list behind Bortles and Manziel. Last year was his first year with a good coach. Cam Cameron really got him turned around. It's to bad he didn't have another year with Cam.

_King_
04-04-2014, 12:15 AM
I don't know who I'd place at number 2 behind bridgewater, but mettenberger is not there for me. All these guys have warts and are going to need seasoning. Mettenberger has very slow feet. So he's going to have to be extremely good at being a pocket qb if he wants to be a franchise guy. And I'm not sure he's there yet. I see him staring guys down a lot and just chunking it to receivers who simply beat their guys. I don't see him reading defenses much.

I feel safer with 1-4 since they all have some mobility and when nothing is available can buy some time. Mett is a statue for real.

kiwitexansfan
04-04-2014, 05:46 AM
So if we trade down to the 3rd spot, Bridgewater is off the board, you'd take Mettenberger, or would you chose another player, then try to get Mettenberger at 2-1

I really want a new QB.

I'd be tempted to take someone we then try and trade back into the 1st maybe.

thunderkyss
04-04-2014, 08:32 AM
I don't know who I'd place at number 2 behind bridgewater, but mettenberger is not there for me. All these guys have warts and are going to need seasoning. Mettenberger has very slow feet. So he's going to have to be extremely good at being a pocket qb if he wants to be a franchise guy. And I'm not sure he's there yet.

Next to accuracy, ball placement is the most important thing to me. It's not easy to tell if a guy has it or not, a lot of things to try to figure out what might have affected the throw, what the QB was thinking, what was the receiver supposed to do, where was the defense when the ball left his hand.... just a whole lot of stuff to take into consideration.

But it's easy to tell when the guy hasn't got a clue, or it's not a consideration when he throws the ball. I think Zach is closer to one of these guys. He was once one of my original six, but after watching more & more games I kept asking myself, "what the heck was he thinking"

I could be wrong, I could be way wrong, but it's very possible that he knows his receivers so well, that he was throwing balls that otherwise wouldn't make sense. His receivers were that good, that he could very well have been thinking that. But I'm going to err on the side of caution.

Playoffs
04-08-2014, 11:41 PM
Pro Day tomorrow!

kiwitexansfan
04-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Pro Day tomorrow!

Will be intrigued to see how far back he is.

leebigeztx
04-09-2014, 12:11 AM
Next to accuracy, ball placement is the most important thing to me. It's not easy to tell if a guy has it or not, a lot of things to try to figure out what might have affected the throw, what the QB was thinking, what was the receiver supposed to do, where was the defense when the ball left his hand.... just a whole lot of stuff to take into consideration.

But it's easy to tell when the guy hasn't got a clue, or it's not a consideration when he throws the ball. I think Zach is closer to one of these guys. He was once one of my original six, but after watching more & more games I kept asking myself, "what the heck was he thinking"

I could be wrong, I could be way wrong, but it's very possible that he knows his receivers so well, that he was throwing balls that otherwise wouldn't make sense. His receivers were that good, that he could very well have been thinking that. But I'm going to err on the side of caution.

His wrs makes a lot of plays for him too. His ball placement on regular throws are very inconsistent at best.

Trap_Star
04-09-2014, 12:17 AM
real question here is, will drake be in attendance?

IDEXAN
04-09-2014, 08:14 AM
real question here is, will drake be in attendance?

OK I bite, who's "drake" ?
Elsewhere, looking forward to reports on this PD as this guy is in the second tier with Garrapolo & McCarron and therefor on OB's radar.

kiwitexansfan
04-09-2014, 02:42 PM
OK I bite, who's "drake" ?
Elsewhere, looking forward to reports on this PD as this guy is in the second tier with Garrapolo & McCarron and therefor on OB's radar.

Drake is a rapper.

I am guessing that was a shot at JFF.

HOU-TEX
04-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Good grief

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer ∑ 8m
Mettenberger's got pads with him now, as his receivers warm up. #intrigue

NCTexan
04-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Ugh, I just found out you have to pay to watch the live stream on the LSU official website. What a pain. Anyone else have a different link?

Playoffs
04-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Ugh, I just found out you have to pay to watch the live stream on the LSU official website. What a pain. Anyone else have a different link?

Can't seem to locate one. Ridiculous.

Edit: will post links when promised videos are posted later today, tomorrow.

:photos:

DX-TEX
04-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans ∑ 1m
RT @DeepSlant: Mettenberger just 13 weeks out from surgery. Says O'Brien is a football genius he'd love to work with. pic.twitter.com/zoDMJF31sO

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkznFN_CYAAIQMb.jpg:large

OMG....he wear #8 and is as slow as Schaub.......

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5vtqyRoUN1qg5hkb.gif

kiwitexansfan
04-09-2014, 05:43 PM

Check that beard!

Not sure I can get behind drafting a QB with that hair though.

NCTexan
04-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Can't seem to locate one. Ridiculous.

Edit: will post links when promised videos are posted later today, tomorrow.

:photos:

Kinda bs to advertise it and then try and charge you for it imho.

Here's a report on it though:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2023188-zach-mettenberger-breaking-down-lsu-qbs-pro-day-workout

Hervoyel
04-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Check that beard!

I'm fine with him as long as he doesn't make a big deal out of getting it cut when he leads the Texans to two wins in a row.

I understand his Pro Day went well. That's good. I would not be unhappy with the Texans picking him at 2-1. Clowney and Mettenberger have been my preference all along. I don't think it will happen though. I think OB has a QB in mind and I don't think it's at 1-1 but I also don't think it's Mettenberger.

No telling though. Won't know until it's time.

IDEXAN
04-09-2014, 10:02 PM
I'm fine with him as long as he doesn't make a big deal out of getting it cut when he leads the Texans to two wins in a row.

I understand his Pro Day went well. That's good. I would not be unhappy with the Texans picking him at 2-1. Clowney and Mettenberger have been my preference all along. I don't think it will happen though. I think OB has a QB in mind and I don't think it's at 1-1 but I also don't think it's Mettenberger.

[B]No telling though. Won't know until it's time.
You are a big tease Hervy ! If you know tell us ! Or just tell us which QB you think OB will draft ?

Hervoyel
04-09-2014, 10:06 PM
You are a big tease Hervy ! If you know tell us ! Or just tell us which QB you think OB will draft ?

Like everyone else I have no idea. I just don't think we're targeting any of the big three. not unless we trade down and one makes it to us I guess. I just don't think they'll draft a QB at 1-1 this year.

Goldensilence
04-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Don't see him highly rated as some here. He's slow, been wholly inconsistent, and other than size and arm overall unimpressive.

He's going to either get buried in a depth chart or frustrate the hell out of a team hoping he comes around.

I'd take him 3.1 at best and sit at least a year.

Trap_Star
04-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Check that beard!

http://gamedayr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/zach-mettenberger-ron-burgundy.jpeg

IDEXAN
04-10-2014, 09:37 AM
Mettenberger, who had surgery on Jan. 2 to repair his left knee, threw nearly 125 passes and made every throw while wearing a helmet and shoulder pads -- the new trend started by fellow prospect Johnny Manziel last month.

The 6-foot-5, 224-pounder moved in the pocket and threw on the run at times. And he consistently showed off a big arm that many analysts consider to be among the strongest of this year's draft prospects.

Naturally, Mettenberger showed some signs of fatigue with a few mistimed throws. But observers said he threw even more balls than quarterbacks usually do. And his arm strength remained intact through the workout.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10758654/zach-mettenberger-shines-lsu-tigers-pro-day
Reports I've read so far indicate that Mettenberger did well at his PD. Didn't hear for sure who was there for the Texans ?

Mr teX
04-10-2014, 10:28 AM
RT @DeepSlant: Mettenberger just 13 weeks out from surgery. Says O'Brien is a football genius he'd love to work with. pic.twitter.com/zoDMJF31sO

OMG....he wear #8 and is as slow as Schaub.......

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5vtqyRoUN1qg5hkb.gif

From talent standpoint, he's light years ahead of Schaub. Bigger arm & much faster. Not gonna lie though, the thought of yet another 1 of our qb's wearing the #8 considering that #'s history....doesn't excite me.

Playoffs
04-10-2014, 10:44 AM
^^^Dude, resize that photo.

RosterWatch
Zach Mettenberger #LSU #ProDayTour Raw Footage: All Throws. http://t.co/pZ2zFaioFg

thunderkyss
04-10-2014, 12:11 PM

It's easy to do, just type widthsize=500 after the img in the img code:

imgwidthsize=200]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkznFN_CYAAIQMb.jpg:large[/imgwidthsize

Hervoyel
04-10-2014, 12:14 PM
From talent standpoint, he's light years ahead of Schaub. Bigger arm & much faster. Not gonna lie though, the thought of yet another 1 of our qb's wearing the #8 considering that #'s history....doesn't excite me.

Hey, all I ask is that THIS #8 make as big a leap over the previous #8 as the last one did.

If that happens we'll be just fine. :trophy:

Playoffs
04-10-2014, 12:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj_b-ug0LYs

Pretty concerning, imo. Could see a real NFL arm early on, but quickly deteriorated. Ball coming out of his hand funky at times, looks afraid of that front knee, inconsistent mechanics led to poor accuracy. Didn't look ready.

Trap_Star
04-10-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted for Playoffs sake.

Hervoyel
04-10-2014, 12:34 PM

Pretty concerning, imo. Could see a real NFL arm early on, but quickly deteriorated. Ball coming out of his hand funky at times, looks afraid of that front knee, inconsistent mechanics led to poor accuracy. Didn't look ready.

That's not what I saw but then people who don't like him see one thing and people who do see another. He threw 125 passes. That's a long day at the office for anybody but a guy who isn't in football shape probably shouldn't have attempted that many. 10 hit the ground I understand. Watching that video I saw about 5 passes just flat out get dropped. Now being fair I also saw around 5 or so passes where the receiver just bailed him out so that's kind of a wash to my mind. Maybe he shouldn't have tried to throw so much but I see that he was attempting to put people's minds at ease where his being ready to go in 2014 is concerned. I just think he may have settled one concern while shifting the focus to another area (accuracy).

I liked what I saw overall though. I'd take him at 2-1 and be glad I got him there but like I said. I like him so I see that. You aren't all that high on him so you see the opposite.

Mr teX
04-10-2014, 12:39 PM

In all honesty, you can attribute some of that to rust & the bolded is the case for most guys coming off ACL surgery. I'd be very much ok with us taking him somewhere in the middle of the 2nd...not 2:1 overall though I think they'll be too many other players for us to take there that might be able to contribute immediately.

bhsman
04-11-2014, 03:27 AM
Yeah, he's only 3 months removed from surgery at this rate.

Playoffs
05-03-2014, 12:47 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmpC9itIMAAUyfR.jpg

Greg Cosell, Adam Caplan, Mettenberger, Ron Jaworski grinding film.

Zach is Cosell's 2nd ranked QB in this year's draft.

thunderkyss
05-03-2014, 05:11 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmpC9itIMAAUyfR.jpg

Greg Cosell, Adam Caplan, Mettenberger, Ron Jaworski grinding film.

Zach is Cosell's 2nd ranked QB in this year's draft.

A little off topic... but it makes sense that every team has a different QB board right?

Some teams are going to value athleticism more than others. Some teams value smarts. Some teams want a mature QB who knows all the basic. Some teams want a guy who threw a lot of balls, ran a no huddle, & was a threat to run. Some teams are going to like that pocket passer.

So depending on who has the first pick, or who takes the first QB, that first guy changes.

The Pencil Neck
05-03-2014, 06:40 PM
A little off topic... but it makes sense that every team has a different QB board right?

Some teams are going to value athleticism more than others. Some teams value smarts. Some teams want a mature QB who knows all the basic. Some teams want a guy who threw a lot of balls, ran a no huddle, & was a threat to run. Some teams are going to like that pocket passer.

So depending on who has the first pick, or who takes the first QB, that first guy changes.

Exactly.

There are 32 boards out there that count and hundreds that don't.

Fans place entirely too much emphasis and give too much credit to the hundreds that don't.

There are going to be some teams that have Bortles as the top guy and some that have Manziel and some that have Bridgewater or McCarron or Mettenberger or whatever. And then there are going to be teams that don't even have those guys on their board because they don't see them as fitting what they want to do at all.

The boards the 32 teams have don't have 500 guys on them, they've only got about 100 or so and they concentrate on people they see as having the right skills and potentials to be on their team and do what they want to do.

Texian
05-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m

Details ó-> RT @David_Ely: From @RapSheet teams have medically flagged LSU QB Zach Mettenberger over a back condition http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000347275/article/back-issue-flags-lsu-qb-zach-mettenberger Ö

LikeMike
05-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Let`s get Zach in the 6th round... seriously though, there are a lot of reasons to be scared of him, I wouldn`t touch him in the first 3 rounds (and not all of these reasons are medical, his play leaves plenty of questions as well).

Troy Chapman
05-07-2014, 12:51 PM
failed drug screen, then back issues + past history. He could fall way down the board.

CloakNNNdagger
05-07-2014, 01:22 PM
...@RapSheet: Sources: #LSU QB Zach Mettenberger's back was red-flagged by several teams prior to #NFLDraft. He has Spondylolysis, treated non-surgically.

DocBar
05-07-2014, 01:45 PM
... Is it a big deal, CnD?

"Did it flare up in his career? Yes. We would treat it and he'd be fine," Marucci said. "It wasn't something we thought was a chronic disc or something. He doesn't need surgery. There's no surgery for it. He's worked with our doctors. This shouldn't be a big deal as long as you treat it, we did some core stabilization. His senior year, we didn't even talk about it."

Hervoyel
05-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Unfortunate news about his back issues. I am also curious as to whether this is going to rule him out. How bad is it Cloak?

Playoffs
05-07-2014, 04:47 PM
A primer while we wait for our medical expert to weigh in:

http://www.methodistorthopedics.com/lumbar-spondylolysis

CloakNNNdagger
05-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Is it a big deal, CnD?

Most people would recognize the condition under the name "degenerative disc disease." Five % of the population has it and never known it. Other people can have it diagnosed and virtually have no symptoms. And others can have it with variable levels of symptomatic presentation.......pain, numbness, weakness and loss of muscle coordination.......essentially "pinched nerve" symptoms.

http://www.spinecarechiropractic.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/spinal_disc_hernia.jpg

As the process progresses various cartilage and boney surfaces of opposing vertebrae are worn away, leading to progressive arthritis and, when severe enough..........vertebral fusion.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/sites/default/files/legacy-images/facetjoints2_250-BB.jpg

http://hornchiro.com/clients/3842/images/degenerative_disc.jpg

However, this is typically a condition that occurs more in an aging population. Mettenberger is certainly not an octagonarian. So we have to look to trauma as the source of the degeneration. In a normal population, spondylosis can be controlled with attentive conservative treatment. Heavily trauma-exposed NFL players are not the "normal population." There is one very important fact that we don't know at this point..........at what anatomic level is the spondylosis located (and how many levels of individual vertebrae are involved). The reason this would make a difference is that if he is experiencing the problem at the thoracic level, affect on performance, likely hood of significant progression, and need for surgery would be quite uncommon. This is not the case for cervical or lumbar spondylosis, which is more likely to be more difficult to treat conservatively, leading to significant loss of playing time, and then eventually to possibly surgery.

Hervoyel
05-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Interesting. I have degenerative disc disease (didn't realize they were the same thing) and it's pretty much a life in pain for me. I don't see how this man could have a lengthy career even under the best of circumstances if he's just starting out in the NFL and this is already a problem.

That's a damn shame.

kiwitexansfan
05-07-2014, 09:39 PM
Mettenberger's stock must be dropping like a rock.

If we could get him with 4:35 I would be dancing the specnatz :specnatz:

DocBar
05-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Most people would recognize the condition under the name "degenerative disc disease." Five % of the population has it and never known it. Other people can have it diagnosed and virtually have no symptoms. And others can have it with variable levels of symptomatic presentation.......pain, numbness, weakness and loss of muscle coordination.......essentially "pinched nerve" symptoms.

http://www.spinecarechiropractic.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/spinal_disc_hernia.jpg

As the process progresses various cartilage and boney surfaces of opposing vertebrae are worn away, leading to progressive arthritis and, when severe enough..........vertebral fusion.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/sites/default/files/legacy-images/facetjoints2_250-BB.jpg

http://hornchiro.com/clients/3842/images/degenerative_disc.jpg

However, this is typically a condition that occurs more in an aging population. Mettenberger is certainly not an octagonarian. So we have to look to trauma as the source of the degeneration. In a normal population, spondylosis can be controlled with attentive conservative treatment. Heavily trauma-exposed NFL players are not the "normal population." There is one very important fact that we don't know at this point..........at what anatomic level is the spondylosis located (and how many levels of individual vertebrae are involved). The reason this would make a difference is that if he is experiencing the problem at the thoracic level, affect on performance, likely hood of significant progression, and need for surgery would be quite uncommon. This is not the case for cervical or lumbar spondylosis, which is more likely to be more difficult to treat conservatively, leading to significant loss of playing time, and then eventually to possibly surgery.Ah. hell...take a shot and get back out there!!!! :sarcasm:.... Great post. Thanks for all the info.

This doesn't scare me off if he's available in the 4th or later. That seems like a reasonable risk/reward spot, especially when you consider the Texans' success with 4th and later draft picks. :smiliepalm:

DocBar
05-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Interesting. I have degenerative disc disease (didn't realize they were the same thing) and it's pretty much a life in pain for me. I don't see how this man could have a lengthy career even under the best of circumstances if he's just starting out in the NFL and this is already a problem.

That's a damn shame.My wife has this same thing and is in constant, debilitating pain. I was found to have this in a recent MRI and I have zero back pain. I had sciatica issues years ago, quit carrying a fat trifold wallet in my back pocket and haven't had a back issue since. backs/spines are weird ducks. I'd risk a 3rd day pick on the guy and not worry about it at all. The diluted drug test doesn't worry me, either.

steelbtexan
05-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Lack of mobility and ball placement worry me more than watered down urine and the back issues.

I had Mettenberger as 3rd/4th rd pick. Now he's a solid 4-1.

DocBar
05-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Lack of mobility and ball placement worry me more than watered down urine and the back issues.

I had Mettenberger as 3rd/4th rd pick. Now he's a solid 4-1.Hmmm. Before the back issue, I'd be good with him at 2.1. I think he has lots of potential. Maybe I'm just partial to SEC QB's, though. I like Manziel, Murray and McCarron a lot, too.

thunderkyss
05-07-2014, 11:32 PM
I think he has lots of potential. Maybe I'm just partial to SEC QB's, though. I like Manziel, Murray and McCarron a lot, too.

I'm not. But this year, it just happens that the best QBs have that one thing in common.

Best QBs in my mind. I don't know what's going on with the media ratings this year. All upside down & backwards if you ask me.

DocBar
05-07-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm not. But this year, it just happens that the best QBs have that one thing in common.

Best QBs in my mind. I don't know what's going on with the media ratings this year. All upside down & backwards if you ask me.??? Not sure what you're getting at.

Texecutioner
05-07-2014, 11:50 PM
Hmmm. Before the back issue, I'd be good with him at 2.1. I think he has lots of potential. Maybe I'm just partial to SEC QB's, though. I like Manziel, Murray and McCarron a lot, too.

WHy are you partial to SEC QB"s when they aren't the elite best usually. Their defensive players are, but the SEC isn't known for it's outstanding QB's.

DocBar
05-08-2014, 12:01 AM
WHy are you partial to SEC QB"s when they aren't the elite best usually. Their defensive players are, but the SEC isn't known for it's outstanding QB's.I dunno. Because?

thunderkyss
05-08-2014, 12:16 AM
??? Not sure what you're getting at.

Just agreeing with you. I think.

I'm not partial to SEC QBs. I generally hate all things SEC.

But they've got a good bunch of QBs coming out this year.

DocBar
05-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Just agreeing with you. I think.

I'm not partial to SEC QBs. I generally hate all things SEC.

But they've got a good bunch of QBs coming out this year.LOL. Me too.

Hervoyel
05-10-2014, 10:23 AM
So, Mettenberger or McCarron I think today. Wonder which one they'll grab? My brain says McCarron but my gut says Mett. I'd rather have Mett's even with the back issue and diluted urine sample, and knee injury, and #8, and the funky Lil' Abner beard and expression.....

But I bet it's game-manager McCarron (which I have no problem with)

I think we move up to grab a QB today. We got all that ammo in round 6 and 7 and I think we spend some of it swapping 4.35 for something higher. We've seen Bridgewater nabbed in front of us, Polo nabbed in front of us, and now I think they finally grab the guy they've "been wanting all along". They'll say that whether it's true or not of course.

rmartin65
05-10-2014, 10:34 AM
So, Mettenberger or McCarron I think today. Wonder which one they'll grab? My brain says McCarron but my gut says Mett. I'd rather have Mett's even with the back issue and diluted urine sample, and knee injury, and #8, and the funky Lil' Abner beard and expression.....

I think we move up to grab a QB today. We got all that ammo in round 6 and 7 and I think we spend some of it swapping 4.35 for something higher. We've seen Bridgewater nabbed in front of us, Polo nabbed in front of us, and now I think they finally grab the guy they've "been wanting all along". They'll say that whether it's true or not of course.

The problem is we can't swap 4.35 since it is a comp pick (can't be traded).

I think we just have to wait (and hope) until our pick.

Hervoyel
05-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Damn! Forgot about that. Well, guess we'll have to wait and see what happens then.

rmartin65
05-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Damn! Forgot about that. Well, guess we'll have to wait and see what happens then.

Yeah, it is a bummer. But I think we have a decent chance that one of the QBs drop- Murray, McCarron, Mettenburger, Savage. Those are 4 guys who have been discussed as 3rd-5th rounders. Each possess qualities that make them intriguing. And, not to cross-contaminate threads, but I would prefer any of those guys to Keenum.

Thorn
05-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Yeah, it is a bummer. But I think we have a decent chance that one of the QBs drop- Murray, McCarron, Mettenburger, Savage. Those are 4 guys who have been discussed as 3rd-5th rounders. Each possess qualities that make them intriguing. And, not to cross-contaminate threads, but I would prefer any of those guys to Keenum.

Honestly, I don't care who the QB is as long as we get one (or already have one) that BoB likes and wants to groom. Winning a super bowl is more important that our individual likes and dislikes at any one position.

bah007
05-10-2014, 01:09 PM
We could put together our first 6th with our 7th to maybe move into the 5th somewhere.

drs23
05-10-2014, 01:39 PM

In the back of my mind I'm thinking this is the day we find out that O'Brien liked Savage all along and will let him come to us.

Just a hunch 'cause I don't even know the janitor. Or his gardner.:kitten:

Texecutioner
05-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Hopefully they don't lay a finger on McCarron and especially Mettenberger. Mettenberger should be a UDFA. McCarron would be about as good as Andy Dalton or Alex Smith at best. I have no idea why anyone would want to waste years on a guy who would ultimately hold the team back when it came down to a point if they rest of the team is really good. Those are the absolute worst QB's to have on your roster. Being just good enough to keep around and hope that they'll be a big time player one day, but ultimately never will. That was Matt Schaub to a T.

drs23
05-10-2014, 01:53 PM
In the back of my mind I'm thinking this is the day we find out that O'Brien liked Savage all along and will let him come to us.

Dayum, I'm good! :cowboy1:

Thorn
05-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Dayum, I'm good! :cowboy1:

Yep, you called that one. I'm thinking we'll let loose of two late draft picks and move up into the 5th. I wonder if I'm as good as you. LOL

Hervoyel
05-10-2014, 02:13 PM

Good call