PDA

View Full Version : Texan Opportunity Browns willing to trade up, if necessary,4 Manziel

srrono
01-19-2014, 01:22 PM
The NFL Draft wonít start until May 8, but the Browns have already been linked to Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel countless times through various reports.

The general narrative is something along these lines: Although the Browns donít have a head coach yet, the front office is infatuated with Manziel and plans to target him with the fourth overall pick.

But what if one of the teams selecting ahead of the Browns Ė the Houston Texans (No. 1 overall pick), St. Louis Rams (No. 2) or Jacksonville Jaguars (No. 3) -- wants Manziel? Or what if another team makes a trade to leapfrog the Browns because itís targeting Manziel?
Full story here (http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/2014-nfl-draft-browns-willing-to-trade-up-if-necessary-to-nab-johnny-manziel-according-to-report-1.460449)

Texans may be able to rob the Browns like the Rams did the Redskins.

Texian
01-19-2014, 01:28 PM
If the Texans are dead set on QB who they think is their QB of the future (Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater) and decide to trade the pick to the Browns at #4, there is 90% chance that Texans will lose out on all of the Big 3. Once the #1 is traded it becomes a lot cheaper for teams to trade to #2 for a QB and Jax at #3 take a QB and the Texans are left empty handed.

ATXtexanfan
01-19-2014, 01:30 PM
If the Texans are dead set on QB who they think is their QB of the future (Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater) and decide to trade the pick to the Browns at #4, there is 90% chance that Texans will lose out on all of the Big 3. Once the #1 is traded it becomes a lot cheaper for teams to trade to #2 for a QB and Jax at #3 take a QB and the Texans are left empty handed.

completely agree on this

Texn4life
01-19-2014, 01:52 PM
The only way I make that trade is if I get the Browns to swap firsts, get their other #1 this year, and either their #2 or #3 this year and that probably isn't going to happen.

Honoring Earl 34
01-19-2014, 02:05 PM
The Browns don't have a coach yet and a good selling point is two 1st round picks .

srrono
01-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Christopher Hansen ‏@ChrisHansenNFL 4m

Browns don't like Manziel, but they sure want someone else to think so so another guy will drop. No way you let that info leak this early.
Expand

steelbtexan
01-19-2014, 02:34 PM

My dream scenario would be to get Cleveland to trade 4-25 and a 2015 1st for #1

Then draft Clowney #4/Nix #25, trade #33 for Mallett and Moses #66.

Playoffs
01-19-2014, 02:34 PM
A bunch of hooey... a story bootstrapped off another, pulled from another that was about Gus Malzahn. I'm not gonna say that LaCanfora makes stuff up trying to raise his profile out of the shadows of Schefter & Mortensen, but... he does a lot of "if"ing. :spin:

Bulls on Parade
01-19-2014, 04:36 PM
I wouldn't mind if we end up with Jadeveon Clowney, Anthony Barr or Jake Matthews at 4 and still have the Browns' 26th pick in round one, along with whatever else we can snag from them. I'm open to trading the first pick most definitely.

mussop
01-19-2014, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't mind if we end up with Jadeveon Clowney, Anthony Barr or Jake Matthews at 4 and still have the Browns' 26th pick in round one, along with whatever else we can snag from them. I'm open to trading the first pick most definitely.

Hell any of those guys or Watkins or whichever OT grades the highest or Bortles or Bridgewater is fine by me, as long as the compensation is right. I want both their first and next years first.

WolverineFan
01-19-2014, 05:19 PM

On the bright side, if the QB's go 1-2-3 then we no longer have to worry about picking the wrong one and can just take Clowney.

Of course, if we trade back from #1 to #4 and don't take a QB, then it will be pretty apparent that we didn't think much of any of them anyway.

JCTexan
01-19-2014, 05:19 PM
Hell any of those guys or Watkins or whichever OT grades the highest or Bortles or Bridgewater is fine by me, as long as the compensation is right. I want both their first and next years first.

I think Watkins will be a beast in the NFL but I don't think he's realistic for the Texans considering we have two first round WR's on this team already. I don't see either Hopkins or Watkins being a #3 WR next year.

aussie_texan
01-19-2014, 05:22 PM
if the texans FO evaluate one of the top 3 QBs as franchise players then they must take him at 1.1 if not trading down to 1.4 will be great

stingray
01-19-2014, 05:48 PM
It makes more sense that the Browns trade with the Rams not the Texans. Because if the Texans really want manziel then they wont trade with the Browns. And after the Texans, the only team that could draft manziel is the Jags. So the Browns just need to move up to pick #2.

matts290
01-19-2014, 05:50 PM
It makes more sense that the Browns trade with the Rams not the Texans. Because if the Texans really want manziel then they wont trade with the Browns. And after the Texans, the only team that could draft manziel is the Jags. So the Browns just need to move up to pick #2.

I mentioned the same line of thinking but was told I am dumb and wrong. :kitten:

aussie_texan
01-19-2014, 05:51 PM
are the rams going to want to move back only 2 spots? i think there is a good chance the vikings could move up in this draft. they are way to far back to get a top 3 QB if they really like won only way to do it is move up

stingray
01-19-2014, 05:56 PM
are the rams going to want to move back only 2 spots? i think there is a good chance the vikings could move up in this draft. they are way to far back to get a top 3 QB if they really like won only way to do it is move up

Why not? They could still land clowney or matthews with the 4th pick. They could get the browns 4th pick their other 1s round pick and another 3rd to boot and still get clowney or matthews.

aussie_texan
01-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Why not? They could still land clowney or matthews with the 4th pick. They could get the browns 4th pick their other 1s round pick and another 3rd to boot and still get clowney or matthews.

depends how much the browns want to give up. the statements on manziel seem like a pretty clear smoke screen so they can get the QB they want perhaps while staying put at 4.

Obviously its all speculation at this point

Playoffs
01-19-2014, 06:07 PM

Yeah but how long until they figure this out in Cleveland? Could be months. :kitten:

We need two teams to fall in love with the same guy. Maybe it'll be Clowney that teams trade up for?

HJam72
01-19-2014, 06:36 PM
I mentioned the same line of thinking but was told I am dumb and wrong. :kitten:
Well, whether or not it's right depends on who says it. :jk:

HJam72
01-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Yeah but how long until they figure this out in Cleveland? Could be months. :kitten:

We need two teams to fall in love with the same guy. Maybe it'll be Clowney that teams trade up for?

Wouldn't that be nice if we could trade down and still get Bridgewater, LOL.

mussop
01-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Well, whether or not it's right depends on who says it. :jk:

If they really want him they need to trade up with us. Because until we make the pick there is a chance we could draft him or trade down with another team that wants him. So yes what you are saying is true but only after our pick has been made b

matts290
01-19-2014, 07:31 PM
If they really want him they need to trade up with us. Because until we make the pick there is a chance we could draft him or trade down with another team that wants him. So yes what you are saying is true but only after our pick has been made b

I don't think anyone would trade the pick before the draft even started, of course the potential trade would or wouldn't go down until after our pick was made...

michaelm
01-19-2014, 10:54 PM

Not necessarily. Let's say the Browns trade up to #2, then the Texans trade with a team that wants Manziel. oops, sorry Browns, no JFF for you.

JB
01-19-2014, 10:55 PM
I don't think anyone would trade the pick before the draft even started, of course the potential trade would or wouldn't go down until after our pick was made...

If a trade is made it will more than likely be worked out in advance unless their or multiple bidders, it won't be announce until we are on the official clock

Texian
01-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Not necessarily. Let's say the Browns trade up to #2, then the Texans trade with a team that wants Manziel. oops, sorry Browns, no JFF for you.

If a trade is made it will more than likely be worked out in advance unless their or multiple bidders, it won't be announce until we are on the official clock

Any team wanting to trade up to #2 would not do so until after the Texans have made their pick making sure their player is still on the board. It's the only Guarantee.

stingray
01-19-2014, 11:01 PM

I was assuming that the browns would only make a trade after the texans pick. Im assuming that the jags are not in love with manziel and would only pick him if it was their pick and not give up the farm to get him.

matts290
01-19-2014, 11:04 PM
Any team wanting to trade up to #2 would not do so until after the Texans have made their pick making sure their player is still on the board. It's the only Guarantee.

Exactly, the draft goes in numerical order, meaning if we do trade our pick to someone other than the Browns, then they will have time to decide if they still want to trade up to the Rams at #2...I don't know why this is a hard concept to grasp. Nothing is set in stone pre-draft, snap decision and alternate scenarios come up all the time, hence the name "War Room".

JB
01-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Exactly, the draft goes in numerical order, meaning if we do trade our pick to someone other than the Browns, then they will have time to decide if they still want to trade up to the Rams at #2...I don't know why this is a hard concept to grasp. Nothing is set in stone pre-draft, snap decision and alternate scenarios come up all the time, hence the name "War Room".

I thought the premise is that the Browns would trade with us if they want JFF

matts290
I still stand by my belief that we will not be trading the first overall pick. It just doesn't happen very often and scenarios that are being brought up in this thread are one of the many reasons why. I think one of Teddy, Bortles, Manziel, Clowney, Matthews will present themselves as a legitimate 1.1 pick by draft time and we will take that person the coaches best see fit.

Plus this is all assuming the Browns would even want to give up what we hypothetically want (their second first rounder) which I have my doubts about. They made a great tactical move to acquire that pick from the Colts, and the Browns have plenty of needs to just like us that the Colts pick could be useful for.

michaelm

I was assuming that the browns would only make a trade after the texans pick. Im assuming that the jags are not in love with manziel and would only pick him if it was their pick and not give up the farm to get him.

All valid points, but the only way the Browns can be assured to get Manziel is to trade with the Texans. Whether the Browns trade to #2 or not, the Texans could trade with another team that wants JFF at any time.

matts290
01-19-2014, 11:14 PM
I thought the premise is that the Browns would trade with us if they want JFF

I think the premise is that: The Browns want Manziel, are willing to trade up to get him, but it may come at a cheaper price to negotiate with the Rams as well because if we are presumably open to trading them the 1.1 pick, then that means we are not interested in Manziel, and the Browns could just as well get him at the Rams #2 pick....But, if we were to suddenly trade our first pick to someone else besides the Browns, and they take Manziel, then that would ruin their plans to trade up to the Rams pick.

Does that even make sense because it kinda doesn't to me. :thinking::P

aussie_texan
01-19-2014, 11:18 PM
maybe they want TB.

JB
01-19-2014, 11:22 PM
I think the premise is that: The Browns want Manziel, are willing to trade up to get him, but it may come at a cheaper price to negotiate with the Rams as well because if we are presumably open to trading them the 1.1 pick, then that means we are not interested in Manziel, and the Browns could just as well get him at the Rams #2 pick....But, if we were to suddenly trade our first pick to someone else besides the Browns, and they take Manziel, then that would ruin their plans to trade up to the Rams pick.

lol

maybe they want TB.

If they don't know who we want, and they want someone bad enough they will trade with us, if not we hope someone else does

steelbtexan
01-19-2014, 11:53 PM
BoB',is infatuated with JFF keep those Aggies coming to Reliant.

If the Browns want JFF they have to pay the price.

Dutchrudder
01-20-2014, 12:17 AM
We are not trading the number 1 pick. A new offensive minded HC will want his pick of the QBs because his job depends on it. Trading it would be too risky. OB needs to pick a QB and hitch his wagon to him for the next 4 years. St Louis is the logical trade spot for the Browns.

revan
01-20-2014, 01:18 AM
The game between GMs and owners have begun, they are throwing smoke screens all around, Im not going to believe anyone of these guys until at least the combine. I seriously doubt they are really going to do this with no HC in place, heck not even a leading candidate is up in the running for the Browns lol.

Marshall
01-20-2014, 07:51 AM
The only way I make that trade is if I get the Browns to swap firsts, get their other #1 this year, and either their #2 or #3 this year and that probably isn't going to happen.

I'd rather have their 1-4; 1-26 and number 1 in 2015. Maybe their 3rd to complete the deal.

Marshall
01-20-2014, 08:16 AM
Wouldn't that be nice if we could trade down and still get Bridgewater, LOL.

Trade down to 1-2 so St. Louis (or their trading partner can get Clowney)
1-1 (3000) to St Louis
2-33 (580) to St Louis
3-65 (265) to St Louis

1-2 (2600) to Houston
1-13 (1150) to Houston
4-109 (76) to Houston

Trade down to 1-3 so Jacksonville can take Bortles.

1-2 (2600) to Jacksonville
4-97 (112) to Jacksonville

1-3 to Houston (2200)
2-35 to Houston (550)

Trade down to Cleveland so they can take Manziel.

1-3 (2200) to Cleveland
2-35 (550)to Cleveland

1-4 (1800) to Houston
1-26 (700) to Houston
3-68 (250) to Houston

Leaving us with:

1-4 TB?
1-13 Mosley/Hicks/Evans
1-26 Amaro/Martin/Tuitt
3-68
4-109
in the first 4 rounds

Each team must know we are willing to take 'their guy' if they do not trade for him.

Marshall
01-20-2014, 09:41 AM

It makes perfect sense. If we are willing to trade with anyone, say Minnesota or Oakland, then their guy may not be there at the Rams 2, so they can only be sure by trading with us. We would prefer a trading partner near the top with extra picks, but the other teams mentioned drive up the demand and may make a more outrageous offer.

Marshall
01-20-2014, 10:00 AM
The Browns don't have a coach yet and a good selling point is two 1st round picks .

I think the Browns have just about run out of legitimate HC candidates.

ChampionTexan
01-20-2014, 10:03 AM

Clearly, that has never bothered them before.

Marshall
01-20-2014, 10:07 AM

That's true. They once hired OB, didn't they?

ChampionTexan
01-20-2014, 10:10 AM

No - they didn't!

Dutchrudder
01-20-2014, 10:12 AM

They interviewed OB last year, but went with Chudzinski.

Marshall
01-20-2014, 10:16 AM
No - they didn't!

Oh! Right! That was Bill Belicheat, wasn't it. Our coaches role model.

infantrycak
01-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Oh! Right! That was Bill Belicheat, wasn't it. Our coaches role model.

Different team. That would be the now Baltimore Ravens.

Texian
01-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Different team. That would be the now Baltimore Ravens.

I think the Belicheat reference was to spygate and the New England Patriots.

infantrycak
01-20-2014, 12:07 PM
I think the Belicheat reference was to spygate and the New England Patriots.

Sure it was:

infantrycak
01-20-2014, 12:13 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000314947/article/report-browns-willing-to-trade-up-for-johnny-manziel.

Browns open to trading up, for what it is worth. Heard this morning on the radio, finally found a link for you guys.

Happy monday!
:snowday:

Relocated at 516's request.

Texian
01-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Sure it was:

cak are you OK? You're not making much sense today.

TexansFTW
01-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Wow, I just read this whole thread. What a waste of time, lol.

Just completely asinine trade scenarios and hypothetical what if's being thrown around.

This is going to be a LONG off-season.

Allstar
01-20-2014, 02:27 PM
cak are you OK? You're not making much sense today.

What doesn't make sense?

Errant Hothy
01-20-2014, 02:31 PM
All the evidence we needs as to why nobody wants the Browns job. Who would want to coach that mess and be immediately handcuffed by a trade like this?

rmartin65
01-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Wow, I just read this whole thread. What a waste of time, lol.

Just completely asinine trade scenarios and hypothetical what if's being thrown around.

This is going to be a LONG off-season.

My favorite is the one on the previous page that has us going from 1-1 to 1-2 to 1-3 to 1-4. Sounds plausible.

WolverineFan
01-20-2014, 04:26 PM
My favorite is the one on the previous page that has us going from 1-1 to 1-2 to 1-3 to 1-4. Sounds plausible.

Used to do it all the time in Madden. Built super powers man.

Allstar
01-20-2014, 04:40 PM

That makes sense unless there are 2 players they are in love with a la Washington with Luck/Griffin.

Dutchrudder
01-20-2014, 05:09 PM

Add in a 3rd rounder from the Raiders for Schaub and you got yourself quite a draft.

ziggy29
01-20-2014, 05:12 PM
I'd be afraid if I were a top QB being eyed by the Browns. Look at their relatively recent 1st round QB picks: Tim Couch, Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden.

thunderkyss
01-20-2014, 07:59 PM

Makes perfect sense.

The Browns let the Texans know they are willing to trade so they can get Manziel. The Texans agree, so the Browns know they aren't interested in Manziel. So they rescind their offer.

They tell the Rams they are willing to trade up so they can get Manziel. The Rams agree in principle, if Manziel is there. This tells the Browns the Rams aren't interested in Manziel, so they rescind that offer.

The Browns tell the Jags they are willing to trade up to get Manziel. Like the Rams, they agree in principle... signalling they aren't interested in Manziel. The Browns rescind that offer. So their stuck with the #4 pick & have to ask themselves..... has a midget ever been selected in the top 5 of the NFL draft?

Marshall
01-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Makes perfect sense.

The Browns let the Texans know they are willing to trade so they can get Manziel. The Texans agree, so the Browns know they aren't interested in Manziel. So they rescind their offer.

They tell the Rams they are willing to trade up so they can get Manziel. The Rams agree in principle, if Manziel is there. This tells the Browns the Rams aren't interested in Manziel, so they rescind that offer.

The Browns tell the Jags they are willing to trade up to get Manziel. Like the Rams, they agree in principle... signalling they aren't interested in Manziel. The Browns rescind that offer. So their stuck with the #4 pick & have to ask themselves..... has a midget ever been selected in the top 5 of the NFL draft?

The flaw in this logic is that a willingness to trade does not mean the Texans won't pick their guy. It just mean they are willing to wheel and deal. Also that willingness to deal makes them a candidate for other QB hungry teams like Oakland or Minnesota. Cleveland rescinds and Texans trade with Oakland. Oakland picks Manziel and Cleveland is stuck with Clowney or Carr.

Trading with Texas is the only way to certainty until they pick.

thunderkyss
01-20-2014, 08:21 PM
The flaw in this logic is that a willingness to trade does not mean the Texans won't pick their guy.

:toropalm:

Oilers_57
01-20-2014, 08:25 PM

With all due respect, it was probably just the way you said it, all dumb and wrong and stuff.

Playoffs
01-20-2014, 08:27 PM
The Browns let the Texans know they are willing to trade so they can get Manziel. The Texans agree, so the Browns know they aren't interested in Manziel. So they rescind their offer...

Then the Texans trade the pick to the Vikings who also love Manziel's Tarkentoness... or the Raiders who lust for Johnny "Hard Knocks" Football... or the Jets who think Manziel is Broadway Johnny... or Tennessee who want Manziel in Possum Holler...

See what happens when there's more than one team who wants a face of the franchise QB? :truck:

TheIronDuke
01-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Trade down to 1-2 so St. Louis (or their trading partner can get Clowney)
1-1 (3000) to St Louis
2-33 (580) to St Louis
3-65 (265) to St Louis

1-2 (2600) to Houston
1-13 (1150) to Houston
4-109 (76) to Houston

Trade down to 1-3 so Jacksonville can take Bortles.

1-2 (2600) to Jacksonville
4-97 (112) to Jacksonville

1-3 to Houston (2200)
2-35 to Houston (550)

Trade down to Cleveland so they can take Manziel.

1-3 (2200) to Cleveland
2-35 (550)to Cleveland

1-4 (1800) to Houston
1-26 (700) to Houston
3-68 (250) to Houston

Leaving us with:

1-4 TB?
1-13 Mosley/Hicks/Evans
1-26 Amaro/Martin/Tuitt
3-68
4-109
in the first 4 rounds

Each team must know we are willing to take 'their guy' if they do not trade for him.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/goopslinger/34hudxd.gif

aussie_texan
01-20-2014, 09:14 PM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/goopslinger/34hudxd.gif

my lord did i laugh when i saw this gif. that is quite funny

OzzO
02-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Browns being "linked" to LOVING anyone and everyone it seems.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on NFL Insiders that the new Browns OC "loves" Cousins, and Adam Schefter suggests that Shanahan is interested in initiating trade talks for the Redskins backup QB.

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/could-kirk-cousins-be-the-new-browns-qb-020314

I think there were a few wanting Cousins here as well, but Cousins threw for 747 yards and four touchdowns with five interceptions while starting for the injured RGIII in the final three games of the 2013 season.

Dutchrudder
02-04-2014, 09:40 AM
The Browns have 3 extra picks on top of their normal 7, so they have the stuff to make it happen. They have an extra 1st, 3rd and 4th. Cousins was an early 4th round pick by the Redskins in 2011, so I would imagine it would take a 2nd and a 4th to pry him away. Or maybe a 2nd and a 2015 conditional pick. QBs tend to bring a premium when they have potential.

Playoffs
02-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Browns being "linked" to LOVING anyone and everyone it seems.

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/could-kirk-cousins-be-the-new-browns-qb-020314

I think there were a few wanting Cousins here as well, but

This we know is true, that Baby Shanny loves Cousins. Question is how smart would it be for Redskins to part with him, and how much would they get?

Honoring Earl 34
02-04-2014, 10:43 AM
This we know is true, that Baby Shanny loves Cousins. Question is how smart would it be for Redskins to part with him, and how much would they get?

I thought it was Titan fan who loved them some cousins ? :turtle:

Playoffs
02-04-2014, 11:57 AM
I thought it was Titan fan who loved them some cousins ? :turtle:

True dat. http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii269/theogrit/1sm241farmer.gif

http://www.talkweather.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rimshot.gif

TexansFTW
02-04-2014, 02:13 PM
I think there were a few wanting Cousins here as well, but

In addition to your 4 TD 5 INT statement you bolded. People forget that he was set up TO COMPLETELY succeed against some of the sorriest defenses in the NFL and a couple that had NOTHING to play for and he completely fell on his face.