PDA

View Full Version : Do people still believe we will have a KC type turnaround next year?

speedfreek
01-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Before the Obrien hire I thought chances of that were slim
at best.

After saturday, I find it impossible to believe this team has
a winning record next year when the entire coaching staff is
turned over.

When I think of how many players will have to be brough in,
and how many will be playing at new positions (or in totally
different schemes) --

I think 6-10 would be a good start..

Honoring Earl 34
01-05-2014, 09:50 AM
at best.

turned over.

different schemes) --

I think the Texans will have a last place schedule with a better team .

ziggy29
01-05-2014, 09:52 AM
I don't know, but we did have a few KC-like second halves this season...

That said, if the team stays healthy and believes in the coaching staff, and if the QB situation can be at least upgraded to "league average" I wouldn't think 8-8 is out of the question, especially with the weaker schedule of a last place team. Though in reality I think 6-10 is probably more in the ballpark.

DBCooper
01-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Pessimism!

It's what's for breakfast!

HJam72
01-05-2014, 10:17 AM
19-0. :gamer: :koolaid:

steelbtexan
01-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Nope

Too many holes, even with a last place schedule.

Playoffs
01-05-2014, 10:34 AM
No.

Steep learning curve at QB and for WRs.

I expect a better second half as they get their timing down.

And I think we need to draft some team leaders.

A time to chill
01-05-2014, 10:54 AM
I think it's entirely possible for this team to make it to the playoffs. It will depend a great deal on how good of a coach O'Brien is. We'll have the #1 pick and the easiest schedule so there's no reason to say that 6-10 is the most we can hope for next year. If we do go 6-10, then we are in for another era of mediocrity.

phantom17
01-05-2014, 10:56 AM
We will find out next season!:toropalm:

LikeMike
01-05-2014, 11:04 AM
I think we need:

A stud NT
A good OLB
A good RT
A stud QB
some depth here and there

If we can get that, I believe in the KC type turnaround. We have major talent on the team (a star WR, LT, HB is a good start. Our C, FB, TEs and second WR ain`t half bad either. On defense we have the best player in the NFL, a great ILB, and despite popular believe a pretty good secondary). Even last seasons team should`ve been in the playoffs if it weren`t for a major meltdown at QB and a clueless coaching staff - the talent was there.

Will we make the playoffs? A lot will be riding on the new QB. If we get a really good one, IŽd say yeah, we do.

Texecutioner
01-05-2014, 11:12 AM
at best.

turned over.

different schemes) --

I always laugh at the notion many of you have at the idea that a new coaching staff can't transform a team in one to two seasons. Its like you refuse to pay attention to the NFL, because it happens pretty much every other season. Hell, were you under a rock when the Texans changed to Wade Phillips on defense? They changed the entire scheme and went from the worst D in the league to being a top 5 unit over night. And even with that happening on the team you allegedly follow, you are completely against the idea that something like that could happen again. Its strange. The Colts went from the worst team in the league to becoming a playoff contender over night. The Chiefs just did this season.

No one is assuming that it will happen, but the Texans have a lot of pieces in place for it to take place.

Speedy
01-05-2014, 11:17 AM
This team lost 9 games by 7 points or less. They created the fewest turnovers in the history of the NFL. I don't understand why people think we're the Cleveland Browns all of a sudden. Better QB play, force some turnovers, eat into that -20 turnover ratio and get that on the plus side at the very least, keep some people healthy, and the Texans compete for the playoffs in 2014.

KC was a -24 in turnover ratio in 2012. They were an AFC best +18 this season. That makes a difference. You think Alex Smith is better than Schaub was in his prime? The answer would be 'hell no' in case you didn't know or were leaning towards yes.

The Texans have to improve at QB, first and foremost. That means they've got to knock it out of the park with this draft. The play at QB has to improve, that's where it starts.

I realize it's more of a luck issue when it comes to injuries, but we've got to hope the key players stay healthy. KC would not have made the playoffs without their Arian Foster (Charles) this season.

This is not a long term 2-3 year project. The turnaround can be just as quick this year to next as it was last year to this. Better coaching (in-game adjustments), better play at QB, some luck healthwise, and turnovers. That's how you get back, that's how you go from 2-14 to the tournament - next year. They were 10-12 plays away this year. Make those plays.

Norg
01-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Nope I don't even think we are even going to make the playoffs next year

and since Rick smith sucks at the draft sucks at picking F/a and sucks at cap management decesions we are not going anywhere

2014 we can only hope at best 8-8 then bob will fire Rick and well I guess 2015 will be the year I would hope cus in 2015 the SB is in Houston

Texecutioner
01-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Nope I don't even think we are even going to make the playoffs next year

and since Rick smith sucks at the draft sucks at picking F/a and sucks at cap management decesions we are not going anywhere

2014 we can only hope at best 8-8 then bob will fire Rick and well I guess 2015 will be the year I would hope cus in 2015 the SB is in Houston

Guarantee you Rick Smith won't be fired next season.

speedfreek
01-05-2014, 11:31 AM
We hired a "slightly" above average PSU coach with no NFL head coaching
experience who fired the entire staff without any serious evaluation
at all. (unless he can warp time and evaluate everyone in less than
a week)

KC hired a superbowl coach with multiple NFC championship appearances.
(who already had relationships with NFL calibre assistants)

There are reports that some of our assistants may come from the
college ranks.

No transformation of the type you assume will happen are forthcoming.

By the way, KC was loaded with talent everywhere. Their remaining
weak spot was at QB (smith). We assume that by drafting a QB
we turn everything around?

If so, we are doing it exactly the opposite of how KC did it..

I always laugh at the notion many of you have at the idea that a new coaching staff can't transform a team in one to two seasons. Its like you refuse to pay attention to the NFL

kingtexan
01-05-2014, 11:39 AM
The biggest issues we had this year, coaching and QB are gone. I think we can turn it around the same way KC did. Bring in a veteran QB and draft a good prospect to learn behind him. Use the other picks and free agency to fill the right holes and we can absolutely turn this into a playoff team. I am on board with O'Brien, he seems like the real deal. Still not sold on Rick, so I am nervous about the draft, but will wait and see.

IDEXAN
01-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Let me respond to your thread this way. This O'brien guy seems to be the direct type, you know, no suger coating or any of that. So maybe he needs to sit his boss Bob Mcnair down right now and explain to him that this team has lots of issues in terms of various positions that need to be staffed with competent
NFL players. And we don't know the half of it right now, because we will see a ton more guys leaving during free agency which will mean even more holes to fill througout the depth chart. But it's time for that talk between Bill & Bob.

Sigma
01-05-2014, 11:56 AM
19-0. :gamer: :koolaid:

let's not exagerate

19-1 :)

Hervoyel
01-05-2014, 12:10 PM
at best.

turned over.

different schemes) --

I don't just believe it's possible. I expect it. Maybe with the kind of mentality that Gary brought for 8 years a 6-10 "recovery season" might be needed before we move up to an 8-8 pr 9-7 year but I don't think that kind of timetable is in play now.

Teams can turn around their fortunes in short order these days. the Texans should be no different. Now having said that lots of things can conspire to prevent success so an injury bug attack could derail that but the Texans are going to make their moves and they're going to take their best shot. I like their chances. I wish Indianapolis had lost yesterday because that team is building confidence which will stand in our way. It's definitely going to be an obstacle.

Keep in mind though that since they went 2-14 they've posted a pair of 11-5 seasons with a roster that many characterized as very underwhelming.... until it wasn't. They had huge turnover along the way and an MIA head coach who was fighting Leukemia.

Last year Kansas City was 2-14 and this year, 11-5. Saints were 3-13 in Haslett's last year. Bring in Sean Payton and Brees and you got success.

Teams turn themselves around in a season or two all the friggin time. Why not us? I'd say its because of Gary stumbling along learning to be a HC and never quite grasping some of the tougher parts of the job like firing friends who aren't getting the job done. Gary did great things for the Houston Texans. He also did a lot of damage to the Houston Texans. It's hard to reconcile both of those things but there it is.

ATXtexanfan
01-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Yeah it can be done. Just gotta hit in the draft and maximize the current talent on roster

houstonspartan
01-05-2014, 12:12 PM
I always laugh at the notion many of you have at the idea that a new coaching staff can't transform a team in one to two seasons. Its like you refuse to pay attention to the NFL, because it happens pretty much every other season. Hell, were you under a rock when the Texans changed to Wade Phillips on defense? They changed the entire scheme and went from the worst D in the league to being a top 5 unit over night. And even with that happening on the team you allegedly follow, you are completely against the idea that something like that could happen again. Its strange. The Colts went from the worst team in the league to becoming a playoff contender over night. The Chiefs just did this season.

No one is assuming that it will happen, but the Texans have a lot of pieces in place for it to take place.

Agree with a lot of this. I've often said that it almost seems like Texans fans live in a bubble and don't follow the NFL. There's this this team called Philly that made it and they have a first year coach.

The playoffs next year will be an uphill climb, but it's do-able. We could squeak in as a wild card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Hervoyel
01-05-2014, 12:16 PM
a week)

college ranks.

All of KC's talent meant nothing until they produced. We've got players on this team who have produced and then stopped producing. Until I see them continue ti fail to produce in a different system I'm not going to assume that we have no talent.

Most NFL assistants spent time in the college ranks. I'm not worried about where our assistants come from, just what they do. If he brings Crennel in as DC that's a quality hire. If he brings a guy from Penn State in who he taught the Patriots offensive system and saw that guy get it then I have no problem with that hire.

In other words I'm not going to start complaining about his assistants until they give me something to complain about.

houstonspartan
01-05-2014, 12:29 PM
All of KC's talent meant nothing until they produced. We've got players on this team who have produced and then stopped producing. Until I see them continue ti fail to produce in a different system I'm not going to assume that we have no talent.

Most NFL assistants spent time in the college ranks. I'm not worried about where our assistants come from, just what they do. If he brings Crennel in as DC that's a quality hire. If he brings a guy from Penn State in who he taught the Patriots offensive system and saw that guy get it then I have no problem with that hire.

In other words I'm not going to start complaining about his assistants until they give me something to complain about.

Agree. Also, O'Brien strikes me as someone who would not hesitate to fire an assistant mid-season if things got rough. With Kubiak, we were stuck with bad assistants for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

michaelm
01-05-2014, 12:29 PM

a week)

college ranks.

In contrast to your example of a Super Bowl coach taking over a team and leading it to a winning record, that same coach left Philly with a losing record, and that team was turned around by a college coach with no NFL head coaching experience and made the playoffs.

Norg
01-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Guarantee you Rick Smith won't be fired next season.

after capers was fired we kept Casserly for 6 more months till after the draft then fired him in like june

I think rick is deff on the hot seat esp if he does not Kill this draft and these players contracts etc

I cant see how u can have so much confidence that he will be here in 2015 ..????

Thorn
01-05-2014, 12:49 PM
I think we'll do better than 2-14. But after so many **** overs by the Oilers and Texans, I ain't getting my hopes up. But I'll be there on Sunday cheering them on anyway, it's what I do.

Carr Bombed
01-05-2014, 12:53 PM
I think we'll do better than 2-14. But after so many **** overs by the Oilers and Texans, I ain't getting my hopes up. But I'll be there on Sunday cheering them on anyway, it's what I do.

As long as there's alcohol right? :)

welsh texan
01-05-2014, 01:41 PM
I think we have a better chance of a superbowl in the next 5 years if we fix the QB situation with a top prospect now.

I look at the chiefs and the bengals, the bengals tool Dalton a bit later on and whilst they make the playoffs every year, he holds them back from progressing, the chiefs took smith and I think he likely has the same limiting factor in today's NFL.

Of course there's the time it'll take for a young guy to fit in (if at all), but get a vet for the time being in case he isn't ready and play the slow game.

I think the players this team has lost the last 3 years were underrated, and whilst you can't afford to pay them all, you also can afford not to replace them.

EVOLVIST
01-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Who are these veteran QBs you speak of who a young guy can learn behind while still doing the job well?

Michael Vick
Chad Henne
Josh Freeman
Shaun Hill
Charlie Whitehurst
David Garrard
Rex Grossman
Jon Kitna
Dan Orlovsky
Kellen Clemens
Josh McCown
Seneca Wallace
Luke McCown
Derek Anderson
Tarvaris Jackson
Jimmy Clausen
Matt Flynn
Trent Edwards
Brady Quinn
Jordan Palmer
Colt McCoy
Curtis Painter
Rusty Smith
Joe Webb
Case Keenum
TJ Yates
Vince Young
Jamarcus Russell
Matt Cassel

:toropalm:

Tailgate
01-05-2014, 02:40 PM
KC may find next year to be a tough roe.

Corrosion
01-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Do people still believe we will have a KC type turnaround next year?

Depends upon who their QB is ....

burro
01-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Who are these veteran QBs you speak of who a young guy can learn behind while still doing the job well?

Michael Vick
Chad Henne
Josh Freeman
Shaun Hill
Charlie Whitehurst
David Garrard
Rex Grossman
Jon Kitna
Dan Orlovsky
Kellen Clemens
Josh McCown
Seneca Wallace
Luke McCown
Derek Anderson
Tarvaris Jackson
Jimmy Clausen
Matt Flynn
Trent Edwards
Brady Quinn
Jordan Palmer
Colt McCoy
Curtis Painter
Rusty Smith
Joe Webb
Case Keenum
TJ Yates
Vince Young
Jamarcus Russell
Matt Cassel

This sums it up. If we aren't drafting a QB no.1 overall then we are sticking with Keenum.

CretorFrigg
01-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Too many holes on this team because Rick Smith sucks. I have no faith in him getting the personnel to field a winning team next season. I don't know what McNair is smoking when he said we had the most talented team this season.

welsh texan
01-05-2014, 02:59 PM

Michael Vick
Chad Henne
Josh Freeman
Shaun Hill
Charlie Whitehurst
David Garrard
Rex Grossman
Jon Kitna
Dan Orlovsky
Kellen Clemens
Josh McCown
Seneca Wallace
Luke McCown
Derek Anderson
Tarvaris Jackson
Jimmy Clausen
Matt Flynn
Trent Edwards
Brady Quinn
Jordan Palmer
Colt McCoy
Curtis Painter
Rusty Smith
Joe Webb
Case Keenum
TJ Yates
Vince Young
Jamarcus Russell
Matt Cassel

I'm not expecting a pro bowler, and in fact if we do work enough cap to go out and be a player in FA, I'd prefer to see it spent on stop-gap starters on D so that that unit can grow and develop some young draft picks in time for the JJ watt contract.

I think a guy like chad henne, Kyle Orton, David garrard or Matt cassell are the type of guys to go for, cheap as hell, and rather than expecting some kind of huge veteran leadership, more a guy we can throw out there to ensure that if our rookie QB of the future truly is not ready to be on the field, the coaches have the time to coach him up rather than allowing him to become shellshocked "damaged goods" by being on the field when not ready, it's hard to recover from that situation as a young QB.

If our top level draftee isn't ready, we can pretty much assume it will be reflected in our record whatever happens. Just stick a warm body out there rather than ruining the guy from the off.

The four guys I mention all have plenty of starting experience in the NFL, they aren't going to win you a championship but they should be capable of keeping things respectable.

IlliniJen
01-05-2014, 02:59 PM
I think we're two solid drafts away from being a double-digit winning team. There is not as much talent on this team as people think, and our depth is truly lacking...look who we had starting in the DB corps at the end of the year and tell me we have good depth.

I don't think we're only a 6 win team next year, but 9-7 is possible given the weak sauce schedule we face. As a unit, I'm most concerned about the defense. Obviously, we can't put all the defensive struggles on losing Cushing...that's what talent and depth help you cope with, and we don't have a ton on that side of the ball.

deucetx
01-05-2014, 03:07 PM
I have no expectations because it's just a bit too early for any to really be built. Do I think they can do it? Yes, I don't see why not. As I type this I am watching the Chargers with a new coach who never was a head coach in the NFL playing a strong game on the road. Oh and he fired the staff. Most new head coaches do exactly that. It's nothing new nor surprising. If you need leftovers to help you evaluate the talent on the team then you have the wrong job. O'Brien shouldn't need a single coach from last year to help him in that aspect. Basically all head coaches choose their own guys.

Not to mention Chip Kelly got the Eagles in as well and of course the team mentioned, the Chiefs. In this league it is possible because this is not the league we (well some of us) grew up with where you're looking at 3 years minimum to get back on your feet. There are is always someone new in the playoffs and someone/s that have turned their season over in one year. It's been done time and time again for the last handful of years. So wouldn't be overly surprising if it happened here when you have a handful of all-pros already on roster.

JCTexan
01-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Yes, I believe this team can have a KC like turnaround. This team has the same talent level that won them 12 games last year. If we get a franchise caliber QB in the draft we could easily be back in the playoffs next year.

TheMatrix31
01-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Yes. Most losses this year were due to coaching and an injured roster.

I can easily see us back in the playoffs next year.

Goatcheese
01-05-2014, 03:33 PM
It's difficult to say how next year will turn out. A lot of players had down years or were injured. Can they bounce back to form or are they pretty much done?

Without injuries, this team was a lot better than a 2-14 team. So if they're healthy next year, even without adding anyone, I think they're at least 6-10. Bring in a new QB who can run the show and a RT to protect him and the offense should be top 10 again. Defense is all down to how well guys who were injured or underperformed bounce back. If everyone gets back to form, the defense should be top 10 too.

On the flip side, everything could go the other way with more regression and injuries and we end up worse than 2013.

TheMatrix31
01-05-2014, 03:37 PM
I don't think 2014 can be worse than this year.

Besides, we're in a division with Jacksonville and Tennessee. Honestly, there is no excuse for losing any of those four games so losing them this year was just mindblowing. Of course, as we saw this year, anything and everything can happen in football. I'm not even that impressed with the Colts overall outside of Luck. They're beatable too. We were beating their asses on Sunday night before the ridiculousness set in.

Naija Texan
01-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Depends on what we do in the draft and how we fill potential holes that this team will develop.

If Antonio Smith is gone like many believe, we need to find his replacement, whether we go 4-3 or not. Crick, McClain and Jaimson are not likely to be the guys playing 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT based on what I've seen of them this season and last, although McClain has potential. Jonathan Jospeh if gone, leaves only one good CB on the roster. Wade Smith is gone but who do we really replaceme him with, Ben Jones (who wasn't exactly great at LG this season when he came in on some plays) or Quessenberry who is basically a rookie.

KC managed to keep a lot of its talent defensively around, depending on how the defense changes under its new DC they may not be the strength everyone is thinking they could be.

Runner
01-05-2014, 04:43 PM
I have thought Kubiak's coaching held this team back most years. The Texans also had some close losses last year that small improvements may have turned into wins. Therefore, I think O'brien has a great opportunity to effect a big turnaround.

I don't know much about him as a coach, but I expect him to rise to the challenge. Mark me down as expecting a large increase in wins.

Lucky
01-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Free agency hasn't begun. The draft is months away. But we know what the 2014 record will be.

OK.

Runner
01-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Free agency hasn't begun. The draft is months away. But we know what the 2014 record will be.

OK.

I'm taking a macro view of the situation

Dutchrudder
01-05-2014, 04:56 PM
I'll reserve my predictions and judgement until we are through with the draft and free agency. This team and organization might not be in a "win-now" mode. Maybe Rick and BOB can convince McNair that they need a mediocre/down season to cleanse the roster before making those big strides. It will all come down to how they approach the current roster (trades/cuts/letting players walk) and what they do to address those needs.

We have a long offseason ahead of us, no need to jump to conclusions in January.

The Pencil Neck
01-05-2014, 05:29 PM
As I said prior to the coaching hire, I expect us to go at best 6-10 next year. I think it's entirely possible for us to do even worse than 2-14 although I'd be surprised.

But.

For me and the way I look at life and living, I'm going to throw my objective pessimism to the side now that we have a head coach. I'm a Sunshiner by nature. I'll try to look at every move we make this off-season and I'll try to put a positive spin on it. I'll go into next year hoping that all those moves we've made were the right ones and that we're going to have a KC like turn-around.

But I've been a Houston football fan since the late 60's. Deep in my heart of hearts, I'm seeing a lot of negatives:

1. Why not clean house entirely and hire another GM?
2. Why hire a coach from the Belichick tree of failure?
3. What has O'Brien done as a coach... tell Tom Brady what to do and keep a college team from totally imploding?
4. We have no QB and the odds of us drafting a superstar franchise QB are pretty slim.
5. How much revamping does our O-Line need?
6. How much revamping does our front 7 on defense need?
7. Can we do 5 and 6 in one offseason?
8. How much longer can Arian and Andre perform at an all-pro level and are they already done?
9. Do we need to totally re-tool our secondary?
10. After so many years of drafting TEs, do we need to draft some more TEs?
11. If we get Crennel, should we be worried about his scheme and should we be worried that he's only had a top 10 defense when he was at New England?

Do I believe we can have a KC type of turnaround? Screw that. I want a better turn around than that. I don't want to show up to the playoffs and then lose. I want to at least get to the AFC Championship.

I like Bill O'Brien's demeanor and I think what he did at Penn State was pretty impressive. I think that he at least had a hand in engineering some cool innovations (Gronk/Hernandez, uptempo, quick-strike, etc.) when he was with New England (even if he DID have Brady to pull the trigger and make it work.)

I think we do have enough talent that some good coaches should be able to patch SOMETHING together that at least gets us to the playoffs. And I'm going to hope that these are some good coaches.

aussie_texan
01-05-2014, 05:39 PM
considering how bad the AFC south is and the AFC in general isn't that good. plus the possibility of a pretty weak schedule i don't see any issues with us at least going 8-8, ideally at best we are looking at a 9-7 10-6 record. but like another poster said i will wait for FA and the draft to make a concrete prediction

datchapin
01-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Yes, people still believe. I believe and I'm not the only one and I'll keep believing until I'm proven wrong.

You say he fired the entire coaching staff without enough evaluation. Are you kidding me?

Allow me to break it down. Our OC and DC were about yards between the 20s. We were horrible in the red zone on both sides and this past year just made it more glaring. Our turnover differential was one of the worse if not the worst in the league. None of the coaches got the most out of their players.

Kubiak and Dennison are supposed to be great offensive minds, but the best they could come up with was Schaub and every time they had a chance to bring in real competition they didn't because they were loyal to a fault. So the drop off from him to his back-ups should not have been surprising. Any coaching staff that kept trotting out Newton as a lineman after his performance deserves to be fired.

I saw someone vouch for Vance Joseph and I don't hate to say it, but our secondary blew. No matter how much pressure we put on the opposing QB they were always able to find the open receiver in key situations. There was no discipline. Our penalties on both sides, but especially on defense, cost us games.

The only gain from further evaluation of our previous coaching staff would've netted was seeing just how bad they were.

We need 2 QBs a FA QB for depth and a stud from the draft. We need a NT and back up. Those are the only real critical additions we need. Please keep in mind not every position needs to be a stud.

According to the rumors floating around we are targeting Romeo Crennel for our DC position. This would keep our scheme on D and would only be a change in philosophy. We had the number 1 defense in the league last year yard wise. I doubt a change of philosophy would hurt us.

Bo'B is an offensive mind so I trust him to do what's needed on offense. Why do I trust him? Because he's already shown to be decisive in releasing the people responsible for our past failures. He's pointed the Texans to a competent DC. I don't give a flying f_ck if it's through the good ole boy network it's a credible professional who I would have wanted targeted regardless of if they knew each other or not. Because when he says he'll hold people accountable... I believe him, and that belief is not unfounded.

Obviously it's not important if I believe, but it is important that the players believe and from what I've gathered of his history his players have believed him. Our guys want to believe they want to win I can't speak for all, really any, of the players, but that's the vibe I get.

So there you go. I'm a believer. I believe, expect, and foretell with conviction that we will have a turnaround. Will we make the play-offs? Dunno. Will we have double digit wins? Dunno. Can we expect both? You bet your ass we can!

Seegara
01-05-2014, 07:15 PM
I don't think bob will be an outstanding coach but may be an adequate one. I hope he doesn't follow a pattern; McNair picked 2 bad coaches before him. There are bad memories of the Oilers, whose owner never could select a decent coach but insisted on making that decision himself.

Texan_Bill
01-05-2014, 08:38 PM
I don't think bob will be an outstanding coach but may be an adequate one. I hope he doesn't follow a pattern; McNair picked 2 bad coaches before him. There are bad memories of the Oilers, whose owner never could select a decent coach but insisted on making that decision himself.

Bob who? :thinking:

gtexan02
01-05-2014, 08:44 PM
I think we win the division

Texecutioner
01-05-2014, 08:58 PM
a week)

He does have HC experience. He has an impressive two years in college in a very difficult situation and several years experience as an OC in the NFL where he coached a guy who won two MVP awards at QB. He has been a part of several playoff runs and experienced plenty in the NFL. And what on earth are you upset at him for because of the previous coaches being fired? That's what happens when a new regime comes in. They bring in their own guys. Its standard procedure.

Where are you getting this idea that O'Brien doesn't have relationships with NFL calibre assistants? Why? He coached on the NE Patriots for several years and has ties all over the NFL. That is fact. He only went down to coach college for two years because he got a very unique opportunity that he couldn't pass up.

college ranks.

Which could be a good thing or a bad thing. Does it always work out when they come from the NFL the season prior to coming to a new team? No, it doesn't. This is not a concern at all.

I am not assuming anything. It is "you" that continues to assume that this team can't make a quick turn around or have success at all for that matter with this HC and his assistants. I'm optimistic with what we still have and what can be done potentially if a few good things go our way. But I have not made any claims about the Texans being title contenders just yet.

Please. No one was piping off about KC going into the season. KC was not some team that people were red hot for going into the season because of Reid. A lot of people had gotten down on Reid because of his last two seasons in Philly. I figured Reid and the Chiefs would probably have some success eventually, but not this season right away. They did though, and it happens literally every season with some team busting loose and surprising people or new HC's turning a struggling franchise around.

The Eagles brought in a college coach this season and made the playoffs right away and almost won just like the Chiefs in the Wild Card game. Kelley just did exactly what you are saying is so difficult for O'brien to do.

The Colts last season got a new regime and then right before the season had an illness that caused a different HC to take over with a rookie QB and that team was turned around in one off season, and guess what? They're in the playoffs again this year going in to the 2nd round.

There are a ton of examples that dispel this theory that a new HC with a new philosophy can't turn a team around very quickly.

imatexan
01-05-2014, 09:13 PM
I fully expect us to have a winning record next year but that is just being hopeful with the pieces we have new coach/1st round draft picks.

Too early to tell but I would still say the future is bright.

Lurvinator11
01-05-2014, 11:51 PM
No we won't have a KC type turn around next year. You know why?

Because we won't lose in the WC round! We will win the super bowl next year baby!!!!!!:kitten:

thunderkyss
01-06-2014, 12:08 AM
I feel better about the leaders on our team than I did about the KC Chiefs.

My only concern... the only reason I think we may not win, is if Arian's back is a bigger problem than I think it should be. He was looking good just before he wasn't. & that was running behind Newton/Harris. We can win a lot of games with a healthy Arian Foster.

For whatever reason, guys who shouldn't make plays all the time for the other team & that's why they win. We've got a lot of players who should, but don't make plays that would help us win games.

MEGA SWATT
01-06-2014, 03:06 AM
We were supposed to beast this year, but we sucked bad

We are supposed to suck next year, but we will beast. :specnatz:

EllisUnit
01-06-2014, 04:16 AM
Making my BOLD prediction for next season

Texans go 14-2 Lock the #1 seed in the AFC.

Txn_in_Oki
01-06-2014, 05:34 AM
By turn around do you mean have an awesome regular season only to follow it up with an epic crash and burn in the play-offs?

If that's what you mean, then it's quite possible. It is a Houston pro sports team after all.

Sorry, but my Kool-Aid iv ran dry quite some time ago.

leebigeztx
01-06-2014, 06:45 AM
The division is weak,the divisions they play are mediocre at best. They're not far from the playoffs to me. Harbaugh brought college guys with him as did pete carroll. The league is setup for 7-9,8-8,9-7. There isn't a lot of gap from a 7-9 and a 10 win team. The eagles won what 4 games last year and won 10 this year. Its not that hard especially with some tinkering and even with a rookie qb possibly.

Exascor
01-06-2014, 07:32 AM
I've been thinking about this quite a bit. Of course it's way too early to make any kind of predictions (which aren't right anyways). The schedule is primed for a return to competing for a playoff spot though. Honestly - I really don't care about 2014. I care about the next 10+ years. I don't want a "KC" type turnaround. I want an Indy/New England type turnaround. I want to be in the playoffs every year with a few Superbowls sprinkled on top. If it takes a year or 2 to get the players needed to start that run, I'm cool with that.

Marshall
01-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Nope

Too many holes, even with a last place schedule.

If we have a below average IR season and strengthen our weaknesses, SURE!

steelbtexan
01-06-2014, 08:19 AM
If we have a below average IR season and strengthen our weaknesses, SURE!

Agreed,

Except when do the Texans ever get lucky with the injury bug.

Hopefully BO'B will clean out the training staff too and be more patient with players coming back from injury. Newton/B.Williams/Posey etc..... Let them get fully healthy then let them play.

That's what the Seahawks have done with Okung/Harvin/Packers- Rodgers/49ers- Crabtree.

Tailgate
01-06-2014, 08:50 AM
We dont even know who our staff is yet, let alone draft pics, cuts, signees, etc...

speedfreek
01-06-2014, 08:51 AM
That is exactly my sentiment. To many questions, and our
approach to it is totally out of phase with teams like KC

Plus, I'm not sure the shock of a "hothead" for a coach
is going to work with this team after last year..

Might be the schiano thing all over again.. Or even worse,
the guy that just got canned from Detroit..

1. Why not clean house entirely and hire another GM?
2. Why hire a coach from the Belichick tree of failure?
3. What has O'Brien done as a coach... tell Tom Brady what to do and keep a college team from totally imploding?
4. We have no QB and the odds of us drafting a superstar franchise QB are pretty slim.
5. How much revamping does our O-Line need?
6. How much revamping does our front 7 on defense need?
7. Can we do 5 and 6 in one offseason?
8. How much longer can Arian and Andre perform at an all-pro level and are they already done?
9. Do we need to totally re-tool our secondary?
10. After so many years of drafting TEs, do we need to draft some more TEs?
11. If we get Crennel, should we be worried about his scheme and should we be worried that he's only had a top 10 defense when he was at New England?

speedfreek
01-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Here is where I disagree with your entire premise (and all of the other
assumptions you make after it..)

#1) 7-5 and 8-4 and only 2 years at PSU is _not_ impressive to me.

Impressive college coaches are guys like Mahlzann who have
their team in the national championship twice in a handfull of years.

Or guys like Briles who took a perennial cellar dwellar like Baylor
to the Big 12 championship in a half dozen years.

Or Sumlin, who took the UH program to it's first bowl win
in 20 years, finished the season ranked inside the top 15 in forever,
and was 14 points from a BCS bowl.

Then he went to A&M and did essentially the same thing but
against the toughest competition in the SEC.

Both Briles and Sumlin defeated the #1 team in the country at
the time and then had their QB's win the heisman (which happend
in back to back years)

THOSE accomplishments (much like Chip Kelly's) are impressive to me..

#2) Obrien gets zero credit IMO for coaching Brady. As I've said before,
Brady would make anyone look competent. I am eager to see
what happens to all of the "Bellichik" genius once Brady retires..

We needed to make a hire unlike Dom and Gary, and my gut tells
me that we just paid for more of the same -- hopefully not for the
next 6 years.

I just can't get happy about this when we didn't even give a guy
like Wisenhunt an interview. Smith or Wisenhunt would have made
a ton more sense to me than the guy we ended up with.

At least I would feel more comfortable about a possible KC
turnaround next year. (the KC hire was a smart one, unlike ours..)

Right now, that looks like a total pipe dream..

He does have HC experience. He has an impressive two years in college in a very difficult situation and several years experience as an OC in the NFL where he coached a guy who won two MVP awards at QB.

Blake
01-06-2014, 09:19 AM
I don't just believe it's possible. I expect it. Maybe with the kind of mentality that Gary brought for 8 years a 6-10 "recovery season" might be needed before we move up to an 8-8 pr 9-7 year but I don't think that kind of timetable is in play now.

Teams can turn around their fortunes in short order these days. the Texans should be no different. Now having said that lots of things can conspire to prevent success so an injury bug attack could derail that but the Texans are going to make their moves and they're going to take their best shot. I like their chances. I wish Indianapolis had lost yesterday because that team is building confidence which will stand in our way. It's definitely going to be an obstacle.

Keep in mind though that since they went 2-14 they've posted a pair of 11-5 seasons with a roster that many characterized as very underwhelming.... until it wasn't. They had huge turnover along the way and an MIA head coach who was fighting Leukemia.

Last year Kansas City was 2-14 and this year, 11-5. Saints were 3-13 in Haslett's last year. Bring in Sean Payton and Brees and you got success.

Teams turn themselves around in a season or two all the friggin time. Why not us? I'd say its because of Gary stumbling along learning to be a HC and never quite grasping some of the tougher parts of the job like firing friends who aren't getting the job done. Gary did great things for the Houston Texans. He also did a lot of damage to the Houston Texans. It's hard to reconcile both of those things but there it is.

+1. The Texans are not void of talent contrary to popular belief. Due to Schaub wetting the bed, we are now lacking at the most important position on our football team which also made us look like trash.

On defense, we have a talented secondary with corners who have performed well in the past. A young up and coming safety, a stud middle linebacker, a stud DL in Watt, and a couple of nice pieces in Mays, Manning, Reed and Merc. Some Dline help and another pass rush OLB and we are back in business.

On offense we obviously need to fill the void at QB via draft or free agency. We have 4 good WR's coming back, IMO a stud center and left tackle, a really good RG, and who knows how Brennan Williams is going to perform. Daniels coming back (maybe) , Foster coming back, which leaves holes at FB, backup RB and TE.

O'Brien is going to want his QB and TE, and Crennel is going to want his pass rusher and NT.

I am not interested in the bare minimum. I want to see more pieces of flare.

Tailgate
01-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Here is where I disagree with your entire premise (and all of the other
assumptions you make after it..)

#1) 7-5 and 8-4 and only 2 years at PSU is _not_ impressive to me.

Impressive college coaches are guys like Mahlzann who have
their team in the national championship twice in a handfull of years.

Or guys like Briles who took a perennial cellar dwellar like Baylor
to the Big 12 championship in a half dozen years.

Or Sumlin, who took the UH program to it's first bowl win
in 20 years, finished the season ranked inside the top 15 in forever,
and was 14 points from a BCS bowl.

Then he went to A&M and did essentially the same thing but
against the toughest competition in the SEC.

Both Briles and Sumlin defeated the #1 team in the country at
the time and then had their QB's win the heisman (which happend
in back to back years)

THOSE accomplishments (much like Chip Kelly's) are impressive to me..

#2) Obrien gets zero credit IMO for coaching Brady. As I've said before,
Brady would make anyone look competent. I am eager to see
what happens to all of the "Bellichik" genius once Brady retires..

We needed to make a hire unlike Dom and Gary, and my gut tells
me that we just paid for more of the same -- hopefully not for the
next 6 years.

I just can't get happy about this when we didn't even give a guy
like Wisenhunt an interview. Smith or Wisenhunt would have made
a ton more sense to me than the guy we ended up with.

At least I would feel more comfortable about a possible KC
turnaround next year. (the KC hire was a smart one, unlike ours..)

Right now, that looks like a total pipe dream..

FYI, just for clarity sake... Sumlin won w Briles recruit Keenum, and Sumlin had a losing record at UH when Keenum went down. Not to mention Sumlin walked again into another coaches QB recruit in Manziel along w a stud Oline and WR.

More importantly, which of those college coaches you mentioned walked into a sanctioned mess like O'Brien did?

Hervoyel
01-06-2014, 09:57 AM
I feel better about the leaders on our team than I did about the KC Chiefs.

My only concern... the only reason I think we may not win, is if Arian's back is a bigger problem than I think it should be. He was looking good just before he wasn't. & that was running behind Newton/Harris. We can win a lot of games with a healthy Arian Foster.

For whatever reason, guys who shouldn't make plays all the time for the other team & that's why they win. We've got a lot of players who should, but don't make plays that would help us win games.

A great deal hangs on the condition of Arian Foster's back. I'm very worried about what the outcome of that is going to be. I've got a bad back and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I can't even imagine the kind of contact that an NFL running back goes through so I'm hoping that his back problem is nothing at all like mine.

Arian's also a pretty smart guy and he's not going to be interested in being crippled in his 40's. He's been paid and he's going to do what's best for Arian. I am not holding that against him and wouldn't expect him to do anything else. I just think we may never see the #23 we're all familiar with again.

HOU-TEX
01-06-2014, 10:36 AM
We dont even know who our staff is yet, let alone draft pics, cuts, signees, etc...

This sums it up for me too. We've got tons of moves to make before I can make heads or tails of this team.

Surreal McCoy
01-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Do people still believe we will have a KC type turnaround next year?

Two points:

1. If Rick Smith is still here then the answer is no

2. If we are somehow able to turn over more than 90% of the roster then it's possible we at least make the playoffs. Otherwise, 6-10 is best case scenario.

Double Barrel
01-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Too early to really predict much about the 2014, especially without a clue of who wil be QB.

But, my attitude is to hope for the best, but prepare for a rebuild. :texflag:

Be careful about unrealistic expectations. They tend to sour to nonobjective demands.

Marcus
01-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Be careful about unrealistic expectations. They tend to sour to nonobjective demands.

Ain't that the dang truth! Kudos! You should remind everyone of that come August in all of those W-L prediction threads.

That statement that McNair made when said he 'expects to win immediately' is probably the stupidest thing he's done yet. He's going to eat those words, but O'Brian will eat the flak.

And I agree with Herv about Foster. He's not going to be the player that he was, but he's gonna get paid like he is. Cushing is in the same boat.

We have no earthly idea who the QB is going to be. Some high-priced rookie, or some vet that's no more than a backup for any other team. There are issues with the trench, who some here think is going to be miraculously solved with lower round draft picks, and a running attack? ..... uh, what running attack? More draft picks?

I think some here get the meaning of the word "expectations" confused. When you say "it's not only possible, I expect it", what exactly do you mean? Does it mean you just want it to happen and then get frustrated or angry if it doesn't, or do you actually 'think' it will happen?

Hervoyel
01-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Ain't that the dang truth! Kudos! You should remind everyone of that come August in all of those W-L prediction threads.

That statement that McNair made when said he 'expects to win immediately' is probably the stupidest thing he's done yet. He's going to eat those words, but O'Brian will eat the flak.

And I agree with Herv about Foster. He's not going to be the player that he was, but he's gonna get paid like he is. Cushing is in the same boat.

We have no earthly idea who the QB is going to be. Some high-priced rookie, or some vet that's no more than a backup for any other team. There are issues with the trench, who some here think is going to be miraculously solved with lower round draft picks, and a running attack? ..... uh, what running attack? More draft picks?

I think some here get the meaning of the word "expectations" confused. When you say "it's not only possible, I expect it", what exactly do you mean? Does it mean you just want it to happen and then get frustrated or angry if it doesn't, or do you actually 'think' it will happen?

Well obviously we all "want it to happen" right? Who here doesn't want the Texans to bounce back into the win column, take a step forward and head for the playoffs?

Everybody wants that.

When I say I expect it I mean that this is exactly what I think is going to happen. I think it will happen because I don't think we're as bereft of talent as many of us believe. I think that most teams in the NFL are capable of putting up a season that's "around" .500 in any given season. It's just the way the NFL is designed.

When Kubiak took over Capers 2-14 abomination he had less to work with across the board, agreed in advance to march into 2006 with David Carr as his starting QB, had Richard Smith as his DC, Wali Lundy as his starting RB, and did I mention that he'd never been a HC anywhere before? He still won 4 more games than Capers did with exciting free agent acquisitions like Anthony Weaver, Sage Rosenfels, and Ron Dayne to add to the mix.

He had to face Peyton Manning TWICE that year! Hell he lost 4 games by less than a TD to boot. Those four games go the other way and we're looking at Gary delivering our first 10-6 season.

If Gary had the slightest idea what a defensive coordinator looked like back then the entire history of the team would be different. He'd probably still be working here warts and all.

I put out the "injuries mean nothing is guaranteed" point but yeah, I believe that Bill O'Brien's Texans can come right back and compete for the division. I expect them to do so. I really think they will.

This Texans team is light-years ahead of where that one was.

Double Barrel
01-06-2014, 01:27 PM

I'm all aboard the O'Brien train. But, I'm mentally preparing myself for a 2 year turnaround. Maybe 3.

I know folks want instant gratification, but I refuse to succumb to the prevailing mentality of our culture.

Just getting a new QB can cause a delayed success. Add in completely new systems on both sides of the ball under a brand new staff, along with some big holes to fill on both sides of the line, and my attitude is to be patient about it.

I'm not saying a quick turnaround is not possible, because just about anything is possible. But, my attitude is based on what's probable, and being a fan of NFL history, the trend clearly leans toward rebuild more than it does first-year-coach-in-playoffs, regardless of the hopeful rhetoric spewed by our dear owner.

Marcus
01-06-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm all aboard the O'Brien train. But, I'm mentally preparing myself for a 2 year turnaround. Maybe 3.

I know folks want instant gratification, but I refuse to succumb to the prevailing mentality of our culture.

Just getting a new QB can cause a delayed success. Add in completely new systems on both sides of the ball under a brand new staff, along with some big holes to fill on both sides of the line, and my attitude is to be patient about it.

I'm not saying a quick turnaround is not possible, because just about anything is possible. But, my attitude is based on what's probable, and being a fan of NFL history, the trend clearly leans toward rebuild more than it does first-year-coach-in-playoffs, regardless of the hopeful rhetoric spewed by our dear owner.

And I think that's not only a reasonable, but practical way to approach it. For our "dear owner" to not see it that way, not only blows my mind, he's setting up O'Brian for failure. What was it you said? "Be careful of unrealistic expectations ....." It just leads to unjustified and misdirected criticism.

He's gonna end up wishing he stayed at Penn State.

b0ng
01-06-2014, 03:01 PM
NFL teams are relatively close to each other in terms of talent and coaching. Any of the myriad of 4-12 teams this year could've had a few bounces of the ball go the wrong way and could easily be this years Texans, or last years Chiefs or whatever. Yes, all of these teams are bad, and you do see a lot of the same teams at the bottom year after year, but what seperates a 3-13 from a 4-12 or a 2-14 is minute it's almost luck as to who gets to draft first every year, even from dedicated tank jobs like the Colts "Suck for Luck" campaign.

And yes, those teams have experienced gigantic turnarounds in one season before, it happens almost every year, and you don't even have to nail your draft to do it (Eric Fisher has sucked pretty badly for being a #1 overall pick and all of the guys who are playing at a high level on their defense were picks of the previous regime). The Texans ability to turn back into a playoff team next year is there and they have enough talent on the roster to do so. What they lack on the roster can easily be made up by good coaching if O'Brien is in fact a good coach.

There are perfectly fine reasons for optimism next season unless you hate the O'Brien hire, and if you hate the hire this soon then it will be impossible to find ways that the franchise can turn around.

Marshall
01-06-2014, 03:07 PM
I think we're two solid drafts away from being a double-digit winning team. There is not as much talent on this team as people think, and our depth is truly lacking...look who we had starting in the DB corps at the end of the year and tell me we have good depth.

I don't think we're only a 6 win team next year, but 9-7 is possible given the weak sauce schedule we face. As a unit, I'm most concerned about the defense. Obviously, we can't put all the defensive struggles on losing Cushing...that's what talent and depth help you cope with, and we don't have a ton on that side of the ball.

Much of our depth was on IR this season. We're not as far away as some think.

Double Barrel
01-06-2014, 03:18 PM
And I think that's not only a reasonable, but practical way to approach it. For our "dear owner" to not see it that way, not only blows my mind, he's setting up O'Brian for failure. What was it you said? "Be careful of unrealistic expectations ....." It just leads to unjustified and misdirected criticism.

He's gonna end up wishing he stayed at Penn State.

yep, I agree. I think McNair's mouth might have written a check that he may not be able to cash.

I just hope Texans fans can be pragmatic if 2014 turns out to be less than miraculous. The Chiefs turnaround is an exception, not the rule. Most 2-14 teams with a first overall pick, no QB, brand new head coach and staff, do not go to the playoffs the next year.

oh yeah, just to clarify, "dear owner" is a term of endearment on my part, not derision in any way. I might not always agree with his way of doing business, but I do like the guy and believe he truly wants to win a championship.

Txn_in_Oki
01-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Sarcasm aside, I expect a decent turn around. I'm not expecting a trip to the Super Bowl, but I do expect some changes to be made. We have a good core of players and I just think what was more of an attitude adjustment than anything else. Sometimes you just have to give people a good shake to wake them up.

Thorn
01-06-2014, 08:49 PM
If we were going to do a complete rebuild, I'd expect nothing next year and be happy with whatever progress was made. But what we're being told is this isn't a rebuild. And frankly, I'm calling bull$hit on that. It may not be a complete rebuild, but it's a rebuild with a new coaching staff, new playbook, new QB, and some new players.

My feeling right now, knowing nothing of the future, is that if we can at least sniff the playoffs next year going 8-8 I'll be good with it. But hell, we've still got free agent season, the draft, and the completion of the coaching staff to be done.

We don't even have a clue yet as to who the OC is going to be.

Norg
01-06-2014, 08:50 PM
i was thinkin if we do win big next year we dang surr better win dat #1 or 2 seed cus I just got the feeling team is not built for the cold to go up to like

Foxboroh or Heniz field or mile high

and get a road win in da snow

TheMatrix31
01-07-2014, 04:29 PM
We don't even have a clue yet as to who the OC is going to be.

Which is okay, because it's January 7.

Thorn
01-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Which is okay, because it's January 7.

:thinking:

Does that mean I should not be concerned until Jan 8th? Or Feb 8th? Or, should I have been concerned yesterday, but not today, but it's OK to be concerned tomorrow? You haven't given me enough information to adjust my concerness level at any particular time.

TheMatrix31
01-07-2014, 05:09 PM
You can be concerned as much or as little as you want whenever you want. Just addressing your use of the word "even" in your comment.

I'd like to have an OC in place ASAP, but I won't **** my pants unless we don't have one by the time FA starts.