PDA

View Full Version : Finally: Romeo Crennel Hired as DC

Pages : [1] 2 3

PockyAF
01-04-2014, 09:35 AM
new DC

Well, Wade Phillips won’t get the chance to be the Texans defensive coordinator next year. And none of the guys he worked with are hanging around either.

According to Alex Marvez of FOX Sports, new Texans coach Bill O’Brien met with the existing Texans staff and fired them all, and will name Romeo Crennel as his defensive coordinator.

The 66-year-old Crennel was out of football this season after being fired by the Chiefs with two years left on his contract. That will allow the Texans to stay with the 3-4 defense they’re already running.

The clean house sets the stage for the Texans staff to have a very Bostonian vibe, as O’Brien will tap into his base of former Patriots co-workers for help.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/04/bill-obrien-clears-out-texans-staff-to-hire-romeo-crennel/

pissknocker
01-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Bye wade

Aaron
01-04-2014, 09:36 AM
I guess this means we are sticking with the 3-4

Aaron
01-04-2014, 09:39 AM
I like that B'OB added a guy with a ton of coaching experience! A little disappointed that we didn't keep a few of our current coaches around though...they weren't all bad.

drs23
01-04-2014, 09:44 AM
I like that B'OB added a guy with a ton of coaching experience! A little disappointed that we didn't keep a few of our current coaches around though...they weren't all bad.

New regime. COMPLETELY NEW REGIME. Sure didn't take BO'B long to make that decision did it?

Not surprised at all.

infantrycak
01-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Son of a martha farkin' friend of O'Brien hire. We're doomed to mediocrity with our cheap ass owner and his good ol' boy ways.

2slik4u
01-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Didn't they coach together at NE? Couldn't remember.

What's the report on Crennel? I know he's been coaching for a long time and has been a HC at one point or another.

Someone break it down for us...

DX-TEX
01-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Didn't they coach together at NE? Couldn't remember.

What's the report on Crennel? I know he's been coaching for a long time and has been a HC at one point or another.

Someone break it down for us...

Kubiak/Wade ish. Great DC, horrible HC. Players he coached love him.

RipTraxx
01-04-2014, 09:50 AM

McNair wanted someone that was gonna make tough decisions, something Kubes never did, this was one of them.

sometexansfan
01-04-2014, 09:52 AM
O'Brien was hired by the Patriots in 07, while Crennel was the head coach of the Browns in 07. So I don't believe they've ever coached together.

RipTraxx
01-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Interesting to see who the position coaches will be

infantrycak
01-04-2014, 09:59 AM
O'Brien was hired by the Patriots in 07, while Crennel was the head coach of the Browns in 07. So I don't believe they've ever coached together.

Correct. Crennel left the Patriots after '04. He was the DC for all three SB winning teams.

TheIronDuke
01-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Wait, didn't thunderkyss say this would never happen?

Great hire, peace out Wade!

bigbrewster2000
01-04-2014, 10:07 AM
I said this yesterday, I have been wanting Romeo or at least thinking of him as a grat option for us as DC since the beginning of the season. I am really happy with this hire. The man knows defense and IMO is in the top 5 DC's in the league

EllisUnit
01-04-2014, 10:09 AM

Yep, so there is NO way this BS can be true ;)

PockyAF
01-04-2014, 10:09 AM
The Two-Gap

However you term it, it truly is a unique defensive style that stands in stark contrast to almost the entirety of other NFL defensive schemes, and fewer have promoted it more successfully than Crennel.

His style is termed the “two-gap 3-4″ defense. At its base, that means you have three lineman with their hands in the dirt, typically two defensive ends that are big and strong enough to take on offensive tackles and tall enough to deter passes by the quarterback in the pocket (think of Tyson Jackson’s prototypical 6’4″, 296 lbs frame), and a humongous, bulky nose tackle that is built for getting low, absorbing punishment and administering immediate push against a hopelessly outsized center (think of Jerrell Powe’s prototypical 6’2″, 331 lbs frame). Then you have four linebackers: two passrushers on the edge (one who is a more one-dimensional pocket assaulter, and the other who is a swiss army knife of abilities), and two in the middle (one who is more of a line of scrimmage attacker, and the other who is more coverage-oriented). This earns Crennel’s defense the “3-4″ moniker, for those who didn’t already know.

But roughly half the teams in the NFL play with a 3-4 arrangement. It’s Crennel’s two-gap approach is what truly sets this defense apart from every other style in the NFL.

From the Bears’ cover 2, to the Eagle’s wide 9, to the Texans’ one-gap, to the Patriots’ hybrid, to countless other 4-3 and 3-4 teams, the name of the game is very simple for the defensive line: get upfield. The players might line-up at different points along the defensive line. They might be bigger (3-4 nose tackles), smaller (cover 2 passrushers), ends, tackles, or rushbackers. But they all want to disrupt the pocket and get upfield.

Not so with the two-gap.

Think of this as your typical offensive line:

RT RG C LG LT
(C) (B) (A) (A) (B) (C)

This is a comprehensive listing of the “gaps” in an offensive line. The “A” gap is between the center and guard, the “B” gap is between the guard and tackle. Most defenses in the NFL tell their defensive lineman to shoot a gap, which would either penetrate the pocket or at least disrupt the offensive line’s blocking assignments. Some defenses give a defensive tackle the job of occupying blockers, or “two-gapping,” meaning they focus less on getting upfield, and focus more with minding two gaps and clogging the lanes, offensive lineman be damned.

This two-gap strategy asks every single one of its defensive lineman to do exactly that. It turns the traditional role of the defensive lineman from pocket invader to space occupying, gap eater. There’s a reason young bucks like Tyson Jackson and Dontari Poe take a long time to adjust to it, the techniques involved in this are completely different than the simple “get up and go” of more attack-oriented defensive lines. (By my count, only four other teams in the NFL share this defensive style: Ravens, Jets, Dolphins, and now the Colts.)

The complexity of all of this aside, there is one thing needed to make this work. One thing needed to turn this defensive style, unique as it is, into an offense-wrecking machine:

The defensive linemen must occupy offensive linemen.

It’s that simple. It’s the first domino for the entire scheme to make sense. If these defensive linemen can force offensive lineman to double-team them, it frees up the linebackers behind them and to their flanks to make plays. If Glenn Dorsey and Jackson play their roles properly, Tamba Hali and Justin Houston are battling tight ends and fullbacks en route to the QB, rather than massive, athletic offensive tackles. If Poe can demand maximum attention in the interior of the line, it allows Derrick Johnson to flow to the ball freely. It therefore cuts down on the amount of time secondaries have to cover receivers. It allows the safeties to clamp down open spaces faster. The key to it all is that the defensive linemen must absorb multiple offensive linemen every play.
There lies a fundamental flaw here: teams are starting to simply refuse doubling our defensive linemen. If that happens, neither of our starting ends (Dorsey and Jackson) have proven able to disengage and punish offenses for their lack of respect. Toribio’s ability to demand double teams has weakened considerably in light of his injury, and Dontari Poe still has miles to go before he can harness that ability.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/08/29/the-fatal-flaw-in-romeo-crennels-defense/

Grams
01-04-2014, 10:10 AM
Think "wishy-washy" may be a term of the past?

Fantastic hire.

Malloy
01-04-2014, 10:11 AM
I like how this Whole thing is shaping up :)

Now we wait 8 months and see if it worked :)

TEXANRED
01-04-2014, 10:14 AM

You can't just use Watt to take up space. Crennel's gonna have to modify his thinking.

2slik4u
01-04-2014, 10:15 AM
According to Wikipedia they coached together for two years - 2007 & 2008.

Then Crennel left for the HC position at Cleveland.

He was the DC in NE and BO'B was the OC in NE at the same time. I'm all for O'Brien hiring his friends...as long as they came from NE. Seems to be a good franchise to copycat.

stingray
01-04-2014, 10:16 AM
So does this mean that clowney is off the texans board? Or could he replace antonio smith at DE in a 3-4? just dont see him as an olb. And i really dont want him anyways

Playoffs
01-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Not enough experience. :pissed:

1970-1974 Western Kentucky(Defensive Line Coach)

1975-1977 Texas Tech(Defensive Assistant)

1978-1979 Ole Miss(Defensive Ends Coach)

1980 Georgia Tech(Defensive Line Coach)

1981-1992 New York Giants
(1981-1989) (Special Teams Coach)
(1990-1992) (Defensive Line Coach)

1993-1996 New England Patriots(Defensive Line Coach)

1997-1999 New York Jets(Defensive Line Coach)

2000 Cleveland Browns(Defensive Coordinator)

2001-2004 New England Patriots(Defensive Coordinator)

2005-2008 Cleveland Browns(Head Coach)

2010-2012 Kansas City Chiefs
(2010-2012) (Defensive Coordinator)
(2011) (Interim Head Coach)
(2012) (Head Coach)

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Think "wishy-washy" may be a term of the past?

Fantastic hire.

" It's on me " only pertains to lunch now .

infantrycak
01-04-2014, 10:18 AM

He was the DC in NE and BO'B was the OC in NE at the same time. I'm all for O'Brien hiring his friends...as long as they came from NE. Seems to be a good franchise to copycat.

No, according to both wiki and pro-football-reference Crennel was HC in Cleveland 2005-8.

2slik4u
01-04-2014, 10:19 AM

Pretty sure Watt and Smith (assuming we keep him) will do just fine commanding double teams.

Great read.

DX-TEX
01-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Pretty sure Watt and Smith (assuming we keep him) will do just fine commanding double teams.

Great read.

So we are going to pay Watt as the highest paid defensive player in the league to be a double team magnet?

WolverineFan
01-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Not sure how I feel about the hire. I think Crennel is a tremendous DC, but the way he utilizes the D-Line neutralizes Watt to some degree. Instead of shooting gaps and causing havoc in the backfield (sacks, tackles for loss) he will be two-gaping and holding up blockers for the LB's.

Playoffs
01-04-2014, 10:22 AM
We're gonna draft a true NT, I'm guessing.

jaayteetx
Had beers once with Chick Harris, friend of a friend, sorry to see he isn't hanging around, sure he'll land on his feet somewhere though.

Grams
So we are going to pay Watt as the highest paid defensive player in the league to be a double team magnet?

He does that now - he is double teamed every play sometime triple teamed.

dalemurphy
01-04-2014, 10:23 AM
What I love about his Defensive Coordinating history is that his defenses create turnovers and are always very good in the red zone. Every year as a DC, his teams have ranked higher in points allowed than in yards allowed. Ahh, yes, I am looking forward to being near the top in statistics that actually matter!

It will be interesting to see how they use JJ Watt. I'm trying to think of any Crennel defense with a defensive lineman with Watt's talent... I'm fairly certain that he usually has three large DLs always assigned with 2-gap responsibilities... The rest of the defense is very flexible and morphs into all kinds of alignments and responsibilities (using LBs, Safeties, and/or CBs to play as "jokers"- given assigned freedoms to make plays). The defense is built to free up the jokers to make plays and disguise where where they will be.

I'm not sure how Watt can be an effective play maker in this defense. It will be interesting... I imagine Watt's agent is already in panic mode, realizing how damaging this transition could be for Watt's upcoming contract if he is used in the traditional manner by Romeo.

2slik4u
01-04-2014, 10:24 AM
No, according to both wiki and pro-football-reference Crennel was HC in Cleveland 2005-8.

Surprise - wiki has it wrong. Read the list of coaching jobs. It reads as 2005-2008 NE DC.

But when you read the script of coaching career it reads in your favor.

Discrepancy.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_Crennel

DBCooper
01-04-2014, 10:24 AM

Friends, lol

Bottom line is that RAC is a badass.

If my friend is a badass, I'm going to hire him.

(not directing toward you, just threading off your post)

phantom17
01-04-2014, 10:25 AM
I'll miss Wade, but I think Crennel is a FANTASTIC hire! He did have 3 Championship rings as DC for the NE Patriots. :texanbill:

CloakNNNdagger
01-04-2014, 10:28 AM

Great read.

I don't see Watt maintaining his sack numbers in this scheme, unless he is converted. Though, we finally get our "fat boy in the middle."!!!!

dalemurphy
01-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Not sure how I feel about the hire. I think Crennel is a tremendous DC, but the way he utilizes the D-Line neutralizes Watt to some degree. Instead of shooting gaps and causing havoc in the backfield (sacks, tackles for loss) he will be two-gaping and holding up blockers for the LB's.

Clearly, adjustments will need to be made. I'm interested in what that will look like. Antonio Smith will certainly walk away. I tell you what, though, Kareem Jackson and JJo are going to look a lot better and make a lot more plays next year! Instead of chasing the tails of Wrs every play in man coverage, they will be put in all sorts of positions to make plays.

2slik4u
01-04-2014, 10:30 AM

You're right. Let Watt walk.

DX-TEX
01-04-2014, 10:31 AM
You're right. Let Watt walk.

Trade him for Sanchez!

dalemurphy
01-04-2014, 10:33 AM
I don't see Watt maintaining his sack numbers in this scheme, unless he is converted. Though, we finally get our "fat boy in the middle."!!!!

Willie Mcginest is about the closest player I can come up with. Mcginest was 6'5" and around 275 lbs for most of his career and essentially played OLB in Romeo's defense. I wonder if Watt will be on a diet this off-season.

Playoffs
01-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Wow, forgot about what he saw that day...
On December 1, 2012, Crennel attempted to prevent the suicide of player Jovan Belcher by talking to him and witnessed his death by a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. The following day, Crennel coached his team to a 27-21 victory over the Carolina Panthers, the Chiefs' first home victory since defeating the Packers the previous season, and the only other home win during his tenure.

The Pencil Neck
01-04-2014, 10:34 AM

He already is a double-team magnet.

People are going to double Watt no matter what. Our LB crew is going to have to start making more plays and we're finally going to get that big man in the middle we've all been begging for. This is going to keep Cush cleaner and allow him to make more plays.

DBCooper
01-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Willie Mcginest is about the closest player I can come up with. Mcginest was 6'5" and around 275 lbs for most of his career and essentially played OLB in Romeo's defense. I wonder if Watt will be on a diet this off-season.

Watt as an OLB, interesting.

2slik4u
01-04-2014, 10:35 AM

He may not get his sack numbers but he really was never supposed to have those anyways.

In turn the OLB's will be getting them. That's the way it should work!

Not to mention watt has been double teamed damn near all season long and he still managed to rack up 10.5 sacks. I think he will still manage to be an impact player for us. Just a hunch.

WolverineFan
01-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Clearly, adjustments will need to be made. I'm interested in what that will look like. Antonio Smith will certainly walk away. I tell you what, though, Kareem Jackson and JJo are going to look a lot better and make a lot more plays next year! Instead of chasing the tails of Wrs every play in man coverage, they will be put in all sorts of positions to make plays.

This change means we pretty much have to bring back Joseph and Manning. No way we can go into next season with Swearinger/Keo. It also means we will probably draft a NT and sign one in FA. We will also address DE in draft or FA. We also need a stud OLB across from Mercilus and a rangy ILB inside with Cushing.

Yea, we stayed in the 3-4, but this hire pretty much changes everything on defense. Would have rather gone to an attacking 4-3 like Seattle.

DBCooper
01-04-2014, 10:38 AM
This change means we pretty much have to bring back Joseph and Manning. No way we can go into next season with Swearinger/Keo. It also means we will probably draft a NT and sign one in FA. We will also address DE in draft or FA. We also need a stud OLB across from Mercilus and a rangy ILB inside with Cushing.

Yea, we stayed in the 3-4, bu this hire pretty much changes everything on defense. Would have rather gone to an attacking 4-3 like Seattle.

I love this hire!

I have always liked what NE has done on defense.

Now we have to wait to see if it's all just Belichick.

cstyle42
01-04-2014, 10:43 AM
I love this hire!

I really think it's not. We are building a super bowl type coaching staff.

DBCooper
01-04-2014, 10:47 AM
I really think it's not. We are building a super bowl type coaching staff.

I feel that way too.

WolverineFan
01-04-2014, 10:48 AM
I love this hire!

NE doesn't run Crennel's 3-4 anymore. They have gone to a more hybrid 4-3 system. Baltimore and Cleveland run the most similar looking defense to what Crennel has run.

infantrycak
01-04-2014, 10:51 AM
It will be interesting to see how they use JJ Watt. I'm trying to think of any Crennel defense with a defensive lineman with Watt's talent... I'm fairly certain that he usually has three large DLs always assigned with 2-gap responsibilities...

Richard Seymour did pretty well with Crennel.

Check out the starting lineups at pro-football-reference and they have the Pats in a base 4-3 for three of Crennel's 4 years.

Surprise - wiki has it wrong. Read the list of coaching jobs. It reads as 2005-2008 NE DC.

Surprise, you didn't read the other reference which as stated lists Crennel as HC of the Browns 2005-8 - Link (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/)

I would look for him to be used more like Seymour than McGinest.

The New England Patriots employ a variety of strategies during play. Since the arrival of head coach Bill Belichick in 2000, the Patriots have utilized an "Erhardt-Perkins" offense and a "Fairbanks-Bullough" 3–4 defense, referred to commonly as a 2-gap 3–4 defensive system.

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots_strategy)

Jackie Chiles
01-04-2014, 10:51 AM

Richard Seymour was widely considered among the best if not the best defensive lineman in the league during the Pats defensive heyday under Crennel. I do believe he will have to make some schematic concessions for JJ though, way too talented to not fully utilize.

2slik4u
01-04-2014, 10:54 AM

Check out the starting lineups at pro-football-reference and they have the Pats in a base 4-3 for three of Crennel's 4 years.

Surprise, you didn't read the other reference which as stated lists Crennel as HC of the Browns 2005-8 - Link (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/)

Surprised you didn't read the rest of my post stating that exact fact.

CloakNNNdagger
01-04-2014, 10:54 AM
He may not get his sack numbers but he really was never supposed to have those anyways.

In turn the OLB's will be getting them. That's the way it should work!

Not to mention watt has been double teamed damn near all season long and he still managed to rack up 10.5 sacks. I think he will still manage to be an impact player for us. Just a hunch.

If you you read the article I posted about what O'brien expects out of his D, it's the DL first and foremost stopping the run........something we couldn't do for beans, especially when it counted. No, in this scheme, the DL will "clog" the middle.......more as fire plugs.........while the LBs go for the throat.

For those who didn't see my post on O'brien's D philosophy: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2278487&postcount=69

LikeMike
01-04-2014, 10:55 AM
That`s cold blooded by O`Brien. First saying he will talk to all coaches here - then spending 5 minutes to just fire them all...

That being said, I like Crennel. He is a way better DC than HC. But I am also a little worried about Watt. He is too good to just use to occupy blockers. And he can`t be turned into an OLB. I don`t know much about defensive schemes, but maybe let the NT (probably has to be a new one) and the other DE (probably not Smith, maybe Crick) be 2 gaps, and Watt be a 1 gap player?

Man, this upcoming season will be exciting. All new coaches - new offense, new defense, probably new QB - number 1 pick in every round. Probably some FAs with the cap savings we get from Schaub and Smith...

gtexan02
01-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Quit worrying about watt. He is the number one guy on this team and no coach would be hired not to utilize him correctly. B'OB specifically said he will adapt all schemes to his players strengths. Not the other way around. Watt will be the one man wrecking crew he is meant to be

gtexan02
01-04-2014, 11:03 AM
B'OB also said he plans to play 70% of snaps in nickel or dime. So who cares about where or Watt is doing in the 3-4 if it will barely be used. Listen to his Q@A before getting anxious about our best player

GuerillaBlack
01-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Quit worrying about watt. He is the number one guy on this team and no coach would be hired not to utilize him correctly. B'OB specifically said he will adapt all schemes to his players strengths. Not the other way around. Watt will be the one man wrecking crew he is meant to be

Exactly. Who cares what that (nice) description of Romeo's defense says, Watt will beast in it because he is a beast. Doesn't matter what system or scheme you put that guy in, he will get his no matter what.

2slik4u
01-04-2014, 11:05 AM
If you you read the article I posted about what O'brien expects out of his D, it's the DL first and foremost stopping the run........something we couldn't do for beans, especially when it counted. No, in this scheme, the DL will "clog" the middle.......more as fire plugs.........while the LBs go for the throat.

For those who didn't see my post on O'brien's D philosophy: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2278487&postcount=69

No I read it and understood it. I just find it hard to believe that if watt somehow manages to bust through a double team, which he did numerous times this season, that he will stop his pursuit of the QB just to stay put "clogging the hole".

I'm not sideways with you bro, I'm just saying that just because he is meant to be double teamed doesn't mean he won't post decent sack numbers as a 3-4 DE. He's proved to be able to do it time in and time out this season and last.

Double teaming watt seems to have been a gameplan for many OC's around the league and it still didn't work 100% of the time. Watt continues to beat them and penetrate even when there is two fat boys on him. He's just that good.

Until RC says that he doesn't want watt to pursue the QB IF he happens to beat a double team, I will still continue not much should change with him.

He is a one of a kind Manimal.

bhsman
01-04-2014, 11:07 AM
I still would prefer a "younger" guy like Horton and his style of defense, but it looks like he'll be getting a few HC interviews so good on him. Crennel would have been my second choice, so I'm pretty happy about the hire.

Tailgate
01-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Yes, how best to utilize Watt is probably his first thought after being hired. No worries about sacrifising JJ for the "system" here.

drs23
01-04-2014, 11:08 AM
OK drafniks, who's the bus that we get to play nose? The name I been hearing is Nix and he's already damaged goods. There's nobody on the roster now that comes even close.

Ninja: Gone. Mitchell: Gone. Sharpton: Gone. That barely scratches the surface. This is looking more and more to be a full blown rebuild much more than a tweak/tune.

Off base?

dalemurphy
01-04-2014, 11:10 AM

Yea, we stayed in the 3-4, but this hire pretty much changes everything on defense. Would have rather gone to an attacking 4-3 like Seattle.

No doubt that there will significant personnel changes needed. Still, I don't think it means keeping Manning is more important than it would be otherwise... In no system would I be remotely interested in Keo as a starting safety. Manning is an option but there are others available in free agency if we cut Manning for salary relief.

The DL will need a huge makeover. I think Crick will fit nicely as DE depth. Jamison could be servicable as depth at DE or shed 10 lbs and play a role as OLB.... There are no natural fits at DL signed for next season...

Mercilus and Reed both become LBs... I'm quite interested in how Reed looks under Crennel. So, with Mercilus, Cushing, and Reed, you have three assets to place in the four positions... Beyond that, don't forget about Trevardo Williams! This defense is designed for a guy just like Williams- Wade's system was designed to create a one on one matchup between the rushing OLB and offensive tackle... Romeo's 3-4 is designed to have Williams running free untouched or picked up by a TE or RB. Based on our current roster, those 4 guys should all fit into the defense quite well.

In the secondary, KJ, JJo, and Swearinger should all fit very well and probably look like better players than they have under Wade. Beyond that, I'll be interested in how the assess guys like Harris, Buoye, Pleasant, etc...

NT: **
DE: Crick, Jamison
DE:

Let's assume Watt converts to some type of OLB

OLB:Watt,
OLB:Mercilus, T. Williams
ILB:Cushing
ILB:B. Reed

CB: KJ, B.Harris
CB: JJo, McCain (should be fine not constantly exposed in man coverage from slot
S: Manning
S: Swearinger, Pleasant?

So, certainly there are some decisions to be made at DL/OLB (who converts to what best)...

Otherwise, the obvious roster holes are on the DL- especially if Watt doesn't play on the DL... Otherwise, I don't think it complicates our off-season needs... LB depth and Safety was going to be an issue to address regardless of the system.

steelbtexan
01-04-2014, 11:11 AM

He's already that.

Texn4life
01-04-2014, 11:11 AM

This! I'm not quite sure why people are in such a panic. Crennel isn't a dumb guy. He mixes up his schemes well and no doubt he'll find ways for Watt to make plays. Will there be times he may be asked to take on blocks to free people up? Sure, but its not going to be nearly as much as some here are thinking. JJ will still be the playmaking beast he's been since day 1.

dalemurphy
01-04-2014, 11:12 AM

Yes! thank you. Seymour!

phantom17
01-04-2014, 11:12 AM
I like this! We need to see what Crennel can do! He also has a long history of being a great DC! I still remember those Pats D when he ran it!:swatter:

steelbtexan
01-04-2014, 11:13 AM
What I love about his Defensive Coordinating history is that his defenses create turnovers and are always very good in the red zone. Every year as a DC, his teams have ranked higher in points allowed than in yards allowed. Ahh, yes, I am looking forward to being near the top in statistics that actually matter!

It will be interesting to see how they use JJ Watt. I'm trying to think of any Crennel defense with a defensive lineman with Watt's talent... I'm fairly certain that he usually has three large DLs always assigned with 2-gap responsibilities... The rest of the defense is very flexible and morphs into all kinds of alignments and responsibilities (using LBs, Safeties, and/or CBs to play as "jokers"- given assigned freedoms to make plays). The defense is built to free up the jokers to make plays and disguise where where they will be.

I'm not sure how Watt can be an effective play maker in this defense. It will be interesting... I imagine Watt's agent is already in panic mode, realizing how damaging this transition could be for Watt's upcoming contract if he is used in the traditional manner by Romeo.

Richard Seymour

LikeMike
01-04-2014, 11:16 AM
OK drafniks, who's the bus that we get to play nose? The name I been hearing is Nix and he's already damaged goods. There's nobody on the roster now that comes even close.

Ninja: Gone. Mitchell: Gone. Sharpton: Gone. That barely scratches the surface. This is looking more and more to be a full blown rebuild much more than a tweak/tune.

Off base?

I guess Mitchell will move over to DE - I think he would actually excell as a 3-4 DE in Crennells system. Why is Sharpton gone? He should be just fine as an ILB as long as he can stay healthy.

Right now, the line seems like the only area with a massive change. And still we have Watt, Mitchell and Crick as pretty suitable DEs. We are very thin at DT, that`s true. But a FA and a draftpick should suffice to fix that (Mitchell or Crick can play inside in case of emergency).

I´d say it is safe to say that NT will be either a big FA signing or a high draft pick. Other than that, most of our players can stay. Mercilus will love the new system. Perhaps get another pass rushing OLB, maybe some more depth at ILB and we are set. 4-6 new players through FA and draft picks with only 1-2 needing to be real impact players. That`s not a rebuild.

2slik4u
01-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Yes, how best to utilize Watt is probably his first thought after being hired. No worries about sacrifising JJ for the "system" here.

My thoughts exactly.

Texecutioner
01-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Like this. Let's go Texans!!

Thorn
01-04-2014, 11:20 AM
good hire. I'm liking what I see so far.

dalemurphy
01-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Quickly running through some 2Gap free agent names:

R.Starks
Solial
A. Franklin
L. Joseph
T. Cody
Ratliff
Pickett
J. Powe
Tyson Jackson
Raji
Kiesel
J.Jolly

among others...

Ben Frank
BOB said he wanted everyone to play as a "team".. and I believe that's something JJ believes in, I don't think he would wine about not getting as many sacks, if the team is winning.. but to be Honest... its JJ Watt!! He's still gonna have double digit sacks

dalemurphy
Richard Seymour

Yeah, sorry. I blanked on that one. Amazing what a couple of years in Oakland can do.

klockWork
01-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Romeo Crennel=Wade Phillips 2.0

steelbtexan
01-04-2014, 11:24 AM

Off base?

Sign Linval Joseph in FA and draft Ryan Carrethers.

If they dont draft Clowney I could see Mitchell re-signed and moved to DE to compete with Crick.

MistaRed
01-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Romeo Crennel=Wade Phillips 2.0

Can you explain this?

michaelm
01-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Can you explain this?

I can explain it. He has no idea what he's talking about.

Fred
01-04-2014, 11:33 AM
I still would prefer a "younger" guy like Horton and his style of defense, but it looks like he'll be getting a few HC interviews so good on him. Crennel would have been my second choice, so I'm pretty happy about the hire.

I like an old coot that the entire league knows is not a good HC. He can be great as a DC and be here for years because he won't get hired away like Horton would. Therefore my second choice was ... Thorn.

LikeMike
01-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Can you explain this?

Perhaps better DC than HC?

ArlingtonTexan
01-04-2014, 12:16 PM
B'OB also said he plans to play 70% of snaps in nickel or dime. So who cares about where or Watt is doing in the 3-4 if it will barely be used. Listen to his Q@A before getting anxious about our best player

yeah, I really don't care about 3-4 v 4-3 probably as much as I should for this reason. the fat NT plays less than 3rd corner and some games less than 6th DB.

JJ Watt will have plenty of chances to be JJ Watt.

Anyway, Romeo is a good hire also since it does give O'Brien a former NFL head coach as a resource for little things we that we as fans may not know or even care about that may be a part of the job.

ATXtexanfan
01-04-2014, 12:17 PM
I like this new coach

BullNation4Life
01-04-2014, 12:19 PM
So now all Billy Boy needs to do is hire the fat guy out of Kansas as the OC and the Texans go from Denver 2.0 to Patriots 2.0...

Will this team ever have it's own identity...

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2014, 12:23 PM
So now all Billy Boy needs to do is hire the fat guy out of Kansas as the OC and the Texans go from Denver 2.0 to Patriots 2.0...

Crawl , walk , run . :jogger:

I think we made it to a fast walk and failed . Would you rather have Kubiak and Richard Smith ?

Bulls on Parade
01-04-2014, 12:26 PM
DE:

CB: JJo, McCain (should be fine not constantly exposed in man coverage from slot

So, certainly there are some decisions to be made at DL/OLB (who converts to what best)...

Otherwise, the obvious roster holes are on the DL- especially if Watt doesn't play on the DL... Otherwise, I don't think it complicates our off-season needs... LB depth and Safety was going to be an issue to address regardless of the system.
I still want to draft Jadeveon Clowney number one overall. While I was thinking he'd be better suited at right end in a 4-3, he's so freakishly athletic I think he can still perform at full beast mode and dominate at right end in a 3-4 with J.J. Watt on the other side. We would simply need to find a legitimate nose tackle - perhaps draft one in round three if we go with a quarterback with the first pick in round two. I'd definitely target one of those big 330-pound nose tackles in the early rounds. If Daniel McCullers (6'8 and 351) out of Tennessee falls to round two, I'd snag him at 33. And then draft a quarterback with the first pick in round three.

BullNation4Life
01-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Crawl , walk , run . :jogger:

I think we made it to a fast walk and failed . Would you rather have Kubiak and Richard Smith ?

No that is what I am saying, Kubiak comes in and tries to make the Texans look like the Denver Broncos and failed for the most part. Now O'Brien comes in, has started hiring former Patriot coaches, and now the Texans will look like the Patriots...

I just would like the Texans to look like the Texans and stand apart on their own...

LikeMike
01-04-2014, 12:30 PM
I still want to draft Jadeveon Clowney number one overall. While I was thinking he'd be better suited at right end in a 4-3, he's so freakishly athletic I think he can still perform at full beast mode and dominate at right end in a 3-4 with J.J. Watt on the other side. We would simply need to find a legitimate nose tackle - perhaps draft one in round three if we go with a quarterback with the first pick in round two. I'd definitely target one of those big 330-pound nose tackles in the early rounds. If Daniel McCullers (6'8 and 351) out of Tennessee falls to round two, I'd snag him at 33. And then draft a quarterback with the first pick in round three.

Well, if Crennel wants to keep his system, we don`t need Clowney. He will need to be creative with Watt - if he also wants to use Clowney to his strengths he will either only be a situational pass rusher or change the whole 2 gap philosophy. Basically in that system, the D-Line plays like the O-Line. They block the O-Line players so that the LBs have a gap they can shoot. They are not looking to win the battle, they are looking to keep the linemen off the LBs.

dalemurphy
01-04-2014, 12:31 PM

You mean like:

New England= Cleveland Browns 2.0

or
Holmgren's Packers= SF 2.0

or
Reid's Eagles= Holmgren's Packers 2.0

The Pencil Neck
01-04-2014, 12:38 PM

When Belichick was hired, he was Parcells 2.0, hiring a bunch of his friends from his days on Parcells' staff.

Pretty much anyone you hire is going to have connections with previous coaching trees and they're going to hire people they know and have worked with in the past. The team gets its own identity when its coaching staff wins consistently and people stop associating the coach and staff with their previous assignments.

BullNation4Life
01-04-2014, 12:38 PM
You mean like:

New England= Cleveland Browns 2.0

or
Holmgren's Packers= SF 2.0

or
Reid's Eagles= Holmgren's Packers 2.0

Forgot Shannahan's Broncos = SF 2.0

Gruden's Raiders and Bucs = SF 2.0

OR it could go the way of McDaniel's Broncos = Patriots 2.0/ FAIL

OR Haley's Chiefs = Cardnials/Patriots 2.0/ FAIL

OR Crennel's Browns = Patriots 2.0/ FAIL

BullNation4Life
01-04-2014, 12:40 PM
When Belichick was hired, he was Parcells 2.0, hiring a bunch of his friends from his days on Parcells' staff.

Pretty much anyone you hire is going to have connections with previous coaching trees and they're going to hire people they know and have worked with in the past. The team gets its own identity when its coaching staff wins consistently and people stop associating the coach and staff with their previous assignments.

Yeah I get that, just don't want to hear that the Texans are the Patriot's 2.0 like we heard the Texans were Denver 2.0...

but if the Texans have 3 SB wins, guess being like the Patriots wouldn't be a bad thing...

WolverineFan
01-04-2014, 12:45 PM
No doubt that there will significant personnel changes needed. Still, I don't think it means keeping Manning is more important than it would be otherwise... In no system would I be remotely interested in Keo as a starting safety. Manning is an option but there are others available in free agency if we cut Manning for salary relief.

The DL will need a huge makeover. I think Crick will fit nicely as DE depth. Jamison could be servicable as depth at DE or shed 10 lbs and play a role as OLB.... There are no natural fits at DL signed for next season...

Mercilus and Reed both become LBs... I'm quite interested in how Reed looks under Crennel. So, with Mercilus, Cushing, and Reed, you have three assets to place in the four positions... Beyond that, don't forget about Trevardo Williams! This defense is designed for a guy just like Williams- Wade's system was designed to create a one on one matchup between the rushing OLB and offensive tackle... Romeo's 3-4 is designed to have Williams running free untouched or picked up by a TE or RB. Based on our current roster, those 4 guys should all fit into the defense quite well.

In the secondary, KJ, JJo, and Swearinger should all fit very well and probably look like better players than they have under Wade. Beyond that, I'll be interested in how the assess guys like Harris, Buoye, Pleasant, etc...

DE:

If you can cut Manning and find a suitable FA replacement for cheaper then fine, but I doubt a draft pick would come in and be a better player. I think we're stuck with his contract for now. Same with Joseph.

As for Watt, he's not an OLB. He will play DE. Mitchell is not suitable at DE in a two-gap system. He can't fight double teams. That's been the knock on him by every guy on this board for 2 years. The jury is still out on Crick although I don't think he'll ever be more than a depth player. Ninja is gone. No way he stays around to play true 3-4 DE. That's the reason he left Arizona. We have no NT. Huge holes on the D-Line starting right now.

At LB, Cushing fits right in at MLB, but we still need another guy at ILB. Sharpton is a FA and I wouldn't bring him back regardless. Maybe Joe Mays? Mercilus will be a great fit at OLB, but I'm not sold on Reed. I like him, but he's not a fit as a pass rusher. He's a run defender like Barwin in Philly. We may end up starting Trevardo Williams at OLB and Reed finally gets that shot at ILB.

bckey
01-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Great hire. Now maybe we get our fat boy in the middle of the dl. All we need now is Charlie Weiss (just kidding) as oc. If we hire the oc from Louisville then we all know who the first pick of the draft will be. I'm more for drafting Clowney and going with a veteran qb. Trading down would be alright with me also and grabbing one of the top 2 linebackers.

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2014, 12:47 PM
If you can cut Manning and find a suitable FA replacement for cheaper then fine, but I doubt a draft pick would come in and be a better player. I think we're stuck with his contract for now. Same with Joseph.

As for Watt, he's not an OLB. He will play DE. Mitchell is not suitable at DE in a two-gap system. He can't fight double teams. That's been the knock on him by every guy on this board for 2 years. The jury is still out on Crick although I don't think he'll ever be more than a depth player. Ninja is gone. No way he stays around to play true 3-4 DE. That's the reason he left Arizona. We have no NT. Huge holes on the D-Line starting right now.

At LB, Cushing fits right in at MLB, but we still need another guy at ILB. Sharpton is a FA and I wouldn't bring him back regardless. Maybe Joe Mays? Mercilus will be a great fit at OLB, but I'm not sold on Reed. I like him, but he's not a fit as a pass rusher. He's a run defender like Barwin in Philly. We may end up starting Trevardo Williams at OLB and Reed finally gets that shot at ILB.

Crennel likes big guys at NT and OLB IIRC .

Can we hire the camera crew from NE ?

WolverineFan
01-04-2014, 12:54 PM

I don't see where Clowney fits in the defense. I hear people say he can play OLB, but I don't see it. He's not a 3-4 DE either. He could be, but he doesn't want to be. He said last year that he wanted no part of playing 3-4 DE (sorry, couldn't find link) because he wants to rush the passer. The guy wants sacks. How long does he two-gap and play the run before he gives up because he isn't getting to the QB?

We need a big guy with length, who can beat single blocking and disrupt in the backfield, but who can also hold down to a double team and keep the LB's clean.

kiwitexansfan
01-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Which FA are Crennel guys? He will surely bring a couple of guys in who know the system.

BullNation4Life
01-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Which FA are Crennel guys? He will surely bring a couple of guys in who know the system.

Is there any chance Seymore gets cut by the Raiders this year before June 1st?

DX-TEX
01-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Thought Seymore was retired?

Brisco_County
01-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Watt can shoot the gap and still draw a double team as the system is designed to do. He will be used in many ways, adding another layer of unpredictability. Crennel is salivating at this opportunity.

But there's no way a coach reassigns Watt to OLB. The interior pressure he imposes is of premium value in the league. The Texans attempted to obtain it through two 1st round picks (Okoye, Travis Johnson) before striking gold with Watt.

Vance87
01-04-2014, 01:02 PM

I hear Haynesworth is available.

:kitten:

steelbtexan
01-04-2014, 01:07 PM

Seymour didn't play last yr.

The Bears tied to sign him after Melton got hurt. He wanted 5 mil for half a season. So that's not happening. Although it would be great if it did.

LikeMike
01-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Watt can shoot the gap and still draw a double team as the system is designed to do. He will be used in many ways, adding another layer of unpredictability. Crennel is salivating at this opportunity.

But there's no way a coach reassigns Watt to OLB. The interior pressure he imposes is of premium value in the league. The Texans attempted to obtain it through two 1st round picks (Okoye, Travis Johnson) before striking gold with Watt.

I might be wrong - but doesn`t 2 gap mean, Watt is not supposed to shoot the gap, but basically "block" 2 linemen? The way I undersgtand it, he isn`t supposed to win a double team, he is supposed to make sure, that the LBs have a clear path to the QB.

In Wades system, every player is supposed to "win" - in a classic 2 gap, the D-Line is not supposed to win, they are supposed to block the O-Line so the LBs can "win".

That`s why people are worried about Watt - and that`s where Crennels job gets interesting, because there is no way he is using the best defensive player in the league like that.

EllisUnit
01-04-2014, 01:11 PM
I might be wrong - but doesn`t 2 gap mean, Watt is not supposed to shoot the gap, but basically "block" 2 linemen? The way I undersgtand it, he isn`t supposed to win a double team, he is supposed to make sure, that the LBs have a clear path to the QB.

In Wades system, every player is supposed to "win" - in a classic 2 gap, the D-Line is not supposed to win, they are supposed to block the O-Line so the LBs can "win".

That`s why people are worried about Watt - and that`s where Crennels job gets interesting, because there is no way he is using the best defensive player in the league like that.

Didnt BOB say he dont care about players personal stats, but instead about the team.....If that is the case though you can expect Watt to not stay around after his contract is up.

PapaL
01-04-2014, 01:11 PM
I'm guessing Rac is going to run a hybrid and maximize our best players. The days of running one D all the time are long gone.

Also, was Watt double teamed all year or just chipped?

Texian
01-04-2014, 01:14 PM
lifeline.

DX-TEX
01-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m
Good chance that Romeo Crennel becomes #Texans DC. But not yet. Just texted me, “Still unemployed.” Will coach East-West game in 2 weeks

Thread title wrong

EllisUnit
01-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Thread title wrong

yeah i agree i have been looking for confirmation all morning and havent found any.

TheIronDuke
01-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Didn't we do something similar with hiring Wade after the East-West Shrine game so that he could get a better knowledge of the prospects from the inside? Active NFL coaches can't participate in it right?

Texan4Ever
01-04-2014, 01:20 PM
790 (or 610) not sure which station but anyways, one of the commentators made a valid point for sticking with Wade.

A.) He knows the team well enough and keeping him would make it easier for Bill O'Brien as far as dealing with player issues as well as understanding what we have as far as talent is concerned. B.) As a former HC, he can give O'Brien good insight as to how to handle certain challenges that come with being a HC since this is O'Brien's first gig.

Romeo is also a solid hire and I think he would make an excellent coordinator. He had a solid 10-6 season with the Browns who lacked talent and he did an OK job at KC and I would argue he laid the foundation for them to be successful down the road.

kiwitexansfan
01-04-2014, 01:31 PM

Don't, just don't.

WolverineFan
01-04-2014, 01:37 PM

Haha

WolverineFan
01-04-2014, 01:41 PM
A.) He knows the team well enough and keeping him would make it easier for Bill O'Brien as far as dealing with player issues as well as understanding what we have as far as talent is concerned. B.) As a former HC, he can give O'Brien good insight as to how to handle certain challenges that come with being a HC since this is O'Brien's first gig.

A) If Wade knows the team so well then why oh why is Brice McCain still playing man coverage on every single play? Why is Sharpton/Tarpinian in man coverage on Gronkowski? Maybe Wade can deal with player issues (timeouts may be involved) but it's pretty clear that his understanding of the available talent is somewhat flawed. If that's not the case then his stubbornness to adapt his scheme to apparent flaws in talent should get him fired regardless.

B) Doesn't Crennel have that same experience as a (failed) Head Coach?

I'm not sure how I feel about Crennel's scheme, but I'm pretty confident that he will be a more successful DC than Wade. Under Wade, the numbers looked great, but what we saw on the field didn't match what we saw on the stat sheet. He was consistently run over by competent QB's and in the red zone by pretty much everybody.

jtexas
01-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Well hopefully BoB doesn't listen to the media, because this move isn't well received. I'll hold off judgement but I was hoping BoB would distance himself from the pats failed coaching tree.

dalemurphy
01-04-2014, 02:04 PM
A) If Wade knows the team so well then why oh why is Brice McCain still playing man coverage on every single play? Why is Sharpton/Tarpinian in man coverage on Gronkowski? Maybe Wade can deal with player issues (timeouts may be involved) but it's pretty clear that his understanding of the available talent is somewhat flawed. If that's not the case then his stubbornness to adapt his scheme to apparent flaws in talent should get him fired regardless.

B) Doesn't Crennel have that same experience as a (failed) Head Coach?

I'm not sure how I feel about Crennel's scheme, but I'm pretty confident that he will be a more successful DC than Wade. Under Wade, the numbers looked great, but what we saw on the field didn't match what we saw on the stat sheet. He was consistently run over by competent QB's and in the red zone by pretty much everybody.

The "bend but don't break monicker" is not really the intention/goal of the 2-Gap defense... The nature of the defense lends itself to zones or man under with zone deep coverage, which tend to prevent quick strikes... not to mention that it is not a system that requires each gap of the line to be penetrated by a defender... Therefore, it is not as easily attacked with screens and draws as one-gap attack defenses... Generally, there is less "gambling" at the line of scrimmage but that is a function of discipline and design rather than an attitude of caution.

Also, Romeo's defenses have always been good in the red zone... Because it is designed to react to the offense as a single entity, seldom will you see LBs chasing receivers across the field in man coverage. How many red zone passing TDs did the Texans give up because the offense was able to use formation or motion to get a favorable matchup isolated in man coverage? Next year, that should be the exception rather than the rule.

thunderkyss
01-04-2014, 02:08 PM

Reverse prophecy. You can thank me latter.

I'm stoked. Imagine the guys who wanted Cowher as their next head coach, how happy they would be if that were to happen. That's how happy I am right now.

I didn't think O'Brien could pull in Crennel (I think that much of him) even with their New England connection. They weren't there at the same time. I didn't believe they knew each other very well, if at all.

EllisUnit
01-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Well hopefully BoB doesn't listen to the media, because this move isn't well received. I'll hold off judgement but I was hoping BoB would distance himself from the pats failed coaching tree.

He might of failed as a head coach but he has always been a good DC

01-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Somebody needs to change the thread title!

thunderkyss
01-04-2014, 02:43 PM

First.... let's remember it's been quite some time since Manning actually played well.

Second.... cutting Manning adds about $6M to our cap. Cutting Joseph adds about $7M. I don't suggest cutting Jjo, but I'd get over it rather quickly if they were to cut Manning.

Third... Quinten Demps only started 6 games for KC, but he got a lot of snaps & played well.

4th... I'd like to see how this FA class shakes out. Might see Byrd, Bethea, Ihedigbo, plus some lesser known talents. oh yeah & Ed Reed

thunderkyss
01-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Somebody needs to change the thread title!

Agreed. Has there been confirmation? This (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000308855/article/bill-obrien-expected-to-clear-out-houston-texans-staff) is all I got. We may be jumping the gun here.

The Texans are expected to give Romeo Crennel a strong look as possibly their next defensive coordinator. Wade Phillips' chances of sticking with the team are very small to none, according to Rapoport.

LikeMike
01-04-2014, 02:50 PM
First.... let's remember it's been quite some time since Manning actually played well.

Second.... cutting Manning adds about $6M to our cap. Cutting Joseph adds about $7M. I don't suggest cutting Jjo, but I'd get over it rather quickly if they were to cut Manning.

Third... Quinten Demps only started 6 games for KC, but he got a lot of snaps & played well.

4th... I'd like to see how this FA class shakes out. Might see Byrd, Bethea, Ihedigbo, plus some lesser known talents. oh yeah & Ed Reed

If I understand the cap situation correctly, cutting JoJo would save you 3.75 million and Manning would save you 4.5 million - the rest would stay as dead money on the salary cap. That`s something people need to consider when suggesting cutting our players (cutting Schaub only saves us 4 million next season, but of course that move will come).

Manning and JoJo have been beasts when they came here and then declined and got injured. I´d like to give them a chance in training camp with the new coaching staff.

thunderkyss
01-04-2014, 03:08 PM
If I understand the cap situation correctly, cutting JoJo would save you 3.75 million and Manning would save you 4.5 million - the rest would stay as dead money on the salary cap. That`s something people need to consider when suggesting cutting our players

You're right (http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Texans). I read the dead money wrong.

(cutting Schaub only saves us 4 million next season, but of course that move will come).

You're right, unless we designate him as a June 1st cut. We'll gain $11M from cutting Schaub & $7M by designating Jjo a June 1st cut as well.... I believe we're allowed 2. Though I don't suggest we cut Jjo, just renegotiate his compensation freeing up as much as $7M.

infantrycak
01-04-2014, 03:14 PM
You're right, unless we designate him as a June 1st cut. We'll gain $11M from cutting Schaub & $7M by designating Jjo a June 1st cut as well.... I believe we're allowed 2. Though I don't suggest we cut Jjo, just renegotiate his compensation freeing up as much as $7M.

Why push dead money off to clog up future years?

There is no limit on June 1st cuts. There is a 2 player limit on cutting them before June 1st and designating them as June 1st cuts.,

thunderkyss
01-04-2014, 03:44 PM

It's just another option available to us. If it makes sense, do it. If not, don't. But if we're talking about maximizing our free cap space for the 2014 season, we make Schaub a June 1st cut. He's due $17M in 2015. Making him a June 1st cut would save us $10M against the 2015 cap.

If you haven't done it, go to OTC (http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Texans) As it stands we are $8.7M under the cap for 2014, $18.8M under for 2015.

If we make Schaub a June 1st cut (in the drop down box) we'll be $19.2M under in 2014 & $28.7M under in 2015.

welsh texan
01-04-2014, 03:46 PM

There is no limit on June 1st cuts. There is a 2 player limit on cutting them before June 1st and designating them as June 1st cuts.,

In effect though you don't get to use that money in FA if you don't designate them beforehand.

Slightly surprised at Dalemurphy's assertion that suddenly Mercilus is going to be a force at OLB, and Reed suddenly moves to ILB to a similar effect. Just don't expect a big turnaround like that. I think we may be stuck with them both starting at OLB next season, maybe Trev takes over one of their spots, but I just think there's too much else to get done early in the draft to address that unless we take a ransom for trading back.

mussop
01-04-2014, 03:58 PM

This! This move really worries me.

Hervoyel
01-04-2014, 04:03 PM

Well, they spend a lot of time double-teaming Watt already and he beats it often enough so I don't think they would want him to stop doing that. If the guy demands a double-team and then beats it that's a win-win for everyone right? You still have LB's coming in without having to get around OL bodies right?

WolverineFan
01-04-2014, 04:34 PM
The "bend but don't break monicker" is not really the intention/goal of the 2-Gap defense... The nature of the defense lends itself to zones or man under with zone deep coverage, which tend to prevent quick strikes... not to mention that it is not a system that requires each gap of the line to be penetrated by a defender... Therefore, it is not as easily attacked with screens and draws as one-gap attack defenses... Generally, there is less "gambling" at the line of scrimmage but that is a function of discipline and design rather than an attitude of caution.

Also, Romeo's defenses have always been good in the red zone... Because it is designed to react to the offense as a single entity, seldom will you see LBs chasing receivers across the field in man coverage. How many red zone passing TDs did the Texans give up because the offense was able to use formation or motion to get a favorable matchup isolated in man coverage? Next year, that should be the exception rather than the rule.

I understand the scheme just fine. What I'm talking about when I say I'm not sure how I feel about the scheme I'm talking about how it fits with our personnel.

We have one DL capable of two-gaping and that's J.J. Watt. Of course, that would mean that our best player is now reduced to two-gaping. I realize that adjustments will be made, but on the surface I just don't see how this move works with our best player or with how our front seven is currently constructed.

drs23
01-04-2014, 04:44 PM

Yeah, that pee-pee and moan line kinda slays me. That's just the way it works in the league every time there's a HCing change. What's Obie supposed to do? Scour the Pop Warner league for the brightest candles? Geeze. I have every confidence that this man is his own man and when this thing is done and in place it will have his own stamp on it.

Mr. White
01-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Just got an ESPN alert on my phone that says Crennel is undecided on returning to the NFL.

BetaV1
01-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Just got an ESPN alert on my phone that says Crennel is undecided on returning to the NFL.

Please be true. I just ate some real good buffalo wings and this thread is not helping my stomach.

JCTexan
01-04-2014, 06:06 PM
The Patriots won three Super Bowls with Crennel as their DC. I have no problem with the Texans hiring him.

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Please be true. I just ate some real good buffalo wings and this thread is not helping my stomach.

He ran calling wildfire .

markn
01-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Forgot Shannahan's Broncos = SF 2.0

Gruden's Raiders and Bucs = SF 2.0

OR it could go the way of McDaniel's Broncos = Patriots 2.0/ FAIL

OR Haley's Chiefs = Cardnials/Patriots 2.0/ FAIL

OR Crennel's Browns = Patriots 2.0/ FAIL

In any case, what's the point of being Patriots 2.0 unless you you you can find Brady 2.0? Don't remember their system being quite so lauded under drew Bledsoe.

dalemurphy
01-04-2014, 07:12 PM
In any case, what's the point of being Patriots 2.0 unless you you you can find Brady 2.0? Don't remember their system being quite so lauded under drew Bledsoe.

Well, that's the system that got the Patriots to the Superbowl early in Bledsoe's career. It's also the system that led to Superbowl wins with Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler... also the system that got the Jets to the AFC Championship game with Vinny Testeverde and an 11 win season with Matt Cassel. Oh, and let's not forget that Tom Brady wasn't exactly the player he is now when they won their first Superbowl.

But, okay... Reject that system! What do you suggest?

EllisUnit
01-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Well, that's the system that got the Patriots to the Superbowl early in Bledsoe's career. It's also the system that led to Superbowl wins with Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler... also the system that got the Jets to the AFC Championship game with Vinny Testeverde and an 11 win season with Matt Cassel. Oh, and let's not forget that Tom Brady wasn't exactly the player he is now when they won their first Superbowl.

Yeah haha amazing how flawed that system is huh :whip:

markn
01-04-2014, 07:17 PM

I suggest that the Patriots are perennial contenders because of Brady, not their system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Allstar
01-04-2014, 07:25 PM
I suggest that the Patriots are perennial contenders because of Brady, not their system.

Agreed. As are the Packers,Colts/Broncos, and Saints.

dalemurphy
01-04-2014, 07:42 PM

You are the one that initiated the criticism... What system is it that you would like, given we do not have Tom Brady?

markn
01-04-2014, 07:43 PM
Agreed. As are the Packers,Colts/Broncos, and Saints.

If it wasn't true, this joke wouldn't exist:

Q: Who was the Patriots QB before Tom Brady?
A: Dunno, I was a Cowboys fan then.

markn
01-04-2014, 07:46 PM
You are the one that initiated the criticism... What system is it that you would like, given we do not have Tom Brady?

I wasn't initiating a criticism, merely making my observation that the system is unimportant if you have e.g. Brady/Manning/Brees running it. Stick Brady or Manning in the Texans 2011 WC offense and we're instant Superbowl contenders.

Playoffs
01-04-2014, 07:55 PM

Belichick and Brady -- can't separate, imo. Brady was developed by Belichick. He didn't come out of college all polished up & pretty.

When Brady went down, Matt Cassel led them to 11-5 season in 2008.

dalemurphy
01-04-2014, 08:03 PM
I wasn't initiating a criticism, merely making my observation that the system is unimportant if you have e.g. Brady/Manning/Brees running it. Stick Brady or Manning in the Texans 2011 WC offense and we're instant Superbowl contenders.

trust me, it matters. Only one team wins each year and it isn't usually the team with the best Qb.

burro
01-04-2014, 08:05 PM
I dont get all of the skepticism. When we hired Wade, he was a failed HC with a reputation as a great DC who built historically good defenses...and we were optimistic (for good reason). Crennel is the exact same story, except he has three SB rings. Whats wrong with that?

markn
01-04-2014, 08:05 PM
trust me, it matters. Only one team wins each year and it isn't usually the team with the best Qb.

Well good job it's such a closely guarded secret, cos if the other NFL teams found out, they'd all be doing it :-)

Playoffs
01-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Brett Kollmann ‏@BrettKollmann
Just talked to Willie McGinest about his time under Crennel. He thinks Watt will be just fine as 5 tech. Says he'll play Seymour role.

hradhak
01-04-2014, 08:37 PM
I was a little disappointed we didn't keep Vance Joseph. I'm fine with BOB bringing in his own, but I feel like Vance Joseph is going to be a really good DC somewhere.

LikeMike
01-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Brett Kollmann ‏@BrettKollmann

I really like Seymore and think he was a hell of a player - but in NE his best season was 8 sacks, 34 tackles, 1 FF and 8 passes deflected. Watt is capable of so much more and a defense should be designed to play to our best players strengths.

So in short: I don`t want him to play the Seymore role. If Crennel comes here, he better makes sure to design his defense around our players and to make best use of Watt.

aussie_texan
01-04-2014, 09:30 PM
I really like Seymore and think he was a hell of a player - but in NE his best season was 8 sacks, 34 tackles, 1 FF and 8 passes deflected. Watt is capable of so much more and a defense should be designed to play to our best players strengths.

So in short: I don`t want him to play the Seymore role. If Crennel comes here, he better makes sure to design his defense around our players and to make best use of Watt.

watt just makes plays. i don't think you need to develop a system around him. if anything build a system which helps other players shine and just sit back and watch watt do his thing

Lucky
01-04-2014, 09:32 PM
JJ Watt will have plenty of chances to be JJ Watt.

Right. Watt will get plenty of opportunities to rush the passer. Especially if the Texans can stop the run (and the offense can put points on the board). It's not as if the Texans will be in a base 3-4 during passing downs.
I liked Seymour, also. But on his best day, he was never as good as JJ Watt. What Watt can accomplish isn't restricted by what Seymour accomplished.

deucetx
01-04-2014, 09:37 PM

Here's the thing though...it's about the TEAM not just Watt. I want the Texans to make plays. Watt will get his but what we need is for the team to have success. I don't really care who gets the sacks as long as they are done. That is what you saw in those Patriots defenses back then. It wasn't about just one player but all as one unit. And from seeing Watt's comments he would want nothing less than team success.

mussop
01-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Didn't Seymour play in the middle?

ArlingtonTexan
01-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Didn't Seymour play in the middle?

He played 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT. he was above average at both positions and in theory like Watt could have played strong De in a 4-3 if needed.

steelbtexan
01-04-2014, 10:21 PM
It's just another option available to us. If it makes sense, do it. If not, don't. But if we're talking about maximizing our free cap space for the 2014 season, we make Schaub a June 1st cut. He's due $17M in 2015. Making him a June 1st cut would save us $10M against the 2015 cap.

If you haven't done it, go to OTC (http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Texans) As it stands we are $8.7M under the cap for 2014, $18.8M under for 2015.

If we make Schaub a June 1st cut (in the drop down box) we'll be $19.2M under in 2014 & $28.7M under in 2015.

I've heard the cap is going up in 2015. The new TV deal kicks in.

steelbtexan
01-04-2014, 10:31 PM

Stop letting facts getting in the way of all of that Texans hate. Seems to me BoB finally made a potentially great hire.

Texecutioner
01-04-2014, 10:35 PM
I liked Seymour, also. But on his best day, he was never as good as JJ Watt. What Watt can accomplish isn't restricted by what Seymour accomplished.

Hell, that's a huge understatement. And I loved Seymour in NE. One of the dumbest moves by BB he ever made. But Seymour couldn't hold Watt's jockstrap. Watt is just another type of beast.

leebigeztx
01-04-2014, 11:00 PM
RAC does more 1 gaping than people initially think. Seymore had 10 sacks 1 yr and ty warren had 8. =hose were multiple,great defensive teams. He also turned teddy bruschi,a former 4-3 de into a hell raising ilb( brooks reed get ready). He plays a lot of zone and as someone mntioned,from ted washington to wilfolk to poe,he likes the immoveable nt. Been wanting romeo for awhile,glad he's here now,hopefully.

acal21
01-04-2014, 11:03 PM
if this turns out to be true i would be super pumped

and if you think watt is gonna wanna stick around to get sacks his whole career you are crazy, i think he wants to win more than anything

the one thing that stands out to me is that amazing defense the chiefs played a couple years back to give the packers their first loss of the season.. big upset

Texn4life
01-04-2014, 11:33 PM
I don't know how people think this wouldn't be a good hire. To me, Derrick Johnson hasn't been the same guy since Romeo left Kansas City and he helped develop a lot of that top notch defense there. If Romeo falls through I still say bring Mangini in. Brilliant football mind even as awkward as he can be at times.

P.S. Please ignore the results from today since he's not there anymore and it ruins my argument.

Jackie Chiles
01-04-2014, 11:35 PM
I don't know how people think this wouldn't be a good hire. To me, Derrick Thomas hasn't been the same guy since Romeo left Kansas City and he helped develop a lot of that top notch defense there. If Romeo falls through I still say bring Mangini in. Brilliant football mind even as awkward as he can be at times.

P.S. Please ignore the results from today since he's not there anymore and it ruins my argument.

Derrick Johnson?

Texn4life
01-04-2014, 11:38 PM
Derrick Johnson?

Yeah, that's my mistake. Although Thomas would have been a great fit in his defense.

Jackie Chiles
01-04-2014, 11:40 PM
Yeah, that's my mistake. Although Thomas would have been a great fit in his defense.

He and JJ on the same team would be something to behold for sure.

Texecutioner
01-04-2014, 11:42 PM

Thomas would have been a great fit on any team when you put it that way. I think he'll be a nice fit here with O'Brien, but I just hope that he still has the same kind of fire at his old age. He is the same age is Wade if I'm not mistaken.

PapaL
01-05-2014, 12:34 AM
I dont get all of the skepticism. When we hired Wade, he was a failed HC with a reputation as a great DC who built historically good defenses...and we were optimistic (for good reason). Crennel is the exact same story, except he has three SB rings. Whats wrong with that?

He's not son of bum. He's not a local. And something else. Hmmm...

Big Lou
01-05-2014, 01:43 AM
He's not son of bum. He's not a local. And something else. Hmmm...

Pudgy? So was Wade.........

J/K, don't matter to me, to quote Al Davis, "Just win baby".

Surreal McCoy
01-05-2014, 01:52 AM
Son of a martha farkin' friend of O'Brien hire. We're doomed to mediocrity with our cheap ass owner and his good ol' boy ways.

Yup. Just trading one Good Ol' Boy network for another. The King is dead, long live the King!

Carr Bombed
01-05-2014, 01:54 AM
I like this! We need to see what Crennel can do! He also has a long history of being a great DC! I still remember those Pats D when he ran it!:swatter:

There's only one problem with how people that remember how those Pats D were when Crennel ran it.

The Colts cried like little bitches after Ty Law and the Pats were able to assault them.. and then Video gate came out and regardless if people want to admit it or not, that now comes into play.

The league does NOT allow you to abuse or even get a feel up on offensive players the way those Pats were able to do to other team's offensive players, so that has to be taken into consideration.

I think this guy has a good enough eye to identify defensive talent that can help us, but the way that Pats team was able to defend is long gone with the way this game is called today. Those teams would be flagged up and down the field if they played today.

Marshall
01-05-2014, 03:15 AM

I guess you don't count dead money or you expect the cuts to be June 1 cuts and create 2014 space at the expense of 2015 when we pay Watt.

thunderkyss
01-05-2014, 07:27 AM
I guess you don't count dead money or you expect the cuts to be June 1 cuts and create 2014 space at the expense of 2015 when we pay Watt.

We all need to really think about what signing Watt would mean & if it's worth it if it is going to limit us & our ability to add talent to this team the way many seem to believe.

We don't know what the 2015 salary cap is going to be, but as it stands, we would be $30M under the cap in 2014 & $37M under the cap in 2015 just by making Schaub & Jjo June 1st cuts.

Andre Johnson will have a $16M cap number. Duane Brown, Arian Foster, Brian Cushing & Chris Myers, all have contracts that could be renegotiated in 2015. Chris Myers may even be cut depending on what he looks like in 2014. We could gain $6M right there.

Mario Williams (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-williams/) had a $9M cap hit in 2012 with no dead money. $12M cap hit in 2013, then escalates to $18M in 2014 & $19M for 2015 & 2016. Most of that can be made up by restructuring Andre's contract. If we plan for him to be a Texan for life, we'll be offering him another extension anyway.

"Draft only" pretty much got us where we are today. If we're going to compete with Baltimore, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver... Rick Smith (or whoever our GM is going to be) will have to improve on his FA acquisitions.

phantom17
01-05-2014, 07:58 AM
There's only one problem with how people that remember how those Pats D were when Crennel ran it.

The Colts cried like little bitches after Ty Law and the Pats were able to assault them.. and then Video gate came out and regardless if people want to admit it or not, that now comes into play.

The league does NOT allow you to abuse or even get a feel up on offensive players the way those Pats were able to do to other team's offensive players, so that has to be taken into consideration.

I think this guy has a good enough eye to identify defensive talent that can help us, but the way that Pats team was able to defend is long gone with the way this game is called today. Those teams would be flagged up and down the field if they played today.

Carr- I'm not saying that we need to be exactly like the Pat's D of old, & new rules changes will not allow it. I just want a new strong, well known, & respected DC to run this Texans D & to identify the right type of players! No more Frank Bushes to run things!

speedfreek
01-05-2014, 07:59 AM
Billy just like Gary -- bringing in his old buddies. Lets hope
that side of the Belichick tree learned something the last time they were
fired..

Any old patriot GM's out there? If so -- Watch out Rick Smith

thunderkyss
01-05-2014, 08:04 AM
No more Frank Bushes to run things!

Brace yourselves.

phantom17
01-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Brace yourselves.

LOL, TK- you don't have to tell me that! I have been following Houston sports teams since 1981! I pretty much seen 'em all! No bandwagon fan here!

Texans Pride
01-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Looks like this guy has jumped the gun, nothing official but more info.

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/01/04/romeo-crennel-hired-houston-texans-bill-obrien-fires-previous-staff/

Out is Wade Phillips and the old members of the Houston Texans coaching staff, and in comes Romeo Crennel to replace Phillips as the Texans defensive coordinator. A Crennel-to-the-Texans move has been in the cards ever since a rumor surfaced yesterday, and FOX Sports’s Alex Marvez reports, citing a source, that O’Brien has fired the previous staff and has indeed brought on Crennel to be the new Texans defensive coordinator.

steelbtexan
01-05-2014, 10:21 AM
We all need to really think about what signing Watt would mean & if it's worth it if it is going to limit us & our ability to add talent to this team the way many seem to believe.

We don't know what the 2015 salary cap is going to be, but as it stands, we would be $30M under the cap in 2014 & $37M under the cap in 2015 just by making Schaub & Jjo June 1st cuts.

Andre Johnson will have a $16M cap number. Duane Brown, Arian Foster, Brian Cushing & Chris Myers, all have contracts that could be renegotiated in 2015. Chris Myers may even be cut depending on what he looks like in 2014. We could gain $6M right there.

Mario Williams (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-williams/) had a $9M cap hit in 2012 with no dead money. $12M cap hit in 2013, then escalates to $18M in 2014 & $19M for 2015 & 2016. Most of that can be made up by restructuring Andre's contract. If we plan for him to be a Texan for life, we'll be offering him another extension anyway.

"Draft only" pretty much got us where we are today. If we're going to compete with Baltimore, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver... Rick Smith (or whoever our GM is going to be) will have to improve on his FA acquisitions.

I've been saying for the last 8 yrs the only way to build a great team is to draft well and use FA/trades to fill in the rest of the holes. This is the Pats way. It cant get to Houston soon enough.

bhsman
01-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Anyone who claims that O'Brien wanting to hire Crennel is anything like Frank Bush has NO idea what they're talking about.

Carr Bombed
01-05-2014, 11:25 AM
I would've went with a D coord who coaches a attacking 4-3 (as I think our defensive roster is more suited for it, Wade coached a 3-4, but it was more of a hybrid 4-3) but that's just me. This hire means two things to me.

1. McNair's "we're not rebuilding" statement is clear out the window

and

2. This upcoming draft's resources is going to be mainly spent on acquiring defensive talent to make this defense work since we're going to need to find the right pieces to the puzzle. (see point 1. and why we're "rebuilding")

Off the bat, we're going to have to replace 2 defensive lineman, 2 LBs (and the only reason why it isn't 3 is because Mercilus is still Smith's first round pick) , and a safety. That's half the defense (not even counting the new back ups or players we cut for cap space) and that's without even addressing the offensive holes. We are in complete rebuild mode.. when McNair tells you different, he's either lying straight to your face or is completely delusional. If I had to choose I hope he's just lying, because you can still be competent while trying to b.s. the masses. However competence and delusional do not go hand in hand. I hope Bob recognizes what he's up against and doesn't truly believe that this isn't a rebuilding project. This is the definition of a rebuilding project.

Hardcore Texan
01-05-2014, 01:18 PM
So BOB has a RAC? Nice RAC, BOB.

LikeMike
01-05-2014, 02:13 PM
I would've went with a D coord who coaches a attacking 4-3 (as I think our defensive roster is more suited for it, Wade coached a 3-4, but it was more of a hybrid 4-3) but that's just me. This hire means two things to me.

1. McNair's "we're not rebuilding" statement is clear out the window

and

2. This upcoming draft resources is going to be mainly spent on acquiring defensive talent to make this defense work since we're going to need to find the right pieces to the puzzle. (see point 1. and why we're "rebuilding")

Off the bat, we're going to have to replace 2 defensive lineman, 2 LBs (and the only reason why it isn't 3 is because Mercilus is still Smith's first round pick) , and a safety. That's half the defense (not even counting the new back ups or players we cut for cap space) and that's without even addressing the offensive holes. We are in complete rebuild mode.. when McNair tells you different, he's either lying straight to your face or is completely delusional. If I had to choose I hope he's just lying, because you can still be competent while trying to b.s. the masses. However competence and delusional do not go hand in hand. I hope Bob recognizes what he's up against and doesn't truly believe that this isn't a rebuilding project. This is the definition of a rebuilding project.

Now that is something I don`t understand. Why rebuild? 2 defensive linemen? Crick and Mitchell might take at least one of those spots. Smith was always in danger because of his high salary. No big difference personal wise to us staying with the same system.

2 LBs? Well we probably needed 1 inside LB no matter what and another one that can rush the passer. Depending on Sharpton and Reed, that number might be reduced to one and some depth.

Safety? Why? If Manning is cut, we would always need a replacement. If Not, him an Swearinger would be decent starters.

In effect, personal wise, we don`t really need that much more players than if we`d stay put. I´d argue NT is the only real difference, because it went from "could use an upgrade" to "definetly needs an upgrade". And overall we need:

1 NT starter
DE depth
1-2 LB starters

And that`s about it on defense. Far from a rebuild. On offense we are fine with a new QB and some line help - perhaps a new TE. Overall we can "fix" this team with 5-7 new players. And we still have so much talent on this team, that we were considered superbowl contenders before last season.

Playoffs
01-05-2014, 02:21 PM
A little concerned Crennel is taking this long to decide if he wants to coach again -- wonder if his heart's not in it? :hmmm:

dtran04
01-05-2014, 02:35 PM
A little concerned Crennel is taking this long to decide if he wants to coach again -- wonder if his heart's not in it? :hmmm:

His people are waiting to be "persuaded" by a bigger salary....:)

Honoring Earl 34
01-05-2014, 02:38 PM

Lots of head coaching jobs out there .

Playoffs
01-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Lots of head coaching jobs out there .

Nobody calling him for HC that I've heard.

Perhaps his age, plus watching that kid blow his brains out in front of him has taken the "want to" out of Crennel. Must have been traumatic. Dunno...

Naija Texan
01-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Nobody calling him for HC that I've heard.

Perhaps his age, plus watching that kid blow his brains out in front of him has taken the "want to" out of Crennel. Must have been traumatic. Dunno...

Yeah, I think that spot with the suicide probably hurt Crennel a lot and he most likely needs some time deal with that.

Dutchrudder
01-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Anyone who claims that O'Brien wanting to hire Crennel is anything like Frank Bush has NO idea what they're talking about.

A million times this ^.

Here's frank Bush's resume before becoming the DC of the Texans:

5th round pick by the Oilers in 1985 and started 11 games. In 1986 he quit the NFL because he had a "narrow spinal canal."

1987-94 - Became a scout for the Oilers

95-99 - Linebackers coach for the Broncos (2 time SB champs)

2000 - Secondary coach for Broncos

2001-2003 - Special Teams coach

2004-2006 - Linebackers coach for the Cardinals

Crennel's Resume:

1970-1974 Western Kentucky (Defensive Line Coach)

1975-1977 Texas Tech (Defensive Assistant)

1978-1979 Ole Miss (Defensive Ends Coach)

1980 Georgia Tech (Defensive Line Coach)

1981-1992 New York Giants (1981-1989) (Special Teams Coach)
(1990-1992) (Defensive Line Coach)

1993-1996 New England Patriots (Defensive Line Coach)

1997-1999 New York Jets (Defensive Line Coach)

2000 Cleveland Browns (Defensive Coordinator)

2001-2004 New England Patriots (Defensive Coordinator)

2005-2008 Cleveland Browns (Head Coach)

2010-2012 Kansas City Chiefs (2010-2012) (Defensive Coordinator)
(2011) (Interim Head Coach)
(2012) (Head Coach)

I'll gladly give contestant number 2 a shot. Thank you very much.

kiwitexansfan
01-05-2014, 04:22 PM
I think it was said earlier in the thread but it might bear repeating again.

Crennel is coaching the East-West Shrine game. Only non-NFL coaches can do this.

Theory is while he may be committed to coming here, he won't be announced till after he has coached that game and got some first hand exposure to some draft prospects.

Playoffs
01-05-2014, 04:24 PM

Crennel is coaching the East-West Shrine game. Only non-NFL coaches can do this.

Theory is while he may be committed to coming here, he won't be announced till after he has coached that game and got some first hand exposure to some draft prospects.

Ahh, totally missed that. Thanks.

PapaL
01-05-2014, 04:59 PM

Ding Ding Ding Ding

Someone get this man a prize!

amazing80
01-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Not a fan of this hire AT ALL. Maybe I missed something, but honestly, what has he done that was so great as DC?

infantrycak
01-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Not a fan of this hire AT ALL. Maybe I missed something, but honestly, what has he done that was so great as DC?

Other than being DC for 3 SB wins?

steelbtexan
01-05-2014, 06:48 PM

Not too much {Sarcasm/////)

I guess the bar around here has been raised to 5-10 SB's?

EllisUnit
01-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Looks like this guy has jumped the gun, nothing official but more info.

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/01/04/romeo-crennel-hired-houston-texans-bill-obrien-fires-previous-staff/

Out is Wade Phillips and the old members of the Houston Texans coaching staff, and in comes Romeo Crennel to replace Phillips as the Texans defensive coordinator. A Crennel-to-the-Texans move has been in the cards ever since a rumor surfaced yesterday, and FOX Sports’s Alex Marvez reports, citing a source, that O’Brien has fired the previous staff and has indeed brought on Crennel to be the new Texans defensive coordinator.

This site loses all credability when they say Deenison may be one of the best OCs on the market, and why would bob want an OC when he calls his own plays. HAHA Kubiak called his own plays as well, and Dennison was less than impressive when he actually did call the plays

Playoffs
01-05-2014, 07:13 PM

And having 5 SB rings with 6 SB appearances... and having coached under Ray Perkins and Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick... having been in the league since 1981 and universally liked by his players?

Not a successful HC -- where Trent Dilfer was the best QB he ever had (Charlie Frye, anyone?) -- but pretty good record on staff.

Texan_Bill
01-05-2014, 07:26 PM

Facetious much??!?! ;)

TheIronDuke
01-05-2014, 07:33 PM

Thanks, I said that earlier in this thread. I thought I remembered Phillips doing the same thing.

kiwitexansfan
01-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks, I said that earlier in this thread. I thought I remembered Phillips doing the same thing.

Too lazy to go back and find out who said it, valuable insight.

Texn4life
01-05-2014, 08:36 PM

Do you think its worth it for him to wait and not start putting together his defensive staff or do you think the wheels are already in motion for that too? Evaluation could come without him being the coach.

steelbtexan
01-05-2014, 09:01 PM
BO'B knows who RC wants and is working on getting them as we speak. (Probably)

Texn4life
01-05-2014, 09:24 PM
BO'B knows who RC wants and is working on getting them as we speak. (Probably)

My thinking as well, but I guess there's value in coaching up these kids to see what they have. Most of the players in the game or 3rd-4th round or later prospects, but its important for us to hit on a few of those this year considering none of ours besides Griffin did a single thing this year. ( Technically Chris Jones did but it wasn't for us ). That was a wasted opportunity considering how bad we were.

If he can get insight into some of these players not normally accessible then I guess I'm good with it. Hopefully some of our 2013 picks step up next year too. It looks like a blown draft right now though.

kiwitexansfan
01-05-2014, 09:58 PM
My guess Crennel is on staff in everything but paperwork. Crennel will have his guys and know who is available.

amazing80
01-06-2014, 06:11 AM

Yea, how long ago was it since he coached a super caliber defense? A decade? Now add in the fact he hasn't coached a highly touted defense and one could argue with the way the nfl is now a days, his coaching is out dated and not relevant.

Mr. White
01-06-2014, 09:00 AM

That might be the way that it works now, but it didn't work that way when Wade was hired. Wade got hired on January 5 and the game was on January 22.

Hervoyel
01-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Do you think its worth it for him to wait and not start putting together his defensive staff or do you think the wheels are already in motion for that too? Evaluation could come without him being the coach.

I think that if he's unofficially been offered and accepted the job then he's probably already put out feelers to the guys he wants and they've also unofficially been offered and accepted the jobs as well.

It's just a few weeks. I doubt it gets in the way of anything and what he'll learn coaching those kids will be worth the wait.

steelbtexan
01-06-2014, 09:14 AM
My thinking as well, but I guess there's value in coaching up these kids to see what they have. Most of the players in the game or 3rd-4th round or later prospects, but its important for us to hit on a few of those this year considering none of ours besides Griffin did a single thing this year. ( Technically Chris Jones did but it wasn't for us ). That was a wasted opportunity considering how bad we were.

If he can get insight into some of these players not normally accessible then I guess I'm good with it. Hopefully some of our 2013 picks step up next year too. It looks like a blown draft right now though.

How does Rick still have a job?

It will be huge if Ques and the Williams can step up and be bigtime contributors.

cbs1507
01-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Not sure if anyone said this yet. But I just heard on the radio that Crennel has 2 years left on his contract for $7 mil. But there's language in the contract that says if he get's hired by another team whatever his salary is for those 2 years get's deducted from what KC has to pay him. So that could also be a factor.

paycheck71
01-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Not sure if anyone said this yet. But I just heard on the radio that Crennel has 2 years left on his contract for $7 mil. But there's language in the contract that says if he get's hired by another team whatever his salary is for those 2 years get's deducted from what KC has to pay him. So that could also be a factor.

He had 2 years when he got fired, so technically only one more year, or $3.5MM left. But yeah, that could be a factor.

HOU-TEX
01-06-2014, 11:11 AM
I thought when coaches got fired the organization that fired him has to buyout the remaining contract?

thunderkyss
01-06-2014, 11:16 AM
He's probably going to do the East West Shrine game, then decide if his hearts in it, or if he's ready to retire.

infantrycak
01-06-2014, 11:16 AM
I thought when coaches got fired the organization that fired him has to buyout the remaining contract?

They pay it off as if the contract is in place (which it is) unless their is a buyout term in the contract. After the termination they can work out an agreement to have a buyout if the coach wants to get the money sooner but he can wait to get the whole amount. Some contracts have provisions for for an offset.

TexansFight
01-06-2014, 11:22 AM
This site loses all credability when they say Deenison may be one of the best OCs on the market, and why would bob want an OC when he calls his own plays. HAHA Kubiak called his own plays as well, and Dennison was less than impressive when he actually did call the plays

Agreed. Dennison will be working in a Walmart soon. I think he absolutely sucked as OC. He was completely unprofessionial in refusing to answer the media's questions about the dismissal of Kubiak.

cstyle42
01-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Agreed. Dennison will be working in a Walmart soon. I think he absolutely sucked as OC. He was completely unprofessionial in refusing to answer the media's questions about the dismissal of Kubiak.

Rick Dennison can go be P.E. teacher.

beerlover
01-06-2014, 11:30 AM
He's probably going to do the East West Shrine game, then decide if his hearts in it, or if he's ready to retire.

http://shrinegame.com/Teams/CoachWest

Double Barrel
01-06-2014, 11:31 AM
Romeo Crennel Hired as DC

Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so

:fostering:

jaayteetx
01-06-2014, 12:02 PM
He had 2 years when he got fired, so technically only one more year, or $3.5MM left. But yeah, that could be a factor.

How is that a factor? He gets paid either way, only thing is, does he want back in?

DBCooper
01-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so Please make it so

:fostering:

I know, we need some confirmation!

TheIronDuke
01-06-2014, 12:22 PM
How is that a factor? He gets paid either way, only thing is, does he want back in?

Hell, he can work for free his first year! Thanks for the DC, Chiefs.

cbs1507
01-06-2014, 12:53 PM

Maybe you don't see the ramifications. If he signs with the Texans whatever his salary is from the Texans is deducted from what the Chiefs owe him, so he'd be losing money. That sounds like a major factor to me.

ChampionTexan
01-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Maybe you don't see the ramifications. If he signs with the Texans whatever his salary is from the Texans is deducted from what the Chiefs owe him, so he'd be losing money. That sounds like a major factor to me.

How's he losing money? Effectively working for free, I can see, but not losing money.

TheIronDuke
01-06-2014, 01:01 PM

No, he would be making the same amount of money regardless. The Texans will pay him whatever the Chiefs don't.

jaayteetx
01-06-2014, 01:20 PM
No, he would be making the same amount of money regardless. The Texans will pay him whatever the Chiefs don't.

Ding ding ding!^^^^

cbs1507
01-06-2014, 01:34 PM
How's he losing money? Effectively working for free, I can see, but not losing money.
The point is he is better off financially to not coach because he's guaranteed $3.5 mil to sit on the couch next year. However, if he goes to the Texans whatever he "earns" there will offset any balance owed by the Chiefs. So essentially, yes, he'd be working for free (which is losing money). Maybe a 66 year old that's spent over 30 years in the league might not want to put his time and effort in for no actual gain, when he can make the same amount doing absolutely nothing.

SO he is not making the same amount because you must factor that he has to actually work to make the same thing he could make taking a year long vacation. You do the math.

Marshall
01-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Ding ding ding!^^^^

If the Chiefs deduct his salary with the Texans, then I propose salaries of $1 for 2014 and $5M in 2015 or something to that effect so that the Chiefs don't get bailed out. We simply defer salary to the first year past his old Contract. This is the realm of Contract negotiations and ingenuity is at a premium.

b0ng
01-06-2014, 02:04 PM
SO he is not making the same amount because you must factor that he has to actually work to make the same thing he could make taking a year long vacation. You do the math.

He's already taken a year long vacation from coaching and it's not out of the realm that he may want to coach again. He's already doing the East/West game so it's not as if he's not out there doing his thing as it is.

Texn4life
01-06-2014, 02:05 PM
I don't know what the tax laws are there, but it might benefit him to be employed by a team from Texas considering we don't have state taxes.

TheIronDuke
01-06-2014, 02:44 PM

Maybe he just wants to coach instead of sitting around with his thumb up his butt? It certainly won't hurt his wallet either way if he decides to coach again this year or not. He probably loves the game of football and maybe even enjoys the camaraderie and competition instead of helping Mrs. Crennel hang drapes in the study.

Dutchrudder
01-06-2014, 02:51 PM

Yeah, but it's kind of like people on unemployment benefits. Why bother working at minimum wage for 40 hours a week for $250, when you can sit at home and do whatever you want for $200 a week? The incentive isn't really there unless they make it worth his while. And I have a hard time seeing the Texans paying more than 3.5m a year for a DC. Wade was a special case.

The Texans would need to make it worth his while for him to come back, and I don't think they are ready to do that.

CloakNNNdagger
01-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Jumping off the ship..........some swimming to the Texans?

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 30m
PSU recieved resignations from FB coaches Charles London (RBs) Stan Hioxon(WRs) Anthony Midget (S) S&C coach Craig Fitzgerald per @BobbyFlo7

Texn4life
01-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Yeah, but it's kind of like people on unemployment benefits. Why bother working at minimum wage for 40 hours a week for $250, when you can sit at home and do whatever you want for $200 a week? The incentive isn't really there unless they make it worth his while. And I have a hard time seeing the Texans paying more than 3.5m a year for a DC. Wade was a special case.

The Texans would need to make it worth his while for him to come back, and I don't think they are ready to do that.

If you know any coaches like I do then you'll know they are crazy people. They love the game. I know quite a few on every level and all they do is talk about football. I don't know anyone that knows Romeo, but I'd guess he misses being in that environment.

BullNation4Life
01-06-2014, 02:58 PM

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 30m
PSU recieved resignations from FB coaches Charles London (RBs) Stan Hioxon(WRs) Anthony Midget (S) S&C coach Craig Fitzgerald per @BobbyFlo7

That is Anthony Little Person, He does not like to be called Midget....

:kitten:

HOU-TEX
01-06-2014, 03:05 PM

I read that too. Most of them have NFL coaching experience

That said, I'm beginning to get a little wary of these rumors of all these PSU coaches potentially coming with Bill

TexansFight
01-06-2014, 03:12 PM
I am very excited we have a new S&C coach. The Texans have had WAY too many injuries in my book. It is a great day to be both a Texas Longhorns and Houston Texans fan.

ChampionTexan
01-06-2014, 03:14 PM
The point is he is better off financially to not coach because he's guaranteed $3.5 mil to sit on the couch next year. However, if he goes to the Texans whatever he "earns" there will offset any balance owed by the Chiefs. So essentially, yes, he'd be working for free (which is losing money). Maybe a 66 year old that's spent over 30 years in the league might not want to put his time and effort in for no actual gain, when he can make the same amount doing absolutely nothing.

I kind of doubt many folks view it as being better off financially. Sometimes folks want/need some time off, and Romeo's had that. The fact of the matter is that if he's not ready to retire, and wants to continue his career as an NFL coach, getting a job (albeit an "unpaid" one) right now is probably a better career move than staying on the couch another year, and then seeing what's available in 2015. The better career move is the better financial move (given the previous caveat about not wanting to retire). This is even if you choose to ignore the fact that he'd probably get a minimum of a 3 year contract (O'brien's is supposedly for 5) thereby guaranteeing income for two years more than he's guaranteed if he voluntarily takes another year off. (and FWIW, I don't know if there's NFL rules, or anything else related to the offset that addresses the structuring of coaches contracts, but if not, it could even be written to minimize the impact of the 2014 offset)

paycheck71
01-06-2014, 04:42 PM
A thought from another thread.

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSNReport out of Happy Valley says former PSU DC John Butler will become secondary coach with #Texans.

This HAS to mean that the Crennel hiring is all but a sure thing, right? Would he be hiring defensive position coaches without knowing who his DC is?

Dutchrudder
01-06-2014, 06:01 PM
If you know any coaches like I do then you'll know they are crazy people. They love the game. I know quite a few on every level and all they do is talk about football. I don't know anyone that knows Romeo, but I'd guess he misses being in that environment.

Hey if he wants to do that, I'm all for it. However, I hope he tells Rick and McNair to pay him 1 dollar next year, and then up his salary for the next 2-3 years. Let the KC franchise waste their money on him, and keep McNair happy.

Suppose he would normally get 1.5m a year over 4 years for a total of 6m. I'd give him $1 in 2014, and $1,999,999.33 for the other 3 years. I think that would be pretty awesome if he's game.

thunderkyss
01-06-2014, 06:59 PM

Agreed. If he loves the game, he'll find a place to work this year. I don't know why anyone would think we have some kind of inside track to his services. Maybe he'll go work with an old collegue, say Marvin Lewis, & help that team get over the hump. Maybe he'll find a way onto the 49ers staff & help them win a Super Bowl.

Maybe he needs to coach the East/West Shrine game to figure out if his heart is even in it.

But if he's the kind of guy who wants to sit on his rump & collect a $3M check, instead of "coaching" do we want that kind of guy?

I can understand taking a year off. He's been through a lot. But when 1 year turns to two. Then two turns into three... he's gone. Nothing wrong with that. At least if I were 66 & just collected $7M, I'm going to have to really think about whether I want to be "working" for someone else.

cbs1507
01-06-2014, 09:27 PM
If the Chiefs deduct his salary with the Texans, then I propose salaries of $1 for 2014 and $5M in 2015 or something to that effect so that the Chiefs don't get bailed out. We simply defer salary to the first year past his old Contract. This is the realm of Contract negotiations and ingenuity is at a premium.
Yeah that would be a good thing if we do decide to get him, but with an even lower number than $1m in the first year (if possible).

He's already taken a year long vacation from coaching and it's not out of the realm that he may want to coach again. He's already doing the East/West game so it's not as if he's not out there doing his thing as it is. Yes he has taken a 1 year vacation, and I was was not ruling out that he may want to get back into coaching. So that could defintely be a factor. If so, then we could do something like what Marshall proposed.

Maybe he just wants to coach instead of sitting around with his thumb up his butt? It certainly won't hurt his wallet either way if he decides to coach again this year or not. He probably loves the game of football and maybe even enjoys the camaraderie and competition instead of helping Mrs. Crennel hang drapes in the study.That's always a possibility.

I kind of doubt many folks view it as being better off financially. Sometimes folks want/need some time off, and Romeo's had that. The fact of the matter is that if he's not ready to retire, and wants to continue his career as an NFL coach, getting a job (albeit an "unpaid" one) right now is probably a better career move than staying on the couch another year, and then seeing what's available in 2015. The better career move is the better financial move (given the previous caveat about not wanting to retire). This is even if you choose to ignore the fact that he'd probably get a minimum of a 3 year contract (O'brien's is supposedly for 5) thereby guaranteeing income for two years more than he's guaranteed if he voluntarily takes another year off. (and FWIW, I don't know if there's NFL rules, or anything else related to the offset that addresses the structuring of coaches contracts, but if not, it could even be written to minimize the impact of the 2014 offset) Well maybe. But the again we're taking about a 66 year old man who's coached in the NFL for over 30 years. Maybe it's just that time for him. 65 is when folks start collecting SS income ($3.5m sound like a nice SS check). But then again there's that love of the game stuff. We'll see what happens.

Playoffs
01-07-2014, 02:54 PM
I'm being told "not so fast"... Crennel & OB don't know each other, did not coach together, and Crennel gets paid for sitting on his butt.

-- Adam Caplan/ESPN NFL Insiders

thunderkyss
01-07-2014, 07:35 PM
So we're back to "not going to happen."

Playoffs
01-07-2014, 08:05 PM
So we're back to "not going to happen."

Back to "Crennel's not talking until after the East/West Shrine Game (http://www.shrinegame.com/Teams/CoachWest)."

Texan_Bill
01-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Jumping off the ship..........some swimming to the Texans?James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 30m

Hey Doc, bigoted much? I think folks prefer "Short People"!
:lol:

;)

PHILLYTEXANFAN
01-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Sorry if im late with this.... But, anybody else catch this

DX-TEX
01-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Sorry if im late with this.... But, anybody else catch this

Its Wikipedia.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
01-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Its Wikipedia.

Oh I know, i just wanted to share the laugh I had when i read that. Bad with wording and tone , ha, what can I say?!!!!

MistaRed
01-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Romeo Crennel is in Houston today interviewing for the DC position according to Mark Berman

santo
01-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Romeo Crennel is in Houston today interviewing for the DC position according to Mark Berman

:trophy::trophy::trophy:

Thorn
01-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Crennel would be a good hire, I hope this happens.

Dread-Head
01-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Romeo is a decent head coach and a hell of a defensive coordinator. He's like Capers. As a Head Coach he's crap but as a DC he's got skills.

GoCoogs
01-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Is it a little weird that he already put some of the positional coaches in place on defense before he hired the DC?

I don't know maybe that's normal, just seems a little weird to me.

JB
01-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Is it a little weird that he already put some of the positional coaches in place on defense before he hired the DC?

who has been hired, other than Kollar being retained?

dalemurphy
01-08-2014, 11:01 AM

Bringing in a handful of guys from college does not equate with hiring position coaches on behalf of the unnamed DC... I doubt he promised guys like Butler anything more than a job and a certain amount of money... He could end up coaching ST, being special assitant o O'Brien, etc...

From what I've seen, Kollar is the only coach that was likely promised a specific roll on defense, and I'm sure Crennel approved of that move before it happened.

DX-TEX
01-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Bringing in a handful of guys from college does not equate with hiring position coaches on behalf of the unnamed DC... I doubt he promised guys like Butler anything more than a job and a certain amount of money... He could end up coaching ST, being special assitant o O'Brien, etc...

From what I've seen, Kollar is the only coach that was likely promised a specific roll on defense, and I'm sure Crennel approved of that move before it happened.

Im pretty sure Romeo had input on all these hires beforehand. This was just his first chance to fly down from coaching the Shrine Game

JB
01-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Im pretty sure Romeo had input on all these hires beforehand. This was just his first chance to fly down from coaching the Shrine Game

Still trying to learn what hires? I have seen nothing official except the announcement that Kollar would be retained