PDA

View Full Version : Finally: Romeo Crennel Hired as DC

Pages : 1 [2] 3

paycheck71
01-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Still trying to learn what hires? I have seen nothing official except the announcement that Kollar would be retained

They're assumed hires. A bunch of people that were on O'Brien's staff submitted their resignations to PSU. It's hardly a stretch to assume they'll be hired by the Texans. Some of them are defensive coaches.

JB
01-08-2014, 11:41 AM
They're assumed hires. A bunch of people that were on O'Brien's staff submitted their resignations to PSU. It's hardly a stretch to assume they'll be hired by the Texans. Some of them are defensive coaches.

Thanks, and they probably will but all we have at this point are rumors and assumptions?

They could have left PSU just because they were just as sick of the JoePa supporters crap as BOB was

My point is that sometimes these assumptions take over and become as fact long before anything is really known.

remember that to assume is making an ass of u and me

GoCoogs
01-08-2014, 12:50 PM
I thought he had already hired some defensive coaches from Penn State. I guess the only one was Butler. My bad on the assumption.

CloakNNNdagger
01-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Don;t know if this was posted.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 2d
They were together in NE RT @Gil_Brandt: Have been told Bill O'Brien will hire Brian Ferentz as his OL coach w #Texans.

CloakNNNdagger
01-08-2014, 02:10 PM
McClain:

Home McClain Robertson Smith Voices Stats Fan gear Tickets Sports
Romeo Crennel interviewing this morning for Texans defensive coordinator job
Posted on January 8, 2014 at 10:02 am by John McClain in General
Share this:Email99Print0
Romeo Crennel did not coach during the 2013 season. (Chris Graythen/Getty Images)New Texans coach Bill O’Brien is interviewing Romeo Crennel this morning to become his first defensive coordinator.

Crennel, 66, has been pursued by O’Brien since O’Brien was hired by the Texans last week.

Crennel, who won five Super Bowl titles as an assistant with the Giants and Patriots, didn’t work this season after being fired as Kansas

Double Barrel
01-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Crennel, who won five Super Bowl titles as an assistant with the Giants and Patriots,...

:trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy: = :drool:

ObsiWan
01-08-2014, 05:33 PM
McClain:Home McClain Robertson Smith Voices Stats Fan gear Tickets Sports
Romeo Crennel did not coach during the 2013 season. (Chris Graythen/Getty Images)New Texans coach Bill O’Brien is interviewing Romeo Crennel this morning to become his first defensive coordinator.

Crennel, 66, has been pursued by O’Brien since O’Brien was hired by the Texans last week.

Crennel, who won five Super Bowl titles as an assistant with the Giants and Patriots, didn’t work this season after being fired as Kansas

:d: :kingkong: :d: :kingkong:
dammit Heart!
STOP that!!!

Must.
not.
get.
hopes.
up.
AGAIN!

ChampionTexan
01-08-2014, 06:03 PM
McClain:

Home McClain Robertson Smith Voices Stats Fan gear Tickets Sports

Romeo is undoubtedly a large man, but I'm pretty sure he has never been employed as the state of Kansas.

steelbtexan
01-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks, and they probably will but all we have at this point are rumors and assumptions?

They could have left PSU just because they were just as sick of the JoePa supporters crap as BOB was

My point is that sometimes these assumptions take over and become as fact long before anything is really known.

remember that to assume is making an ass of u and me

MB's would be rather boring without rumors and assumptions.

badboy
01-08-2014, 06:23 PM
MB's would be rather boring without rumors and assumptions.

yep coming to a sports MB and not expect rumors and assumptions is making an ass..oh never mind. :rake:

Thorn
01-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Have we hired him yet?

paycheck71
01-08-2014, 06:48 PM
James Palmer @JPalmerCSN
Romeo Crennel was meeting with the #Texans until at least late in the afternoon Wednesday.

an Rapoport @RapSheet
Source close to Romeo Crennel on his interview with #Texans coach Bill O’Brien today: “No news to report.” So no resolution today. Undecided

Basically, if it's going to be him, we won't hear anything until after the E-W shrine game. If it's not him, they'll be other interviews.

Playoffs
01-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Have we hired him yet?

They're onto the entrees... OB is having the fish, RAC choose the NY Strip. Ample wine and candlelight for the occasion. :heart:

speedfreek
01-08-2014, 06:57 PM
NICE!!

(maybe we can get all of the sports radio guys that are on
quick weightloss center programs to get 'em both a discount..)

They're onto the entrees... OB is having the fish, RAC choose the NY Strip. Ample wine and candlelight for the occasion. :heart:

Bulls on Parade
01-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Basically, if it's going to be him, we won't hear anything until after the E-W shrine game. If it's not him, they'll be other interviews.
Why is the East-West shrine game so demanding that the coaches aren't actively working for an NFL team? Is that to avoid an unfair advantage or conflict of interest? If that's the case then he won't be hired until the day after that game is played.

thunderkyss
01-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Not gonna happen

IDEXAN
01-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Why is the East-West shrine game so demanding that the coaches aren't actively working for an NFL team? Is that to avoid an unfair advantage or conflict of interest? If that's the case then he won't be hired until the day after that game is played.

Good question, because it's strictly a second-tier all-star game now, been that way for years and years though it use to be a big event back in the day. It's no where near the Senior Bowl game they have in Mobil, AL each year.

JB
01-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Good question, because it's strictly a second-tier all-star game now, been that way for years and years though it use to be a big event back in the day. It's no where near the Senior Bowl game they have in Mobil, AL each year.

I think it's because it's the Shriner's game. Totally about the Shriner's and the work they do. No professionals here, only amateurs and good doers. May not have the wording right but it's all about the charity and early coaches were volunteers from the retired ranks.

eriadoc
01-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Ted Johnson was talking abotu Crennel the other night on the radio and basically confirmed our fears about his usage of JJ Watt. I'd like to believe that Crennel would adapt to his players' strengths, but I've seen too many coaches build to their system with little regard for their players' strengths.

Start watching Richard Seymour's Top 100 video here (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d820a96d3/Top-100-Richard-Seymour) at about 1:35.

In our system, our defensive ends are 2-gap players, where you line up head-up on the guy in front of you, and they don't get the opportunity to rush the passer as much. So he had to adapt his game to what we were doing. And to his credit, he was able to do that.

That doesn't sound like a guy who would tailor his defense to his players. Consider me off the Crennel bandwagon, unless otherwise convinced.

We should go get an offensive coordinator who wants AJ to run 5-yard out routes in between being a blocker, too. Jeez.

JCTexan
01-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Ted Johnson was talking abotu Crennel the other night on the radio and basically confirmed our fears about his usage of JJ Watt. I'd like to believe that Crennel would adapt to his players' strengths, but I've seen too many coaches build to their system with little regard for their players' strengths.

Start watching Richard Seymour's Top 100 video here (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d820a96d3/Top-100-Richard-Seymour) at about 1:35.

That doesn't sound like a guy who would tailor his defense to his players. Consider me off the Crennel bandwagon, unless otherwise convinced.

We should go get an offensive coordinator who wants AJ to run 5-yard out routes in between being a blocker, too. Jeez.

Hiring Crennel would be the worst thing possible for the Houston defense. Why on earth would you want the defensive player of the year to limit his game to being just a run stuffer?

htownfan32
01-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Hiring Crennel would be the worst thing possible for the Houston defense. Why on earth would you want the defensive player of the year to limit his game to being just a run stuffer?

There's no way that Crennel doesn't modify his defense to fit around JJ Watt. I think we aren't giving Crennel enough credit in being adaptive. Not all coaches live and die by their system with zero modifications.

steelbtexan
01-08-2014, 10:57 PM

If they win it wont matter. The team should always come 1st.

I'm sure that on 3rd downs Watt will be rushing the passer in any defense. Whether doubled or triple teamed like last yr. This team has so many problems. The last thing fans need to be worrying adout is JJ Watt.

infantrycak
01-08-2014, 11:04 PM

You have to be careful to determine when a Crennel quote was made and the reason why goes against the "doesn't tailor" thought. In Cleveland as DC the base D was 4-3. The year prior to his arrival the Pats were base 3-4 with McGinest at OLB. With Crennel as DC they were base 4-3 for 3 of 4 years. Seymour played 4-3 DE (2 years) and DT (1 year) and 3-4 DE (1 year). He is not slavish to a single system.

Norg
01-09-2014, 01:02 AM
New regime. COMPLETELY NEW REGIME. Sure didn't take BO'B long to make that decision did it?

Not surprised at all.

yeah new regime why is Rick smith still here ................. didn't he help build this disaster 2-14 team

houstonspartan
01-09-2014, 01:14 AM
There's no way that Crennel doesn't modify his defense to fit around JJ Watt. I think we aren't giving Crennel enough credit in being adaptive. Not all coaches live and die by their system with zero modifications.

Agree. All of this panic about what Crennel "may do" is ridiculus. He'll have one of the top defensive players in the NFL, and we don't think he'll work around that players' talents? LOL.

There's a reason why the once coach who survived the Reliant Coaching Massacre just happens to be the coach of JJ Watt.

Think, people.

IDEXAN
01-09-2014, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't be so sure about that ? Crennel's coaching resume is littered with big nose-guards from Ted Washington and Vince Wilfork at New England to Dontari Poe in KC, all of whom he employed as traditional head-up-on-the-center 3-4 nose-tackles which means 2-gappers. That's been a hallmark of the defenses he's had in his regimes, whether as a HC or DC. Actually the gap assignments is really more significant than the choice of alignments between a either a 3-4 or 4-3. OK so here's one pundit who sees JJ as possibly an OLB in a Crennel defense in Houston, though he seems off mark in comparing
that to the one that Wade had for Mario in his brief stint in Wades D.
http://www.stateofthetexans.com/blog/2014/01/08/what-if-how-will-romeo-crennels-defense-look/
".J. Watt (6’5, 290 lbs.)
Watt would make the transition perfectly as a 2-gap defensive end, he can read and react, stack and shed not to mention he has superior pass rush ability. The issue is why would you limit him to just holding up blocks and occupying gaps when he would be far more effective rushing the passer? This is why a potential move of Watt to outside linebacker and have him rush the passer 95% of the time could be looked at. This sounds out of the box, but with Watt it would not be worth paying him $100 million contract just to hold up blocks. Plus, Watt has enough athletic ability to make the transition much like Mario Williams did for Wade Phillips. The other plus to this is that you would put Watt on an island against tight ends and even tackles where double teams are not always possible. If guards try to help double Watt on the outside it could set up huge lanes for the inside linebackers to play downhill through.

leebigeztx
01-09-2014, 08:46 AM
People act like jj is the only defender on the team. Romeo will get jj chances to make plays.

Surreal McCoy
01-09-2014, 08:52 AM
People act like jj is the only defender on the team. Romeo will get jj chances to make plays.

True. Unfortunately we still have the others.

DBCooper
01-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Why in the world is anyone worried about how an excellent DC is going to use one of the best football players in the NFL?

Craig.
01-09-2014, 08:55 AM
Why in the world is anyone worried about how a excellent DC is going to use one of the best football players in the NFL?

Because texanstalk.

Marshall
01-09-2014, 08:57 AM
When is that East-West Shrine Game? I don't care to watch, but I'd like to get it out of the way so we can get away from this wink wink nod nod manure.

Uhg! Nine more days walking around the manure pile.

DBCooper
01-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Because texanstalk.

Lol.

I like that!

michaelm
01-09-2014, 09:00 AM
When is that East-West Shrine Game? I don't care to watch, but I'd like to get it out of the way so we can get away from this wink wink nod nod manure.

Uhg! Nine more days walking around the manure pile.

Saturday Jan 18th.

Double Barrel
01-09-2014, 10:54 AM
I'd imagine that JJ Watt would be one of the primary reasons why an elite defensive coordinator would want to come to the Texans.

JJ, and a big ol' sack of cash, of course.

Errant Hothy
01-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Because texanstalk.

http://static.grscty.com/uploads/monthly_05_2012/post-485542-13687384507156.jpg

paycheck71
01-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Another Crennel connected D coach to be hired.

PDS @PatDStat
#Texans RT @Kevin_Noon: Multiple sources telling us that #Buckeyes coach Mike Vrabel is leaving to take job with Texans

PDS @PatDStat
FWIW Vrabel played under Crennel at NE and KC when he left to be the HC there. Possible connection happening. #Texans

Errant Hothy
01-09-2014, 04:47 PM

Could be the new TE coach?

:sarcasm:

Mr. White
01-09-2014, 05:04 PM

New England south!!! /sarcasm

mussop
01-09-2014, 05:13 PM
New England south!!! /sarcasm

At least New England are still relevant.

paycheck71
01-09-2014, 05:28 PM
LB Coach.

Mike Vrabel @CoachVrabel50
I am thankful for everyone assoc with TOSU for 3 great years and my family and I are excited to join the Houston Texans as the LB coach.

Errant Hothy
01-09-2014, 05:35 PM
LB Coach.

Maybe we can finally get an OLB with more than 1 pass rush move again.

phantom17
01-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Damn! It sucks that the Draft is in May! Can't wait for the season to start!:chili:

DBCooper
01-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Damn! It sucks that the Draft is in May! Can't wait for the season to start!:chili:

I'm excited too, but man I wish we had an extra 3 months to get ready this season with all the coaching and personnel turnover we will see.

Tolar's Ghost
01-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Glad to see the Texans go young and fresh for their new DC.

For a while I was afraid they'd hire someone in his 60s.

thunderkyss
01-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Glad to see the Texans go young and fresh for their new DC.

For a while I was afraid they'd hire someone in his 60s.

We haven't hired a DC yet... have we?

speedfreek
01-10-2014, 07:52 AM
Yes, New England south --without Brady--

Not an experiment I'm that thrilled about trying..

silvrhand
01-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Yes, New England south --without Brady--

Not an experiment I'm that thrilled about trying..

The patriots were relevant before the arrival of Tom Brady.

Double Barrel
01-10-2014, 11:28 AM

Yep. The franchise had already been to two Super Bowls before Brady even arrived.

And yeah, they lost them, but I'd take two Super Bowl losses any day of the week compared to the football history of this city.

Whoever they hire as head coach, he will have a history with other team(s) and critics will label it [insert team here]-south.

bah007
01-10-2014, 12:47 PM
I like the Vrabel hire. His resume speaks for itself, plus the Ohio St fans that I know say that he has done a tremendous job during his time there.

badboy
01-10-2014, 12:53 PM
texans talk? or Texan stalk?

PapaL
01-10-2014, 12:55 PM

Texan stalk is what I always think.

Thorn
01-10-2014, 01:05 PM

It's impolite to talk about another persons stalk.

badboy
01-10-2014, 01:08 PM
It's impolite to talk about another persons stalk.Not even for pointers? Such a bail bonds.

TheMatrix31
01-10-2014, 02:20 PM

Sure, they made two Super Bowls which is obviously more than we can say, but clearly we're trying to replicate the Patriots dominance of 2001-2014, not the Patriots up to the year 2000.

That Patriots dominance we're trying to replicate is synonymous with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Gonna be tough to do it without those guys.

Double Barrel
01-10-2014, 02:26 PM

That depends. Are you at Matt Schaub's house? :spy:

DBCooper
01-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Sure, they made two Super Bowls which is obviously more than we can say, but clearly we're trying to replicate the Patriots dominance of 2001-2014, not the Patriots up to the year 2000.

That Patriots dominance we're trying to replicate is synonymous with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Gonna be tough to do it without those guys.

Probably should just throw in the towel then.

I've got a novel concept, we don't have any coaches and we just let the players play how they feel like it. That should work.

DX-TEX
01-10-2014, 02:55 PM

I've got a novel concept, we don't have any coaches and we just let the players play how they feel like it. That should work.

Worked in Varsity Blues

BullNation4Life
01-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Worked in Varsity Blues

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNWEbZ9wdckrOHi_hSypJZVbOa2qV8N 0dj1zDYwI-nSNjdSx70Qw

Texans new HC/OC...

DBCooper
01-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Worked in Varsity Blues

Lol

Never saw that!

Playoffs
01-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Eric Winston on 610AM earlier asked about RAC as a Head Coach @KC and he said it just wasn't there. Bad fit maybe, team too young for RAC... whatever. No endorsement from Winston -- worried that RAC will 2-gap Watt. Said KC spent a day prepping just for JJ. fwiw

TheMatrix31
01-10-2014, 06:09 PM

Nobody said that.

thunderkyss
01-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Eric Winston on 610AM earlier asked about RAC as a Head Coach @KC and he said it just wasn't there. Bad fit maybe, team too young for RAC... whatever. No endorsement from Winston -- worried that RAC will 2-gap Watt. Said KC spent a day prepping just for JJ. fwiw

I like listening to sports radio because I like to listen to players & ex-players. I enjoy their perspective & the experience they share.

But I can't listen to Eric Winston. He comes across as one of those "I'm smarter than you" types.

Double Barrel
01-10-2014, 06:30 PM
But I can't listen to Eric Winston. He comes across as one of those "I'm smarter than you" types.

Probably because he is smarter than many of us.

He graduated with a degree in international finance and marketing in 3 years with above a 3.5 GPA and was a 2005 All-America selection, while also playing on football scholarship.

And, oh yeah, he's actually played in the NFL for 8 years and under the coaches that we are talking about (Crennel and Kubiak), so he sorta' speaks from actual experience.

But hey, he's not as good looking as us, so we've got that. :fingergun:

Yaky
01-10-2014, 06:33 PM
No endorsement from Winston -- worried that RAC will 2-gap Watt. Said KC spent a day prepping just for JJ. fwiw

Pretty much the same KC team of this year (minus Alex Smith) went 2-14 under Crennel the season before. Not exactly a success story.

Playoffs
01-10-2014, 06:41 PM

He graduated with a degree in international finance and marketing in 3 years with above a 3.5 GPA and was a 2005 All-America selection, while also playing on football scholarship.

And, oh yeah, he's actually played in the NFL for 8 years and under the coaches that we are talking about (Crennel and Kubiak), so he sorta' speaks from actual experience...

Yup. actual experience > conjecture.

powda
01-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Yup. actual experience > conjecture.

I heard this bit as well as one by Ted Johnson earlier in the week. Winston struggled not to say anything to bad about roc. Johnson was the polar opposite raving about him incessantly like a school girl.

houstonspartan
01-10-2014, 07:04 PM

And, oh yeah, he's actually played in the NFL for 8 years and under the coaches that we are talking about (Crennel and Kubiak), so he sorta' speaks from actual experience.

Eric is smart, and knows football, but he's also full of s--t. He's completely obsessed with setting himself up as a media guy after football that that's all he cares about.

Winston is a total and complete media whore.

Anyone who thinks we won't design our defense around JJ is a moron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

houstonspartan
01-10-2014, 07:06 PM
I heard this bit as well as one by Ted Johnson earlier in the week. Winston struggled not to say anything to bad about roc. Johnson was the polar opposite raving about him incessantly like a school girl.

Didn't Johnson play for him when Crennel was an OC? And didn't Winston play for him when he was HC?

There's a difference.

cstyle42
01-10-2014, 07:08 PM

Eric Winston is a hater though. He's the type that would endorse a Blake Bortles...

powda
01-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Didn't Johnson play for him when Crennel was an OC? And didn't Winston play for him when he was HC?

There's a difference.

No doubt. I didn't feel it was necessary to point that out...or that tj played for him on fantastic winning teams, while Winston had a miserable season with him. Their experiences were both on a pro level and completely different. If roc's going to be here as a dc i'll defer to tj (perhaps very naively. )

thunderkyss
01-10-2014, 07:59 PM

He doesn't have to act like it. It's called being a dik.

PapaL
01-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Didn't KC cut Winston and draft his replacement with their 1st pick?

eriadoc
01-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Didn't KC cut Winston and draft his replacement with their 1st pick?

Don't know, but the Texans drafted his replacement with their 7th round pick. Didn't work out too well LOL.

thunderkyss
01-11-2014, 08:19 AM
Don't know, but the Texans drafted his replacement with their 7th round pick. Didn't work out too well LOL.

Prior to his injury, Newton was doing a fine job replacing Winston. We were 11-1 until then.

Playoffs
01-11-2014, 09:33 AM
"When Romeo Crennel and OB got together on Wednesday, it was the first time the two had ever met. An offer was extended... which Crennel plans to accept as soon as today." --Chris Mortensen/ESPN

DBCooper
01-11-2014, 09:36 AM
"When Romeo Crennel and OB got together on Wednesday, it was the first time the two had ever met. An offer was extended... which Crennel plans to accept as soon as today." --Chris Mortensen/ESPN

http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/53534/534/46/picard_make_it_so_number_1_display.jpg

DX-TEX
01-11-2014, 09:53 AM
PDS ‏@PatDStat 10m
RT @flsnupe: #romeocrennel agrees to be DC our your #Texans. Staff starting to come together

PDS and a few others endorse this flsnupe guy

Playoffs
01-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport
Romeo Crennel will stay committed to East-West Shrine coach duties Jan. 18 before accepting Texans DC job...

PDS and a few others endorse this flsnupe guy

Rick Smith's brother.

DX-TEX
01-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Rick Smith's brother.

Really? lol

JB
01-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 13m
R Crennel will stay committed to East-West Shrine coach duties Jan. 18 before accepting Texans DC job. Wed 1st time ever met Bill O'Brien.

Playoffs
01-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Romeo Crennel to be Texans' DC

By Chris Mortensen | ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10278147/romeo-crennel-houston-texans-defensive-coordinator)

After meeting for the first time Wednesday, Romeo Crennel and Bill O'Brien discovered they were a good match.

Crennel is committed to coach the East-West Shrine college all-star game Jan. 18 but when that task is complete, he plans to accept an offer to become O'Brien's defensive coordinator with the Houston Texans, according to league sources.

Crennel has been widely believed to be the favorite to become O'Brien's defensive coordinator because of their ties as former New England Patriots assistants. However, the two men had never worked together and Wednesday's meeting was not only an interview but an introduction.

When their interview was complete, O'Brien extended an offer for the job. However, Crennel asked for more time to fulfill his commitment as the head coach of the West college all-stars in the East-West Shrine game without distraction.

Consequently, the Texans and and Crennel had no comment. Any announcement on their pending partnership would occur after the East-West game, sources said...

ObsiWan
01-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Romeo Crennel to be Texans' DC

By Chris Mortensen | ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10278147/romeo-crennel-houston-texans-defensive-coordinator)

I like this. Puts a whole new dimension on Crennel's involvement with the E/W Shrine game.
:evil:

thunderkyss
01-11-2014, 11:23 AM
So the question becomes how does Romeo Crennel compare to Dom Capers, Vic Fangio, & Wade Phillips.

Dom & Vic are fielding some pretty good defenses right now.

& we can probably take the "Rumor" off this thread title.

VTexan
01-11-2014, 11:23 AM
http://gifti.me/i/n4Buym.gif

silentassassin
01-11-2014, 11:24 AM
I like this. Puts a whole new dimension on Crennel's involvement with the E/W Shrine game.

IIRC, Wade Phillips coached in that game after being fired by the Cowboys/hired by the Texans. That's also how he "found" Shiloh Keo, I believe.

Allstar
01-11-2014, 11:30 AM

Should give us a leg up on snagging the next Shiloh Keo :wadepalm:

EDIT: silentassassin beat me to it

houstonspartan
01-11-2014, 11:36 AM
It should be noted that O'Brien and Crennel never met before this week. That should squash any idea that O'Brien is hiring his "friends."

I have little doubt that Crennel will be held accountable for his results.

thunderkyss
01-11-2014, 11:39 AM
It should be noted that O'Brien and Crennel never met before this week.

That's the primary reason I didn't think we had any "advantage" of obtaining him. Why I didn't think we could land him.

I was wrong. Pretty happy about it too.

Allstar
01-11-2014, 11:39 AM
It should be noted that O'Brien and Crennel never met before this week. That should squash any idea that O'Brien is hiring his "friends."

It's even worse, he's hiring his friends' friend!

DX-TEX
01-11-2014, 11:43 AM
It's even worse, he's hiring his friends' friend!

6 degrees of Bill O'Brien.

Honoring Earl 34
01-11-2014, 11:46 AM
6 degrees of Bill O'Brien.

He's going to hire Kevin Bacon as the TE coach .

ChampionTexan
01-11-2014, 11:47 AM

...sits and waits for the "He's hiring guys he doesn't know anything about (and he's probably going to be carrying around a Denny's menu too!)" complaints to start rolling in...

ArlingtonTexan
01-11-2014, 12:07 PM
So the question becomes how does Romeo Crennel compare to Dom Capers, Vic Fangio, & Wade Phillips.

Mortensen = ESPN is now mongering the rumor versus no longer a rumor.

DX-TEX
01-11-2014, 12:09 PM
He's going to hire Kevin Bacon as the TE coach .

But which Kevin Bacon?

Personally I want deep, southern draw Bacon from JFK

Honoring Earl 34
01-11-2014, 12:15 PM
But which Kevin Bacon?

Oh heck no , I want Ren McCormack from Footloose . That dude was an athlete and could work with the cheerleaders .

ObsiWan
01-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Oh heck no , I want Ren McCormack from Footloose . That dude was an athlete and could work with the cheerleaders .
I thought that job was being done by Texas Bill....
:hmmm:

Honoring Earl 34
01-11-2014, 12:28 PM
I thought that job was being done by Texas Bill....
:hmmm:

Bill can't move like Ren and he'd probably pull a hammy trying .

http://a.espncdn.com/media/nfl/2005/0206/photo/g_crennel_il.jpg

Thorn
01-11-2014, 12:31 PM
I really hope all the rumors are true, because Crennel would be a great hire.

houstonspartan
01-11-2014, 12:54 PM
...sits and waits for the "He's hiring guys he doesn't know anything about (and he's probably going to be carrying around a Denny's menu too!)" complaints to start rolling in...

Lol. Yep. You know it's coming...

b0ng
01-11-2014, 01:38 PM

Capers is not fielding a good defense in GB and will probably get canned soon. Packer fans hate his schemes now.

ChampionTexan
01-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Capers is not fielding a good defense in GB and will probably get canned soon. Packer fans hate his schemes now.

Nothing's written in stone, but if you put any credence whatsoever in McCarthy's comments since the loss to the Niners, I'd say he's probably not being fired soon.

Playoffs
01-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Oh-oh.... what's that in his hand? http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff32/maddrussian/Emoticons/_facepalm_.gif

http://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/romeo-crennel.jpg

bah007
01-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Oh-oh.... what's that in his hand? http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff32/maddrussian/Emoticons/_facepalm_.gif

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120616003317/random-ness/images/9/9f/Darth_vader_no.gif

thunderkyss
01-11-2014, 02:18 PM

Plans for the Starship Enterprise? Cliff notes for The Art of War? His fantasy football roster?

I don't know what it is, but I know it's not a Denny's menu.

b0ng
01-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Nothing's written in stone, but if you put any credence whatsoever in McCarthy's comments since the loss to the Niners, I'd say he's probably not being fired soon.

We will see but the last couple of seasons their pass defense has been miserable (even the 15-1 season) and the last two 9'ers playoff losses aren't going over very well with GB fans.

Going by DVOA their defense was worse than the Cowboys, Texans, and Jaguars (but slightly better than SD). Last year was the same with them finishing up 31st in defensive DVOA. Capers may not be fired but he really should be, that offense with Rodgers and those WR's is dangerous but that defense puts pressure on them to score a lot of points.

Playoffs
01-11-2014, 02:39 PM
I don't know what it is, but I know it's not a Denny's menu.

We utilized processor intensive algorithms to capture and magnify a portion of that... document... in Crennel's hand and came up with this snippet:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lNB7afsld1I/TWVcDgNIzMI/AAAAAAAACcM/C5qXrY12Ezc/s1600/dennys-free-grand-slam.jpg

... just sayin'.

ChampionTexan
01-11-2014, 03:00 PM
We will see but the last couple of seasons their pass defense has been miserable (even the 15-1 season) and the last two 9'ers playoff losses aren't going over very well with GB fans.

Going by DVOA their defense was worse than the Cowboys, Texans, and Jaguars (but slightly better than SD). Last year was the same with them finishing up 31st in defensive DVOA. Capers may not be fired but he really should be, that offense with Rodgers and those WR's is dangerous but that defense puts pressure on them to score a lot of points.

My comment has nothing to do with the quality of his defense, and everything to do with what's been said and done (and not done) since they were knocked out of the playoffs.

Hervoyel
01-11-2014, 04:21 PM
But which Kevin Bacon?

I think based on what we're going to ask him to do the only Kevin Bacon that makes any sense is "Capt. Jack Ross" Kevin Bacon from A Few Good Men.

But we want to avoid "Thank you! May I have another!" Kevin Bacon from Animal House. We just went through that with the last regime.

Playoffs
01-11-2014, 04:27 PM
I think based on what we're going to ask him to do the only Kevin Bacon that makes any sense is "Capt. Jack Ross" Kevin Bacon from A Few Good Men.

But we want to avoid "Thank you! May I have another!" Kevin Bacon from Animal House. We just went through that with the last regime.

As long as it's not the Kevin Bacon from The Woodsman (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361127/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_26) I'm good with it. :kitten:

Honoring Earl 34
01-11-2014, 04:51 PM

What about Kevin Bacon in Tremors ? As a fan I feel like we got the big worm . :strangle:

YeaLikeRightNow
01-11-2014, 05:02 PM
It's official!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10278147/romeo-crennel-houston-texans-defensive-coordinator

Thorn
01-11-2014, 05:12 PM
It's official!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10278147/romeo-crennel-houston-texans-defensive-coordinator

I didn't see anything concrete in that, unless the rumor is now "official" or something. Don't get me wrong, I am going to love it when and if we hear something real.

thunderkyss
01-11-2014, 05:17 PM
I didn't see anything concrete in that, unless the rumor is now "official" or something. Don't get me wrong, I am going to love it when and if we hear something real.

This is way better than the rumor that started this thread. At that time, the two never met each other.

At least now we know they've met, O'Brien extended an offer, Crennel said he'd like to finish the East West Shrine game first. If nothing else, we have reason to be optimistic. Unless someone offers Romeo a HC job between now 7 the Shrine game.

CloakNNNdagger
01-12-2014, 11:24 AM
I could have sworn that there was an article on HT.com that announced that Crennel agreed to the DC job..........but now I can't find it anymore??????:kitten:

EllisUnit
01-12-2014, 11:26 AM
I could have sworn that there was an article on HT.com that announced that Crennel agreed to the DC job..........but now I can't find it anymore??????:kitten:

Prob the media just making a rumor a fact, so they might of taken it down.

paycheck71
01-12-2014, 11:28 AM

These are the only two things I've seen from McClain on this. Didn't see an article earlier, but there is one today.

1d
John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
I expect the Texans to hire Romeo Crennel as DC but nothing's official. I'll be surprised if Mike Munchak isn't the next O line coach.

1h
Texans waiting on Munchak's decision; Crennel expected to join as defensive coordinator:
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/01/texans-waiting-on-munchaks-decision-crennel-expected-to-join-as-defensive-coordinator/

Playoffs
01-12-2014, 11:33 AM
I could have sworn that there was an article on HT.com that announced that Crennel agreed to the DC job..........but now I can't find it anymore??????

Likely did. Probably got un-hidden for a little bit while being staged on the site for publication. Done deal.

paycheck71
01-12-2014, 11:41 AM

These are the only two things I've seen from McClain on this. Didn't see an article earlier, but there is one today.

Fail on my part. For some reason I thought you were talking about the chronicle...

ChampionTexan
01-12-2014, 11:45 AM

1h
Texans waiting on Munchak's decision; Crennel expected to join as defensive coordinator:
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...e-coordinator

I'm thinking that right now Ken Whisenhunt's inability to accept a position may be slowing down several coaching decisions around the NFL. It will be interesting to see if the Lions (and others too I guess) continue to wait on him if the Chargers were to win today. It sounds like Munchak may be towards the top of the Lions list if Whisenhunt for one reason or another doesn't end up being their guy, so I would guess nothing will be totally final with our O-Line coach situation until after Detroit's got a new HC.

cbs1507
01-12-2014, 12:29 PM
A couple days ago the Texans official website report Crennel as hired but has since then taken that article down.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Report-Romeo-Crennel-hired-as-defensive-coordinator/e8801111-de20-403b-aedb-cae7206d471b

ObsiWan
01-12-2014, 06:49 PM

Sheet music.
Romeo is obviously in the studio rehearsing for American Idol.
He's done with all this football foolishness.
:kitten:

DX-TEX
01-12-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm thinking that right now Ken Whisenhunt's inability to accept a position may be slowing down several coaching decisions around the NFL. It will be interesting to see if the Lions (and others too I guess) continue to wait on him if the Chargers were to win today. It sounds like Munchak may be towards the top of the Lions list if Whisenhunt for one reason or another doesn't end up being their guy, so I would guess nothing will be totally final with our O-Line coach situation until after Detroit's got a new HC.

Or this:

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 10h
While Ken Whisenhunt is odds-on favorite to pick his next team as HC, Mike Munchak "surprised" Lions with strong interview. Don't ignore

Steal Your Face
01-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Prior to his injury, Newton was doing a fine job replacing Winston. We were 11-1 until then.

The Texans were doing a fine job of overcoming Newton's shortcomings and were 11-1. But, regardless of record, Derek Newton was not doing a "fine job".

EllisUnit
01-13-2014, 03:39 AM
The Texans were doing a fine job of overcoming Newton's shortcomings and were 11-1. But, regardless of record, Derek Newton was not doing a "fine job".

Newton has to be one of the worst OTs i have seen in the NFL in a while. Once O'Brien sees the game film i am sure he will be looking for him a replacment next season.

Texn4life
01-13-2014, 04:13 AM
Newton has to be one of the worst OTs i have seen in the NFL in a while. Once O'Brien sees the game film i am sure he will be looking for him a replacment next season.

I think Newton comes in to compete for a roster spot. He has ability, but his technique is screwed up right now. Considering that a lot of our O-Lineman haven't developed like they should I wouldn't mind seeing what O'Brien and his staff could do with him. Do I want him starting again though? HELL NO!

BigBull17
01-13-2014, 08:35 AM

Worst since Victor Riley. He is soooo bad. No power plus slow feet equals terrible.

Errant Hothy
01-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Worst since Victor Riley. He is soooo bad. No power plus slow feet equals terrible.

Worse than Seth Wand?

infantrycak
01-13-2014, 09:16 AM
Worse than Seth Wand?

By far.

TheMatrix31
01-13-2014, 01:33 PM
By far. Newton was...just....infuriatingly bad. Not that the team wasn't overall, but he especially.

handswarmer
01-16-2014, 02:48 PM
I heard this used to describe Crennel

"Hiring Romeo will bring a calming influence to the Texans defense"

Calmer than Wade "Pillsbury Doughboy" Phillips?

DBCooper
01-16-2014, 03:09 PM
I heard this used to describe Crennel

"Hiring Romeo will bring a calming influence to the Texans defense"

Calmer than Wade "Pillsbury Doughboy" Phillips?

As long as they crush QB's like Flacco!

Hervoyel
01-17-2014, 08:39 AM
By far. Newton was...just....infuriatingly bad. Not that the team wasn't overall, but he especially.

It's like, on a team as bad as the Texans were this year he managed to stand out as particularly bad. That's saying something right there.

rmartin65
01-17-2014, 08:54 AM
Apparently Crennel has been running some weird practices at the Shrine game.

Playoffs
01-17-2014, 09:03 AM

Hmmm...
If attendees hadn't left by Wednesday's afternoon practice, the stylings of West coach Romeo Crennel probably drove them away—it worked for me. I don't want to belabor the point, as I've spoken about it in each practice column, but you should know exactly what I'm talking about when I complain about his practice routine.

Practice starts at 2:40; coaches mill around and talk to players until 2:50.
Offense warmed up by running a "two-minute drill" at 50 percent speed (let that one sink in), including a practice spike to stop the clock. Standing around people who have covered teams like the Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Denver Broncos and Jacksonville Jaguars, no one had seen a practice spike as part of warmups.
Defensive backs spent at least 15 minutes standing around and listening to Crennel talk to them about what they should do rather than rep what they should do. One agent called it "surreal."
Twenty-five minutes into practice, I took a picture of the notebooks of two people who usually take copious notes. As you can see, there was nothing that had happened worth noting. This was still the case until about 45 minutes in.
During the Wednesday practice, there were three separate sessions of punting. At that time, numerous players not involved with special teams just stood around. It was better than one of the Tuesday sessions, when offensive linemen caught the punts.
Offensive players continually practiced against only offensive players for most of the practice. It's pretty easy to catch a pass when the "defender" is another wide receiver who is giving you a 10-yard cushion.

In a vacuum, each of these things could probably be excused. Yet over and again, "Good luck, Houston" was the refrain from onlookers who couldn't believe that Wade Phillips had gotten fired for the man running these practices.

On a positive note, the inclement weather had cleared up by Wednesday morning, and the fields had dried for the most part. This allowed the East team (run by Jerry Glanville) to have a crisp, efficient practice.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1924393-east-west-shrine-game-2014-scouting-notes-from-this-weeks-practices

thunderkyss
01-17-2014, 09:13 AM
It's like, on a team as bad as the Texans were this year he managed to stand out as particularly bad. That's saying something right there.

It's really hard to say. "We" were looking for Newton to be particularly bad & pretty much over-analysed his play. Brooks got away with a lot of poor play because of it. Wade Smith, I think, was the biggest benefactor. He was, imo, consistently the worst player on our offensive line. In both the run & passing game.

But, if you say, "Wade Smith was the worst player out there."

Somehow that's translated to, "Derek Newton played well today." Which is not the case.

Errant Hothy
01-17-2014, 09:17 AM

Hmmm...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1924393-east-west-shrine-game-2014-scouting-notes-from-this-weeks-practices

None of that makes me feel all that great about Crennel being hired.

MistaRed
01-17-2014, 09:25 AM
What the Hell is Crennel doing?

ArlingtonTexan
01-17-2014, 09:28 AM
None of that makes me feel all that great about Crennel being hired.

Sounds like a lot of give up, but is that because he is 66 with plenty of money or is because he already has a job in his pocket and really does not care about the shrine game.

Errant Hothy
01-17-2014, 09:34 AM
Sounds like a lot of give up, but is that because he is 66 with plenty of money or is because he already has a job in his pocket and really does not care about the shrine game.

That's the question isn't it. One would think that if he was going to get the DC job here he would at least be looking a bit more closely at the defensive guys.

If its "give up" than I want no part of him.

michaelm
01-17-2014, 09:36 AM

That's the question isn't it. One would think that if he was going to get the DC job here he would at least be looking a bit more closely at the defensive guys.

If its give up I want no part of him.

It definitely sounds like something we should be at least a little concerned with, but for now, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and base my opinion on his past performance as a DC and not these reports. For now.

JB
01-17-2014, 09:41 AM
well we already knew Crennel wasn't HC material. Who cares what's written by a hack in the friggin BLEACHER REPORT!

_King_
01-17-2014, 09:43 AM
That romeo crennel stuff does not mean anything to me. It's like gunk in the middle of the street. Completely non relevant.

Allstar
01-17-2014, 09:50 AM
Crennel with the Mr. Miyagi tactics.

Thorn
01-17-2014, 09:55 AM
This is obviously O'Brein's fault. I told you we should have hired Glanville for our new head coach.

handswarmer
01-17-2014, 10:09 AM
As long as they crush QB's like Flacco!

Seriously, he's 5-1 against the Texans....

TEXANRED
01-17-2014, 10:33 AM

and?

JB
01-17-2014, 10:36 AM

and?

And that's not saying alot... :worldpeace:

handswarmer
01-17-2014, 10:40 AM
and?

I answered the man.

What else do you want?

thunderkyss
01-17-2014, 01:07 PM
well we already knew Crennel wasn't HC material. Who cares what's written by a hack in the friggin BLEACHER REPORT!

I'm not going to go so far to say Crennel wasn't HC material. It didn't work out for him in KC... all that proves, is that he wasn't the guy for KC.

I'll agree, that I don't care what the reporter thought. Unless he is some HOF coach, or had any success at any level as a HC.... couldn't care less.

Now, if the West gets embarrassed... we'll know why. If they kick ass.... we'll know why.

Double Barrel
01-17-2014, 01:21 PM

I have a feeling it is the latter.

I doubt that O'Brien is going to let Crennel run practices like that with the Texans defense.

What's kinda' funny to me is that a lot of pro scouts and GMs are at the practices, and with the way Crennel is running them, the pro guys are not getting a lot of information about the players. You've got a coach who will be working for a pro team next week running it, so perhaps a little bit of passive gaming going on? :thinking:

PapaL
01-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Who here is planning on watching that game? Hell is anyone of possible draft value involved in the game?

Texn4life
01-17-2014, 01:42 PM
I think DB summed it up pretty well. With Crennel's track record there isn't any doubt he know's how to run a defense. That's the only thing I care about.

DBCooper
01-17-2014, 01:53 PM

Yes, seriously I want to crush Flacco.

DBCooper
01-17-2014, 01:55 PM
I don't get the flak Crennel is getting about the Shrine game.

He's there to teach College players.

This is not an NFL practice session.

Dutchrudder
01-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Hmmm...

All of that sounds similar to criticisms I heard of Leslie Frazier as the Vikings head coach. His practices were reportedly awful, and a complete waste of time. No direction, few drills and soft practices can lead to a very soft team. That report is disconcerting, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he runs his defenses that way.

Crennel has been average at best since leaving New England, and he has been riding that NE early 2000's success in order to stay employed. Yeah he had a decent year here and there, but his post-NE career as a DC/HC has been pretty middling. The inability to make use of practice time would be a good indicator of why he has never coached a top 10 defense since leaving NE. If that report is accurate, then I think we will be looking for a new DC in about 2 years.

Marshall
01-17-2014, 02:04 PM

The biggest rule in an All Star game is to not get hurt, particularly in practice.

HOU-TEX
01-17-2014, 02:13 PM
The biggest rule in an All Star game is to not get hurt, particularly in practice.

In the pros, sure, but if you think these kids play this game not to get hurt I have a bridge to sell you.

The playbooks are about as vanilla as you can get, but the players play 100%. The practices are usually intense too. Primarily oline and dline drills.

ArlingtonTexan
01-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Who here is planning on watching that game? Hell is anyone of possible draft value involved in the game?

Most of the guys there will either be. drafted or signed as a priority udfa. Not many 1st or 2nd rounders usually but plenty through the rest of. Draft

Errant Hothy
01-17-2014, 02:30 PM

From the reports it doesn't sound like he is teaching them much of anything, or at all. Also this would be a great opportunity to find guys who fit his system in both size, temperament and knowledge. An opportunity that he seems to be wasting in spectacular fashion. Finally a bunch of the players at these games are hoping to use them as an opportunity to show they are capable of playing/practicing at an NFL level and if the reports are correct Crennel isn't giving them much of a chance to do so.

If I was a player of agent of a player I would not be happy with Crennel.

Playoffs
01-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Who here is planning on watching that game? Hell is anyone of possible draft value involved in the game?100 players from 2013 EWSG were drafted or signed last year. Zac Stacy, Terron Armstead, Sio Moore, Shamarko Thomas some recognizable names.

Agents want their kids in pads smashing mouths building names for themselves -- more of that "wow" chatter comes from the practices/drills than the games. Media wants the same so they have something to write about before leaving. Players want to experience NFL like practices to learn what will be expected of them.

First practice no pads for RAC's team. Practices are late in the day, which pisses off the writers. Then it sounds like there's a lot of standing around going on. RAC may have a different idea of how to prepare these kids.

DBCooper
01-17-2014, 02:45 PM
From the reports it doesn't sound like he is teaching them much of anything, or at all. Also this would be a great opportunity to find guys who fit his system in both size, temperament and knowledge. An opportunity that he seems to be wasting in spectacular fashion. Finally a bunch of the players at these games are hoping to use them as an opportunity to show they are capable of playing/practicing at an NFL level and if the reports are correct Crennel isn't giving them much of a chance to do so.

If I was a player of agent of a player I would not be happy with Crennel.

Yeah, if I was a college player I'd be pissed too.

I'm not worried about how he practices at a college all star game being any kind of indication of what kind of DC he will be.

DBCooper
01-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Ok, the game is over, do we have our DC yet?

Texn4life
01-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Ok, the game is over, do we have our DC yet?

Didn't you hear? He lost the game so I think we've moved on...... No time for washed up losers!

DBCooper
01-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Didn't you hear? He lost the game so I think we've moved on...... No time for washed up losers!

Yep, those crappy practice habits will bite you.

ChampionTexan
01-19-2014, 01:55 PM

So does this mean we get Glanville?:kitten:

JB
01-19-2014, 01:59 PM

:thinking:

:slapfight:

:tiphat:

Insideop
01-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Hmmm...

I know it's only bleacherreport.com but this is not a good sign.

Texn4life
01-19-2014, 02:07 PM

Might wanna check out the past few pages..... probably will provide insight into why there's so much joking going on.

EllisUnit
01-19-2014, 02:20 PM
I do like Timothy Flanders though, i hope we can pick him up in the later rounds as he is a very good RB.

deucetx
01-19-2014, 02:34 PM

Alright guys, let's chill on the exaggerations. For one, that is a college "all-star" game. He isn't teaching them anything in the week or two that will override all that they have practiced and done all year long. Just isn't happening.

NFL practices are much different and he obviously wouldn't conduct them the same way. For one, coaches gather together to outline their practices and of course the final word on how it is organized falls upon O'Brien. You are trying to read way too much into a college practice. For the kids, yeah, they can be upset or disappointed since there were scouts and such watching the practices so they could show out but for Crennel it means little to nothing.

Marshall
01-19-2014, 02:35 PM

I wouldn't mind. I liked his tenure with the Oilers.

Grams
01-19-2014, 03:01 PM

Hope you are kidding - Glanville was only "just camping out" last time he was in Houston.

DBCooper
01-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Hope you are kidding - Glanville was only "just camping out" last time he was in Houston.

Yeah, but Elvis always had a seat!

Playoffs
01-19-2014, 03:08 PM
Was it Chuck Noll who called him Gary instead of Jerry?

Marshall
01-19-2014, 03:09 PM

Is there any coach outside of NE that you approve of?

DBCooper
01-19-2014, 03:12 PM

What does that have anything to do with Glanville?

He was an entertaining personality, but his brand of football was boring and predictable.

ChampionTexan
01-19-2014, 03:43 PM

Yep, every NFL team aspires to having a DC who's last job was coaching Portland State to a 9-24 record.

I want Glanville nowhere near the Texans coaching staff.

CloakNNNdagger
01-19-2014, 07:23 PM
Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL 9h
Since '93 Romeo Crennel has been HC, DC, or DL coach for 19 squads. Not a single DE has had double digit sacks.:kitten:

aussie_texan
01-19-2014, 07:28 PM

Watt to OLB?

JB
01-19-2014, 07:47 PM

he never had a Watt before :swatter:

Playoffs
01-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Since '93 Romeo Crennel has been HC, DC, or DL coach for 19 squads. Not a single DE has had double digit sacks.:kitten:

Who's going to be the one who has to tell JJ he "can't" or "won't" anymore? :backsout:

Yeah, good luck with that. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif

Grams
01-19-2014, 10:30 PM

You must have me confused with someone else.

eriadoc
01-19-2014, 11:13 PM
he never had a Watt before :swatter:

Seymour is not a bad comparison, as far as utilization goes.

htowntexans1985
01-20-2014, 07:32 AM
Jason La Canfora
@ JasonLaCanfora

Romeo Crennel has agreed to a 3yr deal
as the Texans new defensive coordinator

Marshall
01-20-2014, 08:08 AM
Jason La Canfora
@ JasonLaCanfora

Romeo Crennel has agreed to a 3yr deal
as the Texans new defensive coordinator

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!

http://www.hark.com/clips/dxmklndrvh-surprise-surprise-surprise-gomer-pyle-u-dot-s-m-dot-c

ArlingtonTexan
01-20-2014, 08:21 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/20/romeo-crennel-finalizes-three-year-deal-with-texans/

IDEXAN
01-20-2014, 08:23 AM
I hope he took the job subject to the understanding that he could form
a great defense spearheaded by JJ & Jadeveon ?

JCTexan
01-20-2014, 10:33 AM
I hope he took the job subject to the understanding that he could form
a great defense spearheaded by JJ & Jadeveon ?

I hope you realize that Crennel coaches a 3-4 defense and after 20 years coaching not a single DE has had double digit sacks for him. I don't think Clowney is an option with this hire.

The Pencil Neck
01-20-2014, 10:35 AM
I hope you realize that Crennel coaches a 3-4 defense and after 20 years coaching not a single DE has had double digit sacks for him. I don't think Clowney is an option with this hire.

Crennel NORMALLY coaches the 3-4.

But he's also coached the 4-3.

I expect him to adapt to the players he's got.

MistaRed
01-20-2014, 10:35 AM

Why wouldn't the best defensive prospect in the draft be an option?

JB
01-20-2014, 10:40 AM

Some think that Crennel can only coach a 2 gap 3-4 and uses DE to tie up blockers only.

JCTexan
01-20-2014, 10:44 AM

This team played in a 3-4 last year. The only difference will be the type of scheme they utilize. I don't see them drafting a guy first overall that will make the DC switch schemes. More likely, they will draft an OLB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Because Clowney doesn't fit into the 3-4 scheme Crennel usually runs.

Some think that Crennel can only coach a 2 gap 3-4 and uses DE to tie up blockers only.

Well, I simply don't think they will draft a guy 1.1 that doesn't fit into the defensive scheme of the DC. If the Texans wanted to run a 4-3 I think they would have hired a different coach for their defense.

IDEXAN
01-20-2014, 10:50 AM

Crennel had better go with a 4-3, one-gap alingment even if we don't draft Clowney, because if he wastes JJ on the a 3-4, two-gap scheme he needs to be canned. JJ is far too valuable as a pass-rusher to be wasted as a DLine guy who's biggest task is to tie-up offensive lineman to effectively run interference for LBs. I would certainly think Crennel knows the value of a talent like JJ.

Jackie Chiles
01-20-2014, 11:00 AM
This team played in a 3-4 last year. The only difference will be the type of scheme they utilize. I don't see them drafting a guy first overall that will make the DC switch schemes. More likely, they will draft an OLB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Because Clowney doesn't fit into the 3-4 scheme Crennel usually runs.

Well, I simply don't think they will draft a guy 1.1 that doesn't fit into the defensive scheme of the DC. If the Texans wanted to run a 4-3 I think they would have hired a different coach for their defense.

Aldon Smith has thrived in a similar 2-gap SF defense as an OLB and Clowney is similarly built. I don't think a defense exists that Clowney wouldn't thrive in.

JCTexan
01-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Aldon Smith has thrived in a similar 2-gap SF defense as an OLB and Clowney is similarly built. I don't think a defense exists that Clowney wouldn't thrive in.

I'm not sure I could get behind drafting a guy 1.1 to make him change positions (4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB). If they draft Clowney I hope they utilize a 4-3 defense, I just don't think they will draft him considering Crennel prefers the 3-4.

The Pencil Neck
01-20-2014, 11:16 AM

We actually played more of a 5-2 hybrid and when we went to nickel, we usually shifted to 4-3. The main issue is whether our DL was being asked to shoot the gaps or play 2 gaps and our D was about shooting gaps. Most of Crennel's DLs have been 2 gap, read and react types of defenses.

BUT.

Crennel has coached both 4-3 and 3-4 defenses although he tends toward 3-4. I don't expect us to go Clowney but if we do, it's because Crennel thinks he can put something together that gets the best out of both JJ and Clowney.

JCTexan
01-20-2014, 11:26 AM
We actually played more of a 5-2 hybrid and when we went to nickel, we usually shifted to 4-3. The main issue is whether our DL was being asked to shoot the gaps or play 2 gaps and our D was about shooting gaps. Most of Crennel's DLs have been 2 gap, read and react types of defenses.

BUT.

Crennel has coached both 4-3 and 3-4 defenses although he tends toward 3-4. I don't expect us to go Clowney but if we do, it's because Crennel thinks he can put something together that gets the best out of both JJ and Clowney.

I agree and I think it would be the best thing for the defense. Watt & Clowney would cause havoc for opposing QB's. I don't see it happening though.

Insideop
01-20-2014, 01:08 PM
I'd be surprised if O'Brien goes for anything other than a QB with the 1st pick. I know there's no Luck in this draft, but TB, JFF, or BB have the potential to develop into a franchise QB like Rodgers or Brees. And, I think O'Brien can't wait to get his hands on one of them to develop.

What I think Crennel will be looking for in the draft is a big NT, a DE to replace Antonio, and an OLB to move Reed inside. I just hope he doesn't try to change Watt and waste his talents. They need to extend Watt this year so he doesn't go in to FA next year. If he feels Crennel isn't going to use him the right way, he's gone!

infantrycak
01-20-2014, 01:12 PM
They need to extend Watt this year so he doesn't go in to FA next year.

JJ is not sniffing FA for years. His rookie contract goes through 2014. 2015 is an optional 5th year under the CBA. After that he can be tagged twice before it gets insanely expensive. That is four more seasons where the Texans have all the leverage.

Section516
01-20-2014, 02:24 PM
JJ is not sniffing FA for years. His rookie contract goes through 2014. 2015 is an optional 5th year under the CBA. After that he can be tagged twice before it gets insanely expensive. That is four more seasons where the Texans have all the leverage.

It is highly unlikely that the player would hold out through all that versus taking long term contract, since JJ should have enough time for 2-3 more contracts, which would yield greater monetary value...JJ should be here to stay.

Double Barrel
01-20-2014, 02:28 PM
Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL 9h
Since '93 Romeo Crennel has been HC, DC, or DL coach for 19 squads. Not a single DE has had double digit sacks.

No double digit sacks, but some of them have championship rings. :truck:

Playoffs
01-20-2014, 02:37 PM
No double digit sacks, but some of them have championship rings. :truck:

Team

me

ArlingtonTexan
01-20-2014, 02:52 PM

BUT.

O'brein fas said that he expects to play in nickle 70 percent of the time. This means Clowney would be playing pass rusher all of that time.

mridge01
01-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Am I the only one not all that moved by this hire?

Playoffs
01-20-2014, 04:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/uVDhkoS.jpg

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Here are 10 facts about #Texans new defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel: http://bit.ly/1igY0yq
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Catch my one on one interview with Romeo Crennell, the #Texans new defensive coordinator, from the #SeniorBowl on @CSNHouston at 6 pm ct.

"You never know how quickly you can turn a team around." - Romeo Crennel on turning #Texans around after one bad season.

"Well JJ Watt, if we had 10 more like him we'd be pretty good." - Romeo Crennel new #Texans defensive coordinator

Crennel said after sitting down with Bill O'Brien he saw a FB coach & a normal guy. Said BOB has brought some good people with him. #Texans

"I enjoy football and getting back in it and playing the way Bill (O'Brien) wants 2 play will be a good fit for me."Romeo Crennel #Texans DC

Romeo Crennel said he liked the #Texans because "it felt like a good fit". RC added he already knew a lot of people in the organization too.

Dutchrudder
01-20-2014, 04:03 PM
Hey if he wants to do that, I'm all for it. However, I hope he tells Rick and McNair to pay him 1 dollar next year, and then up his salary for the next 2-3 years. Let the KC franchise waste their money on him, and keep McNair happy.

Suppose he would normally get 1.5m a year over 4 years for a total of 6m. I'd give him $1 in 2014, and $1,999,999.33 for the other 3 years. I think that would be pretty awesome if he's game.

Well, look at that... :D

The Houston Texans agreed to terms Monday on a three-year deal with Romeo Crennel to take over as defensive coordinator.

Crennel was widely believed to be the favorite to become Bill O'Brien's defensive coordinator because of their ties as former New England Patriots assistants, even though the two men had never worked together.

With his $3.5 million salary this season from the final year of his contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, Crennel will earn more than $7 million over the three seasons, according to a league source, including $1.8 million from the Texans in both 2015 and 2016.

Last week, the Texans hired former Patriots linebacker Mike Vrabel to be their linebackers coach.

Vrabel played under Crennel but also was Ohio State's defensive line coach. O'Brien was impressed with what he saw from the Buckeyes' linebackers when he served as the Penn State coach for two seasons in the Big Ten, sources said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10321864/romeo-crennel-agrees-3-year-deal-houston-texans-defensive-coordinator

Looks like Crennel's salary will go like this:
2014: $0
2015: 1.8m
2016: 1.8m

Total 3.6m over 3 years at 1.2 APY. That's very reasonable for a guy with his resume.

infantrycak
01-20-2014, 04:24 PM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10321864/romeo-crennel-agrees-3-year-deal-houston-texans-defensive-coordinator

Looks like Crennel's salary will go like this:
2014: $0
2015: 1.8m
2016: 1.8m

Total 3.6m over 3 years at 1.2 APY. That's very reasonable for a guy with his resume.

IIRC the Texans did something like that with Sherman.

ChampionTexan
01-20-2014, 04:25 PM

Well, shucks, I was hoping you'd quote the post two before the one you quoted...:D

...This is even if you choose to ignore the fact that he'd probably get a minimum of a 3 year contract (O'brien's is supposedly for 5) thereby guaranteeing income for two years more than he's guaranteed if he voluntarily takes another year off. (and FWIW, I don't know if there's NFL rules, or anything else related to the offset that addresses the structuring of coaches contracts, but if not, it could even be written to minimize the impact of the 2014 offset)

MistaRed
01-20-2014, 06:24 PM

I can understand your reservations. I'm just gonna take the wait and see approach. Solid hire because of his credentials.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
01-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Romeo turned Hali into a OLB. He was 3 rd best DE in 06. Most scouts wrote him off as an OLB, than he met Romeo and the lightbulb went on

Your man... Pots and pans

CloakNNNdagger
01-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Ted Johnson was just interviewed........he stated that at the Patriots, he played under Crennel for 7 years. He stated something that got my juices going...............Crennel builds his D with LARGE LBs and DLs..........especially fat boy in the middle, ala Ted Washington!:)

Norg
01-20-2014, 06:31 PM
gee if yall like ol school Deee just like wade had then well get rdy

to get torched BY Elite ... uhh I mean by QB's Weekly I mean we got blown out by MC lovin and who else chad henne ad rookie QB's

CloakNNNdagger
01-20-2014, 06:35 PM
gee if yall like ol school Deee just like wade had then well get rdy

to get torched BY Elite ... uhh I mean by QB's Weekly I mean we got blown out by MC lovin and who else chad henne ad rookie QB's

????????? Crennel, very unlike Wade, will not have the same look.............on every play.......against every team.......against every QB.:bat:

kiwitexansfan
01-20-2014, 06:40 PM
Will wait and see on the hire.

My gut instinct isn't so hopeful. My fear is that his best years are behind him and that he will stick to what worked, instead of seeing what will work.

Marshall
01-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Does indifferent count?

ChampionTexan
01-20-2014, 06:44 PM
So with the Pats out of the playoffs, does this mean we should expect to hear something about George Godsey as our other coordinator soon?

Number19
01-20-2014, 07:19 PM
In a description of Crennel's 2-gap 34, the OLB's are described as "...passrushers on the edge, one who is a more one-dimensional pocket assaulter and the other who is a swiss army knife of abilities..."

Aldon Smith is 6'-4"/265 lbs & Tamba Hali is 6'-3"/275.

Now, J.J. Watt is a bit larger at 289 lbs and 6'-5", but rather than putting him at DE, why wouldn't he be a better fit as the "one-dimensional pocket assaulter"?

PHILLYTEXANFAN
01-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Think Clowney would be perfect for that role

CloakNNNdagger
01-21-2014, 08:23 AM
John P. Lopez ‏@LopezOnSports 2m
Sources tell me former Texans DB coach Vance Joseph will be named co-defensive coordinator with Paul Guenther of the Cincinnati Bengals.

A triumvirate at DC..........

mussop
01-21-2014, 08:53 AM
In a description of Crennel's 2-gap 34, the OLB's are described as "...passrushers on the edge, one who is a more one-dimensional pocket assaulter and the other who is a swiss army knife of abilities..."

Aldon Smith is 6'-4"/265 lbs & Tamba Hali is 6'-3"/275.

Now, J.J. Watt is a bit larger at 289 lbs and 6'-5", but rather than putting him at DE, why wouldn't he be a better fit as the "one-dimensional pocket assaulter"?

How about Clowney as that guy lined up next to Watt ?

mussop
01-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Ted Johnson was just interviewed........he stated that at the Patriots, he played under Crennel for 7 years. He stated something that got my juices going...............Crennel builds his D with LARGE LBs and DLs..........especially fat boy in the middle, ala Ted Washington!:)

If thats the case, (god I hope it is) we have a lot of work to do his offseason.

_King_
01-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Crennel says he's not building his defense around jj. Says it will not be about an individual but rather the team. Whatever makes the team more successful.

I like that. Plus I think watt will still get his.

One thing I've noticed is that the guys that I've seen comment so far from the staff have been about the team. The previous staff would gush about individual players. I haven't gotten that vibe from these guys.

kiwitexansfan
01-21-2014, 11:25 AM
crennel says he's not building his defense around jj. Says it will not be about an individual but rather the team. Whatever makes the team more successful.

I like that. Plus i think watt will still get his.

One thing i've noticed is that the guys that i've seen comment so far from the staff have been about the team. The previous staff would gush about individual players. I haven't gotten that vibe from these guys.

link?

dalemurphy
01-21-2014, 11:58 AM
It is hard to understand why fans are sometimes so protective of player self interests. The coaches want to win. Crennel/Obrien are not coming to the Texans simply to diminish JJ Watt's statistical impact. Of course the new staff will not maximize the play making ability of Watt. Any system, at the NFL level, built around one player is destined to be defeated.

The basic principal of the 2gap system is that it creates offensive uncertainty and opportunity for anyone of the back 8 players to become a difference-maker on a given play. What Wade's system lacked was disguise. Every year Crennel has a defensive coordinator his defensive rank in the red zone and turnovers were significantly higher than yards allowed. People attribute this to a "bend but don't break" philosophy. I think that is errant. His system can be very aggressive. However, it simply doesn't offer the offense high reward opportunities that can be recognized by the quarterback or predictably attacked by the play caller... An offensive coordinator could know with virtual certainty that he can isolate any CB or non-blitzing LB in man coverage on 3rd down. Crennel's defense does not offer that. Vic Fangio runs a very similar system in SF... watch them and note how many different coverages and blitzes are run in a game.

Good offenses can scheme against one player, particularly if they know the team's philosophy is built around giving that player opportunities to make as many plays as possible. By the way, Watt's skill set is such that he will be an incredible asset for Crennel's defense... If he plays DE, he will be excellent taking on blockers and pushing the pocket and playing the run at the LOS... He will also be amazing dropping into zones on zone blitzes... Similarly, despite his size, he can/may be used as the strong side OLB... Primarily rushing the passer but also very capable of dropping into the flat and other zones.... I actually think he'll be asked to drop 10 lbs and play the Willie McGinest position on defense.

Still, who cares! One of the reasons why talented players like JJoseph and KJackson haven't been consistent play makers is because they weren't put in position to make plays... They were asked to chase WRs in man coverage long enough for Watt to make a play... That's why our interceptions are so low... If KJ and JJo are put in position to jump routes, blitz, etc... you will see a lot more plays from them and see them give up much less... Any system is going to minimize some players' opportunities and highlight others. After this year's fiasco, I'm excited to see other players on the defense make plays and help the team win.

Playoffs
01-21-2014, 12:02 PM
link?

Video: http://www.csnhouston.com/texans/going-1-1-new-texans-dc-crennel

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Crennel hopes to tailor #Texans' defensive scheme to team's personnel. #NFL

Romeo Crennel said #Texans will run a "multiple defense," adding that "you're going to see a little bit of everything." #NFL

#Texans' Crennel will soon begin roster evaluation. Defering to O'Brien -- who's already worked his way through game film -- right now.

Crennel acknowledged the opportunity to coach #Texans' Watt, Cushing is very exciting. Thinks team was more talented than 2-14. #NFL

#Texans' Crennel said he's still at the first stage of his new job and has yet to evaluate the team's roster in detail. #NFL

Asked about 3-4 vs. 4-3, #Texans DC Romeo Crennel said team will use multiple defensive schemes next season. #NFL

aussie_texan
01-21-2014, 06:20 PM
is there going to be a Press conference for RAC?

ArlingtonTexan
01-21-2014, 07:00 PM
MOBILE, Ala. — New Houston Texans coordinator Romeo Crennel has yet to break down his new team's defensive personnel, so he's not prepared to say what his grand plans are with this unit. But Crennel did say, when asked whether the Texans would run a 3-4 defense (as they have the past several seasons) or a 4-3 front (as they are rumored to be switching to), Crennel, in essence, answered yes to both.

“We're going to run a multiple defense,” Crennel told a small group of media Tuesday after the North team practice at the Senior Bowl. "You’re going to see a little of everything."

The reason to offer multiple fronts?

“Part [of it is] personnel,” Crennel said. “Knowing who you got and what their strengths and weaknesses are will go a long way to determining how much we run of whatever we run.”

New Texans head coach Bill O'Brien already has watched every snap of every game this past season, and Crennel said he plans to do the same with his new squad following the Senior Bowl this week. But the chance to work with J.J. Watt, Brian Cushing and others does have him eager to get to work.

"That is exciting," Crennel said. "J.J. makes plays."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/texans-defensive-coordinator-romeo-crennel-plans-multiple-front-231200317--nfl.html

mussop
01-21-2014, 09:21 PM
MOBILE, Ala. — New Houston Texans coordinator Romeo Crennel has yet to break down his new team's defensive personnel, so he's not prepared to say what his grand plans are with this unit. But Crennel did say, when asked whether the Texans would run a 3-4 defense (as they have the past several seasons) or a 4-3 front (as they are rumored to be switching to), Crennel, in essence, answered yes to both.

“We're going to run a multiple defense,” Crennel told a small group of media Tuesday after the North team practice at the Senior Bowl. "You’re going to see a little of everything."

The reason to offer multiple fronts?

“Part [of it is] personnel,” Crennel said. “Knowing who you got and what their strengths and weaknesses are will go a long way to determining how much we run of whatever we run.”

New Texans head coach Bill O'Brien already has watched every snap of every game this past season, and Crennel said he plans to do the same with his new squad following the Senior Bowl this week. But the chance to work with J.J. Watt, Brian Cushing and others does have him eager to get to work.

"That is exciting," Crennel said. "J.J. makes plays."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/texans-defensive-coordinator-romeo-crennel-plans-multiple-front-231200317--nfl.html

But Crennel did say, when asked whether the Texans would run a 3-4 defense (as they have the past several seasons) or a 4-3 front (as they are rumored to be switching to),

What is that all about? Where did this rumor come from? Has anyone heard that we will be switching to a 4/3?

bah007
01-21-2014, 09:30 PM
I'm actually in favor of being more multiple on defense. It's one thing that Seattle does so well, even though they are mostly known for their secondary play. The ability to give 34, 43, or 52 looks without changing the personnel on the field is valuable, as you can give the offense so many looks that they can't completely prepare for each one, and instead must spend time preparing for all of them.

It's pretty much the same philosophy that O'Brien has on offense. The more multiple you can be, the more you can take advantage of each opponent's specific weaknesses.

ArlingtonTexan
01-21-2014, 09:38 PM
But Crennel did say, when asked whether the Texans would run a 3-4 defense (as they have the past several seasons) or a 4-3 front (as they are rumored to be switching to),

What is that all about? Where did this rumor come from? Has anyone heard that we will be switching to a 4/3?

I had not heard the rumor myself, but between O'Brien's earlier hints and Romeo's direct statement of being multiple, we have the best answer that we are going to get until we start to see them play.

ArlingtonTexan
01-21-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm actually in favor of being more multiple on defense. It's one thing that Seattle does so well, even though they are mostly known for their secondary play. The ability to give 34, 43, or 52 looks without changing the personnel on the field is valuable, as you can give the offense so many looks that they can't completely prepare for each one, and instead must spend time preparing for all of them.

It's pretty much the same philosophy that O'Brien has on offense. The more multiple you can be, the more you can take advantage of each opponent's specific weaknesses.

I suspect that we there will be plenty of personnel movement on both sides of the ball in games. I believe that there will be a ton of packages versus the same 11 giving looks w/o substituting. I think that there will a better use of the entire 46 game day roster than we used to here.

leebigeztx
01-22-2014, 05:26 AM
The one thing I really remember about RAC defenses is versitility. The pats defense had common traits that went back in time. All of the lbs,except ted were college de's. Mcginist,bruschi,vrabel,and even when the got colvin from the bears. That's because those guys when they blitzed,even from ilb spots knew how to beat blockers. The double a gap blitz by wade used to do very little damage because other than cushing,they didn't know how to beat blockers even on a blitz.

Another common trait is dl flexibility. Pats were a 4-3 unit at first,but after they got wilfolk,they were primarily 3-4. Through injury and team scheme,they would do 4-3 also. Against a qb with wheels,you might be more 3-4 by hav ing more athletes on the field,but vs pocket passers, it might be more 4-3.

In the secondary,again versitlity. If possible,crennel will play a lot of cover 3,cover 4. He will also invert the safety and corners to allow the safety get the better jam and turn him lose on the cb. He will play some man,but he is really good inside the rz. His redzone coverage is pretty basic which allows guys to play fast.

deucetx
01-22-2014, 08:04 AM

All I have seen is he said the defense will be based in the 3-4 but multiple. Also stated he has worked with small DT and big so that is yet to be determined. But unlike others I don't put too much thought on that. You're almost in nickle and dime more than base.

Asked what kind of defense he would run, Crennel said the Texans would be based out of the 3-4, but be a multiple defense. "We expect our guys to be flexible and be able to do more than one thing," Crennel said. Zierlein also asked Crennel for his preferences on nose tackles. Crennel said he's played with small ones and big ones and what he did this time around was to be determined.

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/3663/rtc-more-talk-of-texans-coordinators

Tailgate
01-22-2014, 08:09 AM
Not sure why anyone is trying to get something out of his comments. From listening to him it seems he is in MAJOR coach speak mode righ now. To me, it seemed like he barely even knew all the defensive players names (other than the obvious ones) at this point and was just answering every answer w tons of BS and leaving all options open because he himself has no clue yet.

Playoffs
01-22-2014, 10:42 AM
LZ Visits With Texans DC Romeo Crennel (http://www.sports790.com/pages/propergentlemen.html?article=11989188)

Tailgate
01-23-2014, 07:43 AM
LZ Visits With Texans DC Romeo Crennel (http://www.sports790.com/pages/propergentlemen.html?article=11989188)

Yeah, his interviews have been less than inspiring thus far. I hope he is just some mad defensive scientist, but he sounds more like a really nice but bad politician at this point.

badboy
01-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Crennel has not had a chance yet to establish anything.

Texn4life
01-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Yeah, his interviews have been less than inspiring thus far. I hope he is just some mad defensive scientist, but he sounds more like a really nice but bad politician at this point.

This must be your first time ever hearing Crennel speak. That's his personality. He is a super nice guy which is why his players love him, but he's a defensive mastermind. I don't care how a guy speaks to the media. I just want him to dial up the right schemes at the right times and make sure good players are on the field. Don't need him to be a crazy person like Rob Ryan.

Tailgate
01-23-2014, 01:02 PM
This must be your first time ever hearing Crennel speak.

Purdy much

DBCooper
01-23-2014, 03:02 PM
This must be your first time ever hearing Crennel speak. That's his personality. He is a super nice guy which is why his players love him, but he's a defensive mastermind. I don't care how a guy speaks to the media. I just want him to dial up the right schemes at the right times and make sure good players are on the field. Don't need him to be a crazy person like Rob Ryan.

People keep talking about these scheme thingies.

I'm excited to see them in action!

CloakNNNdagger
01-23-2014, 06:29 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS10LB5IswPV3dk7aagjQgWKKvNc3CMl jRsw6SEeEMWiHOTwlb8

TEXANS D-LINE

One thing that struck me last year is that, because Wade's philosophy, by the second half, ALL of our starter DL were too pooped to function worth a darn. Crennel will have big boys who will ROTATE regularly. That in itself should make the rush defense game AND the pass rush game remarkably better.

Marshall
01-23-2014, 06:39 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS10LB5IswPV3dk7aagjQgWKKvNc3CMl jRsw6SEeEMWiHOTwlb8

TEXANS D-LINE

One thing that struck me last year is that, because Wade's philosophy, by the second half, ALL of our starter DL were too pooped to function worth a darn. Crennel will have big boys who will ROTATE regularly. That in itself should make the rush defense game AND the pass rush game remarkably better.

I have to take up for Wade on this one. His scheme calls for rotation, but injuries and poor play required leaving the only guys playing well in too long. Crennel will only be able to rotate when he has healthy players playing well at something.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
01-23-2014, 07:16 PM
I'm expecting Crick to have his breakout year

thunderkyss
01-24-2014, 12:13 PM
I'm expecting Crick to have his breakout year

They say the biggest jump is usually from year 1 to year 2. I'd love to see him blow up, but I don't see it, not going to a more traditional 3-4.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d6/Jared_Crick.JPG/338px-Jared_Crick.JPG

Quick II Draw
01-24-2014, 01:06 PM
But Crick has Quick development, High Motor, Spin Move AND Bull Rush in Madden!

mussop
01-24-2014, 09:34 PM

TEXANS D-LINE

Ive been crying about our depth on defensive front seven for two years. We don't have anyone to rotate. Can't wait to see who we add.

Number19
01-24-2014, 09:56 PM
Ive been crying about our depth on defensive front seven for two years. We don't have anyone to rotate. Can't wait to see who we add.How are we going to add quality on defense? With our salary cap, about all we can afford is league minimum FA's. Drafting a QB 1-1, we can upgrade two positions in rounds 2 and 3. After that, the picks become marginal.

Out of necessity, our defense will mostly consist of players already on the roster; and we hope the new coaching staff can work some magic.

steelbtexan
01-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Ive been crying about our depth on defensive front seven for two years. We don't have anyone to rotate. Can't wait to see who we add.

Hopefully they've finally decided to fix the trenches on both sides of the ball. Unlike previous regimes.

This appears to be the case, because they have talked mainly to OL/DL at the Sr. Bowl according to Optimum Scouting.

steelbtexan
01-24-2014, 10:24 PM
How are we going to add quality on defense? With our salary cap, about all we can afford is league minimum FA's. Drafting a QB 1-1, we can upgrade two positions in rounds 2 and 3. After that, the picks become marginal.

Out of necessity, our defense will mostly consist of players already on the roster; and we hope the new coaching staff can work some magic.

Unlike previous regimes I fully expect BO'B to hit on at least 4 picks in this yrs draft, probably 5 after seeing the depth of the draft and the advantage of drafting 4-1/5-1. It would help if BoB let Rick pick talented but troubled players in rds 5-7.

Number19
01-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Unlike previous regimes I fully expect BO'B to hit on at least 4 picks in this yrs draft, probably 5 after seeing the depth of the draft and the advantage of drafting 4-1/5-1. It would help if BoB let Rick pick talented but troubled players in rds 5-7.You're certainly correct about depth of this draft. There is an all time record jr class entering the draft - nearly a hundred. Some find this troubling. The overall quality of next year's sr class will be that much less.