PDA

View Full Version : Potential Free Agents

Pages : [1] 2

leebigeztx
01-03-2014, 10:41 PM
As most have pointed out, all the holes can't be fixed via draft. Some of the holes can be fixed through free agency. I'm not talking high dollar,big time free agents, moreso middle of pack guys who are known or on the come up.

I would like to see the texans offer a 4yr deal to either Jason Worlids or Jerry Hughes. I've watched both guys and I think both are on the verge of breaking out. I remember polian saying both are the best benders in the draft. I'm not saying the will lead the nfl in sacks,but both worlids and hughes are seemingly starting to get it. Hughes had 10 sacks and Worlids had 8. Both guys are 25 and are free agents. Buffalo has a ton of money, pittsburgh is bumping the cap and in trouble. Not to mention the steelers drafted jones last yr and woodley is still on the roster. I have a few more,but I don't wanna hog the thread.

NastyNate
01-03-2014, 11:47 PM
I'm pretty sure it's "Worilds"

TJ Ward is my first pick. I'd be okay grabbing Orakpo or maybe Eugene Monroe if we don't grab a suitable tackle, I don't think Baltimore pays him.

DX-TEX
01-04-2014, 12:04 AM

TJ Ward is my first pick. I'd be okay grabbing Orakpo or maybe Eugene Monroe if we don't grab a suitable tackle, I don't think Baltimore pays him.

Harbaugh said last week he wants to keep him

aussie_texan
01-04-2014, 12:07 AM

orakpo and monroe will surely get big contracts

aussie_texan
01-04-2014, 12:13 AM
how about Rodger Saffold and Austin Howard for the RT position.
Brandon Spikes and lamarr houston could potentially be options all be it expensive ones

bah007
01-04-2014, 12:29 AM
T.J. Ward will get a big contract for a safety.

I still submit that if we want a one year rental at QB Vick is a good choice.

Mari-OWNED!
01-04-2014, 12:45 AM
I still submit that if we want a one year rental at QB Vick is a good choice.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll36/Bigsteve87/Gifs/GrossedSNL_zps78c71cbb.gif

O'Brien said he wants smart play from his quarterback, not a turnover/injury prone one. I'd rather start a rookie over Vick.

bah007
01-04-2014, 12:50 AM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll36/Bigsteve87/Gifs/GrossedSNL_zps78c71cbb.gif

O'Brien said he wants smart play from his quarterback, not a turnover/injury prone one. I'd rather start a rookie over Vick.

He's also the most polished of the terds available if y'all insist on signing a FA QB.

I'd prefer not to trade picks for a QB. If we do that we're making a commitment to that player. We're not making a move like that and then just letting the guy walk.

In my mind the best plan is to draft Bridgewater and sign Vick. Let Vick start until he inevitably gets hurt, and then throw Teddy in there.

michaelm
01-04-2014, 12:53 AM
In my mind the best plan is to draft Bridgewater and sign Vick. Let Vick start until he inevitably gets hurt, and then throw Teddy in there.

Sounds good. Teddy gets to sit on the bench observing Vick and learn what not to do, then eventually he'll get on the field.
5 minutes into game one of his career when Vick gets hurt.

Mari-OWNED!
01-04-2014, 12:58 AM
He's also the most polished of the terds available if y'all insist on signing a FA QB.
Who is "y'all?" I personally don't think this team needs to have a vet QB on the roster.

I'd prefer not to trade picks for a QB.
Totally agree with you here. Those picks are for rebuilding.

I'm okay with Vick on the roster if the Texans draft Bridgewater, but I am definitely not okay with the idea of Vick starting over Bridgewater in any way, shape, or form. There's no better way for a rookie to learn than on the field experience in my opinion.

bah007
01-04-2014, 01:01 AM
Who is "y'all?" I personally don't think this team needs to have a vet QB on the roster.

Totally agree with you here. Those picks are for re-building.

I'm okay with Vick on the roster if the Texans draft Bridgewater, but I am definitely not okay with the idea of Vick starting over Bridgewater in any way shape or form. There's no better way for a rookie to learn than on the field experience in my opinion.

Y'all just being whoever is advocating for signing a FA QB, whoever it may be.

I think that a rookie QB can benefit from adjusting to the NFL without having the expectations of being the #1 pick placed immediately upon them. I don't like to ever start a rookie QB unless it is clear that it would be bad for the team if the player didn't start, which very may well end up being the case if Bridgewater is the QB we select. I think he is this year's only rookie QB who is ready to start year 1 if necessary.

leebigeztx
01-04-2014, 01:28 AM
In the secondary, I like tracy porter, if his health checks out. I also like Huff as a free safety and matchup guy. Alan branch has played well since leaving arizona.

drs23
01-04-2014, 02:17 AM
Sounds good. Teddy gets to sit on the bench observing Vick and learn what not to do, then eventually he'll get on the field.
5 minutes into game one of his career when Vick gets hurt.

LOL. My exact thought!

TXAg14
01-04-2014, 02:22 AM
I think the Texans will need to pick up a veteran QB to back up any rookie they pick in the draft. If the Texans pick a QB in the first round, obviously they plan to start him. However if the plan is to wait until a later round, the veteran QB may be more heavily leaned upon.

I can't see the Texans going into the 2014 season with Schaub, Yates or Keenum on the roster. Keenum at least would make a little sense, but I can't imagine him giving advice to a rookie QB. "Don't be worried if you see eight defenders up on the line. Hold on to the ball and let a receiver get open."

dalemurphy
01-04-2014, 02:45 AM
Okay, here's a list. I'm leaving the OL alone- I haven't paid enough attention the past year or two... Also, I know a number of guys on my list have injury issues- I'm assuming we would kick the tires on them and see if they have anything left (perhaps after our training staff is replaced!):

QB: Henne, McCoy, JMcCown, Cassel
HB: A.Bradshaw, Stephens Howling
TE: SChandler, Pitta, Dickson, BMyers, Kellen Davis, Fred Davis

3-4 DEs/ or DTs for either: Tyson Jackson, Ratliff, Linval Joseph, T. Cody

43 DE/ 34 OLBs: R. Ayers, Shaughnessy, D.Tapp

LBs: DBishop, Witherspoon, Dansby, DJ Williams, Stewart Bradley, Akeem Jordan

CBs: Richard Marshall, Sherrod McManis!!

S: Nate Allen, Mikell, Will Allen, Chris Clemons (I'd love TJWard but surely he'd be very costly)

leebigeztx
01-04-2014, 03:21 AM
Okay, here's a list. I'm leaving the OL alone- I haven't paid enough attention the past year or two... Also, I know a number of guys on my list have injury issues- I'm assuming we would kick the tires on them and see if they have anything left (perhaps after our training staff is replaced!):

S: Nate Allen, Mikell, Will Allen, Chris Clemons (I'd love TJWard but surely he'd be very costly)

I like that Fred Davis mention. Dude is ultra talented,runs like the wind and can detach from los. Linvale Joseph is another guy I like on your list. Young guy on the up,can play the nt or the 5 tech. Richard Marshall is a guy who is probably better suited for S than cb now. He's always been a sure handed tackler and can be the nickel cb. Ayers is the true definition of solid.

bigbrewster2000
01-04-2014, 09:17 AM

That's a nice list Dale. If we were to go the veteran QB route and only looking on the list that you have and no one else Cassell is the most intriguing guy I see. There are certainly worse options out there and he has experience with BOB.

steelbtexan
01-04-2014, 09:29 AM

Off of that list give me

Cassel/Joseph/Davis

PHILLYTEXANFAN
01-04-2014, 09:51 AM

Lol Nate Allen is straight garbage

WolverineFan
01-04-2014, 11:05 AM
O'Brien worked wonders with Cassel and he was probably the best of the 3 crappy Minnesota QB's this year. Wouldn't mind signing him and going into camp with...

Cassel/Draft Pick/Keenum

otisbean
01-04-2014, 11:18 AM
O'Brien worked wonders with Cassel and he was probably the best of the 3 crappy Minnesota QB's this year. Wouldn't mind signing him and going into camp with...

Cassel/Draft Pick/Keenum

I was thinking the same thing

2slik4u
01-04-2014, 12:58 PM

Just "ok" with orakpo? Dude is an all-pro.

BullNation4Life
01-04-2014, 01:22 PM

Cassel/Draft Pick/Keenum

I see O'Brien making a run at Ryan Mallet from the Patriots in a trade. Younger and has a better arm than Cassel. Maybe Cassel comes in as the backup

bah007
01-04-2014, 04:01 PM
I see O'Brien making a run at Ryan Mallet from the Patriots in a trade. Younger and has a better arm than Cassel. Maybe Cassel comes in as the backup

We only make that move if O'Brien sees Mallett as the QB of the future.

infantrycak
01-04-2014, 04:09 PM
We only make that move if O'Brien sees Mallett as the QB of the future.

Yup, otherwise this suggestion makes no sense (actually it just makes no sense). The Pats are going to want at least a 3rd and probably a 2nd to give him up. In three years he has 4 passing attempts with 2 completions, 1 to his team and 1 to us.

leebigeztx
01-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Worlids is a fa, hughes is not. I really like Worlids the more I watch him on film. Getting a guy like him would push a pick down unless someone like Beasley fell in your lap in the 2nd rd.

Hervoyel
01-04-2014, 05:16 PM
I want no part of Michael Vick on the Texans. I'd rather they start a rookie, back him up with the best of Schaub/Keenum/Yates than bring Vick here.

dalemurphy
01-04-2014, 05:22 PM
I want no part of Michael Vick on the Texans. I'd rather they start a rookie, back him up with the best of Schaub/Keenum/Yates than bring Vick here.

Yes... bad, bad idea!

Why get a veteran place holder who will win some games, probably, but could not effectively run the offense on schedule... He would stunt the growth and development of all our young WRs, not to mention being a poor QB mentor for a young, athletic QB who needs to develop decision-making, footwork, and timing to succeed in the NFL. Also, he would not be cheap enough to justify cutting Matt Schaub. Schaub would be a very good backup QB for a talented rookie. He is very generous, intelligent, and experienced. I think they should cut him, but only to save significant cap room.

Texecutioner
01-04-2014, 06:03 PM

I'd prefer not to trade picks for a QB. If we do that we're making a commitment to that player. We're not making a move like that and then just letting the guy walk.

Absolutely not. Vick is and would be one of the worst QB's to learn from. He is terrible inside the pocket, holds onto the ball to long, and isn't an accurate passer either. Vick is not a guy that I would want to teach my young QB and plus Vick would be doing everything to become the starter. Bob would never bring Vick here with Vick's history of killing animals.

hradhak
01-04-2014, 09:43 PM
So for all those who want to bring in FA QB like Cassel are you thinking Cassel will start and the draft pick will learn? If so how long do you give the draft pick to learn before you start him?

I would prefer to let the draft pick to get time on the bench first. Not sure if we have the luxury.

thunderkyss
01-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Y'all just being whoever is advocating for signing a FA QB, whoever it may be.

I think that a rookie QB can benefit from adjusting to the NFL without having the expectations of being the #1 pick placed immediately upon them. I don't like to ever start a rookie QB unless it is clear that it would be bad for the team if the player didn't start, which very may well end up being the case if Bridgewater is the QB we select. I think he is this year's only rookie QB who is ready to start year 1 if necessary.

I want to know the Texans are committed to winning in 2014. To that end I'd like to see them bring in a QB that gives us a chance to win. It doesn't have to be a great chance, just better than a Case/Tj chance.

I want Bridgewater, or whoever to beat out somebody if he's going to start in 2014.

Lucky
01-04-2014, 10:50 PM

Cassel/Draft Pick/Keenum

So for all those who want to bring in FA QB like Cassel are you thinking Cassel will start and the draft pick will learn? If so how long do you give the draft pick to learn before you start him?

I would prefer to let the draft pick to get time on the bench first. Not sure if we have the luxury.
Cassel is under contract with the Vikes through 2014, but he can void the contract and become a FA in February. He'll make $3.15 million under his current deal. What $$$ would it take to lure Cassel? Knowing that he's only warming the seat for the rookie that will be drafted? It would be a great fit, but Cassel is not a lock to come to Houston.

bayoudreamn
01-04-2014, 11:16 PM

Cassel/Draft Pick/Keenum

This is the PERFECT time to get McCown or whatever his name is out of Chicago. Cutler just got a contract that minimixes McCown's chances as a starter there and he proved himself capable in Cutler's absence....putting up excellent stats and winning games. He's young and coachable with experience and would be cheaper than alot of others with starter experience. Then you take your pick from the big 4 in the draft and go.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
01-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Not discount guys, But i think Rick needs to figure out a way to grab

Brian Orakpo -OLB WAS

Brandon Spikes - ILB NE

MT. Cody - NT BAL

kiwitexansfan
01-04-2014, 11:46 PM
This is the PERFECT time to get McCown or whatever his name is out of Chicago. Cutler just got a contract that minimixes McCown's chances as a starter there and he proved himself capable in Cutler's absence....putting up excellent stats and winning games. He's young and coachable with experience and would be cheaper than alot of others with starter experience. Then you take your pick from the big 4 in the draft and go.

McCown is not young. He is in his 30s.

He is in the Chad Henne class of QB. Solid back-up, just good enough as a starter to ruin your chances of a high draft pick.

drs23
01-05-2014, 12:44 AM

One problem with that assumption is McCown sounds perfectly comfortable with possibly not playing in the NFL next season. For the 34-year-old quarterback, family is more important that his job.

As pointed out, Josh McCown is 34 years old and he says he's not sure if he even wants to play next year. LINK (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000304045/article/bears-josh-mccown-not-positive-hell-play-next-season)

kingtexan
01-05-2014, 11:55 AM

The fact that you would even consider Schaub still being on this team in any form or fashion pretty much renders all of your future opinions subject to serious scrutiny, if not just outright ridicule.

handswarmer
01-05-2014, 02:00 PM

Monroe gets the deal in Baltimore- Oher will be available

handswarmer
01-05-2014, 02:07 PM
In the secondary, I like tracy porter, if his health checks out. I also like Huff as a free safety and matchup guy. Alan branch has played well since leaving arizona.

Huff got benched by the Ravens after 1 game and then cut after 7 games...signed with Denver after Rahim Moore went to IR....sits on the bench now....Ravens started a rookie over him and the rookie, Matt Elam, was out of position...

handswarmer
01-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Not discount guys, But i think Rick needs to figure out a way to grab

Brian Orakpo -OLB WAS

Brandon Spikes - ILB NE

MT. Cody - NT BAL

He hasn't done squat since he flopped on Dexter McCluster of the Chiefs causing a fumble in the 2010 Playoffs....

Buyer beware....

Brisco_County
01-05-2014, 03:41 PM
The fact that you would even consider Schaub still being on this team in any form or fashion pretty much renders all of your future opinions subject to serious scrutiny, if not just outright ridicule.

Sanctimonious judgement looks like fun. Let's give it a try...

The fact that you would even consider throwing ice at Schaub and cheering his injuries (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102860&highlight=schaub+throwing) in any form or fashion pretty much renders all of your future opinions subject to serious scrutiny, if not just outright ridicule.

Yep, that was fun.

He hasn't done squat since he flopped on Dexter McCluster of the Chiefs causing a fumble in the 2010 Playoffs....

Buyer beware....

Hasn't Cody always had conditioning issues too? I remember that was the reason he had to be rotated out.

Oher will probably get offers from other teams for LT, but it would be humorously ironic if he ended up at RT considering that movie title.

Hervoyel
01-05-2014, 05:53 PM

The mention of Schaub in that post was supposed to underscore and emphasize exactly how bad I don't want Michael Vick near the Texans. Bad enough that if I had a choice between signing Vick or keeping Schaub another year I'd rather keep Schaub.

I don't want to keep Schaub.

kingtexan
01-05-2014, 06:03 PM
The mention of Schaub in that post was supposed to underscore and emphasize exactly how bad I don't want Michael Vick near the Texans. Bad enough that if I had a choice between signing Vick or keeping Schaub another year I'd rather keep Schaub.

I don't want to keep Schaub.

I would take Vick a million times over, and be forced to start him for the next 5 years, before I would even let Matt Schaub have entry into Reliant Stadium. Just sayin ...

mussop
01-05-2014, 11:24 PM
Free Agents I would like to see us look at.

Toby Gerhart....Badboy what do you think?
Donald Brown. I would love him.

Julian Edelman... Perfect fit..
Golden Tate..probrbly going to cost too much.
Tedd Ginn. Speed for the outside and a returner.
Dexter McCluster another good fit...

OT
Oher
Winston temporary fix..

OG
Jon Asamoah
Geoff Swartz

DT
Randy Starks
Jason Hatcher
Ziggy Hood

ILB

Brandon Spikes

SW H-TOWN
01-06-2014, 01:28 AM
These are the guys that I would be looking at who will not cost a ton of money to sign.

OT-Michael Oher, Eric Winston, Rodger Saffold. There are several other free agents but I think that they will be re-signed. The more I look at the available free agents the more I think we will be drafting a T.

DE - Arthur Jones and Lamarr Houston. These guys could very well be available and I could see us signing one of these guys.

NT - Linval Joseph and Paul Soliai. I could see us spending some money on Joseph and getting a player capable of playing NT on our roster. We could also sign Soliai but I think it is more probable he will be resigned. He would allow us to draft and groom a NT.

OLB-Orakpo & Jason Worilds. I think that Orakpo is going to get a very big contract. I see Worilds as a more realist option.

CB - Chris Harris & Walter Thurmond. Both these guys are quality players who will most likely be available due to the cap situation of the teams they play for.

ILB-Vincent Rey. He is stuck behind Rey Maualuga and would provide an upgrade over Sharpton.

S-Major Wright. There are several studs but they are not going anywhere. I put down Major Wright even though I expect him to re-sign. Not looking to good for the Texans if they are thinking about landing a FS in FA.

leebigeztx
01-06-2014, 02:06 AM
These are the guys that I would be looking at who will not cost a ton of money to sign.

OT-Michael Oher, Eric Winston, Rodger Saffold. There are several other free agents but I think that they will be re-signed. The more I look at the available free agents the more I think we will be drafting a T.

DE - Arthur Jones and Lamarr Houston. These guys could very well be available and I could see us signing one of these guys.

NT - Linval Joseph and Paul Soliai. I could see us spending some money on Joseph and getting a player capable of playing NT on our roster. We could also sign Soliai but I think it is more probable he will be resigned. He would allow us to draft and groom a NT.

OLB-Orakpo & Jason Worilds. I think that Orakpo is going to get a very big contract. I see Worilds as a more realist option.

CB - Chris Harris & Walter Thurmond. Both these guys are quality players who will most likely be available due to the cap situation of the teams they play for.

ILB-Vincent Rey. He is stuck behind Rey Maualuga and would provide an upgrade over Sharpton.

S-Major Wright. There are several studs but they are not going anywhere. I put down Major Wright even though I expect him to re-sign. Not looking to good for the Texans if they are thinking about landing a FS in FA.

Good list. I've always wondered how Kiwinuecka would fare as a 3-4 olb. I'm not sure he's a free agent though.

aussie_texan
01-06-2014, 02:34 AM
i don't want anything to do with oher. his on the decline and will get a bigger contract than he deserves due to his hollywood fame.
that being said anything is better the Newton

leebigeztx
01-06-2014, 03:10 AM
Linval Joseph fits the profile of a nt. I never knew why the g-men drafted him. 4yrs 12m, 6m. 6m guarantee sounds right.

Marshall
01-06-2014, 08:15 AM

Totally agree with you here. Those picks are for rebuilding.

I'm okay with Vick on the roster if the Texans draft Bridgewater, but I am definitely not okay with the idea of Vick starting over Bridgewater in any way, shape, or form. There's no better way for a rookie to learn than on the field experience in my opinion.

If we invest in a right side line, then let Keenum take the hits like a veteran would while Bridgewater gets coached up, then let the competition begin and have a good young backup waiting in the wings.

I'm almost willing to draft Clowney 1-1, Mettenberger 2-1, OT or OG 3-1 and see how things develope. Even better to trade down and pick up extra picks. But TB1-1 with OT/OG 2-1 works.

thunderkyss
01-06-2014, 08:27 AM
If we invest in a right side line, then let Keenum take the hits like a veteran would while Bridgewater gets coached up, then let the competition begin and have a good young backup waiting in the wings.

What are our chances of winning with Keenum starting? Right now, I'd say slime to none. Slightly better with Tj starting; very slightly.

With Vick, those chances go up; a lot. If we could find a way to get Cassell, we'd still have a higher chance of winning. Freeman... higher chance of winning than with Case.

Even if we draft Bridgewater #1 overall, let him compete with someone better than Case Keenum to win the starting job. That's all I'm saying. Bring in Dan Orlovsky.

I'm almost willing to draft Clowney 1-1, Mettenberger 2-1, OT or OG 3-1 and see how things develope. Even better to trade down and pick up extra picks. But TB1-1 with OT/OG 2-1 works.

I'd like for the Texans to identify who they think the best QB in this class is & develop a plan to get him. If they think it's Mettenberger & that they can get him in the 2nd.... fine.

If they think it's Bortles & they can get him at 5, then they should come up with a plan to do so.

But I would rather they take him at 1 than miss him at 5 & have to take their second/third choice.

Still, if they don't think any of these QBs have a high probability of being a franchise QB, I'd find it hard to believe, but I'd rather they not spend a 1 overall, or a 33 on a QB they have little faith in. Get Boyd, or McArron.

steelbtexan
01-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Linval Joseph fits the profile of a nt. I never knew why the g-men drafted him. 4yrs 12m, 6m. 6m guarantee sounds right.

It would be very easy to make that cap space for him. Cut Schaub/Mitchell and your in the ballpark.

The1ApplePie
01-06-2014, 09:25 AM
If Mark Sanchez or Ponder get cut, maybe the Texans look at them. Not the answer at starting QB, but could come in and win a game or two as a backup. Cassel would be another good choice.

Brandon Pettigrew and Jeremy Maclin would be interesting signings as well.

Anthony Spencer's price should be down thanks to his injury and the emergence of Selvie in Dallas.

Blake
01-06-2014, 10:52 AM
All I know is that Rick is gonna have to do a discount doublecheck to help fill out our depth.

leebigeztx
01-06-2014, 04:34 PM
If Mark Sanchez or Ponder get cut, maybe the Texans look at them. Not the answer at starting QB, but could come in and win a game or two as a backup. Cassel would be another good choice.

Brandon Pettigrew and Jeremy Maclin would be interesting signings as well.

Anthony Spencer's price should be down thanks to his injury and the emergence of Selvie in Dallas.

I like Pettigrew in the sense he's talented,yet haven't lived up to his billing. None of our tes are seam threats so its like having a modified fullback. Pettigrew and fred davis would really open the field up.

Marshall
01-06-2014, 05:20 PM
I would take Vick a million times over, and be forced to start him for the next 5 years, before I would even let Matt Schaub have entry into Reliant Stadium. Just sayin ...You're the worst kind of fan. Ungrateful.

Marshall
01-06-2014, 05:24 PM
It would be very easy to make that cap space for him. Cut Schaub/Mitchell and your in the ballpark.

Schaub will probably be a cap cut. Mitchell is a FA and not even included in cap numbers.

ps Schaubs 2014 Cap savings in only 4$M. The greater savings comes in future years (ie Watt extension) which is why we take the full hit this year.

kingtexan
01-06-2014, 06:22 PM
You're the worst kind of fan. Ungrateful.

Grateful for what? We wasted all that time with a back-up starting for us at QB. Maybe not his fault, because Gary hand-picked him, but he still cost us many chances to progress. As a fan I owe Matt Schaub zero gratitude.

Thorn
01-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Schaub, before his injuries and losing his mind, was a pretty darn good QB for Kubiak's system.

SW H-TOWN
01-06-2014, 11:48 PM

Good list. I've always wondered how Kiwinuecka would fare as a 3-4 olb. I'm not sure he's a free agent though.

Thanks, out of this list I would really like us to go after Linval Joseph and Chris Harris.

We really need a NT and Joseph just fits. He has been a productive starter for the Giants since 2011. He is very consistent and has started just about every game for the past three years. The Giants have Cullen Jenkins who will not be a FA until 2016 and drafted Johnathan Hankins so I could see him being allowed to test the market.

Chris Harris is a really good player for Denver and I would bet he will be available because the Broncos have a lot of high profile free agents that they need to retain, like a ton. Harris has experience at the slot and outside. He would make McCain obsolete and be an eventual replacement for Joseph.

Vincent Rey would be a good guy to sign too. He would not cost too much money and would provide an upgrade over Sharpton.

Ben Frank
01-09-2014, 11:49 AM
It would be nice if we could scrap up enough money for Brian Orakpo, Or Jairus Byrd.. I know they won't come cheap.. but loosing Schaub, Tate, and Smith should be able to get one #hopeful

leebigeztx
01-09-2014, 02:34 PM
It would be nice if we could scrap up enough money for Brian Orakpo, Or Jairus Byrd.. I know they won't come cheap.. but loosing Schaub, Tate, and Smith should be able to get one #hopeful
I am not sure tate is gone. They could high tender him for 2m and if nothing else, still draft a rb. Tate is a good back, but sometimes he tries to do too much. Tate would be fine if paired with a 3rd down type of guy. We dont know if arian will play again or what level he will be at. For 2m, I think thats a good safeguard. Maybe they trade a 5th for ronnie hillman who seems to be in the underground doghouse.

infantrycak
01-09-2014, 02:39 PM
I am not sure tate is gone. They could high tender him for 2m and if nothing else, still draft a rb. Tate is a good back, but sometimes he tries to do too much. Tate would be fine if paired with a 3rd down type of guy. We dont know if arian will play again or what level he will be at. For 2m, I think thats a good safeguard. Maybe they trade a 5th for ronnie hillman who seems to be in the underground doghouse.

Tate can't be tendered.

Blake
01-10-2014, 09:10 AM

Arian is scheduled to be back in time for training camp and we still owe him money, at least enough to just keep him for another season. Tate wants to be a teams #1 back. He doesnt want to be a 2nd fiddle and I think hes had enough of Houston as Houston has had of him.

With Foster and Johnson, you can grab a Tate replacement on the cheap in the back half of the NFL draft. There are several talented guys who will be there.

badboy
01-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Free Agents I would like to see us look at.

Toby Gerhart....Badboy what do you think?
Donald Brown. I would love him.

Golden Tate..probrbly going to cost too much.
Tedd Ginn. Speed for the outside and a returner.
Dexter McCluster another good fit...

OT
Oher
Winston temporary fix..

OG
Jon Asamoah
Geoff Swartz

DT
Randy Starks
Jason Hatcher
Ziggy Hood

ILB

Brandon SpikesToby would be an interesting discussion as a FA with a hammy and probably would insist on going to a team where he has chance to start. A great insurance policy for Vikings but terrible for him. If Foster is healthy, I would not recommend he come here if I were his agent. He could be a hell of a #2.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
01-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Pat Angerer or Perry Riley anyone?

SW H-TOWN
01-13-2014, 11:37 PM
Well, one of the top 3 guys that I would have targeted in FA tore his ACL. Chris Harris, 2011 UFA CB Denver, was about to get paid and tore up his knee. This guy nobody thought would even make the team and through grit and hard work he had taken over as one of the 2 starting CBs half way through the season and was playing his a$$ off. Would not feel so bad if he was a first round draft pack...already millionaire. Hope he has a quick recovery. Damn I would of liked to have him in a Texans uniform. That is the type of guy you want on the roster.

SW H-TOWN
01-14-2014, 01:02 AM
Correction, Chris Harris is a RFA.

leebigeztx
01-14-2014, 01:25 AM
Pat Angerer or Perry Riley anyone?

I liked Riley coming out of LSU. Very underrated around the league.

thetexanator
01-14-2014, 09:11 PM
he will be the highest paid fa, but hey, thats why rick smith gets paid the big bucks right?
try to convince me why we cant get him if we give him antonio's money. let's make this happen rick.

:dancer:

PHILLYTEXANFAN
01-14-2014, 10:37 PM
Your probably talking OD, Schaub, and Manning or JJoe money as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badboy
01-15-2014, 12:23 AM
We currently have about $ 9 million for the right guy or guys if fortunate.

thunderkyss
01-15-2014, 09:54 AM
We currently have about $ 9 million for the right guy or guys if fortunate.

That's only relevant as far as cap number goes.

We can offer three people a $9M contract as long as we can get their cap numbers below $9M.

Like Glover Quin. He signed a 5 years $23M contract. $5M signing bonus. With a $1M salary, his cap hit for 2013 was only $2M.

We can sign 4 guys to contracts like that with $9M....

Then we can & will cut Schaub.

steelbtexan
01-15-2014, 10:01 AM

We can offer three people a $9M contract as long as we can get their cap numbers below $9M.

Like Glover Quin. He signed a 5 years $23M contract. $5M signing bonus. With a $1M salary, his cap hit for 2013 was only $2M.

The should be able to sign a FA NT/OL with that cap $$$$ especially after they cut Schaub.

badboy
01-15-2014, 10:03 AM

Then we can & will cut Schaub.Sorry was saying up to $9 million the first contract year. Not very interested in a player making $2 million a year other than as a back up depending on whom.

thunderkyss
01-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Sorry was saying up to $9 million the first contract year. Not very interested in a player making $2 million a year other than as a back up depending on whom.

We need to staty away from those $9M/yr guys. Not very healthy for long term cap health. And you definitely want to stay away from them in FA, where the name of the game is to overpay.

We need more guys who are worth between $4M/yr & $6M/yr...... Like Glover Quin.

I think Rogers-Cromartie could test FA this year. I wouldn't have a problem signing him to ~ $9M/yr, we can restructure Jjo's money to pay for it, move Kj to safety.... & still have $9M of cap space.

badboy
01-15-2014, 11:04 AM
We need to staty away from those $9M/yr guys. Not very healthy for long term cap health. And you definitely want to stay away from them in FA, where the name of the game is to overpay.

We need more guys who are worth between $4M/yr & $6M/yr...... Like Glover Quin.

I think Rogers-Cromartie could test FA this year. I wouldn't have a problem signing him to ~ $9M/yr, we can restructure Jjo's money to pay for it, move Kj to safety.... & still have $9M of cap space.yeah any player we bring aboard need to be hits not misses. FA does not look good for me.

aussie_texan
01-15-2014, 06:32 PM
yeah any player we bring aboard need to be hits not misses. FA does not look good for me.

i think there are a couple of guys at RT we could get in FA and for relatively cheap. first guy i target is Austin Howard.

If we can find one or two starters from the FA period that would be amazing. they don't have to be big money FA either. just solid role players

Seegara
01-15-2014, 10:19 PM

ANYBODY but Glover Quin! A open space in the defense is better than he, because others will fill in to do the job Quin was supposed to do. His mere presence on the field throws away games.

ROSENCOPTER, but not Glover Quin!

EllisUnit
01-15-2014, 11:20 PM
ANYBODY but Glover Quin! A open space in the defense is better than he, because others will fill in to do the job Quin was supposed to do. His mere presence on the field throws away games.

ROSENCOPTER, but not Glover Quin!

:thinking: Not sure if serious....

TexansFTW
01-16-2014, 12:12 AM
A) So when I look here I see we have 116 Mill tied up in contracts for 2014

http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space2.php?Year=2014

B) When I look here I see The 2014 salary cap is projected to be 126 Mill

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24379050/agents-take-raiders-atop-list-of-10-teams-with-best-2014-salary-cap-situation

C) When I look here at 2013 rookie cap numbers I estimate we use about 6.2 mill on about 4 rookies and IR the rest of them

http://overthecap.com/nfl-rookie-salary-cap.php

D) When I look at a few contracts and use probability and what I've heard I can cut a few of these contracts and save a few bucks (OD, Schaub, McCain OR Harris, Newton (I Pray), 3 other guys I don't know worth about 1.5 mill, and probably a contract or 2 restructured to save 2 mill)

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Texans&Year=2014

Overall this is the math I've done, I can definitely be wrong and I'm totally rounding, feel free to correct me so I better understand this in the future...

B (126) - A (116) - C (6.2) + (D) 13.5 = ~17 mill for FA.

I guess we can get Orakpo. I definitely like the guy that's not in question, but that's gonna be a huge chunk of this. What will we do about depth EVERYWHERE then?

The Texans are an extremely snake bit franchise with regards to injury and we NEVER seem to have any depth anywhere on this team. If we get Brian Orakpo, hell yes I'm down, but we better be VERY smart with where we spend the rest.

TexansFTW
01-16-2014, 12:14 AM
Oh yeah, and a FA I really like is Kerry Rhodes.

I think this dude is still a gamer and a top notch NFL player. I truly believe he was thrown off the team because he is rumored to be gay, but the dude has game left and can be had very cheap.

leebigeztx
01-16-2014, 12:20 AM
As I said before, if we could get linval joseph and jason worlids,it would really impact the draft. That would mean they could take richardson or fuller in the 2nd, seastrunk or DAT in the 3rd. Jmo

paycheck71
01-16-2014, 12:44 AM
A) So when I look here I see we have 116 Mill tied up in contracts for 2014

http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space2.php?Year=2014

B) When I look here I see The 2014 salary cap is projected to be 126 Mill

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24379050/agents-take-raiders-atop-list-of-10-teams-with-best-2014-salary-cap-situation

C) When I look here at 2013 rookie cap numbers I estimate we use about 6.2 mill on about 4 rookies and IR the rest of them

http://overthecap.com/nfl-rookie-salary-cap.php

D) When I look at a few contracts and use probability and what I've heard I can cut a few of these contracts and save a few bucks (OD, Schaub, McCain OR Harris, Newton (I Pray), 3 other guys I don't know worth about 1.5 mill, and probably a contract or 2 restructured to save 2 mill)

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Texans&Year=2014

Overall this is the math I've done, I can definitely be wrong and I'm totally rounding, feel free to correct me so I better understand this in the future...

B (126) - A (116) - C (6.2) + (D) 13.5 = ~17 mill for FA.

I guess we can get Orakpo. I definitely like the guy that's not in question, but that's gonna be a huge chunk of this. What will we do about depth EVERYWHERE then?

The Texans are an extremely snake bit franchise with regards to injury and we NEVER seem to have any depth anywhere on this team. If we get Brian Orakpo, hell yes I'm down, but we better be VERY smart with where we spend the rest.

The cap calculator on overthecap.com makes the math part much easier for you.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Texans

You can play around with cuts, trades, extensions, etc, and then see how much money you end up with.

Marshall
01-16-2014, 06:28 AM

I think this dude is still a gamer and a top notch NFL player. I truly believe he was thrown off the team because he is rumored to be gay, but the dude has game left and can be had very cheap.

I do not want that circus. Now a young Dusty Rhodes is another matter entirely...

TheIronDuke
01-16-2014, 08:50 AM

Dude I've been asking for Kerry Rhodes for a year now but I think he's actually done playing because he doesn't want to play anymore. I would think he would miss the days of locker room shenanigans but I guess that none of that is worth it to him anymore.

TexansFTW
01-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Dude I've been asking for Kerry Rhodes for a year now but I think he's actually done playing because he doesn't want to play anymore. I would think he would miss the days of locker room shenanigans but I guess that none of that is worth it to him anymore.

Me too, I think he wants to play though. You don't go work out for the Giants being offered $800K if you don't want to play anymore.

He's gay and the NFL isn't ready to accept that yet. In 10 years from now this will happen again with another athlete, I wonder what teams' reactions will be at that time.

The cap calculator on overthecap.com makes the math part much easier for you.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Texans

You can play around with cuts, trades, extensions, etc, and then see how much money you end up with.

LOL, thanks man. I was trying WAYYYY too hard. Can we really free up $4 mill restructuring Dre? Wow. I hope this thing is accurate, it's pretty cool to play with.

I do not want that circus. Now a young Dusty Rhodes is another matter entirely...

lol, something like Gold Dust playing safety?

paycheck71
01-16-2014, 01:58 PM
LOL, thanks man. I was trying WAYYYY too hard. Can we really free up $4 mill restructuring Dre? Wow. I hope this thing is accurate, it's pretty cool to play with.

We can, but I wouldn't recommend it. His cap #'s for the next 3 years are already close to being out of control due to how many times his contract has been restructured. Need to minimize the amount of dead money if he's cut or decides to retire before his contract is up.

badboy
01-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Me too, I think he wants to play though. You don't go work out for the Giants being offered $800K if you don't want to play anymore.

He's gay and the NFL isn't ready to accept that yet. In 10 years from now this will happen again with another athlete, I wonder what teams' reactions will be at that time.

lol, something like Gold Dust playing safety?Like Paycheck says we have to be very careful reworking contracts and pushing money onto future caps. It should be done only in rare cases with huge upside for signing or re-signing someone. We need to allow some of these contracts to go away when player get to the end like both Smiths. Those expiring contracts alone brings us almost $13m cap relief IIRC. That is Arakpo + money and a guy like him greatly improves those around him imo. Just info:

"
Accurately assessing Orakpos value on the open market, should he get there, will be difficult. Green Bay outside linebacker Clay Matthews signed a six-year, $69.73 million contract extension with the Packers in April. On the other end of the spectrum, the Cleveland Browns handed Paul Kruger, primarily a backup in four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, a five-year, $40.5 million contract in March."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/19/strong-finish-should-help-brian-orakpo-contract-ta/#ixzz2qbT8LJtE
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

srrono
01-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Shaun Phillips

mussop
01-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Talib CB NE

TexansFTW
02-02-2014, 12:38 PM

Good call. ESPN Boston is starting to come around to this too.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5440/julian-edelman

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4758486/quick-hit-thoughts-around-nfl-patriots-14?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

TexansFTW
02-18-2014, 04:12 PM

He definitely still wants to play. He can deny it all he wants. He's blacklisted.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10477666/kerry-rhodes-believe-was-blacklisted

infantrycak
02-18-2014, 05:30 PM
He definitely still wants to play. He can deny it all he wants. He's blacklisted.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10477666/kerry-rhodes-believe-was-blacklisted

Not sure how you think that article supports he's blacklisted. He was offered and turned down a contract. He clearly is not willing to play for vet minimum.

thetexanator
02-19-2014, 11:00 PM
Demarcus Ware will be cut

offer him antonios money and were set

get a qb and a cb in the first 2 rds and were set for the next 3 years. (cut joseph) add a ot or a safety in the 3rd.

championship level team, even with a rookie qb.

thunderkyss
02-19-2014, 11:04 PM
Demarcus Ware will be cut

offer him antonios money and were set

get a qb and a cb in the first 2 rds and were set for the next 3 years. (cut joseph) add a ot or a safety in the 3rd.

championship level team, even with a rookie qb.

Demarcus Ware will get closer to Mario money.

thetexanator
02-19-2014, 11:44 PM

coming off an injury? he should get closer to terrell suggs money. convince him to play with watt and cush for the rest of his career. this is why rick smith gets paid.

infantrycak
02-20-2014, 12:29 AM

coming off an injury? he should get closer to terrell suggs money. convince him to play with watt and cush for the rest of his career. this is why rick smith gets paid.

Demarcus Ware is signed through 2017. Rumor has it the Cowboys may ask him to restructure. Outright cut is extremely unlikely this season but if he were he would get more than Smith and less than Mario.

Wolf6151
02-20-2014, 01:04 AM
Marshall Newhouse-OT is a FA. I remember lots of folks here wanting him for the Texans but he got drafted by the Packers in the 5th round. Anyone know anything about him or why the Packers are letting him walk? He might not have worked out in Green Bay but lots of guys do much better with their 2nd team.

El Tejano
02-20-2014, 12:04 PM
What about Eric Decker? Dude's also got PR skills.

infantrycak
02-20-2014, 12:12 PM

If we are going to pick up a top dollar free agent we would be much better off doing it elsewhere.

Ryan
02-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Decker wants at least 8 mil a year. No way.

leebigeztx
02-20-2014, 01:22 PM

You always have to be aware of what peyton can do to make wrs look better. Not saying decker can't be good,but he's a #2. The texans have a 1 and a 2. If they feel like aj's replacement isn't on the roster,they can draft a wr in the 1st 3rds.

leebigeztx
02-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Red Bryant would be great on the nose. In fact, he's the kind of guy who can play the 0 and 5 tech. Jasper,Tx kid too. 4m per yr sounds good.

HOU-TEX
02-28-2014, 05:25 PM
I know we won't look at him, but I wouldn't mind giving Johnny Jolly a shot. He appears to have gotten past his codeine addiction and was looking good before his injury. Neck injuries usually aren't things I'd mess with, but he's doing good from what I've gathered

His $$ should be reasonable too

Hottoddie
02-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Red Bryant would be great on the nose. In fact, he's the kind of guy who can play the 0 and 5 tech. Jasper,Tx kid too. 4m per yr sounds good.

I'd like to see us get him as well. I wanted the Texans to draft him, but they chose Adibi in the 4th & Okam in the 5th. Well, that sure worked out. :rolleyes:

leebigeztx
02-28-2014, 05:36 PM
I know we won't look at him, but I wouldn't mind giving Johnny Jolly a shot. He appears to have gotten past his codeine addiction and was looking good before his injury. Neck injuries usually aren't things I'd mess with, but he's doing good from what I've gathered

I don't know if being back in houston is the best thing.

Insideop
02-28-2014, 08:45 PM
There is some talk going on about the Texans going after Matt Cassel. I heard it mentioned on 610 the other day and then came across an article on NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330071/article/free-agency-primer-top-nine-quarterbacks.

I'm not a Cassel fan or anything but I think he could be someone to come in and "hold down the fort" so to speak until their young draft pick, whoever that is, is ready to go. The video does mention that Cassel had his biggest year with O'Brien in NE and that Cassel just turned down a 3.7 million contract to stay in Minnesota. So I guess it makes sense he'd be looking the Texans way.

leebigeztx
02-28-2014, 08:55 PM
There is some talk going on about the Texans going after Matt Cassel. I heard it mentioned on 610 the other day and then came across an article on NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330071/article/free-agency-primer-top-nine-quarterbacks.

I'm not a Cassel fan or anything but I think he could be someone to come in and "hold down the fort" so to speak until their young draft pick, whoever that is, is ready to go. The video does mention that Cassel had his biggest year with O'Brien in NE and that Cassel just turned down a 3.7 million contract to stay in Minnesota. So I guess it makes sense he'd be looking the Texans way.

When did cassell play under O'Brien? I know he play inder fake hodie,but not O'Brien.

The Pencil Neck
02-28-2014, 11:17 PM
When did cassell play under O'Brien? I know he play inder fake hodie,but not O'Brien.

Josh McDaniels was the OC and O'Brien was the QB Coach, iirc, the year that Brady went down. So O'Brien and Cassel worked with each other pretty closely.

MistaRed
03-01-2014, 01:32 AM
Josh McDaniels was the OC and O'Brien was the QB Coach, iirc, the year that Brady went down. So O'Brien and Cassel worked with each other pretty closely.

O'Brien was the WR coach. McDaniels was OC/QB coach.

The Pencil Neck
03-01-2014, 02:38 AM
O'Brien was the WR coach. McDaniels was OC/QB coach.

You're right. McDaniels left and then O'Brien became the QB coach the next year. My bad.

Playoffs
03-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Patriots writer Erik Frenz just said they would want a 2nd for Ryan Mallett, then explained why and finished with "if they can't get more than a 3rd" they'll keep him and let him go next year. Freudian slip...? If OB wants him I bet 3-1 does it.

aussie_texan
03-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Patriots writer Erik Frenz just said they would want a 2nd for Ryan Mallett, then explained why and finished with "if they can't get more than a 3rd" they'll keep him and let him go next year. Freudian slip...? If OB wants him I bet 3-1 does it.

i would be happy with this, considering if we trade for him OB knows more than us on the issue.

Ideally if we can find 2 starters in FA by using low cost or mid tier salaries that would be great.

Insideop
03-01-2014, 07:43 PM

I don't like this idea. Don't think Mallett is worth 3-1, and I don't think we should be giving up any draft picks to get another team's player. There will be plenty of players in FA including QB's. We need to get more draft picks not less. There's too many holes that need to be filled IMO.

False Start
03-01-2014, 10:20 PM

I would be interested in Mallet.

LikeMike
03-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Any good RTs available?

thunderkyss
03-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Any good RTs available?

Eric Winston...

Again.

PapaL
03-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Eric Winston...

Again.

Is he "good" or better than the clowns we had last year?

LikeMike
03-02-2014, 11:54 AM

I would say yes, but I don`t know how much he has left in the tank and if he`d even be willing to come back.

But if Winston is as good as it gets it almost means, that OT is pretty high up our draft needs. With last years RT no rookie QB would even stand a chance. We can always hope that Quezz or one of the other young guys can step it up, but I wouldn`t hold my breath.

If we don`t like either QB Id be more than alright with trading down and taking either of the top tackles. If we do take a QB, Id look really hard at RT in the 2nd or at latest in the 3d round.

infantrycak
03-02-2014, 12:47 PM

Yes. Not as good as when he left (and was overrated) but still an upgrade in both pass pro and rush blocking. Better coordination with RG and savvier. You are always going to pull some extra false starts with him though.

Another negative is having to listen to the b!tching from people obsessed with him appearing on the radio a couple times a week instead of silently sitting on his ass at home sucking the centers out of twinkies, naked on a bean bag chair.

steelbtexan
03-02-2014, 02:21 PM

If 3-1 did the trick then my draft would hopefully look like this

Rd.1 Clowney
Rd.2 Morgan Moses

or Trade down.

#4 Robinson
#25 Van Noy
#33 Jenkins
#65 Mallett

Hottoddie
03-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Any good RTs available?

Austin Howard (RT) NY Jets

One article I read suggested it would cost about $7 million to get him though.

infantrycak
03-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Austin Howard (RT) NY Jets

One article I read suggested it would cost about $7 million to get him though.

Michael Oher has not panned out as a star but he would be a giant upgrade on last year.

aussie_texan
03-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Michael Oher has not panned out as a star but he would be a giant upgrade on last year.

i doubt it. declining o-lineman seldom work out.

infantrycak
03-02-2014, 08:20 PM
i doubt it. declining o-lineman seldom work out.

Oher is not declining. He just isn't as good as his hype.

mussop
03-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Yes. Not as good as when he left (and was overrated) but still an upgrade in both pass pro and rush blocking. Better coordination with RG and savvier. You are always going to pull some extra false starts with him though.

Another negative is having to listen to the b!tching from people obsessed with him appearing on the radio a couple times a week instead of silently sitting on his ass at home sucking the centers out of twinkies, naked on a bean bag chair.

Agree! Way to much was made out of that.

TexansFTW
03-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Not sure how you think that article supports he's blacklisted. He was offered and turned down a contract. He clearly is not willing to play for vet minimum.

He was offered a deal for peanuts after he balled out continuously the years previous. If it's your last deal of your career and you KNOW you're worth more than peanuts you will always try to test the market. It's weird that not one team offered more than the vet minimum though. This will be a 30 for 30 story on ESPN within 10 years, I would be willing to bet on that.

Absolutely not. It won't be close. Age and upside play huge roles in contracts.

You always have to be aware of what peyton can do to make wrs look better. Not saying decker can't be good,but he's a #2. The texans have a 1 and a 2. If they feel like aj's replacement isn't on the roster,they can draft a wr in the 1st 3rds.

I agree. I would never pursue a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady FA WR. Look at Brandon Stokely for example.

Any good RTs available?

http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?Position=RT&Year=2014

Older LTs that don't have the market they think often can be converted to right:

http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?Position=LT&Year=2014

I'd definitely be down with pursuing one of these guys. I especially like the idea of signing Oher to a short term deal where he has to prove he still he has it while having other RTs on the team compete (Williams).

Oher is only 27 so it's not like his best football is behind him. He was just overrated because a movie was made about him. When the movie was released he wasn't even graded that high on PFF lists from what I remember, just a feel good story.

infantrycak
03-03-2014, 10:34 AM
He was offered a deal for peanuts after he balled out continuously the years previous. If it's your last deal of your career and you KNOW you're worth more than peanuts you will always try to test the market. It's weird that not one team offered more than the vet minimum though. This will be a 30 for 30 story on ESPN within 10 years, I would be willing to bet on that.

This would be a lot more persuasive if you weren't adding facts of your own creation and ignoring facts which were included in your article. It does not say vet minimum - you added that. It does say he has a reputation for not being committed to football according to a former teammate who says that is the problem - you ignore that. He has also now been presented with the perfect opportunity to come out if he is gay and continues to deny it when arguably it would now be to his benefit.

Hottoddie
03-03-2014, 12:26 PM

I thought about Oher, but I just don't get a warm & fuzzy feeling about him. However, I do hope we sign a veteran RT in free agency & solve that problem once & for all.

infantrycak
03-03-2014, 12:32 PM
I thought about Oher, but I just don't get a warm & fuzzy feeling about him. However, I do hope we sign a veteran RT in free agency & solve that problem once & for all.

I'm not advocating Oher. My preference is a 2nd or 3rd rd RT, but he is a free agent option if the price is right and someone doesn't overpay on lingering hype.

Vinny
03-03-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm not advocating Oher. My preference is a 2nd or 3rd rd RT, but he is a free agent option if the price is right and someone doesn't overpay on lingering hype.Chester Pitts in his prime was a better RT than Other is although they never played him there.

infantrycak
03-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Chester Pitts in his prime was a better RT than Other is although they never played him there.

Totally agree although you and I are in a small cadre of Pitts fans.

bah007
03-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Chester Pitts in his prime was a better RT than Other is although they never played him there.

Totally agree although you and I are in a small cadre of Pitts fans.

I agree with both of you.

Chester was never valued as highly as he should have been during his time here.

TexansFTW
03-03-2014, 05:59 PM
This would be a lot more persuasive if you weren't adding facts of your own creation and ignoring facts which were included in your article. It does not say vet minimum - you added that. It does say he has a reputation for not being committed to football according to a former teammate who says that is the problem - you ignore that. He has also now been presented with the perfect opportunity to come out if he is gay and continues to deny it when arguably it would now be to his benefit.

I said peanuts with regards to Cardinals. The Cardinals asked him to take a paycut from his scheduled $5.5 million owed salary to $3 million after posting probably the best year of his career and therefore ending his career on a reduced salary. This happens every year and guys say no and find other deals (Jennings, Welker are the first 2 I can think of from last year).

I thought that I read he was offered 1 deal after all this for the vet minimum and he declined it based on the fact that he felt he was worth more. PFF had him rated as the #4 safety in 2012. I remembered wrong looking back, it was an article talking about how teams only had to offer him the vet minimum to acquire his skills. If you want to not believe any of it based me typing that wrong that's fine though, I will survive with whatever decision you or anyone else makes.

Perfect opportunity to come out? LOL, working real well for Michael Sam. People were looking for an excuse to make the guy undrafted and guess what... they found it, but it wasn't about what he could or could not do on the football field.

I will leave this alone, but to imply I am intentionally making things up is untrue. I'm sure we can all nit pick subtle details in many posts on here. Regardless, Think whatever you want, it is your right and I respect that, but there are always 2 sides to every story, take the teammates, that's fine with me.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/14/rhodes-may-have-rejected-offers-in-march-but-hes-still-getting-no-interest-now/

If the Cardinals truly deemed him to be worthy of a one-year, $3 million contract in March, why would no one offer him anything in May, June, July, August, or September?

Coincidentally, the rumors regarding Rhodes’ sexuality hit the Internet in April.

steelbtexan
03-03-2014, 06:08 PM
I agree with both of you.

Chester was never valued as highly as he should have been during his time here.

I always thought Chester was a clubhouse lawyer who was looking forward to his post NFL media career. He accomplished his goal. (Winston?)

steelbtexan
03-03-2014, 06:11 PM
I said peanuts with regards to Cardinals. The Cardinals asked him to take a paycut from his scheduled $5.5 million owed salary to $3 million after posting probably the best year of his career and therefore ending his career on a reduced salary. This happens every year and guys say no and find other deals (Jennings, Welker are the first 2 I can think of from last year).

I thought that I read he was offered 1 deal after all this for the vet minimum and he declined it based on the fact that he felt he was worth more. PFF had him rated as the #4 safety in 2012. I remembered wrong looking back, it was an article talking about how teams only had to offer him the vet minimum to acquire his skills. If you want to not believe any of it based me typing that wrong that's fine though, I will survive with whatever decision you or anyone else makes.

Perfect opportunity to come out? LOL, working real well for Michael Sam. People were looking for an excuse to make the guy undrafted and guess what... they found it, but it wasn't about what he could or could not do on the football field.

I will leave this alone, but to imply I am intentionally making things up is untrue. I'm sure we can all nit pick subtle details in many posts on here. Regardless, Think whatever you want, it is your right and I respect that, but there are always 2 sides to every story, take the teammates, that's fine with me.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/14/rhodes-may-have-rejected-offers-in-march-but-hes-still-getting-no-interest-now/

Does anybody else think Sam came out of the closet to gain attention to himself?

Because his combine numbers say he's a 7th rd/UDFA guy.

infantrycak
03-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Does anybody else think Sam came out of the closet to gain attention to himself?

Because his combine numbers say he's a 7th rd/UDFA guy.

There is a thread for Sam in the NSZ.

drs23
03-03-2014, 08:44 PM

But, but what if he pulls that pistol on Rick? :kitten:

infantrycak
03-04-2014, 10:44 AM
From PFT:

The Bills released LB Willie Jefferson, who signed with the team in January.

It doesn’t look like LB Brandon Spikes will be back with the Patriots.

WolverineFan
03-04-2014, 11:02 AM
It doesnt look like LB Brandon Spikes will be back with the Patriots.

They have grown tired of his constant off the field problems and his behavior toward coaches/management. They haven't even spoken to him about a new contract. He gone.

BullNation4Life
03-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Would like to see D'Qwell Jackson next to Cushing for the right price...

CloakNNNdagger
03-04-2014, 10:06 PM
FYI, Wade Smith has let the Texans know that he wants to return this season and eventually retire as a Texan. Meanwhile, it should not be any surprise that earlier this year, he underwent another "little procedure" on his bone bruised knee........and his other knee. Let's hurry up and sign him up before he changes his mind.:shots:

Dutchrudder
03-04-2014, 10:26 PM

Dqwell Jackson is a terrible 3-4 ILB.

BullNation4Life
03-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Dqwell Jackson is a terrible 3-4 ILB.

Oh, wait what..what I meant to say was that if I see Dqwell Jackson on this team next year....I am going to riot....

That's...that's what I meant....

aussie_texan
03-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Oh, wait what..what I meant to say was that if I see Dqwell Jackson on this team next year....I am going to riot....

That's...that's what I meant....

http://www.stevensonadvertising.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/fry-squint.jpg

Nitrofish
03-07-2014, 02:59 AM

D'Qwell Jackson, Indianapolis Colts strike contract

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331175/article/dqwell-jackson-indianapolis-colts-strike-contract

I don't think Texans could afford that do you?

Troy Chapman
03-07-2014, 08:54 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331175/article/dqwell-jackson-indianapolis-colts-strike-contract

Nope and I wouldn't have wanted to pay that much guaranteed money either.

DX-TEX
03-07-2014, 11:29 AM

Good. Read he is a liability in pass coverage. Hopefully BOB will do to him what the Pats did to our ILB's in pass coverage.

Brandon420tx
03-07-2014, 08:27 PM
DARREN SPROLES!!!! .... He's available.

Edit: it's not official yet. Saints still try to trade him apparently

aussie_texan
03-07-2014, 11:52 PM
i would try to get perhaps 2 of these, geoff schwartz, austin howard and zach strief.

i would really like to get schwartz as he can play either guard or RT, which should help our depth tremendously

infantrycak
03-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Ten best free-agent bargains (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331310/article/ten-best-freeagent-bargains?campaign=Facebook_atl_wesseling) - includes Garrett Graham

Top 10 players who will be overpaid (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331318/article/top-10-players-who-will-be-overpaid-in-free-agency) - includes Ben Tate

CloakNNNdagger
03-08-2014, 10:31 AM
From PFT>Ben Tate...I am the greatest.

After four years in Houston, Tate plans to become one of the top running backs in the league.

I think I can bring you an elite running back, Tate told Mark Berman of FOX 26 in Houston. Ive learned a lot being behind Arian [Foster]. Definitely, when Im healthy I think Im an elite running back in this league, and I feel like I can show my abilities and my numbers and my play will speak for itself, and guys will be able to see that I am a guy who is a top-five running back in this league, which I believe once I get out there and get to show that on a consistent basis.

Tate ranks as the best available running back on lists like this one, and this one, and oh lets see this one. He values the recognition.

It lets me know that my hard work hasnt gone unnoticed, Tate said. Even with my limited, I guess you would say my limited amount of snaps and my limited amount of being able to be out there and play, that my talent is still recognized. Its very much appreciated.

Tate says he has come to terms with the fact that hell have to leave
Houston.

I have, I have, Tate said. Im very grateful for the Texans selecting me and giving me an opportunity coming out of college. Without a doubt Im very grateful for that. I just see it as a chapter closing in my life and opening a new chapter.

The old chapter consisted of 1,992 yards in three seasons with the team, after breaking an ankle in the preseason opener of his rookie season. In 2011, he gained 942 yards, averaging 5.4 yards per carry.

Its unclear whether his potential production will result in a major payday. In recent years, veteran tailbacks receive roughly $3 million to $4 million per year. Few running backs get much more than that, because teams tend to skew younger at the tailback position. When the 2014 season starts, Tate will be 26.

Playoffs
03-08-2014, 10:36 AM

Very good outside stretch runner. Hope he gets paid.

thunderkyss
03-08-2014, 12:38 PM

Damn..... didn't see this & I started it in it's own thread.

Number19
03-08-2014, 12:47 PM
With free agent signings starting next week, the Texans supposedly are in the market for a veteran QB. As of today, there seems to be only two that I think we should consider:

Kellen Clemens, 31, St Louis, 6'-2"/224 lbs (78.8 QB rating, 8 TD's, 7 INT's);
Matt Flynn, 29, Green Bay, 6'-2"/230 lbs (85.7 QB rating, 8 TD's, 5 INT's)

(edit) Flynn is a Texas boy from Tyler. Might want to come back closer to home.

Number19
03-08-2014, 01:29 PM
I have Flynn listed as an UFA, on what I thought was a current list. But now I see he signed with GB last November. What is his current status?

infantrycak
03-08-2014, 01:47 PM
I have Flynn listed as an UFA, on what I thought was a current list. But now I see he signed with GB last November. What is his current status?

He signed a 1 year deal last year. He is ufa.

Brandon420tx
03-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Geoff Shwartz plz. Anthony Collins would be nice.

Plus there is a plethora of very good talent at running back available due to injury, team situation, and whatever else. Personally I want MJD, but theres also McFadden, Sproles, and Moreno, Andre Brown is another one, and I'd settle for Gerhart too.

Playoffs
03-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Louis Riddick @LRiddickESPN
Quick study of the avg yds/rush given up between the guards by the #Texans in '13, combined with tape (see vs #49ers 10/6/13) = need NT/MLB.

Have to get stronger down the middle. HAVE to. #Texans

They need a big-time hammer in the middle on 1st/2nd down. Have to think they take a long look at Brandon Spikes. #Texans

mussop
03-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Geoff Shwartz plz. Anthony Collins would be nice.

Plus there is a plethora of very good talent at running back available due to injury, team situation, and whatever else. Personally I want MJD, but theres also McFadden, Sproles, and Moreno, Andre Brown is another one, and I'd settle for Gerhart too.

Yes to Swartz. I think we really need a solid backup. I'm worried not only about Fosters physical health but his mental health as well. He's never struck me as a serious off season hard worker anyway. With all that is going on in his personal life I can't imagine him being really ready for the grind of the season.

P.S. I think you meant Donald Brown of the colts right?

ObsiWan
03-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Louis Riddick @LRiddickESPNQuick study of the avg yds/rush given up between the guards by the #Texans in '13, combined with tape (see vs #49ers 10/6/13) = need NT/MLB.

Have to get stronger down the middle. HAVE to. #Texans

They need a big-time hammer in the middle on 1st/2nd down. Have to think they take a long look at Brandon Spikes. #Texans

how much should we pay a 31-year old, two-down ILB?
Is there no one in the draft we can pick up?

I'm just askin'

Hottoddie
03-09-2014, 05:16 AM
how much should we pay a 31-year old, two-down ILB?

I'm just askin'

Shane Skov

CloakNNNdagger
03-09-2014, 06:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiQPZ3kCIAAZXQV.jpg:large

Ron Hatfield @SHSBulldog00

Darren Sproles was in Houston tonight talking with former Houston DT Travis Johnson about the Texans.
11:43 PM - 8 Mar 2014

Now there's a healthy meal!

ObsiWan
03-09-2014, 06:49 PM

did you take this Doc?

Playoffs
03-09-2014, 06:55 PM
how much should we pay a 31-year old, two-down ILB?Spikes is 26, playing for Patriots. Pretty good player.

Sounds like he was either a bit of a problem or not a coach's favorite:

Brandon Spikes eager to move on (http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/03/brandon_spikes_eager_to_move_on)

edit: I remember this now, he posted a pic of his car stuck in snow & missed practice... Pats IR'd him. Pretty intelligent sounding guy, actually: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331617/article/patriots-brandon-spikes-time-for-a-fresh-start

Sure, but we have more needs than picks so it'd be good to fill a few with middle-of-the-road FAs if we can.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
03-09-2014, 10:47 PM
Forget Brandon Spikes, Perry Riley.... Sign me up

Your man... Pots and pans

bah007
03-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Forget Brandon Spikes, Perry Riley.... Sign me up

I think Riley would be a great option next to Cushing. Not a huge fan of Spikes.

CloakNNNdagger
03-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Jason Babin just voided his last two contract years..........he's a FA again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/10/jason-babin-voids-final-two-years-of-contract-now-a-free-agent/

Allstar
03-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 7m

Texans sniffing around in free agency on offensive side of the ball according to source. The name I'm hearing wouldn't have fit with Kubiak

Troy Chapman
03-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 7m

Dexter McCluster

powda
03-10-2014, 04:46 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/10/after-talking-pay-cut-giants-to-release-center-david-baas/

Could we plug baas in at LG?

CloakNNNdagger
03-10-2014, 07:05 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/10/after-talking-pay-cut-giants-to-release-center-david-baas/

Could we plug baas in at LG?

In the 2010 training camp, Bass suffered a significant concussion. Near the end of the 2010 season, Bass suffered what was misdiagnosed initial as a jaw injury. The next week he was determined to have suffered another concussion and missed a game. The last game of the season, he suffered a rib injury but managed to return to the game and finally end the season

In the 2011 season, Bass missed several games due to headaches, then later neck issues came into question (cervical discs can cause very severe headaches).

In the 2013 offseason, he underwent surgery for elbow bone spurs. Even earlier in this offseason Bass underwent a surgery that was only identified by Coughlin as "a little surgery on his body" which was most likely a minimally-invasive cervical disc surgery.

In the 2nd game of the 2013 preseason he suffered a "sprain of his MCL," which caused him to miss a couple of regular season games. He then had recurrence of neck problems leading to 3 missed games, but managed to avoid season-ending surgery. Unfortunately, he re-injured his MCL the first drive of the first game in which he returned. From there, he was placed on IR at the end of the season. In the addition to the above, Bass intermittently dealt with hip and shoulder problems in the 2013 season.
He has subsequently undergone knee surgery for the injury that cut his 2013 season short........he is still "recovering." There is also a question as to if Bass has not also had a neck procedure during his post IR period.

He's essentially missed 18 games in 3 seasons.

Do I still hear a bid?

powda
03-10-2014, 08:04 PM
In the 2010 training camp, Bass suffered a significant concussion. Near the end of the 2010 season, Bass suffered what was misdiagnosed initial as a jaw injury. The next week he was determined to have suffered another concussion and missed a game. The last game of the season, he suffered a rib injury but managed to return to the game and finally end the season

In the 2011 season, Bass missed several games due to headaches, then later neck issues came into question (cervical discs can cause very severe headaches).

In the 2013 offseason, elbow bone spurs. Even earlier in this offseason Bass underwent a surgery that was only identified by Coughlin as "a little surgery on his body" which was most likely a minimally-invasive cervical disc surgery.

In the 2nd game of the 2013 preseason he suffered a "sprain of his MCL," which caused him to miss a couple of regular season games. He then had recurrence of neck problems leading to 3 missed games, but managed to avoid season-ending surgery. Unfortunately, he re-injured his MCL the first drive of the first game in which he returned. From there, he was placed on IR at the end of the season. In the addition to the above, Bass intermittently dealt with hip and shoulder problems in the 2013 season.
He has subsequently undergone knee surgery for the injury that cut his 2013 season short........he is still "recovering." There is also a question as to if Bass has not also had a neck procedure during his post IR period.

He's essentially missed 18 games in 3 seasons.

Do I still hear a bid?

No. Thanks c&d. I absolutely loved this guy comming out of college , but I was unaware of his VAST injury history. Figured he was competent and reasonably priced...but now I want no part of him.

ObsiWan
03-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Spikes is 26, playing for Patriots. Pretty good player.

Sounds like he was either a bit of a problem or not a coach's favorite:

Brandon Spikes eager to move on (http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/03/brandon_spikes_eager_to_move_on)

edit: I remember this now, he posted a pic of his car stuck in snow & missed practice... Pats IR'd him. Pretty intelligent sounding guy, actually: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331617/article/patriots-brandon-spikes-time-for-a-fresh-start

Sure, but we have more needs than picks so it'd be good to fill a few with middle-of-the-road FAs if we can.
Oops... I looked up the wrong Spikes.

ESPN Insider eval...
A thumper against the run, Spikes is among the most physical and violent downfield linebackers in the NFL. He is speed deficient and a liability in pass coverage, however, with some maturity and character concerns as well. Overall, he's an impact run-defender who is not suited to play in sub packages, which could lead to a reduced payday. He has never played every game in a season during his four-year career.
Sounds a lot like Sharpton to me.

infantrycak
03-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Sounds a lot like Sharpton to me.

He's more like a better Mays.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
03-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Perry Riley should be our guy

leebigeztx
03-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Perry Riley should be our guy

I liked him coming out. Thought texans would draft him. washington will probably resign him with the cap room they have. I like riley,spikes and dudes like that, but I'm more inclined to draft guys like that

Uncle Rico
03-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Darelle Revis?

TheMatrix31
03-11-2014, 12:43 AM
How much money do we have?

leebigeztx
03-11-2014, 01:59 AM
How much money do we have?

9.1m

thetexanator
03-11-2014, 09:35 AM
my sources are telling me that the texans are interested in dexter mccluster. sources have confirmed that they see mccluster being a fit for texans coach bill obrien, and that he could be used as a shane vereen type of weapon out of the backfield.

TheIronDuke
03-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I listened to LZ this morning too. Looks like McCluster is likely to be signed.

Troy Chapman
03-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Couple of Houston beat writers have shot down the McCluster deal.

More:
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 48s
Here's a Tuesday morning rumor for you: Sounds like Dexter McCluster is expected to follow Ray Farmer to the #Browns.

CloakNNNdagger
03-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Mcluster certainly had a great year last year. Would fit the slot and punt return void. Funny that his 40 is only 4.58.

DX-TEX
03-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 56m
#Texans might've had interest in Dexter McCluster as @LanceZierlein said, but I'm told he won't be coming. Sorry to crush your hopes, dreams

...sigh...

I just want someone cut. Anybody at this point please.

_King_
03-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Brice McCain just got released.

HOU-TEX
03-11-2014, 11:05 AM
I think Riley would be a great option next to Cushing. Not a huge fan of Spikes.

Re-signed with the Skins

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 12m
Redskins announce Perry Riley deal

HOU-TEX
03-11-2014, 11:17 AM
5-6 teams have inquired about Graham. Bucs seem to be the front runner

ObsiWan
03-11-2014, 11:27 AM
...sigh...

I just want someone cut. Anybody at this point please.
wow, such Schadenfreude
what's the rush?

DX-TEX
03-11-2014, 11:28 AM
wow, such Schadenfreude
what's the rush?

Boredom.

infantrycak
03-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Boredom.

Don't any of your neighbors have an annoying yappy dog?

Just saying.

Playoffs
03-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Newton $1.389mil savings. $15K dead. Yates $645K savings, $46K dead. RT @rookitt: How much $?

Myers $3mil w/ $4mil in dead money. Manning $4.5mil w/ only $1.5 Dead RT @rookitt: How much $?

Joseph $3.75mil. $7.5mil in dead money. The other possible June 1 cut RT @rookitt: How much $?

Schaub $3.625mil but $10.5 mil in dead. Could be post June 1st RT @rookitt: How much $?

Other possible Texans' cuts that could come today: Schaub, Myers, Manning, Newton, Yates, & possibly Joseph.

_King_
03-11-2014, 12:32 PM

Newton should be like a no brainer...

DX-TEX
03-11-2014, 12:33 PM

Blood. Blood everywhere

infantrycak
03-11-2014, 03:00 PM
It appears the Raiders will not be keeping two guys who would be huge at Texans' holes - LT Veldheer who they think would be better at RT and 6'3" 300 lb run stuffing DE Lamarr Houston. Worth exploring the price on both of them.

HOU-TEX
03-11-2014, 03:05 PM
It appears the Raiders will not be keeping two guys who would be huge at Texans' holes - LT Veldheer who they think would be better at RT and 6'3" 300 lb run stuffing DE Lamarr Houston. Worth exploring the price on both of them.

I saw that too. Interested to see what $ they'll bring

I guess it was a system thing as to why they're letting them walk. They've got a beaucoup of dough to spend

BigB0iFresh
03-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Veldheer is close to signing with the Cardinals I think.

WolverineFan
03-11-2014, 03:07 PM

Most reports have Veldheer to the Cardinals very soon and Houston going to the Bears.

_King_
03-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Most reports have Veldheer to the Cardinals very soon and Houston going to the Bears.

Wonder what they're signing for...

I agree with cak that both those guys would have been nice additions..

mussop
03-11-2014, 04:16 PM
Reports are Mitchell is visiting dolphins should sign. Thank god!

PHILLYTEXANFAN
03-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Reports are Mitchell is visiting dolphins should sign. Thank god!

4 years 16 mil with phins per Adam schefter twitter

mussop
03-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Newton should be like a no brainer...

I would like to see him at guard before letting him go. But never ever at OT again.

TheMatrix31
03-11-2014, 04:21 PM
McCluster to Tennessee. Good, I don't want that guy. Not very happy Tennessee got him but I still don't want him.

HOU-TEX
03-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Rick Smith must be out playing tennis

False Start
03-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Brice McCain just got released.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/2350950-4467039625-appla.gif

TheMatrix31
03-11-2014, 04:52 PM

Because we haven't signed anyone in the first 52 MINUTES?

C'mon now.

TexansFight
03-11-2014, 05:09 PM

C'mon now.

I have no faith in Rick Smith whatsoever. Until he is fired or reassigned, I hope he gets marginalized as much as possible by the new coach. Texian succinctly states the case against this guy. Our hands are tied and we can't address needs adequately because of his mismanagement.

Playoffs
03-11-2014, 05:09 PM
HeydidanybodyhearabouttheTexansfreeagentmaybeguy?? ?

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro 27m
Houston is the second stop on the Josh McCown world tour: http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/source-mccown-set-visit-texans-after-bucs #Texans
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 24m
Confirmed: After visit in Tampa, QB Josh McCown will visit #Texans. http://bit.ly/1nhDYqs
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 13m
QB Josh McCown schedules Houston visit: Plenty of questions remain about how the Houston Texans will a... http://es.pn/1ix2r4X #Texans
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 29m
Texans haven't done anything with Matt Schaub but will meet with Josh McCown after he visits Tampa Bay.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 31m
Confirmed: Free agent QB Josh McCown will visit Tampa and then he will visit with the Texans.
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 40m
Confirmed Josh McCown will visit #Texans after his visit with Tampa.
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro 41m
As others have said, Josh McCown will be visiting with the #Texans after the Bucs, per source.
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 56m
Josh McCown who's 34 will meet with the #Texans (per @RapSheet) In 8 games last year in Chicago McCown threw 13 TD's to 1 INT
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 59m
Quarterback Josh McCown is headed to Tampa first, then Houston and to the Jets for visits, as @JasonLaCanfora reported. #Texans
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock 1h
Texans 2nd visit MT @JasonLaCanfora: McCown will make his first visit to TB (good chance something happens there). Then Houston and NY Jets

PDS ‏@PatDStat 2m
Also do not forget the #Texans have priority in the waiver wire until the start of the season. Can easily find depth parts there too.
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-19259-so-I-got-that-going-for-me-whi-sLmj.gif

gwallaia
03-11-2014, 05:13 PM
This is probably old news by now, I just found out Dallas released Damarcus Ware.

Malloy
03-11-2014, 05:16 PM
I would be good with McCown :)

infantrycak
03-11-2014, 05:22 PM
This is probably old news by now, I just found out Dallas released Damarcus Ware.

That's in the free agent tracker thread in the NFL Forum.

msbbc833
03-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Lots of signings going on, and it looks as though we are out Ninja, Mitchell, OD and probably more. I know that most teams that go out and spend big $$$$ in FA usually don't do well, but I have zero faith in Rick Smith who should have already done a lot of homework and hopefully start finding some good players. It is not going to be possible to fill all our needs solely in the draft.

CloakNNNdagger
03-11-2014, 05:59 PM
John Clayton ‏@ClaytonESPN 25m

So far 26 unrestricted free agents have moved to different teams in the first 90 minutes of free agency...

CloakNNNdagger
03-11-2014, 06:00 PM
San Francisco 49ers ‏@49ers 27m

#49ers have acquired QB Blaine Gabbert in a trade with Jacksonville. STORY: http://49rs.me/1hawGgV pic.twitter.com/TLDaUzTSHm...

Playoffs
03-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1
Houston rumored to be one of teams interested in Chris Williams.
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
no in depth talks. at least not yet

T turned G playing for Rams, drafted by Bears before Duane Brown.

Denver rumored to have interest, maybe Pats.

HOU-TEX
03-11-2014, 06:08 PM

C'mon now.

:spit: I'm kidding, man.

aussie_texan
03-11-2014, 06:19 PM
apparently we went after tyson jackson but backed away when we realised what he was after. he got a massive contract by atlanta

aussie_texan
03-11-2014, 06:22 PM
some huge contracts being handed out to some players who dont equate to that value.
FO is waiting for the 2nd round of FA to get good players at good values.

havnt heard any news on DRC, wonder if he could be had for something cheaper??

Allstar
03-11-2014, 06:44 PM
I probably misheard him, but I thought I heard Ian Rapaport list the Texans among the teams interested in Decker. Did a quick google and didn't see anything supporting this, so take it for what it's worth.

Playoffs
03-11-2014, 06:46 PM
I probably misheard him, but I thought I heard Ian Rapaport list the Texans among the teams interested in Decker. Did a quick google and didn't see anything supporting this, so take it for what it's worth.

He said it. Could be just agent talk.

Hottoddie
03-11-2014, 07:56 PM

This is part of Rick's new strategy. Since he discovered this thing called compensatory picks, he's decided that's the best way to acquire more picks without screwing everything up. Besides, he's only losing old people. :pissed:

drs23
03-11-2014, 08:08 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiQPZ3kCIAAZXQV.jpg:large

Not to mention a BIG ASS FORK! DAYUM! Is that leverage or what???

RazorOye
03-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Not to mention a BIG ASS FORK! DAYUM! Is that leverage or what???

offer us a 5th for Sproles and he's all yours and we both leave happy :)

drs23
03-11-2014, 08:21 PM

I like the sound of that. If I could have only one, Houston would be my *pots-n-pans*.

(did I do that right?) :D

drs23
03-11-2014, 08:31 PM
offer us a 5th for Sproles and he's all yours and we both leave happy :)

Done Deal. Crown, Black Jack, Petron...Name your 5th of choice. :D

RazorOye
03-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Done Deal. Crown, Black Jack, Petron...Name your 5th of choice. :D

I'm partial to gin... and I'd take it :)

CloakNNNdagger
03-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Also interesting to find out the Kevin Walter was released having failed his physical due to back problems.

thunderkyss
03-11-2014, 09:52 PM
This is part of Rick's new strategy. Since he discovered this thing called compensatory picks, he's decided that's the best way to acquire more picks without screwing everything up. Besides, he's only losing old people. :pissed:

Rick's putting a lot of pressure on Schaub to renegotiate.

CloakNNNdagger
03-12-2014, 12:09 AM
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock 48m

Worst deal of the day! MT @AdamSchefter: Denver has reached agreement on a 6-year, $57M - $26M gtd with former Patriots CB Aqib Talib

I'm lmao at this deal. Talib has never played a 16 game season..........he has missed 25 games in 3 years.

steelbtexan
03-12-2014, 12:43 AM
Lots of signings going on, and it looks as though we are out Ninja, Mitchell, OD and probably more. I know that most teams that go out and spend big $$$$ in FA usually don't do well, but I have zero faith in Rick Smith who should have already done a lot of homework and hopefully start finding some good players. It is not going to be possible to fill all our needs solely in the draft.

Denver/Philly/SF/Sea/Indy/K.C. etc.... you know the teams that were in the playoffs last yr, dont appear to be having these issues.

Looks like the dog must have eaten Slick Rick's homework. Oh well there's always the draft, that's Slick's strength.

TheMatrix31
03-12-2014, 02:17 AM
It's. Been. Ten. Hours.

Nitrofish
03-12-2014, 02:43 AM
I haven't seen it, but maybe I missed it. Why is there no interest from the fans in an ILB like Daryl Smith?

CloakNNNdagger
03-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 9m

Earl Mitchell gets $5M in first year from #Dolphins, plus $3M gtd one way or another in 2015 (either base or roster bonus). 4 years, $19M.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 14m

Eagles signed formerTexans LB Bryan Braman to a two-year, $3.15 million deal, including $1 million guarnteeed via @seanstellato....

Playoffs
03-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Gil Arcia ‏@GilArciaTBC
"Very good chance" #Bucs are signing LT Anthony Collins, QB Josh McCown. http://wp.me/p2ywbk-1wF

TheMatrix31
03-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Thank goodness. McCown is worthless.

infantrycak
03-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Gil Arcia ‏@GilArciaTBC

Sign the deal Josh.

Wish the Texans would take a run at Steve Smith when he is cut by Panthers. He's going to get $3 mil from them with no offset.

MightyTExan
03-12-2014, 02:42 PM
http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1378/85/1378853178811.gif

:cricket:

03-12-2014, 02:43 PM
McCown has signed with the Bucs for 2 years.

HOU-TEX
03-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Welp, both of 2013's NTs are gone with no replacements. Man, we're going to have a boatload of holes to fill. By the way FA looks, it will be with rookies and JAGs.

HOU-TEX
03-12-2014, 04:25 PM
What happens to reporters who cover the Texans in FA

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 13m
Text from @JPalmerCSN: "Nothing is happening. This is boring." #Texans

TheRealJoker
03-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Welp, both of 2013's NTs are gone with no replacements. Man, we're going to have a boatload of holes to fill. By the way FA looks, it will be with rookies and JAGs.

It's good that we don't have NTs coming back this year that do not fit our scheme.

PapaL
03-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Browns release QBs Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell; LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24479937/browns-release-qb-brandon-weeden)

TexansFight
03-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Rick Smith needs to be fired immediately. This crappy team is getting worse and he is not lifting a finger to get us better. Does this idiot think we have 20 draft picks this year?

How the hell are we going to fill these holes. Are we going to have half our team be UDFA making the minimum?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TexansFTW
03-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Any good O Tackles left in FA anyone would like?

Are Breno G and Anthony Collins as good as signed?

I'm all about Zach Strief. Anyone think we can land that dude for a few years?

Then there is still Michael Oher, Eric Winston or maybe even Tyson Clabo. Definitely prefer Strief though.

The1ApplePie
03-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Wondering if Ziggy Hood would be an affordable Antonio replacement. Thought about Tyson Jackson, but he is already gone.

Terrance Cody's big fat ass will hopefully come to town.

I can guess that BJ Raji ain't in the Texans price range

ObsiWan
03-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Rick Smith needs to be fired immediately. This crappy team is getting worse and he is not lifting a finger to get us better. Does this idiot think we have 20 draft picks this year?

How the hell are we going to fill these holes. Are we going to have half our team be UDFA making the minimum?

The teams that do "door buster shopping" in free agency nearly always pay too damned much. Unless there's someone we just HAVE to HAVE in free agency it's better to wait until that first wave of panic buyers subsides and then get who's left at a much more reasonable price.

Remember by not panic buying, we got J-Jo and D. Manning for what Asomugha would have cost us.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/pcp2_production/system/blog_photos/images/000/003/298/large/dragonfly20130306-2-d4x4n5.jpg?1362557672

seems like I get to use this every year
:D

DX-TEX
03-12-2014, 05:52 PM
My theory: McClain is a mouthpiece for the Texans FO right now. Drive up Schaubs value and get someone (Browns, Jets, raiders) to trade for him. Moment that happens there will be at least 2-3 quick signings

silentassassin
03-12-2014, 06:13 PM

We're in day 2 of free agency. Relax.

TexansFight
03-12-2014, 06:32 PM
We're in day 2 of free agency. Relax.

How the hell am I supposed to relax when we have Rick Smith as our GM. What has he done the past couple seasons to give you any reasonable hope that he knows what he is doing?

We had GLARING HOLES this past season. We have steadily LOST TALENT since 2011. Other than 2011, when have the Texans ever made good moves during free agency? We are always a step behind and too slow. The Texans are truly an infuriating franchise to root for. Thank God for the Rockets.

Jackie Chiles
03-12-2014, 06:42 PM
How the hell am I supposed to relax when we have Rick Smith as our GM. What has he done the past couple seasons to give you any reasonable hope that he knows what he is doing?

We had GLARING HOLES this past season. We have steadily LOST TALENT since 2011. Other than 2011, when have the Texans ever made good moves during free agency? We are always a step behind and too slow. The Texans are truly an infuriating franchise to root for. Thank God for the Rockets.

Ever heard the saying that day 1 of NFL free agency is the dumbest day of the year?