PDA

View Full Version : Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator

Playoffs
01-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Wade Phillips would like to remain with Texans as defensive coordinator (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/01/wade-phillips-would-like-to-remain-with-texans-as-defensive-coordinator/)
Reached in Dallas where he spent New Year’s Eve with family members, Phillips said Smith “let me know they hired Bill O’Brien. We’re all supposed to come in next week and see what our status is.”

Phillips, whose contract runs through the 2014 season, said he’d like to remain with the Texans as defensive coordinator. However, he admitted the fact that he doesn’t know O’Brien doesn’t favor his chances.

“I don’t know what they’re feeling is, not knowing the guy,” he said. “Usually when somebody gets a job and you don’t know anything, you’re probably not involved. But I don’t know that for a fact...”

eriadoc
01-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Sorry, Son of Bum. Your defense sucked this year. Any hope we had of the team eking out a win with you as interim HC went away in the first half of your first game. As your Pa said, coaches are hired to be fired.

badboy
01-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Thanks for memories and have a good life, bye.

Trap_Star
01-01-2014, 07:04 PM
hey wade...come here, bruh, let me holla at you for a sec....

GTFOHWTS!

bOODRO87
01-01-2014, 07:07 PM
I'm so tired of seeing our CB's chase WRs. So long, Pillsbury.

IlliniJen
01-01-2014, 07:08 PM
No thank you. Our defense was as stale as our offense...the game has passed Wade by.

Honoring Earl 34
01-01-2014, 07:10 PM
No thank you. Our defense was as stale as our offense...the game has passed Wade by.

Yep .... it is getting grandpa to find a movie off netflix via the computer to the bigscreen .

Brisco_County
01-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Are you really going to start venting on the guy that brought us JJ Watt and two years of really good defense?

chicagotexan2
01-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Thanks but no thanks wade.

Texn4life
01-01-2014, 07:21 PM
The fact that Wade never made adjustments when offenses adjusted to him sealed his fate. I respect this guy so much, but its time to move on.

Corrosion
01-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Sorry, Son of Bum. Your defense sucked this year. Any hope we had of the team eking out a win with you as interim HC went away in the first half of your first game. As your Pa said, coaches are hired to be fired.

Yeah they were awful & couldn't force any turnovers.

Thing is they were still "statistically" #7 in total defense & #3 in pass defense .... despite the loss of Cushing & Manning and the Ed Reed debacle as well as the NFL record for fewest TO's forced in a season.

To be honest , I wouldn't mind Son of Bum sticking around another year .... that turnover record was an anomaly and was a big part of their failures. They just didn't have many balls bounce their way.

They were actually pretty good on 3rd down percentages .... 35% which was good for 8th in the NFL.
That pathetic excuse for an offense sure didn't do them any favors either ....

The one thing that does bother me is the high volume of long scoring drives they gave up. Part of that was losing Cushing early in the season. When you take away a guy that talented from any defense they are going to suffer.

You look at the play of the DB's especially Jackson and J.Jo .... they more often than not had good coverage / position and just didn't come away with enough plays made. McCain was pathetic ....

Its not likely this team is playoff bound next year unless they pull off a miracle and find a solution to the QB spot , Im not against Wade being given the year to fix what was broken defensively.

Goatcheese
01-01-2014, 07:34 PM
A new HC has to have freedom to bring in his own staff. Don't Marciano BOB before he even gets here.

People are off base with this nonsense about the league suddenly figuring out systems in one season that have worked for 20+ years. And not just a team here or there, but every team just suddenly understood and countered Kubiak and Wade. Think about how absurd that sounds.

Which sounds more likely:
A. every team in the league spontaneously adapted as some sort of hive mind
B. the Texans just played and coached poorly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDa6qc93nNs

Texn4life
01-01-2014, 07:42 PM
A new HC has to have freedom to bring in his own staff. Don't Marciano BOB before he even gets here.

People are off base with this nonsense about the league suddenly figuring out systems in one season that have worked for 20+ years. And not just a team here or there, but every team just suddenly understood and countered Kubiak and Wade. Think about how absurd that sounds.

Which sounds more likely:
A. every team in the league spontaneously adapted as some sort of hive mind
B. the Texans just played and coached poorly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDa6qc93nNs

So the fact that top notch QBs consistently torched Wade doesn't concern you? I mean Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady don't have the kinds of games they did against the Texans against everyone. Could it be our players sucked that much those games? I guess if someone wants to believe it then its possible.

My reasoning for not wanting him back is based strictly on that. He's going to have to go through the Mannings and Bradys and Lucks. I don't have confidence in him to do that. The players play, but the coaches also have to put them in position to do so.

Playoffs
01-01-2014, 07:42 PM
To be honest , I wouldn't mind Son of Bum sticking around another year ....

It would certainly be the "odd couple" personality wise. Not sure if that would make for a good balance or a clash. :hmmm:

Goatcheese
01-01-2014, 07:59 PM
So the fact that top notch QBs consistently torched Wade doesn't concern you? I mean Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady don't have the kinds of games they did against the Texans against everyone. Could it be our players sucked that much those games? I guess if someone wants to believe it then its possible.

My reasoning for not wanting him back is based strictly on that. He's going to have to go through the Mannings and Bradys and Lucks. I don't have confidence in him to do that. The players play, but the coaches also have to put them in position to do so.

So your argument is that the system is completely worthless and outdated because 3 games out of 36 saw elite QBs go off? The system held down plenty of elite QBs over that period, including Manning. I guess the eventual Super Bowl Champion Ravens defense was garbage because Schaub and the Texans hung a fourtyburger on them earlier that season.

The whole team stunk it up this year. That has nothing to do with systems.

Let BOB pick his staff, whether that's Wade or anybody else. He needs to have that freedom without McNair trying to handcuff him with the good old boys club before he even signs his contract.

Texn4life
01-01-2014, 08:06 PM
So your argument is that the system is completely worthless and outdated because 3 games out of 36 saw elite QBs go off? The system held down plenty of elite QBs over that period, including Manning. I guess the eventual Super Bowl Champion Ravens defense was garbage because Schaub and the Texans hung a fourtyburger on them earlier that season.

The whole team stunk it up this year. That has nothing to do with systems.

Let BOB pick his staff, whether that's Wade or anybody else. He needs to have that freedom without McNair trying to handcuff him with the good old boys club before he even signs his contract.

Never said his system was worthless. I said he failed to make adjustments in game. And I wouldn't say we shut Manning down. We had to sweat it out to win that one game. I really can't think of any ELITE QB that we ever shut down. Brees lit us up, Rodgers lit us up, Manning lit us up twice, Brady lit us up three times.

Were there moments in those games when the defense was ok? Sure, but like I said they eventually made adjustments to what we were doing on defense and we had no answer.

Look, I understand what you're saying but there were just too many big games for me where the defense struggled. I wouldn't be throwing stuff if he was brought back, but I just think its time to move on.

kingtexan
01-01-2014, 08:18 PM
The league has caught up to his schemes.

He's gone.

Maybe he would want to coach U of H.

Texn4life
01-01-2014, 08:20 PM
The league has caught up to his schemes.

He's gone.

Maybe he would want to coach U of H.

I'll do you one better...... I bet A&M would kill to have him coaching them up after watching that defense this year.

PapaL
01-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Just say no to Wade. You don't clean house and leave the steaming pile of garbage in the kitchen.

Texan_Bill
01-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Some of you people are ridiculous!!!

His defense doesn't work without guys like, hmmmmm, :thinking: Oh I dunno Brian Cushing, a safety named Daniel Manning and / or a corner named Jonathan Joseph...

What the defense needs, is depth. Not a new coordinator. Hopefully, new HC Bill O'Brien recognizes that and gives the defense some draft choices. After all, O'Brien is an offensive guy, and yes, we need a QB. That said, let's get some depth at LB. Let's DEFINITELY get depth in the secondary.

Me personally, I would be okay if he stayed on board.

Mari-OWNED!
01-01-2014, 08:29 PM
As much as I like Wade the person, it's time for him to go. Hell it's time for the entire Kubiak coaching staff to be purged of. Let O'Brien bring in his own guys.

Marcus
01-01-2014, 08:36 PM
It's amazing how fast you go from being a very good DC to a very bad DC in just one year, huh?

DX-TEX
01-01-2014, 08:38 PM
No. Just no.

Dutchrudder
01-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Yeah, well people in hell want ice water.

burro
01-01-2014, 08:52 PM
I don't think O'Brien would have the patience for Wade's deer in the headlights method of in game adjustment or his buddy-buddy relationship with players. If we were going for an attitude adjustment with the O'Brien hire then it only makes sense for Wade to go as well.

TheIronDuke
01-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Worst defense in NFL history in takeaways and worst redzone defense in the NFL this year. Never made adjustments against NE in 3 games. I would be pissed if Wade comes back, his defense sucks.

Thorn
01-01-2014, 08:57 PM
In defense of Wade, he's playing with left overs after all the injuries. However, I voted I didn't want him back. It's a moot point anyway, O'Brian will bring in his own staff.

PapaL
01-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Every team has injuries. Every single damn team. How many fall apart like we have when Cush went down?

We have arguably the best defensive player in league....and? Where's the pressure? Where's the coverage? Where's the tackling?

Just like the **** storm that was the offense, the defense needs to go. We had one good year, the first, after that its been meh and blah.

Pantherstang84
01-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Worst defense in NFL history in takeaways and worst redzone defense in the NFL this year. Never made adjustments against NE in 3 games. I would be pissed if Wade comes back, his defense sucks.

At the end of the day it not your or any of the Internet tough guys in this threads call. It is O'Brien's. If he wants Wade to stick around then that is what it will be and then you can go cry in your milk about it. O'Brien gets to pick his own staff and it is his call whether Wade is DC or not. If he tells Wade to take a hike then Wade is gone.:toropalm:

DBCooper
01-01-2014, 09:07 PM
NE dismantled Wades D.

Man coverage all the time?

Very little adjustments.

I'm sorry but it wasn't just this year, we have been walked on by good offenses Wade's entire tenure.

What kind of teams are we gonna meet in the playoffs? Great QB's? Brilliant OC's?

No thanks.

MistaRed
01-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Time for Wade to exit stage left.

kingtexan
01-01-2014, 09:09 PM
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/iMS43HXCtjKbbx86uSeiHw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTE4NztweW9mZj0wO3E9Nz U7dz02MDA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ucomics.com/dt140101.gif

TheIronDuke
01-01-2014, 09:11 PM
At the end of the day it not your or any of the Internet tough guys in this threads call. It is O'Brien's. If he wants Wade to stick around then that is what it will be and then you can go cry in your milk about it. O'Brien gets to pick his own staff and it is his call whether Wade is DC or not. If he tells Wade to take a hike then Wade is gone.:toropalm:

Yeah, no sh1t Sherlock. I'm expressing my opinion and stating actual stats and not crying about anything.

Texan_Bill
01-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Every team has injuries. Every single damn team. How many fall apart like we have when Cush went down?

We have arguably the best defensive player in league....and? Where's the pressure? Where's the coverage? .

In addition to Cushing's way too oft injuries, what about Mannings' injury? Didn't JJo go down on IR?

Maybe it's not about the defensive scheme, maybe it's about depth.

Maybe it's about the front office. Maybe it's about the FO signing ridiculous contracts hamstringing the depth. I'm serious when I say having to rely on Shilo Keo as a safety and Brice McCain as a serious contribution to our secondary says more about the FO than it does the DC.

acal21
01-01-2014, 09:16 PM
As excited as I was to see him coming in as our defensive coordinator and not head coach is as much as I wanna see him go now

The fact that our defense couldn't force a turnover was a joke

NastyNate
01-01-2014, 09:17 PM

The question was "Should Wade Phillips be retained as Texans defensive coordinator?" and there was a poll. I believe the original poster was asking for opinions. You know, the things that people think. Perhaps you should relax, iz just football on internet! :clown:

TexansFight
01-01-2014, 09:18 PM

Preach the good word brother. I will always appreciate Wade for coming in 2011 and being the reason why we finally made the playoffs. He needs to go. Culture change. No room for Wade.

ArlingtonTexan
01-01-2014, 09:19 PM
yeah...I want to keep that job that pays a few million a year especially since I might be retired by the league even if I don't really want to retire on my own at 60thateverWadeis.

eriadoc
01-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Texans were 25th in scoring defense. So a team that ranked so highly in yardage surrendered gave up points like a bad team. They sucked in the red zone. I mean, that's putting it nicely. They were terrible in the red zone. Yeah, Schaub hurt them with the short fields on the picks, but that was before he started throwing pick sixes, so no short field. :D And that was between the defense giving up 80-99 yard drives every single game for something like the first 9 or 10 games. OK, Cushing went down. That hurts. But he went down in the KC game. That means he was out there for quite a few 90+ yard rives against them and TDs against them in the red zone.

And then there's that pesky record that Wade has of coming in, turning around a defense, and then watching it all fade away. The man does not have the ability to maintain, if we're just going by his record.

Look, I like Wade Phillips. But I liked Kubiak. Hell, I liked Dom Capers. Doesn't matter. The job is not getting done.

GuerillaBlack
01-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Sorry Wade, but your time has passed.

PapaL
01-01-2014, 09:46 PM
In addition to Cushing's way too oft injuries, what about Mannings' injury? Didn't JJo go down on IR?

Maybe it's about the front office. Maybe it's about the FO signing ridiculous contracts hamstringing the depth. I'm serious when I say having to rely on Shilo Keo as a safety and Brice McCain as a serious contribution to our secondary says more about the FO than it does the DC.

What about the DL and OLBs he wanted? Our front 7 couldn't pressure a prom date. For an attacking 3-4 all we ever did was sit back and react. It's sad when your 3-4 DE is the only one generating pressure. To me, that's a coaching failure.

Double Barrel
01-01-2014, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't scream bloody murder if Wade stayed, but I doubt it has a chance of happening with a new HC that he's never met.

Wade's defense sucked in 2013 primarily because the offense was garbage. His defense was built to pass rush when protecting an early lead. Kubi-ball strategy was to score early, and then play ball control to protect even the smallest lead. Wade's defense was never the '85 Bears that could dominate and take over games.

But I see O'Brien bringing in his own contacts. He's probably going to want guys that he's already had a working relationship with in the past, and he needs to know and trust their perspectives and tendencies as their boss. That's how the business works, and Wade's an old dog that knows all this stuff, especially the Son of Bum.

Take care, Wade! You were a big part of our first ever division titles and playoff wins, and for that, we salute you! :texflag:

badboy
01-01-2014, 09:57 PM
At the end of the day it not your or any of the Internet tough guys in this threads call. It is O'Brien's. If he wants Wade to stick around then that is what it will be and then you can go cry in your milk about it. O'Brien gets to pick his own staff and it is his call whether Wade is DC or not. If he tells Wade to take a hike then Wade is gone.:toropalm:Come on 84, don't you think we know coach makes decision? This is a message board to discuss our opinions. Not sure why you are here? Seems you'd be better off just watching games.

Mr teX
01-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Wade needs to kick rocks...its over buddy....

Texan_Bill
01-01-2014, 10:06 PM
What about the DL and OLBs he wanted? Our front 7 couldn't pressure a prom date. For an attacking 3-4 all we ever did was sit back and react. It's sad when your 3-4 DE is the only one generating pressure. To me, that's a coaching failure.

I disagree. Part of that front seven included JJ, Antonio and whatyamacallit, were fine. They provided pressure and whatnot, but with the loss of Cushing as a part of that front seven severely hurt.

YES!! We need some OLB's, without a doubt. BTW, We need depth in the secondary. It's hard to send pressure with an inferior secondary in coverage.

deucetx
01-01-2014, 10:22 PM

Joseph didn't go down til the end of the season (second to last game to exact). So only Cushing and Manning were missing. If your defensive coach can not adapt then there are issues. Some of that depth and personnel he had input on. Not to mention even when those guys were in we didn't look like killers on defense. We were inconsistent even when Cushing was there. The defense would show up a half or be shut down then suddenly allow a 90+ yard drive.

Someone else had posted it in the past and illustrated how Wade's defenses tend to drop dramatically as his tenure goes. We haven't seen anything to dispute that at this point. We can make excuses but when you have to dip into the well of excuses you have issues. Injuries happen and they will happen again next year. The NFL just had a huge amount of injuries where more players went on IR than either of the past two years. You have to adapt and produce. If you are expecting your team to be healthy an entire year then you are reaching for the stars as it is a rare occurrence.

With the new limitations on off-season workout you'll have to learn to react to the injuries and your depth. Wade did not. I appreciate all he did but acting as if the defense was not an issue and it is solely because of injuries is just a stretch. And the fact he could not adjust to the situation is not promising. That is what a coach is about. Everything will not go according to plan. It is your coach's job to help choose that depth and to develop that depth.

Norg
01-01-2014, 10:32 PM
I don't know what BOB wants to do prob bring in people he knows or likes but isnt that the same mastike we made with KUbes let him bring his friends on the Def side of the ball

Its not like we are making the playoffs this year anyways so I could see a scerino were mcnair would want to save money and keep Son of bum and his staff for the D and bob runs the O

Mr. White
01-01-2014, 10:58 PM
I voted yes but I'm not going to lose any sleep either way.

Wade is one of the better DC's in the league. I think the defense would be good if we had an offense that could hang on to the ball.

Having said that, I think the head coach should always be the guy to pick his staff. Otherwise, then we're the Dallas Cowboys.

htowntexans1985
01-02-2014, 06:08 AM
No thanks. This coaching staff needs to be torn down and built brick by brick. Teams have caught on to our schemes and nuances. Have fun moving back to Dallas wade!!

TEXANRED
01-02-2014, 06:26 AM
not sure why all the hostility toward wade? Is it his fault this GM let Williams/Ryans/Barwin/GLove walk out of Reliant?

I guess we could go and see what Richard Smith is up to these days.

LikeMike
01-02-2014, 06:37 AM
Texans fans are unforgiving ;-). I don`t know if Wade is past his prime - but I remember very clearly what our defense looked like before Wade got here and it was ugly. Back them we said: we don`t need a top defense, just give us an average one and our offense should do the rest. After he came here, he transformed the defense and turned it into one of the best of the league (arguably the best).

Last year was a bad one - but not a terrible one. We couldn`t force turnovers and didn`t get enough pressure to the QB (those two things are connected)... but statistically we still had a good year. Problem was our offense couldn`t do much and commited tons of turnovers. And after a couple of losses we had a culture of losing that every player kinda got sucked into. Kubiak couldn`t stop it and neither could Wade.

I still think Wade is a pretty good defensive coach - he might need to get more creative, but overall he will give us at least a good defense. With the right new players that can pressure the QB, he might even turn us into a great defense again.

A new DC is always a gamble. It might work, it might remain the same or it might be a disaster. And the odds are more in the "remains the same" or the "disaster" way than the "it might work" way. I don`t think Wade did such a bad job that we have to do a change here.

In the end it is up to Bob. But I´d hope he at least considers Wade and talks to him.

Scooter
01-02-2014, 06:51 AM
if we got at least 2 starters at linebacker i'd have no problem bringing wade back. as it stands right now though, the son of bum is out. more than any other, wade's system is player dependent. if he doesnt have a full compliment of linebackers - both rush and cover - it isnt going to work. we've spent too many resources already trying to fill the holes without success.

if we could land those top tier linebackers, watt would resume his destructive ways. as it is, i'd rather see him moved to 4-3 defensive end and we build around him, probably in a more tampa 2 type system.

LikeMike
01-02-2014, 07:02 AM
if we got at least 2 starters at linebacker i'd have no problem bringing wade back. as it stands right now though, the son of bum is out. more than any other, wade's system is player dependent. if he doesnt have a full compliment of linebackers - both rush and cover - it isnt going to work. we've spent too many resources already trying to fill the holes without success.

if we could land those top tier linebackers, watt would resume his destructive ways. as it is, i'd rather see him moved to 4-3 defensive end and we build around him, probably in a more tampa 2 type system.

If we did we`d need at least 1 better 2 more DTs. What to do with Mercilus and Reed? If we kept Mercilus at DE and moved Reed to OLB, we`d probably need at least 1 new OLB (maybe Sharpton could work) and if Sharpton goes OLB one new ILB.

No matter what system we play, we need at least some new players. For Wades system an OLB starter and one ILB depth player could be enough, if we keep our other majore players and stay healthy. If we change back to 4-3 we have more holes to fill.

Remember, for a majority of the season we were without Manning and Cushing - and Reed was a negative. So compared to last season we were missing both Safeties and our best linebacker - so basically 3 of our best coverage guys. No wonder that the QB could throw the ball quickly. Plus Cushing was a major help at pass rush.

True our defense was bad - but their were also really bad circumstances around a piss poor offense and injuries to some of our most important players. I think it would take less effort (draft picks and FA signings) to fix Wade defense than it would to implement a whole new one.

Scooter
01-02-2014, 07:27 AM
we're certainly going to need to add players this offseason regardless of what happens or who the coordinator is. honestly i'd love nothing more than to bring wade back. however, my contention is that wade needs at least 2 studs added to the defense (and more depth) to be successful. a change in scheme would IMO need only an influx of simple starters and depth.

just like kubiak, wade runs a very simple execution based defense. almost exclusively man to man, with matchup advantages and inside blitz opportunities from the front 7. kubiak lost his front (and the lockerroom to ed reed IMO) and thus was fired. wade has been unable to build his front and the defense has taken a similar nose dive. kubiak can turn jake plummer into a probowler and beat peyton with ron dayne ... when his offensive line is in tact. wade can have a top 3 defense ... when his linebackers are in tact. we have an injured brian cushing and ... ? nothing. we dont have the resources needed to keep trying to build wade's defense. watt & ninja, kareem & joseph, manning & quin/swearinger are a ton of talent ... and dont matter a lick because it's a linebacker system. another coach may be better at creating a system leaning on watt and a very talented group of starters in the secondary, something wade's system just cant do.

mercilus and reed will have to become backup DE's at best, and there will several players dumped. i dont see how we're losing anything though, because these guys are the reason wade isnt working out.

edit: not my most sober post, hope i make sense.

YeaLikeRightNow
01-02-2014, 07:37 AM
I too admire and respect Wade Phillips just as most people here. I'd like to blame this year's defensive debacles on personnel losses, injuries and sub par player performances, but it's just too much to ask that the defense can be turned around with the same coordinator at the helm.

I think the first problem was the loss of good players like DeMeco Ryans and Connor Barwin. I specifically call out these two players because the team they are now playing for is a division champion and going to the playoffs. They were both mentioned by commentators quite a few times in their past several games that I have watched. Glover Quin has helped his team shore-up a defense that has become respectable this past season. Call it salary cap issues if you may, but it sounds to me that Kubiak and Smith were the cause of these losses.

Losing Brian Cushing again has played a huge role in the defenses' lackluster performance this year; but the PI's called against Kareem, the miscues and personal fouls has become a players mentality concern as well. That is on coaching and players shoulders. McCain and Sharpton have not contributed much this year - and I see them gone, if not forgotten. The players brought in to shore up the defense were on IR for most of the season (Quesenberry for example).

I also have concerns about trainers and game-time prep in relation to injuries. Like Bellichek, I also question the NFLPA for limiting practice time for the veterans....what may be the cause for so many injuries this year.

But...back on topic...I like Wade a lot....liking someone in the midst of a poor performance will only lead our team to the same ends.

Time, and the game itself has passed Wade by. I think the Texans should do as Dallas is doing with Kiffin and respectfully offer him a retirement package.

Hervoyel
01-02-2014, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't be horrified at the prospect if there was some way to know that Bill O'Brien was completely behind the idea but I think that it's very unlikely. It might just be though that the Texans are ready for wholesale change and Wade will need to go. That's not entirely an indictment of the man, just a fact of life when teams change head coaches.

I doubt he remains but I wouldn't be upset about it.

Bulls on Parade
01-02-2014, 10:17 AM
I don't like the 3-4 defense and I'm still holding out some hope we will draft Jadeveon Clowney number one overall. I'd like to have Clowney at right end and Watt at left end for the next decade. That would be a really good foundation to build on. I would even draft the best defensive tackle in the second round at pick 33. A dominating 4-3 defense is what I desire with this team. A real Bulls On Parade. I'd wait until the third round to draft a young QB to groom for the future and I would pick up a veteran QB in free agency.

gtexan02
01-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Wade was given an opportunity to save his DC job when he was interim HC for the last 3 games. We gave up 26ppg in those 3 games and had a total of 2 turnovers.

That was his DC tryout, and it didn't impress me. Someone posted a thread a few years ago about the decline in Wade's defenses over time. They always start out strong in year 1 and get progressively worse. I just don't think he's very good when there is game tape available

Double Barrel
01-02-2014, 10:44 AM
I'm not a big 3-4 fan, either.

Give me a front four in a 4-3 that can stop runs up the middle and put pressure from the ends and I think it gives defenses a lot more of a foundation to build on.

One thing that helps me see Wade in a positive light is that Ed Reed was clearly not his decision. That alone tells me that he is his own man, so there is no telling how handcuffed he's been with this FO and previous HC.

His players still think highly of him, fwiw. But I'm not losing sleep either way. In O'Brien I trust!

The Pencil Neck
01-02-2014, 10:57 AM
I voted No because O'Brien should pick his own staff.

If he wants Wade and thinks Wade can do a good job, great. O'Brien might be able to sit down with Wade and help him upgrade and modernize his defense and he might be able to help Wade with making the changes necessary to be able to face a Brady or a Rodgers without getting pantsed.

But I don't want to force Wade on him.

I think Wade has done some good things and we wouldn't have had the two years of playoffs without him. So I thank him for that. But I need better performance in the red zone, more turnovers forced, and better competition against great QBs.

2slik4u
01-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Voted no for a couple of reasons:

1. Im ready for a change as far as defensive scheme
2. Bill O'Brien should be able to choose who he wants
3. Wade's defense has to many deficiencies that aren't made up from the strong areas
4. no turnovers and low sack totals from our OLB position doesn't work for me seeing as how they blitz 75% of the time.

Ready for a new system.

alphajoker
01-02-2014, 11:15 AM
I voted no. Wade's D was decent between the 20's but similar to Kubiak's O, he sucked when it mattered most - 66.67% red zone scoring defense. Last in the league.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-red-zone-scoring-pct

WolverineFan
01-02-2014, 11:30 AM
I thank Wade for coming home and making the defense relevant again. Despite the regression this year, they are obviously the superior unit. That said, we knew his track record coming in. He comes in and turns around bad defenses, but they slowly regress as the years go on. His tenure here bears that out. It's time to move on.

The1ApplePie
01-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Can him. The defense is outdated and Wade can't deal. Dallas already figured this out with Kiffin.

BetaV1
01-02-2014, 04:32 PM
I find some of the comments here regarding Wade and the lack of appreciation for his work here to be disgusting. If it weren't for Wade, we very likely could've been challenging the Saints for the longest stretch before the first playoff berth.

If you don't think he should defensive coordinator because you think the scheme is outdated, fine. Wade as a person is not, and it's shameful how people are suddenly speaking of him. Show some damn respect.

You know what, I was thinking it was time for Wade to go, but after seeing some of the comments from the first page of this thread, I hope he comes back. The chip that's being put on the shoulders of him and all the defensive players is something I certainly wouldn't bet against. Put me down as an empathic "YES."

2slik4u
01-02-2014, 05:26 PM
I find some of the comments here regarding Wade and the lack of appreciation for his work here to be disgusting. If it weren't for Wade, we very likely could've been challenging the Saints for the longest stretch before the first playoff berth.

If you don't think he should defensive coordinator because you think the scheme is outdated, fine. Wade as a person is not, and it's shameful how people are suddenly speaking of him. Show some damn respect.

You know what, I was thinking it was time for Wade to go, but after seeing some of the comments from the first page of this thread, I hope he comes back. The chip that's being put on the shoulders of him and all the defensive players is something I certainly wouldn't bet against. Put me down as an empathic "YES."

Dude, relax. For starters everyone who has been watching knows that he turned the defense around drastically. If you are happy with the lack of turnovers and lack of pass rush then that's fine but don't act like he has done an outstanding job over the past two years. Year one was awesome but is a "what have you done for me lately?" Kind of league.

When you steadily digress over the course of two seasons as a coordinator, it's typically time to start looking in other directions. Kubiak had 8 seasons to figure it out which we can all agree was too long. He had it extended by wades defense.

Don't take it as a personal attack on you because it's not.

Wade is old. That is fact. His defensive scheme is not working. That is fact. Did we have a good "yards per game" ranking? Sure we did. We were 2-14 so it doesn't matter.

TheIronDuke
01-02-2014, 05:31 PM

Mrs. Phillips, we all appreciate your husbands defense in year one and kinda liked it in year 2 even though Tom Brady ripped it to shreds. But this last year your husband not only fielded a pathetic defense but he also was a terrible head coach. Good luck to your family Mrs. Phillips, as you can see, most of us want y'all gone but hold no ill will to you.

CloakNNNdagger
01-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Wade's defensive philosophy: 3-4..........same look virtually every play (forced man)..........against every team ............just hand them your playbook.

O'Brien's defensive philosophy: 4-3..........mix it up...........multiple looks.........confuse them.

Here's a very telling look into our new coach's thoughts on defense from a piece taken from a may 2012 PennLive article:

He’s known for his offensive mind and specifically his work with quarterbacks. But that doesn’t mean Penn State head coach Bill O’Brien doesn’t spend a lot of time thinking about and working alongside defensive coordinator John Butler.

“I have a definitive defensive philosophy,” O’Brien said earlier this week. “I think No. 1 is we have to be able to stop the run.”

Minutes later he added: “You can’t just sit in one coverage in one front all day. You’re going to get abused.”

Butler, who is in his first season as coordinator after the departure of Ted Roof, worked with the defensive backs and special teams last season. Butler said several times since he was promoted this winter that the core principles of Penn State's defense won’t change. Sure there will be new wrinkles, ones fans couldn’t see in the final spring practice, but come September they’ll be there.

O’Brien, a former defensive end and linebacker at Brown who likes to say his coaching skills surpass his playing skills, said he saw defensive improvements at the conclusion of spring practice. He even shed some light on specifically what he wants tightened up by the time camp opens this August.

“We have to be a multiple defense,” O’Brien said. “I bring an offensive perspective to the team so the hardest defenses I’ve ever called plays against were defenses that were very multiple. They went from an even front to an odd front, from an overloaded front, to zone pressure. [They went] from a man blitz to dropping eight and rushing three.

“They kept it moving on the quarterbacks. That was big. Stopping the run and keeping the picture different is big for me.”

O’Brien’s in-season routine of watching tape of the opposing team’s offense on Sunday and Monday will remain the same. He’ll then discuss with Butler what he believes are four or five keys to the game and then O’Brien takes those same keys and stands in front of the entire team and relays the message.

Of course the final call on all game plans comes from O’Brien, but he said he operates knowing that he’s on the same page with the assistants he put in place.

“I don’t really look for a safety net,” O’Brien said. “I look more for this is what I believe in, this is why I’m hiring you or this is why I’m promoting you and making sure we believe in the same things.

“We had a productive spring being multiple. I thought we were tough to go against, gave the quarterback different pictures and I think John Butler is doing a very good job.” link (http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2013/05/bill_obrien_sheds_light_on_his.html)

thunderkyss
01-02-2014, 07:50 PM
The Jaguars averaged 14.4 ppg before they played us the first time.

We allowed them 28 points then & 27 the second time.

I voted no, because I couldn't find hell no.

I was on board with bringing him to Houston. I was excited. I enjoyed every minute of that 2011 season, & pumped the sunshine throughout the 2012.

But it played out exactly the way everyone said it would. They were right. I was wrong. I'm ready to move on.

TejasTom
01-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Wade's defensive philosophy: 3-4..........same look virtually every play (forced man)..........against every team ............just hand them your playbook.

O'Brien's defensive philosophy: 4-3..........mix it up...........multiple looks.........confuse them.

Implementing a diametrically opposed philosophy after after a 2 win season sounds like a good idea to me.

tedr
01-03-2014, 09:38 AM
I'm all in for changing things up...I do believe bringing Wade in was the reason we were finally able to make the playoffs, and so I thank him for that. That said, I think it's time for a change at def. coordinator...despite our yardage rankings, anyone could clearly see we've regressed quite a bit from two years ago. Even when we had Cushing and Manning earlier in the year, we weren't nearly the unit we were in 2011.

My question is, how easy would it be to go to a 4-3 with the personnel we have? I assume one of the starting OLBs could drop down to a defensive end, since their main job now is to rush the passer anyway. But would those guys be undersized for DE? That's why drafting Clowney is an interesting prospect for me, despite the negatives about him. He seems to be a freak of nature, and pairing him with JJ as the other DE could be a nightmare for opposing offenses. Since I have very little knowledge regarding defensive philosophy, though, I'd appreciate any comments or corrections. Thanks.

Double Barrel
01-03-2014, 10:41 AM

Here's a very telling look into our new coach's thoughts on defense from a piece taken from a may 2012 PennLive article:
link (http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2013/05/bill_obrien_sheds_light_on_his.html)

This is exactly what I've been hearing/reading about O'Brien.

Wade's scheme and style is diametrically opposite of what O'Brien believes in. They would be so incompatible that it's not even an option to keep Wade.

O'Brien likes to confuse the other team, constantly changing, adapting, and adjusting to exploit the opponent's weakness(es). He does not believe in doing one thing good and just winning by executing better than the other team. His M.O. is to constantly be fluid and dynamic, not stubborn and static. Reminds me of this quote:

“You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”
~ Bruce Lee

DBCooper
01-03-2014, 10:55 AM

Wade's scheme and style is diametrically opposite of what O'Brien believes in. They would be so incompatible that it's not even an option to keep Wade.

O'Brien likes to confuse the other team, constantly changing, adapting, and adjusting to exploit the opponent's weakness(es). He does not believe in doing one thing good and just winning by executing better than the other team. His M.O. is to constantly be fluid and dynamic, not stubborn and static. Reminds me of this quote:

“You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”
~ Bruce Lee

That's a great Bruce Lee quote, I quoted it to my 5 year old son the other day, lol

BullNation4Life
01-04-2014, 12:51 PM

~ Bruce Lee

I live my life by that quote.

beerlover
01-04-2014, 01:01 PM

~ Bruce Lee

tried to rep you my friend for Bruce quote, used it also for Teddy B.

PapaL
01-04-2014, 01:14 PM
In some dimension somewhere, Gronk and Hernandez are still running free and burning our defense.

Thanks for that great first year Wade. It was phenomenal. It really was.

DX-TEX
01-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Somewhere BOB is reading this thread and saying "I made your decision for you bitches!

Texan_Bill
01-07-2014, 08:35 PM

:wadepalm: Bill!!

(I figured some old school posters would get a laugh)

HJam72
01-08-2014, 06:43 AM
Wade gave us what we desperately needed; but, he didn't withstand and overcome all the problems this year. I wanted to keep him as DC, but it's true that his D's have faltered before and this time he doesn't get promoted as a result. I really don't see our 2-14 record as mostly his fault, but he did screw up enough to lose his job. You want to keep your job in the NFL, you gotta keep performing.