Pages : [1] 2

2slik4u
12-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Relevant.

Merge if necessary.

Wish him well.

Trap_Star
12-30-2013, 09:30 PM
good to see he's battling and trying to get better.

TheIronDuke
12-30-2013, 09:44 PM
I'd prefer an AFC team pick him up but I do hope he gets a HC gig.

eriadoc
12-30-2013, 09:48 PM
If I had the energy, I'd go dig up quotes from people like Texecutioner that stated with absolute certainty that Kubiak would not be a head coach this season.

Allstar
12-30-2013, 10:00 PM
I'd root for his success.

infantrycak
12-30-2013, 10:03 PM
If I had the energy, I'd go dig up quotes from people like Texecutioner that stated with absolute certainty that Kubiak would not be a head coach this season.

Plenty of folks going further declaring he will never be a HC again.

Texn4life
12-30-2013, 10:11 PM
I don't think Kubiak is the man to turn around that team, but I hope he gets the opportunity somewhere. I don't think Cleveland would be too bad for him.

houstonspartan
12-30-2013, 10:27 PM

Kubiak being interviewed doesn't mean he'll get the job. Nor does it mean he'll be a great head coach again.

I wish him well, but I stand behind my thoughts that he's a mediocre leader. If he finds success elsewhere, cool. But that doesn't mean we were wrong in firing him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Corrosion
12-30-2013, 10:39 PM

Cak and I had a similar conversation earlier today ... He thought he'd be an OC for a couple years ...

thunderkyss
12-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Wasn't that the job Wade wanted last year? Those guys have low standards. It would be interesting to see Wade & Kubiak compete for that job.....

in a cage match to the death.

Texan4Ever
12-30-2013, 11:13 PM
ESPN keeps talking about how great the Lions job is but I have to admit that the Buccaneers is equally another great team to coach.

You have a young Rookie quarterback (Mike Glennon) that played very well (2,608 Yards Passing, 19 TDs, and 9 INTs), a promising RB in Doug Martin (suffering from a Sophomore slump but should bounce back), and a young but talented defense.

Add a few pieces this off season and with a solid draft you could be very well on your way to a playoff berth and beyond.

With this being said Adam Schefter mentioned that teams usually go in the opposite direction when they hire coaches. The opposite of Greg Schiano is Gary Kubiak who is loyal, fairly quiet, and someone who you won't see hollering in players faces.

If he DOES get the job I wish him the very best. He did take this team that needed a QB and gambled on an unproven backup (after the Carr era), took us to two playoffs, and helped us find our diamond in the rust (Arian Foster).

Hookem Horns
12-30-2013, 11:25 PM
If Mr. "It's on me" follows me out here I am going to be pizzed. The Glaziers cant be that stupid. I don't even want him out here as a OC which was the rumor I heard today. Hopefully Lovie Smith takes the job and ends this nonsense.

For the life of me I can't see how any team could be thinking he's a decent HC right now. The NFL has caught up to his outdated offense. His work with QBs is way overrated and the dude can't even watch the crucial FG attempts.

Again I don't even hire him as an OC right now.

eriadoc
12-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Kubiak being interviewed doesn't mean he'll get the job. Nor does it mean he'll be a great head coach again.

I wish him well, but I stand behind my thoughts that he's a mediocre leader. If he finds success elsewhere, cool. But that doesn't mean we were wrong in firing him.

Not saying he'll be a good head coach, and damn sure not saying he shouldn't have been fired. Just saying it's silly to think he'd never be a head coach again, much less with the certainty that some people said he wouldn't. The mere fact that he's being interviewed for a HC job shows that NFL people disagree with that certainty.

Cak and I had a similar conversation earlier today ... He thought he'd be an OC for a couple years ...

I thought/think he'd be an OC for a year. But I think he'll be a HC again. Whether or not he does well depends on how he adjusts to what he's learned.

I wish him well, but he had to go.

JCTexan
12-30-2013, 11:48 PM
If Mr. "It's on me" follows me out here I am going to be pizzed. The Glaziers cant be that stupid. I don't even want him out here as a OC which was the rumor I heard today. Hopefully Lovie Smith takes the job and ends this nonsense.

For the life of me I can't see how any team could be thinking he's a decent HC right now. The NFL has caught up to his outdated offense. His work with QBs is way overrated and the dude can't even watch the crucial FG attempts.

Again I don't even hire him as an OC right now.

haha at least the Bucs have a QB for Kubiak to mentor. :runaway:

thunderkyss
12-30-2013, 11:58 PM
But I think he'll be a HC again. Whether or not he does well depends on how he adjusts to what he's learned.

Agreed. Too many teams that have had as bad a history as ours over the last 10 years & still can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. If I were TB, or Buffalo, or Dallas I'm thinking 10 year plan. It would start with 4 years of Kubiak.

I'm sure McNair has been working the phones telling everyone how much Kubiak has done for this team that you don't see on Sundays.

Goatcheese
12-31-2013, 12:30 AM
Good luck to Kubes, except when you play the Texans and especially when you play the Sister Kissers.

He took the worst team in the NFL with basically AJ, Pitts, D-Rob and 50 turds, and made them competitive every year until the train wreck, including 2 division titles, 2 playoff appearances and 2 playoff wins. There were rough patches, but the Texans have been an exciting team to watch for most of your time here.

False Start
12-31-2013, 12:32 AM
As long as he goes to an NFC team, I would root for him to succeed.

Hervoyel
12-31-2013, 09:24 AM
If he learned something from his experience here in Houston then maybe he'll be a good HC someday. I don't think that day is today though and I haven't seen anything from him that would indicate that he learned much. He still seems to think that his system is going to do it all and that having a locker room full of friends means that you have a team behind you. At least that's the page he seemed to be on when he got fired.

If some time were to pass and he'd take the time to think through everything then maybe that would change.

pirbroke
12-31-2013, 09:56 AM
I hope he gets the job, and we trade Shaub to them for two second round draft pics😳

Double Barrel
12-31-2013, 01:43 PM

Surely you're not talking about this post (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2266784&postcount=111), no?

*puff* *puff* PASS :howdy:

I agree.

However, being average / mediocre is not a death sentence in the NFL. As I've pointed out before, there are many well known coaches who have made careers out of it. Wade Philips, Norv Turner, and their king, Marty Schottenheimer, are all great examples of head coaches who can build winning regular season teams that consistently fail in the playoffs.

The list is long of these types of coaches, so Kubiak is just another name on it.

WolverineFan
12-31-2013, 02:19 PM
He's still young enough (52) that he should have plenty of opportunity to have another run as a HC. Hopefully his health will not be an issue in the future.

Personally, I think he should take a year off to recharge before he jumps back in. I'll root for him wherever he ends up, as long as it doesn't affect the Texans.

chicagotexan2
12-31-2013, 04:27 PM
I hope he does well wherever he lands. Hopefully he will be more dynamic and able to adjust. That and his loyalty to a fault did him in.

Good luck coach.

Except against us.

Wouldn't it just kill you if he coached again and signed Vince Young and beat us. I think I might puke.

badboy
12-31-2013, 04:48 PM
If hired I would not be shocked if he picked up Schaub at a discount.

Corrosion
12-31-2013, 05:02 PM
I thought/think he'd be an OC for a year. But I think he'll be a HC again. Whether or not he does well depends on how he adjusts to what he's learned.

How well he does ..... depends upon who his QB is.

Yeah , it was time for him to move on. The wheels fell off here tho I find it difficult to place much blame on him for the performance of his QB's as I know he put in countless hours trying to squeeze blood out of the turnip that was Matt Schaub .... and for the most part during his time here he got the most out of Schaub.

I would be totally shocked if he did .... Schaub is damaged goods and Kubiak knows it.

htownfan32
12-31-2013, 05:05 PM

I can definitely see Schaub backing up Glennon as Kubiak coaches him up.

Hookem Horns
12-31-2013, 05:44 PM
I have been working some today and listening to local sports radio. No one is talking about Kubiak out here. It's all about Lovie Smith and some clamoring for Chuckie to come back (which will never happen). The talking heads (some former Bucs players included) really like Bill O'Brien however feel the Bucs won't get a shot at him because they think he's already committed to the Texans.

Hopefully McNair nails O'Brien down and takes his name off of the table before some other team swoops in a tries to grab him.

I can see Kubiak taking the year off and replacing Jason Garrett next season. Schaub can back up Romo also. That scenario would be ideal.

IDEXAN
12-31-2013, 05:59 PM
I have been working some today and listening to local sports radio. No one is talking about Kubiak out here. It's all about Lovie Smith and some clamoring for Chuckie to come back (which will never happen). The talking heads (some former Bucs players included) really like Bill O'Brien however feel the Bucs won't get a shot at him because they think he's already committed to the Texans.

Hopefully McNair nails O'Brien down and takes his name off of the table before some other team swoops in a tries to grab him.

I can see Kubiak taking the year off and replacing Jason Garrett next season. Schaub can back up Romo also. That scenario would be ideal.
The silence on that deal that was all but done this time yesterday is now becoming deafening.

Hookem Horns
12-31-2013, 06:16 PM
The silence on that deal that was all but done this time yesterday is now becoming deafening.

Sounds like it's a done deal now in Houston however who really knows. I have seen coaches bail at the last minute. Parcells did it to the Bucs years ago and it happened again to them with Chip Kelley.

I just also heard a report that apparently Lovie Smith has been in the works in Tampa for a few weeks now. Maybe Kubiak will be interviewed just to satisfy the Reverse-Rooney rule :).

thunderkyss
12-31-2013, 06:25 PM
How well he does ..... depends upon who his QB is.

Maybe. Better cap management & better luck with injuries here & we'd be selling out Reliant for another home play off game.

Texecutioner
12-31-2013, 06:44 PM

He won't be.

Corrosion
12-31-2013, 11:21 PM
Maybe. Better cap management & better luck with injuries here & we'd be selling out Reliant for another home play off game.

Accept for .... Matt Pick Six Schaub ...

He won't be.

How do you take your crow ?

thunderkyss
12-31-2013, 11:40 PM

Who knows? IF we didn't have to let Winston, Briesel, & Demeco go. IF we were able to offer Mario a decent offer. IF we made the "safe" decision to stick with the developing Quin & not the "developed" Reed...

We might have won a Super Bowl in 2012 & Gary would get the same reprieve Tomlin is getting.

Even in 2013, if we could have picked up 3rd & 1, or 4th & 1 Matt wouldn't have had to throw the ball unless we were deep inside their 20.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be moving on. Just say'n

False Start
01-01-2014, 12:25 AM
I hope he does well wherever he lands. Hopefully he will be more dynamic and able to adjust. That and his loyalty to a fault did him in.

Good luck coach.

Except against us.

Wouldn't it just kill you if he coached again and signed Vince Young and beat us. I think I might puke.

Dude.... I just ate. :dontknowa:bat:

TexanExile
01-01-2014, 01:07 AM
I wish the guy the best of luck but I think it might be wise for him to take a year off, get some rest to ensure good health, and let the 14-loss streak fade from memory a little.

But mostly I'm just loving reading about Kubiak in the NFL forum instead of in Texans threads.

steelbtexan
01-01-2014, 08:43 AM

When was Gary EVER a GREAT HC?

steelbtexan
01-01-2014, 08:49 AM
Good luck to Kubes, except when you play the Texans and especially when you play the Sister Kissers.

He took the worst team in the NFL with basically AJ, Pitts, D-Rob and 50 turds, and made them competitive every year until the train wreck, including 2 division titles, 2 playoff appearances and 2 playoff wins. There were rough patches, but the Texans have been an exciting team to watch for most of your time here.

If by exciting you mean making me want to pull my hair out by having his offense go into a cocoon inthe 2nd half, then we completely agree.

But hey, Gary will have his new kids battling and playing their hearts out every week. Of course when they lose because of clock mismanagement/wrong use of timeouts etc.... it will be on him.

Vinny
01-01-2014, 08:57 AM
With Shanahan and Kubiak's offense flaming out hard this last season combined with Kubiak's milquetoast personality I can't see anyone hiring him as a HC any time soon. I could see him replacing Sumlin at TAMU if Sumlin were to somehow go away, or perhaps another College, but I can't see him as a NFL HC right now.

Lucky
01-01-2014, 09:04 AM
Wade Phillips received an interview for the Buc's HC gig a couple of years ago. Does anyone think he will be hired as a head coach again? The "I told you so"s are premature.

kingtexan
01-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Kubiak should stay in Houston, and coach Rice.

Playoffs
01-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Perfect situation for Gary would be for him to take over the post-Peyton Manning Broncos in a year or two or three. Not sure he'll wait that long, though.

Texecutioner
01-01-2014, 11:35 AM

How do you take your crow ?

I'm supposed to eat crow because Kubiak is getting interviewed? Lol! Holler at me when he is actually on the sidelines and calling his draw plays on 3rd down for some other team as their HC and not their OC. If Kubiak ever does get a HC job again I just hope its in our division.

thunderkyss
01-01-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm so over Gary Kubiak. It wouldn't bother me if someone else hired him as a headcoach & I don't think it is at all far fetched. I don't think the past 8 years have been a total waste. In his first four years he turned a busted expansion team into winners.. at least we had our first winning season anyway.

His second four years included 2 division titles & two play-off wins.

Not worth a crap if all you think about is 8 years. But considering the situation & looking at periods rather than the whole... I can think of many teams who would trade their most recent 4 years for Gary's.

Corrosion
01-01-2014, 01:56 PM
I'm supposed to eat crow because Kubiak is getting interviewed? Lol! Holler at me when he is actually on the sidelines and calling his draw plays on 3rd down for some other team as their HC and not their OC. If Kubiak ever does get a HC job again I just hope its in our division.

Not at all .... Just asking for future reference. Gary will be a head coach again in the NFL , maybe sooner than we think mainly because of his ability to get the most out of inadequate talent at the QB position. He did get the best out of Schaub ..... until Schaub's injuries put an end to it.

houstonspartan
01-01-2014, 01:58 PM
When was Gary EVER a GREAT HC?

LOL. Good catch. I should not have added the word "great." He was never a great HC.

I think the Shannahan/Kubiak system has been exposed.

dalemurphy
01-01-2014, 02:55 PM
With Shanahan and Kubiak's offense flaming out hard this last season combined with Kubiak's milquetoast personality I can't see anyone hiring him as a HC any time soon. I could see him replacing Sumlin at TAMU if Sumlin were to somehow go away, or perhaps another College, but I can't see him as a NFL HC right now.

Agreed. I would like to see him coach a college team. I think he could excel as a college head coach.

houstonspartan
01-01-2014, 03:55 PM
Agreed. I would like to see him coach a college team. I think he could excel as a college head coach.

Yep. I think he'd be decent in college. College would be a good fit for him (except for Michigan State. Please, Jesus, no!).

Texecutioner
01-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Not at all .... Just asking for future reference. Gary will be a head coach again in the NFL , maybe sooner than we think mainly because of his ability to get the most out of inadequate talent at the QB position. He did get the best out of Schaub ..... until Schaub's injuries put an end to it.

:spit: You said that in here for years.

Gary was awful at getting the most out of his QB's. He handicapped Schaub practically the entire time he was here. Wouldn't let him audible or run a fast paced no huddle offense to change up the pace regularly. He also refused to believe that Schaub was in a major decline. Gary was awful at dealing with his QB's. Don't forget at how you and so many others thought that Gary was going to turn Yates of all people into something special either. I listened to that silliness for about two years in here. Don't think for a second that I forgot about all of those dreams that so many were flaunting around here about Kubiak and Yates. I said this every year he was here, and I was not ever proven wrong. Even in Schaub's best years and when this offense was at it's peak, it always hit a wall or found some sort of epic failure in big losses that reminded people of Gary's lack of creativity. The trust you guys put in Kubiak time after time was mind boggling. And even after a 2-14 season you guys are still stroking this guy who couldn't even watch the end of games.

Hey if Gary can somehow sell his awful strategy to some other naive owner again, then more power to him but again I really hope that he lands in this division so the Texans have him twice a year. That will be one franchise I will never take seriously or consider a threat which would be great to have in this division. The Patriots and their fans never quivered even a bit at the thought of facing the Texans in their season of their best record and then once they had to play them in the playoffs again, no one worried about the Texans over there and that was because of who our coach was and the leadership this team lacked. The Texans were "always" known for lacking a "killer instinct" and being soft under Kubiak. That stigma never left the Texans even last season.

All that is about to change now though. He is gone and O'Brien is going to give this team a much stronger attitude and backbone.

Texecutioner
01-01-2014, 04:10 PM

My pipe dream is to see Kubiak end up at Texas A&M. I'd love to see Gary and his "doing the same way again and again" philosophy against those SEC defenses.

Playoffs
01-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Lovie's job, unless he better-deals them.

EllisUnit
01-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Plenty of folks going further declaring he will never be a HC again.

I'm sorry folks but with our luck kubiak will go to the bucs, they will go undefeated next year and go on to win 4 straight superbowls, while we muster a total of 12 wins in that 4 year span.

Do i think this will happen ? NO but with the luck we have had of recent with letting players go that sucks Holiday, J. Jones, Ryans (due to injury) etc.... yeah we have that kind of luck

Goatcheese
01-01-2014, 06:39 PM
If by exciting you mean making me want to pull my hair out by having his offense go into a cocoon inthe 2nd half, then we completely agree.

But hey, Gary will have his new kids battling and playing their hearts out every week. Of course when they lose because of clock mismanagement/wrong use of timeouts etc.... it will be on him.

I'm not sure what team you were watching, but I watched a high powered offense play in quite a few shootouts and exciting games decided late in the 4th quarter or overtime, and often on the final play. There was plenty of disappointment over the outcome, but it was really fun to watch.

steelbtexan
01-01-2014, 07:39 PM
:spit: You said that in here for years.

Gary was awful at getting the most out of his QB's. He handicapped Schaub practically the entire time he was here. Wouldn't let him audible or run a fast paced no huddle offense to change up the pace regularly. He also refused to believe that Schaub was in a major decline. Gary was awful at dealing with his QB's. Don't forget at how you and so many others thought that Gary was going to turn Yates of all people into something special either. I listened to that silliness for about two years in here. Don't think for a second that I forgot about all of those dreams that so many were flaunting around here about Kubiak and Yates. I said this every year he was here, and I was not ever proven wrong. Even in Schaub's best years and when this offense was at it's peak, it always hit a wall or found some sort of epic failure in big losses that reminded people of Gary's lack of creativity. The trust you guys put in Kubiak time after time was mind boggling. And even after a 2-14 season you guys are still stroking this guy who couldn't even watch the end of games.

Hey if Gary can somehow sell his awful strategy to some other naive owner again, then more power to him but again I really hope that he lands in this division so the Texans have him twice a year. That will be one franchise I will never take seriously or consider a threat which would be great to have in this division. The Patriots and their fans never quivered even a bit at the thought of facing the Texans in their season of their best record and then once they had to play them in the playoffs again, no one worried about the Texans over there and that was because of who our coach was and the leadership this team lacked. The Texans were "always" known for lacking a "killer instinct" and being soft under Kubiak. That stigma never left the Texans even last season.

All that is about to change now though. He is gone and O'Brien is going to give this team a much stronger attitude and backbone.

Sometimes it is hard to differentiate between good man and a good HC. I know I always hoped Gary would change because I liked his classy ways. Did I expect Gary to change not really.

I will be the same way with BOB.

steelbtexan
01-01-2014, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure what team you were watching, but I watched a high powered offense play in quite a few shootouts and exciting games decided late in the 4th quarter or overtime, and often on the final play. There was plenty of disappointment over the outcome, but it was really fun to watch.

Tell me more about the last 6 games of last season?

They were hardly an offensive juggernaut this season.

At times the offense was quite offensive though.

Goatcheese
01-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Tell me more about the last 6 games of last season?

They were hardly an offensive juggernaut this season.

At times the offense was quite offensive though.

So out of 7 years, you're going to pout over 6 games? :toropalm:

Yeah, most of this season sucked, but even it had some fun games.

If you're only happy and enjoying football when your team goes 19-0 with an average margin of victory over 20, you're going to have a really unhappy time watching professional sports.

steelbtexan
01-01-2014, 08:52 PM
So out of 7 years, you're going to pout over 6 games? :toropalm:

Yeah, most of this season sucked, but even it had some fun games.

If you're only happy and enjoying football when your team goes 19-0 with an average margin of victory over 20, you're going to have a really unhappy time watching professional sports.

Whatever,

You said that the offense has been really exciting, I point out why I disagree in addition to the infamous 2010 season and this is the best you can come up with? Typical response of the former Gary sunshine club.

Playoffs
01-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Lovie's job, unless he better-deals them.

It's done.

Corrosion
01-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Sometimes it is hard to differentiate between good man and a good HC. I know I always hoped Gary would change because I liked his classy ways. Did I expect Gary to change not really.

I will be the same way with BOB.

Sometimes its difficult to differentiate between fact and assumptions .... and Tex definitely makes a lot of assumptions.

Playoffs
01-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Dave Birkett ‏@davebirkett
One other name to watch with the Lions opening: Gary Kubiak

Dutchrudder
01-07-2014, 03:42 PM
I'm pretty sure Matt Stafford would give him a heart attack.

Double Barrel
01-07-2014, 03:43 PM

That could be an interesting place. They've got a decent QB, elite WR, and kinda' funny if Reggie Bush ended up as Kubiak's RB, all things considered.

Mr. White
01-07-2014, 03:43 PM

One other name to watch with the Lions opening: Gary Kubiak

For the sake of his health, I would hope that he would take the next season off. When you have a stroke, your body's trying to tell you something.

I don't think he got the message though. Otherwise he would have taken the rest of the season off.

TheMatrix31
01-07-2014, 05:45 PM
That would be a good destination for him.

Playoffs
01-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Tim Twentyman ‏@ttwentyman
Former Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak interviewed for the Lions head coaching vacancy today.

HJam72
01-07-2014, 07:10 PM
For the sake of his health, I would hope that he would take the next season off. When you have a stroke, your body's trying to tell you something.

I don't think he got the message though. Otherwise he would have taken the rest of the season off.

I'd say that when you have a stroke, your body has already given up talking to you, because you don't listen (I have no right to judge, though).

houstonspartan
01-07-2014, 07:56 PM
That would be a good destination for him.

No, it wouldn't. I know that area. The fans and the media would EAT HIM ALIVE. His Southern Opie act would not work.

And: the Lions GM is not messing around. He's not going to put up with nonsense, either.

Gary needs to set his ego aside, take some time off, and rest.

thunderkyss
01-07-2014, 08:16 PM
There's so much hate on this board. Let the man do his thing, you wouldn't do no different. He tried his best, it didn't work. He's going to try again.

Big Whoop.

LonerATO
01-07-2014, 08:21 PM
No, it wouldn't. I know that area. The fans and the media would EAT HIM ALIVE. His Southern Opie act would not work.

And: the Lions GM is not messing around. He's not going to put up with nonsense, either.

Gary needs to set his ego aside, take some time off, and rest.

What ego? Dude never gives off more than a mouse fart let alone shown some raging hard-on of an ego.

Thorn
01-08-2014, 08:22 AM
Whatever Kubiak does is up to him, but I would rather him take some time off for health reasons before going full blast into another HC position.

IDEXAN
01-08-2014, 08:26 AM
When you have a stroke, your body's trying to tell you something.

So's your brain.

Mr. White
01-08-2014, 08:35 AM
So's your brain.

Absolutely. We're talking about a guy that keeps himself in really good health by all accounts.

Seems to me the only other thing that could have caused it was his stress level.

steelbtexan
01-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Gary would be the perfect tutor for Stafford.

With a GM to reign him in I actually think Gary would do a pretty good job.

disaacks3
01-08-2014, 09:42 AM
I think Detroit is a good make-or-break place for Kubiak to try his Head Coaching hand again. He'll have some talent to work with.

If it doesn't work out, he'll be an OC again.

Hookem Horns
01-08-2014, 10:33 AM
There's so much hate on this board. Let the man do his thing, you wouldn't do no different. He tried his best, it didn't work. He's going to try again.

Big Whoop.

.. and that's on him.

houstonspartan
01-08-2014, 10:46 AM

Big Whoop.

I wish the guy nothing but the best in life. I was merely pointing out that the Lions are on the cusp of something, and need a leader to get them there. Gary isn't that guy at this point. There are lot of better options out there for that team.

HOU-TEX
01-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Hope he lands it. Good guy. Hope he surrounds himself with good coaches if he does. Especially defense

Playoffs
01-08-2014, 07:26 PM
Adam Schefter @adamschefter
Another OC candidate high on Dolphins' radar is former Texans HC Gary Kubiak, per league sources.

Texecutioner
01-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Adam Schefter @adamschefter

I like the Lions team, so I don't want to see Gary end up there at all. They have a ton of talent on that team and that is a great destination to HC at right now. I really hope they don't set themselves back another 4+ years with Kubiak.

I know that people around here really want to see Gary Kubiak get another HC gig, but I'd think that you guys would want to see him end up in Tennessee or Jacksonville. If Gary can get this job in Miami, that could set him up to take the next HC job in Jacksonville in two years. I think that the Titans have seen enough of Gary to know better than going that direction.

JB
01-08-2014, 11:34 PM

Enlighten me please. I had one of these mini-strokes and not sure what lesson I was supposed to have learned.

Corrosion
01-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Enlighten me please. I had one of these mini-strokes and not sure what lesson I was supposed to have learned.

Take your blood thinners .... :corrosion:

ChampionTexan
01-09-2014, 04:19 PM

Take your blood thinners .... :corrosion:

And don't sub in Schaub when you're supposed to be using the last half of the season to evaluate Case.

Mr. White
01-09-2014, 06:22 PM

Don't know what I could tell you that your doctor already hasn't.

Maddict5
01-10-2014, 07:06 AM
I'm sorry folks but with our luck kubiak will go to the bucs, they will go undefeated next year and go on to win 4 straight superbowls, while we muster a total of 12 wins in that 4 year span.

Do i think this will happen ? NO but with the luck we have had of recent with letting players go that sucks Holiday, J. Jones, Ryans (due to injury) etc.... yeah we have that kind of luck

you conveniently forgot everybody whose careers fell off a cliff when we let them go like dunta, briesel, winston, rosenfels, carr, diles, cody, walter, dreessen, mario been the same as when he washere etc

Playoffs
01-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
From Schefter: #Dolphins OC search "zeroing in" on Kubiak, Kyle Shanahan, McAdoo. Link: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9317/kyle-shanahan …

Kubes & mini-Shanny cage match!

Playoffs
01-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Eric Winston was/still is on 610AM just now with The General & crew and he just laughed about the idea Kubiak was a players coach and didn't hold players responsible...

--He said Kubiak chewed his azz out a number of times during games,
--He said he and other ex-Texans agreed that Kubiak's post game film review meetings were the worst any had experienced,
--"I've never wanted to "get small/hide" more than when Gary targeted you in those meetings.
--"Last year was probably just a bad year. Coaches didn't just get dumb. Maybe the message just gets a little stale -- he was here 8 years."

Fwiw, water under the bridge and all, but it's a different narrative than is being played amongst the fans.

infantrycak
01-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Eric Winston was/still is on 610AM just now with The General & crew and he just laughed about the idea Kubiak was a players coach and didn't hold players responsible...

--He said he and other ex-Texans agreed that Kubiak's post game film review meetings were the worst any had experienced,
--"I've never wanted to "get small/hide" more than when Gary targeted you in those meetings.
--"Last year was probably just a bad year. Coaches didn't just get dumb. Making the message just gets a little stale -- he was here 8 years."

Fwiw, water under the bridge and all, but it's a different narrative than is being played amongst the fans.

I gave up trying to tell people Kubiak in a press conference was not Kubiak behind the scenes years ago.

Double Barrel
01-10-2014, 06:03 PM
I gave up trying to tell people Kubiak in a press conference was not Kubiak behind the scenes years ago.

I think demeanor gets overplayed by fans.

I'm sure you know this, but I've seen a couple of NFL Films documentaries on Tom Landry (most recently on "A Football Life").

Dude was obviously not a screamer or table pounder, but every single player said the same thing: you NEVER wanted to get "the look" from Landry. They all said he had a glance, sometimes a stare, that just bore a hole through their souls and they wanted to crawl under rocks to hide from it.

Accountability can come in many shapes and forms, and I have never really bought into the narrative that Kubiak was soft on players. He gives that vibe to the general public, but like said above, that's just a presentation.

thunderkyss
01-10-2014, 06:49 PM
I think demeanor gets overplayed by fans.

No. "We" think the only way to hold someone accountable is to fire him. Throw the baby out with the bath water kind of thing. The Texans are so hush-hush on everything that we never know when they're fined or disciplined, or why Brandon Harris can't get on the field, or why Ben Tate stayed in the dog house.

But this... about Kubiak has been out there for a long, long time. In year one we heard about him making David Carr cry. Every player who's been asked the question on the radio said the same thing. Kubiak knows how to cut you... deep & they all felt accountable. They continued to say the same thing when they became "ex-players" ND Kalu said it all the time even though Greg Koch (who's never had any personal experience with Kubiak whatsoever) would spout off with the no accountability rant.

At the same time, I think Kubiak took it to the extreme. He wanted Frank Bush, couldn't get him. He was stuck with Richard Smith. Richard Smith wasn't cutting it. He hires Frank Bush... to work for Richard Smith. If he had made up his mind that Smith needed help, he should have just cut bait & moved on, or at the very least, demote Smith & have him work for Bush. I mean what incentive would Frank Bush have to help Richard Smith to succeed? In fact, he would have every reason to make sure Smith did not.

paycheck71
01-10-2014, 09:25 PM

--"Last year was probably just a bad year. Coaches didn't just get dumb. Maybe the message just gets a little stale -- he was here 8 years."

What the hell do we, fans, know? Comparatively, NOTHING!!! I chuckle every time I read someone on this board act like they knew what conversations were held between people in the inner circle, when in fact they just deduced it from some article they read somewhere. Or people hating on Schaub wearing his helmet on the sideline during the games when Keenum was playing, when most likely he was just wearing it so he could hear the play calls.

This board is my cocaine, and I can't get away from it, but it drives me nuts sometimes.

Texecutioner
01-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva

Kubes & mini-Shanny cage match!

I was really hoping that Kubiak would get interviews in Tennessee. Damn.

The Pencil Neck
01-11-2014, 04:43 PM
But this... about Kubiak has been out there for a long, long time. In year one we heard about him making David Carr cry.

I believe that was Rosenfels.

houstonspartan
01-11-2014, 09:00 PM

Well, Kubaik's brand of "accountability" led to...

- Constantly getting embarrassed by rookie QB's.

- Frequent embarrassment in big, prime time games.

- A mysterious inability to win games after bye weeks.

- frequent Red Zone disasters.

- Kickers and coaches keeping their jobs even after costing us numerous games.

- A QB disaster (from the so-called "QB guru")

- An inability to overtake a weak division and dominate.

Yeah, I'll pass on Kubiak's "accountability."

The Pencil Neck
01-12-2014, 12:37 AM
Well, Kubaik's brand of "accountability" led to...

- Constantly getting embarrassed by rookie QB's.

- Frequent embarrassment in big, prime time games.

- A mysterious inability to win games after bye weeks.

- frequent Red Zone disasters.

- Kickers and coaches keeping their jobs even after costing us numerous games.

- A QB disaster (from the so-called "QB guru")

- An inability to overtake a weak division and dominate.

Yeah, I'll pass on Kubiak's "accountability."

Perhaps the problem wasn't his accountability.

Corrosion
01-14-2014, 12:37 AM

Yeah , he's just some country hick who's too nice .... takes all the blame and never says a cross word to his players. :ahhaha:

Playoffs
01-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Ewww, Kubes up to replace Caldwell with Ravens...?

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Gary Kubiak is another name to keep in mind. Well-respected by Ravens, around the league

santo
01-14-2014, 03:06 PM

Jacoby is getting excited!!

:kubepalm:

nero THE zero
01-14-2014, 03:08 PM

That could be dangerous.

TexanSam
01-14-2014, 03:11 PM

Probably better than Caldwell.

Texecutioner
01-14-2014, 09:37 PM
That could be dangerous.

I like it. It would put the Ravens at a disadvantage in the playoffs if this happened. I expect the Texans to be playing the Ravens again a few times in big games if Harbaugh stays there. I hope that Kubiak goes to an AFC team.

thunderkyss
01-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Probably better than Caldwell.

I can't believe that guy is getting another shot at a HC gig. Super Bowl or no.....

handswarmer
01-15-2014, 07:47 AM
Whoa...

Would think Kub's would want some time off...

But my question is was Kubiak a good play caller, regardless of being the Head Coach, did he call a good game?

I went back and watched a lot of Texans games, want you fans opinions

Texn4life
01-15-2014, 07:52 AM
He called a great game if you like predictable play calling.

Premier
01-15-2014, 07:56 AM
kubiak is a stick to the script kinda guy.. very stubborn, non-risk taker.. we say he plays to not lose as opposed to playing to win..

Thorn
01-15-2014, 08:22 AM
kubiak is a stick to the script kinda guy.. very stubborn, non-risk taker.. we say he plays to not lose as opposed to playing to win..

Exactly. That describes Kubes perfectly.

_King_
01-15-2014, 08:23 AM
I think if kubiak can strictly focus on offense and not the big picture kind of stuff he can excel. Kubiak was not a good head coach. But I do believe he knows offense. I think part of the problem with his offense here was that he was trying to call plays and be the head coach and he just wasn't capable of doing all that. So he was stressed in too many directions and it affected his play calling....at times. Plus personnel issues...yada, yada, yada....I could go on for days...

But bottom line is I think if he can just do offense he'll be one of the better OC's out there. He won't be a good head coach unless he learned something and changes a lot. IMO.

revan
01-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Ravens looking for an OC?.

cstyle42
01-15-2014, 08:38 AM
Ravens looking for an OC?.

Lol with Caldwell being hired by Detriot...

handswarmer
01-15-2014, 09:00 AM

Damn, already been there....

infantrycak
01-15-2014, 09:12 AM
He called a great game if you like predictable play calling.

Damn, already been there....

Yeah handswarmer, probably a good idea to take the opinions of fans of a 2-14 team with a grain of salt. When the result is bad everything associated with it is bad. The interest Kubiak has received for both HC and OC belies NFL front offices sharing the predictable/game has passed him and the WCO by sentiments you will see here. Bottom line, with Kubiak at the helm and a non-elite QB the Texans were consistently top 10 in scoring and yards until this season when the wheels fell off the QB bus.

deucetx
01-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Whoa...

But my question is was Kubiak a good play caller, regardless of being the Head Coach, did he call a good game?

I think he's easily an upgrade over Caldwell. He does have some negatives as he can be predictible at times. The playing it safe or 'not to win' isn't something I would think on as much. He seemed to change that a bit this season even before the losing streak so I think with the Ravens personnel it could be different. Plus the final call will be the headcoach and the game plan where as that was Kubes choice wholly here.

Truth is, I think he'd be a pretty good coordinator. The amount of directions you must go as a head coach can divert your attention to say the least. But with him solely having to focus on the offense and with the likes of Flacco and Rice I think he could make things happen. A man in his position with the Texans had to know the limitations of his team and some of those don't exist with the Ravens (i.e. quarterback ability) so I really can't see a reason to not be at least slightly positive of bringing him on board. Flacco should give him some more flexibility than he had here.

So yeah, I could see it as a positive for the Ravens.

Hookem Horns
01-15-2014, 09:25 AM
I think he's easily an upgrade over Caldwell.

http://sitracking.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/jim-caldwell.jpg?w=600&h=375

Exascor
01-15-2014, 09:28 AM

Damn, already been there.... To be fair, Kubiak took risks early on but he seemed to get "once bitten twice shy" after a half back pass failed.

Also something happened in the last 2 years that seemed to change his style to...bad. Personally, I think he was trying to break tendencies from previous years and ended up creating easier to read tendencies. He used to call plays early in games that slowed the defense down. Screens, reverses... Then a well timed play action pass. 2013 was terrible. Everything was predictable.

He looked worn out mentally and physically. He needs a fresh start. He also needs a good HC/GM to keep personnel decisions straight. I think he'd be a really good OC I just wish he'd take a year off to recharge.

steelbtexan
01-15-2014, 10:12 AM
I think he's easily an upgrade over Caldwell. He does have some negatives as he can be predictible at times. The playing it safe or 'not to win' isn't something I would think on as much. He seemed to change that a bit this season even before the losing streak so I think with the Ravens personnel it could be different. Plus the final call will be the headcoach and the game plan where as that was Kubes choice wholly here.

Truth is, I think he'd be a pretty good coordinator. The amount of directions you must go as a head coach can divert your attention to say the least. But with him solely having to focus on the offense and with the likes of Flacco and Rice I think he could make things happen. A man in his position with the Texans had to know the limitations of his team and some of those don't exist with the Ravens (i.e. quarterback ability) so I really can't see a reason to not be at least slightly positive of bringing him on board. Flacco should give him some more flexibility than he had here.

So yeah, I could see it as a positive for the Ravens.

Great post

thunderkyss
01-15-2014, 10:54 AM
Whoa...

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. No way, no how.

He needs to go to an NFC team, put them consistently in the top 10 offenses in the league..... top 5 even, in yards & scoring.

You don't want none of that.

Playoffs
01-15-2014, 11:21 AM
But my question is was Kubiak a good play caller, regardless of being the Head Coach, did he call a good game?Top 5 OC in the league, IMO. Will benefit from reduced responsibilities focusing only on the offense and game plan. Problem is 1) system does not hold up well with sometimes just one underperforming piece, and 2) his very heavy reliance on ZBS will necessitate changes. Not sure I'd want to go from Caldwell to Kubiak with already good O personnel.

Also doubt Ravens would want to make their DWTS superstar Jacoby Jones unhappy -- no likey Coashh Kubes.

I think he's easily an upgrade over Caldwell.
http://sitracking.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/jim-caldwell.jpg?w=600&h=375
:spit:

Dutchrudder
01-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Whoa...

He could possibly work for you guys. I don't pay much attention to the Ravens o-line, but if I had to guess, I would think you don't currently have the personnel to implement his zone blocking scheme. He's a big fan of that, and I don't know if he's flexible enough to change that. You need to have some athletic guards that can pull and get to the next level quickly. You may have to get some guys that can run this system, or maybe you prefer guys with experience. I'm sure the Texans would be happy to help you on your way by trading you Derek Newton for some clam chowda.

I'm not sure how Ray Rice would do in this system. He doesn't seem to be able to hit the hole with consistency any more. Maybe that was just this season, but the positive thing is that the Texans were able to find RBs that worked in our system without spending a lot on them. You could probably find a capable one for a 4th round pick or so. Just a one cut runner who has above average vision should be enough to keep the defense honest and open up the passing game.

I think the best thing you would get out of a Kubiak offense is the play-action deep ball threat. You guys won a Super Bowl thanks to Caldwell letting Flacco air it out. There's no question that is a huge piece to a successful Flacco, and with Kubiak's scheming you could possibly improve in this area. You already have a few WRs that can go long every other play, and you have a QB with a really strong arm and a great deep ball, something we never had in Houston with Kubes. Kubiak absolutely loves to call the play-action pass, where the QB boots out to the side, scans the field, and throws the long ball 50 yards to a WR that beat his man. Jacoby or Torrey Smith would be just fine at running those routes.

The Ravens have some decent TEs already in Pitta and Dickson. Both seem capable of blocking and catching, which is a crucial component of the Kubiak offense. He loves him some TEs. You may need to upgrade this position though, unless you think one of them could be a probowl TE in the future. They need to be able to run some intermediate routes across the middle and outs to the sideline to fit in the Kubiak system. Here Owen Daniels was our QB safety blanket for years, and he was a good pass catcher when healthy. If you have that already, then Kubiak might be a great fit.

The big question mark is how will the Ravens do running the ball in the red zone. Cause in Houston, we don't really throw the ball in the RZ. It's just not the way to do things, Kubiak loves to run it. Once we got Arian Foster, our RZ TD % went up quite a bit. Foster was great at finding space in the blocking and shooting through the holes. He was even better when we had Vonta Leach to follow as well. So if you have a great FB that can fit that role, and a RB who's not functionally retarded, you should be good to go.

That's just my 2 cents.

infantrycak
01-15-2014, 11:28 AM
Also doubt Ravens would want to make their DWTS superstar Jacoby Jones unhappy -- no likey Coashh Kubes.

There is word JJ may be cut loose in Baltimore. Not enough production as a WR to justify his cap hit. Sounds familiar.

Mr. White
01-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Whoa...

I think he'll do a pretty good job with what you guys have over there. The transition to WCO took a long time to be implement over here, but I wouldn't think that would be necessary over there.

Seems like the offensive system is pretty damn good with a healthy Ray Rice.

handswarmer
01-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Thank you all for the feedback- I really do appreciate it.

Too many to quote so let me do this:

- Ravens hired Juan Castillo as Offensive Line coach - he was here last year after getting fired in Philly and established the Zone Blocking Scheme and installed some Stretch running plays. Ravens Oline is in flux- LT Eugene Monroe will be re-signed, LG Osemele might go to RT when he returns from injury so they will look for one in the draft, C will be in open competition as Gradkowski was a bust last year, RG Yanda will return and RT will be open as Oher will be let go (he's a bust- at both LT and RT)

- WR's: Ravens have plenty of burners: Smith is fine, Marlon Brown is coming on, Deonte Thompson couldn't see the field because of jacoby. Now JJ is interesting; awesome KR and PR. Was okay as a WR, his hands got a lot better but his route running is still poor- he rounds off a lot of routes but his cut and run style leaves the DB's in the dust. BUT, his price tag is going to be too much to afford for us. We have other possession types (Doss, etc) that can also return punts and kicks.

-TE's- Dickson (3rd rd) and Pitta (4th rd) are both FA's this year- Dickson was supposed to be the pass catcher but can't hold onto the ball; Pitta emerged last year as Flacco's go to guy as you saw in the playoffs. Matt Furstenburg spent the year on the practice squad and is ready ( in college here at Maryland, the called him "Matt FirstandTen") so Dickson is most likely gone. Fast guy but suspect hands, avg blocker.

-the Play action game is when Flacco is at his best but with no run game this year due to injury and poor Oline play kept it a minimum

- running the Air Coryell offense the last 6 years left little imagination in the play calling; 2 Wr's, 2 RB's and TE....or 1 WR, 2RB, 2 TE sets...no bunch formations on 1st down, only in desperation mode....so I wonder if the WCO would be better or would Kubiak be able to run the Coryell offense?

infantrycak
01-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Thank you all for the feedback- I really do appreciate it.

Too many to quote so let me do this:

- Ravens hired Juan Castillo as Offensive Line coach - he was here last year after getting fired in Philly and established the Zone Blocking Scheme and installed some Stretch running plays. Ravens Oline is in flux- LT Eugene Monroe will be re-signed, LG Osemele might go to RT when he returns from injury so they will look for one in the draft, C will be in open competition as Gradkowski was a bust last year, RG Yanda will return and RT will be open as Oher will be let go (he's a bust- at both LT and RT)

I thought I had heard that. With zone already in the works that is a big plus.

-TE's- Dickson (3rd rd) and Pitta (4th rd) are both FA's this year- Dickson was supposed to be the pass catcher but can't hold onto the ball; Pitta emerged last year as Flacco's go to guy as you saw in the playoffs. Matt Furstenburg spent the year on the practice squad and is ready ( in college here at Maryland, the called him "Matt FirstandTen") so Dickson is most likely gone. Fast guy but suspect hands, avg blocker.

Kubiak doesn't need freakish athletes as TE's. They need to feel zones well and have good hands. He schemes to get them stupid open.

-the Play action game is when Flacco is at his best but with no run game this year due to injury and poor Oline play kept it a minimum

If Flacco has a good fake, then you'd do well with Kubiak. He managed to have the Texans lead the league off play action even with the 30th rushing attack. Aren't you expecting a bounce back from Rice?

_King_
01-15-2014, 12:32 PM
If kubiak goes to Baltimore I wouldn't mind trading him Ben jones or Chris Meyers, OD, and bonner...he can have Keyshawn Martin as a throw in.

handswarmer
01-15-2014, 12:38 PM
There is word JJ may be cut loose in Baltimore. Not enough production as a WR to justify his cap hit. Sounds familiar.

Just can't pay a guy that kind of money to return kicks and punts and not get more production at WR position

Now he did miss a bunch of games this year also.

Extrapolating his game stats over 16 games he would have been 49 catches for 606 yds 3TD's...

He is a free agent as of march 1st

handswarmer
01-15-2014, 12:44 PM
I thought I had heard that. With zone already in the works that is a big plus.
Yes- and before Castillo got here they would run the stretch plays, but that was a different type of Olineman back then...they are getting more athletic and less "mauler" types...

Kubiak doesn't need freakish athletes as TE's. They need to feel zones well and have good hands. He schemes to get them stupid open.
Pitta and Flacco are BFF's on and off the field- Pitta was drafted as a blocker/Dickson was supposed to be the playmaker- they have switched roles... Only way Dickson comes back is if its at league min...Pitta is at his best finding the soft spot in a zone or running the seam routes and working the middle of the field.

If Flacco has a good fake, then you'd do well with Kubiak. He managed to have the Texans lead the league off play action even with the 30th rushing attack. Aren't you expecting a bounce back from Rice?

Flacco has a great fake; Rice had a quad and the hip this year besides a ****ty oline so yes I expect a huge season from him. I think he had SB hangover...

houstonspartan
01-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Top 5 OC in the league, IMO. Will benefit from reduced responsibilities focusing only on the offense and game plan. Problem is 1) system does not hold up well with sometimes just one underperforming piece, and 2) his very heavy reliance on ZBS will necessitate changes. Not sure I'd want to go from Caldwell to Kubiak with already good O personnel.

:spit:

Jacoby doesn't like Kubiak? Since when? Kubiak coddled and babied him the entire time he was here.

The Pencil Neck
01-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Kubiak's approach is to throw early/run late. He wants to get out to an early lead and then choke the hell out of the opponent with a time-consuming run game with a dink and dunk clock-burning passing game.

He wants to run even if the defense is loading the box. He wants to show the defense the same thing over and over again but do different things off of it. He likes lots of 2 TE stuff and if possible, he'll run 3 TEs.

Any formation will be either run or pass. Although he is mostly a ZBS guy, he's incorporated a lot of other things into it. So you'll see a lot more pulling linemen and TEs going into motion and leading the RB into the hole. He does well with a blocking and receiving FB.

He believes in YAC so he will dial up plays that are short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down and ask the receiver to run for the first.

I think he's one of the better OCs in the league and I'd prefer he go to the NFC. There are a lot of people here who think his offense is old and outdated but it still works great as long as the QB is making good decisions. (Which Schaub stopped doing.) His offense isn't an "audible" based offense. The QB can't come to the line, survey the defense alignment, and then totally change the play; however, based on what he reads, the QB usually has a wide variety of options and he can shift the play from one variation to another and the play is supposed to be designed to handle all variations. So it's up to the QB to make the right determination.

I heard someone say that the QB can't shift the protections in this offense to take care of blitzes, but I think that's incorrect. I think the problem there was that our QBs weren't making the right reads and calls this year.

But unlike the best coaches who can take a collection of players and design an offense to make the best use of them, Kubiak is a system guy who gets the right players for his system and sticks them in. BUT. He can frequently get those guys in the later rounds or as UDFAs.

handswarmer
01-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Kubiak's approach is to throw early/run late. He wants to get out to an early lead and then choke the hell out of the opponent with a time-consuming run game with a dink and dunk clock-burning passing game.

He wants to run even if the defense is loading the box. He wants to show the defense the same thing over and over again but do different things off of it. He likes lots of 2 TE stuff and if possible, he'll run 3 TEs.

Any formation will be either run or pass. Although he is mostly a ZBS guy, he's incorporated a lot of other things into it. So you'll see a lot more pulling linemen and TEs going into motion and leading the RB into the hole. He does well with a blocking and receiving FB.

He believes in YAC so he will dial up plays that are short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down and ask the receiver to run for the first.

I think he's one of the better OCs in the league and I'd prefer he go to the NFC. There are a lot of people here who think his offense is old and outdated but it still works great as long as the QB is making good decisions. (Which Schaub stopped doing.) His offense isn't an "audible" based offense. The QB can't come to the line, survey the defense alignment, and then totally change the play; however, based on what he reads, the QB usually has a wide variety of options and he can shift the play from one variation to another and the play is supposed to be designed to handle all variations. So it's up to the QB to make the right determination.

I heard someone say that the QB can't shift the protections in this offense to take care of blitzes, but I think that's incorrect. I think the problem there was that our QBs weren't making the right reads and calls this year.

But unlike the best coaches who can take a collection of players and design an offense to make the best use of them, Kubiak is a system guy who gets the right players for his system and sticks them in. BUT. He can frequently get those guys in the later rounds or as UDFAs.

We have two TE's (Pitta and Furstenburg) and Vontae Leach as FB and Kyle Justyck as FB/H-back so it would work with grinding out the clock

Flacco had two plays everytime he came to the line -run and pass. that was it.

Double Barrel
01-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Matt Schaub had three 4,000+ passing yard seasons with Kubiak's offense (one was a game away from breaking 5,000 yards).

I think Kubiak could set up Flacco for some great things, especially with a solid run game that really greases the wheels of his heavy play-action schemes.

And with a solid-to-great Ravens defense that can protect leads, I think the Ravens could really find some success with Kubiak as OC.

I know a lot of folks believe it was getting predictable in Houston, and I understand the perspective. But, as a coordinator, he will not have the final say. He might be calling plays, but he will be doing it within the framework of having a head coach that has ultimate say in game plans. Harbaugh has already shown that he's a great HC, so Kubiak would be a great assistant for him. I'd wish him luck, but not as a Raven.

The Pencil Neck
01-15-2014, 02:21 PM
We have two TE's (Pitta and Furstenburg) and Vontae Leach as FB and Kyle Justyck as FB/H-back so it would work with grinding out the clock

Like I said, I do not want him in the AFC. I think he'd do a really good job with your team.

BUT...

It all comes down to Flacco's decision making. Pitta and Smith could be All-Pro in Kubiak's offense.

thunderkyss
01-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Like I said, I do not want him in the AFC. I think he'd do a really good job with your team.

BUT...

It all comes down to Flacco's decision making. Pitta and Smith could be All-Pro in Kubiak's offense.

He'll make Flacco look elite in the regular season.

handswarmer
01-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Matt Schaub had three 4,000+ passing yard seasons with Kubiak's offense (one was a game away from breaking 5,000 yards).

I think Kubiak could set up Flacco for some great things, especially with a solid run game that really greases the wheels of his heavy play-action schemes.

And with a solid-to-great Ravens defense that can protect leads, I think the Ravens could really find some success with Kubiak as OC.

I know a lot of folks believe it was getting predictable in Houston, and I understand the perspective. But, as a coordinator, he will not have the final say. He might be calling plays, but he will be doing it within the framework of having a head coach that has ultimate say in game plans. Harbaugh has already shown that he's a great HC, so Kubiak would be a great assistant for him. I'd wish him luck, but not as a Raven.

Harbaugh doesn't have any input into play calling; he lets the OC call the game. He might radio in "Lets run the ball here" or "Take a shot downfield" but not actually calling plays.

handswarmer
01-16-2014, 10:35 AM
He'll make Flacco look elite in the regular season.

And in the postseason.....?

thunderkyss
01-16-2014, 10:39 AM

Flacco's got that under control.

santo
01-16-2014, 10:48 AM

That's Harbaugh's job.

:shades:

I wouldn't worry too much about what Kubes will do. You still have Harbaugh running the show, so Kubiak will be able to concentrate more on making the offense more efficient.

He was able to score points on almost any defense, even against the Patriots.

Double Barrel
01-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Harbaugh doesn't have any input into play calling; he lets the OC call the game. He might radio in "Lets run the ball here" or "Take a shot downfield" but not actually calling plays.

That's pretty much what I was saying. It sometimes felt like Kubiak would out-think himself, especially in the red zone. But as an OC, he had a good track record. He might be a coordinator that can make great calls 95% of the time, but needs someone over him that sees a bigger picture for the crucial decisions.

Hopefully, Kubiak gets rid of that play that throws an 8 yard pass when you need 9 yards. ;)

Playoffs
01-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Harbaugh... might radio in "Lets run the ball here"...Kubes: It's 3rd & 7, we always run here.

Harbaugh... might radio in "Take a shot downfield" but not actually calling plays.Kubes: No.

ChampionTexan
01-16-2014, 11:44 AM

Somewhat off topic, but do you have any concerns that Vontae's skills may be diminishing?

Playoffs
01-16-2014, 12:10 PM
If Hamilton lands the job, the Colts might move quickly to find a replacement. Some have mentioned former Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak as a possibility. That would be a great hire, given his NFL experience and knowledge of the AFC South. He's known for the strong use of a running game, which Colts coach Chuck Pagano would appreciate.http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140116/SPORTS/140119718/1007/OPINION

handswarmer
01-16-2014, 01:53 PM
That's pretty much what I was saying. It sometimes felt like Kubiak would out-think himself, especially in the red zone. But as an OC, he had a good track record. He might be a coordinator that can make great calls 95% of the time, but needs someone over him that sees a bigger picture for the crucial decisions.

Hopefully, Kubiak gets rid of that play that throws an 8 yard pass when you need 9 yards. ;)

Id take that over the 4 yd pass when you need 11yds....:overreact:

handswarmer
01-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Somewhat off topic, but do you have any concerns that Vontae's skills may be diminishing?

alot of offenses don't have a true FB any more...Rice has always had one since he got here...

Vontae still hits the hole hard...the problem this year was that the Oline was so poor, Rb's were getting hit in the backfield alot....

He might be a cap casualty this year- they let him go and there was little interest in him last year....then he re-signed....

infantrycak
01-16-2014, 01:57 PM

Id take that over the 4 yd pass when you need 11yds....:overreact:

I don't understand why completely but that's league wide nowadays.

It used to drive Landry f'n insane if receivers didn't run their routes past the sticks.

handswarmer
01-16-2014, 02:03 PM
I don't understand why completely but that's league wide nowadays.

It used to drive Landry f'n insane if receivers didn't run their routes past the sticks.

i guess the thought is that the athleticism will allow them to get the additional yardgage but thats rare....unless they are playing us and we desperately need a stop to win the game and go to the playofffs for the 6th straight year....doh!

drives me nuts also...especially when I watch teams like the Packers, Texans, Chargers, etc run routes in the 10-20yd range that move the ball downfield and get 1st downs....

kinda sick of the Bronco's and Patriots with their little 5 yd Dink and Dunk crap...

can't wait to hear "Omaha" about 40 bazillion times this weekend- last year it was "hurry hurry"

Playoffs
01-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
No Kubiak. Thought he'd fit there. RT @Ravens: Coach John Harbaugh names 4 candidates in the OC search. FULL STORY | http://bit.ly/1kUtM68

handswarmer
01-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
No Kubiak. Thought he'd fit there. RT @Ravens: Coach John Harbaugh names 4 candidates in the OC search. FULL STORY | http://bit.ly/1kUtM68

I am very disappointed that Harbaugh didn't seriously consider Kubes....Harbaugh's loyalty gene is going to get him fired.....

Goatcheese
01-23-2014, 12:50 PM
I am very disappointed that Harbaugh didn't seriously consider Kubes....Harbaugh's loyalty gene is going to get him fired.....

Coach hirings are more complicated than most fans realize. They have to consider how the coach fits the current players, how long it will take him to implement his offense and acquire talent to run it, etc. I imagine the Ravens are looking for somebody who will run something similar to their current system instead of bringing in a coach with his own complicated offense. They feel like they're ready to win now and taking a year or two to get the offense into the top 5 you would expect from Kubiak isn't in their plans.

HOU-TEX
01-23-2014, 02:18 PM
At least Kubiak's had interviews. Wade hasn't even gotten a phone call

htownfan32
01-23-2014, 02:23 PM
At least Kubiak's had interviews. Wade hasn't even gotten a phone call

Guess that shows what NFL personnel thought of our coaching situation.

JCTexan
01-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Hear there’s interest in Gary Kubiak for #Browns OC job. Would make sense, given team’s FA love for RB Ben Tate, who’d be in the same system

Don't understand the Tate comment. He was in Kubiak's doghouse for the majority of his time here, Tate even made a comment about it at the end of the season.

ChampionTexan
01-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Don't understand the Tate comment. He was in Kubiak's doghouse for the majority of his time here, Tate even made a comment about it at the end of the season.

I think he simply means that Tate is a good fit (one cut and go) in the system Kubiak would run.

I don't really view the idea of Tate and Kubiak together as that big a stretch. Kubiak and Mike Lombardi seems a bigger one to me. Although Lombardi doesn't really seem to do anything up there, so I guess he probably has zero input on OC decisions.

Texecutioner
01-24-2014, 01:00 PM

You guys were saved. Lol!

HOU-TEX
01-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Supposedly, the Browns have been chubbed up over Tate for a few years now.

And you're right, I don't think there'd be any way Kubiak would bring him with.

Playoffs
01-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Browns...

Kubiak, whose alma mater is A&M...

and Johnny Manziel at #4.

So it is written,
So it shall be done.

revan
01-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Browns...

So it is written,
So it shall be done.

Oh snap, like a prophecy.

b0ng
01-24-2014, 07:58 PM
I have a feeling that as an OC Kubiak will be perfectly fine, the major worry about him was that stroke he had this past season. His offenses were pretty good in Houston and I think he had a decent eye for offensive talent. If he goes to the Browns (currently the rumor) I think paired with a guy like Pettine they could make some waves next year, and then promptly get fired anyway. The Browns seem like they have a some talented offensive players (Gordon, Thomas, Mack) so I could see it working, but that whole place seems like such a clown show that it's hard to predict any kind of success for that team.

Corrosion
01-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Browns...

So it is written,
So it shall be done.

Don't think this has a snowballs chance in hell of happening.

Playoffs
01-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Don't think this has a snowballs chance in hell of happening.

:lol:

Kubiak declined their interest. Even Gary knows better than to align himself with Lombardi. Smart play.

He'll have choices at the end of next season.

Texecutioner
01-24-2014, 09:06 PM
:lol:

Kubiak declined their interest. Even Gary knows better than to align himself with Lombardi. Smart play.

He'll have choices at the end of next season.

The Jags baby. The Jags. :bravo:

I'm very hopeful of that.

steelbtexan
01-24-2014, 11:03 PM
I have a feeling that as an OC Kubiak will be perfectly fine, the major worry about him was that stroke he had this past season. His offenses were pretty good in Houston and I think he had a decent eye for offensive talent. If he goes to the Browns (currently the rumor) I think paired with a guy like Pettine they could make some waves next year, and then promptly get fired anyway. The Browns seem like they have a some talented offensive players (Gordon, Thomas, Mack) so I could see it working, but that whole place seems like such a clown show that it's hard to predict any kind of success for that team.

Of course to be fair, you thought Gary was the man to lead the Texans to the SB.

Goatcheese
01-25-2014, 10:44 PM
Of course to be fair, you thought Gary was the man to lead the Texans to the SB.

If Schaub and Mario stayed healthy in 2011, that was a Super Bowl winning team. Schaub was doing whatever he wanted on offense and was near the top of the league in most passing categories despite the Texans mostly running clock in the second half after building a big lead in the first. Mario was making OTs look like highschool kids and Barwin/Reid looked good too.

Kubiak didn't suddenly forget how to coach, the team he built was dismantled because of injuries and the salary cap.

infantrycak
01-25-2014, 10:51 PM
If Schaub and Mario stayed healthy in 2011, that was a Super Bowl winning team. Schaub was doing whatever he wanted on offense and was near the top of the league in most passing categories despite the Texans mostly running clock in the second half after building a big lead in the first. Mario was making OTs look like highschool kids and Barwin/Reid looked good too.

Kubiak didn't suddenly forget how to coach, the team he built was dismantled because of injuries and the salary cap.

Other than having a rule against Super Bowl predictions in the past, agreed.

Playoffs
01-26-2014, 11:40 PM
Rick Dennison is highly regarded by John Harbaugh and in NFL circles, according to sources

Ravens coach John Harbaugh has spoken with former Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison during the past few days, according to source

TexanSam
01-27-2014, 09:36 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10358632/gary-kubiak-former-houston-texans-coach-favorite-baltimore-ravens-offensive-coordinator

Former Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak has emerged as the favorite for the Baltimore Ravens' vacant offensive coordinator job, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Kubiak, who was fired by the Texans in December, wants to bring former Houston offensive coordinator Rick Dennison and former Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan with him to Baltimore, sources told Schefter.

The Ravens are attempting to assemble their offensive coaching "dream team" with the recruitment of Kubiak, Dennison and Shanahan, according to sources.

Kubiak and Dennison both met with Ravens officials Sunday in Baltimore, sources said.

htowntexans1985
01-27-2014, 10:21 AM
I hate the rat birds. But if they hire kubiak and reunite him with shanny, it would be a good move.

Playoffs
01-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Strange process.

thunderkyss
01-27-2014, 12:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10358632/gary-kubiak-former-houston-texans-coach-favorite-baltimore-ravens-offensive-coordinator

I didn't know Harbaugh coached with Rhodes & the Eagles.
He was first hired in the NFL in 1998 by the Philadelphia Eagles' then head coach Ray Rhodes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harbaugh),

Nitrofish
01-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Looks like the Texans have not seen the last of Gary Kubiak. Texans face Ravens in Reliant in 2014!

Gary Kubiak, the former head coach of the Houston Texans, has emerged as the Ravens' leading candidate, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. If the Ravens were looking to make a splash at offensive coordinator, this is the biggest one they could make right now for an offense that finished No. 29 in the NFL this past season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/6305/ravens-would-make-splash-with-kubiak

HoustonFrog
01-27-2014, 01:32 PM
He is hired..though disagree that he is really run first

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/282550/Ravens-land-Kubiak-as-offensive-coordinator?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ravens hired Gary Kubiak as offensive coordinator.

It's a strong hire for one of the NFL's top coaching staff-front office combinations. Kubiak is expected to bring along Rick Dennison from Houston, likely as offensive line coach. A run-first mind, Kubiak employs a Shanahanian zone-blocking scheme and will likely scale back Joe Flacco's pass attempts dramatically after he set a career high with over 600 in 2013. The Ravens need to upgrade their up-front talent and potentially shake up their running back corps. It's worth noting Bernard Pierce drew Arian Foster comparisons coming out of Temple two years ago. A la Owen Daniels/Garrett Graham, look for Dennis Pitta's red-zone opportunities to increase, assuming the Ravens re-sign him.

MistaRed
01-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Good luck to Kubes....except against us.

htowntexans1985
01-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Going to be odd seeing ol kubes in purple and black.

The Pencil Neck
01-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Going to be odd seeing ol kubes in purple and black.

I bet Jacoby and Vonta are psyched. Well. Vonta, at any rate.

I wish Kubes the best except when he's playing us.

Playoffs
01-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro

I guess they circled back around... maybe met some demands... maybe feel adding Dennisen ... will give continuity when Kubes leaves... I dunno?

Whatever. Best of luck to Gary...

As best as his interests don't conflict with ours. http://www.clker.com/cliparts/e/e/e/1/13136926561071697694Godfather.svg

TheIronDuke
01-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Man them Ravens love their Texans cast-offs. They usually make better use of them than we did though, a lot of that was Kubiak's doing. Worst of luck to Kubes and the Ravens since I hate the Ravens.

Double Barrel
01-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Good luck, Kubiak. Until you play the Texans, of course.

Thorn
01-27-2014, 02:23 PM
meh....whatever. He had to land someplace. As long as it wasn't with an AFCS team, I don't care about Kubiak any more than I care about what is happening to Capers. Wherever the **** he is.

Vance87
01-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Watch Baltimore break the points record.......

Nitrofish
01-27-2014, 02:41 PM
meh....whatever. He had to land someplace. As long as it wasn't with an AFCS team, I don't care about Kubiak any more than I care about what is happening to Capers. Wherever the **** he is.

If you don't care, then why did you say...

As long as it wasn't with an AFCS team

infantrycak
01-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Well it appears Ozzie Newsome "the greatest GM in the NFL" is about to give a giant one of these to all the Texans fans who claimed the NFL had passed by Kubiak and his offense:

http://www.silberstudios.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/johnny-cash-finger.jpg

Blake
01-27-2014, 02:54 PM
I don't care about Kubiak any more than I care about what is happening to Capers. Wherever the **** he is.

Really? You don't know that Capers is the DC in Green Bay where he helped them win the SB in 2010?

houstonspartan
01-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Well it appears Ozzie Newsome "the greatest GM in the NFL" is about to give a giant one of these to all the Texans fans who claimed the NFL had passed by Kubiak and his offense:

http://www.silberstudios.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/johnny-cash-finger.jpg

I still think Kubiak's offense is stale, boring and predictable. Just because they hired him, doesn't mean it isn't. The NFL is probably the most insular business in the country. People fail up, and get hired by their buddies.

I wish Kubiak the best because he's a good dude. But as a play caller, he's terrible.

Onward.

Thorn
01-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Really? You don't know that Capers is the DC in Green Bay where he helped them win the SB in 2010?

I remember him being with someone, but not specifically which team. So now I know. Not that I will remember this in a few weeks.

If you don't care, then why did you say...

Because of his knowledge of the current players could be helpful for a division rival, even though the playbook will be changed.

TheMatrix31
01-27-2014, 03:01 PM
Too bad he had to go to the Ravens, but a great move by them to get him.

HJam72
01-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Hmmmmm. Kubiak with a Superbowl winning QB (that he didn't choose) again...

Blake
01-27-2014, 03:04 PM

Ozzie is still waiting for that overpriced Flacco contract to pan out first. probably why he thought a QB guru was a good hire.

Playoffs
01-27-2014, 03:15 PM

And now Gary will finally learn what every other defense in the league seemed to know in 2013 -- how he was tipping his playcalling last year.

Said it before... top 5 OC.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfAxg_MIYAAhkmc.jpg

Marcus
01-27-2014, 03:22 PM
I still think Kubiak's offense is stale, boring and predictable. Just because they hired him, doesn't mean it isn't. The NFL is probably the most insular business in the country. People fail up, and get hired by their buddies.

Or, it's really because "their buddies" know what's going on, and fans don't know sh!t.

Yeah, I think I'll go with that one. Nice move, Newsome! I get a kick out out of it when GMs tell fans to go f'ck themselves. :)

Double Barrel
01-27-2014, 04:07 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfAxg_MIYAAhkmc.jpg

'eh, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

I have very little doubt that the Ravens win the AFC East in 2014.

eriadoc
01-27-2014, 04:09 PM
Flacco's going to turn out to be a very good QB now. Expect his completion percentage to hit mid-60s and his TD:INT to be something like his 2010 25:10 ratio. Good move for the Ravens.

4Texans
01-27-2014, 04:09 PM
Congrats to Kubiak. I think he landed in a good spot, and working with the Ravens organization will really help him in the future.

Dutchrudder
01-27-2014, 04:12 PM

That would be quite a feat, considering they are in the AFC North. I'd be happy to see it though, it sure would piss of Tom Brady!

Double Barrel
01-27-2014, 04:16 PM
That would be quite a feat, considering they are in the AFC North. I'd be happy to see it though, it sure would piss of Tom Brady!

lol! d'oh! Brain fart. :rake:

Corrosion
01-27-2014, 04:26 PM
Flacco's going to turn out to be a very good QB now. Expect his completion percentage to hit mid-60s and his TD:INT to be something like his 2010 25:10 ratio. Good move for the Ravens.

They have a lot of talent that fits what Gary does offensively .... They could be the team to beat in the AFC next year.

drs23
01-27-2014, 04:44 PM
They have a lot of talent that fits what Gary does offensively .... They could be the team to beat in the AFC next year.

Nuhuh, that'd be the Texans! :pigfly:

Playoffs
01-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Ravens are expected to hire former Texans tight ends coach Brian Pariani as replacement for Wade Harman, according to sources

Funny...

Ravens becoming Texans North,

Texans becoming Patriots South.

nero THE zero
01-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Oy. Ravens are going to be a force next year.

Really wish Kubiak could have found work in the NFC.

handswarmer
01-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Ozzie is still waiting for that overpriced Flacco contract to pan out first. probably why he thought a QB guru was a good hire.

Flacco's deal is 3 years 63 million.....look past the hype.

handswarmer
01-27-2014, 06:57 PM

I wish Kubiak the best because he's a good dude. But as a play caller, he's terrible.

Onward.

Ozzie Newsome is the least 'best buddy' as far as hiring people he knows and played with...

Ozzie never plays that game...

handswarmer
01-27-2014, 07:00 PM
I am a very very happy Raven fan right now...

I was sure that they would Hire the W's coach Hostler as OC because Harbaugh's loyalty is blind to reality.

I am smell Ozzie and Bisciotti's hands in this move....Harbaugh being told to fall in line and hire Kubes.....

I always like Kubes as a coach.

Playoffs
01-27-2014, 07:01 PM
This will work nicely, b/c Flacco will stay in pocket a bit longer and look down field, and he has an arm. But Ravens need WR help and TE help and a Center.

drs23
01-27-2014, 07:05 PM
I am a very very happy Raven fan right now...

I was sure that they would Hire the W's coach Hostler as OC because Harbaugh's loyalty is blind to reality.

I am smell Ozzie and Bisciotti's hands in this move....Harbaugh being told to fall in line and hire Kubes.....

I always like Kubes as a coach.

Sounds like a couple of smart fellers. :D

handswarmer
01-27-2014, 07:07 PM
This will work nicely, b/c Flacco will stay in pocket a bit longer and look down field, and he has an arm. But Ravens need WR help and TE help and a Center.

Wr's are young- Smith is not a legit #1 yet, marlon Brown is learning, Thompson, Tandon Doss, Aaron Mellete are also young and learning.

Jacoby might not be back- which would hurt ST more than at WR psoition.

Pitta is coming back; Matt Furstenberg is an up and comer.

Center was an area that experienced a huge drop off.

Losing LG Osemele to injury hurt as backup center was playing LG. When Osemele comes back he might go back to RG as Oher is gone.So we will need a LG. and competition for C.

kingtexan
01-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Best of luck to Gary. Didn't work out here but he seems like a good guy and part of Houston football history.

htowntexans1985
01-27-2014, 09:40 PM

Their is this guy named Peyton. He plays for the Broncos. Which play in the AFC. Which automatically makes them the favorite. Don't let your love for kubes cloud your vision. I would even say the Colts, Bengals, chiefs, patriots, and chargers are all better than the ravens at this point. The ravens need a rb and help on the oline. Who knows, flacco might run off kubiak in week 6.

Brisco_County
01-27-2014, 09:45 PM
I always thought Flacco would've been the ideal QB in the Texans offense. I'm anxious to see this actually happen.

The big risk is how soon the linemen can learn the pure ZBS. All success hinges on that.

I'm happy for Kubiak though.

Playoffs
01-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Kubiak hiring may be a signal... (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/27/kubiak-hiring-may-be-a-signal-bisciottis-more-involved/)
But the more intriguing note from Preston is that the move was driven by owner Steve Bisciotti and General Manager Ozzie Newsome, and that head coach John Harbaugh was a “non-factor” in the move.
But that would signal something well less than a mandate for head coach John Harbaugh, who you would think was rather secure since he won a Super Bowl a year ago.

Bisciotti previously declared to Preston he was patient, “but I don’t have to be patient enough to let people repeat failure.”

“I’ll be more apt to get my way next year if their solutions don’t change the problems. That’s fair, that’s where I am as owner,” he said. “They know they’ve failed, they know they need to change, and to make improvements. If it’s not the way I think it should be and then it fails again, then obviously it comes down to owner-head coach relationship.”

Ben Frank
01-27-2014, 11:09 PM
Only fitting.. Baltimore always have tried to follow in our footsteps with the ZBS, I should have known that's where he was gonna end up..

BullNation4Life
01-28-2014, 12:44 AM
WTH with the Ravens taking the Texans outcasts?

Wonder how this is gonna work, seeing Kubiak was one of the guys that Harbaugh said didn't believe in Jacoby Jones when Harbaugh asked Jones how it felt to finally have a coach that believes in him after one of Jones' punt returns.

Now he has to coach him again as a WR?

Awkward...

revan
01-28-2014, 02:53 AM
Dennison right there with him. Jeez if anyone had any doubts that Kubes had a buddy system going on this is proof enough. Marciano never had his job in jeopardy and if it were not for Mr. Mcnair, we would not have had Phillips. Good ridance and goodbye, I know we will only see good things from here on out in Houston with that whole system gone.

htownfan32
01-28-2014, 03:30 AM

They are likely to draft Mike Evans or Jace Amaro/Eric Ebron/Seferian-Jenkins now

Nitrofish
01-28-2014, 03:42 AM

Onward.

I guess when the Texans host the Ravens this year in Reliant, we will see if you, and many of the other Kubiak haters are right. Better start getting your excuse list together now though.

I remember him being with someone, but not specifically which team. So now I know. Not that I will remember this in a few weeks.

Because of his knowledge of the current players could be helpful for a division rival, even though the playbook will be changed.

So how would that be helpful if the entire system has changed? You mean they would try to exploit players physical tendencies? I highly doubt that would be of any use to another team. I think it's more likely that you do not want to have to hear it from other fans when Kubiak Succeeds and debunks all of the crap you Kubiak haters spewed for years now.

Dennison right there with him. Jeez if anyone had any doubts that Kubes had a buddy system going on this is proof enough. Marciano never had his job in jeopardy and if it were not for Mr. Mcnair, we would not have had Phillips. Good ridance and goodbye, I know we will only see good things from here on out in Houston with that whole system gone.

I know this is a stretch, but is it at all possible that Dennison is with him because he is good at what he does, and knows the system saving Kubiak time and energy? If it was all about your buddies, then wouldn't every coach Kubiak hired be with him now in Baltimore?

I can tell you, I have brought people with me when I switched companies, but not because they were my friends, but rather because they were good at what they did, and I did not have to train a new person to do it how I want it done. Why is everything a conspiracy with some people?

Gary is a good dude, and good at what he does, and I hope he has success in Baltimore, and yeah I will probably be secretly rooting for him when he comes to Reliant in 2014 for a little payback for the lousy way he was let go from the Texans.

revan
01-28-2014, 04:15 AM
I guess when the Texans host the Ravens this year in Reliant, we will see if you, and many of the other Kubiak haters are right. Better start getting your excuse list together now though.

So how would that be helpful if the entire system has changed? You mean they would try to exploit players physical tendencies? I highly doubt that would be of any use to another team. I think it's more likely that you do not want to have to hear it from other fans when Kubiak Succeeds and debunks all of the crap you Kubiak haters spewed for years now.

I know this is a stretch, but is it at all possible that Dennison is with him because he is good at what he does, and knows the system saving Kubiak time and energy? If it was all about your buddies, then wouldn't every coach Kubiak hired be with him now in Baltimore?

I can tell you, I have brought people with me when I switched companies, but not because they were my friends, but rather because they were good at what they did, and I did not have to train a new person to do it how I want it done. Why is everything a conspiracy with some people?

Gary is a good dude, and good at what he does, and I hope he has success in Baltimore, and yeah I will probably be secretly rooting for him when he comes to Reliant in 2014 for a little payback for the lousy way he was let go from the Texans.

Fair points. I dont think every coach can be hired because its Harbaugh's show not Kubiak's though. Thats why the fact that Dennison was there also at the same time brought that assumption for me. I dont think he is a bad OC but he did leave a bad taste for me in Houston as a HC.

Nitrofish
01-28-2014, 04:38 AM
Fair points. I dont think every coach can be hired because its Harbaugh's show not Kubiak's though. Thats why the fact that Dennison was there also at the same time brought that assumption for me. I dont think he is a bad OC but he did leave a bad taste for me in Houston as a HC.

Reports are that Harbaugh was out of the loop when it came to this hire. In other words, Newsome and the owner are forcing Kubiak on Harbaugh. So it would not be too much of a stretch to believe that if Kubiak wanted to play "The Good Ol' Boy" game he could have.

It has also been reported that Kubiak turned down the Browns offer as OC because they would not allow the kind of control he was requesting, which means he asked for the same kind of control from the Ravens and got it.

If Kubiak's offense does well, I could envision him as the Ravens Head Coach within the next 3-5 years.

Lucky
01-28-2014, 07:32 AM
But the more intriguing note from Preston is that the move was driven by owner Steve Bisciotti and General Manager Ozzie Newsome, and that head coach John Harbaugh was a “non-factor” in the move.
Good for Gary Kubiak and all that. But if this is true, that sucks for John Harbaugh. The guy delivered a Lombardi trophy to the owner a year ago. And the team's decline had a lot more to do with free agent losses, retirements, and injuries than poor coaching.

There's a time for an owner to step in and impose his will (McNair hiring Wade, for instance). One year after a Super Bowl win is not that time. I can't see how foisting Kubiak on Harbaugh will be good for team chemistry. Maybe Harbaugh (a career 5-1 vs. Kubiak) knows something that the owner and GM don't?

Nitrofish
01-28-2014, 08:00 AM
Spent some time on the Ravens board and they seem overjoyed with the hire. Don't they know Kubiak is a loser, and everything bad that happened to the Texans was his fault and his offense is conservative, stale, & predictable?

Aren't they aware that the NFL has passed Kubiak by, and his career is over? You mean a recent Super Bowl winner is interested in a washed up loser like Kubiak? They could have had someone newer, and fresher, but they went with Kubiak?

All you Kubiak experts need to get over to their message board right away and explain to them what a horrible mistake they are making.

OzzO
01-28-2014, 08:12 AM
Spent some time on the Ravens board and they seem overjoyed with the hire. Don't they know Kubiak is a loser, and everything bad that happened to the Texans was his fault and his offense is conservative, stale, & predictable?

Aren't they aware that the NFL has passed Kubiak by, and his career is over? You mean a recent Super Bowl winner is interested in a washed up loser like Kubiak? They could have had someone newer, and fresher, but they went with Kubiak?

All you Kubiak experts need to get over to their message board right away and explain to them what a horrible mistake they are making.

Nah, they'll find out on their own.

Blake
01-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Flacco's deal is 3 years 63 million.....look past the hype.

How does that refute my argument that it is an overpriced contract? Even at 3 years 63 million Joe is taking up over 12% of your teams salary cap the next 2 seasons. Even if you do cut him after that you are still going to have 12 million in dead money the 2 seasons after that.

Thorn
01-28-2014, 08:50 AM

Funny...

Ravens becoming Texans North,

Texans becoming Patriots South.

I'd rather be a Patriots clone than a Texans clone.

thunderkyss
01-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Their is this guy named Peyton. He plays for the Broncos. Which play in the AFC. Which automatically makes them the favorite. Don't let your love for kubes cloud your vision. I would even say the Colts, Bengals, chiefs, patriots, and chargers are all better than the ravens at this point. The ravens need a rb and help on the oline. Who knows, flacco might run off kubiak in week 6.

If Kubiak can make Schaub look nigh elite, I think he's going to make Flacco elite.

thunderkyss
01-28-2014, 09:53 AM
Good for Gary Kubiak and all that. But if this is true, that sucks for John Harbaugh. The guy delivered a Lombardi trophy to the owner a year ago. And the team's decline had a lot more to do with free agent losses, retirements, and injuries than poor coaching.

There's a time for an owner to step in and impose his will (McNair hiring Wade, for instance). One year after a Super Bowl win is not that time. I can't see how foisting Kubiak on Harbaugh will be good for team chemistry. Maybe Harbaugh (a career 5-1 vs. Kubiak) knows something that the owner and GM don't?

I'm just as shocked as anyone to have read that quote from Biscotti, but wow.... I can't imagine McNair saying anything like that. Even after losing 14 straight, I don't think I heard him say the word "failure" in relation to the team.

I'd have thought Harbaugh would have won some benefit of the doubt, but thinking about what they've done over the last 4 years or so.... they want Flacco to be an elite type QB & they haven't got it yet. Sounds like they're blaming Harbaugh & his OC decisions (the Jim Caldwell one never made sense to me, can't imagine that guy is a HC again.).

Sounds like there's already going to be tension between the offense & the defense, Kubiak & Harbaugh... & they don't have the defensive personnel they used to.

Without a doubt, this shows that owners think differently than we do.

houstonspartan
01-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Lousy way he was let go? He was fired after 8 years. Most coaches get 3 or 4! And he didn't hit the playoffs until after his 5th year!

Shaking my head at all the sudden revisionist history going on regarding Kubiak.

infantrycak
01-28-2014, 12:22 PM

It's always a combination but I'm not so sure in this case.

Flacco went from a QB rating of 115+ in the playoffs to 73 this season in which his coaches went ape**** calling passing plays. That is an epic fall which surpassess Schaub's fall (which coincidentally was from a less lofty beginning to the same 73 this season) without any excuse of QB injury.

The injuries and retirements were mainly D and it stayed ranked the same giving up just .5 ppg more. The O cratered.

Corrosion
01-28-2014, 12:34 PM
It's always a combination but I'm not so sure in this case.

Flacco went from a QB rating of 115+ in the playoffs to 73 this season in which his coaches went ape**** calling passing plays. That is an epic fall which surpassess Schaub's fall (which coincidentally was from a less lofty beginning to the same 73 this season) without any excuse of QB injury.

The injuries and retirements were mainly D and it stayed ranked the same giving up just .5 ppg more. The O cratered.

And don't forget about the epic fail of a season that Ray Rice had ..... Pretty much killed my wife's fantasy team along with Matt Ryan.

infantrycak
01-28-2014, 12:41 PM
And don't forget about the epic fail of a season that Ray Rice had ..... Pretty much killed my wife's fantasy team along with Matt Ryan.

I wasn't forgetting Rice, I was leaving him in the injured category since he battled injury all season.

Playoffs
01-28-2014, 12:42 PM
...Flacco went from a QB rating of 115+ in the playoffs to 73 this season in which his coaches went ape**** calling passing plays. That is an epic fall which surpassess Schaub's fall (which coincidentally was from a less lofty beginning to the same 73 this season) without any excuse of QB injury.

Yet the OC got a head coaching gig. Will be interesting to see what Caldwell does in Detroit.

Nitrofish
01-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Lousy way he was let go? He was fired after 8 years. Most coaches get 3 or 4! And he didn't hit the playoffs until after his 5th year!

Shaking my head at all the sudden revisionist history going on regarding Kubiak.

I am specifically talking about firing him with 3 games left, and more importantly the year after the best season in Franchise history. After all of the years Kubiak gave, and made the Texans relevant, to be let go days before Christmas the was lousy, and classless.

And don't give me the the Texans needed a head start on the other teams to get their HC mumbo jumbo. You can bet they were talking to O'Brien long before week 13. To believe otherwise is naive. I know my opinion is not the popular one, and many of you enjoy railing on Kubiak and Schaub, but it's my opinion Kubiak was treated poorly at the end.

thunderkyss
01-28-2014, 12:49 PM

We never had a winning season before he got here. I'd give him 4 years to get this club to winning (expecting three). Kubiak stopped the losing in his second season. We then had our first winning season in his fourth.

I'm also among the guys who didn't believe we were as bad as "we" say even in 2006. I think Kubiak's dumb decisions on gameday left points & wins on the board.

Still, after 2009 I'd expect to be in the play-offs 3 years later, no worse than 4. We were in the play offs 2 years later.

I had no problems with Kubiak's team, but something happened in 2013, Kubiak (I don't think) was making all the decisions anymore. Ed Reed, Sam Montgomery, & a few others, felt a little more panicky than I thought Kubiak would ever get.

I was upset he didn't try to win the game when he took Schaub out against SF. I was upset that he put Schaub back in the game that first time (I was thinking it was over by then anyway & Yates should have been the back up at that time).

So I have no problem letting him go. But I think the power hierchy got flipped & this thing started tearing itslef apart from the inside out. If I were the Bills, Browns, Lions, Cardinals, forever stuck in mediocrity I'd hire Kubiak in a second & give him 8 years to bring them where I believe the Texans are now.

thunderkyss
01-28-2014, 12:59 PM
I am specifically talking about firing him with 3 games left, and more importantly the year after the best season in Franchise history. After all of the years Kubiak gave, and made the Texans relevant, to be let go days before Christmas the was lousy, and classless.

And don't give me the the Texans needed a head start on the other teams to get their HC mumbo jumbo. You can bet they were talking to O'Brien long before week 13. To believe otherwise is naive. I know my opinion is not the popular one, and many of you enjoy railing on Kubiak and Schaub, but it's my opinion Kubiak was treated poorly at the end.

Don't forget he just had a stroke.

steelbtexan
01-28-2014, 01:07 PM

Are people haters because they disagrred with how Gary built his team and his blind loyalty to an obviously damaged goods Schaub?

2-14 you get fired. More especially if you choose to play Schaub over Keenum when your boss tells you not to play Schaub.

steelbtexan
01-28-2014, 01:11 PM

If you lose you get fired.

Gary made a big round 8 yr circle. Took over a 2-14 team and a 2-14 team got Gary rightfully fired. Carry on with the Gary/Schaub love.

houstonspartan
01-28-2014, 01:15 PM

Gary made a big round 8 yr circle. Took over a 2-14 team and a 2-14 team got Gary rightfully fired. Carry on with the Gary/Schaub love.

Exactly. Thank you, sir. Took over 2-14 and left 2-14. The definition of average.

Nitrofish
01-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Are people haters because they disagrred with how Gary built his team and his blind loyalty to an obviously damaged goods Schaub?

2-14 you get fired. More especially if you choose to play Schaub over Keenum when your boss tells you not to play Schaub.

Seems like Kubiak was right. Texans wasted half the season playing Keenum, who won 0 games. I am with Kubiak on that one. If you hire me and tell me I have control, then tell me to play the UDFA, I would stick my finger in your eye too and play who I thought gave us the best chance to win.

No... haters are people who think they know better than someone of Kubiak's pedigree and not only 2nd guess every move he makes, but also rail against him every chance they get.

So a Super Bowl winning HOF running back disagrees with you regarding your assessment of Schaub, but we should listen to your expert advice about Schaub, right?

Corrosion
01-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Nah, they'll find out on their own.

Yeah , they'll find out that the problem was that Schaub is broke and Keenum wasn't any better ... and that Marshall Faulk is smoking crack with the notion that Schuab gives the Texans their best shot in 2014.

Gary didn't all the sudden forget how to coach after going 12-4 the year before .... Everything that happened to this team went about as bad as it could have for any coach. You coulda had Lombardi on the sidelines and they woulda gone 2-14.
He simply didn't have an NFL quarterback on the roster ... Schaub was damaged goods and we saw the beginnings of it at the tail end of 2012 .....

Assumption with absolutely no basis in fact.

b0ng
01-28-2014, 01:28 PM

I have serious doubts the Ravens will win the AFC East in 2014.

Good hire for the Ravens either way, and I think that he'll be perfectly fine over there despite what bitter Texans fans here say. Going from Cameron and Caldwell to Kubiak is probably going to be a breath of fresh air for Ravens fans.

steelbtexan
01-28-2014, 01:34 PM

I think Gary will be a great OC I could see a scenario where Gary never becomes a HC again but is a top notch OC. (Kevin Gilbride)

steelbtexan
01-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Seems like Kubiak was right. Texans wasted half the season playing Keenum, who won 0 games. I am with Kubiak on that one. If you hire me and tell me I have control, then tell me to play the UDFA, I would stick my finger in your eye too and play who I thought gave us the best chance to win.

No... haters are people who think they know better than someone of Kubiak's pedigree and not only 2nd guess every move he makes, but also rail against him every chance they get.

So a Super Bowl winning HOF running back disagrees with you regarding your assessment of Schaub, but we should listen to your expert advice about Schaub, right?

Is Schaub damaged goods? I would like your opinion. BTW, I happen to like Gary a lot.

Nitrofish
01-28-2014, 01:38 PM
I think Gary will be a great OC I could see a scenario where Gary never becomes a HC again but is a top notch OC. (Kevin Gilbride)

Very possible, but I think Kubiak will shine in Baltimore and be offered a HC job in 2015 or 2016. If he flops and is what some of you say, he will be done in the NFL by the end of 2016 IMO.

steelbtexan
01-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Yeah , they'll find out that the problem was that Schaub is broke and Keenum wasn't any better ... and that Marshall Faulk is smoking crack with the notion that Schuab gives the Texans their best shot in 2014.

Gary didn't all the sudden forget how to coach after going 12-4 the year before .... Everything that happened to this team went about as bad as it could have for any coach. You coulda had Lombardi on the sidelines and they woulda gone 2-14.
He simply didn't have an NFL quarterback on the roster ... Schaub was damaged goods and we saw the beginnings of it at the tail end of 2012 .....

Assumption with absolutely no basis in fact.

Agreed with this,

Assumption, true, did you find it coincidental that Gary got when he did. What would this MB be without making assumptions? LOL

Nitrofish
01-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Is Schaub damaged goods? I would like your opinion. BTW, I happen to like Gary a lot.

No. I think a lot of things lead to him having the worst year of his career, but I think he will play at a high level again somewhere if not here. Personally I think they should have let him play through it, instead of throwing away the remainder of the season with Keenum in there, but Uncle Bob was looking for a Cinderella story, like many of you.

steelbtexan
01-28-2014, 01:50 PM
No. I think allot of things lead to him having the worst year of his career, but I think he will play at a high level again somewhere if not here. Personally I think they should have let him play through it, instead of throwing away the remainder of the season with Keenum in there.

We will have to agree to disagree when it comes to Schaub's injury status and his ability to play at a near elite level for a full yr.

infantrycak
01-28-2014, 01:52 PM

Kubiak had 3 HC interviews this offseason. Doing well in Baltimore will only increase his demand. Barring being unable to turn around Baltimore's O, I'd say his being a HC again is a virtual lock.

steelbtexan
01-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Kubiak had 3 HC interviews this offseason. Doing well in Baltimore will only increase his demand. Barring being unable to turn around Baltimore's O, I'd say his being a HC again is a virtual lock.

We shall see.

Texecutioner
01-28-2014, 02:22 PM

If we're lucky he can and he will have perfect timing to land the Jags gig. That will keep the Jags down for another 5 years or so. I have already eliminated the Ravens from this point on. They won't be winning any more SB's with Kubiak, that's for sure.

Lol at these constant excuses for Gary from last season. Only on the Texans board would you hear people still trying to spin stuff for a 2-14 HC that still thinks this league is in 1995. Lol!

infantrycak
01-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Lol at these constant excuses for Gary from last season. Only on the Texans board would you hear people still trying to spin stuff for a 2-14 HC that still thinks this league is in 1995. Lol!

I'm sorry, where did you see an excuse in my post?

LOL at you still trying to spin this stuck in 1995 schtick which has been soundly rejected by the league.

Corrosion
01-28-2014, 02:27 PM

And turned down a 4th .... "that franchise is a train wreck"

I'm sorry, where did you see an excuse in my post?

LOL at you still trying to spin this stuck in 1995 schtick which has been soundly rejected by the league.

Yeah , how many AFC Championship games , Superbowls & Lombardi Trophy's does New England have .... running a very similar offense (with a much better QB).

Carr Bombed
01-28-2014, 02:36 PM

"Lousy and classless" :vincepalm: Because after letting him keep his job for 8 seasons with little success we decided to fire him? That's nonsense and reeks of a loser's mentality. Raise the bar and expectations a little, seriously.

Kubiak failed at reaching expectations which was why he was fired and it was classy to give him more undeserved shots at trying to reach those expectation.. truth is he should've been fired years ago. So no, he wasn't treated badly in the end. Outside of Cincinnati, no other team would've allowed up with mediocrity for as long as Houston did. He was NOT treated poorly during any time during his tenure here, he should be (and I'm sure he is) thankful for his time here spent working for a owner who had as much patience as Bob McNair had.

It's also complete nonsense to assume or "bet" that the Texans were "all ready talking to O'Brien long before week 13". That's nothing but pure speculation so it's not even worth discussing, especially since it's highly doubtful to begin with since the Texans still had a shot to make the playoffs long before week 13 (if they would've won that game against the Colts, they still had a realistic shot to take the division before they completely collapsed and quit on their coach). It's not being "naïve" to think Houston wasn't looking for his replacement long before week 13.. it's just being realistic and logical.

Gary Kubiak wasn't treated lousy or without class.. he was coddled in Houston by a newbie owner who lacked experience. He was treated more than fairly and with the up most class, it was actually classy to go ahead and fire him when they did.. it was a mercy killing and to continue to just carry him along and keep him employed when everybody and their mom knew he was going to be fired is what would of been cruel, lousy, and classless. :gun:

Carr Bombed
01-28-2014, 02:45 PM
No. I think a lot of things lead to him having the worst year of his career, but I think he will play at a high level again somewhere if not here. Personally I think they should have let him play through it, instead of throwing away the remainder of the season with Keenum in there, but Uncle Bob was looking for a Cinderella story, like many of you.

Matt Schaub's days as a routine NFL starter (on any NFL team) are over.. To expect a comeback from him is you rooting for a Cinderella story.. and Matt Schaub is the one who threw away the season. Literally threw it away.. pick 6, after pick 6.. Uncle Bob didn't do that. Keenum aside, Schaub still was given multiple chances to come back in.. and he still failed. Bob McNair wasn't looking for a Cinderella story.. he was simply looking somewhere else, because he finally realized that he should look somewhere else.. anywhere else. It's obvious that Schaub isn't the answer, so Keenum doesn't really have anything to do with anything other than he was something different.

thunderkyss
01-28-2014, 03:16 PM
If we're lucky he can and he will have perfect timing to land the Jags gig. That will keep the Jags down for another 5 years or so. I have already eliminated the Ravens from this point on. They won't be winning any more SB's with Kubiak, that's for sure.

He's already won 2 Super Bowls as an OC...

thunderkyss
01-28-2014, 03:19 PM
"Lousy and classless" :vincepalm: Because after letting him keep his job for 8 seasons with little success we decided to fire him? That's nonsense and reeks of a loser's mentality. Raise the bar and expectations a little, seriously.

They fired him 3 weeks after suffering a mini-stroke on the field, with 3 weeks left in a season that wasn't going anywhere.

It don't get much classless than that.

You don't have to like Kubiak... but damn.

Playoffs
01-28-2014, 03:21 PM
If we're lucky he can and he will have perfect timing to land the Jags gig...

Gus Bradley has done a good job w/Jags. Kubiak will be hired before Bradley is fired, imo.

Dutchrudder
01-28-2014, 03:26 PM
So after Matt Schaub is cut and clears waivers, how likely is it that he's the backup in Baltimore next year?

Double Barrel
01-28-2014, 03:29 PM
I have serious doubts the Ravens will win the AFC East in 2014.

I don't know, man. The AFC North is a weak division right now. The Bengals won it this season! Think about that for a second...

The Browns are not a threat...at all.

The Steelers are in disarray and probably a couple of years from replenishing the ranks to get back to Steeler ball - great defense with a solid running game.

So that leaves the Bengals. And the Ravens are just one season removed from being Super Bowl champions. Do you really think beating the Bengals is insurmountable? I think the Ravens will be the clear favorites for the AFC North going into 2014.

Dutchrudder
01-28-2014, 03:33 PM
I don't know, man. The AFC North is a weak division right now. The Bengals won it this season! Think about that for a second...

The Browns are not a threat...at all.

The Steelers are in disarray and probably a couple of years from replenishing the ranks to get back to Steeler ball - great defense with a solid running game.

So that leaves the Bengals. And the Ravens are just one season removed from being Super Bowl champions. Do you really think beating the Bengals is insurmountable? I think the Ravens will be the clear favorites for the AFC North going into 2014.

The Bengals were missing their best defensive player for half this season too. When Geno Atkins comes back next year, their pass rush will improve greatly. I don't think this is a slam dunk for the Ravens because they have a lot of cap issues at the moment and need to replenish their defense.

Carr Bombed
01-28-2014, 03:37 PM
They fired him 3 weeks after suffering a mini-stroke on the field, with 3 weeks left in a season that wasn't going anywhere.

It don't get much classless than that.

You don't have to like Kubiak... but damn.

There is nothing classless about what they did and this is coming from someone who doesn't dislike the guy.. Even Kubiak knew he was going to be **** canned. It was blatantly obvious to every soul in the city.. including Kubiak's entire family.

What would've been "classless" is to continue to force the guy to show up and face the media/music and put unnecessary stress on a man who was just 3 weeks outside of suffering a stroke out on the field. That is what would've been classless and just plain wrong. They did Kubiak a favor by letting him go early when they did, stringing him along wouldn't of done anybody any favors... Not Kubiak and not the Texans brain trust.