PDA

View Full Version : So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Corrosion
12-30-2013, 03:20 PM
The biggest question to me is , who's our QB next year. Nothing else will have as big an impact on W's and L's.

Do you look for a vet FA or do you believe strongly enough in one of the QB's available in the draft to say he's my guy for the next 5 years.

Bob McNair seems to believe this will be a quick fix , well .... it wont be unless the QB riddle is solved. They could have the 85 Bears defense and Vince Lombardi or Tom Landry coaching ... and have sh!t to show for it at the end of the season .... unless they find a top quality QB.

So .... who ya got ?!

Hervoyel
12-30-2013, 03:24 PM
My QB is Zach Mettenberger. I think he's going to have a lot of success in the years to come.

And the knee will be just fine people.

CretorFrigg
12-30-2013, 03:25 PM
I'd like us to sign Cutler. If we do choose to draft a QB in the first round, he can take time to learn under a veteran QB. I also believe Cutler gives us the best opportunity to win next year. I can't see a rookie QB leading us to a Super Bowl.

Playoffs
12-30-2013, 03:26 PM
So .... who ya got ?!

Whoever Bill O'Brien decides on. He's a QB coach, OC.

Whoever he sees as the guy I'll support -- since "B.O." knows football, and I'm in my armchair. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif

I might get more excited if BO'B decides a Mettenberger or Bortles or Garoppolo is the guy, just because he'd be trusting himself instead of going with the consensus. But sometimes the consensus is right.

JCTexan
12-30-2013, 03:33 PM
If you want a franchise QB, which I do, I would take one in the draft. I'm in the Bridgewater or Bortles boat.

badboy
12-30-2013, 03:38 PM
We have to improve the Oline no matter who is there so I go with Keenum and McCarron as of now. If Obrien is a good QB coach, why can't he coach them up?

TXAg14
12-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Kyle Orton! :fingergun:

infantrycak
12-30-2013, 03:44 PM
We have to improve the Oline no matter who is there so I go with Keenum and McCarron as of now. If Obrien is a good QB coach, why can't he coach them up?

If any coach is worth the job then why can't they coach up a non- top half of the 1st round RT?

BullNation4Life
12-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Best thing for the Texans is to find a veteran QB, draft a young prospect and let him develop until he is ready...

sometexansfan
12-30-2013, 03:49 PM

That would just be a repeat of what Gary did with Matt, so no thanks.

The1ApplePie
12-30-2013, 03:53 PM

I doubt Keenum will be on the roster next season.

McCarron seems to be a less talented Mark Sanchez to me

Allstar
12-30-2013, 03:54 PM
http://shegotgame.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/brett-favre-wrangler.jpg

Norg
12-30-2013, 04:18 PM
MATT SCHAUB !!!!!! ................ with Teddy Bridgewater gettin red shirted behind him

Or tony Romo either way

TEXANRED
12-30-2013, 04:21 PM
I would like Manziel but it ain't gonna happen.

BetaV1
12-30-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm a big Jay Cutty fan. Dude has brass balls. He's a gunslinger and has the arm to make all the throws in the NFL. I think he gets knocked far too much by the media for his demeanor.

I'd happily take him, but it has to be at the right price...

According to OverTheCap, Jay Cutler's annual salary was just over 14 and a half million a year. (http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=QB) This put Cutler as the 11th highest paid quarterback in the league on a yearly basis.

Using that as a benchmark, do you think Cutler is worth $14.7 million a year? Is he really the 11th best quarterback in the league? As big of a fan as I am, I'm not sure he's done enough consistently to merit anything more than what his previous contract was. If I could get him for that same amount, I'll take him for sure. Problem is he's likely going to get paid a bit more than that and as big of a support of Jay as I am, I don't think he's in the top 8 of the league. Top ten, maybe.... Maybe....

Thorn
12-30-2013, 04:32 PM
The only FA QBs I'd sign right now are those that know they are coming in to tutor the QB we take in the draft. I hate doing it, but if Bridgewater or someone else seems like the guy, take 'em with the 1.1 pick before someone else snatches them up.

Hookem Horns
12-30-2013, 04:35 PM
My QB is Zach Mettenberger. I think he's going to have a lot of success in the years to come.

Another guy wearing #8? Do you just want to recycle your Schaub jersey to Mettenberger that you previously recycled from Carr?

thunderkyss
12-30-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm a big Jay Cutty fan. Dude has brass balls. He's a gunslinger and has the arm to make all the throws in the NFL. I think he gets knocked far too much by the media for his demeanor.

I'd happily take him, but it has to be at the right price...

According to OverTheCap, Jay Cutler's annual salary was just over 14 and a half million a year. (http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=QB) This put Cutler as the 11th highest paid quarterback in the league on a yearly basis.

Using that as a benchmark, do you think Cutler is worth $14.7 million a year? Is he really the 11th best quarterback in the league? As big of a fan as I am, I'm not sure he's done enough consistently to merit anything more than what his previous contract was. If I could get him for that same amount, I'll take him for sure. Problem is he's likely going to get paid a bit more than that and as big of a support of Jay as I am, I don't think he's in the top 8 of the league. Top ten, maybe.... Maybe....

I wouldn't consider myself a fan, but I do respect his ability & still believe he's yet to reach his ceiling. I don't think he's going to get a franchise type contract on his next stop, but I'm hoping he believes he is still worth one. Opening him to a one year deal at starting QB money..... which is about $10M.

I've been on record as saying the Texans would be foolish to take a $10M cap hit on Matt Schaub... truth be told, there's still a possibilty that we'll ask him to take a pay cut & he'll be here until our new QB earns the starting roll. But with the fan cheering his injury, booing his return to the game & TPing his house, I hope he demands to be traded/cut.

"the fans" will be pissed if we sign Cutler to a one year $10M deal & we don't win the Super Bowl. They'll be more upset if we don't & we have another losing season.

I think we should draft our QB of the future. If he proves to be a better option than the veteran we sign (Wilson over Flynn) we're the better for it, if we have the right people making that assessment.

Playoffs
12-30-2013, 05:05 PM
two most important things to look for in a franchise QB,

1, Is he good looking enough?

I cannot stress that enough.

2, Does he have a great cool sounding name?

Are we looking for a boyfriend/husband here or a QB?

Are you actually Taylor Swift? :lol:

Hervoyel
12-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Another guy wearing #8? Do you just want to recycle your Schaub jersey to Mettenberger that you previously recycled from Carr?

I don't place any particular significance on the number. I've never been able to figure out why anyone else does for that matter. It's just a number.

If we'd signed Manning and he'd suddenly opted to wear #8 would he have started sucking right then and there on the spot? If a jersey change was all it took to fix Carr why in the hell did we give up a pair of 2's to get Schaub from the Falcons and then not even bother to make him change numbers?

:spin:

badboy
12-30-2013, 05:06 PM
If any coach is worth the job then why can't they coach up a non- top half of the 1st round RT?

IMO there are no second half RTs as I see Ogbuehi returning to school.

Honoring Earl 34
12-30-2013, 05:07 PM
http://shegotgame.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/brett-favre-wrangler.jpg

If you look at Favre's hands you know why he played well in the cold .

CretorFrigg
12-30-2013, 05:07 PM
two most important things to look for in a franchise QB,

1, Is he good looking enough?

2, Does he have a great cool sounding name?

Yes.

infantrycak
12-30-2013, 05:15 PM
IMO there are no second half RTs as I see Ogbuehi returning to school.

Non top half of the 1st round means picks 17 through the end of the draft. There are perfectly good RTs to be had outside the top 16 picks.

bah007
12-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Non top half of the 1st round means picks 17 through the end of the draft. There are perfectly good RTs.

A lot of them this year, actually.

drs23
12-30-2013, 05:27 PM
...but I do respect his ability & still believe he's yet to reach his ceiling.

I've been on record as saying the Texans would be foolish to take a $10M cap hit on Matt Schaub... I hope he demands to be traded/cut.

First bolded: DAYUM, how long does it take then TK?

Second:“I would do anything for those guys,” Schaub said after the game. “So, to come back and play with those guys? Absolutely. But, I’m also a realist and understand the nature of this business so we’ll see how it goes.”

link (http://www.khou.com/sports/Schaub-would-like-to-return-to-Texans-in-2014-237906381.html)

welsh texan
12-30-2013, 06:45 PM
If we were to take a vet QB we can trade back from the #1 gaining #4,#26 & #36 in addition to #33, allowing the Browns our #1 and guaranteeing them teddy by jumping in front of the Jags.

Take a vet, improve the OL get a QB a little later on, and spend 2 high picks to improve the D.

This takes the pressure off our rookie QB to start before he's ready and allows us o improve immensely across the team.

Now, we only do this if the new coaching staff don't think Teddy is the guaranteed franchise QB for the next 15 years.

The guy who suggested Orton earlier, I wouldn't be against that, I think if you have the guy of the future in the draft, but he isn't ready to start, Orton is the type of guy who can game manage, take the pressure off the rookie, and most importanly, give some cap relief compared to say cutler so we can go out and get a couple of mid-level FAs to further improve.

I see this as a plan that guarantees the ability to get to a ~.500 record at the least (decent coaching dependant) and possibly get straight back into the playoffs.

Texn4life
12-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Supposedly Marcus Mariota is re-considering entering the draft. I can't say I'm super high on him, but I do want to take a good look at him tonight. Reminds me a lot of Kaepernick.

ST675
12-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Olivia wilde ..... cockburn.

Yes, Yes and Yes.... do We have a sign up sheet cause I want to be #1......

kingtexan
12-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Depends on what we do in the draft at QB. Whoever we draft should not start. There are no day one starters in this draft. If we got someone like a Manziel then I wouldn't mind signing Vick or Freeman to a two year deal to show him the ropes. If we signed a more pure pocket rookie, then maybe Henne or McCown to the same type of deal. I don't see us competing for a championship until the new regime has been in place a year or two so first we just need a solid game manager to teach a rookie how to be a pro.

thunderkyss
12-30-2013, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't mind signing Vick or Freeman to a two year deal to show him the ropes.

I don't want either of those guys showing anyone the ropes. I'm all for signing them, but as tackling dummies more than anything else.

steelbtexan
12-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Bring McCown home

burro
12-30-2013, 08:24 PM
I would like to see what BOB could do with Keenum, some improvements on the o line, and a healthy RB corp... but that's not a realistic option. We'll probably end up with Bridgewater and Schaub as a back up.

kingtexan
12-30-2013, 08:29 PM
I would like to see what BOB could do with Keenum, some improvements on the o line, and a healthy RB corp... but that's not a realistic option. We'll probably end up with Bridgewater and Schaub as a back up.

No chance Schaub is back ... no chance.

Texn4life
12-30-2013, 08:33 PM

I think Keenum hangs around as a backup QB considering he'll be cheap.

burro
12-30-2013, 08:35 PM
No chance Schaub is back ... no chance.

Why not? We could save the cap hit. It's not like he or any other veteran backup we'd sign would have a snowball's chance in hell of starting over the #1 overall pick (barring injury) anyways...

kingtexan
12-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Why not? We could save the cap hit. It's not like he or any other veteran backup we'd sign would have a snowball's chance in hell of starting over the #1 overall pick (barring injury) anyways...

If we pick a QB at #1 we are forfeiting the franchise anyway so may as well keep him. But we wont ... either ...

infantrycak
12-30-2013, 08:42 PM

Because it saves cap to cut him and eliminates his contract.

thunderkyss
12-30-2013, 08:48 PM

We pick up $4M right away to cut him. $11M if we designate him a June 1st cut. That might get you Vick or Cutler, maybe Brandon Albert or Eugene Monroe, or Paul Soliai, Daryl Smith, Karlos Dansby, Cromartie, Tillman, Whitner, Ihedigbo, or Phil Dawson......

One or two of those guys would help us focus more on BPA, than reach for a need.

Nawzer
12-30-2013, 08:52 PM
This guy.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yBQddwlzoEQ/TJHo-kCP63I/AAAAAAAAAtg/MC4Bc4RaMhY/s1600/shane-falco.jpg

burro
12-30-2013, 09:08 PM
We pick up $4M right away to cut him. $11M if we designate him a June 1st cut. That might get you Vick or Cutler, maybe Brandon Albert or Eugene Monroe, or Paul Soliai, Daryl Smith, Karlos Dansby, Cromartie, Tillman, Whitner, Ihedigbo, or Phil Dawson......

One or two of those guys would help us focus more on BPA, than reach for a need.

I must have misunderstood his contract; in this case you definitely cut him. As I said, QB #2 will be irrelevant if we go QB with the first pick. Whatever is good for the cap.

JB
12-30-2013, 09:38 PM

Man if we could land Soliai and Dansby our defense would be exciting

Corrosion
12-30-2013, 09:45 PM
I would like to see what BOB could do with Keenum,

We've seen the best of Keenum already .... Sorry but if anyone was gonna do anything with Keenum , he's already been shown the door .... Woulda been a great story but .... they aint makin a Hollywood movie outa Keenum's story. He'll stick around as the backup , nothing more.

Uncle Rico
12-30-2013, 10:29 PM
The passing clinic Teddy B put on SAT night was a thing of beauty.

Guess who I want <wink>

burro
12-30-2013, 11:12 PM
We've seen the best of Keenum already ....

I can't say that for sure...what QB short of Brady or Manning would find success working with a patch work Oline, practice squad RBs, 1 TE, and a lame duck HC that didn't want him starting in the first place?

The last point is important. If BOB is the QB guru people say he is, Keenum is skilled enough to work with. Somehow I doubt Kubiak was getting the best out of him...or anybody for that matter.

MistaRed
12-31-2013, 12:04 AM
Theodore Bridgewater

76Texan
12-31-2013, 12:16 AM
We've seen the best of Keenum already .... Sorry but if anyone was gonna do anything with Keenum , he's already been shown the door .... Woulda been a great story but .... they aint makin a Hollywood movie outa Keenum's story. He'll stick around as the backup , nothing more.

I definitely don't think we've seen the best of Keenum; however, I still need to reiterate my point: I wanted the Texans to take both Wilson and Keenum that year as insurance policy for one another because of their small stature.

I insisted that Keenum needs to learn to avoid contact as much as possible, like Brees always does.
Wilson has been doing a good job of it, partly because he's quicker and faster, but partly because he's also smart in that way.
Keenum needs to learn to do the same.

The Texans still need another QB, but I'm unsure whether to go with a FA vet or a draft pick, or both.

I'm not sure I want to write off Yates either, but his ceiling seems to be almost there, since Keenum had leapfrogged him.

It's quite likely that Keenum is no more than a backup, but I think I'd like to see more.
There had been QBs that had it rougher than him.
Eli Manning, for example, if you go back and look into his first year.
He won one game, a meaningless game at the end of the season against the Cowboys, a team that was going nowhere, throwing for 144 yards.
Steve Young had a rough going at the beginning.
Bradshaw's numbers were pretty much last in the league, if you add all the major criteria together (compl pct, AYA, TD/Int ratio).
The teams these guys inherited weren't as bad as the Texans.
The Bucs sucked, but I doub!their ST was as bad.

it might well be that the Texans decide to draft a QB with the first pick, then so be it.

False Start
12-31-2013, 12:21 AM

8 needs to be sh!tcanned forever from this team. :littlelol:

I too would like to see them sign Cutler, and draft either Bortles, or Manziel.

76Texan
12-31-2013, 12:28 AM
8 needs to be sh!tcanned forever from this team. :littlelol:

I too would like to see them sign Cutler, and draft either Bortles, or Manziel.

I don't think Cutler is doable; it will make it very hard to resign Watt down the road.
He will want at least a two-year contract with quite a bit in guaranteed money up front.

Corrosion
12-31-2013, 12:32 AM
Keenum simply can not read defenses .... That's his fatal flaw.

False Start
12-31-2013, 12:44 AM
Here are some who will be available:

Derek Anderson
Jimmy Clausen
Jay Cutler
Jordan Palmer
Josh McCown
Trent Edwards
Shaun Hill
Matt Flynn
Seneca Wallace
Chad Henne
Pat Devlin
Joe Webb
Josh Freeman
Luke McCown
Curtis Painter
David Garrard
Michael Vick
Charlie Whitehurst
Tarvaris Jackson
Colt McCoy
Kellen Clemens
Dan Orlovsky
Rusty Smith
Rex Grossman

Besides Cutler none of these guy really do anything for me. :kitten:

Goatcheese
12-31-2013, 12:46 AM
Derek Carr? Only slightly joking. Very talented but struggles when pressured (where have I heard that before). He was going as high as #3 in mocks before that ugly bowl game against USC.

Bridgewater is obviously the #1 prospect going into the draft process and is the favorite to go #1 overall. I don't want any part of Manziel and his prima donna ***** attitude.

thunderkyss
12-31-2013, 12:50 AM
I don't think Cutler is doable; it will make it very hard to resign Watt down the road.
He will want at least a two-year contract with quite a bit in guaranteed money up front.

He's a 30 year old QB trying to sell his potential. He's not going to get "quite a bit" up front. No one is going to sign him as their starter for more than 2 years.

I think a fair offer would be 2 years, $25M guaranteed. I'd give him a $5M signing bonus, $5M salary, a roster bonus for 2015 & the rest in salary.

We're on the hook for $7.5M this year (that would be his cap number) & $2.5M next year if we cut him & go with Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, or whoever from then on.

That would have no effect on signing Watt & we're basically using the money gained by cutting Schaub.

At the most, where ever he goes (unless Chicago really pulls out the stupid) he won't have a cap number over $10M for the 2014 season. But I don't think he'll get that kind of offer. For Jay, this is his last chance to prove he's worth the kind of contract Matt signed 2 years ago.

pirbroke
12-31-2013, 01:10 AM
I would bring in Colt McCoy,

Texn4life
12-31-2013, 01:25 AM
I would bring in Colt McCoy,

Colt McCoy is a broken QB at this point. Watched him twice in the preseason and he was terrible. Josh Freeman would be an interesting guy for to work with if his mind is right. Josh McCown and Chad Henne are 2 guys I wouldn't be just too upset with.

We're drafting a QB of the future. Whatever guy that comes in off the street at QB has to understand that the youngster may start from day 1 and be cool with it.

I don't know where the Manziel stuff is coming from. Enjoy watching him, but I can't see him here.

ajohnson80
12-31-2013, 01:48 AM
I like Tahj Boyd. We can get Clowney or Barr in the first. They are way more of a sure thing than Bridgewater who i still consider untested. He plays with inferior teammates and inferior competition. There will be a learning curve for him idc what the scouts say.

Then address oline with the next pick and take a flyer on a Tahj in the 3rd. Won't have to pay him much first few seasons and if he sucks oh well next years draft is really talented also. He is just as accurate if not more, more mobile and a better frame than bridgewater. He could be the wilson of 2k14, a talented qb flying under the radar. He's also performed well in some big pressure games.

pirbroke
12-31-2013, 02:00 AM
How about bringing in nothing but running QB's, bring Vick in for cheap and some young similar style QB's for backup. But this time we will tell them to run all the time, even have design run plays for them. And when one goes down with injuries just throw in the next one. Don't try to protect them at all, use their strengths unlike all the other teams. That would give defenses fits.

MEGA SWATT
12-31-2013, 02:25 AM
Peyton manning. Oh yeah - we had Schaub. :overreact:

Aaron Rodgers free agent in 2020:specnatz:

Bridgewater- why not?

Norg
12-31-2013, 02:42 AM
hahaha Tahj Boyd and reunite him with Hopkins LOL

The Pencil Neck
12-31-2013, 02:45 AM
Here are some who will be available:

Derek Anderson
Jimmy Clausen
Jay Cutler
Jordan Palmer
Josh McCown
Trent Edwards
Shaun Hill
Matt Flynn
Seneca Wallace
Chad Henne
Pat Devlin
Joe Webb
Josh Freeman
Luke McCown
Curtis Painter
David Garrard
Michael Vick
Charlie Whitehurst
Tarvaris Jackson
Colt McCoy
Kellen Clemens
Dan Orlovsky
Rusty Smith
Rex Grossman

Besides Cutler none of these guy really do anything for me. :kitten:

None of those guys do anything for me, including Cutler.

IF there's a QB you like, then you draft him and you let him learn on the field.

If there's NOT a QB you like, then you go with Keenum and suck for a year and get a shot at one of the QBs coming out next year. And/or you could also draft one of the later round QBs and hope you catch lightning in a bottle like the Seahawks did.

I'm not totally sold on Bridgewater, yet, but I'm hopeful.

TheMatrix31
12-31-2013, 03:17 AM
Since I think we're still in "win now" mode, I'd try to get Cutler and I'd draft AJ McCarron for the future.

If it's financially possible, that is.

76Texan
12-31-2013, 04:29 AM
Keenum simply can not read defenses .... That's his fatal flaw.

We have the off-season now.
Would you care to go through each of his pass attempts while I go through each of the opponent QBs' pass attempts (and Schaub's for that matter), to validate your claim?

Marshall
12-31-2013, 05:17 AM
If you want a franchise QB, which I do, I would take one in the draft. I'm in the Bridgewater or Bortles boat.

There are at least a half a dozen QBs that have the potential to be elite QBs. The trouble is, they all have the potential to be busts as well.

The New Coach, Smith and McNair will collectively decide if any of them has sufficient potential to keep the 1-1 pick rather than trade down and get a less risky player (BPA) which would probably meet an area of need. There are still QBs deciding whether they will enter this draft who might even be better than the current crop of QB prospects, but even if in the same good , but not great category, would make one of the group available with 2-1 or a Trade Down to later in Round 1.

Bridgewater
Bortles
Carr
Manziel
McCarron
Mettenberger
Fales
Smith
Garoppolo
Boyd
Murray
Maybe others

Only five or six teams are looking for a starting QB. A good one will be available, probably as late as round 3 or 4 with nearly the potential of the top choice.

If the Front office decides their guy is one without the hype, then they can get low risk protection by trading down, pick up more draft picks and STILL get their guy. But things are fluid. Just yesterday, Cleveland's desire for Carr became a moot point when their HC was fired. This would have been a great trade partner. Trade down to 1-4, pick up say 1-26 and 2-36, and still have at least one of the following available: Bridgewater, Matthews, Clowney or Barr. Assuming they were going for Carr, there would be a choice of at least two. With Jacksonville likely going for QB, we would probably still have a choice of three of those while still getting one of the group of closely rated QBs and with additional early picks in a draft with good depth overall.

Good trade partners in order:

St Louis - 1-2; 1-13; 2-45; 3-77 This only works if they target a specific player and we make it known that we MIGHT take that player. But a move down to 1-2 also keeps us the key player for further trades as moving further down puts
St Louis a better trading partner.

Cleveland - 1-4; 1-26; 2-36; 3-68; 3-79 They collected draft picks under the old regime. A new HC will want immediate impact if he wants a second season and would use these picks for an impact player.

Minnesota - They need a QB and are drafting 8th after four other teams with QB needs. If they want one of the heralded picks, they might want to move up. Unfortunately, they have no extra picks to trade and we would need more to move down further. Perhaps this is where we trade for picks in future years as well as swapping picks this year and an additional pick or two this season.

Jacksonville and Tennessee also might want QBs, but being division rivals would not make likely trade partners.

Sigma
12-31-2013, 05:51 AM
Whoever Bill O'Brien decides on. He's a QB coach, OC.

Whoever he sees as the guy I'll support -- since "B.O." knows football, and I'm in my armchair. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif

I might get more excited if BO'B decides a Mettenberger or Bortles or Garoppolo is the guy, just because he'd be trusting himself instead of going with the consensus. But sometimes the consensus is right.

I'm gonna stick with Schaub, he is the real deal

Damn!

--edit--

man I didn't know there was a "Garoppolo" in the QB mix, funniest name I've ever heard... that's my guy for sure!

Marshall
12-31-2013, 05:54 AM

Second:

link (http://www.khou.com/sports/Schaub-would-like-to-return-to-Texans-in-2014-237906381.html)

I wouldn't mind Schaub returning for $1M AFTER he is cut and we lose his $14M salary and take the $10M Dead Money hit to net the $4M cap savings this year and the millions in Future Salary in his current contract. But I'm also just as happy to keep Keenum and have a 'competition' in camp.

Marshall
12-31-2013, 05:57 AM
I must have misunderstood his contract; in this case you definitely cut him. As I said, QB #2 will be irrelevant if we go QB with the first pick. Whatever is good for the cap.
Why would you want to extend $7M of the Cap hit into 2015 when we need the space for Watt's extension? Take the hit THIS YEAR. The June 1 designation doesn't reduce the Cap hit, it only spreads it over two years. We can't afford to rob Peter to pay Paul anymore because Peter is too valuable.

Marshall
12-31-2013, 06:02 AM
Theodore Bridgewater

How long before we start calling him, "The Beave?"

Marshall
12-31-2013, 06:34 AM
Since I think we're still in "win now" mode, I'd try to get Cutler and I'd draft AJ McCarron for the future.

If it's financially possible, that is.

Signing Cutler would not. Drafting McCarron in the middle rounds would be.

The1ApplePie
12-31-2013, 09:32 AM
People are still mentioning Keenum as a starting NFL QB?

Short, can't read a defense, and didn't win a single start this year.

I'd much rather have a guy like Sanchez, Freeman, or even Ponder backing up a rookie QB. None of them are NFL starters, but they can win a few games for you if the rookie gets hurt

MistaRed
12-31-2013, 10:11 AM
How long before we start calling him, "The Beave?"

Until he throws his 1st pick. Then he's Theodore again.

thunderkyss
12-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Colt McCoy is a broken QB at this point. Watched him twice in the preseason and he was terrible. Josh Freeman would be an interesting guy for to work with if his mind is right. Josh McCown and Chad Henne are 2 guys I wouldn't be just too upset with.

We're drafting a QB of the future. Whatever guy that comes in off the street at QB has to understand that the youngster may start from day 1 and be cool with it.

The way I'm looking at it is I'm trying to find our next starter & possibly franchise QB. We don't have a starter right now & though it would be nice to have a franchise QB, finding one in this draft is just as likely as finding one in last year's draft, or the 2011 draft.

In the event that Bridgewater is not a franchise QB, or even a starter, we're not totally screwed. Say we find out Cutler has 3 good years left in him. Or Freeman figured it out. Or... that Case isn't a lost cause.

I want three reasonable attempts at finding starter, one good attempt at finding a franchise QB. If they determine Bridgewater is a franchise guy, but isn't ready to start, but Colt (not that I think we should start Colt, but guys like Cutler, Freeman, McCown, & Flynn have shown they can) is, then the powers that be need to determine the best course of action to develop our franchise QB & win at the same time.

Was the Chargers mistake choosing Rivers over Brees? Or choosing Norv over Tomlin, Payton, McCarthy, Coughlin (not that they had a shot at him) or Harbaugh (not that they had a shot at him). It's more likely, in my mind, that one of those coaches would have won a Super Bowl in San Diego by now with Rivers, than Brees winning one with Norv Turner.

The Titans, Jags, & Vikings... their problem was trying to turn Locker, Gabbert, & Ponder into something they're not.

I don't know where the Manziel stuff is coming from. Enjoy watching him, but I can't see him here.

None of the QBs mentioned so far fit the mold of what is considered a "franchise" QB. Johnny, imo, is the only one who offers the play-making ability to offset his shortcomings... but, again- in my mind - not enough to warrant the #1 overall selection. Not enough to pass on legitimate elite talent.

IlliniJen
12-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Freeman intrigues me. He had a good year, then something went wrong. I wonder if it was coaching. But I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. This really isn't the time to start taking chances on guys, and that includes Cutler, who has reached his ceiling and is only going to go downhill.

We'll take Teddy with the first pick and let Obie mold him. I would rather go Clowney first and get a QB in the second round, but I think QB need is exaggerated this year because of the dumpster fire rotation of Schaub and Keenum.

cstyle42
12-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Freeman intrigues me. He had a good year, then something went wrong. I wonder if it was coaching. But I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. This really isn't the time to start taking chances on guys, and that includes Cutler, who has reached his ceiling and is only going to go downhill.

We'll take Teddy with the first pick and let Obie mold him. I would rather go Clowney first and get a QB in the second round, but I think QB need is exaggerated this year because of the dumpster fire rotation of Schaub and Keenum.

I strongly agree.

Uncle Rico
12-31-2013, 10:51 AM
http://youtu.be/dmH7jvQN4zk

Bill O'Brien feels nowadays you need a QB who is practically a coach on the field. Who fits these parameters the best?

IlliniJen
12-31-2013, 10:54 AM

Bill O'Brien feels nowadays you need a QB who is practically a coach on the field. Who fits these parameters the best?

Peyton Manning.

And................?

Uncle Rico
12-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Peyton Manning.

And................?

You are guilty of not viewing the video ma'am :)

I think our next coach is describing a certain someone to a T <sparkle in my grin>

Porky
12-31-2013, 11:07 AM
Bobby Boucher is available. I'll take him.:kitten:

If he won't sign, I'll take Josh McCown as my FA vet signing. Then I take Teddy Bridge Over Troubled Water to be my future star.

Josh looked pretty damn good taking over for Jay Cutler. I know he is getting up there but that's the point. I think he can be the bridge to the real bridge, while giving the Texans the luxury of not forcing the rookie to play before he is ready.

He is from Texas, so that is an advantage as well. I think he would sign here knowing that he is the short term present so I think the pecking order would be well set, and I think Bridge could learn from Josh who is in his mid 30's and been around a lot. Let Bridge hold a clipboard and learn until he is ready whenever that may be.

I keep Case around as my #3, and when Josh retires at the end of 2014 or 2015, Case moves to the #2 spot if all goes well.

pirbroke
12-31-2013, 11:19 AM
Nice video, I'm liking the guy more and more.

IlliniJen
12-31-2013, 11:35 AM
You are guilty of not viewing the video ma'am :)

I think our next coach is describing a certain someone to a T <sparkle in my grin>

Other than Matt McGroin, who do you think he's talking about?

Honoring Earl 34
12-31-2013, 11:45 AM

Here's a story of a man named ____ ?

thunderkyss
12-31-2013, 11:48 AM

They're just excuses, but Cutler has had some pretty good ones to explain why we haven't seen the best of Jay Cutler. I don't think he's ever had the same offensive coordinator for more than 2 years. He's been injured a lot. Chicago thought Devon Hester was a WR for a long time.

I don't believe Cutler can be a franchise QB, but I wouldn't be surprised & actually expect him to think that he can. But anyone who thinks we can't win with Cutler is trying to sell you something. They're afraid signing Cutler means we won't draft Bridgewater, or Bortles; that we'll miss on a franchise QB.

I'm saying we don't know that any of those guys will be a franchise QB. I'd be fine if the Texans pass on this class & targets one next year. At the same time, I'd be upset if they pass this year & next, or if their plan didn't work out & they couldn't position themselves next year to get a possible franchise guy.

Seattle didn't draft Russell Wilson expecting him to lead them to the play-offs, they signed Matt Flynn for that. San Francisco didn't draft Kaepernick with the expectation that he would take them to the NFC Championship game the following year. That was Alex Smith (who did the same thing the year before). The Colts weren't expecting to make the play-offs with Luck in his first season. Neither were the Redskins with Luck. They weren't expecting to win much at all.

If we don't hire a veteran QB who has won a number of games in the past; Cutler, Freeman, Flynn, Mallet.... then we're putting all our hopes in the "Bridgewater (or whoever) basket", content with the possibility that we'll have a losing season, or for some godforsaken reason think Case Keenum can win an NFL game.

I want a vet QB & a first/early second QB. If the Texans decide not to go that way, I'll pump the sunshine during the season, find some way to spin it.... but let it be known, right now I do not think it's conducive to winning & I won't think Bob, BO'b, or Smith are serious about winning.

thunderkyss
12-31-2013, 12:00 PM

Honestly......... sounds like he's talking about Case Keenum.

I have a feeling we're going to be in for a long, long season. Or short, depending when you decide to check out.

Uncle Rico
12-31-2013, 12:02 PM

Duh, Case Keenum of course! He's so boss, he will revolutionize how the position is played.

Big Lou
12-31-2013, 12:09 PM

--edit--

man I didn't know there was a "Garoppolo" in the QB mix, funniest name I've ever heard... that's my guy for sure!

Janine?

Scooter
12-31-2013, 12:15 PM
i take keenum and a draft pick from the first 2 rounds into next year. my argument has been that keenum had all the tools but wasnt quite ready yet, most of that being he needed a full offseason higher on the depth chart to get a better grip on the playbook and situational repetitions. i still believe that, though he did show enough that i'm worried he might have some issues that keep him from reaching his potential.

as for the draft pick, my ideal would be to trade down. then either grab a quarterback with our first pick, or a higher rated position player and then trade back up into the mid/late first and get the quarterback.

infantrycak
12-31-2013, 12:22 PM
I want a vet QB & a first/early second QB. If the Texans decide not to go that way, I'll pump the sunshine during the season, find some way to spin it.... but let it be known, right now I do not think it's conducive to winning & I won't think Bob, BO'b, or Smith are serious about winning.

So anyone who disagrees with your plan isn't serious about winning. My, such hubris.

IlliniJen
12-31-2013, 12:26 PM
Duh, Case Keenum of course! He's so boss, he will revolutionize how the position is played.

LOL...I have no issue keeping Keenum as a #2, but nothing has convinced me that he has QB1 potential. But in saying that, if Obie sees something in him that can be turned into gold, then so be it, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in Case's basket.

Very few teams have more than one viable option at QB, so I would draft our future QB and let Obie assess what Case can actually do with some coaching and mentoring. Case was put in a very difficult position this season and once teams figured out that blitzing was all they needed to do to rattle the guy, his ability to play the position successfully was compromised, and we all know Kubiak did nothing to adjust to put him in a better position to make plays once he was figured out.

I'm excited about the future if Obie is our HC and believe we need to hit the reset button at QB. I don't honestly think our starting QB of next year is currently on the roster, but I'm not an NFL coach or talent scout. Bridgewater has shown he can make plays behind a bad OL...but I know nothing about his football smarts.

This offseason will be far more exciting than this season was.

drs23
12-31-2013, 12:28 PM
Janine?

Hee Hee, that's the first one that came to my mind as well. :D

BetaV1
12-31-2013, 12:37 PM
There's much talk that the Bears may franchise Cutty. It makes financial sense for them as the tag is imagined to be in the area of 16.5ish million. That's not too far off from where his annual salary was with the Bears to begin with.

Even so, I've come to the realization that Cutler probably cannot be had for atleast $15 million and that is too steep for my taste.

I guess my quarterback for next year is Bridgewater... I'm scared. :hides:

You know, there's nothing stopping us from doing what the Redskins did when they took RGIII and simply draft two quarterbacks in there is another good one sitting there.

Texian
12-31-2013, 02:48 PM
The biggest question to me is , who's our QB next year. Nothing else will have as big an impact on W's and L's.

So .... who ya got ?!

1. Blake Bortles
2. Zach Mettenberger
3. Johnny Manziel
4. Teddy Bridgewater

(I think all go in the first round)

htownfan32
12-31-2013, 02:59 PM
1. Blake Bortles
2. Zach Mettenberger
3. Johnny Manziel
4. Teddy Bridgewater

I'd take Bortles or Bridgewater. Manziel.... eh. Love him as an Aggie but can't really see him here, he seems like a guy destined to be an Oakland Raider or a Cleveland Brown.

Mettenberger looked great this year but that injury concerns me.

2slik4u
12-31-2013, 03:07 PM
I'd like us to sign Cutler. If we do choose to draft a QB in the first round, he can take time to learn under a veteran QB. I also believe Cutler gives us the best opportunity to win next year. I can't see a rookie QB leading us to a Super Bowl.

Sweet Mary...please no.

bigmck
12-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Sweet Mary...please no.

Cutler isn't even the best QB on the Bears.

kingtexan
12-31-2013, 03:28 PM
The more I think about it, I don't even know if there is going to be a QB worth using our second round pick on when we get there. I think we need to look at 3rd or 4th round QB unless someone drops to the 2nd that isn't supposed to. Really only 3 or 4 QB's that you could justify 1st or 2nd round grades on this year. Picking one at #1 would be ignorant. Go build the OL and DL/DB with the first two or three rounds, then get a QB.

Marcus
12-31-2013, 03:34 PM
I don't get it. The big knock against Mettenburger seems to be the knee injury, but then NOT have injury concerns with Cutler??

When has Cutler NOT been injured? Stop with this wanting to get Cutler here, as if he will miraculously become a more durable player, a player that will always answer the bell, hurting or not.

Cutler . . :thumbdown no thanks!

thunderkyss
12-31-2013, 03:57 PM
So anyone who disagrees with your plan isn't serious about winning. My, such hubris.

If that's what your "law degree" gets out of my entire post..... whatever.

Cutler isn't even the best QB on the Bears.

Which is why he might be available & he's better than any QB we have on this team.

When has Cutler NOT been injured? Stop with this wanting to get Cutler here, as if he will miraculously become a more durable player, a player that will always answer the bell, hurting or not.

Cutler . . :thumbdown no thanks!

What if he can help us to 10 wins before he gets hurt? Then Bridgewater takes over after watching from the sideline for 14 weeks, plus a bye. His legend starts in the play-offs.

Cutler moves on. We move on.

Mari-OWNED!
12-31-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm still holding out hope that Sage Rosenfels un-retires and leads the Texans to the promise land...

mussop
12-31-2013, 04:17 PM
1. Blake Bortles
2. Zach Mettenberger
3. Johnny Manziel
4. Teddy Bridgewater

They will. I want Manziel but Would be happy with any of the others listed.

Goatcheese
12-31-2013, 04:23 PM
I'm still holding out hope that Sage Rosenfels un-retires and leads the Texans to the promise land...

Yeah, just tie some ropes to him and he can fly the team there.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/706192/rosencopter-o.gif

I hear the NSA recently looked into bringing him in to fly around with surveillance cameras. They think his contract would be less than the cost of high tech drones.

badboy
12-31-2013, 04:36 PM
A lot of them this year, actually.Name them and claim 'em. I am very disappointed in this year's crop as far as starting material. Some are LTs only like Kouandijo and others will have a NFL career as guards. Antonio Richardson could move to RT and maybe survive but imo would not beat out Newton. JuWuan James is only pure right tackle that could start day one. I also am interested in Moses but think he needs a year unless we go to a pure power O.

I think many are going to be surprised if Newton comes back 100% healthy.

Cyril Richardson now a OG would thrive at RT imo but would probably be day one starter replacing Smith if selected.

:tiphat:

76Texan
12-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Honestly......... sounds like he's talking about Case Keenum.

I have a feeling we're going to be in for a long, long season. Or short, depending when you decide to check out.

I was just saying in the college football forum that BOB might just target his own boy at Penn St.
After all, the guy graded out higher than Jaimeis Winston (out of highschool).

So a vet with a 2-yr contract isn't far-fetch.

badboy
12-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Here's a story of a man named ____ ?

Jed a poor Mountaineer that barely kept his family fed..
I love that guy and his niece even more. Did not know he was a QB but hey

76Texan
12-31-2013, 04:44 PM
Name them and claim 'em. I am very disappointed in this year's crop as far as starting material. Some are LTs only like Kouandijo and others will have a NFL career as guards. Antonio Richardson could move to RT and maybe survive but imo would not beat out Newton. JuWuan James is only pure right tackle that could start day one. I also am interested in Moses but think he needs a year unless we go to a pure power O.

Cyril Richardson now a OG would thrive at RT imo but would probably be day one starter replacing Smith if selected.

:tiphat:whereabout does Richardson rate?
I'd like to trade down to get him and trade away for a future pick, or two.
Take a RT in the second or early third.
I would build an O-line and trade away for as many future picks as possible for the next franchise QB either next year or in 2015.
BOB has a bit of a leeway as a new HC, and the QB pipe looks stronger down the road.

htownfan32
12-31-2013, 04:58 PM
Name them and claim 'em. I am very disappointed in this year's crop as far as starting material. Some are LTs only like Kouandijo and others will have a NFL career as guards. Antonio Richardson could move to RT and maybe survive but imo would not beat out Newton. JuWuan James is only pure right tackle that could start day one. I also am interested in Moses but think he needs a year unless we go to a pure power O.

:tiphat:

If Cedric Ogbuehi was coming out from A&M this season I would take him in the second no questions asked (depending on how the draft has shaken out to that point). Lots of talent there. Oggie will likely stay to showcase his talents at LT much like Mathews got to move to LT after Joeckel left.

badboy
12-31-2013, 05:00 PM
whereabout does Richardson rate?
I'd like to trade down to get him and trade away for a future pick, or two.
Take a RT in the second or early third.
I would build an O-line and trade away for as many future picks as possible for the next franchise QB either next year or in 2015.
BOB has a bit of a leeway as a new HC, and the QB pipe looks stronger down the road.Late first but imo LT only

badboy
12-31-2013, 05:00 PM
If Cedric Ogbuehi was coming out from A&M this season I would take him in the second no questions asked (depending on how the draft has shaken out to that point). Lots of talent there. Oggie will likely stay to showcase his talents at LT much like Mathews got to move to LT after Joeckel left.Agreed but smarter to do a Matthews and grade up

Corrosion
12-31-2013, 05:09 PM
We have the off-season now.
Would you care to go through each of his pass attempts while I go through each of the opponent QBs' pass attempts (and Schaub's for that matter), to validate your claim?

That claim is validated by the fact that HHWNBM could complete 72% of his passes in this same offense in his first year playing in it while Keenum cant top 60% after two full seasons.

He made some plays no doubt but the majority were when the defense broke down and he escaped pressure. He seldom made the routine plays that move the sticks.

Plain and simple , Keenum couldn't read pre snap nor post snap defenses. Go back and check every play if you like .... You'll see how many easy throws he didn't make.

Keenum would have been a great story ..... but this one has no Hollywood ending.

76Texan
12-31-2013, 05:11 PM
This should go into the college football forum, but just a head-up, google for "Jacob Park football". There are quite a few videos on this high school senior who was named Mr S. Car football.

There's a highlight clip of him as a Jr in highschool.

Looks like a cross between Luck/RG III/Wilson.

He's listed at 6'4 but may be 6'3.
I saw him between 208-235 (I gues it depends on the time when it was listed.)

And he's only rated between 5-9 at his position.
He makes moves that even Luck can't pull off.
And his arm is already really good, considering the tape was for his Junior year in HS.

The future pipe is looking good.

76Texan
12-31-2013, 05:22 PM
That claim is validated by the fact that HHWNBM could complete 72% of his passes in this same offense in his first year playing in it while Keenum cant top 60% after two full seasons.

He made some plays no doubt but the majority were when the defense broke down and he escaped pressure. He seldom made the routine plays that move the sticks.

Plain and simple , Keenum couldn't read pre snap nor post snap defenses. Go back and check every play if you like .... You'll see how many easy throws he didn't make.

Keenum would have been a great story ..... but this one has no Hollywood ending.
I did check every play many times both for the Texans QBs as well as the opponents.

QBs will miss a read here and there, especially first time starters.

Carr's rookie completion pct was 52.5, AYA was 4.7, which means a lot of dinks and dunks.
His 2006 numbers were 68.3, and 5.5, but that was his fifth year in the NFL, all as starter. He threw for 11 TDs and 12 INTs.

Case's numbers read 54.2, and 6.6, 9 TDs and 6 INTs.
(Including the bounced-off INT.)

So which numbers do you like ?

Honoring Earl 34
12-31-2013, 05:29 PM
Jed a poor Mountaineer that barely kept his family fed..
I love that guy and his niece even more. Did not know he was a QB but hey

Come listen to a story about a man name Jed or Phil .

BullNation4Life
12-31-2013, 05:57 PM
If Hundley is coming out from UCLA, I am looking at him very closely...

Corrosion
12-31-2013, 09:23 PM
So which numbers do you like ?

HWWNBM's numbers his first year in Kubiak's offense. Clearly better than those of Keenum this year at least in terms of completion percentage and extending drives.

My point was that BOTH of them SUCK at playing QB in the NFL.

If you went back and watched every play from Keenum this season , you'd realize the facts - He cant read an NFL defense. He didn't just miss a read here and there .... He missed the routine plays. He had no clue about protection scheme's either ... overload on one side (not a blitz) and he couldn't make the hot read and get rid of the ball.

Yeah , he made a few plays when he escaped pressure .... but those were few and far between once defenses realized all they had to do was blitz him ... those pretty much went the way of the Dodo.

I had high hopes for Keenum at one time too ..... but they were unrealistic. I'm glad he got his shot but its over , other than maybe as a backup.

Norg
12-31-2013, 11:22 PM
unless BOB AKA bill o brein who I will now call BOB from now on

unless he sees something I don't see a Franchise QB in this draft so I would trade down or just use the pick on DEF

then I guess has of right now we would be stuck with whoever is the cheapest QB we have right now IDK if that's Keenum or Scahub or yates

Corrosion
12-31-2013, 11:29 PM
then I guess has of right now we would be stuck with whoever is the cheapest QB we have right now IDK if that's Keenum or Scahub or yates

None of those guy's are options to start for this team next season .... its either a FA (Probably not Cutler as he'll cost too much) or an early draft pick.

Marcus
01-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Well, after watching Bridgewater in his bowl game, and after watching the Chick-Fil-A Bowl . . . I would say if they can't trade down, and are stuck with 1.1, . .

. . . I would roll the dice with Manziel. His passion, his mobility, but above else, that quick release, pretty much has me sold.

Big Lou
01-01-2014, 01:05 AM
I wonder if Rosenfails is healthy yet?

Norg
01-01-2014, 02:40 AM
None of those guy's are options to start for this team next season .... its either a FA (Probably not Cutler as he'll cost too much) or an early draft pick.

why are none of these guys options its not like we are making the playoffs next season so yeah

I for one say we should keep Matt if it saves us money

AnthonyE
01-01-2014, 02:56 AM
Bring McCown home

The Bearkat in me wouldnt be opposed to that in the least bit.

Borowicz50
01-01-2014, 03:12 AM
I personally like the idea of taking OT Jake Matthews tackle from Texas A&M & solidifying the offensive line which was another big problem this year. He can begin life as the RT & when Duane Brown gets older or begins to break down can eventually take over that slot & they would switch at that point.

This would enable us to take a QB in the second round basically best available but he will have a solid line in front of him that will aid in the running & passing game as opposed to picking a QB in the first round & then having no run game on the right side nor protection either.

I would be fine with the QBs looking to go in the second round such as A.J. McCarron or someone who may slip out of the first round. This type of philosophy sets up better in all facets as our running backs & QB are better & we may even consider trading a 3rd rounder to Washington for Kirk Cousins. We have tons of options but I feel the safer pick & the best for any team is to always develop the offensive & defensive lines. Jadavian Clowney is great but too many off the field issues & a lack of motor on the field makes him feel less JJ Watt more Mario Williams.

my 2 cents

legacy_gt
01-01-2014, 03:13 AM
i'll let our new coach decide. he'll know more than anybody here.

Ryan
01-01-2014, 03:17 AM
I personally like the idea of taking OT Jake Matthews tackle from Texas A&M & solidifying the offensive line which was another big problem this year. He can begin life as the RT & when Duane Brown gets older or begins to break down can eventually take over that slot & they would switch at that point.

This would enable us to take a QB in the second round basically best available but he will have a solid line in front of him that will aid in the running & passing game as opposed to picking a QB in the first round & then having no run game on the right side nor protection either.

I would be fine with the QBs looking to go in the second round such as A.J. McCarron or someone who may slip out of the first round. This type of philosophy sets up better in all facets as our running backs & QB are better & we may even consider trading a 3rd rounder to Washington for Kirk Cousins. We have tons of options but I feel the safer pick & the best for any team is to always develop the offensive & defensive lines. Jadavian Clowney is great but too many off the field issues & a lack of motor on the field makes him feel less JJ Watt more Mario Williams.

my 2 cents

No matter what Jake Matthews or any guy who will play RT for us is not worth a first round pick at all much less the first overall. Find a guy to compete with Newton and the rest in the 2nd or 3rd at earliest.

Corrosion
01-01-2014, 04:22 AM
No matter what Jake Matthews or any guy who will play RT for us is not worth a first round pick at all much less the first overall. Find a guy to compete with Newton and the rest in the 2nd or 3rd at earliest.

So .... who do you take at 1:1..... assuming you don't believe in the QB's available (which I don't) and you are unable to trade back.

Clowney's pretty much a joke ... LOL @ more speeding tickets than sacks ....

Hard to justify Matthews (I was on that ship for a while).

No one else has separated themselves yet - tho its early pre combine.

Mariota is staying in school , Johnny Football is difficult to forecast as an NFL talent , Bridgewater played against a bunch of scrubs and has piss poor mechanics .... Mettenberger & Murray have injury questions and McCarron is difficult at best to diagnose .... then again he could be this drafts Aaron Rogers.

Barr .... meh.

Do you take one of those questionable QB talents with huge bust potential over one of those position players like Mosley (best football player in this draft) who may lock down their position for a decade at a probowl level ?!

This is flat out the wrong year to have the #1 pick .....

Brandon420tx
01-01-2014, 08:15 AM
I'm going to let the RT in the first round at all thing slide.

Ok no I'm not, even before the new rookie CBA teams were taking RT prospects from pick 20 on. Sure these teams were usually already established, but still.

Personally I'd like to pry Cassel away from the Vikings somehow. That way we'll have at least 1 vet QB with experience dealing with O'Brien.

Bridgewater
Cassel
Keenum

01-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Bridgewater played against a bunch of scrubs and has piss poor mechanics

... Piss poor mechanics? Bridgewater is pretty damn polished.

Grams
01-01-2014, 08:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmH7jvQN4zk

You guys need to see this before you decide who is the QB.

originally posted by Vinny on another thread.

kingtexan
01-01-2014, 09:20 AM

Apparently you haven't watched him throw the ball. Its like he is playing cricket, or trying to get the last out with a submarine slider at times. He rarely, from what I have seen personally, demonstrates the prototypical over-the-top mechanics that QB's are taught. He is an "athlete", nothing more. Will not be a star in the NFL.

cstyle42
01-01-2014, 09:24 AM

Lol did he confuse Bridgewater with Vince Young?

01-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Apparently you haven't watched him throw the ball. Its like he is playing cricket, or trying to get the last out with a submarine slider at times. He rarely from what I have seen personally demonstrates the prototypical over-the-top mechanics that QB's are taught. He is an "athlete", nothing more. Will not be a star in the NFL.

LOL. Wow. Are YOU watching him play? I'll admit that his throwing motion is a little different, but to say he has "piss poor mechanics" couldn't be more inaccurate. He EASILY has the best footwork / accuracy in this draft.

kingtexan
01-01-2014, 09:31 AM
LOL. Wow. Are YOU watching him play? I'll admit that his throwing motion is a little different, but to say he has "piss poor mechanics" couldn't be more inaccurate. He EASILY has the best footwork / accuracy in this draft.

He is a good college QB, but the eye test shows his mechanics aren't great, and frankly his accuracy numbers are helped out by the receivers adjusting. Not to the extent that Schaub had ridiculous number mirages because of all his receivers bailing him out, but at times TB throws them up and has the talent go get them.

DexmanC
01-01-2014, 09:36 AM
My QB?

Read my SIG.

djohn2oo8
01-01-2014, 09:40 AM
He is a good college QB, but the eye test shows his mechanics aren't great, and frankly his accuracy numbers are helped out by the receivers adjusting. Not to the extent that Schaub had ridiculous number mirages because of all his receivers bailing him out, but at times TB throws them up and has the talent go get them.

lol Bridgewater puts the ball where only his receivers can get it.

djohn2oo8
01-01-2014, 09:49 AM
And Bridgewater is my QB for the simple fact I don't want anymore g'damn Aggies on this team.

76Texan
01-01-2014, 10:01 AM
HWWNBM's numbers his first year in Kubiak's offense. Clearly better than those of Keenum this year at least in terms of completion percentage and extending drives.

My point was that BOTH of them SUCK at playing QB in the NFL.

If you went back and watched every play from Keenum this season , you'd realize the facts - He cant read an NFL defense. He didn't just miss a read here and there .... He missed the routine plays. He had no clue about protection scheme's either ... overload on one side (not a blitz) and he couldn't make the hot read and get rid of the ball.

Yeah , he made a few plays when he escaped pressure .... but those were few and far between once defenses realized all they had to do was blitz him ... those pretty much went the way of the Dodo.

I had high hopes for Keenum at one time too ..... but they were unrealistic. I'm glad he got his shot but its over , other than maybe as a backup.

It should be easy for you to give a few dozens of examples?

thunderkyss
01-01-2014, 10:33 AM
unless he sees something I don't see a Franchise QB in this draft so I would trade down or just use the pick on DEF

I wouldn't say there are no franchise QBs, just not any sure things. Bridgewater, Manziel, Mariotta (if he declares), Hundley could all be franchise QBs.

I just wouldn't pay a #1 overall for them. I'd be just as happy with Hundley at 12 as I would be with Bridgewater at 5.

TheIronDuke
01-01-2014, 10:40 AM
I want Bridgewater but I'll trust O'Brien to make the right call and decide who is right if we draft one over any poster on any message board.

thunderkyss
01-01-2014, 10:46 AM

What if we switch to a more traditional power run game? What if Duane Brown isn't good enough outside the ZBS? What if O'Brien already "knows" that?

So instead of drafting a RT, he's looking to draft a "better" LT?

I like Brown, but he's not the best guy to ever play the position. He had a down year in 2013, what if that's as good as it gets from here out? For some medical reason...

I understand we just signed him to a bunch of money, but starting him at LT because we paid him a lot of money is the same folly as starting Schaub because we paid him a lot of money.

I'm not saying that Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan can beat out Duane Brown. But if they can, it improves our OL a lot better than just an upgrade at RT. We'll dominate at the point of attack.

Then we draft a Brees, Dalton, Kaepernick, or Wilson in the second which is just as likely as drafting the next Rogers, Roethlisberger, or Rivers in the first.

TheIronDuke
01-01-2014, 10:59 AM
After seeing Blake Bortles' girlfriend, I think he is the QB for us.

texan279
01-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Hopefully not Manziel.....

Hervoyel
01-01-2014, 11:43 AM
At this point I see a bunch of QB's who all have a chance to develop into a franchise QB or if things don't work out as expected they could develop into the next color-commentary guy for their schools football radio broadcasts. No sure things but plenty of potential.

I don't want to say that I'm drunk on the BOB Kool-aid but I'm satisfied that he'll pick the best candidate for what he wants to do and he'll make that pick as much based on the football IQ of the guy as anything we're seeing in highlights on Youtube.

Bill's got this. I'm fine with whoever he decides to go with.

Vinny
01-01-2014, 11:51 AM
At this point I see a bunch of QB's who all have a chance to develop into a franchise QB or if things don't work out as expected they could develop into the next color-commentary guy for their schools football radio broadcasts. No sure things but plenty of potential.

I don't want to say that I'm drunk on the BOB Kool-aid but I'm satisfied that he'll pick the best candidate for what he wants to do and he'll make that pick as much based on the football IQ of the guy as anything we're seeing in highlights on Youtube.

Bill's got this. I'm fine with whoever he decides to go with.
This is pretty much where I'm at also. Everything else is slingblade hand-wringing. The year JJ Watt was drafted I heard lots of moaning and griping...the year 0k0ye was drafted I heard lots of satisfied musings and the all knowing head nods.

hradhak
01-01-2014, 12:46 PM
I agree with the sentiment that BOB will have a good idea of who he wants. My guess is that guy will be Bridgewater. From what I understand he lost some weight because he had reconstructive jaw surgery to fix a severe overbite prior to last season so he wasnt able to eat enough.

If he gains 25 lbs to be closer to 240 I think he'll be fine durability wise. He's got real good touch on the passes I've seen, doesn't seem to throw INTs and has really good pocket presence.

I'm not sure about Blake Bortles. Fiesta Bowl will be the first time I'll see him. I see him as being the #2 behind Bridgewater right now.

I highly doubt Manziel will be a Texan.

speedfreek
01-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Probably McGloin, given the way I feel about this coaching hire.

Sorry, I ain't buying into the Obrien hype. Let someone else
experiment with a guy that has ZERO NFL head coaching experience

TJ

beerlover
01-01-2014, 12:58 PM
http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/TBridgewater.jpg

Teddy Bridgewater is Texan worthy, just so happens they need a QB & have the first selection overall in the 2014 NFL Draft http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000288658/article/2014-nfl-draft-order-top-three-needs-for-all-32-teams

thunderkyss
01-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6JLz-M9E8E) the Bortles vs Penn State game you've heard so much about.

Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6JLz-M9E8E)

Uncle Rico
01-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Can anyone post a more credible critique of Bridgewaters "piss poor mechanics" because apart from his ability to diagnose a defense, his footwork, quick release, velocity, pocket awareness and accuracy are way better than any QB in college football not named Winston. Do people really believe an exaggerated over the top release like Hundley is ideal all of the time? I prefer a guy who can make multiple angle deliveries.

JB
01-01-2014, 01:09 PM

TJ

You'd rather a bad coach that has already proven he's a failure?

infantrycak
01-01-2014, 01:12 PM

TJ

So only a retread would have been a good choice?

Uncle Rico
01-01-2014, 01:21 PM
http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/12/30/5254940/2014-nfl-draft-armchair-scouting-teddy-bridgewater

Texecutioner
01-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Bortles!! Can't wait to watch him tonight.

Honoring Earl 34
01-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Yep ... usually a retread has proven one thing . :cowboy1:

Honoring Earl 34
01-01-2014, 01:38 PM

I'm afraid Bortles won't be the best QB in that game .

DBCooper
01-01-2014, 01:40 PM

No, only if they have won multiple Super Bowls.

It's a wonder any coach gets a first time gig in the NFL, after everyone retires there's no one with NFL head coaching experience left.

Lucky
01-01-2014, 01:59 PM
In 2014, I wouldn't be surprised to see Matt Cassel show up, via a trade or in free agency if he is released by the Vikes. In the future, I'm not discounting Brett Hundley entering the draft and climbing up boards. He would have the best metrics of any of the QBs, plus upside. I see a lot of Cam Newton in Hundley.

DBCooper
01-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Tony Romo

JK .... sort of

paycheck71
01-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Kyle Orton was mentioned earlier. I'd have no problem with that as a stop gap QB. Dallas will have to cut him to help fix their cap situation.

Pats fans are ready to trade Mallet to us for a 3rd. Don't know enough about him to like him or not.

01-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Can anyone post a more credible critique of Bridgewaters "piss poor mechanics" because apart from his ability to diagnose a defense, his footwork, quick release, velocity, pocket awareness and accuracy are way better than any QB in college football not named Winston. Do people really believe an exaggerated over the top release like Hundley is ideal all of the time? I prefer a guy who can make multiple angle deliveries.

Thank you! I was wondering where the other sane people on this board were to back me up on that...

Uncle Rico
01-01-2014, 02:49 PM
In 2014, I wouldn't be surprised to see Matt Cassel show up, via a trade or in free agency if he is released by the Vikes. In the future, I'm not discounting Brett Hundley entering the draft and climbing up boards. He would have the best metrics of any of the QBs, plus upside. I see a lot of Cam Newton in Hundley.

Not impressed. Watched him yesterday and he's another new breed who would rather make a play with his feet than his arm. Throwing to wide open receivers on a post doesn't show me much, he's not reading the defense, looking off DBs or adjusting the play at the line.

Who was the last "running" QB to win a Super Bowl, Steve Young? Just saying.

Hundley would be better served by going back to school and learning the science of quarterbacking, his physical ability alone will not get it done at the next level. Reminds me a lot of VY when he was in school.

That Bruin LB #20 was the most impressive player on the fueld yesterday IMO.

Uncle Rico
01-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Im I'm looking forward to watching Bortles and see what the hype is about. Petty to me is a system guy I think anyone who runs the Briles/Sumlin offense will have big numbers.

stingray
01-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Cassel, Kyle orton. Really? And then what? Hope we get a low pick next year to draft a qb for the future? Lets just rename the Texans to the Browns of the south.

JCTexan
01-01-2014, 02:57 PM

Exactly. He must have a ton of confidence. link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhhAOFVJV-U)

steelbtexan
01-01-2014, 02:57 PM

I'm on board with this. Or Manziel/McCarron's girlfriend.

bOODRO87
01-01-2014, 03:08 PM
I look forward to Teddy being drafted and fitting the bill because some of the ideas you guys have should be illegal. 2015 QBs, Cutler, Cassel, Keenum, guys that just had ACLs.. WTF is wrong with y'all?

And the things people will say to downplay Teddy. Incredible.

steelbtexan
01-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Im I'm looking forward to watching Bortles and see what the hype is about. Petty to me is a system guy I think anyone who runs the Briles/Sumlin offense will have big numbers.

Have you seen Petty play? Superb arm strength, really good mobility, appears to be a smart kid, great tough and accuracy.

Petty would be my #1 QB in this yrs draft.

welsh texan
01-01-2014, 03:20 PM
I am just chucking this one out there so lets not go crazy for the suggestion, but the rams are due to pay Sam Bradford $14 million next year but receive no cap hit if they cut him.

They have the chance to draft Johnny Football for a significant cap saving.

Should the Texans take a look at Bradford if he becomes available?

JCTexan
01-01-2014, 03:22 PM
I am just chucking this one out there so lets not go crazy for the suggestion, but the rams are due to pay Sam Bradford $14 million next year but receive no cap hit if they cut him.

Only if he's a short term solution while we're waiting for the #1 pick to develop.

Uncle Rico
01-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Have you seen Petty play? Superb arm strength, really good mobility, appears to be a smart kid, great tough and accuracy.

Petty would be my #1 QB in this yrs draft.

I think he has skills obviously, and Briles has said he's the best QB he's ever coached which carries a lot of weight with me since I respect Briles as a coach immensely. With all that said, I value a college QB who is already familiar with pro style offenses, is more polished and ready to start right away, spread QBs are getting eaten for lunch in the NFL.

guichows6
01-01-2014, 03:42 PM
JM is the CLEAR CUT best qb coming out of this draft and its not even close..heck, he might be just as good a prospect as Andrew Luck was and it seems NOBODY sees it. Why is this?? This is the most underrated guy coming out this year. The only reason he isn't the BEST prospect since...nobody, is because he isn't 6'4..THATS IT. You read that right. That is the only true reason. If he was 6'4 doing the things he does he would be an Andrew Luck/Michael Vick best of both worlds combination and everybody in the sports world would peg him as the next surefire HOF qb. The thing is he still is, except he's not 6'4.
Now, I understand he does have his cons like any other qb but they are also correctable.

Cons: 1)Runs too much...that's adjustable.
2)Holds ball with one hand while scrambling and running...thats adjustable
3) Off field issues....umm not really, im sure you have done worse.
4)...anything else?

Ok now the pros.
Pros:
1) Extremely high football IQ
2) Very passionate about the game, True leader
3)Clutch and a Winner
4) Strong arm, accurate passer,pocket presence when there is protection, Field Vision
5) Masterful footwork, scrambling ability only few have, extremely shifty and quick, human highlight
6) Best stats ive ever seen for a two year starter in college.
7) IT
8) extremely underrated

The only thing that has everyone blind and worried is his height. His frame isn't even fully matured yet. How old is he like 20!? Hes going to get alot thicker the next few years. He is only going to get better. Much much better. Dont compare him to Young, Vick, Tebow, etc. This guy is more like Russell Wilson on steroids (excuse the saying) . Bill O Brien if you see this, please make the right choice. Johnny Football is the TRUTH.

And just so its out there, Im not even an A&M fan. I didn't even watch the bowl game last night. He'll I was on the Bridgewater bandwagon before I did some research on this drafts qb's this past week.
Well fast forward to today Jan1 2014 and I see the light.

Johnny Manziel is the CLEAR CUT #1 OVERALL DRAFT CHOICE IN THIS YEARS DRAFT.

I posted this reply on another message board so I'm just going to be lazy n paste it here.

Uncle Rico
01-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Could you post all the subsequent inflammatory replies that you received on that site and save everyone a bunch of time.

Goatcheese
01-01-2014, 03:59 PM
JM is the CLEAR CUT best qb coming out of this draft and its not even close..

Oh look, an Aggie. :toropalm:

FirstTexansFan
01-01-2014, 04:05 PM

But he said he wasn't.. I on the other hand... Bleed Maroon, and no way do I use my 1.1 for JFF... Later in the round maybe.

kingtexan
01-01-2014, 04:22 PM

This is pretty much what this board should stick to. The combined football IQ of 90% of the frequenters of TT would make them prime candidates to make a major football decision based on how the players girlfriend looked.

DBCooper
01-01-2014, 04:26 PM
This is pretty much what this board should stick to. The combined football IQ of 90% of the frequenters of TT would make them prime candidates to make a major football decision based on how the players girlfriend looked.

Probably be about as right as your stellar analysis.

Texecutioner
01-01-2014, 04:36 PM

Aside from this GF nonsense, do you dislike Bortles? If so please explain why?

Big Lou
01-01-2014, 04:45 PM

I was thinking about Bradford this morning. Would be a good 2 year band aid.

guichows6
01-01-2014, 04:53 PM

Not at all. In fact I'm not much of a college guy. With simple research you can come to the same conclusion. Who does what better than Manziel? Maybe they can grow better, but thats about it. JM does it all.

steelbtexan
01-01-2014, 04:59 PM
I think he has skills obviously, and Briles has said he's the best QB he's ever coached which carries a lot of weight with me since I respect Briles as a coach immensely. With all that said, I value a college QB who is already familiar with pro style offenses, is more polished and ready to start right away, spread QBs are getting eaten for lunch in the NFL.

Fair enough

GuerillaBlack
01-01-2014, 04:59 PM
The only thing Bridgewater has over Manziel is height. If Manziel had Bridgewater's height, no one would be talking about the glove man. I would take Manziel over TB with the first overall pick.

BigBull
01-01-2014, 05:23 PM
The only thing Bridgewater has over Manziel is height. If Manziel had Bridgewater's height, no one would be talking about the glove man. I would take Manziel over TB with the first overall pick.

Manziel is my favorite player in college football, but Bridgewater has a quicker release and better pocket presence.

Sent from the future...

Texaninlild
01-01-2014, 05:34 PM
But he said he wasn't.. I on the other hand... Bleed Maroon, and no way do I use my 1.1 for JFF... Later in the round maybe.

We throw this thought process around a lot on grabbing a player later in the round, but if this is the QB you believe in to take your team to the next level, why do you need to wait? If a player is a wasted pick at 1 or 15, they are still wasted.

I believe JM is the best college player at any position, but does that translate into a great NFL player, not always. I would embrace JM at #1 if after evaluations on something outside of height he still looks like the best QB.

guichows6
01-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Manziel is my favorite player in college football, but Bridgewater has a quicker release and better pocket presence.

Sent from the future...

No way. Maybe he has a little bit better pocket presence but thats not to say manziel doesn't have any. Besides Bridgewater had an extra year to improve. Manziel has pocket presence as well and very good at that. Bridgewater doesn't have the playmaking manziel has. As far as release, I think Bridgewater is slower tbh

TheIronDuke
01-01-2014, 05:41 PM

Or maybe you can look up two posts from that one which would help you wrap your mind around the fact that I was obviously joking.

guichows6
01-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Could you post all the subsequent inflammatory replies that you received on that site and save everyone a bunch of time.

I was actually waiting for some but havent got much yet. Got anymore?

BigBull
01-01-2014, 05:53 PM
No way. Maybe he has a little bit better pocket presence but thats not to say manziel doesn't have any. Besides Bridgewater had an extra year to improve. Manziel has pocket presence as well and very good at that. Bridgewater doesn't have the playmaking manziel has. As far as release, I think Bridgewater is slower tbh

It's not even close Teddy is far and away quicker with his release and has better pocket presence by a lot. I also add a more polished passer. Of corse all of this is just my opinion. JFF is the most exciting player in college football, but that doesn't mean he's the best qb as far as skill set.

Sent from the future...

JRingo
01-01-2014, 06:04 PM

X2. Me as well. Looks pretty good to me.

Hervoyel
01-01-2014, 06:05 PM
JM is the CLEAR CUT best qb coming out of this draft and its not even close..

.....Johnny Manziel is the CLEAR CUT #1 OVERALL DRAFT CHOICE IN THIS YEARS DRAFT.

I posted this reply on another message board so I'm just going to be lazy n paste it here.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/bb5868fca5956427bcd0abc54bfce9d8/tumblr_mj487iFSmG1s0pj15o1_250.gif

Uncle Rico
01-01-2014, 06:07 PM
I was actually waiting for some but havent got much yet. Got anymore?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000307451/article/film-room-teddy-bridgewater-primed-to-be-next-great-qb-in-nfl

Is that enough?

JRingo
01-01-2014, 06:11 PM

Sent from the future...

Any opinions on Connor Shaw from SC?

guichows6
01-01-2014, 06:44 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000307451/article/film-room-teddy-bridgewater-primed-to-be-next-great-qb-in-nfl

Is that enough?

No.

Its a good article but as the end says, Manziel is the only other qb that can challenge Bridgewater for best qb in this draft.
Either way these two qb's will be playing against each other for a long time. Jax will take either of those two unless the browns trade with the redskins and scoop em up first. We need to make the right choice.

Uncle Rico
01-01-2014, 06:47 PM
No.

Its a good article but as the end says, Manziel is the only other qb that can challenge Bridgewater for best qb in this draft.
Either way these two qb's will be playing against each other for a long time. Jax will take either of those two unless the browns trade with the redskins and scoop em up first. We need to make the right choice.

That's fair. I just want to temper the JFF is head and shoulders the best QB talk because it is not accurate. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

bOODRO87
01-01-2014, 06:57 PM
The AFC South could very possibly turn out exciting to watch. Luck, Teddy with Texans, and Johnny with the Jags. Sorry Manziel fans, he's good but I don't see the Texans skipping on Bridgewater and rightfully so.

Edit: I forgot about Cleveland and Minny. I'm still hungover.

kingtexan
01-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Aside from this GF nonsense, do you dislike Bortles? If so please explain why?

I like Bortles. Just giving them a hard time about the girlfriend comment.

TexansFight
01-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Blake Bortles looks terrible in the Fiesta Bowl against a mediocre defense. DO NOT WANT.

Norg
01-01-2014, 11:33 PM
Rumor has it Ryan Mallett

BigBull
01-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Blake Bortles looks terrible in the Fiesta Bowl against a mediocre defense. DO NOT WANT.

All I know is I've watched him twice now and I think he is really raw. The other game was the UofH game that he didn't even throw a td in the entire game. I can see why some like him though with his size and his scrambling ability.

Sent from the future...

JCTexan
01-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Rumor has it Ryan Mallett

Rumor? Link?

Norg
01-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Rumor? Link?

Just a Rumor that BOB said he has his eye on Ryan mallet already cuz he does not feel any QB's In the 1st round in this draft or does not feel any are worth a #1 pick

BigBull
01-02-2014, 12:00 AM
Just a Rumor that BOB said he has his eye on Ryan mallet already cuz he does not feel any QB's In the 1st round in this draft or does not feel any are worth a #1 pick

I wouldn't mind seeing Big Tex in a Texans uniform. Although I think you would still have to draft a qb by the 3rd or 4th round to compete with him.

Sent from the future...

Goatcheese
01-02-2014, 12:30 AM
I think Bridgewater is the clearcut #1 at this point. He isn't an elite prospect like Luck or Manning coming out, but I would say he's in the Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, David Carr range (yes I know two of them were busts, it has nothing to do with the scouting process). He's smart, reads defenses extremely well, uses all of his receivers and goes through his progressions, has a strong arm, great footwork, quick release, great accuracy in the pocket or on the move, ran a pro style offense, and has great poise under pressure (among the best blitz beaters in college), great pocket presence and a high character type. There just isn't much to knock the guy for except size.

After him by a good margin is Derek Carr. He's the elite physical prospect in this class with the big gun, size and athleticism. Lazer Rocket Arm, good accuracy, experienced, makes good pre-snap adjustments after reading the defense, good football IQ and is a student of the game. Mostly played out of the shotgun and struggles when pressured.

I wouldn't look at the other QB prospects in the top 10. Manziel has the character of a turd, a wimpy arm, and his style of football is going to get him broken in half by the end of his first NFL game.

Tolar's Ghost
01-02-2014, 03:55 AM
McShay of ESPN projects the Texans taking Bridgewater at 1, Bortles going to Jax at 3, and Manziel to Cleve at 4.

Obviously, Bortles' stock is rising (quickly).

Texn4life
01-02-2014, 04:42 AM
McShay of ESPN projects the Texans taking Bridgewater at 1, Bortles going to Jax at 3, and Manziel to Cleve at 4.

Obviously, Bortles' stock is rising (quickly).

It would be awesome to see these guys practicing and competing at the Senior Bowl. That's one rule I would change even though it takes spots away from guys who stuck it out a full 4 years.

MistaRed
01-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Article written by Greg A. Bedard of MMQB on Teddy Bridgewater

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/02/teddy-bridgewater-2014-nfl-draft/

Bridgewater has vast responsibility at the line of scrimmage. First there is the kill system. Two or three plays are called in the huddle. Depending on the defense, Bridgewater has the ability to “kill” the first play, and run one of the others. It’s solely Bridgewater’s decision. Bridgewater also has an audible system at his disposal, with the same goal as every good NFL system: stay out of bad plays. If the play Watson has called has little chance of success against a particular defense, Bridgewater can change the play entirely at the line of scrimmage.

Finally, Bridgewater redirects the offensive line protections by either identifying the middle linebacker in man-to-man protections, or directing the slide one way or the other in zone.

TheIronDuke
01-02-2014, 11:24 AM

Interesting article. I've heard legends of such things from the elders, I believe they're called "audibles" or something like that. Though the concept of changing plays at the line of scrimmage is completely foreign to me I have heard that there is such a thing and that they can be used well, even. I'm glad Bridgewater seems to be able to handle those responsibilities and I'm pretty sure O'Brien might actually allow such a crazy idea like these new fangled "audibles" to be used.

EllisUnit
01-02-2014, 11:31 AM
I say we move out of the first pick and take brett hundley out of UCLA in the middle of the first. I like him better than bridgewater anyways.

Sigma
01-02-2014, 11:42 AM
cutler re-signed with the bears, so he is out of the list now

IlliniJen
01-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Interesting article. I've heard legends of such things from the elders, I believe they're called "audibles" or something like that. Though the concept of changing plays at the line of scrimmage is completely foreign to me I have heard that there is such a thing and that they can be used well, even. I'm glad Bridgewater seems to be able to handle those responsibilities and I'm pretty sure O'Brien might actually allow such a crazy idea like these new fangled "audibles" to be used.

What is an "audible"? Is that part of the run, run, pass, punt offense that we use?

deucetx
01-02-2014, 11:55 AM

Very nice find and a great read. Didn't realize Bridgewater had so much authority over the offense. Speaks high for his football IQ. Will be interesting what other information comes out as we progress through the offseason.

badboy
01-02-2014, 11:58 AM
What is an "audible"? Is that part of the run, run, pass, punt offense that we use?An audible is sometimes heard in the stands when a fan orders nachos & a beer then audibles "wait, make that two beers!"

2slik4u
01-02-2014, 12:00 PM
I say we move out of the first pick and take brett hundley out of UCLA in the middle of the first. I like him better than bridgewater anyways.

I would do that or Bortles.

Playoffs
01-02-2014, 12:04 PM
The Skinny On Teddy (http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/02/teddy-bridgewater-2014-nfl-draft/)
By Greg A. Bedard | MMQB.SI
In the coming months, as the 2014 draft nears, we will hear all about Teddy Bridgewater's lack of arm strength, size and other measurable qualities. But it's what is unseen that might propel the Louisville QB to be the No. 1 pick in MayThe inner belief in oneís ability. The never-ending quest for perfection at playing the position. An almost unhealthy competitive streak. The ability to lead. The desire not to be seen as being better than oneís teammate. Undeniable toughness.

Those are the traits that the great NFL quarterbacks have. Bridgewater possesses them as well. There will be much said over the next few months, in the run-up to the draft in May, about what Bridgewater might lack in prototypical arm strength, size and other things you can see. But he possesses the potential for greatness because of the things you canít.Bingo.

The Pencil Neck
01-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Franky, after reading up on Bridgewater and his IQ, he sounds exactly like what O'Brien wants in a player.

Lucky
01-02-2014, 12:08 PM
I don't want to turn this into a draft thread, but....

Look at the mock drafts of past years, and you will find big discrepancies between those made in January and April. No one knows who will or will not be available in the mid-1st round. Evaulations between the coaching staffs and scouts haven't begun. Then there are the combine, pro days, interviews, and more evaluations.

However, I do think this is shaping up to be a good, if not great, QB class. So in theory, you're idea about moving around and taking a QB somewhere besides 1-1 has possibilities. But, we're a long time from knowing who goes where at this point.

guichows6
01-02-2014, 12:18 PM
The Skinny On Teddy (http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/02/teddy-bridgewater-2014-nfl-draft/)
Bingo.

You can say the same thing about manziel though

DX-TEX
01-02-2014, 12:28 PM

But add in potential off field distractions (they WILL happen!) and Teddy is our guy.

TexanBacker93
01-02-2014, 12:29 PM
This is where one of those time machine things would be great. Go ahead 10 years, see which guy ends up being the best, where they fall in the draft and then come back trade down and take him.

If only life were like Madden.

Scooter
01-02-2014, 12:32 PM

the same guy who spent the entire offseason drunk and answering questions about whether football was his priority?

Playoffs
01-02-2014, 12:37 PM

Yes you can. No doubt. The kid is obnoxiously competitive. Everyone can see that. I have to read about it with Teddy.

More than anything else, I have to have that in my QB.

Hervoyel
01-02-2014, 12:49 PM

Young Fool! Do not utter such nonsense aloud! The gods are not kind to those who mock them with talk of "audibles" and blasphemous statements about changes to plays. At the line? Are you mad?

Go from this place now and study your play script in great detail. GREAT DETAIL I say! (May it never change).

Then say 10 "Hail Shanahan's" and you will be forgiven.

coon
01-02-2014, 12:55 PM

I don't think that you can, I have found nothing on Manziel about that kind of intelligence, or responsibility with the offense.

htownfan32
01-02-2014, 01:05 PM
the same guy who spent the entire offseason drunk and answering questions about whether football was his priority?

I don't care if you think he's the biggest douche on the planet, but when it's football time it's football time. Manziel is all football when it's football season. If he wants to Gronk it up the rest of the year I couldn't care less. Watch how he behaved on the sidelines on New Years Eve when A&M was down 38-17 to see how much he cares about football.

Disclaimer: I'm pulling for Bridgewater, not Manziel.

deucetx
01-02-2014, 01:29 PM

That was the media doing more than Manziel. He worked out in the offseason like any other. He was on record of working with QB specialist George Whitfield as even Kirk Herbstreit was there as well. Just because someone takes some off time to do other things doesn't mean they didn't workout to make themselves better. You don't workout 24 hours a day after all. Not to mention his play was better than previously.

Big Lou
01-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Anyone interested in Cutler can check him off the list, the Bears just signed him to a 7 year deal.

thunderkyss
01-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Anyone interested in Cutler can check him off the list, the Bears just signed him to a 7 year deal.

Bryan Hoyer moves to the top of the list.

santo
01-02-2014, 02:04 PM
With the recent articles posted on here, I'm jumping on the Teddy Bridgewater train.

djohn2oo8
01-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Bridgewater. The guy is just smart. I don't care about stats, can he win games?

drs23
01-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Bingo.

Yep.

Lack of arm strength. Disproved that vs. Miami. I saw ropes into tight windows. Don't do that without arm strength. Field General since his freshman year. No dummy there. Humility. Personally pulled the plug on the Heisman hype. Competitive. Football IQ. Reads defence at the line and checks into what's gonna work and makes it happen.

Kid sounds like a loser to me. :kitten:

Hervoyel
01-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Yep.

Lack of arm strength. Disproved that vs. Miami. I saw ropes into tight windows. Don't do that without arm strength. Field General since his freshman year. No dummy there. Humility. Personally pulled the plug on the Heisman hype. Competitive. Football IQ. Reads defence at the line and checks into what's gonna work and makes it happen.

Kid sounds like a loser to me. :kitten:

Sure. Sounds good to me. I give up. Teddy is inevitable so I might as well just get behind the pick now and get ready to jersey up.

djohn2oo8
01-02-2014, 02:51 PM
Plus intelligent QBs win rings, not flashy, scramble first QBs

Playoffs
01-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Hundley supposedly in the mix now: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103637

EllisUnit
01-02-2014, 03:30 PM
I don't want to turn this into a draft thread, but....

Look at the mock drafts of past years, and you will find big discrepancies between those made in January and April. No one knows who will or will not be available in the mid-1st round. Evaulations between the coaching staffs and scouts haven't begun. Then there are the combine, pro days, interviews, and more evaluations.

However, I do think this is shaping up to be a good, if not great, QB class. So in theory, you're idea about moving around and taking a QB somewhere besides 1-1 has possibilities. But, we're a long time from knowing who goes where at this point.

Agree it was my attempt at a half ass mock, i figure he will be a mid to late first rounder. Never know though

Hookem Horns
01-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Matt Schaub. We need to give O'Brien at least one season to see if he can fix Schaub.

The Texans can then draft Clowney, a physical freak at DE who's only knock is his work ethic.

GuerillaBlack
01-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Plus intelligent QBs win rings, not flashy, scramble first QBs

Manziel doesn't have low football iq.

TexansFight
01-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Matt Schaub. We need to give O'Brien at least one season to see if he can fix Schaub.

The Texans can then draft Clowney, a physical freak at DE who's only knock is his work ethic.

I don't see a :toropalm: :kitten:. Can't be serious right?

badboy
01-02-2014, 04:39 PM

You have just been demoted from Administrator. lol I have not seen "psychiatrist" on O'Brien's resume but he should be able to hire one I guess.

IlliniJen
01-02-2014, 04:45 PM

Get. OUT.

Get OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTT TTT!

EllisUnit
01-02-2014, 04:54 PM

i will dismiss this as a joke,,,you are infact joking................right ?

TheIronDuke
01-02-2014, 05:11 PM
The owner of the Texans message board is a Bucs and Giants fan first and thinks we should hang onto Schaub. :toropalm:

DBCooper
01-02-2014, 05:13 PM

You're hilarious Hookem!

About as funny as when you put out that Craigslist ad recruiting frustrated armchair GM's to spew their unyielding, neverwrong, pessimistic opinions on established Texans message board, just to shake things up.

Hookem Horns
01-02-2014, 05:17 PM
i will dismiss this as a joke,,,you are infact joking................right ?

Yeah, making fun of the whole 2006 fiasco. So you don't think McNair asked O'Brien if he could fix Schaub?

Now I wonder wonder how many Manziel fanboys will go full retard (boycotting the Texans, etc) if the Texans pass on Manziel (ala VY fanboys)?

EllisUnit
01-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Yeah, making fun of the whole 2006 fiasco. So you don't think McNair asked O'Brien if he could fix Schaub?

Now I wonder wonder how many Manziel fanboys will go full retard (boycotting the Texans, etc) if the Texans pass on Manziel (ala VY fanboys)?

If we draft Manziel i will boycott the texans myself.....i dont feel like watching another future bust on our team. Let the browns draft him

Hookem Horns
01-02-2014, 05:21 PM
You're hilarious Hookem!

About as funny as when you put out that Craigslist ad recruiting frustrated armchair GM's to spew their unyielding, neverwrong, pessimistic opinions on established Texans message board, just to shake things up.

I don't think I can take credit for that one, unless my memory is worse than I thought it was.

michaelm
01-02-2014, 05:32 PM

All of them, I hope.

Playoffs
01-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Need to pass a few of these out...

http://www.theicarusproject.net/files/images/chill_pill.preview.jpg (http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=chill+pill)

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif

disaacks3
01-02-2014, 05:42 PM

Now I wonder wonder how many Manziel fanboys will go full retard (boycotting the Texans, etc) if the Texans pass on Manziel (ala VY fanboys)? Almost as bad as those VY fanboys that had a local businessman and Texans advertiser taking out full-page ads. :kitten:

I'm 100% certain that there is no pick that will satisfy even 65% of Texans fans this time around. Then again, I'm not sure even 35% knew who JJ Watt was when we picked him.

Hookem Horns
01-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Almost as bad as those VY fanboys that had a local businessman and Texans advertiser taking out full-page ads. :kitten:

I'm 100% certain that there is no pick that will satisfy even 65% of Texans fans this time around. Then again, I'm not sure even 35% knew who JJ Watt was when we picked him.

Lol, just imagine if the Jags draft him and Manziel fans start showing up to Reliant wearing Johnny Jags jerseys (ala VY fantards). It could happen.

DBCooper
01-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Lol, just imagine if the Jags draft him and Manziel fans start showing up to Reliant wearing Johnny Jags jerseys (ala VY fantards). It could happen.

Johnny Jags, now that's funny!

Hookem Horns
01-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Johnny Jags, now that's funny!

At #3 I think that is a very real possibility. The guy will sell tickets for sure and the Jags have no "face of the franchise" type player. Even though Bortles is from the Orlando area (maybe even a safer pick) I don't think he would bring in the same excitement as Manziel.

Sadly for JM and his fans his destination looks to be either the Jags or Browns.

So to get back on track with this thread, and to be serious (yes, I want Schaub gone) I am in the Teddy camp.

disaacks3
01-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Lol, just imagine if the Jags draft him and Manziel fans start showing up to Reliant wearing Johnny Jags jerseys (ala VY fantards). It could happen. Egads, don't remind me! Season ticket holder to my left in the Bull Pen showed up in a VY jersey. He didn't even have any UT connection.

:mariopalm:

EllisUnit
01-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Almost as bad as those VY fanboys that had a local businessman and Texans advertiser taking out full-page ads. :kitten:

I knew he was an ex pizza boy, and not gonna lie when i heard that i was like WTF. Then i saw his game highlights and i felt a little more at ease !

thunderkyss
01-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Egads, don't remind me! Season ticket holder to my left in the Bull Pen showed up in a VY jersey. He didn't even have any UT connection.

:mariopalm:

Wouldn't have been so bad if our team didn't let Vince pants us.

I'd have no problem if everyone in my section (609) were wearing JonnyFootball paraphernalia, if we're kicking that Jaguars' azz. Actually it would make the experience more enjoyable.

Thorn
01-02-2014, 08:13 PM
99 bortles of beer on the wall
99 bortles of beer
take one down, sack him around
98 bortles of beer on the wall