12-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Teddy

Ben Frank
12-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Bridgewater!!!!

#Ready4Teddy

Hervoyel
12-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Trade down. Teddy isn't the real thing and I don't trust Clowney to live up to his abilities. I see him shutting it down whenever he sees fit.

Trade down, get more picks, and stock up from a lower spot. This isn't the year to have the top pick I don't believe.

TheIronDuke
12-29-2013, 04:03 PM
After watching Bridgewater last night I'd have to go with him.

PockyAF
12-29-2013, 04:05 PM
is water wet?

Teddy duh

amazing80
12-29-2013, 04:08 PM
2 seasons in a row Teddy has dominated his bowl game......bring on the clutchness

bah007
12-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Trade down. Teddy isn't the real thing and I don't trust Clowney to live up to his abilities. I see him shutting it down whenever he sees fit.

Trade down, get more picks, and stock up from a lower spot. This isn't the year to have the top pick I don't believe.

I see this sentiment floating around from a few posters but with no further explanation. Do you mind if I ask why you think so?

Marcus
12-29-2013, 04:13 PM
2 seasons in a row Teddy has dominated his bowl game......bring on the clutchness

Wow! I just can't tell you how impressed I am watching Vince Young dominate his bowl game.

Trade that f'king pick down.

BigB0iFresh
12-29-2013, 04:14 PM
The only knock on Teddy I've heard is his size and his schedule.

amazing80
12-29-2013, 04:14 PM
I see this sentiment floating around from a few posters but with no further explanation. Do you mind if I ask why you think so?

I don't know his reasoning, BUT until about 2 weeks ago I was not sold on teddy at all either. I highly questioned his ability to ZIP the ball in tight spaces. He is accurate and smart with the ball, but when the window is tight or he throws a screen, he never seemed to dart them in. They always just hung in the air. But the more I watched (and even last night he was slinging it around) the more I saw he has the ability to zip the ball. I think he just needs a better qb coach who can mold his talent a little more.

dalemurphy
12-29-2013, 04:17 PM
I doubt any NFL GMs worth their salt know who they would take #1 right now. There is a lot of information to gather the next four months. As boardmembers, it may be healthier to let the process happen, at least through the combine, before asserting absolute certainty regarding who should/shouldn't be drafted at #$1... not saying we shouldn't have opinions. Right now, my board looks like this:

1. Aaron Donald
2. Teddy Bridgewater
3. Matthews

** I'd like to see a trade down. Otherwise, I think I am in favor of Bridgewater, but that is subject to change. I think Aaron Donald is a beast and, based on all the draftnik baffoons, is way undervalued right now. I would absolutely avoid Clowney anywhere in the top 10.

I'm thrilled to have the 1st pick! Whether there is a clear #1 or not, under this CBA, it is a great position to be in (top 5 contracts are no longer detrimental). We get anyone we want. That's good... And, we will certainly get offers for that pick- perhaps not at the value desired, but we will have options. Also, we have the 1st pick in every other round... that's also good news! Let's get a coach hired, a staff put together, and get this off-season moving! The best thing about a disastrous season like this is that it makes for an active, entertaining off-season. So, there is that!

texanchris
12-29-2013, 04:19 PM
give me clowney

dalemurphy
12-29-2013, 04:22 PM
The only knock on Teddy I've heard is his size and his schedule.

He is too small right now! However, that is not difficult to resolve in the NFL. He'll get the time, focus in the weight room that he likely spent in class and in film study in college. Also, it is not unusual for men to begin a natural "thickening"/muscle-building growth spurt between age 22-27...

Observe Tom Brady's combine body and the body he had 3 years later.

So, I agree that his size is an issue right now. I just don't think that it will be an issue three years from now.

Marcus
12-29-2013, 04:23 PM

Well, I know you were asking Herv that, and I'll let him speak for himself. But what I saw last night, was stuff he was getting away with that he wouldn't have going against an NFL defense.

He basically reminded me of Case Keenum. Sorry, he just did.

EDIT: And NO, I don't have an issue with his size. If I did, I would have issues with Brees and Wilson, or Keenum's for that matter.

bah007
12-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Well, I know you were asking Herv that, and I'll let him speak for himself. But what I saw last night, was stuff he was getting away with that he wouldn't have going against an NFL defense.

That's fine.

I'm not looking for an argument with anyone who doesn't like Teddy. Just trying to find out what exactly it is that they don't like.

I think he's the read deal. Reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. Size is a concern right now for most people though. He's very thin.

Hervoyel
12-29-2013, 04:34 PM

I can't even put my finger on it and I said it. I just don't see him being "franchise-QB-level" successful in the NFL. I've watched him some, not a lot but I go through his highlight clips on Youtube and I just don't see what makes him the guy you take at 1-1. I see a guy who lights up bad defenses in a very average conference.

I think he's closer to Andre Ware than Andrew Luck. To be fair I don't see greatness in any QB coming out this year. It's not that I don't think he can't eventually be maybe "good enough". I just don't see him taking the reigns and taking off like I would expect a QB selected that high to be capable of doing.

I've said I'd take Matthews at 1-1 but if that's simply too unpalatable then I'd grab Clowney, pray that he isn't the lazy ****-off piece of **** that the little voice inside my head is warning me that he will turn out to be, and then try to move into position to get Mettenberger in the late 1st - early 2nd round.

Better than that would be to me trading down, getting a QB and a RT in the second half of the first round/top of the second round, and then working on the defense primarily from then on down.

amazing80
12-29-2013, 04:39 PM
I can't even put my finger on it and I said it. I just don't see him being "franchise-QB-level" successful in the NFL. I've watched him some, not a lot but I go through his highlight clips on Youtube and I just don't see what makes him the guy you take at 1-1. I see a guy who lights up bad defenses in a very average conference.

I think he's closer to Andre Ware than Andrew Luck. To be fair I don't see greatness in any QB coming out this year. It's not that I don't think he can't eventually be maybe "good enough". I just don't see him taking the reigns and taking off like I would expect a QB selected that high to be capable of doing.

I've said I'd take Matthews at 1-1 but if that's simply too unpalatable then I'd grab Clowney, pray that he isn't the lazy ****-off piece of **** that the little voice inside my head is warning me that he will turn out to be, and then try to move into position to get Mettenberger in the late 1st - early 2nd round.

Better than that would be to me trading down, getting a QB and a RT in the second half of the first round/top of the second round, and then working on the defense primarily from then on down.

http://draftbreakdown.com/the-right-comparison-for-bridgewater/

What do you think of these clips?

Insideop
12-29-2013, 04:40 PM

EDIT: If I did, I would have issueAnd NO, I don't have an issue with his size.s with Brees and Wilson, or Keenum's for that matter.

What is the issue with his size? He's listed at 6'3" and I've seen his weight listed at between 205 lbs (NFLDraftScout) to 218 lbs (WalterFootball). Now I know those measurements are probably a little off, and we won't know the real ones until the Combine, but I don't think he's 6' and 190 lbs like some here seem to think he is.

Texan4Ever
12-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Trade down because there is no clear franchise quarterback, Clowney is overrated and lazy, and you don't draft a RT to be the #1 overall pick. Unless if Duane Brown can and is able to play RT and you draft Matthews to be your franchise LT.

Premier
12-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Teddy Touchdown.

Texian
12-29-2013, 04:46 PM
I think the first pick should be decided by putting Rick Smith and Bill O'Brien in the Octagon, Winner Take All!

b0ng
12-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Right now Teddy B, but ask again after the combine and pro days.

since02
12-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Trade down, go defense, and o-line
Try to make moves and go for a qb in free agency

BigBull
12-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Teddy Bridgewater all the way. I love his quick release.

Sent from the future...

mussop
12-29-2013, 05:05 PM
I doubt any NFL GMs worth their salt know who they would take #1 right now. There is a lot of information to gather the next four months. As boardmembers, it may be healthier to let the process happen, at least through the combine, before asserting absolute certainty regarding who should/shouldn't be drafted at #$1... not saying we shouldn't have opinions. Right now, my board looks like this:

1. Aaron Donald
2. Teddy Bridgewater
3. Matthews

** I'd like to see a trade down. Otherwise, I think I am in favor of Bridgewater, but that is subject to change. I think Aaron Donald is a beast and, based on all the draftnik baffoons, is way undervalued right now. I would absolutely avoid Clowney anywhere in the top 10.

I'm thrilled to have the 1st pick! Whether there is a clear #1 or not, under this CBA, it is a great position to be in (top 5 contracts are no longer detrimental). We get anyone we want. That's good... And, we will certainly get offers for that pick- perhaps not at the value desired, but we will have options. Also, we have the 1st pick in every other round... that's also good news! Let's get a coach hired, a staff put together, and get this off-season moving! The best thing about a disastrous season like this is that it makes for an active, entertaining off-season. So, there is that!

Are you suggesting we draft Donald number 1? I love Donald but there is no way he is worthy of the number one pick.

Marshall
12-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Are you suggesting we draft Donald number 1? I love Donald but there is no way he is worthy of the number one pick.

If the player you love is not highly regarded, trade down, pick up extra draft picks and then draft your guy. No need to reach. This also holds true if you don't have Your Guy and they look about the same.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
12-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Anyone remember Brian Brohm, Chris Redman or Dave Rangone, you know former Louisville QBs?

BigB0iFresh
12-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Anyone remember Brian Brohm, Chris Redman or Dave Rangone, you know former Louisville QBs?

Just because they all went to the same school doesnt mean Teddy will be a bust

mussop
12-29-2013, 05:16 PM
If the player you love is not highly regarded, trade down, pick up extra draft picks and then draft your guy. No need to reach. This also holds true if you don't have Your Guy and they look about the same.

That's not really logical.

Hervoyel
12-29-2013, 05:17 PM
http://draftbreakdown.com/the-right-comparison-for-bridgewater/

What do you think of these clips?

I think that 5 highlights don't say enough to really make a case one way or the other but I did note a few things.

In Aaron Rodgers "Pocket Navigation" clip he was under more pressure than Bridgewater. At the same time he threw a dart to a well covered receiver. Bridgewater threw a high-ish arcing pass over everyone to a wide open receiver for a TD which is much like what you see when cruising through his highlights. Not a ton of pressure most of the time and almost always a target available when he needs one.

Under Ball Placement I'd say they both led the receiver very well. This time Teddy's target was covered well and he put it where it needed to go.

Mobility is the same. He can run. Nice. So can everyone else at this level.

Vertical Passing he threw a nice ball. Again his receiver had beaten the defender and Teddy threw it what? 40 yards? This is stuff anyone getting drafted should be able to do. He also stared at him for three seconds before throwing. I thought Rodgers threw it deeper and better. He had two guys on that side to stare at so hard to say what's up but he put it up high where his guy could go get it. Teddy doesn't have a problem doing that though. His receivers are open so often. He won't have that luxury in the NFL. Not nearly as much as he does in college.

Velocity. Nice pass from Teddy. He got it down the field quick. In just about every other clip he put more air under the ball than Rodgers did in his corresponding highlight and he did so here too (though he threw a lot farther than Rodgers did in his velocity clip so that would account for at least some of that).

I'm just not sold. Sorry. I can find 5 clips of Case Keenum that would fit right in here.

JB
12-29-2013, 05:18 PM

Sounds very logical to me

Hervoyel
12-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Just because they all went to the same school doesnt mean Teddy will be a bust

That's true. Andre Ware, David Klingler, Jimmy Klingler, & Kevin Kolb could never have predicted the kind of breakout success that Case Keenum would have in the NFL.

I'm kidding of course but guys who tear up inferior competition tend to hit the reality wall in the NFL. Bridgewater isn't exactly killing weak sisters like any of these guys but he's doing most of what he's doing against teams that aren't giving him a fraction of the kind of trouble he'll see in the NFL.

AJ McCarron sees better defenses in his dreams than Bridgewater does on Saturdays and I'm not saying he'd be a better pick. I'm just saying that we're talking about a guy who didn't do well against UH's traditionally pitiful defense. They're improved this year but he should have been able to tear them up.

Marshall
12-29-2013, 05:22 PM

It's totally logical. If you have YOUR guy and he's highly regarded, then pick him. But otherwise reaching for a player before the market of GMs indicates you should is losing value. We don't have value to waste.

dalemurphy
12-29-2013, 05:40 PM

I think he's the best player in the draft. I don't know where he will be rated by the rest of the NFL GMs... particularly given we are still two months from the combine.

I suggest we draft Bridgewater.

Otherwise, the first name I want to hear following "the Texans select" is: Donald. I seriously doubt he will slip into round two. My guess is that Kiper and company will begin moving him up their boards in February and March, saying "Donald is rising", etc...

TEXANRED
12-29-2013, 05:44 PM
I want Manziel.

JB
12-29-2013, 06:05 PM
i was all in on the teddy bandwagon until i saw his cross dressing pictures. Just know that its not going to end well if you make a cross dresser your franchise qb.

Manziel i do like because the man has guts and playmaking skills that we have sorely lacked the seven years schaub was our qb.

Ill wait till the combine and woderlic scores come out.

Just know i have warned you about entrusting your franchise to a cross dresser. i dont remember any other franchise qb/superbowl winner who has that kind of baggage.

:lol:

NFL Adopts New Rules: Quarterbacks To Wear Dresses

link (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/144377-nfl-adopts-new-rules-quarterbacks-to-wear-dresses)

dalemurphy
12-29-2013, 06:09 PM
i was all in on the teddy bandwagon until i saw his cross dressing pictures. Just know that its not going to end well if you make a cross dresser your franchise qb.

Manziel i do like because the man has guts and playmaking skills that we have sorely lacked the seven years schaub was our qb.

Ill wait till the combine and woderlic scores come out.

Just know i have warned you about entrusting your franchise to a cross dresser. i dont remember any other franchise qb/superbowl winner who has that kind of baggage.

Are you joking?

Unless you know something I don't, you are referring to a one-time event when he dressed up for his gender studies class... Boy, I'll be sure not to invite you to my Halloween party!

LikeMike
12-29-2013, 06:10 PM
I donīt know much about college football, but I think this is Teddys spot to lose.

He seems to be the almost consensus pick as best QB prospect in the draft. Houston will draft a QB with either the first or the second pick, since they are in full "letīs turn this ship around and get new guys that get the job done" mode.

Teddy doesn`t seem to have any real weaknesses - a little smallish, not elite arm strength, but that`s about it. On the other hand he seems to be elite at reading defenses and with his accuracy whie being great at avoiding pressure.

The combine will be very important - if he can show coaches, that he has everything it takes to succeed in the NFL, I don`t think there is anything Clowney or Matthews could do to get the first pick. If he shows some concerning weaknesses I could see us going another direction.

But right now, it is Bridgewater, no question.

Thorn
12-29-2013, 06:13 PM
:lol:

NFL Adopts New Rules: Quarterbacks To Wear Dresses

link (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/144377-nfl-adopts-new-rules-quarterbacks-to-wear-dresses)

They should be wearing dresses, and refs should be in tuxedos. It makes sense the way they protect the QB these days.

MistaRed
12-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Bridgewater
Clowney
Barr
Trade down

Order of preference for me

Marshall
12-29-2013, 06:19 PM
I donīt know much about college football, but I think this is Teddys spot to lose.

He seems to be the almost consensus pick as best QB prospect in the draft. Houston will draft a QB with either the first or the second pick, since they are in full "letīs turn this ship around and get new guys that get the job done" mode.

Teddy doesn`t seem to have any real weaknesses - a little smallish, not elite arm strength, but that`s about it. On the other hand he seems to be elite at reading defenses and with his accuracy whie being great at avoiding pressure.

The combine will be very important - if he can show coaches, that he has everything it takes to succeed in the NFL, I don`t think there is anything Clowney or Matthews could do to get the first pick. If he shows some concerning weaknesses I could see us going another direction.

But right now, it is Bridgewater, no question.

This draft is deep, but the top players aren't locks. In this environment, tradings for additional picks would help this team more than the best of the non elite picks. You must compare this the prospects with both other prospects in this years class and also other classes to get the most. A plethora of second tier players makes numbers superior to the individual this season. Next year is going to be Top Heavy.

JCTexan
12-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Bridgewater
Clowney
Barr
Trade down

Order of preference for me

I would go with:

Bridgewater
Bortles
Trade Down

We need a franchise QB and we're in a position to take the best QB in the upcoming draft.. I think it's fair to ask if we should pass that up for the next Mario Williams?

TEXANRED
12-29-2013, 06:23 PM
This draft is deep, but the top players aren't locks. In this environment, tradings for additional picks would help this team more than the best of the non elite picks. You must compare this the prospects with both other prospects in this years class and also other classes to get the most. A plethora of second tier players makes numbers superior to the individual this season. Next year is going to be Top Heavy.

no draft picks are locks.

TEXANRED
12-29-2013, 06:24 PM
ok. just remember this moment when bridgewater is getting arrested on montrose for cocaine possession with a tranny and we have to go through another eventual search for a proper franchise qb this franchise has never had.

Just remember this moment.

Wow. Does the squad car he is riding in the back of lose control crashing into a bus full of Nuns?

MistaRed
12-29-2013, 06:28 PM
I would go with:

Bridgewater
Bortles
Trade Down

We need a franchise QB and we're in a position to take the best QB in the upcoming draft.. I think it's fair to ask if we should pass that up for the next Mario Williams?

I don't think you pass on a talent like Clowney for Bortles. He's underwhelming to me anyway.

Thorn
12-29-2013, 06:29 PM
no draft picks are locks.

Until they put on pads and play you don't know what you've got. And how many times have we all played the game of "we should have taken so and so" in the draft a few years ago?

You have to have a good QB to win in the NFL. I don't really want any of the veteran FAs available this year, so that means taking a chance in the draft. Whoever they pick, I hope it's the right choice. And I'm still not convinced that anyone is worth the absolute top 1.1 pick this year. But we may have to use the pick to get what we want anyway.

kingtexan
12-29-2013, 06:32 PM
Trade down or take Matthews.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
12-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Teddy Texan

Marshall
12-29-2013, 06:36 PM
I don't think you pass on a talent like Clowney for Bortles. He's underwhelming to me anyway.

You don't stretch for a less than elite player with the #1-1 pick. That's what you do 1-15+. Get the low risk player with the top draft choices. I still think Matthews is a MY GUY type of player. But there are enough teams stretching for QBs this year for him to fall to 5 or 6 and still get a very good QB prospect in round 2. We would likely pick up a high draft pick or 2 this year or possibly more in future years and still get OUR GUY. Being 1-1 doesn't make anybody elite. It just gives us the opportunity if there IS an elite prospect. I don't think there is one at QB, so trading down, (not too far though), is my top choice.

JCTexan
12-29-2013, 06:38 PM

Right now I would be pissed if the Texans took Clowney. This team has had elite level DE's in Watt and Williams and that didn't get them far in the playoffs. We've never had a true franchise caliber QB. Just the possibility of that has me wanting Bridgewater.

Trade down or take Matthews.

A RT at 1.1 would be worse than Clowney.

Teddy Texan

After his game against Miami I'm fully on board with this.

Bulls on Parade
12-29-2013, 06:38 PM
give me clowney
If we take Clowney number one overall - nice thought to help out J.J. Watt - then the 33rd overall pick (1st in round two) almost certainly has to be on the best quarterback available.

Thorn
12-29-2013, 06:45 PM
From what I've read so far, I'm not going to argue them taking Clowny, Matthews or a QB with 1.1, even though I don't think any of the three are worthy of it. But if we don't take them off the board, someone else will very quickly and then we won't have them.

dream_team
12-29-2013, 06:50 PM
For those of you saying no to Teddy, what's your answer for a QB next season? That's by far our biggest position of need.

OzzO
12-29-2013, 06:53 PM
For those of you saying no to Teddy, what's your answer for a QB next season? That's by far our biggest position of need.

depends on who you ask. It's been all over the boards.

- pick another QB 1-1
- pick other position then another QB at 2-1 (or trade back into first)
- grab a FA for a stop gap and get a QB in next year's draft

There's not a consensus and I don't think many, if any, are gonna be swayed from their decision

bah007
12-29-2013, 07:00 PM

I'd be careful with this line of thinking. Everybody was drooling over this QB class a year ago and now everyone is saying there is no QB worth the #1 pick.

I typically agree with trading down in the first round every year unless there is a guy you can't afford to pass on. Hoarding picks in future drafts is a good long term strategy because they come cheaper than picks in the current draft. But I'd be careful about banking on next year's draft being better when it's still a year and a half away.

Hervoyel
12-29-2013, 07:41 PM

I look for Mettenberger or another QB at 2-1 or try to move up to get him if I think he won't make it to the second round. I look for a veteran QB to sign and possibly play if Mettenberger isn't ready to go right out of the gate.

SchaubApologist
12-29-2013, 07:56 PM
I look for Mettenberger or another QB at 2-1 or try to move up to get him if I think he won't make it to the second round. I look for a veteran QB to sign and possibly play if Mettenberger isn't ready to go right out of the gate.

great plan!!

draft an immobile qb with a torn acl.

more like mettenschaub.

Seegara
12-29-2013, 08:07 PM
A QB, not necessarily Bridgewater. Do not trade down and lose the man you really need. A lot should be up to the new coach.

edwardc5637
12-29-2013, 08:08 PM
After watching the bowl game Bridgewater there will be outside rushers and ILB in the second round.

kingtexan
12-29-2013, 08:27 PM
A RT at 1.1 would be worse than Clowney.

People keep saying this, but what says he has to be the RT?

PapaL
12-29-2013, 08:33 PM

We could always start 2 LT huh? Or do you think he could beat the blitz and deliver a strike at the QB position?

JCTexan
12-29-2013, 08:33 PM

Probably because the Texans have a solid LT in Duane Brown?

dalemurphy
12-29-2013, 08:37 PM

For me, the question is: why would a great RT be worse than drafting a mediocre or bad DE?... I'm not predicting either will be the case, but I disagree with the idea that we should avoid a great player with 1.1 simply because he plays a position that is not often selected with the first pick. Who cares? Other than K, P, FB, Any position should be within the scope of consideration. By the way, RT is pretty darn important.

JCTexan
12-29-2013, 08:40 PM
For me, the question is: why would a great RT be worse than drafting a mediocre or bad DE?... I'm not predicting either will be the case, but I disagree with the idea that we should avoid a great player with 1.1 simply because he plays a position that is not often selected with the first pick. Who cares? Other than K, P, FB, Any position should be within the scope of consideration. By the way, RT is pretty darn important.

We could get a solid RT at 2.1 and still be able to take the best QB in this draft at 1.1. That is why I'm not wanting Matthews 1st overall.

bah007
12-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Matthews is also not the best player in the draft. He might be the safest pick. Low risk, low reward. He is overrated here due to his family and where he is from.

So "reaching" for a QB is not okay but "reaching" for a RT is?

dalemurphy
12-29-2013, 08:45 PM
We could get a solid RT at 2.1 and still be able to take the best QB in this draft at 1.1. That is why I'm not wanting Matthews 1st overall.

Perhaps... but if Matthews is clearly the best player on the board and is markedly better than whatever RT would be likely at 2.1, I think he should be strongly considered... It isn't what I want, but I do reject the idea that a player expected to start immediately at RT shouldn't be considered with the pick... This thinking is influenced by the previous CBA, when the pick was going to make over $50million and a team simply couldn't justify that much of the cap going to the RT position... However, a contract around $25 million at RT is perfectly reasonable.

Hervoyel
12-29-2013, 09:26 PM
great plan!!

more like mettenschaub.

Right. We all know that no one who tore their ACL ever walked or ran again.

Hey! I got a better idea! Lets draft the stick-man out of Louisville and then he can tear everything up like RGIII did in his first year in the pros! RGIII is immobile now too right?

Someday, when they finally solve the mystery of repairing ACL injuries maybe we won't have to put NFL players down anymore and they can return to compete again. It's a dream I have.

PapaL
12-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Unless we're racing horses, I don't care who his daddy is. Pedigree doesn't mean squat in the NFL.

Some of y'all get so caught up in "local" players that you miss the big picture. Just like Case was hyped up to be the savior at QB, Matthews is being hyped up to be the savior. Hell he might not even be the best tackle in the draft.

kingtexan
12-29-2013, 09:28 PM
We could always start 2 LT huh?

No, but if he is better or just as good we can move DB and probably extend his career a few years by doing so.

kingtexan
12-29-2013, 09:29 PM
simply because he plays a position that is not often selected with the first pick.

He actually would play wherever we wanted him to. He played both in college.

chicagotexan2
12-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Unless one these guys blows the texans away I say trade down.

Hervoyel
12-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Unless we're racing horses, I don't care who his daddy is. Pedigree doesn't mean squat in the NFL.

Some of y'all get so caught up in "local" players that you miss the big picture. Just like Case was hyped up to be the savior at QB, Matthews is being hyped up to be the savior. Hell he might not even be the best tackle in the draft.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/record_playing_zps8688b134.gif

Nawzer
12-29-2013, 10:09 PM
With a new coach coming in, he'll very likely want to build the team with a fresh new QB. I'm not attached to any one in particular but I know it has to be a QB. This is the most important position in all of sports imo and it's really a no brainer. Even if it doesn't work out, you have to take the risk because of the potential rewards.

bOODRO87
12-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Right. We all know that no one who tore their ACL ever walked or ran again.

Hey! I got a better idea! Lets draft the stick-man out of Louisville and then he can tear everything up like RGIII did in his first year in the pros! RGIII is immobile now too right?

Someday, when they finally solve the mystery of repairing ACL injuries maybe we won't have to put NFL players down anymore and they can return to compete again. It's a dream I have.

Yeah, because having trouble putting on weight after having mouth surgery can't be fixed in the pros... And why are you comparing RG3 to Teddy? You guys are reaching now. Better get used to the idea of Houston drafting him. It's at least a 50/50 chance.

kingtexan
12-29-2013, 10:21 PM
With a new coach coming in, he'll very likely want to build the team with a fresh new QB. I'm not attached to any one in particular but I know it has to be a QB. This is the most important position in all of sports imo and it's really a no brainer. Even if it doesn't work out, you have to take the risk because of the potential rewards.

I agree we MUST draft a QB, but there aren't any that justify the #1 slot.

bOODRO87
12-29-2013, 10:30 PM

Says who? We need a QB. We have a chance to take the best one. I swear it seems like some of you guys want to see the same old Texans. More FGs than TDs and praying your defense doesn't allow a TD.

Nawzer
12-29-2013, 10:34 PM

That's your opinion which you are entitled to. I believe there might be 2 or 3 guys who will emerge as the potential no 1 pick and if you're the Texans you pull the trigger and go with it. Also, I don't think there's anyone else worthy of the overall pick. Clowney seems to have issues and I don't think you draft a RT with the top pick. If you can trade down and still get the best QB in the draft, that might be a reasonable option but they better make sure that their guy will be available.

beerlover
12-29-2013, 10:52 PM
in a little more detail:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24391149/nfl-draft-texans-to-pick-first-rams-get-second-pick

steelbtexan
12-29-2013, 11:19 PM
great plan!!

more like mettenschaub.

Have you ever seen Mettenberger play?

He has a slightly better arm than Schaub. LOL

Carry on with your TB lovefest.

steelbtexan
12-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Brett Smith is a QB that I really like in this draft.

BigBull
12-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Have you ever seen Mettenberger play?

He has a slightly better arm than Schaub. LOL

Carry on with your TB lovefest.

I've seen him play enough to know I never want to see him in a Texans uniform.

Sent from the future...

mussop
12-29-2013, 11:33 PM

It's not logical because If you trade down there is no guarantee he will be there. If you LOVE a player when it's your pick take him.

TEXANRED
12-29-2013, 11:37 PM

Why? Explain. I keep hearing this but nobody ever explains why there are no QB's worthy of the number 1 pick.

Should the draft just skip the first pick altogether and start at #2? Anybody worthy of the 2nd pick, or should we skip down further and start at 10?

Marcus
12-30-2013, 12:16 AM
Why? Explain. I keep hearing this but nobody ever explains why there are no QB's worthy of the number 1 pick.

Why? Because QB does NOT and should NOT take priority over BPA. And QB, no matter who this year, is NOT the BPA.

JCTexan
12-30-2013, 12:26 AM
Why? Because QB does NOT and should NOT take priority over BPA. And QB, no matter who this year, is NOT the BPA.

Ok, let's say Bridgewater is seen as a franchise QB that has drawn comparisons to Aaron Rodgers (which he has), but he's the #3 BPA and Clowney is #1. Do you bypass the franchise QB for the top DE? We've had two elite level DE's on this team since 2006 (Mario & Watt) and neither have led this team far into the playoffs. We have never had a true franchise QB and they are what lead teams deep in the playoffs...

Texian
12-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Ok, let's say Bridgewater is seen as a franchise QB that has drawn comparisons to Aaron Rodgers (which he has), but he's the #3 BPA and Clowney is #1. Do you bypass the franchise QB for the top DE? We've had two elite level DE's on this team since 2006 (Mario & Watt) and neither have led this team far into the playoffs. We have never had a true franchise QB and they are what lead teams deep in the playoffs...

First thing you need to do is find out who is comparing Teddy to Aaron Rodgers and why?

beerlover
12-30-2013, 12:41 AM

I think it will become a lot clearer when Texans select a Head Coach. Clean slate, chance to wipe the board fresh. Right now it is apparent that beauty in in the eye of the beholder, meaning everyone has their own opinion so who is to say who is right or wrong? So new coach first, then underclassman deadline, all star bowl games (always like to see prospects compete) combine then free agency. In about four months from now teams will have pretty much finalized their respective big boards & ready for day one, which is really when the **** hits the fan, trades & movement in draft order. Just remember one thing-
ask yourself, is he Texan worthy?

:wesmantexanfan:

BigBull
12-30-2013, 12:44 AM

My sentiments exactly. Bridgewater is the only qb in this draft that has a chance to be a franchise qb in my opinion. I know others think he isn't, but I believe he is. Being a Texans fan since the beginning I'm tired of average to way below average qb play.

Sent from the future...

steelbtexan
12-30-2013, 01:00 AM
My sentiments exactly. Bridgewater is the only qb in this draft that has a chance to be a franchise qb in my opinion. I know others think he isn't, but I believe he is. Being a Texans fan since the beginning I'm tired of average to way below average qb play.

Sent from the future...

Being a Texans fan from the begining, I want the Trenches fixed for 1st time since the teams inception. It's simple fix the trenches then get your QB. Wasn't anything learned in the Carr debacle?

By trenches I mean the DL too. The difference is that You think Teddy is the savior. I dont, we will see who's right. I do think Teddy will have an Andy Dalton type career.

dream_team
12-30-2013, 01:15 AM
Being a Texans fan from the begining, I want the Trenches fixed for 1st time since the teams inception. It's simple fix the trenches then get your QB. Wasn't anything learned in the Carr debacle?

By trenches I mean the DL too. The difference is that You think Teddy is the savior. I dont, we will see who's right. I do think Teddy will have an Andy Dalton type career.

1st time? I thought we were very good in the trenches in 2011 & 2012.

steelbtexan
12-30-2013, 01:19 AM

We have different definitions of good/great.

JCTexan
12-30-2013, 01:19 AM

And with J.J. Watt and Duane Brown the Texans can be very good in the trenches if they can shore up the RT position in the 2nd or 3rd round..

dream_team
12-30-2013, 01:20 AM

If you don't have a decent QB on the roster, then I say it does take priority over BPA. A good QB can mask a lot of deficiencies on the team (see Brady).

Marcus
12-30-2013, 01:48 AM
If you don't have a decent QB on the roster, then I say it does take priority over BPA. A good QB can mask a lot of deficiencies on the team (see Brady).

Not with the top pick, though. If you don't believe there is franchise QB in this year's draft, then why should QB take priority?

Tom Brady?? Really? Let's see now. What round was he drafted in again?

JCTexan
12-30-2013, 01:51 AM
Not with the top pick, though. If you don't believe there is franchise QB in this year's draft, then why should QB take priority?

But if you think someone is a franchise QB (Bridgewater/Bortles), then why hesitate to take them at 1.1?

Dutchrudder
12-30-2013, 01:58 AM
But if you think someone is a franchise QB (Bridgewater/Bortles), then why hesitate to take them at 1.1?

Because some guy on the internet says Cleveland will give up 3 1sts for the 1.1 pick! Think of all the other holes we could fill with that!

Marcus
12-30-2013, 02:30 AM

And there it is . . .

If you think someone is a franchise QB, then you take at 1.1. And if you don't, you don't.

And I don't, so I won't.

Didn't you just love riding the merry-go-round when you were a kid? Because that's exactly what this is. A big merry-to-round. Round and round and round we go.

Weeeeeeee!!!!:truck:

MistaRed
12-30-2013, 02:31 AM
Please stop with the Tom Brady draft arguement. Can you possibly find elite talent in the lower round? Yes but it's not likely. Like other posters have mentioned, with the first pick you draft the guy you have rated highest. If it just so happens to be a position of need you kill 2 birds with one stone.

JCTexan
12-30-2013, 03:36 AM
And there it is . . .

If you think someone is a franchise QB, then you take at 1.1. And if you don't, you don't.

And I don't, so I won't.

Didn't you just love riding the merry-go-round when you were a kid? Because that's exactly what this is. A big merry-to-round. Round and round and round we go.

Weeeeeeee!!!!:truck:

lol so we're agreed then. If I thought there was only one franchise QB in this upcoming draft I wouldn't hesitate to select him #1 overall. I wouldn't care if it was Bridgewater, Bortles or Mettenberger.

leebigeztx
12-30-2013, 03:46 AM
As I per through the playoffs via afc, I'm trying to find a great trench team. The best trench team in the afc is probably cincy. Of the 6, luck,manning,smith,and rivers were drafted in the top 4.

disaacks3
12-30-2013, 08:20 AM

Who is then? Clowney? Matthews?

What do you do when the BPA isn't worth a 1-1?

Hopefully, the answer is trade back.

Blake
12-30-2013, 08:24 AM
It's not logical because If you trade down there is no guarantee he will be there. If you LOVE a player when it's your pick take him.

^ This.

All you trade down folks need to stop using it as a crutch. Pick your guy and explain why you want him.

I swear sometimes I think people around here would be happy if we came out of the draft with a ton of draft picks and no players.

steelbtexan
12-30-2013, 08:29 AM
^ This.

All you trade down folks need to stop using it as a crutch. Pick your guy and explain why you want him.

I swear sometimes I think people around here would be happy if we came out of the draft with a ton of draft picks and no players.

Clowney- Generational type talent

Blake
12-30-2013, 08:33 AM

Fine. Can I hear your plan on who to play QB in 2014?

FirstTexansFan
12-30-2013, 09:19 AM
I can explain why I prefer trade down. First, I don't believe the talking heads on these QB's. We've seen what happens when we draft a QB with no offensive line. Second, that pick is worth at least three picks, we need depth. My solution for QB, take a veteran free agent, and draft one of these younger QB's to sit behind him for at least a year. Use those other picks to build a solid OL and supporting cast. I'll give it to you guys that want to expend the pick on the BPA. But we'll not know if it's worth it until after the combine. In the meantime? It's my opinion versus yours... Old Man Dementia trumps your youth! /insert Thorn's "Kiss My Ass!" :)

Blake
12-30-2013, 09:28 AM
I can explain why I prefer trade down. First, I don't believe the talking heads on these QB's. We've seen what happens when we draft a QB with no offensive line. Second, that pick is worth at least three picks, we need depth. My solution for QB, take a veteran free agent, and draft one of these younger QB's to sit behind him for at least a year. Use those other picks to build a solid OL and supporting cast. I'll give it to you guys that want to expend the pick on the BPA. But we'll not know if it's worth it until after the combine. In the meantime? It's my opinion versus yours... Old Man Dementia trumps your youth! /insert Thorn's "Kiss My Ass!" :)

Lol - hard to argue with that.

I do however disagree that we have no offensive line. We have an established OL with the 2 most important pieces. Center (makes calls) and left tackle (protects blindside). I am also a big fan of Brandon Brooks. I think LG and RT could be upgraded. Also we have Brennan Williams who might be able to solidify the right side.

Basically I am suggesting we have the pieces in place to protect our investment at QB.

TEXANRED
12-30-2013, 09:31 AM

So who in your opinion is the BPA?

FirstTexansFan
12-30-2013, 09:31 AM
I hope your right Blake... ain't it fun to theorize? I love Texans Talk, we can all be GM's everyday :)

Exascor
12-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Lol - hard to argue with that.

I do however disagree that we have no offensive line. We have an established OL with the 2 most important pieces. Center (makes calls) and left tackle (protects blindside). I am also a big fan of Brandon Brooks. I think LG and RT could be upgraded. Also we have Brennan Williams who might be able to solidify the right side.

Basically I am suggesting we have the pieces in place to protect our investment at QB.

This is my take as well. Some people are comparing the 2013 oline to 2002. They aren't even close. You could keep the same 5/6 players, add a healthy Foster and this line would be fine for a new QB. Does RT and maybe LG need an upgrade? Of course. As much as QB? No way.

Put Manning behind this line and Schaub behind Denver's. Which oline would look better now?

thunderkyss
12-30-2013, 10:36 AM

But Bridgewater is not Brady. He's not Rogers. It is possible that he may one day belong in the same conversation as those guys, but it's just as likely that Boyd will, or Bortles, or Manziel (if he comes out), or Mettenberger. I don't know what the draftniks see that set Bridgewater apart, but so far, I'm not convinced he is any more likely to become that guy than any of the others I've mentioned.

This is my take as well. Some people are comparing the 2013 oline to 2002. They aren't even close. You could keep the same 5/6 players, add a healthy Foster and this line would be fine for a new QB. Does RT and maybe LG need an upgrade? Of course. As much as QB? No way.

Put Manning behind this line and Schaub behind Denver's. Which oline would look better now?

I agree, but Bridgewater isn't Manning. Last year I wanted a stud OT, either from the first or the second round. IMO, he'd have done for our offense what Watt (another player we didn't "need") did for our defense.

If we go to a 4-3 I'm fine with the thinking that either Brooks or Merci will find the success their college careers suggested they'd have. If we stay in the 3-4, I'd rather do like San Francisco did, pass on Jake Locker, draft Aldon Smith, then Colin Kaepernick. Or like Seattle did & draft Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, & Russell Wilson.

Either would help this team win with less than elite QBs like Cutler, Flynn, Freeman, Foles, Daniels, maybe even Keenum... & still draft Mettenberger, Bortles, or Boyd.

If you're convinced Bridgewater will be the next Peyton Manning, I understand. But we're much closer, imo, to building an elite defense, or elite offensive line.

& if Taylor Lewan, Denard Robinson, or Jake Matthews is our pick I don't see it as drafting a RT. Eric Fisher is not a RT. We're Taking the best OL in the draft, making our OL elite. Sure, we've got Brown, but we can play two tackles & though not likely, what if this kid is better than Brown? How is that bad for the Texans?

I want receivers that are better than Andre, a Center that is better Myers, LBs better than Cushing, Corners better than Jjo. If those guys become #2s on the Texans depth chart, how does that hurt us?

beerlover
12-30-2013, 10:38 AM

Clowney is not Texan worthy!

He needs to slow his roll off-field, post haste. Mario had quite the exotic speed racer collection but don't remember him drawing this type of attention from the popo's :toropalm:

TEXANRED
12-30-2013, 10:55 AM

He needs to slow his roll off-field, post haste. Mario had quite the exotic speed racer collection but don't remember him drawing this type of attention from the popo's :toropalm:

I am not a fan of Clowney either. He appears to be a poor man's Mario Williams.

Exascor
12-30-2013, 10:58 AM
But Bridgewater is not Brady. He's not Rogers. It is possible that he may one day belong in the same conversation as those guys, but it's just as likely that Boyd will, or Bortles, or Manziel (if he comes out), or Mettenberger. I don't know what the draftniks see that set Bridgewater apart, but so far, I'm not convinced he is any more likely to become that guy than any of the others I've mentioned.

I agree, but Bridgewater isn't Manning. Last year I wanted a stud OT, either from the first or the second round. IMO, he'd have done for our offense what Watt (another player we didn't "need") did for our defense.

If we go to a 4-3 I'm fine with the thinking that either Brooks or Merci will find the success their college careers suggested they'd have. If we stay in the 3-4, I'd rather do like San Francisco did, pass on Jake Locker, draft Aldon Smith, then Colin Kaepernick. Or like Seattle did & draft Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, & Russell Wilson.

Either would help this team win with less than elite QBs like Cutler, Flynn, Freeman, Foles, Daniels, maybe even Keenum... & still draft Mettenberger, Bortles, or Boyd.

If you're convinced Bridgewater will be the next Peyton Manning, I understand. But we're much closer, imo, to building an elite defense, or elite offensive line.

& if Taylor Lewan, Denard Robinson, or Jake Matthews is our pick I don't see it as drafting a RT. Eric Fisher is not a RT. We're Taking the best OL in the draft, making our OL elite. Sure, we've got Brown, but we can play two tackles & though not likely, what if this kid is better than Brown? How is that bad for the Texans?

I want receivers that are better than Andre, a Center that is better Myers, LBs better than Cushing, Corners better than Jjo. If those guys become #2s on the Texans depth chart, how does that hurt us?
My point is - a great offensive line can't make a decent QB look great. A great QB can make a decent offensive line look great.

I'm not sold on anyone in the draft. It's too early. The odds of finding a good QB goes down after each QB is picked. If the team grades one QB much higher than the rest AND grades him within the top 5 or so players, you take him with the 1st pick.

drs23
12-30-2013, 11:15 AM

That's because Mario always made sure the cars he bought for them couldn't catch whatever he chose to fly that day. :kitten:

infantrycak
12-30-2013, 11:18 AM
That's because Mario always made sure the cars he bought for them couldn't catch whatever he chose to fly that day. :kitten:

Was Mario involved in anything pre-draft? I only recall one incident after being drafted which didn't involve the police.

TexanBacker93
12-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Cleveland has the #5 and Indy's pick (mid 20s). Trading the #1 for those 2 would allow the Texans to fill to key needs in the 1st round and we're still set up with the 1st pick in the 2nd round. 3 of the top 33 is much better than the top guy and #33. Unless that top guy is hands down a John Elway, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck guy. I like Bridgewater more than the QBs on our roster, but I don't think he's in the same category as those guys.

drs23
12-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Was Mario involved in anything pre-draft? I only recall one incident after being drafted which didn't involve the police.

Nothing of substance there. Just attempting to poke a little humor about Mario buying HPD several loaded Hi-PO squad cars an a couple of different occasions.

thunderkyss
12-30-2013, 12:37 PM
My point is - a great offensive line can't make a decent QB look great. A great QB can make a decent offensive line look great.

I'm not sold on anyone in the draft. It's too early. The odds of finding a good QB goes down after each QB is picked. If the team grades one QB much higher than the rest AND grades him within the top 5 or so players, you take him with the 1st pick.

I agree entirely..... I just don't believe Bridgewater is that guy. Maybe the Texans do. We'll see.