PDA

View Full Version : AJ and WATT Named to Pro Bowl

CloakNNNdagger
12-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Texans T Duane Brown, CB Johnathan Joseph and C Chris Myers were named as alternates for the AFC squad.

The 2014 Pro Bowl teams will be determined through the Pro Bowl Draft held on Wednesday, January 22. Pro Football Hall of Famers Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders will serve as alumni captains, choosing the two rosters.link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Andre-Johnson-JJ-Watt-make-Pro-Bowl/f346a1da-cc9e-477f-a875-57428f7c2ded)

TexansSeminole
12-27-2013, 10:08 PM
That's great for AJ and Watt, but in all honesty Brown and Joseph don't deserve to be even mentioned for the Pro Bowl this year.

dream_team
12-28-2013, 12:20 AM
That's great for AJ and Watt, but in all honesty Brown and Joseph don't deserve to be even mentioned for the Pro Bowl this year.

Brown & Joseph had down years, but I don't see it as a stretch being alternates. Chris Myers on the other hand...

TheMatrix31
12-28-2013, 12:30 AM
No, Brown and Joseph weren't very good at all this year. Especially Brown, who I'd describe as being ****ing awful

disaacks3
12-28-2013, 01:33 AM
Brown & Joseph had down years, but I don't see it as a stretch being alternates. Chris Myers on the other hand...

One of the best Centers in the league? PFF puts him on their list and his ratings over the year support it.

welsh texan
12-28-2013, 05:10 AM
No, Brown and Joseph weren't very good at all this year. Especially Brown, who I'd describe as being ****ing awful

Brown is another player whom this coaching staff has mishandled with injuries.

Can't really blame him when he was rushed through, especially considering their excuse for using Newton over Harris at RT was that they wanted injury cover for the LT position from their swing tackle.

You also can't discount that we've been letting developed TEs walk for several years now and the LG position has been in decline fly 2 or 3 years next to him.

All in all, I'd say it wasn't a recipe for success but the silver lining, if we accept those points, is that by putting better players around him and handling any injuries to him correctly in future we can hope that he's back to his best next season.

TejasTom
12-28-2013, 08:18 AM
One of the best Centers in the league? PFF puts him on their list and his ratings over the year support it.

And here's the link to the PFF Pro Bowl Team: Link (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/24/pff-pro-bowl-team-2014/)

kingtexan
12-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Our offensive and defensive stalwarts get recognized again. They deserve it.

Congratulations AJ and JJ for being what this team needs at every other position.

True professionals ...

Playoffs
12-28-2013, 09:55 AM
AJ, Watt, Myers, Lechler all deserving. Nobody else should be on that squad.

Best rookie: DeAndre Hopkins. With the league's 2nd lowest WR drop rate behind Larry Fitzgerald, Nuk was clearly our best rookie. Better QB play will show us what else he can do.

Most improved: Brandon Brooks. Brooks will end 2013 top 5 in run blocking by Guards. He needs to focus on his pass blocking now, to get Pro Bowl mentions.

Nobody will put him there, but JJ Watt should be in the mix for DPOY again. His 2012 season shattered all PFF (http://www.profootballfocus.com) records as the first player at any position to garner a cumulative season overall rating of over 100 (+101.6). JJ is at +103 this season with one game to play. The next highest graded player in his position group is 63% lower. Outstanding effort, again. :clap:

Texan4Ever
12-28-2013, 12:38 PM

The Pro Bowl tends to favor those players the media mentions over and over again and leaves out players who truly broke out and made an impact at their position (e.g. Jurrell Casey, Oliver Vernon, Evan Mathis ~ Gets overlooked every year despite being the best OG in the NFL IMO). I'm more interested in seeing what the All-Pro team selection looks like.

Playoffs
12-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Here’s a by-division breakdown of Pro Bowl representation: (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/27/afc-south-sending-just-four-pro-bowl-representatives/)
NFC West: 19 players — San Francisco (8), Seattle (6), Arizona (3), St. Louis (2).

AFC West: 16 players — Kansas City (8), Denver (5), San Diego (2), Oakland (1).

AFC North: 13 players — Cleveland (5), Baltimore (4), Cincinnati (2), Pittsburgh (2).

NFC North: 12 players — Carolina (5), New Orleans (5), Tampa Bay (2), Atlanta (0).

AFC East: 11 players — Miami (4), New England (4), Buffalo (3), N.Y. Jets (0).

NFC East: 5 players — Dallas (2), Philadelphia (2), Washington (1), N.Y. Giants (0).

NFC North: 5 players — Chicago (2), Detroit (2), Minnesota (1), Green Bay (0).

AFC South: 4 players — Houston (2), Indianapolis (1), Tennessee (1), Jacksonville (0).

Marshall
12-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Here’s a by-division breakdown of Pro Bowl representation: (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/27/afc-south-sending-just-four-pro-bowl-representatives/)

Funny how some say only Watt and AJ and others also show Meyers and Lechler as well.

Norg
12-28-2013, 11:27 PM
I don't see how any players on a 2-14 team should be pro bowlers

im sure there are other players more deserving then any of ours

Surreal McCoy
12-29-2013, 06:42 AM
link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Andre-Johnson-JJ-Watt-make-Pro-Bowl/f346a1da-cc9e-477f-a875-57428f7c2ded)

Good. At least we can finally, hopefully, put to bed all the, '...but this roster is stacked with Pro Bowl talent' guff.

Gotta Know
12-29-2013, 10:47 AM
I don't see how any players on a 2-14 team should be pro bowlers

im sure there are other players more deserving then any of ours

All the more reason for good/great players to stay far away from the TEXANS.

Even some supposed fans can't recognize the talent of these two individuals. Downplaying their skills and dedication because they happen to play for a dysfunctional organization. It's not their fault they were drafted here. Both are doing their best in a team game to help that team win.

How sad that JJ is stuck for at least the next two years. Even sadder is how AJ has wasted his career. Yes he has made money but would he not have made money playing for a winner?

Think of the extra money he'd have made playing for a decent team in a decent market. He would have been a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame. As of now, he should still make it, but some doubt remains.

Houston, where even the best players are dragged under as the ship sinks.

Yup, if I was a player, Houston would be my choice to spend my short NFL career. (NOT)

JB
12-29-2013, 10:56 AM
All the more reason for good/great players to stay far away from the TEXANS.

Even some supposed fans can't recognize the talent of these two individuals. Downplaying their skills and dedication because they happen to play for a dysfunctional organization. It's not their fault they were drafted here. Both are doing their best in a team game to help that team win.

How sad that JJ is stuck for at least the next two years. Even sadder is how AJ has wasted his career. Yes he has made money but would he not have made money playing for a winner?

Think of the extra money he'd have made playing for a decent team in a decent market. He would have been a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame. As of now, he should still make it, but some doubt remains.

Houston, where even the best players are dragged under as the ship sinks.

Yup, if I was a player, Houston would be my choice to spend my short NFL career. (NOT)

Bah Humbug!

Gotta Know
12-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Bah Humbug!

Really?

I'd like to know what Houston has to offer that a winning team wouldn't.

Early Sunday games with little national exposure, CHECK
Humiliating losses when playing in prime time, CHECK
Fans who turn on their best players, CHECK
History of mediocrity, CHECK
Could go on but why bother

At least a good/great player gets paid millions. (wait, hmmm: wouldn't it be much better to make millions on a winning team?)

Yup, Bah Humbug

JB
12-29-2013, 11:33 AM
Really?

At least a good/great player gets paid millions. (wait, hmmm: wouldn't it be much better to make millions on a winning team?)

Yup, Bah Humbug

So go follow a different team if you think it's so bad in Houston

htownfan32
12-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Really?

Yup, Bah Humbug

Why are you a Texans fan again?

Austrian
12-29-2013, 12:04 PM
edit. wrong thread. Sorry mods.

Gotta Know
12-29-2013, 12:12 PM
So go follow a different team if you think it's so bad in Houston

Wish I could, but fate is driving the bus for now.

Playoffs
12-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Nobody will put him there, but JJ Watt should be in the mix for DPOY again. His 2012 season shattered all PFF (http://www.profootballfocus.com) records as the first player at any position to garner a cumulative season overall rating of over 100 (+101.6). JJ is at +103 this season with one game to play. The next highest graded player in his position group is 63% lower. Outstanding effort, again. :clap:

Watt finished 2014 setting another PFF (http://www.profootballfocus.com/) record for highest cumulative rating points...

Ratings
# Name Team Snaps Overall Rush Cov. Run Pen. #ofPen QB Sk QB Ht QB Hu BP Tks Ass MT St
1 J.J. Watt HST 998 112.6 54.1 1.0 58.0 -0.5 5-2 11 35 38 6 65 8 7 67

The Pencil Neck
12-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Watt finished 2014 setting another PFF (http://www.profootballfocus.com/) record for highest cumulative rating points...

Ratings
# Name Team Snaps Overall Rush Cov. Run Pen. #ofPen QB Sk QB Ht QB Hu BP Tks Ass MT St
1 J.J. Watt HST 998 112.6 54.1 1.0 58.0 -0.5 5-2 11 35 38 6 65 8 7 67

Well. That looks good for next year. How'd he do in 2013?

:kitten:

Yesterday
12-31-2013, 01:51 PM
good. AJ and JJ were the only true Houston Texans this year.

HOU-TEX
01-10-2014, 03:47 PM
DB's been added to the Pro Bowl. He'll replace Jason Peters. Congrats big guy

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 7m
Texans left tackle Duane Brown added to Pro Bowl roster.

TheMatrix31
01-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Pretty ridiculous. He was terrendous this year.

HOU-TEX
01-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Hmm, wonder if AJ cancelled for health reasons or just decided not to go?

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 14m
DeSean Jackson added to Pro Bowl roster, replaces Andre Johnson

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 16m
#Eagles WR DeSean Jackson has been officially added to the Pro Bowl. He is replacing #Texans WR Andre Johnson.

Errant Hothy
01-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Pretty ridiculous. He was terrendous this year.

Um...what does terrendous mean? I'm assuming it's a possible blend of terrible and horrendous...maybe...I think?

disaacks3
01-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Um...what does terrendous mean? I'm assuming it's a possible blend of terrible and horrendous...maybe...I think? That was my guess. :handshake:

Bulls on Parade
01-17-2014, 12:27 PM
Did Shane Lechler ever get an invite? He was very deserving.

HOU-TEX
01-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Welp

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 23m
Andre Johnson's uncle, Andre Melton, says his nephew played w/hurt wrist 4 final 4 games,essentially playing w/1 hand but didn't tell anyone

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 30m
Andre Johnson will not play in Pro Bowl because of wrist injury that's healing according 2his uncle, Andre Melton. Surgery was not necessary

JCTexan
01-17-2014, 05:55 PM
J.J. Watt has been named one of the team captains:

The active player captains for the 2014 Pro Bowl will be QB DREW BREES, RB JAMAAL CHARLES, DE ROBERT QUINN and DE J.J. WATT, the NFL announced today. Brees and Quinn will be paired together, while Watt and Charles will work as a duo.

These four captains, which are comprised of the top two leading vote getters on offense and defense from the teams that did not advance to the Conference Championship round, will help determine rosters for Team Rice and Team Sanders during the first-ever Pro Bowl Draft on January 21-22.
Link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/JJ-Watt-named-a-Pro-Bowl-captain/80d34002-e5cb-4afe-a1d8-29d2d618f891)

thunderkyss
01-26-2014, 06:54 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Be4gCJNCAAAhgnZ.jpg

MasterCush
01-27-2014, 01:14 AM
Watt sure kicked a$$ tonight in the Pro Bowl. At least 1 sack and 1 deflection that I could see, but he also got pressure a ton of times. I know it's Pro Bowl but he really shined and it seemed like they were actually playing this year as opposed to other years where everyone boo'd. Can't believe he didn't get MVP.

Loved the streaker after that one TD too.

kiwitexansfan
01-27-2014, 01:40 AM
Cool surfboard celebration too...

Norg
01-27-2014, 01:46 AM
how did Watt look like playing DE and with Mario also on DE ...???? I didn't see the game

TexansSeminole
01-27-2014, 02:10 AM
how did Watt look like playing DE and with Mario also on DE ...???? I didn't see the game

They both did well. Watt played mostly DE from what I saw, some at DT. Mario got pressure early on and Watt did all game.

thunderkyss
01-27-2014, 02:40 AM
I didn't watch, but wasn't Duane Brown there as well?

Scooter
01-27-2014, 02:49 AM
I didn't watch, but wasn't Duane Brown there as well?

yup yup, playing right tackle mostly. i didnt focus on him much, but when i looked his way he was one of the very few offensive linemen that was able to hold their own.

Marshall
01-27-2014, 03:42 AM
yup yup, playing right tackle mostly. i didnt focus on him much, but when i looked his way he was one of the very few offensive linemen that was able to hold their own.

He got beat on at least one sack. He pushed his man deep and the QB didn't step up in the pocket. Sort of like what happened to Keenum a lot late in the year. Step into the pocket please.

Malloy
01-27-2014, 05:33 AM
No AJ :(

welsh texan
01-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Anyone else wondering if Watts ProBowl performance might raise the interest for taking Clowney @1.1?

I still think getting QB sorted has to be the first priority, but we saw this season that teams can beat JJ Watt when he's the only real threat, you add the pieces next to him and maybe there is no overcoming that though?

b0ng
01-27-2014, 08:03 AM
Anyone else wondering if Watts ProBowl performance might raise the interest for taking Clowney @1.1?

I still think getting QB sorted has to be the first priority, but we saw this season that teams can beat JJ Watt when he's the only real threat, you add the pieces next to him and maybe there is no overcoming that though?

I don't think much analyzation goes into the pro bowl from a front office/coaching point of view. It's just an exhibition with guys who don't normally play next to each other after a week of what I'm sure are joke practices compared to training camp and the season.

This neato college analysis website (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13) will give you all you can handle in terms of discussion of college players and teams and how they could fit into the Texans.

HJam72
01-27-2014, 08:13 AM
I don't think much analyzation goes into the pro bowl from a front office/coaching point of view. It's just an exhibition with guys who don't normally play next to each other after a week of what I'm sure are joke practices compared to training camp and the season.

This neato college analysis website (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13) will give you all you can handle in terms of discussion of college players and teams and how they could fit into the Texans.

Wow! Thanks! I never woulda found that site without your post. :clap:

DX-TEX
01-27-2014, 08:33 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ffePGJai4XY/UuXLU8JlpGI/AAAAAAAABKI/MZXtkcnq_HI/s400/jjw2.gif

JJ is a modern day PT Barnum

EllisUnit
01-27-2014, 06:16 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ffePGJai4XY/UuXLU8JlpGI/AAAAAAAABKI/MZXtkcnq_HI/s400/jjw2.gif

JJ is a modern day PT Barnum

Thats a pretty good dance haha

Norg
01-27-2014, 06:49 PM
yeah one play it looked like Mario was going 100% and the play were he sacked Brees well I think drew got scared and fell down Mario kinda was putting some muscle on him while on the ground and the reff was like cool it LOL

Mario was like WUT ..???

BigBull17
01-28-2014, 09:57 AM
yeah one play it looked like Mario was going 100% and the play were he sacked Brees well I think drew got scared and fell down Mario kinda was putting some muscle on him while on the ground and the reff was like cool it LOL

Mario was like WUT ..???

The Mario/Poe/McCoy/Watt dline was one of the nastiest things I've ever seen.

DX-TEX
01-28-2014, 10:25 AM

That entire front 7 was scary. I would kill to have it in a real game.

drs23
01-28-2014, 10:27 AM

That was fun to watch wasn't it. I liked the new format and the way the guys played. I actually enjoyed watching a Pro Bowl.

b0ng
01-28-2014, 12:24 PM
That entire front 7 was scary. I would kill to have it in a real game.

Having 2 of the top five DE's and DT's from the previous season would indeed be something to have as well a bunch of great LB's. I'm pretty sure at that point I could coach that defense and be a starting Safety and it would still be in the top 10 that season.