PDA

View Full Version : Head Coach Firings and Hirings

Playoffs
12-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Chris Mortensen on Mike & Mike questioned about NFL Head Coaching changes he expects...

Jets -- No
Titans -- No
Raiders -- leaning Yes
Texans -- done

Dallas -- No
Giants -- No, but Coughlin may step down
Redskins -- Yes
Lions -- Yes
Vikings -- Yes
Buccaneers -- No
Falcons -- No

A bit surprising to me on low number. We'll see...

bah007
12-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Chris Mortensen on Mike & Mike questioned about NFL Head Coaching changes he expects...

Jets -- No
Titans -- No
Raiders -- No
Texans -- Yes (obviously)

Dallas -- No
Giants -- No
Redskins -- Yes
Lions -- Yes
Vikings -- No
Buccaneers -- Yes
Falcons -- No

A bit surprising to me on low number. We'll see...

My take

Thorn
12-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Titans will be getting a new head coach IMO.

cuppacoffee
12-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Wasn't Schwartz a pretty good DC?

:coffee:

bah007
12-20-2013, 08:01 PM

Yes. He's just too emotional to keep his cool when he needs to make the tough decisions a HC needs to make.

toronto
12-20-2013, 08:51 PM

He was decent, I'd hesitate to call him good.

I also strongly believe Munchak is toast, and that Jones may blow his top and throw out Garrett if they miss the playoffs. That GB game just had a brutal stench to it that Garrett may not be able to escape.

TheDrifter
12-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Schwartz & Garret - I think either could save their job with a single playoff win. Its been so long since either franchise had one, that I think it would erase any ill will these last couple of weeks have built up. But I dont expect either team to actually win a playoff game...or even make it to one. But its still out there!

Frazier - should be fired. Terrible record. Probably will be.

Allen - I'd give another year. Expect they will.

Munchak - would probably give another year. Their record and talent level dont seem that far apart. Will probably be fired.

Ryan - probably fired. Once again I wouldn't. Geno Smith and Buttfumble are a joke at the most critical position. I guess his dumb decision to play Buttfumble in a meaningless playoff 4th quarter MAY have cost them a playoff spot.

Shanahan - gone

Smith - stays

Coughlin - stays or retires

Schiano - stays. Glennon has bought him a year.

b0ng
12-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Jets -- No (Agree)
Titans -- No (Disagree, supposedly no playoffs means no job for Munch)
Raiders -- leaning Yes (Disagree, given a terrible situation and they still have $50m in dead money, they will give him another year)
Texans -- done

Dallas -- No (Agree but they should fire Garrett on down)
Giants -- No, but Coughlin may step down (Agree)
Redskins -- Yes (Disagree. Shanahan may not be well liked by the fans but he's not really been on the job long and they have been to the playoffs once already)
Lions -- Yes (Agree unless they go to the playoffs)
Vikings -- Yes (Disagree but I think they should)
Buccaneers -- No (Agree, although Schiano is terrible)
Falcons -- No (Agree, too much good will Smith built up)

Texan4Ever
12-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Schwartz & Garret - I think either could save their job with a single playoff win. Its been so long since either franchise had one, that I think it would erase any ill will these last couple of weeks have built up. But I dont expect either team to actually win a playoff game...or even make it to one. But its still out there!

Frazier - should be fired. Terrible record. Probably will be.

It wasn't too long ago when people were talking about how good Frazier was as a DC. He did field some solid defenses for the Vikings and I'd love to see him come over to us as a DC.

Lucky
12-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Gone
Ryan-Jets (Possible Cowher landing spot)
Munchak-Titans (Look for young coordinator)
Dennis Allen-Raiders (Everyone in the organization might be looking for work)
Garrett-Cowboys (Can't fire the GM)
Shanahan-Skins (Can't believe he hasn't been fired yet)
Frazier-Vikings (Maybe deserves another year)
Schwartz-Lions (Ownership will eat the 2 years remaining)
Coughlin-Giants (Will quietly step down after the season, another spot for Cowher)

Add in the open Texans position, and that's 9 vacancies. The Skins, Jets, Giants, and Cowboys are high profile jobs, so McNair needs to move in on his desired coach and close the deal.

toronto
12-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Gone
Ryan-Jets (Possible Cowher landing spot)
Munchak-Titans (Look for young coordinator)
Dennis Allen-Raiders (Everyone in the organization might be looking for work)
Garrett-Cowboys (Can't fire the GM)
Shanahan-Skins (Can't believe he hasn't been fired yet)
Frazier-Vikings (Maybe deserves another year)
Schwartz-Lions (Ownership will eat the 2 years remaining)
Coughlin-Giants (Will quietly step down after the season, another spot for Cowher)

Add in the open Texans position, and that's 9 vacancies. The Skins, Jets, Giants, and Cowboys are high profile jobs, so McNair needs to move in on his desired coach and close the deal.

I just don't think Cowher comes back. Dude seems to be at peace and I think getting that ring was what he needed to quit and stay put. I do think Gruden may try, can still see the crazy passion he has every Monday night.

Hervoyel
12-22-2013, 12:12 PM
I just don't think Cowher comes back. Dude seems to be at peace and I think getting that ring was what he needed to quit and stay put. I do think Gruden may try, can still see the crazy passion he has every Monday night.

I think that passion you're talking about combined with the lingering idea (which I don't share) that he "just took Tony Dungee's team to the title" has slowly built up in him a desire to return. He hears that talk and over time it's got to get old. He'll wait until he sees what he thinks is the best fit for him but eventually he'll come back. That's what I think.

Of course I would have said Cowher was going to come back someday too but then he spent enough time on TV to get comfortable there. I think that's what happens to a lot of coaches who go to the networks with the idea to see how that goes. I think they start out thinking they'll probably "get back to work" in a few years but then get comfortable and every year they stay comfortable makes it harder to walk away. Before long they're no longer coaches. They're broadcasters.

8 years ago if the Texans had been able to talk Cowher out of the booth we'd have gotten a coach. Today I think he's firmly a broadcaster.

bah007
12-22-2013, 03:41 PM
I didn't think Dallas would be losing to Washington today. Garrett has to be gone if the Redskins hold on.

Lucky
12-22-2013, 06:12 PM
I just don't think Cowher comes back.
I think he's looking for the right owner. I thought McNair might be that guy. I'm thinking now, he's not. The Giants and the Jets may have the type of ownership Cowher is desiring. Gruden? He's not getting the interest I think he believes he deserves. I think he's gotten a bad reputation among NFL owners. I would give him a chance, but I'm not an NFL owner.

toronto
12-24-2013, 01:16 AM
I think he's looking for the right owner. I thought McNair might be that guy. I'm thinking now, he's not. The Giants and the Jets may have the type of ownership Cowher is desiring. Gruden? He's not getting the interest I think he believes he deserves. I think he's gotten a bad reputation among NFL owners. I would give him a chance, but I'm not an NFL owner.

You think he hasn't seen the messes Woody Johnson has helped create and foster????

And the ONLY job I could ever see Cowher take is Dallas. To me, whether many of us like it or not, that's one of the holy grail jobs of coaching. If he could sit down Jones and tell him, I'll take it, but only if you stay the **** out of my way, and Jones agreed, and agreed contractually? Done.

Otherwise, he'll take his easy 7 figure salary for being a talking head once a week and change and continue to enjoy the good life.

Heath Shuler
12-24-2013, 06:31 AM
You think he hasn't seen the messes Woody Johnson has helped create and foster????

And the ONLY job I could ever see Cowher take is Dallas. To me, whether many of us like it or not, that's one of the holy grail jobs of coaching. If he could sit down Jones and tell him, I'll take it, but only if you stay the **** out of my way, and Jones agreed, and agreed contractually? Done.

I don't think that will happen in the foreseeable future

BetaV1
12-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Nothing more than mere speculation on my part, but I get the feeling Mike Tomlin is very much in play of being fired.

nero THE zero
12-26-2013, 10:29 AM
I wish the Jets would fire Ryan. He would leap to the top of my list in an instant.

Hookem Horns
12-26-2013, 01:08 PM

Rumor has been out there for a long time that he wants the Giants job. Maybe he is waiting for Coughlin to be fired. However I tend to agree with Herv that at this point he is probably more of a broadcaster than a coach.

Double Barrel
12-26-2013, 03:18 PM
If Cowher is going to be a Goldilocks coach (i.e. too hot, too cold, gotta' be just right), I'm not sure if he's even got the drive and passion anymore.

My perspective is that the ego's of head coaches make them believe that they can turn any team around. And I have no doubt that many offers have been made to Cowher since his retirement. So if he's going to pass up all offers waiting for the perfect situation (which doesn't exist, btw), I think I'd take a pass and find a young and hungry coach.

I say all that, but with the caveat that I would immediately change my mind if Cowher came here! :D

Wolf
12-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Jets say that Rex Ryan is staying per sports mobile app

bah007
12-29-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm not a Rex Ryan fan but that guy gets a bad rap.

Texian
12-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 9m

Rob Chudzinski will be fired by the #Browns, per league sources.

Texian
12-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m

Browns officially have fired Rob Chudzinski.

ArlingtonTexan
12-29-2013, 10:06 PM

So the Browns are the anti-Texans, 5 coaches in seven years...lol

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/29/browns-fire-rob-chudzinski-say-change-was-needed/

Playoffs
12-29-2013, 10:10 PM

Lombardi gave Chud one year. Nice.

He'll make a run at Bill O'Brien, but look for Josh McDaniels to get his second HC gig. He'll do better with a GM... even if it's Lombardi.

Brandon420tx
12-30-2013, 12:55 AM
I can't believe they blamed Chud for the QB situation. Hoyer was playing great (Even Weeden did ok to start the season .... somewhat) then got injured.

leebigeztx
12-30-2013, 04:27 AM
Draft Teddy, hire chud as qb coach,norv as oc. Get romeo as dl coach and mangini as dc. That would be an awesome staff.

Brisco_County
12-30-2013, 06:52 AM
Draft Teddy, hire chud as qb coach,norv as oc. Get romeo as dl coach and mangini as dc. That would be an awesome staff.

Think more PSU, less NE.

Texian
12-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m

The #Vikings have fired coach Leslie Frazier.

Texian
12-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m

#Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and his coaching staff are out, per source. (@MikeJonesWaPo 1st reported)

texanhead08
12-30-2013, 09:42 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m

#Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and his coaching staff are out, per source. (@MikeJonesWaPo 1st reported)

I want to get this out there now, but the first person who suggests the Texans should look at Shanahan should be banned for life.

Playoffs
12-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Leslie Frazier fired in Minnesota and I think he got a raw deal. Vikes were a playoff team last year and all the front office provided him at QB was Christian Ponder and Josh Freeman. I'd bet the players won't be happy about this.

Playoffs
12-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Lombardi...

Cleveland Browns players unhappy with turnover (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000305937/article/cleveland-browns-players-unhappy-with-turnover)

Browns coach Rob Chudzinski was fired Sunday night after one season in Cleveland. When news leaked of Chud's possible dismissal earlier in the day, Browns players were not enthused.

"It's just absurd to me that a report would be out like that, about a good coach like that. It's crazy, and that (ticked) me off when I heard that," Browns linebacker D'Qwell Jackson said Sunday afternoon, via The Associated Press.

"We are so dysfunctional," one Browns player told NFL Media columnist Michael Silver on Sunday. "These billionaires need to pick somebody and stay with them. These aren't girlfriends. You can't dump them if they (fail to please you) one time."

"I'm on the wrong bus and very happy I don't have to sit on bus (No. 1, with Chudzinski) in awkwardness," another member of the team told Silver.
"You look at the great franchises," Browns left tackle Joe Thomas told the Akron Beacon Journal, "they don't fire your coach after the first season. You can't do it."

Texian
12-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt 3m

RT @JayGlazer: Greg Schiano and Mark Dominik have been fired!

Texan4Ever
12-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Leslie Frazier fired in Minnesota and I think he got a raw deal. Vikes were a playoff team last year and all the front office provided him at QB was Christian Ponder and Josh Freeman. I'd bet the players won't be happy about this.

I know he's a defensive-minded coach but his defense wasn't that effective this year. However, his FO did a piss poor job of helping him find a QB. What probably killed him is his nice guy personality and the fact that he's not one of the coach's who goes off on GMs and other staff.

Texian
12-30-2013, 12:02 PM
One More:

Jim Schwartz has also been fired. Just now hitting the wires.

Playoffs
12-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Schiano and Schwartz fired from TB and DET, respectively.

Playoffs
12-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Talk of Lovie Smith and Rich McKay reuniting back with Tampa Bay.

Hookem Horns
12-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Schiano and Schwartz fired from TB and DET, respectively.

Great news. I was really thinking they were not going to 86 this guy.

Playoffs
12-30-2013, 01:07 PM
This is pretty freaking cool to watch...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000307031/article/ny-jets-celebrate-announcement-of-rex-ryans-return

Gotta love the reaction by the players on the news, and to see Ryan speechless for one of the few times ever. :ahhaha:

Texan4Ever
12-30-2013, 01:36 PM
This is pretty freaking cool to watch...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000307031/article/ny-jets-celebrate-announcement-of-rex-ryans-return

Gotta love the reaction by the players on the news, and to see Ryan speechless for one of the few times ever. :ahhaha:

I wish the Texans could (or can) get a HC that the players defend and are excited to play for.

Playoffs
12-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Classy presser from Greg Schiano, I understand, I thank them, They've been supportive, I like this team's future...

Look for him at PSU, methinks.

Playoffs
12-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Change.org: Petitioning Cleveland Browns Organization (https://www.change.org/petitions/cleveland-browns-organization-reinstate-rob-chudzinski-as-head-coach-or-provide-a-detailed-explanation-of-his-shortcomings-over-the-course-of-the-2013-season)
Cleveland Browns Organization: Reinstate Rob Chudzinski as head coach or provide a detailed explanation of his shortcomings over the course of the 2013 season.

:stooges:

Playoffs
12-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Another coach the Buccaneers are considering is former Texans HC Gary Kubiak, per league sources.

Redskins should hire Kubes and make their own DC hire. How about Wade?

Vikings have requested permission to interview Seahawks DC Dan Quinn, as Browns have.

toronto
12-30-2013, 10:27 PM
For reasons that completely escape me, Munchak may survive. It simply blows my mind. Nice gift for you folks that the Titans are that frigging stupid.

Hervoyel
12-31-2013, 10:29 AM
So it looks like Garrett is going to stay in Dallas. I have a theory about that. Ever look at how much he resembles a young Jerry Jones?

I suspect that Jerry's keeping him around with the intention of stealing his body once his team of mad scientists finish development on the mind-transfer-machine deep in their underground lab beneath the stadium. One day Garrett's going to go to work and then not be seen for a day or two.

Suddenly Jerry will "die" revealing a never before seen (but perfectly legal) last will and testament that leaves everything to "Jason" who will proceed to assume owner/GM duties for the team.

Playoffs
12-31-2013, 10:35 AM
So it looks like Garrett is going to stay in Dallas. I have a theory about that. Ever look at how much he resembles a young Jerry Jones?

I suspect that Jerry's keeping him around with the intention of stealing his body once his team of mad scientists finish development on the mind-transfer-machine deep in their underground lab beneath the stadium. One day Garrett's going to go to work and then not be seen for a day or two.

Suddenly Jerry will "die" revealing a never before seen will that leaves everything to "Jason" who will assume owner/GM duties for the team.

I can see that. :turtle:

But I think Garrett is still HC because he's dumb/weak enough to leave every decision to his GM. You could see it on draft day war room camera for 2013 Draft. Things did not fall Jerruh's way, and he obviously panicked. Garrett sat quietly by.

Playoffs
12-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Lombardi gave Chud one year. Nice.

... look for Josh McDaniels to get his second HC gig. He'll do better with a GM... even if it's Lombardi.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
Per source, the Patriots have granted the Browns permission to interview offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

b0ng
12-31-2013, 01:43 PM

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Haslam-and-Banner-Address-Coaching-Change/2b393ab0-7b32-4126-9115-b818b4dec86b

This was the Browns press conference yesterday and let me tell you what, it's flat out amazing. The "media" are like sharks who smell blood and are asking some very angry and very loaded questions. The looks on Haslam and Banner's faces are great. Especially when they start reading anonymous facebook posts.

toronto
12-31-2013, 01:52 PM
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Haslam-and-Banner-Address-Coaching-Change/2b393ab0-7b32-4126-9115-b818b4dec86b

This was the Browns press conference yesterday and let me tell you what, it's flat out amazing. The "media" are like sharks who smell blood and are asking some very angry and very loaded questions. The looks on Haslam and Banner's faces are great. Especially when they start reading anonymous facebook posts.

They deserve all the scorn humanly possible. They handed him weeded and hoyer, then when the one QB doing OK (hoyer) got hurt, were left with garbage at QB. That team kept playing hard anyways, and the coach gets blamed after that? No coach in their right mind would want that job.

Playoffs
12-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Teams gathering info on these assts for coordinator or HC jobs: #49ers DL coach Jim Tomsula (DC/HC), #Bengals LB coach Paul Guenther (DC).

Playoffs
12-31-2013, 03:13 PM
Sporting News: Rob Chudzinski fiasco suggests Browns' strategy amounts to throwing darts (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-12-31/cleveland-browns-coach-rob-chudzinski-jimmy-haslam-mike-lombardi)
Most general managers in the NFL get the opportunity to hire two head coaches during their tenure before they are the one placed squarely on the chopping block. So, Browns GM Mike Lombardi is officially on the clock.

Speaking of Lombardi, there were multiple reports that part of the reason for Chud's firing was his refusal to send a message by cutting an unnamed player during the season.

Excuse me? Since when did Chud get control over the composition of the 53-man roster? I must have missed that one. The answer is never which means that Lombardi or team president Joe Banner or owner Jimmy Haslam all could have easily made the move they evidently deemed necessary for the team going forward. Why did they need Chud's permission? They didn't, which is why the report makes no sense. How about some accountability on the part of whomever leaked that ridiculous report to multiple members of the media?

Speaking of Haslam, what does this say about him? One year at the helm and already firing a head coach, amid a report that the coach declined to fire a player in order to "send a message" to the team? Is there a chance we have the NFL's version of George Steinbrenner among us?

I was only around one situation where a head coach was fired after one season and that set that franchise back for years. It was 2001 in Washington and owner Dan Snyder parted ways with Marty Schottenheimer despite the fact that the team rallied from an 0-5 start to finish 8-8 and was clearly heading in the right direction under a Hall of Fame caliber head coach. Snyder and Schottenheimer evidently had a personality conflict so Snyder removed the proven NFL winner in favor of Steve Spurrier and the rest, as they say, is history. And not the good kind of history ...

As for Chudzinski himself, this is probably the best thing that could've happened to him if the front office didn't believe in him, which it clearly didn't. Which by the way begs the question of why the Browns hired him in the first place. He gets to keep the remaining $10.5 million on his contract and I'm not sure other organizations will even look at his one year as a genuine opportunity. He gets the money and a mulligan, and as such, should recycle in a year or two back on the front burner of owners looking for a bright young offensive mind.

Double Barrel
12-31-2013, 05:29 PM
From one of Playoffs' links:

"These billionaires need to pick somebody and stay with them. These aren't girlfriends. You can't dump them if they (fail to please you) one time."

:spit:

This is one of the funniest quotes I've read in awhile. Wrong for so many reasons.

*thanking God that we are not the Cleveland Browns*

Playoffs
01-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Lovie's job, unless he better-deals them.
Bingo.

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer
The Bucs are hiring Lovie Smith to be their new head coach, two sides are finalizing the contract tonight

Playoffs
01-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Former Cal coach Jeff Tedford will be Lovie Smith's OC, and Rod Marinelli will be the Bucs' defensive coordinator, ESPN is reporting.

Strong staff.

drs23
01-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Former Cal coach Jeff Tedford will be Lovie Smith's OC, and Rod Marinelli will be the Bucs' defensive coordinator, ESPN is reporting.

Strong staff.

Hmmmm...

Jeff Tedford to be his OC, and Leslie Frazier to be his DC

Wonder which it will be?

Playoffs
01-01-2014, 11:49 PM
Wonder which it will be?

Either DC, that will be a turnaround team imo.

Trap_Star
01-02-2014, 12:41 AM
Hmmmm...

Wonder which it will be?

Laconfora was reporting it was Frazier, so not sure at this point. If Schefter is saying Marinelli then i'll go with that.

drs23
01-04-2014, 01:41 AM
Laconfora was reporting it was Frazier, so not sure at this point. If Schefter is saying Marinelli then i'll go with that.

Well at least now we know who's source knew what they were talking about. As I heard it Lovie wanted Marinelli but Jerruh wouldn't allow him to be interviewed. What a dick.

ChampionTexan
01-04-2014, 01:48 AM
Well at least now we know who's source knew what they were talking about. As I heard it Lovie wanted Marinelli but Jerruh wouldn't allow him to be interviewed. What a dick.

Maybe, but Jerry may also be planning on making him the next DC of the Cowboys. I imagine we'll see soon enough.

drs23
01-04-2014, 01:54 AM
Maybe, but Jerry may also be planning on making him the next DC of the Cowboys. I imagine we'll see soon enough.

That crossed my mind as well. I've heard the Kiffen is on the way out rumors too but I couldn't pass on calling Skelator a derogatory name. I'm juvenile like that sometimes. :shades:

Playoffs
01-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Giant killers...

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Every coach who lost to the Jaguars in 2013 has been fired http://cbsprt.co/1lHf0eb via @cbssports

Playoffs
01-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Jim Caldwell ... getting Rooney Ruled or legit shot at HC gig?

Should be the latter, imo. Just not a rah-rah guy.

Playoffs
01-06-2014, 01:43 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
The #Dolphins announced the expected move. OC Mike Sherman has been fired.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
.@mortreport reiterated on ESPN there is tension b/t Jeff Ireland/Joe Philbin & cld be "more headbutting" on whether they can work together.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Talked to a coaching search veteran on the #Redskins search: “Bruce Allen is recreating Al Davis’ process. Gathering intel for the future”

Playoffs
01-08-2014, 02:00 PM
The Lombardi effect! :lol:

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has withdrawn from consideration for the Cleveland Browns HC job, per a league source.

I think OB turned them down last year, amongst others.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar
You are the Cleveland Browns, and Josh McDaniels just turned you down. Marinate on that for a second.

Though WASH reached out to him last week, Vanderbilt HC James Franklin has no interview planned with Redskins. Sounds like PSU or Vandy.

Another contender added in the "Thanks, But No Thanks" Bowl.

ChampionTexan
01-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Jay Gruden reportedly to be the Washington Redskins next HC.

The Washington Redskins have found their next head coach.

NFL Media's Jeff Darlington reported Thursday morning that Jay Gruden and the team have finalized a deal to make him the successor to the fired Mike Shanahan, per multiple sources familiar with the negotiations.

LINK (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311077/article/jay-gruden-washington-redskins-finalize-deal)

DBCooper
01-09-2014, 10:15 AM

LINK (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311077/article/jay-gruden-washington-redskins-finalize-deal)

Damn it's hard to be first with news around here! Lol

I always thought Jay was an interesting option, curious to see how he fares.

HoustonFrog
01-09-2014, 10:33 AM

When he gets off the plane Snyder will be like "wait you're not the one from MNF." I like this...for my Cowboys, who still have the 4th best coach in the division.

DBCooper
01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
When he gets off the plane Snyder will be like "wait you're not the one from MNF." I like this...for my Cowboys, who still have the 4th best coach in the division.

One more year of pain, then Jerry will throw the bank at Cohwer.

The Pencil Neck
01-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Not sure how there's not a thread for this.

But Jay Gruden is now the HC of the Redskins and except for a couple of re-arrangements, it looks like he's keeping almost all of Shanahan's assistants including Haslett as his DC. (Of course, mini-Shanny is already out.)

Hue Jackson becomes the OC for the Bengals.

paycheck71
01-09-2014, 02:35 PM

You're not the only one thinking this way. LOL

Jordan Schultz @Schultz_Report
This just in: Daniel Synder thought he hired Jon Gruden, not Jay Gruden, and has voided the contract! #Redskins

Hookem Horns
01-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Not sure how there's not a thread for this.

But Jay Gruden is now the HC of the Redskins and except for a couple of re-arrangements, it looks like he's keeping almost all of Shanahan's assistants including Haslett as his DC. (Of course, mini-Shanny is already out.)

Hue Jackson becomes the OC for the Bengals.

Good news if you are a Giants, Eagles or Cowboys fan. I really wonder if this guy would be in consideration if his name wasn't Gruden. Has the Bengals offense really been impressive? They certainly aren't in the playoffs. It's not like Dalton has turned out to be a stud at QB either.

Then retaining most of Shanahan's staff? I have to assume that at least Kyle Shanahan is out.

Just goes to show you that fans should not own football teams.

ChampionTexan
01-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Then retaining most of Shanahan's staff? I have to assume that at least Kyle Shanahan is out.

As the OP indicated, Li'l Shanny was fired the same day Big Shanny was.

infantrycak
01-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Good news if you are a Giants, Eagles or Cowboys fan. I really wonder if this guy would be in consideration if his name wasn't Gruden. Has the Bengals offense really been impressive? They certainly aren't in the playoffs. It's not like Dalton has turned out to be a stud at QB either.

Kyle is out and I believe interviewing in Miami for OC.

Gruden is an interesting choice particularly as it has now been reported he was behind taking Dalton over Kaep and another QB who the owner and GM liked more.

The Pencil Neck
01-09-2014, 03:04 PM

As I said in my original post, Kyle is already gone.

But instead of hiring a new guy for the OC post, the reports are that they're promoting the current TE coach to the OC spot.

As bad as that defense was, you'd expect them to clean house on the defensive side, but they're keeping them. I've heard conflicting things on Haslet: I've heard he's being retained but I've also heard that Raheem Moore is being promoted to DC, so I don't know what's going on there.

HOU-TEX
01-09-2014, 03:08 PM

Agreed on all points. Keeping Haslett is ridiculous imo. Buddy or not, he would've been the 1st one I whacked after walking in the front door. Promote Raheem Morris to DC or look for someone else.

infantrycak
01-09-2014, 03:12 PM
As I said in my original post, Kyle is already gone.

But instead of hiring a new guy for the OC post, the reports are that they're promoting the current TE coach to the OC spot.

As bad as that defense was, you'd expect them to clean house on the defensive side, but they're keeping them. I've heard conflicting things on Haslet: I've heard he's being retained but I've also heard that Raheem Moore is being promoted to DC, so I don't know what's going on there.

Sounds like a straight up owner picked RGIII over the Shanahan's.

ChampionTexan
01-09-2014, 03:14 PM

That would be Sean McVay - who was on the offensive staff of the UFL's Forida Tuskers in 2009, while Jay Gruden was the offensive coordinator there. (Note: He's also turning 28 years old in two weeks, which means he was 23 years old when Gruden worked with him before)

The Pencil Neck
01-09-2014, 04:05 PM
That would be Sean McVay - who was on the offensive staff of the UFL's Forida Tuskers in 2009, while Jay Gruden was the offensive coordinator there. (Note: He's also turning 28 years old in two weeks, which means he was 23 years old when Gruden worked with him before)

Yeah, there's been some people questioning if this is a Florida Reunion.

The GM of the Redskins worked with the Raiders when Jon Gruden was there and then was re-united with John Gruden in Tampa Bay. I believe he worked with Raheem Moore there for awhile, too.

Playoffs
01-09-2014, 04:13 PM
But Jay Gruden is now the HC of the Redskins and except for a couple of re-arrangements, it looks like he's keeping almost all of Shanahan's assistants

A match made in h-e-doublehockeysticks. :roast:

infantrycak
01-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Not a head coach, but from PFT.com:

Josina Anderson of ESPN reports that the team will interview former Texans quarterbacks coach Karl Dorrell for the position, which became available when Kevin Gilbride retired after the end of the season.

Playoffs
01-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Titans owner Tommy Smith said to be "smitten with Seattle" so much that Seahawks DC Dan Quinn expected to be finalist before he interviews.:heart: That's how you do it in the NFL. :kitten:

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac30/codybraverman/tommysmith2_zps0841e71a.gif?t=1387206405

http://cmsimg.dnj.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=D4&Date=20131211&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=312110011&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Smith-agonizing-over-coach-s-future-Titans

Playoffs
01-13-2014, 02:49 PM
I don't think they need Chud to warn them off the Clevepound...

Report that former Cleveland Browns coach Rob Chudzinski has been talking to current Browns candidates is not true, source says (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/report_that_former_cleveland_b.html?utm_source=dlv r.it&utm_medium=twitter)
A national report that former Browns coach Rob Chudzinski has been talking the team down to its current head coaching candidates is false, a league source told cleveland.com.

The source said Chudzinski has not talked to any of the Browns candidates.

The report that Chudzinski was disparaging the Browns to candidates came from NFL Network's Ian Rapoport on the NFL GameDay shows Sunday morning.

Rapoport said the Browns are having a tough time in their search because candidates are getting bad reviews of the Browns straight from the mouth of coach Chudzinski, who was fired after going 4-12 in his first season.

''Part of the problem here is -- from what I'm told -- candidates have been calling Rob Chudzinski, who went one-and-out with the Browns,'' Rapaport stated. "The reviews have not been favorable; he's an honest guy. He's been honest with them and when you talk to people involved in these interviews, it doesn't sound like Banner, Lombardi and (owner Jimmy) Haslam have all been on the same page.''

kiwitexansfan
01-13-2014, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't want to coach anywhere where one and done is a possibility.

At least McNair favours stability and you know you'll get a fair crack at it.

WolverineFan
01-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Titans have hired Whisenhunt apparently.

drs23
01-13-2014, 06:40 PM
Titans have hired Whisenhunt apparently.

How apparently?

Linky?

Playoffs
01-13-2014, 06:42 PM
From @mortreport and me: Ken Whisenhunt has accepted an offer to become the next coach of Tennessee Titans.

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport
Whisenhunt to Titans; Jim Caldwell emerges w Lions. Mike Munchak still alive with Detroit & Cleveland, sources via @AdamSchefter & me

Details on Ken Whisenhunt to Titans and Lions talking with Ravens OC Jim Caldwell from @mortreport and me. http://es.pn/1j4kXVC

drs23
01-13-2014, 06:43 PM

Cool, thanks PO.

toronto
01-13-2014, 06:44 PM
How apparently?

Linky?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10288995/ken-whisenhunt-tennessee-titans-new-head-coach

or

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000312900/article/ken-whisenhunt-accepts-job-as-tennessee-titans-coach

WolverineFan
01-13-2014, 07:00 PM
How apparently?

Linky?

Didn't have a link....which is why I said apparently.

drs23
01-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Didn't have a link....which is why I said apparently.

Toronto got it. Thanks WF.

Playoffs
01-13-2014, 07:10 PM
There was some word circling that Whizz was warm to Possum Holler. I'm guessing he was promised a long leash and lots of input on the draft -- weak GM model. Sheftensen reporting he didn't want to try to fit Lions 4-3 drafted players into his preferred 3-4 scheme.

Caldwell leader for Lions now.

More wait & see on Munchak. http://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/s_waiting_8.gif

drs23
01-13-2014, 07:15 PM
There was some word circling that Whizz was warm to Possum Holler. I'm guessing he was promised a long leash and lots of input on the draft -- weak GM model. Sheftensen reporting he didn't want to try to fit Lions 4-3 drafted players into his preferred 3-4 scheme.

Caldwell leader for Lions now.

More wait & see on Munchak. http://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/s_waiting_8.gif

Has Munch interviewed with the Lions yet? Braintoot, can't remember.

Marshall
01-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Has Munch interviewed with the Lions yet? Braintoot, can't remember.

I think I remember reading that Munchak had an impressive interview with Detroit, but I could be mistaken.

Playoffs
01-13-2014, 07:46 PM
I think I remember reading that Munchak had an impressive interview with Detroit, but I could be mistaken.

Correct. Munch was thought to be their fallback but Jim Caldwell makes better sense for Stafford. He deserves another shot too, imo.

toronto
01-13-2014, 08:20 PM

He spelled cat when spotted the C and the T. Sorry, not a Munchak fan. Not sure why he was ever considered an even competent coach...he did an awful job and should have never been a HC IMO.

jaayteetx
01-13-2014, 09:37 PM
Kubiak interviewed with the Lions, is he next in line for the gig now that Whiz said no?

Playoffs
01-13-2014, 11:25 PM
P. Schrager ‏@PSchrags
Matt Leinart says he doesn't like the Whisenhunt hiring for Tennessee. Says Arizona success was because of Kurt Warner. No Warner in Tennessee. @FOXSportsLive

toronto
01-13-2014, 11:35 PM
P. Schrager ‏@PSchrags

Matt Leinart says he doesn't like the Whisenhunt hiring for Tennessee. Says Arizona success was because of Kurt Warner. No Warner in Tennessee. @FOXSportsLive

When I'm done laughing at what this complete NFL washout has to say, I'll comment. Wait, guess I already did.

Playoffs
01-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Lions-Jim Caldwell official. Hired.

Detroit Lions are hiring Jim Caldwell as their head coach, per a league source.

Playoffs
01-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Browns taking yet another bullet from a qualified HC candidate...

Cardinals DC Todd Bowles has withdrawn from consideration for Browns HC job, per source.

So of the six candidates interviewed, Bowles, McDaniels and Whisenhunt are out for Cleveland. That leaves McAdoo, Quinn and Munchak.

...stay away, Muchak, stay away! http://cdn.kitchenknifeforums.com/images/smilies/smiley_emoticons_warn.gif

Playoffs
01-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Scratch McAdoo from the above list...

New York Giants ‏@Giants
The Giants have hired Ben McAdoo as their new offensive coordinator. More shortly

and CSN Houston Texans writer GZ has pulled his name. :spit:

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Since everyone else is already doing it, I'll also take my name out of the running to be the next coach of the Browns.

I'll go ahead and remove my name from consideration as of now, too. :runaway:

toronto
01-14-2014, 06:58 PM
The Browns brought this on themselves. No coach with any self respect would want that job right now unless they are that desperate for a NFL HC gig. The last coach proved you have no job security or ability to do a proper rebuild, you have a front office in your grill, and even they aren't all on the same page, talent in way too much flux, and refuse to fix the QB position properly.

Not to mention its a pretty ****ty city climate and economics-wise.

So yeah, scratch my name from the HC search as well.

kiwitexansfan
01-14-2014, 10:57 PM
I'll go ahead and remove my name from consideration as of now, too. :runaway:

If they can afford me they can have me.

HOU-TEX
01-15-2014, 10:54 AM
Vikes hire Zimmer. Congrats, I always wanted to see what he'd be like as a HC. I wanted him here, but oh well

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer 3m
The Vikings have hired Mike Zimmer as their new head coach.

Playoffs
01-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot
#Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton is a leading candidate to join Ken Whisenhunt in Tennessee as his DC, per @mortreport

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
#Eagles QB coach Bill Lazor has accepted the job of #Dolphins OC, source confirms. (@mortreport 1st reported)

As of yesterday, #Lions coach Jim Caldwell targeted Bill Lazor as the guy he wanted for OC. Lazor chooses Miami. Caldwell still searching

And now there is Cleveland....

http://d2fhxf8f1mx9n3.cloudfront.net/styles/pirates/smilies/facepalm.gif

Playoffs
01-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Rex Ryan had 1 year left on deal. His agreed-to extension is for multi years. That ties Ryan to Jets for at least 3 more years, maybe more.

Rex Ryan had one year left on deal. His agreed-upon extension is for multi years. So that ties Ryan to Jets for... http://fb.me/6GIKhsMYN

Jets and head coach Rex Ryan have reached agreement on a multi-year extension, according to team and league sources.

infantrycak
01-16-2014, 03:15 PM

Only the 1st year is guaranteed. They aren't tied to him for 3 years.

Playoffs
01-19-2014, 01:15 PM
3 things Bill Parcells told Mike Zimmer to write down on the day he was hired by Vikings: 1. "Your best friends will disappoint you"

No. 2 was "4 or 5 things happen every day in pro football you wish wouldn't happen and if you can't handle those, you need to get another job"

Parcells' 3rd instruction to Zimmer about being a head coach: "It's lonely."

DBCooper
01-19-2014, 02:50 PM
Just saw that Ray Horton will be named DC of Titans.

That sucks.

I was hoping for Richard Smith.

Playoffs
01-19-2014, 03:04 PM

That sucks.Agree. It was pretty strange the way the Browns set it up to force Horton to leave without firing him.

Whizz on offense and Horton on defense and getting away from CJ2K, the Tacks getting on the right track.

DBCooper
01-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Agree. It was pretty strange the way the Browns set it up to force Horton to leave without firing him.

Whizz on offense and Horton on defense and getting away from CJ2K, the Tacks getting on the right track.

This is unfortunate.

Dutchrudder
01-20-2014, 02:15 PM

That sucks.

I was hoping for Richard Smith.

http://www.clevescene.com/binary/9aca/1321455608-picture_1593.png

Playoffs
01-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Saints QB coach Joe Lombardi, the grandson of Vince Lombardi, will be hired as Lions new offensive coordinator. per league sources
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
#Bengals hired Vance Joseph as DBs coach. At least three other teams also had interest in him.

Playoffs
01-21-2014, 12:01 PM
The Browns... scratch my name from the HC search as well.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
#Broncos OC Adam Gase has thanked #Browns for their interest but informed them they can move on with their search as he focuses on the game

Browns now focusing on SEA DC Dan Quinn and BUF DC Mike Pettine... please say yes, please say yes, somebody please say yes!

Playoffs
01-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Former Chiefs GM Scott Pioli is joining Falcons' front office.

Ride Along with Dimitroff and Pioli (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr7JBgz5Y2I&feature=c4-overview&list=UUzjCfV3LHyarKbdb-2ScGZg)

A somewhat bizarre dashcam video of Thomas Dimitroff & newly hired Scott Pioli at Senior Bowl.

Playoffs
01-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Panthers announced HC Ron Rivera has signed a three-year contract extension.

Playoffs
01-28-2014, 09:55 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Strange saga with Cowboys staff - they bring in Linehan but deny requests from Browns and Ravens to interview Callahan for their OC jobs.

Cowboys announce Monte Kiffin stays but Rod Marinelli becomes D coordinator.

Scott Linehan is passing game coordinator. Callahan remains OC

:clown: http://i2.wp.com/www.janedavenport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/circus-tent.jpg :clown:

Playoffs
01-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Gregg Williams, who was always Jeff Fisher's preferred choice as DC, is expected to replace Tim Walton in St Louis. Sources

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/money/smileys-money-114847.gif

Playoffs
01-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Ravens have appointed Steve Spagnuolo to be their secondary coach and have hired Brian Pariani as tight ends coach.

Another Kubiak add.

Dutchrudder
01-29-2014, 03:53 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Strange saga with Cowboys staff - they bring in Linehan but deny requests from Browns and Ravens to interview Callahan for their OC jobs.

Cowboys announce Monte Kiffin stays but Rod Marinelli becomes D coordinator.

Scott Linehan is passing game coordinator. Callahan remains OC

:clown: http://i2.wp.com/www.janedavenport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/circus-tent.jpg :clown:

You mean Monte Kiffin and his historically bad defense at USC didn't work out in Dallas? Who could have seen that coming? :headhurts:

I still don't see why Jerry hasn't fired Jason Garret yet. If you strip him of calling plays, then he's just a personnel coordinator at that point. Might as well replace him with someone that actually knows how to win a football game in crunch time. I'd hate to be a fan of that team.

Playoffs
02-13-2014, 07:58 PM
The Lombardi effect! :lol:

I think OB turned them down last year, amongst others.

Bingo...
Little did Banner know that Haslam was exhausted with both men; a change of heart fueled by Banner's reportedly rude behavior during sitdowns with candidates Ken Whisenhunt and Greg Schiano. Haslam also learned during the process that new Texans coach Bill O'Brien didn't want the job in Cleveland "because of either Banner, Lombardi or both."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325582/article/report-joe-banner-michael-lombardi-were-at-odds

Thorn
02-13-2014, 09:17 PM

Another Kubiak add.

It's going to be interesting seeing how the turd birds do next year.

Playoffs
11-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Jim Caldwell ... getting Rooney Ruled or legit shot at HC gig?

Should be the latter, imo. Just not a rah-rah guy.

...Munch was thought to be their fallback but Jim Caldwell makes better sense for Stafford. He deserves another shot too, imo.
Caldwell has the Lions at 7-2, missing Calvin Johnson for a number of games...
"I talked to some guys while I was in Detroit (last week). A vet of nine years, said, 'this is the first time I've ever felt like a professional football player,' talking about Jim Caldwell," Burleson said. "Another guy said, 'he is one coach that understands the temperament of this team, which means when we show up on Sunday we're going to give everything we've got because he's taking care of us during the week.' "

Burleson added that Caldwell's persona has seeped into his players.

"Another person said in the organization -- that's not even a player -- 'I haven't heard him curse or raise his voice,' " Burleson said. "That goes a long way with a team, which was supposed to be immature over the last few years. Now all of a sudden you've got a young team but they're vets, they're different now."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000426294/article/nate-burleson-lions-players-raving-about-jim-caldwell