PDA

View Full Version : University of Texas' Head Coach search

Playoffs
12-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Mac Brown has resigned. There's a lot of talk that Texas will not be able to get the "big name" they hope will make a "big splash" in hiring and recruiting. Here's a list cobbled together from a few articles linked below:
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images/team_logos/50x50/texas_longhorns.png
Gus Malzahn, Auburn

Malzahn was born in Texas. He spent much of his early career in nearby Arkansas. He's winning national coach of the year awards. In an era of offense-first football, Malzahn is perhaps the best offensive mind around.

During its year between his stints at Auburn, the Tigers averaged 18.7 points and 305.0 yards per game on its way to a 3-9 record. This season, the Tigers are 12-1, SEC champions and set to play Florida State in the BCS Championship Game. The offense has exploded for 40.2 points and 505.3 yards per contest, and Auburn's 335.7 rushing yards per game leads the nation.

Malzahn might be the hottest head coach in America right now, and Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel recently reported that Texas is his "dream job." However, Malzahn and Auburn agreed to terms on a six-year contract extension this month, a deal that has built in raises and will pay $5.1 million in base salary during its final year. Even notorious nomads Bobby Petrino and Todd Graham would raise their eyebrows if he decided to leave right after signing a new deal.

James Franklin, Vanderbilt

If Malzahn isn't the hottest coach in the country, then it would be Franklin. Franklin took over at Vanderbilt in 2011 and has led the Commodores to three consecutive bowl appearances and has a chance at back-to-back nine-win campaigns. Yes, Franklin has done that at Vanderbilt, a school that had been to one bowl game in the previous 36 seasons. From 1975 through 2010 the 'Dores had a winning percentage of .290. Under Franklin, that number is .605.

Franklin recruits well, has the on-field credentials, and is a high-energy guy. His seemingly tireless promotion of the program at Vanderbilt shows a personal quality that would be valuable at Texas. He's a coach who'd look forward to selling his team on the Longhorn Network. Whoever gets the Longhorns gig will be in the spotlight and likely needs an outgoing attitude to thrive.

Charlie Strong, Louisville

For years, Strong toiled as a SEC defensive coordinator longing to take over a program. Louisville finally gave him the opportunity prior to the 2010 season. After 7-6 seasons in 2010 and '11, Strong has led his team to a 22-3 record over the last two years, including a Sugar Bowl win over Florida. He has a great background as a defensive coach, and Louisville has been among the top 25 nationally in scoring defense in three of his four years, including a No. 3 ranking this season.

Perhaps the biggest question mark for Strong is whether he would actually leave Louisville. The coach has been mentioned as a possible candidate for previous openings, but he's indicated a strong sense of loyalty toward his school, once spurning Tennessee to stick with the Cards. Would the allure of Texas trump that loyalty?

David Shaw, Stanford

Shaw hasn't been a head coach long, but he's already had significant success. Taking over for Jim Harbaugh in 2011, he's taken Stanford to three consecutive 11-win seasons and BCS bowl berths. Most thought the Cardinal would take a step down when Harbaugh left for the NFL, but Shaw has proven that he too can run an elite program. USC reportedly had some interest in Shaw before hiring Steve Sarkisian, but he said the feeling wasn't mutual.

As with Strong, the biggest question regarding Shaw's possible candidacy at Texas is loyalty, and it's an even bigger question here. He's a Stanford alum and the son of a Stanford coach, and even if the Longhorns offer a big pay day, it likely will not be enough to pluck him from Palo Alto.

He has eight years of experience as an NFL assistant, and some think if he ever leaves Stanford, it would be for the professional ranks like his predecessor. The Houston Texans are already rumored to be suitors.

Jimbo Fisher, Florida State

If Texas can't get Nick Saban, why not a Saban disciple? After Florida State struggled in the twilight of Bobby Bowden's career, Fisher has returned the Seminoles to prominence. Could he replace another fading legend?

After 10-4 and 9-4 seasons in in 2010 and '11, the Seminoles won the ACC title and defeated Northern Illinois in the Orange Bowl last year. Now, FSU is 13-0 and playing Auburn for its first national championship since 1999. Fisher has been an outstanding recruiter for the 'Noles, hauling in four straight top-10 classes, according to 247 Sports.

But Fisher might not be the guy, for the same reasons Malzahn is unlikely to be the guy. He's tied up for a month to prepare for the title game, and he just agreed to a contract extension, coming to terms for $4.1 million for at least the next five years. It's hard to see him leaving a brand-new deal and the reigning Heisman Trophy winner.

Art Briles, Baylor

Briles, who also has a new deal, could be the front-runner. He's from Texas and was a championship high school coach in the state. He knows local recruiting. He's turned Baylor from a doormat into a contender. He coached Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III in 2011.

This year, employing his explosive offensive attack, the Bears have had the best offense in America, averaging 53.3 points and 623.8 yards per game. Baylor defeated Texas, 30-10, in the regular-season finale to clinch its first conference title since 1994 and will play in its first BCS game in January.

Briles appears to be the perfect fit, and Texas could likely out-bid Baylor, but would he leave Waco for Austin? If he continues his current level of success with the Bears, he'll be the most-beloved coach in school history. Baylor will open a new stadium next fall, he just signed an extension, and at 58 years old, he might not want to start over at a new destination, especially one that would be so firmly in the limelight.

But if the question is about which coach would be most likely to find immediate success at Texas, the answer is likely Briles.

Big 12 coaches I have spoken w fear that Art Briles will get the job, "He'd crush everyone if he gets the job" "Might never lose".
— FootballScoop Staff (@footballscoop) December 15, 2013

Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers

He hasn't been a college coach in 15 years, and he was only a position coach at small schools even then. And when he was connected to USC rumors, he shot those down.

But if CBS Sports' Bruce Feldman says Tomlin is a name to keep in mind, then Tomlin's a name to keep in mind.

Jim Mora, UCLA

Mora has done a fine job at UCLA, turning the Bruins into the best program in Los Angeles. Yes, some of that is because of Lane Kiffin's downfall at USC, but Mora deserves plenty of credit. The Bruins have nine wins this year for the second season in a row, and they can reach 10 with a victory over Virginia Tech in the Sun Bowl. His recruiting has been among the best in the Pac-12, and since he's already in L.A., he knows how to deal with the kind of media scrutiny that would come with the Texas job.

Mora is a Washington alum and once spent a year as an assistant on the Huskies staff, but when that head coaching job opened up a few weeks ago, he didn't have any interest in returning to his alma mater. Texas is a much bigger job than Washington -- and it's bigger than UCLA, too -- but Mora recently signed a six-year extension with the Bruins and seems to be happy in Southern California.

Jim Harbaugh, San Francisco 49ers

This might be the best name on the list, even better than Saban. Harbaugh is the one who turned Stanford into a Pac-12 power, and since taking over the 49ers, he's returned San Francisco to the NFL's top tier. The Niners were 6-10 in 2010, but Harbaugh immediately turned them around to 13-3, reaching the second round of the playoffs and winning Coach of the Year honors in the process. It was San Fran's first postseason appearance since 2002. Last year, Harbaugh's team advanced to the Super Bowl, and it's primed for another playoff run this season.

And this was all after taking Stanford from a seven-year bowl drought to a BCS bowl win.

ESPN's Colin Cowherd said Harbaugh would have taken the USC job if offered (and while Cowherd isn't known for breaking news, he's very connected to USC), and if that's really the case, it's not a stretch to think the head coach would consider moving to Austin. But with success building Stanford and in the NFL, would taking over at Texas be a step down? Harbaugh would likely have to have a significant preference for the college game in order to leave the 49ers for the Longhorns.

Barking Carnival wrote this before Saban re-upped with Alabama:
Given the more or less common knowledge of the tension between Harbaugh and young 49ers team president Jed York and GM Trent Baalke -- including Harbaugh puzzlingly turning down a two-year extension to his contract -- it's pretty plain that Harbaugh is currently receptive to different employment options.

If it sounds insane for a highly respected NFL coach with an elite young team to even consider moving because he's unhappy with his surroundings, then you don't know Jim Harbaugh very well. There's walking to the beat of your own drummer and then there's pushing the drummer down, smashing his drums, and walking off of the road.

Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State

Gundy's overall record at Oklahoma State is outstanding. 77-36 over nine years (OSU started 12-15 under Gundy), but 41-9 over his last four years (including two Big 12 titles -- you know, the same number as the guy who has coached SIXTEEN YEARS at TEXAS). Though Oklahoma State has some financial and facility resources courtesy of T. Boone Pickens, they're still the No. 2 school in a state with a paucity of FBS recruits and a clear step below neighboring OU, Texas, A&M, and LSU in the program potential power rankings. And the recruiting rankings bear that out. This is a program clearly overachieving.

Gundy nearly left Oklahoma State for Tennessee last year, so pulling him away from his alma mater isn't out of the question, especially since his staff sees Texas' advantages up close on the recruiting trail every day. Whether he'd choose to leave at this point is another question.

Nick Saban, Alabama

Yep, the guy who signed a new deal just two days ago will remain part of the conversation until Texas' next coach is giving his introductory presser.

Mark Dantonio, Michigan State. This is a dark horse to consider. (And only in this search would Dantonio be considered a dark horse.) Dantonio has led Michigan State to 11 wins in three of the past four years – and to the Big Ten title in 2013 – with a never-fail, old-as-football-itself system: run the football, protect the football, makes plays downfield, hit the quarterback, jam up receivers, tackle, convert on special teams. If not as big-time as Saban, not as trendy as Fisher, not as local as Gundy or as explosive as Malzahn, Dantonio would put the bread and butter back in Texas football.

Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora)
So, just to make sure this is clear: I hear Texas has interest in Sean Payton. Don't think he'd leave. But that's how high they're aiming

Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M

Yes, Sumlin has a $5 million buyout and makes $5 million a year. But that's pocket change for Texas. So can you imagine the joy that Longhorn fans would feel in stealing away the state's hottest coaching star? Especially since that Aggie little brother has surpassed Texas as the preeminent program in the Lone Star state, what better way to strike at the heart of a rival?

Major Applewhite, Texas (OC)

Todd Graham, ASU. Do you even have to ask? Just because of his connection to AD Steve Patterson.

Will Muschamp, Florida

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/12/14/texas-football-coach-opening-mike-gundy-jimbo-fisher/4012495/
http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/travis-top-candidates-to-replace-mack-brown-at-texas-121413
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/12/15/5197508/texas-football-coaching-search-candidates

Texecutioner
12-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Gundy, Shaw, O'Brian, and Tomlin would all be great choices. Look forward to seeing who they get.

bah007
12-15-2013, 01:41 PM
I really think most Texas fans are going to end up disappointed when the new coach is named. 10 of those 16 names we have zero shot at. I have no problem with us gauging interest but let's not get our hopes up.

I really don't care how big the name is. I would just like a coach who has more to offer in game and doesn't have to lean on his assistants so much.

bah007
12-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Gundy, Shaw, O'Brian, and Tomlin would all be great choices. Look forward to seeing who they get.

O'Brien is probably my top choice.

htownfan32
12-15-2013, 01:45 PM

O'Brien is eyeing the NFL. I think he might end up here or in Minnesota.

Texecutioner
12-15-2013, 01:51 PM
I really think most Texas fans are going to end up disappointed when the new coach is named. 10 of those 16 names we have zero shot at. I have no problem with us gauging interest but let's not get our hopes up.

I really don't care how big the name is. I would just like a coach who has more to offer in game and doesn't have to lean on his assistants so much.

YOu might be correct Bah. I will be happy just to see a new regime. And if this new regime doesn't get going after about 4 or 5 years, then they should find another hot name. I don't think it's healthy for a team to keep a HC way to long if they aren't keeping their team amongst the top contending Universities every year. Sure, teams can have down years here and there or even two or so, but the great coaches always bounce back and re-load with great talent and get their teams clicking. Bob Stoops has always done that at Oklahoma which has been a pretty irritating thing to watch for me as a Texas fan. Guys like Saban and Meyer seem to be able to keep their teams at a very high level as well.

I just hope they don't give the next guy a ridiculously long leash. He should get a fair one on par with what most big time Universities give to other guys when they go to a new job.

Texecutioner
12-15-2013, 01:52 PM

He is mine for both the Texans and the Horns. It would be nice to just clone him and use him for both. :clap:

Very well put.

bah007
12-15-2013, 01:55 PM
He is mine for both the Texans and the Horns. It would be nice to just clone him and use him for both. :clap:

Very well put.

Would be nice for both organizations to have a HC that recognizes and develops QB talent.

Playoffs
12-15-2013, 02:30 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif
With speculation already swirling about the now-open UT head coaching job, it's time to come to terms with the fact that Art Briles will be mentioned as a candidate for the job and there's nothing any of us can do about that. (http://www.ourdailybears.com/baylor-bears-football/2013/12/15/5213120/12-15-2013-daily-bears-report-lets-talk-about-art-briles)

bah007
12-15-2013, 02:40 PM
I posted this in the Mack Brown thread but I'll post it here too.

Realistic options among current FBS Head Coaches:

Art Briles - Baylor
Todd Graham - Arizona St
Charlie Strong - Louisville
Bill O'Brien - Penn St
James Franklin - Vanerbilt
Bobby Petrino - Western Kentucky
Bronco Mendenhall - BYU

You also have a whole slew of top NFL and FBS coordinators who could be potential candidates but I figure a school like Texas would want to go after a top head coach.

Texecutioner
12-15-2013, 02:41 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif
With speculation already swirling about the now-open UT head coaching job, it's time to come to terms with the fact that Art Briles will be mentioned as a candidate for the job and there's nothing any of us can do about that. (http://www.ourdailybears.com/baylor-bears-football/2013/12/15/5213120/12-15-2013-daily-bears-report-lets-talk-about-art-briles)

Would love to get Briles. Don't think he'd entertain it at this point though.

bah007
12-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Would love to get Briles. Don't think he'd entertain it at this point though.

Agree. Waco's gotta be pretty cozy for him right now.

Stemp
12-15-2013, 03:43 PM
No go on Malzahn and Fischer as they are getting ready to play in the MNC game and won't be able to interview before. Texas can't afford to wait that long.
Shaw is also likely No because he has WAY to many ties to Stanford.
Franklin is hot, but I don't think he'll be targeted because they've said they want someone who has won a MNC or Super Bowl.

Actually, I've heard the top target right now is actually Les Miles.That would be a big get for them.

Texecutioner
12-15-2013, 03:47 PM
What about Sumlin?? :shades:

I would hate to get Les Miles.

bah007
12-15-2013, 07:02 PM
If I'm Miles, leaving LSU for Texas seems like a sideways move.

Playoffs
12-15-2013, 08:49 PM
More candidates to Replace Mack Brown at Texas
Pat Fitzgerald, head coach, Northwestern
As a former Northwestern player, it’s difficult to see Fitzgerald leaving Evanston. But if he was looking to leave, Texas may be the only job that tempts the 39-year-old coach. The Wildcats are 55-46 under Fitzgerald’s watch and had a streak of five consecutive bowl appearances from 2008-12. Northwestern – much like Vanderbilt or Duke – is a tough place to consistently win at a top 10-15 level. Again, it’s unlikely Fitzgerald will ever leave Northwestern, but he would be a home-run hire for Texas.

Al Golden, head coach, Miami
Miami is a top-25 job, but the Hurricanes simply lack the resources of a place like Texas. Even though Golden seems content at Miami and guided the program through the Nevin Shapiro scandal, the New Jersey native would at least have to listen if Texas calls. Golden helped to resurrect Temple’s football program, recording a 27-34 mark in five seasons with the Owls. Temple played in one bowl game and earned back-to-back winning records with Golden leading the way. In three years at Miami, Golden is 22-14 and has a 10-6 mark in ACC play over the last two seasons.

Bill O’Brien, head coach, Penn State
O’Brien inherited a difficult situation at Penn State. The program was hit by NCAA sanctions due to the Jerry Sandusky scandal, and there was plenty of uncertainty about which players might transfer to another program due to the postseason ban. In two years, O’Brien is 15-9 and Penn State has back-to-back winning records under his watch. O’Brien also has NFL experience, spending 2007-11 as an assistant with the Patriots. The Nittany Lions are getting some relief from the scholarship sanctions, but the bowl ban for the next two years is still in place. O’Brien interviewed with the Browns last season, and his name will likely come up in coaching searches over the next few years.

Gary Patterson, head coach, TCU
Much like the other coaches on this list, Patterson seems unlikely to leave TCU. The Kansas native guided the Horned Frogs on a winding conference journey, starting in the WAC in 2000, continuing with Conference USA from 2001-04, the Mountain West from 2005-11 and the Big 12 in 2012. Transiting from a non-BCS league to a BCS conference is no easy task, but TCU is 11-14 over the last two years and recorded a 7-6 mark in 2012 without its starting quarterback for most of the season. Patterson is known as one of the best defensive coaches in the nation and certainly knows how to recruit the state of Texas. Patterson has a pretty good gig at TCU. But if he wants to upgrade, it’s not easy to turn down the No. 1 program in the nation – and he won’t have to go too far to do it.

Rich Rodriguez, head coach, Arizona
Rodriguez is a good darkhorse candidate for Texas. After a failed three-year stint at Michigan, Rodriguez is 15-10 with two bowl appearances at Arizona. And while the 15-22 record at Michigan is tough to overlook, Rodriguez went 60-26 at West Virginia and was on the doorstep of playing for the national title in 2007. Rodriguez does not have any experience coaching in Texas, but even with a mediocre tenure at Michigan, his overall record is 135-94-2.

Kirby Smart, defensive coordinator, Alabama
Since Texas can’t get Nick Saban, would they settle for a Saban clone? Smart has worked under Saban for eight years, starting in 2004 at LSU and continuing in the NFL with the Dolphins. Smart followed Saban to Alabama in 2007 and has served as the defensive coordinator since 2008. The Crimson Tide’s defense has ranked No. 1 in the SEC in total defense every season since 2008, and this unit led the nation in fewest points allowed in 2011-12. Smart does not have any head coach experience, and most of his background has been in the SEC. The former Georgia defensive back is ready to run his own program, but Texas likely wants a proven commodity to replace Mack Brown.

Les Miles, head coach, LSU
Raise your hand if you would watch Les Miles every day on the Longhorn Network. Yep, that’s what we thought. Miles has one of college football’s top-10 jobs at LSU and is 94-24 in nine years in Baton Rouge. In order to coach at Texas, you have to be good at dealing with boosters and able to put up with the requirements of the Longhorn Network. Both sound like strengths of Miles, but again, it’s unlikely he leaves for Austin.

Longshots

Larry Fedora, head coach, North Carolina
Fedora is a Texas native – College Station to be exact. The 51-year-old coach has stops as an assistant at Baylor, Air Force, MTSU, Florida and Oklahoma State. Fedora has been a head coach for six seasons, recording a 48-29 overall mark. It’s a safe bet Fedora would be interested if offered an opportunity to interview. However, is six combined seasons at Southern Miss and North Carolina enough to interest Texas?

Mark Hudspeth, head coach, Louisiana-Lafayette
With a victory over Tulane in the New Orleans Bowl, Hudspeth will have nine wins in each of his first three seasons at Louisiana-Lafayette. Hudspeth is clearly a rising star, but Texas is probably looking for someone with more experience as a head coach.

Tim DeRuyter, head coach, Fresno State
DeRuyter is 20-5 in two seasons at Fresno State and went 1-0 as Texas A&M’s interim coach in 2011. The California native is due for a promotion to run a BCS program, but he is unlikely to be in the mix at Texas.

Hugh Freeze, head coach, Ole Miss
Freeze’s contract was upgraded this offseason by Ole Miss. Would that be enough to stop him from leaving? In two years with the Rebels, Freeze is 14-11 and went 10-2 for Arkansas State in 2011. Freeze’s record at Ole Miss isn’t particularly overwhelming, but he inherited a team that went 6-18 in the two seasons prior to his arrival. The Rebels reeled in a top-10 recruiting class this year and after back-to-back seven-win seasons, the program is on the right track.

Jerry Gray, defensive coordinator, Tennessee Titans
Gray is a former Texas player and worked on Mack Brown’s staff in 2011. However, despite his ties to the university, Gray is an extreme longshot candidate for the position. The Titans rank No. 9 in the NFL in total defense, but Gray has never worked as a head coach on the college or pro level.

Chad Morris, offensive coordinator, Clemson
It’s only a matter of time before Morris gets a chance to be a head coach in a BCS conference. The Texas native was a successful high school coach prior to taking over at Tulsa as an offensive coordinator in 2010. After one season with the Golden Hurricane, Morris was hired by Dabo Swinney to coordinate Clemson’s offense. Over the last three years, the Tigers have ranked first or second in the ACC in total offense.

Pat Narduzzi, defensive coordinator, Michigan State
Narduzzi was in the mix to be the coach at Connecticut, but he turned down an opportunity to lead the Huskies for another year at Michigan State. Narduzzi does not have head coaching experience, which would seem to be a major drawback for Texas. However, there’s no denying Narduzzi is one of the best defensive coordinators in college football.
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/10-candidates-replace-mack-brown-texas#sthash.ggxDuGq3.dpuf

Dutchrudder
12-15-2013, 08:56 PM
You guys just need a football coach and talent developer, something you haven't had in many years. The recruiting will take care of itself, especially if the new coach is willing to entertain taking more than one QB each year.

WolverineFan
12-15-2013, 10:51 PM
You guys just need a football coach and talent developer, something you haven't had in many years. The recruiting will take care of itself, especially if the new coach is willing to entertain taking more than one QB each year.

This. Texas recruits itself. Find a guy who can develop and utilize talent.

ArlingtonTexan
12-15-2013, 11:06 PM
This. Texas recruits itself. Find a guy who can develop and utilize talent.

This sort arrogance is what keeps Texas from walking with the true big boys of college football. The big timers don't take their spit for granted and recruit hard like they are TCU or Baylor.

Two of the last three Heisman trophy winners played football less two hours from Mack Brown's office and third (rumored) wanted to talk to Texas but could not get the Longhorns to respond.

Playoffs
12-15-2013, 11:16 PM
This sort arrogance is what keeps Texas from walking with the true big boys of college football...

Signed, Andrew Luck, RG3, Johnny Manziel, Jameis Winston, et cetera.

Dan B.
12-15-2013, 11:24 PM
This sort arrogance is what keeps Texas from walking with the true big boys of college football. The big timers don't take their spit for granted and recruit hard like they are TCU or Baylor.

Two of the last three Heisman trophy winners played football less two hours from Mack Brown's office and third (rumored) wanted to talk to Texas but could not get the Longhorns to respond.

I think what he's saying is that Texas needs to look for more of an x's and o's guy than a back slapper. Considering Brown missed out on those two Heisman winners despite being the supposed smiling master of recruiting, I think he has a point.

What about Dantoni at Michigan State? I'd love to get a hard nosed defensive guru in Austin and find a good offensive mind to be OC.

LonerATO
12-15-2013, 11:30 PM
I would like to see Mora get the job as he has been able to coach-up his players and has succefully switched players to different sides of the ball.

WolverineFan
12-16-2013, 12:04 AM
I think what he's saying is that Texas needs to look for more of an x's and o's guy than a back slapper. Considering Brown missed out on those two Heisman winners despite being the supposed smiling master of recruiting, I think he has a point.

Yes that is what I was saying. I'm not a Texas fan at all, but I acknowledge the fact that you don't have to be a great recruiter to bring good recruits into UT. The school itself garners interest from most of the young talent across the state. Do you still need to be able to recognize talent and close the deal? Yes. But UT needs a Harbaugh-type who can utilize his talent and develop them into good college players.

You're going to get talented players at UT, that's just how it is. But if you can't make the most of that talent then you will fail. Just like Mack has done recently.

bah007
12-16-2013, 09:15 AM
My top three right now would be:

Bill O'Brien - Penn St
Jim Mora - UCLA
Gary Andersen - Wisconsin

Problem is that there are significant obstacles to overcome to get any of them.

Texecutioner
12-16-2013, 07:37 PM

Bill O'Brien - Penn St
Jim Mora - UCLA

Starting to warm up to Jim Mora Jr.

Playoffs
12-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Assessing the odds on Texas search

Jeremy Fowler (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jeremy-fowler/24378863/coaching-changes-daily-assessing-the-odds-on-texas-search)

The country's highest-profile coaching search + Vegas odds = unadulterated Internet heaven...Below are the recent odds released by @BovadaLV, which is seriously pumping Charlie Strong, along with my take on each...
Charlie Strong (2/1): Disagree. Great coach and recruiter, but just seems like an odd fit. He can either stay at Louisville or wait out Florida, where he has a long history and a good relationship with the people there. Louisville AD Tom Jurich isn't about to be outbid. Strong's mild-mannered. Can coach in shadows at Louisville -- and make nearly $4M a year doing so.

Art Briles (9/2): Disagree. No doubt Texas was part of the conversation when Briles and Baylor finalized a contract extension last month worth more than $4 million per year. Both parties already got what they wanted. Bailing on Baylor before unveiling the new stadium that he built would be a tough sell for a guy with a soul like Briles. Maybe I'm naive. Just don't see it.

James Franklin (5/1): Agree. In the next few weeks, expect Franklin to be in the conversation. It's a good time for him to consider a job like this. Texas could use an injection of youth and energy. Franklin oozes that much. Making $3-plus million per year at Vandy isn't a bad gig, either.

Mike Gundy (7/1): Agree. In fact, maybe Gundy's odds should be a bit stronger here. Monday's "Coaching Changes Daily" post outlined why Gundy makes a ton of sense at UT -- if you can get past his 1-8 record vs. Oklahoma.

Bill O'Brien (15/2): Disagree. Could be wrong, but my guess is Penn State or NFL for O'Brien. According to CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora, O'Brien carries huge NFL cachet. Penn State is a better job than the scholarship reductions indicate. Because of the restrictions, O'Brien doesn't have to win big every year.

Chip Kelly (10/1): Disagree. He has a better job. This isn't Bobby Petrino 2.0. The Eagles are actually pretty good. Kelly left Oregon to test his mettle in the NFL. One year isn't enough of a sample size for that. There were whispers that Kelly brushed off simple booster duties at Oregon. Now he wants to handle the Longhorn Network?

David Shaw (10/1): Disagree. He's just so adamant about being a Stanford guy. Hard to believe all coaches, but Shaw seems sincere about his desire to stay.

Jim Mora (10/1): Agree. UCLA probably thought Washington was the only fire it'd have to put out. If Texas has Mora on its short list, this orange might be hard to extinguish. Mora fits the profile -- high energy, good with boosters, good talent evaluator, would have more resources than at UCLA. If he's interested, I could see this one.

Jimbo Fisher (15/1): Agree. I'm surprised these odds aren't stronger in Fisher's favor. FSU dropped the ball not raising Fisher's pay after last season. Will he remember that when UT calls? FSU has tried to ease concerns with a recent extension to $4.25 million per year, and my guess is the Seminoles will fight to keep their guy. Win or lose in Pasadena, Fisher's roster for 2014 will be loaded and will be hard to leave.

Jim Harbaugh (20/1): Disagree. Has one of the best jobs in all of football. Zero chance.

Mike Tomlin (20/1): Disagree. Zero chance. Just don't see it.

Blake
12-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Would have loved Briles. But he wants to stay put.

Guz Malzahn has done a great job with Auburn over the past 3 years. Could be a candidate worth interviewing.

What about Musschamp? I think he could be a potential candidate here. He knows everyone and they know him.

Stemp
12-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Would have loved Briles. But he wants to stay put.

Guz Malzahn has done a great job with Auburn over the past 3 years. Could be a candidate worth interviewing.

What about Musschamp? I think he could be a potential candidate here. He knows everyone and they know him.

Malzahn won't be able to interview till after the BCS MNC game. Not sure texas would wait that long to interview plus Malzahn already signed an extention with Auburn.

Muschamp is on the hot seat at Florida and not a hot commodity.

Blake
12-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Malzahn won't be able to interview till after the BCS MNC game. Not sure texas would wait that long to interview plus Malzahn already signed an extention with Auburn.

What was the extension?

Muschamp is on the hot seat at Florida and not a hot commodity.

Good. That means we can get him for cheaper from Florida!

Stemp
12-18-2013, 12:55 PM
What was the extension?

However, Malzahn and Auburn agreed to terms on a six-year contract extension this month, a deal that has built in raises and will pay $5.1 million in base salary during its final year. Even notorious nomads Bobby Petrino and Todd Graham would raise their eyebrows if he decided to leave right after signing a new deal.

Good. That means we can get him for cheaper from Florida!
The fanbase would riot if they hired Muschamp. I don't even think he's on the radar.

Blake
12-18-2013, 12:59 PM
The fanbase would riot if they hired Muschamp. I don't even think he's on the radar.

Thanks for the info about Malzahn. We dont know who is on their radar. At this point it could be Gary Kubiak and Mike Shanahan.

bah007
12-18-2013, 01:36 PM
They pretty much can't hire Muschamp after the season that Florida just had.

I love him as a D Coordinator but he's shown less than all these other candidates as a HC.

Playoffs
12-18-2013, 01:39 PM
This is becoming a game of musical chairs, and the only guy without a chair is...

Gary Kubiak. :fingergun:

Playoffs
12-18-2013, 06:11 PM
This is who I'm pulling for. I don't care about the logistics, and cost shouldn't be an issue. This is an offensive mind that few can rival, imo, in an era of exploding offenses. Hopefully Patterson sees same and ignores whatever other beauty contests others might want to impose on a UT HC hire.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images/team_logos/50x50/texas_longhorns.png
Gus Malzahn, Auburn

Malzahn was born in Texas. He spent much of his early career in nearby Arkansas. He's winning national coach of the year awards. In an era of offense-first football, Malzahn is perhaps the best offensive mind around.

During its year between his stints at Auburn, the Tigers averaged 18.7 points and 305.0 yards per game on its way to a 3-9 record. This season, the Tigers are 12-1, SEC champions and set to play Florida State in the BCS Championship Game. The offense has exploded for 40.2 points and 505.3 yards per contest, and Auburn's 335.7 rushing yards per game leads the nation.

Malzahn might be the hottest head coach in America right now, and Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel recently reported that Texas is his "dream job." However, Malzahn and Auburn agreed to terms on a six-year contract extension this month, a deal that has built in raises and will pay $5.1 million in base salary during its final year. Even notorious nomads Bobby Petrino and Todd Graham would raise their eyebrows if he decided to leave right after signing a new deal.

Texecutioner
12-18-2013, 07:05 PM
They pretty much can't hire Muschamp after the season that Florida just had.

I love him as a D Coordinator but he's shown less than all these other candidates as a HC.

I disagree. If Muschamp would have stayed and got his HC in waiting spot now, I think he'd do well at Texas. He has only been at Florida for what two years? He didn't do that bad in his first season. They were top 10 for a while without his players and without a good QB as well. I'd love to get the guy back honestly. I know they won't, but I find it silly that he was this GOD over at Texas for a while and he left for a big HC job and after two seasons that weren't spectacular, he is now a guy that is considered some lame duck HC that shouldn't even be considered. If he does get fired at FLorida eventually, I'd love to get him back as the DC. The guy brought fire, intensity, and revitalized the Longhorns after two seasons where they Horns didn't look like they were going to become dominant again.

Texecutioner
12-18-2013, 07:06 PM
This is becoming a game of musical chairs, and the only guy without a chair is...

Gary Kubiak. :fingergun:

He will end up as Texas A&M's HC once Sumlin leaves.

Dutchrudder
12-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Malzahn with the RBs that Texas can recruit would be scary. Even with that retard Mack Brown recruiting the last few years, he has still found a lot of talent at RB. I doubt Gus leaves Auburn, but if he does.... woooooow! That would be a great hire for Texas.

Texecutioner
12-18-2013, 07:35 PM
This is who I'm pulling for. I don't care about the logistics, and cost shouldn't be an issue. This is an offensive mind that few can rival, imo, in an era of exploding offenses. Hopefully Patterson sees same and ignores whatever other beauty contests others might want to impose on a UT HC hire.

I can't argue with any of this. He is a good candidate.

Playoffs
12-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Texas athletic director forms eight-member coach search committee (http://tracking.si.com/2013/12/18/texas-search-committee/)
Texas athletic director Steve Patterson has appointed an eight-person advisory search committee to replace Mack Brown, the school announced Wednesday.

The school also has retained the executive recruiting firm Korn/Ferry for the search to hire a new head football coach.

The eight search committee members, according to UT — per the Austin American Statesman – are:

Steve Hicks, vice chair of the Board of Regents, one of the board’s athletics liaisons, and owner and executive chairman of Capstar Partners LLC, a private investment firm.
Robert Stillwell, member of the Board of Regents, one of the board’s athletics liaisons, retired partner at Baker Botts LLP and an original director of Mesa Petroleum Co.
Michael Clement, accounting professor, McCombs School of Business at UT Austin, and faculty representative to the Men’s and Women’s Athletics Councils.
Ricardo Hinojosa, United States federal judge for the Southern District of Texas, former member of the university’s Commission of 125.
Charles Matthews, former vice president and general counsel of Exxon Mobil, current president of the Texas Exes.
Robert Rowling, former member of the Board of Regents and owner and chairman of TRT Holdings Inc.
Charles Tate, chairman of Capital Royalty, former member of the executive committee of the university’s Commission of 125.
Pamela Willeford, former U.S. ambassador to Switzerland and Liechtenstein and former chair of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

I think adding the Ambassador to Liechtenstein is going to put us over the top. :truck:

bah007
12-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Sooo which of those committee members is an expert on football?..

This is just like Texas. Would you use a panel of eight football coaches to select the next CEO of Exxon?

I bet Korn/Ferry is doing all the work and the rest of those people are just getting their names in the paper. Thanks for your donations!!

Stemp
12-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Sooo which of those committee members is an expert on football?..

This is just like Texas. Would you use a panel of eight football coaches to select the next CEO of Exxon?

I bet Korn/Ferry is doing all the work and the rest of those people are just getting their names in the paper. Thanks for your donations!!

It's pretty much the same committee that hired him a few months ago.

michaelm
12-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Like him or hate him, Patterson is no dummy. I have no issue with his methodology.

Playoffs
12-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Paul Finebaum on ESPN is focusing on Jimbo Fisher, Jim Mora, and James Franklin fwiw.

michaelm
12-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Very little news on the HC search as far as I've heard. That could confirm that their candidate (or candidates) is the current HC of a bowl team.

Gus Malzahn, please.

I don't care about the extension, or the money, or basically anything else. Horns need to make this happen, IMO.

Texian
12-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Paul Finebaum on ESPN is focusing on Jimbo Fisher, Jim Mora, and James Franklin fwiw.

My money would be on Jimbo.

Stemp
12-30-2013, 12:29 PM
My money would be on Jimbo.

FSU is giving Fisher an updated contract worth $6M per year, which will be enough to keep him with what he has coming back.

My bet is Franklin or Strong at this point.

Texian
12-30-2013, 12:36 PM
FSU is giving Fisher an updated contract worth $6M per year, which will be enough to keep him with what he has coming back.

My bet is Franklin or Strong at this point.

Has he signed it?

Stemp
12-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Has he signed it?

He won't sign anything till after the bowl game.
SOP

Texian
12-30-2013, 12:59 PM
He won't sign anything till after the bowl game.
SOP

OK then, the answer to the question that we won't know until next week is, Will He?

stingray
12-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Schiano would be a good fit at UT.

Playoffs
12-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Kinda get the feeling UT is that guy who waited too long to get a New Years Eve date and has been frantically calling every girl in his phone book and taking bullet after bullet. http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/000woowoo/Smilies/smiley-vault-misc-139.gif

Stemp
12-30-2013, 01:59 PM
OK then, the answer to the question that we won't know until next week is, Will He?

You won't know anything for sure till the coach is announced at the PC.

However, Texas thought it had a good chance to sign Fisher because FSU offered an extension of just of $4M per year and Texas was offering $6-7M per year. Now, as with Saban and others, the agent has gone back to FSU and gotten them to pony up enough catch to convince him to stay, so it doesn't look good for the school trying to lure him away.

Playoffs
12-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
16 years. 1 losing season. Thanks, Mack. #hookem

Texian
12-30-2013, 09:14 PM
You won't know anything for sure till the coach is announced at the PC.

However, Texas thought it had a good chance to sign Fisher because FSU offered an extension of just of $4M per year and Texas was offering $6-7M per year. Now, as with Saban and others, the agent has gone back to FSU and gotten them to pony up enough catch to convince him to stay, so it doesn't look good for the school trying to lure him away.

I have to ask, do you know for a fact that the agent went back to FSU? Could it have been FSU and FSU booster offering without the agent? And why would the agent only ask for $6 million from FSU if he's getting $7 million from Texas as advertised?

Stemp
12-30-2013, 10:13 PM
I have to ask, do you know for a fact that the agent went back to FSU? Could it have been FSU and FSU booster offering without the agent? And why would the agent only ask for $6 million from FSU if he's getting $7 million from Texas as advertised?

No one knows for fact, but reports from Texas and FSU sources seem to indicate this. And does it really matter if the agent went to FSU or if FSU went to his agent to get bigger numbers? At some point Fisher's agent probably told FSU the numbers being floated by Texas and FSU talked to his agent and worked out what it would likely take to keep him since they don't have as deep pockets.

Fisher has a good thing going at FSU and is loaded for NC runs for the next couple of years, whilst Texas would be a rebuild and their boosters and fans would expect fast results, especially after seeing Auburn do it and if their new coach is being paid $6-7M per year.

Tailgate
12-31-2013, 07:57 AM
Kinda get the feeling UT is that guy who waited too long to get a New Years Eve date and has been frantically calling every girl in his phone book and taking bullet after bullet. http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/000woowoo/Smilies/smiley-vault-misc-139.gif

Why in the world would they rush anything right now?

Texian
12-31-2013, 09:22 AM
No one knows for fact, but reports from Texas and FSU sources seem to indicate this. And does it really matter if the agent went to FSU or if FSU went to his agent to get bigger numbers? At some point Fisher's agent probably told FSU the numbers being floated by Texas and FSU talked to his agent and worked out what it would likely take to keep him since they don't have as deep pockets.

Fisher has a good thing going at FSU and is loaded for NC runs for the next couple of years, whilst Texas would be a rebuild and their boosters and fans would expect fast results, especially after seeing Auburn do it and if their new coach is being paid $6-7M per year.

Now we know, Fisher has signed his new agreement: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/12/31/florida-state-jimbo-fisher-new-contract/4261255/

Blake
12-31-2013, 09:47 AM

UT Football doesnt have to call the girls. They call UT.

Stemp
12-31-2013, 10:05 AM
UT Football doesnt have to call the girls. They call UT.

And say "thanks for showing interest. It got my current boyfriend to get me a ring" :lol:

I've never seen this many coaches get raises and extensions just by bein rumored as a target by a school. I'm sure texas will get a good coach but it seems now that all the big splash, home run hires are off the board.

Tailgate
12-31-2013, 11:05 AM
And say "thanks for showing interest. It got my current boyfriend to get me a ring" :lol:

I've never seen this many coaches get raises and extensions just by bein rumored as a target by a school. I'm sure texas will get a good coach but it seems now that all the big splash, home run hires are off the board.

Its called agents doing their job and leveraging one of the premier jobs in football. And anyone of these big names would most certainly entertain the idea, but the timing has to be right too.

Texian
12-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe 2m

Jimbo Fisher's new deal is not expected to include increased buyout. Buyout not a factor for Texas anyway.

FSU views signing of new deal as strong 2-way commitment. But don't eliminate possibility of deliberate Texas.

Blake
12-31-2013, 01:29 PM

Its called agents doing their job and leveraging one of the premier jobs in football. And anyone of these big names would most certainly entertain the idea, but the timing has to be right too.

Exactly. The coach gets more money, and the school gets more mega money if the coach leaves. Win-win for them.

Uncle Rico
01-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Charlie Strong would be a great hire. He succeeded at Louisville with marginal talent, imagine what he can do in a hotbed like Texas.

TexansFTW
01-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Charlie Strong would be a great hire. He succeeded at Louisville with marginal talent, imagine what he can do in a hotbed like Texas.

I second this.

Pollardized
01-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Why would anyone want to coach at tu?

TexansFTW
01-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Money and Texas recruits... and more money

Playoffs
01-02-2014, 06:39 PM
More bullets taken...

Chip Brown ‏@ChipBrownOB
Multiple sources tell http://bit.ly/2ENVsd Texas' coaching search focus now squarely on UCLA's Jim Mora.

Stemp
01-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Yup. Briles didn't even interview yet.

Mora is a Patterson hire

Marshall
01-02-2014, 07:03 PM

Because they think they can buy a winner.

ATXtexanfan
01-02-2014, 07:08 PM
More bullets taken...

Chip Brown ‏@ChipBrownOB

hmmm.... kinda was thinking the new coach would be a wild card. not one of the huge names thrown around

michaelm
01-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Because they they can buy a winner.

fify

Stemp
01-02-2014, 08:08 PM
hmmm.... kinda was thinking the new coach would be a wild card. not one of the huge names thrown around

Mora isn't a huge name.

Potentially solid hire but certainly not a big splash or home run

bah007
01-02-2014, 08:29 PM

Bill O'Brien - Penn St
Jim Mora - UCLA

On to option #2.

badboy
01-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Because they think they can buy a winner.

Sort of like McNair ?

beerlover
01-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Urban Meyer would be a home run, love or hate him dude knows how to build & run a powerhouse.

Blake
01-03-2014, 07:09 AM
Urban Meyer would be a home run, love or hate him dude knows how to build & run a powerhouse.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Urban Meyer is the coach for people who are OK selling their soul to win football games.

FirstTexansFan
01-03-2014, 07:38 AM
I'd see if Fred Akers or John Mackovic are available :kitten:

steelbtexan
01-03-2014, 07:51 AM
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Urban Meyer is the coach for people who are OK selling their soul to win football games.

A man who's all about winning is selling your soul?

Give me a winner like Meyer any day. Do they keep score for a reason?

Tailgate
01-03-2014, 08:16 AM

Is that a joke?

Playoffs
01-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Matt Miller ‏
Son of a... RT @McMurphyESPN: Jameis Winston said his high school coach called Texas 5 times. "I tried to call (Mack Brown) couple of times"
:specnatz:

htownfan32
01-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Isn't Texas' new AD from ASU? Is the ASU coach in the running at all?

Stemp
01-03-2014, 11:41 AM

There was an agreement that he wouldn't poach coaches he hired for ASU

Mr. White
01-03-2014, 11:47 AM

I hope to God that whore of a coach never sets foot in Texas again except to get beat in football games.

Texian
01-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 8m

UCLA coach Jim Mora says he won't be going to Texas, after reports surfaced Thursday of discussions. http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-ucla-texas-jim-mora-stays-20140103,0,5820044.story …

Stemp
01-03-2014, 11:59 AM
FWST: Breaking: No one wants to coach at Texas (http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/mac-engel/2014/01/breaking-no-one-wants-to-coach-texas.html)

Playoffs
01-03-2014, 12:13 PM
FWST: Breaking: No one wants to coach at Texas (http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/mac-engel/2014/01/breaking-no-one-wants-to-coach-texas.html)

TheOnion @notreallyTheOnion
Mack Brown rejects offer from University of Texas to return as Head Coach at increased salary.

WolverineFan
01-03-2014, 12:41 PM

So is it down to Strong, Shaw, or Franklin?

IMO, Franklin will be locked into Penn State > Texas and Shaw has declined NFL teams to stay at Stanford so he's not an option.

So looks like Strong will be the next HC....:kitten:

Texian
01-03-2014, 12:59 PM

or JIMBO

Mr. White
01-03-2014, 01:01 PM
I expect every name that gets mentioned will issue a denial right after they set up an interview time.

TexansSeminole
01-03-2014, 01:02 PM
or JIMBO

Good luck with that.

Stemp
01-03-2014, 01:48 PM
or JIMBO

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Marshall
01-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Is that a joke?

I wouldn't think so.

Texian
01-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Paul Finebaum ‏@finebaum 44m

. @BDavisAAS tells us that he believes three candidates are still potentially in mix for Texas job... Charlie Strong, Saban & Jimbo Fisher

Stemp
01-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Paul Finebaum ‏@finebaum 44m

. @BDavisAAS tells us that he believes three candidates are still potentially in mix for Texas job... Charlie Strong, Saban & Jimbo Fisher

So someone at the Austin paper, who likely has no inroads with patterson yet, thinks saban and Fisher are still a legitimate targets

That is based on the big donors wish list. There are 4 or 5 factions trying to push the guy they want. Hell red mccombs was trying to work a deal for gruden. Lol

Texian
01-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Good luck with that.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So someone at the Austin paper, who likely has no inroads with patterson yet, thinks saban and Fisher are still a legitimate targets

That is based on the big donors wish list. There are 4 or 5 factions trying to push the guy they want. Hell red mccombs was trying to work a deal for gruden. Lol

If the Texans wanted to hire Strong or Franklin they could've done that already. The fact that they haven't suggest they are patiently waiting for Jimbo.

Stemp
01-03-2014, 05:11 PM
If the Texans wanted to hire Strong or Franklin they could've done that already. The fact that they haven't suggest they are patiently waiting for Jimbo.

Or that every other person they have started to focus in on decides to decline.

Follow

Bobby Burton
‏@BobbyBurton247
High-ranking official if decision was between Strong and Franklin the decision would come in next 24 hours. "I highly doubt that."

Pollardized
01-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Is that a joke?

No.

Texian
01-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Or that every other person they have started to focus in on decides to decline.

If Strong or Franklin were Texas #1 choice they would've already been hired.

ArlingtonTexan
01-03-2014, 07:20 PM

I have no idea why the boosters at Texas think they need a silly big name. Mack Brown was a good well thought of coach at North Carolina, but was far from being a splashy hire.

They should have been looking and evaluating the Strong, Franklin, whoever else is on the good, productive and upcoming tier instead of chasing names.

Stemp
01-03-2014, 07:23 PM

True,but everyone else they've been reported approaching has said "No thanks" either through the media or by renewing with their current school, including Fisher and saban.

My point? They aren't going to get their first, second, or third choice now,though they will claim they are once the hire is made.

Texian
01-03-2014, 07:54 PM
True,but everyone else they've been reported approaching has said "No thanks" either through the media or by renewing with their current school, including Fisher and saban.

My point? They aren't going to get their first, second, or third choice now,though they will claim they are once the hire is made.

They may, apparently they still have someone(s) they want to talk to and are patiently waiting. Who is left that they would be patiently waiting for? Fisher and Malzhan. If they had given Texas a definite NO THANKS #2 would've already been hired. My gut says it's Fisher and that he's interested and that's why Texas is playing the waiting game.

Stemp
01-03-2014, 08:03 PM
They may, apparently they still have someone(s) they want to talk to and are patiently waiting. Who is left that they would be patiently waiting for? Fisher and Malzhan. If they had given Texas a definite NO THANKS #2 would've already been hired. My gut says it's Fisher and that he's interested and that's why Texas is playing the waiting game.

Problem is that PSU and Miami jobs are open. And if they wait and those top guys decide to stay, they may lose choice 5 or 6 and be left with worse options.

I still find it highly unlikely that Fisher or Saban would sign a new deal with the intent of leaving right after.

It will be interesting to watch regardless. As will the meltdown if Texas waits and ends up not getting their splash guy and the other guys they want sign on elsewhere.

Stemp
01-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Thought I'd share some info that was sent my way via a UT website.

1. I communicated with two people tonight that believe that Texas has decided on who the next coach will be.

2. A source with Louisville ties informs that Charlie Strong believes he's getting the job. Obviously, if we had that confirmed we would report it and we're working non-stop to confirm everything that we can.

FYI...info jibes with Louisville 247 site as well (they think Strong is gone). Looks like multiple sites are hearing the same thing

htownfan32
01-03-2014, 09:54 PM
I don't think Strong would be Texas' first choice but he's certainly not a bad one.

I wish the other university in Texas good luck. There's nothing holding us together (sports-wise, academics is a different story) anymore. The only thing we compete for together is recruits.

Also, I dislike Tech in sports more than UT, so as long as Tech gets beat we're all happy, right? :D

Kaiser Toro
01-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Golden to Penn St, Strong to Miami. Strong owns Miami.

Texian
01-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Chip Brown ‏@ChipBrownOB 14m

Louisville coach Charlie Strong will replace Mack Brown as the head coach at Texas, according to a high-ranking UT source

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 8m

Was just told by a source that #Texas has not made any decision on its head coach. The group is still meeting.

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS 35s

High-ranking UT source says Louisville's Charlie Strong has been offered #Texas job and appears ready to accept. @statesman

Stemp
01-03-2014, 10:52 PM
So much for waiting for Fisher or Saban.

Texian
01-03-2014, 10:54 PM
@SIPeteThamel: High ranking Texas official said Texas and Charlie Strong have agreed. Five years, $5 mill per. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140103/charlie-strong-agrees-texas-longhorns-head-coach/ …

Dutchrudder
01-03-2014, 10:56 PM
So much for waiting for Fisher or Saban.

Strong to be OC?

Texian
01-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Texas will hire Louisville coach Charlie Strong, reports Bobby Burton of Horns247.

Texas athletic director Steve Patterson appeared to target Strong after whiffing on Nick Saban. Patterson was also known to have interviewed Vanderbilt's James Franklin, but it appears that the Commodores' coach finished runner-up.

Yahoo Sports columnist Pat Forde wrote in a column Friday that Strong was "the absolute worst fit for the job" because "he wants to be left alone. That wouldn't fly at Longhorn Network University. If he's hired, you're free to wonder whether the people involved with the search asked the right questions and got the right answers."
Source: Bobby Burton on Twitt

ArlingtonTexan
01-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Texas will hire Louisville coach Charlie Strong, reports Bobby Burton of Horns247.

Texas athletic director Steve Patterson appeared to target Strong after whiffing on Nick Saban. Patterson was also known to have interviewed Vanderbilt's James Franklin, but it appears that the Commodores' coach finished runner-up.

Yahoo Sports columnist Pat Forde wrote in a column Friday that Strong was "the absolute worst fit for the job" because "he wants to be left alone. That wouldn't fly at Longhorn Network University. If he's hired, you're free to wonder whether the people involved with the search asked the right questions and got the right answers."
Source: Bobby Burton on Twitt

interesting because Franklin has reputation as a networker (like Mack) and strong reputation is something other than that.

bah007
01-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Best coach available is more important than best press representative. Strong fulfills that over Franklin. You lose some in the recruiting area but Texas needs an X and O guy more right now.

Texian
01-03-2014, 11:29 PM
interesting because Franklin has reputation as a networker (like Mack) and strong reputation is something other than that.

Mack was the gold standard anytime there was a microphone in front of his face. Never a better ambassador or fund raiser. IMHO I don't think it matters who they hire I'm not sure anyone can meet those standards. There will be complainers and haters regardless.

OK I'm done here for the night. Did my part in keeping board members as informed as I could about all things UT Coach, Bortles and Underclassmen.

Uncle Rico
01-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Superb hire. Strong is supremely underrated by many. That pro offense with 4 star recruits will be nasty. Texas will be relevant again quite soon.

steelbtexan
01-04-2014, 09:16 AM
Superb hire. Strong is supremely underrated by many. That pro offense with 4 star recruits will be nasty. Texas will be relevant again quite soon.

I hope you're right. Atleast with Strong the offense should be much improved. Hopefully recruiting will rebound. I heard that Strong is a great recruiter.

I was a Briles guy. He has inroads with all of the HS coaches.

Uncle Rico
01-04-2014, 09:30 AM
I hope you're right. Atleast with Strong the offense should be much improved. Hopefully recruiting will rebound. I heard that Strong is a great recruiter.

Don't get me started, Briles IS Texas football. He has spent a good amount of time building up Baylor, and I feel strongly that with another lesson learned and one more year of experience that program will vie for the championship next year. Hard to walk away from that.

Watch that Texas QB Ash moving forward, Strong could turn him into a star if the kid has enough IQ to handle the system.

TexansSeminole
01-04-2014, 10:25 AM

Offense? Strong is a defensive guy, so I don't know why the offense would be what would benefit from the hire. He's an excellent defensive coach though and he is a great recruiter with strong ties in South Florida. He is one of the most effective recruiters in the South Florida area, which is great for Texas. I think Strong should have been retained at Florida, only promoted to HC, Florida really messed that situation up IMO.

Texecutioner
01-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Watch that Texas QB Ash moving forward, Strong could turn him into a star if the kid has enough IQ to handle the system.

Yeah, he was so good that A below average Case McCoy took his job from him like three separate times and ended up keeping it. Ash was never even supposed to be a starter at Texas in the first place. Ash won't be setting anything on fire.Lol!

Texn4life
01-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Strong isn't an offensive guy and I doubt he's had much to do with Teddy's development there. He is a great recruiter though so if the deal does go through he will make some noise.

steelbtexan
01-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Offense? Strong is a defensive guy, so I don't know why the offense would be what would benefit from the hire. He's an excellent defensive coach though and he is a great recruiter with strong ties in South Florida. He is one of the most effective recruiters in the South Florida area, which is great for Texas. I think Strong should have been retained at Florida, only promoted to HC, Florida really messed that situation up IMO.

Yep,

But Strong's teams have had prolific offenses and OK defenses. Anything would be better than the current state of the Horns offense.

Goal #1 for Strong should be to find a top notch QB.

Dan B.
01-04-2014, 01:36 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img11/2139/xcsc.gif

WolverineFan
01-04-2014, 01:45 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img11/2139/xcsc.gif

That is great!

keyser
01-05-2014, 09:14 PM
I'm curious how Texas fans are taking the news of Strong? My impression was that people were looking for a "big name" coach (I had heard stuff about only wanting to consider those who coached a national champion, etc., even though I don't think that was realistic). Are people happy/OK/upset? I see Uncle Rico is very happy, but I'm not sure what the overall view is.

Although I'm a fan of a different team, I think Strong is a really good choice, even if he doesn't quite have the established "name" that other coaches might. The only name I'd heard out there that I thought was both realistic and maybe a better choice was Briles.

Blake
01-06-2014, 07:36 AM
I'm curious how Texas fans are taking the news of Strong? My impression was that people were looking for a "big name" coach (I had heard stuff about only wanting to consider those who coached a national champion, etc., even though I don't think that was realistic). Are people happy/OK/upset? I see Uncle Rico is very happy, but I'm not sure what the overall view is.

Although I'm a fan of a different team, I think Strong is a really good choice, even if he doesn't quite have the established "name" that other coaches might. The only name I'd heard out there that I thought was both realistic and maybe a better choice was Briles.

I can only speak for myself obviously, but the notion that Texas fans were looking for a big name or National Title winner is wrong. As a fan I was simply looking for a coach who knows his x's and o's and can evaluate talent while working Texas and Florida.

As for Strong, I am happy with the choice and look forward to seeing him work.

Tailgate
01-06-2014, 07:58 AM

The Saban/Harbaugh crap was a product of social media and message boards. Oh, and agents sure took the opportunity of a spot like Texas being open didnt they? Just doing their job.

Timing is sometimes everything and the timing was perfect for Strong to come to Texas. Great hire. Should get all the top D recruits from the state soon.

OC is a big hire and ability to recruit QBs and develop will be key.

Dutchrudder
01-06-2014, 08:48 AM
The Saban/Harbaugh crap was a product of social media and message boards. Oh, and agents sure took the opportunity of a spot like Texas being open didnt they? Just doing their job.

Timing is sometimes everything and the timing was perfect for Strong to come to Texas. Great hire. Should get all the top D recruits from the state soon.

OC is a big hire and ability to recruit QBs and develop will be key.

So Saban was never offered to be the HC at Texas?

bah007
01-06-2014, 09:01 AM
There were a ton of Texas fans who wanted to make a big splash with a big name. And there are some who are not happy with the hire. But for the most part those are the t shirt fans (of which Texas does have a lot). Most people that I know who follow the program are very happy. Strong brings a lot to the table.

For my part, Strong was my fifth choice. But I am very happy with the decision.

My list was:
Bill O'Brien - now with the Texans
Jim Mora - was offered the job but decided to stay at UCLA
Art Briles - was offered the job but decided to stay at Baylor
Gary Andersen - was never contacted, but I wasn't expecting that he would be
Charlie Strong

Very rarely do you ever get one of the top guys on your list. I think that is especially true at a place like Texas, because the higher profile the job is, the higher profile candidates you will be looking at. I'm just glad they hired a strong football coach instead of making some silly move based on pr.

Stemp
01-06-2014, 09:02 AM
So Saban was never offered to be the HC at Texas?

Saban had a deal but Mack and powers scuttled it by dragging out he process.

Strong is a decent hire but we'll see how he manages the jump. It's really going to depend on the staff he hires as to the success.

bah007
01-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Saban never agreed to come to Texas. His agent played Texas pure and simple.

The allegation that Saban was on his way but Mack ruined it by waiting a few extra days to step down is just one final jab being thrown by people that hate Mack Brown.

Saban was never coming.

Dutchrudder
01-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Saban never agreed to come to Texas. His agent played Texas pure and simple.

The allegation that Saban was on his way but Mack ruined it by waiting a few extra days to step down is just one final jab being thrown by people that hate Mack Brown.

Saban was never coming.

I can agree with that, but was he ever offered the job? Sure seemed like it to me. You would think a competent AD would quell the rumors like that, especially considering how bad it made the organization look before Mack had officially been forced out. I have a hard time believing that he wasn't a candidate and the first choice of at least a few people in power at Texas. If he was never a candidate, then that was a colossal PR cluster****.

bah007
01-06-2014, 09:11 AM
I can agree with that, but was he ever offered the job? Sure seemed like it to me. You would think a competent AD would quell the rumors like that, especially considering how bad it made the organization look before Mack had officially been forced out. I have a hard time believing that he wasn't a candidate and the first choice of at least a few people in power at Texas. If he was never a candidate, then that was a colossal PR cluster****.

I'm sure they offered it to him. If you're Texas you at least make that phone call.

But all that happened was that his agent used Texas' interest to score Saban a raise. The idea that Saban was packed and ready to go but was somehow sabotaged by Mack Brown is false and an outright lie.

Blake
01-06-2014, 09:31 AM
I'm sure they offered it to him. If you're Texas you at least make that phone call.

But all that happened was that his agent used Texas' interest to score Saban a raise. The idea that Saban was packed and ready to go but was somehow sabotaged by Mack Brown is false and an outright lie.

I dont think you can confidently say they offered anything to him. Making the call? Sure. Wanting to talk with him? Sure. But saying that they offered him the keys to the car is just unfounded.

Dutchrudder
01-06-2014, 09:43 AM
I dont think you can confidently say they offered anything to him. Making the call? Sure. Wanting to talk with him? Sure. But saying that they offered him the keys to the car is just unfounded.

Maybe they didn't draw up the paperwork, but having discussions about "What would it take for you to be the next coach of the Univeristy of Texas?" with anyone is a verbal offer to a degree. Even if Saban or whoever wasn't ever gonna leave their current job, they at least had to entertain the idea.

michaelm
01-06-2014, 10:06 AM
I'm curious at the lack of any news or announcement regarding the possible hiring of Strong.
The report came out Friday saying Strong agreed to accept the position, then everything got really quiet.

Maybe the NCAA asked them not to make an announcement that might take attention from the National Championship game?

Dutchrudder
01-06-2014, 10:13 AM
I'm curious at the lack of any news or announcement regarding the possible hiring of Strong.
The report came out Friday saying Strong agreed to accept the position, then everything got really quiet.

Maybe the NCAA asked them not to make an announcement that might take attention from the National Championship game?

It's official, and his first press conference is today at 11am here: http://www.texassports.com/showcase/?Live=138

michaelm
01-06-2014, 10:19 AM
It's official, and his first press conference is today at 11am here: http://www.texassports.com/showcase/?Live=138

Ok, I guess I missed it.

Blake
01-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Maybe they didn't draw up the paperwork, but having discussions about "What would it take for you to be the next coach of the Univeristy of Texas?" with anyone is a verbal offer to a degree. Even if Saban or whoever wasn't ever gonna leave their current job, they at least had to entertain the idea.

Thats the thing. You cant say with any confidence that they called and said "what would it take you to come here?" I was simply agreeing that they may have had conversations about the job.

Playoffs
01-06-2014, 11:06 AM

Man, Patterson dwarfs Strong.

"It's time to put Texas back on the national stage"

Gave all respect to DKR and Mac Brown.

"Devoted to making Austin the state capitol of football again"

"When you have the opportunity to go to the best, you have to put your name in"

IMO not a great speaker, but there's a fire burning in him and a passion that bubbles over.

michaelm
01-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Wow, Charlie Strong is a horrible public speaker. Both his prepared speech and his answers in the Q&A were just awkward.
Sounded like a freaking train wreck.
God, I sure hope he coaches more intelligently than he speaks.

michaelm
01-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Wow, Charlie Strong is a horrible public speaker. Both his prepared speech and his answers in the Q&A were just awkward.

Ok, I was able to watch the last few minutes of the presser on TV and Charlie came across better than he did on the radio. He definitely seemed to have gotten more comfortable at the end and didn't seem to be pressing as much as he did at the beginning.
I think he caught his stride when he was able to start talking about football and football players.
Totally different animal than Mac Brown. He definitely seems to have more fire and passion for the game.

WolverineFan
01-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Ok, I was able to watch the last few minutes of the presser on TV and Charlie came across better than he did on the radio. He definitely seemed to have gotten more comfortable at the end and didn't seem to be pressing as much as he did at the beginning.
I think he caught his stride when he was able to start talking about football and football players.
Totally different animal than Mac Brown. He definitely seems to have more fire and passion for the game.

He was notorious at Louisville for trying to get out of speaking to boosters, giving speeches, politics, etc. He's a great football mind but he seems to hate the behind the scenes head man stuff.

Not sure about the hire because, despite his vast football knowledge, if there is one college job out there that includes as much politicking as coaching it's the Texas job.

Mr. White
01-06-2014, 12:24 PM

I noticed that as well and I have no problem with it whatsoever. I want a guy whose results speak for him, not a salesman like Mack was.

This guy is just what the doctor ordered.

Mr. White
01-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Not sure about the hire because, despite his vast football knowledge, if there is one college job out there that includes as much politicking as coaching it's the Texas job.

From what I hear, Patterson's trying to change the culture over there. It used to be that the boosters used their influence to make the hiring decisions. That's why we ended up with guys like McWilliams and Mackovic in the past.

Patterson didn't even answer their calls before he made this hire.

Dan B.
01-06-2014, 02:46 PM
From what I hear, Patterson's trying to change the culture over there. It used to be that the boosters used their influence to make the hiring decisions. That's why we ended up with guys like McWilliams and Mackovic in the past.

Patterson didn't even answer their calls before he made this hire.

Yup. Rumor is that's why the Strong hire was leaked. Texas offered and Strong accepted, but he wanted to tell his AD & team face to face so we agreed to wait until this week to announce. Jilted donors leaked the news early to sabotage Strong before he could leave on his terms.

Stemp
01-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Yup. Rumor is that's why the Strong hire was leaked. Texas offered and Strong accepted, but he wanted to tell his AD & team face to face so we agreed to wait until this week to announce. Jilted donors leaked the news early to sabotage Strong before he could leave on his terms.

They leaked it because the donors and small fries like to show they are in the know in the program and can't help themselves.
Texas has more leaks in its program than a boat with a screen door bottom.

Blake
01-06-2014, 03:31 PM
They leaked it because the donors and small fries like to show they are in the know in the program and can't help themselves.
Texas has more leaks in its program than a boat with a screen door bottom.

Just need some flex seal!!!

http://flexsealbrite.net/images/flexsealboat.jpg

Wolf
01-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Red mccombs felt like it was a kick to the face with hiring of Strong because boosters know a lot about football

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/prominent-texas-donor-mccombs-bashes-213500524--ncaaf.html

Texecutioner
01-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Strong was not one of my top hopefuls to get hired, but I am not upset by any means by it. I will just wait and see what transpires and how the team plays with the talent and QB they have. So far Mr. Strong seems very straight forward and determined from his body language and his demeanor. I like that. I know very little about him from watching him coach and seeing his decision making on game day. I hear nice things though. Either way I am excited for the new era and the new blood at the leadership position. I hope that Strong is the guy to make this program the Cornerstone that it is supposed to be.

Blake
01-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Was reading an article about the Strong hire and then glanced at the comments to see a huge aTm fan vs Texas fan debate.

Question. Why does aTm fan feel the need to comment on the article and put down Texas fan with silly things like calling them t-sips, tu or upside down hookem symbol? And "we" simply call the Aggies and their fans the Aggies. It comes off as childish, or immature, or jealous.

Stemp
01-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Was reading an article about the Strong hire and then glanced at the comments to see a huge aTm fan vs Texas fan debate.

Question. Why does aTm fan feel the need to comment on the article and put down Texas fan with silly things like calling them t-sips, tu or upside down hookem symbol? And "we" simply call the Aggies and their fans the Aggies. It comes off as childish, or immature, or jealous.

Yeah right. Texas fans don't use derogatory terms for A&M or it's fans. Gimmee a break. Go visit a Texas recruiting message board or an article about A&M and you'll tons of example of childish and immature longhorn posts.

It's a rivalry. Both sides act childish and immature. You likely just gloss over the other side because you are used to it or just not exposed much to it.

bah007
01-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Yeah right. Texas fans don't use derogatory terms for A&M or it's fans. Gimmee a break. Go visit a Texas recruiting message board or an article about A&M and you'll tons of example of childish and immature longhorn posts.

It's a rivalry. Both sides act childish and immature. You likely just gloss over the other side because you are used to it or just not exposed much to it.

This. Each side has the 90% who can act like adults. And unfortunately, each side also has the 10% who can't.

Blake
01-10-2014, 07:15 PM

Like what? Apparently I don't visit enough Texas recruiting boards.

TexansSeminole
01-11-2014, 12:14 PM

True. FSU and UF fans act childish toward one another too. I'm guilty of it. It's the nature of a rivalry and I think it's part of the fun.

Dan B.
01-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Like what? Apparently I don't visit enough Texas recruiting boards.

I've heard:

milkmen = the yell leaders
farmers = A&M fan (not really an insult IMO since they call themselves that)
play Army/fake Army = Corps of Cadets.
aggy = an adjective to describe incompetence (ie: the way they blew that game was so aggy)

WolverineFan
01-11-2014, 01:14 PM

IMO, Franklin will be locked into Penn State > Texas and Shaw has declined NFL teams to stay at Stanford so he's not an option.

So looks like Strong will be the next HC....:kitten:

BTW, will toot my own horn here and say I totally called it. On all 3.

:breakdance:

Dutchrudder
01-13-2014, 01:16 PM

From what I have seen, Aggy is the equivalent of the TU thing. I see it all the time on ESPN comments and message boards. Some of the more antagonistic people like to put an F in front of it, or say "aggot" too. If you go to Txags, you will see a lot worse names than TU or Tsip as well, but this is the internet, so everyone is a tough guy.

I personally think it's all pretty stupid, but I'm not real big on A&M traditions either. Usually it's the more indoctrinated folks who use those slurs, especially the Corps. Corps guys, more than anyone I ever met on campus, push those traditions of hating UT and everything with a hint of orange. They also have a lot of stupid and, to put it frankly, homosexual traditions within the Corps, which give the rest of the school a bad name. Those guys are pretty weird, but they have a huge voice at A&M, so they tend to keep a lot of these traditions alive, such as referring to UT and TU at every yell practice and staving off even the least bit of changing the way we do things.

Personally, I'm hoping the move to the SEC will remove a lot of that stuff, and I hope they make an effort to change the songs as well. Shifting the focus from hating UT to our new rivals, or just propping up A&M in general would be much more preferable... but I'm probably in the minority on that.

Blake
01-13-2014, 02:38 PM
So I think the consensus is that most fans are legit, its the 10% on both sides that really ruin everything.

htownfan32
01-13-2014, 10:33 PM
From what I have seen, Aggy is the equivalent of the TU thing. I see it all the time on ESPN comments and message boards. Some of the more antagonistic people like to put an F in front of it, or say "aggot" too. If you go to Txags, you will see a lot worse names than TU or Tsip as well, but this is the internet, so everyone is a tough guy.

I personally think it's all pretty stupid, but I'm not real big on A&M traditions either. Usually it's the more indoctrinated folks who use those slurs, especially the Corps. Corps guys, more than anyone I ever met on campus, push those traditions of hating UT and everything with a hint of orange. They also have a lot of stupid and, to put it frankly, homosexual traditions within the Corps, which give the rest of the school a bad name. Those guys are pretty weird, but they have a huge voice at A&M, so they tend to keep a lot of these traditions alive, such as referring to UT and TU at every yell practice and staving off even the least bit of changing the way we do things.

Personally, I'm hoping the move to the SEC will remove a lot of that stuff, and I hope they make an effort to change the songs as well. Shifting the focus from hating UT to our new rivals, or just propping up A&M in general would be much more preferable... but I'm probably in the minority on that.

TLDR; Corps guys are weird. :bender:

Look, I'll admit to being a bit of an ass at times, especially when my Longhorn cousin was over for New Years Eve and we were watching the Chick Fil A Bowl. He was in my ear the whole time about "Aggy this" or "Aggy that". When Duke recovered the onside kick before the 1st half ended he started singing The Eyes of Texas. You can imagine how I behaved when the comeback happened and when the game sealing interception happened I gave him the horns down, started signing the War Hymn. But at no point did either of us get upset or mad (just a little annoyed). The rivalry is fun, and my best friends from high school over in Austin give me a hard time about some A&M stuff and I give them a hard time about Longhorn stuff. It's a fun rivalry but like any sports rivalry you just have to keep in mind that it's sports and really nothing to get upset about. There are fans on both sides with some hardcore psycho ex-girlfriend mentality.

I love the War Hymn, don't get me wrong, but... we're not in the Big XII and we don't play UT anymore. Count me in on the "change it" bandwagon. There's a little used first verse to it anyway, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any references to the Orange and the White. If we meet the Longhorns in a bowl game or finally resume play I'll gladly saw 'em off in the stands, but until then... what the **** are we sawing off? Auburn, LSU, Mizzou's stripes? Alabama's elephant tusks? (Actually that's not a bad idea... So long to Bama University, so long to the crimson and the white, good luck... hey, kinda works)

I love quite a bit of our traditions but some stuff you just know is antiquated. I wish A&M wasn't as stubborn to change but who knows? Things might change after a while. The university is changing slowly but surely and in time I think it'll come around.

For now I'm just enjoying besting UT on the recruiting trail. That's one competition we're still engaged in :fingergun:

Texian
01-14-2014, 03:33 PM
BTW, will toot my own horn here and say I totally called it. On all 3.

:breakdance:

I'm not going to toot your horn but you do get 3 atta boys.

Playoffs
01-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Texas Football in for Major Culture Change Under Charlie Strong (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1923529-texas-football-in-for-major-culture-change-under-charlie-strong)
Texas football is in for a major culture change under Charlie Strong after meeting with players this week, per sources of Scipio Tex from Barking Carnival...

Marshall
01-16-2014, 05:53 AM
This. Each side has the 90% who can act like adults. And unfortunately, each side also has the 10% who can't.

Get off the Serous Stuff when talking rivalry. It's artificial offense for the most part and doesn't interfere with working together as a team elsewhere.

htownfan32
01-27-2014, 03:01 PM
It looks like Texas is taking some hits on the recruiting trail. A few Texas commits have flipped to A&M, seemingly.

Short term pain for long term gain?

Blake
01-27-2014, 03:17 PM
It looks like Texas is taking some hits on the recruiting trail. A few Texas commits have flipped to A&M, seemingly.

Anytime there is a coaching change there are going to be recruiting hits. Different coach, different philosophy, different recruiting faces. We can only wait and see down the road what happens.

matts290
01-27-2014, 03:22 PM

Yessir! A&M and Sumlin are digging a stronghold in Texas now, and are winning the recruit battle for local talent. The move to the SEC has done wonders and A&M is now the school to be at in Texas. Pretty good for a little sliver of East Texas huh?

Dutchrudder
01-27-2014, 03:28 PM

None of the flips have been a big deal. Alaka was a good one, but he's probably not going to be eligible due to grades, and wind up at Juco for a few years.

Henderson, the DT, has flipped 2-3 times already, so I don't think you can count on him sticking with A&M until he signs the papers.

Are there any others that flipped to A&M? I know UT lost a few more, but I don't think any others committed to A&M.

htownfan32
01-27-2014, 03:48 PM
None of the flips have been a big deal. Alaka was a good one, but he's probably not going to be eligible due to grades, and wind up at Juco for a few years.

Henderson, the DT, has flipped 2-3 times already, so I don't think you can count on him sticking with A&M until he signs the papers.

Are there any others that flipped to A&M? I know UT lost a few more, but I don't think any others committed to A&M.

There are rumors floating around that Alaka's signing confirmed that Nick Harvey is staying with Texas A&M - he took a visit to Austin so there were some concerns about that. TexAgs radio reported that Connor Lanfear, another 4 star, is going to flip to Texas A&M soon. Edit: Lanfear is 2015.

I haven't heard anything about Alaka's grades, though. Sure you're not thinking of Hoza Scott?

Also a possiblity that Armanti Foreman might decommit from Texas, but that would be worthless as we're already ridiculously stacked at WR.

Now we just need to steal that safety Steven Parker out of OU's hands and we're set.

Playoffs
05-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
No player from the University of Texas was drafted, making 2014 the first draft since 1937 without a Longhorns player selected.

ATXtexanfan
05-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Wow. Not a single longhorn drafted. What a shame

Dan B.
05-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Their new coach however had the same number of first round picks as A&M. Most in the draft. And he recruited them himself.

Stemp
05-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Their new coach however had the same number of first round picks as A&M. Most in the draft. And he recruited them himself.

So how long are the longhorns going to claim Louisville accomplishments as their own? I even saw some longhorns claim the A&M and Mizzou draft picks because they were recruiting "while <the schools> were in the Big 12" :ahhaha:

chicagotexan2
05-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Wow. Not a single longhorn drafted. What a shame

Portland state & Maine had players drafted. That is embarrassing.

Dan B.
05-11-2014, 11:26 PM
So how long are the longhorns going to claim Louisville accomplishments as their own? I even saw some longhorns claim the A&M and Mizzou draft picks because they were recruiting "while <the schools> were in the Big 12" :ahhaha:

Didn't say that the Longhorns had three players drafted of their own. I said the coach UT just hired put three guys into the first round of the draft. Is that incorrect? Were Aggies riding UH's coattails when they pointed out Sumlin's track record before he was hired? Sheesh.....

Kaiser Toro
05-12-2014, 10:24 AM
80 years of having a player drafted, an amazing run. Anyone know who has longest streak currently?

htownfan32
05-12-2014, 05:32 PM
80 years of having a player drafted, an amazing run. Anyone know who has longest streak currently?

I wanna say Michigan but that's a complete shot in the dark.

EDIT: It's USC, according to source:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/longhorns/2014/05/texas-record-nfl-draft-streak-ends-at-76-years/

Playoffs
06-09-2014, 04:28 PM
A single move, a Texas-sized ripple
ESPN Big 12 reporter Max Olson breaks down the 103 coaches
throughout all levels of football that were affected
by Mack Brown resigning from Texas. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11031990/mack-brown-resignation-university-texas-football-coach-impacted-more-100-coaches-country)

When Mack Brown gathered his team following a Saturday practice on Dec. 14, 2013, and revealed his plan to resign, he set off a chain reaction in the college football world.

Among his peers, the effects of Brown's move are still being realized six months later. This was a Texas-sized boulder in the coaching pool, and it caused a tremendous ripple effect.

Directly or indirectly, Brown's decision to leave Texas affected the jobs of 103 coaches and influenced coaching changes at 47 college programs, four NFL organizations and two high schools. The impact of the legendary coach's departure was felt at...

http://espn.go.com/magazine/MackBrownRipple576c.jpg(click for larger) (http://espn.go.com/magazine/MackBrownRipple576c.jpg)