PDA

View Full Version : Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Playoffs
12-10-2013, 11:49 AM
John McClain reports on ProFootballTalk Live the Texans want to talk to Penn State HC Bill O'Brien.

Bill O’Brien, head coach, Penn State -- The former New England assistant under Bill Belichick has done a solid job under difficult circumstances.

1993 Brown (TE)
1994 Brown (ILB)
1995–1997 Georgia Tech (GA)
1998–2000 Georgia Tech (RB)
2001 Georgia Tech (OC/QB)
2002 Georgia Tech (Asst/OC/QB)
2003–2004 Maryland (RB)
2005–2006 Duke (OC/QB)
2007 New England Patriots (Asst)
2008 New England Patriots (WR)
2009–2010 New England Patriots (QB)
2011 New England Patriots (OC/QB)
2012–present Penn State

htownfan32
12-10-2013, 11:53 AM
The dude who turned around Penn State? I don't watch much of the Nittany Lions but any guy who turns that program around after what happened to it has got to have some coaching skill. He's pretty young too, 45 or something?

WolverineFan
12-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Good. He's the guy I've lobbied for all along. IMO, the job he's done at Penn State is more impressive than what Shaw has done at Stanford.

Mr. White
12-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Also having a background in offense can't hurt. I'd rather have him than most of these retreads that we keep hearing about.

GuerillaBlack
12-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Who knows, maybe he could be the first coach under the Belichick coaching tree to be sucfesfull as a head coach in the NFL.

Playoffs
12-10-2013, 12:09 PM
I know next to nothing about O'Brien, but he commands mad respect around coaching circles in the NFL and colleges.

mussop
12-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Good. He's the guy I've lobbied for all along. IMO, the job he's done at Penn State is more impressive than what Shaw has done at Stanford.

I don't know. They both have done great considering.

eriadoc
12-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Based on my ignorance, I have no opinion on the man, but to say he's done a great job at Penn State is premature, I would think. One year in does not mean a thing. I say that for any college coach. How many of the current players were recruited by him? Probably more than any other first year coach because of the Penn St. situation, but for the most part, he's winning with the last regime's recruits. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't give us much of an idea as to what kind of guys he tries to acquire - something that's been an issue in Houston.

WolverineFan
12-10-2013, 12:25 PM
I don't know. They both have done great considering.

I'm not bashing Shaw. I just don't think his job was as hard as people make it out to be. Harbaugh rebuilt that program and Harbaugh stocked it. Then he left. Shaw has been charged with maintaining, which he has done. All of those studs that are NFL prospects right now weren't recruited by Shaw though.

O'Brien was handed a program that had just taken the biggest sanctions since SMU and has been *bowl eligible* both years. His team went 7-5 in a "power" conference this year despite having just 65 scholarship players. Not to mention a lot of their best upperclassmen transferred to avoid the sanctions. Many of those scholarship players are walk-ons who were awarded scholarships because they were available. He also took a former walk-on, Matt McGloin, and turned him into the Raiders current starting QB. Also, his true freshman QB this year looks like a future All-American. Going 15-9 under the circumstances is pretty darn impressive.

*They have a bowl ban because of sanctions so did not go to a bowl despite being eligible.

Hervoyel
12-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Recruiting is the last thing I worry about when it comes to hiring a college coach. I don't know of a single NFL coach who has ever had to go out and recruit his roster. They draft them and seeing a coach make his predecessors players work well is in my opinion a plus. Coaches have massive input when it comes to drafting players granted but they also have much more insight into what they're looking at as well as input from scouts and front office personnel. As long as they're drafting players without being the only guy in the room with input I'm comfortable with it.

If he can coach then that's what we're looking for. The law of averages says that sooner or later one of these Belichick guys is going to meet expectations. Why can't that guy be Bill O'Brien?

2slik4u
12-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Based on my ignorance, I have no opinion on the man, but to say he's done a great job at Penn State is premature, I would think. One year in does not mean a thing. I say that for any college coach. How many of the current players were recruited by him? Probably more than any other first year coach because of the Penn St. situation, but for the most part, he's winning with the last regime's recruits. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't give us much of an idea as to what kind of guys he tries to acquire - something that's been an issue in Houston.

I think they lost a lot of star players due to the all of the sanctions placed on them. He was basically doing what he did on a "rag tag" squad...from what I know.

And I think they lost scholarships or something or other. He has done good in a bad situation just not sure how well he will fare as a HC in the nfl. I don't know enough of him to make a distinction.

The Pencil Neck
12-10-2013, 12:29 PM

Two years.

Actually, he has done an amazing job considering the sanctions that have been leveled against Penn State. That was a program that easily could have tanked. With no bowl games for 4-5 years and a stigma on the program, he's been able to put two winning teams on the field. He was even able to upset Wisconsin. He's also, from what I understand, recruited 2 top-30 classes even with his hands tied behind his back.

He coached Matt McGloin to a great season and then turned around and coached a (I think) unheralded freshman QB to a Freshman of the Year prize. So he appears to be good with young QBs -- not to mention calling plays for Tom Brady in Brady's best statistical season.

I would love to get this guy.

WolverineFan
12-10-2013, 12:33 PM

Fair point seeing as how I hold it against Shaw that he's done what he's done with Harbaugh's recruits.

I will say thought that the true freshman QB that O'Brien recruited was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year and looks like a future stud.

WolverineFan
12-10-2013, 12:36 PM
He coached Matt McGloin to a great season and then turned around and coached a (I think) unheralded freshman QB to a Freshman of the Year prize. So he appears to be good with young QBs -- not to mention calling plays for Tom Brady in Brady's best statistical season.

I would love to get this guy.

Hackenberg was a 5-star recruit, as was the TE he recruited last year.

The impressive thing to me is that he was able to sell Penn State to the best QB and TE in the nation last year. Those guys signed with Penn State knowing that they would never be eligible to win a conference title or play in a bowl game.

Uncle Rico
12-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Yes please. Great job at Penn St and Patriot pedigree.

kiwitexansfan
12-10-2013, 01:51 PM
I'd be surprised if he left Penn State.

Worth doing due diligence on though.

eriadoc
12-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Recruiting is the last thing I worry about when it comes to hiring a college coach.

The only thing it factors in with me is I want to see how a coach does with his own guys. We made excuses for Kubiak early on here because he was still getting his guys. Well, once he had an entire team comprised of his guys, he didn't do any better. So I say the same thing for NFL coaches, but you never really worry about an NFL head coach only getting a year, so their track record is generally more in line with reality.

But hey, I know very little about the guy, so no one should mistake my comments as negative toward him.

Texian
12-10-2013, 02:12 PM

Bortles beat O'Brien.

Vinnie
12-10-2013, 02:16 PM
I had a brief conversation about him with John Harris who played with him at Brown. He said he would have mixed emotions about him coming to Houston. On one hand he knows the guy personally, and he knows he'll eventually get skewered in the media, as all coaches do and that wouldn't be pleasant for John. On the other he "trusts him as a ball coach and would kick the organization right in the ass". Sign me up for the Bill O'Brien fan club.

houstonspartan
12-10-2013, 02:27 PM
I had a brief conversation about him with John Harris who played with him at Brown. He said he would have mixed emotions about him coming to Houston. On one hand he knows the guy personally, and he knows he'll eventually get skewered in the media, as all coaches do and that wouldn't be pleasant for John. On the other he "trusts him as a ball coach and would kick the organization right in the ass". Sign me up for the Bill O'Brien fan club.

You had me at: kick the organization right in the ass.

Don't know much about Bill O'Brien, but, if he can do the above, let's bring him in for an interview.

The Pencil Neck
12-10-2013, 02:30 PM
The only thing it factors in with me is I want to see how a coach does with his own guys. We made excuses for Kubiak early on here because he was still getting his guys. Well, once he had an entire team comprised of his guys, he didn't do any better.

Consecutive division titles and two playoff victories? Our first non-losing and winning seasons? I mean, come on, he didn't come in and win a SB but he did do better than Capers did.

eriadoc
12-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Consecutive division titles and two playoff victories? Our first non-losing and winning seasons? I mean, come on, he didn't come in and win a SB but he did do better than Capers did.

Gee, when you put it that way, the bar is so high I might trip over it. He also went 3-14 since the 11-1 start last year, and sub-.500 for his career. So the winning seasons look more like outliers than anything else. Not that I am not happy for those moments, mind you, but all I said was once he had an entire team comprised of his guys, he didn't do any better, which is true. Knock those first two seasons off and his W-L record is 47-46.

The Pencil Neck
12-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Gee, when you put it that way, the bar is so high I might trip over it. He also went 3-14 since the 11-1 start last year, and sub-.500 for his career. So the winning seasons look more like outliers than anything else. Not that I am not happy for those moments, mind you, but all I said was once he had an entire team comprised of his guys, he didn't do any better, which is true. Knock those first two seasons off and his W-L record is 47-46.

He didn't do any better than what?

To me, when you say he got his guys and didn't do any better it means when he got his guys, he didn't do any better either than his predecessor or than when he had the other guy's guys.

47-46 (Kubiak's record after the first two seasons) is better than 18-46 (which was Capers' record) or 9-23 (Capers' record after 2 seasons).

Granted, both Kubiak and Capers ended with a two win season but when Kubiak's team was in its prime, it was a winning team.

eriadoc
12-10-2013, 03:38 PM
He didn't do any better than what?

Didn't do any better than he did with the other guy's players. Sorry, should have worded it better.

nero THE zero
12-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Recruiting is the last thing I worry about when it comes to hiring a college coach. I don't know of a single NFL coach who has ever had to go out and recruit his roster. They draft them and seeing a coach make his predecessors players work well is in my opinion a plus. Coaches have massive input when it comes to drafting players granted but they also have much more insight into what they're looking at as well as input from scouts and front office personnel. As long as they're drafting players without being the only guy in the room with input I'm comfortable with it.

If he can coach then that's what we're looking for. The law of averages says that sooner or later one of these Belichick guys is going to meet expectations. Why can't that guy be Bill O'Brien?

Agreed.

I see this with both Shaw and O'Brien. Who recruited what players (or how well the coach does at recruiting) is wholly irrelevant to the job an NFL coach has. The NFL doesn't recruit (in the same sense a college coach does) at all and, further, talent acquisition is mostly on the GM (or should be). What I want to know about O'Brien is how well he can motivate players and coaches, how well he can build a staff, how well he can scheme for opponents, how innovative he can be and how well he can adjust on the fly.

My only reservation with O'Brien is the Patriot stigma. He does have a great reputation, though.

badboy
12-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Shaw head coach and O'brien OC or would he go for that?

The Pencil Neck
12-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Shaw head coach and O'brien OC or would he go for that?

No.

I don't see that happening. Both of these are HCs now.

badboy
12-10-2013, 04:07 PM
No.

I don't see that happening. Both of these are HCs now.College HC equals NFL HC? Never would have guessed that. I know some like Mack Brown get about $%m per year but thought most were 2-3 m.

thunderkyss
12-10-2013, 04:12 PM
College HC equals NFL HC? Never would have guessed that. I know some like Mack Brown get about $%m per year but thought most were 2-3 m.

I don't know of a HC that ever left his job to be an NFL coordinator. If he gets fired yes.... but just leave a program to be a coordinator? I seriously doubt that ever happened.

Hervoyel
12-10-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't know of a HC that ever left his job to be an NFL coordinator. If he gets fired yes.... but just leave a program to be a coordinator? I seriously doubt that ever happened.

But if it did happen I bet it would happen on the team where the former HC gets fired but then turns around and agrees to come back as either the OC or DC.

:kitten:

The Pencil Neck
12-10-2013, 04:30 PM
College HC equals NFL HC? Never would have guessed that. I know some like Mack Brown get about $%m per year but thought most were 2-3 m.

You've got two guys who are HCs at the college level and have some NFL experience. They're both being talked about as HCs on the NFL level and the question is whether they'll choose to leave college to go to the NFL... as HCs. If Bill O'Brien is going to leave Penn State (which isn't a given), he's not going to do it to go to work as an OC to anyone other than the Patriots... and he's already HAD that job.

Texecutioner
12-10-2013, 04:55 PM
This guy worked with Tom Brady for a year or two and Brady loved the guy. I'm sort of liking this. He just might become my favorite candidate.

michaelm
12-10-2013, 05:09 PM
This guy worked with Tom Brady for a year or two and Brady loved the guy. I'm sort of liking this. He just might become my favorite candidate.

I don't know anything about him other than what I've learned in this thread, but I have to admit, he looks like a viable and interesting candidate.

Texecutioner
12-10-2013, 05:16 PM
I don't know anything about him other than what I've learned in this thread, but I have to admit, he looks like a viable and interesting candidate.

He was the same guy who ripped Brady a new ******* on the sidelines Two years ago and Brady was arguing back. Brady said he was wrong after the game and that he needed to listen to his coach. Brady respected the hell out of him. He didn't have any problems getting in his star player's ass. I liked that about him. He was also the OC when Brady got his 2nd MVP season.

The Pencil Neck
12-10-2013, 05:18 PM
He was the same guy who ripped Brady a new ******* on the sidelines Two years ago and Brady was arguing back. Brady said he was wrong after the game and that he needed to listen to his coach. Brady respected the hell out of him. He didn't have any problems getting in his star player's ass. I liked that about him. He was also the OC when Brady got his 2nd MVP season.

Awesomer and awesomer.

MasterCush
12-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Wikipedia Says:

In January 2013, O'Brien interviewed for the head coaching position with the Cleveland Browns[15] and Philadelphia Eagles. However, he decided to remain at Penn State, stating: "I’m not a one-and-done guy. I made a commitment to these players at Penn State and that’s what I am going to do. I’m not gonna cut and run after one year, that’s for sure."[16]

Kaiser Toro
12-10-2013, 05:27 PM
For where this franchise is at, O'Brien is a great candidate to interview.

ArlingtonTexan
12-10-2013, 05:42 PM

Honestly, HC @ a top college program probably better than a lot of NFL jobs. Even with scandal, Penn state is top 20 program ( in terms of funding and prestige) and probably better than being the head coach at the bottom 12 or so NFL jobs.

leebigeztx
12-10-2013, 06:46 PM
I'd be surprised if he left Penn State.

Worth doing due diligence on though.

Yeah, his name will only get hotter. Not to mention he seems to want to see the thing through. I like the job he's done.

MistaRed
12-10-2013, 06:46 PM
For where this franchise is at, O'Brien is a great candidate to interview.

This. I would be behind this hire if it happened.

phantom17
12-10-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm starting to like this guy!

HoustonFrog
12-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Hands down a top 2 candidate in my book. He brings the NFL experience and HC experience. Commands respect.

houstonhurricane
12-10-2013, 08:41 PM
O'Brien/Shaw >>>>>>>>>Lovie Smith/Wisenhunt

2slik4u
12-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Hands down a top 2 candidate in my book. He brings the NFL experience and HC experience. Commands respect.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Bill O'Brien and David Shaw over anyone else. I think a new fresh look and game plan is what these young guys will
Bring.

acal21
12-10-2013, 08:52 PM

And both of those guys are capable of sticking around for a long time if things work out

Txn_in_Oki
12-10-2013, 09:07 PM

The "consecutive division titles" thing continues to grind my gears. It took a Manningless Colts team and a downside Titans team for him to do it. Here we are again, not even a year later and the Colts are on their way back up and the Texans are the worst in the league.

GuerillaBlack
12-10-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm becoming more and more of a Bill O'Brien fan. Hope the Texans are too.

Hervoyel
12-10-2013, 09:12 PM
And both of those guys are capable of sticking around for a long time if things work out

I'm sure Penn State and Stanford were thinking that too.

I'd like to see either one of them hired. Probably won't get either one but maybe we'll get lucky.

2slik4u
12-10-2013, 09:43 PM
The "consecutive division titles" thing continues to grind my gears. It took a Manningless Colts team and a downside Titans team for him to do it. Here we are again, not even a year later and the Colts are on their way back up and the Texans are the worst in the league.

For starters you act like this is pee wee football. I don't care what teams are made of it is not easy to win a division title.

As for the colts "on the way up". I'm not impressed. One could argue the only reason they are going to win the AFC south is because the Texans are having a down year. Luck is a good QB, not great...yet. They're team is very inconsistent at best. If we were 80% of last years team I would say the division would be ours.

Unfortunately we are about 35% of last years team. If we do not take the division next year I think we will fully compete for it with us taking the crown in 2015.

I may be optimistic but I think crowning Indy as a clone of Peyton's Colts is absurd and no where close to that.

WolverineFan
12-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Bortles beat O'Brien.

Thank you for adding relevance to this thread. The boys were starting to get off topic....:toropalm:

acal21
12-10-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm sure Penn State and Stanford were thinking that too.

I'd like to see either one of them hired. Probably won't get either one but maybe we'll get lucky.

College coaches come and go for the opportunity to coach in the NFL if they decide to do so

Im sure its happened before but Head Coaches in the NFL don't often leave an organization that takes care of him

JB
12-10-2013, 10:42 PM
College coaches come and go for the opportunity to coach in the NFL if they decide to do so

Im sure its happened before but Head Coaches in the NFL don't often leave an organization that takes care of him

what? Sorry but this post made no sense to me .

College coaches coach in college only to get the opportunity to coach in the NFL or go away?

Has anyone other than Madden left a HC job for any reason other than being fired? ( I know Gruden was technically traded)

steelbtexan
12-10-2013, 10:46 PM
He's done a great job at Penn St.

The NCAA should have shut down that program.

What happened there was the definition of the NCAA's belove lack of insitutional control sentence,that they love to use before they lower the boom on the SMU/TCU/Arkansas Pine-Bluffs of the world.

Shaft75
12-10-2013, 10:49 PM
http://onwardstate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/BOB2222222222222228.jpg

Urges Students to Arrive early (http://onwardstate.com/2012/10/02/bill-obrien-urges-students-to-arrive-early-on-saturday/)

“This is a noon kickoff, and it is by far the biggest game for us so far this year. We’re playing a 5-0 Northwestern team. We feel like we’re doing some good things. We need all those students in the stands at noon for that kickoff. They [the players] feed off of that–The crowd noise, the student section. Whether it’s white out, this out, that out, I don’t know, I just need them in the stands at noon going nuts for this football team because we have to have a great home field advantage, and these guys really feed off that.” - Bill O'brien

Holds fans accountable, looks a little fiery, maybe he'll pull some passion out of some of our players again.

Shaft75
12-10-2013, 10:54 PM
http://media.pennlive.com/patriot-news/photo/2012/01/-00359a9081c341d8.jpg

Sets lofty ambitions/goals

htownfan32
12-10-2013, 11:29 PM
He looks more like a Mafia enforcer than a coach. That's probably what Houston needs at this point, anyway. A tough guy with a little fire to him, not the cool laid back type that Kubes tended to be.

TexanSam
12-10-2013, 11:36 PM

College coaches coach in college only to get the opportunity to coach in the NFL or go away?

Has anyone other than Madden left a HC job for any reason other than being fired? ( I know Gruden was technically traded)

I think he means college coaches constantly jump ship to coach in the pros. Not all college coaches who have the chance do, but most. Not in the pros though. If a pro coach has the solid backing of ownership then he's not likely to skip around jobs.

infantrycak
12-11-2013, 12:37 AM

If you mean not fired and still having the intention to coach, Jimmy Johnson.

The Pencil Neck
12-11-2013, 12:46 AM
If you mean not fired and still having the intention to coach, Jimmy Johnson.

And there was Vermiel, right? Although he probably intended to stay retired that first time and maybe even the second time.

And then there was Lombardi. I never really understood what happened there. I was too young. But he quit the Packers and went to the Redskins (and then died.)

And THEN there was Jack Pardee. He was the coach of the Chicago Bears, built the team up and took them to the playoffs but lost to the Cowboys. Then... I don't know if he quit or if his contract expired, and he was coaching the Redskins the next year.

It's obviously rare, though.

Texn4life
12-11-2013, 01:32 AM
I'm down with this guy big time. Shaw is going to be a harder get, but I think O'Brien would fit in perfect. Get it done Bobby Boy! Anyone who has seen his Real Sports segment can probably tell you how much character this dude has. He became a fan for life of mine after watching that. He's the real deal on and off the field.

Texian
12-11-2013, 06:42 AM
Thank you for adding relevance to this thread. The boys were starting to get off topic....:toropalm:

Actually the purposes of that post was to see how easy it would be to yank your chain from a several hundred miles away using only a computer keyboard. It was pretty darn easy. :shades:

htownfan32
12-11-2013, 07:23 AM
Actually the purposes of that post was to see how easy it would be to yank your chain from a several hundred miles away using only a computer keyboard. It was pretty darn easy. :shades:

http://forums.oce.leagueoflegends.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=3609&d=1378278373

Don't fall for it, Wolverine.

powda
12-11-2013, 07:38 AM
And there was Vermiel, right? Although he probably intended to stay retired that first time and maybe even the second time.

And then there was Lombardi. I never really understood what happened there. I was too young. But he quit the Packers and went to the Redskins (and then died.)

And THEN there was Jack Pardee. He was the coach of the Chicago Bears, built the team up and took them to the playoffs but lost to the Cowboys. Then... I don't know if he quit or if his contract expired, and he was coaching the Redskins the next year.

It's obviously rare, though.

Parcels?

b0ng
12-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Definitely worth looking into as a candidate.

b0ng
12-11-2013, 09:52 AM
What is his philosophy for defense? I know he's only been HC at Penn St. but what has his defenses looked like?

badboy
12-11-2013, 09:54 AM

Ok, now I know who we are talking about. I remember being very impressed with him

badboy
12-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Honestly, HC @ a top college program probably better than a lot of NFL jobs. Even with scandal, Penn state is top 20 program ( in terms of funding and prestige) and probably better than being the head coach at the bottom 12 or so NFL jobs.Yes, I get that. Some want to level out at college or enjoy the college life style. I would think there is as much pressure as a college HC as NFL. If you consider NFL as "top of food chain" it can be easier sometimes to move up from a coordinator role on a team where you have shown your chops. i am not arguing or debating anyone simply making observations.

WolverineFan
12-11-2013, 10:19 AM
http://forums.oce.leagueoflegends.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=3609&d=1378278373

Don't fall for it, Wolverine.

Oh I'm well aware. He thinks he's got me hooked when really I'm just interested in seeing how far he will carry his trolls. It's quite amusing.

Dutchrudder
12-11-2013, 10:25 AM

So did Josh McDaniels... :kitten:

Hervoyel
12-11-2013, 10:29 AM

Well then obviously we should rule out anyone who worked with Tom Brady for a year or two and who Tom thought highly of.

As long as this guy didn't help Sandusky molest kids while helping Hernandez murder people I'm willing to overlook the fact that Tom Brady liked him. Nobody's perfect.

HOU-TEX
12-11-2013, 10:31 AM

Charlie Weis

SCOTTexans
12-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Well then obviously we should rule out anyone who worked with Tom Brady for a year or two and who Tom thought highly of.

As long as this guy didn't help Sandusky molest kids while helping Hernandez murder people I'm willing to overlook the fact that Tom Brady liked him. Nobody's perfect.

Anyone that yells at Tom Brady moves up on my list, and then gets Tom to admit he was wrong....

I would like this hire

The Pencil Neck
12-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Parcels?

Yep. Good point. Forgot about him.

eriadoc
12-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Anyone that yells at Tom Brady moves up on my list, and then gets Tom to admit he was wrong....

Well, I'm halfway there.

SCOTTexans
12-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Well, I'm halfway there.

Yeah i have a long list...

TexansFight
12-11-2013, 03:48 PM
I would fully be on board with a Bill O'Brien hire. I think what he has done at Penn State has been extremely impressive. I like his pedigree and think he would shake things up here in a way that would get us results. Also, I think JJ Watt would love to play for him which is important in keeping him here long term. I agree with the other poster who has Shaw/O'Brien>>>>>>>>>>Lovie Smith/Whisenhunt.

acal21
12-11-2013, 05:30 PM

College coaches often jump at the opportunity to coach in the NFL vs. leaving the Texans to coach the Raiders

Playoffs
12-11-2013, 05:56 PM
BILL O'BRIEN (http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/potential-texans-head-coaching-list)
What O'Brien has been able to do at Penn State has been nothing short of substantial. Penn State hired O'Brien to take over a troubled program after the Jerry Sandusky scandal and was hit with probation and the loss of 40 scholarships over four years and that didn't include the players who were allowed to leave Penn State and go to other programs without penalty (Silas Redd, Anthony Fera and Justin Brown). Despite the losses of scholarships and a few key contributors, O'Brien has put together a 15-9 mark in two seasons including an 8-4 record last year.

O'Brien favors an up-tempo offense mixing a power running game with inside and outside zone and a play-action passing attack as a counter. While Chip Kelly's offense may not be the norm around NFL circles within two or three years, I do think O'Brien's will be as tempo will likely continue to catch on around the league while still utilizing more traditional running and passing attacks. The way O'Brien has handled the Penn State program and the fact that he comes from Bill Belichick's coaching tree will work in his favor. Will he leave Penn State? He has admitted that he would like to get back to the NFL, but said he didn't want to ditch PSU after just one year. Well he is finished with two years no so I think he is a possibility. One particular issue with O'Brien is that he will likely want some level of personnel control and Rick Smith is unlikely to cede too much over.

houstonspartan
12-13-2013, 04:38 PM
BILL O'BRIEN (http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/potential-texans-head-coaching-list)

Personnel control? To a guy who has never been an NFL head coach? Pass. We just had a coach that had full control. There needs to be some checks in balances in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

infantrycak
12-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Personnel control? To a guy who has never been an NFL head coach? Pass. We just had a coach that had full control. There needs to be some checks in balances in place.

Another LZ prognostication. Most NFL HC candidates want some level of personnel control. Not sure why in the world it is reasonable to predict Smith has magically gone from no control to total control sufficiently to block a HC candidate McNair otherwise likes.

Texian
12-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Not sure why in the world it is reasonable to predict Smith has magically gone from no control to total control sufficiently to block a HC candidate McNair otherwise likes.

Might have a little something to do with the Front Office complaining and bellyaching to the national media that the coaching staff has to much control over the draft,

"That frustration channels from the coaching staff holding too much sway over the draft process

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/11/report-texans-front-office-frustrated-with-coaching-staff/

this is a draft process that was agreed to by Bob McNair 8 years ago. Funny how the front office complains about coaching staff having to much control over the draft process but in the Kubiak firing press conference McNair was adamant that this team had Super Bowl talent. To much control over the draft but yet they have Super Bowl talent, Go Figure.

houstonspartan
12-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Another LZ prognostication. Most NFL HC candidates want some level of personnel control. Not sure why in the world it is reasonable to predict Smith has magically gone from no control to total control sufficiently to block a HC candidate McNair otherwise likes.

Either way, I just think it's time for a strong GM, either by McNair giving Smith more power, or him hiring another GM. It's time for the GM of this team to step up and build something, rather than being just a figure head.

infantrycak
12-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Either way, I just think it's time for a strong GM, either by McNair giving Smith more power, or him hiring another GM. It's time for the GM of this team to step up and build something, rather than being just a figure head.

So if your favorite coaching candidate wants control you'll sacrifice him for Smith to have more power?

I can see the argument for a top tier GM but not just anyone.

JB
12-13-2013, 09:06 PM

It's ludicrous to think that a head coach worth his salt wouldn't want a say in personnel decisions

bah007
12-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Shouldn't the GM be hiring a HC that is on the same page as him regarding the direction of the franchise?

I can see disagreements over a few specific players but if there is a big time disconnect between the front office and the coaching staff regarding what type of players you are looking for then you have no chance for success on the field.

If the GM doesn't approve of the HC's personnel choices then he either did a ****ty job hiring a HC, does a ****ty job evaluating talent, or both...

houstonspartan
12-14-2013, 12:36 AM
It's ludicrous to think that a head coach worth his salt wouldn't want a say in personnel decisions

Nonsense. There are a lot of successful coaches that do not have full control. If you think Harbaugh in Baltimore is overriding Ozzie you are kidding yourself.

houstonspartan
12-14-2013, 12:39 AM
So if your favorite coaching candidate wants control you'll sacrifice him for Smith to have more power?

I can see the argument for a top tier GM but not just anyone.

Yes, I would. If McNair decides Smith is the guy, we have to roll with that. Tired of the head coach around here having more juice than the GM, and the Texans making decisions by committee; this team needs a clear chain of command.

steelbtexan
12-14-2013, 01:17 AM
Might have a little something to do with the Front Office complaining and bellyaching to the national media that the coaching staff has to much control over the draft,

"That frustration channels from the coaching staff holding too much sway over the draft process

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/11/report-texans-front-office-frustrated-with-coaching-staff/

this is a draft process that was agreed to by Bob McNair 8 years ago. Funny how the front office complains about coaching staff having to much control over the draft process but in the Kubiak firing press conference McNair was adamant that this team had Super Bowl talent. To much control over the draft but yet they have Super Bowl talent, Go Figure.

So which is it BoB? Talent that Gary broyght in, or lack of coaching?

Lucky
12-14-2013, 01:17 AM
Shouldn't the GM be hiring a HC that is on the same page as him regarding the direction of the franchise?
This GM is a lapdog that has no business hiring anything other than a secretary. He should have been shown the door with the coach that brought him in.

If this is the guy who is hiring the next head coach of the Houston Texans and have ultimate football authority, then McNair deserves the bottom of the barrel coach he will get.

I don't believe that Smith is hiring anyone. McNair is doing the hiring, and Smith is saying, "Yes, Bob. Whatever you say, Bob. We're back on track now, Bob."

steelbtexan
12-14-2013, 01:20 AM

How long before personel decisions start stiking to teflon Rick?

The Pencil Neck
12-14-2013, 02:44 AM
How long before personel decisions start stiking to teflon Rick?

I'm just going to throw this out there...

McNair has been in there with Kubiak and Smith (and Wade, for that matter) and he's seen which of these guys stood up and pounded the table for each of the guys we've drafted. We haven't.

If Smith and his scouts preferred some other guys but Kubiak and the other coaches chose guys that weren't as successful, McNair would know that Rick deserves to be heard on this issues... or not. If it was Smith who chose these guys to get the talent in here and then Kubiak was let go because he didn't utilize it right, that's one thing. If Smith's players are the ones who are the stars in the league and the one Kubiak and his crew are the ones who have crapped out, then that's another.

It might be that Kubiak made the call to let guys like Brisiel, Winston, Dreessen, Demeco, Leach, etc. go and Smith might have questioned him on those decisions.

There are lots of ways that Smith could have proved to McNair that he needs more power in personnel decisions.

We haven't been in those rooms. At least, I haven't. So I don't know what the heck is going on in there and which guy has made the right choices and which guy has made the wrong ones.

JB
12-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Nonsense. There are a lot of successful coaches that do not have full control. If you think Harbaugh in Baltimore is overriding Ozzie you are kidding yourself.

Big leap from having a say to full control. If you think Harbaugh doesn't have ANY input you are kidding yourself

otisbean
12-14-2013, 07:16 AM

McNair has been in there with Kubiak and Smith (and Wade, for that matter) and he's seen which of these guys stood up and pounded the table for each of the guys we've drafted. We haven't.

If Smith and his scouts preferred some other guys but Kubiak and the other coaches chose guys that weren't as successful, McNair would know that Rick deserves to be heard on this issues... or not. If it was Smith who chose these guys to get the talent in here and then Kubiak was let go because he didn't utilize it right, that's one thing. If Smith's players are the ones who are the stars in the league and the one Kubiak and his crew are the ones who have crapped out, then that's another.

It might be that Kubiak made the call to let guys like Brisiel, Winston, Dreessen, Demeco, Leach, etc. go and Smith might have questioned him on those decisions.

There are lots of ways that Smith could have proved to McNair that he needs more power in personnel decisions.

We haven't been in those rooms. At least, I haven't. So I don't know what the heck is going on in there and which guy has made the right choices and which guy has made the wrong ones.

Well said.

infantrycak
12-14-2013, 08:22 AM

Well said.

Big leap from having a say to full control. If you think Harbaugh doesn't have ANY input you are kidding yourself

Nuance seems to be a dying trait. Lots of folks living in a binary world where the GM is either lackey or dictator.

Texian
12-14-2013, 09:04 AM

Harbaugh at his hiring press conference was asked, who had final say on the 53 man roster? Harbaugh answered, Trent Baalke.

HJam72
12-14-2013, 09:04 AM
All I know is they never listen to me. One might even think they don't even read my posts. :kitten:

IDEXAN
12-14-2013, 09:11 AM

People always want to blame Smith for the decision to release these players, but they tend to take everything out of context. In the case of Demeco, the hiring of Wade with his 3-4 made DeMeco redundant, and they drafted players to replace Brisiel & Winston but both went on IR this year: is it the GMs fault they got injured ?
Regarding Dreessen & Leach, they made a good-faith effort to resign them but were outbid by the competition, which just goes to show you can't keep everybody.
Now Ed Reed was obviously a bad decision, but there's ample evidence that was the owner's call and resigning Schaub (prematurely it would now seem) was mostly likely Kubiak's decision.

houstonspartan
12-14-2013, 09:26 AM

No, I'm not saying that Harbaugh has no say; I'm say I doubt if he has the so-called "full control" that a lot of coaching candidates supposedly want.

houstonspartan
12-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Well said.

Nuance seems to be a dying trait. Lots of folks living in a binary world where the GM is either lackey or dictator.

Exactly.

b0ng
12-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Guys who want full control over personnel who have never been an NFL HC before always scare me.

I think the lack of information about who does what in the Texans offices leads to these stupid petty arguments about who should be fired and who brought in the right guys and blah blah blah. Since people like to prognosticate about Rick Smith, I'll throw one in there that has just as much weight as everybody else's:

If Rick Smith is allowed to hire the coach and they are on the same page, then we will be in the playoffs again by 2015.

And that is worth just as much as all of the other "predictions" for Rick Smith in this thread and has just as much information backing it up too (none)!

infantrycak
12-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Harbaugh at his hiring press conference was asked, who had final say on the 53 man roster? Harbaugh answered, Trent Baalke.

Baalke was made GM after Harbaugh was offered the job and:

The team president, York, promises to stay out of his football business. The general manager, Baalke, vows not to make a decision Harbaugh wouldn't go along with.

Link (http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Jim-Harbaugh-is-named-49ers-head-coach-3242178.php)

Texian
12-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Guys who want full control over personnel who have never been an NFL HC before always scare me.

I think the lack of information about who does what in the Texans offices leads to these stupid petty arguments about who should be fired and who brought in the right guys and blah blah blah. Since people like to prognosticate about Rick Smith, I'll throw one in there that has just as much weight as everybody else's:

If Rick Smith is allowed to hire the coach and they are on the same page, then we will be in the playoffs again by 2015.

And that is worth just as much as all of the other "predictions" for Rick Smith in this thread and has just as much information backing it up too (none)!

There are only 3 Head Coaches who had full control of football operations in the last 20 years that I can think of who've been successful, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcels and Bill Belichick. There have been many, many, many who've failed.

Rick Smith was a Jr exec in Denver when he was hired to be Texans GM. Smith's training was virtually in the Shanahan system. Unlike other Assistants who have been trained in all phases and areas of being a true General Manager like Eric DeCosta, Eliot Wolf and Chris Polian for example.

I'll throw one in there that has just as much weight as everybody else's:

As long as Rick Smith is the Houston Texans GM the Texans will not return to the playoffs. (I threw one out there in 2011 and said the Colts would be Division champs in 2013, I also said if the Texans didn't do something to answer Andrew Luck the Texans could repeat their first 5 years in the league, that's looking good too).

Texian
12-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Baalke was made GM after Harbaugh was offered the job and:

Link (http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Jim-Harbaugh-is-named-49ers-head-coach-3242178.php)

Did you read the article?:

"Same goes for general manager Trent Baalke, who landed his primary target just three days into the GM job."

so Harbaugh wasn't lying when he said Baalke had final say on the 53 man roster?

infantrycak
12-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Did you read the article?:

"Same goes for general manager Trent Baalke, who landed his primary target just three days into the GM job."

Yes and that doesn't contradict anything I said. Harbaugh was also the primary target of the owner. If you had read the article you would see an offer was already on the table from that owner prior to Baalke being promoted. The announcement of Baalke as GM came in the same press conference as announcing Harbaugh.

so Harbaugh wasn't lying when he said Baalke had final say on the 53 man roster?

The article makes no mention of confirming your memory and it would be a logical thing to include in comments about the issue. So I am not sure the statement was ever made and certainly was not accusing Harbaugh of lying.

Either way you plainly overplayed your hand and continue to do so.

Saying Baalke will have final say is pure lip service if Baalke is going to match his final decisions to what the HC wants. It is certainly not the no control over personnel situation you were trying to paint.

Texian
12-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Yes and that doesn't contradict anything I said. Harbaugh was also the primary target of the owner. If you had read the article you would see an offer was already on the table from that owner prior to Baalke being promoted. The announcement of Baalke as GM came in the same press conference as announcing Harbaugh.

The article makes no mention of confirming your memory and it would be a logical thing to include in comments about the issue. So I am not sure the statement was ever made and certainly was not accusing Harbaugh of lying.

Either way you plainly overplayed your hand and continue to do so.

Saying Baalke will have final say is pure lip service if Baalke is going to match his final decisions to what the HC wants. It is certainly not the no control over personnel situation you were trying to paint.

You tried to insinuate that Baalke didn't hire Harbaugh. Did he? YES You tried to insinuate that Baalke doesn't have final say on the 53 man roster. Does he? YES Why do you often over play your hand? Argumentative? PROBABLY Until you see the video of a reporter asking Harbaugh who has final say on 53 man roster, and Jim saying Baalke, you'll just have to remained confused. Sometimes it is was it is. Sometimes it is exactly as it is written.

Did I say this article confirms my memory. no that was you. I said Press Conference not your article.

infantrycak
12-14-2013, 11:00 AM
You tried to insinuate that Baalke didn't hire Harbaugh. Did he? YES

No, the owner hired both Baalke and Harbaugh. Yes Baalke was in on closing the deal.

You tried to insinuate that Baalke doesn't have final say on the 53 man roster. Does he? YES

Never said or insinuated that. The point was final say on the 53 is not definitive on the discussion of whether the HC is going to have "some control" on personnel. Baalke vowed to not make decisions the HC disagrees with. That confirms that (a) the GM has final say and that (b) the HC is going to have "some control."

Texian
12-14-2013, 11:27 AM
No, the owner hired both Baalke and Harbaugh. Yes Baalke was in on closing the deal.

Never said or insinuated that. The point was final say on the 53 is not definitive on the discussion of whether the HC is going to have "some control" on personnel. Baalke vowed to not make decisions the HC disagrees with. That confirms that (a) the GM has final say and that (b) the HC is going to have "some control."

We're done here!

markn
12-14-2013, 11:42 AM

I can't decide whether to positive or negative rep this post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Double Barrel
12-14-2013, 11:50 AM
I like the idea of Bill O'Brien based on what I've read in this thread.

But, I'm not getting my hopes up. I do not think he leaves Penn State at this point in his career. And, I think he would most likely bring a rebuild mentality to the Texans that McNair openly stated he wants to avoid. O'Brien is going to bring his own OC and DC, and they will have their systems and schemes.

Maybe I'm reading McNair's words too literal, but the owner said it and I have no reason to doubt his intentions. The specific terms "playoff contention" and "not a rebuild" is easy to extrapolate that he wants to keep a lot of the same players and scheme structure into 2014. I do not perceive Bill O'Brien as a coach that will want to be imposed upon by existing structure. If he's anything like Belichick, he's going to want to rebuild his new team in his own mentalities and image.

MistaRed
12-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Penn State’s Bill O’Brien, who came close to taking the Eagles job a year ago and was approached by several other teams, is ready to return to professional football, according to pro and college sources, and has already been approached by the Texans and Vikings.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24375967/ready-to-return-to-nfl-bill-obrien-drawing-interest-from-vikings-texans

infantrycak
12-15-2013, 11:34 AM

This comes from a discussion of potential UT coaches but it appears there may be tension in San Fran:

Given the more or less common knowledge of the tension between Harbaugh and young 49ers team president Jed York and GM Trent Baalke -- including Harbaugh puzzlingly turning down a two-year extension to his contract -- it's pretty plain that Harbaugh is currently receptive to different employment options.

Link (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/12/15/5197508/texas-football-coaching-search-candidates)

Porky
12-18-2013, 10:55 AM
I talked to a person very recently that is close to the Texans. Not exactly an insider (ie not a Texans employee), but someone who knows everyone in the building up to McNair's level. That person told me that O'Brien is very high on the Texans list, and he may even have the inside track at this point, although nothing is set in stone, so this is not a prediction, just a hunch.

As an aside, that person felt Lovie Smith would not be coming to Reliant. Just thought it was an interesting observation. I don't want to say who it is because I don't want to jeopardize my source, and I didn't say I was going to put it on the internet! So not revealing the source.

phantom17
12-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Make it so McNair!:swatter:

Hervoyel
12-18-2013, 11:12 AM
I talked to a person very recently that is close to the Texans. Not exactly an insider (ie not a Texans employee), but someone who knows everyone in the building up to McNair's level. That person told me that O'Brien is very high on the Texans list, and he may even have the inside track at this point, although nothing is set in stone, so this is not a prediction, just a hunch.

As an aside, that person felt Lovie Smith would not be coming to Reliant. Just thought it was an interesting observation. I don't want to say who it is because I don't want to jeopardize my source, and I didn't say I was going to put it on the internet! So not revealing the source.

I'd be really good with this. Sooner or later someone from Belichick's coaching tree is going to work out. This guy looks very promising.

WolverineFan
12-18-2013, 11:21 AM
I've stated it before, I'm a big O'Brien fan. He's been my top option all year.

With that said, there are rumors out there that he won't take an NFL job this year because of promises he made to recruits. The earliest he would take a job is next year.

Brisco_County
12-18-2013, 12:34 PM

Your unnamed source might as well be as reliable as any other unnamed source, meaning: Take this for what it's worth.

Penn State coach Bill O'Brien is the leading candidate to be the Houston Texans next coach, a source close to the search tells CultureMap.

The Texans began putting early back channel feelers out to various coaches to gauge their potential interest even before Gary Kubiak was officially fired on Dec. 6 and have a very good idea at this point who is legitimately in play as a candidate and who is not, the same source says. From that sorting, O'Brien's emerged as the Texans No. 1 target.

O'Brien separated himself with the poise he's shown under extreme circumstances at Penn State University, his NFL experience under New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick and his track record of getting the best out of quarterbacks. He will take a big edge into an interview with the Texans.

Instead the Texans owner is focused on making a hire who can make an immediate impact and impart a culture change. It's about ensuring he and general manager Rick Smith make the right hire rather than just an economical hire.

Despite operating under severe scholarship restrictions and a bowl ban, O'Brien's teams tend to get better as the season goes on. Penn State lost to lowly Ohio University in O'Brien's first game in Happy Valley last year and he still ended up winning the Bear Bryant Coach of the Year Award (which happens to be given out in Houston).

Perhaps even more importantly for a Texans franchise still reeling from the Gary Kubiak-Matt Schaub marriage, O'Brien's built something of a reputation as a quarterback whisperer. Whether it's with Tom Brady or an 18-year-old true freshman named Christian Hackenberg.

Link (http://houston.culturemap.com/news/sports/12-18-13-penn-state-bill-obrien-emerges-as-houston-texans-no-1-target-for-new-head-coach/).

DX-TEX
12-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Your unnamed source might as well be as reliable as any other unnamed source, meaning: Take this for what it's worth.

Link (http://houston.culturemap.com/news/sports/12-18-13-penn-state-bill-obrien-emerges-as-houston-texans-no-1-target-for-new-head-coach/).

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii640/Larkaidikalikani/Crack/Loki%20gifs/OhYes.gif#yes%20gif%20500x258

Do it Bob! DO IT!

Texian
12-18-2013, 02:13 PM
There is a good chance that O'Brien would want to draft Blake Bortles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6JLz-M9E8E

UCF 34, Penn St 31

TexansFight
12-18-2013, 02:51 PM
I would be ecstatic if Bill O'Brien is our new head coach. It will make this horrific season worth it if he does become our coach. I think it'd be a grand slam hire

Mr teX
12-18-2013, 02:53 PM

This is what i came in here to say...for him to handle an accomplished qb like Thomas says quite a bit about this guy's leadership qualities. see the below youtube clip.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu9TKEKia9s&noredirect=1

Bill O'brien is my top choice b/c he meets all the criteria i'd like to see for our next HC.

A fresh face, not a retred.......with a winning background that's fairly young & in tune with the emerging NFL.

The Pencil Neck
12-18-2013, 03:55 PM
I'll believe this when I see it.

And if I see it, I'll be really, really happy and the Sunshine will start early.

michaelm
12-18-2013, 03:56 PM

UCF 34, Penn St 31

I'm not so sure about that.
It's reported that Bortles has lost a huge amount of mobility since you started hanging on his jock for dear life.

michaelm
12-18-2013, 04:09 PM
In my rush to be a snarky a-hole, I forgot to say that I would be fully on board with this hire. O'Brien is my top candidate for the Texans, and also for the Horn's.

deucetx
12-18-2013, 04:26 PM
I'm not so sure about that.
It's reported that Bortles has lost a huge amount of mobility since you started hanging on his jock for dear life.

:spit:

houstonspartan
12-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Ok, before we all rush out to name our pets Bill O'Brien out of excitement, I'd like for this franchise to take their time and cast a wide net. This is a very important decision, and they should take their time.

I like what I hear about this guy, but, I also think we should do our due dilligence. Bill Belichek's assistants have been horrible head coaches, and this guy could break the mold, but, I just want to make sure we are careful in hiring.

O'Brien might be the guy, but, I'd also like to take a hard look at the Seattle Offensive Coordinator, and a couple other people as well.

TexansFight
12-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Ok, before we all rush out to name our pets Bill O'Brien out of excitement, I'd like for this franchise to take their time and cast a wide net. This is a very important decision, and they should take their time.

I like what I hear about this guy, but, I also think we should do our due dilligence. Bill Belichek's assistants have been horrible head coaches, and this guy could break the mold, but, I just want to make sure we are careful in hiring.

O'Brien might be the guy, but, I'd also like to take a hard look at the Seattle Offensive Coordinator, and a couple other people as well.

I completely disagree. Bill O'Brien will be an elite NFL coach. Mark me down as calling it and hold my feet to the fire if I am wrong.

You are advocating the same old 2 steps slow Texans way of doing things. The Texans need to pounce on this guy now and not drag their feet.

houstonspartan
12-18-2013, 04:56 PM
I completely disagree. Bill O'Brien will be an elite NFL coach. Mark me down as calling it and hold my feet to the fire if I am wrong.

You are advocating the same old 2 steps slow Texans way of doing things. The Texans need to pounce on this guy now and not drag their feet.

I admit I don't know everything there is to know about Bill O'Brien. I'm just saying that Gary Kubiak made his name after "coaching" John Elway and Steve Young, and was branded a qb guru. I'm seeing that people are saying the same thing about Bill O'Brien because of his work with Tom Brady (a rare, talented, once-in-a-lifetime qb, like Elway).

No, I'm not advocating dragging our feet; I'm merely saying we should interview more than one person instead of handing this guy the keys to the franchise based on two decent years as a college head coach.

The Pencil Neck
12-18-2013, 05:57 PM

I don't think any (or at least, very many) of us are saying that the Texans shouldn't do their due diligence and take a look at as many candidates as possible. I think we're just saying that based on what we know (which is going to be less than what McNair and Smith know), Bill O'Brien wouldn't be a bad choice.

Granted, the Belichick coaching tree has not had a lot of success but... at least this guy has gone out and been fairly successful in a very trying situation. That's got to be a good sign.

But. Yeah. Don't just find a guy and stop looking.

thunderkyss
12-18-2013, 06:01 PM

Great.

Now he's got to make another public statement about never leaving Penn State in a million years so he can continue to do his current job... then look like a complete as5 when he walks out on all those kids.

Texecutioner
12-18-2013, 07:17 PM

Man, I am so with you on this!

This guy represents everything that Bob typically is afraid of. He has fire and passion and holds guys accountable.

He is my top guy over anyone at this point. This would be the first time in Texans history that I'd be stoked and super excited about the HC situation. I don't know about him becoming an elite HC and maiming a guarantee, but I think he has all of the intangibles and traits to do that with a little bit of luck and a QB. I have a feeling this won't happen, but if it does I'll be more excited about the Texans next season then I ever have been in the past.

GuerillaBlack
12-19-2013, 01:32 AM
I admit I don't know everything there is to know about Bill O'Brien. I'm just saying that Gary Kubiak made his name after "coaching" John Elway and Steve Young, and was branded a qb guru. I'm seeing that people are saying the same thing about Bill O'Brien because of his work with Tom Brady (a rare, talented, once-in-a-lifetime qb, like Elway).

No, I'm not advocating dragging our feet; I'm merely saying we should interview more than one person instead of handing this guy the keys to the franchise based on two decent years as a college head coach.

People were talking about how he handled Brady on the sidelines during the game. Texans better not wait on him. They aren't the only potential attractive team for a new head coach. Other teams will be interested too.

alphajoker
12-22-2013, 11:16 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10180138/bill-obrien-nfl-buyout-penn-state-nittany-lions-reduced

With the end of the NFL season near, O'Brien is expected to be one of the hottest head-coaching candidates out there and his contract now is designed to make it more alluring for an NFL team such as the Houston Texans to hire him. O'Brien, however, is said to be torn about whether to leave Penn State.

Playoffs
12-22-2013, 11:26 AM
...more alluring for an NFL team such as the Houston Texans to hire him. O'Brien, however, is said to be torn about whether to leave Penn State.

If the Texans come a knocking, he'd best take the job. There are many worse organizations to work for than in Houston.

htownfan32
12-22-2013, 02:27 PM
If the Texans come a knocking, he'd best take the job. There are many worse organizations to work for than in Houston.

True, but I think he feels a certain commitment and attachment to Penn State. I think he'll leave (whether for us or for another organization) but it won't be an easy decision for him.

amazing80
12-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Bill O Brien wouldn't be bad, but we need an alpha dog for our defense. i think best case would be Bill with Rex Ryan as DC, I think rex would do great things for this defense, but wouldn't want him as HC, only DC.

badboy
12-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Interested in O'brien but I watched first five minutes of Bortles video & of 3 long passes he made one, threw short on another and had the third intercepted.

Lucky
12-22-2013, 07:20 PM
i think best case would be Bill with Rex Ryan as DC, I think rex would do great things for this defense, but wouldn't want him as HC, only DC.
I can't think of a worse fit than a Ryan in the Texan organization. Ryan as an assistant would be a disaster with a first time coach like O'Brien.

hradhak
12-22-2013, 07:31 PM
I'd be interested in O'Brien, but there are a couple of things I worry about. His success with NE doesn't mean much to me since Brady and Bellichek are all that's need there.

What kind of offense is he running at Penn State? Are they running the spread or a pro style offense

Hervoyel
12-22-2013, 08:26 PM
I can't think of a worse fit than a Ryan in the Texan organization. Ryan as an assistant would be a disaster with a first time coach like O'Brien.

I think Ryan is the HC who gets fired and then goes directly back into the HC position on another team not the one who gets fired and then spends time in purgatory as a coordinator earning another shot at the top job.

At least this time around.

ArlingtonTexan
12-22-2013, 08:34 PM
I'd be interested in O'Brien, but there are a couple of things I worry about. His success with NE doesn't mean much to me since Brady and Bellichek are all that's need there.

What kind of offense is he running at Penn State? Are they running the spread or a pro style offense

Penn State runs a "pro" offense. The QB while highly recruited, had a really good 1st year and one the WRs is a 1st/2nd round candidate.

The buyout is a real issue because the pure dollars involved, but even post-scandal Penn State is the college football program of the entire northeast/new England state area and is probably the equal of the Longhorns job...i.e. better than a good portion of the NFL.

houstonspartan
12-23-2013, 01:02 AM
Penn State runs a "pro" offense. The QB while highly recruited, had a really good 1st year and one the WRs is a 1st/2nd round candidate.

The buyout is a real issue because the pure dollars involved, but even post-scandal Penn State is the college football program of the entire northeast/new England state area and is probably the equal of the Longhorns job...i.e. better than a good portion of the NFL.

Nonsense. Penn State isn't the Big Program you think it is. And hasn't been for a while. It is not UT, or USC, or Alabama. The Penn State job is not better than a good portion of the NFL; the NFL is the NFL. Period.

And, no, Penn State does not run a "pro" offense; it's a college. it runs a college offense.

The buyout is pennies. We can afford it. We can afford anyone we want.

Look, I'm on board for O'Brien, but, I'm being real about the fact that he has NEVER been an NFL head coach. Two years at a big school does not mean he's the great coach everyone thinks he is...

amazing80
12-23-2013, 06:35 AM

As a DC Rex was fine, it was when he became HC that his antics were a problem. No matter what happened his Jets defenses were always top half of the league. Put him back at DC and let him focus on that, WATCH OUT.

And for those who say he gets a head coach job immediately, I doubt it. There are tons of HC options out there and there are lots more BETTER candidates at HC than Rex. I think he has to take a DC job for a few years before becoming HC again.

Texian
12-23-2013, 08:28 AM

There will be additional NFL HC openings. O'Brien will have his choice of jobs. At the top of his list will be a team that will give him final say on the 53 man roster. The Texans are not one of those teams.

TexansFight
12-23-2013, 10:26 AM

Rex Ryan is exactly the type of coach the Texans need. That he would be such a terrible fit in your eyes with the Texans organization shows me how far away the Texans are from being championship caliber organization. I want Bill O'Brien but I would also love a Rex Ryan hire. He has done a great job coaching a Jets team with far less talent than the Texans.

mussop
12-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Interested in O'brien but I watched first five minutes of Bortles video & of 3 long passes he made one, threw short on another and had the third intercepted.

What's one have to do with the other?

badboy
12-23-2013, 10:44 AM
What's one have to do with the other?

From Texian's post #118. Thought I had direct quoted it:

UCF 34, Penn St 31

houstonspartan
12-23-2013, 10:46 AM
There will be additional NFL HC openings. O'Brien will have his choice of jobs. At the top of his list will be a team that will give him final say on the 53 man roster. The Texans are not one of those teams.

Any team that gives final say to a man who has zero experience as an NFL head coach deserves whatever they get.

Let's get the "Coordinator X wants full control" narrative out of our heads. It's unrealistic and probably won't happen.

Texian
12-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Any team that gives final say to a man who has zero experience as an NFL head coach deserves whatever they get.

Let's get the "Coordinator X wants full control" narrative out of our heads. It's unrealistic and probably won't happen.

Happens all the time, almost every year.

corytx8
12-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Rex Ryan is exactly the type of coach the Texans need. That he would be such a terrible fit in your eyes with the Texans organization shows me how far away the Texans are from being championship caliber organization. I want Bill O'Brien but I would also love a Rex Ryan hire. He has done a great job coaching a Jets team with far less talent than the Texans.

Something I want to point out is that, the reason why they don't have talent is because he never gotten talent for that team. He always went with the sexy signing and picks. Look how that jets team turned out.......

houstonhurricane
12-23-2013, 06:51 PM

I'm willing to trust Bill O'Brien a heck if a lot more than Rick Smith when it comes to our roster....isn't even close.

thunderkyss
12-23-2013, 07:28 PM

If O'Brien is from the Belichick tree, you don't have to worry about Rex being on his staff.

thunderkyss
12-23-2013, 07:36 PM

You say this as if the move would completely neuter the GM. It is totally possible for the HC to have final say on the 53, that's the way it should be. Don't need the owner or anyone else telling the HC who his starting QB should be.

As long as the HC knows the GM is his boss, the power structure should stay intact.

It's cool to have a QB like Peyton Manning calling audibles & adjusting the offense to what he sees on the field, but you need an OC in charge to manage the game. IMO, that's why Peyton only has one ring.

Same thing, the HC is the guy who manages the season, but long term, it's got to be the GMs vision, plan. Doesn't matter who the final 53 is as long as the core stays intact.

Texian
12-23-2013, 08:10 PM
You say this as if the move would completely neuter the GM. It is totally possible for the HC to have final say on the 53, that's the way it should be. Don't need the owner or anyone else telling the HC who his starting QB should be.

As long as the HC knows the GM is his boss, the power structure should stay intact.

It's cool to have a QB like Peyton Manning calling audibles & adjusting the offense to what he sees on the field, but you need an OC in charge to manage the game. IMO, that's why Peyton only has one ring.

Same thing, the HC is the guy who manages the season, but long term, it's got to be the GMs vision, plan. Doesn't matter who the final 53 is as long as the core stays intact.

My point being, give a perspective head a coach a choice of having full control and final say on the 53 man roster vs answering to the GM w/o control of the team roster, 99.9% of the time the perspective head coach will opt for full control and final say. Example is Jeff Fisher, he interviewed for both the Miami and St Louis jobs. All things being equal most folks would choose Miami. However Miami didn't offer full control, St. Louis did and Fisher is the Rams Head Coach.

JB
12-23-2013, 08:55 PM
My point being, give a perspective head a coach a choice of having full control and final say on the 53 man roster vs answering to the GM w/o control of the team roster, 99.9% of the time the perspective head coach will opt for full control and final say. Example is Jeff Fisher, he interviewed for both the Miami and St Louis jobs. All things being equal most folks would choose Miami. However Miami didn't offer full control, St. Louis did and Fisher is the Rams Head Coach.

Yeah I can agree that the coach should have final say of the 53... and the GM has say on who is brought in to compete for the 53.

It's a symbiotic relationship. They have to work together to have any success at all

ArlingtonTexan
12-26-2013, 05:20 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/26/obrien-may-not-be-a-sure-thing-to-jump-to-nfl/

Less than two years removed from crippling Sandusky-fueled sanctions and still two seasons away from the ability to compete for bowl games, O’Brien could decide to continue the job he took after serving as Bill Belichick’s offensive coordinator in New England.

O’Brien wouldn’t be the first (or the last) football coach to say one thing and done another, and it would be hard to fault him for making a money grab at the next level. But family considerations also come into play, given that O’Brien’s 11-year-old son, Jack, has a medical condition that prevents him from walking or talking and results in near-daily seizures. The O’Briens reportedly have a high degree of comfort with the local medical care Jack is receiving and the elementary school Jack is attending; uprooting him from that while at the same time finding an acceptable replacement in a new city will present a considerable challenge.

DX-TEX
12-26-2013, 05:34 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/26/obrien-may-not-be-a-sure-thing-to-jump-to-nfl/

Less than two years removed from crippling Sandusky-fueled sanctions and still two seasons away from the ability to compete for bowl games, O’Brien could decide to continue the job he took after serving as Bill Belichick’s offensive coordinator in New England.

O’Brien wouldn’t be the first (or the last) football coach to say one thing and done another, and it would be hard to fault him for making a money grab at the next level. But family considerations also come into play, given that O’Brien’s 11-year-old son, Jack, has a medical condition that prevents him from walking or talking and results in near-daily seizures. The O’Briens reportedly have a high degree of comfort with the local medical care Jack is receiving and the elementary school Jack is attending; uprooting him from that while at the same time finding an acceptable replacement in a new city will present a considerable challenge.

Texans Childrens Hospital is just minutes away from Reliant.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 19m
Said on @NFL_ATL Live: Penn St. coach Bill O’Brien is high on #Texans radar. The plan between the 2 sides was to have an interview post-XMas

Send the jet Bob!

Texn4life
12-26-2013, 05:41 PM
I'm all in on bringing in O'Brien........ and call me crazy but I think I want Mangini as the DC. He has the creative mind it takes to get it done on that side of the ball to fix this defense.

Texecutioner
12-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Texans Childrens Hospital is just minutes away from Reliant.

Send the jet Bob!

:fans:

Right. We have the Houston Medical Center for that type of problem. Next?

Get him out here Bob. Schedule the interview.

amazing80
12-26-2013, 07:05 PM
I'm all in on bringing in O'Brien........ and call me crazy but I think I want Mangini as the DC. He has the creative mind it takes to get it done on that side of the ball to fix this defense.

Id prefer Rex

2slik4u
12-26-2013, 07:11 PM

Id prefer Rex

Jim Schwartz may be out of a job but from what I hear, he's a highly regarded defensive minded coach. Bill O'Brien and Schwartz have both coached underneath of "the hoody".

Could work out just fine...

This is strictly conjecture.

bckey
12-26-2013, 08:35 PM

OK. You are crazy.

badboy
12-26-2013, 08:45 PM
I think medical care especially for a child is not only to have a good doctor but one you want treating your kid. The old bed side manner thing.

aussie_texan
12-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Jim Schwartz may be out of a job but from what I hear, he's a highly regarded defensive minded coach. Bill O'Brien and Schwartz have both coached underneath of "the hoody".

Could work out just fine...

This is strictly conjecture.

with all the talent schwartz has on the defence and he still can't make it work. i would much rather rex ryan but i think he will be a HC job instead

Brisco_County
12-26-2013, 09:54 PM
O'Brien agrees to an interview with the Texans.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL Network's "Around the League Live" that O'Brien is one of the Houston Texans' top candidates to fill their coaching job, according to sources familiar with the team's process. O'Brien and the Texans agreed to have an interview after Christmas, which means it's already happened or it will happen in the near future.

Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000304446/article/bill-obrien-houston-texans-agree-to-interview).

badboy
12-26-2013, 09:55 PM

Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000304446/article/bill-obrien-houston-texans-agree-to-interview).
That surprises me but am glad.

thunderkyss
12-26-2013, 10:39 PM

...which means it's already happened or it will happen in the near future.

Hopefully it means it already happened, they agreed in principal, and aren't worried about having to deny it in the media.

Lucky
12-26-2013, 10:40 PM
O'Brien is intriguing, but I'd like to know what type of staff he would pull together. Would he bring in a lot of college coaches? Would he be able to pull from Belichick's current staff? That should be a big part in deciding whether to offer O'Brien the job.

Marshall
12-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Bill O Brien wouldn't be bad, but we need an alpha dog for our defense. i think best case would be Bill with Rex Ryan as DC, I think rex would do great things for this defense, but wouldn't want him as HC, only DC.

Rex's biggest problem will be overcoming the bad taste his father Buddy Ryan left in the mouths of Houstonians. I know it was the Oilers and 20 years ago, but the old men have long memories.

robroy72
12-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Rex's biggest problem will be overcoming the bad taste his father Buddy Ryan left in the mouths of Houstonians. I know it was the Oilers and 20 years ago, but the old men have long memories.

They also have DVRs.

bhsman
12-26-2013, 10:52 PM

Winning would wash away a lot of things, not the least of which would be memories. Rex would actually intrigue me a lot as a DC; he might not give a damn about NFL offenses on his teams but by golly his defenses are why the Jets have ever been competitive lately.

bckey
12-27-2013, 05:32 AM
Glad to hear we landed an interview with O'Brien. He shoots to the top of my list. I didn't think there was a chance of him leaving Penn State. This is the route the Texans need to go if it pans out. Much better than the retread route. Hopefully O'Brien turns out to be the Bellichik assistant that turns out to be a chip of the old block and not a Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weiss, Eric Mangini, or Josh McDaniels.

Fred
12-27-2013, 07:27 AM
O'Brien is intriguing, but I'd like to know what type of staff he would pull together.
He will bring in some of his friends who aren't good coaches, but are good friends.

Oops, my bad, I was still thinking of our last head coach...

cuppacoffee
12-27-2013, 08:35 AM

Well......It's about all we have left.

:coffee:

Marshall
12-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Glad to hear we landed an interview with O'Brien. He shoots to the top of my list. I didn't think there was a chance of him leaving Penn State. This is the route the Texans need to go if it pans out. Much better than the retread route. Hopefully O'Brien turns out to be the Bellichik assistant that turns out to be a chip of the old block and not a Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weiss, Eric Mangini, or Josh McDaniels.

I would certainly hope he was a step above Bellicheat, rather than a clone.

Brandon420tx
12-27-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm about to reach the point where I might not care if the Texans cheat as long as they win.

The Patriots and Broncos run so many rubs/pick plays with their WRs and TEs and get away with it. I'm waiting for a defender to just start knocking their receivers out when they do that **** but the damn player protection rules and fines are keeping that from happening.

Hervoyel
12-27-2013, 09:36 AM
If that's the way it's played now then we need to play that way. Either it's illegal and it's penalized or they ignore it and it is time the Texans got good at doing it.

It's time to win consistently and Belichick's team is one of the few that wins consistently. If he walked out of there and announced that his services were for sale I'd hire him immediately.

beerlover
12-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Since Penn State is on probation is not their season technically over & a deal could be reached with Bill O'Brien now?

The Pencil Neck
12-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Since Penn State is on probation is not their season technically over & a deal could be reached with Bill O'Brien now?

I believe so.

And since they've already talked to Lovie, they've already fulfilled the Rooney Rule.

Number19
12-27-2013, 09:56 AM
But the Texans will want to see what David Shaw is going to do - whether he's willing to leave Stanford - and this announcement and any interview won't happen until after the Jan 1st Rose Bowl.

ChampionTexan
12-27-2013, 09:58 AM

He's a college coach - pretty much all of them are available right now (for a price).

Signed,
Chris Peterson, Steve Sarkisian, and lots of others.

GNTLEWOLF
12-27-2013, 10:08 AM
I would love to get excited about OBrien, but :
1) No real decision has been made yet and we could just as easily wind up with Lovie Smith or somebody who they have not yet even interviewed. and
2) That sad little "Oh God, I hope not" itch inside of me keeps telling me that they may be waiting to see what will happen with the Redskins and Shanahan

TexansFight
12-27-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm so happy that we have or will be interviewing Coach O'Brien. I hope Bob pulls the trigger on him. I have said it before, I think O'Brien will be an elite NFL head coach and will be the guy to lead us to the promised land of a Super Bowl.

houstonspartan
12-27-2013, 10:58 AM
I would love to get excited about OBrien, but :

1) No real decision has been made yet and we could just as easily wind up with Lovie Smith or somebody who they have not yet even interviewed. and

2) That sad little "Oh God, I hope not" itch inside of me keeps telling me that they may be waiting to see what will happen with the Redskins and Shanahan

You need to get the Shanahan thoughts out of your head. McNair knows we just had 8 years of the Shanahan offense, and no way would he hire that guy.

MistaRed
12-27-2013, 11:04 AM
But the Texans will want to see what David Shaw is going to do - whether he's willing to leave Stanford - and this announcement and any interview won't happen until after the Jan 1st Rose Bowl.

David Shaw has already made it clear he's not leaving Stanford.

MistaRed
12-27-2013, 11:05 AM
I hope O''Brien aces his interview. This is who I want Ro be the next HC.

thunderkyss
12-27-2013, 11:08 AM
He will bring in some of his friends who aren't good coaches, but are good friends.

Oops, my bad, I was still thinking of our last head coach...

This is the way the NFL works. Our old coach was no different than every other NFL coach in his position. At times, there are variations to the theme. Sometimes, the GM has a little sway, a little influence & he's able to bring some of his friends to the party.

Our biggest "problem" was that Kubiak did a stint with SF a long time ago & had spent a long time in Denver. His circle wasn't very big.... Rick Smith came from that circle.

So let's say we get O'brien. He brings in McDaniels (if Belichick is not grooming him for New England), Vance Joseph stays..... That's a pretty good circle of influence there.

michaelm
12-27-2013, 11:11 AM
This is the way the NFL works. Our old coach was no different than every other NFL coach in his position. At times, there are variations to the theme. Sometimes, the GM has a little sway, a little influence & he's able to bring some of his friends to the party.

Our biggest "problem" was that Kubiak did a stint with SF a long time ago & had spent a long time in Denver. His circle wasn't very big.... Rick Smith came from that circle.

So let's say we get O'brien. He brings in McDaniels (if Belichick is not grooming him for New England), Vance Joseph stays..... That's a pretty good circle of influence there.

Why would Josh McDaniels leave NE in a lateral move to be OC for the Texans? And why would NE allow him to leave for the same position with another team?

thunderkyss
12-27-2013, 11:12 AM
If that's the way it's played now then we need to play that way. Either it's illegal and it's penalized or they ignore it and it is time the Texans got good at doing it.

It's got something to do with the way the do it. We've ran pick plays, but get called for it. I don't know why other teams seam to consistently get away with it.

thunderkyss
12-27-2013, 11:13 AM

Out of respect for Wade (which I'm past that point) I think Bob will wait till after our last game.

thunderkyss
12-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Why would Josh McDaniels leave NE in a lateral move to be OC for the Texans? And why would NE allow him to leave for the same position with another team?

I don't know what kind of obligations he has to the Patriots. But maybe he's ready to move on, maybe the Patriots have another guy they would rather in that position.... who knows?

beerlover
12-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Out of respect for Wade (which I'm past that point) I think Bob will wait till after our last game.

Would that be directly after the game Sunday or final press conference Monday? Maybe he waits a day or two after that, lol!

WolverineFan
12-27-2013, 11:29 AM

This. If we keep O'Brien on the hook to wait out Shaw and O'Brien takes another NFL job, that would be a massive fail.

ArlingtonTexan
12-27-2013, 11:29 AM

Texans are going to do more than two interviews down?

Texian
12-27-2013, 11:42 AM

Shaw is more than willing and all to happy to return to Stanford if he doesn't get the NFL deal he wants. $7 mil per year and full and complete control of all football operations might be what he wants and is waiting on to make the move. Shaw is on record as saying he likes Stanford and wants to stay. Shaw has also said that he would like to be an NFL Head Coach one day. The Texans are not a likely candidate for Shaw because of the Texans front office control. Shaw's future will become more certain the week after the Rose Bowl. If Shaw remains as adamant about staying at Stanford 2 weeks from now then he certainly becomes much more believable.

Bill O'Brien is part of the Belichick tree and all coaches desending from Belichick have been abysmal failures as NFL head coaches and also disappointing as a college head coaches. O'Brien has not done anything as a head coach that screams great success. Due to his popularity O'Brien like Shaw will also likely demand control of the roster. That eventually will take the Texans off O'Brien's radar as he will probably get a better offer.

thunderkyss
12-27-2013, 12:09 PM
:tinfoil:

Shaw is more than willing and all to happy to return to Stanford if he doesn't get the NFL deal he wants. $7 mil per year and full and complete control of all football operations might be what he wants and is waiting on to make the move.

Link? Without a link, this is supposition on your part. This is important to understand, because later you state the Texans is not a destination for Shaw, based on this supposition. We don't know that Shaw demands complete control... we also do not know that Texans are unwilling to give up that control.

Shaw may not be looking for $7M/yr, or complete control. He's probably looking for the right "family environment" where he knows he's going to get more than a fair shot to do the job he's being brought in to do.... say 8 years.

Shaw is on record as saying he likes Stanford and wants to stay. Shaw has also said that he would like to be an NFL Head Coach one day. The Texans are not a likely candidate for Shaw because of the Texans front office control.

^^ this is what I'm talking about ^^

Kubiak had complete control. Capers did not. We don't know what Bob has planned for the next regime. At the moment, it is totally possible that Bob does not.

Texian
12-27-2013, 12:58 PM
We don't know that Shaw demands complete control... we also do not know that Texans are unwilling to give up that control.

Shaw may not be looking for $7M/yr, or complete control. He's probably looking for the right "family environment" where he knows he's going to get more than a fair shot to do the job he's being brought in to do.... say 8 years.

^^ this is what I'm talking about ^^

Kubiak had complete control. Capers did not. We don't know what Bob has planned for the next regime. At the moment, it is totally possible that Bob does not.

Yes there is some supposition on my part. It is based on fact that I have never heard of any perspective head coach say, pay me a couple of million less than I can negotiate and give me as little control over the roster and players as possible. To the contrary, basic human behavior indicates perspective head coaches will want to make as much money as possible with as much control over players and rosters as they can get. That's what makes them attractive head coaches.

When you interview for perspective jobs do you tell your interviewer to pay you less than you can make and that you want less accountability with no responsibilities?

Unless the front office has reversed course since whining to NFLN about coaches having to much control, I have no reason to believe this position has changed.

JB
12-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Yes there is some supposition on my part. It is based on fact that I have never heard of any perspective head coach say, pay me a couple of million less than I can negotiate and give me as little control over the roster and players as possible. To the contrary, basic human behavior indicates perspective head coaches will want to make as much money as possible with as much control over players and rosters as they can get. That's what makes them attractive head coaches.

When you interview for perspective jobs do you tell your interviewer to pay you less than you can make and that you want less accountability with no responsibilities?

Unless the front office has reversed course since whining to NFLN about coaches having to much control, I have no reason to believe this position has changed.

So, in other words, you don't have a clue...

I seriously doubt that any first time NFL head coaching candidate anywhere has walked into a job interview and told the prospective employer that he demanded complete and utter control of all football operations.. " OR I'LL STAY AT PODUNK U!!!!!"

Number19
12-27-2013, 02:27 PM
David Shaw has already made it clear he's not leaving Stanford.If you have a link to an interview where this position is explicitly stated by Shaw, I'd appreciate seeing it. The only thing I've seen is speculation by the news media.

The Rose Bowl is less than a week away and by next Friday some kind of statement or response is likely to clarify his position.

Number19
12-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Shaw is more than willing and all to happy to return to Stanford if he doesn't get the NFL deal he wants. $7 mil per year and full and complete control of all football operations might be what he wants and is waiting on to make the move. Shaw is on record as saying he likes Stanford and wants to stay. Shaw has also said that he would like to be an NFL Head Coach one day. The Texans are not a likely candidate for Shaw because of the Texans front office control. Shaw's future will become more certain the week after the Rose Bowl. If Shaw remains as adamant about staying at Stanford 2 weeks from now then he certainly becomes much more believable.

Bill O'Brien is part of the Belichick tree and all coaches desending from Belichick have been abysmal failures as NFL head coaches and also disappointing as a college head coaches. O'Brien has not done anything as a head coach that screams great success. Due to his popularity O'Brien like Shaw will also likely demand control of the roster. That eventually will take the Texans off O'Brien's radar as he will probably get a better offer.This pretty much sums up the situation as it currently stands, with Shaw.

TEXANRED
12-27-2013, 02:31 PM
If you have a link to an interview where this position is explicitly stated by Shaw, I'd appreciate seeing it. The only thing I've seen is speculation by the news media.

The Rose Bowl is less than a week away and by next Friday some kind of statement or response is likely to clarify his position.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10149555/stanford-cardinal-david-shaw-not-interested-nfl-job/

houstonhurricane
12-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Make O'Brien happen now...God help us if we end up with Lovie, Mike Sherman or Wade...

/could live with Wisenhunt or Shaw too.

TEXANRED
12-27-2013, 02:52 PM
I wanna know if O'Brien has a fist that pops out of that that chin of his. Do you think that is his pen holder?

Texian
12-27-2013, 03:07 PM
So, in other words, you don't have a clue...

I seriously doubt that any first time NFL head coaching candidate anywhere has walked into a job interview and told the prospective employer that he demanded complete and utter control of all football operations.. " OR I'LL STAY AT PODUNK U!!!!!"

No, in other words I am pretty confidant that a high profile perspective NFL HC is going to want to make as money as they can with as much control as they can negotiate. Understand that most all perspective NFL HC are the ones being pursued so it is seller's (Head Coach's) market. As far as Shaw and O'Brien they could decide to stay at Podunk U. It might not be the first time they've made that decision. OR they could also decide to go to an NFL team that pays more AND offers them full control of player personnel. A lesser NFL HC profile or a "a last chance" candidate might better fit your expectations for a HC demands.

JB
12-27-2013, 03:27 PM
No, in other words I am pretty confidant that a high profile perspective NFL HC is going to want to make as money as they can with as much control as they can negotiate. Understand that most all perspective NFL HC are the ones being pursued so it is seller's (Head Coach's) market. As far as Shaw and O'Brien they could decide to stay at Podunk U. It might not be the first time they've made that decision. OR they could also decide to go to an NFL team that pays more AND offers them full control of player personnel. A lesser NFL HC profile or a "a last chance" candidate might better fit your expectations for a HC demands.

Name 1 First Time NFL Head Coaching Prospect that has gone in and demanded full control of football operations, let alone top dollar long term contract.

Texian
12-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Name 1 First Time NFL Head Coaching Prospect that has gone in and demanded full control of football operations, let alone top dollar long term contract.

Should we start with Kubiak? How about Carroll? Johnson? Parcels? Belichick? Fisher? Spurrier?

MistaRed
12-27-2013, 03:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10149555/stanford-cardinal-david-shaw-not-interested-nfl-job/

I think this covers the Shaw dilemma.

bckey
12-27-2013, 03:36 PM
I feel young in this thread.:smiliedance:

JB
12-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Should we start with Kubiak? How about Carroll? Johnson? Parcels? Belichick? Fisher? Spurrier?

Kubiak did not come in demanding full control and none of the others were first time head coaches...

jaayteetx
12-27-2013, 03:37 PM

Because coaches have never said one thing then did another...

Texian
12-27-2013, 03:39 PM

Here's the point JB. Come Monday there could be 6 openings to be an NFL HC. Now let's assume that 2 of those job openings the HC could negotiate for full control and 4 job openings the FO has full control. Perspective head coaches first choices will be with the teams that offer the most control.

Texian
12-27-2013, 03:42 PM

Coaches always say the right things about those who are delivering their current paycheck. Love the one you're with. If they didn't their two week notice would be on the way.

MistaRed
12-27-2013, 03:43 PM

He's been turning down nfl interviews for the last couple years. I think he means what he says. Money isn't everything.

Number19
12-27-2013, 05:03 PM
The one thing he hasn't accomplished at Stanford is a national title. Next year the NCAA starts a playoff format. With the strong statement he made on Dec 17th (the link) it is a real possibility he may want to wait a year or two and see if he can bring that championship trophy to his alma matre.

O'Brien would be an acceptable second choice for me.

Goldensilence
12-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Texans interested in O'Brien? Why? I don't see how he's emerged as a hot NFL NC candidate.

I'm especially leery of ex NE coordinators.

JB
12-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Here's the point JB. Come Monday there could be 6 openings to be an NFL HC. Now let's assume that 2 of those job openings the HC could negotiate for full control and 4 job openings the FO has full control. Perspective head coaches first choices will be with the teams that offer the most control.

The Texans job is rated as top opportunity in many circles according to the sources of some. Point I've been trying to get across is that I don't think that any have full control in either direction. It has to be a symbiotic relationship

Allstar
12-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Texans interested in O'Brien? Why? I don't see how he's emerged as a hot NFL NC candidate.

I'm especially leery of ex NE coordinators.

No one gets excited over a re-tread, and O'Brien is (along with Shaw) the media appointed next college to pro wonder coach. You have to give him his props for turning a no-win situation into a win at Penn State.

Texian
12-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Point I've been trying to get across is that I don't think that any have full control in either direction.

Belichick, Carroll, Kubiak (had), Shanahan for strarters.

JB
12-27-2013, 06:52 PM

I meant of the upcoming jobs for a first year head coach... I just don't think it's going to happen. I think for you to rule OBrien out for that is silly. I don't think he will ask for it and I don't think any team would grant it.

Texecutioner
12-27-2013, 07:42 PM
I meant of the upcoming jobs for a first year head coach... I just don't think it's going to happen. I think for you to rule OBrien out for that is silly. I don't think he will ask for it and I don't think any team would grant it.

Many teams will grant it if they really like the guy they got. Hell, Denver granted it for McDaniels who butchered up an up and coming hot team when he was hired. Kubiak got it here, just because he wasn't Capers and because he sold Mcnair on his "system" where he needed all of these Denver guys initially. BB has full control as well, but if he didn't have Brady his NE teams wouldn't be anywhere near as good, but he has kept control because of his success even though he really isn't that great as a GM. He is probably average. Guys get control for all different types of reasons, but NFL owners will give it up to the coach if they truly believe in their vision.

Marshall
12-27-2013, 08:02 PM

It's time to win consistently and Belichick's team is one of the few that wins consistently. If he walked out of there and announced that his services were for sale I'd hire him immediately.

But if the Texans start doing it, it WILL be called. But only against the Texans. Broncos, Patriots and other flavors of the month would never get that called. That's my problem with the Officials being too cozy with the NFL honchos.

Marshall
12-27-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm so happy that we have or will be interviewing Coach O'Brien. I hope Bob pulls the trigger on him. I have said it before, I think O'Brien will be an elite NFL head coach and will be the guy to lead us to the promised land of a Super Bowl.

Not even Moses could lead us to the promised land. I AM is the one who leads and I don't think he's choosing sides.

Marshall
12-27-2013, 08:09 PM

It's what he has to say...for another month. Then everything changes. He gets a raise and stays or gets a raise and leaves.

steelbtexan
12-27-2013, 10:00 PM
BoB is going to give Rick control.

BoB may or may not go cheap on his HC. (Probably cheap) If he doesn't go cheap on his HC I garuntee you he will go cheap on asst coaches. BoB has never paid for a top notch Asst coach, until Wade because he liked Gary and wanted to do everything possible to save Gary.

I expect a Lovie/Whisenhunt type HC hire.

JB
12-27-2013, 10:01 PM

BoB may or may not go cheap on his HC. (Probably cheap) If he doesn't go cheap on his HC I garuntee you he will go cheap on asst coaches. BoB has never paid for a top notch Asst coach, until Wade because he liked Gary and wanted to do everything possible to save Gary.

I hope you're wrong. I also hope that Mike Sherman is not a candidate

beerlover
12-27-2013, 10:04 PM

damn SB I've got to head back into the garage to pilfer my reserves to quench my depression :drunk:

michaelm
12-27-2013, 10:10 PM
damn SB I've got to head back into the garage to pilfer my reserves to quench my depression :drunk:

To be fair to SB, you were probably going to do it anyway...

TexansSeminole
12-27-2013, 10:22 PM
But if the Texans start doing it, it WILL be called. But only against the Texans. Broncos, Patriots and other flavors of the month would never get that called. That's my problem with the Officials being too cozy with the NFL honchos.

This ain't the NBA. The Raiders ran the same play against us for a TD.

Believe it or not but the league isn't out to screw the Texans, we do that to ourselves.

infantrycak
12-27-2013, 10:26 PM

So which is it, did the HCs pick their coordinators or did McNair limit their selections? You've been complaining for years about Kubiak's poor selection of coordinators so what is your information they actually wanted someone else and McNair said no?

steelbtexan
12-27-2013, 10:30 PM

Save some for me my friend.

thunderkyss
12-28-2013, 03:01 AM

There's nothing to indicate Shaw can negotiate a $7M/yr salary. Even if he were, there's nothing to indicate Bob won't pay it. There is also nothing to indicate that Shaw wants complete control of personnel, or that Bob is unwilling to give it up.

& we have no idea what Rick Smith's role will be in the future.

Rick Smith can whine all he wants. He's not calling the shots here, never has & most likely never will. Just because Rick is unhappy doesn't mean he will get more control.

thunderkyss
12-28-2013, 03:07 AM

Belichick did not have full control of football operations in Cleveland.

Carroll didn't have full control in New England. Fisher got stuck with Vince because he didn't have full control in Tennessee. Johnson? Jimi? You've got to be kidding.

Kubiak had final say of the 53. Not the same as full control of football operations.

& before you counter, remember... he said first time head coach. Far as I can remember, Kubiak is the only one that comes to mind & it was only of the 53 man roster. I don't know what kind of control Spurrier had.

I also don't think Parcels had full control of the Giants, but that's going way back.

thunderkyss
12-28-2013, 03:13 AM

Uh... Bob hired Sherman as a Kubiak safety blanket in the very beginning.

Marshall
12-28-2013, 03:21 AM
This ain't the NBA. The Raiders ran the same play against us for a TD.

Believe it or not but the league isn't out to screw the Texans, we do that to ourselves.

I don't believe that. I've seen too many ticky tacky fouls called against us (particularly Kareem and special teams) and blatant fouls not called against the NFL front office favorites. But it's not just us, it's anybody the NFL Marketing Department deems unworthy.

That's why I loved the replacement officials. They might not have been perfect, but they were even handed.

welsh texan
12-28-2013, 05:57 AM
I don't believe that. I've seen too many ticky tacky fouls called against us (particularly Kareem and special teams) and blatant fouls not called against the NFL front office favorites. But it's not just us, it's anybody the NFL Marketing Department deems unworthy.

That's why I loved the replacement officials. They might not have been perfect, but they were even handed.

This is a foolish statement.

Houston is one of their biggest markets, one of their most valuable franchises.

I see us letting our mid-talent walk year after year, making terrible picks I. The middle rounds of the draft, holding on to players too long after they go downhill, failing to manage injuries, making bad calls in FA, failing to rotate our players leaving them gassed at the end of games when every drive matters, I could go on.

You aren't hearing the NFL leak stories all the time about moving the Texans to LA or London. The NFL wants the Texans to be a powerhouse because it's good for business. You can't just throw around statements like that and see what sticks.

dalemurphy
12-28-2013, 08:23 AM

I see us letting our mid-talent walk year after year, making terrible picks I. The middle rounds of the draft, holding on to players too long after they go downhill, failing to manage injuries, making bad calls in FA, failing to rotate our players leaving them gassed at the end of games when every drive matters, I could go on.

You aren't hearing the NFL leak stories all the time about moving the Texans to LA or London. The NFL wants the Texans to be a powerhouse because it's good for business. You can't just throw around statements like that and see what sticks.

Certainly, I don't think there is a conspiracy. However, the NFL has created an atmosphere that lends itself to "Michael Jordan rules"... So many subjective decisions have been placed at the feet of the officials that there is an unavoidable tendency to skew calls towards the teams/players with the greatest reputations. Without a doubt, most referees will be quicker to throw "roughing the passer" when Brady/Manning/Brees get brushed against than Keenum/Pryor/Locker/etc...

That being said, we are 2-13 this year, not because of the NFL, but because we played inconsistently the first six weeks of the season, did not handle adversity well, and then cratered or quit about 6 weeks ago.

dalemurphy
12-28-2013, 08:31 AM
As I was researching O'brien's bio, I was suddenly deflated as I cam across this name (a RB he coached at Georgia Tech): Tony Hollings.... One of the names, long since forgotten, that belongs in the Texan Hall of Shame along with (Boselli, Carr, Weaver, Buchanan, Ryan Young, Joppru, Charles Spencer, J.Mathis, Ahman Green, Eric Moulds, Seth Wand, Amobi Okoye, Petey Faggins)- nothing against some of those guys, but it is a list that tells a story of woe, that's for sure, and Hollings name had slipped from my memory until 15 minutes ago. Thanks Bill O'Brien!

Texian
12-28-2013, 10:39 AM

Sherman was Gary's choice and it took Sherman a few days to make up his mind after getting fired from Green Bay. It was Gary who made the comments that he wanted Sherman because of his HC experience. Gary eventually got his man in every coaching hire with the one exception of Wade. Wade was a Bob hire.

steelbtexan
12-28-2013, 10:51 AM

Uh...... You consider Sherman to be a top notch OC/OL coach?

Did you see the Dolphins offense last Sunday. Sherman fit the Friends of Gary description.

Marshall
12-28-2013, 11:05 AM

That is MY observation. You may disagree without telling me I can't express MY observation. In fact. that is what this board is for. I challenge you to look at the recordings and not see what I saw. Many times Kareem would look back and still get called. Perhaps because he uses his eyes more with a subtle head turn and doesn't make the dramatic head turn some other backs do or perhaps because the officials no longer feel they need to give us equal treatment because we're no longer a flavor of the month team.

I do not dispute the reasons for our decline are more along the lines of your response, but my statement is about another factor, not the only factor.

Allstar
12-28-2013, 11:24 AM

Did you see the Dolphins offense last Sunday. Sherman fit the Friends of Gary description.

At the time, we all considered hiring Sherman a huge get. You know what they say about hindsight...

deucetx
12-28-2013, 11:40 AM

Exaggerating a bit. Kubiak, yes. Main reasoning though is he had an owner uneducated in how the league plays and who had meetings with Kubiak and Smith as he learned his way. Easy to say at this point McNair is no longer uneducated in that department.

Belichik did not have full authority. In fact, some of the more bigger moves he got approval from Art Modell before hand. His first coaching was with the Browns after all. He had say but not some mystical full authority. All coaches have some say in personnel unless under a GM with an iron hand which is more rare than often.

Carroll also did not have full authority. His first coaching job was with the Patriots. His experiences with the Patriots and the power issues there is what caused him requesting more in Seattle.

Shanny did not have full authority either. It was one of the issues. His first job was with the Raiders. He and Al Davis butted heads often and frequently hence his short time period there.

Previous you named Spurrier who also didn't have full authority and even got overridden by Snyder. Fisher didn't either as that wasn't a case that happened with a Bud Adams team.

Coaches generally have input on personnel and that won't change. Only the most heavy handed GM's and owners would make it their sole responsibility and that is rare in this league. So no, the common stance is coaches have strong input on personnel and they choose their own staff.

Also I believe a point was brought McNair would be cheap in regards to staff (though again staff is chosen by the head coach 9 times out of 10). The Texans are one of the top teams in money spent. McNair is hardly cheap. Last time the listing came out we were 7th in this area.

Texian
12-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Exaggerating a bit. Kubiak, yes. Main reasoning though is he had an owner uneducated in how the league plays and who had meetings with Kubiak and Smith as he learned his way. Easy to say at this point McNair is no longer uneducated in that department.

Belichik did not have full authority. In fact, some of the more bigger moves he got approval from Art Modell before hand. His first coaching was with the Browns after all. He had say but not some mystical full authority. All coaches have some say in personnel unless under a GM with an iron hand which is more rare than often.

Carroll also did not have full authority. His first coaching job was with the Patriots. His experiences with the Patriots and the power issues there is what caused him requesting more in Seattle.

Shanny did not have full authority either. It was one of the issues. His first job was with the Raiders. He and Al Davis butted heads often and frequently hence his short time period there.

Previous you named Spurrier who also didn't have full authority and even got overridden by Snyder. Fisher didn't either as that wasn't a case that happened with a Bud Adams team.

Coaches generally have input on personnel and that won't change. Only the most heavy handed GM's and owners would make it their sole responsibility and that is rare in this league. So no, the common stance is coaches have strong input on personnel and they choose their own staff.

Also I believe a point was brought McNair would be cheap in regards to staff (though again staff is chosen by the head coach 9 times out of 10). The Texans are one of the top teams in money spent. McNair is hardly cheap. Last time the listing came out we were 7th in this area.

Tell us who did have control then.

Texian
12-28-2013, 11:53 AM
There's nothing to indicate Shaw can negotiate a $7M/yr salary. Even if he were, there's nothing to indicate Bob won't pay it. There is also nothing to indicate that Shaw wants complete control of personnel, or that Bob is unwilling to give it up.

& we have no idea what Rick Smith's role will be in the future.

Rick Smith can whine all he wants. He's not calling the shots here, never has & most likely never will. Just because Rick is unhappy doesn't mean he will get more control.

Please tell us what head coach asked for less money, less control, accountability and responsibility. So if Rick Smith is to remain a nobody are you saying that Bob McNair is going Jerry Jones? Who was last owner prior to McNair to fire a head coach in season?

ChampionTexan
12-28-2013, 11:53 AM

Well, your exact comment was Bob has never paid for a top notch assistant, and the point was clearly that he's too cheap, as it followed your guarantee he would go cheap on assistants. I would say that given his demand and resume at the time, Sherman clearly contradicts your comment. So did Alex Gibbs and Ray Rhodes for that matter.

Once again your eagerness to hate has squashed your ability to intelligently evaluate.

infantrycak
12-28-2013, 12:18 PM

Kubiak was unusual also in that McNair was relying heavily on Dan Reeves in how to restart the team.

steelbtexan
12-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Well, your exact comment was Bob has never paid for a top notch assistant, and the point was clearly that he's too cheap, as it followed your guarantee he would go cheap on assistants. I would say that given his demand and resume at the time, Sherman clearly contradicts your comment. So did Alex Gibbs and Ray Rhodes for that matter.

Once again your eagerness to hate has squashed your ability to intelligently evaluate.

Gibbs was well paid and rightfully so, tell me was Sherman highly paid? I dont think so.

Was Rhodes highly paid? Probably not.

bah007
12-28-2013, 12:52 PM
I don't think it's fair to call McNair cheap. Has he trusted the wrong people or made bad decisions? Yes. But I don't think cheap is a fair criticism.

Hervoyel
12-28-2013, 12:54 PM
As I was researching O'brien's bio, I was suddenly deflated as I cam across this name (a RB he coached at Georgia Tech): Tony Hollings.... One of the names, long since forgotten, that belongs in the Texan Hall of Shame along with (Boselli, Carr, Weaver, Buchanan, Ryan Young, Joppru, Charles Spencer, J.Mathis, Ahman Green, Eric Moulds, Seth Wand, Amobi Okoye, Petey Faggins)- nothing against some of those guys, but it is a list that tells a story of woe, that's for sure, and Hollings name had slipped from my memory until 15 minutes ago. Thanks Bill O'Brien!

Why would you care? Tony Hollings produced for Georgia Tech. Maybe if he'd had a coach like O'Brien here in Houston he wouldn't have been such a footnote and warning to others here

badboy
12-28-2013, 01:06 PM
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?
Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground....

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was
Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was

Full song here by Talking Heads:
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/t/talking+heads/once+in+a+lifetime_20135070.html

beerlover
12-28-2013, 01:07 PM
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?
Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground....

Full song here by Talking Heads:
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/t/talking+heads/once+in+a+lifetime_20135070.html

love Talking Heads....