PDA

View Full Version : What to Expect from Interim HC Wade Phillips

michaelm
12-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Wade has three games to audition for the position of permanent HC. What, if any significant changes do you expect to see?

We've already seen an article on the official site stating that there will be changes to special teams, but not real detail was given.
I am hoping to see Derrick Newton occupying bench space for the rest of the season.
I also want to see more Posey, and less KMart.
Will there be any different offensive plays added? And will Wade add plays specifically to help Keenum succeed? I think you can expect it. Wade's future as HC might well depend on what he can do with Keenum in the remaining games.

I'm especially interested to see if Wade makes any changes on defense. I really don't expect any, but I would find it interesting if Wade were to change things on that side of the ball.

Uncle Rico
12-10-2013, 10:03 AM
A whole lot of what happened to the cowgirls last night.

JB
12-10-2013, 10:07 AM
What I want to see is 60 min of solid football. More creative, less predictable hard nosed football.

What I expect to see is Dennison using Kubiaks menu and no real changes

I don't think Wade will change much at all but for maybe dl rotation

2slik4u
12-10-2013, 10:20 AM
I expect to finish the season 2-14 and retain rights to the #1 pick.

Brisco_County
12-10-2013, 10:22 AM
He'll work with Dennison to adapt the offense to Keenum's strengths. More shotgun or pistol formations. I wouldn't be surprised to see other players get a shot at kick returns, like Dennis Johnson.

DX-TEX
12-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Case unleashing his inner dragon and Wade telling him "**** it! Go deep!"

TheIronDuke
12-10-2013, 10:24 AM
It'll be interesting if all of a sudden the defense starts forcing turnovers and getting to the QB.

Dutchrudder
12-10-2013, 10:25 AM

This is the most important thing. It ensures that we get the number 1 pick, and ensures that Wade will not be the coach next year.

santo
12-10-2013, 10:26 AM
It'll be interesting if all of a sudden the defense starts forcing turnovers and getting to the QB.

It was Wade's plan all along to take the Head coaching position. :shades:

PapaL
12-10-2013, 10:28 AM
I expect the Defense to give up more points than the Offense can score.

Pretty much status quo.

TexansSeminole
12-10-2013, 10:29 AM
I expect to continue to see us run predictable defense schemes that aren't putting our players in position to make plays on the ball. Constant blitzing that doesn't hit home.

On offense, I expect the same scheme with slightly different playcalling.

Overall, I expect a group of guys that play like they are collectively saying "can this season just end?"

Playoffs
12-10-2013, 10:34 AM
I wish I could recall where I read a "Houston, take it from a Cowboys fan: Don't hire Wade" article but I'm at a loss.

All I find is this: http://firewadephillips.com/ http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif

Whatever uplift we may see I won't attribute to Phillips' amazing turnaround coaching skills anymore than I'd lay a 3 game losing continuation at his feet. And Dennison is just a poor man's Kubiak, in my book.

Now I like Wade like I like Gary..... and I may not have an issue with him staying on as a coordinator..... but I do have concerns about his unwillingness to make changes that was highlighted by Ed Reed. Monte Kiffin is the same way with his Tampa 2, and we see how that's working in Dallas.

http://image1.frequency.com/uri/w354_h200_ctrim_ll/_/item/1/1/0/1/Remember_The_Titans_Novacaine_110181405_thumbnail. jpg
Boone walks in with a very thin playbook and hands it to Coach Yoast...

Boone: Just wanted to let you know what the offense is doing.

Yoast: Awful skinny playbook, ain't it?

Boone: I run 6 plays, split veer. It's like novocaine. Just give it time, it always works.
Works in the movies, not always in real life.

BullNation4Life
12-10-2013, 11:06 AM
I find myself thinking of that universal quote when thinking of what to expect from Interim HC Wade Phillips...

The more things change...the more they stay the same...

2-14, here they come!

kiwitexansfan
12-10-2013, 11:10 AM
I am dreading a dead cat bounce, losing the #1 pick and Wade getting hired.

What I expect is more losing, but with more charming interviews.

badboy
12-10-2013, 11:30 AM
If Wade knew how to fix the defense it should have been by now. He has to allow Dennison to run offense but will D be brave enough now that Kubes is gone to do so?Hopefully, he believes he is playing for his job and goes all out to win.

Hervoyel
12-10-2013, 12:14 PM
I believe that what puts a team into something like a 11 (headed for 14) game losing streak is not just a bad coach or an outdated philosophy. I don't think it's an overwhelming lack of talent either. We saw guys this season just literally become incapable of executing basic stuff they've been doing for a few years. Teams get into a funk sometimes and can't pull out of it. Maybe they stopped believing in what they were doing? Maybe they started believing their press clippings?

Who knows how it happens but to see an entire team on both sides of the ball just suddenly cease to function isn't normal. Once those losses start piling up it starts to take on a life of its own. The Lions got into that kind of quagmire when they went 0-16. The Texans did it under Capers in his 2-14 season and almost seemed to be in it when they went 6-10 a few years ago.

I will not be surprised to see a 2-1 finish on the year. I'm expecting an 0-3 but I think the players might surprise us if Phillips changes up enough of the routine to shake them out of this. A win in Indianapolis would be our Super Bowl this year (to borrow that tired expression) and while I doubt it would generate enough lift on its own to get us past the Broncos the Colts and Titans are both very beatable.

My fear is that Wade wins two of the three and becomes a legitimate candidate for the job. Those players and coaches don't give a damn about any first round draft pick. they want to get the stink of this season off of them and a win or two will do that. They just might manage it. Wade is good at this sort of thing too. Very scary situation for Texans fans.

chicagotexan2
12-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Wades specialty is defense and this defense has played like garbage. Why should anyone expect anything other than a continuation of this collapse?

The Pencil Neck
12-10-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm expecting 0-3.

Thorn
12-10-2013, 12:40 PM
I expect 0-3, and at the very most, 1-2.

Wade will be MUCH more entertaining at the pressers even after losses. I expect them to announce the new coach before Jan 1.

DocBar
12-10-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm expecting an overdose on the utterly lost and confused stare on the sidelines and a continuation of what we've seen all year.

Wade is part of the problem, not the solution.

BTW, is Wade still acting as DC or has he elevated one of his position coaches? I can't remember if I read anything on that or not.

michaelm
12-10-2013, 12:59 PM
I also expect more poor play and losing games, but my question is about what specific changes do you think Wade will try.
He's going to make changes. He's auditioning for the permanent position.

thunderkyss
12-10-2013, 01:01 PM
I bet we win for the first time in Indy.

We're going to see some different things & we're going to say those are the things that led to the win.

But I'm thinking firing a head-coach is a wake up call to the whole team.

I bet we go 3-0 from here on out (yes, we're going to beat Denver). But I hope that doesn't lead us to making Wade Phillips our HC.

DocBar
12-10-2013, 01:13 PM
I also expect more poor play and losing games, but my question is about what specific changes do you think Wade will try.
He's going to make changes. He's auditioning for the permanent position.The only real changes he could make would be on the offensive side of the ball and I shudder to think what those might be.

If he makes very noticable changes on the defensive side, wouldn't you think that would undermine his chances at the HC position? The obvious question being why didn't he make those changes before?

Double Barrel
12-10-2013, 01:14 PM

This is the most important thing. It ensures that we get the number 1 pick, and ensures that Wade will not be the coach next year.

If I expect anything, it would be the above quotes.

I think Wade is a good guy, but he's not a genius that can fix suck overnight. This team is terrible.

texanhead08
12-10-2013, 01:16 PM

We're going to see some different things & we're going to say those are the things that led to the win.

I bet we go 3-0 from here on out (yes, we're going to beat Denver). But I hope that doesn't lead us to making Wade Phillips our HC.

http://thewordeyeheard.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/chile-please.jpg

DBCooper
12-10-2013, 01:17 PM
My fear is that Wade wins two of the three and becomes a legitimate candidate for the job. Those players and coaches don't give a damn about any first round draft pick. they want to get the stink of this season off of them and a win or two will do that. They just might manage it. Wade is good at this sort of thing too. Very scary situation for Texans fans.

It is scary to think about Wade as head coach, but I think they already know exactly what they have in Wade Phillips.

HOU-TEX
12-10-2013, 01:20 PM
To be quite honest, I haven't a clue.

It'd be kinda hard to make any drastic changes in such a limited time frame. Maybe a positional change or two? It sounds like there might be a possibility someone else will be calling the offense.

I think we're too limited in time and player depth. There's been a major change in the organization, so the players might actually play for their jobs like they're supposed to

Thorn
12-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Wade is part of the problem, not the solution.

Exactly. He needs to go along with ALL the coaches and Rick Smith and anyone else associated with this team. I don't think there will be this complete of a house cleaning though, but I'll take what I can get. Hopefully both the OC and DC and all their position coaches go out the door with the new head coach. That much is not to much to realistically expect.

TheIronDuke
12-10-2013, 02:35 PM
I would like to point something out that is a new potential record our team can set this season which is fewest turnovers forced in a full season. The record is 12 by the Redskins in 2006. We're at 9 right now and I think we're looking good at breaking the record. We obviously won't get any interceptions so if we can somehow only pick up a couple of fumbles in the next 3 games, we'll be in the record books.

leebigeztx
12-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Wades specialty is defense and this defense has played like garbage. Why should anyone expect anything other than a continuation of this collapse?

Pretty much

CretorFrigg
12-10-2013, 03:29 PM
What is Wade wins out, ruins our #1 overall pick, and becomes our new HC? Ponder that.

Double Barrel
12-10-2013, 03:33 PM
I would like to point something out that is a new potential record our team can set this season which is fewest turnovers forced in a full season. The record is 12 by the Redskins in 2006. We're at 9 right now and I think we're looking good at breaking the record. We obviously won't get any interceptions so if we can somehow only pick up a couple of fumbles in the next 3 games, we'll be in the record books.

lol! The Texans already set at least one dubious record this year with the pick 6 streak, so why not another one?

Yay, Go Texans, you really do suck this year! :clap: :texflag: :clap:

acal21
12-10-2013, 06:54 PM
As bad as Indy has looked in recent weeks, they get it together and win

Im not sure I want a Texans W, I could honestly careless about the 1st pick.. one day i look at scouting reports and I want the 1st pick other days I don't even wanna think about how bad the Texans could miss

But the main reason I don't want a W is so that i could go into the offseason feeling comfortable that Wade is not gonna come back and be our Head Coach

Vance87
12-10-2013, 06:56 PM
What is Wade wins out, ruins our #1 overall pick, and becomes our new HC? Ponder that.

I think ol' Bob may be run out of town on a rail of that happened.

76Texan
12-10-2013, 08:15 PM
To be quite honest, I haven't a clue.

It'd be kinda hard to make any drastic changes in such a limited time frame. Maybe a positional change or two? It sounds like there might be a possibility someone else will be calling the offense.

I think we're too limited in time and player depth. There's been a major change in the organization, so the players might actually play for their jobs like they're supposed to

Who knows.
The players might have been on a secret mutiny to push out all of the coaches, LOL.

Texan_Bill
12-10-2013, 08:19 PM
A whole lot of what happened to the cowgirls last night.

Why? WTH does the 'Gurls performance last night have anything to do with Wade or the Texans?

JB
12-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Why? WTH does the 'Gurls performance last night have anything to do with Wade or the Texans?

You want sensible? Here?

Texan_Bill
12-10-2013, 08:22 PM

Wouldn't be the worst thing. David Carr and Mario Williams were #1 overall picks.

Wade has a winning % as a HC. Has he failed in the playoffs? Sure.

The Texans need a QB and with this year's draft class who cares if you pick 1st, 4th or whatever. This year is a rich draft class for QB's. I'm not saying it's 1983, but damn good.

Texan_Bill
12-10-2013, 08:25 PM
You want sensible? Here?

HA!! No wonder I don't visit here much anymore my brother! BTW, as an aside, hope all is well!

2slik4u
12-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Wouldn't be the worst thing. David Carr and Mario Williams were #1 overall picks.

Wade has a winning % as a HC. Has he failed in the playoffs? Sure.

The Texans need a QB and with this year's draft class who cares if you pick 1st, 4th or whatever. This year is a rich draft class for QB's. I'm not saying it's 1983, but damn good.

I respect the hell out of ya, Bill but I honestly believe this WOULD be the worst thing. If wade stays our team takes a extremely large step back.

Absolute worst case scenario for me is wade staying as our HC.

Hervoyel
12-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Who knows.
The players might have been on a secret mutiny to push out all of the coaches, LOL.

True and maybe they're done now, maybe they got one more coach to send packing. We'll know the answer to that in three more weeks.

Texan_Bill
12-10-2013, 09:25 PM
I respect the hell out of ya, Bill but I honestly believe this WOULD be the worst thing. If wade stays our team takes a extremely large step back.

Absolute worst case scenario for me is wade staying as our HC.

I dunno brother. Wade gets a bad rap as a HC.... He actually hasn't been that bad as a HC with the exception of that circus in DullAss!!

That said, I'm excited about all kinds of perspective candidates!!

TexansSeminole
12-10-2013, 09:28 PM
If the game has passed Wade strictly based on his defensive schemes and calls, I in no way want to see what would happen if he were to be a HC again.

ArlingtonTexan
12-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Not expecting anything but Wade to do a professional enough job for 3 weeks.

2slik4u
12-10-2013, 09:37 PM
I dunno brother. Wade gets a bad rap as a HC.... He actually hasn't been that bad as a HC with the exception of that circus in DullAss!!

That said, I'm excited about all kinds of perspective candidates!!

I know what you're saying and I know his numbers are great when you step back and look at his career but I'm ready for some new blood. Some young blood. If Shanny (senior) said he was interested I would not be happy about that and some would say he is a coaching legend. I think it's time we got a fresh overhaul and I think a guy like shaw or O'Brien would be just what the doctor ordered.

Ol' Wade is a pin cushion that doesn't command the respect or discipline and with our young team, it's respect, discipline and leadership is what they need.

Just my opinion...although I've never had an offer myself to be a GM of an NFL team so maybe I should just leave the thinkin' to the pros.

Brisco_County
12-10-2013, 09:53 PM
He puts in Matt Schaub on Sunday and gets fired on Monday.

michaelm
12-10-2013, 10:42 PM
He puts in Matt Schaub on Sunday and gets fired on Monday.

That will never happen.

If he puts Schaub in on Sunday, he'll never make it to Monday. He'd probably have to have to pay his own airfare home.

SchaubApologist
12-10-2013, 10:57 PM
I expect Wade to drop dead for Ted, like a good company man would.

A Redskins victory + Texans loss would pretty much guarantee us 1.1

htownfan32
12-10-2013, 11:27 PM
It'd be funny if we lose to Denver and the Titans in Tennessee but somehow beat Indy in Indy.

Brisco_County
12-11-2013, 12:33 AM
That will never happen.

Bet on it. Then by Tuesday they announce Mack Brown as the new coach.

Showtime100
12-11-2013, 02:48 AM
What I expect from Wade? I like the guy, but really don't want him as HC.

I wonder if this from MASH scene has taken place............

Frank Burns: I won't let you down, sir.

Col. Potter: There's no way you can, 'cause I don't expect nothin' of ya.

YeaLikeRightNow
12-11-2013, 05:45 AM
Was listening to a taped interview with Wade yesterday....on 610am, and it was almost scary that his voice almost sounded just like Kubes.

HOU-TEX
12-11-2013, 08:55 AM
What I expect from Wade? I like the guy, but really don't want him as HC.

I wonder if this from MASH scene has taken place............

Frank Burns: I won't let you down, sir.

Col. Potter: There's no way you can, 'cause I don't expect nothin' of ya.

Had to Rep for the M.A.S.H. reference. My favorite show as a youngster

michaelm
12-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Bet on it. Then by Tuesday they announce Mack Brown as the new coach.

Sure. Avatar bet?

drs23
12-11-2013, 10:06 AM

TK, twist an extra for me ol' buddy, ol' pal. :howdy:

thunderkyss
12-11-2013, 11:54 AM

I just heard that the Cowboys were the only NFL team without a website. They can't figure out how to put three Ws together.

I know, coming from us it's not so funny. I heard this from a Cowboy hater & it was funnier coming from him.

Double Barrel
12-11-2013, 04:19 PM

I don't know, TB. Wade's playoff record is 1-5 with four different teams. Funny thing about his stint with Dallas is that's his only playoff win and the Cowboys only playoff win since the '90's dynasty.

Kubiak is 2-2 in the playoffs by comparison.

CloakNNNdagger
12-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Wade:

We had officials out at the practice today. Obviously, it’s something that we need to address, so we had Big 12 officials. But we had a whole group of officials that were calling penalties, throwing flags. We want to over-emphasize certainly that area so w that we can cut down on the number of penalties we have. The only way I know how to do it is attack the problem, so that’s what we did there.

Art Briles was out at practice today. I don’t want to start any rumors (joking), but he’s a friend of mine for one thing. As far as those rumors, he did not want to be my offensive coordinator (joking). He did a tremendous job at Baylor obviously and I was glad for him. His daughter worked with us at Dallas with the Cowboys. So I’ve known him for several years and congratulated him certainly for a tremendous year.”

(on how the team responded to having officials at practice today) “Well, we told them what we expected. We know the problem. We know some of the problems. One of them is too many penalties, so we addressed the problem like I said. I think they were comfortable with that. We did have a few penalties in the practice and so we’re addressing that in their meetings now. I think it’s a logical thing to do.”

(on who will call plays and if he came to a resolution) “Yeah, we did. Rick Dennison will still be in the booth. We’re going to bring Dan Hammer (Hammerschmidt) down on the field and the play calling will go Rick through Karl (Dorrell). And then Karl will also have some input as far as more of the passing game than the running game. Of course, Karl’s in constant communication with the quarterback when the quarterback’s out of the game and obviously when he’s in the game, really. We’re going to proceed that way. Defensively, Vance Joseph will probably make the calls defensively with my help, obviously, overseeing him. Again, the running part of the defense, Reggie Herring will be involved in that. We’re going to collaborate more.”

(on who will make the final play calls for the offense) “Rick (Dennison) will make the call from the booth to start with. We still have time for Karl (Dorrell’s) input or any of the other coaches. And then Hammer (Dan Hammerschmidt) helps on the sideline.”

(on if Rick Dennison will still calls the offensive plays with Karl Dorrell having an influence in the passing game) “Yes, that’s correct. I wish I would have said it that way.”

(on how much influence he’ll have on the offense) “Well, first of all, the head coach, you have to be aware of situations. I think there’s a lot to game situations as far as making calls as far as whether you run or pass, whether you punt, whether you go for it on fourth down, whether you kick a field goal. All of those things come into, I think, helping to win or lose ball games, especially close games. I try to be on top of that. I do have experience being a head coach in that direction.”

(on what stands out about Bob Ligashesky and his thoughts on the special teams overall this season) “Again, I wasn’t involved special teams or offense during the season except for now. I could tell you Lig is a very detailed guy. I think the players have really, if you ask the players, they’ve liked what he’s done so far. As far as teaching, I like the way he teaches. I thought he communicated really well today with the players. And his enthusiasm, that kind of thing I think will benefit us.”

(on if Bob Ligashesky is active on the practice field) “Oh, yeah. He’s loud and that’s what you need with a special teams coach because they’ve got to coach a bunch of guys at one time and the other guys that are out still have to hear him. He does a good job of that. But he’s very detailed—very, very detailed—and I think the players will know what they’re supposed to do. That’s the first thing.”

(on how different practices are run now compared to when he was the interim head coach earlier in the season) “It’s different in that, when I took over before, we did exactly the same things the same way. We’ve changed some of the periods, some of the things that we do. We’ve made it more of a game situation. I can go into all of the changes, but some of them are subtle. Some of them are more, a lot different than they’ve done before. We put the special teams in during practice rather than before practice or after practice. I wanted to make it a game-type situation where they go offense, then they go defense, then they go special teams, then they have to come back out and do those things again. That’s part of what we did.”

(on having a lot of penalties last game, but not having many in the two prior games) “Like I said, we had a lot. I don’t want it to continue and so that’s why we addressed it with the officials and with the team. It’s something that you’re going to hurt yourself if you overlook that. So that’s what we’re doing.”

(on what changed with the penalties particularly for the game last week) “Well, winning wasn’t a problem after the first two games, but it was a problem after that. I think you’ve just go to, whatever you perceive the problems as, you have to attack them and work on them.”

thunderkyss
12-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Wade:
(on having a lot of penalties last game, but not having many in the two prior games) “Like I said, we had a lot. I don’t want it to continue and so that’s why we addressed it with the officials and with the team. It’s something that you’re going to hurt yourself if you overlook that. So that’s what we’re doing.”

Someone should have asked him if he thought penalties were a problem when he was DC. Top 5 in yards, bottome quartile in points. How does that happen Wade?

CloakNNNdagger
12-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Someone should have asked him if he thought penalties were a problem when he was DC. Top 5 in yards, bottome quartile in points. How does that happen Wade?

Wade: "What penalties you speak of, Kemosabe?"

cuppacoffee
12-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Not expecting anything but Wade to do a professional enough job for 3 weeks.

This is what I expect. I doubt Wade has any expectations of getting the HC job after the way his defense has been playing.

Wades defense pretty much threw him under the bus in the Jax game.

Only thing left to do is identify the quitters before the new coach takes over.

Players will need to do a lot of proving they belong here in the next three games. :doghouse:

:coffee:

The Pencil Neck
12-11-2013, 11:46 PM

Well... the offense throwing pick-6's doesn't help.

TheIronDuke
12-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Well... the offense throwing pick-6's doesn't help.

Add in the fact that the defense forces a pathetic number of turnovers (see sig) and you've got a real mess on your hands.

Number19
12-12-2013, 06:30 PM
I expect 0-3, and at the very most, 1-2.

Wade will be MUCH more entertaining at the pressers even after losses. I expect them to announce the new coach before Jan 1.Michigan State & Stanford don't play until the 1st. They won't approach David Shaw, at the earliest, until the 2nd. It would really be classy to wait until Monday the 6th. You might not expect an announcement on this prospect until maybe mid-week.

CloakNNNdagger
12-12-2013, 08:03 PM
(on TE Garrett Graham’s status) “Well, he hasn’t practiced the last two days. We’re obviously worried about that. We’re down to two tight ends, but only one of them has played. And he’s played as a backup. (Ryan) Griffin’s really the only that’s played.”

(on if they’ll use extra tackles depending on how the tight end situation is for this week’s game) “Yeah, we have that in our package to be able to put a tackle in at tight end, those kinds of things. We still have a full back. We still have a two-back offense and we’d have to make some adjustments as far as two tight ends.”

That situation will really help out Case's game. :wadepalm:

(on what makes NT Earl Mitchell so unique for his position) “Earl’s very fast for a defensive linemen and has tremendous desire to get to the football. He makes a lot of assists. They’re not many defensive linemen, defensive tackles, nose guards that make as many assists as he does. He does a really good job at that because he’s relentless.”

If Wade sticks around, don't look for a fat boy in the middle. :toropalm:

Texan_Bill
12-12-2013, 08:17 PM
I don't know, TB. Wade's playoff record is 1-5 with four different teams. Funny thing about his stint with Dallas is that's his only playoff win and the Cowboys only playoff win since the '90's dynasty.

Kubiak is 2-2 in the playoffs by comparison.

I totally hear ya, man.

I've said it before, Wade's playoff record sucks. That said, he as a HC gets a bad rap (actually a winning record). That coupled with McNair's allegiances to local folk, I can easily see Wade being hired on.

If that were to happen, they would definitely have to find a good OC, because Dennison is not that guy.

If McNair is totally committed to getting a great coach here, what does he do? Hire from the college ranks? That hasn't always been successful. Does he take a chance on the "Coordinator d' jour"?

In any event, this team still has a lot of young talent, and a guy who is growing older in the tooth, but still one of the best receivers in the league in AJ.... Let's give this guy a chance!! He deserves it. He deserves to be in the HOF not just based on his numbers, but also what a character guy he is. #17K this year at Toys 'R us!

The off-season (including the draft) should be way more fun than this season was, for sure!!!

*EDIT*

PS...... Bro, I think McNair is making a mistake in not firing Rick Smith as well.

Hire a reputable GM (not that Smith hasn't made a few good moves), but he's also missed on a lot draft choices, too. The Texans hired Kubiak before they hired their GM, a friend and colleague from Denver.. Seems to me that's bassadkwards! Who really was the personnel decision maker in that scenario??

Meh!!! I'm just babbling at this point.

Double Barrel
12-13-2013, 11:29 AM
I agree, TB. I like Wade in general. And I would not be shocked to see him go 2-1 or 3-0 to end the season, which might lead to a decision to keep him at HC and go with Keenum and pick up a vet QB to compete for the position.

I say this because McNair's words. He does not want a rebuild and expects a playoff contender next year. This tells me that they are not going to get a HC that wants to overhaul the team for his system(s) and new coaching staff.

McNair wants someone to step in and retool and refocus what is already here. Wade fits that description.

drs23
12-13-2013, 06:04 PM
I agree, TB. I like Wade in general. And I would not be shocked to see him go 2-1 or 3-0 to end the season, which might lead to a decision to keep him at HC and go with Keenum and pick up a vet QB to compete for the position.

I say this because McNair's words. He does not want a rebuild and expects a playoff contender next year. This tells me that they are not going to get a HC that wants to overhaul the team for his system(s) and new coaching staff.

McNair wants someone to step in and retool and refocus what is already here. Wade fits that description.

And as badly as I dislike it I think you're spot on.

My take is probably widely unpopular but I think this whole thing needs to be blown up. A patch here and there just isn't gonna get us where we need/want to be.

Wade is not the answer.

Thorn
12-13-2013, 06:12 PM

My take is probably widely unpopular but I think this whole thing needs to be blown up. A patch here and there just isn't gonna get us where we need/want to be.

Wade is not the answer.

I agree. But what we want and what McNair seems to want are two different things.

Let's just suppose that's what happens, Wade is the new HC. My prediction is the team will turn around but still fail in the playoffs, and we've already been there and done that. The city will rally around Bum's son anyway, but a lot of fans won't like it. I can see it happening, but I don't want it.

Like a lot of folks, I want to burn it all down and just start over. McNair is not going to do that.

Double Barrel
12-13-2013, 06:25 PM

Wade is not the answer.

I agree completely. I would not have a problem with a whole new staff that brings new schemes to both sides of the ball. If that entails a rookie QB and a 2-3 year rebuild, I can live with it and be patient about it.

But, like Thorn said, what we want and what McNair wants are often two different thing sometimes.

thunderkyss
12-15-2013, 03:32 PM
I know it's just one game. But I did not expect to see anything like this.

I generally find a way to remain positive all the way through a game. It was all I could do to watch the end of this game & know the Texans aren't trying to win. At no time in the second half did I feel like we were trying to win that game. & that hurts.

Even with what we've gone through. Even with where we are at. I believe we should try our very best to win, & seeing Case Keenum out there does nothing to make me believe winning is the primary objective. Just like when David Carr was out there.

Thorn
12-15-2013, 05:30 PM
I wonder if McNair is devious enough to scheme with Rick Smith to land the number 1 pick for their new head coach?

badboy
12-15-2013, 05:40 PM
We can expect Wade to have a look of "what do I do now?" End of third quarter and I leave friends' house. He said "Now I can take a nap before we go watch the Hobbit". She said "you are a fair weather fan". I replied, "I am a fan that when a tornado of destruction is heading at me, knows to leave."

eriadoc
12-15-2013, 05:45 PM
The defense (and Derek Newton) is the most consistent part of the team, actually. Since the bye, they've given up (from today back): 25, 27, 34, 13, 28, 27, and 27. Other than that little blip in the radar when they gave up only 13, they've been pretty consistent. Even before the bye, they gave up less than 24 only once and 30+ three times.

Thanks, Wade.

beerlover
12-15-2013, 05:47 PM
We can expect Wade to have a look of "what do I do now?" End of third quarter and I leave friends' house. He said "Now I can take a nap before we go watch the Hobbit". She said "you are a fair weather fan". I replied, "I am a fan that when a tornado of destruction is heading at me, knows to leave."

Smaug would qualify as a tornado of destruction :firehair:

infantrycak
12-15-2013, 05:53 PM
The defense (and Derek Newton) is the most consistent part of the team, actually. Since the bye, they've given up (from today back): 25, 27, 34, 13, 28, 27, and 27. Other than that little blip in the radar when they gave up only 13, they've been pretty consistent. Even before the bye, they gave up less than 24 only once and 30+ three times.

Thanks, Wade.

I would love to know how much of that can be laid on the back of McCain and by extension the coaches who continued to give him such a big role. He has been a steaming dog turd other teams have continually blatantly picked on. I'd say their stubbornness is worse than anything in the QB failure. McCain is a never was. Harris should have been out there long ago or some freaking street free agent.

hradhak
12-15-2013, 07:44 PM
I personally thought Vance Joseph called a good game on defense. The defense only gave up 14 points. The other 11 came on really short fields by the offense and special teams. I'm not sure that is enough to get him a DC spot here, but if a defenseive coach comes in that can continue to mentor Vance Jospeh, I'd be willing to give him a shot .

Bulls on Parade
12-15-2013, 07:49 PM
I wonder if McNair is devious enough to scheme with Rick Smith to land the number 1 pick for their new head coach?
We will get blown out by Denver next Sunday which will guarantee us a top two pick. If the Redskins can win one of their final two games against the Cowboys or Giants, that would allow the Texans to beat the Titans the final game and still clinch the first overall pick. Or if we just lose the final two games left we'll get the first pick. I'd rather beat the Titans to end our 13-game losing streak and still get the first pick. So please win one game left Redskins (Rams have that pick anyways). So no incentive for the Redskins to tank.

TexansSeminole
12-15-2013, 08:31 PM
I personally thought Vance Joseph called a good game on defense. The defense only gave up 14 points. The other 11 came on really short fields by the offense and special teams. I'm not sure that is enough to get him a DC spot here, but if a defenseive coach comes in that can continue to mentor Vance Jospeh, I'd be willing to give him a shot .

It's hard to judge him when they are stuck in this archaic scheme. He's been with Wade for awhile, so I would assume that he wouldn't bring much of a different look than what we've been trotting out.

I want a multiple defense. Multiple fronts, multiple coverages. I'm tired of what we are doing; very tired of watching other teams expose it.

thunderkyss
12-16-2013, 08:43 AM

What's the point? There's no one there worthy of the #1 overall this year.

HOU-TEX
12-16-2013, 08:57 AM
It's a good thing we brought in Big 12 referees to work practices this week. That worked well. Maybe we should've paid a little more for SEC refs.

I didn't see much different on STs other than DJ returning kicks. Still fail

Playoffs
12-16-2013, 09:07 AM
I expected more than what we saw yesterday. :pop:

IlliniJen
12-16-2013, 09:50 AM
If that game yesterday was part of his audition for the HC position, then it's like he just showed up to the interview pantsless.

Clean sweep needs to happen, it can't even be a question in anyone's mind at this point.

utahmark
12-16-2013, 09:59 AM
What's the point? There's no one there worthy of the #1 overall this year.

Same as it ever was. Three times we get the number one pick and not once was there anyone worth the number one pick. This city is cursed.

TheIronDuke
12-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Same as it ever was. Three times we get the number one pick and not once was there anyone worth the number one pick. This city is cursed.

That's just not true. First of all, Peppers was more than worthy of a #1 overall, we made the best decision with a #1 overall with Mario, and last year all anyone talked about was how Clowney was the greatest defensive player in college football and a sure fire #1. There are plenty of guys available in this draft so we can't be crying about what is available. There's a hell of a lot better talent at the top this year than last.

thunderkyss
12-16-2013, 10:14 AM
I didn't see much different on STs other than DJ returning kicks. Still fail

I think our special teams was the best part of our team yesterday. There was that one big return, but Braman was clearly pushed in the back & the Refs missed it. Other than that, I thought they did pretty good. Sniffing out that fake punt was pretty cool.

utahmark
12-16-2013, 12:18 PM
That's just not true. First of all, Peppers was more than worthy of a #1 overall, we made the best decision with a #1 overall with Mario, and last year all anyone talked about was how Clowney was the greatest defensive player in college football and a sure fire #1. There are plenty of guys available in this draft so we can't be crying about what is available. There's a hell of a lot better talent at the top this year than last.

The only position that deserves a number one pick in this league anymore is quarterback. If there is not a top surefire number one quarterback then it is not a good year to have the number one pick. I'll take Clowney and team him with Watt and see what happens but I would rather have Luck or a great qb prospect.

TheIronDuke
12-16-2013, 12:58 PM
The only position that deserves a number one pick in this league anymore is quarterback. If there is not a top surefire number one quarterback then it is not a good year to have the number one pick. I'll take Clowney and team him with Watt and see what happens but I would rather have Luck or a great qb prospect.

The best QB in the draft with Luck was a 3rd rounder. This QB draft class looks good to me, I personally like McCarron but who knows who will be the best QB of this class.

utahmark
12-16-2013, 01:52 PM
The best QB in the draft with Luck was a 3rd rounder. This QB draft class looks good to me, I personally like McCarron but who knows who will be the best QB of this class.

Thats my point. No one has a clue what qb is the best so the number one pick is not worth as much as some other years.

Nitrofish
12-17-2013, 01:29 PM
I think our special teams was the best part of our team yesterday. There was that one big return, but Braman was clearly pushed in the back & the Refs missed it. Other than that, I thought they did pretty good. Sniffing out that fake punt was pretty cool.

Agreed... But that attempted fake punt pissed me off. What the hell was that all about? Rubbing the Texans noses in it? Classless crap from Pagano. Is it just me, or does Pagano always look like he is about to burst into tears?