PDA

View Full Version : New HC candidates

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Playoffs
12-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Jon Gruden, analyst, ESPN -- Just about everyone figures he’ll return at some point. Owners continue to check out his interest.

Lovie Smith, former head coach, Chicago -- The native Texan led the Bears to a Super Bowl and was fired after going 10-6 last season.

Wade Phillips, defensive coordinator, Texans -- The interim coach took three teams – Denver, Buffalo and Dallas -- to the playoffs as a head coach.

Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator, Seattle -- Before running the Seahawks’ offense and coaching Russell Wilson, he was the coordinator at Minnesota and Green Bay.

Gus Malzahn, head coach, Auburn -- The native Texan has been a head coach for two seasons, but he helped Auburn win a national title as offensive coordinator.

Bill O’Brien, head coach, Penn State -- The former New England assistant under Bill Belichick has done a solid job under difficult circumstances.

Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, Arizona -- He’s got 15 years of NFL coaching experience, and he’s doing an outstanding job with the Cardinals’ defense.

Pete Carmichael, offensive coordinator, New Orleans -- This is his eighth season with the Saints, and they’ve had one of the league’s most prolific offenses.

David Shaw, head coach, Stanford -- The former NFL assistant is so hot right now he can almost have his pick of jobs if he wants to move.

Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, San Francisco -- The former Texans’ assistant excelled under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford and followed him to the 49ers.

Raymond Horton is the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. He was an assistant coach for the Washington Redskins, Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, and Pittsburgh Steelers. 2011, Horton was defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals. 2013, Horton was hired as the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.

Mr teX
12-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Jon Gruden, analyst, ESPN -- Just about everyone figures he’ll return at some point. Owners continue to check out his interest.

Lovie Smith, former head coach, Chicago -- The native Texan led the Bears to a Super Bowl and was fired after going 10-6 last season.

Wade Phillips, defensive coordinator, Texans -- The interim coach took three teams – Denver, Buffalo and Dallas -- to the playoffs as a head coach.

Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator, Seattle -- Before running the Seahawks’ offense and coaching Russell Wilson, he was the coordinator at Minnesota and Green Bay.

Gus Malzahn, head coach, Auburn -- The native Texan has been a head coach for two seasons, but he helped Auburn win a national title as offensive coordinator.

Bill O’Brien, head coach, Penn State -- The former New England assistant under Bill Belichick has done a solid job under difficult circumstances.

Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, Arizona -- He’s got 15 years of NFL coaching experience, and he’s doing an outstanding job with the Cardinals’ defense.

Pete Carmichael, offensive coordinator, New Orleans -- This is his eighth season with the Saints, and they’ve had one of the league’s most prolific offenses.

David Shaw, head coach, Stanford -- The former NFL assistant is so hot right now he can almost have his pick of jobs if he wants to move.

Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, San Francisco -- The former Texans’ assistant excelled under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford and followed him to the 49ers.

Any 1 of the bolded will do for me.....

qqert
12-06-2013, 11:54 AM

that would be my choice.

Playoffs
12-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Most interested in these guys at this point...

Bleed_Blu_Red
12-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Also

Bengals D coordinator Mike Zimmer- has coached top 10 ranked defenses when he’s used a 3-4 scheme and a 4-3 scheme.

A Wild Card would be Jay Gruden he has been a guy a lot of teams have looked at.

IlliniJen
12-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Hear me now and believe me later...it's going to be Lovie Smith. I don't think McNair will take a chance on any college or non-head coach NFL coaches. He thinks solving the Texans' issues is a plug-and-play approach with a seasoned NFL HC...he doesn't think there are personnel problems. This is very worrisome.

Mr. White
Ray Horton's the top guy on my list. I've read that McNair is a big fan of the Rooney model at Pittsburgh and Horton comes from that mold.

I also think that McNair's gonna go defense this time judging from his remarks at the press conference.

The Pencil Neck
From the press conference, it really sounds like guys without HC (or NFL) experience would only be considered as last resorts.

JCTexan
Bob Mcnair said he prefers a guy with NFL Head Coaching experience. So I guess that narrows it down to the Jon Gruden, Lovie Smith, Bill Cowher, Wade Phillips. Who are some other guys with NFL HC experience that could be available?

Bleed_Blu_Red
12-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Bevell or O'Brien would be nice.

The Pencil Neck
12-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Bob Mcnair said he prefers a guy with NFL Head Coaching experience. So I guess that narrows it down to the Jon Gruden, Lovie Smith, Bill Cowher, Wade Phillips. Who are some other guys with NFL HC experience that could be available?

Billick
Jack Del Rio (this is the one that scares me)

Bleed_Blu_Red
Ray Horton's the top guy on my list. I've read that McNair is a big fan of the Rooney model at Pittsburgh and Horton comes from that mold.

I also think that McNair's gonna go defense this time judging from his remarks at the press conference.

Horton has turned the Browns D into a Monster.

Playoffs
Ray Horton's the top guy on my list...

You're right...

Raymond Horton is the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. He is also a former cornerback in the National Football League for the Cincinnati Bengals and the Dallas Cowboys.

He later was an assistant coach for the Washington Redskins, Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
On February 9, 2011, Horton was named defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals.
On January 18, 2013, Horton was hired as the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.

Mr. White
12-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Hear me now and believe me later...it's going to be Lovie Smith. I don't think McNair will take a chance on any college or non-head coach NFL coaches. He thinks solving the Texans' issues is a plug-and-play approach with a seasoned NFL HC...he doesn't think there are personnel problems. This is very worrisome.

Isn't Lovie a 4-3 guy? I'd want to go with someone that wouldn't overhaul the defense.

Scooter
12-06-2013, 12:06 PM
i'm with jen that lovie is probably the guy mcnair wants. the first thing that i thought of with that name though is kubiak and sherman. will wade and lovie work well enough together? a coordinator and head coach who both work the same side of the ball with different systems and philosophies.

The Pencil Neck
12-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Isn't Lovie a 4-3 guy? I'd want to go with someone that wouldn't overhaul the defense.

Our personnel aren't classic 3-4 personnel. I think we'll fit better with a 4-3 DC than with most 3-4 DCs.

Most standard 3-4 DCs are going to have to address the total lack of a 3-4 NT.

htownfan32
12-06-2013, 12:09 PM
I think it'll be Lovie, but if it was gonna be a college guy I want Malzahn.

TheIronDuke
12-06-2013, 12:09 PM
When we get a HC, he better be able to bring a staff with him. I'd be pissed if we bring a good HC in and make him keep dumbass Phillips and old loser Marciano.

chicagotexan2
12-06-2013, 12:10 PM

Lovie is a good coach and how many injuries to Cutler did his teams struggle through? He's not my top choice, but he's not the worst either. At this point though I'm sick and tired of thinking 'at least this guy is not as bad as the previous guy'. I want someone to lead this team who will be great.

I'm hoping for Shaw, Bevell & Zimmer.

PapaL
12-06-2013, 12:11 PM

We don't have 4 LBs as is to run the current 3-4. A switch a 4-3 means Clowney is our pick and the Tampa 2 is our future.

Tolar's Ghost
12-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Here's a name that you'll love: Mike Shanahan.

Clayton on ESPN said that if the Redskins fire him, he would move to the top of the Texans list.

No!!!!

darnbni99a
12-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Shaw or Bevell will do

mussop
12-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Looks like the list should be narrowed down to Gruden, cowher, smith. Gus Malzahn head coach, Auburn. Or David Shaw, head coach, Stanford.

Auburn sure has been impressive this year. I still want cowher.

JCTexan

Clayton on ESPN said that if the Redskins fire him, he would move to the top of the Texans list.

No!!!!

Put me down as wanting a different offensive philosophy. Shanahan's teams have the same offensive problems that Kubiak's do.

Thorn

McNair was very specific in his comments about hiring someone with NFL head coaching experience, not a coordinator or a college coach.

htownfan32
12-06-2013, 12:17 PM
We don't have 4 LBs as is to run the current 3-4. A switch a 4-3 means Clowney is our pick and the Tampa 2 is our future.

Nah. If we have a first pick there is no way any HC doesn't bring in a new QB imo. Lovie Smith will not ride with Keenum. New coaches like their own guys, not the hand-me-downs of the man who was fired. Unless Wade Phillips becomes the new HC I believe we will be picking QB for sure now.

mussop

No!!!!

That's ridiculous.

TexanExile
There are going to be a lot of NFL head coaching jobs up for grabs this offseason. I'm glad Houston is getting a head start in the race for good candidates, but I'm also concerned about this team getting used by a candidate to bid up their own value on the market with so many open jobs.

So regardless of who comes in for an interview, I won't get my hopes up. But who wouldn't want this job? In Houston you can suck as a head coach for a good long while before the term "accountability" even comes up. Today's 2014 head coach would be seeing his first hot seat no sooner than 2018.

Tolar's Ghost
12-06-2013, 12:20 PM
McNair was very specific in his comments about hiring someone with NFL head coaching experience...

Are you sure?

I thought he said "head coaching experience," but didn't specify "NFL."

Transcript, please.

mussop
12-06-2013, 12:20 PM
McNair was very specific in his comments about hiring someone with NFL head coaching experience, not a coordinator or a college coach.

No I don't believe he ever said it wouldn't be a college coach. Just said needs head coaching experience.

Thorn
12-06-2013, 12:22 PM
No I don't believe he ever said it wouldn't be a college coach. Just said needs head coaching experience.

I think you're correct. NFLN will replay that interview a million times today though. LOL

Mr teX
12-06-2013, 12:22 PM

Didn't they just get torched by the jags 1 week before us?

DBCooper
12-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Cowher.

JCTexan
12-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Are you sure?

Transcript, please.

I believe Mcnair said "NFL Head Coaching experience" in his presser.

Mr. Texan
12-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Are you sure?

Transcript, please.

he said he wants someone with head coaching experience and nfl experience. he said it would be the ideal situation for him.

i dvr'd it.

Tolar's Ghost
12-06-2013, 12:24 PM
"Head coaching experience" is pretty broad. I like that.

Bradley in Jax and McCoy in SD seem pretty sharp. I don't think either has been a head coach other than high school (if that).

Playoffs
12-06-2013, 12:26 PM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
McNair wants somebody with NFL coaching experience and head coaching experience.

In other words, can be college HC with NFL background.

The Pencil Neck
12-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Are you sure?

Transcript, please.

From what I heard, he worded it like this: the candidate should have NFL experience and should have head coaching experience.

It doesn't sound like the HC experience necessarily has to be at the NFL level as long as they have some other NFL coaching experience. So I think that leaves it open for guys like Shaw or O'Brien but I think we ARE going to focus on coaches with previous NFL HC experience.

silvrhand
12-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Cowher power.. come on McNair break out the checkbook give the man the money.

Thorn
12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
I would love to have Cower here, but I don't see it happening. But I can hope for it anyway.

TexansBull
12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Bob also said he wanted someone who could make adjustments...

Two good things that Bob said - the new coach will not have to learn to be a head coach and be able to make haft time adjustments.

At least that is what Bob seems to be hoping for.

bhsman
12-06-2013, 12:36 PM
I really hope McNair doesn't preclude himself from a guy like Horton; otherwise, the only one I'd want is a guy like Lovie.

TheIronDuke
12-06-2013, 12:37 PM
We can resurrect Vince Lombari himself and we'll still be screwed with Rick Smith running this ship. Guy sucks at everything a GM is supposed to do.

Bleed_Blu_Red
12-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Didn't they just get torched by the jags 1 week before us?

Ya they did but they have the number.3 defense in the league. they give up points but hell you could say they have the same problem as the Texans weak QB play. therefore the D having to be on the field more then the offense hell your gona give up some points, factor in fatigue and a team seeing every scheme you have drawn up for the game in 1 half I wouldn't doubt a offense adjust and scores some points.

HoustonFrog
12-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Lovie is still a beloved guy by Bears fans I talk to here in Chicago. His issue was dealing with the GM to bring in a real offensive coordinator. They never had an identity on offense and the pieces they brought in never fit the OC's system. Players loved him, fans loved him. D was always tough. He got the most out of them. My fear is that you only get a guy 20% better than Kubiak and the team ends up being a consistently good yet never great team. I think there are better options.

Dread-Head
12-06-2013, 12:47 PM

:thinking: So...are we gonna bring in Tony Dungee first to make him look like a genius? F-aChuckie Barry Switzer 2.0 can keep moving. NEXT!

Nope. Smith like Kubiak doesn't know when the pull a mediocre QB who is CLEARLY in over his head. The Kubiak/Schaub Soap opera was almost EXACTLY like the Smith/Grossman drama that Cost the Bears a Superbowl.

Wade is a good DC...but he IS NOT A HEAD COACH.

As Vince Young & Tim Tebow and countless others will attest. THE PROS AINT COLLEGE.

Playoffs[/B] system Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, Arizona -- He’s got 15 years of NFL coaching experience, and he’s doing an outstanding job with the Cardinals’ defense.

They haven't won anything.

is Brees coming with him?

He got fired as an assistant for a reason.

Two words Baby ...Cowher POWER!

TexanSam
12-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Lovie is still a beloved guy by Bears fans I talk to here in Chicago. His issue was dealing with the GM to bring in a real offensive coordinator. They never had an identity on offense and the pieces they brought in never fit the OC's system. Players loved him, fans loved him. D was always tough. He got the most out of them. My fear is that you only get a guy 20% better than Kubiak and the team ends up being a consistently good yet never great team. I think there are better options.

Lovie Smith got the Bears to the Super Bowl, so if 20% better gets us there then I'm happy.

Bleed_Blu_Red
12-06-2013, 12:48 PM

Well said I don't see Lovie as the guy.

HoustonFrog
12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Lovie Smith got the Bears to the Super Bowl, so if 20% better gets us there then I'm happy.

I agree from that standpoint but I think he has a very good, Southern, quiet, good guy demeanor to him that will remind people too much of Kubiak...players too. I know it seems small but sometimes a little different direction works. I think Lovie did great work, but a lot of this info is coming from Bears fans here who still love him but thought his time was done. Grew stale.

badboy
12-06-2013, 12:51 PM
he said he wants someone with head coaching experience and nfl experience. he said it would be the ideal situation for him.

i dvr'd it.This. I think McNair needs to shake himself out of the "usual" and go get a great candidate like Shaw. He is getting great feedback from fans and media on terminating Kubiak. I think he will ride that wave with hiring a non retread.

MistaRed
12-06-2013, 12:53 PM
What do you guys think about Josh McDaniels?

If we hire Lovie we are gonna need a damn good OC. It also means we're gonna switch to a 4-3 defense.

Vinny
12-06-2013, 12:55 PM

asshat

leebigeztx
12-06-2013, 12:56 PM

Mike Holmgren took 2 different teams to superbowls. That's my dude.

blitz90
12-06-2013, 12:56 PM

I thought McNair said head coaching experience, not specifically nfl.

HoustonFrog
12-06-2013, 12:59 PM
I thought McNair said head coaching experience, not specifically nfl.

That is how i took it too..

I don't think the quote about NFL coaching experience means that it had to be HC in the NFL. O'Brien is a HC and has NFL experience...just not NFL HC experience. So a great college HC with [past NFL ties would probably work if they interviewed well.

The Pencil Neck
12-06-2013, 12:59 PM
When you look at recent SB winning coaches, you've got guys who had previous SUCCESSFUL NFL HC experience (Belichik, Dungy, Gruden, Vermeil, Coughlin) but who hadn't won a SB and you've got guys with NFL Coordinator experience (Harbaugh, Payton, McCarthy, Billick).

However, there are a lot of coordinators who get NFL HC jobs and fail. So... if given the choice... I'd prefer someone who had previous successful NFL HC experience but who have not won a SB. Lovie Smith fits that bill. Unfortunately, so do guys like Brad Childress and Jack Del Rio. (EDIT: And Whisenhunt...)

If Rex Ryan gets fired from the Jets, he's an option even though I dislike the guy.

Rey
12-06-2013, 01:09 PM
I think not wanting a guy because he's won a superbowl before is the silliest thing I've heard when looking for a new coach.

You look at them as individuals and what they are going to bring to your team. That's it.

All that bs about former suberbowl winning head coaches is a dumb stat. It's the same kind if thinking that leads to kubiak support and Matt Schaub devotion.

coon
12-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Are you sure?

Transcript, please.

He said he prefers a coach with head coaching experience. No mention of it needing to be NFL head coaching. McClain also said on NFL network that they would absolutely look at David Shaw. Hopefully that is true.

The Pencil Neck
12-06-2013, 01:14 PM
I think not wanting a guy because he's won a superbowl before is the silliest thing I've heard when looking for a new coach.

You look at them as individuals and what they are going to bring to your team. That's it.

All that bs about former suberbowl winning head coaches is a dumb stat. It's the same kind if thinking that leads to kubiak support and Matt Schaub devotion.

Well.

How many guys have won a SB as a coach and then come back and coached another team to win a SB?

If you want to hire the next George Seifert, go ahead.

Brandon420tx
12-06-2013, 01:14 PM
What do you guys think about Josh McDaniels

asshat

:spit:
:clap::yes::clap:

eriadoc
12-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Our personnel aren't classic 3-4 personnel. I think we'll fit better with a 4-3 DC than with most 3-4 DCs.

Most standard 3-4 DCs are going to have to address the total lack of a 3-4 NT.

And the lack of 4 linebackers. Or even 3. Or 2 ....

Dread-Head
12-06-2013, 01:16 PM
asshat

:thinking: I've never worn an ass for a hat...but I HAVE worn thighs as a mask.

mussop
12-06-2013, 01:20 PM

Absolutely! Just one of The stupidest takes out there.

Rey
12-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Well.

How many guys have won a SB as a coach and then come back and coached another team to win a SB?

If you want to hire the next George Seifert, go ahead.

Who cares.

How many OC's with the name Gary kubiak went on to win a Super Bowl as a head coach?

You had no problem supporting him.

If belichick, Payton, McCarthy, Tomlinson and harbaugh were fired today, you aren't considering any of them simply because they've won a superbowl before.

That's silly.

You evaluate them as individuals. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't happen. It's just a stat. People make break throughs all the time.

First person to do this, first person to do that... Whatever. You'd miss out on a lot of those "firsts" if no one gave those people a shot.

I just think it's asinine to rule someone out because of that. Evaluate their ability.

hookinreds
12-06-2013, 01:29 PM

If we hire Lovie we are gonna need a damn good OC. It also means we're gonna switch to a 4-3 defense.

Put him in the same bag with Del Rio and toss them into the river.

Playoffs
12-06-2013, 01:31 PM

There were some kinda odd things going on in Denver with McDaniels. I think he needs some growing up/perspective.

The Pencil Neck
12-06-2013, 01:34 PM
OK. So. Rey, Mussop... who do you want?

Do you want Cowher? He's won a SB. It took him 14 years to do it and he coached for 15 years (6-10 his last season). People in Pittsburgh were calling for him to be fired even after he got his team to the AFC Championship game several times because of how many times he'd gotten there and lost. He had a reputation as a coach who couldn't win the big one.

Do you want Tony Dungy? He's won a SB. But he had a reputation as a coach who couldn't win the big one and even though he was a "defensive genius", he never could get that Indy defense up to snuff. He basically just rode Peyton's coat-tails to his SB.

Do you want Gruden? After taking Dungy's TB team to the SB and winning, he was a failure in TB. In the 6 years after that, he made the playoffs twice and lost in the Wild Card round both times.

Do you want Billick? He rode Marvin Lewis' great defense to a championship and never could draft or develop a QB. After his OC stint in Minnesota, he was supposed to be an offensive genius but his offense was mostly crap.

So which SB winning coach do you think is out there that's so much better than any of the other options?

bhsman
I just think it's asinine to rule someone out because of that. Evaluate their ability.

I think his point was that using Superbowl wins solely to rule out candidates was a bad idea.

Playoffs
John Clayton's additions... (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10090501/the-next-texans-coach)

Mike Shanahan, head coach, Washington Redskins

"What?" you might ask. If he's let go in Washington or if he re-signs but he's asked to fire his son, Shanahan would have no problem with a quick transition in Houston. Shanahan and Kubiak run the same type of offense. Shanahan proved last year he could work with a rookie quarterback in taking Robert Griffin III to the playoffs. If the Texans are drafting a quarterback and Shanahan is available, it's an easy fit.

Ken Whisenhunt, offensive coordinator, San Diego Chargers

He'll be a strong candidate because he's won in Arizona and he's a great coach working with quarterbacks. His presence in San Diego has helped Philip Rivers bounce back after a couple of off seasons.

Tom Cable, assistant head coach Seattle Seahawks

Cable is a master of working with the offensive line, and his zone-blocking scheme would be a good fit in Houston. He has head coaching experience in Oakland.

Hue Jackson, assistant coach, Cincinnati Bengals

Like Cable, Jackson was the head coach in Oakland and does a good job working with an offense and young quarterbacks. If McNair is looking to rebuild the offense, Jackson is a consideration.

The Pencil Neck
12-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Who cares.

How many OC's with the name Gary kubiak went on to win a Super Bowl as a head coach?

You had no problem supporting him.

If belichick, Payton, McCarthy, Tomlinson and harbaugh were fired today, you aren't considering any of them simply because they've won a superbowl before.

That's silly.

You evaluate them as individuals. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't happen. It's just a stat. People make break throughs all the time.

First person to do this, first person to do that... Whatever. You'd miss out on a lot of those "firsts" if no one gave those people a shot.

That's fine. Evaluate their ability. Show me the SB winning coach that's out there right now that you think is going to be the first one to break the SB winning coach jinx.

If Belichik gets fired, I hire him. If McCarthy gets fired, I don't. If Harbaugh gets fired, I don't.

Why?

Because that's my evaluation of how successful I think they're going to be in another situation.

Rey
12-06-2013, 01:38 PM
I think his point was that using Superbowl wins solely to rule out candidates was a bad idea.

No.... It wasn't. That's what I am saying.

He and others (mainly kubiak and Schaub supporters) have been saying for years how no former Super Bowl winning head coach has ever win one again with another team. Which is true but so what.

leebigeztx
12-06-2013, 01:38 PM
I think the problem with hiring a guy without hc experience is the break in period. I mean kubiak got better as a coach,because in nfl its not just coach. Its the media obligations,the owner and bean counter meeting. Its not just the coaching aspect. I like Holmgren a lot more than others.

eriadoc
12-06-2013, 01:40 PM
I think Whisenhunt might be my #1 preference of guys that have been mentioned.

Exascor
12-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Just say no to Wade Phillips. Please.

82W 59L regular season record.
1W 5L post season record.

That's like keeping teams from getting lots of yards but giving up tons of points. Sound familiar?

Bulls on Parade
12-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Wouldn't Mike Shanahan just be an older version of Gary Kubiak? If we were going in that direction, I'd rather just have his son Kyle instead. At least bring in a younger guy with a brighter future. Our offense has seemingly gone down hill ever since we lost Kyle Shanahan as offensive coordinator.

nero THE zero
12-06-2013, 01:53 PM

Bill Cowher

My top 5

The Pencil Neck
12-06-2013, 01:55 PM
No.... It wasn't. That's what I am saying.

He and others (mainly kubiak and Schaub supporters) have been saying for years how no former Super Bowl winning head coach has ever win one again with another team. Which is true but so what.

And what I've said several times when I've brought this stat up is... do you think THIS SB winning coach is going to be the one to break the jinx?

People like you want Cowher or Gruden JUST because they've won a SB. Because... OH! They have to be GREAT coaches if they've won a SB.

And that's NOT the case. If that was the case, then SB winning coaches would be successful with other teams. They're not.

So you don't put those guys at the top of the list just because they've won a SB. You have to judge them on their merit. Gruden, Cowher, Billick, and Dungy haven't done anything in their coaching careers to make me believe that they can rekindle the magic that they were able to get in their one special season.

WolverineFan
12-06-2013, 02:02 PM
I've been touting Bill O'Brien all year long. He was the coordinator in NE after McDaniels left and has done a fantastic job at Penn State, considering the situation that program is in.

I think he can definitely develop a QB. He has that true freshman QB at Penn State looking like a future All-American.

DX-TEX
12-06-2013, 02:02 PM
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/files/2013/08/Josh-McDaniels2.jpg

Yes, I posted Josh McDaniels! I think he will learn from his mistakes in Denver just like his mentor did in Cleveland. Minimize his absolute power like he had in Denver and he can be pretty good.

McNair loves him some "Patriot Way" so I see this as a huge possibility.

Jackie Chiles
12-06-2013, 02:04 PM
I think the problem with hiring a guy without hc experience is the break in period. I mean kubiak got better as a coach,because in nfl its not just coach. Its the media obligations,the owner and bean counter meeting. Its not just the coaching aspect. I like Holmgren a lot more than others.

I'm intrigued by Holmgren but is there any evidence to suggest he is itching or even willing to come back as a coach?

Uncle Rico
12-06-2013, 02:05 PM
If Lovie Smith is the guy then Philips has to go (fine by me) those guys would not agree on defensive philosophy.

I'll throw some chum in the water. Art Briles. Offensive whiz, good ol boy network keeps growing strong, you can keep Philips and the climax?

Trade down to about 7-8 and draft Johnny Football. Dun dun duuuuuun!!

Texaninlild
12-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Would be my first choice to fill the void.
Bill Cowher
Ken Whisenhunt
Lovie Smith

These would be my second choice.
Jon Gruden
Todd Bowles

infantrycak
12-06-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm intrigued by Holmgren but is there any evidence to suggest he is itching or even willing to come back as a coach?

Don't believe so. There is however a WCO, QB guy, HC out there who has - Steve Mariucci.

HOU-TEX
12-06-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm not going to pretend I know who'll be a good coach for us, but I sure hope we'd give Zimmer a looksee despite what McNair said. We need to grow some balls as a team, hold players and staff accountable. I can see Zimmer doing that. He's aggressive and knows what the heck he wants to do when he wants to do it.

I like Shaw too. He's practically the opposite of what Zimmer seems to be. Honestly, I'm not sure why I like him. Maybe because he seems like he just knows what's up (if you know what I mean)

I want to do away with using the ZBS as our base offense. I'd like to see power running. Keep DB, Brooks and find some ruthless fatties via draft or FA

Those are my top 2. As if it even matters, but for discussion sake...

amazing80
12-06-2013, 02:11 PM
If Lovie Smith is the guy then Philips has to go (fine by me) those guys would not agree on defensive philosophy.

I'll throw some chum in the water. Art Brilbeabeatt Offensive whiz, good ol boy network keeps growing strong, you can keep Philips and the climax?

Trade down to about 7-8 and draft Johnny Football. Dun dun duuuuuun!!

You and norg have the worst ideas in the world. Just stop making suggestions.

Get Ray Horton and bring in a great up and comer as offensive coordinator. This defense needs help and wade is washed up. Horton has been consistent this entire decade so he knows hOw to beat passing teams.

Thorn
12-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Don't believe so. There is however a WCO, QB guy, HC out there who has - Steve Mariucci.

I like the guys analysis on NFLN. Interesting thought, but for some reason I can't see him here. It doesn't really matter because whoever they hire some of us will love it and some will be predicting doom and gloom. LOL

TheMatrix31
12-06-2013, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't mind Whisenhunt. I think that guy gets a bit of a bad rap.

I also wouldn't mind Zimmer. I just want the team to play hard, smart, but not dirty. Penalties and turnovers kill teams.

I mean, there are a lot of guys I don't mind, a lot of guys I don't want, and a lot of guys I simply would have to see play out before developing an opinion (mostly the college guys).

If Lovie can get over some of the things that plagued him in his time with the Bears, he's probably the best guy to take the job.

Double Barrel
12-06-2013, 02:25 PM
David Shaw is the top of my list, but all indications are that he's happy at Stanford and considers it his lifelong "dream job".

TexansFTW
12-06-2013, 02:32 PM

Get Ray Horton and bring in a great up and comer as offensive coordinator. This defense needs help and wade is washed up. Horton has been consistent this entire decade so he knows hOw to beat passing teams.

Well said.

Ray Horton is awesome. He's my only pick. And hopefully we can find an awesome OC, GM, and ST guy that he lets do their thing (they all gotta go).

I don't know about yall, but I've been tired of these slow speaking, stammering, emotionless B's running this organization sideways for 8 years. Ray Horton will NOT be that guy. He will get wild and get the most out of his guys while avoiding becoming a Greg Schiano.

Ray Horton comes from the best defensive mindsets and everywhere he goes a top 5 defense follows. Coincidence? No. Added benefit he works in a 3-4.

Uncle Rico
12-06-2013, 02:32 PM

You have the worst sense of humor, why don't you relax and have fun with life and stop being such a hard ass, if you even had a glimmer of comprehension you would have noticed the joke.

Yea Horton, brilliant!

HOU-TEX
12-06-2013, 02:38 PM
David Shaw is the top of my list, but all indications are that he's happy at Stanford and considers it his lifelong "dream job".

Saw this earlier. I'm not sure it holds much water, but

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h
. @McClain_on_NFL says he believes the #Texans will look at Stanford coach David Shaw. He hasn’t closed the door on an NFL job. Interesting.

TexansFTW
12-06-2013, 02:41 PM
That's fine. Evaluate their ability. Show me the SB winning coach that's out there right now that you think is going to be the first one to break the SB winning coach jinx.

If Belichik gets fired, I hire him. If McCarthy gets fired, I don't. If Harbaugh gets fired, I don't.

Why?

Because that's my evaluation of how successful I think they're going to be in another situation.

I also totally agree. When you don't read what you're saying you think it sounds stupid, but if you actually read it, it makes sense. You're saying those SPECIFIC guys and their methods are old and washed up. They won their super bowl, but they are losers today.

Who are the best coaches in the NFL today? Out of the box thinkers that were given a chance to be what they are today, not re-used washouts. And John Fox isn't a coach, he's Peyton Manning's new ass puppet. Andy Reid and Pete Carroll are pretty awesome though.

Totally disagree about Harbaugh though bro. Both are awesome.

The Pencil Neck
12-06-2013, 02:51 PM
I also totally agree. When you don't read what you're saying you think it sounds stupid, but if you actually read it, it makes sense. You're saying those SPECIFIC guys and their methods are old and washed up. They won their super bowl, but they are losers today.

Who are the best coaches in the NFL today? Out of the box thinkers that were given a chance to be what they are today, not re-used washouts. And John Fox isn't a coach, he's Peyton Manning's new ass puppet. Andy Reid and Pete Carroll are pretty awesome though.

Totally disagree about Harbaugh though bro. Both are awesome.

With Harbaugh, I'm not convinced that it's not all Ozzie Newsome. With McCarthy, I'm not convinced it's not all Rodgers.

Reid and Carroll exemplify what I'm talking about wrt coaches who had some success as NFL HCs coming back and looking like they have a shot to win a SB.

Exascor
12-06-2013, 02:56 PM

I'll throw some chum in the water. Art Briles. Offensive whiz, good ol boy network keeps growing strong, you can keep Philips and the climax?

Trade down to about 7-8 and draft Johnny Football. Dun dun duuuuuun!!The only thing about Art Briles is he doesn't fit McNair's requirements. He has no NFL experience.

htownfan32
12-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Someone explain to me the reasoning behind Shaw. I see quite a bit of potential but he has the same "talented OC" background that Kubiak had... and you tell me how that worked out. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, but doesn't he seem a little unproven?

TexansFTW
12-06-2013, 03:00 PM
With Harbaugh, I'm not convinced that it's not all Ozzie Newsome. With McCarthy, I'm not convinced it's not all Rodgers.

Reid and Carroll exemplify what I'm talking about wrt coaches who had some success as NFL HCs coming back and looking like they have a shot to win a SB.

With McCarthy, I am pretty sure everyone in the world, including McCarthy is now convinced it's all Rodgers.

Ozzie is arguably the best GM in the game, not many can argue, with that said it was his choosing of Harbaugh and Harbaugh getting it done. Dude hasn't had a losing season yet (this one's not over) and fired an OC mid season and still won the SB with the direction change. He can adapt in the NFL which is the problem with these old school coaches. They want to fit a square peg into a circle hole all day because it used to work for them. His resume of winning seasons and deep playoff runs speaks volumes, even with the brain trust known as Ozzie backing him.

nero THE zero
12-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Someone explain to me the reasoning behind Shaw. I see quite a bit of potential but he has the same "talented OC" background that Kubiak had... and you tell me how that worked out. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, but doesn't he seem a little unproven?

He's Stanford's head coach.

htownfan32
12-06-2013, 03:03 PM
He's Stanford's head coach.

That's my point. It's college. Do you want Nick Saban coaching the Texans, too?

Dutchrudder

He's the only head coach in NCAA history to have a 100% graduation rate for senior players in a single year. The guy emphasizes being a warrior on the field and in the classroom, and he has pulled off some big wins since Harbaugh left (without Luck too). He's everything you could ask for in a coach as a human being and a leader, he's a great speaker, very well mannered, and really seems to care about his players. He runs a pro-style offense at Stanford, but how well he can compete at this level is TBD. I think he's a good option, but not my first pick. He is most definitely a Bob McNair kind of guy and will definitely be considered if he tells his agent to pursue it.

michaelm
I'm having Déjà vu of 2006 all over again.
New head coach coming in to a team with a big question mark playing the QB position. Tells the owner whatever he needs to tell him to convince him he can win with that QB. Sticks with that QB past the point of reason because he married himself to the QB trying to get the gig.

:voodoo:

gwallaia
12-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Whoever is hired should have nice hair like Kubiak.

htownfan32
12-06-2013, 03:05 PM
He's the only head coach in NCAA history to have a 100% graduation rate for senior players in a single year. The guy emphasizes being a warrior on the field and in the classroom, and he has pulled off some big wins since Harbaugh left (without Luck too). He's everything you could ask for in a coach as a human being and a leader, he's a great speaker, very well mannered, and really seems to care about his players. He runs a pro-style offense at Stanford, but how well he can compete at this level is TBD. I think he's a good option, but not my first pick. He is most definitely a Bob McNair kind of guy and will definitely be considered if he tells his agent to pursue it.

This seems like it to me, but I'm just a little hesitant to dip into college ranks without considering better options first.

nero THE zero
12-06-2013, 03:06 PM

What's your point?

Is your argument that a college HC cannot be a successful NFL HC? There are plenty of examples that would refute that; i.e. Jimmy Johnson, Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, etc.

Or is your argument that you believe David Shaw is a college HC that cannot be a successful HC? If so, you have done a poor job making it.

bhsman
12-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Whoever is hired should have nice hair like Kubiak.

You definitely want Horton, then.

badboy
12-06-2013, 03:08 PM
I really hope McNair doesn't preclude himself from a guy like Horton; otherwise, the only one I'd want is a guy like Lovie.Horton's defense allegedly restricts Watt: "Another coach that the Texans should pass on is Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton. He's been a top coaching candidate for years, but his brand of 3-4 defense is drastically different from Phillips'. Horton could possibly signal a huge decline for J.J. Watt, but making him more of a role player and not allowing him chance to shine."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1878704-whats-next-for-texans-after-firing-gary-kubiak?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=houston-texans

htownfan32
12-06-2013, 03:08 PM
What's your point?

Is your argument that a college HC cannot be a successful NFL HC? There are plenty of examples that would refute that; i.e. Jimmy Johnson, Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, etc.

Or is your argument that you believe David Shaw is a college HC that cannot be a successful HC? If so, you have done a poor job making it.

And there's plenty of college guys who've sucked in the NFL. The list is probably just as large, if not more so.

As for your second point, I insinuated no such thing. I just think he's unproven and that there are more proven options out there. I don't know if he'll be successful, but it's chancy any time you take a guy from college. He could be Jimmy Johnson. He could also be Nick Saban.

TexansFTW
12-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Horton's defense allegedly restricts Watt: "Another coach that the Texans should pass on is Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton. He's been a top coaching candidate for years, but his brand of 3-4 defense is drastically different from Phillips'. Horton could possibly signal a huge decline for J.J. Watt, but making him more of a role player and not allowing him chance to shine."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1878704-whats-next-for-texans-after-firing-gary-kubiak?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=houston-texans

I got worried for a moment and started to think I might be completely wrong, until I read the http://bleacherreport.com on the link and have decided to not only NOT click this link, but dismiss this argument altogether.

TheMatrix31
12-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Whoever we get MUST tailor their coaching to our strengths. Anyone that would implement anything that diminishes JJ Watt as the best defensive player in football, Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Brian Cushing, etc is a non-starter.

We have some special players. Keep them special.

bhsman
12-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Horton's defense allegedly restricts Watt: "Another coach that the Texans should pass on is Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton. He's been a top coaching candidate for years, but his brand of 3-4 defense is drastically different from Phillips'. Horton could possibly signal a huge decline for J.J. Watt, but making him more of a role player and not allowing him chance to shine."

I doubt someone like Horton would see what Watt is capable and think that he should rush the passer less. Frankly, nothing guarantees that wouldn't happen with another coach, and I'd rather a guy with a proven track record like Horton.

EDIT: Also, Bleacher Report, dude.

badboy
12-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Someone explain to me the reasoning behind Shaw. I see quite a bit of potential but he has the same "talented OC" background that Kubiak had... and you tell me how that worked out. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, but doesn't he seem a little unproven?Shaw was assistant coach at Raiders, Ravens and Eagles.

Mr. White
12-06-2013, 03:12 PM
You definitely want Horton, then.

Horton cut his hair. I can't help but think the Iverson look was hurting him in HC interviews over the offseason.

bhsman
12-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Horton cut his hair. I can't help but think the Iverson look was hurting him in HC interviews over the offseason.

I like his cut hair look, but that's me. If he comes in and gets us a Superbowl then I'LL get cornrows. >_>

EDIT: This (http://www.azcardinals.com/assets/images/imported/ARI/photos/article/MainFebruary2011/HortonMain.jpg) is what we're referring to.

TEXANRED
12-06-2013, 03:13 PM

No!!!!
I am going to have to disagree with you. It's:

HELL NO!!!!!!

htownfan32
12-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Shaw was assistant coach at Raiders, Ravens and Eagles.

And that's why I see potential there. He seems like a great offensive guy, coached QBs and WRs while he was an assistant. But my point still stands, there are more proven guys out there. I like Shaw but he is not my first choice.

infantrycak
12-06-2013, 03:14 PM

Saban had minimal NFL experience. Shaw has mainly NFL experience plus grew up in NFL locker rooms. Not the same situation.

htownfan32
12-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Saban had minimal NFL experience. Shaw has mainly NFL experience plus grew up in NFL locker rooms. Not the same situation.

Fair enough. That's true.

eriadoc
12-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Whisenhunt's wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Whisenhunt), for anyone interested.

Mr. White
12-06-2013, 03:21 PM
I like his cut hair look, but that's me. If he comes in and gets us a Superbowl then I'LL get cornrows. >_>

EDIT: This (http://www.azcardinals.com/assets/images/imported/ARI/photos/article/MainFebruary2011/HortonMain.jpg) is what we're referring to.

Here's a current picture of him.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1024/nfl_a_horton01jr_600x400.jpg

It kills me that we're talking about a candidate's hair, but we all know that McNair would never hire a guy that doesn't have a conventional hairstyle. I'm guessing Rob Ryan will get zero mentions as well.

Dutchrudder
12-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Whisenhunt's wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Whisenhunt), for anyone interested.

Wisenhunt as an OC would be great, maybe a great HC too, but he has a pretty bad track record for finding QBs in the NFL. If we had a QB, I'd be happy to get him, but we don't. Maybe he can get his guy with a high draft pick, but I kind of doubt it.

Uncle Rico
12-06-2013, 03:24 PM
The only thing about Art Briles is he doesn't fit McNair's requirements. He has no NFL experience.

Yes, it was supposed to be a joke. I failed. May God have mercy on my soul.

bhsman
12-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Here's a current picture of him.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1024/nfl_a_horton01jr_600x400.jpg

It kills me that we're talking about a candidate's hair, but we all know that McNair would never hire a guy that doesn't have a conventional hairstyle. I'm guessing Rob Ryan will get zero mentions as well.

I'd recommend that you and everyone here check Youtube for videos of this guy; very cerebral thinker.

EDIT: Here is a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npIsy_1wVas) of Horton being interviewed before Cleveland's training camp opening.

JB
12-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Whoever we get MUST tailor their coaching to our strengths. Anyone that would implement anything that diminishes JJ Watt as the best defensive player in football, Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Brian Cushing, etc is a non-starter.

We have some special players. Keep them special.

One of the most talked about reasons for bringing Wade here was that he adapted his scheme to his players and put them in position to succeed.

You want more of that?

I'd prefer a coach that recognizes and utilizes that talent. The only thing they MUST do is win

Mr. White
12-06-2013, 03:31 PM
I'd recommend that you and everyone here check Youtube for videos of this guy; very cerebral thinker.

I've seen the video on this page (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/11/cleveland_browns_defensive_coo_15.html) where he talks about Dick LeBeau's influence on him. I'd hire him just based on that.

I think McNair should send a plane to Pittsburgh to pick him up as soon as the final whistle blows on December 29. I'm pretty sure the Browns don't have a prayer of getting in the playoffs no matter how solid his defense is.

welsh texan
12-06-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm dead against the idea of ruling candidates out on the basis that we've hired guys with similar CVs previously and it hasn't worked out.

If the CV is good enough to get the man to interview, base the decision on what he says he sees our team becoming under his stewardship.

How excited does he get about JJ Watt and Cushing, does he see talent at the starting positions in the secondary that he can work with and get turned around.

On offence do we need 10 new linemen or can he tailor his scheme to what we already have?

It's questions like this that will decide whether we are back in playoff contention next year or have a .500 record over the next 5 years, not whether a guy comes in as a talented OC like Kubes did.

Of course as fans we can only speculate to what people might want to do.

For instance if a guy is running a great D with an O minded HC, we'd value that, but we don't really know for sure whether he's a better candidate than anyone else on the list.

bhsman
12-06-2013, 03:39 PM
I've seen the video on this page (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/11/cleveland_browns_defensive_coo_15.html) where he talks about Dick LeBeau's influence on him. I'd hire him just based on that.

I think McNair should send a plane to Pittsburgh to pick him up as soon as the final whistle blows on December 29. I'm pretty sure the Browns don't have a prayer of getting in the playoffs no matter how solid his defense is.

Thanks for the link; I'd seen it before, but I'd love to get Horton's name out more.

And I agree; Horton wants a head coaching job, and waiting for another team to grab him would be a terrible idea. In that way, starting the search now is a blessing.

b0ng
12-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Screw Bill Cowher and Chuckie Gruden those guys being away from the game has turned some of the posters here having a nostalgia for them. You would want Gruden gone by year three just from drafting alone. Cowher I don't know what to expect since it's been so long for him. Why not all this clamoring for Brian Billick? He won a superbowl too.

Shaw sounds interesting (although really two coaches from the same school, something tells me one of them won't be as good as the other, and it'd be the second if I had to bet on it), don't really like the idea of Bevell, or Knapp as an OC (Knapp as an OC would be the worst thing this team could do).

I'd be fine with Lovie too, but he can't pick his OC, you have to have somebody who can do that for him.

Exascor
12-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Yes, it was supposed to be a joke. I failed. May God have mercy on my soul.

Meh - blame it on the internet. =)

burro
12-06-2013, 03:53 PM
When an owner fires an offensive guy they usually replace him with a defensive guy and vice versa. It'll probably be Lovie...which is fine as long as we also hire a good OC take 100% control of the offense (ala Phillips with Kubiak after 2010).

Whatever happens, I DO NOT want Gruden. The last thing we need going into preseason 2014 is 15 scrub QBs on the roster battling for least worst.

nero THE zero
12-06-2013, 03:57 PM
And there's plenty of college guys who've sucked in the NFL. The list is probably just as large, if not more so.

As for your second point, I insinuated no such thing. I just think he's unproven and that there are more proven options out there. I don't know if he'll be successful, but it's chancy any time you take a guy from college. He could be Jimmy Johnson. He could also be Nick Saban.

He's proven himself as an NFL assistant, college assistant and college HC. The only position he hasn't proven himself in is NFL HC. Based on his resume, I am willing to give him that opportunity.

He's also a Stanford grad, FWIW.

Runner
12-06-2013, 03:58 PM
I don't study NFL coaches as much as others appear to do. However, I'm going to go with Jon Gruden. He stirs up so much negative passion around here that he must have a lot going for him.

leebigeztx
12-06-2013, 04:22 PM

False. Saban was the lbs coach with parcells with giants.Saban was also on belicheks staff in cleveland. Saban also had success at mich st,lso,and now bama. What are you talking about

drs23
12-06-2013, 04:42 PM

I'm afraid I agree with both points. He seems to be his own man. With all his family ties there and his "dream job" he doesn't seem to be a person who would chase the all mighty dollar nor the prestige of being an NFL HC. He seems too damn happy where he is but he's still my first choice. I can say though I think he's certainly "Texans Worthy".

Are we David Shaw worthy?

That's the man I wanna see on the sideline on Sundays.

The Third Man
12-06-2013, 04:47 PM
It doesn't matter who the coach is- if the organization doesn't have better accountability and intelligence. To see Rick Smith palm the failed draft picks on the coaching means that he is either admitting he is a complete puppet, a weakling, or both.

Great, I don't want the new head coach learning how to be a head coach on the job, either, but that is basically what we have had with Smith AS THE GENERAL MANAGER. I'll grant you that Smith has mastered the art of organizational politics, but I see absolutely no progress in the actual business of making shrewd football decisions. He takes all the credit for good moves and none of the blame for the mistakes. At least Kubiak was a man.

mussop
12-06-2013, 04:49 PM
One of the most talked about reasons for bringing Wade here was that he adapted his scheme to his players and put them in position to succeed.

You want more of that?

YES!! But someone who is better at it than Wade. Seriously some of the crap being posted here is rediculous. First, don't hire a head coach who's won a Super Bowl now don't hire a coach that adjust his scheme to fit the players strengths. :mcnugget:

deucetx
12-06-2013, 04:54 PM
False. Saban was the lbs coach with parcells with giants.Saban was also on belicheks staff in cleveland. Saban also had success at mich st,lso,and now bama. What are you talking about

In fairness, infantry said minimal. Secondly, Saban did not coach with Parcells. That was Bill Belichek who was the linebackers coach on the Giants. Saban was a defensive back coach. He had a year with the Oilers as a DB coach and then the 3 years as defensive coach with Belichek in Cleveland. That is it. I would call that minimal. Saban is part of Belichek's coach tree and Chek part of Parcells.

Mr teX
12-06-2013, 04:59 PM
YES!! But someone who is better at it than Wade. Seriously some of the crap being posted here is rediculous. First, don't hire a head coach who's won a Super Bowl now don't hire a coach that adjust his scheme to fit the players strengths. :mcnugget:

There is no "better than wade" option. He's the best at it. Dude's defenses have done this for decades. 1st year, they look like the 85 bears & by his last year they look like the 2010 texans. That more than anything should tell you that adjusting your scheme to fit your players strengths needs to be minimal b/c ultimately good teams/qbs find out what you can't do well & they force you to do it.

Instead of hoping to find a guy who adjusts his scheme to fit his players' strengths you should want a coach who finds players that fit his scheme perfectly...

Jackie Chiles
12-06-2013, 05:09 PM

I would hire Saban in a heartbeat if he wanted to come back and give the NFL another shot. Get him a QB and the rest will take care of itself. The man can coach. Same way I felt about Pete Carroll before we decided to stick with Kubiak in 09.

acal21
12-06-2013, 05:27 PM

Raymond Horton is the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. He was an assistant coach for the Washington Redskins, Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, and Pittsburgh Steelers. 2011, Horton was defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals. 2013, Horton was hired as the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.

I would honestly be okay with any of these guys except wade, thats why he is no longer listed

If Lovie can make it to the super bowl with grossman he can win it with schaub or keenum

acal21
12-06-2013, 05:30 PM

You want more of that?

I'd prefer a coach that recognizes and utilizes that talent. The only thing they MUST do is win

He didn't say hide weakness he said keep our special players special... all those guys listed don't have a weakness

mussop
12-06-2013, 06:10 PM
There is no "better than wade" option. He's the best at it. Dude's defenses have done this for decades. 1st year, they look like the 85 bears & by his last year they look like the 2010 texans. That more than anything should tell you that adjusting your scheme to fit your players strengths needs to be minimal b/c ultimately good teams/qbs find out what you can't do well & they force you to do it.

Instead of hoping to find a guy who adjusts his scheme to fit his players' strengths you should want a coach who finds players that fit his scheme perfectly...

Just plain silly.

Texian
12-06-2013, 06:35 PM
1A. David Shaw 1B. Jimbo Fisher 3. Darrell Bevell

FWIW part of the reason ( and a big part) why Saban left Miami is because of limited control he had on selecting and drafting players he wanted.

Lucky
12-06-2013, 06:51 PM
I'd be fine with Lovie too, but he can't pick his OC, you have to have somebody who can do that for him.
How can you hire the leader of the team, and not allow him to pick his own assistants? And who is this "somebody" that would know a good OC if they saw one?

BTW, not a fan of Lovie Smith. Not the leader I'm looking for. Too Kubiak-esqe. Tired already of McClain pumping him up by saying "Lovie's a native Texan". Who cares? I don't care if the next coach comes from Lower Slobovia. I just want a winner.

Texan4Ever
12-06-2013, 06:53 PM

I believe he ran a 4-3/3-4 hybrid defense and will most certainly understand how to move key players around and utilize them to the fullest.

HoustonFrog
12-06-2013, 07:10 PM
How can you hire the leader of the team, and not allow him to pick his own assistants? And who is this "somebody" that would know a good OC if they saw one?

BTW, not a fan of Lovie Smith. Not the leader I'm looking for. Too Kubiak-esqe. Tired already of McClain pumping him up by saying "Lovie's a native Texan". Who cares? I don't care if the next coach comes from Lower Slobovia. I just want a winner.

I agree but I wanted to throw something out. I've been saying all day what you just did because most people I know here in Chicago have told me they loved Lovie..,nice guy, players love him... Basically a better coach than Kubes. Same mold and demeanor. So got them to a SB but issues with hiring OC and being conservative. BUT one of my closest coworkers who lives and breathes Bears wrote me an email that said "Lovie can be a pretty tough guy behind the scenes,main failing with Lovie was not having a grasp of offense." So not a lot different but was adamant in follow ups that tougher behind closed doors. Though that was a Kubes rumor too. I still think there is better out there. I think OBrien...nfl experience and college HC would be better

Mr. White
12-06-2013, 07:14 PM
After watching the press conference again, I was struck by McNair's criteria for the next HC.

I think he substantially limits the field by requiring both NFL and head coaching experience. Also says a lot about Rick Smith's role in the organization which looks like glorified "yes man.".

Almost guarantees he's going with Lovie IMO.

TEXANRED
12-06-2013, 07:25 PM
What's Holmgren doing these days?

bhsman
12-06-2013, 07:27 PM
After watching the press conference again, I was struck by McNair's criteria for the next HC.

I think he substantially limits the field by requiring both NFL and head coaching experience. Also says a lot about Rick Smith's role in the organization which looks like glorified "yes man.".

Almost guarantees he's going with Lovie IMO.

I had the impression that he would very much prefer those qualities, but he's a smart enough owner to not limit himself. I was more concerned with his statements about this not being a long rebuilding period; I'd hate to see him go from hand-offs with the team to the second coming of Jerry.

htownfan32
12-06-2013, 07:43 PM
I had the impression that he would very much prefer those qualities, but he's a smart enough owner to not limit himself. I was more concerned with his statements about this not being a long rebuilding period; I'd hate to see him go from hand-offs with the team to the second coming of Jerry.

I feel the same way, but (and of course I don't know the man personally, so I'm just spitballing) I feel like he is a different personality type from Jerry. If he does go Jerry, though.... we're in for a long ride. :vincepalm:

Hervoyel
12-06-2013, 07:59 PM
asshat

Just wondering if he's now had his first HC gig blow up in his face and learned from it.

Belichick was considered an asshat by many after his time in Cleveland. Next go around he was to say the least "improved".

Rey
12-06-2013, 07:59 PM
McNair should throw a ****load if money at nick saban.

TheIronDuke
12-06-2013, 08:04 PM
McNair should throw a ****load if money at nick saban.

Hasn't he already failed miserably as a HC in the NFL?

Rey
12-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Hasn't he already failed miserably as a HC in the NFL?

Failed miserably? I don't think so.

Left ungracefully? Sure.

I'd love to have saban though. To me he is a head coach. Not a glorified coordinator. He's a head coach.

bhsman
12-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Saban would coach for a year or so and then jettison to coach Bowling Green to a national championship.

Tolar's Ghost
12-06-2013, 08:18 PM
No retreads (like Lovie Smith, Tom "Skinhead" Cable, M. Shanahan, The Walrus, etc.) Although Gruden or Cowher would be entertaining as hell.

Go young and smart. Someone the players will listen to and maybe even learn from.

Screw Saban. Monumental egos need not apply.

Tolar's Ghost
12-06-2013, 08:20 PM
..Belichick was considered an asshat by many after his time in Cleveland...

He still is.

But he's become a helluva coach.

badboy
12-06-2013, 08:23 PM
I got worried for a moment and started to think I might be completely wrong, until I read the http://bleacherreport.com on the link and have decided to not only NOT click this link, but dismiss this argument altogether.So because it was Bleacher report you just chunked it without evaluating or offering a thought out rebuttal with your opinion?

Tolar's Ghost
12-06-2013, 08:35 PM
...It'll probably be Lovie...

What exactly makes him more attractive than other prospects?

And so what if he's from Texas? Who cares?

That's just the kind of provincial, local-yokel thinking that needs to be discarded.

Strange that McNair would get caught up in whether this guy or that guy is from Texas, considering he's from Florida.

Tolar's Ghost
12-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Interesting name tossed around on steelernation.com, of all places:

Louisville HC Charlie Strong.

Maybe a Strong-Bridgewater package.

Not bad.

badboy
12-06-2013, 08:43 PM
I doubt someone like Horton would see what Watt is capable and think that he should rush the passer less. Frankly, nothing guarantees that wouldn't happen with another coach, and I'd rather a guy with a proven track record like Horton.

EDIT: Also, Bleacher Report, dude. i try to read all info including that of posters...like you. more info better. If I disagree, I discard.

badboy
12-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Yes, it was supposed to be a joke. I failed. May God have mercy on my soul.nah just put yourself on a timeout.

PockyAF
12-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Lovie Smith.....

http://youtu.be/r03c2BY1Wso?t=3m3s

sounds oddly familiar

drs23
12-06-2013, 10:05 PM
No retreads (like Lovie Smith, Tom "Skinhead" Cable, M. Shanahan, The Walrus, etc.) Although Gruden or Cowher would be entertaining as hell.

Go young and smart. Someone the players will listen to and maybe even learn from.

Screw Saban. Monumental egos need not apply.

I agree. Sounds like David Shaw to me. I'm in.

Texan4Ever
12-06-2013, 10:19 PM
What's Holmgren doing these days?

No thanks. Wasn't he responsible for being the Browns President or VP of Football Operations? If so he was there when they decided to draft Weeden so no thanks.

Vance87
12-06-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm on board with not hiring Lovie. I don't think he would be that much of a step up from Kubiak. When I think of innovative and adaptive, he does not come to mind.

2slik4u
12-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Lovie Smith.....

http://youtu.be/r03c2BY1Wso?t=3m3s

sounds oddly familiar

Yeah...Lovie is a little too similar to kubiak personality wise. He is very calm and even tempered. I don't like that. I want a coach that is willing to get fired up and get in his players asses on live TV.

I want a guy that has energy.

MistaRed
12-06-2013, 10:33 PM
I don't think Shaw will leave Stanford but if we can get him sign me up.

Don't know much about Seahawks OC. They do have a bruising running game though.

2slik4u
12-06-2013, 10:36 PM

They have #2 offense in the league (points scored)

b0ng
12-06-2013, 10:38 PM

Sorry, if we went for Lovie he would have to say who his OC is before signing and if it's some Mike Tice type I couldn't do it. If he obviously has only broad concepts and his offenses looked different under Martz but they always seem to be poorly run. If you are keeping Smith around I think that means Lovie wouldn't be in total control anyway.

Exascor
12-06-2013, 10:40 PM

Darrell Bevell hasn't been a head coach on any level that I can find. That pretty much takes him off the list if McNair really feels it's a requirement.

Nawzer
12-06-2013, 10:59 PM
I believe they'll really go hard after Gruden first then Lovie Smith. I'm not a big fan of Smith because he reminds me of Kubiak. He did lead his team to the SB, but he just doesn't strike me as the right guy for the Texans at this moment. I might be wrong, but that's my gut feeling right now.

MistaRed
12-06-2013, 11:01 PM

Didn't know that. I always thought Pete Carrol was the brains behind the offense.

BigBull
12-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Didn't know that. I always thought Pete Carrol was the brains behind the offense.

I always thought Pete was a 4-3 under defensive coordinator. Before he became a head coach.

Sent from the future...

TexansFTW
12-07-2013, 12:02 AM
So because it was Bleacher report you just chunked it without evaluating or offering a thought out rebuttal with your opinion?

Short answer, yes.

BR is garbage. Do you take life advice from the local bar drunk?

I can listen to them all day too and see if there is anything I can take away, but I choose not to because my time is better spent taking advice from people in life that I respect.

The local drunk and BR are not those that I respect.

Texian
12-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Based on the tone of the press conference, McNairs limited parameters for finding a coach, along with the perception that Rick Smith threw the coaching staff under the bus and blamed the coaches for all of the Texans short comings, it will be extremely hard to get a good high quality coach in here. Expectations should be for retreads and more mediocrity.

steelbtexan
12-07-2013, 12:41 AM

They gave up 32 to the Jags last Sunday.

bhsman
12-07-2013, 12:43 AM
They gave up 32 to the Jags last Sunday.

Their offense commited two turnovers, two fumbles, and a safety. And by offense I mean Weeden. The defense otherwise held Henne to less than 200 yards, an Int and sacked him twice for a QB rating of 74.5, MJD was held to 77 yards at 3.3 ypc, etc.

steelbtexan
12-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Based on the tone of the press conference, McNairs limited parameters for finding a coach, along with the perception that Rick Smith threw the coaching staff under the bus and blamed the coaches for all of the Texans short comings, it will be extremely hard to get a good high quality coach in here. Expectations should be for retreads and more mediocrity.

If Rick hires Lovie and drafts Teddy I think I will puke.

Ask how Bears fans feel about Lovie

Teddy isn't great against inferior competition.

Give me Jay Gruden/Billick/Holmgren

bhsman
12-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Give me Jay Gruden/Billick/Holmgren

So you want to pass up on a slightly washed-up coach for three guys that are even more washed up. At least you stick to your values, it seems. :kitten:

steelbtexan
12-07-2013, 12:54 AM
There are going to be a lot of NFL head coaching jobs up for grabs this offseason. I'm glad Houston is getting a head start in the race for good candidates, but I'm also concerned about this team getting used by a candidate to bid up their own value on the market with so many open jobs.

So regardless of who comes in for an interview, I won't get my hopes up. But who wouldn't want this job? In Houston you can suck as a head coach for a good long while before the term "accountability" even comes up. Today's 2014 head coach would be seeing his first hot seat no sooner than 2018.

With BoB as owner and Rick as GM if I had other choices I would pass on the Texans.

Nobody wants to work for a GM who will throw the guy who got him hired under the bus.

Bleed_Blu_Red
12-07-2013, 01:03 AM
Their offense commited two turnovers, two fumbles, and a safety. And by offense I mean Weeden. The defense otherwise held Henne to less than 200 yards, an Int and sacked him twice for a QB rating of 74.5, MJD was held to 77 yards at 3.3 ypc, etc.

Thank you for clearing up what I said earlier the Browns D is damn good under Horton. I wouldn't mind the Texans bringing him in,There offense is just as bad if not worse then the Texans due too bad QB play that's what makes last weeks game by them look bad on D.

houstonspartan
12-07-2013, 02:01 AM

LOL. You do realize that this is one of the top sports franchises on the planet, don't you? And that we already have talent on the team? And that we have a very wealthy owner that will give his coaching staff anything it wants? You do realize all of these things, right?

Everybody and their mamma will want this job.

powda
12-07-2013, 02:14 AM
LOL. You do realize that this is one of the top sports franchises on the planet, don't you? And that we already have talent on the team? And that we have a very wealthy owner that will give his coaching staff anything it wants? You do realize all of these things, right?

Not to mention the #1 pick or that tax thing here in texas. Truth is rick smith will be on a shorter leash then any new coach. Bob has proven he can be patient with his coaches which oughta be a pretty nice selling point as well.

thunderkyss
12-07-2013, 08:54 AM

Agreed. We're going to get Lovie Smith (which I don't have a problem with), Jay Cutler, & we'll be able to use our draft picks to really help the team.

Only issue with that, is we'll be in QB limbo, wondering if Cutler can stay healthy or if Case can be the guy (deja vu).

aussie_texan
12-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Agreed. We're going to get Lovie Smith (which I don't have a problem with), Jay Cutler, & we'll be able to use our draft picks to really help the team.

Only issue with that, is we'll be in QB limbo, wondering if Cutler can stay healthy or if Case can be the guy (deja vu).

in this case (pun intended) either cutler succeeds or implodes and we draft a QB the following year in a great year for QBs.

i wouldn't mind cutler his certainly not my first option but i don't think his has bad as some suggest

ArlingtonTexan
12-07-2013, 09:09 AM
With BoB as owner and Rick as GM if I had other choices I would pass on the Texans.

Nobody wants to work for a GM who will throw the guy who got him hired under the bus.

There is only 32 of these jobs in the world. Anybody in the business knows its dirty and cutthroat. probably would rather already know that I have to protect my back than to be caught by surprise.

2slik4u
12-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Darrell Bevell hasn't been a head coach on any level that I can find. That pretty much takes him off the list if McNair really feels it's a requirement.

I agree. I'm not interested in him myself. He's only been there for one year, IIRC.

I would certainly like to see more experience. David Shaw is looking more and more attractive...as a head coach...not as a gay thing...not that there's anything wrong with that.

I like Ray Horton a lot too. That dude is a great defensive mind that could maximize and hopefully develop players like Brooks Reed, Mercilus, Swearinger and dare I say McCain.

As long as Wade is not the head coach I don't think we can go too wrong.

I don't want to see Cowher, Gruden, or Wade personally but out of those three id be ok with gruden if I we acquired him.

2slik4u
12-07-2013, 09:43 AM

That's ridiculous. The Texans organization has unreal attraction that other teams don't. For example:

- a hands off owner
- a #1 draft pick to start your tenure as a new HC
- a defense LOADED with young talent at all levels
- an offense with an all-pro WR, an all-pro RB, two all-pro lineman and a young stud at the WR#2 position
- a division that is probably one of the weakest in the league
- a 2014 last place schedule to get rolling in first year
***added bonus - no state taxe*******

There are many other HC vacancies that are WAY worse off than we are. I would say that we probably have first rights to every HC prospect coming up this next season. No one in their right mind would pass on a gig like this. The only variable is if Rick and Bob make the right choice.

This team is far from a team in shambles. We are set up to compete next year with the right personnel and the right coaching.

I personally think they will.

Texian
12-07-2013, 09:56 AM

Are you talking about Dallas or Houston?

Texian
12-07-2013, 09:59 AM
That's ridiculous. The Texans organization has unreal attraction that other teams don't. For example:

- a hands off owner

Apparently you didn't see the press conference yestersday.

2slik4u
12-07-2013, 10:04 AM

I watched a little bit of it afterwards on my phone. What are you referring to?

amazing80
12-07-2013, 10:05 AM

just stop. you're completely wrong and trolling now. This team may not be perfect, but it is very talented, has cap room, an easy schedule next year, the number 1 pick and a great fan base. A coach will love coming here.

I really want a defensive minded head coach. To be it seems better to have a defensive guy leading the team but then we need a great OC. Im just not sure who I prefer at OC yet. BUT I am all in for Ray Horton for head coach.

Texian
I watched a little bit of it afterwards on my phone. What are you referring to?

see the part in BOLD above

Exascor
Are you talking about Dallas or Houston?Dallas is no longer an attractive job IMO. Jerry Jones will have trouble attracting any decent head coaches because he's a terrible GM. He gets talent with no thoughts on team synergy. The only thing that makes Dallas better than the bottom feeding teams (AZ, TB, BUF, CLE...) is 20 year old history and/or pay.

Texian
12-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Dallas is no longer an attractive job IMO. Jerry Jones will have trouble attracting any decent head coaches because he's a terrible GM. He gets talent with no thoughts on team synergy. The only thing that makes Dallas better than the bottom feeding teams (AZ, TB, BUF, CLE...) is 20 year old history and/or pay.

does having a terrible GM only apply to Dallas?

Exascor
12-07-2013, 10:09 AM
just stop. you're completely wrong and trolling now. This team may not be perfect, but it is very talented, has cap room, an easy schedule next year, the number 1 pick and a great fan base. A coach will love coming here.

I really want a defensive minded head coach. To be it seems better to have a defensive guy leading the team but then we need a great OC. Im just not sure who I prefer at OC yet. BUT I am all in for Ray Horton for head coach.Not saying that Horton wouldn't make a good head coach but...he has no head coaching experience. That eliminates him from being considered based on McNair's requirements. Might want to find another candidate's train to hop onto because I don't think Horton's is heading to Houston any time soon.

2slik4u
12-07-2013, 10:10 AM
see the part in BOLD above

Good answer bro.

Let me spell it out for you.

What part in the press conference are you referring to as being a contradiction to hands off owner?

If you go into his insistence to play keenum and kubiaks insistence to play schaub then that is ridiculous to take turn that into a meddling owner.

He has allowed kubiak 100% freedom for the past 8 years. The only time he stepped in was when kubiak was a dead man walking and he didn't want the teams future jeoperdized by a coach that was on his way out indefinitely.

So let me know exactly what you were referring to to contradict 8 years of hands off ownership.

amazing80
12-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Not saying that Horton wouldn't make a good head coach but...he has no head coaching experience. That eliminates him from being considered based on McNair's requirements. Might want to find another candidate's train to hop onto because I don't think Horton's is heading to Houston any time soon.

I think Bob may PREFER those things, but I wouldn't say he is 100% against hiring someone without head coach experience. I think he would be foolishly eliminating great prospects.....not to mention just because they have experience doesn't automatically make them better head coaches...

Exascor
12-07-2013, 10:13 AM
does having a terrible GM only apply to Dallas?Nope. If you've read any of my posts on Rick Smith then you'll know I agree with you on him. The difference is, if Smith is retained and screws up he can be fired. That's not exactly going to happen to Jerry Jones. I doubt the Cowboys get a new GM until Jones is buried.

Nawzer
12-07-2013, 10:20 AM

- a hands off owner
- an offense with an all-pro WR, an all-pro RB, two all-pro lineman and a young stud at the WR#2 position

There are many other HC vacancies that are WAY worse off than we are. I would say that we probably have first rights to every HC prospect coming up this next season. No one in their right mind would pass on a gig like this. The only variable is if Rick and Bob make the right choice.

This team is far from a team in shambles. We are set up to compete next year with the right personnel and the right coaching.

I'm not too sure about the bolded part. Not saying we don't have talent, but I certainly don't think we're loaded. We have massive issues as ILB, NT, and in the secondary. Not to mention we don't have outside pass rushers and if we stay 3-4 we'll have to find 2 OLB's who can pass rush. Mercilus has been inconsistent, but I think he has some potential. In the offense, we obviously have a massive question mark at the QB position and if we can't find a good QB we're not going anywhere. Foster has been battling various injuries over the past couple of years and who knows how much he has left in the tank. Andre Johnson will be a year older and the obvious problems in the right side of our o-line. I don't think the Texans will be able to solve every problem, but they have some pieces they can build around like JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins. If McNair is really interested in a quick turnaround then he has to be fix the QB position first and foremost. I'm of the opinion you take the best QB available with the #1 because of the potential rewards. Then fix the o-line with good veteran players who can protect a young QB. I'm assuming Cushing will be back healthy so that will take care of the ILB but they must find good backups for him this time around. Lastly, they absolutely must find a couple of good pass rushers and that will make a huge difference on how the defense plays and it will make the secondary's job easier.

Mr. White
12-07-2013, 10:29 AM

I'm with you. He didn't come off as "hands off" in the press conference at all, but that's solely based on my impression. The only time he deferred to Rick at all was the question about the draft which Rick totally sidestepped.

I really don't get where the "hands off" thing comes from. I think that's a myth that's been repeated so many times that everybody believes it. The fact is that no one knows what Bob does, what Cal does, or what Rick does except people on the inside and they aren't talking.

I don't really think it's a bad thing either. I really like the way Bob came off yesterday. I want an owner who knows something about football. It's better than an owner that thinks he knows everything about it.

If anybody has anything to prove me wrong, I'd love to see it because I've been wondering about this for years.

Honoring Earl 34
12-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Today's prediction is Del Rio and he brings in Munchak as an OL ast head coach . Yes Munchak after he gets canned .

2slik4u
12-07-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm not too sure about the bolded part. Not saying we don't have talent, but I certainly don't think we're loaded. We have massive issues as ILB, NT, and in the secondary. Not to mention we don't have outside pass rushers and if we stay 3-4 we'll have to find 2 OLB's who can pass rush. Mercilus has been inconsistent, but I think he has some potential. In the offense, we obviously have a massive question mark at the QB position and if we can't find a good QB we're not going anywhere. Foster has been battling various injuries over the past couple of years and who knows how much he has left in the tank. Andre Johnson will be a year older and the obvious problems in the right side of our o-line. I don't think the Texans will be able to solve every problem, but they have some pieces they can build around like JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins. If McNair is really interested in a quick turnaround then he has to be fix the QB position first and foremost. I'm of the opinion you take the best QB available with the #1 because of the potential rewards. Then fix the o-line with good veteran players who can protect a young QB. I'm assuming Cushing will be back healthy so that will take care of the ILB but they must find good backups for him this time around. Lastly, they absolutely must find a couple of good pass rushers and that will make a huge difference on how the defense plays and it will make the secondary's job easier.

I posted earlier that these questionable players are still in question. With the right coaching I think these players could be developed into something special. Brooks reed, Mercilus, Swearinger, McCain - all of these players are young enough that they can still live up to their draft potential. Coaching does wonders and I'm hoping it will as well.

I think it's accurate to say that all of these players are talented but just not very good at their position. Talent will only take you so far before you have to start learning the craft. I don't think they ever had good coaching to develop them into nfl players.

Hopefully you will see why I chose the word "talented" instead of "great"

Nawzer
12-07-2013, 10:45 AM
I posted earlier that these questionable players are still in question. With the right coaching I think these players could be developed into something special. Brooks reed, Mercilus, Swearinger, McCain - all of these players are young enough that they can still live up to their draft potential. Coaching does wonders and I'm hoping it will as well.

I think it's accurate to say that all of these players are talented but just not very good at their position. Talent will only take you so far before you have to start learning the craft. I don't think they ever had good coaching to develop them into nfl players.

Hopefully you will see why I chose the word "talented" instead of "great"

I hope you're correct and that good coaching and a change in philosophy can turn things around, but that doesn't mean you don't at the very least try to acquire new talent. It's going to be a clean slate for everyone and everyone has to compete for the starting job.

2slik4u
12-07-2013, 10:47 AM
I hope you're correct and that good coaching and a change in philosophy can turn things around, but that doesn't mean you don't at the very least try to acquire new talent. It's going to be a clean slate for everyone and everyone has to compete for the starting job.

Oh you bet. Just like every year...gotta reload. I was just saying we weren't exactly a Jacksonville or Oakland.

We have some good building blocks but still need to fill some holes in this years draft.

Nawzer
12-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Oh you bet. Just like every year...gotta reload. I was just saying we weren't exactly a Jacksonville or Oakland.

We have some good building blocks but still need to fill some holes in this years draft.

Absolutely agree.

drs23
12-07-2013, 11:06 AM

Hell no we're not. They both BEAT US. The Jags twice. We've got quite a way to go to catch them.

We suck.

infantrycak
12-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Hell no we're not. They both BEAT US. The Jags twice. We've got quite a way to go to catch them.

We suck.

Which doesn't mean the talent level sucks. McNair is dumping Kubiak because the talent level does not suck and therefore the coaching was sub-par. Ask the Chiefs if losing is always an indication of overall talent level sucking, or Indy.

2slik4u
12-07-2013, 11:16 AM

We suck.

Yes because both of those sorry ass teams beat us this season that means they are head and shoulders better than us.

Pfffffft.

If you truly think that both of those teams are better Teams and organizations then you are dead wrong. Just relax there, guy. We had an awful season and just canned our HC. If were betting on who is going farther next season between those three teams...I would call you a fool if you picked either of those two.

Texian
12-07-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm with you. He didn't come off as "hands off" in the press conference at all, but that's solely based on my impression. The only time he deferred to Rick at all was the question about the draft which Rick totally sidestepped.

I really don't get where the "hands off" thing comes from. I think that's a myth that's been repeated so many times that everybody believes it. The fact is that no one knows what Bob does, what Cal does, or what Rick does except people on the inside and they aren't talking.

I don't really think it's a bad thing either. I really like the way Bob came off yesterday. I want an owner who knows something about football. It's better than an owner that thinks he knows everything about it.

If anybody has anything to prove me wrong, I'd love to see it because I've been wondering about this for years.

Yesterday was an unintentional peek behind the curtain. The illustrious McNair shine showed a little tarnish. What I learned is Bob McNair could be more like Jerry Jones than anyone thought possible. And there could be a bigger disconnect and mess created by the McNairs than anyone thought possible. No doubt the McNair's aspire to a Committment to Excellence, just not confident they really know what that means. No doubt the McNairs want to win and win very badly. So far including yesterday's PC they have demonstrated they haven't grasped just how to do that. What do I mean by this? I would not be surprised if Lovie Smith was the new Head Coach and Jay Cutler is the new Texans QB. More Mediocrity? More average and ordinary? Yesterday's PC may have been that first step.

Texecutioner
12-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Which doesn't mean the talent level sucks. McNair is dumping Kubiak because the talent level does not suck and therefore the coaching was sub-par. Ask the Chiefs if losing is always an indication of overall talent level sucking, or Indy.

McNair only dumped Kubiak because he kept playing Sloth over Keenum. Be realistic. If Kubes won another game or so and kept Keenum playing we would be looking at another 3 yrs of Kubiak most likely.

2slik4u
12-07-2013, 11:21 AM
McNair only dumped Kubiak because he kept playing Sloth over Keenum. Be realistic. If Kubes won another game or so and kept Keenum playing we would be looking at another 3 yrs of Kubiak most likely.

I completely disagree and think you are pretty dillusional if you truly think that.

Uncle Rico
12-07-2013, 11:28 AM
I completely disagree and think you are pretty dillusional if you truly think that.

LOL, watch out here comes a few pages of curse words and macho BS headed your way!

steelbtexan
12-07-2013, 11:29 AM
1. Rex Ryan
2. Jay Gruden
3. Billick
4. Holmgren
5. Shaw
6. Zimmer

We need a HC that adds an edge to the team. What we dont need is a Rick yes man.

Uncle Rico
12-07-2013, 11:30 AM
I also heard on one of the radio stations that Mike Sherman is willing to suck D across the country to land this gig.

TexansFTW
12-07-2013, 11:31 AM

Well said. Numbers never lie... when you read the numbers behind the numbers.

in this case (pun intended) either cutler succeeds or implodes and we draft a QB the following year in a great year for QBs.

i wouldn't mind cutler his certainly not my first option but i don't think his has bad as some suggest

It's NEVER a great year for QBs when you draft 19+. Why doesn't anyone get that? The future is NOT Jay Cutler.

"Why don't we just draft Russell Wilson, the Seahawks did it".

31 teams try to draft that 3rd+ round QB of the future EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Most end up like Mike Glennon (poor at best).

2011 was a year that was supposed to have solid QBs too, the only team it worked out for was #1 pick - Cam Newton. Come the start of 2014 I imagine picks #10 and #12 are jobless while #8 pick is given 1 final chance which he ultimately fails at setting these franchises back 3-4 years each. Oh yeah and one of them will have wasted arguably the greatest RB in NFL history doing so.

2slik4u
12-07-2013, 11:33 AM
LOL, watch out here comes a few pages of curse words and macho BS headed your way!

Haha. I ain't to worried about it. If it's beneath me I'll typically just lurk the rest of the thread. Guys who can't have a discussion but instead want to act big behind a computer screen don't scare me.

Instead of getting involved and turning into one of them I sit back and let them have their day.

Uncle Rico
12-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Haha. I ain't to worried about it. If it's beneath me I'll typically just lurk the rest of the thread. Guys who can't have a discussion but instead want to act big behind a computer screen don't scare me.

Instead of getting involved and turning into one of them I sit back and let them have their day.

True. I wish more people could debate without resorting to cursing and demeaning.

Texn4life
12-07-2013, 11:45 AM
After 2 "nice guy" head coaches I have a feeling we're going to go another route and pursue a fiery head coach. IMO the perfect scenario would be to hire Jon or Jay Gruden as head coach and bring in a fired Rex Ryan as DC. The entire culture would change here.

I like Lovie Smith, but I don't think he's a fit here. None of the other guys with Bob's criteria excite me either.

gwallaia
12-07-2013, 11:52 AM
We need a Marine drill sergeant type coach.

Texian
12-07-2013, 11:53 AM
After 2 "nice guy" head coaches I have a feeling we're going to go another route and pursue a fiery head coach.

What we have here is a "Pattern of Behavior", a McNair trait, nothing to suggest the McNairs would step outside of their comfort zone. I do hope that Bob will interview David Shaw and Jimbo Fisher if only to experience and become familiar with what a serious, no nonsense, winning attitude, well prepared head coaches are like.

TexansFTW
12-07-2013, 12:15 PM
We need a Marine drill sergeant type coach.

Like Greg Schiano? I'm sure he will be on the market once this season raps up. They will have only won like 3 maybe 4 games and he lost the locker room at week 6, but maybe...

Tolar's Ghost
12-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Knowing his corporate mentality, McNair will hire Lovie Smith. End of story. He'll promote it as "the right guy for the job." Never mind his proclamation yesterday that the next coach should have a history of developing QBs.

And that's the problem with McNair: He's almost too conservative to be in an enterprise like pro football. That's been reflected in the team's results - mediocre, at best.

Young, bright guys like Bevell, Toub (KC), Gase (Denver) and Roman (SF, and who once was a Texans assistant) will be hired in the next year or two. Just not by Boardroom Bob. He plays it safe. But, once again, not smart.

steelbtexan
12-07-2013, 12:18 PM

- a hands off owner

While I agree with the right HC things could turn around quickly. If Rick can add 3 impact player and 2 more contributing players in this draft.

1. An owner who gives you responibility and says you can do what you want. Except when you try to add a quality player with a troubled past he wont let you do it. Meanwhile your competition Denver/Patriots/Indy are adding players like this. See: Aquib Talib to the Pats. DRC to the Broncos. Vontae Davis to the Colts. Think any of those CB's would look good on the Texans.
2. Other than JJ watt what young talent are you talking about? Cushing? Only plays half a season, KJ, has regressed, JoJo, A shell of himself and far from young. Who else is remotely uberly talented on this defense?
3. Agreed about the WR's except they dont have a WR that can take the top off a defense. Hopefully Posey can develop into this guy 2 yrs removed from his injury. Tell me more about the QB throwing them the ball.alent at key positiond
4. Agreed
5.Agreed
6. Agreed

Is the new HC going to be allowed to lead the org? Bring in a new S&C coach, get a new medical staff? As these are the reasons I feel that injuries seem to plague the Texans roster more than most. Is rick going to make these decisions or is the new HC? Because if it's Rick you can expect more of the status quo and if I'm the prospective HC that's a deal breaker for me.

The truth is that the Texans are the worst team in the NFL for a reason. Coaching and a lack of talent/depth at key positions. OL/NT/CB/S. There's no way a SB contending team would have Keo/Mitchell or McCain/nickle starting on their defense.

2slik4u
12-07-2013, 12:26 PM
While I agree with the right HC things could turn around quickly. If Rick can add 3 impact player and 2 more contributing players in this draft.

1. An owner who gives you responibility and says you can do what you want. Except when you try to add a quality player with a troubled past he wont let you do it. Meanwhile your competition Denver/Patriots/Indy are adding players like this. See: Aquib Talib to the Pats. DRC to the Broncos. Vontae Davis to the Colts. Think any of those CB's would look good on the Texans.
2. Other than JJ watt what young talent are you talking about? Cushing? Only plays half a season, KJ, has regressed, JoJo, A shell of himself and far from young. Who else is remotely uberly talented on this defense?
3. Agreed about the WR's except they dont have a WR that can take the top off a defense. Hopefully Posey can develop into this guy 2 yrs removed from his injury.
4. Agreed
5.Agreed
6. Agreed

Is the new HC going to be allowed to lead the org? Bring in a new S&C coach, get a new medical staff? As these are the reasons I feel that injuries seem to plague the Texans roster more than most. Is rick going to make these decisions or is the new HC? Because if it's Rick you can expect more of the status quo and if I'm the prospective HC that's a deal breaker for me.

I think the questions you raised at the end of your post will expose greatly on who was pushing the buttons when it came to drafts as far as smith or kubiak is concerned. We will find out how smart/dumb he is with the new
Hire.

steelbtexan
12-07-2013, 12:28 PM
I think the questions you raised at the end of your post will expose greatly on who was pushing the buttons when it came to drafts as far as smith or kubiak is concerned. We will find out how smart/dumb he is with the new
Hire.

You should be worried that Rick is being allowed to hire the new HC.

GuerillaBlack
12-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Knowing his corporate mentality, McNair will hire Lovie Smith. End of story. He'll promote it as "the right guy for the job." Never mind his proclamation yesterday that the next coach should have a history of developing QBs.

And that's the problem with McNair: He's almost too conservative to be in an enterprise like pro football. That's been reflected in the team's results - mediocre, at best.

Young, bright guys like Bevell, Toub (KC), Gase (Denver) and Roman (SF, and who once was a Texans assistant) will be hired in the next year or two. Just not by Boardroom Bob. He plays it safe. But, once again, not smart.

I've been calling the Lovie Smith hire for weeks now. It fits in perfectly with McNair and his fairy tales, with Lovie being an East Texas native, Black coach, and he has had some good success in Chicago. The only knock against Lovie is that the previous coach here was like him, but at least Lovie has had more success than Kubiak and the players/fans in Chicago still love him.

IBleedTexans
12-07-2013, 12:40 PM

3. Agreed about the WR's except they dont have a WR that can take the top off a defense. Hopefully Posey can develop into this guy 2 yrs removed from his injury. Tell me more about the QB throwing them the ball.alent at key positiond
4. Agreed
5.Agreed
6. Agreed

The truth is that the Texans are the worst team in the NFL for a reason. Coaching and a lack of talent/depth at key positions. OL/NT/CB/S. There's no way a SB contending team would have Keo/Mitchell or McCain/nickle starting on their defense.

I don't agree with the bolded , you're acting like rick made no attempts to improve the roster. Ed reed was brought in to be the safety for the next couple years. Ozzie newsome also made a bad move this off season by paying huff his money. No one bats 1.000 my good sir , people make mistakes

Tolar's Ghost
12-07-2013, 12:41 PM
I have little-to-no confidence in McNair (and Smith) to make the right choice.

The team is no further along now than it was 10 years ago.

Sad, but true.

In the end, Boardroom Bob is simply a newer version of Bottom Line Bud (Adams), albeit with smoother edges.

2slik4u
12-07-2013, 12:42 PM

I don't think Smith is the devil as you do.

Is he the best GM in the league? No.

Is he right at/or above average? I think so.

We have done some great things and some not so great things since he's been here. Because of the great things I think he deserves to go outside his Denver "box" to see how he will do with a different system.

Now with that said...if he was/is fired at the end of the season I will be completely ok with it...assuming we go after a guy like DeCosta.

My best case scenario was Smithiak fired.

My second best scenario was kubiak fired and smith staying.

Worst case was they both stay.

Texn4life
12-07-2013, 12:42 PM
I will say this about Lovie Smith. I do think he could maximize our CBs potential. I think it would take some pressure off of those guys and allow them to play a little more free with his Tampa 2.

Mr. White
12-07-2013, 12:54 PM

I really don't think he is unless there's something out there I haven't heard yet.

Looks to me like this is McNair's call based on what I saw at the presser.

Tolar's Ghost
12-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Note: For McNair to dismiss someone who doesn't have college or NFL head-coaching experience illustrates just how clueless he is.

Neither John Harbaugh nor Mike Tomlin was ever a head coach prior to being hired by Baltimore and Pittsburgh. And they're merely among the top HCs in the league.

It just shows that McNair really doesn't grasp the qualities it takes to be an NFL head coach.

IBleedTexans
12-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Note: For McNair to dismiss someone who doesn't have college or NFL head-coaching experience illustrates just how clueless he is.

Neither John Harbaugh nor Mike Tomlin was ever a head coach prior to being hired by Baltimore and Pittsburgh. And they're merely among the top HCs in the league.

It just shows that McNair really doesn't grasp the qualities it takes to be an NFL head coach.

And those are 2 examples, what about the kubiaks and capers of the world . He thinks this team is just a few players away and thinks a more experience coach will take us there.

I don't understand why there is so much negativity here lately ? We're doing what needs to be done , just like everyone wanted . Had he kept Kubes everyone one would still be pissed at McNair , damned if he does damned if he don't . He's been an owner now for 11 years , I have faith in McNair to find our next Head coach .

Thorn
12-07-2013, 01:16 PM
I was way past tired of arguing about Kubiak, now I'm already getting weary of this new coach stuff. I can't wait until he hires someone so we'll have something new to b!tch about besides whether or not Case is starting material or not.

Pantherstang84
12-07-2013, 01:16 PM
And those are 2 examples, what about the kubiaks and capers of the world . He thinks this team is just a few players away and thinks a more experience coach will take us there.

I don't understand why there is so much negativity here lately ? We're doing what needs to be done , just like everyone wanted . Had he kept Kubes everyone one would still be pissed at McNair , damned if he does damned if he don't . He's been an owner now for 11 years , I have faith in McNair to find our next Head coach .

You know some people ***** for the sake of bitching and because they enjoy it. It takes all kinds.

Thorn
12-07-2013, 01:17 PM
You know some people ***** for the sake of bitching and because they enjoy it. It takes all kinds.

You rang? :)

steelbtexan
12-07-2013, 01:19 PM
I don't agree with the bolded , you're acting like rick made no attempts to improve the roster. Ed reed was brought in to be the safety for the next couple years. Ozzie newsome also made a bad move this off season by paying huff his money. No one bats 1.000 my good sir , people make mistakes

Nobody bats a thousand, but they should try too. C-N-D told us that Reed wouldn't be the Reed of old. If he knew that the Texans Dr's/Rick should've known this also.

All of the extentions/bad FA signings should've cost Rick his job. But BoB didn't want to pay off 2 yrs remaining on Ricks contract and 1 yr on Gary's.

Bottom line is the Texans are the worst team in the NFL. Rick was in charge of the team and while batting .1000 maybe unrealistic, Rick went 0 for this offseason and has only been about .300 since he's been GM with the salary cap/draft picks/FA signings. Rick is a major reason this team is where it is today.

But atleast BoB didn't go all in on the it's too traumatic thingy. If you truly believe that Rick Smith is the guy to lead this team to prominence that's your perrogative. But I will be calling out his mistakes. Nobody bats .1000 but to be a SB contender the GM needs to bat atleast .750 and I think that's too much to ask from Rick. In short I think Rick is in over his head. (Hope I'm wrong)

Watching his facial expressions during BoB's press confrence sickened me. He looked like a man that had no remorse for throwing his friend/mentor (Gary) under the bus. This man will never bring a SB to this city. He lacks character and is BoB's yes man. The good news for BoB is that Rick will make BoB alot of $$$$ while he continues to pull the wool over the paying customers eyes.

Unless BoB gives the new HC the power that he gave Gary and I dont see that happening.

Texian
12-07-2013, 01:21 PM

McNair has painted himself in to a small corner. Based on his comments it sounded like McNair already has a coach in mind. Based on the parametrs discussed it sounds like Lovie is his man.

bhsman
12-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Like Greg Schiano? I'm sure he will be on the market once this season raps up. They will have only won like 3 maybe 4 games and he lost the locker room at week 6, but maybe...

Guys like that are why I don't want a super-strict coach: they often can't differentiate between not acting like an *******. Guys like Jim Harbaugh are strict enough to look like *******s to everyone else but their teams will run through brick walls for them. I don't really see the aversion to "player's coaches" either, there's no one type of coach without a downside to complement the strengths.

steelbtexan
12-07-2013, 01:25 PM
I have little-to-no confidence in McNair (and Smith) to make the right choice.

The team is no further along now than it was 10 years ago.

Sad, but true.

In the end, Boardroom Bob is simply a newer version of Bottom Line Bud (Adams), albeit with smoother edges.

Yep

Bud was a friend nd mentor to BoB.

Can I steal the boardroom BoB moniker from you? It describes BoB perfectly.

Tolar's Ghost
12-07-2013, 01:31 PM
...He thinks this team is just a few players away and thinks a more experience coach will take us there...I don't understand why there is so much negativity here lately?..

No one means to be negative just for the sake of it.

But a lot of people here are realists. And they're wary of McNair/Smith making the right decision. As they should be.

I think Texans management has done a good job of lowering expectations when it come to these kinds of decisions.

As a longtime Steelers fan, admittedly I've been spoiled. But I want to see the Texans have the same kind of success.

Note: As for McNair thinking his the team "is just a few players away": That's exactly the mindset that helped get the team in their current predicament.

After last season, they figured the roster simply needed a little tweaking to get them to Super Bowl contention. So they signed Ed Reed. Not smart.

It doesn't work like that in the NFL. Every year there's a new set of variables. Just because you were 12-4 one year doesn't mean you'll be 14-2 and in the Super Bowl the next year.

As someone once said, if you aren't working hard to get better, you'll get worse.

Tolar's Ghost
12-07-2013, 01:36 PM
...Can I steal the Boardroom Bob moniker from you? It describes BoB perfectly...

Absolutely. It's all public domain.

I was just trying to come up with an alliterative nickname for Mr. McNair, like Bottom Like Bud.

As a person, McNair strikes me as very likeable. But I just don't think he quite gets it when it comes to this kind of decision.

CloakNNNdagger
12-07-2013, 01:39 PM

Or that the engagement of his brain lags behind the engagement of his mouth.

Tolar's Ghost
12-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Good summation, counselor.

IBleedTexans
12-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Nobody bats a thousand, but they should try too. C-N-D told us that Reed wouldn't be the Reed of old. If he knew that the Texans Dr's/Rick should've known this also.

All of the extentions/bad FA signings should've cost Rick his job. But BoB didn't want to pay off 2 yrs remaining on Ricks contract and 1 yr on Gary's.

Bottom line is the Texans are the worst team in the NFL. Rick was in charge of the team and while batting .1000 maybe unrealistic, Rick went 0 for this offseason and has only been about .300 since he's been GM with the salary cap/draft picks/FA signings. Rick is a major reason this team is where it is today.

But atleast BoB didn't go all in on the it's too traumatic thingy. If you truly believe that Rick Smith is the guy to lead this team to prominence that's your perrogative. But I will be calling out his mistakes. Nobody bats .1000 but to be a SB contender the GM needs to bat atleast .750 and I think that's too much to ask from Rick. In short I think Rick is in over his head. (Hope I'm wrong)

Watching his facial expressions during BoB's press confrence sickened me. He looked like a man that had no remorse for throwing his friend/mentor (Gary) under the bus. This man will never bring a SB to this city. He lacks character and is BoB's yes man. The good news for BoB is that Rick will make BoB alot of $$$$ while he continues to pull the wool over the paying customers eyes.

Unless BoB gives the new HC the power that he gave Gary and I dont see that happening.

What about all the mid season pick ups this team has found? How about the undrafted and low draft picks he's turned into NFL players. Yes he had a down year , but he's done more good than bad for this organization. He doesn't coach the players he just get em. How sure are you that the depth on this team is no good? By the coaching??? C'mon man , Rick can only do so much bro

The Pencil Neck
12-07-2013, 02:03 PM

Texecutioner and I agree on... well... pretty much nothing. But we agree on this.

IF Kubiak had been able to show some "progress" and keep us in games, he'd still have this gig next year. And if he was able to put together a winning record next year and contend for the playoffs, I think he'd have been given an extension.

I don't even think we'd have needed to win all of our remaining games this year as long as we kept the margin of defeat small, didn't have a zillion penalties, and Case was given the opportunity to start. I think the close loss to New England had probably almost convinced McNair to keep Kubes.

I think McNair is afraid of changing coaches because he knows that lots of coaches are hired every year and all those coaches look like good prospects and most of them fail. Like Bum Phillips said, if you're a head coach, you've either been fired or you're about to be fired.

infantrycak
12-07-2013, 02:11 PM

Yeah, well neither did Baltimore. Harbaugh was not the first choice. Jason Garrett was offered the job and turned it down.

This debate is almost amusing if it wasn't sad. McNair got slagged by some for hiring 1st time HC Kubiak who has then been slagged for hiring 1st time coordinators and now McNair is getting slagged for wanting HC experience at some level.

steelbtexan
12-07-2013, 02:12 PM
What about all the mid season pick ups this team has found? How about the undrafted and low draft picks he's turned into NFL players. Yes he had a down year , but he's done more good than bad for this organization. He doesn't coach the players he just get em. How sure are you that the depth on this team is no good? By the coaching??? C'mon man , Rick can only do so much bro

Keeping loe rd picks on the team because you drafted them and trumpeting midseason FA pickups are not difference makers on SB contenders.

Name 1 of these type of players that are not named Foster that have truly been difference makers since Rick has been GM?

The reason these players are even on the rosterare because
1. Rick drafted them and if it's close between them and somebody who is an UNDA the draft pick gets the spot. (Excluding RB's)

2. They work cheap, the Texans are always against the salary cap and late rd picks/UDFA's fill the bottom of the roster.

3. Why do you think the Texans ST's are so bad? Could it be that Rick has done a bad job filling out the roster with the type of late rd/midseason FA pick ups you are describing?

steelbtexan
12-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Yeah, well neither did Baltimore. Harbaugh was not the first choice. Jason Garrett was offered the job and turned it down.

This debate is almost amusing if it wasn't sad. McNair got slagged by some for hiring 1st time HC Kubiak who has then been slagged for hiring 1st time coordinators and now McNair is getting slagged for wanting HC experience at some level.

Agreed

I want a proven winner with a SB ring as the next HC of Texans. Regardless of the no HC has won 2 SB with different teams thingy. The Texans as of right now are the worst team in the NFL. They should be thinking about hiring a HC that can make them relative again. Not thinking about winning a SB for the next 3-4 yrs. A great proven HC may be able to speed up that time frame by a yr or two.

The Pencil Neck
12-07-2013, 02:20 PM
OK. So. For DISCUSSION purposes only, I threw together a quick list of some guys who've got NFL HC experience who I believe are out there. Some of them might not want the job, some of them might. But I thought it would be interesting to look at. This list is in no particular order:

Mike Sherman -- McNair and Smith know him.
Norv Turner -- Please, god, no.
Lovie Smith
Steve Mariucci
Jon Gruden
Bill Cowher
Brad Childress
Whisenhunt
Dennis Green
Jim Mora
Brian Billick
Wade Phillips
Romeo Crennel