PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak just got fired

mussop
12-06-2013, 12:19 PM
About time.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/12/06/breaking-gary-kubiak-reportedly-fired-as-texans-head-coach/

Rey
12-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Impossible. McNair would never do it in season. Besides, what's the point?

:kitten:

cbs1507
take wade with him

WolverineFan
About time

Mr. Texan
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LwhYWKhzABo/US4fZUnmaLI/AAAAAAAAKPs/VisLLmAPPCY/s1600/Dave-Chapelle-Harlem-Shake-gif.gif

darnbni99a
12-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Marciano next

Pantherstang84
12-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Surprised it happened mid-season but not surprised it happened.

mussop
12-06-2013, 12:24 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LwhYWKhzABo/US4fZUnmaLI/AAAAAAAAKPs/VisLLmAPPCY/s1600/Dave-Chapelle-Harlem-Shake-gif.gif

A good man just lost his job and you are making jokes.

Funny one as hell though.

Double Barrel
12-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Good luck in the future, coach, and let me be the first to say thank you for bringing some success to this franchise. You took over a team that never had a winning record and got them two division 'championships'. So at least we are not waiting 20 years for any type of success like the Saints (and believe me, I was worried about that during the franchise's first 7 seasons).

Now onward and upward! :texflag:

qqert
12-06-2013, 12:27 PM
thank you kubiak, you are a good man.
just could've been a better coach if you didn't get schaubed.

badboy
Per McNair: Wade is a candidate. Then this: "We have a young QB in Case Keenum and we need to find out if he can be a starter". Hmm wonder if this says Bob upset Schaub came in.

Mr. Texan
http://i.imgur.com/1hbLk.gif

Norg
12-06-2013, 12:28 PM
RICK SMITH NEXT PLZZZZ BOB :koolaid:

O HAPPY DAYS O HAPPY DAYS !!!!!!!!!!!

mussop
12-06-2013, 12:28 PM
McNair said they want someone who is innovative and who can make adjustments. Ouch!!!!!

Marcus
12-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Holy Crap!!

I did NOT think McNair would pull the trigger until the end of the season, if then.

I was wrong folks. But after last night's ridiculousness, it's the right decision.

CretorFrigg
12-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Per McNair: Wade is a candidate. Then this: "We have a young QB in Case Keenum and we need to find out if he can be a starter". Hmm wonder if this says Bob upset Schaub came in.

Wade is a candidate? That scares the **** out of me.

deucetx
It was time but I still wish Kubes the best. He got our franchise on track and gave us our first taste of some sort of success. It's unfortunate that he's a 'middling' head coach and couldn't become something more while with us. Still he had his accomplishments but it's about going to that next level which should always be the goal.

badboy
McNair "did think about this generally after first Jags game. Did not see that we were making improvement. New coach must have NFL experience and head coach NFL experience. They are available. Keenum will start."

edwardc5637
12-06-2013, 12:31 PM
It has taken long enough about time.

mussop
12-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Says he wants a coach with head coaching experience. So Cowher or Chuckie?????

Marcus
12-06-2013, 12:33 PM
From listening to McNair's comments, it sounds to me like the last straw was putting Schaub in the game last night.

Anyone agree?

He really hem hawed when they asked him about it.

Mr. Texan
12-06-2013, 12:33 PM
case still the starter :clap:

steelbtexan
12-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks Gary for helping build a foundation for this franchise.

Too bad you weren't the guy to see this team make it thru to the next level. Can you please take Rick/Wade with you so the housecleaning can be complete.

Best of luck in your future endevoros. Take care of your health 1st.

PapaL
12-06-2013, 12:34 PM
I don't think 2-11 is "mid-season". Our season has been long over, even with 3 games to go.

Mr. Texan
12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
McNair "We're looking for a coach who's bright, ethical, innovative and is able to make adjustments."

ouch

badboy
Why is experience important to you (John McClain) "experience shows if coach can handle responsibility. Players may not make good decisions as they think as a player."

ON record "This has been horrible. The organized disciplined way is to do this after season but we need the extar time and are starting now to contact candidates. This is not a 'rebuilding process. We need to do something but have good core to turn this around."

Was Keenum being pulled a factor? "Stuttering. Case has up and downs. Penalties were unacceptable and I decided flying back last now to make move."

ThaShark316
McNair "We're looking for a coach who's bright, ethical, innovative and is able to make adjustments."

ouch

Shotssssssssssssssssssssss

steelbtexan
12-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Holy Crap!!

I did NOT think McNair would pull the trigger until the end of the season, if then.

I was wrong folks. But after last night's ridiculousness, it's the right decision.

Never though I would see this post.

msbbc833
12-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Glad to see the organization doing the right thing and be forward-looking. However, I am a saddened for Gary, his health and his overall decline as a HC. Guess I'm a softie

Uncle Rico
It's happening! It's happening!

Then I got terrified when he said keenum will start, like the last 3 games? Next year?

badboy
Do you wish you did it earlier season? "Schaub has one bad game and you don't want to move him but how long before you do? That was a coaching decision but most coaches would have gone with a known commodity (MS) but hindsight is 20/20. Those who have performed in past usually will perform again."

WG9032
Surprised at this... I know most people hate Kubes but he's a great OC IMO... In many ways I don't think this was a 12-4 team the last couple years bc Schaub was never that great.

Listening to Mcnair it almost sounds like yanking Keenum was a big part in this. Almost wonder if they had some kind of agreement to not put Schaub in and Kubes putting him in was a final straw?

Kubes will get a job as OC in about a nanosecond when he's ready.

Edit- Just saw Marcus's post saying the same thing... Hadn't seen yours when I posted mine!

Rey
Yeah...pulling case was definitely an issue for McNair.

steelbtexan
12-06-2013, 12:38 PM

ouch

Could care less about ethical,

Just want to win

Give me the next Belichick.

badboy
12-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Ric Smith on draft "Too soon and we want to focus on this situation".

On candidates like Lovie Smith. McNair "Lovie is good example of those type of coaches not coaching who could be a candidate but we still want to keep process secret to not put active coaches on spot"

The end.

Cjeremy635
12-06-2013, 12:39 PM
McNair said they want someone who is innovative and who can make adjustments. Ouch!!!!!

That was my biggest gripe right there. He stuck with the same game plan, over and over, even when it didn't work. If it worked the 1st half and the OTHER team made adjustements to counter it, we still stuck with it instead of changing to beat their adjustments. Bitter sweat I guess..

TexansBlood
12-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Good riddance.

deucetx
12-06-2013, 12:40 PM

ouch

Then it sounds like he should remove Wade Phillips from his list.

Dread-Head
12-06-2013, 12:41 PM
IF the Texans are smart they'll keep him as offensive Co-ordinator. The man is a HELL of an OC just not a good head coach. My reasoning?

Dick Labeau: GREAT player, GREAT DC...lousy head coach. The Steelers fired him and DC again and went to 4 Superbowls (two of which they won) with him as DC.

Dom Capers: SUCKED as head coach while here. Became the DC of the Packers...now has a Superbowl ring.

Jack DelRio: SUCKED as a head coach and now is the DC in Denver.

Buddy Ryan: As a Head coach is an abusive TYRANT as a DC coached the 85 Bears. Superbowl ring...

Keep Kubiak as OC. If he focuses ENTIRELY on the offense we can win this thing.

Now then. BRING IN BILL COWHER!

CretorFrigg
12-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Just do it. Fire Rick Smith.

bckey
12-06-2013, 12:42 PM
When he marched Schaub out there last night it sealed his fate. I watched players coming off the field with Schaub waiting for some hand slaps and not one player looked happy to even do it. AJ didn't even look at him when he did it. Kubiak's love for Schaub was just at an unhealthy level. He needed to go now. I appreciate Kubiak the man but his coaching in Houston was done.

Mr. Texan
12-06-2013, 12:44 PM
McNair just indicated he wants to talk to Lovie Smith. - Mcclain

PapaL
Lovie Smith, a 4-3 Defense, and Clowney with the first pick.

Vinny
I'd respect McNair more if he said I have a GM and he will make the football decisions. That presser was nutty.

KA4Texan
12-06-2013, 12:45 PM

Same here, I prefer Kubiak. NOT because I think Kubiak is better. At least with Kubiak it was only one horrid season away from being gone. I just dont want to wait another 8 years to have HOPE that we get a real HC.

Wade and Kubiak as men, I like them (what I know about them) neither of them are what I want to lead this team however.

If Wade is just filler, Im okay with it.... if he takes the position fully (as I feared when he took on DC) :toropalm:

Mr. Texan
when are they going to fire marciano?

Scooter
very disappointed, i really hoped that the combination of kubiak and wade would be able to lead us to a championship or at least a consistent winning franchise. i knew that the time had come once it appeared kubiak had lost the locker room though. i could support and defend most anything to keep him, but if you dont have the players on your side it's time to move on.

good luck in the future coach.

HouSportsWriter
12-06-2013, 12:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/1hbLk.gif

Holy $417!

That's freaking awesome!

badboy
12-06-2013, 12:47 PM
I'd respect McNair more if he said I have a GM and he will make the football decisions. That presser was nutty.I think Bob had to do this and I think fans wanted him to.

cameronkrazie86
12-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Obviously I feel bad anytime someone loses a job. With that said, this is a situation where I've been hoping for a change for several seasons. I didn't think he would be able to lead this team over the hump. Nothing personal, just felt someone else may be out there who can do it better and get this team a ring.

Nitrofish
12-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Classless. after so many years of service, and just one year removed from the Franchises best season ever, no reason not to wait until seasons end. No question it was time to move on from Gary, but like this? Classless.

Vinny
I think Bob had to do this and I think fans wanted him to.

act like Jerry Jones? Jones doesn't have a real GM either

Norg
I don't no why rick smith Gets a freee pass he got us into cap Hell and also payed alot of old vet players there so called core players to much money PLuss paying them when they were injured

plus didn't he bring in ed reed without letting wade know

THATS should be fireable offense right there

once we lose out and lose our Free agents and prob go like 5-11 next year its only a matter of time

and bob said we are not rebuilding Pfff plzzzz Bob if u do that it will coe back to bite us in the butt next year quote me on this right now we are looking or at least the next 3 season of medicore

Scooter
I'd respect McNair more if he said I have a GM and he will make the football decisions. That presser was nutty.

maybe i dont watch other teams enough, but i dont think rick smith actually does anything. smith seems like a puppy on a leash the way he follows at mcnair's heel anytime i see him. dude's a yes man and is just a relay for what mcnair wants to do.

Uncle Rico
12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Will be weird not seeing Koobs on the sidelines. Great Houstonian, best of luck to him and his family. I can see him hooking up with Shanny again.

TexansSeminole
12-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Classless. after so many years of service, and just one year removed from the Franchises best season ever, no reason not to wait until seasons end. No question it was time to move on from Gary, but like this? Classless.

I think it was absolutely necessary. Did you watch the game last night? Extremely undisciplined football. The players didn't believe in te coach anymore, it was time.

Vinny
12-06-2013, 12:52 PM
maybe i dont watch other teams enough, but i dont think rick smith actually does anything. smith seems like a puppy on a leash the way he follows at mcnair's heel anytime i see him. dude's a yes man and is just a relay for what mcnair wants to do.
why waste an organizational (an important one at that) position on a yes man? Especially since McNair has a neophyte football mind.

PapaL
Prior to this, the highlight of my day was putting on new windshield wipers. This is great news for us as a franchise.

qqert

Class doesn't win you a superbowl.
You've got to get your hands dirty and do the real work.

Without real work, you get the product you witnessed last night.
Players are not afraid because there is no ac****ability, see Swearinger.

Norg
12-06-2013, 12:53 PM
bob just Murked the JAGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAH the jags forced CHange on us they will never forget this LOL

kinda how like we prob forced change on them in the past

Marcus
12-06-2013, 12:53 PM
The fact that McNair said he's NOT looking at this as a long-term rebuild, says he's happy with Rick Smith. He wouldn't be sitting beside him if he wasn't.

WG9032
12-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Will be weird not seeing Koobs on the sidelines. Great Houstonian, best of luck to him and his family. I can see him hooking up with Shanny again.

Good point. Washington will make some changes for sure even if Shanahan keeps his job. With the unhappiness with the offense up there, and as tough as it would be to do, Shanny might have to fire his son.

Playoffs
12-06-2013, 12:55 PM
I don't no why rick smith Gets a freee pass...

Rich Smith is Cal McNair's son's Godfather... very close to the family.

TexansSeminole
12-06-2013, 12:56 PM

Is this really true? If so, doubt he is fired, maybe ever.

Vinny
bob just Murked the JAGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAH the jags forced CHange on us they will never forget this LOL

kinda how like we prob forced change on them in the past

McNair was very disrespectful to the Jag org. Not very classy

Uncle Rico
As soon as grumpy old man Thorn wakes up from his drunkened stupor he's gonna be happier than a pig in mud!!

hot pickle
12-06-2013, 12:59 PM
I had a feeling this would happen, I think Mcnair likes Case. man I'm so happy todayhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/2fa9b59e2f8fe7b4be2e62436ca21648/tumblr_mj9hpaJkRD1s3dn9bo1_500.gif

Marcus
12-06-2013, 12:59 PM
As soon as grumpy old man Thorn wakes up from his drunkened stupor he's gonna be happier than a pig in mud!!

That will probably last around 5 minutes.

Scooter
12-06-2013, 01:01 PM
why waste an organizational (an important one at that) position on a yes man? Especially since McNair has a neophyte football mind.

if you're suggesting getting rid of smith and bringing in someone who can truly fill the GM position, i agree. smith was brought in as kubiak's yes man. mcnair got someone to follow him around and bounce football thoughts off of, and he became mcnair's yes man, both of them learning the process and agreeing with everything the other says.

i'll echo yours and other's sentiment - the first piece to any rebuild needs to be a GM. he should be the personnel and coaching decision maker.

Surreal McCoy
12-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Just do it. Fire Rick Smith.

This is the most important move this organisation still needs to make. From McNair's soundbytes, it appears Smith was instrumental in protecting his own arse.

chicagotexan2
12-06-2013, 01:02 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO

Rick is going to wait until Bob passes away then he's gonna go after Cal(Carlo) and assume control of the family.

A time to chill
12-06-2013, 01:03 PM
I was never a Kubiak fan, and I have wanted a change in head coach for a while, but the news today is sad. From what I hear Kubiak is a classy guy, so best wishes to him in the future. Hopefully, he'll find another job in the NFL soon.

I do have more respect for Bob McNair. Drastic change needs to happen when your team has gone from Super Bowl bound to 2-11. I just wonder though where the Texans would be today if he had done this back in 2010. However, I do understand that sometimes patience is key to making the best decision. Hopefully, they make the right choice in head coach to make us competitive next year.

From McNair's press conference he pretty much said he's looking for a head coach that's strong on defense with previous head coaching experience. That's Lovie Smith. If they pick him, they better get a good offensive coordinator too.

Vinny
12-06-2013, 01:07 PM
We've lost 14 of the last 17 dating back to Week 14, 2012 when they wore letterman jackets in Foxboro and lost by 28 to the Patriots -Ian Rapoport

Norg
12-06-2013, 01:07 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO

Rick is going to wait until Bob passes away then he's gonna go after Cal(Carlo) and assume control of the family.

godfarther wont mean **** when we go 5-11 or 6-10 next year

thanks bob Lets get rdy for more ass wipping on the Texans next year

Mr. Texan
12-06-2013, 01:09 PM
We've lost 14 of the last 17 dating back to Week 14, 2012 when they wore letterman jackets in Foxboro and lost by 28 to the Patriots -Ian Rapoport

THOSE DAMN LETTERMANS!!! :mad:

cbs1507
12-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Just heard on ESPN that Kubiak said after the game that he was considering starting Schaub for the rest of the games. That man asked to be fired.

:kubepalm:

Happy trails...

cuppacoffee
12-06-2013, 01:11 PM

Wouldn't it have been more classless to interview candidates while Kubiak still held the job?

No need putting it off. Take the time to interview as many candidates as needed.

Not a Lovie Smith fan.

:coffee:

sandmanx
12-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Finally! I guess I can change my pink soap now. I felt like popping a champagne bottle when I heard the announcement.

Playoffs
12-06-2013, 01:14 PM

Might have that a$$-backwards... Cal is Rick's son's Godfather.

Regardless, the point is they're closer than normal.

pamperofirpo
12-06-2013, 01:16 PM

Chuckie or Lovie....sigh.

thunderkyss
12-06-2013, 01:16 PM

That's what I'm hearing this morning.

Personally, I've seen enough of Case to know. He has had plenty of opportunity to show he can be a starter, hasn't played well enough to not take a QB in the top 10 (much less top 5).

We might have a Rivers/Brees situation next season. Case may end up being a starter, but from what I've seen, it makes no sense not to take a QB early in the first & I was a guy rooting to not "need" a QB. But we can't take that chance.

pamperofirpo
12-06-2013, 01:19 PM

Sounds like Chuckie or Lovie...neither of which I'm crazy about.

I'd like the Seahawks OC: Bevell. He's done a great job with their offense, and with Russell Wilson specifically.

Bulls on Parade
12-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Marciano next
He should have been fired three years ago.

Playoffs
12-06-2013, 01:20 PM
...Hmm wonder if this says Bob upset Schaub came in.

Absolutely. Gary supposedly was considering Schaub again. McNair was pizzed to see Schaub in J-Ville.

Emphasis given when McNair announced Keenum as the starting QB for the rest of the season instead if Rick. Gary left the building mad.

Porky
12-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Half measures won't work. I wish Kubes well, but even McNair said it - his goal was to keep Kubes until he retired. I have a feeling he feels the same way about Rick Smith. And there is the problem. Pulling a weed out of your lawn doesn't work if you don't get the root. It just grows back. If the tree is poisoned you can pull fruit off it all day long, but the next year the fruit will still be poisoned because the tree itself is poisoned.

RS is nothing but a yes man for McNair. It's like Weekend at Bernie's or something. Why do I see McNair's mouth moving every time Rick's does? Bob throws his voice very well. The only thing missing are the marionette strings. McNair doesn't want a strong GM, he wants someone just as Milquetoast as he is.

Will a Billick or Cowher, or Gruden want to come into this situation? Highly doubtful.

Lovie Smith? Maybe so ya. I see him on a similar plane as Kubiak. It might help to a small extent to have Lovie, but I just see him as the defensive version of Kubes. I would be ok with it I guess, but I certainly am not doing jumping jacks over Lovie Smith. What has he accomplished?

Bulls on Parade
12-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Sounds like Chuckie or Lovie...neither of which I'm crazy about.

I'd like the Seahawks OC: Bevell. He's done a great job with their offense, and with Russell Wilson specifically.
Maybe it's just me but the Seahawks offense, specifically Russell Wilson, looked horrible when they came to Reliant Stadium. But I believe that was his worst game of the season passing wise. The Seahawks were lucky to win that game. He won that game with his legs more than his arm.

mussop
12-06-2013, 01:22 PM
He should have been fired three years ago.

This whole group should of been.

thunderkyss
12-06-2013, 01:24 PM
RICK SMITH NEXT PLZZZZ BOB :koolaid:

O HAPPY DAYS O HAPPY DAYS !!!!!!!!!!!

Wade Phillips should be next. Wade should've been first. If it weren't for his daddy dying, & what his daddy meant to the City of Houston, I'd have fired him a long time ago.

Promoted Kollar. Would love to promote Herring but I don't know what his loyalties or aspirations are. He may be fine "knowing" he'll have a job with Wade where ever Wade goes.

Vance Joseph would be walking a thin line.

Thorn
12-06-2013, 01:27 PM
as soon as grumpy old man thorn wakes up from his drunkened stupor he's gonna be happier than a pig in mud!!

it's bacon time!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol

BullNation4Life
12-06-2013, 01:27 PM
DING DONG THAT BASTICH IS GONE!!!!!!

My Christmas came early! BRING ON CHUCKY!!!!

hookinreds
12-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Maybe it's just me but the Seahawks offense, specifically Russell Wilson, looked horrible when they came to Reliant Stadium. But I believe that was his worst game of the season passing wise. The Seahawks were lucky to win that game. He won that game with his legs more than his arm.

The Seahawks have a worse O Line than ours. Thier QB is just a bad ass is succsessfull despite his O Lines efforts.

speedfreek
12-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Case was an issue, but we don't run the type of offense that
he is best suited for (NE, NO, GB, spread and hurry up..)

McNair probably just wants more of Keenum on tape for the
next guy to look at.

If we get someone who wants to sling the ball, then he might
be allowed to compete next year.

I'm guessing the Texans hire someone like Mike Sherman who
wants to run the same old tired west coast (obsolete) system

TJ

hookinreds
12-06-2013, 01:37 PM

next guy to look at.

TJ

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I think if Keenum is put in a scheme that reflects his abilties, he will be successful. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the Texans are looking for a HC that will utilize what Keenum can bring to the table if you put him in the right scheme...oh and give him an NFL caliber right side of the line. If they get a D minded HC, then that HC will an understanding that his OC better make Keenum successful. Texans will not take a QB with the first pick. ===== to clarify, I don't think Keenum is a stud back there, but I think he is servicable enough that with the right scheme, he could be successful enough that we could focus our draft efforts elseware this year. Fix the right side of the line first and foremost and you can make an average QB look good. HC doesn't need to want to keep Keenum long term.

handswarmer
12-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Re: Houston Texans @ Jacksonville Jaguars. 12/5. 7:25. NFLN. **Official Game Thread**
If ****ing Kubiak still has a ****ing job on ****ing Monday this ****ing team can kiss my ****ing ass.

Someone called it last night.....

RCPM
12-06-2013, 01:46 PM
3 years too late.

HoustonFrog
12-06-2013, 01:47 PM
I don't think the quote about NFL coaching experience means that it had to be HC in the NFL. O'Brien is a HC and has NFL experience...just not NFL HC experience. So a great college HC with [past NFL ties would probably work if they interviewed well.

Victor B
12-06-2013, 01:59 PM
It's tough to go out and draft a QB in the 1st when you have so many holes to fill. We all saw it last night. Keenum has 7 starts. The offseason will do him wonders. Pick up a QB in the 4th or 5th and let them battle. IMO, there isn't a franchise QB to be had this year. Bridgewater is not it.

Besides...Keenum is playing for pennies. I think McNair likes that. Go and get a solid foundation and see if Keenum grows next year with the new HC. If not then 2015 will have some good QB's.

MEGA SWATT
12-06-2013, 02:03 PM

LOL

Wow. Mr. Kubiak, thanks for your efforts here. I wish you peace and good health and go enjoy your family and time away from the NFL.

Mr. McNair - thanks for making the hard decisions that will help our team get back on track and be relevant. Not just in the first round of the playoffs. I look forward to beating the good teams on the road and in prime time Natl broadcasts and making a deep playoff run.........hopefully next year.

I hope we get a great coach with NFL experience - winning records/Superbowl win etc! Would like our QB issue resolved too.

Porky
12-06-2013, 02:04 PM
It's tough to go out and draft a QB in the 1st when you have so many holes to fill. We all saw it last night. Keenum has 7 starts. The offseason will do him wonders. Pick up a QB in the 4th or 5th and let them battle. IMO, there isn't a franchise QB to be had this year. Bridgewater is not it.

Besides...Keenum is playing for pennies. I think McNair likes that. Go and get a solid foundation and see if Keenum grows next year with the new HC. If not then 2015 will have some good QB's.

Assuming we keep the #1 position, this is the crux of not only the offseason, but this is as big a decision this franchise has made since 2006 for sure. I would go QB, but your position is certainly defensible.

eriadoc
12-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Sorry to see a good man lose his job, but thankful that this era of Texans football can now end. Please send Rick Smith out the door as well.

Good luck to Kubiak in the future. Like him, wanted him to succeed, and hope he rebounds nicely.

Victor B
12-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Assuming we keep the #1 position, this is the crux of not only the offseason, but this is as big a decision this franchise has made since 2006 for sure. I would go QB, but your position is certainly defensible.

I hear ya. The #1 pick is a tough position for any team. I don't see QB worthy of a #1 pick this year. If we do have the #1 I'd go Clowney or Matthews. If they don't want to go in that direction then trade it down and pick up extra picks. God knows we need as many as we can get.

Mr teX
12-06-2013, 02:13 PM
I don't think the quote about NFL coaching experience means that it had to be HC in the NFL. O'Brien is a HC and has NFL experience...just not NFL HC experience. So a great college HC with [past NFL ties would probably work if they interviewed well.

Enter Bill O'brien.

Brisco_County
12-06-2013, 02:14 PM

next guy to look at.

TJ

Exactly. Kubiak wasn't cooperating with the evaluation of Keenum, and intended to start Schaub the rest of the season.

If Keenum can be a starter, it does it lot for the salary cap and fixing the line. Smith needs to know what he has in Keenum

infantrycak
12-06-2013, 02:16 PM

That is the way I took it as well.

On Rick Smith. The fact he was brought in subordinate to Kubiak does not mean that dynamic will continue. McNair may change that paradigm and have a more powerful GM. You don't have to change GM to do that, the owner just has to enact it. Now a lot of the retreads people are rooting for will probably demand to have Kubiak like control so if that has been a big complaint for you then it should be a strike against them as candidates.

Marcus
12-06-2013, 02:19 PM
That's what I'm hearing this morning.

Personally, I've seen enough of Case to know. He has had plenty of opportunity to show he can be a starter, hasn't played well enough to not take a QB in the top 10 (much less top 5).

We might have a Rivers/Brees situation next season. Case may end up being a starter, but from what I've seen, it makes no sense not to take a QB early in the first & I was a guy rooting to not "need" a QB. But we can't take that chance.

I agree with that somewhat. But if we take a quarterback high in the draft, Case will NEVER be given the time to develop, and he will NEVER be given the chance to be the Texans starting QB.

I don't think you can fairly judge if Case has what it takes, based upon his performance for the rest of THIS season. He will need another set of OTAs, and another full training camp to be evaluated fairly and be given a fair chance to start.

But he will NEVER be given that fair chance if they take a QB high in the draft. It will be the high dollar draft pick vs. the undrafted free agent. And we all know how that ball rolls.

This is the way it will go down. They will draft the next QB bust, and Keenum will go somewhere else and become the next Drew Brees.

And that would really SUCK. But is already something I'm afraid of.

Brisco_County
12-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Also, something interesting: Notice how Peter King got the scoop on this story? He's pretty tight with Rick Smith. He did a rather lengthy and glowing interview with Smith last season allowing Smith to pitch his Jack Welch philosophy. When King got feedback that some readers interpreted Smith as being too cold and unfeeling towards players, King dedicated some more column space to reveal how personable Smith was when releasing DeMeco. The relationship between King and Smith is something to take into account when reading anything King writes about the Texans.

TheMatrix31
12-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Didn't I tell everyone to calm the **** down with this "my fear is that we win a couple games and Gary gets extended." ****?

No. That's not how it works.

He had to go. It was time. I loved him for a while and loved how the players respected him overall, but it was time. I have to thank him for getting us out of the Capers/Casserly years and putting on some entertaining football with a couple of playoff appearances.

Whatever happens, I want the offense to be very versatile and balanced. I love the rollouts and the fundamental philosophies behind what we have now. Would love to get more creative though. I'm not too crazy about Dennison and thought Baby Shanahan was much better at OC.

I want a guy who will teach the team to play hard but not stupid or dirty. We've been penalized way, way, way too much and frankly I've seen a lot of thuggery on this team on the field in recent years perhaps to overcompensate for our reputation as "being soft." I don't like that. You can play tough without being dumb or dirty. See JJ Watt.

We also need game management. The biggest knock on Kubiak I have over the time he was with Houston was that his game management overall was terrible. Clock stupidity, dumb challenges, and a lot of other stuff that just plain didn't make sense at all. That HAS to be shored up with the new coach.

Also, I assume a new coach means we'll have an entire new staff. Wade has been disappointing this year (as is basically tradition for defenses under his leadership----one or two really good years then tailing off). Also, perhaps most unsung is the fact that we need to get rid of Joe Marciano, our special teams coach who has been an unmitigated disaster for years now and has inexplicably held onto his job. Oh yeah, our strength and conditioning staff too. Has to go. Too many damn injuries. Enough. If the new coach can help build depth to mask injuries, that'd be great. That "Next Man Up" crap utopian fantasy only takes you so far though.

I also don't want some college gimmick guy. You strike out on that and it's a waste of time and we'll go from simply having one down year to being in spiral mode where we're forced to truly rebuild.

I don't want Gruden. Overrated and overdiscussed. I'd like Cowher but his offensive creativity is not very prevalent.

I simply don't know who'll be available and I don't know much about coaching staffs around the league to see which coordinators we might pluck.

Get it right, get some talent at the top of the draft (or trade down, my preference), and get back to contention.

houstonhurricane
12-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks, Kubes - I was never a fan but you did some very positive things for this franchise.

Pretty disappointed that they are keeping Rick Smith but I think we all knew that really wasn't in play...yet.

I like Shaw and O'Brien from the college ranks - not big on Lovie Smith.

WolverineFan
12-06-2013, 03:07 PM

Haven't we been saying that for 5 years now?

LonerATO
12-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Marciano was let go as well.

michaelm
12-06-2013, 03:24 PM

I'm not sure the better option is to keep Kubiak around when it's obvious he's a lame duck, and even more obvious he has lost the team. In general, I don't agree with firing a HC during the season, but in this case, I think it was the correct thing to do.

srrono
12-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Kubiak a step above previous head coach a step below our expectations. Kubiak seams to be a good man so I wish him the best in the future. I would like to thank him for all his hard work while here as our HC.

mussop
12-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Haven't we been saying that for 5 years now?

Hell yeh!!!

Pollardized
12-06-2013, 03:54 PM
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/Pollardized/IMG950365_resized_1.jpg

Marcus
12-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Mike Shanahan just called Kubiak and said, "Hey Gary! Remember me? How'd you like to become my offensive coordinator again, and see what you can do with RG3?"

Book it. That's gonna happen. :D

TheIronDuke
12-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Mike Shanahan just called Kubiak and said, "Hey Gary! Remember me? How'd you like to become my offensive coordinator again, and see what you can do with RG3?"

Book it. That's gonna happen. :D

"Let me just talk to my wife about how to best fire my son and we'll get you out here."

Showtime100
12-06-2013, 04:23 PM
I give the odds, or in this case percentage, of a 5% chance we hear Kubes is gone by lunchtime tomorrow.

That's low, but up from 0% chance an hour an a half ago.

From the gamethread. Not exactly Nostradamus, but watching last night was just too much. Still though, at the time I was still thinking we were stuck with Kubes indefinitely.

Thanks, Gary, for all your hard work. Your heart was in the right place. Best of luck and good health to you and yours.

Now, pass that bottle of Champagne this way. :party: :texflag: :party:

chicagotexan2
12-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Sorry if I missed it in the thread but why wasn't Kubiak at th presser? When capers was fired he was allowed to answer questions and make a final statement. Did Kubiak choose to skip the presser?

Lurvinator11
12-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Sorry if I missed it in the thread but why wasn't Kubiak at th presser? When capers was fired he was allowed to answer questions and make a final statement. Did Kubiak choose to skip the presser?

That's the rumor. He told his coaches he was gone, and then he left.

WolverineFan
12-06-2013, 04:37 PM

As far as I know, Gary met with Bob and was told he would be fired. Gary then met with the coaches to personally give the news. He then went home.

I honestly have no issue with it. The guy has had a rough year and if he doesn't want to talk to the media an hour after getting fired I'm completely fine with it.

Uncle Rico
12-06-2013, 04:44 PM
From the gamethread. Not exactly Nostradamus, but watching last night was just too much. Still though, at the time I was still thinking we were stuck with Kubes indefinitely.

Thanks, Gary, for all your hard work. Your heart was in the right place. Best of luck and good health to you and yours.

Now, pass that bottle of Champagne this way. :party: :texflag: :party:

:clap:

Dude its been awhile since champagne flowed , its been everclear and 151 for 11 weeks now! Lol

chicagotexan2
12-06-2013, 05:23 PM
As far as I know, Gary met with Bob and was told he would be fired. Gary then met with the coaches to personally give the news. He then went home.

I honestly have no issue with it. The guy has had a rough year and if he doesn't want to talk to the media an hour after getting fired I'm completely fine with it.

Yeah I guess you're right. Considering his health I'm sure this was stressful for him and his family. I wish him all the best.

acal21
12-06-2013, 06:12 PM
A good man just lost his job and you are making jokes.

He made more money in Houston than you will make in your life

Rey
12-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Kubiak finished his career here having never win a game in Indy.

Sad.

DX-TEX
12-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Kubiak finished his career here having never win a game in Indy.

Sad.

Neither did Dom Capers.

/rimshot

Marcus
12-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Neither did Dom Capers.

/rimshot

We'll win the Super Bowl before we ever win at Indy.:mcnugget:

drs23
12-06-2013, 06:44 PM

I think Wade's just a "courtesy candidate". At least I hope so. No Wade for HC!

steelbtexan
12-06-2013, 06:46 PM
McNair just indicated he wants to talk to Lovie Smith. - Mcclain

Joy

Just cant wait for the next 5 yrs of Rick/Lovie. Ask Bears fans how they think about Lovie, BoB before you listen to Rick

Rick/Lovie/Teddy=Championship

Hopefully this means Clowney at 1-1.

tvaughan
12-06-2013, 06:47 PM

I think this is true. No point in declaring no way he gets the HC job if he he's your interim.

Showtime100
12-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Folks, McNair is going to talk to candidates over the next month or so. I wouldn't get too worried nor excited no matter who he talks to at this point.

beerlover
12-06-2013, 06:50 PM
My heat goes out to Kubes & his family. Thank you!

From this point forward let's don't get attached to the person but his ability to win this city & Bob McNair an NFL Championship :trophy:

drs23
12-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Could care less about ethical,

Just want to win

Give me the next Belichick.

OK Mr. Crystal Ballsbtexan, who the hell is that. I'm saying David Shaw. Your opinion? (seriously)

Hervoyel
12-06-2013, 07:18 PM
IF the Texans are smart they'll keep him as offensive Co-ordinator. The man is a HELL of an OC just not a good head coach. My reasoning?

Dick Labeau: GREAT player, GREAT DC...lousy head coach. The Steelers fired him and DC again and went to 4 Superbowls (two of which they won) with him as DC.

Dom Capers: SUCKED as head coach while here. Became the DC of the Packers...now has a Superbowl ring.

Jack DelRio: SUCKED as a head coach and now is the DC in Denver.

Buddy Ryan: As a Head coach is an abusive TYRANT as a DC coached the 85 Bears. Superbowl ring...

Keep Kubiak as OC. If he focuses ENTIRELY on the offense we can win this thing.

Now then. BRING IN BILL COWHER!

Can you name a single instance of this ever happening in the NFL? Can anyone? I don't think it has ever been done and I don't think it ever will be done.

I wish people would quit suggesting this. It is pretty much impossible.

Lucky
12-06-2013, 07:35 PM
I can see him hooking up with Shanny again.
I can see them both looking for jobs.
I'm disturbed by Rick Smith not feeling any heat. Talk about Teflon Man. But, I'm still hopeful the Texans can bring in the right man to lead this organization.

Because that's what has been missing from the start. Leadership. I want someone who will lookup from his call sheet and watch the plays. I want someone who is respected, and yes, feared by his players. I want someone that other good coaches want to work with.

You know a leader when you see one. I never saw Kubiak as that guy.

TejasTom
12-06-2013, 07:44 PM
....Thanks, Gary, for all your hard work. *Your heart was in the right place. *Best of luck and good health to you and family...

I think I have a bit of Stockholm Syndrome for Kubiak.

Statement From Gary Kubiak (http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/12/06/statement-from-gary-kubiak/)

I want to thank Bob McNair and his family for giving me my first head coaching opportunity in the National Football League. Bob has treated me with the utmost class and respect throughout my career with the Texans. I am appreciative of him for bringing me back to Houston to coach my hometown team.

I want thank the players and coaches for all the work they have put in during my years with the Texans. Though we came up short this season, the work, effort and sacrifice they gave me and this organization over the last eight seasons is not to be taken for granted. I want to wish them all the best.

I want to thank the people in the organization for their support over all the years. We could not have achieved our goals without their tireless work and commitment to our team.

Lastly, my family and I want to thank the city of Houston for their support of the football team and our family. We had a great run here and we will never forget our back-to-back AFC South Championships. Coming back home was a dream come true for all of us. This will always be our home. Thank you.

Seegara
12-06-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm hoping against hope that Wade is only interim. That's ok; he won't interfere with the process of losing out.

We have already seen enough to know Case will be a good backup but not a starter. But if trying to evaluate him causes us to win enough games to lose 1st overall pick, we can no longer get a top QB to replace him and Schaub.

Tolar's Ghost
12-06-2013, 09:07 PM
...Pick up a QB in the 4th or 5th and let them battle...

I like Keenum a lot. But I'm not sold on him as a game-in, game-out starter.

So waiting until the fourth of fifth round to draft a QB is way too late. If not in Round 1, then in 2. Definitely no later than 3.

Texecutioner
12-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Personally I hope that Gary was thrown out the door head first. All he ever did was make this team an embarrassment and he set this franchise back 8 to 10 years now. He always put his personal relationships over this team's success and refused to ever hold accountability. He doesn't deserve another coaching job other than maybe at a small school in college. The only reason why he ever made the playoffs in Houston was because McNair forced Wade on him where the defense was turned around over night while Gary refused to fire Smith before that. He thought he could win with Carr as well. One of the worst offensive minds I've ever watched as a fan from his stubborn nature to stick to one system and to be completely gutless to deviate away from it. Good riddance Gary. You should have been fired 3 or 4 years ago.

Steal Your Face
12-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Joy

Just cant wait for the next 5 yrs of Rick/Lovie. Ask Bears fans how they think about Lovie, BoB before you listen to Rick

Rick/Lovie/Teddy=Championship

Hopefully this means Clowney at 1-1.

Not sure where you get your info ... I know several Bears fans that think fairly highly of Lovie.

LonerATO
12-06-2013, 10:29 PM
I think I have a bit of Stockholm Syndrome for Kubiak.

Statement From Gary Kubiak (http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/12/06/statement-from-gary-kubiak/)

Look for a classy act by Kubiak on Sunday.

SAMURAITEXAN
12-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Hope, the next Texans' HC can lead this team to SB. I am not getting younger and would like to see Texans win SB in my life time.

ajohnson80
12-06-2013, 11:00 PM
I've been waiting for this day for about 4 seasons now. Glad we can move forward out of the kubiak era. I hope he can get his health in order and appreciate the baby steps he took us forward but now is time for a real coach and im anxious to see who we get.

Steal Your Face
12-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Personally I hope that Gary was thrown out the door head first. All he ever did was make this team an embarrassment and he set this franchise back 8 to 10 years now. He always put his personal relationships over this team's success and refused to ever hold accountability. He doesn't deserve another coaching job other than maybe at a small school in college. The only reason why he ever made the playoffs in Houston was because McNair forced Wade on him where the defense was turned around over night while Gary refused to fire Smith before that. He thought he could win with Carr as well. One of the worst offensive minds I've ever watched as a fan from his stubborn nature to stick to one system and to be completely gutless to deviate away from it. Good riddance Gary. You should have been fired 3 or 4 years ago.

:sleep:

TexansFight
12-06-2013, 11:56 PM

You took the words out of my mouth. Great post and pos rep given.

Brisco_County
12-07-2013, 12:25 AM
I'm kind of bummed. I liked Kubiak, and his system was sound when the right talent could execute it. Kubiak had me rooting to win his way with his system. When everything was in synch, the team had a true identity.

But his fatal flaw was his stubborness. Stubborness in his personnel decisions, stubborness in his loyalties, stubborness in his refusal to adjust his system or strategy, and -- as we saw in his final game -- his stubborness in fielding Matt Schaub. Gary would have finished the season with a dignified exit, but his resistance to the FO's wishes to continue evaluating Keenum exhausted McNair's good graces.

I think that a flexible, shrewd, and ambitious Kubiak would have won a Superbowl. But a stubborn, idealistic, and loyal Kubiak is best suited for a career as a coordinator.

Texecutioner
12-07-2013, 06:21 AM
:sleep:

Maybe you should follow him wherever he goes and enjoy his failures some more.

htownfan32
12-07-2013, 06:54 AM
Maybe you should follow him wherever he goes and enjoy his failures some more.

Did you really develop that intense of a personal hatred for Kubiak? Yeesh.

Texecutioner
12-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Did you really develop that intense of a personal hatred for Kubiak? Yeesh.

The man was paid Millions of dollars to put this team first and he never did. Yes, I hated him as a HC. Not sure who he is as a person, nor do I care either. He was unprofessional for years though and about as arrogant as any coach I've ever seen when it came to his philosophy of a system.. He was just quiet about it. He is right there with Jerry Glanville as far as I'm concerned. Hearing all of these homers in Houston make attempts to rave about his alleged offensive genius that was never existent or proven definitely made it worse though. People completely bought into him from the jump and anointed him as some guru over and over even after he made their faith in him look foolish. He has no business coaching on any NFL team.

dalemurphy
12-07-2013, 07:55 AM
The man was paid Millions of dollars to put this team first and he never did. Yes, I hated him as a HC. Not sure who he is as a person, nor do I care either. He was unprofessional for years though and about as arrogant as any coach I've ever seen when it came to his philosophy of a system.. He was just quiet about it. He is right there with Jerry Glanville as far as I'm concerned. Hearing all of these homers in Houston make attempts to rave about his alleged offensive genius that was never existent or proven definitely made it worse though. People completely bought into him from the jump and anointed him as some guru over and over even after he made their faith in him look foolish. He has no business coaching on any NFL team.

Wow! "arrogant" and "unprofessional"?... but "don't care who he is as a person"?

I guess you don't. You decided to turn him into a two dimensional antagonist.

By the way, I don't think anyone has expressed worry/concern about his financial situation. He is wealthy- I doubt he wants pity nor do I think he will be standing in line moaning about the economy while he collects his unemployment check. Being wealthy does not make a person less human or shied one from life... If the world is full of people who only extend compassion to those people with less money than they, it is going to be an ugly place!

Lucky
12-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Wow! "arrogant" and "unprofessional"?... but "don't care who he is as a person"?
Dale, this is the time for people like Texecutioner to rejoice. Just like the Sunshine Club got to after McNair kept Kubiak after 2010. Let it pass.

I would describe Kubiak more as dis-attached. I don't think he ever connected with the average fan. Staring at the menu on the sidelines, mumbling at the press conferences, boring during interviews. "But what about Beilichick?" Well, Belichick wins. If Belichick had Kubiak's record, Pats fans would have turned on him long ago.

Jerry Glanville said it best. The NFL stands for Not For Long. You can't keep your job for long when you put out a product this bad.

CloakNNNdagger
12-07-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm kind of bummed. I liked Kubiak, and his system was sound when the right talent could execute it. Kubiak had me rooting to win his way with his system. When everything was in synch, the team had a true identity.

But his fatal flaw was his stubborness. Stubborness in his personnel decisions, stubborness in his loyalties, stubborness in his refusal to adjust his system or strategy, and -- as we saw in his final game -- his stubborness in fielding Matt Schaub. Gary would have finished the season with a dignified exit, but his resistance to the FO's wishes to continue evaluating Keenum exhausted McNair's good graces.

I think that a flexible, shrewd, and ambitious Kubiak would have won a Superbowl. But a stubborn, idealistic, and loyal Kubiak is best suited for a career as a coordinator.

Most people will focus these comments as relates to his QBs. However, his inflexible attitude was pervasive to how the team was run, and had major negative effects on all facets of the Texans' game.

Heath Shuler
12-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Can you name a single instance of this ever happening in the NFL? Can anyone?

Dave Campo

Heath Shuler
12-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks Coach Kubiak.

Now don't f this up McNair. You made starting Carr a requirement for Capers replacement and now you're determining who the starting quarterback is going to be the remainder of the season.

ChampionTexan
12-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Dave Campo

Several years passed between Campo's gig as HC of the boys and coming back as DC. He actually worked for both the Browns and the Jags in between.

Gunther Cunningham did the same thing with the Chiefs.

I think there's a huge difference between these two situations and what was suggested about bringing Kubes back to be OC next season (which is an absolute horrible idea btw).

Heath Shuler
12-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Several years passed between Campo's gig as HC of the boys and coming back as DC. He actually worked for both the Browns and the Jags in between.

I think there's a huge difference between these two situations and what was suggested about bringing Kubes back to be OC next season (which is an absolute horrible idea btw).

I think Kubiak coaching for the Texans has zero possibility of happening. I was just giving an example of a fired coach returning to coach a franchise in a lesser position (Campos was not even the DC).

thunderkyss
12-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Sorry to see a good man lose his job, but thankful that this era of Texans football can now end.

Agreed. I appreciate everything Kubiak has done for this organization & I firmly believe the improvements reach beyond the field. We're in a much better position now, much closer to becoming the team we want, than we were when he got here.

That said, it's a fork in the road. No guarantee which way this thing will go. It could be Cowher, it could be Shaw & we can go the way of the Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars just as easily as the way of Greenbay or New England.

Exascor
12-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Personally I hope that Gary was thrown out the door head first. All he ever did was make this team an embarrassment and he set this franchise back 8 to 10 years now. He always put his personal relationships over this team's success and refused to ever hold accountability. He doesn't deserve another coaching job other than maybe at a small school in college. The only reason why he ever made the playoffs in Houston was because McNair forced Wade on him where the defense was turned around over night while Gary refused to fire Smith before that. He thought he could win with Carr as well. One of the worst offensive minds I've ever watched as a fan from his stubborn nature to stick to one system and to be completely gutless to deviate away from it. Good riddance Gary. You should have been fired 3 or 4 years ago.Not sure why I'm responding this this crap but I guess I'm a little bored.

This team under Kubiak wasn't an embarrassment until the end of last season through this season. Kubiak turned this team from dysfunctional to an NFL team in 1 season. 2010 was extremely disappointing and I was ready to move on from Kubiak but it's not like we were the worst team in the league bad. The team was considered nationally to be the BEST TEAM IN THE NFL for extended periods. How is that embarrassing?

McNair forcing Kubiak to hire Phillips is rumor - not fact. I actually believe it though and agree with you that Phillips turning our defense into an NFL caliber unit was the difference between 8 wins and 12 wins. Doesn't mean you get to discount Kubiak like he didn't do anything right in 2011 & 2012.

David Carr? Please. If you believe that McNair forced Phillips on Kubiak than you have to believe that Carr was forced on him as well. Kubiak wouldn't have had a clue about Carr's work ethics until he was hired. He gave Carr a season and booted him. That's one thing that Kubiak should be applauded for.

Kubiak's system was fairly rigid and he believed in it totally. I understand people that didn't like the style (slow, plodding, clock running...) or the lack of Manning style audibles. Can't disagree with you there.

Kubiak's time is over. He had plenty of reasons to be fired. He's gone so I don't need to go over them again. Winning the division and a playoff game twice without an elite QB & creating an NFL culture from the crap he started with won't be included in those. You act like he's the worst coach in NFL history. He was an average head coach. He did the Texans good - he just didn't do good enough. Time to move on.

Pantherstang84
12-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Not sure why I'm responding this this crap but I guess I'm a little bored.

This team under Kubiak wasn't an embarrassment until the end of last season through this season. Kubiak turned this team from dysfunctional to an NFL team in 1 season. 2010 was extremely disappointing and I was ready to move on from Kubiak but it's not like we were the worst team in the league bad. The team was considered nationally to be the BEST TEAM IN THE NFL for extended periods. How is that embarrassing?

McNair forcing Kubiak to hire Phillips is rumor - not fact. I actually believe it though and agree with you that Phillips turning our defense into an NFL caliber unit was the difference between 8 wins and 12 wins. Doesn't mean you get to discount Kubiak like he didn't do anything right in 2011 & 2012.

David Carr? Please. If you believe that McNair forced Phillips on Kubiak than you have to believe that Carr was forced on him as well. Kubiak wouldn't have had a clue about Carr's work ethics until he was hired. He gave Carr a season and booted him. That's one thing that Kubiak should be applauded for.

Kubiak's system was fairly rigid and he believed in it totally. I understand people that didn't like the style (slow, plodding, clock running...) or the lack of Manning style audibles. Can't disagree with you there.

Kubiak's time is over. He had plenty of reasons to be fired. He's gone so I don't need to go over them again. Winning the division and a playoff game twice without an elite QB & creating an NFL culture from the crap he started with won't be included in those. You act like he's the worst coach in NFL history. He was an average head coach. He did the Texans good - he just didn't do good enough. Time to move on.

I had to get off Tapatalk and login to the web site just so I can rep this post. There seems to be a lot of selective memory and revisionist pontificating going on here. There is no question this franchise is leaps and bounds better than when Kubiak and Smith got here. The train derailed and Kubiak couldn't figure out how to get it back on track. That doesn't make him an embarrassment, just inept. I personally wish the man and his family no ill will. For crying out loud, the man sacrificed his own health for this franchise. I just wish him luck in whatever his future holds. I don't think anyone felt any worse than him how things turned out. If. I ever met him on the street I would shake his hand and offer to buy him a beer. The posters here wishing him harm and embarrassment are too emotionally immature. I suggest they volunteer for a day at the children's wing of M.D. Anderson. That's a sobering experience that put this game in a proper frame of reference for life.

drs23
12-07-2013, 12:02 PM
I agree with that somewhat. But if we take a quarterback high in the draft, Case will NEVER be given the time to develop, and he will NEVER be given the chance to be the Texans starting QB.

I don't think you can fairly judge if Case has what it takes, based upon his performance for the rest of THIS season. He will need another set of OTAs, and another full training camp to be evaluated fairly and be given a fair chance to start.

But he will NEVER be given that fair chance if they take a QB high in the draft. It will be the high dollar draft pick vs. the undrafted free agent. And we all know how that ball rolls.

This is the way it will go down. They will draft the next QB bust, and Keenum will go somewhere else and become the next Drew Brees.

And that would really SUCK. But is already something I'm afraid of.

Ditto. This is the exact scenario I see coming. I still fear that Wade's going to end up wearing the headset on Sundays. I fear that Bob made a pact with Bum that when he flushed Gary that Wade would get the job and we all know how honorable McNair is. I so much hope I'm wrong but this has been a lingering fear I've had since he was hired three years ago.

Wade needs to be flushed as well. His D sux.

Please make me wrong Bob, pretty please?:heart:

Txn_in_Oki
12-07-2013, 12:03 PM

I started reading this thread a bit late but I stopped at your post. Classless? What's classless about it? This franchise has turned into a joke in this league and you want to talk about class?

It sucks that a guy had to lose his job, but guess what, this thing is a business. If you can't get it done you need to hit the road. Why is it that some poor schmuck in sales can get fired for not producing for 2 months but an NFL coach can crap the bed for years on end and can make millions?

Classless? Take a look around and see what's up man. You don't make your way in life by being a nice guy. Sometimes you have to slash and burn to make things happen.

I appreciate what Kubes did for this franchise, but his time has gone and it's time to move on to the next guy.

Uncle Rico
12-07-2013, 12:57 PM
No offense to either side (hate him) (like him) Kubiak is a mediocre head coach. Simple as that, could even say he was a losing coach because thanks to this losing streak it pushed his record below .500

He inherited a 2-14 team and he most likely will leave behind a 2-14 team.

His offensive system when run properly under ideal circumstances is a tried and true set of plays. That is without question and the numbers bear that out, but too many football games come down to critical, split second decisions and he just didnt have the knack for it as the head coach.

He'll keep coaching, and his offensive teams will continue to be top 10, will he get another shot as the top dog? Will he ever win again without having a HOF QB?

Brisco_County
12-07-2013, 01:35 PM

I think the clock burning aspect of the system was a double edged sword. If you weren't scoring in the red zone, then you were burning away too much opportunity. And red zone scoring is more difficult for the smaller linemen of a ZBS against a compressed defense.

Well said.

Brisco_County
12-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Klein Kubiak @Klein_Kubiak_84

Tough times don't last....tough people do!

Hervoyel
12-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Dave Campo

Very close Heath but as ChampionTexan said I don't think any head coach has ever stepped down from the top and taken over as an OC, DC, or position coach. Time has to go by and even then it's very uncommon.

DocBar
12-07-2013, 05:13 PM
No offense to either side (hate him) (like him) Kubiak is a mediocre head coach. Simple as that, could even say he was a losing coach because thanks to this losing streak it pushed his record below .500

He inherited a 2-14 team and he most likely will leave behind a 2-14 team.

His offensive system when run properly under ideal circumstances is a tried and true set of plays. That is without question and the numbers bear that out, but too many football games come down to critical, split second decisions and he just didnt have the knack for it as the head coach.

He'll keep coaching, and his offensive teams will continue to be top 10, will he get another shot as the top dog? Will he ever win again without having a HOF QB?I disagree with the bolded. IMO, defenses have figured out
that the way to beat Kubiak's offense is just to play disciplined football. Stay at home and take care of your responsibilities. That makes the "is it a run or a pass" question mostly moot. It didn't help that Schaub and Kubiak were as predictable as the sun rising in the East.
I think the clock burning aspect of the system was a double edged sword. If you weren't scoring in the red zone, then you were burning away too much opportunity. And red zone scoring is more difficult for the smaller linemen of a ZBS against a compressed defense.
I see Kubiak's play calling as the limiting factor in the RZ not the ZBS or the size of the OL. I also think it was a vicious cycle with Kubiak and Schaub. Both limited each other but were too joined at the hip to make the changes that were needed. I put that on the coach much more so than the player. McNair seems to agree with some of his comments during the ppress conference.

Maddict5
12-07-2013, 07:40 PM
sad to see kubes going eventhough I realise its time for somebody fresh to come in. I always liked him. he seemed like a good person who treated people fairly and came across as real. I know some ppl say he was too reserved and displayed a lack of leadership but I for one have a lot more time for coaches who act like men and treat their players as men than the rah rah coaches, who just come across as fake

DexmanC
12-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Mcnair, in the press conference, mentioned something about "a coach can't think too much like a player. The goals of the player may not be the same as the goals of the organization, and a coach has to know the difference."

This was after Mcnair was asked if Kubiak benching Case for Schaub AGAIN played a factor in Mcnair deciding to fire Kubiak.

Showtime100
12-07-2013, 10:20 PM
A facebook post from JJ Watt about three hours ago.....

Coach Kub is a great man & always handles himself with class. I'm grateful for him giving me an opportunity in this league 3 years ago. Wishing him all the best as he moves on.

Cool post.

TheMatrix31
12-08-2013, 02:53 AM
Seems like Cushing is taking the firing a bit rough though. Eh, he's learning it's a business.

bckey
12-08-2013, 08:51 AM

This in a nutshell is the underlying problem with this organization.

Hervoyel
12-08-2013, 09:38 AM
You know how you'll sit down at your computer, check the board and see the same thread at the top for days at a time? You know how sometimes you're like "Not this **** again!" or other times you see the same thread and think it's new news when it's really old news and you say to yourself "Damn! I thought something else happened but it's that same old story! I wish people wouldn't keep bumping that thread"

This has not been a problem with "Kubiak just got fired" :good:

Hard to find someone without a kind word to say about Gary and I'm sure he'll be fine. I don't want him coaching the football team I follow though and I'm pleased that our long Texans-National Nightmare is over.

cuppacoffee
12-08-2013, 09:53 AM
I thought the implosion really picked up steam when the three knuckleheads were outright released.

Just seems that way to me.

:coffee:

thunderkyss
12-08-2013, 10:49 AM
...I'm pleased that our long Texans-National Nightmare is over.

I pray as much. However, I've got a feeling that whoever McNair/Smith decides to be our next HC, is going to decline for a "better" offer. & we'll see exactly who we are.

We're going to be stuck with Chan Gailey, like Buffalo was a couple of years ago & we'll go through that regime for 2-1/2 years.

Wolf
12-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Pure f'ing class

Sadly it didn't work out
https://fbcdn-photos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1458528_10201305053048548_385590304_n.jpg

TheMatrix31
12-08-2013, 07:55 PM
****ing awesome. Makes me really sad it didn't work out here.