PDA

View Full Version : Logan Mankins: Texans D mad at lack of camera time

Mari-OWNED!
12-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Logan Mankins and the Patriots offensive line helped keep Tom Brady off the turf in the second half of their 34-31 comeback win over the Texans. It was no small task given that the Texans had JJ Watt and Antonio Smith coming at them play after play.

Mankins explained that Watt -- who had five tackles and three quarterback hits but no sacks -- is difficult to deal with because of his speed and not his strength.

"He's not the most powerful guy," Mankins told Mike Giardi on Postgame Live. "He's quick, elusive, slippery, he's adept at jumping around you. You've always gotta have your feet happy with that guy. We just kept battling."

And the Texans kept getting frustrated, according to Mankins.

"Those guys are used to making so many plays, when they're not making plays, they do get frustrated," he said. "Those are guys that every play they make, they have to go celebrate. So if they're not celebrating, if they're not getting that camera time, they get mad."

Source: http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/mankins-texans-d-mad-lack-camera-time

There's a video of the Mankins interview in the link. While he does come off as douchey when he takes a shot at Watt, the real reason I'm posting this is the last paragraph about the celebrating.

I know everyone likes to celebrate, but do you guys know of any other team that has taken celebrations to a whole 'nother extreme like the Texans have? The antics have grown stale, especially given the team's record. I feel like I'm back in junior high watching the ridiculousness of the WWF.

It seems as though this team has become at times "me orientated." At times I get the feeling that players on this team are only concerned with their personal stats than the goals of the entire team. Anyways I'd like to hear what you guys think. Is this a maturity issue? A leadership issue? Or hell maybe you even think I'm over-analyzing this issue. Regardless lemme know.

disaacks3
12-02-2013, 01:15 PM
**** him.

The only way to stop this is to pound them into the turf repeatedly. Until the Texans can do that consistently, this is the garbage you get to put up with.

IDEXAN
12-02-2013, 01:35 PM
JJ is a tremendous player, I'm a fan. Is he a "hotdog", a "showboat" as Mankins implies ? Yea, definitetly.

Thorn
12-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Hey, we're 2-10. Is there a reason the players shouldn't be celebrating? :lol:

gwallaia
12-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Hey, we're 2-10. Is there a reason the players shouldn't be celebrating? :lol:

They are playing a game and making millions of dollars. I would celebrate every play!

Hervoyel
12-02-2013, 01:46 PM
I think he's right. I think if Antonio Smith isn't getting to play "Ninja" and JJ isn't doing his "Salute" or finger-wagging thing then they aren't happy. In Smith's case he's a ****ing idiot who should stop running his mouth about how other teams are cheating and play football. I find their little crybaby displays a little embarrassing for the city. So many times during a game I see Texans players gesturing for officials to throw flags. Quit begging for a flag and make the catch!

They're a 2-10 football team that let the Jacksonville Jaguars come into their house and use it as a litter box. They deserve all the scorn they get.

TheIronDuke
12-02-2013, 01:49 PM
I think he's just hating on us because we have more swag, cooler high school letter jackets, and an awesome nickname. BULLS ON PARADE!! BAM!:swatter:

Hervoyel
12-02-2013, 01:49 PM
**** him.

The only way to stop this is to pound them into the turf repeatedly. Until the Texans can do that consistently, this is the garbage you get to put up with.

Yeah, not gonna happen with this bunch of Texans. The only thing that's been pounded into the turf repeatedly was the Texans prospects after getting stomped by the Patriots twice last year.

I don't look at yesterday as a moral victory because that's a shell of the team that beat us twice a year ago and we all know that. If they'd been at full strength it would have been ugly. The Texans are basically a bunch of weak show boats who got the big head the moment they put two winning seasons together back to back.

Not much to be proud of there.

deucetx
12-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Eh, I think he just resents Smith's comments so just a return punch to that statement Antonio made. At the same time I'm not that big on the celebrations myself so I can partially agree with that. I'm more into the idea you've been there before so let's line back up and get back to work. Especially with Smith's celebration that needs it's own choregrapher...

...it's a joke before someone else tries to over analyze fans lol.

HJam72
12-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Let's just remember that a big part of why they do it is that the fans love it.

If the fans stop loving it, it will take them time to realize it.

Me, personally, I'm fine with Antonio's whole comedy schtick about being a ninja, but I don't like the whole choreographed thing on the field. I see it as too much.

My idea of justified, or what should be permissible, celebrating includes spiking the ball, throwing a punch or two in the air, jumping up and down a few times, etc. These are the kinds of things one does in the spur of the moment, not practiced dancing, karate moves, etc. I'm OK with the finger wag, but I don't think he should be allowed to look at the QB and do it (that's taunting). Walk away and do it. I'm OK with the salute, but it is getting old. I think he needs to taper it off some.

All of that is just my opinion, though.

Anyway, like I said, the crowd eats it up, so they keep doing it...

HJam72
12-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Speaking of celebrations, did you guys hear the announcers or happen to notice when Tate scored and apparently pointed back toward Foster on the sidelines before doing Foster's namaste in the endzone? I guess he was showing "some love", as they say, to Foster; BUT, my initial reaction to that was, "Oh, no. He's disrespecting a teammate (& competitor for playing time) in front of everyone..."

rmartin65
12-02-2013, 02:29 PM
JJ is a tremendous player, I'm a fan. Is he a "hotdog", a "showboat" as Mankins implies ? Yea, definitetly.

Agreed. I am a huge fan of Watt the player- wanted the Texans to draft him, and was stoked when they did. However, I hate that he is a showboat. Just play the damn game, and dont celebrate for doing your job.

Thorn
12-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Agreed. I am a huge fan of Watt the player- wanted the Texans to draft him, and was stoked when they did. However, I hate that he is a showboat. Just play the damn game, and dont celebrate for doing your job.

Some players celebrate every time they breath correctly. Some never at all. Big deal. I'll be honest with you, I'm a fairly typical fan when it comes to this. I don't mind our players celebrating, but it irritates the crap out of me when the other team's players do. LOL

HOU-TEX
12-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Am I missing something here? Dang near every player in the league does some sort of celebration after making a good play. Watt does a salute after a sack and the finger wag after a batted ball. How is this "showboating"?

infantrycak
12-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Am I missing something here? Dang near every player in the league does some sort of celebration after making a good play. Watt does a salute after a sack and the finger wag after a batted ball. How is this "showboating"?

Yeah, not seeing the complaint here. His celebrating is there but pretty tame.

I think Antonio's is a little over the top but it isn't like it is constant. He does it on sacks - 6 or 7 times a season.

Speaking of celebrations, did you guys hear the announcers or happen to notice when Tate scored and apparently pointed back toward Foster on the sidelines before doing Foster's namaste in the endzone? I guess he was showing "some love", as they say, to Foster; BUT, my initial reaction to that was, "Oh, no. He's disrespecting a teammate (& competitor for playing time) in front of everyone..."

It was respect. Foster was hugging on Tate like a brother and congratulating him all game.

Norg
12-02-2013, 02:46 PM
he just mad tho Houston has more swag then lame ass Patriots :koolaid:

deucetx
12-02-2013, 02:50 PM

I saw it and didn't think anything about it but showing respect to a teammate who had his season abruptly ended. While they compete for the same job it's been said they get along rather well with each other and are friends.

Playoffs
12-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Sour grapes from the winning team... http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif

Rey
12-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Football is entertainment to me, so I have no issue with a 3 second celebration after big plays. Choreographed or otherwise.

Hervoyel
12-02-2013, 05:03 PM
I've been very down on players getting their strut on since the day Dunta Robinson followed up a garden variety case of good coverage with a small high-five party to congratulate himself for doing his job whereupon Peyton Manning rubbed one out on him the very next play for a big gain. Dunta was too busy celebrating his success to get back up on the line and back to work.

Oh who am I kidding. I've hated it since I watched Chris Dishman taunt another player with a pick and turn the ball over before going into the end zone. Come to think of it didn't Jabbar Gaffney do that too one time?

It typifies the mentality on this team. It's not something I appreciate or enjoy. Frankly the Patriots have it right. Every year Belichick goes around kicking asses with a roster full of guys you usually never heard of along with his core cast of great players. Guys like that FB yesterday who simply refused to not get into the end zone. Never heard of that guy but enjoyed watching him play like he cared.

We have some great players but their heads spend too much time up their posteriors. They don't focus and they don't put out the kind of effort I saw out of the Patriots in the second half Sunday. The Texans players, particularly on defense are just not getting it done and I don't really think that it's all about Wade not putting them in a position to succeed. Sure, I think his system is not particularly complicated. It lacks some of the finer twists of what some other teams are doing. The real killer on our team is guys not getting it done 3 downs in a row. They'll be money in the bank on 1st down, make it even worse on the other team on 2nd down, and then crap their pants and give up a big gain on 3rd down.

They have three hours a week where they simply have to show up and have to be entirely focused on their jobs or they'll get their asses kicked and they can't do it.

New England puts a team on the field every week, every year that takes care of their business on Sunday. Those players probably don't love Bill like our players love Gary or love Wade but they damn sure do what he tells them to do.

ThaShark316
12-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Jabar's goofy ass just lost the ball. Lol what a mistake of a pick he was.

Double Barrel
12-02-2013, 06:40 PM
I've always liked players who act like they've done it before. Behavior epitomized by Earl Campbell.

And yeah, I think it's fun when the team is winning, but a little weird during a long losing streak. I'm sure it's all perception because the players do the same thing regardless, but something just a little too happy to celebrate on the worst team in the league.

That said, I really dislike the celebration for very routine plays, especially when a QB overthrows a WR but the CB is running around with his arms out "no fly zone". Or better yet, ooohhh, you made a tackle. Now make a big deal about doing your job. [/old school]

Goatcheese
12-02-2013, 07:56 PM
This is going to turn into another Battle Red scenario where everyone liked them until Tony Cornhole said they looked like ketchup bottles. Suddenly, something nobody had a problem with is faux pas because a loud mouth moron said something and sheep will be sheep. :kubepalm:

ThaShark316
12-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Folks seem to enjoy the humble braggers here. That's interesting to me...

drs23
12-03-2013, 12:43 AM
This is going to turn into another Battle Red scenario where everyone liked them until Tony Cornhole said they looked like ketchup bottles. Suddenly, something nobody had a problem with is faux pas because a loud mouth moron said something and sheep will be sheep. :kubepalm:

Uh, no. I despised them since day one.

Tony Corn...'s opinion is the only reason I would waiver on this is because I would never knowingly be in agreement with that clown.

But no, they sucked. Good riddance.

Norg
12-03-2013, 12:54 AM
man on he play were Gronk made the TD catch JJwatt should have chipped him hard I know Watt job to ruh the paser but my god f brady is throwing the ball in 1 sec Watt should of just blasted Gronk at the line that would of stopped that play right there

Runner
12-03-2013, 08:11 AM
I've been very down on players getting their strut on since the day Dunta Robinson followed up a garden variety case of good coverage with a small high-five party to congratulate himself for doing his job whereupon Peyton Manning rubbed one out on him the very next play for a big gain. Dunta was too busy celebrating his success to get back up on the line and back to work.

Oh who am I kidding. I've hated it since I watched Chris Dishman taunt another player with a pick and turn the ball over before going into the end zone. Come to think of it didn't Jabbar Gaffney do that too one time?

It typifies the mentality on this team. It's not something I appreciate or enjoy. Frankly the Patriots have it right. Every year Belichick goes around kicking asses with a roster full of guys you usually never heard of along with his core cast of great players. Guys like that FB yesterday who simply refused to not get into the end zone. Never heard of that guy but enjoyed watching him play like he cared.

I've always liked players who act like they've done it before. Behavior epitomized by Earl Campbell.

The ones that got to me were when the receivers made a big deal about having their own TD dances a few years ago. I think this was in those under-achieving years before they even made the playoffs the first time. Of course, most of them didn't see the end zone very often; it must have felt very special.

HJam72
12-03-2013, 08:29 AM

Using the all red uniforms as the perfect example, a lot of times people don't voice their dissenting opinion until somebody else brings it up. I don't think most of them have actually changed their minds. Antonio makes me laugh with the whole ninja assassin schtick, but it didn't just suddenly occur to me that the choreographed invisible sword play on the field is a bit much. Maybe if he only did it like twice a year or something...

cuppacoffee
12-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Article from the sporting news:

HOUSTON Houston defensive end Antonio Smith is apologizing for using the word "spying" about New England, but isn't exactly backing down from the accusations he made after the Texans' loss to the Patriots.

On Sunday after Houston's 34-31 loss, Smith told reporters that the Texans had some new wrinkles in their defense and it was "miraculous" how the Patriots changed their offense to key on the defense.

He said then: "Either teams are spying on us or scouting us. I don't know what it is."

On Monday, he said that he thought reporters in Houston knew him well enough to know that he could be joking and still be curious about something like this at the same time.

He says: "I'm sorry I said the word spying because of a prior engagement of them being caught spying before."

What's that old saying? Engage brain before operating mouth?

Bad enough embarrassing yourself on the field but doubly embarrassing to say this in the media after getting torched.

Shut up and play better.

Side note, we scored 31 points and gave up 34. Seems to me our D is the culprit here. Wade's history says so. His D is kept simple so the players don't have to think? How hard would it be for a thinking QB to defeat it?

Obviously not very hard.

:coffee:

IDEXAN
12-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Are we 10-2 or 2-10 ? Hey I thought JJ was all about the team, but looks like even when his team is sucking worst of all and getting its azz handed to it again and again he's still celebrating, show-boating big-time, saying "hey look at me, look at me".

infantrycak
12-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Are we 10-2 or 2-10 ? Hey I thought JJ was all about the team, but looks like even when his team is sucking worst of all and getting its azz handed to it again and again he's still celebrating, show-boating big-time, saying "hey look at me, look at me".

Some people think it is just the opposite with him trying to inspire both the team and the fans. It's different than TD celebrations which are basically about the player because generally he's about to head back and line up again hopefully with a fired up crowd making noise.

badboy
12-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Yeah, not gonna happen with this bunch of Texans. The only thing that's been pounded into the turf repeatedly was the Texans prospects after getting stomped by the Patriots twice last year.

I don't look at yesterday as a moral victory because that's a shell of the team that beat us twice a year ago and we all know that. If they'd been at full strength it would have been ugly. The Texans are basically a bunch of weak show boats who got the big head the moment they put two winning seasons together back to back.

Not much to be proud of there.So if Texans were at full strength it might not have been so ugly? :roast:

HOU-TEX
12-04-2013, 10:17 AM

The Jags were the worst team in the NFL when we played them a couple weeks ago. Was MJD's little celebration after a TD showboating? Andre Branch did a huge celebration after sacking Keenum....showboating?

Please, dang near every player in the league celebrates. No matter the record or score.

Double Barrel
12-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Please, dang near every player in the league celebrates. No matter the record or score.

Except the ultra-cool ones, like, y'know, Andre Johnson. :kitten:

I've got mixed feelings on it. As a kid, I liked the Billy "White Shoes" Johnson dance that started a lot of it, but always had tremendous respect for Earl Campbell who never celebrated.

And I guess those guys that downplayed it have always stuck in my mind. Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Earl, AJ, among others. They just seem badass because they made it look easy and acted like professionals when they did/do it.

I don't think the NFL should ban any of it, but I cannot help but see a "look at me!' narcissism when it happens. Certainly a duality in my perception, I guess.

HOU-TEX
12-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Except the ultra-cool ones, like, y'know, Andre Johnson. :kitten:

I've got mixed feelings on it. As a kid, I liked the Billy "White Shoes" Johnson dance that started a lot of it, but always had tremendous respect for Earl Campbell who never celebrated.

And I guess those guys that downplayed it have always stuck in my mind. Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Earl, AJ, among others. They just seem badass because they made it look easy and acted like professionals when they did/do it.

I don't think the NFL should ban any of it, but I cannot help but see a "look at me!' narcissism when it happens. Certainly a duality in my perception, I guess.

I think some are a bit over the top. Antonio's crap is pretty dumb imo. The cat that sacked Keenum went a bit overboard. I don't have a problem with celebrations unless they're to the Chad Johnson/TO extent.

I just don't see how a finger wag and a salute can be considered showboating. Ridiculous, imo

Hervoyel
12-04-2013, 12:53 PM
So if Texans were at full strength it might not have been so ugly? :roast:

Maybe, I don't know. The Texans arguably are at full strength when Cushing is gone because he's gone more than he's here.

I know they embarrassed us twice a year ago when we were much more healthy than we are now. Maybe not full strength but just running our usual defense with a big hole in the middle where Brian is supposed to be.

Texan Asylum
12-04-2013, 02:58 PM

We have some great players but their heads spend too much time up their posteriors. They don't focus and they don't put out the kind of effort I saw out of the Patriots in the second half Sunday. The Texans players, particularly on defense are just not getting it done and I don't really think that it's all about Wade not putting them in a position to succeed. Sure, I think his system is not particularly complicated. It lacks some of the finer twists of what some other teams are doing. The real killer on our team is guys not getting it done 3 downs in a row. They'll be money in the bank on 1st down, make it even worse on the other team on 2nd down, and then crap their pants and give up a big gain on 3rd down.

They have three hours a week where they simply have to show up and have to be entirely focused on their jobs or they'll get their asses kicked and they can't do it.

New England puts a team on the field every week, every year that takes care of their business on Sunday. Those players probably don't love Bill like our players love Gary or love Wade but they damn sure do what he tells them to do.

Truth.